Summary: A plant genus of the family POACEAE. Young shoots are eaten in Asian foods while the stiff mature stems are used for construction of many things. The common name of bamboo is also used for other genera of Poaceae including Phyllostachys, SASA, and Dendrocalamus.
Publications126 found, 100 shown here
- [Studies on chemical constituents from Phyllostachys pubescens]Hongyu Li
Academy of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Zhejiang Province, Hangzhou 310007
Zhong Yao Cai 26:562-3. 2003..To study the chemical constituents from Phyllostachys pubescens...
- Antiinflammatory and antiulcer activities of Bambusa arundinaceaM Muniappan
Department of Pharmacology, Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute Deemed University, Porur, Chennai 600116, India
J Ethnopharmacol 88:161-7. 2003The extracts of Bambusa arundinacea have been used in Indian folk medicine to treat various inflammatory conditions. The plant has got antiulcer activity also...
- Phylogenetic analysis of Bambusa (Poaceae: Bambusoideae) based on internal transcribed spacer sequences of nuclear ribosomal DNAYe Sun
South China Botanical Garden, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Guangzhou, Guangdong, 510650, PR China
Biochem Genet 43:603-12. 2005Phylogenetic analyses of Bambusa species were performed using internal transcribed spacer sequences of nuclear ribosomal DNA...
- Molecular characterization and expression of four cDNAs encoding sucrose synthase from green bamboo Bambusa oldhamiiWen Bin Chiu
Institute of Microbiology and Biochemistry, National Taiwan University, No 1, Sec 4, Roosevelt Road, Taipei 106, Taiwan
New Phytol 170:53-63. 2006..To investigate sucrose metabolism in this plant, we cloned the cDNAs encoding sucrose synthase (SuS) from Bambusa oldhamii and investigated their expression in growing shoots and leaves...
- Abortifacient potentials of the aqueous extract of Bambusa vulgaris leaves in pregnant Dutch rabbitsMusa T Yakubu
Department of Biochemistry, University of Ilorin, Ilorin, Nigeria
Contraception 80:308-13. 2009There is the claim in the folklore medicine of Nigeria of the use of Bambusa vulgaris leaves as an abortifacient. However, there has not been any scientific evidence in the literature that substantiated or refuted this claim.
- Identification of genes involved in bamboo fiber developmentVineeta Rai
Institute of Life Sciences, Laboratory of Plant Biotechnology, Department of Gene Function and Regulation, Bhubaneswar Orissa, India
Gene 478:19-27. 2011..The present study was undertaken to generate information about fiber development process in bamboo (Bambusa balcooa) using PCR-based suppressive subtractive hybridization (PCR-SSH) technique, as molecular mechanism of its ..
- Generation and analysis of expressed sequence tags from a normalized cDNA library of young leaf from Ma bamboo (Dendrocalamus latiflorus Munro)Z M Gao
International Center for Bamboo and Rattan, State Forestry Administration Key Open Laboratory on Bamboo and Rattan Science and Technology, Beijing, 100102, People s Republic of China
Plant Cell Rep 30:2045-57. 2011..These results will provide genome-wide knowledge about the molecular physiology of Ma bamboo young leaves and tools for advanced studies of molecular mechanism underlying leaf growth and development...
- Bamboo extract reduces interleukin 6 (IL-6) overproduction under lipotoxic conditions through inhibiting the activation of NF-κB and AP-1 pathwaysJason K Higa
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 651 Ilalo Street BSB 222, Honolulu, HI 96813, USA
Cytokine 55:18-23. 2011....
- Understanding bamboo flowering based on large-scale analysis of expressed sequence tagsX C Lin
Key Lab for Modern Silvicultural Technology of Zhejiang Province, Zhejiang Forestry University, Zhejiang, China
Genet Mol Res 9:1085-93. 2010..sequence tags in the flower bud and vegetative shoot cDNA libraries, respectively, of the bamboo species, Bambusa oldhamii...
- Protective effects of the pyrolyzates derived from bamboo against neuronal damage and hematoaggregationEui Ju Hong
Department of Veterinary Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Chungbuk National University, Cheongju, Chungbuk 361 763, Republic of Korea
J Ethnopharmacol 128:594-9. 2010..Although the extracts from bamboo may have antioxidant activities and anti-inflammatory effects, their exact biological activities have not been elucidated...
- Identification and characterization of two bamboo (Phyllostachys praecox) AP1/SQUA-like MADS-box genes during floral transitionEr Pei Lin
State Key Laboratory of Plant Physiology and Biochemistry, Key Laboratory for Cell and Gene Engineering of Zhejiang Province, College of Life Sciences, Zhejiang University, 310058, Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China
Planta 231:109-20. 2009..Taken together, our results suggest that both PpMADS1 and PpMADS2 are involved in floral transition, and PpMADS2 might play more important roles than PpMADS1 in floral development of Phyllostachys praecox...
- Cloning, expression, site-directed mutagenesis and immunolocalization of phenylalanine ammonia-lyase in Bambusa oldhamiiLu Sheng Hsieh
Institute of Microbiology and Biochemistry, National Taiwan University, 1 Sec 4, Roosevelt Road, Taipei, Taiwan
Phytochemistry 71:1999-2009. 2010Phenylalanine ammonia-lyase (PAL, EC 126.96.36.199) from green bamboo was isolated and cloned from the shell of Bambusa oldhamii...
- A novel function of bamboo extract in relieving lipotoxicityJun Panee
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 651 Ilalo Street BSB 222, Honolulu, HI 96813, USA
Phytother Res 22:675-80. 2008..This study demonstrated a novel function of bamboo extract in preventing lipotoxicity in mammalian cells, implicating a promising phytotherapeutic approach for lipo-detoxification...
- Identification of programmed cell death related genes in bambooVineeta Rai
Institute of Life Sciences, Laboratory of Plant Biotechnology, Bhubaneswar, India
Gene 497:243-8. 2012..To identify genes involved in autolytic cell death in bamboo (Bambusa arundinacea/Bambusa bambos Voss), a suppressive subtractive cDNA hybridization (SSH) was performed between cDNA ..
- Cloning and characterization of an antifungal class III chitinase from suspension-cultured bamboo ( Bambusa oldhamii ) cellsChao Jen Kuo
Institute of Microbiology and Biochemistry, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
J Agric Food Chem 56:11507-14. 2008A class III chitinase cDNA (BoChi3-1) was cloned using a cDNA library from suspension-cultured bamboo ( Bambusa oldhamii ) cells and then transformed into yeast ( Pichia pastoris X-33) for expression...
- The compound isolated from the leaves of Phyllostachys nigra protects oxidative stress-induced retinal ganglion cells deathHee Ju Lee
Natural Products Research Center, Korea Institute of Science and Technology KIST Gangneung Institute, Daejeon dong, Gangneung, Republic of Korea
Food Chem Toxicol 48:1721-7. 2010..This compound also replenished the reduced glutathione level. In conclusion, these results implicate that compound 6 isolated from P. nigra could be used as a leading compounds for retinal disease via anti-oxidative effects...
- Phytotoxic effects of (+/-)-catechin in vitro, in soil, and in the field- Inderjit
Centre for Environmental Management of Degraded Ecosystems, University of Delhi, Delhi, India
PLoS ONE 3:e2536. 2008....
- Mitochondrial energy metabolism in young bamboo rhizomes from Bambusa oldhamii and Phyllostachys edulis during shooting stageLee Feng Chien
Department of Life Sciences, College of Life Sciences, National Chung Hsing University, Taichung, Taiwan
Plant Physiol Biochem 49:449-57. 2011The energy metabolism of mitochondria in young rhizomes of the bamboo species Bambusa oldhamii, which favors shooting during the summer, and Phyllostachys edulis, which favors shooting during the winter, was characterized...
- A molecular phylogenetic and fruit evolutionary analysis of the major groups of the paleotropical woody bamboos (Gramineae: Bambusoideae) based on nuclear ITS, GBSSI gene and plastid trnL-F DNA sequencesHan Qi Yang
Key Laboratory of Biodiversity and Biogeography, Kunming Institute of Botany, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Heilongtan, Kunming, Yunnan 650204, China
Mol Phylogenet Evol 48:809-24. 2008..e., the Bambusinae+Dinochloa clade and the Melocanninae clade. The former clade included Bambusa, Bonia, Dendrocalamus, Dendrocalamopsis, Dinochloa, Gigantochloa, Molecalamus, Neomicrocalamus, Neosinocalamus, ..
- Complete nucleotide sequence of Dendrocalamus latiflorus and Bambusa oldhamii chloroplast genomesF H Wu
Agricultural Biotechnology Research Center, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan
Tree Physiol 29:847-56. 2009..the complete chloroplast genome of two economically important bamboo species, Dendrocalamus latiflorus Munro and Bambusa oldhamii Munro, was determined employing a strategy that involved polymerase chain reaction (PCR) amplification ..
- [Effects of low oxygen-modified atmosphere packaging on browning and lignification of peeled bamboo shoots]Sheng min Lu
Ningbo Key Laboratory of Agricultural Products Processing Technology, Zhejiang Wanli University, Ningbo 315100, China
Zhi Wu Sheng Li Yu Fen Zi Sheng Wu Xue Xue Bao 30:387-92. 2004..05). The browning of bamboo shoots was probably caused by POD and PAL activities, and the increase in POD and PAL activities might account for the lignification of bamboo shoots...
- Lig-8, a bioactive lignophenol derivative from bamboo lignin, protects against neuronal damage in vitro and in vivoYasushi Ito
Department of Biofunctional Molecules, Gifu Pharmaceutical University, Japan
J Pharmacol Sci 102:196-204. 2006..Hence, lig-8 protects, partly by inhibiting excessive ER-stress, against neuronal damage in vitro and in vivo...
- Medicinal plants used for dogs in Trinidad and TobagoC Lans
Faculty of Medical Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of the West Indies, Mt Hope, Trinidad and Tobago
Prev Vet Med 45:201-20. 2000..Dogs are groomed with the leaves of Cordia curassavica, Bambusa vulgaris and Scoparia dulcis...
- Potential sources of sugar for the phlebotomine sandfly Lutzomyia youngi (Diptera: Psychodidae) in a Colombian coffee plantationB Alexander
, Cali, Colombia
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 88:543-9. 1994..Although some flies also took sugar from red-flowered balsam (Impatiens balsamina) and bamboo (Bambusa angustifolia), none of the insects exposed to plantain (Musa paradisiaca) gave a positive result unless the ..
- Comparison of plants used for skin and stomach problems in Trinidad and Tobago with Asian ethnomedicineCheryl Lans
BCICS, University of Victoria, British Columbia, V8W 2Y2, Canada
J Ethnobiol Ethnomed 3:3. 2007..The uses are compared to those current in Asia. Bambusa vulgaris, Bidens alba, Jatropha curcas, Neurolaena lobata, Peperomia rotundifolia and Phyllanthus urinaria are ..
- Methyl bromide as a quarantine treatment for Chlorophorus annularis (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae) in raw bamboo polesAlan V Barak
USDA APHIS PPQ, Pest Survey, Detection and Exclusion Laboratory, Building 1398, Otis ANGB, MA 02542 5008, USA
J Econ Entomol 102:913-20. 2009At least 26 different species of insects of quarantine significance were intercepted from 1985 to 2005 on bamboo (Bambusa spp.) garden stakes from China...
- Evaluation of rice and sugarcane SSR markers for phylogenetic and genetic diversity analyses in bambooR K Sharma
Division of Biotechnology, Institute of Himalayan Bioresource Technology, Post Box 6, Palampur, H P, 176061, India
Genome 51:91-103. 2008..However, only a few SSR markers are known and available in bamboo species of the tropics (Bambusa spp.)...
- Bioreclamation of coalmine overburden dumps--with special empasis on micronutrients and heavy metals accumulation in tree speciesSubodh Kumar Maiti
Centre of Mining Environment, Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad, Jharkhand, India
Environ Monit Assess 125:111-22. 2007..Out of six tree species studied, Bambusa shows highest accumulation of Fe and Cr...
- Molecular characterization of a phenylalanine ammonia-lyase gene (BoPAL1) from Bambusa oldhamiiLu Sheng Hsieh
Institute of Microbiology and Biochemistry, Department of Biochemical Science and Technology, College of Life Science, National Taiwan University, 1 Roosevelt Road Section 4, Taipei, 106, Taiwan, ROC
Mol Biol Rep 38:283-90. 2011..A PAL gene, designated as BoPAL1, was cloned from a Bambusa oldhamii cDNA library...
- Wetland treatment (HSSP) of wastewater from a milk-processing unit using Bambusa vulgaris, Typha latifolia and Cyperus rotundusShalini Tandon
Mumbai Zonal Laboratory, National Environmental Engineering Research Institute NEERI, CSIR, 89 B, Dr A B Road, Worli, Mumbai 400 018
J Environ Sci Eng 52:23-6. 2010..in soil-less horizontal sub-surface flow wetland (HSSF) embedded with graded gravels using Golden bamboo, Bambusa vulgaris (a non-wetland species), Typha latifolia and Cyperus rotundus (wetland species) for the treatment of ..
- Interactive effects of natural and human disturbances on vegetation dynamics across landscapesMarc A Linderman
Center for Systems Integration and Sustainability, Department of Fisheries and Wildlife, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
Ecol Appl 16:452-63. 2006..Our study showed not only the importance of the spatial distribution of direct household impacts on habitat, but also the far-reaching effects of the indirect interactions between humans and the landscapes they are modifying...
- Immunohistochemical localization of hemicelluloses and pectins varies during tissue development in the bamboo culmKiyoshi Suzuki
Graduate School of Agriculture and Biological Sciences, Osaka Prefecture University, Sakai, Osaka 599 8531, Japan
Histochem J 34:535-44. 2002..This represents the first account of the distribution of hemicelluloses and pectins at the tissue and ultrastructural level in bamboo internodes at various stages of development...
- [Host plant suitability and reproductive isolation of two Schizotetranychus bambusae populations from the bamboo species Phyllostachys pubescens and Neosinocalamus affini]Huai Liu
Key Laboratory of Entomology and Pest Control Engineering of Agricultural Ministry and Chongqing, Plant Protection Department of Southwest Agricultural University, Chongqing 400716, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 15:299-302. 2004..0993, 1.1044, and 10.0622, respectively. Reciprocal cross test between PhS and NeS showed tht the two populations could mate, but laid unfertilized eggs that produced male only, indicating the existence of reproductive isolation...
- Effect of arbuscular mycorrhizal inoculations on seedling growth and biomass productivity of two bamboo speciesAnuradha Jha
National Research Centre for Agroforestry, Near Pahuj Dam, Gwalior Road, Jhansi, UP 284 003 India
Indian J Microbiol 52:281-5. 2012A study was conducted to identify suitable arbuscular mycorrhizal (AM) fungi for inoculation of Bambusa bambos and Dendrocalamus strictus at nursery stage for increasing growth and productivity...
- Improving Anammox start-up with bamboo charcoalChong Jun Chen
Institute of Environmental Science and Technology, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310029, PR China
Chemosphere 89:1224-9. 2012..5 times and 12.3 times greater than that in CK and SP reactor, respectively. BC addition could accelerate the start-up of Anammox and significantly increase the Anammox bacteria number...
- Prebiotic activity of polysaccharides extracted from Gigantochloa levis (Buluh beting) shootsAida Firdaus Muhammad Nurul Azmi
Department of Microbiology, Faculty Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences, Universiti Putra Malaysia, Serdang, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
Molecules 17:1635-51. 2012..acidophilus ATCC 4356 as compared to the use of FOS. Survivality of S. choleraesuis JCM 6977 was found to be slower in both BSCP and FOS. Study conducted reflects a good sign for the BSCP to be exploited as a promising prebiotic...
- Transposable elements in Phyllostachys pubescens (Poaceae) genome survey sequences and the full-length cDNA sequences, and their association with simple-sequence repeatsM B Zhou
The Nurturing Station for the State Key Laboratory of Subtropical Silviculture, Zhejiang A and F University, Linan, Zhejiang Province, P R China
Genet Mol Res 10:3026-37. 2011..Our data provide a glimpse of the structure and evolution of P. pubescens genome, although large-scale sequencing of the genome would be required to fully understand the architecture of the P. pubescens genome...
- Morphology and properties of hybrid composites based on polypropylene/polylactic acid blend and bamboo fiberZhang Ying-Chen
Henan Key Laboratory of Textile Materials, College of Textiles, ZhongYuan University, Henan ZhengZhou 450007, China
Bioresour Technol 101:7944-50. 2010..The XRD and DSC results showed that spread and phases in the composites preserved crystallization. The good rheological, morphological and thermal properties obtained when the ratio of PP/PLA/BF/MAH-g-PP was 48.75/13/35/3.25...
- The maximum height of grasses is determined by rootsKun Fang Cao
Key Laboratory of Tropical Forest Ecology, Xishuangbanna Tropical Botanical Garden, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Menglun, Mengla, Yunnan Province 666303, China
Ecol Lett 15:666-72. 2012..Our results established the critical importance of root pressure in the tallest grass species and provide a new basis for understanding the limits for plant growth...
- Purification of protein AP-toxin from Arthrinium phaeospermum causing blight in Bambusa pervariabilis × Dendrocalamopisis grandis and its metabolic effects on four bamboo varietiesShu Jiang Li
College of Forestry, Sichuan Agricultural University, Ya an 625014, China
Phytopathology 103:135-45. 2013b>Bambusa pervariabilis × Dendrocalamopisis grandis blight is caused by a toxin produced by the fungus Arthrinium phaeospermum...
- [Photosynthetic parameters and chlorophyll fluorescence characteristics of Pleioblastus kongosanensis f. aureostriaus under drought stress]Juan Li
State Forestry Administration Key Laboratory of Bamboo and Rattan Science and Technology, International Centre for Bamboo and Rattan, Beijing, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 22:1395-402. 2011..It was suggested that P. kongosanensis could grow well on the soil with relative moisture content > or = 12% and drought duration less than 25 d...
- Biodegradation of kraft lignin by a bacterial strain Comamonas sp. B-9 isolated from eroded bamboo slipsY H Chen
School of Metallurgical Science and Engineering, Central South University, Changsha, China
J Appl Microbiol 112:900-6. 2012..The aim was to obtain evidences for lignin degradation by unicellular bacterium Comamonas sp. B-9...
- Grappling the high altitude for safe edible bamboo shoots with rich nutritional attributes and escaping cyanogenic toxicitySayanika Devi Waikhom
Institute of Bioresources and Sustainable Development IBSD, Takyelpat, Imphal, Manipur 795001, India
Biomed Res Int 2013:289285. 2013..Importantly, Dendrocalamus species are shown to be rich in TCC irrespective of the growing altitude while Bambusa species are found to have moderate level of TCC...
- Bamboo salt has in vitro anticancer activity in HCT-116 cells and exerts anti-metastatic effects in vivoXin Zhao
Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Pusan National University, Busan, South Korea
J Med Food 16:9-19. 2013..Additionally, the anticancer, anti-inflammatory, and anti-metastatic effects of the 1× and 3× bamboo salts were stronger than those of the purified and solar salts...
- Bamboo-dominated forests of the southwest Amazon: detection, spatial extent, life cycle length and flowering wavesAnelena L de Carvalho
Graduate Program in Forest Science, National Institute for Amazon Research, Cruzeiro do Sul, Brazil
PLoS ONE 8:e54852. 2013..This may be a consequence of allochronic divergence from fewer ancestral populations and suggests a long history of widespread bamboo in the southwest Amazon...
- Evaluation of bamboo shoot peptide preparation with angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitory and antioxidant abilities from byproducts of canned bamboo shootsLianliang Liu
Department of Food Science and Nutrition, School of Biosystems Engineering and Food Science, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, 310058 Zhejiang, PR China
J Agric Food Chem 61:5526-33. 2013..This study provides further examples of utilization of byproducts from the processing of canned bamboo shoots for the prevention of hypertension and attenuation of oxidative stress...
- Assessment of genetic diversity of landraces of Dendrocalamus hamiltonii using AFLP markers and association with biochemical traitsS D Waikhom
Institute of Bioresource and Sustainable Development, Imphal, India
Genet Mol Res 11:2107-21. 2012..694, P < 0.01). Thus, we found association of DNA markers with antioxidant activities and total cyanide content. These results could be of use for the identification of superior genotypes with desirable traits...
- Kinetic study of pentosan solubility during heating and reacting processes of steam treatment of green bambooXiaolin Luo
College of Material Engineering, Fujian Agriculture and Forestry University FAFU, Fuzhou 350002, China
Bioresour Technol 130:769-76. 2013..After using f(P) to combine reaction temperature and time into a single factor, comparative result showed that steam treatment is more effective for removing pentosan compared with hot water extraction...
- Bars to jars: bamboo value chains in CameroonVerina Ingram
Centre for International Forestry Research CIFOR, BP 2008, Messa, Yaounde, Cameroon
Ambio 42:320-33. 2013..two African indigenous species (alpine Yushania alpina and savannah Oxytenanthera abyssinica) and exotic (Bambusa vulgaris spp.) bamboos were identified as most utilized...
- Bamboo dominance reduces tree regeneration in a disturbed tropical forestPanadda Larpkern
Department of Ecology and Natural Resource Management, The Norwegian University of Life Sciences, As, Norway
Oecologia 165:161-8. 2011..We examined the effects of bamboos (Bambusa tulda and Cephalostachyum pergracile) and their litter on the overall woody seedling abundance, species richness ..
- [Research on the features of DNA methylation in leaves of different chronological ages of Phyllostachys heterocycla var. pubescens based on the method of MSAP]Guang Ping Guo
Research Institute of Subtropical Forestry, Chinese Academy of Forestry, Fuyang 311400, China
Yi Chuan 33:794-800. 2011..Throuygh ANOVA it showed that 6 pairs (E3/HM2, E3/HM6, E3/HM7, E4/HM5, E4/HM6 and E5/HM5) of primers had obvious influence on DNA methylation for ones with different chronological ages and could be used for further research...
- Can deuterium tracing be used for reliably estimating water use of tropical trees and bamboo?Luitgard Schwendenmann
Tropical Silviculture and Forest Ecology, Burckhardt Institute, University of Gottingen, Büsgenweg 1, 37077 Gottingen, Germany
Tree Physiol 30:886-900. 2010..However, the D(2)O tracing method appears suitable for answering other questions, such as relative differences in water use among trees, water redistribution among neighbours and internal water transport and storage processes in plants...
- The 3'-terminal sequence of Bamboo mosaic virus minus-strand RNA interacts with RNA-dependent RNA polymerase and initiates plus-strand RNA synthesisI Hsuan Chen
Graduate Institute of Biotechnology, National Chung Hsing University, Taichung 40227, Taiwan
Mol Plant Pathol 11:203-12. 2010....
- Sulfuryl fluoride as a quarantine treatment for Chlorophorus annularis (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae) in Chinese bamboo polesDaojian Yu
Animal and Plant Inspection and Quarantine Technical Center, Shenzhen Entry Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau of People s Republic of China, China
J Econ Entomol 103:277-83. 2010Bamboo (genera Bambusa and Phyllstachys) is one of the fastest growing and economically important plants in the world, and it is cultivated widely throughout southern China...
- Cloning and expression of a phenylalanine ammonia-lyase gene (BoPAL2) from Bambusa oldhamii in Escherichia coli and Pichia pastorisLu Sheng Hsieh
Institute of Microbiology and Biochemistry, Department of Biochemical Science and Technology, College of Life Science, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
Protein Expr Purif 71:224-30. 2010..5) is the first committed enzyme of phenylpropanoid pathway. A PAL gene, designated as BoPAL2, was cloned from a Bambusa oldhamii cDNA library. The open reading frame of BoPAL2 was 2142bp in size encoding a 713-amino acid polypeptide...
- The effect of bamboo extract on hepatic biotransforming enzymes--findings from an obese-diabetic mouse modelCheryl L K Koide
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, HI 96813, USA
J Ethnopharmacol 133:37-45. 2011....
- [Fractal features of soil aggregate structure in slope farmland with different de-farming patterns in South Sichuan Province of China]Jing yan Wang
Sichuan Provincial Key Laboratory of Ecological Forestry Engineering, Sichuan Agricultural University, Ya an 625014, Sichuan, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 21:1410-6. 2010..aggregate structure (D) in the slope farmland (CK), its 5-year de-farmed Neosinocalamus affinis plantation (NAP), Bambusa pervariabilis x Dendrocalamopsis oldhami plantation (BDP), Alnus crenastogyne + Neosinocalamus affinis plantation ..
- Identification of an NAP-like transcription factor BeNAC1 regulating leaf senescence in bamboo (Bambusa emeiensis'Viridiflavus')Yunxia Chen
Institute of Bamboo Research, Nanjing Forestry University, Nanjing 210037, China State Key Laboratory of Genetic Engineering and Institute of Plant Biology, School of Life Sciences, Fudan University, 220 Handan Road, Shanghai 200433, China
Physiol Plant 142:361-71. 2011..In this study, an NAC gene was isolated and characterized from the bamboo Bambusa emeiensis'Viridiflavus' and tentatively named BeNAC1...
- Evaluation of steam-treated giant bamboo for production of fermentable sugarsMaría García-Aparicio
Dept of Process Engineering, Stellenbosch University, Private Bag X1 Stellenbosch 7602 South Africa
Biotechnol Prog 27:641-9. 2011..25) if the microorganism possesses robust fermentative characteristics as well as a high resistance to pretreatment by-products...
- [The bamboo Merostachys fischeriana (Bambusoideae: Bambuseae) as a canopy habitat for ants of Neotropical Montane Forest]Roberth Fagundes
Lab de Ecologia Evolutiva de Insetos de Dossel e Sucessão Natural, DEBIO, ICEB, Univ Federal de Ouro Preto, Ouro Preto, MG, Brasil
Neotrop Entomol 39:906-11. 2010..The plant's morphology allowed the occurrence of additional species of ants in the canopy and influenced the composition of the entire ant assemblage...
- Organochlorine pesticide residues in bamboo shootZi Wu Guo
Research Institute of Subtropical Forest, Chinese Academy of Forestry, Fuyang 311400, Zhejiang, People s Republic of China
J Sci Food Agric 91:593-6. 2011..Pesticide use is prevalent in the production of edible bamboo shoots, which are exported widely from China. To evaluate the quality of Chinese bamboo shoots we determined the residual content of some OCPs in shoot samples...
- Characterization of copper/zinc and manganese superoxide dismutase in green bamboo (Bambusa oldhamii): Cloning, expression and regulationTsung Han Wu
Institute of Plant Biology, National Taiwan University, Taipei 10617, Taiwan
Plant Physiol Biochem 49:195-200. 2011..C.188.8.131.52), the first line of antioxidant enzymes, in green bamboo (Bambusa oldhamii)...
- Adsorption of dimethyl sulfide from aqueous solution by a cost-effective bamboo charcoalMing Wang
Laboratory of Advanced Materials, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
J Hazard Mater 190:1009-15. 2011..6 wt%) was detected in bamboo charcoal-elements not found in PAC. Acidic functional group and specific adsorption sites would be responsible for the strong adsorption of dimethyl sulfide onto bamboo charcoal of Dendrocalamus origin...
- High-throughput sequencing of six bamboo chloroplast genomes: phylogenetic implications for temperate woody bamboos (Poaceae: Bambusoideae)Yun Jie Zhang
Key Laboratory of Biodiversity and Biogeography, Kunming Institute of Botany, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Kunming, Yunnan, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 6:e20596. 2011..Phylogenomics is an alternative choice for resolving difficult phylogenies...
- [Effects of simulated nitrogen deposition on soil respiration in a Bambusa pervariabilis x Dendrocala mopsi plantation in rainy area of West China]Li Hua Tu
Sichuan Province Key Laboratory of Ecological Engineering, College of Forestry, Sichuan Agricultural University, Ya an 625014, Sichuan, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 22:829-36. 2011..in Rainy Area of West China to understand the effects of nitrogen (N) deposition on the soil respiration in a Bambusa pervariabilis x Dendrocala mopsi plantation. Four treatments were installed, i. e...
- Accessibility of Enzymatically Delignified Bambusa bambos for Efficient Hydrolysis at Minimum Cellulase Loading: An Optimization StudyArindam Kuila
Microbial Biotechnology and Downstream Processing Laboratory, Agricultural and Food Engineering Department, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur 721 302, India
Enzyme Res 2011:805795. 2011In the present investigation, Bambusa bambos was used for optimization of enzymatic pretreatment and saccharification. Maximum enzymatic delignification achieved was 84%, after 8 h of incubation time...
- Comparative study of alkali-soluble hemicelluloses isolated from bamboo (Bambusa rigida)Jia Long Wen
College of Forestry, Northwest A and F University, Yangling 712100, China Institute of Biomass Chemistry and Technology, Beijing Forest University, Beijing 100083, China
Carbohydr Res 346:111-20. 2011..These were extracted from bamboo (Bambusa rigida) with 1M NaOH, KOH, LiOH, NH(3)·H(2)O, (CH(3)CH(2))(3)N, Ca(OH)(2), Ba(OH)(2), respectively, at 50°C for ..
- Molecular diversity of bamboo-associated fungi isolated from JapanDoungporn Morakotkarn
The International Center for Biotechnology, Osaka University, Osaka, Japan
FEMS Microbiol Lett 266:10-9. 2007..These findings reveal that bamboos are a huge reservoir of microorganisms that should be extensively investigated...
- Insights into the bamboo genome: syntenic relationships to rice and sorghumYi Jie Gui
Institute of Crop Science and Institute of Bioinformatics, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310029, China
J Integr Plant Biol 52:1008-15. 2010..2%) in bamboo is similar to that in rice. Both rice and sorghum exhibit high genomic synteny with bamboo, which suggests that rice and sorghum may be useful as models for decoding Bambusoideae genomes...
- [Effects of wilderness-training Ailuropoda melanoleuca's feeding and artificial harvesting on population structure of Fargesia robusta clone]Shi qiang Zhou
China Conservation and Research Center for the Giant Panda, Wolong 623006, Sichuan, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 21:1709-17. 2010..05). The young and adult bamboos in artificial harvesting plot were far poor in shoot quality, and A. melanoleuca rejected to feed with them...
- [Effects of simulated nitrogen deposition on soil respiration in a Neosinocalamus affinis plantation in rainy area of west China]Ren Hong Li
Sichuan Province Key Laboratory of Forestry Ecological Engineering, College of Forestry, Sichuan Agricultural University, Ya an 625014, Sichuan, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 21:1649-55. 2010..6% , 46.7%, and 50.5% lower than that in CK (2.17 x 10(4) kg x hm(-2)), and the Q10 value of soil respiration rate in treatments 0, 50, 150, and 300 kg x hm(-2) x a(-1) was 3.72, 3.51, 2.95, and 2.71, respectively...
- Simultaneous removal of 2,4-dichlorophenol and Cd from soils by electrokinetic remediation combined with activated bamboo charcoalJian wei Ma
State Key Joint Laboratory of Environment Simulation and Pollution Control, Department of Environmental Science and Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
J Hazard Mater 176:715-20. 2010..Our results indicate a promising potential in in situ electroremediation of soils co-contaminated with organics and heavy metals...
- Subcellular localization and expression of bamboo mosaic virus satellite RNA-encoded proteinParamasivan Vijaya Palani
Institute of Plant and Microbial Biology, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan 115, ROC
J Gen Virol 90:507-18. 2009..The expression kinetics of the P20 protein was similar to but slightly earlier than that of CP in co-infected Bambusa oldhamii protoplasts and Nicotiana benthamiana leaves...
- A recent survey of mosquito fauna in Guangdong Province,southern China, with a review of past records [corrected]L Q Jin
Department of Pathogen Biology, Shantou University Medical College, Shantou, China
Med Vet Entomol 22:359-63. 2008..pallidothorax Theobald, Cx quinquefasciatus Say, Cx sitiens Wiedemann, Lutzia fuscanus Wiedemann and Tripteroides bambusa (Yamada). Armigeres subalbatus (Coquillett) was found only in containers in villages, whereas Ae...
- [Effects of atmospheric calibration on remote sensing estimation of Moso bamboo forest biomass]Wei Liang Fan
School of Environmental Science and Technology, Zhejiang Forestry University, Lin an 311300, Zhejiang, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 21:1-8. 2010....
- [Rapid determination of Klason lignin content in bamboo by NIR]Gai yun Li
Research Institute of Wood Industry, Chinese Academy of Forestry, Beijing, China
Guang Pu Xue Yu Guang Pu Fen Xi 27:1977-80. 2007..The standard error of calibration (SEC) and standard error of prediction (SEP) was 0.36% and 0.59%, respectively. It was found that the lignin content in bamboo could be determined rapidly with reasonable accuracy by the NIR method...
- Laboratory study on the effect of deltamethrin WG and WP formulations against Anopheles maculatus Theobald (Diptera:Culicidae) on rough and smooth surfaces of bamboo wallA Rohani
Medical Entomology Unit, Infectious Disease Research Centre, Institute for Medical Research, 50588 Kuala Lumpur
Trop Biomed 24:77-82. 2007..maculatus up to 14 months post-spraying. Efficacy and residual activity of deltamethrin WG at 25mg/m2 had proved to be the longest on both rough and smooth surfaces of bamboo...
- Effect of bamboo shoot, Bambusa arundinacea (Retz.) Willd. on thyroid status under conditions of varying iodine intake in ratsAmar K Chandra
Endocrinology and Reproductive Physiology Laboratory, Department of Physiology, University of Calcutta, Kolkata 700009, India
Indian J Exp Biol 42:781-6. 2004..Extra iodide had reduced the anti-thyroidal effect of BS to an extent but could not cancel it because of excessive cyanogenic glucoside, glucosinolate and thiocyanate present in it...
- Non-experimental validation of ethnoveterinary plants and indigenous knowledge used for backyard pigs and chickens in Trinidad and TobagoC Lans
BCICS, University of Victoria, Victoria, BC V8W 3R4, Canada
Trop Anim Health Prod 39:375-85. 2007..Leaf decoctions of bois canôt (Cecropia peltata) and bamboo (Bambusa vulgaris) are used for labour pains or leaves are fed as a postpartum cleanser...
- Lig-8, a highly bioactive lignophenol derivative from bamboo lignin, exhibits multifaceted neuroprotective activityYasushi Ito
Department of Biofunctional Molecules, Gifu Pharmaceutical University, Gifu, Japan
CNS Drug Rev 13:296-307. 2007..We believe that the elucidation of the mechanism of antiapoptotic action of lig-8 may help in finding new approaches to the treatment of neurodegenerative disorders...
- Preparation of monoclonal antibody bank against whole water-soluble proteins from rapid-growing bamboo shootsYu Jen Wu
Department of Biochemical Science and Technology, Institute of Microbiology and Biochemistry, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
Proteomics 6:5898-902. 2006..An improved two-stage strategy was employed to enrich those poor immunogenic or lower expressed proteins. Totally, we obtained a bank of 192 mAb which were identified as distinctive to each other by 2-DE and immunostaining...
- Removal of iron from groundwater by ash: a systematic study of a traditional methodB Das
Department of Chemical Sciences, Tezpur University, Napaam, Tezpur 784028, Assam, India
J Hazard Mater 141:834-41. 2007..Increase in the essential minerals such as Ca, K has been observed in the water after treatment. The designed iron removing system is expected to be suitable for household use...
- Experimental evaluation of overhanging bamboo in Anopheles darlingi larval habitat selection in Belize, Central AmericaNicole L Achee
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Department of Preventive Medicine and Biometrics, 4301 Jones Bridge Road, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
J Vector Ecol 31:145-51. 2006..darlingi larval habitat attractiveness but may function as a barrier to surface water flow causing the lodging of debris, the preferred habitat, that will then attract gravid females for oviposition...
- A satellite RNA associated with bamboo mosaic potexvirusN S Lin
Institute of Botany, Academia Sinica, Nankang, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Virology 202:707-14. 1994..RNA molecule with properties of a satellite RNA was found in an isolate of bamboo mosaic potexvirus (BaMV-V) from Bambusa vulgaris McClure...
- Arsenic speciation in moso bamboo shoot--a terrestrial plant that contains organoarsenic speciesRui Zhao
Department of Chemistry, Key Laboratory for Atomic and Molecular Nanosciences of Education Ministry, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, P R China
Sci Total Environ 371:293-303. 2006..The study provides useful information for better understanding of the distribution of arsenic species in terrestrial plants...
- Molecular cloning and functional identification of invertase isozymes from green bamboo Bambusa oldhamiiChang Wen Hsieh
Institute of Microbiology and Biochemistry, National Taiwan University, Taipei 106, Taiwan
J Agric Food Chem 54:3101-7. 2006Three Bo beta fruct cDNAs encoding acid invertases were cloned from shoots of the green bamboo Bambusa oldhamii...
- Generation and characterization of SCARs by cloning and sequencing of RAPD products: a strategy for species-specific marker development in bambooMalay DAS
Plant Molecular and Cellular Genetics, Bose Institute, P 1 12 CIT Scheme VIIM, Kolkata 700054, India
Ann Bot 95:835-41. 2005The aim of this study was to develop species-specific molecular markers for Bambusa balcooa and B...
- A highly bioactive lignophenol derivative from bamboo lignin exhibits a potent activity to suppress apoptosis induced by oxidative stress in human neuroblastoma SH-SY5Y cellsYukihiro Akao
Gifu International Institute of Biotechnology, Kakamigahara, Gifu 504 0838, Japan
Bioorg Med Chem 12:4791-801. 2004..These data suggest that lig-8 is a promising neuroprotector, which affects the signaling pathway of neuronal cell death and that it would be of benefit to delay the progress of neurodegenerative diseases...
- Design of a low-cost bamboo wellS K Shakya
Department of Soil and Water Engineering, Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana, Punjab, India
Ground Water 47:310-3. 2009..Excellent performance, low cost, and good service life justify the use of a bamboo well for ground water withdrawal in developing countries...
- Isolation, identification and characterization of soil microbes which degrade phenolic allelochemicalsZ Y Zhang
Guangdong Provincial Key Lab of Biotechnology for Plant Development, College of Life Sciences, South China Normal University, Guangzhou, China
J Appl Microbiol 108:1839-49. 2010..To isolate and characterize microbes in the soils containing high contents of phenolics and to dissolve the allelopathic inhibition of plants through microbial degradation...
- Effect of preparation conditions of activated carbon from bamboo waste for real textile wastewaterA A Ahmad
School of Chemical Engineering, Engineering Campus, Universiti Sains Malaysia, 14300 Nibong Tebal, Penang, Malaysia
J Hazard Mater 173:487-93. 2010..The optimum condition was obtained by using temperature of 556 degrees C, activation time of 2.33 h and chemical impregnation ratio of 5.24, which resulted in 93.08% of color and 73.98% of COD...
- Toxicological implications of aqueous extract of Bambusa vulgaris leaves in pregnant Dutch rabbitsM T Yakubu
Phytomedicine and Toxicology Research Laboratory, University of Ilorin, Ilorin, Nigeria
Hum Exp Toxicol 28:591-8. 2009Aqueous extract of Bambusa vulgaris L. leaves at 250 and 500 mg/kg body weight was investigated for toxic effects in pregnant rabbits. Apparently healthy, female rabbits (Dutch) weighing between 1.62 and 1...
- [Relationships among Cyrtotrachelus buqueti larval density and wormhole number and bamboo shoot damage degree]Yao Jun Yang
College of Chemistry and Bioscience, Leshan Normal University, Leshan, Sichuan, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 20:1980-5. 2009..buqueti larval density and bamboo shoot damage degree were established, and the thresholds of C. buqueti larval density and wormhole number were 0.13 and 0.40 individual per bamboo, respectively...
- Identification of genes related to the development of bamboo rhizome budKuihong Wang
State Key Laboratory of Plant Physiology and Biochemistry, Key Laboratory for Cell and Gene Engineering of Zhejiang Province, College of Life Sciences, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
J Exp Bot 61:551-61. 2010....
- New species and records of Shrungabeeja from southern ChinaKai Zhang
Department of Plant Pathology, Shandong Agricultural University, Taian, 271018, China
Mycologia 101:573-8. 2009..S. vadirajensis is recorded for the first time from China. A key to the three known species of Shrungabeeja is provided...
- Structural homology between bamboo mosaic virus and its satellite RNAs in the 5'untranslated regionShih Cheng Chen
Leiden Institute of Chemistry, Department of Molecular Genetics, 2300 RA Leiden, The Netherlands
J Gen Virol 91:782-7. 2010..The role of this homology in the helper-satellite interaction is discussed...
- Seasonal shifts in giant panda feeding behavior: relationships to bamboo plant part consumptionRachel L Hansen
Conservation and Research Department, Memphis Zoological Society, Memphis, Tennessee, USA
Zoo Biol 29:470-83. 2010..This study indicates that unique seasonal foraging behaviors observed in wild pandas are also apparent in captive animals in relation to plant part selectivity and feeding behaviors...
- Effects of Bambusae caulis in Liquamen on the development of atopic dermatitis-like skin lesions in hairless miceXu Feng Qi
Department of Environmental Medical Biology, Wonju College of Medicine, Yonsei University, Wonju, Gangwon 220 701, Republic of Korea
J Ethnopharmacol 123:195-200. 2009..It is an important traditional herbal medicine used to treat coughs and asthma in East Asia. In recent years, it has been studied for its anti-inflammatory, anti-allergenic, and immune-regulating properties...
- Bamboo saccharification through cellulose solvent-based biomass pretreatment followed by enzymatic hydrolysis at ultra-low cellulase loadingsNoppadon Sathitsuksanoh
Biological Systems Engineering Department, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 210 A Seitz Hall, Blacksburg, VA 24061, USA
Bioresour Technol 101:4926-9. 2010..Cost analysis indicated that a 15-fold decrease in use of costly cellulase would be of importance to decrease overall costs of biomass saccharification when cellulase costs are higher than $0.15 per gallon of cellulosic ethanol...
- Efficacy and economic benefits of prophylactic treatments of newly felled bambooC M Garcia
Forest Products Research and Development Institute, Los Banos, Laguna 4031, Philippines
J Econ Entomol 103:101-7. 2010Bamboo (Bambusa spp.) users in Laguna and Rizal, Philippines, were surveyed regarding their willingness to accept varying degrees of bamboo powderpost beetle, Dinoderus minutus (F.) (Coleoptera: Bostrichidae), damage...
- Variation in vegetation structure and soil properties, and the relation between understory plants and environmental variables under different Phyllostachys pubescens forests in southeastern ChinaChangshun Zhang
Institute of Geographic Sciences and Natural Resources Research, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 11A, Datun Road Chaoyang District, 100101, Beijing, People s Republic of China
Environ Manage 45:779-92. 2010..g., organic fertilizer), adjusting stand structure, modifying utilization model and the harvest time, and controlling the intensity of culms and shoots harvests...
- Role of bamboo extract in relieving lipotoxicity and oxidative stress in diabetesJun Panee; Fiscal Year: 2007....