Genomes and Genes
Summary: The gourd plant family of the order Violales, subclass Dilleniidae, class Magnoliopsida. It is sometimes placed in its own order, Cucurbitales. 'Melon' generally refers to CUCUMIS; CITRULLUS; or MOMORDICA.
Publications232 found, 100 shown here
- Callus formation and cucurbitacin B accumulation in Ecballium elaterium callus culturesG Toker
Gazi University, Faculty of Pharmacy, Etiler, Ankara 06330, Turkey
Fitoterapia 74:618-23. 2003..126%) were obtained from the first subculture calluses from stem nodes in the presence of benzyl adenine (BA; 1 mg/l) and naphtalene acetic acid (NAA; 0.1 mg/l) in comparison with the yields obtained from plant material (0.01%)...
- Anti-inflammatory activity of two cucurbitacins isolated from Cayaponia tayuya rootsM Carmen Recio
Departament de Farmacologia, Facultat de Farmacia, Universitat de Valencia, Burjassot, Spain
Planta Med 70:414-20. 2004..Neither compound modified the production of LTB4 in rat polymorphonuclear leukocytes, nor did they exhibit analgesic properties at the dose assayed...
- Anti-inflammatory and free radical scavenging activities of ethanol extracts of three seeds used as "Bolengguazi"Qing Mao Fang
West China School of Pharmacy, Sichuan University, No 17, Section 3, Ren Min Nan Lu Road, Chengdu, Sichuan 610041, PR China
J Ethnopharmacol 114:61-5. 2007..The present study also supports the claims by the traditional Tibetan medicine practitioners about the use of HPD seeds in inflammatory diseases, such as "Chiba"...
- Effect of Coccinia indica leaf extract on plasma antioxidants in streptozotocin- induced experimental diabetes in ratsS Venkateswaran
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Annamalai University, Annamalainagar, Tamil Nadu, India
Phytother Res 17:605-8. 2003..The extract also caused a significant increase in plasma vitamin C and reduced glutathione, which clearly shows the antioxidant property of CLEt. The effect of CLEt at 200 mg/kg body weight was more effective than glibenclamide...
- Larvicidal efficacy of some Cucurbitacious plant leaf extracts against Culex quinquefasciatus (Say)K Prabakar
Division of Vector Biology, Department of Zoology, Annamalai University, Annamalai Nagar 608 002, India
Bioresour Technol 95:113-4. 2004..The larval mortality was observed after 24 h exposure. The LC50 values of M. charantia, T. anguina, L. acutangula, B. cerifera and C. vulgaris were 465.85, 567.81, 839.81, 1189.30 and 1636.04 ppm respectively...
- A transposon-induced epigenetic change leads to sex determination in melonAntoine Martin
INRA CNRS, UMR1165, Unite de Recherche en Genomique Vegetale, 2 rue Gaston Cremieux, F 91057 Evry, France
Nature 461:1135-8. 2009..Together our data indicate a model in which CmACS-7 and CmWIP1 interact to control the development of male, female and hermaphrodite flowers in melon...
- Engineering melon plants with improved fruit shelf life using the TILLING approachFatima Dahmani-Mardas
Unite de Recherche en Genomique Vegetale, UMR1165 ERL8196 INRA UEVE CNRS, Evry, France
PLoS ONE 5:e15776. 2010..The characterization of the ethylene pathway in Arabidopsis and tomato identified key genes that control fruit ripening...
- Development of immature stages and comparative demography of two cucurbit-attacking fruit flies in Reunion Island: Bactrocera cucurbitae and Dacus ciliatus (Diptera Tephritidae)J F Vayssières
International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, Biological Control for Africa, 08 BP 0932, Tri Postal, Cotonou, Benin
Environ Entomol 37:307-14. 2008..cucurbitae (Coquillett) and Dacus ciliatus Loew, infest 16 host plant species belonging to the family Cucurbitaceae from sea level to 1,600 m. These two species represent two primary pests of this plant family on the island...
- Divergent metabolome and proteome suggest functional independence of dual phloem transport systems in cucurbitsBaichen Zhang
Donald Danforth Plant Science Center, St Louis, MO 63132, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:13532-7. 2010..On this basis, we propose that the fascicular phloem is largely responsible for sugar transport, whereas the extrafascicular phloem may function in signaling, defense, and transport of other metabolites...
- Ecological specialization of the aphid Aphis gossypii Glover on cultivated host plantsJ Carletto
INRA, UMR 1301, Equipe Biologie des Populations en Interaction, Sophia Antipolis Cedex, France
Mol Ecol 18:2198-212. 2009..Five host races were unambiguously identified (Cucurbitaceae, cotton, eggplant, potato and chili- or sweet pepper). These host races were dominated by asexual clones...
- Effect of supplementation of Coccinia cordifolia extract on newly detected diabetic patientsRebecca Kuriyan
Division of Nutrition, Institute of Population Health and Clinical Research, St John s National Academy of Health Sciences, Bangalore 560034, India
Diabetes Care 31:216-20. 2008..This study aimed to evaluate the effectiveness of Coccinia cordifolia on blood glucose levels of incident type 2 diabetic patients requiring only dietary or lifestyle modifications...
- A multi-locus chloroplast phylogeny for the Cucurbitaceae and its implications for character evolution and classificationAlexander Kocyan
Department of Biology, Ludwig Maximilians University, D 80638 Munich, Germany
Mol Phylogenet Evol 44:553-77. 2007b>Cucurbitaceae contain c. 800 species in 130 genera and are among the economically most important families of plants...
- The iturin-like lipopeptides are essential components in the biological control arsenal of Bacillus subtilis against bacterial diseases of cucurbitsHouda Zeriouh
Universidad de Malaga, Malaga, Spain
Mol Plant Microbe Interact 24:1540-52. 2011..Taken together, our results highlight the potential of these B. subtilis strains as biocontrol agents against fungal and bacterial diseases of cucurbits and the versatility of iturins as antifungal and antibacterial compounds...
- Study of flavonoids of Sechium edule (Jacq) Swartz (Cucurbitaceae) different edible organs by liquid chromatography photodiode array mass spectrometryTiziana Siciliano
Dipartimento di Chimica Bioorganica e Biofarmacia, Universita di Pisa, Via Bonanno, 33, 56126 Pisa, Italy
J Agric Food Chem 52:6510-5. 2004..LC-MS)-based method was developed for the characterization of flavonoids from Sechium edule (Jacq) Swartz (Cucurbitaceae) edible organs, a plant cultivated since pre-Colombian times in Mexico where the fruit is called chayote...
- Uptake by cucurbitaceae of soil-Bome contaminants depends upon plant genotype and pollutant propertiesMaryjane Incorvia Mattina
Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station, 123 Huntington Street, New Haven, Connecticut 06511, USA
Environ Sci Technol 40:1814-21. 2006Three Cucurbitaceae, Cucurbita pepo L. subsp. pepo (cv. Black Beauty, true zucchini), Cucurbita pepo L. intersubspecific cross (cv. Zephyr, summer squash), and Cucumis sativis (cv...
- Evaluation of the hypoglycemic effect of Cucurbita ficifolia Bouché (Cucurbitaceae) in different experimental modelsF J Alarcon-Aguilar
Division de Ciencias Biologicas y de la Salud, Universidad Autonoma Metropolitana, Unidad Iztapalapa, DF, Mexico
J Ethnopharmacol 82:185-9. 2002Acute hypoglycemic effects of freeze-dried juice of Cucurbita ficifolia Bouché (Cucurbitaceae) fruits were studied in healthy and alloxan-diabetic mice. C...
- Effect of Coccinia indica leaves on antioxidant status in streptozotocin-induced diabetic ratsS Venkateswaran
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Annamalai University, Annamalainagar 608 002, Chidambaram, Tamil Nadu, India
J Ethnopharmacol 84:163-8. 2003..The effect of CLEt at 200 mg/kg body weight was more effective than glibenclamide..
- The iturin and fengycin families of lipopeptides are key factors in antagonism of Bacillus subtilis toward Podosphaera fuscaDiego Romero
Departamento de Microbiologia, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Malaga, Campus Universitario de Teatinos s n, E 29071 Malaga, Spain
Mol Plant Microbe Interact 20:430-40. 2007..Taken together, our data have allowed us to conclude that the iturin and fengycin families of lipopeptides have a major role in the antagonism of B. subtilis toward P. fusca...
- Interrogating and predicting tolerated sequence diversity in protein folds: application to E. elaterium trypsin inhibitor-II cystine-knot miniproteinJennifer L Lahti
Department of Bioengineering, Cancer Center, Bio X Program, Stanford University, Stanford, California, United States of America
PLoS Comput Biol 5:e1000499. 2009..Furthermore, our findings demonstrate that the combination of directed evolution with sequence and covariance analyses can be a powerful tool for rational protein engineering...
- MELOGEN: an EST database for melon functional genomicsDaniel Gonzalez-Ibeas
Departamento de Biología del Estrés y Patología Vegetal, Centro de Edafologia y Biologia Aplicada del Segura CEBAS CSIC, Apdo, correos 164, 30100 Espinardo Murcia, Spain
BMC Genomics 8:306. 2007....
- An eIF4E allele confers resistance to an uncapped and non-polyadenylated RNA virus in melonCristina Nieto
Centro de Edafologia y Biologia Aplicada del Segura CEBAS CSIC, Apdo Correos 164, 30100 Espinardo, Murcia, Spain
Plant J 48:452-62. 2006..These data, and data from other authors, suggest that translation initiation factors of the eIF4E family are universal determinants of plant susceptibility to RNA viruses...
- Novel expression pattern of cytosolic Gln synthetase in nitrogen-fixing root nodules of the actinorhizal host, Datisca glomerataAlison M Berry
Department of Environmental Horticulture, University of California, Davis, California 95616, USA
Plant Physiol 135:1849-62. 2004..Catabolism of Arg through the urea cycle could generate free ammonium in the uninfected tissue where GS is expressed...
- Effect of Siraitia grosvenorii polysaccharide on glucose and lipid of diabetic rabbits induced by feeding high fat/high sucrose chowGuo Ping Lin
School of Life Science and Technology, University of South China, Hengyang 421001, Hunan, China
Exp Diabetes Res 2007:67435. 2007....
- Hypoglycemic action of Cucurbita ficifolia on Type 2 diabetic patients with moderately high blood glucose levelsJ L Acosta-Patiño
Departamento de Enseñanza e Investigación, Hospital General de Zona No 1, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Ciudad Universitaria, D F 04510, Mexico
J Ethnopharmacol 77:99-101. 2001..The hypoglycemic action of Cucurbita ficifolia agrees with its effects previously observed in laboratory animals. The results of this preliminary study do not give indications for the mechanism of this hypoglycemic effect...
- A genetic map of melon highly enriched with fruit quality QTLs and EST markers, including sugar and carotenoid metabolism genesR Harel-Beja
Department of Vegetable Research, Agricultural Research Organization, Newe Ya ar Research Center, P O Box 1021, Ramat Yishay, 30095, Israel
Theor Appl Genet 121:511-33. 2010..The RI population described here provides a useful resource for further genomics and metabolomics studies in melon, as well as useful markers for breeding for fruit quality...
- Triterpene glycosides of Siraitia grosvenori inhibit rat intestinal maltase and suppress the rise in blood glucose level after a single oral administration of maltose in ratsYasushi A Suzuki
Biochemical Laboratory, Saraya Company, Ltd, Kashiwara, Osaka 582 0028, Japan
J Agric Food Chem 53:2941-6. 2005..6 mM, respectively. These results suggest that SG-ex exerts anti-hyperglycemic effects in rats by inhibiting maltase activity and that these effects are at least partially exerted by its sweet elements, triterpene glycosides...
- A dated phylogeny and collection records reveal repeated biome shifts in the African genus Coccinia (Cucurbitaceae)Norbert Holstein
Systematic Botany and Mycology, University of Munich LMU, Menzinger Strasse 67, Munich, Germany
BMC Evol Biol 11:28. 2011..Climatic tolerances were assessed from the occurrences of 1189 geo-referenced collections and WorldClim variables...
- An integrated genetic and cytogenetic map of the cucumber genomeYi Ren
Institute of Vegetables and Flowers, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Sino Dutch Joint Lab of Horticultural Genomics, Opening Lab of Genetic Improvement of Agricultural Crops of Ministry of Agriculture, Beijing, China
PLoS ONE 4:e5795. 2009The Cucurbitaceae includes important crops such as cucumber, melon, watermelon, squash and pumpkin. However, few genetic and genomic resources are available for plant improvement...
- Gourds afloat: a dated phylogeny reveals an Asian origin of the gourd family (Cucurbitaceae) and numerous oversea dispersal eventsHanno Schaefer
Systematic Botany, University of Munich, Menzinger Strasse 67, 80638 Munich, Germany
Proc Biol Sci 276:843-51. 2009..Here, we address the history of Cucurbitaceae, one of the most economically important families of plants, using a multigene phylogeny for 114 of the 115 ..
- An Asian origin for a 10,000-year-old domesticated plant in the AmericasDavid L Erickson
Laboratory of Analytical Biology, National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC 20560, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:18315-20. 2005....
- Ascorbic acid conjugates isolated from the phloem of CucurbitaceaeRobert D Hancock
Scottish Crop Research Institute, Plant Products and Food Quality, Invergowrie, Dundee DD2 5DA, United Kingdom
Phytochemistry 69:1850-8. 2008Analysis of phloem exudates from the fruit of Cucurbitaceae revealed the presence of several compounds with UV-visible absorption spectra identical to that of l-ascorbic acid. In Cucurbita pepo L...
- Phylogeny of the Cucurbitales based on DNA sequences of nine loci from three genomes: implications for morphological and sexual system evolutionLi bing Zhang
Department of Biology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA
Mol Phylogenet Evol 39:305-22. 2006..Coriariaceae (15 spp.), Corynocarpaceae (6 spp.), Cucurbitaceae (800 spp.), Datiscaceae (2 spp.), and Tetramelaceae (2 spp.)...
- Acetyl-coa: alcohol acetyltransferase activity and aroma formation in ripening melon fruitsM Shalit
Department of Vegetable Crops, Agricultural Research Organization (ARO, Newe Ya'ar Research Center, P.O. Box 1021, Ramat Yishay 30-095, Israel
J Agric Food Chem 49:794-9. 2001..In addition, the benzyl- and 2-phenylethyl-dependent AAT activity levels seem well correlated with the total soluble solid content in Arava fruits...
- Endosperm degradation during seed development of Echinocystis lobata (Cucurbitaceae) as a manifestation of programmed cell death (PCD) in plantsMarzena Wojciechowska
Department of Cytogenetics and Plant Molecular Biology, University of Lodz, Poland
Folia Histochem Cytobiol 41:41-50. 2003..It isconcluded that during seed maturation, endosperm degradation process is accompanied by typical PCD-related changes of cell morphology and internucleosomal DNA cleavage...
- Morphological discrimination of Aphis gossypii (Hemiptera: Aphididae) populations feeding on CompositaeJ T Margaritopoulos
Laboratory of Entomology and Agricultural Zoology, Department of Agriculture Crop Production and Rural Environment, University of Thessaly, Fytokou Str, 384 46 Nea Ionia, Magnesia, Greece
Bull Entomol Res 96:153-65. 2006..Samples of A. gossypii were collected from Cucurbitaceae and Malvaceae in Europe, and from Compositae in various parts of the world...
- High-throughput marker discovery in melon using a self-designed oligo microarrayRon Ophir
Plant Sciences Institute, Volcani Center, Agricultural Research Organization, Bet Dagan, Israel
BMC Genomics 11:269. 2010..This method has been utilized in a few different plants to discover genetic variation, using Affymetrix arrays that exist for only a few organisms. We applied this approach with some modifications for marker discovery in melon...
- Blockade of glycoprotein IIb/IIIa mediates the antithrombotic activity of butanol fraction of Actinostemma lobatum MaximKwan Hyun Kim
Graduate School of East West Medical Science, Kyunghee University, Yongin 446 701, Republic of Korea
J Ethnopharmacol 116:431-8. 2008Actinostemma lobatum Maxim, a wildlife plant of Cucurbitaceae family, has been utilized for the prevention or treatment of cardiovascular diseases as a folk remedy in Korea. However, its scientific evidence remains unclear...
- Hepatitis B virus inhibiting constituents from Herpetospermum caudigerumHai long Yuan
302 Hospital of PLA and PLA Institute of Chinese Materia Medica, Beijing, China
Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 54:1592-4. 2006..The activity inhibiting hepatitis b virus was evaluated. Preliminary studies showed that compound 1 and 2 displayed promising inhibitory potential against hepatitis b virus...
- Telfairia occidentalis extract stabilizes human erythrocyte membranesA A Osuntoki
Department of Biochemistry, College of Medicine, University of Lagos, Idi Araba, P M B 12003, Lagos, Nigeria
Nig Q J Hosp Med 17:116-9. 2007..In addition the marked difference in the observed effect between the normal and sickle erythrocytes membranes suggests that pharmacogenetic factors may be involved in the response to herbal preparations...
- Anti-angiogenic effect of the seed extract of Benincasa hispida CogniauxKeyong Ho Lee
Kolon Central Research Park, Yongin, Kyunggi do 449 912, Korea
J Ethnopharmacol 97:509-13. 2005..These results suggest that the seed extract of Benincasa hispida inhibits the proliferation of endothelial cells induced by bFGF, which may explain its anti-angiogenic properties...
- The use of powder and essential oil of Cymbopogon citratus against mould deterioration and aflatoxin contamination of "egusi" melon seedsS A Bankole
Department of Crop Production, Olabisi Onabanjo University, PMB 2002, Ago Iwoye, Ogun State, Nigeria
J Basic Microbiol 45:20-30. 2005..The efficacy of the essential oil in preserving the quality of melon seeds in stores was statistically at par with that of fungicide (iprodione) treatment...
- Hypolipidemic and antihyperlipidemic effects of Lagenaria siceraria (Mol.) fruit extractsB V Ghule
Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Borgaon Meghe, Wardha 442 001, India
Indian J Exp Biol 44:905-9. 2006..The results obtained suggest marked antihyperlipidemic and hypolipidemic activity of the extracts...
- Antitrypsin activity of extracts from Ecballium elaterium seedsE Attard
Institute of Agriculture, University of Malta, Msida MSD2080, Malta
Fitoterapia 79:226-8. 2008..The presence of trypsin inhibitors in three chromatographed samples for each extract, showed a strong and specific antitrypsin activity...
- D-chiro-inositol found in Cucurbita ficifolia (Cucurbitaceae) fruit extracts plays the hypoglycaemic role in streptozocin-diabetic ratsTao Xia
College of Life Science, East China Normal University, Shanghai, PR China
J Pharm Pharmacol 58:1527-32. 2006..Findings from this study demonstrated that C. ficifolia fruit extract was an effective source of D-CI for its hypoglycaemic effects in rats, and therefore may be useful in the treatment of diabetes...
- Tropical green leafy vegetables prevent garlic-induced hepatotoxicity in the ratGaniyu Oboh
Biochemistry Department, Federal University of Technology, Akure, Nigeria
J Med Food 9:545-51. 2006..occidentalis and C. acontifolus. Thus, T. occidentalis and C. acontifolus proved to be better vegetables in preventing garlic-induced hepatotoxicity compared with the other vegetables used in this study...
- Larvicidal efficacy of five cucurbitaceous plant leaf extracts against mosquito speciesA Abdul Rahuman
Unit of Bioactive Natural Products, Department of Zoology, C Abdul Hakeem College, Melvisharam 632 509, India
Parasitol Res 103:133-9. 2008..charantia were more effective than the other extracts. This is an ideal eco-friendly approach for the control of the dengue vector, A. aegypti, and the lymphatic filariasis vector, C. quinquefasciatus...
- Investigation of antimicrobial model of Hemsleya pengxianensis W.J. Chang and its main active component by metabolomics techniqueZhi Biao-Yi
Research Center of Modernization of Chinese Medicines, College of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Central South University, Changsha 410083, China
J Ethnopharmacol 116:89-95. 2008..pengxianensis. In this investigation, we attempted to quantify the content of dihydrocucurbitacin F-25-O-acetate in H.pengxianensis and find the possible antibacterial mode of dihydrocucurbitacin F-25-O-acetate and H.pengxianensis...
- [Study on the technique of ultrasonic wave extraction of triterpeneclucoside]Zu jin Yang
National Engineering Research Center for Modernization of Extraction and Separation Process of TCM, Guangzhou 510204, China
Zhong Yao Cai 30:1019-21. 2007..8 KHZ, ultrasonic (output) power 1080 kw and extraction temperature 40 degrees C, respectively...
- Antidiabetic effect of long-term supplementation with Siraitia grosvenori on the spontaneously diabetic Goto-Kakizaki ratYasushi A Suzuki
Biochemical Laboratory, Saraya Company Ltd, Kashiwara, Osaka, 582 0028, Japan
Br J Nutr 97:770-5. 2007..These data indicate that SG-ex supplementation may prevent complications and attenuate pathological conditions for type 2 diabetes, along with its sweet characteristics...
- Cucurbitacins from Cayaponia racemosa: isolation and total assignment of 1H and 13C NMR spectraDavina C Chaves
Departamento de Quimica Organica e Inorganica, Universidade Federal do Ceara, CEP 60 45170 Fortaleza, Ceara, Brazil
Magn Reson Chem 45:389-92. 2007..The total (1)H and (13)C chemical shift assignment of these two closely related compounds is described, making use of one- and two-dimensional NMR techniques...
- Dihydrocucurbitacin B, isolated from Cayaponia tayuya, reduces damage in adjuvant-induced arthritisJose Miguel Escandell
Departament de Farmacologia, Facultat de Farmacia, Universitat de Valencia, Av Vicent Andres Estelles s n, 46100 Burjassot, Spain
Eur J Pharmacol 532:145-54. 2006..In addition, it decreased the tumor necrosis factor-alpha and interleukin-1beta production in lymphocytes, but did not modify it in macrophages...
- Isolation and characterization of ribosome-inactivating proteins from CucurbitaceaeDaoning Zhang
Center for Biomolecular Structure and Organization, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 57007, USA
Chem Biodivers 4:431-42. 2007..We have isolated and characterized two such proteins, foetidissimin II and texanin, from two Cucurbitaceae species...
- Cucurbitane glycosides from unripe fruits of Lo Han Kuo (Siraitia grosvenori)Dianpeng Li
Faculty of Medical and Pharmaceutical Science, Kumamoto University, Kumamoto, Japan
Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 54:1425-8. 2006..Their structures were determined on the basis of detailed analyses of 1D, 2D-NMR spectroscopic methods and by comparing with literature values. This paper describes the first investigation of unripe bitter Lo Han Kuo fruits...
- Application of liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry analysis in metabolomics: reversed-phase monolithic capillary chromatography and hydrophilic chromatography coupled to electrospray ionization-mass spectrometryVladimir V Tolstikov
Genome Center, University of California Davis, USA
Methods Mol Biol 358:141-55. 2007..We have demonstrated that reversed-phase monolithic capillary chromatography and hydrophilic chromatography can be successfully applied for sufficient plant crude extracts separations and metabolomics studies...
- [Study on tissue culture of Bolbostemma paniculatum]Cui qin Li
Key Laboratory of Medicinal Plant Resource and Natural Pharmaceutical Chemistry of Ministry of Education, Shaanxi Normal University, Xi an, China
Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi 31:369-72. 2006..To study the method of callus induction and culturing of Bolbostemma paniculatum and its relationship with accumulation of tubeimoside...
- Four new cucurbitane glycosides from Hemsleya jinfushanensisJian Chao Chen
State Key Laboratory of Phytochemistry and Plant Resources in West China, Kunming Institute of Botany, The Chinese Academy of Sciences, 610 Longquan Road, Kunming, Yunnan, P R China
Planta Med 71:983-6. 2005..Compounds 1-7 were tested for bioactivity against rabbit platelet aggregation induced by PAF, ADP, or AA. Among them, compounds 1, 5, 6 and 7 weakly inhibited PAF-induced platelet aggregation...
- The antioxidant activities of natural sweeteners, mogrosides, from fruits of Siraitia grosvenoriW J Chen
College of Food Science and Technology, Huazhong Agriculture University, Wuhan 430070, China
Int J Food Sci Nutr 58:548-56. 2007..44 microg/ml compared with that of 11-oxo-mogroside V (EC50 = 146.17 microg/ml). Further, 11 -oxo-mogroside V exhibited a remarkable inhibitory effect on *OH-induced DNA damage with EC50 = 3.09 microg/ml...
- Characterization of phloem-sap transcription profile in melon plantsAyelet Omid
The Institute of Plant Sciences and Genetics in Agriculture, Otto Warburg Minerva Center for Agricultural Biotechnology, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Rehovot 76100, Israel
J Exp Bot 58:3645-56. 2007..Annotation of these six transcripts revealed that three of them are associated with auxin-signal transduction while the other three were not identified. The potential role of the expressed transcripts in the phloem sap is discussed...
- Monoglycerides and fatty acids from Ibervillea sonorae root: isolation and hypoglycemic activityErica Hernandez-Galicia
Division de Ciencias Biologicas y de la Salud, Universidad Autonoma Metropolitana, Unidad Iztapalapa, Mexico, D F
Planta Med 73:236-40. 2007..acid (14), palmitic acid (15) and stearic acid (16) were isolated of the root of IBERVILLEA SONORAE Greene (Cucurbitaceae). Their structures were determined by spectroscopic and chemical methods as well as GC-MS analysis...
- Ethnobotanical studies of medicinal plants used in the management of diabetes mellitus in South Western NigeriaK A Abo
Department of Pharmacognosy, University of Ibadan, Nigeria
J Ethnopharmacol 115:67-71. 2008..The survey shows plants from the Rutaceae, Leguminosae and Cucurbitaceae families are commonly used by traditional healers in South West Nigeria for the treatment of diabetes mellitus.
- [Studies on chemical constituents in bulbs of Bolbostemma paniculatum]Wen Yong Liu
College of Pharmacy, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai 200433, China
Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi 29:953-6. 2004..To investigate the chemical constituents of the bulbs of Bolbostemma panicultum...
- A bitter melon extract inhibits the P-glycoprotein activity in intestinal Caco-2 cells: monoglyceride as an active compoundTomoko Konishi
Department of Applied Biological Chemistry, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, The University of Tokyo, 1 1 1 Yayoi, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8657, Japan
Biofactors 22:71-4. 2004..It is interesting that certain types of monoglyceride might be involved in the drug bioavailability by specifically inhibiting the efflux mediated by P-gp...
- Analysis of flavonoids from Cyclanthera pedata fruits by liquid chromatography/electrospray mass spectrometryVirginia Carbone
Centro di Spettrometria di Massa Proteomica e Biomolecolare, Istituto di Scienze dell alimentazione C N R, via Roma 52A C, 83100 Avellino, Italy
J Pharm Biomed Anal 34:295-304. 2004..Due to the sensitivity and the repeatability of the assay, this method is suitable for industrial quality control of raw materials and final products...
- A new cucurbitacin D related 16,23-epoxy derivative and its isomerization productsChristoph Seger
Department of Pharmacognosy, Institute of Pharmacy, University of Innsbruck, Innrain 52, A 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Org Lett 6:633-6. 2004..b>Cucurbitaceae) fruit juice along with known cucurbitacin derivatives...
- Cytotoxicity and antimicrobial activity of goniothalamin isolated from Bryonopsis laciniosaM Ashik Mosaddik
Centre for Phytochemistry, Southern Cross University, Lismore, NSW 2480, Australia
Phytother Res 17:1155-7. 2003..The antibacterial (minimum inhibitory concentration) effect against Bacillus cereus and Shigella shiga was found to be 64 microg/mL...
- Synthesis of L-ascorbic acid in the phloemRobert D Hancock
Unit of Plant Biochemistry, Scottish Crop Research Institute, Invergowrie, Dundee DD2 5DA, United Kingdom
BMC Plant Biol 3:7. 2003..Possible sources of AsA in plant storage organs include in situ synthesis and long-distance transport of AsA synthesised in other tissues via the phloem. In this paper we examine a third possibility, that of synthesis within the phloem...
- Hypotriglyceridemic and hypocholesterolemic effects of anti-diabetic Momordica charantia (karela) fruit extract in streptozotocin-induced diabetic ratsI Ahmed
Departments of Anatomy and Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, UAE University, P.O. Box 17666, Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 51:155-61. 2001..These results suggest that M. charantia fruit extract exhibits hypolipidemic as well as hypoglycemic effects in the STZ-induced diabetic rat...
- Protective effect of Coccinia indica on changes in the fatty acid composition in streptozotocin induced diabetic ratsL Pari
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Annamalai University, Annamalainagar, Tamil Nadu, India
Pharmazie 58:409-12. 2003..It also prevents the fatty acid changes produced during diabetes. The effect of CLEt at 200 mg/kg body weight was better than that of glibenclamide...
- Modulatory effect of Coccinia indica on aortic collagen in streptozotocin-induced diabetic ratsSubramanian Venkateswaran
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Annamalai University, Annamalai Nagar, Tamil Nadu, India
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 30:157-63. 2003..0)) were comparable with those of glibenclamide (collagen content 26.18 +/- 1.65 mg/100 mg tissue (t value = 4.58), extent of cross-linking 0.787 +/- 0.057 mg hydroxyproline/100 mg tissue (t value = 7.1)), a reference drug...
- Expression of CycD3 is transiently increased by pollination and N-(2-chloro-4-pyridyl)-N'-phenylurea in ovaries of Lagenaria leucanthaYing Li
Department of Horticulture, Zhejiang University, Huajiachi Campus Kaixuan Road 268, Hangzhou 310029, China
J Exp Bot 54:1245-51. 2003..Treating ovaries with CPPU also reactivated cell division and transcription of CycD3 genes and the effect was more rapid and pronounced than after pollination/fertilization...
- Ivy gourd (Coccinia grandis Voigt, Coccinia cordifolia, Coccinia indica) in human nutrition and traditional applicationsEmorn Wasantwisut
Institute of Nutrition, Mahidol University, Salaya, Nakhon Pathom, Thailand
World Rev Nutr Diet 91:60-6. 2003
- New triterpenoid saponins from bulbs of Bolbostemma paniculatumWen Yong Liu
College of Pharmacy, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, PR China
Planta Med 70:458-64. 2004Nine new triterpenoid saponins were isolated from the bulbs of Bolbostemma paniculatum (Maxim.) Franquet (Cucurbitaceae): 7beta,18,20,26-tetrahydroxy-(20S)-dammar-24 E-en-3-O-alpha-L-(3-acetyl)arabinopyranosyl-(1-->2)-beta-D-..
- Hypoglycemic and antihyperglycemic effects of diethyl ether fraction isolated from the aqueous extract of the leaves of Cogniauxia podoleana Baillon in normal and alloxan-induced diabetic ratsMartin Diatewa
Laboratoire de Biochimie et Pharmacologie, Faculte des Sciences de la Sante, Université Marien NGouabi, B P 69, Brazzaville, Congo
J Ethnopharmacol 92:229-32. 2004Cogniauxia podoleana Baillon (Cucurbitaceae family) leaves are used in Congolese traditional medicine for the treatment of diabetes mellitus...
- A novel melon flexivirus transmitted by whiteflyT Nagata
Pos Graduacao em Ciencias Genomicas e Biotecnologia, Universidade Catolica de Brasilia, W5 Norte, 70790 160 Brasília, DF, Brazil
Arch Virol 150:379-87. 2005..The name Melon yellowing-associated virus (MYaV) is tentatively suggested for this virus...
- Cucurbita-5,23-diene-3beta,25-diol from Sicana odoriferaSayaka Nakano
Department of Chemistry and Materials Science, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Meguro, Tokyo 152 8551, Japan
Fitoterapia 75:609-11. 2004..The spectral data of a new triterpene, cucurbita-5,23-diene-3beta,25-diol, isolated from the seeds of Sicana odorifera, are reported...
- Antioxidant and angiotension-converting enzyme inhibition capacities of various parts of Benincasa hispida (wax gourd)Hui Yu Huang
Department of Food and Nutrition, Shih Chien University, 70 Ta Chi St 104, Taipei, Taiwan
Nahrung 48:230-3. 2004..The abilities of antioxidation and ACE activity inhibition may provide protective effects against cardiovascular diseases and cancers...
- Beneficial effects of Lagenaria siceraria (Mol.) Standley fruit epicarp in animal modelsJ R Deshpande
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University, Amravati Road, Nagpur 440 010, India
Indian J Exp Biol 46:234-42. 2008..The results showed that the radical scavenging capacity of L. siceraria fruit may be responsible for various biological activities studied...
- Upper airway edema resulting from use of Ecballium elateriumG Kloutsos
Ear, Nose and Throat, Tzanion General Hospital of Piraeus, Greece
Laryngoscope 111:1652-5. 2001..Skin tests elicited positive reactions to pollen weeds and to various fruits of the Cucurbitaceae family...
- Role of selected Indian plants in management of type 2 diabetes: a reviewAbha Saxena
Department of Medicine, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
J Altern Complement Med 10:369-78. 2004..Mechanisms such as the stimulating or regenerating effect on beta cells or extrapancreatic effects are proposed for the hypoglycemic action of these herbs...
- Stimulation of protein biosynthesis in rat hepatocytes by extracts of Momordica charantiaB G Araba
Department of Biochemistry, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Nigeria
Phytother Res 15:95-8. 2001....
- Biological activity of Ruta chalepensis (Rutaceae) and Sechium pittieri (Cucurbitaceae) extracts on Hypsipyla grandella (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae) larvaeF Mancebo
, Universidad de Costa Rica
Rev Biol Trop 49:501-8. 2001..The common rue extract showed a clear antifeedant activity at a concentration as low as 0.32%, whereas the "tacaco cimarrÃ³n" fraction caused toxicity, especially at the two highest concentrations (3.20 and 10%)...
- Complete sequence analysis reveals two distinct poleroviruses infecting cucurbits in ChinaHai ying Xiang
Department of Plant Pathology and State Key Laboratory for Agrobiotechnology, China Agricultural University, 100094 Beijing, China
Arch Virol 153:1155-60. 2008..7-74.2%, with amino acid sequence identities ranging from 24.8 to 82.9% for individual gene products. We propose that CABYV-CHN is a strain of CABYV and that MABYV is a member of a tentative distinct species within the genus Polerovirus...
- [Role of mitochondria in Tubeimoside I-mediated apoptosis in human cervical carcinoma HeLa cell line]Fang Wang
South China Sea Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Guangzhou 510301, China
Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi 30:1935-9. 2005..To investigate the role of mitochondria in TBMS1-medited apoptosis of human cervical carcinoma HeLa cell line...
- [The preparation of the polylacticacid nanoparticles of cucurbitacin and their drug loading]Ji Fen Zhang
West China School of Pharmacy, Sichuan University, Chengdu 610041, China
Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi 30:436-9. 2005..The drug incorporation depended on the interactions among drug, PLA, and organic solvents, in addition to the solubility of the drug...
- Octanorcucurbitane and cucurbitane triterpenoids from the tubers of Hemsleya endecaphylla with HIV-1 inhibitory activityJian Chao Chen
State Key Laboratory of Phytochemistry and Plant Resources in West China, Kunming Institute of Botany, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Yunnan, People s Republic of China
J Nat Prod 71:153-5. 2008..The relative stereochemistry of 1 was determined by single-crystal X-ray diffraction. Compound 4 (cucurbitacin B) showed potent anti-HIV-1 in C8166 cells (EC=0.09 microg/mL) with a selectivity index of 16.7...
- Ethnoveterinary medicines used to treat endoparasites and stomach problems in pigs and pets in British Columbia, CanadaCheryl Lans
BCICS, University of Victoria, British Columbia V8W 2Y2, Canada
Vet Parasitol 148:325-40. 2007..and Salvia officinalis L. (Lamiaceae) (Allium sativum L. (Alliaceae), Cucurbita pepo L. (Cucurbitaceae), Eugenia caryophyllata Thunb (Myrtaceae), Gentiana lutea L. (Gentianaceae), Hydrastis canadensis L...
- An ethnomedicinal survey and documentation of important medicinal folklore food phytonims of flora of Samahni valley, (Azad Kashmir) PakistanMuhammad Ishtiaq
Department of Biological Sciences, Laboratory of Ethnobotany and Plant Taxonomy, Quaid e Azam University, Islamabad, Pakistan
Pak J Biol Sci 10:2241-56. 2007..Among most frequent used families are Papilionaceae 9.47%, Solanaceae and Poaceae 8.42% each, Cucurbitaceae 7.36% and Brassicaceae and Rosaceae 6.31% each...
- Ethnoveterinary practices for the treatment of parasitic diseases in livestock in Cholistan desert (Pakistan)Zahid Farooq
Department of Zoology and Fisheries, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad 38040, Pakistan
J Ethnopharmacol 118:213-9. 2008..This study was conducted to document the ethnoveterinary medicinal (EVM) practices for the treatment of different parasitic diseases of livestock in Cholistan desert, Pakistan...
- Lettuce mosaic virus: from pathogen diversity to host interactorsSylvie German-Retana
UMR1090 Génomique Diversité Pouvoir Pathogène, INRA Université de Bordeaux 2, F 33883 Villenave d Ornon, France
Mol Plant Pathol 9:127-36. 2008..Lettuce mosaic virus (LMV) belongs to the genus Potyvirus (type species Potato virus Y) in the family Potyviridae...
- Antimalarial herbal remedies of Msambweni, KenyaJ M Nguta
Department of Public Health, Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Nairobi, PO Box 30197, Nairobi 00100, Kenya
J Ethnopharmacol 128:424-32. 2010..Labiatae), Teclea simplicifolia (Eng) Verdoon (Rutaceae), Gerranthus lobatus (Cogn.) Jeffrey (Cucurbitaceae), Grewia hexaminta Burret. (Tiliaceae), Canthium glaucum Hiern. (Rubiaceae), Amaranthus hybridus L...
- Vasoactive and antioxidant activities of plants used in Mexican traditional medicine for the treatment of cardiovascular diseasesC Ibarra-Alvarado
Facultad de Quimica, Universidad Autonoma de Queretaro, Centro Universitario, 76010 Querétaro, Mexico
Pharm Biol 48:732-9. 2010..Don (Loranthaceae), Prunus serotina ssp. capuli (Cav. ex Spreng) McVaugh (Rosaceae), and Sechium edule Sw. (Cucurbitaceae) contain secondary metabolites that promote vascular relaxation and display antioxidant activities...
- Anti-diabetic agents from natural products--an update from 2004 to 2009Lian Wen Qi
Key Laboratory of Modern Chinese Medicines, China Pharmaceutical University, Ministry of Education, Nanjing 210009, China
Curr Top Med Chem 10:434-57. 2010..have been demonstrated experimental or/and clinical anti-diabetic effectiveness, mainly including Leguminosae, Cucurbitaceae, Araliaceae, Liliaceae, Chenopodiaceae, Solanaceae, Compositae, Campanulaceae, Cornaceae, Rhamnaceae, ..
- Discovery of cyclotides in the fabaceae plant family provides new insights into the cyclization, evolution, and distribution of circular proteinsAaron G Poth
Institute for Molecular Bioscience, The University of Queensland, St Lucia, QLD, Australia
ACS Chem Biol 6:345-55. 2011..So far, >150 cyclotides have been elucidated from members of the Rubiaceae, Violaceae, and Cucurbitaceae plant families, but their wider distribution among other plant families remains unclear...
- Screening for alternative antibiotics: an investigation into the antimicrobial activities of medicinal food plants of MauritiusM F Mahomoodally
Dept of Health Sciences, Faculty of Science, Univ of Mauritius, Reduit, Mauritius
J Food Sci 75:M173-7. 2010..FF) and Pittosporum senacia (Pittosporaceae) (PS) and 2 exotic medicinal plants, Momordica charantia (Cucurbitaceae) (MC) and Ocimum tenuiflorum (Lamiaceae) (OT) that forms part of local pharmacopoeia of Mauritius and ..
- Papaya ringspot virus-P: characteristics, pathogenicity, sequence variability and controlSavarni Tripathi
USDA Pacific Basin Agricultural Research Center, 64 Nowelo Street, Hilo, Hawaii 96720, USA
Mol Plant Pathol 9:269-80. 2008..PRSV isolates belong to either one of two major strains, P or W. The P strains infect both papaya and cucurbits whereas the W strains infect only cucurbits...
- Melon fruits: genetic diversity, physiology, and biotechnology featuresHector G Núñez-Palenius
Plant Genetic Engineering Department, Guanajuato Campus Center of Research and Advanced Studies Cinvestav IPN, National Polytechnic Institute, Irapuato, Guanajuato, Mexico
Crit Rev Biotechnol 28:13-55. 2008Among Cucurbitaceae, Cucumis melo is one of the most important cultivated cucurbits...
- Zucchini yellow mosaic virus: insect transmission and pathogenicity -the tails of two proteinsAmit Gal-On
Department of Plant Pathology, Volcani Center ARO, Bet Dagan, 50250, Israel
Mol Plant Pathol 8:139-50. 2007..Host and symptoms: Natural and experimental infection has been reported mainly in the Cucurbitaceae. Experimental local lesion hosts include Chenopodium amaranticolour, C. quinoa and Gomphrena globosa...
- Development of a toxic bait for control of eastern lubber grasshopper (Orthoptera: Acrididae)Kathryn A Barbara
Department of Entomology and Nematology, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
J Econ Entomol 96:584-91. 2003..The plants tested from Liliaceae, Cucurbitaceae, Asteraceae, and Brassicaceae elicited an intermediate-to-low level of bait feeding.
- The evolution and loss of oil-offering flowers: new insights from dated phylogenies for angiosperms and beesS S Renner
Systematic Botany and Mycology, University of Munich, Menzinger Street 67, 80638 Munich, Germany
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 365:423-35. 2010..Using recent phylogenies, new data on oil-offering Cucurbitaceae, and molecular-dating, we ask when and how often oil-offering flowers and oil-foraging bees evolved, and how ..
- Tobacco streak virus isolated from lettuceF S Abtahi
Department of Plant Protection, Collage of Agriculture, University of Tehran, Karaj, Islamic Republic of Iran
Pak J Biol Sci 12:707-11. 2009..Karaj), Hashtgerd (Karaj), Tarand Balla (Varamin) and Deh mah sin (Pishva) were inoculated on 29 species of Cucurbitaceae, Amaranthaceae, Solanacea, Compositae, Leguminosae and Chenopodiacea...
- Anti-hyperglycemic and anti-oxidative effect of aqueous extract of Momordica charantia pulp and Trigonella foenum graecum seed in alloxan-induced diabetic ratsUma Nath Tripathi
Department of Biochemistry, Lucknow University, Lucknow 226007, India
Indian J Biochem Biophys 47:227-33. 2010..Momordica charantia (family: Cucurbitaceae) and Trigonella foenum graecum (family: Fabaceae) are used traditionally in Indian folk medicine to manage ..
- GLUTATHIONE TRANSFERASES IN HUMANS: DIETARY INFLUENCESJohanna Lampe; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Evolutionary Genomics of Supersized Mitochondrial GenomesANDREW ALVERSON; Fiscal Year: 2009..Remarkably, most of the inordinate size range in plants is encompassed by a single family, the Cucurbitaceae, whose mitochondrial genomes vary in size from 330 to 2,400 kb...
- HOST GENES AND COLONIC BACTERIA--PROBING FOR INHERITANCEJohanna Lampe; Fiscal Year: 2002..If we can establish that the equol-producer phenotype is an inherited trait, we can then work to identify the associated genotype and determine more effectively whether this is a biomarker of breast cancer risk. ..
- Breast Cancer, Benign Breast Disease, and Isoflavone Metabolism in Chinese WomenJohanna Lampe; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- UGT Polymorphisms and Hormonally-Mediated Biomarkers in Premenopausal WomenJohanna Lampe; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Human Gut Microflora Profiling for Population StudiesJohanna Lampe; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Expression of Therapeutic Proteins in the Whole LensDolores Takemoto; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Breast and Bone Density: Impact of Colonic EnvironmentJohanna Lampe; Fiscal Year: 2006..If equol-producer phenotype can predict differences in cumulative estrogen exposure / metabolism, it may serve as an early marker of breast cancer risk. ..
- DNA Damage: Fruit & Vegetable Effects in a Feeding TrialJohanna Lampe; Fiscal Year: 2005..The existing intervention provides an ideal design in which to evaluate the relationships between biotransformation enzyme systems and DNA damage in humans. ..
- Glucuronidation in Humans--Genotypes and PhenotypesJohanna Lampe; Fiscal Year: 2004..The randomized cross-over design will allow us to test efficiently for diet effects within individuals, as well as for gene-by-diet and sex-by-diet interactions. ..
- Hormone Status Postmenopause: Colonic Bacterial EffectsJohanna Lampe; Fiscal Year: 2003..The results of this study will provide novel data regarding the relationship of the equol-producer phenotype, a marker of colonic nticrofloral environment, to lifetime estrogen exposure. ..
- Serum IGFs--Effects of a Soy Intervention in HumansJohanna Lampe; Fiscal Year: 2002..It provides an ideal design to evaluate the effects of isoflavones on the IGF system and to explore relationships between IGFs and colonic epithelial cell proliferation in humans. ..
- PROTEIN KINASE C IN THE LENSDOLORES JEAN TAKEMOTO; Fiscal Year: 2010..Activation of these enzymes, using targeted drugs, could prevent or delay ocular damage during oxidative insult or ischemia. ..