Summary: A plant genus of the family CUPRESSACEAE. The species are slow growing coniferous evergreen trees or shrubs.
Publications180 found, 100 shown here
- Anti-obesity effects of Juniperus chinensis extract are associated with increased AMP-activated protein kinase expression and phosphorylation in the visceral adipose tissue of ratsSeung Jin Kim
Department of Food and Nutrition, Brain Korea 21 Project, Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea
Biol Pharm Bull 31:1415-21. 2008This study evaluates the protective effect of Juniperus chinensis hot water extract (JCE) against high-fat-diet (HFD)-induced obesity and its molecular mechanisms in the visceral adipose tissue of rats...
- Antifungal and insecticidal activity of two Juniperus essential oilsDavid E Wedge
USDA ARS NPURU, The University of Mississippi, University, MS 38677, USA
Nat Prod Commun 4:123-7. 2009Essential oils of two Tibetan Junipers Juniperus saltuaria and J. squamata var. fargesii (Cupressaceae) were obtained by distilling dried leaves and branches using a Clevenger apparatus. Sixty-seven compounds from J...
- Assessment of the allelopathic potential of Juniperus ashei on germination and growth of Bouteloua curtipendulaG P Young
The University of Texas at San Antonio, 78249, USA
J Chem Ecol 35:74-80. 2009Potential allelopathic compounds of Juniperus ashei Buchh. (Ashe juniper) and their effect on a native grass were determined in laboratory and field studies...
- Enhanced growth of Juniperus thurifera under a warmer climate is explained by a positive carbon gain under cold and droughtTeresa E Gimeno
Laboratorio Internacional de Cambio Global LINC Global, Museo Nacional de Ciencias Naturales, MNCN CSIC, Serrano 115dpo, 28006 Madrid, Spain
Tree Physiol 32:326-36. 2012b>Juniperus thurifera L. is an endemic conifer of the western Mediterranean Basin where it is subjected to a severe climatic stress characterized by low winter temperatures and summer drought...
- Essential oils of Cupressus funebris, Juniperus communis, and J. chinensis (Cupressaceae) as repellents against ticks (Acari: Ixodidae) and mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae) and as toxicants against mosquitoesJohn F Carroll
USDA, ARS, Invasive Insect Biocontrol and Behavior Laboratory, Beltsville Agricultural Research Center, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
J Vector Ecol 36:258-68. 2011b>Juniperus communis leaf oil, J. chinensis wood oil, and Cupressus funebris wood oil (Cupressaceae) from China were analyzed by gas chromatography and gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. We identified 104 compounds, representing 66.8-95...
- Insecticidal activity of deoxypodophyllotoxin, isolated from Juniperus sabina L, and related lignans against larvae of Pieris rapae LRong Gao
Department of Neurotoxicology, Applied Institute of Toxicology, Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing 210029, China
Pest Manag Sci 60:1131-6. 2004..naturally occurring insecticides from plants from the northwestern part of China, a petroleum ether extract of Juniperus sabina L was found to show insecticidal activity against fifth-instar larvae of Pieris rapae L...
- Seasonal changes in depth of water uptake for encroaching trees Juniperus virginiana and Pinus ponderosa and two dominant C4 grasses in a semiarid grasslandKathleen D Eggemeyer
School of Natural Resources, University of Nebraska Lincoln, 406 Hardin Hall, Lincoln, NE 68583 0974, USA
Tree Physiol 29:157-69. 2009..amp; C. Lawson, Juniperus virginiana L.), and two C(4) grasses (Schizachyrium scoparium (Michx.) Nash, Panicum virgatum L...
- Site properties for Crimean juniper (Juniperus excelsa) in semi-natural forests of south western Anatolia, TurkeyKursad Ozkan
Department of Soil and Ecology, Faculty of Forestry, Suleyman Demirel University, 32260 Isparta, Turkey
J Environ Biol 31:97-100. 2010..Anatolia along a gradient between Mediterranean and continental climates to determine the site requirements of Juniperus excelsa in Turkey...
- A monoterpene glucoside and three megastigmane glycosides from Juniperus communis var. depressaTsutomu Nakanishi
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Setsunan University, Hirakata, Osaka, Japan
Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 53:783-7. 2005..glycosides (2-4) were isolated along with a known megastigmane glucoside (5) from twigs with leaves of Juniperus communis var. depressa (Cupressaceae) collected in Oregon, U.S.A...
- Pollination drop in Juniperus communis: response to deposited materialSerena Mugnaini
Department of Environmental Sciences G Sarfatti, University of Siena, Via P A Mattioli 4, 53100 Siena, Italy
Ann Bot 100:1475-81. 2007..The objective of this work was to study the formation of the pollination drop in Juniperus communis, its carbohydrate composition and the response to deposition of conspecific pollen, foreign pollen and ..
- Anti-inflammatory phenolics isolated from Juniperus rigida leaves and twigs in lipopolysaccharide-stimulated RAW264.7 macrophage cellsEun Ju Jeong
College of Pharmacy and Research Institute of Pharmaceutical Science, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
J Enzyme Inhib Med Chem 27:875-9. 2012..effort searching for anti-inflammatory compounds from medicinal plants deduced that the methanolic extract of Juniperus rigida S. et L...
- Evaluation of fruit extracts of six Turkish Juniperus species for their antioxidant, anticholinesterase and antimicrobial activitiesMehmet Ozturk
Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Mugla University, 48121 Muğla, Turkey
J Sci Food Agric 91:867-76. 2011b>Juniperus L. (Cupressaceae) species are mostly spread out in the Northern Hemisphere of the world, and some of them are used as folkloric medicines. The fruits of some species are eaten...
- Phylogeography of the Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau endemic Juniperus przewalskii (Cupressaceae) inferred from chloroplast DNA sequence variationQ Zhang
Key Laboratory of Arid and Grassland Ecology, Lanzhou University, Lanzhou, 730000, China
Mol Ecol 14:3513-24. 2005..species of the forests in this region, we examined chloroplast trnT-trnF and trnS-trnG sequence variation within Juniperus przewalskii, a key endemic tree species...
- Genetic variation in five Mediterranean populations of Juniperus phoenicea as revealed by inter-simple sequence repeat (ISSR) markersMarilena Meloni
Dipartimento di Biotecnologie e Scienze Molecolari, Universita degli Studi dell Insubria, via J H Dunant 3, 21100 Varese, Italy
Ann Bot 97:299-304. 2006..In this work, the genetic variability in five natural populations of Juniperus phoenicea, three from Sardinia, one from Cyprus and the last one in the Maritime Alps was analysed by means of ..
- Chemical composition of volatile extract and biological activities of volatile and less-volatile extracts of juniper berry (Juniperus drupacea L.) fruitAhmed El-Ghorab
Flavor and Aroma Department, National Research Center, Dokki, Cairo, Egypt
J Agric Food Chem 56:5021-5. 2008Volatile chemicals in a dichloromethane extract from a steam distillate of juniper berry fruit (Juniperus drupacea L...
- Aspergillus fumigatus Fresenius, an endophytic fungus from Juniperus communis L. Horstmann as a novel source of the anticancer pro-drug deoxypodophyllotoxinS Kusari
Institut für Umweltforschung INFU, Technische Universitat Dortmund, Dortmund, Germany
J Appl Microbiol 107:1019-30. 2009Isolation, identification and characterization of an endophytic fungus from Juniperus communis L. Horstmann, as a novel producer of deoxypodophyllotoxin and its in vitro antimicrobial assay.
- A comparative study on the antinociceptive and anti-inflammatory activities of five Juniperus taxaEsra Küpeli Akkol
Department of Pharmacognosy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Gazi University, Etiler 06330, Ankara, Turkey
J Ethnopharmacol 125:330-6. 2009b>Juniperus L. (Cupressaceae) species have been used to various inflammatory and infectious diseases such as bronchitis, colds, cough, fungal infections, hemorrhoids, gynecological diseases, and wounds in Turkish folk medicine.
- Antimycobacterial terpenoids from Juniperus communis L. (Cuppressaceae)Andréa Y Gordien
Natural Products Research Laboratories, Strathclyde Institute of Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow G4 0NR, UK
J Ethnopharmacol 126:500-5. 2009b>Juniperus communis is a plant which has been reported as a traditional cure for tuberculosis (TB) and other respiratory diseases.
- Antimycobacterial constituents from Juniperus procera, Ferula communis and Plumbago zeylanica and their in vitro synergistic activity with isonicotinic acid hydrazideJaber S Mossa
Department of Pharmacognosy, College of Pharmacy, King Saud University, P O Box 2457, Riyadh 11451, Saudi Arabia
Phytother Res 18:934-7. 2004..When tested against the resistant strain of M. tuberculosis H37Rv, plumbagin and 7beta-hydroxyabieta-8,13-dien-11,12-dione exhibited inhibitory activity at <12.5 microg/mL, while others were inactive at this concentration...
- Range-wide phylogeography of Juniperus thurifera L., a presumptive keystone species of western Mediterranean vegetation during cold stages of the PleistoceneAnass Terrab
Department of Systematic and Evolutionary Botany, Faculty Centre Botany, University of Vienna, Rennweg 14, A 1030 Vienna, Austria
Mol Phylogenet Evol 48:94-102. 2008We investigate the range-wide population structure and phylogeography of thuriferous juniper (Juniperus thurifera L.), a species with a highly disjunct distribution in the western Mediterranean...
- Juniperus communis: victim of the combined action of climate warming and nitrogen deposition?K Verheyen
Laboratory of Forestry, Ghent University, Melle Gontrode, Belgium
Plant Biol (Stuttg) 11:49-59. 2009..and indirect effects of the above-mentioned global change drivers on seed viability in the coniferous shrub Juniperus communis L...
- Sex-specific, age-dependent sensitivity of tree-ring growth to climate in the dioecious tree Juniperus thuriferaVicente Rozas
Departamento de Ecologia, CINAM de Lourizán, Xunta de Galicia, Apdo 127, 36080 Pontevedra, Spain
New Phytol 182:687-97. 2009..Ring widths were measured from 50 female and 50 male Juniperus thurifera trees, 50-350 yr old, growing under a Mediterranean continental climate...
- Chemical studies of essential oils of Juniperus oxycedrus ssp. badiaSofia Salido
Departamento de Quimica Inorganica y Organica, Facultad de Ciencias Experimentales, Universidad de Jaen, 23071 Jaen, Spain
J Ethnopharmacol 81:129-34. 2002Leaf and (unripe and ripe) berry essential oils of Juniperus oxycedrus ssp. badia (H. Gay) Debeaux grown wild in Spain have been analysed by capillary GC and GC-MS in combination with retention indices...
- Crystal structure of Jun a 1, the major cedar pollen allergen from Juniperus ashei, reveals a parallel beta-helical coreEdmund W Czerwinski
Sealy Center for Structural Biology, Department of Human Biological Chemistry and Genetics, University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, Galveston, Texas 77555 0647, USA
J Biol Chem 280:3740-6. 2005..We report the first crystal structure of a cedar allergen, Jun a 1, from the pollen of the mountain cedar Juniperus ashei (Cupressaceae)...
- An assessment of predictive forecasting of Juniperus ashei pollen movement in the Southern Great Plains, USAPeter K Van de Water
Faculty of Biological Science, University of Tulsa, Tulsa, OK 74104, USA
Int J Biometeorol 48:74-82. 2003b>Juniperus ashei pollen, a significant aeroallergen, has been recorded during December and January in Tulsa, Oklahoma, over the past 20 years...
- When, how and how much: Gender-specific resource-use strategies in the dioecious tree Juniperus thuriferaD Montesinos
Centro de Investigaciones sobre Desertificación CIDE CSIC UV GV, Camí de la Marjal S N, 46470, Albal, Valencia, Spain
Ann Bot 98:885-9. 2006..This allows the study of gender-specific vegetative allocation strategies in dioecious tree species thoughout their life stages...
- Phylogenetic analysis of nuclear small subunit rDNA sequences suggests that the endangered African Pencil Cedar, Juniperus procera, is associated with distinct members of GlomeraceaeTesfaye Wubet
Universitat Tubingen, Spezielle Botanik und Mykologie, Auf der Morgenstelle 1, D 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Mycol Res 110:1059-69. 2006The endangered indigenous tree species Juniperus procera, commonly known as African Pencil Cedar, is an important component of the dry Afromontane vegetation of Ethiopia and was shown to be AM in earlier studies...
- Antimicrobial activity of aqueous and methanol extracts of Juniperus oxycedrus LI Karaman
Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, Gebze Institute of Technology, Kocaeli, 41400, Turkey
J Ethnopharmacol 85:231-5. 2003Aqueous and methanol extracts of the leaves of Juniperus oxycedrus were investigated for their in vitro antimicrobial properties. The plant was collected from Pelitli Village of Gebze, Kocaeli, in the Marmara region of Turkey...
- Diversification and biogeography of Juniperus (Cupressaceae): variable diversification rates and multiple intercontinental dispersalsKangshan Mao
Division of Molecular Ecology, Key Laboratory of Arid and Grassland Ecology, School of Life Sciences, Lanzhou University, Lanzhou, Gansu, 730000, China
New Phytol 188:254-72. 2010..Here we examine the biogeography and diversification history of Juniperus, which occurs in semi-arid habitats through much of the Northern Hemisphere...
- Macrophage immunomodulatory activity of polysaccharides isolated from Juniperus scopolorumIgor A Schepetkin
Department of Veterinary Molecular Biology, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT 59717, USA
Int Immunopharmacol 5:1783-99. 2005Extracts of cones and leaves of different species of the genus Juniperus have been used for centuries to treat a variety of medical problems; however, little is known about the active components conferring therapeutic properties to these ..
- The antioxidant activity of the essential oils of Artemisia afra, Artemisia abyssinica and Juniperus proceraM Burits
Institute of Pharmacognosy, Karl-Franzens-University of Graz, , A-8010 Graz, Austria
Phytother Res 15:103-8. 2001The essential oils of Artemisia afra Jacq., Artemisia abyssinica Schultz-Bip. and Juniperus procera Hoechst ex Endl. were examined for their potential radical scavenging activities...
- Aromatic plants, spirituality, and sacred traditionsStephanie Maxine Ross
College of Nursing and Health Professions, Drexel University, 1505 Race Street, Philadelphia, PA 19102, USA
Holist Nurs Pract 21:331-2. 2007
- Effect of age on the distribution of oil in Eastern redcedar tree segmentsN T Dunford
Food and Agricultural Products Research and Technology Center, Oklahoma State University, 148 FAPC, Stillwater, OK 74078 6055, USA
Bioresour Technol 98:2636-40. 2007..Trunks of eastern redcedar (Juniperus virginiana L...
- Winter photoinhibition in the field involves different processes in four co-occurring Mediterranean tree speciesE Martínez-Ferri
Dept Biología Vegetal I, Facultad de Biologia, Universidad Complutense, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Tree Physiol 24:981-90. 2004..In response to low temperatures and saturating light, Juniperus phoenicea L., Pinus halepensis Mill., Quercus coccifera L. and Q. ilex ssp. ballota (Desf.) Samp...
- Modulation of cellular response to cisplatin by a novel inhibitor of DNA polymerase betaF Boudsocq
Equipe Instabilité Génétique et Cancer, Institut de Pharmacologie et de Biologie Structurale, Unité Mixte Recherche Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique 5089, Toulouse, France
Mol Pharmacol 67:1485-92. 2005..25 human tumor cells. Our data suggest that molecules such as masticadienonic acid could be suitable in conjunction with cisplatin to enhance anticancer treatments...
- Evidence for mutualist limitation: the impacts of conspecific density on the mycorrhizal inoculum potential of woodland soilsKristin E Haskins
Department of Biological Sciences and the Merriam Powell Center for Environmental Research, Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, AZ 86011 5640, USA
Oecologia 145:123-31. 2005..Lack of EM inoculum in these stands could reduce the ability of pinyon seedlings to re-colonize sites of high pinyon mortality, leading to long-term vegetation shifts...
- Screening of Korean medicinal plants for lipase inhibitory activityHye Young Kim
Food Function Research Division, Korea Food Research Institute, Kyonggi do 463 746, Republic of Korea
Phytother Res 19:359-61. 2005..Of the extracts tested, those of Juniperus communis (bark) and Illicium religiosum (wood) exhibited the strongest activity with an IC50 value of 20...
- Seasonal variations in moisture use in a piñon-juniper woodlandA G West
Department of Biology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Oecologia 153:787-98. 2007..Colorado piñon) and Juniperus osteosperma (Torr) Little (Utah juniper). The current distributions of P. edulis and J...
- Arsenic in tree rings at a highly contaminated siteZhongqi Cheng
Lamont Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University, 206 New Core Lab, 61 Route 9W, Palisades, NY 10964, USA
Sci Total Environ 376:324-34. 2007..Due to the possibility of lateral translocation between growth rings, further studies are necessary to understand within-tree As transport and storage before dendrochemistry can be confidently accepted for such applications...
- Inhibitory activity of Juniperus communis on 12(S)-HETE production in human plateletsIsabella Schneider
Institute of Pharmacognosy, Karl Franzens University, Graz, Austria
Planta Med 70:471-4. 2004Extracts of Juniperus communis L. (Cupressaceae) have been evaluated for their inhibitory activity on human platelet-type 12(S)-lipoxygenase [12(S)-LOX]...
- Pressurized fluids for extraction of cedarwood oil from Juniperus virginiannaFred J Eller
New Crops and Processing Technology Research, National Center for Agricultural Utilization Research, Agricultural Research Service, United States Department of Agriculture, 1815 North University Street, Peoria, Illinois 61604, USA
J Agric Food Chem 52:2335-8. 2004..It appears that the high temperatures and acidic conditions cause a dehydration of the tertiary alcohol, cedrol, to its hydrocarbon analogue, cedrene, during CO(2) or pressurized water extractions of cedarwood...
- Antimicrobial activity of juniper berry essential oil (Juniperus communis L., Cupressaceae)Stjepan Pepeljnjak
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Pharmacy and Biochemistry, University of Zagreb, Zagreb, Croatia
Acta Pharm 55:417-22. 2005..The strongest fungicidal activity was recorded against Candida spp. (MIC from 0.78 to 2%, V/V) and dermatophytes (from 0.39 to 2%, V/V)...
- Variation of podophyllotoxin in leaves of Eastern Red Cedar (Juniperus virginiana)Kent E Cushman
Planta Med 69:477-8. 2003Leaves of Eastern red cedar (Juniperus virginiana L...
- Phytochemical study on American plants I. Two new phenol glucosides, together with known biflavones and diterpene, from leaves of Juniperus occidentalis HookTsutomu Nakanishi
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Setsunan University, Hirikata, Osaka, Japan
Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 50:1358-61. 2002..cupressuflavone and amentoflavone and a diterpene, 3beta-hydroxy sandaracopimaric acid, from leaves of Juniperus occidentalis HOOK. (Cupressaceae) collected in Oregon, U.S.A...
- Investigation on the supercritical CO(2) extraction of the volatile constituents from Juniperus communis obtained under different treatments of the "berries" (cones)Paschalina Chatzopoulou
National Agricultural Research Foundation, Agricultural Research Centre of Macedonia and Thrace, Department of Aromatic and Medicinal Plants, Thessaloniki, Greece
Planta Med 68:827-31. 2002..data a) from the recovery and the composition of the extract under super critical fluid extraction from Juniperus communis L...
- Effects of phloem girdling in conifers on apical control of branches, growth allocation and air in woodBrayton F Wilson
Department of Natural Resources Conservation, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003, USA
Tree Physiol 22:347-53. 2002..A stem girdle 2 cm below a branch did not cause release of apical control in either Juniperus virginiana L. or Picea abies (L.) Karst...
- Tracheid diameter is the key trait determining the extent of freezing-induced embolism in conifersJarmila Pittermann
Department of Biology, University of Utah, 257 South 1400 East, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Tree Physiol 23:907-14. 2003..Conversely, the narrowing of tracheid diameters protects against freezing-induced embolism in cold climates...
- Measurement carbon dioxide concentration does not affect root respiration of nine tree species in the fieldAndrew J Burton
School of Forestry and Wood Products, Michigan Technological University, Houghton, MI 49931, USA
Tree Physiol 22:67-72. 2002..Our findings of no direct CO2 effect on respiration of roots of a wide variety of species suggest that such effects may be less common than previously thought for tree roots...
- Isolation of apoptosis- and differentiation-inducing substances toward human promyelocytic leukemia HL-60 cells from leaves of Juniperus taxifoliaNorio Muto
Faculty of Life and Environmental Sciences, Prefectural University of Hiroshima, Shobara 727 0023, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 72:477-84. 2008..It was thus demonstrated for the first time that 7alpha-hydroxysandaracopimaric acid was an effective differentiation-inducing compound toward HL-60 cells...
- Growth stress controls negative gravitropism in woody plant stemsHiroyuki Yamamoto
School of Bio Agricultural Sciences, Nagoya University, Chikusa, Nagoya 464 8601, Japan
Planta 216:280-92. 2002..Simulations of observed tree branch morphology of Magnolia kobus DC., Juniperus chinensis L., Abies saccharinensis Fr. Schum., and Prunus spachiana Kitamura f. spachiana cv...
- Ancient materials: analysis of a pharaonic embalming tarJohann Koller
Bayerische Staatsgemäldesammlungen, Doerner Institut, 80799 Munchen, Germany
Nature 425:784. 2003
- Antibacterial and antifungal activity of juniper berry oil and its selected componentsNatalia Filipowicz
Department of Biology and Pharmaceutical Botany, Medical University of Gdansk, Gdansk, Poland
Phytother Res 17:227-31. 2003..The presence of an adulterant in the oil was excluded...
- Immunotherapy with an aluminum hydroxide-adsorbed Juniperus ashei foreign pollen extract in seasonal indigenous cypress pollen rhinoconjunctivitis. A double-blind, placebo-controlled studyD Charpin
Service de Pneumologie, Hopital Nord, Marseille, France
Int Arch Allergy Immunol 143:83-91. 2007The efficacy of standardized Juniperus ashei extract was assessed in patients with allergic rhinoconjunctivitis due to European cypress pollens.
- Diagnosis of cypress pollen allergy: in vivo and in vitro standardization of a Juniperus ashei pollen extractM Hrabina
Département Scientifique et Médical, Stallergènes S A, Antony, France Aix en Provence, France
Allergy 58:808-13. 2003..The search for an active material has led to the selection of Juniperus ashei (Ja) pollen because of its very high cross-reactivity with cypress extracts and its superior allergenic ..
- Safety and efficacy of Juniperus ashei sublingual-swallow ultra-rush pollen immunotherapy in cypress rhinoconjunctivitis. A double-blind, placebo-controlled studyD Vervloet
UPRES EA 3287, Service de Pneumologie, Hopital Sainte Marguerite, Marseille, France
Int Arch Allergy Immunol 142:239-46. 2007..This treatment has now been evaluated using an ultra-rush incremental dose regimen with a Juniperus ashei allergen extract in patients allergic to Cupressus sempervirens and Cupressus arizonica.
- Terpenoids from Juniperus polycarpus var. seravschanicaMamoru Okasaka
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Tokushima, Shomachi 1 78 1, Tokushima 770 8505, Japan
Phytochemistry 67:2635-40. 2006..two abietanes, two podocarpanes and other nine known compounds were isolated from the dried fruits of Juniperus polycarpus var. seravschanica...
- Adsorption mechanism of cadmium on juniper bark and woodEun Woo Shin
School of Chemical Engineering and Bioengineering, University of Ulsan, San 29, Mugeo dong, Nam Gu, Ulsan 680 749, South Korea
Bioresour Technol 98:588-94. 2007..The higher Ca content in JB (15 times more) and the surface RCOOH concentration (2.5 times more) can be attributed to the observed differences in Cd adsorption behavior between the two lignocellulosic adsorbents...
- Hepatoprotective effect of Sabina przewalskii against menadione-induced toxicitySiu Po Ip
School of Chinese Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, Hong Kong
Phytother Res 18:329-31. 2004....
- Root turnover and relocation in the soil profile in response to seasonal soil water variation in a natural stand of Utah juniper (Juniperus osteosperma)Michael S Peek
Department of Forest, Range and Wildlife Sciences and the Ecology Center, Utah State University, Logan, UT 84322, USA
Tree Physiol 26:1469-76. 2006..and roots of the same species are thought to be similar in structure and life history, we hypothesized that Juniperus osteosperma (Torr...
- Woodrat (Neotoma) herbivores maintain nitrogen balance on a low-nitrogen, high-phenolic forage, Juniperus monospermaM Denise Dearing
Department of Biology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
J Comp Physiol B 175:349-55. 2005..balance on plant diets low in nitrogen and high in secondary compounds, we studied the effect of juniper (Juniperus monosperma) ingestion on the nitrogen balance of two species of herbivorous woodrats (Neotoma stephensi and N...
- Foliar mercury accumulation and exchange for three tree speciesAllison G Millhollen
Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences, University of Nevada Reno, 89557, USA
Environ Sci Technol 40:6001-6. 2006....
- A pregeijerene isomer from Juniperus erectopatens foliageLaurence G Cool
University of California Forest Products Laboratory, 1301 S 46th St, Richmond, CA 94804, USA
Phytochemistry 63:105-8. 2003A hydrocarbon that is widespread in Juniperus foliage was isolated from Juniperus erectopatens (Cheng and L. K. Fu) R. P. Adams and identified as (E,E,E)-1,7-dimethylcyclodeca-1,4,7-triene (pregeijerene B)...
- Rapidly eroding piñon-juniper woodlands in New Mexico: response to slash treatmentBrian K Hastings
Watershed Science Program, Colorado State Univ, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523, USA
J Environ Qual 32:1290-8. 2003The piñon (Pinus edulis Engelm.)-juniper [Juniperus monosperma (Engelm.) Sarg.] woodlands of Bandelier National Monument are experiencing accelerated erosion...
- An ecosystem approach to combat desertification on the Colorado PlateauAmanda Clements
U S Bureau of Land Management, B L M Uncompahgre Field Office, 2505 South Townsend Avenue, Montrose, Colorado, USA
Environ Monit Assess 99:233-43. 2004..Because many uncertainties exist, an adaptive management process is being used that allows mosaic objectives to be changed or processes modified where monitoring or scientific research indicate a need...
- Transpiration and hydraulic strategies in a piñon-juniper woodlandA G West
Department of Biology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84112, USA
Ecol Appl 18:911-27. 2008..we examined the environmental and biological controls on transpiration from a piñon-juniper (Pinus edulis-Juniperus osteosperma) woodland in southern Utah, USA...
- Role of multidecadal climate variability in a range extension of pinyon pineStephen T Gray
United States Geological Survey, Tucson, Arizona 85745, USA
Ecology 87:1124-30. 2006..by catastrophic drought (1250-1288), which we speculate produced extensive mortality of Utah Juniper (Juniperus osteosperma (Torr.) Little), the dominant tree at DJM for the previous approximately 8700 years...
- Analysis of freeze-thaw embolism in conifers. The interaction between cavitation pressure and tracheid sizeJarmila Pittermann
Department of Biology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84112, USA
Plant Physiol 140:374-82. 2006..embolism and conduit diameter across a range of xylem pressures (Px) in the conifers Pinus contorta and Juniperus scopulorum...
- Reducing the symptoms of lymphoedema: is there a role for aromatherapy?Janet Barclay
Dorset Cancer Centre, Poole Hospital, Longfleet Road, Poole BH15 2JB, UK
Eur J Oncol Nurs 10:140-9. 2006..It also slightly, but not significantly reduced limb volume. However, aromatherapy oils, carefully chosen on the basis that they should benefit this group, did not appear to influence any improvement in these measures...
- Phytochemical analysis and in vitro antiviral activities of the essential oils of seven Lebanon speciesMonica R Loizzo
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Faculty of Pharmacy and Health Sciences and Nutrition, University of Calabria, I 87036 Rende CS
Chem Biodivers 5:461-70. 2008The chemical composition of the essential oils of Laurus nobilis, Juniperus oxycedrus ssp. oxycedrus, Thuja orientalis, Cupressus sempervirens ssp...
- Repellence of the red bud borer Resseliella oculiperda from grafted apple trees by impregnation of rubber budding strips with essential oilsRob W H M van Tol
Plant Research International, Wageningen UR, PO Box 16, 6700 AA Wageningen, The Netherlands
Pest Manag Sci 63:483-90. 2007..The other potential repellents tested [the essential oil of Juniperus virginiana (L.), citronellal, the essential oil of Cinnamomum camphora (L.) J...
- Critical incident: idiosyncratic allergic reactions to essential oilsW Maddocks-Jennings
Faculty of Health, Science and Technology, Universal College of Learning, Palmerston North, New Zealand
Complement Ther Nurs Midwifery 10:58-60. 2004..Two cases are presented of potentially serious reactions that occurred within a learning situation along with a brief literature critique about allergic reactions to essential oils...
- Toxicity studies on western juniper oil (Juniperus occidentalis) and Port-Orford-cedar oil (Chamaecyparis lawsoniana) extracts utilizing local lymph node and acute dermal irritation assaysA Morrie Craig
Department of Biomedical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Oregon State University, 208 Dryden Hall, 450 SW 30th Street, Corvallis, OR 97331, USA
Toxicol Lett 154:217-24. 2004The essential oil extracts of western juniper oil (Juniperus occidentalis) and Port-Orford-cedar oil (Chamaecyparis lawsoniana) were evaluated for possible dermal toxic effects on mice and rabbits...
- Composition and antimicrobial properties of Sardinian Juniperus essential oils against foodborne pathogens and spoilage microorganismsSofia Cosentino
Department of Experimental Biology, University of Cagliari, S S 554 Km 4, 500, 09042 Monserrato, CA, Sardinia, Italy
J Food Prot 66:1288-91. 2003In this work, the chemical compositions and antimicrobial properties of Juniperus essential oils and of their main components were determined...
- Effects of crude aqueous medicinal plant extracts on growth and invasion of breast cancer cellsSeverine Van Slambrouck
Laboratory of Biochemical and Biomedical Research, Department of Chemistry and Biology, New Mexico Tech, Socorro, NM 87801, USA
Oncol Rep 17:1487-92. 2007..tridentata, J. communis L. and A. californica. This study provides original scientific data on the anticancer activity of selected aqueous medicinal plant extracts used in traditional medicine...
- Comparison between ethanolic and aqueous extracts from Chinese juniper berries for hypoglycaemic and hypolipidemic effects in alloxan-induced diabetic ratsJung Bong Ju
Department of Biology and Medicinal Science, Pai Chai University, Daejeon 302 735, Republic of Korea
J Ethnopharmacol 115:110-5. 2008Hypoglycaemic and hypolipidemic properties of the ethanolic and aqueous extracts, respectively, from Chinese juniper (Juniperus chinensis L.) berries were investigated in alloxan-induced diabetic rats.
- Ethnoveterinary medicines used for ruminants in British Columbia, CanadaCheryl Lans
School of Environmental Studies, University of Victoria, British Columbia, V8W 3P5, Canada
J Ethnobiol Ethnomed 3:11. 2007..The use of medicinal plants is an option for livestock farmers who are not allowed to use allopathic drugs under certified organic programs or cannot afford to use allopathic drugs for minor health problems of livestock...
- Ethnoveterinary medicines used to treat endoparasites and stomach problems in pigs and pets in British Columbia, CanadaCheryl Lans
BCICS, University of Victoria, British Columbia V8W 2Y2, Canada
Vet Parasitol 148:325-40. 2007..Asphodelaceae), Elytrigia repens (L.) Desv. ex Nevski (Poaceae), Frangula purshiana (DC.) Cooper (Rhamnaceae), Juniperus communis L. (Cupressaceae), Melissa officinalis L. and M. piperita L. (Lamiaceae), Petroselinum crispum L...
- Wild vascular plants gathered for consumption in the Polish countryside: a reviewŁukasz Łuczaj
High School of Humanities and Economics in Łódź, Department of Humanities, 90 222 Łódź, Poland
J Ethnobiol Ethnomed 3:17. 2007..This paper is an ethnobotanical review of wild edible plants gathered for consumption from the end of the 18th century to the present day, within the present borders of Poland...
- Biodiversity and new records of microfungi in the Ruhrarea (north Rhine Westfalia), GermanyNosrathollah Ale-Agha
Department of General Botany, University Duisburg Essen Universitätsstr 5, DE 45117 Essen, Germany
Commun Agric Appl Biol Sci 74:785-96. 2009..M. Kirk on Quercus robur L. (new for NRW), Lophodermium juniperinum (Fr.) de Not. on Juniperus communis L., Mamiania coryli De Not. on Corylus avellana L., Marssonina juglandis (Lib...
- Medicinal plant treatments for fleas and ear problems of cats and dogs in British Columbia, CanadaCheryl Lans
DVM, P O Box 72045, Sasamat, Vancouver, BC V6R4P2, Canada
Parasitol Res 103:889-98. 2008..Fleas and flies are treated with Artemisia vulgaris L. (Asteraceae), Citrus x limon (L.), Juniperus communis L. var. depressa Pursh. (Cupressaceae), Lavandula officinalis L. (Labiatae), Melissa officinalis L...
- Survival and development of Lymantria monacha (Lepidoptera: Lymantriidae) on North American and introduced Eurasian tree speciesM A Keena
Northeastern Research Station, Northeastern Center for Forest Health Research, USDA Forest Service, Hamden, CT 06514, USA
J Econ Entomol 96:43-52. 2003..platanoidies, A. saccharum, F. americana, Juniperus virginiana, Larix kaempferi, Liriodendron tulipfera, Morus alba, P. taeda, and P. deltoides)...
- Fungal control of pathogenic fungi isolated from wild plants in Taif Governorate, Saudia ArabiaA M Abou-Zeid
Biology Department, Faculty of Science, Taif University, Saudi Arabia P B
Roum Arch Microbiol Immunol 66:90-6. 2007Twenty two plants were collected from Taif Governorate and identified as: Euphorbia glomerifera, Juniperus procera, Launaea mucronata, Capparis dcidua, Punica granatum, Opuntia ficus, Prunus persica, Eucalyptus globulus, Medicago sativa, ..
- Ethnomedicine in Himalaya: a case study from Dolpa, Humla, Jumla and Mustang districts of NepalRipu M Kunwar
Center for Biological Conservation, Nepal
J Ethnobiol Ethnomed 2:27. 2006..The genera Aconitum, Allium, Arisaema, Berberis, Corydalis, Gentiana, Hippophae, Juniperus and Rhododendron each possessed two species with ethnomedicinal use...
- Analysis of airborne pollen concentrations in Zagreb, Croatia, 2002Renata Peternel
Zagreb Institute of Public Health, Mirogojska 16, HR 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
Ann Agric Environ Med 10:107-12. 2003..Among identified pollen of 35 plant species/genera/families, 23 were allergenic: Taxus/Juniperus, Alnus sp., Fraxinus sp., Betula sp., Corylus sp., Poaceae, Urticaceae, Artemisia sp., Ambrosia sp., Carpinus sp...
- Toxicity of plant essential oils and their components against Lycoriella ingenua (Diptera: Sciaridae)Il Kwon Park
Division of Forest Insect Pests and Diseases, Korea Forest Research Institute, Seoul 130 012, Republic of Korea
J Econ Entomol 101:139-44. 2008..C.) Stapf.], mandarine (Citrus reticulate Blanco), nutmeg (Myristica fragrans Houtt), cade (Juniperus oxycedrus L.), spearmint (Mentha spicata L.), cumin (Cuminum cyminum L.), and thyme red [Thymus vulgaris (L...
- Antioxidant activity of some Jordanian medicinal plants used traditionally for treatment of diabetesAhmed H Al-Mustafa
Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, Mutah University, P O Box 7, Postal Code 61710, Mutah Al Karak, Jordan
Pak J Biol Sci 11:351-8. 2008..e., Punica granatum peel, Quercus calliprinos leave, Quercus calliprinos fruit, Cinchona ledgeriana and Juniperus communis leave), moderate (DPPH-TEAC range 20-80 mg g(-1)) (i.e...
- Distribution and hosts of Callidiellum rufipenne (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae), an asian cedar borer established in the eastern United StatesChris T Maier
Department of Entomology, Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station, P O Box 1106, New Haven, CT 06504 1106, USA
J Econ Entomol 100:1291-7. 2007..Britton, Sterns, and Poggenburg and Juniperus virginiana L. than in Pinus rigida Miller, Pinus strobus L., and Tsuga canadensis (L...
- Isolation of antifungal compounds from Gardenia jasminoidesR A A Lelono
United Graduate School of Agricultural Sciences, Ehime University, 3 5 7 Tarumi, Matsuyama, Ehime 790 8566, Japan
Pak J Biol Sci 12:949-56. 2009..Cupressaceae), Datura innoxia (Solanaceae), Ligustrum japonicum T. (Oleaceae), Juniperus chinensis var. procumbens (Cupressaceae) and Mallotus japonica M...
- Cytotoxic effects of some animal and vegetable extracts and some chemicals on liver and colon carcinoma and myosarcomaVahdettin Bayazit
Department of Biology, Faculty of Science and Arts, University of Dumlupinar, Kutahya, Turkey
Saudi Med J 25:156-63. 2004..To study, the cytotoxic effects of some biological and chemical agents on G1, S, G2, M and G0 phases of liver and colon carcinomas and myosarcoma cells obtained with chemical carcinogens dimethylbenzanthracene (DMBA) and cadmium chloride...
- The unusual occurrence of 14-methylhexadecanoic acid in Pinaceae seed oils among plantsR L Wolff
ISTAB, Laboratoire de Lipochimie Alimentaire, Universite Bordeaux, Talence, France
Lipids 32:971-3. 1997..02-1.15%. 14-MHD acid could not be detected in the lipids of Taxaceae (Taxus baccata), Cupressaceae (Juniperus communis), or Taxodiaceae (Sciadopytis verticillata), even after a 10-fold concentration of the saturated acid ..
- Antimicrobial activity and chemical composition of some essential oilsBuket Cicioglu Aridogan
Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology Department, Faculty of Medicine, Suleyman Demirel University, Isparta, Turkey
Arch Pharm Res 25:860-4. 2002..the composition and antimicrobial properties of essential oils obtained from Origanum onites, Mentha piperita, Juniperus exalsa, Chrysanthemum indicum, Lavandula hybrida, Rosa damascena, Echinophora tenuifolia, Foeniculum vulgare ..
- Evaluating companion planting and non-host masking odors for protecting roses from the Japanese beetle (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae)D W Held
Department of Entomology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40546 0091, USA
J Econ Entomol 96:81-7. 2003..fennel seeds (Foeniculm vulgare Miller), crushed spearmint (Mentha picata L.), cedar shavings (Juniperus sp.), osage orange fruits (Maclura pomifera (Raif) Schneid.), and fleshy gingko seeds (Gingko biloba L.)...
- Toxicological assessment of P-9801091 plant mixture extract after chronic administration in CBA/HZg mice--a biochemical and histological studyRoberta Petlevski
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Hematology, Faculty of Pharmacy and Medical Biochemistry, University of Zagreb, Zagreb, Croatia
Coll Antropol 32:577-81. 2008..Taraxaci radix (Taraxacum officinale Web.), Cichorii radix (Cichorium intybus L.), Juniperi fructus (Juniperus communis L.), Centaurii herba (Centaurium umbellatum Gilib.), Phaseoli fructus sine semine (Phaseolus vulgaris L...
- Indigenous use and bio-efficacy of medicinal plants in the Rasuwa District, Central NepalYadav Uprety
Human Ecology Department, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Laarbeeklaan 109, B 1090 Brussels, Belgium
J Ethnobiol Ethnomed 6:3. 2010..Although several ethnobotanical studies were conducted in the country, many areas remain unexplored. Furthermore, few studies have compared indigenous plant use with reported phytochemical and pharmacological properties...
- Active ingredients in cade oil that synergize attractiveness of alpha-ionol to male Bactrocera latifrons (Diptera: Tephritidae)Grant T McQuate
USDA ARS, U S Pacific Basin Agricultural Research Center, P O Box 4459, Hilo, HI 96720, USA
J Econ Entomol 97:862-70. 2004Cade oil, a commercially available essential oil produced by destructive distillation of juniper, Juniperus oxycedrus L., twigs, is known to synergize the attractancy of alpha-ionol to male Bactrocera latifrons (Hendel)...
- Screening of five essential oils for identification of potential inhibitors of IL-1-induced Nf-kappaB activation and NO production in human chondrocytes: characterization of the inhibitory activity of alpha-pineneAngela Neves
Laboratory of Pharmacognosy, Faculty of Pharmacy CEF, University of Coimbra, Coimbra, Portugal
Planta Med 76:303-8. 2010..Lamiaceae), Origanum virens L. (Lamiaceae), Lavandula luiseri L. (Lamiaceae), and Juniperus oxycedrus L. subsp...
- [Interest of lignans in prevention and treatment of cancers]Frédéric Lamblin
Laboratoire de Biologie des Ligneux et des Grandes Cultures, UPRES EA 1207, Centre Universitaire de Chartres, 21, rue de Loigny la Bataille, 28000 Chartres, France
Med Sci (Paris) 24:511-9. 2008..Among them, north american Podophyllum peltatum, Linum wild species, Hyptis, Anthriscus, Juniperus or Dysosma species which accumulate Podophyllotoxin or closely related derivatives, are good candidates...
- Vegetable and animal food sorts found in the gastric content of Sardinian Wild Boar (Sus scrofa meridionalis)W Pinna
Sezione di Produzioni Animali, Dipartimento di Biologia Animale, Universita di Sassari, Sassari, Italy
J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr (Berl) 91:252-5. 2007..fatua, Avena sativa, Castanea sativa, Ceratonia siliqua, Chamaerops umilis, Cichorium intybus, Hordeum sativum, Juniperus oxycedrus, Myrtus communis, Olea europea, Pirus amygdaliformis, Pistacia lentiscus, Quercus spp...
- Activity of Scottish plant, lichen and fungal endophyte extracts against Mycobacterium aurum and Mycobacterium tuberculosisAndréa Y Gordien
Strathclyde Institute of Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK
Phytother Res 24:692-8. 2010..tuberculosis H(37)Rv. The best activity against M. aurum was observed for extracts of Juniperus communis roots and Cladonia arbuscula (MIC = 4 microg/mL), and a fungal endophyte isolated from Vaccinium ..
- The influence of organ, season and drying method on chemical composition and antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of Juniperus phoenicea L. essential oilsMonia Ennajar
Laboratoire de Physicochimie des Matériaux, IPEST, BP51, La Marsa 2070, Tunisia
J Sci Food Agric 90:462-70. 2010b>Juniperus phoenicea is an important medicinal plant. In the present study, essential oils (18 samples) from leaves and berries of Juniperus phoenicea L...
- Structural biology of cedar pollen allergyTerumi Midoro Horiuti; Fiscal Year: 2007..Midoro by incorporating expertise from diverse fields. Completion of this project should greatly enhance Dr. Midoro's chances of an independent research carrier. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Perinatal exposure to environmental estrogens and asthma pathogenesisTerumi Midoro Horiuti; Fiscal Year: 2008..This project will develop a mouse model to investigate the effects of environmental estrogen-like chemicals on the development of asthma in children. ..