Summary: A plant genus of the family POACEAE. Young shoots are eaten in Asian foods while the stiff mature stems are used for construction of many things. The common name of bamboo is also used for other genera of Poaceae including Phyllostachys, SASA, and Dendrocalamus.
Publications147 found, 100 shown here
- Antiinflammatory and antiulcer activities of Bambusa arundinaceaM Muniappan
Department of Pharmacology, Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute Deemed University, Porur, Chennai 600116, India
J Ethnopharmacol 88:161-7. 2003The extracts of Bambusa arundinacea have been used in Indian folk medicine to treat various inflammatory conditions. The plant has got antiulcer activity also...
- Phylogenetic analysis of Bambusa (Poaceae: Bambusoideae) based on internal transcribed spacer sequences of nuclear ribosomal DNAYe Sun
South China Botanical Garden, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Guangzhou, Guangdong, 510650, PR China
Biochem Genet 43:603-12. 2005Phylogenetic analyses of Bambusa species were performed using internal transcribed spacer sequences of nuclear ribosomal DNA...
- Molecular characterization and expression of four cDNAs encoding sucrose synthase from green bamboo Bambusa oldhamiiWen Bin Chiu
Institute of Microbiology and Biochemistry, National Taiwan University, No 1, Sec 4, Roosevelt Road, Taipei 106, Taiwan
New Phytol 170:53-63. 2006..To investigate sucrose metabolism in this plant, we cloned the cDNAs encoding sucrose synthase (SuS) from Bambusa oldhamii and investigated their expression in growing shoots and leaves...
- Abortifacient potentials of the aqueous extract of Bambusa vulgaris leaves in pregnant Dutch rabbitsMusa T Yakubu
Department of Biochemistry, University of Ilorin, Ilorin, Nigeria
Contraception 80:308-13. 2009There is the claim in the folklore medicine of Nigeria of the use of Bambusa vulgaris leaves as an abortifacient. However, there has not been any scientific evidence in the literature that substantiated or refuted this claim.
- High-throughput sequencing of six bamboo chloroplast genomes: phylogenetic implications for temperate woody bamboos (Poaceae: Bambusoideae)Yun Jie Zhang
Key Laboratory of Biodiversity and Biogeography, Kunming Institute of Botany, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Kunming, Yunnan, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 6:e20596. 2011..Phylogenomics is an alternative choice for resolving difficult phylogenies...
- Biodegradation of kraft lignin by a bacterial strain Comamonas sp. B-9 isolated from eroded bamboo slipsY H Chen
School of Metallurgical Science and Engineering, Central South University, Changsha, China
J Appl Microbiol 112:900-6. 2012..The aim was to obtain evidences for lignin degradation by unicellular bacterium Comamonas sp. B-9...
- Identification of genes involved in bamboo fiber developmentVineeta Rai
Institute of Life Sciences, Laboratory of Plant Biotechnology, Department of Gene Function and Regulation, Bhubaneswar Orissa, India
Gene 478:19-27. 2011..The present study was undertaken to generate information about fiber development process in bamboo (Bambusa balcooa) using PCR-based suppressive subtractive hybridization (PCR-SSH) technique, as molecular mechanism of its ..
- Generation and analysis of expressed sequence tags from a normalized cDNA library of young leaf from Ma bamboo (Dendrocalamus latiflorus Munro)Z M Gao
International Center for Bamboo and Rattan, State Forestry Administration Key Open Laboratory on Bamboo and Rattan Science and Technology, Beijing, 100102, People s Republic of China
Plant Cell Rep 30:2045-57. 2011..These results will provide genome-wide knowledge about the molecular physiology of Ma bamboo young leaves and tools for advanced studies of molecular mechanism underlying leaf growth and development...
- Bamboo extract reduces interleukin 6 (IL-6) overproduction under lipotoxic conditions through inhibiting the activation of NF-κB and AP-1 pathwaysJason K Higa
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 651 Ilalo Street BSB 222, Honolulu, HI 96813, USA
Cytokine 55:18-23. 2011....
- Understanding bamboo flowering based on large-scale analysis of expressed sequence tagsX C Lin
Key Lab for Modern Silvicultural Technology of Zhejiang Province, Zhejiang Forestry University, Zhejiang, China
Genet Mol Res 9:1085-93. 2010..sequence tags in the flower bud and vegetative shoot cDNA libraries, respectively, of the bamboo species, Bambusa oldhamii...
- A novel function of bamboo extract in relieving lipotoxicityJun Panee
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 651 Ilalo Street BSB 222, Honolulu, HI 96813, USA
Phytother Res 22:675-80. 2008..This study demonstrated a novel function of bamboo extract in preventing lipotoxicity in mammalian cells, implicating a promising phytotherapeutic approach for lipo-detoxification...
- Identification and characterization of two bamboo (Phyllostachys praecox) AP1/SQUA-like MADS-box genes during floral transitionEr Pei Lin
State Key Laboratory of Plant Physiology and Biochemistry, Key Laboratory for Cell and Gene Engineering of Zhejiang Province, College of Life Sciences, Zhejiang University, 310058, Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China
Planta 231:109-20. 2009..Taken together, our results suggest that both PpMADS1 and PpMADS2 are involved in floral transition, and PpMADS2 might play more important roles than PpMADS1 in floral development of Phyllostachys praecox...
- Identification of programmed cell death related genes in bambooVineeta Rai
Institute of Life Sciences, Laboratory of Plant Biotechnology, Bhubaneswar, India
Gene 497:243-8. 2012..To identify genes involved in autolytic cell death in bamboo (Bambusa arundinacea/Bambusa bambos Voss), a suppressive subtractive cDNA hybridization (SSH) was performed between cDNA ..
- Protective effects of the pyrolyzates derived from bamboo against neuronal damage and hematoaggregationEui Ju Hong
Department of Veterinary Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Chungbuk National University, Cheongju, Chungbuk 361 763, Republic of Korea
J Ethnopharmacol 128:594-9. 2010..Although the extracts from bamboo may have antioxidant activities and anti-inflammatory effects, their exact biological activities have not been elucidated...
- Cloning, expression, site-directed mutagenesis and immunolocalization of phenylalanine ammonia-lyase in Bambusa oldhamiiLu Sheng Hsieh
Institute of Microbiology and Biochemistry, National Taiwan University, 1 Sec 4, Roosevelt Road, Taipei, Taiwan
Phytochemistry 71:1999-2009. 2010Phenylalanine ammonia-lyase (PAL, EC 22.214.171.124) from green bamboo was isolated and cloned from the shell of Bambusa oldhamii...
- The compound isolated from the leaves of Phyllostachys nigra protects oxidative stress-induced retinal ganglion cells deathHee Ju Lee
Natural Products Research Center, Korea Institute of Science and Technology KIST Gangneung Institute, Daejeon dong, Gangneung, Republic of Korea
Food Chem Toxicol 48:1721-7. 2010..This compound also replenished the reduced glutathione level. In conclusion, these results implicate that compound 6 isolated from P. nigra could be used as a leading compounds for retinal disease via anti-oxidative effects...
- Cloning and characterization of an antifungal class III chitinase from suspension-cultured bamboo ( Bambusa oldhamii ) cellsChao Jen Kuo
Institute of Microbiology and Biochemistry, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
J Agric Food Chem 56:11507-14. 2008A class III chitinase cDNA (BoChi3-1) was cloned using a cDNA library from suspension-cultured bamboo ( Bambusa oldhamii ) cells and then transformed into yeast ( Pichia pastoris X-33) for expression...
- Phytotoxic effects of (+/-)-catechin in vitro, in soil, and in the field- Inderjit
Centre for Environmental Management of Degraded Ecosystems, University of Delhi, Delhi, India
PLoS ONE 3:e2536. 2008....
- Mitochondrial energy metabolism in young bamboo rhizomes from Bambusa oldhamii and Phyllostachys edulis during shooting stageLee Feng Chien
Department of Life Sciences, College of Life Sciences, National Chung Hsing University, Taichung, Taiwan
Plant Physiol Biochem 49:449-57. 2011The energy metabolism of mitochondria in young rhizomes of the bamboo species Bambusa oldhamii, which favors shooting during the summer, and Phyllostachys edulis, which favors shooting during the winter, was characterized...
- A molecular phylogenetic and fruit evolutionary analysis of the major groups of the paleotropical woody bamboos (Gramineae: Bambusoideae) based on nuclear ITS, GBSSI gene and plastid trnL-F DNA sequencesHan Qi Yang
Key Laboratory of Biodiversity and Biogeography, Kunming Institute of Botany, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Heilongtan, Kunming, Yunnan 650204, China
Mol Phylogenet Evol 48:809-24. 2008..e., the Bambusinae+Dinochloa clade and the Melocanninae clade. The former clade included Bambusa, Bonia, Dendrocalamus, Dendrocalamopsis, Dinochloa, Gigantochloa, Molecalamus, Neomicrocalamus, Neosinocalamus, ..
- Complete nucleotide sequence of Dendrocalamus latiflorus and Bambusa oldhamii chloroplast genomesF H Wu
Agricultural Biotechnology Research Center, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan
Tree Physiol 29:847-56. 2009..the complete chloroplast genome of two economically important bamboo species, Dendrocalamus latiflorus Munro and Bambusa oldhamii Munro, was determined employing a strategy that involved polymerase chain reaction (PCR) amplification ..
- [Effects of low oxygen-modified atmosphere packaging on browning and lignification of peeled bamboo shoots]Sheng min Lu
Ningbo Key Laboratory of Agricultural Products Processing Technology, Zhejiang Wanli University, Ningbo 315100, China
Zhi Wu Sheng Li Yu Fen Zi Sheng Wu Xue Xue Bao 30:387-92. 2004..05). The browning of bamboo shoots was probably caused by POD and PAL activities, and the increase in POD and PAL activities might account for the lignification of bamboo shoots...
- Lig-8, a bioactive lignophenol derivative from bamboo lignin, protects against neuronal damage in vitro and in vivoYasushi Ito
Department of Biofunctional Molecules, Gifu Pharmaceutical University, Japan
J Pharmacol Sci 102:196-204. 2006..Hence, lig-8 protects, partly by inhibiting excessive ER-stress, against neuronal damage in vitro and in vivo...
- Medicinal plants used for dogs in Trinidad and TobagoC Lans
Faculty of Medical Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of the West Indies, Mt Hope, Trinidad and Tobago
Prev Vet Med 45:201-20. 2000..Dogs are groomed with the leaves of Cordia curassavica, Bambusa vulgaris and Scoparia dulcis...
- Comparison of plants used for skin and stomach problems in Trinidad and Tobago with Asian ethnomedicineCheryl Lans
BCICS, University of Victoria, British Columbia, V8W 2Y2, Canada
J Ethnobiol Ethnomed 3:3. 2007..The uses are compared to those current in Asia. Bambusa vulgaris, Bidens alba, Jatropha curcas, Neurolaena lobata, Peperomia rotundifolia and Phyllanthus urinaria are ..
- Methyl bromide as a quarantine treatment for Chlorophorus annularis (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae) in raw bamboo polesAlan V Barak
USDA APHIS PPQ, Pest Survey, Detection and Exclusion Laboratory, Building 1398, Otis ANGB, MA 02542 5008, USA
J Econ Entomol 102:913-20. 2009At least 26 different species of insects of quarantine significance were intercepted from 1985 to 2005 on bamboo (Bambusa spp.) garden stakes from China...
- Bioreclamation of coalmine overburden dumps--with special empasis on micronutrients and heavy metals accumulation in tree speciesSubodh Kumar Maiti
Centre of Mining Environment, Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad, Jharkhand, India
Environ Monit Assess 125:111-22. 2007..Out of six tree species studied, Bambusa shows highest accumulation of Fe and Cr...
- Wetland treatment (HSSP) of wastewater from a milk-processing unit using Bambusa vulgaris, Typha latifolia and Cyperus rotundusShalini Tandon
Mumbai Zonal Laboratory, National Environmental Engineering Research Institute NEERI, CSIR, 89 B, Dr A B Road, Worli, Mumbai 400 018
J Environ Sci Eng 52:23-6. 2010..in soil-less horizontal sub-surface flow wetland (HSSF) embedded with graded gravels using Golden bamboo, Bambusa vulgaris (a non-wetland species), Typha latifolia and Cyperus rotundus (wetland species) for the treatment of ..
- Interactive effects of natural and human disturbances on vegetation dynamics across landscapesMarc A Linderman
Center for Systems Integration and Sustainability, Department of Fisheries and Wildlife, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
Ecol Appl 16:452-63. 2006..Our study showed not only the importance of the spatial distribution of direct household impacts on habitat, but also the far-reaching effects of the indirect interactions between humans and the landscapes they are modifying...
- Immunohistochemical localization of hemicelluloses and pectins varies during tissue development in the bamboo culmKiyoshi Suzuki
Graduate School of Agriculture and Biological Sciences, Osaka Prefecture University, Sakai, Osaka 599 8531, Japan
Histochem J 34:535-44. 2002..This represents the first account of the distribution of hemicelluloses and pectins at the tissue and ultrastructural level in bamboo internodes at various stages of development...
- [Host plant suitability and reproductive isolation of two Schizotetranychus bambusae populations from the bamboo species Phyllostachys pubescens and Neosinocalamus affini]Huai Liu
Key Laboratory of Entomology and Pest Control Engineering of Agricultural Ministry and Chongqing, Plant Protection Department of Southwest Agricultural University, Chongqing 400716, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 15:299-302. 2004..0993, 1.1044, and 10.0622, respectively. Reciprocal cross test between PhS and NeS showed tht the two populations could mate, but laid unfertilized eggs that produced male only, indicating the existence of reproductive isolation...
- Sucrose induces rapid activation of CfSAPK, a mitogen-activated protein kinase, in Cephalostachyum fuchsianum Gamble cellsLubin Li
State Key Laboratory of Tree Genetics and Breeding, Research Institute of Forestry, Chinese Academy of Forestry, Beijing 100091, China
Plant Cell Environ 35:1428-39. 2012..9 Da. The CfSAPK protein contains all 11 conserved kinase subdomains found in other Ser/Thr kinases. The amino acids sequence of CfSAPK is highly homologous to group A MAPKs in monocotyledon plants...
- Isolation and identification of lignans from Caulis Bambusae in Taenia with antioxidant propertiesJia Sun
State Forestry Administration Key Open Laboratory, International Centre for Bamboo and Rattan, Beijing 100102, China
J Agric Food Chem 61:4556-62. 2013Caulis Bambusae in Taenia is a medicinal preparation from Bambusa tuldoides Munro consisting of skinless slices of the stem (bamboo shavings) and used as a traditional health food in tea, wine, and soup in Asia...
- Evaluation of rice and sugarcane SSR markers for phylogenetic and genetic diversity analyses in bambooR K Sharma
Division of Biotechnology, Institute of Himalayan Bioresource Technology, Post Box 6, Palampur, H P, 176061, India
Genome 51:91-103. 2008..However, only a few SSR markers are known and available in bamboo species of the tropics (Bambusa spp.)...
- Bacterial species associated with traditional starter cultures used for fermented bamboo shoot production in Manipur state of IndiaK Jeyaram
Microbial Resources Division, Institute of Bioresources and Sustainable Development, Takyelpat Institutional Area, Imphal 795001, Manipur, India
Int J Food Microbiol 143:1-8. 2010..These dominant strains of B. subtilis, L. brevis and L. plantarum would allow for developing a defined starter culture for the production of quality soidon...
- Molecular characterization of a phenylalanine ammonia-lyase gene (BoPAL1) from Bambusa oldhamiiLu Sheng Hsieh
Institute of Microbiology and Biochemistry, Department of Biochemical Science and Technology, College of Life Science, National Taiwan University, 1 Roosevelt Road Section 4, Taipei, 106, Taiwan, ROC
Mol Biol Rep 38:283-90. 2011..A PAL gene, designated as BoPAL1, was cloned from a Bambusa oldhamii cDNA library...
- Dissolution and delignification of bamboo biomass using amino acid-based ionic liquidNawshad Muhammad
PETRONAS Ionic Liquid Center Chemical Engineering Department, Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS, Tronoh, 31750 Perak, Malaysia
Appl Biochem Biotechnol 165:998-1009. 2011..The regenerated biomass was found to have a more homogenous macrostructure, which indicates that the crystalline form and structure of its cellulose has changed from type Ι to type ΙΙ during the dissolution and regeneration process...
- Survival analysis for respiratory failure in patients with food-borne botulismRawiphan Witoonpanich
Faculty of Medicine, Division of Neurology, Department of Medicine, Ramathibodi Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Clin Toxicol (Phila) 48:177-83. 2010..In March 2006, there was a large outbreak of food-borne botulism associated with the ingestion of home-canned bamboo shoots in Thailand. The survival analyses for respiratory failure in these patients were studied and are reported here...
- [Detection of antioxidative capacity of bamboo leaf extract by scavenging superoxide anion free radical]Xue Feng Guo
International Centre for Bamboo and Ratten, State Forestry Administration Key Open Laboratory on Bamboo and Rattan Science and Technology, Beijing 100102, China
Guang Pu Xue Yu Guang Pu Fen Xi 28:1823-6. 2008..IC50 value of TBHQ and most effective samples were as follows: TBHQ (95.01 mg x L(-1)) and M40 (298.69 mg x L(-1)). M40 and other bamboo leaf extract could be used as natural antioxidant...
- [Study of thermal perturbation of natural bamboo fiber by two dimensional correlation analysis and Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy]An min Huang
Research Institute of Wood Industry, Chinese Academy of Forestry, Beijing 100091, China
Guang Pu Xue Yu Guang Pu Fen Xi 28:1237-41. 2008....
- De novo sequencing and characterization of the floral transcriptome of Dendrocalamus latiflorus (Poaceae: Bambusoideae)Xue Mei Zhang
Plant Germplasm and Genomics Center, Germplasm Bank of Wild Species, Kunming Institute of Botany, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Kunming, Yunnan, China
PLoS ONE 7:e42082. 2012..Our further goal was to identify patterns of gene expression during bamboo flower development...
- Transcriptome sequencing and de novo analysis for Ma bamboo (Dendrocalamus latiflorus Munro) using the Illumina platformMingying Liu
State Key Laboratory of Tree Genetics and Breeding, Chinese Academy of Forestry, Beijing, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 7:e46766. 2012..In the present study, we performed de novo transcriptome sequencing for the first time to produce a comprehensive dataset for the Ma bamboo (Dendrocalamus latiflorus Munro)...
- Selection of reference genes for quantitative real-time PCR in bamboo (Phyllostachys edulis)Chunjie Fan
State Key Laboratory of Tree Genetics and Breeding, Research Institute of Forestry, Chinese Academy of Forestry, Beijing, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 8:e56573. 2013..Reverse transcription quantitative real-time PCR ((RT-)qPCR) is a widely used method for gene expression analysis. A necessary prerequisite of exact and reliable data is the accurate choice of reference genes...
- Fractionation and characterization of hemicelluloses from young bamboo (Phyllostachys pubescens Mazel) leavesHong Peng
Biomass Engineering Research Center, Ministry of Education, Nanchang University, Nanchang, Jiangxi 330047, PR China
Carbohydr Polym 95:262-71. 2013..The content of these polysaccharides was found to vary among the fractions depending on the separation method. Finally, the thermal behavior was also discussed...
- Phylogenomic analyses of nuclear genes reveal the evolutionary relationships within the BEP clade and the evidence of positive selection in PoaceaeLei Zhao
Key Laboratory of Biodiversity and Biogeography, Kunming Institute of Botany, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Kunming, Yunnan, China
PLoS ONE 8:e64642. 2013..In summary, this study demonstrates the power of phylogenomic approach to shed lights on the evolutionary relationships within the BEP clade, and offers valuable insights into adaptive evolution of the grass family...
- Lignin removal and benzene-alcohol extraction effects on lignin measurements of the hydrothermal pretreated bamboo substrateX J Ma
College of Material Engineering, Fujian Agriculture and Forestry University, Fuzhou 350002, PR China
Bioresour Technol 151:244-8. 2014....
- Potential sources of sugar for the phlebotomine sandfly Lutzomyia youngi (Diptera: Psychodidae) in a Colombian coffee plantationB Alexander
, Cali, Colombia
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 88:543-9. 1994..Although some flies also took sugar from red-flowered balsam (Impatiens balsamina) and bamboo (Bambusa angustifolia), none of the insects exposed to plantain (Musa paradisiaca) gave a positive result unless the ..
- Long-term intensive management increased carbon occluded in phytolith (PhytOC) in bamboo forest soilsZhang Ting Huang
Zhejiang Provincial Key Laboratory of Carbon Cycling in Forest Ecosystems and Carbon Sequestration, Zhejiang A and F University, Lin an 311300, China
Sci Rep 4:3602. 2014..Our data clearly demonstrate the decadal scale management effect on PhytOC accumulation, suggesting that heavy mulching is a potential method for increasing long-term organic C storage in soils for mitigating global climate change...
- Cr(VI) removal from aqueous solution with bamboo charcoal chemically modified by iron and cobalt with the assistance of microwaveWei Wang
State Key Laboratory of Pollution Control and Resources Reuse, College of Environmental Science and Engineering, Tongji University, Shanghai 200092, China
J Environ Sci (China) 25:1726-35. 2013..Thermodynamic parameters showed that the adsorption of Cr(VI) onto both adsorbents was feasible, spontaneous, and exothermic under the studied conditions. The spent Co-Fe-MBC could be readily regenerated for reuse...
- Enzymatic acylation of isoorientin and isovitexin from bamboo-leaf extracts with fatty acids and antiradical activity of the acylated derivativesXiang Ma
Department of Food Science and Engineering, School of Science and Engineering, Jinan University, Number 601 Huangpu Road West, Guangzhou 510632, People s Republic of China
J Agric Food Chem 60:10844-9. 2012..Introducing an acyl group into isoorientin and isovitexin significantly improved their lipophilicity but reduced their antiradical activity...
- Autohydrolysis of bamboo (Dendrocalamus giganteus Munro) culm for the production of xylo-oligosaccharidesXiao Xiao
Northwest A and F University, 712100 Yangling, China
Bioresour Technol 138:63-70. 2013..The result demonstrated that the yield of xylo-oligosaccharides obtained by autohydrolysis depends on the reaction temperature and time...
- New species and new records of Tetranychidae (Acarina, Prostigmata) from ThailandHtar Htar Naing
Department of Entomology, Faculty of Agriculture, Kasetsart University, 50 Ngam Wong Wan Road, Chatuchak, Bangkok 10900, Thailand Email unknown
Zootaxa 3802:257-75. 2014..nov. They were collected on Ipomoea aquatica, Bambusa multiplex and Saccharum officinarum, respectively. New records and new hosts are also mentioned.
- Bamboo shoot preservation for enhancing its business potential and local economy: a reviewLalit M Bal
Centre for Rural Development and Technology, Indian Institute of Technology, Hauz Khas, New Delhi, India
Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 52:804-14. 2012..Also, knowledge gaps identified in this paper would give impetus to new academic and R&D activities, in turn generating an innovative job profile in the food industry as well as rural entrepreneurship...
- Novel application of bamboo-based fibers in a biological contact oxidation processXiaoming Zou
College of Life Science, JingGangShan University, Ji an 343009, China State Key Laboratory of Pollution Control and Resource Reuse, College of Environmental Science and Engineering, Tongji University, 1239 Siping Road, Shanghai 200092, China E mail
Water Sci Technol 69:1534-40. 2014..Furthermore, studies demonstrated that the biofilm development difference showed good correlation with their specific area and relative oxygen content but not with their tenacity and antimicrobial activity. ..
- [Natural regeneration and its affecting factors of Fargesia robusta clone population after Wenchuan earthquake in 2008]Ning Miao
Ministry of Education Key Laboratory of Bioresource and Eco environment, College of Life Sciences, Sichuan University, Chengdu 610065, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 23:985-90. 2012....
- Prebiotic activity of polysaccharides extracted from Gigantochloa levis (Buluh beting) shootsAida Firdaus Muhammad Nurul Azmi
Department of Microbiology, Faculty Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences, Universiti Putra Malaysia, Serdang, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
Molecules 17:1635-51. 2012..acidophilus ATCC 4356 as compared to the use of FOS. Survivality of S. choleraesuis JCM 6977 was found to be slower in both BSCP and FOS. Study conducted reflects a good sign for the BSCP to be exploited as a promising prebiotic...
- Improving Anammox start-up with bamboo charcoalChong Jun Chen
Institute of Environmental Science and Technology, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310029, PR China
Chemosphere 89:1224-9. 2012..5 times and 12.3 times greater than that in CK and SP reactor, respectively. BC addition could accelerate the start-up of Anammox and significantly increase the Anammox bacteria number...
- Transposable elements in Phyllostachys pubescens (Poaceae) genome survey sequences and the full-length cDNA sequences, and their association with simple-sequence repeatsM B Zhou
The Nurturing Station for the State Key Laboratory of Subtropical Silviculture, Zhejiang A and F University, Linan, Zhejiang Province, P R China
Genet Mol Res 10:3026-37. 2011..Our data provide a glimpse of the structure and evolution of P. pubescens genome, although large-scale sequencing of the genome would be required to fully understand the architecture of the P. pubescens genome...
- Effect of arbuscular mycorrhizal inoculations on seedling growth and biomass productivity of two bamboo speciesAnuradha Jha
National Research Centre for Agroforestry, Near Pahuj Dam, Gwalior Road, Jhansi, UP 284 003 India
Indian J Microbiol 52:281-5. 2012A study was conducted to identify suitable arbuscular mycorrhizal (AM) fungi for inoculation of Bambusa bambos and Dendrocalamus strictus at nursery stage for increasing growth and productivity...
- Morphology and properties of hybrid composites based on polypropylene/polylactic acid blend and bamboo fiberZhang Ying-Chen
Henan Key Laboratory of Textile Materials, College of Textiles, ZhongYuan University, Henan ZhengZhou 450007, China
Bioresour Technol 101:7944-50. 2010..The XRD and DSC results showed that spread and phases in the composites preserved crystallization. The good rheological, morphological and thermal properties obtained when the ratio of PP/PLA/BF/MAH-g-PP was 48.75/13/35/3.25...
- The maximum height of grasses is determined by rootsKun Fang Cao
Key Laboratory of Tropical Forest Ecology, Xishuangbanna Tropical Botanical Garden, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Menglun, Mengla, Yunnan Province 666303, China
Ecol Lett 15:666-72. 2012..Our results established the critical importance of root pressure in the tallest grass species and provide a new basis for understanding the limits for plant growth...
- Evaluation of bamboo shoot peptide preparation with angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitory and antioxidant abilities from byproducts of canned bamboo shootsLianliang Liu
Department of Food Science and Nutrition, School of Biosystems Engineering and Food Science, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, 310058 Zhejiang, PR China
J Agric Food Chem 61:5526-33. 2013..This study provides further examples of utilization of byproducts from the processing of canned bamboo shoots for the prevention of hypertension and attenuation of oxidative stress...
- Assessment of genetic diversity of landraces of Dendrocalamus hamiltonii using AFLP markers and association with biochemical traitsS D Waikhom
Institute of Bioresource and Sustainable Development, Imphal, India
Genet Mol Res 11:2107-21. 2012..694, P < 0.01). Thus, we found association of DNA markers with antioxidant activities and total cyanide content. These results could be of use for the identification of superior genotypes with desirable traits...
- Purification of protein AP-toxin from Arthrinium phaeospermum causing blight in Bambusa pervariabilis × Dendrocalamopisis grandis and its metabolic effects on four bamboo varietiesShu Jiang Li
College of Forestry, Sichuan Agricultural University, Ya an 625014, China
Phytopathology 103:135-45. 2013b>Bambusa pervariabilis × Dendrocalamopisis grandis blight is caused by a toxin produced by the fungus Arthrinium phaeospermum...
- [Photosynthetic parameters and chlorophyll fluorescence characteristics of Pleioblastus kongosanensis f. aureostriaus under drought stress]Juan Li
State Forestry Administration Key Laboratory of Bamboo and Rattan Science and Technology, International Centre for Bamboo and Rattan, Beijing, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 22:1395-402. 2011..It was suggested that P. kongosanensis could grow well on the soil with relative moisture content > or = 12% and drought duration less than 25 d...
- Bamboo salt has in vitro anticancer activity in HCT-116 cells and exerts anti-metastatic effects in vivoXin Zhao
Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Pusan National University, Busan, South Korea
J Med Food 16:9-19. 2013..Additionally, the anticancer, anti-inflammatory, and anti-metastatic effects of the 1× and 3× bamboo salts were stronger than those of the purified and solar salts...
- Kinetic study of pentosan solubility during heating and reacting processes of steam treatment of green bambooXiaolin Luo
College of Material Engineering, Fujian Agriculture and Forestry University FAFU, Fuzhou 350002, China
Bioresour Technol 130:769-76. 2013..After using f(P) to combine reaction temperature and time into a single factor, comparative result showed that steam treatment is more effective for removing pentosan compared with hot water extraction...
- Bamboo-dominated forests of the southwest Amazon: detection, spatial extent, life cycle length and flowering wavesAnelena L de Carvalho
Graduate Program in Forest Science, National Institute for Amazon Research, Cruzeiro do Sul, Brazil
PLoS ONE 8:e54852. 2013..This may be a consequence of allochronic divergence from fewer ancestral populations and suggests a long history of widespread bamboo in the southwest Amazon...
- Bars to jars: bamboo value chains in CameroonVerina Ingram
Centre for International Forestry Research CIFOR, BP 2008, Messa, Yaounde, Cameroon
Ambio 42:320-33. 2013..two African indigenous species (alpine Yushania alpina and savannah Oxytenanthera abyssinica) and exotic (Bambusa vulgaris spp.) bamboos were identified as most utilized...
- Grappling the high altitude for safe edible bamboo shoots with rich nutritional attributes and escaping cyanogenic toxicitySayanika Devi Waikhom
Institute of Bioresources and Sustainable Development IBSD, Takyelpat, Imphal, Manipur 795001, India
Biomed Res Int 2013:289285. 2013..Importantly, Dendrocalamus species are shown to be rich in TCC irrespective of the growing altitude while Bambusa species are found to have moderate level of TCC...
- Bamboo dominance reduces tree regeneration in a disturbed tropical forestPanadda Larpkern
Department of Ecology and Natural Resource Management, The Norwegian University of Life Sciences, As, Norway
Oecologia 165:161-8. 2011..We examined the effects of bamboos (Bambusa tulda and Cephalostachyum pergracile) and their litter on the overall woody seedling abundance, species richness ..
- [Fractal features of soil aggregate structure in slope farmland with different de-farming patterns in South Sichuan Province of China]Jing yan Wang
Sichuan Provincial Key Laboratory of Ecological Forestry Engineering, Sichuan Agricultural University, Ya an 625014, Sichuan, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 21:1410-6. 2010..aggregate structure (D) in the slope farmland (CK), its 5-year de-farmed Neosinocalamus affinis plantation (NAP), Bambusa pervariabilis x Dendrocalamopsis oldhami plantation (BDP), Alnus crenastogyne + Neosinocalamus affinis plantation ..
- Evaluation of steam-treated giant bamboo for production of fermentable sugarsMaría García-Aparicio
Dept of Process Engineering, Stellenbosch University, Private Bag X1 Stellenbosch 7602 South Africa
Biotechnol Prog 27:641-9. 2011..25) if the microorganism possesses robust fermentative characteristics as well as a high resistance to pretreatment by-products...
- [Research on the features of DNA methylation in leaves of different chronological ages of Phyllostachys heterocycla var. pubescens based on the method of MSAP]Guang Ping Guo
Research Institute of Subtropical Forestry, Chinese Academy of Forestry, Fuyang 311400, China
Yi Chuan 33:794-800. 2011..Throuygh ANOVA it showed that 6 pairs (E3/HM2, E3/HM6, E3/HM7, E4/HM5, E4/HM6 and E5/HM5) of primers had obvious influence on DNA methylation for ones with different chronological ages and could be used for further research...
- [Effects of simulated nitrogen deposition on soil respiration in a Neosinocalamus affinis plantation in rainy area of west China]Ren Hong Li
Sichuan Province Key Laboratory of Forestry Ecological Engineering, College of Forestry, Sichuan Agricultural University, Ya an 625014, Sichuan, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 21:1649-55. 2010..6% , 46.7%, and 50.5% lower than that in CK (2.17 x 10(4) kg x hm(-2)), and the Q10 value of soil respiration rate in treatments 0, 50, 150, and 300 kg x hm(-2) x a(-1) was 3.72, 3.51, 2.95, and 2.71, respectively...
- A satellite RNA associated with bamboo mosaic potexvirusN S Lin
Institute of Botany, Academia Sinica, Nankang, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Virology 202:707-14. 1994..RNA molecule with properties of a satellite RNA was found in an isolate of bamboo mosaic potexvirus (BaMV-V) from Bambusa vulgaris McClure...
- [Effects of wilderness-training Ailuropoda melanoleuca's feeding and artificial harvesting on population structure of Fargesia robusta clone]Shi qiang Zhou
China Conservation and Research Center for the Giant Panda, Wolong 623006, Sichuan, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 21:1709-17. 2010..05). The young and adult bamboos in artificial harvesting plot were far poor in shoot quality, and A. melanoleuca rejected to feed with them...
- Insights into the bamboo genome: syntenic relationships to rice and sorghumYi Jie Gui
Institute of Crop Science and Institute of Bioinformatics, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310029, China
J Integr Plant Biol 52:1008-15. 2010..2%) in bamboo is similar to that in rice. Both rice and sorghum exhibit high genomic synteny with bamboo, which suggests that rice and sorghum may be useful as models for decoding Bambusoideae genomes...
- Accessibility of Enzymatically Delignified Bambusa bambos for Efficient Hydrolysis at Minimum Cellulase Loading: An Optimization StudyArindam Kuila
Microbial Biotechnology and Downstream Processing Laboratory, Agricultural and Food Engineering Department, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur 721 302, India
Enzyme Res 2011:805795. 2011In the present investigation, Bambusa bambos was used for optimization of enzymatic pretreatment and saccharification. Maximum enzymatic delignification achieved was 84%, after 8 h of incubation time...
- Comparative study of alkali-soluble hemicelluloses isolated from bamboo (Bambusa rigida)Jia Long Wen
College of Forestry, Northwest A and F University, Yangling 712100, China Institute of Biomass Chemistry and Technology, Beijing Forest University, Beijing 100083, China
Carbohydr Res 346:111-20. 2011..These were extracted from bamboo (Bambusa rigida) with 1M NaOH, KOH, LiOH, NH(3)·H(2)O, (CH(3)CH(2))(3)N, Ca(OH)(2), Ba(OH)(2), respectively, at 50°C for ..
- [Effects of simulated nitrogen deposition on soil respiration in a Bambusa pervariabilis x Dendrocala mopsi plantation in rainy area of West China]Li Hua Tu
Sichuan Province Key Laboratory of Ecological Engineering, College of Forestry, Sichuan Agricultural University, Ya an 625014, Sichuan, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 22:829-36. 2011..in Rainy Area of West China to understand the effects of nitrogen (N) deposition on the soil respiration in a Bambusa pervariabilis x Dendrocala mopsi plantation. Four treatments were installed, i. e...
- Characterization of copper/zinc and manganese superoxide dismutase in green bamboo (Bambusa oldhamii): Cloning, expression and regulationTsung Han Wu
Institute of Plant Biology, National Taiwan University, Taipei 10617, Taiwan
Plant Physiol Biochem 49:195-200. 2011..C.126.96.36.199), the first line of antioxidant enzymes, in green bamboo (Bambusa oldhamii)...
- Organochlorine pesticide residues in bamboo shootZi Wu Guo
Research Institute of Subtropical Forest, Chinese Academy of Forestry, Fuyang 311400, Zhejiang, People s Republic of China
J Sci Food Agric 91:593-6. 2011..Pesticide use is prevalent in the production of edible bamboo shoots, which are exported widely from China. To evaluate the quality of Chinese bamboo shoots we determined the residual content of some OCPs in shoot samples...
- [The bamboo Merostachys fischeriana (Bambusoideae: Bambuseae) as a canopy habitat for ants of Neotropical Montane Forest]Roberth Fagundes
Lab de Ecologia Evolutiva de Insetos de Dossel e Sucessão Natural, DEBIO, ICEB, Univ Federal de Ouro Preto, Ouro Preto, MG, Brasil
Neotrop Entomol 39:906-11. 2010..The plant's morphology allowed the occurrence of additional species of ants in the canopy and influenced the composition of the entire ant assemblage...
- Identification of an NAP-like transcription factor BeNAC1 regulating leaf senescence in bamboo (Bambusa emeiensis'Viridiflavus')Yunxia Chen
Institute of Bamboo Research, Nanjing Forestry University, Nanjing 210037, China State Key Laboratory of Genetic Engineering and Institute of Plant Biology, School of Life Sciences, Fudan University, 220 Handan Road, Shanghai 200433, China
Physiol Plant 142:361-71. 2011..In this study, an NAC gene was isolated and characterized from the bamboo Bambusa emeiensis'Viridiflavus' and tentatively named BeNAC1...
- Adsorption of dimethyl sulfide from aqueous solution by a cost-effective bamboo charcoalMing Wang
Laboratory of Advanced Materials, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
J Hazard Mater 190:1009-15. 2011..6 wt%) was detected in bamboo charcoal-elements not found in PAC. Acidic functional group and specific adsorption sites would be responsible for the strong adsorption of dimethyl sulfide onto bamboo charcoal of Dendrocalamus origin...
- Preparation of monoclonal antibody bank against whole water-soluble proteins from rapid-growing bamboo shootsYu Jen Wu
Department of Biochemical Science and Technology, Institute of Microbiology and Biochemistry, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
Proteomics 6:5898-902. 2006..An improved two-stage strategy was employed to enrich those poor immunogenic or lower expressed proteins. Totally, we obtained a bank of 192 mAb which were identified as distinctive to each other by 2-DE and immunostaining...
- Toxicological implications of aqueous extract of Bambusa vulgaris leaves in pregnant Dutch rabbitsM T Yakubu
Phytomedicine and Toxicology Research Laboratory, University of Ilorin, Ilorin, Nigeria
Hum Exp Toxicol 28:591-8. 2009Aqueous extract of Bambusa vulgaris L. leaves at 250 and 500 mg/kg body weight was investigated for toxic effects in pregnant rabbits. Apparently healthy, female rabbits (Dutch) weighing between 1.62 and 1...
- The effect of bamboo extract on hepatic biotransforming enzymes--findings from an obese-diabetic mouse modelCheryl L K Koide
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, HI 96813, USA
J Ethnopharmacol 133:37-45. 2011....
- New species and records of Shrungabeeja from southern ChinaKai Zhang
Department of Plant Pathology, Shandong Agricultural University, Taian, 271018, China
Mycologia 101:573-8. 2009..S. vadirajensis is recorded for the first time from China. A key to the three known species of Shrungabeeja is provided...
- Molecular cloning and functional identification of invertase isozymes from green bamboo Bambusa oldhamiiChang Wen Hsieh
Institute of Microbiology and Biochemistry, National Taiwan University, Taipei 106, Taiwan
J Agric Food Chem 54:3101-7. 2006Three Bo beta fruct cDNAs encoding acid invertases were cloned from shoots of the green bamboo Bambusa oldhamii...
- Effects of Bambusae caulis in Liquamen on the development of atopic dermatitis-like skin lesions in hairless miceXu Feng Qi
Department of Environmental Medical Biology, Wonju College of Medicine, Yonsei University, Wonju, Gangwon 220 701, Republic of Korea
J Ethnopharmacol 123:195-200. 2009..It is an important traditional herbal medicine used to treat coughs and asthma in East Asia. In recent years, it has been studied for its anti-inflammatory, anti-allergenic, and immune-regulating properties...
- Design of a low-cost bamboo wellS K Shakya
Department of Soil and Water Engineering, Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana, Punjab, India
Ground Water 47:310-3. 2009..Excellent performance, low cost, and good service life justify the use of a bamboo well for ground water withdrawal in developing countries...
- Subcellular localization and expression of bamboo mosaic virus satellite RNA-encoded proteinParamasivan Vijaya Palani
Institute of Plant and Microbial Biology, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan 115, ROC
J Gen Virol 90:507-18. 2009..The expression kinetics of the P20 protein was similar to but slightly earlier than that of CP in co-infected Bambusa oldhamii protoplasts and Nicotiana benthamiana leaves...
- A recent survey of mosquito fauna in Guangdong Province,southern China, with a review of past records [corrected]L Q Jin
Department of Pathogen Biology, Shantou University Medical College, Shantou, China
Med Vet Entomol 22:359-63. 2008..pallidothorax Theobald, Cx quinquefasciatus Say, Cx sitiens Wiedemann, Lutzia fuscanus Wiedemann and Tripteroides bambusa (Yamada). Armigeres subalbatus (Coquillett) was found only in containers in villages, whereas Ae...
- Arsenic speciation in moso bamboo shoot--a terrestrial plant that contains organoarsenic speciesRui Zhao
Department of Chemistry, Key Laboratory for Atomic and Molecular Nanosciences of Education Ministry, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, P R China
Sci Total Environ 371:293-303. 2006..The study provides useful information for better understanding of the distribution of arsenic species in terrestrial plants...
- Molecular diversity of bamboo-associated fungi isolated from JapanDoungporn Morakotkarn
The International Center for Biotechnology, Osaka University, Osaka, Japan
FEMS Microbiol Lett 266:10-9. 2007..These findings reveal that bamboos are a huge reservoir of microorganisms that should be extensively investigated...
- [Rapid determination of Klason lignin content in bamboo by NIR]Gai yun Li
Research Institute of Wood Industry, Chinese Academy of Forestry, Beijing, China
Guang Pu Xue Yu Guang Pu Fen Xi 27:1977-80. 2007..The standard error of calibration (SEC) and standard error of prediction (SEP) was 0.36% and 0.59%, respectively. It was found that the lignin content in bamboo could be determined rapidly with reasonable accuracy by the NIR method...
- Laboratory study on the effect of deltamethrin WG and WP formulations against Anopheles maculatus Theobald (Diptera:Culicidae) on rough and smooth surfaces of bamboo wallA Rohani
Medical Entomology Unit, Infectious Disease Research Centre, Institute for Medical Research, 50588 Kuala Lumpur
Trop Biomed 24:77-82. 2007..maculatus up to 14 months post-spraying. Efficacy and residual activity of deltamethrin WG at 25mg/m2 had proved to be the longest on both rough and smooth surfaces of bamboo...
- Experimental evaluation of overhanging bamboo in Anopheles darlingi larval habitat selection in Belize, Central AmericaNicole L Achee
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Department of Preventive Medicine and Biometrics, 4301 Jones Bridge Road, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
J Vector Ecol 31:145-51. 2006..darlingi larval habitat attractiveness but may function as a barrier to surface water flow causing the lodging of debris, the preferred habitat, that will then attract gravid females for oviposition...
- Non-experimental validation of ethnoveterinary plants and indigenous knowledge used for backyard pigs and chickens in Trinidad and TobagoC Lans
BCICS, University of Victoria, Victoria, BC V8W 3R4, Canada
Trop Anim Health Prod 39:375-85. 2007..Leaf decoctions of bois canôt (Cecropia peltata) and bamboo (Bambusa vulgaris) are used for labour pains or leaves are fed as a postpartum cleanser...
- Role of bamboo extract in relieving lipotoxicity and oxidative stress in diabetesJun Panee; Fiscal Year: 2007....