Genomes and Genes
Summary: A genus of the family RETROVIRIDAE consisting of non-oncogenic retroviruses that produce multi-organ diseases characterized by long incubation periods and persistent infection. Lentiviruses are unique in that they contain open reading frames (ORFs) between the pol and env genes and in the 3' env region. Five serogroups are recognized, reflecting the mammalian hosts with which they are associated. HIV-1 is the type species.
Publications332 found, 100 shown here
- A ubiquitous chromatin opening element (UCOE) confers resistance to DNA methylation-mediated silencing of lentiviral vectorsFang Zhang
Centre for Immunodeficiency, Molecular Immunology Unit, Institute of Child Health, University College London, London, UK
Mol Ther 18:1640-9. 2010..The A2UCOE therefore has considerable utility for gene therapy applications where reliable and sustained gene expression is desirable...
- Germline transmission and tissue-specific expression of transgenes delivered by lentiviral vectorsCarlos Lois
Division of Biology, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA 91125, USA
Science 295:868-72. 2002..We have also generated transgenic rats that express GFP at high levels, suggesting that this technique can be used to produce other transgenic animal species...
- Transgenesis by lentiviral vectors: lack of gene silencing in mammalian embryonic stem cells and preimplantation embryosAlexander Pfeifer
The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:2140-5. 2002..Ability to transfer foreign genes into human ES cells has potential relevance for the development of gene and cell-based therapies...
- Induced pluripotent stem cell generation using a single lentiviral stem cell cassetteCesar A Sommer
Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Stem Cells 27:543-9. 2009..The use of a single lentiviral vector for reprogramming represents a powerful laboratory tool and a significant step toward the application of iPS technology for clinical purposes...
- A third-generation lentivirus vector with a conditional packaging systemT Dull
Cell Genesys, Foster City, California 94404, USA
J Virol 72:8463-71. 1998..However, their biosafety is of major concern. Here we exploit the complexity of the HIV genome to provide lentivirus vectors with novel biosafety features...
- Lentivirus-delivered stable gene silencing by RNAi in primary cellsSheila A Stewart
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02142, USA
RNA 9:493-501. 2003..expressing hairpin RNA targeting green fluorescent protein (GFP) using Moloney leukemia virus-based and lentivirus-based retroviral vectors...
- High-level transduction and gene expression in hematopoietic repopulating cells using a human immunodeficiency [correction of imunodeficiency] virus type 1-based lentiviral vector containing an internal spleen focus forming virus promoterChristophe Demaison
Molecular Immunology Unit, Institute of Child Health, UCL, 30 Guilford Street, London, WC1N 1EH, UK
Hum Gene Ther 13:803-13. 2002....
- Production and purification of lentiviral vectorsGustavo Tiscornia
The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, Laboratory of Genetics, 10010 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Nat Protoc 1:241-5. 2006....
- A lentiviral RNAi library for human and mouse genes applied to an arrayed viral high-content screenJason Moffat
Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Cell 124:1283-98. 2006..This work provides a widely applicable resource for loss-of-function screens, as well as a roadmap for its application to biological discovery...
- Effective gene therapy with nonintegrating lentiviral vectorsRafael J Yáñez-Muñoz
Molecular Immunology Unit, Institute of Child Health, University College London, 30 Guilford Street, London WC1N 1EH, UK
Nat Med 12:348-53. 2006..For therapeutic application to postmitotic tissues, this system substantially reduces the risk of insertional mutagenesis...
- Neurodegeneration prevented by lentiviral vector delivery of GDNF in primate models of Parkinson's diseaseJ H Kordower
Department of Neurological Sciences, Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Science 290:767-73. 2000..These data indicate that GDNF delivery using a lentiviral vector system can prevent nigrostriatal degeneration and induce regeneration in primate models of PD and might be a viable therapeutic strategy for PD patients...
- Isolation of human iPS cells using EOS lentiviral vectors to select for pluripotencyAkitsu Hotta
Developmental and Stem Cell Biology Program, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Nat Methods 6:370-6. 2009..Finally, we used EOS selection to establish Rett syndrome-specific mouse and human iPS cell lines with known mutations in MECP2...
- Prevention strategies against small ruminant lentiviruses: an updateRamses Reina
Institute of Agrobiotechnology CSIC UPNA Government of Navarra, 31192 Mutilva Baja, Spain
Vet J 182:31-7. 2009..This review updates the knowledge on diagnosis, risk of infection, immunisation approaches and criteria for selecting the different strategies to control the spread of SRLVs...
- The cargo-binding domain of transportin 3 is required for lentivirus nuclear importEric C Logue
Department of Microbiology, New York University School of Medicine, 550 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016, USA
J Virol 85:12950-61. 2011..The mutated TNPO3 proteins maintained their ability to localize to the nucleus, suggesting that their inability to restore lentivirus infection resulted from an inability to bind to a host or viral cargo protein.
- Lentivirus-based genetic manipulations of cortical neurons and their optical and electrophysiological monitoring in vivoTanjew Dittgen
Department of Molecular Neurobiology, Max Planck Institute for Medical Research, Jahnstrasse 29, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:18206-11. 2004..This approach is ideally suited for analysis of gene functions in individual neurons in the intact brain...
- Excision of reprogramming transgenes improves the differentiation potential of iPS cells generated with a single excisable vectorCesar A Sommer
Section of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Stem Cells 28:64-74. 2010..In addition, our results underscore the consequences of long-term culture that will need to be taken into account for the clinical application of iPS cells...
- Nonintegrating lentivector vaccines stimulate prolonged T-cell and antibody responses and are effective in tumor therapyKatarzyna Karwacz
Division of Infection and Immunity, University College London, London, United Kingdom
J Virol 83:3094-103. 2009..In this case, both the vector genome and the immune response were maintained for at least 2 months. Together, our data indicate that nonintegrating lentivectors can be employed to generate effective vaccines...
- LEDGF hybrids efficiently retarget lentiviral integration into heterochromatinRik Gijsbers
Division of Molecular Medicine, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Mol Ther 18:552-60. 2010..During normal lentivirus infection, the host cell-encoded transcriptional coactivator lens epithelium-derived growth factor/p75 (LEDGF/..
- Exchange of surface proteins impacts on viral vector cellular specificity and transduction characteristics: the retina as a modelA Auricchio
Institute for Human Gene Therapy, Department of Molecular and Cellular Engineering, The Wistar Institute, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Hum Mol Genet 10:3075-81. 2001Recombinant vectors based on adeno-associated virus (AAV) or human immunodeficiency 1 (lentivirus) are promising tools for long term in vivo gene delivery...
- Hot spots of retroviral integration in human CD34+ hematopoietic cellsClaudia Cattoglio
Italian Institute of Technology, Unit of Molecular Neuroscience, Istituto Scientifico H San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
Blood 110:1770-8. 2007..The lower propensity of LV vectors for integrating in potentially dangerous regions of the human genome may be a factor determining a better safety profile for gene therapy applications...
- Gene editing in human stem cells using zinc finger nucleases and integrase-defective lentiviral vector deliveryAngelo Lombardo
San Raffaele Telethon Institute for Gene Therapy, Via Olgettina, 58, 20132 Milan, Italy
Nat Biotechnol 25:1298-306. 2007....
- Induction of an interferon response by RNAi vectors in mammalian cellsAlan J Bridge
Swiss Institute for Experimental Cancer Research, CH 1066 Epalinges, Switzerland
Nat Genet 34:263-4. 2003..Although siRNAs are thought to be too short to induce interferon expression, we report here that a substantial number of shRNA vectors can trigger an interferon response...
- Distinct subtypes of cholecystokinin (CCK)-containing interneurons of the basolateral amygdala identified using a CCK promoter-specific lentivirusAaron M Jasnow
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Center for Behavioral Neuroscience, Yerkes Research Center, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
J Neurophysiol 101:1494-506. 2009..To address this question, we generated a lentivirus-expressing GFP under the control of the CCK promoter to identify CCK neurons in vivo...
- Vaccines delivered by integration-deficient lentiviral vectors targeting dendritic cells induces strong antigen-specific immunityBiliang Hu
Mork Family Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089, USA
Vaccine 28:6675-83. 2010..Thus, this DC-directed IDLV system represents a promising and efficient vector platform with remarkably improved safety for the future development of DC-based immunotherapy...
- Insertional transformation of hematopoietic cells by self-inactivating lentiviral and gammaretroviral vectorsUte Modlich
Department of Experimental Hematology, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Mol Ther 17:1919-28. 2009..Mechanistic studies support the conclusion that enhancer-mediated gene activation is the major cause for insertional transformation of hematopoietic cells, opening rational strategies for risk prevention...
- Silencing of OB-RGRP in mouse hypothalamic arcuate nucleus increases leptin receptor signaling and prevents diet-induced obesityCyril Couturier
Departments of Cell Biology and Hematology, Institut Cochin, Unité Mixte de Recherche 8104, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Universite Paris Descartes, 75014 Paris, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:19476-81. 2007..This finding could serve as the basis for an approach to identifying potential new therapeutic targets for a variety of diseases, including obesity...
- Preferential labeling of inhibitory and excitatory cortical neurons by endogenous tropism of adeno-associated virus and lentivirus vectorsJ L Nathanson
Systems Neurobiology Laboratories, Salk Institute for Biological Studies, 10010 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Neuroscience 161:441-50. 2009..cortical neuron types by recombinant AAV pseudotyped with serotype 1 capsid (rAAV2/1) and by recombinant lentivirus pseudotyped with the vesicular stomatitis virus (VSV) glycoprotein...
- Highly efficient multicistronic lentiviral vectors with peptide 2A sequencesAbdelilah Ibrahimi
Molecular Medicine, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, B 3000 Leuven, Flanders, Belgium
Hum Gene Ther 20:845-60. 2009..Last, using various peptide 2A sequences, we engineered the triple reporter LV-3R (i.e., eGFP, fLuc, HSV1-sr39tk), enabling efficient multimodality readouts in vivo...
- High-level sustained transgene expression in human embryonic stem cells using lentiviral vectorsYue Ma
National Primate Research Center, School of Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Stem Cells 21:111-7. 2003..These results also have important implications for the possible future use of gene-modified human ES cells in transplantation and tissue regeneration applications...
- Development of optimal bicistronic lentiviral vectors facilitates high-level TCR gene expression and robust tumor cell recognitionS Yang
Surgery Branch, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Gene Ther 15:1411-23. 2008..Such optimal vectors may have immediate applications in cancer gene therapy...
- A lentivirus-based system to functionally silence genes in primary mammalian cells, stem cells and transgenic mice by RNA interferenceDouglas A Rubinson
Department of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Nat Genet 33:401-6. 2003..We show that lentivirus-delivered shRNAs are capable of specific, highly stable and functional silencing of gene expression in a variety ..
- Integration-deficient lentiviral vectors: a slow coming of ageKlaus Wanisch
School of Biological Sciences, Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham, Surrey, UK
Mol Ther 17:1316-32. 2009..IDLVs can be converted into replicating episomes, suggesting that if a clinically applicable system can be developed they would also become highly appropriate for stable transduction of proliferating tissues in therapeutic applications...
- Recent advances in lentiviral vector development and applicationsJanka Matrai
Flanders Institute for Biotechnology, VIB, Vesalius Research Center, University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Mol Ther 18:477-90. 2010..These recent advances underscore the improved safety and efficacy of LVs with important implications for clinical trials...
- Hepatocyte-targeted expression by integrase-defective lentiviral vectors induces antigen-specific tolerance in mice with low genotoxic riskJanka Matrai
Free University of Brussels, Brussels, Belgium
Hepatology 53:1696-707. 2011..Deep sequencing of IDLV-transduced livers showed only rare genomic integrations that had no preference for gene coding regions and occurred mostly by a mechanism inconsistent with residual integrase activity...
- Engineered lentivector targeting of dendritic cells for in vivo immunizationLili Yang
Division of Biology, California Institute of Technology, 1200 E California Blvd, Pasadena, California 91125, USA
Nat Biotechnol 26:326-34. 2008..Thus, lentiviral vectors targeting dendritic cells provide a simple method of producing effective immunity and may provide an alternative route for immunization with protein antigens...
- HIV-1 lentiviral vector immunogenicity is mediated by Toll-like receptor 3 (TLR3) and TLR7Karine Breckpot
Division of Infection and Immunity, University College London, 46 Cleveland Street, London W1T 4JF, United Kingdom
J Virol 84:5627-36. 2010..In conclusion, we demonstrated TLR-dependent DC activation by lentiviral vectors, explaining their immunogenicity. These data allow the rational development of strategies to manipulate the host's immune response to the transgene...
- Systematic determination of the packaging limit of lentiviral vectorsM Kumar
Department of Molecular Virology and Microbiology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Hum Gene Ther 12:1893-905. 2001..These results suggest that HIV-based vectors may have a secondary advantage over oncoretroviral vectors because of their greater packaging limit, although the very low titers of the larger vectors will be of limited utility...
- Lentiviral vectors: regulated gene expressionT Kafri
Laboratory of Genetics, The Salk Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Mol Ther 1:516-21. 2000..These studies show that an inducible lentiviral vector can deliver and regulate transgene expression in vivo. We believe that regulated gene expression is an essential tool for successful gene therapy approaches...
- Dual-promoter lentiviral vectors for constitutive and regulated gene expression in neuronsSergio Gascón
Instituto de Investigaciones Biomedicas Alberto Sols, CSIC UAM, Arturo Duperier, 4, 28029 Madrid, Spain
J Neurosci Methods 168:104-12. 2008..The viral systems we developed here provide neuron-specific and regulated expression mediated by single lentiviral vectors and will prove valuable tools for the study of neuronal function...
- Silencing and variegation of gammaretrovirus and lentivirus vectorsJames Ellis
Developmental Biology Program, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON, Canada M5G 1L7
Hum Gene Ther 16:1241-6. 2005..In contrast, lentivirus vectors based on human immunodeficiency virus type 1 appear to express more efficiently, although other reports ..
- Gene delivery by lentivirus vectorsAdam S Cockrell
Gene Therapy Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Mol Biotechnol 36:184-204. 2007..Concluding remarks address some of the successes in preclinical animals, and the recent transition of lentiviral vectors to human clinical trials as therapy for a variety of infectious and genetic diseases...
- Integrase-defective lentiviral vectors: progress and applicationsM B Banasik
Department of Pediatrics, Program in Gene Therapy, Carver College of Medicine, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, USA
Gene Ther 17:150-7. 2010..Several recent publications outline the development and initial biological characterization of such vectors. Here, we discuss the potential applications and new directions for the development of integration-defective LVs...
- Lentivirus vectors encoding both central polypurine tract and posttranscriptional regulatory element provide enhanced transduction and transgene expressionS C Barry
Department of Pediatrics, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Hum Gene Ther 12:1103-8. 2001Incorporation of a central polypurine tract (cPPT) and a posttranscriptional regulatory element (PRE) into lentivirus vectors provides increased transduction efficiency and transgene expression...
- An improved tet-on system for gene expression in neurons delivered by a single lentiviral vectorXuebi Tian
Department of Anesthesiology, Tongji Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430030, China
Hum Gene Ther 20:113-23. 2009..Transgene expression from the NSE promoter also provided tightly regulated gene expression in neurons in vivo...
- Efficient reprogramming of human cord blood CD34+ cells into induced pluripotent stem cells with OCT4 and SOX2 aloneXianmei Meng
Division of Regenerative Medicine MC1528B, Department of Medicine, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, California 92350, USA
Mol Ther 20:408-16. 2012..This report is the first to describe the generation of transgene-free iPSCs with the use of OCT4 and SOX2 alone. These findings have important implications for the clinical applications of iPSCs...
- Phylogenetic analysis of small ruminant lentiviruses from Southern BrazilA P Ravazzolo
Biotechnology Center and Veterinary Faculty, UFRGS Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Av Bento Goncalves 9500, CEP 91501 970, Porto Alegre, Brazil
Virus Res 79:117-23. 2001The first lentivirus isolated from sheep in Brazil was analysed phylogenetically...
- Decreased striatal RGS2 expression is neuroprotective in Huntington's disease (HD) and exemplifies a compensatory aspect of HD-induced gene regulationTamara Seredenina
Laboratory of Functional Neurogenomics, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
PLoS ONE 6:e22231. 2011..Here we test whether individual changes in striatal gene expression are capable of mitigating HD-related neurotoxicity...
- Genetic analysis of small ruminant lentiviruses following lactogenic transmissionGiuliano Pisoni
Universita degli Studi di Milano, Dipartimento di Patologia Animale, Igiene e Sanita Pubblica Veterinaria, Via Celoria 10, 20133 Milano, Italy
Virology 407:91-9. 2010..that the physiology of the ruminant neonatal intestine, which permits the adsorption of infected maternal cells, shaped the evolution of these particular lentiviruses that represent a valid model of lactogenic lentivirus transmission.
- Viral evolution in deep time: lentiviruses and mammalsRobert J Gifford
Aaron Diamond AIDS Research Center, 455 1st Avenue, New York, NY 10016, USA
Trends Genet 28:89-100. 2012....
- Inhibiting HIV-1 infection in human T cells by lentiviral-mediated delivery of small interfering RNA against CCR5Xiao Feng Qin
Division of Biology, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena 91125, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:183-8. 2003..Here, we describe success in constructing a lentivirus-based vector to introduce siRNAs against the HIV-1 coreceptor, CCR5, into human peripheral blood T lymphocytes...
- Lymphomagenesis in SCID-X1 mice following lentivirus-mediated phenotype correction independent of insertional mutagenesis and gammac overexpressionSamantha L Ginn
Gene Therapy Research Unit of the Children s Medical Research Institute and The Children s Hospital at Westmead, Westmead, New South Wales, Australia
Mol Ther 18:965-76. 2010....
- Lentivirus-mediated overexpression of microRNA-199a inhibits cell proliferation of human hepatocellular carcinomaXiao Qin Jia
Cancer Center and Department of Pathology, Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, China
Cell Biochem Biophys 62:237-44. 2012..Thus, these studies provide an important new insight into the pathogenesis of human HCC and it may open a new perspective for the development of effective gene therapy for human HCC...
- A dual promoter lentiviral vector for the in vivo evaluation of gene therapeutic approaches to axon regeneration after spinal cord injuryK Low
Department of Neurosciences, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA, USA
Gene Ther 17:577-91. 2010..This expression system is therefore an accurate and efficient means of screening candidate genes in vivo for enhancement of axonal growth...
- Lentiviral vectors transduce proliferating dendritic cell precursors leading to persistent antigen presentation and immunizationFrederick Arce
Division of Infection and Immunity, University College London, London, UK
Mol Ther 17:1643-50. 2009..These results show that LVs transduce DC precursors, which maintain transduced DCs in spleen for at least 2 months, leading to prolonged antigen presentation and effective T-cell memory...
- Investigating antibody neutralization of lyssaviruses using lentiviral pseudotypes: a cross-species comparisonEdward Wright
MRC UCL Centre for Medical Molecular Virology, Division of Infection and Immunity, University College London, 46 Cleveland Street, London W1T 4JF, UK
J Gen Virol 89:2204-13. 2008....
- Assaying beta-catenin/TCF transcription with beta-catenin/TCF transcription-based reporter constructsTravis L Biechele
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Pharmacology, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA, USA
Methods Mol Biol 468:99-110. 2008..Its enhanced sensitivity, increased dynamic range, and lentiviral platform provide a reporter system that will keep pace with the needs of scientists in the field...
- Novel integrase-defective lentiviral episomal vectors for gene transferJ Vargas
Division of Infectious Disease, Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Hum Gene Ther 15:361-72. 2004..Lentiviral episomal vectors may serve as specific tools for therapeutic approaches to diseases, particularly those associated with episomal replication of DNA viruses including papillomaviruses, polyomaviruses, and herpesviruses...
- Targeting l1 cell adhesion molecule using lentivirus-mediated short hairpin RNA interference reverses aggressiveness of oral squamous cell carcinomaShiao Chen Hung
Graduate Institute of Cancer Biology and Center for Molecular Medicine, China Medical University and Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan
Mol Pharm 7:2312-23. 2010..Targeting L1CAM gene expression in SCC4 cells overexpressing L1CAM using a lentivirus-mediated small hairpin RNA (shRNA) led to a significant reduction in cell proliferation in vitro via retardation ..
- Production of influenza pseudotyped lentiviral particles and their use in influenza research and diagnosis: an updateJean Michel Garcia
HKU Pasteur Research Centre, Dexter HC Man Building, 8 Sassoon Road, Pokfulam, Hong Kong
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 9:443-55. 2011..The second part focuses on the applications that such a flexible tool can provide in modern influenza research, in particular in the fields of drug discovery, molecular biology and diagnosis...
- Generation of transgenic cattle by lentiviral gene transfer into oocytesAndreas Hofmann
Department of Pharmacy, Institute for Pharmacology, Center for Drug Research, Ludwig Maximilians University, Butenandstrasse 5 C, 81377 Munich, Germany
Biol Reprod 71:405-9. 2004..Taken together, after adjusting lentiviral transgenesis to cattle, unprecedented high transgenesis and expression rates were achieved...
- Characterization of new small ruminant lentivirus subtype B3 suggests animal trade within the Mediterranean BasinL Bertolotti
Dipartimento di Produzioni Animali, Universita degli Studi di Torino, Grugliasco, Italy
J Gen Virol 92:1923-9. 2011....
- Quantitative analysis of lentiviral transgene expression in mice over seven generationsYong Wang
Department of Laboratory Animal Science, College of Basic Medical Sciences, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing, China
Transgenic Res 19:775-84. 2010..Taken together, these data suggested that transgenic lines with long term stable expression and no position effect can be established by lentiviral transgenesis...
- Amelioration of emphysema in mice through lentiviral transduction of long-lived pulmonary alveolar macrophagesAndrew A Wilson
Pulmonary Center and Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, 715 Albany Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
J Clin Invest 120:379-89. 2010..Our results challenge the dogma that AMs are short lived and suggest that these differentiated cells may be a possible target cell population for in vivo gene therapy applications, including the sustained correction of hAAT deficiency...
- Lentivirus-mediated overexpression of angiotensin-(1-7) attenuated ischaemia-induced cardiac pathophysiologyYanfei Qi
Department of Pharmadocynamics, University of Florida, SW 1600 Archer Road, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Exp Physiol 96:863-74. 2011..Angiotensin-(1-7) [Ang-(1-7)] has been shown to provide cardioprotective effects. We hypothesize that lentivirus-mediated overexpression of Ang-(1-7) would protect the myocardium from ischaemic injury. A single bolus of 3...
- Transduction of human islets with pseudotyped lentiviral vectorsGary P Kobinger
Gene Therapy Program, Division of Medical Genetics, Department of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania Health System, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Hum Gene Ther 15:211-9. 2004..Overall, our study describes an improved methodology for achieving safe and efficient gene transfer into cells of human islets...
- Lentiviral vectors: their molecular design, safety, and use in laboratory and preclinical researchBoro Dropulic
Lentigen Corporation, Gaithersburg, MD 20878, USA
Hum Gene Ther 22:649-57. 2011..These include functional genomics, target validation, protein manufacturing, in vivo imaging, transgenic animals, and stem cell research...
- Biodistribution and toxicity studies of VSVG-pseudotyped lentiviral vector after intravenous administration in mice with the observation of in vivo transduction of bone marrowDao Pan
Department of Pediatrics and Institute of Human Genetics, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, USA
Mol Ther 6:19-29. 2002..The observation of bone marrow transduction after intravenous vector administration suggests the possibility of an in vivo approach to stem cell gene therapy...
- Lentiviral gene transfer into the dorsal root ganglion of adult ratsHongwei Yu
Department of Anesthesiology, Medical College of Wisconsin, 8100 Watertown Plank Rd, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226, USA
Mol Pain 7:63. 2011....
- Development of novel efficient SIN vectors with improved safety features for Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome stem cell based gene therapyInés Avedillo Díez
Department of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Mol Pharm 8:1525-37. 2011..Therefore, the described SIN vectors appear to be good candidates for potential use in a safer new gene therapy protocol for WAS, with decreased risk of insertional mutagenesis...
- Lentivirus-mediated gene transfer induces long-term transgene expression of BMP-2 in vitro and new bone formation in vivoOsamu Sugiyama
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Mol Ther 11:390-8. 2005..ELISA results demonstrated that lentivirus-mediated gene transfer into BMSCs induced stable BMP-2 production in vitro for 8 weeks...
- HIV-1-based defective lentiviral vectors efficiently transduce human monocytes-derived macrophages and suppress replication of wild-type HIV-1Lingbing Zeng
Pacific Biosciences Research Center, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
J Gene Med 8:18-28. 2006..In this study we established a lentiviral vector-based technique for improved gene transfer into human MDM cultures in vitro and demonstrated significant protection of transduced MDM from super-infection with wild-type HIV-1...
- Single-vector inducible lentiviral RNAi system for oncology target validationDmitri Wiederschain
Oncology Research, Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Cell Cycle 8:498-504. 2009..The versatile and robust inducible lentiviral RNAi system reported herein can therefore serve as a powerful tool to rapidly reveal tumor cell dependence...
- Neprilysin gene transfer reduces human amyloid pathology in transgenic miceRobert A Marr
Laboratory of Genetics, The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Neurosci 23:1992-6. 2003..These data further support a role for neprilysin in regulating cerebral amyloid deposition and suggest that gene transfer approaches might have potential for the development of alternative therapies for Alzheimer's disease...
- Codon optimization of human factor VIII cDNAs leads to high-level expressionNatalie J Ward
Molecular Immunology Unit, Institute of Child Health, University College London, London, UK
Blood 117:798-807. 2011..These significant findings demonstrate that shorter FVIII constructs that can be more easily accommodated in viral vectors can result in increased therapeutic efficacy and may deliver effective gene therapy for hemophilia A...
- Bone marrow stem cells expressing keratinocyte growth factor via an inducible lentivirus protects against bleomycin-induced pulmonary fibrosisSusana Aguilar
Centre for Respiratory Research, Rayne Institute, University College London, London, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 4:e8013. 2009..Taken together, our data indicates that bone marrow transplantation of lentivirus-transduced HSCs can attenuate lung damage, and shows for the first time the potential of using an inducible Tet-..
- MECP2 isoform-specific vectors with regulated expression for Rett syndrome gene therapyMojgan Rastegar
Developmental and Stem Cell Biology Program, SickKids Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
PLoS ONE 4:e6810. 2009..Our objective is to develop viral vectors for MECP2 gene transfer into Neural Stem Cells (NSC) and neurons suitable for gene therapy of Rett Syndrome...
- Lentiviral vectors containing an enhancer-less ubiquitously acting chromatin opening element (UCOE) provide highly reproducible and stable transgene expression in hematopoietic cellsFang Zhang
Centre for Immunodeficiency, Molecular Immunology Unit, Institute of Child Health, University College London, London, United Kingdom
Blood 110:1448-57. 2007..These properties are achieved in the absence of classic enhancer activity and therefore may confer a high safety profile...
- Lentiviral vector design for optimal T cell receptor gene expression in the transduction of peripheral blood lymphocytes and tumor-infiltrating lymphocytesStephanie Jones
Surgery Branch, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Hum Gene Ther 20:630-40. 2009..This paper emphasizes the need to optimize both promoter function and protein synthesis in constructs that require stoichiometric production of multiple protein subunits...
- A versatile approach to multiple gene RNA interference using microRNA-based short hairpin RNAsXiaocui Zhu
The Alliance for Cellular Signaling, Division of Biology, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA 91125, USA
BMC Mol Biol 8:98. 2007..Effective and stable knockdown of multiple gene targets by RNA interference is often necessary to overcome isoform redundancy, but it remains a technical challenge when working with intractable cell systems...
- Endogenous microRNA regulation suppresses transgene expression in hematopoietic lineages and enables stable gene transferBrian D Brown
San Raffaele Telethon Institute for Gene Therapy HSR TIGET, Via Olgettina 58, 20132 Milano, Italy
Nat Med 12:585-91. 2006..Our results provide novel in situ evidence of miRNA regulation and demonstrate a new paradigm in vector design with applications for genetic engineering and therapeutic gene transfer...
- Mechanism of reduction in titers from lentivirus vectors carrying large inserts in the 3'LTRFabrizia Urbinati
Division of Experimental Hematology and Cancer Biology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229 3039, USA
Mol Ther 17:1527-36. 2009..These studies have important implications in design of integrating vectors...
- Lentiviral vectors with CMV or MHCII promoters administered in vivo: immune reactivity versus persistence of expressionTakahiro Kimura
Department of Medicine, Division of Digestive Diseases, David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, USA
Mol Ther 15:1390-9. 2007..These studies reveal that APC transduction by LVs could lead to immune reactivity (LV-CMV) or persistence of transgene expression (LV-MHCII), providing a relevant paradigm for vaccination and gene replacement approaches...
- A microRNA-regulated lentiviral vector mediates stable correction of hemophilia B miceBrian D Brown
San Raffaele Telethon Institute for Gene Therapy, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan, Italy
Blood 110:4144-52. 2007..This work, which is among the first applications to exploit the microRNA regulatory pathway, provides the basis for a promising new therapy for the treatment of hemophilia B...
- Polycistronic lentiviral vector for "hit and run" reprogramming of adult skin fibroblasts to induced pluripotent stem cellsChia Wei Chang
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA
Stem Cells 27:1042-9. 2009..These results suggest that a single, polycistronic "hit and run" vector can safely and effectively reprogram adult dermal fibroblasts into iPS cells...
- In vitro proliferation of cells derived from adult human beta-cells revealed by cell-lineage tracingHolger A Russ
Department of Human Molecular Genetics and Biochemistry, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv, Tel Aviv, Israel
Diabetes 57:1575-83. 2008..A major obstacle to development of effective expansion protocols is the rapid loss of beta-cell markers in the cultured cells. Here, we report a genetic cell-lineage tracing approach for following the fate of cultured beta-cells...
- Restraining influence of A2 neurons in chronic control of arterial pressure in spontaneously hypertensive ratsHanad Duale
Department of Physiology, Bristol Heart Institute, School of Medical Sciences, University Walk, University of Bristol, Bristol, BS8 1TD, UK
Cardiovasc Res 76:184-93. 2007..We aimed to genetically target A2 neurons and induce expression of a potassium channel to reduce their electrical excitability and study how this impacts on long-term blood pressure control...
- Transfusion independence and HMGA2 activation after gene therapy of human β-thalassaemiaMarina Cavazzana-Calvo
Clinical Investigation Center in Biotherapy, Groupe Hospitalier Universitaire Ouest, Inserm Assistance Publique Hôpitaux de Paris, Paris 75015, France
Nature 467:318-22. 2010..The clonal dominance that accompanies therapeutic efficacy may be coincidental and stochastic or result from a hitherto benign cell expansion caused by dysregulation of the HMGA2 gene in stem/progenitor cells...
- Targeted delivery of proteins across the blood-brain barrierBrian J Spencer
Laboratory of Genetics, The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:7594-9. 2007..Here, we report the use of the lentivirus vector system to deliver the lysosomal enzyme glucocerebrosidase and a secreted form of GFP to the neurons and ..
- Gene transfer into rat mesenchymal stem cells: a comparative study of viral and nonviral vectorsJ M McMahon
Regenerative Medicine Institute, National Centre for Biomedical Engineering Science and Department of Medicine, National University of Ireland, Galway, Republic of Ireland
Stem Cells Dev 15:87-96. 2006..Adenovirus, adeno-associated virus (AAV; serotypes 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6), lentivirus, and nonviral vectors were compared...
- Delivery of the Cre recombinase by a self-deleting lentiviral vector: efficient gene targeting in vivoA Pfeifer
The Salk Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:11450-5. 2001..Such a self-deleting Cre vector is a promising tool for the induction of conditional gene modifications with minimal Cre toxicity in vivo...
- Characterization of a novel simian immunodeficiency virus from guereza colobus monkeys (Colobus guereza) in Cameroon: a new lineage in the nonhuman primate lentivirus familyV Courgnaud
, Montpellier, France
J Virol 75:857-66. 2001..In this study, we describe a novel lentivirus, named SIVcol, prevalent in guereza colobus monkeys...
- Efficient transgenesis in farm animals by lentiviral vectorsAndreas Hofmann
Department of Pharmacy, Institute for Pharmacology, Center for Drug Research, Butenandtstrasse 5 C, Ludwig Maximilians University, 81377 Munich, Germany
EMBO Rep 4:1054-60. 2003..Finally, infection of bovine oocytes after and before in vitro fertilization with LV-PGK resulted in transgene expression in 45% and 92% of the infected embryos, respectively...
- Generation of tissue-specific transgenic birds with lentiviral vectorsBenjamin B Scott
Picower Institute for Learning and Memory, Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:16443-7. 2005..Tissue-specific transgene expression at high levels provides a powerful tool for biological research and opens new avenues for genetic manipulation in birds...
- Lentivirally transduced dendritic cells as a tool for cancer immunotherapyKarine Breckpot
Department of Physiology and Immunology, Medical School of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel VUB, Laarbeeklaan 103 E, 1090 Brussels, Belgium
J Gene Med 5:654-67. 2003..Dendritic cells (DC) are the professional antigen-presenting cells of the immune system, fully equipped to prime naive T cells and thus essential components for cancer immunotherapy...
- Stability of lentiviral vector-mediated transgene expression in the brain in the presence of systemic antivector immune responsesEvelyn Abordo-Adesida
Gene Therapeutics Research Institute, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
Hum Gene Ther 16:741-51. 2005..is responsible for providing antigenic epitopes to the activated immune system, on systemic immunization with lentivirus. Low immunogenicity and prolonged transgene expression in the presence of preexisting lentiviral immunity are ..
- Transgenes delivered by lentiviral vector are suppressed in human embryonic stem cells in a promoter-dependent mannerXiaofeng Xia
WiCell Research Institute, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI 53705, USA
Stem Cells Dev 16:167-76. 2007..Cautions should be taken to choose the optimal promoter when lentiviruses are used for genetic modification of human ES cells...
- Lentiviral vectors in gene therapy: their current status and future potentialDavid Escors
Division of Infection and Immunity, Medical School of the Royal Free and University College London, London W1T 4JF, UK
Arch Immunol Ther Exp (Warsz) 58:107-19. 2010..Amongst these are HIV-1 lentivirus-based vectors (lentivectors), which are being increasingly used in basic and applied research...
- Hematopoietic stem cell gene transfer in a tumor-prone mouse model uncovers low genotoxicity of lentiviral vector integrationEugenio Montini
San Raffaele Telethon Institute for Gene Therapy, Via Olgettina 58, 20132, Milan, Italy
Nat Biotechnol 24:687-96. 2006..Our results validate a much-needed platform to assess vector safety and provide direct evidence that prototypical lentiviral vectors have low oncogenic potential, highlighting a major rationale for application to gene therapy...
- In vivo contribution of murine mesenchymal stem cells into multiple cell-types under minimal damage conditionsFernando Anjos-Afonso
Hematopoietic Stem Cell Laboratory, Cancer Research UK, London
J Cell Sci 117:5655-64. 2004..a method of purifying murine mesenchymal stem cells from bone marrow and efficiently transducing them using a lentivirus vector expressing the eGFP reporter gene...
- Oncogenesis following delivery of a nonprimate lentiviral gene therapy vector to fetal and neonatal miceMike Themis
Gene Therapy Research Group, Section of Cell and Molecular Biology, Imperial College London, UK
Mol Ther 12:763-71. 2005..This system may provide a highly sensitive model to investigate integrating vector safety prior to clinical application...
- A dual task for the Xbp1-responsive OS-9 variants in the mammalian endoplasmic reticulum: inhibiting secretion of misfolded protein conformers and enhancing their disposalRiccardo Bernasconi
Institute for Research in Biomedicine, CH 6500 Bellinzona, Switzerland
J Biol Chem 283:16446-54. 2008..Thus, OS-9.1 and OS-9.2 play a dual role in mammalian ER quality control: first as crucial retention factors for misfolded conformers, and second as promoters of protein disposal from the ER lumen...
- Strategies of lentivirus persistenceSusan Carpenter; Fiscal Year: 2009..The results of this study will identify new vaccine strategies for HIV-1 and persistent viruses that inhibit immune escape and prevent progression to AIDS and cancer. ..
- Evaluation of RNA transport elements in HIV-1 vectorsSRINIVAS KUMAR; Fiscal Year: 2007..The specific aims of this proposal are: Aim 1. Improve performance of CTE-based lentivirus packaging systems...
- Transduction of the Mouse Auditory System with AAVDIANA LURIE; Fiscal Year: 2003..of vectors have been successfully used to mediate intracochlear gene delivery including liposomes, herpes virus, lentivirus, adenovirus, and adeno-associated virus (AAV)...
- Infant immunoprophylaxis against a primate lentivirusRuth Ruprecht; Fiscal Year: 2007..RESEARCH GRANT TABLE OF CONTENTS Page Numbers Face Page .................................................................................................................................................. 1 Description, ..
- IMMUNOLOGIC MANAGEMENT OF LENTIVIRUS INFECTIONSRonald Montelaro; Fiscal Year: 1991..Thus, the EIAV system provides a dynamic model in which to examine the interactions between evolving lentivirus antigens and host immune systems and in which the infected animal is routinely able to bring virus replication ..
- EIAV Envelope Variation and Vaccine EfficacyRonald C Montelaro; Fiscal Year: 2010..previous grant period, we demonstrated for the first time that Env variation is indeed a primary determinant of lentivirus vaccine efficacy that will need to be addressed in the effort to develop broadly protective vaccines...
- A Novel BIV vector pseudotyped with thogoto virus gp75Tianci Luo; Fiscal Year: 2006b>Lentivirus-based gene transfer systems represent a promising gene delivery technology, as they integrate into the genome of the target cell and mediate sustained expression of the transferred gene. Advanced Vision Therapies, Inc...
- CYTOKINE RESPONSE IN FIV AND SIV IMMUNODEFICIENCYGregg Dean; Fiscal Year: 2002..since 1986 and has participated in a number of original and significant studies on the identification of lentivirus target cells, effects of opportunistic infections on immunodeficiency virus pathogenesis, and the role of ..
- Molecular Analysis of FIVJohn Elder; Fiscal Year: 2007..with the purpose of using the feline/FIV model for development of broad-based intervention strategies against lentivirus infections in general...
- C1, Rostroventrolateral Medulla and the Central Integration of Cardiovascular RegJOHN PATRICK CARD; Fiscal Year: 2010..Experiments in three Specific Aims are advanced to test this hypothesis. Aim 1 will use our novel technology (lentivirus mediated anterograde tracing of C1 projections) and electron microscopy to test the hypothesis that recurrent ..
- PERIPHERAL NEUROPATHY IN LENTIVIRUS INFECTIONS: EARLY VIRAL AND HOST DETERMINANTSChristopher Power; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our overall working hypothesis is that the early events resulting in lentivirus-induced distal sensory polyneuropathy represent convergent effects of infection/activation of macrophages and ..
- Neonatal Chemoselection Following Ex Vivo Gene Transfer For Hereditary DisordersKARIN L GAENSLER; Fiscal Year: 2010..Fetal liver and bone marrow-derived HSC will be transduced ex vivo by lentivirus-mediated gene transfer of P140K-methylguanine methytransferase (MGMT)...
- GENE EXPRESSION DURING LENTIVIRUS INFECTIONS--EIAVRonald Montelaro; Fiscal Year: 1991..To address the many unique aspects of lentivirus replication and to make correlations with viral pathogenesis, it is essential that animal systems be developed ..
- Characterization of cougar lentivirusesMary Poss; Fiscal Year: 2003In the last 2 decades, both humans and domestic cats have become new hosts for lentivirus. Infection results in progressive immunodeficiency and death in both hosts...
- Development of Novel AIDS Gene Therapy Strategies in the Macaque SHIV ModelHans Peter Kiem; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will study these cassettes in lentivirus and foamy virus vectors to determine the safety of these vectors systems first in NOD/SCID mice and then in the ..
- Development of Novel AIDS Gene Therapy Strategies in the Macaque SHIV ModelHans Peter Kiem; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will study these cassettes in lentivirus and foamy virus vectors to determine the safety of these vectors systems first in NOD/SCID mice and then in the ..