Summary: A plant species of the family CLUSIACEAE. The common name of 'Bitter Kola' is sometimes also used to refer to COLA.
- Antibacterial effect of Zingiber officinale and Garcinia kola on respiratory tract pathogensJ F T K Akoachere
Department of Life Sciences, Faculty of Science, University of Buea, PO Box 63, Cameroon
East Afr Med J 79:588-92. 2002To investigate the antibacterial activity of Zingiber officinale (ginger) Garcinia kola (bitter kola) on four respiratory tract pathogens.
- Effect of kolaviron, a biflavonoid complex from Garcinia kola seeds, on ethanol-induced oxidative stress in liver of adult wistar ratsO A Adaramoye
Department of Biochemistry, University of Ibadan, Nigeria
J Med Food 12:584-90. 2009..Kolaviron (KV), a biflavonoid complex from Garcinia kola seeds, possesses a variety of biological activities, including antioxidant...
- Biocidal activity of partially purified fractions from methanolic extract of Garcinia kola (Heckel) seeds on bacterial isolatesD A Akinpelu
Applied and Environmental Microbiology Research Group, Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology, University of Fort Hare, Alice, South Africa
Biol Res 41:277-87. 2008The in vitro antibacterial activity of crude methanolic extract of the seeds of Garcinia kola was investigated. The extracts exhibited antibacterial activities with zones of inhibition ranging from 10 mm to 25 mm...
- Toxicity and mutagenic activity of some selected Nigerian plantsA A Sowemimo
Department of Pharmacognosy, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, Nigeria
J Ethnopharmacol 113:427-32. 2007..Morinda lucida root bark, Nymphaea lotus whole plant and Garcinia kola root were active in the three test systems...
- Amino acid composition of two masticatory nuts (Cola acuminata and Garcinia kola) and a snack nut (Anacardium occidentale)E I Adeyeye
Chemistry Department, University of Ado Ekiti, PMB 5363, Ado Ekiti, Nigeria
Int J Food Sci Nutr 58:241-9. 2007The amino acid compositions of Cola acuminata, Garcinia kola and Anacardium occidentale were evaluated by ion-exchange chromatography. Glutamic acid was the most concentrated acid in the samples. In all the amino acids determined, A...
- Attenuation of indomethacin- and HCl/ethanol-induced oxidative gastric mucosa damage in rats by kolaviron, a natural biflavonoid of Garcinia kola seedS B Olaleye
Department of Physiology, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Nigeria
Phytother Res 20:14-20. 2006..This study investigated the protective effects of kolaviron, a natural antioxidant from the seed of Garcinia kola, on oxidative gastric mucosal damage induced by HCl/ethanol, and indomethacin.A HCl/ethanol mixture (1...
- Preparative isolation and identification of tyrosinase inhibitors from the seeds of Garcinia kola by high-speed counter-current chromatographyChristopher Okunji
Biotech Center, Cook College, Rutgers University, 59 Dudley Road, New Brunswick, NJ 08901 8520, USA
J Chromatogr A 1151:45-50. 2007..14.18.1), the rate-limiting enzyme in melanin synthesis. Four extracts including the methanol extract of Garcinia kola seeds at 100 microg/ml displayed >60% inhibition of tyrosinase activity...
- Complete NMR assignments of the antibacterial biflavonoid GB1 from Garcinia kolaQuan Bin Han
Chinese Medicine Laboratory, Hong Kong Jockey Club Institute of Chinese Medicine, Hong Kong, PR China
Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 53:1034-6. 2005From the antibacterial fraction of the roots of Garcinia kola, 3'',4',4''',5,5'',7,7''-heptahydroxy-3,8''-biflavanone (GB1) was isolated as the major constituent, whose interesting conformations were studied on the basis of its 1D and 2D ..
- Some physical properties of tabletted seed of Garcinia kola (HECKEL)G C Onunkwo
Department of Pharmaceutical Technology and Industrial Pharmacy, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Nigeria
Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 52:649-53. 2004The formulation of Garcinia kola seeds into tablet dosage form and evaluation of some physical properties of the tablets are presented...
- In vivo evaluation of interaction between aqueous seed extract of Garcinia kola Heckel and ciprofloxacin hydrochlorideCharles O Esimone
Department of Pharmaceutics, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Enugu State, Nigeria
Am J Ther 9:275-80. 2002The effect of Garcinia kola seed extract (100 mg/kg) on the pharmacokinetic and antibacterial effects of ciprofloxacin hydrochloride (40 mg/kg) was studied...
- Antispasmodic and spasmolytic effects of methanolic extract from seeds of Garcinia kola on isolated rat small intestineP M Udia
Department of Pharmacology, College of Medical Sciences, University of Calabar, Calabar, Nigeria
Niger J Physiol Sci 24:111-6. 2009The antispasmodic and spasmolytic effects of methanolic extract of seeds of Garcinia kola Heckel were studied on smooth muscle preparations in vitro...
- Alpha-glucosidase inhibitory, aromatase inhibitory, and antiplasmodial activities of a biflavonoid GB1 from Garcinia kola stem barkBassey S Antia
Chulabhorn Research Institute, Vibhavadi Rangsit Highway, Bangkok, Thailand
Planta Med 76:276-7. 2010..known as GB1 (1), was isolated as a major constituent from Garcinia kola stem bark...
- Antimicrobial effects of three tropical plant extracts on Staphylococcus aureus, Escherichia coli and Candida albicansR N Okigbo
Department of Botany, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, Anambra State, Nigeria
Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med 5:226-9. 2008..extracts of Cymbopogon citatrus (lemongrass) and Vernonia amygdalina (bitter leaf) and the seed extracts of Garcinia kola (bitter kola) were carried out. G...
- Protective effect of garcinia kola (kolaviron) extract on predisposition of rats to cardiovascular diseases following separate administration of amodiaquine and artesunateEo Ajani
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences, Olabisi Onabanjo University, Remo Campus, Ikenne
Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med 5:180-6. 2008..cardiovascular effect of administration of antimalarial drugs amodiaquine and artesunate and the efficacy of Garcinia kola extract (kolaviron) in protecting against such possible effect...
- Effect of gavage treatment with pulverised Garcinia kola seeds on erythrocyte membrane integrity and selected haematological indices in male albino Wistar ratsA A Ahumibe
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Calabar, Calabar Nigeria
Niger J Physiol Sci 24:47-52. 2009This study examines the effect of the whole seed of Garcinia kola [GKS] on various blood parameters, in adult male albino rats...
- Protective effect of kolaviron, a biflavonoid from Garcinia kola seeds, in brain of Wistar albino rats exposed to gamma-radiationOluwatosin Adekunle Adaramoye
Drug Metabolism and Toxicology Research Laboratories, Department of Biochemistry, College of Medicine, Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Ibadan, Ibadan 20005, Nigeria
Biol Pharm Bull 33:260-6. 2010This study was designed to evaluate the protective effect of kolaviron (KV), a biflavonoid from Garcinia kola seeds, against gamma-radiation (5 Gy)-induced oxidative stress in brain of Wistar rats...
- The in-vitro antimicrobial activity of some medicinal plants against beta-lactam-resistant bacteriaJoseph Gangoue-Pieboji
Centre for Research on Medicinal Plants and Traditional Medicine, Institute of Medical Research and Medicinal Plant Studies, Yaounde, Cameroon
J Infect Dev Ctries 3:671-80. 2009..In effort to identify novel bacterial agents, this study was initiated to evaluate the antimicrobial properties of 17 crude extracts from 12 medicinal plants against beta-lactam-resistant bacteria...
- Effect of dietary Garcinia kola seed on selected serum electrolytes and trace metals in male Albino ratsP O Agada
Department of Pharmacology, College of Medical Sciences University of Calabar, Calabar, Nigeria
Niger J Physiol Sci 24:53-7. 2009The effects of various doses of dietary intake of Garcinia kola seed powder [incorporated in animal feed at levels of 5% w/w, 10% w/w and 20% w/w and fed daily for six weeks] on serum levels of selected electrolytes [K+, Na+, CI-, HCO3-, ..
- Comparative effects of vitamin E and kolaviron (a biflavonoid from Garcinia kola) on carbon tetrachloride-induced renal oxidative damage in miceO A Adaramoye
Drug Metabolism and Toxicology Research Laboratories, Department of Biochemistry, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
Pak J Biol Sci 12:1146-51. 2009..E) and kolaviron (KV), a biflavonoid complex from the seeds of Garcinia kola are well documented...
- Efficacy of Garcinia kola 0.5% Aqueous Eye Drops in Patients with Primary Open-Angle Glaucoma or Ocular HypertensionAdebukunola O Adefule-Ositelu
Department of Ophthalmology, Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Idi Araba, Lagos
Middle East Afr J Ophthalmol 17:88-93. 2010To evaluate the intraocular pressure (IOP) lowering efficacy of Garcinia kola 0.5% aqueous solution eye drops in patients with newly diagnosed primary open-angle glaucoma or ocular hypertension (POAG/OH).
- Proapoptotic effects of long-chain vitamin E metabolites in HepG2 cells are mediated by oxidative stressMarc Birringer
Department of Human Nutrition, Institute of Nutrition, Friedrich Schiller University of Jena, Jena, Germany
Free Radic Biol Med 49:1315-22. 2010..were synthesized from garcinoic acid, a δ-tocotrienol derivative extracted from the African bitter nut Garcinia kola. Both α- and δ-13'-carboxychromanol induced cell death in HepG2 cells at EC(50) of 13.5 and 6...
- Aqueous and Organic Solvent-Extracts of Selected South African Medicinal Plants Possess Antimicrobial Activity against Drug-Resistant Strains of Helicobacter pylori: Inhibitory and Bactericidal PotentialCollise Njume
School of Biological and Environmental Sciences, Faculty of Science and Agriculture, University of Fort Hare, P Bag X1314, Alice 5700, South Africa E Mails C N A A J
Int J Mol Sci 12:5652-65. 2011..Solvent-extracts of selected medicinal plants; Combretum molle, Sclerocarya birrea, Garcinia kola, Alepidea amatymbica and a single Strychnos species were investigated against 30 clinical strains of H...
- Anticariogenic potentials of clove, tobacco and bitter kolaDibua Esther Uju
Department of Microbiology, University of Nigeria, Nsukka 410001, Enugu State, Nigeria
Asian Pac J Trop Med 4:814-8. 2011..aromaticum)], bitter kola fruits [Garcinia kola (G. kola)] and tobacco leaves (Nicotiana species) as potential targeted killers of Streptococcus mutans (S...
- Detection of a gentamicin-resistant burn wound strain of pseudomonas aeruginosa but sensitive to honey and garcinia kola (heckel) seed extractO E Adeleke
Department of Pharmaceutical Microbiology, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
Ann Burns Fire Disasters 23:102-5. 2010..Both the methanolic extract concentrate of Garcinia kola (Heckel) seeds and natural honey have been associated with activity on bacterial isolates from respiratory ..
- Antioxidative and chemopreventive properties of Vernonia amygdalina and Garcinia biflavonoidEbenezer O Farombi
Drug Metabolism and Toxicology Research Laboratories, Department of Biochemistry, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
Int J Environ Res Public Health 8:2533-55. 2011..These compounds elicit various biological effects including cancer chemoprevention. Garcinia kola (Guttiferae) seed, known as "bitter kola", plays an important role in African ethnomedicine and ..
- Kolaviron protects apoptotic cell death in PC12 cells exposed to atrazineSunny O Abarikwu
Department of Chemical Sciences, College of Natural Sciences, Redeemer s University, Redemption City, Ogun State, Nigeria
Free Radic Res 45:1061-73. 2011Kolaviron (KV), a natural biflavonoid obtained from the seeds of Garcinia kola, has been documented for its wide pharmacological window, including anti-apoptotic activities...
- Anti-ulcerogenic and proton pump (H+, K+ ATPase) inhibitory activity of Kolaviron from Garcinia kola Heckel in rodentsSamuel A Onasanwo
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
Indian J Exp Biol 49:461-8. 2011Anti-ulcer potential and proton pump inhibitory activity of kolaviron (KV) isolated from Garcinia kola Heckel has been evaluated using different ulcer models...
- Crude ethanolic extracts of Garcinia kola seeds Heckel (Guttiferae) prolong the lag phase of Helicobacter pylori: inhibitory and bactericidal potentialCollise Njume
School of Biological and Environmental Sciences, Faculty of Science and Agriculture, University of Fort Hare, Alice, South Africa
J Med Food 14:822-7. 2011..to identify potential sources of such compounds, the antimicrobial activity of five solvent extracts of Garcinia kola seeds were investigated against 30 clinical strains of H...
- Comparative study on the efficacy of Garcinia kola in reducing some heavy metal accumulation in liver of Wistar ratsC R Nwokocha
Department of Basic Medical Sciences, University of the West Indies, Mona Campus, Kingston 7, Jamaica
J Ethnopharmacol 135:488-91. 2011b>Garcinia kola is regarded as an antidote and anti-hepatotoxic agent. We examined its protection ability against mercury (Hg), lead (Pb) and cadmium (Cd) accumulation in the liver...
- In-vitro antagonistic characteristics of crude aqueous and methanolic extracts of Garcinia kola (Heckel) seeds against some Vibrio bacteriaDambudzo Penduka
Applied and Environmental Microbiology Research Group AEMREG, Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology, University of Fort Hare, Alice, South Africa
Molecules 16:2754-65. 2011The methanolic and aqueous extracts of Garcinia kola seeds were screened for their anti-Vibrio activities against 50 Vibrio isolates obtained from wastewater final effluents in the Eastern Cape Province, South Africa...
- Traditional management of tuberculosis in Ogun State of Nigeria: the practice and ethnobotanical surveyOmonike O Ogbole
Department of Pharmacognosy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Olabisi Onabanjo University, Sagamu, Nigeria
Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med 7:79-84. 2010..Cola acumminata (fruit), Garcinia kola (leaf), Vitallaria parodoxa (oil), Costus afer (stem), Pycnanthus angolensis (stem bark) and Aframomum ..
- In vitro antioxidant and free radical scavenging activities of Garcinia kola seedsTebekeme Okoko
Biochemistry Division, Department of Chemical Sciences, Niger Delta University, Wilberforce Island, Bayelsa State, Nigeria
Food Chem Toxicol 47:2620-3. 2009b>Garcinia kola Heckel--a tropical plant which grows in moist forest, has found wide applications in traditional medicine especially in the West and Central African sub-region...
- Susceptibility of cariogenic Streptococcus mutans to extracts of Garcinia kola, Hibiscus sabdariffa, and Solanum americanumO C Afolabi
School of Dentistry, College of Medicine, University of Lagos, Nigeria
West Afr J Med 27:230-3. 2008..Avariety of plants with potent activity are known to be used in indigenous communities for dental hygiene worldwide...
- Hepatoprotection of D-galactosamine-induced toxicity in mice by purified fractions from Garcinia kola seedsOluwatosin A Adaramoye
Drug Metabolism and Toxicology Unit, Department of Biochemistry, University of Ibadan, Nigeria
Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 98:135-41. 2006The hepatoprotective effect of a biflavonoid complex, kolaviron, and its fractions from Garcinia kola seeds, together with the possible mechanisms involved was investigated in mice intoxicated with a single dose of D-galactosamine (GalNH(..
- Hypoglycaemic and hypolipidaemic effects of fractions from kolaviron, a biflavonoid complex from Garcinia Kola in streptozotocin-induced diabetes mellitus ratsO A Adaramoye
Drug Metabolism and Toxicology Unit, Department of Biochemistry, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Nigeria
J Pharm Pharmacol 58:121-8. 2006..as alternatives to synthetic ones that are expensive and not easily accessible, and to justify the use of Garcinia kola seeds in traditional African medicine to treat diabetes, the hypoglycaemic and hypolipidaemic effects of ..
- Anti-oxidant mechanisms of kolaviron: studies on serum lipoprotein oxidation, metal chelation and oxidative membrane damage in ratsE O Farombi
Drug Metabolism and Toxicology Research Laboratories, Department of Biochemistry, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Nigeria
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 32:667-74. 20051. In the present study, we have examined the ability of kolaviron, a natural biflavonoid from Garcinia kola seeds, to prevent the susceptibility of rat serum lipoprotein to undergo oxidative modification in vitro and ex vivo...
- Chemoprevention of aflatoxin B1-induced genotoxicity and hepatic oxidative damage in rats by kolaviron, a natural bioflavonoid of Garcinia kola seedsE O Farombi
Drug Metabolism and Toxicology Unit, Department of Biochemistry, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Nigeria
Eur J Cancer Prev 14:207-14. 2005The chemopreventive effects of kolaviron, a natural antioxidant bioflavonoid from the seeds of Garcinia kola, on aflatoxin B1 (AFB1)-induced genotoxicity and hepatic oxidative damage was investigated in rats...
- Possible anti-atherogenic effect of kolaviron (a Garcinia kola seed extract) in hypercholesterolaemic ratsO A Adaramoye
Drug Metabolism and Toxicology Unit, Department of Biochemistry, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 32:40-6. 2005..This reduction and the favourable lipid profile indicate a possible anti-atherogenic property of the extract...
- Ex-vivo and in vitro protective effects of kolaviron against oxygen-derived radical-induced DNA damage and oxidative stress in human lymphocytes and rat liver cellsE Olatunde Farombi
Institute of Food Safety and Nutrition, Division of Biochemical and Molecular Toxicology, 2860 Søborg, Denmark
Cell Biol Toxicol 20:71-82. 2004The present study reports the protective effects of kolaviron, a Garcinia biflavonoid from the seeds of Garcinia kola widely consumed in some West African countries against oxidative damage to molecular targets ex-vivo and in vitro...
- Kolaviron modulates cellular redox status and impairment of membrane protein activities induced by potassium bromate (KBrO(3)) in ratsE Olaunde Farombi
Drug Metabolism and Toxicology Research Laboratories, Department of Biochemistry, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
Pharmacol Res 45:63-8. 2002In this study, we examined the modulatory effects of kolaviron, a biflavonoid from Garcinia kola seeds on the antioxidant defense mechanisms, cellular redox status and oxidative stress in the kidney and liver of rats pretreated with ..
- Post-harvest fungal quality of selected chewing sticksE Etebu
Department of Biological Sciences, Plant Pathology Unit, Rivers State University of Science and Technology, Rivers State, Port Harcourt, Nigeria
Oral Dis 9:95-8. 2003..To study post-harvest fungal overgrowth on chewing sticks used for oral hygiene measures and role of disinfection...
- Capillary electrophoresis determination of biflavanones from Garcinia kola in three traditional African medicinal formulationsChris O Okunji
International Centre for Ethnomedicine and Drug Development, Nsukka Nigeria
Planta Med 68:440-4. 2002..active biflavanones present in three different traditional African medicinal preparations from the seeds of Garcinia kola was developed...
- Protection against 2- acetyl aminofluorene-induced toxicity in mice by garlic (Allium sativum), bitter kola (Garcina kola seed) and honeyO A Odunola
Cancer Research and Molecular Biology Laboratories, Department of Biochemistry, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
Afr J Med Med Sci 34:167-72. 2005..These findings suggest that honey, garlic and bitter kola protect against 2-AAF-induced gamma-GTactivity and micronuleated PCEs formation...
- Curcumin and kolaviron ameliorate di-n-butylphthalate-induced testicular damage in ratsEbenezer Olatunde Farombi
Drug Metabolism and Toxicology Research Laboratories, Department of Biochemistry College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 100:43-8. 2007..study was carried out to evaluate the ameliorative effects of kolaviron (a biflavonoid from the seeds of Garcinia kola) and curcumin (from the rhizome, Curcuma longa L...
- Endothelium-independent vasodilation induced by kolaviron, a biflavonoid complex from Garcinia kola seeds, in rat superior mesenteric arteriesOluwatosin A Adaramoye
Laboratorio de Tecnologia Farmaceutica, Universidade Federal da Paraiba, Joao Pessoa, Paraiba, Brazil
J Smooth Muscle Res 45:39-53. 2009..gastroprotective, hypolipidemic and hypoglycemic effects of kolaviron (KV), a biflavonoid complex from Garcinia kola seeds...
- Stability of cough linctus (streptol) formulated from named medicinal plant extractsMaurice Iwu
International Centre for Ethno Medicine and Drug Discovery InterCEDD, Nsukka, Enugu State Nigeria
Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 57:229-32. 2009Extracts of named medicinal herbs (Garcinia kola, Zingiber oificinale, Aframonum melequeta and Ocimum viride) were formulated into an antitussive preparation to alleviate cough...
- Kolaviron inhibits dimethyl nitrosamine-induced liver injury by suppressing COX-2 and iNOS expression via NF-kappaB and AP-1Ebenezer O Farombi
Research Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, Seoul National University, Seoul 151 742, South Korea
Life Sci 84:149-55. 2009Kolaviron, a bioflavonoid isolated from the seeds of Garcinia kola has been reported to possess anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antigenotoxic and hepatoprotective activities in model systems via multiple biochemical mechanisms...
- Pupillary changes among Nigerian adults following the instillation of Garcinia kola nut extracts: multicentric studiesA O Adefule-Ositelu
Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Logos
Niger Postgrad Med J 15:152-6. 2008..A multi-centre, open, within-patient controlled study was performed on 106 adult volunteers to investigate the effects of Garcinia kolanut extracts on the pupillary sizes...
- Hepatoprotective activity of purified fractions from Garcinia kola seeds in mice intoxicated with carbon tetrachlorideO A Adaramoye
Department of Biochemistry, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
J Med Food 11:544-50. 2008The hepatoprotective activity of kolaviron (KV), a biflavonoid complex from Garcinia kola seeds, and its purified fractions was investigated in mice intoxicated with carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4))...
- Configuration of the vitamin E analogue garcinoic acid extracted from Garcinia Kola seedsFrancesco Mazzini
Dipartimento di Chimica e Chimica Industriale, Universita di Pisa, Pisa 56126, Italy
Chirality 21:519-24. 2009..Garcinoic acid (trans-13'-carboxy-delta-tocotrienol) is a vitamin E analog extracted from Garcinia Kola seeds in which the carboxylic group is at the end of the aliphatic side chain and reported to be a racemate ..
- Immunomodulatory activities of kolaviron, a mixture of three related biflavonoids of Garcinia kola HeckelC S Nworu
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Enugu State, Nigeria
Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol 30:317-32. 2008The immunomodulatory properties of kolaviron (KV), a mixture of three related biflavonoids of Garcinia kola Heckel (Clusiaceae), were investigated...
- Powerful antioxidative agents based on garcinoic acid from Garcinia kolaKenji Terashima
Faculty of Pharmacy, Meijo University, Tempaku, 468 8503, Nagoya, Japan
Bioorg Med Chem 10:1619-25. 2002Investigation on the structure--antioxidative activity relationships of derivatives based on garcinoic acid from Garcinia kola (Guttiferae) led to discovery of a powerful antioxidative agent.