Genomes and Genes
Summary: A species of the genus FLAVIVIRUS which causes an acute febrile and sometimes hemorrhagic disease in man. Dengue is mosquito-borne and four serotypes are known.
Publications274 found, 100 shown here
- DengueScott B Halstead
Supportive Research and Development, Pediatric Dengue Vaccine Initiative, Internal Vaccine Institute, Seoul, South Korea
Lancet 370:1644-52. 2007..Here, I review and discuss data on clinical diagnosis and pathophysiology of vascular permeability and coagulopathy, parenteral treatment of DHF/DSS, and new laboratory tests...
- Cross-reacting antibodies enhance dengue virus infection in humansWanwisa Dejnirattisai
Department of Medicine, Imperial College London, London W12 0NN, UK
Science 328:745-8. 2010b>Dengue virus co-circulates as four serotypes, and sequential infections with more than one serotype are common...
- Global spread and persistence of dengueJennifer L Kyle
Division of Infectious Diseases, School of Public Health, and Graduate Group in Microbiology, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720 7354, USA
Annu Rev Microbiol 62:71-92. 2008..urbanization in tropical and subtropical countries, breeding sites for the mosquitoes that transmit dengue virus have proliferated, and successful vector control has proven problematic...
- RNA interference screen for human genes associated with West Nile virus infectionManoj N Krishnan
Section of Infectious Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticutt 06520 8031, USA
Nature 455:242-5. 2008..By extending this study to dengue virus, we show that flaviviruses have both overlapping and unique interaction strategies with host cells...
- The IFITM proteins mediate cellular resistance to influenza A H1N1 virus, West Nile virus, and dengue virusAbraham L Brass
Ragon Institute of Massachusetts General Hospital, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Cell 139:1243-54. 2009..characterization revealed that the IFITM proteins inhibit the early replication of flaviviruses, including dengue virus and West Nile virus...
- The Aedes aegypti toll pathway controls dengue virus infectionZhiyong Xi
W Harry Feinstone Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS Pathog 4:e1000098. 2008..gene expression and RNA interference (RNAi)-based reverse genetic analyses, to characterize its response to dengue virus infection in different body compartments...
- Prospects for a dengue virus vaccineStephen S Whitehead
Laboratory of Infectious Diseases, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Nat Rev Microbiol 5:518-28. 2007..A tetravalent vaccine is urgently needed and must be effective against all four dengue virus serotypes, be cost-effective and provide long-term protection...
- Discovery of insect and human dengue virus host factorsOctober M Sessions
Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Nature 458:1047-50. 2009..This screen identified 116 candidate dengue virus host factors (DVHFs)...
- The endosymbiotic bacterium Wolbachia induces resistance to dengue virus in Aedes aegyptiGuowu Bian
Department of Entomology and Genetics Program, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan, United States of America
PLoS Pathog 6:e1000833. 2010..Given the large overlap in tissue distribution and intracellular localization between Wolbachia and dengue virus in mosquitoes, we conducted experiments to characterize their interactions...
- Composition and three-dimensional architecture of the dengue virus replication and assembly sitesSonja Welsch
Department of Molecular Virology, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 345, Heidelberg D 69120, Germany
Cell Host Microbe 5:365-75. 2009..Using electron microscopy, we find Dengue virus (DENV)-induced vesicles, convoluted membranes, and virus particles to be endoplasmic reticulum (ER)-derived, ..
- Autophagic machinery activated by dengue virus enhances virus replicationYing Ray Lee
Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan
Virology 374:240-8. 2008..We unravel that Dengue virus-2 (DV2) can trigger autophagic process in various infected cell lines demonstrated by GFP-LC3 dot formation and ..
- An evolutionary conserved function of the JAK-STAT pathway in anti-dengue defenseJayme A Souza-Neto
W Harry Feinstone Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, Bloomberg School of Public Health, The Johns Hopkins University, 615 North Wolfe Street E4209, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:17841-6. 2009Here, we show that the major mosquito vector for dengue virus uses the JAK-STAT pathway to control virus infection. Dengue virus infection in Aedes aegypti mosquitoes activates the JAK-STAT immune signaling pathway...
- Progress towards a dengue vaccineDaniel P Webster
Department of Infectious Diseases and Microbiology, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, UK
Lancet Infect Dis 9:678-87. 2009The spread of dengue virus throughout the tropics represents a major, rapidly growing public health problem with an estimated 2.5 billion people at risk of dengue fever and the life-threatening disease, severe dengue...
- The development of therapeutic antibodies that neutralize homologous and heterologous genotypes of dengue virus type 1Bimmi Shrestha
Department of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, United States of America
PLoS Pathog 6:e1000823. 2010..Overall, our experiments define a complex structural epitope on DIII of DENV-1 that can be recognized by protective antibodies with therapeutic potential...
- Clinical and virological features of Dengue in Vietnamese infantsTran Nguyen Bich Chau
Oxford University Clinical Research Unit, Hospital for Tropical Diseases, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 4:e657. 2010..The clinical and laboratory features in infants with dengue have not been extensively characterised...
- Development of a recombinant tetravalent dengue virus vaccine: immunogenicity and efficacy studies in mice and monkeysDavid E Clements
Hawaii Biotech, Inc, 99 193 Aiea Heights Drive, Aiea, HI 96701, United States
Vaccine 28:2705-15. 2010Truncated recombinant dengue virus envelope protein subunits (80E) are efficiently expressed using the Drosophila Schneider-2 (S2) cell expression system...
- Dengue virus type 2: replication and tropisms in orally infected Aedes aegypti mosquitoesMa Isabel Salazar
Arthropod Borne and Infectious Diseases Laboratory, Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Pathology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523 1692, USA
BMC Microbiol 7:9. 2007To be transmitted by its mosquito vector, dengue virus (DENV) must infect midgut epithelial cells, replicate and disseminate into the hemocoel, and finally infect the salivary glands, which is essential for transmission...
- Enhanced infection of liver sinusoidal endothelial cells in a mouse model of antibody-induced severe dengue diseaseRaphaël M Zellweger
La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology, CA 92037, USA
Cell Host Microbe 7:128-39. 2010b>Dengue virus (DENV) causes disease ranging from dengue fever (DF), a self-limited febrile illness, to the potentially lethal dengue hemorrhagic fever and dengue shock syndrome (DHF/DSS)...
- Dengue viremia titer, antibody response pattern, and virus serotype correlate with disease severityD W Vaughn
Department of Virus Diseases, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Silver Spring, MD 20910, USA
J Infect Dis 181:2-9. 2000Viremia titers in serial plasma samples from 168 children with acute dengue virus infection who were enrolled in a prospective study at 2 hospitals in Thailand were examined to determine the role of virus load in the pathogenesis of ..
- Inhibition of interferon signaling by dengue virusJorge L Munoz-Jordan
Department of Microbiology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, One Gustave Levy Place, New York, NY 10029
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:14333-8. 2003b>Dengue virus is a worldwide-distributed mosquito-borne flavivirus with a positive strand RNA genome. Its transcribed polyprotein is cleaved by host- and virus-encoded peptidases into 10 proteins, some of which are of unknown function...
- Dengue: a continuing global threatMaria G Guzman
Instituto de Medicina Tropical, Pedro Kouri, PO Box 601, Marianao 13, Ciucad de la Habana, Cuba
Nat Rev Microbiol 8:S7-16. 2010..Illness is produced by any of the four dengue virus serotypes...
- Structure of dengue virus: implications for flavivirus organization, maturation, and fusionRichard J Kuhn
Department of Biological Sciences, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
Cell 108:717-25. 2002..The structure suggests that flaviviruses, and by analogy also alphaviruses, employ a fusion mechanism in which the distal beta barrels of domain II of the glycoprotein E are inserted into the cellular membrane...
- Clinical, epidemiologic, and virologic features of dengue in the 1998 epidemic in NicaraguaE Harris
Division of Infectious Diseases, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley 94720 7360, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 63:5-11. 2000..As evidenced by the analysis of this epidemic, the epidemiology of dengue can differ according to geographic region and viral serotype...
- Structure and function analysis of therapeutic monoclonal antibodies against dengue virus type 2Soila Sukupolvi-Petty
Department of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, 660 South Euclid Ave, Box 8051, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Virol 84:9227-39. 2010b>Dengue virus (DENV) is the most prevalent insect-transmitted viral disease in humans globally, and currently no specific therapy or vaccine is available...
- The human immune response to Dengue virus is dominated by highly cross-reactive antibodies endowed with neutralizing and enhancing activityMartina Beltramello
Institute for Research in Biomedicine, Bellinzona 6500, Switzerland
Cell Host Microbe 8:271-83. 2010Antibodies protect against homologous Dengue virus (DENV) infection but can precipitate severe dengue by promoting heterotypic virus entry via Fcγ receptors (FcγR)...
- Consequences of the expanding global distribution of Aedes albopictus for dengue virus transmissionLouis Lambrechts
Department of Virology, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 4:e646. 2010..of numerous arthropod-borne viruses (arboviruses), including the most prevalent arboviral pathogen of humans, dengue virus (DENV). Ae...
- Serotype-specific differences in clinical manifestations of dengueAngel Balmaseda
, , Ministerio de Salud, Managua, Nicaragua
Am J Trop Med Hyg 74:449-56. 2006Dengue, the most prevalent arthropod-borne viral disease of humans, is caused by four serotypes of dengue virus (DENV 1-4)...
- Emergence of the Asian 1 genotype of dengue virus serotype 2 in viet nam: in vivo fitness advantage and lineage replacement in South-East AsiaThi Ty Hang Vu
Oxford University Clinical Research Unit, Hospital for Tropical Diseases, Ho Chi Minh City, Viet Nam
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 4:e757. 2010A better description of the extent and structure of genetic diversity in dengue virus (DENV) in endemic settings is central to its eventual control...
- Emerging flaviviruses: the spread and resurgence of Japanese encephalitis, West Nile and dengue virusesJohn S Mackenzie
Australian Biosecurity Cooperative Research Centre, Curtin University of Technology, Perth, Western Australia
Nat Med 10:S98-109. 2004....
- The mannose receptor mediates dengue virus infection of macrophagesJoanna L Miller
Sir William Dunn School of Pathology, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
PLoS Pathog 4:e17. 2008Macrophages (MØ) and mononuclear phagocytes are major targets of infection by dengue virus (DV), a mosquito-borne flavivirus that can cause haemorrhagic fever in humans...
- Spatial and temporal clustering of dengue virus transmission in Thai villagesMammen P Mammen
Department of Virology, Armed Forces Research Institute of Medical Sciences AFRIMS, Bangkok, Thailand
PLoS Med 5:e205. 2008..To test the hypothesis that DENV transmission is spatially and temporally focal, we compared geographic and temporal characteristics within Thai villages where DENV are and are not being actively transmitted...
- Heat shock protein 90 and heat shock protein 70 are components of dengue virus receptor complex in human cellsJorge Reyes-Del Valle
Departamento de Patologia Experimental, Centro de Investigacion y de Estudios Avanzados del IPN, Av I P N 2508, Col San Pedro Zacatenco, Mexico City D F, C P 07360, Mexico
J Virol 79:4557-67. 2005b>Dengue virus requires the presence of an unidentified cellular receptor on the surface of the host cell...
- Flavivirus activates phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase signaling to block caspase-dependent apoptotic cell death at the early stage of virus infectionChyan Jang Lee
Graduate Institute of Life Sciences, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Virol 79:8388-99. 2005Flaviviruses such as dengue virus (DEN) and Japanese encephalitis virus (JEV) are medically important in humans...
- Identification of five interferon-induced cellular proteins that inhibit west nile virus and dengue virus infectionsDong Jiang
Drexel Institute for Biotechnology and Virology Research, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Drexel University College of Medicine, Doylestown, Pennsylvania 18902, USA
J Virol 84:8332-41. 2010..that instigate an antiviral state against two medically important flaviviruses, West Nile virus (WNV) and dengue virus (DENV), we tested 36 ISGs that are commonly induced by IFN-alpha for antiviral activity against the two viruses...
- Serotype-specific dengue virus circulation and dengue disease in Bangkok, Thailand from 1973 to 1999Ananda Nisalak
Department of Virology, Armed Forces Research Institute of Medical Sciences, Bangkok, Thailand
Am J Trop Med Hyg 68:191-202. 2003b>Dengue virus circulation and association with epidemics and severe dengue disease were studied in hospitalized children with suspected dengue at the Queen Sirikit National Institute of Child Health in Bangkok, Thailand, from 1973 to 1999...
- Comparison of dengue virus type 2-specific small RNAs from RNA interference-competent and -incompetent mosquito cellsJaclyn C Scott
Arthropod Borne and Infectious Diseases Laboratory, Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Pathology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 4:e848. 2010..Using deep sequencing technology, we characterized dengue virus type 2 (DENV2)-specific small RNAs produced during infection of Aedes aegypti mosquitoes and A...
- Dengue and dengue hemorrhagic feverD J Gubler
Division of Vector Borne Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Fort Collins, Colorado 80522, USA
Clin Microbiol Rev 11:480-96. 1998..A major challenge for public health officials in all tropical areas of the world is to develop and implement sustainable prevention and control programs that will reverse the trend of emergent dengue hemorrhagic fever...
- Seroprevalence and risk factors for dengue infection in socio-economically distinct areas of Recife, BrazilCynthia Braga
Centro de Pesquisas Aggeu Magalhaes, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Av Professor Moraes Rego, S N, Cidade Universitaria, CEP 50670 420, Recife, PE, Brazil
Acta Trop 113:234-40. 2010..In the deprived area, 59% of children had already been exposed to dengue virus by the age of 5 years and the estimated force of infection was three times higher than that in the privileged ..
- Serotype-specific differences in the risk of dengue hemorrhagic fever: an analysis of data collected in Bangkok, Thailand from 1994 to 2006Jessica R Fried
Mahidol Oxford Tropical Medicine Research Unit MORU, Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 4:e617. 2010..It is unclear whether dengue serotypes differ in their propensity to cause severe disease. We analyzed differences in serotype-specific disease severity in children presenting for medical attention in Bangkok, Thailand...
- Dengue virus capsid protein usurps lipid droplets for viral particle formationMarcelo M Samsa
Fundación Instituto Leloir CONICET, Buenos Aires, Argentina
PLoS Pathog 5:e1000632. 2009b>Dengue virus is responsible for the highest rates of disease and mortality among the members of the Flavivirus genus. Dengue epidemics are still occurring around the world, indicating an urgent need of prophylactic vaccines and antivirals...
- A protective role for dengue virus-specific CD8+ T cellsLauren E Yauch
Division of Vaccine Discovery, La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
J Immunol 182:4865-73. 2009Infection with one of the four serotypes of dengue virus (DENV1-4) can result in a range of clinical manifestations in humans, from dengue fever to the more serious dengue hemorrhagic fever/dengue shock syndrome...
- Identification of a recombinant dengue virus type 1 with 3 recombination regions in natural populations in Guangdong province, ChinaS P Chen
State Key Laboratory of Pathogen and Biosecurity, Beijing Institute of Microbiology and Epidemiology, No 20 Dongdajie Street, Fengtai District, Beijing 100071, China
Arch Virol 153:1175-9. 2008Using recombination analysis, we identified a recombinant dengue virus type 1 strain, namely, GD23/95, with three recombination regions, located within the sequences of the prM/E junction, NS1, and NS3, respectively...
- Dengue virus infectivity depends on envelope protein binding to target cell heparan sulfateY Chen
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109, USA
Nat Med 3:866-71. 1997b>Dengue virus is a human pathogen that has reemerged as an increasingly important public health threat...
- NS5 of dengue virus mediates STAT2 binding and degradationJoseph Ashour
Department of Microbiology, Emerging Pathogens Institute, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
J Virol 83:5408-18. 2009..b>Dengue virus (DENV) encodes several proteins (NS2a, NS4a, and NS4b) that have been shown individually to inhibit the IFN ..
- A mouse-passaged dengue virus strain with reduced affinity for heparan sulfate causes severe disease in mice by establishing increased systemic viral loadsTyler R Prestwood
Division of Vaccine Discovery, La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology, 9420 Athena Circle, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Virol 82:8411-21. 2008The four serotypes of dengue virus (DENV1 to DENV4) cause extensive morbidity and mortality. A major obstacle to studying disease pathogenesis and developing therapies has been the lack of a small-animal model...
- Structural and functional studies of the promoter element for dengue virus RNA replicationMaria F Lodeiro
Fundacion Instituto Leloir, Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Virol 83:993-1008. 2009The 5' untranslated region (5'UTR) of the dengue virus (DENV) genome contains two defined elements essential for viral replication. At the 5' end, a large stem-loop (SLA) structure functions as the promoter for viral polymerase activity...
- Flavivirus induces interferon-beta gene expression through a pathway involving RIG-I-dependent IRF-3 and PI3K-dependent NF-kappaB activationTsung Hsien Chang
Graduate Institute of Life Sciences, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Microbes Infect 8:157-71. 2006In this study, we found that infection with flaviviruses, such as Japanese encephalitis virus (JEV) and dengue virus serotype 2 (DEN-2), leads to interferon-beta (IFN-beta) gene expression in a virus-replication- and de novo protein-..
- An antigen capture enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay reveals high levels of the dengue virus protein NS1 in the sera of infected patientsP R Young
Sir Albert Sakzewski Virus Research Centre, The Royal Children s Hospital, Herston, Brisbane 4029, Australia
J Clin Microbiol 38:1053-7. 2000We describe the development of a capture enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for the detection of the dengue virus nonstructural protein NS1...
- Identification of GRP 78 (BiP) as a liver cell expressed receptor element for dengue virus serotype 2S Jindadamrongwech
Molecular Pathology Laboratory, Institute of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Mahidol University, Nakorn Pathom, Thailand
Arch Virol 149:915-27. 2004This study sought to identify receptor elements for dengue virus serotype 2 on human liver cells (HepG2) using the viral overlay protein binding assay (VOPBA) technique and Mass Spectrometry fingerprinting...
- Recent advances in deciphering viral and host determinants of dengue virus replication and pathogenesisKaren Clyde
Division of Infectious Diseases, School of Public Health, 140 Warren Hall, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720-7360, USA
J Virol 80:11418-31. 2006
- Stable introduction of a life-shortening Wolbachia infection into the mosquito Aedes aegyptiConor J McMeniman
School of Integrative Biology, University of Queensland, Brisbane 4072, Australia
Science 323:141-4. 2009..Our data suggest that targeting mosquito age with inherited Wolbachia infections may be a viable strategy to reduce the transmission of pathogens such as dengue viruses...
- Dendritic cell-specific intercellular adhesion molecule 3-grabbing non-integrin (DC-SIGN)-mediated enhancement of dengue virus infection is independent of DC-SIGN internalization signalsPierre Yves Lozach
Unite d Immunologie Virale, Institut Pasteur Paris, 25 28, rue du Dr Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
J Biol Chem 280:23698-708. 2005b>Dengue virus (DV) is a mosquito-borne flavivirus that causes hemorrhagic fever in humans...
- Serotype-specific detection of dengue viruses in a fourplex real-time reverse transcriptase PCR assayBarbara W Johnson
Diagnostic and Reference Laboratory, Arbovirus Diseases Branch, Division of Vector Borne Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 3150 Rampart Rd, Fort, Collins, CO 80521
J Clin Microbiol 43:4977-83. 2005....
- Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay specific to Dengue virus type 1 nonstructural protein NS1 reveals circulation of the antigen in the blood during the acute phase of disease in patients experiencing primary or secondary infectionsSophie Alcon
Unité des Arbovirus et Virus des Fièvres Hémorragiques, Institut Pasteur, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
J Clin Microbiol 40:376-81. 2002..vivo, we developed a sensitive enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) to detect the protein in the sera of dengue virus-infected patients...
- Pathogenesis of flavivirus infections: using and abusing the host cellMaria Dolores Fernandez-Garcia
Unité Pathogénie Virale, INSERM U819, Institut Pasteur, Departement de Virologie, Paris, France
Cell Host Microbe 5:318-28. 2009Flaviviruses, such as the dengue virus and the West Nile virus, are emerging arthropod-borne viruses that represent an immense global health problem...
- Translation elongation factor-1alpha, La, and PTB interact with the 3' untranslated region of dengue 4 virus RNAMonica De Nova-Ocampo
Departamento de Biomedicina Molecular, Centro de Investigacion y de Estudios Avanzados del IPN, Mexico City 07360, Mexico
Virology 295:337-47. 2002..The latter are duplicated (CS2A and CS2B) in DEN4. Dengue virus replication, like that of other RNA viruses, might involve the cis-elements located within the 3'UTR and the ..
- Evaluation of two new commercial tests for the diagnosis of acute dengue virus infection using NS1 antigen detection in human serumPhilippe Dussart
Centre National de Référence des Arbovirus et Virus Influenza, Région Antilles Guyane, Institut Pasteur de la Guyane, Cayenne, French Guiana
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 2:e280. 2008..performance of two new commercial tests for the detection of dengue NS1 protein during the clinical phase of dengue virus (DENV) infection-an immunochromatographic test allowing rapid detection of the NS1 antigen, Dengue NS1 Ag STRIP ..
- Cytokine cascade in dengue hemorrhagic fever: implications for pathogenesisU C Chaturvedi
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, Safat, Kuwait
FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 28:183-8. 2000b>Dengue virus produces a mild acute febrile illness, dengue fever (DF) and a severe illness, dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF)...
- Dengue-virus-infected dendritic cells trigger vascular leakage through metalloproteinase overproductionNatthanej Luplertlop
, IRD, , UR178 IFR122, 34094 Montpellier, France
EMBO Rep 7:1176-81. 2006b>Dengue virus (DV) is an important re-emerging arthropod-borne virus of global significance...
- Humanized mice show clinical signs of dengue fever according to infecting virus genotypeJavier Mota
Department of Virology and Immunology, Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research, San Antonio, TX 78227, USA
J Virol 83:8638-45. 2009..of humanized NOD-scid IL2r gamma(null) mice with different strains (representing the four genotypes) of dengue virus serotype 2 (DEN-2) can induce the development of human-like disease, including fever, viremia, erythema, and ..
- Human TLR3 recognizes dengue virus and modulates viral replication in vitroYi Ting Tsai
Department of Clinical Laboratory Sciences and Medical Biotechnology, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
Cell Microbiol 11:604-15. 2009..This study aims at the interaction between dengue virus (DENV) and human TLRs at the incipient stage of infection in vitro...
- Molecular evolution of dengue viruses: contributions of phylogenetics to understanding the history and epidemiology of the preeminent arboviral diseaseScott C Weaver
Department of Pathology, Center for Tropical Diseases, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555 0609, USA
Infect Genet Evol 9:523-40. 2009....
- Inferring the rate and time-scale of dengue virus evolutionS Susanna Twiddy
Department of Zoology, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
Mol Biol Evol 20:122-9. 2003..To understand the rate at which genetic diversification occurs in dengue virus and to infer the time-scale of its evolution, we employed a maximum likelihood method that uses information ..
- Lineage extinction and replacement in dengue type 1 virus populations are due to stochastic events rather than to natural selectionHlaing Myat Thu
School of Life Sciences, Queensland University of Technology, 2, George Street, Brisbane 4001, Australia
Virology 336:163-72. 2005Between 1996 and 1998, two clades (B and C; genotype I) of dengue virus type 1 (DENV-1) appeared in Myanmar (Burma) that were new to that location...
- Small RNA profiling of Dengue virus-mosquito interactions implicates the PIWI RNA pathway in anti-viral defenseAnn M Hess
Department of Statistics, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523, USA
BMC Microbiol 11:45. 2011..aegypti, we deep-sequenced small non-coding RNAs. Triplicate biological replicates were used so that rigorous statistical metrics could be applied...
- Aedes aegypti vectorial capacity is determined by the infecting genotype of dengue virusJustin R Anderson
Department of Virology and Immunology, Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research, San Antonio, Texas 78245-0549, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 75:886-92. 2006..This much earlier appearance of dengue virus in salivary glands resulted in an estimated 2- to 65-fold increase in the vectorial capacity of these ..
- Antibody neutralization and viral virulence in recurring dengue virus type 2 outbreaksSook San Wong
Macfarlane Burnet Institute for Medical Research and Public Health Limited, Melbourne, Australia
Viral Immunol 20:359-68. 2007..Two cycles of outbreaks involving dengue virus type 2 (DENV-2) of the same genotype occurred in the 1990s in the Klang Valley, Malaysia...
- First case of Dengue virus infection in NepalBasu Dev Pandey
Sukra Raj Tropical and Infectious Diseases Hospital, Teku, Kathmandu, Nepal
Nepal Med Coll J 6:157-9. 2004b>Dengue virus transmitted by Aedes mosquito is one of the important cause health problems in world...
- Antibody responses are generated to immunodominant ELK/KLE-type motifs on the nonstructural-1 glycoprotein during live dengue virus infections in mice and humans: implications for diagnosis, pathogenesis, and vaccine designAndrew K I Falconar
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK
Clin Vaccine Immunol 14:493-504. 2007..The core LX1 epitope (113YSWKTWG119), identified by the dengue virus complex-specific monoclonal antibody (MAb) 3D1...
- Concurrent infection with dengue virus type-2 and DENV-3 in a patient from Ceará, BrazilFernanda Montenegro de Carvalho Araújo
Laboratório Central de Saude Pública do Ceará, Fortaleza, CE, Brasil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 101:925-8. 2006Dengue outbreaks have occurred in several regions in Brazil and cocirculating dengue virus type 1 (DENV-1), DENV-2, and DENV-3 have been frequently observed...
- Dengue virus infects macrophages and dendritic cells in a mouse model of infectionJennifer L Kyle
Division of Infectious Diseases, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720 7360, USA
J Infect Dis 195:1808-17. 2007..We find that the initial cellular tropism of DENV in mice is similar to that reported in humans, thereby paving the way for investigation of cellular tropism and pathogenesis of DENV in primary and secondary infections...
- Characterization of humoral and cellular immune responses in cynomolgus macaques upon primary and subsequent heterologous infections with dengue virusesPenelopie Koraka
Department of Virology, Erasmus MC, Dr Molewaterplein 50, 3015 GE Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Microbes Infect 9:940-6. 2007Since studying the pathogenesis of dengue virus associated disease in humans has several limitations, an appropriate animal model is needed...
- Evidence of vertical transmission of dengue virus in two endemic localities in the state of Oaxaca, MexicoJeannette Günther
Programa Institucional de Biomedicina Molecular, Escuela Nacional de Medicina y Homeopatía, Instituto Politecnico Nacional, Mexico City, Mexico
Intervirology 50:347-52. 2007b>Dengue virus is spread in tropical areas of the world and is the causative agent of dengue fever and dengue hemorrhagic fever...
- Dengue in travelersAnnelies Wilder-Smith
Travellers' Health and Vaccination Centre, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Singapore
N Engl J Med 353:924-32. 2005
- [Diagnostic tests: Dengue virus]Mikako Ito
Department of Virology 1, National Institute of Infectious Disease
Nippon Rinsho 63:313-7. 2005
- Dengue virus infection and immune response in humanized RAG2(-/-)gamma(c)(-/-) (RAG-hu) miceJes G Kuruvilla
Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Pathology, 1619 Campus Delivery, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523 1619, USA
Virology 369:143-52. 2007..Sera from some of the infected mice were also found to be capable of dengue virus neutralization...
- Antigenic cell associated dengue 2 virus proteins detected in vitro using dengue fever patients seraSazaly AbuBakar
Department of Medical Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Malays J Pathol 24:29-36. 2002..b>Dengue virus envelope (E), premembrane (PrM) and non-structural protein 1 (NS 1) dimer were detected beginning on day 3 ..
- Primary and secondary infections of Macaca fascicularis monkeys with Asian and American genotypes of dengue virus 2Lidice Bernardo
Department of Virology, PAHO WHO Collaborating Center for the Study of Dengue and its Vector, Pedro Kouri Tropical Medicine Institute, Autopista Novia del Mediodia, km 6 1 2, P O Box 601, Marianao 13, Havana, Cuba
Clin Vaccine Immunol 15:439-46. 2008The goal of this study was to compare the immune response and the protection capacity induced by the dengue virus 2 (DENV-2) American and Asian genotypes in Macaca fascicularis monkeys...
- Dengue and dengue hemorrhagic fever among adults: clinical outcomes related to viremia, serotypes, and antibody responseAdriana O Guilarde
Instituto de Patologia Tropical e Saude Publica, Universidade Federal de Goias, Brazil
J Infect Dis 197:817-24. 2008..In Brazil, the disease burden predominantly affects adults, with an increasing trend toward progression to dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF) noted...
- [Molecular evolution of dengue virus: a necessary field of research]Germán Añez
Invest Clin 48:273-6. 2007..Genomics seems to be an important tool to achieve this objective and to help to develop required therapeutics and prophylactic strategies in a short time...
- Serological and entomological investigations of an outbreak of dengue fever in certain rural areas of Kanyakumari district, Tamil NaduR Paramasivan
Centre for Research in Medical Entomology ICMR, Madurai, India
Indian J Med Res 123:697-701. 2006..Since the fever outbreak occurred for the first time in these villages, serological, virological and entomological investigations were carried out to confirm the aetiology of outbreak...
- Autoimmune pathogenesis in dengue virus infectionChiou Feng Lin
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, National Cheng Kung University Medical College, Tainan, Taiwan
Viral Immunol 19:127-32. 2006The pathogenic mechanisms of dengue hemorrhagic fever and dengue shock syndrome (DHF/DSS) caused by dengue virus (DV) infection remain unresolved...
- DNA vaccines against dengue virus based on the ns1 gene: the influence of different signal sequences on the protein expression and its correlation to the immune response elicited in miceS M Costa
Laboratory of Immunopathology, Department of Bichemistry and Molecular Biology, Oswaldo Cruz Institute, Oswaldo Cruz Foundation, Av Brasil 4365, Pav Leonidas Deane, s 204, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, CEP 21040 900, Brazil
Virology 358:413-23. 2007..Protection against DENV-2 was verified in pcTPANS1- and pcENS1-immunized mice, although the plasmid pcTPANS1 induced slight higher protective immunity. These plasmids seem to activate distinct patterns of the immune system...
- Vaccine candidates for dengue virus type 1 (DEN1) generated by replacement of the structural genes of rDEN4 and rDEN4Delta30 with those of DEN1Joseph E Blaney
Laboratory of Infectious Diseases, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Virol J 4:23. 2007Antigenic chimeric viruses have previously been generated in which the structural genes of recombinant dengue virus type 4 (rDEN4) have been replaced with those derived from DEN2 or DEN3...
- [Dengue and dengue hemorrhagic fever: research priorities]Maria G Guzman
Instituto de Medicina Tropical Pedro Kouri, Ciudad de La Habana, Cuba
Rev Panam Salud Publica 19:204-15. 2006....
- [Dengue, a growing problem of health in the Americas]Gustavo Kouri
Rev Panam Salud Publica 19:143-5. 2006
- Vascular leakage in severe dengue virus infections: a potential role for the nonstructural viral protein NS1 and complementPanisadee Avirutnan
Medical Molecular Biology Unit, Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
J Infect Dis 193:1078-88. 2006..Thirty years ago, complement activation was proposed to be a key underlying event, but the cause of complement activation has remained unknown...
- Laboratory-based dengue fever surveillance in Tamil Nadu, IndiaT John Victor
Institute of Vector Control and Zoonoses, Hosur, India
Indian J Med Res 126:112-5. 2007..Although the existence of all the four serotypes of dengue virus was proved as early as in 1960s, it was only after 1990, several outbreaks of DF/DHF were reported in Tamil ..
- Four dengue virus serotypes found circulating during an outbreak of dengue fever and dengue haemorrhagic fever in Jakarta, Indonesia, during 2004Agus Suwandono
National Institute of Health Research and Development, Ministry of Health, Jakarta, Indonesia
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 100:855-62. 2006..Clinical and laboratory findings were determined from a cohort of 272 hospitalised patients. Exposure to dengue virus was determined in 180 (66.2%) patients. When clinically assessed, 100 (55...
- Induction of neutralizing antibodies specific to dengue virus serotypes 2 and 4 by a bivalent antigen composed of linked envelope domains III of these two serotypesSaima Khanam
International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, New Delhi, India
Am J Trop Med Hyg 74:266-77. 2006..In this study, which has been prompted by the emergence of dengue virus envelope domain III as a promising sub-unit vaccine candidate, we have examined the possibility of developing a ..
- Use of capillary blood samples as a new approach for diagnosis of Dengue virus infectionSeverine Matheus
Centre National de Référence des Arbovirus, Institut Pasteur de la Guyane, 23 avenue Pasteur, BP 6010, 97306 Cayenne Cedex, French Guiana
J Clin Microbiol 45:887-90. 2007We evaluated the use of capillary blood samples stored on filter papers for diagnosis of dengue virus infection. Venous and capillary blood samples were collected from 130 patients suspected of having dengue fever...
- Identification of all dengue serotypes in NepalSarala Malla
Emerg Infect Dis 14:1669-70. 2008
- DNA priming E and NS1 constructs--homologous proteins boosting immunization strategy to improve immune response against dengue in miceGabriela Mellado-Sanchez
Departamento de Biomedicina Molecular Centro de Investigación y Estudios Avanzadas del IPN, Mexico, DF Mexico
Viral Immunol 18:709-21. 2005..In this work, two recombinant plasmids were used, one encoding for the dengue virus E protein, which is know to induce neutralizing antibodies (pcDNA 3...
- Immunopathological mechanisms in dengue and dengue hemorrhagic feverSharone Green
University of Massachusetts Medical School, Center for Infectious Disease and Vaccine Research, Worcester, Massachusetts 01655, USA
Curr Opin Infect Dis 19:429-36. 2006PURPOSE OF REVIEW: The continued emergence of dengue virus infection and its severe disease manifestation, dengue hemorrhagic fever, is a growing public health problem...
- Study of sequence variation of dengue type 3 virus in naturally infected mosquitoes and human hosts: implications for transmission and evolutionSu-Ru Lin
Institute of Microbiology, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, No. 1 Sec. 1 Jen-Ai Rd, Taipei, Taiwan
J Virol 78:12717-21. 2004b>Dengue virus is an arbovirus that replicates alternately in the mosquito vector and human host...
- Dengue viral infectionsG N Malavige
Department of Clinical Immunology, A Floor, West Block, Queens Medical Centre, University Hospital, Nottingham NG7 2UH, UK
Postgrad Med J 80:588-601. 2004..This review outlines aspects of the epidemiology of dengue infections, the dengue virus and its mosquito vector, clinical features and pathogenesis of dengue infections, and the management and ..
- A live attenuated recombinant dengue-4 virus vaccine candidate with restricted capacity for dissemination in mosquitoes and lack of transmission from vaccinees to mosquitoesJ M Troyer
Department of Entomology, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Silver Spring, Maryland 20910, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 65:414-9. 2001..Most significantly, 2Adelta30 was not transmitted to 352 Ae. albopictus mosquitoes fed on 10 vaccinees, all of whom were infected with the vaccine candidate...
- Vaccine candidates derived from a novel infectious cDNA clone of an American genotype dengue virus type 2Joseph E Blaney
Laboratory of Infectious Diseases, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 USA
BMC Infect Dis 4:39. 2004A dengue virus type 2 (DEN-2 Tonga/74) isolated from a 1974 epidemic was characterized by mild illness and belongs to the American genotype of DEN-2 viruses...
- A single amino acid substitution in the envelope protein of chimeric yellow fever-dengue 1 vaccine virus reduces neurovirulence for suckling mice and viremia/viscerotropism for monkeysF Guirakhoo
Acambis, Inc, 38 Sidney St, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
J Virol 78:9998-10008. 2004..These changes may be responsible for virus attenuation through a change in the pH threshold for virus envelope fusion with the host cell membrane...
- Control of aedes vectors of dengue in three provinces of Vietnam by use of Mesocyclops (Copepoda) and community-based methods validated by entomologic, clinical, and serological surveillanceBrian H Kay
Queensland Institute of Medical Research and University of Queensland Tropical Health Program, Brisbane, Australia
Am J Trop Med Hyg 66:40-8. 2002..Variable dengue attack rates made the clinical and serological comparison of control and untreated communes problematic, but these data indicate that clinical surveillance by itself is inadequate to monitor dengue transmission...
- Efficiency of dengue serotype 2 virus strains to infect and disseminate in Aedes aegyptiPhilip M Armstrong
Department of Virology and Immunology, Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research, San Antonio, Texas 78245 0549, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 68:539-44. 2003..Together, these findings suggest that Ae. aegypti tends to be more susceptible to infection by DEN-2 viruses of the SE Asian genotype than to those of the American genotype, and this may have epidemiologic implications...
- Dengue Epitope Vaccine,Tetravalent & MHCII-TargetedJ Thomas August; Fiscal Year: 2007..The vaccine constructs will be validated for human dengue virus specific T- and B-cell responses by the human ex vivo assay system (Project 2), and by mouse immunization for ..
- Host factors involved in viral RNA recombinationPeter Nagy; Fiscal Year: 2006..has been demonstrated to occur for a large number of human, animal and plant viruses, including poliovirus, dengue virus, infectious bronchitis virus, influenza A virus, hantavirus, hepatitis D virus, Human Respiratory Syncytial ..
- Inhibition of the Membrane Fusion Proteins of Flaviviruses and AlphavirusesMargaret Kielian; Fiscal Year: 2007..b>Dengue virus (DV) is currently of particular concern as it has dramatically reemerged to become endemic in more than 100 ..
- A HTS Assay for Identifying Anti-Viral Drugs Against Arbovirus InfectionsQianjun Li; Fiscal Year: 2007..Several recent human and/or animal epidemics are caused by arboviruses, including Dengue virus (DNV) in Asia, West Nile virus (WNV) in North America and Bluetongue virus (BTV) in Europe...
- Yellow Fever/Dengue Virus Competence in Aedes aegypt aegypti/formosus in SenegalWilliam Black; Fiscal Year: 2009..l.) is the primary vector to humans of yellow fever virus (YFV) and the four serotypes of dengue virus (DENV1-4)...
- Yellow Fever/Dengue Virus Competence in Aedes aegypt aegypti/formosus in SenegalWilliam C Black; Fiscal Year: 2010..l.) is the primary vector to humans of yellow fever virus (YFV) and the four serotypes of dengue virus (DENV1-4)...
- Antiviral potential of helicase inhibitorsDavid N Frick; Fiscal Year: 2010..RNA viruses, focusing on pathogens with abnormally high global burdens of disease: hepatitis C virus (HCV), Dengue virus (DENV), West Nile virus (WNV), Japanese encephalitis virus (JEV), yellow fever virus (YFV), and human ..
- Role of an essential RNA chaperone in virus replicationPeter Nagy; Fiscal Year: 2006..numerous other important human and animal viruses (hepatitis C virus, flavivirus, including West Nile virus and dengue virus, pestiviruses) and plant viruses (luteo- and carmoviruses), understanding the mechanism of RNA replication in ..
- MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF POLIOVIRUS RNA REPLICATIONJAMES FLANEGAN; Fiscal Year: 2007..RNA viruses that form a large group of important human pathogens include hepatitis C virus, West Nile virus, dengue virus and the SARS-associated coronavirus...
- MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF POLIOVIRUS RNA REPLICATIONJames Bert Flanegan; Fiscal Year: 2010..RNA viruses that form a large group of important human pathogens include hepatitis C virus, West Nile virus, dengue virus and the SARS-associated coronavirus...
- MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF POLIOVIRUS RNA REPLICATIONJAMES FLANEGAN; Fiscal Year: 2009..RNA viruses that form a large group of important human pathogens include hepatitis C virus, West Nile virus, dengue virus and the SARS-associated coronavirus...
- FUNCTIONAL ANALYSIS OF DENGUE VIRUS ANTIGENS NS3 AND NS5Radhakrishnan Padmanabhan; Fiscal Year: 1993..Dengue is a human disease caused by the mosquito-borne dengue virus.Apart from dengue fever, a more severe and fatal form of the disease occurs in children called dengue ..
- MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF POLIOVIRUS RNA REPLICATIONJAMES FLANEGAN; Fiscal Year: 2006
- Determinants of RNA virus evolutionISABEL NOVELLA; Fiscal Year: 2009..and C viruses, HIV, influenza virus, most of the cold viruses, rabies virus, Ebola virus, West Nile virus, and dengue virus. We face major difficulties in controlling these viral diseases because of the viruses' escape from immune ..
- Determinants of RNA virus evolutionISABEL NOVELLA; Fiscal Year: 2007..and C viruses, HIV, influenza virus, most of the cold viruses, rabies virus, Ebola virus, West Nile virus, and dengue virus. We face major difficulties in controlling these viral diseases because of the viruses' escape from immune ..
- Recombinant antigen assays for Lassa and other arenaviruRobert Garry; Fiscal Year: 2005..a deliberate release, and allow the virus used to be distinguished from other hemorrhagic fever viruses such as dengue virus or Ebola virus that may have similar case presentations...
- INTERFERENCE TO DENGUE VIRUS REPLICATION IN MOSQUITOESCarol Blair; Fiscal Year: 2001..In toto, this work should give us significant understanding of which anti-DEN virus strategies are important for ultimately generating transgenic mosquitoes that are resistant to DEN virus infections. ..
- Arbovirus quasispecies-impact of arthropod transmissionGREGORY EBEL; Fiscal Year: 2004..RNA viruses, such as West Nile virus, Dengue virus, Rift Valley fever virus and Venezuelan Equine Encephalitis virus, exist within each host as a genetically ..
- MOLECULAR ANALYSIS OF ALPHAVIRUS MEMBRANE FUSION PROTEINMargaret Kielian; Fiscal Year: 2010..such as the encephalitic alphaviruses and the flaviviruses West Nile, yellow fever, Japanese encephalitis and dengue virus (DV)...
- MOLECULAR ANALYSIS OF ALPHAVIRUS MEMBRANE FUSION PROTEINMargaret Kielian; Fiscal Year: 2009..such as the encephalitic alphaviruses and the flaviviruses West Nile, yellow fever, Japanese encephalitis and dengue virus (DV)...
- A VEE Replicon-Based Vaccine for Dengue VirusLaura White; Fiscal Year: 2006b>Dengue virus (DEN), a priority "A" pathogen on the NIH/CDC list of bioterrorism related and emerging pathogens, infects humans causing a spectrum of clinical manifestations including dengue fever, dengue hemorrhagic fever and dengue shock ..
- Yeast-Based High-throughput Assays for Proteases of Category A, B, & C VirusesHong Fang; Fiscal Year: 2007..In the proposed studies, we will develop yeast assays for proteases produced by seven RNA viruses: Dengue Virus, West Nile Virus, Japanese Encephalitis Virus, Yellow Fever Virus, Hepatitis A Virus, SARS coronavirus, and ..
- Yeast-Based High-throughput Assays for Proteases of Category A, B, & C VirusesHong Fang; Fiscal Year: 2009..In the proposed studies, we will develop yeast assays for proteases produced by seven RNA viruses: Dengue Virus, West Nile Virus, Japanese Encephalitis Virus, Yellow Fever Virus, Hepatitis A Virus, SARS coronavirus, and ..
- Broad-Spectrum Therapeutic Human Antibodies for Dengue Virus InfectionsYorgo Modis; Fiscal Year: 2006..epitopes can prevent and treat infection by several different flaviviruses, including all 4 serotypes of dengue virus and West Nile virus (WNV). Passive immunization is an accepted medical practice to protect against infection...
- FUNCTIONAL ANALYSIS OF DENGUE VIRUS ANTIGENS NS3 AND NS5Radhakrishnan Padmanabhan; Fiscal Year: 2003..To study the mechanism of replication in the absence of virion assembly, a subgenomic dengue virus replicon expressing a readily quantifiable reporter gene product will be constructed. 3...
- Lethal Mutagenesis as an Antiviral StrategyCraig Cameron; Fiscal Year: 2007..Establish dengue virus type 2 as a model system for evaluation of lethal mutagenesis by characterizing the mechanism of action of ..
- Structure and Function of FlavivirusesMichael G Rossmann; Fiscal Year: 2010..This structure has made it possible to build pseudo-atomic models of immature dengue virus and of a low pH intermediate prior to the release of the pr polypeptide and maturation into infectious ..
- Apoptosis as an anti-viral response in mosquito midgutROLLIE CLEM; Fiscal Year: 2007..are important vectors for a number of infectious diseases caused by arboviruses including West Nile virus, dengue virus, yellow fever virus, LaCrosse virus, and Venezuelan, eastern and western equine encephalitis viruses...