Genomes and Genes
Summary: Genus of perennial plants in the family CLUSIACEAE (sometimes classified as Hypericaceae). Herbal and homeopathic preparations are used for depression, neuralgias, and a variety of other conditions. Hypericum contains flavonoids; GLYCOSIDES; mucilage, TANNINS; volatile oils (OILS, ESSENTIAL), hypericin and hyperforin.
Publications285 found, 100 shown here
- Determining hyperforin and hypericin content in eight brands of St. John's wortGerlie C de los Reyes
School of Pharmacy, University of Southern California, 1985 Zonal Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90089 9121, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 59:545-7. 2002
- Topical application of St John's wort (Hypericum perforatum L.) and of its metabolite hyperforin inhibits the allostimulatory capacity of epidermal cellsC M Schempp
Department of Dermatology, Photodermatology Unit, University Medical Center, Haupstr 7, D 79104 Freiburg, Germany
Br J Dermatol 142:979-84. 2000St John's wort (Hypericum perforatum) is a traditional herbal medicine that is used for the topical treatment of superficial wounds, burns and dermatitis...
- [Biologically active substances isolated from Hypericum attenuatum Choisy]O Iu Makovets'ka
M M Grishko National Botanical Garden, NAS of Ukraine, Kiev
Ukr Biokhim Zh 72:110-3. 2000..two reductive forms of anthraquinones and five flavonoids have been isolated from the plant source Hypericum attenuatum Choisy (Guttiferae) firstly investigated for these substances contents...
- Efficacy of St. John's wort extract WS 5570 in acute treatment of mild depression: a reanalysis of data from controlled clinical trialsS Kasper
Department of Psychiatry und Psychotherapy, Medical University of Vienna, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, Vienna, 1090, Austria
Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 258:59-63. 2008..The analysis shows that St. John's wort extract WS 5570 has a meaningful beneficial effect during acute treatment of patients suffering from mild depression and leads to a substantial increase in the probability of remission...
- St John's wort (Hypericum perforatum L.): a review of its chemistry, pharmacology and clinical propertiesJ Barnes
Centre for Pharmacognosy and Phytotherapy, School of Pharmacy, University of London
J Pharm Pharmacol 53:583-600. 2001....
- Antioxidant activity of a flavonoid-rich extract of Hypericum perforatum L. in vitroYanping Zou
State Key Laboratory of Bioreactor Engineering, Institute of Biochemistry, East China University of Science and Technology, Shanghai, 200237, China
J Agric Food Chem 52:5032-9. 2004A flavonoid-rich extract of Hypericum perforatum L. (FEHP) was prepared by adsorption on macroporous resin and desorption by ethanol. Total flavonoid content of FEHP was determined by a colorimetric method...
- Antimicrobial activity of some Hypericum speciesR Dall'agnol
Programa de Pós Graduação em Ciências Farmacêuticas, UFRGS, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Phytomedicine 10:511-6. 2003The crude methanolic extracts of six species of Hypericum [H. caprifoliatum Cham. & Schlecht., H. carinatum Griseb., H. connatum Lam., H. ternum A. St. Hil., H. myrianthum Cham. & Schlecht. and H...
- Hypericum lanceolatum (Hypericaceae) as a potential source of new anti-malarial agents: a bioassay-guided fractionation of the stem barkDenis Zofou
Biotechnology Unit, University of Buea, P O Box 63 Buea, South West Region, Cameroon
Malar J 10:167. 2011..A bioassay-guided fractionation was carried out in order to evaluate the anti-malarial potential and the safety of the methanol extract of the Hypericum lanceolatum stem bark.
- Contrasting plant physiological adaptation to climate in the native and introduced range of Hypericum perforatumJohn L Maron
Division of Biological Sciences, University of Montana, Missoula, Montana 59812, USA
Evolution 61:1912-24. 2007..We determined the extent to which native and introduced populations of St. John's Wort (Hypericum perforatum) are genetically differentiated with respect to leaf-level morphological and physiological traits ..
- Mechanism of St. John's wort extract (STW3-VI) during chronic restraint stress is mediated by the interrelationship of the immune, oxidative defense, and neuroendocrine systemO Grundmann
College of Pharmacy, Department of Pharmaceutics, University of Florida, PO Box 100494, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Neuropharmacology 58:767-73. 2010..Our data provide new evidence for the hypothesis that the mechanism of action of STW3-VI is mediated by the interrelationship between the immune, oxidative defense and neuroendocrine system...
- Evidence for the enemy release hypothesis in Hypericum perforatumMontserrat Vila
Centre de Recerca Ecològica i Aplicacions Forestals, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra, Spain
Oecologia 142:474-9. 2005..this prediction by comparing herbivore pressure on native European and introduced North American populations of Hypericum perforatum (St John's Wort)...
- Hepatoprotective effect of Hypericum japonicum extract and its fractionsNing Wang
Guangzhou Quality R and D Center of Traditional Chinese Medicine, School of Life Science, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou 510275, PR China
J Ethnopharmacol 116:1-6. 2008To investigate the hepatoprotective activity of different parts of Hypericum japonicum against carbon tetrachloride(CCl(4))-induced hepatitis and alpha-naphthyl-isothiocyanate (ANIT)-induced cholestasis.
- Association between patient beliefs regarding assigned treatment and clinical response: reanalysis of data from the Hypericum Depression Trial Study GroupJustin A Chen
Depression Clinical and Research Program, Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital MGH, Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 72:1669-76. 2011To reanalyze data from a 2002 study by the Hypericum Depression Trial Study Group to determine whether patients who believed they were receiving active therapy rather than placebo obtained greater improvement, independent of treatment.
- In vitro cytotoxicity and antitumour properties of Hypericum mysorense and Hypericum patulumP Vijayan
J S S College of Pharmacy, Rocklands, Ootacamund 643 001, Tamilnadu, India
Phytother Res 17:952-6. 2003The methanol extracts of the aerial parts of Hypericum mysorense and Hypericum patulum were tested for in vitro cytotoxicity on HEp-2, RD and Vero cell lines and antitumour activity using DLA and HEp-2 cell lines...
- Attractive and defensive functions of the ultraviolet pigments of a flower (Hypericum calycinum)M Gronquist
Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Baker Laboratory, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:13745-50. 2001The flower of Hypericum calycinum, which appears uniformly yellow to humans, bears a UV pattern, presumably visible to insects...
- p27(SJ), a novel protein in St John's Wort, that suppresses expression of HIV-1 genomeN Darbinian-Sarkissian
Department of Neuroscience, Center for Neurovirology, Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Gene Ther 13:288-95. 2006..Here, we describe the identification of a novel protein, p27(SJ), present in a laboratory callus culture of Hypericum perforatum (St John's Wort) that suppresses transcription of the HIV-1 genome in several human cell types ..
- Antifungal activity of some Brazilian Hypericum speciesR Fenner
Programa de Pós Graduação em Ciências Farmacêuticas, UFRGS, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, Porto Alegre 90610 000, Brazil
Phytomedicine 12:236-40. 2005Crude methanolic extracts and fractions from the aerial parts of seven species of Hypericum (H. caprifoliatum Cham. and Schltdl., H. carinatum Griseb., H. connatum Lam., H. ternum A. St.-Hil., H. myrianthum Cham. and Schltdl., H...
- Magnesium-deficient diet alters depression- and anxiety-related behavior in mice--influence of desipramine and Hypericum perforatum extractNicolas Singewald
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Institute of Pharmacy and CMBI, Leopold Franzens University of Innsbruck, Peter Mayr Str 1, A 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Neuropharmacology 47:1189-97. 2004..Chronic oral administration of desipramine (30 mg/kg/day), or Hypericum extract LI160 (Hyp, 380 mg/kg/day) prevented the "pro-depression-like" forced swim behavior in Mg-depleted mice...
- Metabolic drug interactions between antidepressants and anticancer drugs: focus on selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and hypericum extractFilippo Caraci
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Catania, Italy
Curr Drug Metab 12:570-7. 2011..of depression in cancer patients, such as second-generation antidepressants and, recently, the extracts of Hypericum perforatum. These agents are susceptible to metabolically-based drug interactions with anticancer drugs...
- Comparative efficacy and safety of a once-daily dosage of hypericum extract STW3-VI and citalopram in patients with moderate depression: a double-blind, randomised, multicentre, placebo-controlled studyM Gastpar
General Psychiatric Hospital, Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University of Essen, Essen, Germany
Pharmacopsychiatry 39:66-75. 2006..placebo-controlled, multicentre clinical study was to demonstrate the non-inferiority and safety of the hypericum extract STW3-VI in a once-daily dosage regime in the treatment of moderate depression...
- Herb-drug interactions with St John's wort (Hypericum perforatum): an update on clinical observationsFrancesca Borrelli
Department of Experimental Pharmacology, University of Naples Federico II, via D Montesano 49, 80131, Naples, Italy
AAPS J 11:710-27. 2009St John's wort (SJW) extracts, prepared from the aerial parts of Hypericum perforatum, contain numerous pharmacologically active ingredients, including naphthodianthrones (e.g...
- The effects of St John's wort (Hypericum perforatum) on human cytochrome P450 activityZ Wang
Division of Clinical Pharmacology, Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Clin Pharmacol Ther 70:317-26. 2001BACKGROUND: St John's wort (Hypericum perforatum) is a popular over-the-counter dietary supplement and herbal remedy that has been implicated in drug interactions with substrates of several cytochrome P450 (CYP) isozymes...
- Evidence for phosphatase activity of p27SJ and its impact on the cell cycleNune Darbinian
Department of Neuroscience, Center for Neurovirology, Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19122, USA
J Cell Biochem 107:400-7. 2009p27SJ, a novel protein isolated from St John's wort (Hypericum perforatum), belongs to an emerging family of DING proteins that are related to a prokaryotic phosphate-binding protein superfamily...
- Herbal and dietary supplements for treatment of anxiety disordersSy Atezaz Saeed
Department of Psychiatric Medicine, Brody School of Medicine, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina 27834, USA
Am Fam Physician 76:549-56. 2007..Although the evidence varies depending on the supplement and the anxiety disorder, physicians can collaborate with patients in developing dietary supplement strategies that minimize risks and maximize benefits...
- The effect of ethanol extract of Hypericum lysimachioides on lipid profile in hypercholesterolemic rabbits and its in vitro antioxidant activityFidan Hakimoğlu
University of Dicle, Faculty of Science and Art, Chemistry Department, 21280 Diyarbakir, Turkey
Atherosclerosis 192:113-22. 2007..Realizing the fact that, this study was carried out to determine the effect of ethanol extract of Hypericum lysimachioides Boiss var lysimachioides (Guttifera) on serum lipid levels and serum lipid peroxidation in ..
- Creation of a bi-directional protein transduction system for suppression of HIV-1 expression by p27SJNune Darbinian
Department of Neuroscience, Temple University School of Medicine, 1900 North 12th Street, 015 96, Room 203, Philadelphia, PA 19122, United States
Antiviral Res 79:136-41. 2008..Furthermore, our results support the utility of soluble p27SJ in suppressing transcription and replication of HIV-1 by interfering with the function of cellular proteins such as C/EBPbeta and viral activators including Tat...
- Octaketide-producing type III polyketide synthase from Hypericum perforatum is expressed in dark glands accumulating hypericinsKatja Karppinen
Department of Biology, University of Oulu, Finland
FEBS J 275:4329-42. 2008Hypericins are biologically active constituents of Hypericum perforatum (St John's wort)...
- St. John's wort (Hypericum perforatum): a review of the current pharmacological, toxicological, and clinical literatureJ M Greeson
Center for Integrative Medicine, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, PA 19107 6799, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 153:402-14. 2001St. John's wort (Hypericum perforatum) has recently gained popularity as an alternative treatment for mild to moderate depression...
- St John's wort (Hypericum perforatum) diminishes cognitive impairment caused by the chronic restraint stress in ratsEmil Trofimiuk
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Medical University of Bialystok, Waszyngtona 15A, 15 274 Bialystok, Poland
Pharmacol Res 51:239-46. 2005In this study we tested the hypothesis that St John's wort (Hypericum perforatum) may counteract stress-induced memory impairment. Object recognition test and Morris water maze were used to determine whether administration of H...
- Hyperforin a constituent of St John's wort (Hypericum perforatum L.) extract induces apoptosis by triggering activation of caspases and with hypericin synergistically exerts cytotoxicity towards human malignant cell linesKatarina Hostanska
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 56:121-32. 2003..Cytocidal effects of HP and its cooperation with HY on tumor growth inhibition in a synergistic manner make the St John's wort an interesting option in cancer warranting further in vitro and in vivo investigation...
- Phytochemical analysis of nine Hypericum L. species from Serbia and the F.Y.R. MacedoniaA Smelcerovic
Institute of Environmental Research, University of Dortmund, Germany
Pharmazie 61:251-2. 2006The methanol extracts of the aerial parts of nine Hypericum species (H. barbatum, H. hirsutum, H. linarioides, H. maculatum, H. olympicum, H. perforatum, H. richeri, H. rumeliacum and H...
- Hypericum perforatum (St John's wort) for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in children and adolescents: a randomized controlled trialWendy Weber
School of Naturopathic Medicine, Bastyr University, Kenmore, Washington, USA
JAMA 299:2633-41. 2008Stimulant medication can effectively treat 60% to 70% of youth with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Yet many parents seek alternative therapies, and Hypericum perforatum (St John's wort) is 1 of the top 3 botanicals used.
- Metal content monitoring in Hypericum perforatum pharmaceutical derivatives by atomic absorption and emission spectrometryMaría R Gomez
Universidad Nacional de San Luis, Facultad de Quimica, Bioquimica y Farmacia, Chacabuco y Pedernera, San Luis 5700, Argentina
J Pharm Biomed Anal 34:569-76. 2004..measurable amounts of Ca, Cu, K, Li, Mg, Mn, Na, Ni, and Zn were detected in phytopharmaceutical derivatives of Hypericum perforatum by atomic techniques...
- Rutin is essential for the antidepressant activity of Hypericum perforatum extracts in the forced swimming testMichael Nöldner
Department of Pharmacology and Phytochemistry, Dr Willmar Schwabe Pharmaceuticals, Karlsruhe, Germany
Planta Med 68:577-80. 2002It has been shown that aqueous alcoholic extracts of Hypericum perforatum (St. John's wort) are active in the forced swimming test (FST), an animal model for antidepressant activity...
- Comparison of hypericum extracts with imipramine and fluoxetine in animal models of depression and alcoholismJ De Vry
CNS Research, Bayer AG, Wuppertal, Germany
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 9:461-8. 1999Clinical evidence suggests that hypericum extracts (Hypericum perforatum L., St. John's wort) have antidepressive properties and may offer an interesting alternative for the treatment of mood disorders...
- Pharmacological studies in an herbal drug combination of St. John's Wort (Hypericum perforatum) and passion flower (Passiflora incarnata): in vitro and in vivo evidence of synergy between Hypericum and Passiflora in antidepressant pharmacological modelsBernd L Fiebich
Department of Psychiatry, University of Freiburg Medical School, Freiburg, Germany
Fitoterapia 82:474-80. 2011Extracts of Hypericum, Passiflora and Valeriana are used for the treatment of mild depression and anxiety. We were interested whether a combination of Hypericum and Passiflora exerts comparable effects to Hypericum alone...
- Hypericum perforatum extract in burning mouth syndrome: a randomized placebo-controlled studyAndrea Sardella
Unit of Oral Pathology and Medicine, School of Dentistry, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
J Oral Pathol Med 37:395-401. 2008..This double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled, single-center study evaluated the effects of systemic Hypericum perforatum extract in patients with BMS...
- De novo sequencing of Hypericum perforatum transcriptome to identify potential genes involved in the biosynthesis of active metabolitesMiao He
Key Laboratory of the Ministry of Education for Medicinal Resources and Natural Pharmaceutical Chemistry, National Engineering Laboratory for Resource Development of Endangered Crude Drugs in Northwest of China, College of Life Sciences, Shaanxi Normal University, Xi an, Shaanxi, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 7:e42081. 2012b>Hypericum perforatum L. (St. John's wort) is a medicinal plant with pharmacological properties that are antidepressant, anti-inflammatory, antiviral, anti-cancer, and antibacterial...
- Antiplasmodial and cytotoxic activity of phloroglucinol derivatives from Hypericum erectum ThunbHyung In Moon
Inam Neuroscience Research Center, Wonkwang University, Sanbon Medical Center, Kyunggi Do, South Korea
Phytother Res 24:941-4. 2010The chloroform extracts of whole plants of Hypericum erectum were investigated for antiplasmodial activity against chloroquine-sensitive strains of Plasmodium falciparum...
- Acylphloroglucinol, biyouyanagiol, biyouyanagin B, and related spiro-lactones from Hypericum chinenseNaonobu Tanaka
Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Tokushima, Shomachi 1 78, Tokushima 770 8505, Japan
J Nat Prod 72:1447-52. 2009..compound having a unique cyclopenta-1,3-dione moiety, was isolated from a Japanese traditional medicinal plant, Hypericum chinense, together with three new spiro-lactone-related derivatives, biyouyanagin B (2), 5,6-..
- Phytochemical analysis and genetic characterization of six Hypericum species from SerbiaAndrija Smelcerovic
Institute of Environmental Research, University of Dortmund, Otto Hahn Str 6, 44221 Dortmund, Germany
Phytochemistry 67:171-7. 2006The secondary metabolite contents and genetic profiles of six Hypericum species (H. barbatum Jacq., H. hirsutum L., H. linarioides Bosse, H. maculatum Crantz, H. rumeliacum Boiss. and H...
- An antibacterial from Hypericum acmosepalum inhibits ATP-dependent MurE ligase from Mycobacterium tuberculosisKhadijo Osman
Department of Pharmaceutical and Biological Chemistry, The School of Pharmacy, University of London, 29 39 Brunswick Square, Bloomsbury, London WC1N 1AX, UK
Int J Antimicrob Agents 39:124-9. 2012..hyperenone A and hypercalin B were isolated from the hexane and chloroform extracts of the aerial parts of Hypericum acmosepalum...
- Effects of a methanolic extract and a hyperforin-enriched CO2 extract of Hypericum perforatum on alcohol intake in ratsM Perfumi
Department of Pharmacological Sciences and Experimental Medicine, University of Camerino, 62032 Camerino (MC, Italy
Alcohol Alcohol 36:199-206. 2001b>Hypericum perforatum extracts (HPE) inhibit ethanol intake in rats. Hypericin and hyperforin have been proposed as major active principles of HPE...
- Hypericum androsaemum infusion increases tert-butyl hydroperoxide-induced mice hepatotoxicity in vivoPatrícia Valentão
Department of Pharmacognosy, University of Porto, Rua Anibal Cunha, 4050 047, Portugal
J Ethnopharmacol 94:345-51. 2004..The aim of the present study was to evaluate the putative protective effect of Hypericum androsaemum lyophilised infusion against t-BHP-induced mice hepatotoxicity in vivo, which has already been shown ..
- The first prenylation step in hyperforin biosynthesisZakia Boubakir
Institut fuer Pharmazeutische Biologie, Technische Universitaet Braunschweig, Mendelssohnstr 1, D 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Phytochemistry 66:51-7. 2005..include hyperforin which is both quantitatively and pharmacologically a major constituent of the medicinal plant Hypericum perforatum (St. John's wort)...
- St. John's wort - an overviewKlaus Linde
Centre for Complementary Medicine Research, Department for Internal Medicine II, Technical University of Munich, Germany
Forsch Komplementmed 16:146-55. 2009This article aims to summarize the current state of knowledge on St. John's wort (Hypericum perforatum L.) which is one of the oldest and best investigated medicinal herbs...
- Antidepressant activity of some Hypericum reflexum L. fil. extracts in the forced swimming test in miceC C Sánchez-Mateo
Departamento de Farmacologia, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad de La Laguna, c Astrofísico Francisco Sánchez s n, 38071 La Laguna, Tenerife, Spain
J Ethnopharmacol 112:115-21. 2007..previously reported that oral administration of the methanol extract obtained from the aerial part in blossom of Hypericum reflexum L. fil. was active in the tetrabenazine and forced swimming test...
- Quantitative analysis of the active components and the by-products of eight dry extracts of Hypericum perforatum L. (St John's Wort)S G von Eggelkraut-Gottanka
Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Auf der Morgenstelle 8, D 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Phytochem Anal 13:170-6. 2002The major components of eight different batches of commercially available dry extracts of Hypericum perforatum L. were quantified...
- Protective effects of a flavonoid-rich extract of Hypericum perforatum L. against hydrogen peroxide-induced apoptosis in PC12 cellsYan Ping Zou
Department of Cereal and Food Science, North Dakota State University, Fargo, North Dakota 58105, USA
Phytother Res 24:S6-S10. 2010b>Hypericum perforatum L. has been used traditionally as an antidepressant for the treatment of mild to moderate depression. In a previous study, a flavonoid-rich extract of Hypericum perforatum L...
- Effect of Hypericum perforatum CO2 extract on the motivational properties of ethanol in alcohol-preferring ratsMarina Perfumi
Department of Pharmacological Sciences and Experimental Medicine, University of Camerino, via Scalino 3, 62032 Camerino MC, Italy
Alcohol Alcohol 40:291-6. 2005Extracts of Hypericum perforatum (HPE) attenuate voluntary ethanol intake in different lines of alcohol-preferring rats...
- Investigations on the in vivo wound healing potential of Hypericum perforatum LIpek Peşin Süntar
Department of Pharmacognosy, Gazi University, Faculty of Pharmacy, Etiler 06330, Ankara, Turkey
J Ethnopharmacol 127:468-77. 2010Olive oil extract of the flowering aerial parts of Hypericum perforatum L. (Hypericaceae) is a popular folk remedy for the treatment of wounds in Turkey.
- Sulfonated xanthones from Hypericum sampsoniiDi Hong
Department of Chemistry, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310027, PR China
Phytochemistry 65:2595-8. 2004..sampsonii. This is the first report of sulfonated xanthonoids. Furthermore, compounds 1 and 2 exhibited significant cytotoxicity against the P388 cancer cell line...
- Hypericum perforatum CO2 extract and opioid receptor antagonists act synergistically to reduce ethanol intake in alcohol-preferring ratsMarina Perfumi
Department of Pharmacological Sciences and Experimental Medicine, University of Camerino, Camerino Macerata, Italy
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 27:1554-62. 2003b>Hypericum perforatum extracts attenuate ethanol intake in alcohol-preferring rats. The opioid receptor antagonists, naloxone and naltrexone, reduce ethanol intake in rats and humans...
- Hypericum extract LI 160 and fluoxetine in mild to moderate depression: a randomized, placebo-controlled multi-center study in outpatientsLars Bjerkenstedt
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Psychiatry Section Karolinska Hospital, 17176, Stockholm, Sweden
Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 255:40-7. 2005Efficacy and tolerability of Hypericum LI 160 was compared to fluoxetine and placebo in mild to moderate Major Depression (DSM-IV) in a 4-week randomized, double-blind trial...
- Evaluation of the wound healing potentials of two subspecies of Hypericum perforatum on cultured NIH3T3 fibroblastsMiris Dikmen
Anadolu University, Faculty of Pharmacy, Department of Pharmacology, Eskisehir, Turkey
Phytother Res 25:208-14. 2011For centuries, Hypericum perforatum has been used in folk medicine to treat wounds. In the present study, the wound healing activities of extracts of H. perforatum ssp. perforatum (HPP) and H. perforatum ssp...
- Investigation of pharmacokinetic data of hypericin, pseudohypericin, hyperforin and the flavonoids quercetin and isorhamnetin revealed from single and multiple oral dose studies with a hypericum extract containing tablet in healthy male volunteersHans Ulrich Schulz
LAFAA Laboratory for Contract Research in Clinical Pharmacology and Biopharmaceutical Analytics GmbH, Bad Schwartau, Germany
Arzneimittelforschung 55:561-8. 2005..John's wort (Hypericum perforatum)...
- Xanthones from Hypericum chinense and their cytotoxicity evaluationNaonobu Tanaka
Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Tokushima, Shomachi 1 78, Tokushima 770 8505, Japan
Phytochemistry 70:1456-61. 2009A xanthonolignoid, 2-O-demethylkielcorin, and a phenylxanthone, chinexanthone A, were isolated from stems of Hypericum chinense together with four known xanthonolignoids and seven known xanthones...
- Antimicrobial studies on three species of Hypericum from the Canary IslandsR M Rabanal
Departamento de Farmacologia, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad de La Laguna, 38071 La Laguna, Tenerife, Spain
J Ethnopharmacol 81:287-92. 2002The antimicrobial activity of several extracts and fractions of the aerial parts of Hypericum canariense, Hypericum glandulosum and Hypericum grandifolium was investigated using the disc diffusion and broth microdilution methods against ..
- Hypericum perforatum versus fluoxetine in the treatment of mild to moderate depression: a randomized double-blind trial in a Brazilian sampleRicardo Alberto Moreno
Institute of Psychiatry, Clinical Hospital, Medical School, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Rev Bras Psiquiatr 28:29-32. 2006b>Hypericum perforatum has demonstrated antidepressant efficacy when compared to placebo, but comparisons with other antidepressants remain controversial...
- Antispasmodic, bronchodilator and blood pressure lowering properties of Hypericum oblongifolium--possible mechanism of actionArif Ullah Khan
Natural Product Research Division, Department of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, The Aga Khan University Medical College, Karachi 74800, Pakistan
Phytother Res 24:1027-32. 2010The crude extract of Hypericum oblongifolium (Ho.Cr), which tested positive for flavonoids, saponins and tannins caused concentration-dependent (0.1-1...
- Efficacy and tolerability of hypericum extract STW3 in long-term treatment with a once-daily dosage in comparison with sertralineM Gastpar
General Psychiatric Hospital, Dept of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University of Essen, Germany
Pharmacopsychiatry 38:78-86. 2005The objective of this double-blind, multi-center clinical study was to demonstrate the non-inferiority of hypericum extract versus sertraline in the treatment of moderate depression.
- SNP-mediated neuroprotection under glucose deprivation is enhanced by Hypericum perforatumMaria Munoz
Departamento de Farmacologia, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets 11:162-73. 2012b>Hypericum perforatum is a medicinal herb possessing ability for protecting neurons from oxidative stress...
- Effects of Hypericum Perforatum, in a rodent model of periodontitisIrene Paterniti
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine and Pharmacology, School of Medicine, University of Messina, Italy
BMC Complement Altern Med 10:73. 2010b>Hypericum perforatum is a medicinal plant species containing many polyphenolic compounds, namely flavonoids and phenolic acids. In this study we evaluate the effect of Hypericum perforatum in animal model of periodontitis.
- A study of the antidepressant activity of Hypericum perforatum on animal modelsC Gambarana
Department of Neuroscience, University of Siena, Italy
Pharmacopsychiatry 34:S42-4. 2001The treatment of non-selected depressed patients with a hydro-alcoholic extract of Hypericum perforatum has been reported to have an efficacy similar to that of classical antidepressants. The effects of H...
- Molecular identification of Hypericum perforatum by PCR amplification of the ITS and 5.8S rDNA regionCaroline Howard
School of Allied Health Sciences, Faculty of Health and Life Sciences, De Montfort University, Leicester, UK
Planta Med 75:864-9. 2009The nuclear ribosomal internal transcribed spacer (ITS) sequences of eight Hypericum species were used to design H. perforatum-specific PCR primers by identification of short "microcode" sequences characteristic of the target species...
- Interaction between cyclosporine and Hypericum perforatum (St. John's wort) after organ transplantationC Moschella
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, New England Medical Center, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 38:1105-7. 2001The use of herbal medicine has become increasingly popular in the United States. Hypericum perforatum (St. John's wort) is an herbal extract that is used widely as a folk remedy for depression...
- Evaluation of the central properties of several Hypericum species from the Canary IslandsBegoña Prado
Departamento de Farmacologia, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad de La Laguna, c Astrofísico Francisco Sánchez s n, 38071, La Laguna, Tenerife, Espana
Phytother Res 16:740-4. 2002The infusions of the aerial parts in blossom of Hypericum canariense, H. glandulosum, H. reflexum and H...
- The cytohistological basis of apospory in Hypericum perforatum LG Galla
Department of Environmental Agronomy and Crop Science, Laboratory of Plant Genetics and Genomics, University of Padova, Legnaro, Italy
Sex Plant Reprod 24:47-61. 2011St. John's wort (Hypericum perforatum L., 2n = 4x = 32) is a medicinal plant that produces pharmaceutically important metabolites with antidepressive, anticancer and antiviral activities...
- Acaricidal properties of extracts from the aerial parts of Hypericum polyanthemum on the cattle tick Boophilus microplusVera Lucia Sardá Ribeiro
Laboratorio de Entomologia, Faculdade de Veterinaria, UFRGS, Av Bento Goncalves 9090, 91540 000 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Vet Parasitol 147:199-203. 2007..of the cattle tick Boophilus microplus to determine the toxicity of n-hexane and crude methanolic extracts of Hypericum polyanthemum (Guttiferae) using the larval immersion test (LIT) and adult immersion test (AIT)...
- Xanthone biosynthesis in Hypericum perforatum cells provides antioxidant and antimicrobial protection upon biotic stressGregory Franklin
Departamento de Biologia, Universidade do Minho, Campus de Gualtar, 4710 057 Braga, Portugal
Phytochemistry 70:60-8. 2009Xanthone production in Hypericum perforatum (HP) suspension cultures in response to elicitation by Agrobacterium tumefaciens co-cultivation has been studied. RNA blot analyses of HP cells co-cultivated with A...
- St. John's wort (Hypericum perforatum) counteracts cytokine-induced tryptophan catabolism in vitroChristiana Winkler
Institute of Medical Chemistry and Biochemistry, Innsbruck Medical University, A 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Biol Chem 385:1197-202. 2004St. John's wort (Hypericum perforatum) is an ancient folk remedy that has antiviral and antibacterial properties. Anti-inflammatory effects of the plant have been described and the application of H...
- Phenolic compounds from Hypericum perforatumGuido Jürgenliemk
Institute of Pharmaceutical Biology and Phytochemistry, Westfälische Wilhelms University of Münster, Germany
Planta Med 68:88-91. 2002During a re-investigation of phenolic compounds from the dried crude drug material of St. John's wort (Hypericum perforatum L.) 22 phenolic compounds were detected by HPLC; 14 of them were quantified using the same system...
- Biosynthesis of the hyperforin skeleton in Hypericum calycinum cell culturesPetra Klingauf
Institut fur Pharmazeutische Biologie, Technische Universitat Braunschweig, Mendelssohnstrasse 1, D 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Phytochemistry 66:139-45. 2005Hyperforin is an important antidepressant constituent of Hypericum perforatum (St. John's wort). Cell cultures of the related species H...
- Adhyperforin as a contributor to the effect of Hypericum perforatum L. in biochemical models of antidepressant activityA G Jensen
The Royal Danish School of Pharmacy, Department of Analytical and Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Copenhagen
Life Sci 68:1593-605. 2001..which demonstrate that hyperforin is not the only phloroglucinol derivative in extracts of the medicinal plant Hypericum perforatum L., which possess a biological activity...
- Duration of response after treatment of mild to moderate depression with Hypericum extract STW 3-VI, citalopram and placebo: a reanalysis of data from a controlled clinical trialA Singer
Pierrel Research Onco Immunology GmbH, Wiesbaden, Germany
Phytomedicine 18:739-42. 2011St. John's Wort (Hypericum perforatum L.) is a useful medication in the treatment of mild to moderate depression...
- Effects of Hypericum perforatum (St. John's wort) on passive avoidance in the rat: evaluation of potential neurochemical mechanisms underlying its antidepressant activityI Misane
Department of Neuroscience, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Pharmacopsychiatry 34:S89-97. 2001Along with traditional pharmacotherapies, extracts of Hypericum perforatum L. (St. John's wort) are used in the treatment of mild to moderately severe depression...
- Antinociceptive activity of Hypericum caprifoliatum and Hypericum polyanthemum (Guttiferae)A F Viana
Laboratorio de Psicofarmacologia, Departamento de Produção de Matéria Prima, Faculdade de Farmacia, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 36:631-4. 2003The aim of the present study was to assess the analgesic activity of the aerial parts of two Hypericum species native to Southern Brazil, H. caprifoliatum and H. polyanthemum. The antinociceptive effect of the H...
- [Quantitative analysis of active substances in St. John's wort (Hypericum perforatum L.) by the high performance liquid chromatography method]Saulius Kazlauskas
Kaunas University of Medicine, A Mickeviciaus 9, 44307 Kaunas, Lithuania
Medicina (Kaunas) 40:975-81. 2004..John's wort (Hypericum perforatum)...
- Hypericum perforatum L. and Chamomilla recutita (L.) Rausch.--accumulators of some toxic metalsK Král'ová
Institute of Chemistry, Comenius University, Bratislava, Slovakia
Pharmazie 58:359-60. 2003
- Genetic and biochemical analysis of Hypericum perforatum L. plants regenerated after cryopreservationMartina Urbanova
Institute of Biology and Ecology, Faculty of Science, P J Safarik University, Manesova 23, 04154 Kosice, Slovakia
Plant Cell Rep 25:140-7. 2006Shoot-tips from in vitro cultured Hypericum perforatum L. genotypes were subjected to assessments of developmental competence, genetic stability, and biosynthetic ability to identify critical points during cryopreservation...
- Effects of UV-B on secondary metabolites of St. John's Wort (Hypericum perforatum L.) grown in controlled environmentsMelissa L Brechner
Department of Biological and Environmental Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA
Photochem Photobiol 87:680-4. 2011..St. John's wort (Hypericum perforatum) is a popular herbal remedy which also exhibits marked variance in AI concentration among products...
- Serotonin syndrome and rhabdomyolysis induced by concomitant use of triptans, fluoxetine and hypericumN Bonetto
Department of Neuroscience, University of Padova Medical School, Padova, Italy
Cephalalgia 27:1421-3. 2007
- Decreased plasma levels of amitriptyline and its metabolites on comedication with an extract from St. John's wort ( Hypericum perforatum )Andreas Johne
Institute of Clinical Pharmacology, University Medical Center Charite, Humboldt University of Berlin, Berlin, Germany
J Clin Psychopharmacol 22:46-54. 2002Extracts of St. John's wort ( Hypericum perforatum ) became increasingly popular as easily available remedies for mild to moderate depression...
- Hypericum triquetrifolium Turra. Extract exhibits antiinflammatory activity in the ratBintug Ozturk
Department of Pharmaceutical Botany, Faculty of Pharmacy, Ege University, 35100 Bornova, Izmir, Turkey
J Ethnopharmacol 80:207-9. 2002The aim of the present study was to explore the probable antiinflammatory effect of Hypericum triquetrifolium Turra. in a rat model of carrageenan induced inflammation. Male Wistar rats were treated intraperitoneally with 0...
- St John's wort (Hypericum perforatum) in major depressionRichard C Shelton
Department of Psychiatry, Mood Disorders Program, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 70:23-7. 2009The herb St John's wort (Hypericum perforatum) has been used for centuries to treat a variety of medical illnesses...
- Biosynthesis of hyperforin and adhyperforin from amino acid precursors in shoot cultures of Hypericum perforatumKatja Karppinen
Department of Biology, University of Oulu, P O Box 3000, FIN 90014 Oulu, Finland
Phytochemistry 68:1038-45. 2007Hyperforin and adhyperforin contribute to the antidepressant effects of Hypericum perforatum. The involvement of branched-chain amino acids in the biosynthesis of hyperforin and adhyperforin was demonstrated in H...
- Detection of hypericins in the "red glands" of Hypericum elodes by ESI-MS/MSAnna Piovan
Department of Biology, Padua University, Via U Bassi 58 B, 35131 Padua, Italy
Phytochemistry 65:411-4. 2004..were detected by electrospray ionization mass spectrometry (ESI-MS/MS) in microsamples from the sepals of Hypericum elodes (Hypericaceae) containing the so-called "red glands", i.e...
- The antidepressant activity of Hypericum perforatum L. measured by two experimental methods on miceLidija Bach-Rojecky
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy and Biochemistry, University of Zagreb, 10 000 Zagreb, Croatia
Acta Pharm 54:157-62. 2004..b>Hypericum perforatum L. (St. John's wort) is the only natural antidepressant...
- Evaluation of the analgesic and topical anti-inflammatory effects of Hypericum reflexum L. filC C Sánchez-Mateo
Departamento de Medicina Física y Farmacología, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad de La Laguna, Tenerife, Spain
J Ethnopharmacol 107:1-6. 2006..anti-inflammatory effects of the infusion, methanol extract and fractions of the aerial part in blossom of Hypericum reflexum L. fil. in mice...
- Morphological, histochemical and phytochemical investigation of the genus Hypericum of the Central ItalyF Maggi
Department of Botany and Ecology, UNICAM, Via Pontoni 5, I 62032 Camerino, Italy
Fitoterapia 75:702-11. 2004Eight entities of the genus Hypericum that spontaneously grow on the Central Italy (Appennino Umbro-Marchigiano) have been studied under the morphological, histochemical and phytochemical aspects...
- Hypericum caprifoliatum (Guttiferae) Cham. & Schltdl.: a species native to South Brazil with antidepressant-like activityAlice F Viana
Programa de Pós Graduação em Ciências Farmacêuticas, Faculdade de Farmacia, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul Av Ipiranga, 2752 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Fundam Clin Pharmacol 20:507-14. 2006In this work, previously published and unpublished results on biological activity of Hypericum caprifoliatum, a native species to South Brazil, are presented...
- Do early changes in the HAM-D-17 anxiety/somatization factor items affect the treatment outcome among depressed outpatients? Comparison of two controlled trials of St John's wort (Hypericum perforatum) versus a SSRIStella Bitran
Department of Psychiatry, Depression Clinical and Research Program, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, USA
Int Clin Psychopharmacol 26:206-12. 2011..in Hamilton Depression Rating Scale-17 anxiety/somatization items predict remission in two controlled studies of Hypericum perforatum (St John's wort) versus selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors for major depressive disorder...
- Jasmonic acid-induced hypericin production in cell suspension cultures of Hypericum perforatum L. (St. John's wort)Travis S Walker
Department of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture, Colorado State University, Fort Collins 80523 1173, USA
Phytochemistry 60:289-93. 2002b>Hypericum perforatum L. (St. John's wort) is an herbal remedy widely used in the treatment of mild to moderate depression...
- Phenolic constituents and the in vitro antioxidant activity of the flowers of Hypericum venustumMichael Spiteller
Institute of Environmental Research, University of Dortmund, Otto Hahn Str 6, 44221 Dortmund, Germany
Fitoterapia 79:191-3. 2008The phenolic constituents and antioxidant activity of ethanol and water extract of the flowers of Hypericum venustum, collected in Turkey, were investigated...
- Antioxidant properties and protective effects of a standardized extract of Hypericum perforatum on hydrogen peroxide-induced oxidative damage in PC12 cellsJuana Benedi
Departamento de Farmacologia, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad Complutense, Plaza Ramon y Cajal sn 28040 Madrid, Spain
Life Sci 75:1263-76. 2004Free radical scavenging and antioxidant activities of a standardized extract of Hypericum perforatum (SHP) were examined for inhibition of lipid peroxidation, for hydroxyl radical scavenging activity and interaction with 1,1-diphenyl-2-..
- Drug interactions with St. John's Wort (Hypericum perforatum): a review of the clinical evidenceA A Izzo
Department of Experimental Pharmacology, University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy
Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther 42:139-48. 2004St. John's Wort (SJW, Hypericum perforatum) is effective in mild-to-moderate depression. As a monotherapy, SJW has an encouraging safety profile...
- Norlignans, acylphloroglucinols, and a dimeric xanthone from Hypericum chinenseWei Wang
School of Pharmacy, Fudan University, Shanghai, People s Republic of China
J Nat Prod 73:1815-20. 2010..the known compound aspidinol D (4), and the symmetrical dimeric xanthone hyperidixanthone (7) were isolated from Hypericum chinense. Their structures were established by spectroscopic analysis...
- Inhibitory effects of flavonoids from Hypericum perforatum on nitric oxide synthaseL Luo
Institute of Functional Biomolecules, State Key Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, Nanjing University, Nanjing 210093, PR China
J Ethnopharmacol 93:221-5. 2004The inhibitory effects of six flavonoids from Hypericum perforatum were assessed spectrophotometrically using nitric oxide synthase (NOS) in blood and cerebral homogenate of rats...
- Efficacy and tolerability of Hypericum extract for the treatment of mild to moderate depressionSiegfried Kasper
Department of General Psychiatry, Medical University of Wien, MUV, Austria
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 20:747-65. 2010..Extract of Hypericum perforatum (St. John's wort) has long been recognized as a treatment for depression...
- Effect of St. John's Wort (Hypericum perforatum) treatment on restraint stress-induced behavioral and biochemical alteration in miceAnil Kumar
Pharmacology Division, UGC Centre of Advance Study, University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Panjab University, Chandigarh 160014, India
BMC Complement Altern Med 10:18. 2010..The present study was designed to investigate the effect of St. John's Wort (Hypericum perforatum) in restraint stress-induced behavioral and biochemical alterations in mice.
- HPLC-MS analysis and anti-oedematogenic activity of Hypericum grandifolium Choisy (Hypericaceae)Celia X Bonkanka
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of La Laguna, La Laguna, Tenerife, Spain
Planta Med 74:719-25. 2008..been carried out on the chemical composition and in vivo anti-oedematogenic activity of several extracts from Hypericum grandifolium Choisy (Hypericaceae) collected in Tenerife (Canary Islands)...
- Botanical Treatments in Social Anxiety DisorderKathryn Connor; Fiscal Year: 2005..In the first study, 56 GSAD subjects will be randomly assigned to double-blind treatment with either Hypericum perforatum (HYP) or placebo (PBO), up to 1800 mg/day, for 10 weeks...
- R21 Project: St. John's Wort vs. Placebo in OCDKenneth Kobak; Fiscal Year: 2003..There has been considerable worldwide interest in St. John's Wort (SJW) (Hypericum perforatum) as a treatment from mild to moderate depression...
- St. John's wort for Drug Abuse Treatment During PregnancyC LINDSAY LINDSAY DEVANE; Fiscal Year: 2012..The results will be a test of a novel pharmacological strategy for treatment of pregnant women with opioid dependence/addiction. ..
- Botanicals and Metabolic SyndromeWilliam T Cefalu; Fiscal Year: 2013..Project 2 investigators will focus on mechanisms by which selected Artemisia sp. extracts and Hypericum perforatum L. (St. John's Wort) effect adipocyte development, adipokines, and insulin action...
- Mood Disorders Clincal Intervention Training ProgramMadhukar H Trivedi; Fiscal Year: 2013..has established track records in the study of a wide array of interventions including ECT, cognitive therapy, hypericum, antidepressant medications, exercise, and the combination of medications and psychotherapy...
- Hypericum extracts as potential anti-relapse medications in alcoholismJohn M Littleton; Fiscal Year: 2010..In this regard, the extracts of "St John's Wort", (Hypericum perforatum) that are effective treatments for clinical depression (see 2) also inhibit alcohol consumption in ..
- CENTER FOR RESEARCH ON BOTANICAL DIETARY SUPPLEMENTSDIANE FEICKERT BIRT; Fiscal Year: 2010..immune and anti-viral properties of extracts from two of the most extensively used botanicals, Echinacea and Hypericum (St. John's Wort)...
- Herb-Opioid InteractionsDanny Shen; Fiscal Year: 2003DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant):Extract of SJW; Hypericum perforatum, has gained widespread popularity as an over-the-counter, natural antidepressant. Until recently, SJW was thought to be well tolerated and relatively safe...
- Formulation Dependent Help Interactions with Chemothera*David Kroll; Fiscal Year: 2005..John's wort (SJW), Hypericum perforatum...
- CENTER FOR RESEARCH ON BOTANICAL DIETARY SUPPLEMENTSDiane Birt; Fiscal Year: 2006..We have chosen to study Echinacea and hypericum becase they are two of the most commonly used herbs by consumers in the united States; there is substantial ..
- St. John's Wort vs Placebo in Social PhobiaKenneth Kobak; Fiscal Year: 2002..There has been considerable worldwide interest in St. John's Wort (SJW) (Hypericum perforatum) as a treatment of mild to moderate depression...
- Anti-edema and neuroprotective effects of Ginkgo extract EGb761 and bilobalideJochen Klein; Fiscal Year: 2007DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Extracts of Ginkgo biloba and Hypericum perforatum (St...
- PILOT STUDY OF ST JOHNS WORT IN JUVENILE DEPRESSIONRobert Findling; Fiscal Year: 1999..The extract from the plant Hypericum perforatum is commonly referred to as St. John's Wort (SJW)...
- ANTI-HIV ACTIVITY OF BOTANICAL PREPARATIONSCYNTHIA WENNER; Fiscal Year: 2001..Botanical preparations of Hypericum perforatum and Glycyrrhiza glabra were selected based on the prevalence of use of these botanicals in the HIV ..
- COORDINATING CENTER FOR CLINICAL TRIAL OF HYPERICUMJonathan Davidson; Fiscal Year: 2000..will be to conduct a three-arm, placebo controlled, clinical efficacy study of a standardized extract of hypericum in major depression...
- Identification of Hypericum using Microscopy and DNAMATTHEW CIMINO; Fiscal Year: 2004..a practical means to identify and differentiate between small quantities of different species and types of Hypericum in various processed and partially processed forms...
- Clinical Assessment of Herb-Drug InteractionsBill Gurley; Fiscal Year: 2005..e. CYPIA2, CYP2D6 and CYP3A4); and (3) whether prolonged herb use can modulate P-gp-mediated drug absorption and elimination. ..
- SYNTHESIS OF ANTICANCER AGENTSK C Nicolaou; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Enabling Technologies for Combinatorial ChemistryK Nicolaou; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- TOTAL SYNTHESIS OF AZADIRACHTINK Nicolaou; Fiscal Year: 2008..The proposed work is expected to impact the general areas of pharmaceutical and agricultural research, and infectious diseases in particular, through discoveries in synthetic organic chemistry and chemical biology. ..
- TOTAL SYNTHESIS OF APOPTOLIDINK Nicolaou; Fiscal Year: 2004..The proposed work is expected to have significant impact in the area of cancer chemotherapy and should provide enabling technologies and tools for biology and medicine. ..
- TOTAL SYNTHESIS OF NATURAL PRODUCTSK Nicolaou; Fiscal Year: 2002..3] sigmatropic rearrangement and a radical based ring closure to form the bicyclic skeleton. ..
- Screening Herbs for Drug InteractionsJOHN MARKOWITZ; Fiscal Year: 2002..John's wort (Hypericum perforatum)...
- Ginkgo biloba for ECT-induced Memory DeficitsJOHN MARKOWITZ; Fiscal Year: 2003..will utilize larger groups and additional cognitive tests will be incorporated to provide more definitive conclusions regarding efficacy, optimal dose and duration, persistence of effects, and safety and tolerability ..
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids for Treatment of Major DepressionDavid Mischoulon; Fiscal Year: 2010..e. integrates biological findings with treatment in order to have a direct impact on the clinical practice of psychiatry. ..
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids in the Treatment of DepressionDavid Mischoulon; Fiscal Year: 2005..It is hoped that this project will provide the critical fund of basic knowledge and practical experience necessary to aid the candidate in becoming an independent investigator. ..
- Pharmacotherapy for Minor DepressionRobert Howland; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of this study will have profound public health implications by improving our understanding of the efficacy of SJW and standard antidepressants for the treatment of MinorD. ..
- P-Glycoprotein and Disposition of PsychostimulantsJOHN MARKOWITZ; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- St. John's Wort and CYP3A Metabolism in Men & WomenReginald Frye; Fiscal Year: 2003..v. and oral midazolam administration (oral midazolam followed by i.v. at 6 hr after oral dosing) and comparing this to separate day administration of i.v. and oral midazolam (Specific Aim 3). ..
- Filovirus/cellular receptor interactionsWendy Maury; Fiscal Year: 2007..Development of equivalent drugs for the filoviruses might prove to be successful in limiting new outbreaks. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ACUPUNCTURE TREATMENT OF DEPRESSION DURING PREGNANCYRachel Manber; Fiscal Year: 2006..Other important measures include the Beck Depression Inventory (weekly), expectations (of the participants and the providers), and delivery and infant measures. ..
- Effect of Cirrhosis and Shunts on Drug DispositionStephen Hall; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- VENLAFAXINE FOR HOT FLASHES FOLLOWING BREAST CANCERJANET CARPENTER; Fiscal Year: 2003..e., t-tests, linear regression, GEE, mixed model). Study findings will significantly contribute to the scientific basis of hot flash management in women following treatment for breast cancer. ..
- Signal Transduction in DepressionRichard Shelton; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies may shed light on important cellular mediators of depression and provide new targets for amelioration. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Genetic epidemiology of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)YURI SAITO LOFTUS; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- Controlled Study of SAMe vs.Escitalopram in Major Depressive DisorderMaurizio Fava; Fiscal Year: 2008..Secondary aims are to assess the acute effects of SAMe or escitalopram vs. placebo on remission rates, quality of life, and psychosocial functioning. ..
- Prediction of Drug-Drug InteractionsZeruesenay Desta; Fiscal Year: 2007..The in vitro parameter estimates will be incorporated into our physiological pharmacokinetic models to test the predictive power and build a universal platform for complex interactions between chemicals. ..
- ADAM: Androgen Deprivation vs. Antiandrogen MonotherapyMatthew Smith; Fiscal Year: 2004..In addition, this project will provide important insights into the relative contributions of testosterone and estrogen in bone metabolism, and maintenance of muscle size and strength in older men. ..
- BUPROPION AS AN ADJUNCT TO THE NICOTINE PATCH PLUS CBTMaurizio Fava; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Suppression of HIV-1 in CNS by a novel protein from ST John's WortShohreh Amini; Fiscal Year: 2010..we build on our preliminary data indicating that a novel protein, p27SJ, derived from a callus culture of Hypericum perforatum (also known as St...
- Bile Acid and Estrogen Receptors in Colon CancerSteven Kliewer; Fiscal Year: 2009..Moreover, since both FXR and ERbeta can be regulated by small molecule ligands, these studies may reveal novel opportunities for treating and preventing colon cancer. ..
- S-Adenosyl Methionine(SAMe)Augmentation of SSRIs in MDDGeorge Papakostas; Fiscal Year: 2008..It is hoped that this project award will provide the critical fund of basic knowledge and practical experience necessary to aid the candidate in becoming an independent investigator in this area. ..
- MOLECULAR NEUROBIOLOGY OF DEPRESSIONRichard Shelton; Fiscal Year: 2003..Develop further expertise in basic molecular biological methods; 2. Develop new projects oriented to future funding opportunities; and 3. Continue to mentor the next generation of investigators. ..
- MOLECULAR MECHANISMS OF 5-HT RECEPTOR ACTIONSBryan Roth; Fiscal Year: 2005..A full molecular pharmacologic characterization of these compounds is essential prior to their use in humans. ..
- Computerized Assessment of Cancer SymptomsJANET CARPENTER; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- REGULATION OF CYTOKINES BY HIV1 TAT IN CENTRAL NERVOUS SShohreh Amini; Fiscal Year: 2004..These studies will provide information concerning the mechanism of CNS cellular gene activation by Tat, and may serve as an initial step toward the development of targeted therapeutic compounds against HIV-1 Tat in the CNS. ..
- TREATMENT OF EARLY ONSET SCHIZOPHRENIA SPECTRUM (TEOSS)Robert Findling; Fiscal Year: 2005..This study will provide information about the comparative effectiveness of the most commonly used and representative antipsychotic drugs in youth with schizophrenia spectrum disorders. ..
- Antidepressant & CBT for Insomnia to Depression OutcomeRachel Manber; Fiscal Year: 2006..The findings from the proposed pilot study will inform the design of a subsequent full-scale randomized controlled trial. ..
- Controlled Trial of an Herbal Therapy for ADHDWendy Weber; Fiscal Year: 2006..Weber will conduct an eight-week double blind placebo controlled clinical trial of Hypericum perforatum (St. John's Wort) for the treatment of depression in children and adolescents aged 6 to 17...
- St. John's Wort Effects on LevonorgestrelPatricia Murphy; Fiscal Year: 2006..John's Wort (Hypericum perforatum), on metabolism of levonorgestrel in a dosing regimen for emergency contraception...
- Regulation of Gliosis by Purinergic Receptor SignalingW Dalton Dietrich; Fiscal Year: 2006..Thus, important advances in the understanding of the mechanisms underlying gliosis may provide new approaches to restore deficits in motor skills and cognitive functions caused by brain injury. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Identification of Hypericum using Microscopy and DNAMATTHEW CIMINO; Fiscal Year: 2006unreadable] DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): [unreadable] Hypericum or St. John's Wort is a widely used herbal...
- Effects of Hypericum Perforatum on Oral ContraceptivesPatricia Murphy; Fiscal Year: 2002This study will evaluate the effects of chronic use of a common herbal remedy, St. John's Wort (Hypericum perforatum) on metabolism of contraceptive steroids and ovarian suppression during oral contraceptive use. St...
- Dietary Supplements and Lung & Colorectal Cancer RiskJessie Satia; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Diet, Colon Cancer, and Cancer CommunicationsJessie Satia; Fiscal Year: 2005..Obtaining this award will greatly broaden and strengthen the candidate's focus on cancer prevention and control. ..
- Integrating Aging and Cancer ResearchRobert Wallace; Fiscal Year: 2007..Remaining activities include program administration, including ongoing planning and evaluation activities, and provision of variously sized pilot grants to promote research in the areas selected for development. ..
- Antioxidant nutrients and Oxidative DNA Damage in Afric*Jessie Satia; Fiscal Year: 2005..In addition, this work would potentially provide investigators with a validated instrument for assessing antioxidant nutrient exposure in population-based studies in the U.S. ..