Summary: A plant genus of the family Costaceae (sometimes classified in Zingiberaceae), order Zingiberales, subclass Zingiberidae, class Liliopsida (monocotyledons). It is a source of SAPONINS and furostanol glycosides.
- Evaluation of the in vitro anticancer, antimicrobial and antioxidant activities of some Yemeni plants used in folk medicineR A A Mothana
Department of Pharmacognosy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Sana a University, Sana a, Yemen
Pharmazie 64:260-8. 2009..As a result of this work, 12 Yemeni herbs namely Centaurothamus maximus, Costus arabicus, Cupressus sempervirens, Dichrocephala integrifolia, Euphorbia schimperi, Gomphocarpus fruticosus, ..
- Snakebites and ethnobotany in the northwest region of Colombia: Part II: neutralization of lethal and enzymatic effects of Bothrops atrox venomR Otero
Programa de Ofidismo, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Antioquia, A A 1226, Medellin, Colombia
J Ethnopharmacol 71:505-11. 2000..05) were: leaves, branches and stem of Costus lasius (Costaceae); the whole plant of Sida acuta (Malvaceae); rhizomes of Dracontium croatii (Araceae); leaves ..
- A molecular phylogeny of Costaceae (Zingiberales)C D Specht
Department of Biology, New York University, New York, New York 10003, USA
Mol Phylogenet Evol 21:333-45. 2001..The genus Costus is broadly paraphyletic but Costus subgenus Eucostus K. Schum...
- Ethnobotanical survey and antibacterial activity of some plants used in Guinean traditional medicineF B Magassouba
Centre de Recherche et de Valorisation des Plantes Médicinales de Dubréka, BP 6411 Conakry, Guinea
J Ethnopharmacol 114:44-53. 2007..Ximenia americana, Annona senegalensis, Cochlospermum tinctorium, Cochlospermum planchonii, Lantana camara, Costus afer, Psidium guajava, Terminalia glaucescens, Uapaca somon and Swartzia madagascariensis...
- Antihyperglycemic and hypolipidemic effects of Costus speciosus in alloxan induced diabetic ratsJasmin H Bavarva
Department of Biosciences, Sardar Patel University, Vallabh Vidyanagar 388120, Gujarat, India
Phytother Res 22:620-6. 2008..In the present study, the antihyperglycemic, antihyperlipemic and antioxidant potency of an ethanol extract of Costus speciosus root was investigated in alloxan-induced diabetic male (Charles Foster) rats...
- Antidiabetic and antilipidemic effect of eremanthin from Costus speciosus (Koen.)Sm., in STZ-induced diabetic ratsJ Eliza
Department of Biotechnology, Holy Cross College, Trichy 620002, Tamil Nadu, India
Chem Biol Interact 182:67-72. 2009..b>Costus speciosus is widely used in Indian medicine to treat various diseases. Eremanthin was isolated from C. speciosus...
- Costus pictus extracts stimulate insulin secretion from mouse and human islets of Langerhans in vitroAltaf Al-Romaiyan
Diabetes Research Group, King s College London, London, United Kingdom
Cell Physiol Biochem 26:1051-8. 2010..Extracts of Costus pictus (CP), a plant belonging to the Costaceae family, are reported to have antidiabetic activity in vivo...
- Probing key targets in insulin signaling and adipogenesis using a methanolic extract of Costus pictus and its bioactive molecule, methyl tetracosanoateKusampudi Shilpa
Centre for Biotechnology, Anna University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, 600025, India
Biotechnol Lett 31:1837-41. 2009A methanolic extract of Costus pictus (CPME) showed optimum anti-diabetic activity at 100 ng/ml. Bioactivity-guided purification of CPME led to the isolation of methyl tetracosanoate (MT) which showed an optimum glucose uptake at 1 ng/ml...
- Antioxidant activity of costunolide and eremanthin isolated from Costus speciosus (Koen ex. Retz) SmJ Eliza
Department of Biotechnology, Holy Cross College, Trichy 620002, Tamil Nadu, India
Chem Biol Interact 188:467-72. 2010..was aimed at assessing the antioxidant property of costunolide and eremanthin isolated from a medicinal plant Costus speciosus (Koen ex. Retz) Sm. rhizome. Experimental diabetes was induced by a single dose of STZ (60mg/kg, i.p...
- Normo-glycemic and hypolipidemic effect of costunolide isolated from Costus speciosus (Koen ex. Retz.)Sm. in streptozotocin-induced diabetic ratsJames Eliza
Department of Biotechnology, Holy Cross College, Trichy 620002, Tamil Nadu, India
Chem Biol Interact 179:329-34. 2009..Many plants have successfully been used to overcome this problem. Costus speciosus is widely used in Indian medicine to treat various diseases including diabetes...
- Screening of Costus speciosus extracts for antioxidant activityM A Vijayalakshmi
Centre for Bio Separation Technology, V IT University, Vellore 14, Tamil Nadu, India
Fitoterapia 79:197-8. 2008Different parts of Costus speciosus were investigated for their polyphenol content and antioxidant activity.
- Hypoglycemic potential of Morus indica. L and Costus igneus. Nak.--a preliminary studyVishalakshi D Devi
Department of Studies in Food Science and Nutrition, University of Mysore, Manasagangotri, Mysore 570 006, India
Indian J Exp Biol 46:614-6. 2008..The preliminary results suggest that both the plants possess potent hypoglycemic activity...
- Investigations of the methanolic leaf extract of Costus afer. Ker for pharmacological activities in vitro and in vivoA O Anaga
Department of Veterinary Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Enugu State
Phytomedicine 11:242-8. 2004The methanolic leaf extract of Costus afer. Ker (family: Zingiberaceae) was investigated for some pharmacological effects in vivo and in vitro. Brine shrimp lethality test showed that the extract was significantly (p < 0...
- Phytochemical screening, antibacterial activity and in vitro interactions between Costus cf. arabicus L. with UV-A and aminoglycosidesFrancisco A B Cunha
Laboratório de Microbiologia e Biologia Molecular, Universidade Regional do Cariri, Crato CE, Brazil
Nat Prod Res 26:380-6. 2012In this study, the methanol extracts of of Costus cf. arabicus L. were evaluated for antibacterial activity against multiresistant strains of Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus...
- Free radical scavenging potential of Saussarea costusMadan Mohan Pandey
Pharmacognosy and Ethnopharmacology Division, National Botanical Research Institute, Lucknow 226 001, India
Acta Pharm 55:297-304. 2005Saussurea costus (Falc.) Lipschitz from the family Asteraceae is an important medicinal drug, the roots of which are widely used in folk medicine...
- Orally active hypoglycemic protein from Costus igneus N. E. Br.: an in vitro and in vivo studyBimba N Joshi
Biometry and Nutrition Group, Agharkar Research Institute, Pune 411 004, India
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 436:278-82. 2013..In the present study, insulin-like protein (ILP) is purified from Costus igneus belonging to family Costaceae from Western ghats of India...
- Next generation sequencing and de novo transcriptome analysis of Costus pictus D. Don, a non-model plant with potent anti-diabetic propertiesRamasamy S Annadurai
MTP Biology, ITC R and D Centre, Peenya Industrial Area, Bangalore, Karnataka, India
BMC Genomics 13:663. 2012..A number of plant species are known to possess diabetic control properties. Costus pictus D...
- Permanent genetic resources added to Molecular Ecology Resources Database 1 October 2011-30 November 2011Aluana G Abreu
Molecular Ecology Resources Editorial Office, 6270 University Blvd, Vancouver BC V6T1Z4, Canada
Mol Ecol Resour 12:374-6. 2012..Loci were developed for the following species: Aglaoctenus lagotis, Costus pulverulentus, Costus scaber, Culex pipiens, Dascyllus marginatus, Lupinus nanus Benth, Phloeomyzus passerini, ..
- Evaluation of anti-arthritic potential of the methanolic extract of the aerial parts of Costus speciosusShruti Srivastava
Department of Pharmacognosy, Teerthanker Mahaveer College of Pharmacy, Teerthanker Mahaveer University, Moradabad, Uttar Pradesh, India
J Ayurveda Integr Med 3:204-8. 2012b>Costus speciosus Koen. (Keu, Crape ginger), an ornamental plant, widely distributed in India is traditionally used as astringent, aphrodisiac, purgative, anthelmintic, depurative, febrifuge and expectorant...
- Restricted gene flow within and between rapidly diverging Neotropical plant speciesYann Surget-Groba
Key Laboratory of Tropical Forest Ecology, Xishuangbanna Tropical Botanical Garden, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Mengla, Menglun, Yunnan, 666303, China
Mol Ecol 22:4931-42. 2013..Here, we document patterns of gene flow within and between two members of a rapid Neotropical species radiation, Costus pulverulentus and Costus scaber (Costaceae)...
- In vitro antioxidant and antiproliferative potential of medicinal plants used in traditional Indian medicine to treat cancerArul Albert Baskar
Department of Community Health Sciences, College of Applied Medical Sciences, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Redox Rep 17:145-56. 2012..Cynodon dactylon (L.) Pers, Costus speciosus (J. Koenig.) Smith Costaceae, Achyranthes aspera L., Amaranthus tristis Roxb...
- In vitro evaluation of calcium oxalate monohydrate crystals influenced by Costus igneus aqueous extractManjula Kesavan
Department of Biotechnology, Periyar Maniammai University, Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu, India
Scand J Urol Nephrol 46:290-7. 2012..Calcium oxalate monohydrate (COM) crystals are frequently found in urinary calculi (stones)...
- Antimicrobial activity of sesquiterpene lactones isolated from traditional medicinal plant, Costus speciosus (Koen ex.Retz.) SmVeeramuthu Duraipandiyan
Department of Botany and Microbiology, Addiriyah Chair for Environmental Studies, College of Science, King Saud University, Riyad, Saudi Arabia
BMC Complement Altern Med 12:13. 2012b>Costus speciosus (Koen ex.Retz.) Sm (Costaceae) is an Indian ornamental plant which has long been used medicinally in traditional systems of medicine. The plant has been found to possess diverse pharmacological activities...
- Dehydrocostuslactone suppresses angiogenesis in vitro and in vivo through inhibition of Akt/GSK-3β and mTOR signaling pathwaysChih Ya Wang
Pharmacological Institute, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
PLoS ONE 7:e31195. 2012The traditional Chinese medicine component dehydrocostuslactone (DHC) isolated from Saussurea costus (Falc.) Lipschitz, has been shown to have anti-cancer activity...
- Effect of Costus igneus stem extract on calcium oxalate urolithiasis in albino ratsK Manjula
Department of Biotechnology, Periyar Maniammai University, Tamil Nadu, India
Urol Res 40:499-510. 2012The effects of aqueous and ethanolic extracts of Costus igneus (stem) and isolated compounds lupeol and stigmasterol on calcium oxalate urolithiasis have been studied in male albino Wistar rats...
- Synthesis of tamarixetin and isorhamnetin 3-O-neohesperidosideWenjie Peng
State Key Laboratory of Catalyst, Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Dalian 116023, China
Carbohydr Res 340:1682-8. 2005Two isomeric flavonol 3-O-glycosides, tamarixetin and isorhamnetin 3-O-neohesperidoside (1 and 2), were synthesized. The natural product from Costus spicatus assigned as the former compound is revised to the latter structure.
- Different types of plant chromatin associated with modified histones H3 and H4 and methylated DNALidiane Feitoza
Laboratory of Plant Cytogenetics, Department of Botany, Federal University of Pernambuco, Recife, Brazil
Genetica 139:305-14. 2011..Both species, Costus spiralis and Eleutherine bulbosa, additionally have a small amount of classical heterochromatin detected by CMA/..
- Effect of the insulin plant (Costus igneus) leaves on dexamethasone-induced hyperglycemiaAkhila J Shetty
Department of Pharmacology, Kasturba Medical College KMC, Mangalore Campus, Manipal University, Manipal, India
Int J Ayurveda Res 1:100-2. 2010b>Costus igneus, commonly known as insulin plant in India, belongs to the family Costaceae...
- Traditional management of tuberculosis in Ogun State of Nigeria: the practice and ethnobotanical surveyOmonike O Ogbole
Department of Pharmacognosy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Olabisi Onabanjo University, Sagamu, Nigeria
Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med 7:79-84. 2010..Cola acumminata (fruit), Garcinia kola (leaf), Vitallaria parodoxa (oil), Costus afer (stem), Pycnanthus angolensis (stem bark) and Aframomum melegueta (fruit) were the most frequently mentioned ..
- Surfactant-assisted pressurized liquid extraction for determination of flavonoids from Costus speciosus by micellar electrokinetic chromatographyYong Qin Chang
Natural Sciences and Science Education Academic Group, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
J Sep Sci 34:462-8. 2011..namely surfactant-assisted pressurized liquid extraction (PLE), was developed for the extraction of flavonoids in Costus speciosus flowers before MEKC analysis...
- The effects of subinhibitory concentrations of costus oil on virulence factor production in Staphylococcus aureusJ Qiu
Institute of Zoonoses, College of Animal Sciences and Veterinary Medicine, Jilin University, Changchun, China
J Appl Microbiol 110:333-40. 2011To determine the antimicrobial activity of costus (Saussurea lappa) oil against Staphylococcus aureus, and to evaluate the influence of subinhibitory concentrations of costus oil on virulence-related exoprotein production in staph. aureus.
- Costunolide inhibits proinflammatory cytokines and iNOS in activated murine BV2 microgliaNirmala Arul Rayan
Department of Biotechnology, Holy Cross College, Tiruchirapalli, India
Front Biosci (Elite Ed) 3:1079-91. 2011Costunolide, a sesquiterpene lactone present in Costus speciosus root exerts a variety of pharmacological activity but its effects on neuroinflammation have not been studied...
- The effects of wild ginger (Costus speciosus (Koen) Smith) rhizome extract and diosgenin on rat uterine contractionsWanwisa Lijuan
Institute of Science, Suranaree University of Technology, Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand
Reprod Sci 18:516-24. 2011The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of wild ginger (Costus speciosus (Koen) Smith, Costaceae) rhizome extract on uterine contractility...
- Molecular cloning and functional expression of cDNAs encoding oxidosqualene cyclases from Costus speciosusNoriaki Kawano
Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 25:477-82. 2002b>Costus speciosus produces a large quantity of steroidal glycosides derived from the sole aglycone, diosgenin...
- Assessment of anti-nociceptive efficacy of costus speciosus rhizome in swiss albino miceSanjib Bhattacharya
Bengal School of Technology A College of Pharmacy, Hooghly, West Bengal India
J Adv Pharm Technol Res 1:34-40. 2010Present study attempts to evaluate the anti-nociceptive activity of the aqueous and ethanol extracts of Costus speciosus rhizome (CPA and CPE) in Swiss albino mice...
- Antioxidant and antitopoisomerase activities in plant extracts of some Colombian flora from La Marcada Natural Regional ParkJaime Niño
Grupo de Biotecnología Productos Naturales, Escuela de Tecnología Química, Universidad Tecnologica de Pereira, Pereira, Colombia
Rev Biol Trop 59:1089-97. 2011..In the DPPH assay, the n-hexane crude extract from Costus sp...
- Aqueous fraction from Costus spiralis (Jacq.) Roscoe leaf reduces contractility by impairing the calcium inward current in the mammalian myocardiumRaquel Moreira Britto
Laboratório de Biofísica do Coração, Departamento de Fisiologia, Universidade Federal de Sergipe, Aracaju, SE, Brazil
J Ethnopharmacol 138:382-9. 2011Brazilian folk medicine uses infusion of Costus spiralis leaf to help people to treat arterial hypertension and syndromes of cardiac hyperexcitability.
- The centromeric heterochromatin of Costus spiralis: poorly methylated and transiently acetylated during meiosisL Feitoza
Laboratory of Plant Cytogenetics, Department of Botany, Federal University of Pernambuco, Recife, Brazil
Cytogenet Genome Res 135:160-6. 2011The centromeric region of Costus spiralis is characteristically composed of a small heterochromatic DAPI(+) band flanked by a discrete decondensed region...
- Antitrypanosomal sesquiterpene lactones from Saussurea costusTasqiah Julianti
Division of Pharmaceutical Biology, University of Basel, CH 4056 Basel, Switzerland
Fitoterapia 82:955-9. 2011In the course of a larger screen of 1800 plant and fungal extracts, the ethyl acetate extract of Saussurea costus roots potently inhibited the growth of Trypanosoma brucei rhodesiense...
- Changes in expression pattern of the teosinte branched1-like genes in the Zingiberales provide a mechanism for evolutionary shifts in symmetry across the orderMadelaine E Bartlett
Department of Plant and Microbial Biology, University of California Berkeley, 111 Koshland Hall, Berkeley, California 94720, USA
Am J Bot 98:227-43. 2011..In the Zingiberales, evolutionary shifts in symmetry have occurred in all floral whorls, making the order ideal for studying the evolution of this ecologically significant trait...
- In vitro antibacterial, phototoxic, and synergistic activity of ethanol extracts from Costus cf. arabicus LFrancisco A B Cunha
Laboratory of Microbiology and Molecular Biology, Regional University of Cariri, Crato, Ceará State, Brazil
J Med Food 14:964-8. 2011In this study, ethanol extracts of stems and leaves of Costus cf. arabicus L. were evaluated for antibacterial activity against multidrug-resistant strains of Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus...
- Antinociceptive and anti-inflammatory effects of Costus spicatus in experimental animalsLucindo J Quintans Júnior
Departamento de Fisiologia, Universidade Federal de Sergipe DFS UFS, Sao Cristovao, Sergipe, Brazil
Pharm Biol 48:1097-102. 2010b>Costus spicatus Swartz (Costaceae), commonly called "cana-do-brejo'" in Brazil's northeast, is a medicinal plant found in wet coastal forests. In folk medicine an infusion of the aerial parts is taken to treat inflammation and pain.
- Evidence for the involvement of Globosa-like gene duplications and expression divergence in the evolution of floral morphology in the ZingiberalesMadelaine E Bartlett
Department of Plant and Microbial Biology, University of California Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
New Phytol 187:521-41. 2010..Expression of two GLO homologs was assessed in Costus spicatus and Musa basjoo...
- Phylogenetic origins of the Himalayan endemic Dolomiaea, Diplazoptilon and Xanthopappus (Asteraceae: Cardueae) based on three DNA regionsYu Jin Wang
Key Laboratory of Qinghai Tibetan Plateau Ecological Adaptation, Northwest Plateau Institute of Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Xining 810008, Qinghai, China
Ann Bot 99:311-22. 2007..In the present study, the phylogenetic relationships and origins of three such endemic genera were analysed, Dolomiaea, Diplazoptilon and Xanthopappus, all in the tribe Cardueae of Asteraceae...
- Reproductive isolation between two closely related hummingbird-pollinated neotropical gingersKathleen M Kay
Department of Plant Biology, Michigan State University, East Lansing 48824, USA
Evolution 60:538-52. 2006..I investigated the factors contributing to reproductive isolation between Costus pulverulentus and C. scaber (Costaceae), two closely related hummingbird-pollinated understory Neotropical herbs...
- Phyllosphere nitrogen relations: reciprocal transfer of nitrogen between epiphyllous liverworts and host plants in the understorey of a lowland tropical wet forest in Costa RicaWolfgang Wanek
Institute of Ecology and Conservation Biology, University of Vienna, Althanstrasse 14, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
New Phytol 166:577-88. 2005..interdependency, nitrogen fluxes between epiphyllous liverworts and their host leaves (Carludovica drudei, Costus laevis, Dieffenbachia concinna, Pentagonia wendlandii) were quantified by in situ15N-labelling techniques in a ..
- New steroidal saponins from rhizomes of Costus spiralisBernadete P da Silva
Laboratório de Química de Plantas Medicinais, Nucleo de Pesquisas de Produtos Naturais, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, PO Box 68045, CEP 21944 970 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Z Naturforsch C 59:81-5. 2004Two new steroidal saponins were isolated from the rhizomes of Costus spiralis Rosc...
- [Studies on chemical constituents of two plants from Costus]Chun Feng Qiao
Department of Pharmacognosy, China Pharmaceutical University, Nanjing 210038, Jiangsu, China
Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi 27:123-5. 2002To study the chemical constituents of Costus speciosus and C. tonkinensis (Zingiberaceae) distributed in Yunnan province.
- Medicinal and ethnoveterinary remedies of hunters in TrinidadC Lans
Group Technology and Agrarian Development, Hollandseweg 1, 6706 KN Wageningen University, The Netherlands
BMC Complement Altern Med 1:10. 2001..Ethnomedicines are used by hunters for themselves and their hunting dogs in Trinidad. Plants are used for snakebites, scorpion stings, for injuries and mange of dogs and to facilitate hunting success...
- C-27 and C-3 glucosylation of diosgenin by cell suspension cultures of Costus speciosusG Indrayanto
Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Airlangga University, Surabaya, Indonesia
J Asian Nat Prod Res 3:161-8. 2001..27-O-beta-D-glucopyranosyl-(25R)-spirost-5-ene-3beta,27-diol was isolated from cell suspension cultures of Costus speciosus, following incubation with diosgenin, and its structure was elucidated using a combination of one- and ..
- Inhibition of inducible nitric oxide synthesis by the herbal preparation Padma 28 in macrophage cell lineT Moeslinger
Institute of Physiology, Vienna, Austria
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 78:861-6. 2000..Padma 28 decreased iNOS mRNA levels as shown by RT-PCR. Aqueous extracts from costi amari radix (costus root, the dried root of Saussurea lappa) and the outer cover of myrobalani fructus (the dried fruit of Terminalia ..
- Screening of Zingiberaceae extracts for antimicrobial and antioxidant activitiesM Habsah
Department of Chemistry, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
J Ethnopharmacol 72:403-10. 2000Dichloromethane and methanol extracts of 13 Zingiberaceae species from the Alpinia, Costus and Zingiber genera were screened for antimicrobial and antioxidant activities...
- Molecular cloning and bacterial expression of a cDNA encoding furostanol glycoside 26-O-beta-glucosidase of Costus speciosusK Inoue
Department of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Japan
FEBS Lett 389:273-7. 1996Furostanol glycoside 26-O-beta-glucosidase (F26G) purified from Costus speciosus rhizomes was digested with endoproteinase, and several internal peptide fragments were obtained...
- Saussurea costus: botanical, chemical and pharmacological review of an ayurvedic medicinal plantMadan Mohan Pandey
Pharmacognosy and Ethnopharmacology Division, National Botanical Research Institute, Rana Pratap Marg, Lucknow, India
J Ethnopharmacol 110:379-90. 2007Saussurea costus (Falc.) Lipschitz, syn Saussurea lappa C.B. Clarke is a well known and important medicinal plant widely used in several indigenous systems of medicine for the treatment of various ailments, viz...
- Evaluation of phototoxic properties of fragrancesMarianne Placzek
Department of Dermatology and Allergology, Ludwig Maximilians University Munchen, Germany
Acta Derm Venereol 87:312-6. 2007..Moderate UVA-induced haemolysis (5-11%) was found with benzyl alcohol, bergamot oil, costus root oil, lime oil, orange oil, alpha-amyl cinnamic aldehyde and laurel leaf oil...
- Oxytocic effects of the aqueous leaf extract of Costus lucanusianus - family Costaceae on isolated non-pregnant rat uterusOmonkhelini J Owolabi
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Benin, Nigeria
Pak J Pharm Sci 23:207-11. 2010b>Costus lucanusianus J. Braun (Costaceae) is a climbing herb, found mainly in the Niger Delta region of Nigeria. This plant is locally used in situations of pains, inflammation, dysmenorrhoea and in pyrexia...
- Biochemical conservation and evolution of germacrene A oxidase in asteraceaeDon Trinh Nguyen
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Calgary, Calgary T2N 1N4, Canada
J Biol Chem 285:16588-98. 2010..further isolated from the representative species of three major subfamilies of Asteraceae (sunflower, chicory, and costus from Asteroideae, Cichorioideae, and Carduoideae, respectively) and also from the phylogenetically basal species, ..
- The evolution of postpollination reproductive isolation in CostusJenn M Yost
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of California, Santa Cruz, CA 95064, USA
Sex Plant Reprod 22:247-55. 2009..We then review empirical studies in the plant genus Costus, evaluating documented postpollination barriers in light of these hypotheses...
- Cytotoxic and antibacterial activities of endophytic fungi isolated from plants at the National Park, Pahang, MalaysiaNurul A M N Hazalin
Universiti Teknologi MARA, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
BMC Complement Altern Med 9:46. 2009..Endophytes, microorganisms which reside in plant tissues, have potential in producing novel metabolites for exploitation in medicine. Cytotoxic and antibacterial activities of a total of 300 endophytic fungi were investigated...
- Antihyperglycemic and insulin secretory activity of Costus pictus leaf extract in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats and in in vitro pancreatic islet cultureG Gireesh
Molecular Neurobiology and Cell Biology Unit, Centre for Neuroscience, Department of Biotechnology, Cochin University of Science and Technology, Cochin 682022, Kerala, India
J Ethnopharmacol 123:470-4. 2009The leaves of Costus pictus D. Don were used extensively for its antihyperglycemic activity by the people in Kerala, India...
- Costus spicatus tea failed to improve diabetic progression in C57BLKS/J db/db mice, a model of type 2 diabetes mellitusAmy C Keller
Department of Biological Sciences, Lehman College and The Graduate Center, The City University of New York, Bronx, NY 10468, USA
J Ethnopharmacol 121:248-54. 2009b>Costus spicatus Sw. (Costaceae) is a prominent medicinal herb used by Dominicans in the Dominican Republic and the United States for the treatment of diabetes, a growing epidemic in the Hispanic community...
- Modulation of sodium pumps by steroidal saponinsAloa Machado De Souza
Instituto de Biofisica Carlos Chagas Filho, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Centro de Ciencias da Saude, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Z Naturforsch C 59:432-6. 2004b>Costus spicatus, used in Brazilian traditional medicine to expel kidney stones, contains steroidal saponins with different chemical characteristics...
- Natural selection reinforces speciation in a radiation of neotropical rainforest plantsKathleen M Kay
Department of Plant Biology, 166 Plant Biology Building, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
Evolution 62:2628-42. 2008..We used two approaches to test for reinforcement in a species radiation of Neotropical gingers in the genus Costus. First, we conducted an intensive study of Costus pulverulentus and Costus scaber, two recently diverged species ..
- A new sesquiterpene lactone from the roots of Saussurea lappa: structure-anticancer activity studyA Robinson
Natural Products Laboratory, Division of Organic Chemistry 1, Indian Institute of Chemical Technology, Hyderabad 500 607, India
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 18:4015-7. 2008The dried roots of Saussurea lappa, called costus roots, are used in the traditional system of medicine for the treatment of cancer...
- Nitrogen fixation by phyllosphere bacteria associated with higher plants and their colonizing epiphytes of a tropical lowland rainforest of Costa RicaMichael Fürnkranz
Department of Chemical Ecology and Ecosystem Research, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
ISME J 2:561-70. 2008..N(2)-fixing bacterial communities of the plant species Carludovica drudei, Grias cauliflora and Costus laevis were investigated in more detail by analysis of the nifH gene and leaf-associated bacteria were identified ..
- Purification and characterization of furostanol glycoside 26-O-beta-glucosidase from Costus speciosus rhizomesK Inoue
Department of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Tokyo, Japan
FEBS Lett 378:157-60. 1996..F26G) involved in this conversion was purified to apparent homogeneity for the first time from Costus speciosus rhizomes which accumulate these glycosides...