Summary: A plant species in the PIPERACEAE plant family. It is a common spice on foods and is used medicinally to increase gastrointestinal assimilation of other supplements and drugs. PIPERINE is a key component. Black pepper is picked unripe and heaped for a few days to ferment. White Pepper is the ripe fruit dehulled by maceration in water.
Publications138 found, 100 shown here
- A rapid method for isolation of piperine from the fruits of Piper nigrum LinnNiranjan Kanaki
Department of Phytochemistry and Pharmacognosy, B V Patel Pharmaceutical Education and Research Development Centre, Thaltej Gandhinagar Highway, Thaltej, Ahmedabad, 380 054, Gujarat, India
J Nat Med 62:281-3. 2008A simple, rapid and efficient method has been developed for the isolation of piperine from the fruits of Piper nigrum. The method involves extraction of the fruit powder with glacial acetic acid, from which piperine is partitioned into ..
- Antioxidant efficacy of black pepper (Piper nigrum L.) and piperine in rats with high fat diet induced oxidative stressR S Vijayakumar
Department of Biochemistry, Annamalai University, Annamalai Nagar, Tamilnadu, India
Redox Rep 9:105-10. 2004The present study was aimed to explore the effect of black pepper (Piper nigrum L.) on tissue lipid peroxidation, enzymic and non-enzymic antioxidants in rats fed a high-fat diet...
- Amides from Piper nigrum L. with dissimilar effects on melanocyte proliferation in-vitroZhixiu Lin
Department of Pharmacy, King s College London, 150 Stamford Street, London SE1 9NN, UK
J Pharm Pharmacol 59:529-36. 2007..b>Piper nigrum L...
- Endophytic bacterial flora in root and stem tissues of black pepper (Piper nigrum L.) genotype: isolation, identification and evaluation against Phytophthora capsiciR Aravind
Indian Institute of Spices Research, Calicut, Kerala, India
Lett Appl Microbiol 48:58-64. 2009To isolate and identify black pepper (Piper nigrum L) associated endophytic bacteria antagonistic to Phytophthora capsici causing foot rot disease.
- Piperine, a piperidine alkaloid from Piper nigrum re-sensitizes P-gp, MRP1 and BCRP dependent multidrug resistant cancer cellsSen Li
College of Pharmacy and Tianjin Key Laboratory of Molecular Drug Research, Nankai University, Tianjin 300071, People s Republic of China
Phytomedicine 19:83-7. 2011..These results suggest that piperine can reverse MDR by multiple mechanisms and it may be a promising lead compound for future studies...
- In vitro investigation of the potential immunomodulatory and anti-cancer activities of black pepper (Piper nigrum) and cardamom (Elettaria cardamomum)Amin F Majdalawieh
Department of Biology and Chemistry, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, American University of Sharjah, Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
J Med Food 13:371-81. 2010..We anticipate that black pepper and cardamom constituents can be used as potential therapeutic tools to regulate inflammatory responses and prevent/attenuate carcinogenesis...
- Pellitorine, a potential anti-cancer lead compound against HL6 and MCT-7 cell lines and microbial transformation of piperine from Piper NigrumGwendoline Cheng Lian Ee
Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Universiti Putra Malaysia, Selangor, Malaysia
Molecules 15:2398-404. 2010Pellitorine (1), which was isolated from the roots of Piper nigrum, showed strong cytotoxic activities against HL60 and MCT-7 cell lines...
- Inhibitory effects of black pepper (Piper nigrum) extracts and compounds on human tumor cell proliferation, cyclooxygenase enzymes, lipid peroxidation and nuclear transcription factor-kappa-BYunbao Liu
Bioactive Natural Products and Phytoceuticals, Department of Horticulture and National Food Safety and Toxicology Center, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
Nat Prod Commun 5:1253-7. 2010Black pepper (Piper nigrum) and hot pepper (Capsicum spp.) are widely used in traditional medicines. Although hot Capsicum spp...
- Antibacterial activity of natural spices on multiple drug resistant Escherichia coli isolated from drinking water, BangladeshShahedur Rahman
Department of Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering, Islamic University, Kushtia, Bangladesh
Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob 10:10. 2011..The present work aimed to find out the antimicrobial activity of natural spices on multi-drug resistant Escherichia coli isolates...
- ACAT inhibition of alkamides identified in the fruits of Piper nigrumMun Chual Rho
Natural Medicine Research Center, Korea Research Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology, 52 Eoundong, Yusong gu, Daejon 305 333, Republic of Korea
Phytochemistry 68:899-903. 2007In this study, via a bioactivity-guided fractionation of MeOH extracts of the fruits of Piper nigrum, alkamide (5) and five previously-identified alkamides were isolated...
- Chemistry and in vitro antioxidant activity of volatile oil and oleoresins of black pepper (Piper nigrum)I P S Kapoor
Chemistry Department, DDU Gorakhpur University, Gorakhpur, India
J Agric Food Chem 57:5358-64. 2009Essential oil and oleoresins (ethanol and ethyl acetate) of Piper nigrum were extracted by using Clevenger and Soxhlet apparatus, respectively...
- Alkamides from the fruits of Piper longum and Piper nigrum displaying potent cell adhesion inhibitionSeung Woong Lee
Natural Medicine Research Center, Korea Research Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Daejeon 305 806, Republic of Korea
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 18:4544-6. 2008..Their compounds 3-5, 7, and 8 inhibited potently the direct binding between sICAM-1 and LFA-1 of THP-1 cells in a dose-dependent manner, with IC(50) values of 10.7, 8.8, 13.4, 13.5, and 6.0 microg/mL, respectively...
- Melanogenesis stimulation in murine B16 melanoma cells by Piper nigrum leaf extract and its lignan constituentsHideaki Matsuda
School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kinki University, Higashiosaka, Osaka, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 27:1611-6. 2004A methanolic extract from the leaves of Piper nigrum L. showed a significant stimulatory effect on melanogenesis in cultured murine B16 melanoma cells...
- Nigramides A-S, dimeric amide alkaloids from the roots of Piper nigrumKun Wei
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Toho University, Miyama 2 2 1, Funabashi, Chiba 274 8510, Japan
J Org Chem 70:1164-76. 2005..amide alkaloids possessing a cyclobutane ring, nigramides P-S (17-20), have been isolated from the roots of Piper nigrum. Their structures were elucidated on the basis of their spectroscopic data...
- Protective effects of Piper nigrum and Vinca rosea in alloxan induced diabetic ratsM Kaleem
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Life Sciences, AMU, Aligarh 202 002
Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 49:65-71. 2005In the present study aqueous extract of Piper nigrum seeds and Vinca rosea flowers were administered orally to alloxan induced diabetic rats once a day for 4 weeks...
- Mechanism-based inhibition of human liver microsomal cytochrome P450 2D6 (CYP2D6) by alkamides of Piper nigrum- Subehan
Institute of Natural Medicine, University of Toyama, Toyama, Japan
Planta Med 72:527-32. 2006Nineteen alkamides isolated from Piper nigrum L. were tested for their mechanism-based inhibition on human liver microsomal dextromethorphan O-demethylation activity, a prototype marker for cytochrome P450 2D6 (CYP2D6)...
- The effect of a synergistic concentration of a Piper nigrum extract used in conjunction with pyrethrum upon gene expression in Drosophila melanogasterH R Jensen
Department of Biology, University of Ottawa, Center for Advanced Research in Environmental Genomics, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Insect Mol Biol 15:329-39. 2006An ethyl acetate extract of Piper nigrum L. (Piperaceae) peppercorns was tested as a synergist for the botanical insecticide pyrethrum. A high synergist ratio of 11...
- Effect of food seasoning spices mixture on biomarkers of oxidative stress in tissues of fructose-fed insulin-resistant ratsR Suganthi
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Annamalai University, Annamalai Nagar, Tamil Nadu, India
J Med Food 10:149-53. 2007..The positive effect of SM on the oxidant-antioxidant balance could be attributed to the active constituents of the different spices present in the mixture...
- Biochemical properties of polysaccharides from black pepperHyug Chun
Graduate School of Biotechnology, Korea University, Sungbuk Ku, Seoul
Biol Pharm Bull 25:1203-8. 2002The purified polysaccharides from Piper nigrum were prepared as follows: a hot water extract of pepper seeds was fractionated by ultrafiltration with a 5-kDa-membrane cartridge...
- Insecticidal amides from fruits of Piper nigrum LinnBina S Siddiqui
HEJ Research Institute of Chemistry, International Centre for Chemical Sciences, University of Karachi, Karachi 75270, Pakistan
Nat Prod Res 19:143-50. 2005The petroleum ether and ethyl acetate fractions of dried ground seeds of Piper nigrum Linn...
- Antibacterial constituents from the berries of Piper nigrumS Venkat Reddy
Natural Product Laboratory, Indian Institute of Chemical Technology, Hyderabad 500 007, India
Phytomedicine 11:697-700. 2004b>Piper nigrum finds an extensive application in antibacterial preparations belonging to Ayurvedic system of medicine. A bioguided extraction and fractionation of the petroleum ether extract of the berries of P...
- Efficacy of piperine, an alkaloidal constituent from Piper nigrum on erythrocyte antioxidant status in high fat diet and antithyroid drug induced hyperlipidemic ratsRamasamy Subramaniam Vijayakumar
Department of Biochemistry, Annamalai University, Annamalainagar 608 002, Tamilnadu, India
Cell Biochem Funct 24:491-8. 2006..Thus, our results indicate that piperine supplementation markedly protects erythrocytes from oxidative stress by improving the antioxidant status in HFD fed antithyroid drug treated rats...
- Repellent activity of essential oils against cockroaches (Dictyoptera: Blattidae, Blattellidae, and Blaberidae) in ThailandUsavadee Thavara
National Institute of Health, Department of Medical Sciences, Ministry of Public Health, Nonthaburi, Thailand
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 38:663-73. 2007..Mansf., Citrus hystrix DC., Curcuma longa L., Litsea cubeba (Lour.) Pers., Piper nigrum L., Psidium guajava L...
- Piperine lowers the serum concentrations of thyroid hormones, glucose and hepatic 5'D activity in adult male miceS Panda
School of Life Sciences, Devi Ahilya University, Indore, India
Horm Metab Res 35:523-6. 2003Piperine, the main alkaloid of Piper nigrum fruits, was evaluated for its thyroid hormone and glucose regulatory efficacy in adult male Swiss albino mice. Its daily oral administration (2...
- Potential use of Piper nigrum ethanol extract against pyrethroid-resistant Aedes aegypti larvaeNaomi Kato Simas
Nucleo de Pesquisas de Produtos Naturais, Centro de Ciencias da Saude, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 40:405-7. 2007Fractionation of Piper nigrum ethanol extract, biomonitored by assays on pyrethroid-resistant Aedes aegypti larvae yielded isolation of the larvicidal amides piperolein-A and piperine. Comparing LC50 values, the ethanol extract (0...
- CYP3A4 inhibitory activity of new bisalkaloids, dipiperamides D and E, and cognates from white pepperSachiko Tsukamoto
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kanazawa University, 13 1 Takara machi, Kanazawa 920 0934, Japan
Bioorg Med Chem 10:2981-5. 2002..E, were isolated as inhibitors of a drug metabolizing enzyme cytochrome P450 (CYP) 3A4 from the white pepper, Piper nigrum. Their structures were elucidated by spectroscopic methods...
- Testosterone 5alpha-reductase inhibitory active constituents of Piper nigrum leafNoriko Hirata
School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kinki University, 3 4 1 Kowakae, Higashiosaka, Osaka 577 8502, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 30:2402-5. 2007Previously we reported that Piper nigrum leaf extract showed a potent stimulation effect on melanogenesis and that (-)-cubebin (1) and (-)-3,4-dimethoxy-3,4-desmethylenedioxycubebin (2) were isolated as active constituents...
- Cobalt(II)-catalyzed intermolecular Diels-Alder reaction of piperineKun Wei
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Toho University, Funabashi, Chiba
Org Lett 7:2833-5. 2005..For elucidation of the distinction, different cobalt-catalyzed mechanisms were proposed for the Diels-Alder dimerization of piperine...
- Pungent agents from Szechuan peppers excite sensory neurons by inhibiting two-pore potassium channelsDiana M Bautista
Department of Physiology, University of California, San Francisco, 600 16th St, San Francisco, California 94143 2140, USA
Nat Neurosci 11:772-9. 2008....
- Effect of spices on lipid metabolism in 1,2-dimethylhydrazine-induced rat colon carcinogenesisN Nalini
Department of Biochemistry, Annamalai University, Annamalainagar, Tamilnadu, India
J Med Food 9:237-45. 2006..We investigated the effect of red chilli (Capsicum annum L.), cumin (Cuminum cyminum L.), and black pepper (Piper nigrum L.) on colon cancer induced in rats by a colon-specific carcinogen, 1,2-dimethylhydrazine (DMH)...
- Antioxidant activity of commonly consumed plant foods of India: contribution of their phenolic contentRita Saxena
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, National Institute of Nutrition, Hyderabad, India
Int J Food Sci Nutr 58:250-60. 2007..86 and r2 =74%, respectively) and dehusked legumes (r=-0.65 and r2 = 42.2%, respectively). The results suggest that phenolics may contribute significantly to the AOA of some plant foods, such as spices and dehusked legumes...
- Effects of fragrance inhalation on sympathetic activity in normal adultsShinichiro Haze
Product Development Center, Shiseido Co, Ltd, Hayabuchi, Yokohama, Japan
Jpn J Pharmacol 90:247-53. 2002..06), while fragrance inhalation of rose oil caused a 30% decrease in adrenaline concentration (P<0.01). Our results indicate that fragrance inhalation of essential oils may modulate sympathetic activity in normal adults...
- Fumigant toxicity of essential oils from some common spices against pulse beetle, Callosobruchus chinensis (Coleoptera: Bruchidae)Mukesh Kumar Chaubey
Department of Zoology, Deen Dayal Upadhyay Gorakhpur University, UP, India
J Oleo Sci 57:171-9. 2008..seven common spices, Anethum graveolens, Cuminum cyminum, Illicium verum, Myristica fragrans, Nigella sativa, Piper nigrum and Trachyspermum ammi was isolated and its insecticidal, oviposition, egg hatching and developmental ..
- Chemical compositions and antioxidant properties of essential oils from nine species of Turkish plants obtained by supercritical carbon dioxide extraction and steam distillationUmmihan Topal
Department of Applied Chemistry and Biochemistry, Kumamoto University, Kumamoto, Japan
Int J Food Sci Nutr 59:619-34. 2008..Rosmarinus officinalis L., Cuminum cyminum L., Piper nigrum L., Lavandula stoechas spp., Foeniculum vulgare, Pimpinella anisum L...
- Binding of bioactive phytochemical piperine with human serum albumin: a spectrofluorometric studyDodda Venkatanna Suresh
Department of Biochemistry and Nutrition, Central Food Technological Research Institute, Mysore 570 020, Karnataka, India
Biopolymers 86:265-75. 2007Piperine, the bioactive alkaloid compound of the spice black pepper (Piper nigrum) exhibits a wide range of beneficial physiological and pharmacological activities...
- UV irradiation affects melanocyte stimulatory activity and protein binding of piperineAmala Soumyanath
Department of Pharmacy, King s College London, Franklin Wilkins Building, 150 Stamford Street, London SE1 9NN, UK
Photochem Photobiol 82:1541-8. 2006Piperine, the major alkaloid of black pepper (Piper nigrum L.; Piperaceae), stimulates melanocyte proliferation and dendrite formation in vitro. This property renders it a potential treatment for the skin depigmentation disorder vitiligo...
- Analysis of Piperaceae germplasm by HPLC and LCMS: a method for isolating and identifying unsaturated amides from Piper spp extractsIan M Scott
Biology Department, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, K1N 6N5, Canada
J Agric Food Chem 53:1907-13. 2005..This allows for a rapid and accurate measure of unsaturated amides, or piperamides, in black pepper, Piper nigrum L., and in wild species from Central America...
- [Control in vitro tick (Boophilus microplus; Acari: Ixodidae) through plant extracts]Victor Alvarez
Ministerio de Agricultura y Ganaderia, Servicio Nacional de Salud Animal, San Jose, Costa Rica
Rev Biol Trop 56:291-302. 2008..The species that produced the highest mortality were Zizigium aromaticum, Morus alba, Piper nigrum and the mixture of Allium sativum- Z. aromaticum (all non-polar); on oviposition: M. alba, P...
- Stability-indicating reversed-phase liquid chromatographic methods for the determination of aconitine and piperine in a polyherbal formulationPallavi Rai
The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, Pharmacy Department, Quality Assurance Laboratory, Centre of Relevance and Excellence in Novel Drug Delivery Systems, G H Patel building, Donor s Plaza, Fatehgunj, Vadodara, Gujarat, India
J AOAC Int 92:1044-54. 2009..of aconitine (ACN) and piperine (PIN) in Mahamrutynjaya rasa, an herbal dosage form containing Aconitum ferox, Piper nigrum, and Piper longum in combination...
- Piperine modulates permeability characteristics of intestine by inducing alterations in membrane dynamics: influence on brush border membrane fluidity, ultrastructure and enzyme kineticsA Khajuria
Manitoba Institute of Cell Biology, Winnipeg, Canada
Phytomedicine 9:224-31. 2002Piperine (1-Piperoyl piperidine) is a major alkaloid of Piper nigrum Linn. and Piper longum Linn. It is shown to possess bioavailability-enhancing activity with various structurally and therapeutically diverse drugs...
- Effects of piperine on gastric acid secretion in albino ratsI M Ononiwu
Department of Pharmacology, College of Health Sciences, University of Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria
Afr J Med Med Sci 31:293-5. 2002Piperine, the pungent principle in Piper nigrum and Piper guinensis was studied for its effect on gastric acid secretion in white albino rats...
- Cytoprotective and immunomodulating properties of piperine on murine splenocytes: an in vitro studyNeelima Pathak
Industrial Toxicology Research Centre, Mahatma Gandhi Marg, P Box 80, Lucknow 226001, India
Eur J Pharmacol 576:160-70. 2007Piper longum Linn. and Piper nigrum Linn. are conventionally used as immuno-enhancers in Indian system of traditional medicine. The underlying mechanism remains unknown...
- Screening for acetylcholinesterase inhibitory activity in plants used in Thai traditional rejuvenating and neurotonic remediesKornkanok Ingkaninan
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Pharmacognosy, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Naresuan University, Phitsanulok 65000, Thailand
J Ethnopharmacol 89:261-4. 2003..At the same concentration, four extracts, i.e. stems of Piper interruptum Opiz., seeds of Piper nigrum L., rootbarks of Butea superba Roxb. and roots of Cassia fistula L...
- Isolation and amplification of genomic DNA from recalcitrant dried berries of black pepper (Piper nigrum L.)--a medicinal spiceK Dhanya
Division of Crop Improvement and Biotechnology, Indian Institute of Spices Research, Calicut, Kerala, 673012, India
Mol Biotechnol 37:165-8. 2007..The protocol has trade implication as it will help in the PCR characterization of traded black peppers from different countries...
- Effect of piperine on the inhibition of nitric oxide (NO) and TNF-alpha productionC R Pradeep
Amala Cancer Research Centre, Thrissur, Kerala, India
Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol 25:337-46. 2003Effect of piperine which is an alkaloid present in plants such as Piper nigrum and Piper longum on the production of nitric oxide (NO) and tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) level was analyzed using in vitro as well as in vivo ..
- Comparative study of Rhodiola preparations on behavioral despair of ratsA Panossian
Swedish Herbal Institute Research and Development, Spårvägen 2, SE 432 96 Askloster, Sweden
Phytomedicine 15:84-91. 2008..RPE cannot provide predictable therapeutic effect due to herb-herb interaction. Moreover, concomitant treatment of RPE with other drugs should also be excluded due to drug-piperine interaction...
- Piperine, the main alkaloid of Thai black pepper, protects against neurodegeneration and cognitive impairment in animal model of cognitive deficit like condition of Alzheimer's diseasePennapa Chonpathompikunlert
Department of Physiology and Graduate School, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen 40002, Thailand
Food Chem Toxicol 48:798-802. 2010..Based on this information, the effect of piperine, a main active alkaloid in fruit of Piper nigrum, on memory performance and neurodegeneration in animal model of Alzheimer's disease have been investigated...
- In vivo effect of piperine on serum and tissue glycoprotein levels in benzo(a)pyrene induced lung carcinogenesis in Swiss albino miceK Selvendiran
Department of Medical Biochemistry, Dr ALM Post Graduate Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Madras, Taramani Campus, Chennai, India
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 19:107-11. 2006..Piperine is a pure, pungent alkaloid constituent of black and long peppers (Piper nigrum and Piper longum), that acts as an antioxidant and anticancer agent by its numerous macromolecules associated ..
- Cloning, DNA sequence, and expression of Aeromonas caviae WS7b chitinase geneAmarila Malik
South East Asian Regional Center for Tropical Biology SEAMEO BIOTROP, Jl Raya Tajur Km 6, Bogor, Indonesia
Mol Biotechnol 23:1-10. 2003..The ability of the chitinase cloned in E. coli to hydrolyze chitin was less than that of the enzyme in its indigenous host...
- Adsorption and removal kinetics of phosphonate from water using natural adsorbentsR Anil Kumar
Department of Science and Humanities, National Institute of Technology Calicut, Kozhikode, Kerala, India
Water Environ Res 82:62-8. 2010..phosphonate is a fungicide used for the control of Phytophthora capsici, which is prevalent in black pepper (Piper nigrum L.). Batch adsorption kinetic experiments were conducted on the adsorption of phosphonate onto the adsorbents...
- Evidence that the nonstructural protein of Tomato spotted wilt virus is the avirulence determinant in the interaction with resistant pepper carrying the TSW geneP Margaria
Istituto di Virologia Vegetale, Sez di Torino, CNR, Strada delle Cacce 73, Torino 10135, Italy
Mol Plant Microbe Interact 20:547-58. 2007..Analysis of another RB strain phenotype allowed us to conclude that local necrotic response is not sufficient for resistance in Capsicum spp. carrying the Tsw gene...
- Phytochemical studies on the seed extract of Piper nigrum LinnMunawwer Rasheed
H E J Research Institute of Chemistry, International Centre for Chemical Sciences, University of Karachi, Karachi 75270, Pakistan
Nat Prod Res 19:703-12. 2005The petroleum ether extract of dried ground seeds of Piper nigrum Linn...
- Protection of stored maize against Sitophilus zeamais (Motsch.) by use of essential oils of spices from CameroonL S Ngamo
Faculty of Sciences, Department of Biological Sciences, , P.O. Box 454, , Cameroon
Meded Rijksuniv Gent Fak Landbouwkd Toegep Biol Wet 66:473-8. 2001..Lamiaceae) 74% after 4 days after ingestion. Piper nigrum (L.) (Piperaceae) killing more than 96% of weevil 48 hours after the contact...
- Molecular target of piperine in the inhibition of lipid droplet accumulation in macrophagesDaisuke Matsuda
Graduate School of Pharmacy, Kitasato University, Shirokane, Tokyo, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 31:1063-6. 2008An alkaloid piperine isolated from the Piper Nigrum was found to inhibit lipid droplet accumulation in mouse macrophages, and especially inhibited cholesteryl ester (CE) synthesis (IC50: 25 microM)...
- Piperine, the potential functional food for mood and cognitive disordersJintanaporn Wattanathorn
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen 40002, Thailand
Food Chem Toxicol 46:3106-10. 2008The effect of piperine, the main alkaloid from piper nigrum, on the central nervous system is not clearly known until now...
- Studies on effect of piperine on oral bioavailability of ampicillin and norfloxacinKunchithapatham Janakiraman
Kunchithapatham Janakiraman, Selection Grade Lecturer, Department of Pharmacy, Annamalai University, Annamalainagar, Tamil Nadu, India
Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med 5:257-62. 2008..These two drugs have low oral bioavailability. Co-administration of Piperine (20mg/kg), an alkaloid from Piper nigrum L. enhanced oral bioavailability of Ampicillin and Norfloxacin in animal model...
- [Potential allelopathic effects of Piper nigrum, Mangifera indica and Clausena lansium]Guijun Yan
College of Environment and Plant Protection, South China University of Tropical Agriculture, Danzhou, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 17:1633-6. 2006With Piper nigrum, Mangifera indica and Clausena lansium as the donators, this paper studied their potential allelopathic effects on the germination and growth of Zea mays, Glycine max, Cucurbita moschata, Arachis hypogaea, Raphanus ..
- Microwave-assisted synthesis of N-isobutyl-4,5-epoxy-2(E)-decenamideNeeraj Gupta
Department of Chemistry and Centre of Advanced Studies in Chemistry, Panjab University, Chandigarh 160014, India
Nat Prod Res 27:548-53. 2013..of a naturally occurring amide alkaloid, N-isobutyl-4,5-epoxy-2(E)-decenamide isolated from the roots of Piper nigrum has been described involving a total of nine steps...
- GABAA receptor modulation by piperine and a non-TRPV1 activating derivativeSophia Khom
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Vienna, Althanstraße 14, A 1090 Wien, Austria
Biochem Pharmacol 85:1827-36. 2013....
- Antioxidant activity of a salt-spice-herbal mixture against free radical inductionKavithalakshmi S Natarajan
ALMPG Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Madras, Taramani Campus, Chennai 600113, India
J Ethnopharmacol 105:76-83. 2006A combination of spices (Piper nigrum, Piper longum and Zingiber officinale), herbs (Cyperus rotundus and Plumbago zeylanica) and salts make up Amrita Bindu...
- Chemical composition and fatty acid content of some spices and herbs under Saudi Arabia conditionsFahad Mohammed Al-Jasass
General Directorate of Research Grants, King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology, P O Box 6086, Riyadh 11442, Saudi Arabia
ScientificWorldJournal 2012:859892. 2012..The differences in the results obtained are due to environmental factors, production areas, cultivars used to produce seeds and also due to the different methods used to prepare these local spices...
- In vitro antibacterial and antibiotic-potentiation activities of four edible plants against multidrug-resistant gram-negative speciesJaures A K Noumedem
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, University of Dschang, Dschang, Cameroon
BMC Complement Altern Med 13:190. 2013....
- Element analysis and biological studies on ten oriental spices using XRF and Ames testBarakat A Al-Bataina
Physics Department, Yarmouk University, Irbid, Jordan
J Trace Elem Med Biol 17:85-90. 2003..tinctorius), caraway (Carum carvi), Sicilian sumac (Rhus coriaria), aniseed (Anisum vulgare), black pepper (Piper nigrum), cardamom (Elettaria cardamomum), cumin (Cuminum cyminum) and nigella (Nigella sativum)...
- Structural and sensory characterization of key pungent and tingling compounds from black pepper (Piper nigrum L.)Corinna Dawid
Chair for Food Chemistry and Molecular Sensory Science, Technische Universitat Munchen, Lise Meitner Strasse 34, D 85354 Freising, Germany
J Agric Food Chem 60:2884-95. 2012..pungent and tingling oral impression imparted by black pepper, an ethanol extract prepared from black pepper (Piper nigrum L.) was screened for its key sensory-active nonvolatiles by application of taste dilution analysis (TDA)...
- Microsatellite based analysis of genetic diversity of popular black pepper genotypes in South IndiaNisha Joy
Plant Molecular Biology Lab, Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Biotechnology, Poojappura, Thiruvananthapuram 695014, India
Genetica 139:1033-43. 2011..The study was first to portray the precise genetic relatedness among the major indigenous genotypes of black pepper...
- Antioxidant and anti-atherogenic activities of three Piper species on atherogenic diet fed hamstersGabriel A Agbor
Institute of Medical Research and Medicinal Plants Studies, PO Box 6163, Yaounde, Cameroon
Exp Toxicol Pathol 64:387-91. 2012..aims at evaluating the antioxidant and anti-atherosclerotic activities of three Piper species (Piper guineense, Piper nigrum and Piper umbellatum) on atherogenic diet fed hamsters...
- Identification of an miRNA candidate reflects the possible significance of transcribed microsatellites in the hairpin precursors of black pepperNisha Joy
Plant Molecular Biology, Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Biotechnology, Thycaud P O, Poojappura, Thiruvananthapuram, 695 014 Kerala, India
Funct Integr Genomics 12:387-95. 2012..genes, we carried out a preliminary analysis to verify the presence of SSRs in the pri-miRNAs of black pepper (Piper nigrum L.). We isolated a (CT) dinucleotide SSR bearing transcript using SMART strategy...
- Protein tyrosine phosphatase 1B inhibitory activity of Indonesian herbal medicines and constituents of Cinnamomum burmannii and Zingiber aromaticumAzis Saifudin
Institute of Natural Medicine, University of Toyama, Toyama, Japan
J Nat Med 67:264-70. 2013..leaf, Blumea balsamifera, Cinnamomum burmannii, Cymbopogon nardus, Melaleuca leucadendra, Phyllanthus niruri, Piper nigrum, Syzygium aromaticum, and Sy...
- Effect of some medicinal plant extracts on the oxidative stress status in Alzheimer's disease induced in ratsK Mahdy
Department of Medical Biochemistry, National Research Center, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt
Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 16:31-42. 2012..The present study aims to investigate the effect of Salvia triloba and Piper nigrum plant extracts on the oxidative stress status in Alzheimer's disease induced in rats.
- High-throughput sequencing of black pepper root transcriptomeSheila M C Gordo
Genetics and Molecular Biology Laboratory, COASTAL STUDIES INSTITUTE, Bragança Campus, Universidade Federal do Para, PA, Brazil
BMC Plant Biol 12:168. 2012Black pepper (Piper nigrum L.) is one of the most popular spices in the world. It is used in cooking and the preservation of food and even has medicinal properties...
- In vivo effect of some home spices extracts on the toxoplasma gondii tachyzoitesNajia A Al-Zanbagi
Biology Department, Science College, King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
J Family Community Med 16:59-65. 2009..The anti-toxoplasmic activity of water and ethanol extracts as well as the oil of some home spices (Piper nigrum, Capsicum frutescens, Cinnamomum cassia and Curcuma longa), were evaluated in murine models of intraperitoneal ..
- Evaluation of the effect of piperine per se on blood glucose level in alloxan-induced diabetic miceShubham Atal
Department of Pharmacology, M G M Medical College, Indore, M P 452001, India corrected
Acta Pol Pharm 69:965-9. 2012..Piperine, the chief alkaloid present in Piper nigrum (black pepper), has a wide array of uses in alternative and complementary therapies...
- Influence of extraction solvents on antioxidant activity and the content of bioactive compounds in non-pungent peppersHaejin Bae
Vegetable and Fruit Improvement Center, Department of Horticultural Sciences, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX, USA
Plant Foods Hum Nutr 67:120-8. 2012....
- Pharmacokinetic herb-drug interactions (part 2): drug interactions involving popular botanical dietary supplements and their clinical relevanceBill J Gurley
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, Little Rock, AR 72205, USA
Planta Med 78:1490-514. 2012..g., Hydrastis canadensis, Piper nigrum, Schisandra chinensis) or function as ligands for orphan nuclear receptors (e.g., Hypericum perforatum)...
- Piperine inhibits PMA-induced cyclooxygenase-2 expression through downregulating NF-κB, C/EBP and AP-1 signaling pathways in murine macrophagesHyung Gyun Kim
Department of Toxicology, College of Pharmacy, Chungnam National University, Daejeon, Republic of Korea
Food Chem Toxicol 50:2342-8. 2012Piperine is a major component of black (Piper nigrum Linn) and long (Piper longum Linn) peppers, and is widely used as a traditional food and medicine...
- Analysis of the blackening of green pepper (Piper nigrum Linnaeus) berriesFenglin Gu
Spice and Beverage Research Institute, CATAS, Wanning, Hainan 571533, China
Food Chem 138:797-801. 2013..activity, reduced weight percentage after sun drying, and the changes in colour and appearance of green pepper (Piper nigrum Linnaeus) berries after blanching and sun drying...
- HPLC-based activity profiling: discovery of piperine as a positive GABA(A) receptor modulator targeting a benzodiazepine-independent binding siteJanine Zaugg
Institute of Pharmaceutical Biology, University of Basel, Klingelbergstrasse 50, 4056 Basel, Switzerland
J Nat Prod 73:185-91. 2010..An ethyl acetate extract of black pepper fruits [Piper nigrum L...
- Tissue distribution & elimination of capsaicin, piperine & curcumin following oral intake in ratsD Suresh
Department of Biochemistry and Nutrition, Central Food Technological Research Institute CSIR, Mysore, India
Indian J Med Res 131:682-91. 2010..bioactive compounds present in spices--turmeric (Curcuma longa), red pepper (Capsicum annuum) and black pepper (Piper nigrum) respectively, have a considerable portion of structural homology...
- Neuroprotective effect of piperine on primarily cultured hippocampal neuronsMin Fu
Medical College, Tsinghua University, China
Biol Pharm Bull 33:598-603. 2010..These data suggest that the neuroprotective effects of PIP might be associated with suppression of synchronization of neuronal networks, presynaptic glutamic acid release, and Ca(2+) overloading...
- The plant alkaloid piperine as a potential inhibitor of ethidium bromide efflux in Mycobacterium smegmatisJing Jin
Key Laboratory of Zoonosis Research, Ministry of Education, Institute of Zoonosis, College of Animal Science and Veterinary Medicine, Jilin University, Changchun 130062, PR China
J Med Microbiol 60:223-9. 2011Piperine, a major plant alkaloid found in black pepper (Piper nigrum) and long pepper (Piper longum), has shown potential for inhibiting the efflux pump (EP) of Staphylococcus aureus...
- High-frequency plant regeneration through cyclic secondary somatic embryogenesis in black pepper (Piper nigrum L.)R Ramakrishnan Nair
Indian Institute of Spices Research, Calicut, 673012, Kerala, India
Plant Cell Rep 24:699-707. 2006A high-frequency plantlet regeneration protocol was developed for black pepper (Piper nigrum L.) through cyclic secondary somatic embryogenesis...
- Characterisation of Phytophthora capsici isolates from black pepper in VietnamNguyen V Truong
School of Agriculture and Forestry, Hue University, 102 Phung Hung Street, Hue City, Viet Nam
Fungal Biol 114:160-70. 2010Phytophthora foot rot of black pepper caused by Phytophthora capsici is a major disease of black pepper (Piper nigrum) throughout Vietnam. To understand the population structure of P. capsici, a large collection of P...
- Identifying sequences potentially related to resistance response of Piper tuberculatum to Fusarium solani f. sp. piperis by suppression subtractive hybridizationSoelange Bezerra Nascimento
Laboratorio de Biologia Molecular, Universidade Federal do Para, Belem PA, Brazil
Protein Pept Lett 16:1429-34. 2009..sp. piperis, causal agent of Fusarium disease in black pepper (Piper nigrum L.). In this work we aimed to study the interaction between P. tuberculatum and F. solani f. sp...
- [Allelopathy of decomposing pepper stalk on pepper growth]Yongxia Hou
College of Horticulture, Shenyang Agricultural University, Shenyang 110161, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 17:699-702. 2006..The allelopathic effects of decomposed pepper stalk on the physiological indices of pepper root activity ranged from 0.0163 to 0.6507, which was significantly higher than that of plant growth index...
- Histamine release inhibitory activity of Piper nigrum leafNoriko Hirata
School of Pharmacy, Kinki University, 3 4 1 Kowakae, Higashiosaka, Osaka 577 8502, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 31:1973-6. 2008Oral administration of a methanolic extract of Piper nigrum leaf (PN-ext, 50, 200 and 500 mg/kg) showed a potent dose-dependent inhibition of dinitrofluorobenzene (DNFB)-induced cutaneous reaction at 1 h [immediate phase response (IPR)] ..
- Inhibition of lipopolysaccharide-induced inflammatory responses by piperineGi Sang Bae
Department of Herbology, School of Oriental Medicine, Wonkwang University, Iksan, 540 749 Jeonbuk, South Korea
Eur J Pharmacol 642:154-62. 2010Piperine, a main component of Piper longum Linn. and Piper nigrum Linn., is a plant alkaloid with a long history of medical use. Piperine exhibits anti-inflammatory activity; however, the underlying mechanism remains unknown...
- Immunomodulatory role of piperine in cadmium induced thymic atrophy and splenomegaly in miceNeelima Pathak
Indian Institute of Toxicology Research, Mahatma Gandhi Marg, P Box 80, Lucknow 226001, Uttar Pradesh, India
Environ Toxicol Pharmacol 28:52-60. 2009..Piperine, major alkaloid of Piper longum Linn. and Piper nigrum Linn. with a long history of medicinal value, has shown anti-apoptotic activity in vitro...
- Mediation of cholino-piperine like receptors by extracts of Piper nigrum induces melanin dispersion in Rana tigerina tadpole melanophoresMohammed Sajid
Postgraduate Department of Biotechnology, Saifia College of Science, Bhopal, India
J Recept Signal Transduct Res 31:286-90. 2011The present study was carried out to determine the effects of lyophilized dried fruit extracts of Piper nigrum and pure piperine on the tadpole melanophores of frog Rana tigerina which offer excellent in vitro opportunities for studying ..
- Effect of enzyme activity and frozen storage on jalapeño pepper volatiles by selected ion flow tube-mass spectrometryCarolina Azcarate
Dept of Food Science and Technology, The Ohio State Univ, 2015 Fyffe Rd, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
J Food Sci 75:C710-21. 2010..The compounds (E,Z)-2,6-nonadienal, n-propyl aldehyde, 2-isobutyl-3-methoxypyrazine, and a mixture of terpenes decreased in unblanched and blanched frozen samples, while nonanal and methylbutanal increased only in unblanched samples...
- The effect of chemical treatment on reduction of aflatoxins and ochratoxin A in black and white pepper during washingM Jalili
Centre of Excellence for Food Safety Research, Department of Food Technology, Faculty of Food Science and Technology, Universiti Putra Malaysia, Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
Food Addit Contam Part A Chem Anal Control Expo Risk Assess 28:485-93. 2011..5% ± 2.7% using benzoic acid and 54.5% ± 2.7% using sodium hydroxide. There was no significant difference between black and white peppers (p < 0.05)...
- Liquid chromatographic method for determination of piperine in rat plasma: application to pharmacokineticsSunil Bajad
Pharmacology Division, Regional Research Laboratory, Canal Road, Jammu 180 001, India
J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 776:245-9. 2002Piperine, a major alkaloid of Piper longum and Piper nigrum has been reported to have several pharmacological/toxicological effects...
- Characterization and control of endophytic bacterial contaminants in in vitro cultures of Piper spp., Taxus baccata subsp. wallichiana, and Withania somniferaAnjali A Kulkarni
Institute of Bioinformatics and Biotechnology, University of Pune, India
Can J Microbiol 53:63-74. 2007..The five endophytic bacteria associated with Piper nigrum and Piper colubrinum, four endophytic bacteria associated with Taxus baccata subsp...
- Effect of storage on the essential oil composition of Piper nigrum L. fruits of different ripening statesAnne Orav
Institute of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Tallinn Technical University, Ehitajate tee 5, Tallinn 19086, Estonia
J Agric Food Chem 52:2582-6. 2004..Differently from other pepper samples, 1 year storage of green pepper corn raised the oil amount more than twice of both drying methods...
- Effect of trikatu pretreatment on the pharmacokinetics of pefloxacin administered orally in mountain Gaddi goatsMadhukar S Dama
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, CSK Himachal Pradesh Agricultural University, Palampur 176 062, Himachal Pradesh, India
J Vet Sci 9:25-9. 2008..21 mg/kg is required to be administered at 8 h intervals. For practical purposes in goats this would mean a priming dose of 6 mg/kg and a maintenance dose of 2 mg/kg given by the oral route, to be repeated at 8 h intervals...
- Larvicidal activity of isobutylamides identified in Piper nigrum fruits against three mosquito speciesIl Kwon Park
School of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University, Suwon 441 744, Republic of Korea
J Agric Food Chem 50:1866-70. 2002The insecticidal activity of materials derived from the fruits of Piper nigrum against third instar larvae of Culex pipiens pallens, Aedes aegypti, and A...
- Antimutagenic effects of piperine on cyclophosphamide-induced chromosome aberrations in rat bone marrow cellsSareeya Wongpa
Toxicology Graduate Programme, Faculty of Science, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 8:623-7. 2007Piperine is a major pungent substance and active component of black pepper (Piper nigrum Linn.) and long pepper (Piper longum Linn.). Both plants are used worldwide as household spices and condiments...
- Two new amides with cytotoxic activity from the fruits of Piper longumPriyanka Mishra
Department of Biotechnology, Amity Institute of Biotechnology, Amity University, Noida, India
J Asian Nat Prod Res 13:143-8. 2011..The structures were elucidated on the basis of spectroscopic evidences. All these compounds inhibited cell proliferation of human leukemia, HL-60 cell lines, and displayed major apoptosis-inducing effects...
- Larvicidal potential of ethanolic extracts of dried fruits of three species of peppercorns against different instars of an indian strain of dengue fever mosquito, Aedes aegypti L. (Diptera: Culicidae)Sarita Kumar
Department of Zoology, Acharya Narendra Dev College University of Delhi, Kalka Ji, New Delhi, 110019, India
Parasitol Res 107:901-7. 2010..Black pepper, Piper nigrum, and White pepper, Piper nigrum against the different instars of field-collected Indian strain of dengue fever ..
- Method development and validation for determination of thiosultap sodium, thiocyclam, and nereistoxin in pepper matrixC Ferrer
Community Reference Laboratory DG SANCO for Residues of Pesticides in Fruits and Vegetables, Pesticide Residue Research Group, Department of Hydrogeology and Analytical Chemistry, University of Almeria, 04120 La Cañada de San Urbano, Almeria, Spain
Anal Bioanal Chem 398:2299-306. 2010..Stability studies of thiosultap sodium in water were performed by evaluating a 100-μg∙l(-1) solution of this compound in water. It was analyzed over 7 days, after which more than 80% degradation of thiosultap sodium could be observed...
- Effects of a nutritional supplement on periodontal statusC A Munoz
Center for Dental Research, Loma Linda University, School of Dentistry, Loma Linda, California, USA
Compend Contin Educ Dent 22:425-8, 430, 432 passim; quiz 440. 2001..The results of the present study suggest that a multi-vitamin nutritional supplement might be a beneficial adjunct to the required established periodontal treatment...
- Detection of Tobacco mosaic virus and Tomato mosaic virus in pepper and tomato by multiplex RT-PCRS Kumar
Department of Studies in Biotechnology, University of Mysore, Manasagangotri, Mysore, 570006 Karnataka, India
Lett Appl Microbiol 53:359-63. 2011..In this study, we use the multiplex PCR technique to detect dual infection of these two viruses...
- Clinical Assessment of Herb-Drug InteractionsBill Gurley; Fiscal Year: 2005..e. CYPIA2, CYP2D6 and CYP3A4); and (3) whether prolonged herb use can modulate P-gp-mediated drug absorption and elimination. ..