Summary: A plant species of the family CARYOPHYLLACEAE. It is a source of SAPONINS. The common name "Soapwort" is also used with VACCARIA. The common name of "Bouncing Bet" is occasionally used with VIOLA.
Publications136 found, 100 shown here
- Analysis of bisdesmosidic saponins in Saponaria vaccaria L. by HPLC-PAD-MS: identification of new quillaic acid and gypsogenin 3-O-trisaccharidesJ John Balsevich
Plant Biotechnology Institute, National Research Council of Canada, 110 Gymnasium Place, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada S7N OW9
Phytochem Anal 17:414-23. 2006..array and single quadrupole electrospray mass detection for analysis and profiling of bisdesmosidic saponins in Saponaria vaccaria seed was developed...
- Saponin biosynthesis in Saponaria vaccaria. cDNAs encoding beta-amyrin synthase and a triterpene carboxylic acid glucosyltransferaseDauenpen Meesapyodsuk
Plant Biotechnology Institute, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada S7N OW9
Plant Physiol 143:959-69. 2007b>Saponaria vaccaria (Caryophyllaceae), a soapwort, known in western Canada as cowcockle, contains bioactive oleanane-type saponins similar to those found in soapbark tree (Quillaja saponaria; Rosaceae)...
- Saponaria officinalis karyology and karyotype by means of image analyzer and atomic force microscopyS Di Bucchianico
Department of Basic and Applied Biology, University of L Aquila, L Aquila, Italy
Microsc Res Tech 71:730-6. 2008The aim of this work was to offer a contribution to the characterization of taxonomic entity of Saponaria officinalis (2n = 28; an herbaceous perennial species; saporin, a type 1 Ribosome Inactivating Protein, is present in leaves and ..
- Effects of a Quillaja saponaria extract on growth performance and immune function of weanling pigs challenged with Salmonella typhimuriumJ L Turner
Department of Animal Sciences and Industry, Kansas State University, Manhattan 66506 0201, USA
J Anim Sci 80:1939-46. 2002..9 kg and 24 d of age) were used in a 28-d experiment to determine the effects of Quillaja saponaria extract (QS) on weanling pig growth performance and immune function in response to enteric disease challenge ..
- [The hypolipidemic action of the complex emulgator-stabilizer on the basis of laminal and a water extract from roots of alien Saponaria officinalis L. in experiment on the rat]T P Iudina
Vopr Pitan 77:76-9. 2008..action of the complex emulgator-stabilizer (CES) on the basis of a water extract from roots of strange (alien) Saponaria officinalis L and laminal in the ratio 1:1,5 has been made...
- Hypocholesterolemic property of Yucca schidigera and Quillaja saponaria extracts in human bodySang Woo Kim
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, Miz Medi Hospital, Seoul, Korea
Arch Pharm Res 26:1042-6. 2003This study was undertaken to observe the effects of the blend of partially purified Yucca schidigera and Quillaja saponaria extracts on cholesterol levels in the human's blood and gastrointestinal functions, and to determine if a new ..
- High efficiency Agrobacterium rhizogenes-mediated transformation of Saponaria vaccaria L. (Caryophyllaceae) using fluorescence selectionJanice F Schmidt
Plant Biotechnology Institute, 110 Gymnasium Place, S7N OW9 Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Plant Cell Rep 26:1547-54. 2007..efficient and convenient method for the Agrobacterium rhizogenes-dependent production of transformed roots of Saponaria vaccaria L. (Caryophyllaceae) is described. The parameters tested and optimized include S...
- Multidimensional profiling of components in complex mixtures of natural products for metabolic analysis, proof of concept: application to Quillaja saponinsJohan Bankefors
Department of Chemistry, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, P O Box 7015, SE 750 07 Uppsala, Sweden
J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 878:471-6. 2010..described procedure has proven useful to discern several hundreds of saponin components when applied to Quillaja saponaria Molina bark extracts...
- Polynucleotide:adenosine glycosidase activity of ribosome-inactivating proteins: effect on DNA, RNA and poly(A)L Barbieri
Dipartimento di Patologia sperimentale dell Università degli Studi di Bologna Via San Giacomo 14, I 40126 Bologna, Italy
Nucleic Acids Res 25:518-22. 1997..Recently we have shown that the RIP from Saponaria officinalis have a much wider substrate specificity: they are actually polynucleotide:adenosine glycosidases...
- Evaluation of antioxidant, antinociceptive, and anti-inflammatory activities of ethanol extracts from Aloe saponaria HawEun Ah Yoo
Laboratory of Physiology and Signaling, College of Veterinary Medicine, Kyungpook National University, Daegu, Republic of Korea
Phytother Res 22:1389-95. 2008..b>saponaria Haw...
- Recognition and killing of tumour cells expressing heat shock protein 65 kD with immunotoxins containing saporinF Poccia
Department of Biology, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Italy
Br J Cancer 66:427-32. 1992..Moreover, the MoAb ML30 was coupled to Saporin 6, a ribosome-inactivating protein recovered from the seeds of Saponaria officinalis, to kill HSP-expressing cells with a specific immunotoxin...
- Antiulcer activity of Sapindus saponaria L. in the ratAdriana L Meyer Albiero
Department of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, Universidade Estadual de Maringa, PR Avenida Colombo, 5790 CEP 87020 900, Maringa, PR, Brazil
J Ethnopharmacol 82:41-4. 2002Extracts of leaves and fruits of Sapindus saponaria L. were orally administered to rats and the parameters of gastric secretion (volume, pH and acidity) were evaluated after pylorus ligature...
- Ameliorating effect of saporin-conjugated anti-CD11b monoclonal antibody in a murine T-cell-mediated chronic colitisTakanori Kanai
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Graduate School of Medicine, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 21:1136-42. 2006..The present study was performed to explore the initial involvement of macrophages in the development of T-cell-mediated chronic colitis...
- Polynucleotide:adenosine glycosidase activity of saporin-L1: effect on various forms of mammalian DNAL Barbieri
Dipartimento di Patologia Sperimentale, Universita di Bologna, Via San Giacomo, 14, I 40126, Bologna, Italy
Biochim Biophys Acta 1480:258-66. 2000Saporin-L1 from the leaves of Saponaria officinalis belongs to a group of plant polynucleotide:adenosine glycosidases, known as ribosome-inactivating proteins due to their property of depurinating the major rRNA...
- New pharmacological properties of Medicago sativa and Saponaria officinalis saponin-rich fractions addressed to Candida albicansBeata Sadowska
Department of Infectious Biology, Faculty of Biology and Environmental Protection, University of Lodz, Banacha 12 16, 90 237 Lodz, Poland
J Med Microbiol 63:1076-86. 2014The antifungal activity of the saponin-rich fractions (SFs) from Medicago sativa (aerial parts and roots) and Saponaria officinalis (used as a well-known source of plant saponins) against Candida albicans reference and clinical strains, ..
- Anti-Trichomonas vaginalis activity of saponins from Quillaja, Passiflora, and Ilex speciesTábitha Dahmer Rocha
Laboratório de Fitoquímica e Síntese Orgânica, Departamento de Produção de Matéria Prima, Faculdade de Farmacia, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Av Ipiranga 2752, 90610 000, Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Parasitol Res 110:2551-6. 2012..Saponins from Passiflora alata and Quillaja saponaria presented the best anti-T. vaginalis activity (MIC = 0.025%)...
- Impact of Quillaja saponaria saponins on grapevine ecosystem organismsMarc J C Fischer
Univ Strasbourg, Inst Natl Recherche Agron, Métab Second Vigne, Unit Mixte Recherche Santé Vigne and Qual Vins, Colmar, France
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek 100:197-206. 2011..fermentation population were incubated on synthetic media supplemented with variable concentrations of Quillaja saponaria saponins. Saponins induced reduction in the growth of B. cinerea and showed nematicide effects on X. index...
- A trypsin inhibitor from Sapindus saponaria L. seeds: purification, characterization, and activity towards pest insect digestive enzymeMaria Ligia R Macedo
Laboratório de Purificação de Proteínas e suas Funções Biológicas, Departamento de Tecnologia de Alimentos e Saúde Pública, Centro de Ciencias Biologicas e da Saude, Universidade Federal do Mato Grosso do Sul UFMS, Cidade Universitária s n, Caixa Postal 549, Campo Grande, MS, CEP 79070 900, Brazil
Protein J 30:9-19. 2011..SSTI showed significant inhibitory activity against trypsin-like proteases present in the larval midgut on Anagasta kuehniella, Corcyra cephalonica, Diatreae saccharalis and Anticarsia gemmatalis...
- Feeding saponin-containing Yucca schidigera and Quillaja saponaria to decrease enteric methane production in dairy cowsL Holtshausen
Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada T1J 4B1
J Dairy Sci 92:2809-21. 2009..was conducted in vitro to determine whether the addition of saponin-containing Yucca schidigera or Quillaja saponaria reduces methane production without impairing ruminal fermentation or fiber digestion...
- Interactions between saporin, a ribosome-inactivating protein, and DNA: a study by atomic force microscopyA Poma
Department of Basic and Applied Biology, University of L Aquila, Via Vetoio, Coppito, L Aquila, Italy
J Microsc 217:69-74. 2005..force microscopy (AFM) has been used to study pGEM-4Z plasmid DNA binding to the saporin-SO6 (isoform from Saponaria officinalis seeds)...
- Effects of pressurized low polarity water extraction parameters on antioxidant properties and composition of cow cockle seed extractsOzlem Güçlü-Ustündağ
Pacific Agri Food Research Centre, Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, 4200 Highway 97, Summerland, BC, Canada, V0H 1Z0
Plant Foods Hum Nutr 64:32-8. 2009..94). These results point to the potential of PLPW extraction as a method to modify the activity of biological materials for the production of customized extracts...
- The effect of AZT and chloroquine on the activities of ricin and a saporin-transferrin chimeric toxinA R Lizzi
Department of Biomedical Sciences and Technologies, University of L Aquila, Via Vetoio snc, Loc Coppito, 67010 L Aquila, Italy
Biochem Pharmacol 70:560-9. 2005..a chimeric toxin (TS) obtained by chemical linking of saporin (a ribosome inactivating protein from the plant Saponaria officinalis) and human transferrin, in the intoxication of the human chronic myeloid leukaemia cells (K562)...
- Ribosome inactivating protein saporin induces apoptosis through mitochondrial cascade, independent of translation inhibitionDeepa Sikriwal
Immunochemistry Laboratory, National Institute of Immunology, Aruna Asaf Ali Marg, New Delhi 110067, India
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 40:2880-8. 2008..Saporin-6, expressed in the seeds of Saponaria officinalis plant, is a type I RIP comprising of a single polypeptide chain...
- The effects of Yucca schidigera and Quillaja saponaria on DNA damage, protein oxidation, lipid peroxidation, and some biochemical parameters in streptozotocin-induced diabetic ratsA Fatih Fidan
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Afyonkarahisar Kocatepe University, 03200 Afyonkarahisar, Turkey
J Diabetes Complications 22:348-56. 2008The aim of this study was to examine the effects of Yucca schidigera, Quillaja saponaria, and a mixture of both plants on streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Animals were allocated into five groups with 10 rats each...
- Specific interaction between tetrandrine and Quillaja saponins in promoting permeabilization of plasma membrane in human leukemic HL-60 cellsY M Leung
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Biochim Biophys Acta 1325:318-28. 1997..Exposure of the cells for 5 min to saponins from Quillaja saponaria (QS, 30 microg/ml), surfactants well known to permeabilize the plasma membrane by complexing with cholesterol, ..
- Revision of some Thecaphora species (Ustilaginomycotina) on CaryophyllaceaeKálmán Vánky
Herbarium Ustilaginales Vánky HUV, Gabriel Biel Str 5, D 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Mycol Res 111:1207-19. 2007..lat. from several caryophyllacean host plants belonging to the genera Cerastium, Dianthus, Petrorhagia, Saponaria, Silene, and Stellaria were studied by means of both LM, SEM, and molecular phylogenetic analyses using ITS and ..
- Saponins show high entomotoxicity by cell membrane permeation in LepidopteraEllen De Geyter
Laboratory of Agrozoology, Department of Crop Protection, Faculty of Bioscience Engineering, Ghent University, Belgium
Pest Manag Sci 68:1199-205. 2012..In addition, the entomotoxic action of Q. saponaria saponin with primary midgut cell cultures and larval stages of the cotton leafworm Spodoptera littoralis was ..
- Phenolic profiles of nectar and honey of Quillaja saponaria Mol. (Quillajaceae) as potential chemical markersGloria Montenegro
Departamento de Ciencias Vegetales, Facultad de Agronomía e Ingeniería Forestal, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Santiago, Chile
Biol Res 46:177-82. 2013Quillaja saponaria Mol. (Quillajaceae) is one of the most important melliferous species in Chile, mainly as a source of monofloral honey. Honey made by A...
- Antimicrobial activity, growth inhibition of human tumour cell lines, and phytochemical characterization of the hydromethanolic extract obtained from Sapindus saponaria L. aerial partsKhaled N Rashed
Pharmacognosy Department, National Research Centre, Dokki, Giza 12311, Egypt
Biomed Res Int 2013:659183. 2013The hydromethanolic extract of Sapindus saponaria L...
- ISCOMs: an adjuvant with multiple functionsA Sjolander
Immunology Department, CSL Limited, Parkville, Melbourne, Australia
J Leukoc Biol 64:713-23. 1998..about 40 nm that are built up by cholesterol, lipid, immunogen, and saponins from the bark of the tree Quillaia saponaria Molina...
- Oral QS-21 requires early IL-4 help for induction of mucosal and systemic immunityP N Boyaka
Department of Microbiology, University of Alabama, Medical Center, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
J Immunol 166:2283-90. 2001The highly purified saponin derivative, QS-21, from the Quillaja saponaria Molina tree has been proved to be safe for parenteral administration and represents a potential alternative to bacterial enterotoxin derivatives as a mucosal ..
- High-speed countercurrent chromatographic recovery and off-line electrospray ionization mass spectrometry profiling of bisdesmodic saponins from Saponaria officinalis possessing synergistic toxicity enhancing properties on targeted antitumor toxinsMayank Thakur
Institute for Laboratory Medicine, Clinical Chemistry and Pathobiochemistry, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Augustenburger Platz 1, Campus Virchow Klinikum, 13353 Berlin, Germany Electronic address
J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 955:1-9. 2014b>Saponaria officinalis L. (Caryophyllaceae), also known as fuller's herb or soapwort is a medicinal plant, which grows from Europe to Central Asia...
- Atomic model and micelle dynamics of QS-21 saponinConrado Pedebos
Centro de Biotecnologia, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Av Bento Goncalves 9500, CP 15005, Porto Alegre 91500 970, RS, Brazil
Molecules 19:3744-60. 2014QS-21 is a saponin extracted from Quillaja saponaria, widely investigated as a vaccine immunoadjuvant...
- Sexual dimorphism of staminate- and pistillate-phase flowers of Saponaria officinalis (bouncing bet) affects pollinator behavior and seed setSandra L Davis
University of Indianapolis, Department of Biology, Indianapolis, Indiana, United States of America
PLoS ONE 9:e93615. 2014..We examined staminate- and pistillate-phase flowers of protandrous Saponaria officinalis for dimorphism in floral traits and their effects on pollinator attraction and seed set...
- Unusual penetration of phospholipid mono- and bilayers by Quillaja bark saponin biosurfactantKamil Wojciechowski
Faculty of Chemistry, Warsaw University of Technology, Noakowskiego 3, 00 664 Warsaw, Poland Electronic address
Biochim Biophys Acta 1838:1931-40. 2014..DPPC) and a biosurfactant Quillaja Bark Saponin (QBS) obtained from the bark of Quillaja saponaria Molina were studied using simple models of biological membranes...
- Altered immunomodulating and toxicological properties of degraded Quillaja saponaria Molina saponinsD J Marciani
Galenica Pharmaceuticals, Inc, Frederick, MD 21701, USA
Int Immunopharmacol 1:813-8. 2001....
- In vivo delivery of bovine viral diahorrea virus, E2 protein using hollow mesoporous silica nanoparticlesD Mahony
Queensland Alliance for Agriculture and Food Innovation, The University of Queensland, St Lucia, QLD 4072, Australia
Nanoscale 6:6617-26. 2014..250 μg HMSA was compared to immunisation with Opti-E2 (50 μg) together with the traditional adjuvant Quillaja saponaria Molina tree saponins (QuilA, 10 μg)...
- B-cell restricted saporin immunotoxins: activity against B-cell lines and chronic lymphocytic leukemia cellsM Bregni
Division of Medical Oncology, Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Milano, Italy
Blood 73:753-62. 1989..anti-B monoclonal antibodies to saporin, the major ribosome inactivating protein from the seeds of the plant Saponaria officinalis. HD37-SAP is directed against CD19, the broadest B cell-specific determinant...
- Accumulation of a bioactive triterpene saponin fraction of Quillaja brasiliensis leaves is associated with abiotic and biotic stressesFernanda de Costa
Department of Botany, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul UFRGS, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Plant Physiol Biochem 66:56-62. 2013..a native species from Southern Brazil, show structural and functional similarities to those of Quillaja saponaria barks, which are currently used as adjuvants in vaccine formulations...
- Vaccination against Strongyloides venezuelensis with homologue antigens using new immunomodulatorsJohnny Vlaminck
Laboratorio de Parasitologia, Facultad de Farmacia, CIETUS, Universidad de Salamanca, Avda Licenciado Méndez Nieto, 37007 Salamanca, Spain
J Parasitol 96:643-7. 2010..Moreover, we included saponins from Quillaja saponaria (Qs) and immunomodulatory substances, i.e...
- Effects of S. officinalis L. radix triterpene glycosides on innate immunity factorsT A Kuznetsova
Research Institute of Epidemiology and Microbiology, Siberian Division of the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, Vladivostok, Russia
Bull Exp Biol Med 156:366-9. 2014The effects of triterpene glycosides (saponins) extracted from Saponaria officinalis L. radices, on the cellular and humoral innate immunity factors were studied...
- New triterpenoid saponins from the roots of Saponaria officinalisBarbara Moniuszko-Szajwaj
Department of Biochemistry, Institute of Soil Science and Plant Cultivation, State Research Institute, Czartoryskich 8, 24 100 Pulawy, Poland
Nat Prod Commun 8:1687-90. 2013Three new triterpenoid saponins (1-3), along with nine known saponins, were isolated from the roots of Saponaria officinalis L. Two of them: vaccaroside D (4) and dianchinenoside B (5) are known, but not previously reported for S...
- Structure-activity relationships of saponins enhancing the cytotoxicity of ribosome-inactivating proteins type I (RIP-I)Stefan Böttger
Institut fur Pharmazie, Freie Universitat Berlin, Konigin Luise Str 2 4, 14195 Berlin, Germany
Toxicon 73:144-50. 2013..saponins for their non-synergistic, as well as their synergistic cytotoxicity with the RIP-I saporin from Saponaria officinalis L. (Caryophyllaceae)...
- Effects of quillaja saponin (Quillaja saponaria) on early embryonic zebrafish (Danio rerio) developmentSherif M Hassan
Poultry Science Department, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Texas A and M University, College Station, Texas 77843 4458, USA
Int J Toxicol 27:273-8. 2008..Quillaja saponin, extracted from bark of the tree, Quillaja saponaria, is a common foaming agent used in foods and beverages...
- Immunomodulation of the response to excretory/secretory antigens of Fasciola hepatica by Anapsos in Balb/C mice and rat alveolar macrophagesJulio López-Abán
Laboratorio de Parasitologia, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad de Salamanca, Avda Campo Charro s n, 37007 Salamanca, Spain
J Parasitol 93:428-32. 2007..In this work we assess the effect of Anapsos and ESFh and Quillaja saponaria extract (Qs) on BALB/c mice and rat alveolar macrophages...
- Role of Myzus persicae (Hemiptera: Aphididae) and its secondary hosts in plum pox virus propagationB Manachini
Institute of Agricultural Entomology, University of Milan, via Celoria 2 1, 20133 Milan, Italy
J Econ Entomol 100:1047-52. 2007..The results indicate that Saponaria ocymoides L., Pisum sativum L., Trifolium repens L., Trifolium pratense L., Lepidium sativum L...
- The cytotoxic activity of ribosome-inactivating protein saporin-6 is attributed to its rRNA N-glycosidase and internucleosomal DNA fragmentation activitiesShveta Bagga
Immunochemistry Laboratory, National Institute of Immunology, Aruna Asaf Ali Road, New Delhi 110067, India
J Biol Chem 278:4813-20. 2003Saporin-6 produced by the plant Saponaria officinalis belongs to the family of single chain ribosome-inactivating proteins...
- Degradation of Quillaja saponaria Molina saponins: loss of the protective effects of a herpes simplex virus 1 subunit vaccineDante J Marcian
Galenica Pharmaceuticals, Inc, Birmingham, AL 35344, USA
Int Immunopharmacol 2:1703-11. 2002..Increasing the dose of DS-saponins tenfold resulted in a marginal increase in protection. These results show that degradation of Q. saponins during storage can have a deleterious effect on vaccines' efficacies...
- Enzymatic specificity of three ribosome-inactivating proteins against fungal ribosomes, and correlation with antifungal activitySang Wook Park
Department of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA
Planta 216:227-34. 2002..saporin-S6 (from Saponaria officinalis L...
- Triterpene saponins of Quillaja saponaria show strong aphicidal and deterrent activity against the pea aphid Acyrthosiphon pisumEllen De Geyter
Department of Crop Protection, Faculty of Bioscience Engineering, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium
Pest Manag Sci 68:164-9. 2012..Four saponins were selected: two triterpene saponins, Q. saponaria saponins and aescin, and two steroidal saponins, digitonin and diosgenin...
- QS-21 structure/function studies: effect of acylation on adjuvant activityGui Liu
Antigenics Inc, 175 Crossing Boulevard, Framingham, MA 01702 4473, USA
Vaccine 20:2808-15. 2002QS-21 is a natural saponin adjuvant derived from the tree Quillaja saponaria Molina. Previous studies over a limited dose range suggested the acylation is critical to adjuvant activity...
- Effects of Sapindus saponaria fruits on ruminal fermentation and duodenal nitrogen flow of sheep fed a tropical grass diet with and without legumeA Abreu
Department of Animal Production, National University of Colombia, Bogota, Colombia
J Anim Sci 82:1392-400. 2004..6% CP, DM basis) in a 3:1 ratio (DM basis). In addition, 0 or 8 g of DM of Sapindus saponaria fruits (12.0% crude saponins, DM basis) per kilogram of metabolic BW was administered intraruminally...
- Application of Quillaja saponaria extracts as oral adjuvants for plant-made vaccinesDwayne D Kirk
Arizona State University, School of Life Sciences, Mail Code 4501, Tempe, Arizona 85287 4501, USA
Expert Opin Biol Ther 4:947-58. 2004Extracts from the Quillaja saponaria tree are known to provide immune potentiating responses and, hence, can be useful as adjuvants...
- Surface shear rheology of saponin adsorption layersKonstantin Golemanov
Department of Chemical Engineering, Faculty of Chemistry and Pharmacy, Sofia University, Sofia, Bulgaria
Langmuir 28:12071-84. 2012..Langmuir 2011, 27, 12486-12498), we showed that the triterpenoid saponins extracted from Quillaja saponaria plant (Quillaja saponins) formed adsorption layers with unusually high surface dilatational elasticity, 280 ± ..
- Differences in X-ray absorption due to cadmium treatment in Saponaria officinalis leavesLucia Reale
Universita di L Aquila, Dipartimento di Fisica and INFM, INFN LNGS, 67010, Coppito L Aquila, Italy
Microsc Res Tech 64:21-9. 2004A method for detecting cadmium uptake in leaves of Saponaria officinalis doped with a solution of cadmium acetate is described...
- Pulcherrimasaponin, from the leaves of Calliandra pulcherrima, as adjuvant for immunization in the murine model of visceral leishmaniasisBernadete Pereira da Silva
Laboratório de Química de Plantas Medicinais, Nucleo de Pesquisas de Produtos Naturais, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, P O Box 68045, CEP 21944 970 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Vaccine 23:1061-71. 2005..shows remarkable similarities to the previously described potent adjuvant, QS21 saponin (Quillaja saponaria Molina)...
- Vaccination of mice and sheep with Fh12 FABP from Fasciola hepatica using the new adjuvant/immunomodulator system ADADA R Martinez-Fernandez
Departamento de Parasitologia, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad Complutense, Pza Ramón y Cajal s n, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Vet Parasitol 126:287-98. 2004..The first injection contains a micelle in which two components are included, saponin from Quillaja saponaria (Qs) and/or Anapsos (A) a Polypodium leucotomos hydroalcoholic extract, both emulsified in a non-mineral oil (..
- Antinociceptive activity of Quillaja saponaria Mol. saponin extract, quillaic acid and derivatives in miceSylvia Arrau
Department of Pharmacological and Toxicological Chemistry, Faculty of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Chile, Santiago, Chile
J Ethnopharmacol 133:164-7. 2011Quillaja saponaria bark contains a high percentage of triterpene saponins and has been used for centuries as a cleansing and analgesic agent in Chilean folk medicine.
- [Membranotropic effect of some triterpene glycosides possessing immunostimulating properties]I A Lee
Biofizika 53:462-9. 2008..holotoxin A1 and cucumarioside A2-2, respectively) were studied in comparison with plant saponins from Quillaja saponaria, known as hemolytic, adjuvant, and structure-forming components of immunostimulating complexes...
- Spermicidal and anti-Trichomonas vaginalis activity of Brazilian Sapindus saponariaEdilson Damke
Department of Clinical Analysis and Biomedicine, Division of Clinical Cytology, State University of Maringa, Maringa, Paraná 4860, Brazil
BMC Complement Altern Med 13:196. 2013Sapindus saponaria is used traditionally for curing ulcers, external wounds and inflammations. The spermicidal and anti-Trichomonas activity of S. saponaria and its effect on Lactobacillus acidophilus were evaluated.
- The two-step biosynthesis of cyclic peptides from linear precursors in a member of the plant family Caryophyllaceae involves cyclization by a serine protease-like enzymeCarla J S Barber
National Research Council of Canada, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan S7N 0W9, Canada
J Biol Chem 288:12500-10. 2013Caryophyllaceae-type cyclic peptides (CPs) of 5-12 proteinogenic amino acids occur in 10 plant families. In Saponaria vaccaria (Caryophyllaceae), they have been shown to be formed from linear peptide precursors derived from ribosomal ..
- Micellar aggregates of saponins from Chenopodium quinoa: characterization by dynamic light scattering and transmission electron microscopyS G Verza
Programa de Pós Graduação em Ciências Farmacêuticas, Faculdade de Farmacia, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil
Pharmazie 67:288-92. 2012..Under experimental conditions similar to those reported for the preparation of Quillaja saponaria ISCOM matrices, tubular and ring-like micelles arose from FQ70:CHOL:PC and FQ90:CHOL:PC formulations, ..
- Synthesis and structure verification of the vaccine adjuvant QS-7-Api. Synthetic access to homogeneous Quillaja saponaria immunostimulantsKai Deng
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue, New York, New York 10065, USA
J Am Chem Soc 130:5860-1. 2008QS-7-Api is an exceedingly potent immuno-adjuvant isolated from the bark of Quillaja saponaria. It is significantly less toxic than QS-21, a related saponin that is currently the favored adjuvant in anticancer and antiviral vaccine ..
- Mannan from Aloe saponaria inhibits tumoral cell activation and proliferationM Cecilia Sampedro
Departamento de Química Biológica CIQUIBIC, Facultad Ciencias Quimicas, Universidad Nacional de Cordoba, Cuidad Universitaria, C5000GYA Córdoba 5016, Argentina
Int Immunopharmacol 4:411-8. 2004In this study, we tested the antiproliferative effects of mannan from Aloe saponaria using normal murine (SpMC) and human cells (PBMC) and several tumoral cell lines...
- Crystallization and preliminary X-ray study of saporin, a ribosome-inactivating protein from Saponaria officinalisC Savino
Department of Biochemical Sciences and CNR, Centre for Molecular Biology, Universita di Roma La Sapienza, Piazzale Aldo Moro 5, 00185 Rome, Italy
Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr 54:636-8. 1998..53 and c = 119. 67 A, and diffract to 2.0 A resolution on a rotating-anode X-ray source. The asymmetric unit contains one molecule, corresponding to a volume of the asymmetric unit per unit mass (Vm) of 2.38 A3 Da-1...
- The unusual stability of saporin, a candidate for the synthesis of immunotoxinsS Santanché
Dipartimento di Scienze Biochimiche Alessandro Rossi Fanelli, Universita di Roma La Sapienza, Italy
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 234:129-32. 1997Saporin, a monomeric protein extracted from the seeds of Saponaria officinalis, is an enzyme capable of specific depurination of the eukaryotic ribosomes...
- A multivalent bcr-abl fusion peptide vaccination trial in patients with chronic myeloid leukemiaKathleen Cathcart
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Ave, New York, NY 10021, USA
Blood 103:1037-42. 2004..phase 2 trial, 14 patients with CML in chronic phase were vaccinated with 6 fusion peptides mixed with Quillaja saponaria (QS-21). No significant toxic effects were observed...
- Ribosome-inactivating proteins from the seeds of Saponaria officinalis L. (soapwort), of Agrostemma githago L. (corn cockle) and of Asparagus officinalis L. (asparagus), and from the latex of Hura crepitans L. (sandbox tree)F Stirpe
Biochem J 216:617-25. 1983..to those already known [Barbieri & Stirpe (1982) Cancer Surveys 1, 489-520] were purified from the seeds of Saponaria officinalis (two proteins), of Agrostemma githago (three proteins), and of Asparagus officinalis (three proteins)..
- Intramolecular interchain reactions in bidesmosidic glycosides, a new insight into carbohydrate rearrangements induced by electrospray ionisationFabrizio Dal Piaz
Dipartimento di Scienze Farmaceutiche, Universita degli Studi di Salerno, Via Ponte Don Melillo, 84084 Fisciano SA, Italy
Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 21:286-96. 2007..components of widely used herbal drugs and pharmaceutical preparations; ginseng, Tribulus terrestris, Quillaja saponaria, and Digitalis ssp. are just a few examples...
- Effects of saponins against clinical E. coli strains and eukaryotic cell lineMichał Arabski
Department of Microbiology, Institute of Biology, Jan Kochanowski University in Kielce, Kielce, Poland
J Biomed Biotechnol 2012:286216. 2012..In this study, the effects of saponins from Quillaja saponaria were analyzed against prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells. Multidrug-resistant clinical E...
- The use of commercial saponin from Quillaja saponaria bark as a natural larvicidal agent against Aedes aegypti and Culex pipiensD Pelah
The Institutes for Applied Research, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva 84105, Israel
J Ethnopharmacol 81:407-9. 2002The larvicidal activity of commercial bark saponin extract (Sigma) from Quillaja saponaria was studied on 3rd-4th instar larvae of Aedes aegypti and Culex pipiens (vectors for dengue fever and Western Nile virus, respectively)...
- Effect of dietary saponins from Quillaja saponaria L. on fatty acid composition and cholesterol content in muscle Longissimus dorsi of lambsD M R Brogna
1University of Catania, Dipartimento di Scienze delle Produzioni Agrarie e Alimentari, Via Valdisavoia 5, 95123, Catania, Italy
Animal 5:1124-30. 2011The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effects of increasing levels of saponins from Quillaja saponaria on fatty acid (FA) composition and cholesterol content in muscle Longissimus dorsi of lambs...
- Anti-snake venom activities of extracts and fractions from callus cultures of Sapindus saponariaMarcos L da Silva
Unidade de Biotecnologia, Universidade de Ribeirao Preto, UNAERP, Ribeirao Preto SP, Brazil
Pharm Biol 50:366-75. 2012Sapindus saponaria L. (Sapindaceae) bark, root, and fruits are used as sedatives and to treat gastric ulcer and also demonstrate diuretic and expectorant effects.
- Diversity of foliar endophytic fungi from the medicinal plant Sapindus saponaria L. and their localization by scanning electron microscopyAdriana Garcia
Department of Cell Biology and Genetics, Universidade Estadual de Maringa, Brasil
Biol Res 45:139-48. 2012..In folk medicine, the bark, roots and fruits of Sapindus saponaria is used to produce substances with anxiolytic, astringent, diuretic and expectorant properties, as well as ..
- An immunotoxin containing a rat IgM monoclonal antibody (Campath 1) and saporin 6: effect on T lymphocytes and hemopoietic cellsP L Tazzari
Istituto di Ematologia L and A Seragnoli, Bologna, Italy
Cancer Immunol Immunother 26:231-6. 1988..We used saporin 6 purified from Saponaria officinalis seeds, which was conjugated with the rat IgM monoclonal antibody Campath 1 specific for mature T and ..
- Targeted tumor therapy by epidermal growth factor appended toxin and purified saponin: an evaluation of toxicity and therapeutic potential in syngeneic tumor bearing miceMayank Thakur
Institut für Laboratoriumsmedizin, Klinische Chemie und Pathobiochemie, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Hindenburgdamm 30, D 12200 Berlin, Germany
Mol Oncol 7:475-83. 2013..1 μg Sap3-EGF per treatment. A more than 90% reduction (p < 0.05) in the average tumor volume was observed by this combined therapy...
- Electrospray ionization ion-trap multiple-stage mass spectrometry of Quillaja saponinsJohan Bankefors
Department of Chemistry, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, P O Box 7015, SE 750 07 Uppsala, Sweden
J Mass Spectrom 46:658-65. 2011Fifteen identified C-18 fatty acyl-containing saponin structures from Quillaja saponaria Molina have been investigated by electrospray ionization ion-trap multiple-stage mass spectrometry (ESI-IT-MS(n)) in positive ion mode...
- Saponins do not affect the ecdysteroid receptor complex but cause membrane permeation in insect culture cell linesEllen De Geyter
Laboratory of Agrozoology, Department of Crop Protection, Faculty of Bioscience Engineering, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium
J Insect Physiol 58:18-23. 2012..In continuation, it was of interest that (4) a trypan blue assay with Q. saponaria saponin confirmed the cell membrane permeation effect leading to cell toxicity with a median lethal ..
- Antiproliferative activity of Saponaria vaccaria constituents and related compoundsJ John Balsevich
Plant Biotechnology Institute, National Research Council of Canada, 110 Gymnasium Place, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Fitoterapia 83:170-81. 2012Total methanolic extracts of Saponaria vaccaria seed derived from several varieties, as well as various purified components obtained through successive chromatographic separations of total extracts were evaluated for their growth ..
- Immunization with an adjuvant hepatitis B vaccine after liver transplantation for hepatitis B-related diseaseUlrich Bienzle
Institute of Tropical Medicine, Charite, Humboldt University, Spandauer Damm 130, 14050 Berlin, Germany
Hepatology 38:811-9. 2003..hepatitis B s antigen formulated with the new adjuvants 3-deacylated monophosphoryl lipid A (MPL) and Quillaja saponaria (QS21) (group I/vaccine A: 20 microg HBsAg, 50 microg MPL, 50 microg QS21; group II/vaccine B: 100 microg HBsAg, ..
- Liquid-chromatographic profiling of Saponinum album (Merck)A Weng
Institut für Laboratoriumsmedizin, Klinische Chemie und Pathobiochemie, Charite Universitatsmedizin, Berlin, Germany
Pharmazie 66:744-6. 2011..that Saponinum album (Merck) dramatically enhances the toxicity of the N-glycosylase saporin from the seeds of Saponaria officinalis L. as well as the toxicity of a saporin based anti-tumor toxin...
- Composition of epiphytic bacterial communities differs on petals and leavesR R Junker
Department of Animal Ecology and Tropical Biology, University of Wurzburg, Biozentrum, Wurzburg, Germany
Plant Biol (Stuttg) 13:918-24. 2011..We identified bacteria isolated from the surface of petals and leaves of two plant species, Saponaria officinalis (Caryophyllaceae) and Lotus corniculatus (Fabaceae)...
- In vivo activity of Sapindus saponaria against azole-susceptible and -resistant human vaginal Candida speciesEdilson Damke
Department of Clinical Analysis and Biomedicine, State University of Maringa, Parana, Brazil
BMC Complement Altern Med 11:35. 2011Study of in vivo antifungal activity of the hydroalcoholic extract (HE) and n-BuOH extract (BUTE) of Sapindus saponaria against azole-susceptible and -resistant human vaginal Candida spp.
- Characterization of in vivo anti-rotavirus activities of saponin extracts from Quillaja saponaria MolinaKa Ian Tam
The University of Texas Arlington, Department of Biology, Arlington, TX 76019, USA
Antiviral Res 90:231-41. 2011..We believe that Quillaja extracts have promise as antivirals to reduce rotavirus infection and the severity of the disease in humans...
- Surface rheology of saponin adsorption layersR Stanimirova
Department of Chemical Engineering, Faculty of Chemistry, Sofia University, 1 J Bourchier Avenue, 1164 Sofia, Bulgaria
Langmuir 27:12486-98. 2011Extracts of the Quillaja saponaria tree contain natural surfactant molecules called saponins that very efficiently stabilize foams and emulsions. Therefore, such extracts are widely used in several technologies...
- The biosynthesis of Caryophyllaceae-like cyclic peptides in Saponaria vaccaria L. from DNA-encoded precursorsJanet A Condie
Plant Biotechnology Institute, 110 Gymnasium Place, Saskatoon, SK S7NOW9, Canada
Plant J 67:682-90. 2011..A collection of expressed sequence tags from developing seeds of Saponaria vaccaria was investigated for information about CP biosynthesis...
- Natural and synthetic saponin adjuvant QS-21 for vaccines against cancerGovind Ragupathi
Laboratory of Tumor Vaccinology, Melanoma and Sarcoma Service, Department of Medicine, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10065, USA
Expert Rev Vaccines 10:463-70. 2011..immunological adjuvants is a mixture of soluble triterpene glycosides purified from the soap bark tree (Quillaja saponaria)...
- Immunotoxins and other conjugates containing saporin-s6 for cancer therapyLetizia Polito
Department of Experimental Pathology, Alma Mater Studiorum University of Bologna, Via San Giacomo 14, 40126 Bologna, Italy
Toxins (Basel) 3:697-720. 2011..Saporin-S6, a type 1 RIP extracted from Saponaria officinalis L...
- Use of meristem tip culture to eliminate carnation latent virus from carnation plantsManisha Mangal
Department of Biotechnology, Dr Y S Parmar University of Horticulture and Forestry, Nauni, Solan 173 230, India
Indian J Exp Biol 40:119-22. 2002..amaranticolor, Dianthus barbatus and Saponaria vaccaria. Murashige and Skoog'smedium (MS) supplemented with NAA (1.0 microM) and Kn (20...
- Isolation and quantification of Quillaja saponaria Molina saponins and lipids in iscom-matrix and iscomsS Behboudi
Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Department of Veterinary Microbiology, Uppsala
Vaccine 13:1690-6. 1995..The procedures described should also be useful to adequately define constituents in prospective vaccines...
- Immunoconjugates made of an anti-EGF receptor monoclonal antibody and type 1 ribosome-inactivating proteins from Saponaria ocymoides or Vaccaria pyramidataA M Di Massimo
Menarini Ricerche SpA, Department of Biotechnology, Pomezia, Rome, Italy
Br J Cancer 75:822-8. 1997..linked to the type 1 ribosome-inactivating proteins (RIPs) ocymoidine (Ocy) and pyramidatine (Pyra) from Saponaria ocymoides and Vaccaria pyramidata respectively...
- QS-21 and QS-7: purified saponin adjuvantsC R Kensil
Aquila Biopharmaceuticals, Inc, Worcester, MA, USA
Dev Biol Stand 92:41-7. 1998QS-21 and QS-7 are two adjuvant-active saponins that can be obtained in high purity from Quillaja saponaria Molina extracts...
- The plant ribosome inactivating protein saporin induces micronucleus formation in peripheral human lymphocytes in vitroA Poma
Department of Basic and Applied Biology, Faculty of Sciences, University of L Aquila, Italy
Toxicol Lett 105:67-73. 1999..In this work we analyzed the genotoxic effects of saporin, purified from root cultures of Saponaria officinalis, by evaluating micronucleus formation and by the quantitative determination of cytosolic histone-..
- Preparation and characterisation of quillaja saponin with less heterogeneity than Quil-AS Kamstrup
Danish Veterinary Institute for Virus Research, Lindholm, DK 4771, Kalvehave, Denmark
Vaccine 18:2244-9. 2000..One such type of adjuvant is saponin derived from the bark of Quillaja saponaria Molina, a tree of the rose family...
- Development of semisynthetic triterpenoid saponin derivatives with immune stimulating activityD J Marciani
Galenica Pharmaceuticals, Inc, Frederick, MD 21701, USA
Vaccine 18:3141-51. 2000Aldehyde-containing triterpene saponins have adjuvant properties, but only those from Quillaja saponaria Molina stimulate the production of cytotoxic T lymphocytes (CTL) against exogenous antigens...
- Stimulatory effect of some plant extracts used in homeopathy on the phagocytosis induced chemiluminescence of polymorphonuclear leukocytesD O Crocnan
Department of Biochemistry, University of Medicine and Pharmacy Bucharest, Romania
Rocz Akad Med Bialymst 45:246-54. 2000..The high stimulatory action was noticed when extracts from Uvae Ursi and Saponaria were tested, as the classical effect exerted by zymosan was exceeded...
- Selective lesions of rabbit extraocular muscles injected with the anti-AChR immunotoxin saporin-mAb 73Emilio C Campos
Ophthalmology Unit, University of Bologna, School of Medicine, Bologna, Italy
Curr Eye Res 24:58-65. 2002....
- Conjugation of an anti transferrin receptor IgG3-avidin fusion protein with biotinylated saporin results in significant enhancement of its cytotoxicity against malignant hematopoietic cellsTracy R Daniels
Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1782, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 6:2995-3008. 2007..of a conjugate composed of anti-hTfR IgG3-Av and biotinylated saporin 6 (b-SO6), a toxin derived from the plant Saponaria officinalis that inhibits protein synthesis...
- Solid-phase extraction NMR studies of chromatographic fractions of saponins from Quillaja saponariaNils T Nyberg
Department of Chemistry, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Sweden
Anal Chem 75:268-74. 2003The saponin mixture QH-B from the tree Quillaja saponaria var. Molina was fractionated by RP-HPLC in several steps...
- Topical anti-inflammatory activity of quillaic acid from Quillaja saponaria Mol. and some derivativesMaité Rodríguez-Díaz
Department of Pharmacological and Toxicological Chemistry, Faculty of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Chile, Santiago, Chile
J Pharm Pharmacol 63:718-24. 2011Quillaic acid is the major aglycone of the widely studied saponins of the Chilean indigenous tree Quillaja saponaria Mol...
- Alum-type adjuvant effect of non-haemolytic saponins purified from Ilex and Passiflora sppF Silveira
Laboratorio de Carbohidratos y Glicoconjugados, Departamento de Desarrollo Biotecnológico Departamento de Química Orgánica, Facultad de Medicina Química, Instituto de Higiene, Alfredo Navarro 3051, CP 11600, Montevideo, Uruguay
Phytother Res 25:1783-8. 2011..Mice were immunized twice with TT formulated with pure saponins 1-5, or with a mixture of saponins from Quillaja saponaria, aluminum hydroxide gel or saline, which were used as controls...
- Antibody-mediated Gene Therapy for the Treatment of CancerTRACY RUTH DANIELS-WELLS; Fiscal Year: 2013..The first gene encodes the toxin saporin, a ribosomal inactivating protein that is derived from the plant Saponaria officinialis...
- New Adjuvant Technologies for a Marburg Virus VaccineAshish Pathak; Fiscal Year: 2005..Saponins, especially from Gypsophilla species, Saponaria officinalis, and Quillaja saponaria Molina, possess potent immunomodulating activity (both humoral and cell ..
- In Vivo Antiviral Activity of SaponinsMICHAEL RONER; Fiscal Year: 2007unreadable] DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Natural, aqueous extracts of Quillaja Saponaria, the Chilean Soap Bark Tree, contain several physiologically active triterpenoid saponins that display strong antiviral activity...