Genomes and Genes
Summary: A species of ALPHAVIRUS causing an acute dengue-like fever.
Publications219 found, 100 shown here
- Infection with chikungunya virus in Italy: an outbreak in a temperate regionG Rezza
Department of Infectious, Parasitic, and Immunomediated Diseases, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Lancet 370:1840-6. 2007b>Chikungunya virus (CHIKV), which is transmitted by Aedes spp mosquitoes, has recently caused several outbreaks on islands in the Indian Ocean and on the Indian subcontinent. We report on an outbreak in Italy.
- Biology and pathogenesis of chikungunya virusOlivier Schwartz
Institut Pasteur, 28 rue du Dr Roux, Paris 75724 Cedex 15, France
Nat Rev Microbiol 8:491-500. 2010b>Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) is a re-emerging mosquito-borne alphavirus responsible for a recent, unexpectedly severe epidemic in countries of the Indian Ocean region...
- A single mutation in chikungunya virus affects vector specificity and epidemic potentialKonstantin A Tsetsarkin
Department of Pathology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas, United States of America
PLoS Pathog 3:e201. 2007b>Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) is an emerging arbovirus associated with several recent large-scale epidemics...
- Chikungunya disease in nonhuman primates involves long-term viral persistence in macrophagesKarine Labadie
CEA, Division of Immuno Virology Institute of Emerging Diseases and Innovative Therapies, Fontenay aux Roses, France
J Clin Invest 120:894-906. 2010b>Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) is a mosquito-borne alphavirus that induces in humans a disease characterized by fever, rash, and pain in muscles and joints...
- A mouse model for Chikungunya: young age and inefficient type-I interferon signaling are risk factors for severe diseaseThérèse Couderc
Groupe Microorganismes et Barrières de l Hôte, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
PLoS Pathog 4:e29. 2008b>Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) is a re-emerging arbovirus responsible for a massive outbreak currently afflicting the Indian Ocean region and India...
- Chikungunya, an epidemic arbovirosisGilles Pialoux
Hopital Tenon, Service des Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, Paris, France
Lancet Infect Dis 7:319-27. 2007..The virus was first isolated in 1953 in Tanzania. Chikungunya virus is a member of the genus Alphavirus and the family Togaviridae...
- Re-emergence of Chikungunya virus in South-east Asia: virological evidence from Sri Lanka and SingaporeH C Hapuarachchi
National Environment Agency, Environmental Health Institute, Singapore
J Gen Virol 91:1067-76. 2010..However, molecular epidemiological data to explain the recent spread and evolution of Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) in the Asian region are still limited...
- Outbreak of chikungunya on Reunion Island: early clinical and laboratory features in 157 adult patientsGianandrea Borgherini
Service de Pneumologie et Maladies Infectieuses, Groupe Hospitalier Sud Reunion, Saint Pierre, La Reunion, France
Clin Infect Dis 44:1401-7. 2007..Chikungunya is a reemerging disease. In 2005-2006, a severe outbreak occurred on Reunion Island in the southwestern part of the Indian Ocean. Other islands in this area were affected during the same period...
- Replication cycle of chikungunya: a re-emerging arbovirusMaxime Solignat
Universite Montpellier 1, Centre d Etudes d Agents Pathogenes et Biotechnologies pour la Sante CPBS, Montpellier, France
Virology 393:183-97. 2009..The 2005-2006 year unprecedented epidemics of chikungunya virus (CHIKV) in the French Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean, followed by several outbreaks in other parts of ..
- Persistent chronic inflammation and infection by Chikungunya arthritogenic alphavirus in spite of a robust host immune responseJean Jacques Hoarau
Biology Unit, Centre Hospitalier Régional Nord Félix Guyon and Cyclotron Réunion Océan Indien, Universite de la Reunion, St Denis, France
J Immunol 184:5914-27. 2010Alphaviruses, including Chikungunya virus (CHIKV), produce a transient illness in humans, but severe forms leading to chronic incapacitating arthralgia/arthritis have been reported by mechanisms largely ill-characterized...
- Chikungunya virus, southeastern FranceMarc Grandadam
Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Emerg Infect Dis 17:910-3. 2011In September 2010, autochthonous transmission of chikungunya virus was recorded in southeastern France, where the Aedes albopictus mosquito vector is present...
- Chikungunya virus induces IPS-1-dependent innate immune activation and protein kinase R-independent translational shutoffLaura K White
Oregon Health and Science University, Vaccine and Gene Therapy Institute, 505 NW 185th Ave, Portland, OR 97006, USA
J Virol 85:606-20. 2011b>Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) is an arthritogenic mosquito-transmitted alphavirus that is undergoing reemergence in areas around the Indian Ocean...
- Glycoprotein organization of Chikungunya virus particles revealed by X-ray crystallographyJames E Voss
Institut Pasteur, Departement de Virologie, Unité de Virologie Structurale, 25 rue du Dr Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Nature 468:709-12. 2010b>Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) is an emerging mosquito-borne alphavirus that has caused widespread outbreaks of debilitating human disease in the past five years...
- A virus-like particle vaccine for epidemic Chikungunya virus protects nonhuman primates against infectionWataru Akahata
Vaccine Research Center, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, US National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Nat Med 16:334-8. 2010b>Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) has infected millions of people in Africa, Europe and Asia since this alphavirus reemerged from Kenya in 2004...
- Genome-scale phylogenetic analyses of chikungunya virus reveal independent emergences of recent epidemics and various evolutionary ratesSara M Volk
University of Texas Medical Branch, 301 University Blvd, Galveston, TX 77555 0609
J Virol 84:6497-504. 2010b>Chikungunya virus (CHIKV), a mosquito-borne alphavirus, has traditionally circulated in Africa and Asia, causing human febrile illness accompanied by severe, chronic joint pain...
- Two Chikungunya isolates from the outbreak of La Reunion (Indian Ocean) exhibit different patterns of infection in the mosquito, Aedes albopictusMarie Vazeille
Département de Virologie Chikungunya program, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
PLoS ONE 2:e1168. 2007..The implicated vector was Aedes albopictus. Here, we present the first study on the susceptibility of Ae. albopictus populations to sympatric CHIKV isolates from La Réunion Island and compare it to other virus/vector combinations...
- Impact of Chikungunya virus infection on health status and quality of life: a retrospective cohort studyMan Koumba Soumahoro
Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Unité Mixte de Recherche en Santé 707, Paris, France
PLoS ONE 4:e7800. 2009Persistent symptoms, mainly joint and muscular pain and depression, have been reported several months after Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) infection...
- Genome microevolution of chikungunya viruses causing the Indian Ocean outbreakIsabelle Schuffenecker
Centre National de Référence des Arbovirus, Institut Pasteur, Lyon, France
PLoS Med 3:e263. 2006A chikungunya virus outbreak of unprecedented magnitude is currently ongoing in Indian Ocean territories. In Réunion Island, this alphavirus has already infected about one-third of the human population...
- IL-1beta, IL-6, and RANTES as biomarkers of Chikungunya severityLisa F P Ng
Singapore Immunology Network, Agency for Science, Technology and Research, Singapore
PLoS ONE 4:e4261. 2009Little is known about the immunopathogenesis of Chikungunya virus. Circulating levels of immune mediators and growth factors were analyzed from patients infected during the first Singaporean Chikungunya fever outbreak in early 2008 to ..
- [Aedes albopictus, vector of chikungunya and dengue viruses in Reunion Island: biology and control]H Delatte
UR 016, IRD, BP 64501, 34394 Montpellier 5, France
Parasite 15:3-13. 2008b>Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) and dengue virus (DENV) are mosquito-borne viruses transmitted by the Aedes genus. Dengue is considered as the most important arbovirus disease throughout the World...
- Estimating Chikungunya prevalence in La Réunion Island outbreak by serosurveys: two methods for two critical times of the epidemicPatrick Gerardin
Centre d Investigation Clinique Epidémiologie Clinique de La Réunion, Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Groupe Hospitalier Sud Reunion, Saint Pierre
BMC Infect Dis 8:99. 2008b>Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) caused a major two-wave seventeen-month-long outbreak in La Réunion Island in 2005-2006...
- Concurrent chikungunya and dengue virus infections during simultaneous outbreaks, Gabon, 2007Eric M Leroy
Centre International de Recherches Medicales de Franceville, Franceville, Gabon
Emerg Infect Dis 15:591-3. 2009..Chikungunya or dengue-2 virus infections were identified in 321 patients; 8 patients had documented co-infections. Aedes albopictus was identified as the principal vector for the transmission of both viruses...
- Multidisciplinary prospective study of mother-to-child chikungunya virus infections on the island of La RéunionPatrick Gerardin
Neonatal and Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, pôle Mère Enfant, Groupe Hospitalier Sud Reunion, Saint Pierre, La Reunion, France
PLoS Med 5:e60. 2008An outbreak of chikungunya virus affected over one-third of the population of La Réunion Island between March 2005 and December 2006...
- Chikungunya virus mobilizes the apoptotic machinery to invade host cell defensesPascale Krejbich-Trotot
GRI IRG Immunopathology and Infection Research Grouping, University of La Réunion, CYROI, 2 rue Maxime Rivière, 97491, Ste Clotilde, Reunion
FASEB J 25:314-25. 2011b>Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) surprised medical workers by a massive outbreak in the Indian Ocean region, reaching Europe in 2007, with exceptional pathologies in infants and elderly patients...
- Chikungunya fever: an epidemiological review of a re-emerging infectious diseaseJ Erin Staples
Arboviral Diseases Branch, Division of Vector Borne Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Fort Collins, Colorado 80521, USA
Clin Infect Dis 49:942-8. 2009..The disease is caused by Chikungunya virus (CHIKV), an arthropod-borne virus that is transmitted to humans primarily via the bite of an infected ..
- Persistent arthralgia associated with chikungunya virus: a study of 88 adult patients on reunion islandGianandrea Borgherini
Service de Pneumologie et Maladies Infectieuses, Groupe Hospitalier Sud Reunion, Saint Pierre, La Reunion, France
Clin Infect Dis 47:469-75. 2008An outbreak of chikungunya virus infection occurred on Reunion Island during the period 2005-2006. Persistent arthralgia after chikungunya virus infection has been reported, but few studies have treated this aspect of the disease.
- Chikungunya: an emerging and spreading arthropod-borne viral diseaseFrancesca Cavrini
The Emilia Romagna Regional Reference Centre for Microbiological Emergencies CRREM Unit of Microbiology, St Orsola Malpighi Hospital, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
J Infect Dev Ctries 3:744-52. 2009..Currently, Chikungunya is spreading in Southeast Asian aspects, clinical pictures, diagnosis and treatment of the disease caused by Chikungunya virus.
- International diagnostic accuracy study for the serological detection of chikungunya virus infectionM Niedrig
Centre for Biological Safety ZBS 1, Robert Koch Institut, Berlin, Germany
Clin Microbiol Infect 15:880-4. 2009External quality assurance for serological detection of chikungunya virus infection was performed to assess the diagnostic quality of expert laboratories...
- Understanding the alphaviruses: recent research on important emerging pathogens and progress towards their controlE A Gould
Institut de Recherche pour le Développement UMR190 Unité des Virus Emergents, Universite de la Mediterranee, Marseille, France
Antiviral Res 87:111-24. 2010..their classification, epidemiology and evolutionary history and the expanding geographic distribution of Chikungunya virus, we review progress in understanding the structure and function of alphavirus replicative enzymes achieved ..
- Chikungunya virus nonstructural protein 2 inhibits type I/II interferon-stimulated JAK-STAT signalingJelke J Fros
Laboratory of Virology, Wageningen University, Droevendaalsesteeg 1, 6708 PB Wageningen, Netherlands
J Virol 84:10877-87. 2010b>Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) is an emerging human pathogen transmitted by mosquitoes...
- Chikungunya virus arthritis in adult wild-type miceJoy Gardner
Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Australian Centre for International and Tropical Health, Brisbane, Australia
J Virol 84:8021-32. 2010b>Chikungunya virus is a mosquito-borne arthrogenic alphavirus that has recently reemerged to produce the largest epidemic ever documented for this virus...
- Active infection of human blood monocytes by Chikungunya virus triggers an innate immune responseZhisheng Her
Singapore Immunology Network, Agency for Science, Technology and Research, Biopolis, Singapore
J Immunol 184:5903-13. 2010b>Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) is an alphavirus that causes chronic and incapacitating arthralgia in humans. To date, interactions between the immune system and the different stages of the virus life cycle remain poorly defined...
- An animal model for studying the pathogenesis of chikungunya virus infectionSarah A Ziegler
Department of Pathology and Center for Biodefense and Emerging Infectious Diseases, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555 0609, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 79:133-9. 2008Newborn and 14-day-old mice inoculated subcutaneously with chikungunya virus (CHIKV) developed lethargy, difficulty walking, dragging of hind limbs, and reduced weight gain within 7-10 days after infection (PI)...
- Chikungunya virus, Cameroon, 2006Christophe N Peyrefitte
Institut de Medecine Tropicale du Service de Sante des Armees, Marseille, France
Emerg Infect Dis 13:768-71. 2007We report the isolation of chikungunya virus from a patient during an outbreak of a denguelike syndrome in Cameroon in 2006...
- Post-epidemic Chikungunya disease on Reunion Island: course of rheumatic manifestations and associated factors over a 15-month periodDaouda Sissoko
Institut de Veille Sanitaire, Cellule Interrégionale d Epidémiologie Réunion Mayotte, Direction Régionale des Affaires Sanitaires et Sociales, Saint Denis, La Reunion, France
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 3:e389. 2009Although the acute manifestations of Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) illness are well-documented, few data exist about the long-term rheumatic outcomes of CHIKV-infected patients...
- Chikungunya: a bending realityZhisheng Her
Singapore Immunology Network, Agency for Science, Technology and Research, Immunos, Singapore
Microbes Infect 11:1165-76. 2009Chikungunya fever is an acute illness caused by the arbovirus Chikungunya virus. The virus is transmitted primarily in a sylvatic cycle involving the Aedes mosquitoes...
- Tracking epidemic Chikungunya virus into the Indian Ocean from East AfricaM Kariuki Njenga
International Emerging Infections Program Kenya, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Nairobi, Kenya
J Gen Virol 89:2754-60. 2008The largest documented outbreak of Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) disease occurred in the Indian Ocean islands and India during 2004-2007...
- Appearance of E1: A226V mutant Chikungunya virus in Coastal Karnataka, India during 2008 outbreakS R Santhosh
Division of Virology, Defence R and D Establishment DRDE, Jhansi Road, Gwalior, MP, PIN 474 002, India
Virol J 6:172. 2009..isolation, RT-PCR and genome sequencing revealed the presence and continued circulation of A226V mutant Chikungunya virus. The appearance of this mutant virus was found to be associated with higher prevalence of vector Aedes ..
- Comparative full genome analysis revealed E1: A226V shift in 2007 Indian Chikungunya virus isolatesS R Santhosh
Division of Virology, Defence R and D Establishment, Gwalior, MP, India
Virus Res 135:36-41. 2008The resurgence of Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) in the form of unprecedented explosive epidemic after a gap of 32 years in India is a point of major public health concern...
- Outbreak of dengue and Chikungunya fevers, Toamasina, Madagascar, 2006Mahery Ratsitorahina
Institut Pasteur de Madagascar, Antananarivo, Madagascar
Emerg Infect Dis 14:1135-7. 2008..Aedes albopictus was the only potential vector collected. Of 4,242 randomly selected representative residents interviewed retrospectively, 67.5% reported a dengue-like syndrome during this period...
- Atypical Chikungunya virus infections: clinical manifestations, mortality and risk factors for severe disease during the 2005-2006 outbreak on RéunionA Economopoulou
Institute de Veille Sanitaire, France
Epidemiol Infect 137:534-41. 2009..During winter 2005, six patients developed meningoencephalitis and acute hepatitis due to Chikungunya virus. Our objectives were to determine the incidence and mortality of atypical Chikungunya viral infections and ..
- Type I IFN controls chikungunya virus via its action on nonhematopoietic cellsClementine Schilte
Department of Immunology, Unité Immunobiologie des Cellules Dendritiques, Institut Pasteur, 75724 Paris, Cedex 15, France
J Exp Med 207:429-42. 2010b>Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) is the causative agent of an outbreak that began in La Réunion in 2005 and remains a major public health concern in India, Southeast Asia, and southern Europe...
- A serological study of Chikungunya virus transmission in Yogyakarta, Indonesia: evidence for the first outbreak since 1982Kevin R Porter
Viral Diseases Program, US Naval Medical Research Unit No 2, Jakarta, Indonesia
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 35:408-15. 2004A study of epidemic transmission of Chikungunya virus (CHIK) was initiated in April 1999 in Yogyakarta, Indonesia. Three hundred seventeen volunteers from three kelurahans (sub-districts) were recruited...
- Chikungunya outbreak, South India, 2006Prabhdeep Kaur
National Institute of Epidemiology, Chennai, India
Emerg Infect Dis 14:1623-5. 2008..Transmission was facilitated by Aedes aegypti mosquitoes in peridomestic water containers, as indicated by a high Breteau index. We recommended vector control measures and health education to promote safe water storage practices...
- Persistent arthralgia induced by Chikungunya virus infection is associated with interleukin-6 and granulocyte macrophage colony-stimulating factorAngela Chow
Communicable Disease Centre, Singapore
J Infect Dis 203:149-57. 2011b>Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) infection induces arthralgia. The involvement of inflammatory cytokines and chemokines has been suggested, but very little is known about their secretion profile in CHIKV-infected patients.
- Endocytosis of chikungunya virus into mammalian cells: role of clathrin and early endosomal compartmentsEric Bernard
Centre d Etudes d Agents Pathogenes et Biotechnologies pour la Sante CPBS, CNRS UMR5236, Universite Montpellier 1, 2, Montpellier, France
PLoS ONE 5:e11479. 2010The replicative cycle of chikungunya virus (CHIKV), an alphavirus that recently re-emerged in India and in Indian Ocean area, remains mostly unknown...
- Chikungunya fever in travelers returning to Europe from the Indian Ocean region, 2006Marcus Panning
Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine, Hamburg, Germany
Emerg Infect Dis 14:416-22. 2008..Soon after onset of symptoms, patients had IgG and IgM and high viral loads (some >10(9) copies/mL plasma). These data will help healthcare providers select diagnostic tests for returning travelers...
- Host immune response to mosquito-transmitted chikungunya virus differs from that elicited by needle inoculated virusSaravanan Thangamani
Department of Pathology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e12137. 2010..In this report, we compared host immune responses to chikungunya virus (CHIKV) transmission by (1) mosquito bite, or (2) by needle inoculation.
- Presence of the A226V mutation in autochthonous and imported Italian chikungunya virus strainsLicia Bordi
Clin Infect Dis 47:428-9. 2008
- Concurrent outbreaks of Chikungunya and Dengue fever in Kandy, Sri Lanka, 2006-07: a comparative analysis of clinical and laboratory featuresS A M Kularatne
Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Peradeniya University, Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
Postgrad Med J 85:342-6. 2009..To compare the clinical and laboratory features of confirmed cases of Chikungunya and Dengue fever; to validate the clinical diagnosis based on serology...
- Chikungunya fever in Singapore: acute clinical and laboratory features, and factors associated with persistent arthralgiaM K Win
Department of Clinical Epidemiology, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, 11 Jalan Tan Tock Seng 308433, Singapore mar kyaw
J Clin Virol 49:111-4. 2010..During the initial outbreak period, a strict containment strategy was adopted and all chikungunya PCR-confirmed cases were isolated and hospitalised at the designated national outbreak management centre...
- Wolbachia modulates Chikungunya replication in Aedes albopictusL Mousson
Institut Pasteur, Génétique Moléculaire des Bunyavirus, F 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Mol Ecol 19:1953-64. 2010The Aedes albopictus mosquito has been involved as the principal vector of recent major outbreaks due to the chikungunya virus (CHIKV). The species is naturally infected by two strains of Wolbachia (wAlbA and wAlbB)...
- Clinical progression of chikungunya fever during acute and chronic arthritic stages and the changes in joint morphology as revealed by imagingSathya Prakash Manimunda
Regional Medical Research Centre RMRC ICMR, Post Bag No 13, Dollygunj, Port Blair 744101, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, India
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 104:392-9. 2010..The study proves with relative certainty that CHIK arthritis is chronic inflammatory erosive arthritis, which has implications for management of the infection...
- Geographic and ecological distribution of the dengue and chikungunya virus vectors Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus in three major Cameroonian townsB Kamgang
Unité de Recherche Caractérisation et Contrôle des populations de Vecteurs CCPV, Institut de recherche pour le developpement IRD, Montpellier, France
Med Vet Entomol 24:132-41. 2010..aegypti tended to breed in containers located in environments with a high density of buildings. These findings may have important implications for vector control strategies...
- Immuno-biology of Chikungunya and implications for disease interventionYiu Wing Kam
Singapore Immunology Network, Agency for Science, Technology and Research, 8A Biomedical Grove, Biopolis, Singapore
Microbes Infect 11:1186-96. 2009..This review discusses what is currently known on the immuno-biology of Chikungunya and areas that will be important for the development of immune-based antiviral control strategies...
- Chikungunya: a potentially emerging epidemic?Michelle M Thiboutot
Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 4:e623. 2010b>Chikungunya virus is a mosquito-borne emerging pathogen that has a major health impact in humans and causes fever disease, headache, rash, nausea, vomiting, myalgia, and arthralgia...
- Chikungunya virus of Asian and Central/East African genotypes in MalaysiaI Ching Sam
Tropical Infectious Diseases Research and Education Centre, Department of Medical Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, University Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
J Clin Virol 46:180-3. 2009b>Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) of the Central/East African genotype has caused large outbreaks worldwide in recent years...
- Host alternation of chikungunya virus increases fitness while restricting population diversity and adaptability to novel selective pressuresLark L Coffey
Institut Pasteur, Viral Populations and Pathogenesis, CNRS URA 3015, 28 rue du Dr Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
J Virol 85:1025-35. 2011The mechanisms by which RNA arboviruses, including chikungunya virus (CHIKV), evolve and maintain the ability to infect vertebrate and invertebrate hosts are poorly understood...
- Inhibition of Chikungunya virus infection in cultured human muscle cells by furin inhibitors: impairment of the maturation of the E2 surface glycoproteinSimona Ozden
Unité d Epidémiologie et Physiopathologie des Virus Oncogènes, CNRS URA 3015, Institut Pasteur, 75724 Paris, France
J Biol Chem 283:21899-908. 2008b>Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) is a mosquito-transmitted Alphavirus that causes in humans an acute infection characterized by polyarthralgia, fever, myalgia, and headache...
- Chikungunya: an overviewA B Sudeep
National Institute of Virology, 20 A, Dr Ambedkar Road, Pune 411 001, India
J Biosci 33:443-9. 2008..This review describes CHIK in general and highlights the various clinico-pathological aspects observed during the recent outbreak...
- Mucocutaneous features of Chikungunya fever: a study from an outbreak in West Bengal, IndiaDebabrata Bandyopadhyay
Department of Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy, RG Kar Medical College, Kolkata, India
Int J Dermatol 47:1148-52. 2008..Chikungunya fever (CF) epidemic has recently re-emerged in India on a large scale affecting many parts of the country. We have reviewed the mucocutaneous manifestations of the disease in a number of cases...
- Imported Chikungunya Infection, ItalyAnna Beltrame
Emerg Infect Dis 13:1264-6. 2007
- Blood-feeding behavior of Aedes albopictus, a vector of Chikungunya on La RéunionHelene Delatte
Research Unit 016, Institut de recherche pour le developpement IRD, Saint Pierre, France
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 10:249-58. 2010b>Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) has long been considered to be transmitted to humans by the human-biting mosquito Aedes aegypti, especially in Africa...
- Chikungunya virus and Aedes mosquitoes: saliva is infectious as soon as two days after oral infectionMathieu Dubrulle
Institut Pasteur, Génétique Moléculaire des Bunyavirus, Paris, France
PLoS ONE 4:e5895. 2009Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus are potential vectors of chikungunya virus (CHIKV)...
- Immunogenicity of novel consensus-based DNA vaccines against Chikungunya virusKaruppiah Muthumani
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Vaccine 26:5128-34. 2008b>Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) is an emerging arbovirus and is an important human pathogen...
- On chikungunya acute infection and chloroquine treatmentXavier de Lamballerie
Unite des Virus Emergents, Université de la Méditerranée and Institut de Recherche pour le Développement, Marseille, France
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 8:837-9. 2008..01). In conclusion, our results suggest that there is currently no justification for the use of chloroquine to treat acute chikungunya infections...
- Chikungunya in north-eastern Italy: a summing up of the outbreakR Angelini
Dipartimento Sanita Pubblica, Azienda Unita Sanitaria Locale (Department of Public Health, Local Health Unit, Ravenna, Italy
Euro Surveill 12:E071122.2. 2007
- First report of chikungunya from the MaldivesAbdul Azeez Yoosuf
Ministry of Health, Malé 20379, Republic of Maldives
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 103:192-6. 2009..The illness was suspected as being due to chikungunya virus based on clinical symptoms and the prevailing chikungunya epidemic in the Indian Ocean region...
- An outbreak of yellow fever with concurrent chikungunya virus transmission in South Kordofan, Sudan, 2005L Hannah Gould
Division of Vector Borne Infectious Diseases, National Center for Zoonotic, Vector Borne and Enteric Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Fort Collins, CO, USA
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 102:1247-54. 2008..IgM antibodies to chikungunya virus were detected in five (27%) ill persons and three (19%) asymptomatic persons...
- Neurologic manifestations of pediatric chikungunya infectionStephanie Robin
Service de Pediatrie, centre hospitalier départemental Félix Guyon, La Reunion, France
J Child Neurol 23:1028-35. 2008b>Chikungunya virus, a mosquito-borne arbovirus, was responsible for a massive epidemic in La Réunion Island during 2005 to 2006. The disease is usually benign, but neurologic involvement, with sometimes fatal outcome, has been described...
- Destructive arthritis in a patient with chikungunya virus infection with persistent specific IgM antibodiesDenis Malvy
Travel Clinics and Tropical Disease Unit, Department of Internal Medicine, Infectious Diseases and Tropical Medicine, University Hospital Center, Bordeaux, F 33075 France
BMC Infect Dis 9:200. 2009..Up to now, the pathophysiology of the chronic stage is poorly understood...
- Prophylaxis and therapy for Chikungunya virus infectionThérèse Couderc
Groupe Microorganismes et Barrières de l Hôte and Unité Interactions Moléculaires Flavivirus Hôtes, Centre National de Référence des Arbovirus, Institut Pasteur, INSERM, Avenir U604, and Universite Paris Descartes, Hopital Necker Enfants Malades, Paris, France
J Infect Dis 200:516-23. 2009b>Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) is a recently reemerged arbovirus responsible for a massive outbreak of infection in the Indian Ocean region and India that has a very significant potential to spread globally because of the worldwide ..
- The Chikungunya epidemic in Italy and its repercussion on the blood systemGiancarlo Maria Liumbruno
Centro Nazionale Sangue, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Roma, Italy
Blood Transfus 6:199-210. 2008The Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) is transmitted by Aedes mosquitoes and recently caused a massive epidemic on La Réunion Island, in the Indian Ocean...
- Assessment of immunogenic potential of Vero adapted formalin inactivated vaccine derived from novel ECSA genotype of Chikungunya virusMugdha Tiwari
Defence Research and Development Establishment, Gwalior, M P, India
Vaccine 27:2513-22. 2009The recent resurgence of Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) in India and Indian Ocean Islands with unusual clinical severity is a matter of great public health concern...
- Chikungunya: a risk for Mediterranean countries?Marie Vazeille
Institut Pasteur, Génétique Moléculaire des Bunyavirus, 25 28 Rue du Dr Roux, F 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Acta Trop 105:200-2. 2008....
- Chikungunya virus in Aedes albopictus, ItalyPaolo Bonilauri
Emerg Infect Dis 14:852-4. 2008
- Chikungunya virus takes centre stage in virally induced arthritis: possible cellular and molecular mechanisms to pathogenesisMarie Christine Jaffar-Bandjee
Infection Research Grouping, University of La Réunion, St Denis, Ile de La Réunion
Microbes Infect 11:1206-18. 2009b>Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) causes an acute symptomatic illness with fever, skin rash (hypersensitivity vasculitis), incapacitating arthralgia which can evolve to chronic arthritis in elderly patients...
- Pan-European Chikungunya surveillance: designing risk stratified surveillance zonesNatasha Tilston
ieSim, London, United Kingdom, formerly at the Institute for the Environment, Brunel University West London, Uxbridge, UK
Int J Health Geogr 8:61. 2009..Therefore this study represents a first attempt at creating risk stratified surveillance zones, which we believe could be usefully refined with the use of higher resolution climate data and more complete air travel data...
- Chimeric alphavirus vaccine candidates for chikungunyaEryu Wang
Center for Biodefense and Emerging Infectious Diseases, and Sealy Center for Vaccine Development, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555, United States
Vaccine 26:5030-9. 2008b>Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) is an emerging alphavirus that has caused major epidemics in India and islands off the east coast of Africa since 2005...
- Chikungunya: a reviewManisha Jain
Department of Microbiology, Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi 110 002, India
Trop Doct 38:70-2. 2008The Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) is a mosquito-borne Alphavirus, which causes epidemics of fever, rash and polyarthralgia in Africa and Asia...
- A report of 21 cases of rheumatoid arthritis following Chikungunya fever. A mean follow-up of two yearsEric Bouquillard
Service de Rhumatologie, 39, rue du Four à Chaux, 97410 Saint Pierre, France
Joint Bone Spine 76:654-7. 2009..We report 21 cases of rheumatoid arthritis (RA) after Chikungunya infection that were diagnosed at a rheumatological centre in Reunion Island...
- Expression and evaluation of Chikungunya virus E1 and E2 envelope proteins for serodiagnosis of Chikungunya virus infectionByungKi Cho
Standard Diagnostics Inc, Yongin, Korea
Yonsei Med J 49:828-35. 2008b>Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) causes endemic or epidemic outbreaks of CHIKV fever, which is a mosquitoe- transmitted viral disease in Africa, India, South-East Asia, and recently Southern Europe...
- Factors associated with persistence of arthralgia among Chikungunya virus-infected travellers: report of 42 French casesSophie Larrieu
Cellule Interrégionale d Epidémiologie d Aquitaine, Bordeaux, France
J Clin Virol 47:85-8. 2010..In 2005-2006, a major epidemic of CHIKV infection occurred in the Islands of the south-western Indian Ocean, and longstanding manifestations seemed to be more frequent than described before...
- Infectious clones of Chikungunya virus (La RÃ©union isolate) for vector competence studiesKonstantin Tsetsarkin
Department of Pathology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77539-0609, USA
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 6:325-37. 2006The recent outbreak of Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) on several islands in the Indian Ocean and in India has focused attention on this reemerging virus and highlighted the need for development of new tools to study vector-virus-host ..
- Design of chimeric alphaviruses with a programmed, attenuated, cell type-restricted phenotypeDal Young Kim
Department of Microbiology, BBRB 373 Box 3, University of Alabama, 1530 Third Avenue South, Birmingham, AL 35294 2170, USA
J Virol 85:4363-76. 2011..The importance of alphaviruses has been strongly underappreciated; however, epidemics of chikungunya virus (CHIKV), causing millions of cases of severe and often persistent arthritis in the Indian subcontinent, have ..
- Limited potential for mosquito transmission of a live, attenuated chikungunya virus vaccineM J Turell
Department of Arboviral Entomology, U S Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, Fort Detrick, Frederick, Maryland
Am J Trop Med Hyg 47:98-103. 1992..Although the vaccine was transmitted by mosquitoes after intrathoracic inoculation, there was no evidence of reversion to a virulent phenotype...
- [The Chikungunya virus]E Nakoune
Laboratoire de Virologie, CHU de Nancy
Ann Biol Clin (Paris) 65:349-56. 2007b>Chikungunya virus (CHIKV), a member of the Alphavirus genus, represents a real public health problem in tropical regions of the Southeast Asia and Africa...
- Recently introduced Aedes albopictus in Corsica is competent to Chikungunya virus and in a lesser extent to dengue virusSara Moutailler
Institut Pasteur, Génétique Moléculaire des Bunyavirus, Paris, France
Trop Med Int Health 14:1105-9. 2009..The risk for a local transmission of CHIK is thus likely in Corsica, if other parameters determining the vector capacity of A. albopictus are suitable...
- The 2007 epidemic outbreak of Chikungunya virus infection in the Romagna region of Italy: a new perspective for the possible diffusion of tropical diseases in temperate areas?Vittorio Sambri
New Microbiol 31:303-4. 2008
- Chikungunya fever in the United States: a fifteen year review of casesKatherine B Gibney
Arboviral Diseases Branch, Division of Vector Borne Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Clin Infect Dis 52:e121-6. 2011b>Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) represents a threat to the United States, because humans amplify CHIKV and vectors that transmit CHIKV are present.
- A mouse model of chikungunya virus-induced musculoskeletal inflammatory disease: evidence of arthritis, tenosynovitis, myositis, and persistenceThomas E Morrison
Department of Microbiology, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
Am J Pathol 178:32-40. 2011b>Chikungunya virus (CHIKV), an emerging mosquito-borne Alphavirus, causes debilitating rheumatic disease in humans that can last for weeks to months...
- Entomology. A mosquito goes globalMartin Enserink
Science 320:864-6. 2008
- Chikungunya epidemic outbreak in Emilia-Romagna (Italy) during summer 2007P Angelini
Public Health Service of Emilia Romagna Region, Bologna
Parassitologia 50:97-8. 2008..CHIKV has been isolated and characterized on both blood and mosquito samples...
- Emergence of chikungunya virus in Indian subcontinent after 32 years: A reviewChandrakant Lahariya
Department of Community Medicine, Lady Hardinge Medical College, New Delhi, India
J Vector Borne Dis 43:151-60. 2006An outbreak of chikungunya virus is currently ongoing in many countries in Indian Ocean since January 2005. The current outbreak appears to be the most severe and one of the biggest outbreaks caused by this virus...
- A226V mutation in virus during the 2007 chikungunya outbreak in Kerala, IndiaN Pradeep Kumar
Vector Control Research Centre ICMR, Indira Nagar, Pondicherry, India
J Gen Virol 89:1945-8. 2008Kerala State in India was gripped by a renewed and widespread outbreak of Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) infection during 2007...
- Combined detection and genotyping of Chikungunya virus by a specific reverse transcription-polymerase chain reactionF Hasebe
Department of Virology, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Nagasaki University, Sakamoto, Nagasaki, Japan
J Med Virol 67:370-4. 2002A reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) was developed for the detection of Chikungunya virus infection...
- Failure to control mosquitoes has led to two fever epidemics in IndiaGanapati Mudur
BMJ 333:773. 2006
- Novel chikungunya virus variant in travelers returning from Indian Ocean islandsPhilippe Parola
, Marseilles, France
Emerg Infect Dis 12:1493-9. 2006b>Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) emerged in Indian Ocean islands in 2005 and is causing an ongoing outbreak that involves >260,000 patients, including travelers returning home from these islands...
- Chikungunya infection in travelersPatrick Hochedez
, Paris, France
Emerg Infect Dis 12:1565-7. 2006The largest described outbreak of chikungunya virus has been occurring on the islands of the southwest Indian Ocean since March 2005...
- Chikungunya outbreaks caused by African genotype, IndiaPrasanna N Yergolkar
National Institute of Virology, Pune, India
Emerg Infect Dis 12:1580-3. 2006..Phylogenic analysis based on partial sequences of NS4 and E1 genes showed that all earlier isolates (1963-1973) were Asian genotype, whereas the current and Yawat (2000) isolates were African genotype...
- ChikungunyaSandhya Kamath
Department of Medicine, TN Medical College, BYL Nair Ch Hospital, Mumbai
J Assoc Physicians India 54:725-6. 2006..Chikungunya is a self-limiting illness with no specific treatment. Travellers visiting endemic areas should be careful and take precautions to see that they are not bitten by mosquitoes...
- Mechanisms of sylvatic dengue emergenceScott Weaver; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Mechanisms of sylvatic dengue emergenceScott C Weaver; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Antibody Based Therapeuticcs for Chikungunya VirusMichael S Diamond; Fiscal Year: 2010b>Chikungunya virus (CHIKV) is a mosquito-transmitted, single-stranded RNA alphavirus of the Togaviridae family that causes explosive epidemics of a severe febrile illness characterized by debilitating polyarthalgias in humans...
- Arbovirus Evasion of Type I Interferon InductionMark Heise; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Immune Evasion Mechanisms of Neurovirulent AlphavirusesMark Heise; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Immune Evasion Mechanisms of Neurovirulent AlphavirusesMark T Heise; Fiscal Year: 2011....
- TOGAVIRUS TROPISM FOR BONES, JOINTS, AND CNSMark Heise; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- TOGAVIRUS TROPISM FOR BONES, JOINTS, AND CNSMark T Heise; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- TOGAVIRUS TROPISM FOR BONES, JOINTS, AND CNSMark Heise; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- TOGAVIRUS TROPISM FOR BONES, JOINTS, AND CNSMark Heise; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Immune Evasion Mechanisms of Neurovirulent AlphavirusesMark T Heise; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Improved Vaccines for Rift Valley Fever VirusMark T Heise; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- TRAINING:MOLECULAR & CELLULAR BASES OF INFECTIOUS DISEASDiane Griffin; Fiscal Year: 2007..Participation in seminars, journal clubs, the Departmental retreat, and Research Forum will also be required. ..
- IMMUNE RESPONSE DURING MEASLES VIRUS INFECTIONDiane Griffin; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- EPIDEMIC CHIKUNGUNYA VIRUS: MOSQUITO INFECTION DETERMINANTSStephen Higgs; Fiscal Year: 2007..It builds upon our groups unusual expertise on chikungunya virus (CHIKV), a virus that has recently caused over 255,000 human cases in La Reunion, over 100,000 cases in ..
- Salivary Potentiation of Arboviral InfectionsStephen Higgs; Fiscal Year: 2004..This knowledge may contribute towards the development of a mouse model for human dengue infections. ..
- ACUTE ALPHAVIRAL ENCEPHALITISDiane Griffin; Fiscal Year: 1993..5) To determine the relative contributions of structural and nonstructural protein coding regions of Sindbis and Ross River viruses to the development of encephalitis versus myositis in mice...
- VEE Virus Infection on the Mosquito VectorScott C Weaver; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results will add to our understanding of the mechanisms of epidemic VEEV emergence and provide new viral and host targets for the development of safer vaccines and novel strategies to interrupt transmission. ..
- ECOLOGY AND GENETICS OF VENEZUELAN EQUINE ENCEPHALITISScott Weaver; Fiscal Year: 2005..This information will be invaluable in targeting prevention and control resources, especially for obtaining maximum benefit in developing countries with limited resources. ..
- A Drosophila model of Batten DiseaseRobert Glaser; Fiscal Year: 2004..The specific aims of the proposal are: 1. Determine the phenotypic consequences of removing DmPPT1 function by gene mutation. 2. Determine the phenotypic consequences of disrupting DmPPT1 function by RNA interference. ..
- GENETIC DETERMINANTS OF EPIDEMIC ALPHAVIRUS TRANSMISSIONStephen Higgs; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Biodefense Training ProgramScott Weaver; Fiscal Year: 2007..An external advisory committee composed of outstanding, internationally recognized biodefense scientists and experienced research mentors will periodically review and guide the program through site visits. ..