Summary: A plant genus of the family BRASSICACEAE. Nasturtium is also used as a common name for TROPAEOLUM. The common name of watercress is also used for RORIPPA & TROPAEOLUM. This is the most popular of the edible cresses, is a hardy creeping perennial plant, native to Europe but extensively naturalized elsewhere in moist places.
- Sorption of cadmium and effects on growth, protein content, and photosynthetic pigment composition of Nasturtium officinale R. Br. and Mentha aquatica LM Aslan
Biology Department, University of Harran, 63100 Sanliurfa, Turkey
Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 71:323-9. 2003
- Production of two volatile glucosinolate hydrolysis compounds in Nasturtium montanum and Cleome chelidonii plant cell culturesT Songsak
School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Science, University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9PL, UK
Fitoterapia 75:296-301. 2004Callus and suspension cultures established from Nasturtium montanum and Cleome chelidonii were shown to produce glucosinolates by analysis of their hydrolysis products...
- A randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of a herbal medicinal product containing Tropaeoli majoris herba (Nasturtium) and Armoraciae rusticanae radix (Horseradish) for the prophylactic treatment of patients with chronically recurrent lower urUwe Albrecht
Mediconomics GmbH, Hannover, Germany
Curr Med Res Opin 23:2415-22. 2007....
- The effect of temperature, photoperiod, and light quality on gluconasturtiin concentration in watercress (Nasturtium officinale R. Br.)Gerard Engelen-Eigles
Department of Horticultural Science, University of Minnesota, 1970 Folwell Avenue, 305 Alderman Hall, St Paul, Minnesota 55108, USA
J Agric Food Chem 54:328-34. 2006The effects of different growth regimes on gluconasturtiin concentration in watercress (Nasturtium officinale R. Br.) were investigated. Watercress plantlets at the 5th mature leaf stage (ca...
- [Efficacy and safety profile of a herbal drug containing nasturtium herb and horseradish root in acute sinusitis, acute bronchitis and acute urinary tract infection in comparison with other treatments in the daily practice/results of a prospective cohort Karl Heinz Goos
Repha GmbH, Biologische Arzneimittel, Langenhagen
Arzneimittelforschung 56:249-57. 2006..The patients were treated either with the nasturtium herb and horseradish root containing herbal drug Angocin Anti-Infekt N (test group, n = 1223) or with standard ..
- [In vitro study to evaluate the antibacterial activity of a combination of the haulm of nasturtium (Tropaeoli majoris herba) and of the roots of horseradish (Armoraciae rusticanae radix)]Andreas Conrad
Institut fur Umweltmedizin und Krankenhaushygiene, Universitäitsklinikum Freiburg, Breisacher Strasse 115B, 79106 Freiburg Brsg, Germany
Arzneimittelforschung 56:842-9. 2006..properties of a commercialized preparation (Angocin Anti-Infekt N) containing a combination of the haulm of nasturtium (Tropaeoli majoris herba; N) and of the roots of horseradish (Armoraciae rusticanae radix; H)...
- Nasturtium officinale reduces oxidative stress and enhances antioxidant capacity in hypercholesterolaemic ratsRazieh Yazdanparast
Institute of Biochemistry and Biophysics, P O Box 13145 1384, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
Chem Biol Interact 172:176-84. 2008b>Nasturtium officinale R. Br. (Brassicaceae) has been used as a home remedy by the people of south eastern (SE) region of Iran as a medicinal plant. This therapeutical application has been attributed to Nasturtium officinale (N...
- Seed-specific heterologous expression of a nasturtium FAE gene in Arabidopsis results in a dramatic increase in the proportion of erucic acidElzbieta Mietkiewska
National Research Council of Canada, Plant Biotechnology Institute, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada S7N 0W9
Plant Physiol 136:2665-75. 2004..is the first component of the elongation complex involved in synthesis of erucic acid (22:1) in seeds of garden nasturtium (Tropaeolum majus)...
- Ontogenic variations of ascorbic acid and phenethyl isothiocyanate concentrations in watercress (Nasturtium officinale R.Br.) leavesUsha R Palaniswamy
School of Allied Health Asian American Studies, U 2101, Agricultural Biotechnology Center, U 4163, University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut 06269, USA
J Agric Food Chem 51:5504-9. 2003Watercress (Nasturtium officinale R.Br.) is the richest source of glucosinolate nasturtiin, which on hydrolysis produces phenethyl isothiocyante (PEITC)...
- Larval performance of the mustard leaf beetle (Phaedon cochleariae, Coleoptera, Chrysomelidae) on white mustard (Sinapis alba) and watercress (Nasturtium officinale) leaves in dependence of plant exposure to ultraviolet radiationKerstin Reifenrath
Universitat Wurzburg, Julius von Sachs Institut fur Biowissenschaften, Julius von Sachs Platz 3, D 97082 Wurzburg, Germany
Environ Pollut 157:2053-60. 2009..UV) radiation resulted in shifts in plant metabolite concentrations of the Brassicaceae Sinapis alba and Nasturtium officinale. Leaf quality also varied between plant species and within species due to age...
- Effect of hydroalcoholic extracts of Nasturtium officinale leaves on lipid profile in high-fat diet ratsSeifollah Bahramikia
Institute of Biochemistry and Biophysics, PO Box 13145 1384, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
J Ethnopharmacol 115:116-21. 2008b>Nasturtium officinale R. Br. (Brassicaceae) is used as a home remedy in Iran as a cardioprotective agent without any scientific background...
- Analysis of nasturtium TmNXG1 complexes by crystallography and molecular dynamics provides detailed insight into substrate recognition by family GH16 xyloglucan endo-transglycosylases and endo-hydrolasesPekka Mark
School of Biotechnology, Royal Institute of Technology KTH, AlbaNova University Centre S 106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
Proteins 75:820-36. 2009..A high-resolution, three-dimensional structure of a nasturtium (Tropaeolum majus) endo-xyloglucanase loop mutant, TmNXG1-DeltaYNIIG, with an oligosaccharide product bound in ..
- Influence of nitrogen and sulfur on biomass production and carotenoid and glucosinolate concentrations in watercress (Nasturtium officinale R. Br.)Dean A Kopsell
Plant Sciences Department, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville 37996, USA
J Agric Food Chem 55:10628-34. 2007Watercress (Nasturtium officinale R. Br.) is a perennial herb rich in the secondary metabolites of glucosinolates and carotenoids...
- Fasciola hepatica: epidemiological surveillance of natural watercress beds in central FranceG Dreyfuss
Facultes de Medecine et de Pharmacie, UPRES EA no 3174 associée à l INRA, 87025, Limoges, France
Parasitol Res 95:278-82. 2005..The main changes were the appearance of another digenea, Paramphistomum daubneyi, in the beds, and the possibility for O. glabra to naturally sustain the larval development of F. hepatica...
- [Fascioliasis: diagnosis, epidemiology and treatment]Teodoro Carrada-Bravo
Hospital General de Zona y Medicina Familiar 2, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Irapuato, Gto, Mexico
Rev Gastroenterol Mex 68:135-42. 2003..Infection results from ingestion of encysted metacercariae attached to raw watercress (Nasturtium officinale)...
- Cloning and characterization of an acyl-CoA-dependent diacylglycerol acyltransferase 1 (DGAT1) gene from Tropaeolum majus, and a study of the functional motifs of the DGAT protein using site-directed mutagenesis to modify enzyme activity and oil contentJingyu Xu
National Research Council of Canada, Plant Biotechnology Institute, 110 Gymnasium Place, Saskatoon, Canada
Plant Biotechnol J 6:799-818. 2008..3.1.20) was obtained from Tropaeolum majus (garden nasturtium)...
- Screening for hetero-transglycosylating activities in extracts from nasturtium (Tropaeolum majus)Fairouz Ait Mohand
Institute of Chemistry, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Dubravska cesta 9, 84538 Bratislava, Slovakia
Carbohydr Res 341:577-81. 2006..SR) as glycosyl acceptors, we screened for the presence of transglycosylating activities in extracts from nasturtium (Tropaeolum majus). Besides xyloglucan endotransglycosylase/hydrolase (XTH/XET, EC 2.4.1...
- Functional characterization of xyloglucan glycosynthases from GH7, GH12, and GH16 scaffoldsFredrika Gullfot
Division of Glycoscience, School of Biotechnology, Royal Institute of Technology KTH, AlbaNova University Centre, 106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
Biomacromolecules 10:1782-8. 2009..Novel glycosynthases based on the GH16 xyloglucan hydrolase from Tropaeolum majus (nasturtium), TmNXG1, are capable of synthesizing XLLG-based xyloglucan oligosaccharides at rates feasible for preparative ..
- Characterisation of two tomato fruit-expressed cDNAs encoding xyloglucan endo-transglycosylaseD A Arrowsmith
Biosciences Division, Unilever Research, Sharnbrook, Bedford, UK
Plant Mol Biol 28:391-403. 1995..The recently reported cloning of a cDNA encoding a seed-expressed XET from nasturtium  has enabled two XET-encoding cDNAs to be isolated from a tomato fruit (breaker stage) cDNA library...
- A long-term copper exposure on freshwater ecosystem using lotic mesocosms: Primary producer community responsesHelene Roussel
Ecotoxicological Risk Assessment Unit, INERIS, Parc Technologique ALATA, 60550 Verneuil en Halatte, France
Aquat Toxicol 81:168-82. 2007..Some taxa seemed to be sensitive to copper, i.e. Cocconeis spp., Epithemia sp., Gomphonema spp., Lemna minor, Nasturtium officinale and filamentous macroalgae. Other taxa appeared to be tolerant or facilitated by indirect effects, i...
- Modulation of detoxification enzymes by watercress: in vitro and in vivo investigations in human peripheral blood cellsThomas Hofmann
Department of Nutritional Toxicology, Institute of Nutrition, Friedrich Schiller University Jena, Dornburger Str 24, 07743, Jena, Germany
Eur J Nutr 48:483-91. 2009..Epidemiological studies indicate that consumption of cruciferous vegetables (CV) can reduce the risk of cancer. Supposed mechanisms are partly the inhibition of phase I and the induction of phase II enzymes...
- Watercress supplementation in diet reduces lymphocyte DNA damage and alters blood antioxidant status in healthy adultsChris I R Gill
Northern Ireland Centre for Food and Health, Centre for Molecular Biosciences, University of Ulster, Coleraine, N Ireland, United Kingdom
Am J Clin Nutr 85:504-10. 2007..Cruciferous vegetable (CV) consumption is associated with a reduced risk of several cancers in epidemiologic studies...
- Biodegradation of C.I. Acid Blue 92 by Nasturtium officinale: Study of Some Physiological Responses and Metabolic Fate of DyeS Torbati
a Department of Plant Biology, Faculty of Natural Sciences, University of Tabriz, Tabriz, Iran
Int J Phytoremediation 17:322-9. 2015The present study was conducted to evaluate the potential of aquatic vascular plant, Nasturtium officinale, for degradation of C.I. Acid Blue 92 (AB92)...
- [On-going investigations on efficacy and safety profile of a herbal drug containing nasturtium herb and horseradish root in acute sinusitis, acute bronchitis and acute urinary tract infection in children in comparison with other antibiotic treatments]Karl Heinz Goos
Repha GmbH, Biologische Arzneimittel, Langenhagen, Germany
Arzneimittelforschung 57:238-46. 2007..Primary efficacy criterion was the change of the complaints quantified by the change of the relative symptom score average over all symptoms between result at study start and study end related to the baseline value...
- Structural evidence for the evolution of xyloglucanase activity from xyloglucan endo-transglycosylases: biological implications for cell wall metabolismMartin J Baumann
School of Biotechnology, Royal Institute of Technology, AlbaNova University Center, Stockholm, Sweden
Plant Cell 19:1947-63. 2007..structures of the archetypal glycoside hydrolase family 16 (GH16) endo-xyloglucanases Tm-NXG1 and Tm-NXG2 from nasturtium (Tropaeolum majus) have been solved by x-ray crystallography...
- A comparative study of flavonoid compounds, vitamin C, and antioxidant properties of baby leaf Brassicaceae speciesAscensión Martínez-Sánchez
Research Group on Quality, Safety and Bioactivity of Plant Foods, Food Science and Technology Department, CEBAS CSIC, Espinardo, Murcia, Spain
J Agric Food Chem 56:2330-40. 2008..antioxidant activity was carried out in four species of Brassicaceae vegetables used for salads: watercress ( Nasturtium officinale R. Br.), mizuna [ Brassica rapa L. subsp. nipposinica (L.H...
- Organochlorines and heavy metals in wild caught food as a potential human health risk to the indigenous Māori population of South Canterbury, New ZealandMichael Stewart
National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research, Hamilton 3251, New Zealand
Sci Total Environ 409:2029-39. 2011..brown trout (Salmo trutta), black flounder (Rhombosolea retiaria) and watercress (Nasturtium officinale) from important harvesting sites in the region of South Canterbury...
- Microbiological and metal contamination of watercress in the Wellington region, New Zealand--2000 surveyC Edmonds
Hutt Valley District Health Board, New Zealand
Aust N Z J Public Health 28:20-6. 2004..To investigate potential microbiological and metal contamination of watercress and to assess the public health risks associated with harvesting and consumption of watercress...
- Molecular characterisation of a xyloglucan oligosaccharide-acting alpha-D-xylosidase from nasturtium (Tropaeolum majus L.) cotyledons that resembles plant 'apoplastic' alpha-D-glucosidasesHazel J Crombie
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Stirling, UK
Planta 214:406-13. 2002..to an alpha-D-xylosidase involved in the mobilisation of xyloglucan from the cotyledons of germinated nasturtium (Tropaeolum majus L.) seeds...
- The activities of several detoxication enzymes are differentially induced by juices of garden cress, water cress and mustard in human HepG2 cellsE F Lhoste
Unité d Ecologie et de Physiologie du Système Digestif, INRA, Domaine de Vilvert, 78350 Jouy en Josas, France
Chem Biol Interact 150:211-9. 2004..The addition of juice from water cress (Nasturtium officinalis R...
- Broad spectrum antibacterial activity of a mixture of isothiocyanates from nasturtium (Tropaeoli majoris herba) and horseradish (Armoraciae rusticanae radix)A Conrad
Department of Environmental Health Sciences, University Medical Center Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
Drug Res (Stuttg) 63:65-8. 2013..These compounds are found in a licensed native preparation of nasturtium (Tropaeoli majoris herba) and horseradish (Armoraciae rusticanae radix) which is used for treatment of upper ..
- Specific glucosinolate analysis reveals variable levels of epimeric glucobarbarins, dietary precursors of 5-phenyloxazolidine-2-thiones, in watercress types with contrasting chromosome numbersNiels Agerbirk
Department of Plant and Environmental Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Thorvaldsensvej 40, DK 1871 Frederiksberg C, Denmark
J Agric Food Chem 62:9586-96. 2014..Some wild U.S. material was similar to the U.S. food store type. Both types were found to be Nasturtium officinale by floral parts morphology. Cytological analysis of one U.S...
- Acute and chronic watercress supplementation attenuates exercise-induced peripheral mononuclear cell DNA damage and lipid peroxidationMark C Fogarty
Biomedicine and Sport Science Research Group, Edinburgh Napier University, Edinburgh, UK
Br J Nutr 109:293-301. 2013..05 v. control) in both experimental phases. These findings suggest that short- and long-term watercress ingestion has potential antioxidant effects against exercise-induced DNA damage and lipid peroxidation...
- Molecular cloning and characterization of a brassinosteroid-regulated gene from elongating soybean (Glycine max L.) epicotylsD M Zurek
Department of Biology, San Diego State University, California 92182
Plant Physiol 104:161-70. 1994..homology (48% identity, 62% similarity) to a xyloglucan endotransglycosylase localized in the cell walls of nasturtium (J. de Silva, C.D. Jarman, D.A. Arrowsmith, M.S. Stronach, S. Chengappa, C. Sidebottom, J.S...
- Arsenic accumulation by edible aquatic macrophytesK A Falinski
Department of Tropical Plant and Soil Sciences, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 3190 Maile Way, Honolulu, HI 96822, United States Electronic address
Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 99:74-81. 2014..b>Nasturtium officinale (watercress) and Diplazium esculentum (warabi) are two aquatic macrophytes grown and consumed in ..
- Determination of benzyl isothiocyanate metabolites in human plasma and urine by LC-ESI-MS/MS after ingestion of nasturtium (Tropaeolum majus L.)Stefanie Platz
University of Hamburg, Hamburg School of Food Science, Institute of Food Chemistry, Grindelallee 117, 20146, Hamburg, Germany
Anal Bioanal Chem 405:7427-36. 2013..BITC conjugates were found to be not stable in alkaline buffered solutions. After consumption of nasturtium, containing 1,000 μM glucotropaeolin, the primary source of BITC, quantifiable levels of BITC-NAC, BITC-Cys, ..
- Group III-A XTH genes of Arabidopsis encode predominant xyloglucan endohydrolases that are dispensable for normal growthNomchit Kaewthai
Division of Glycoscience, School of Biotechnology, Royal Institute of Technology, AlbaNova University Centre, S 106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
Plant Physiol 161:440-54. 2013..AtXTH31 confirmed this prediction and indicated that this enzyme had similar catalytic properties to the nasturtium (Tropaeolum majus) xyloglucanase1 responsible for storage xyloglucan hydrolysis during germination...
- Glucosinolates of seven medicinal plants from ThailandT Songsak
School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Manchester, M13 9PL, Manchester, UK
Fitoterapia 73:209-16. 2002b>Nasturtium montanum was shown to contain glucobrassicin, 9-methylthionyl glucosinolate, oct-7-enyl glucosinolate, non-7-enyl glucosinolate, dec-7-enyl glucosinolate, methylsulfonyloctyl glucosinolate, methylsulfonylnonyl glucosinolate, ..
- Efficacy and safety of a combination herbal medicinal product containing Tropaeoli majoris herba and Armoraciae rusticanae radix for the prophylactic treatment of patients with respiratory tract diseases: a randomised, prospective, double-blind, placebo-cVolker Fintelmann
Carl Gustav Carus Akademie, Hamburg, Germany
Curr Med Res Opin 28:1799-807. 2012..Clinical experience of prophylactic treatment of respiratory tract infections with the marketed CHMP containing horseradish root (Armoraciae rusticanae radix) and nasturtium (Tropaeoli majoris herba) has existed for decades.
- Turning the 'mustard oil bomb' into a 'cyanide bomb': aromatic glucosinolate metabolism in a specialist insect herbivoreEinar J Stauber
Institute of Pharmaceutical Biology, Technische Universitat Braunschweig, Braunschweig, Germany
PLoS ONE 7:e35545. 2012....
- Tropaeolum tops tobacco - simple and efficient transgene expression in the order BrassicalesAndrea Pitzschke
Department of Applied Genetics and Cell Biology, University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences, Vienna, Austria
PLoS ONE 8:e73355. 2013..Here, I describe Agrobacterium tumefaciens-mediated transformation of Tropaeolummajus (nasturtium, order Brassicales) as a remarkably simple, cheap and highly efficient transient expression system...
- beta-Phenylethyl isothiocyanate mediated apoptosis: a proteomic investigation of early apoptotic protein changesJason Chun Hong Neo
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, National University of Singapore
Proteomics 5:1075-82. 2005..isothiocyanate (PEITC) is a promising chemopreventative agent found in abundance in watercress (Rorripa nasturtium aquaticum) as its glucosinolate precursor...
- Use of peroxyacetic acid as green chemical on yield and sensorial quality in Watercress (Nasturtium officinale R. Br.) under soilless cultureGilda Carrasco
Facultad de Ciencias Agrarias Avda Dos Norte 685, Universidad de Talca, Talca Casilla 747, Chile
Int J Mol Sci 12:9463-70. 2011..research was to evaluate the effect of different doses of peroxyacetic acid on the productivity of watercress (Nasturtium officinale R. Br.) cultivated hydroponically using a constant nutritive solution...
- In vivo antigenotoxic activity of watercress juice (Nasturtium officinale) against induced DNA damageNatalia A Casanova
Citogenética Humana y Genética Toxicológica, Instituto de Fisiopatología y Bioquímica Clínica, Departamento de Bioquimica Clinica, Facultad de Farmacia y Bioquimica, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Junin 956, 1113 Caba, Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Appl Toxicol 33:880-5. 2013..possible protective activity against damage induced by cyclophosphamide (CP) of the aqueous juice of watercress (Nasturtium officinale, W.T. Aiton) in vivo...
- Prevention of recurrent urinary tract infection in childrenGabrielle Williams
Centre for Kidney Research, The Children s Hospital at Westmead, Westmead, Australia
Curr Opin Infect Dis 22:72-6. 2009..UTI causes an unpleasant, usually febrile illness in children. This review focuses on studies evaluating interventions to prevent UTI in children and published between January 2007 and June 2008...
- Interaction between plants and bacteria: glucosinolates and phyllospheric colonization of cruciferous vegetables by Enterobacter radicincitans DSM 16656Monika Schreiner
Leibniz Institute of Vegetable and Ornamental Crops Grossbeeren and Erfurt e V, Grossbeeren, Germany
J Mol Microbiol Biotechnol 17:124-35. 2009..capitata, Brassica rapa var. alboglabra, Nasturtium officinale) using a species-specific TaqMan probe and quantitative real-time PCR...
- Investigation of antioxidant properties of Nasturtium officinale (watercress) leaf extractsTevfik Ozen
Giresun University, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Department of Chemistry, 28049, Giresun, Turkey
Acta Pol Pharm 66:187-93. 2009..to examine the in vitro and in vivo antioxidative properties of aqueous and ethanolic extracts of the leaf of Nasturtium officinale R. Br. (watercress)...
- Sequential injection lab-on-valve system for the determination of the activity of peroxidase in vegetablesSusana S M P Vidigal
CBQF Escola Superior de Biotecnologia, Universidade Catolica Portuguesa, Rua Dr Antonio Bernardino de Almeida, 4200 072 Porto, Portugal
J Agric Food Chem 58:2071-5. 2010..It was also possible to monitor online the thermal inactivation of peroxidase at different temperature ranges...
- Characterisation of phenolics in Flor-Essence--a compound herbal product and its contributing herbsAmmar Saleem
Centre for Research in Biotechnology and Biopharmaceuticals, Department of Biology, University of Ottawa, ON, Canada
Phytochem Anal 20:395-401. 2009..FE is a chemically complex mixture of eight herbs and has not been subjected to phytochemical analysis...
- Polysaccharide microarrays for high-throughput screening of transglycosylase activities in plant extractsOndřej Kosík
Institute of Chemistry, Centre for Glycomics, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Dubravska cesta 9, 84538, Bratislava, Slovakia
Glycoconj J 27:79-87. 2010..The glycochip assay was used to detect transglycosylase activities in crude extracts from nasturtium (Tropaeolum majus) and mouse-ear cress (Arabidopsis thaliana)...
- Effects of lead on the activities of antioxidant enzymes in watercress, Nasturtium officinale R. BrGonca Keser
Department of Biology, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Cukurova University, Adana 01330, Turkey
Biol Trace Elem Res 137:235-43. 2010..GR), and ascorbate peroxidase (AP)) and lipid peroxidation levels in the stem and leaves of watercress (Nasturtium officinale R. Br...
- Volatile constituents and antioxidant activity of flowers, stems and leaves of Nasturtium officinale R. BrHamzeh Amiri
Department of Biology, Lorestan University, Khoramabad, Iran
Nat Prod Res 26:109-15. 2012GC-MS analyses of the essential oils of leaves, stems and flower of Nasturtium officinale resulted in the identification of 9, 8 and 15 compounds, representing 97%, 100% and 94.7% of the oils, respectively...
- Floral biology of Tropaeolum majus L. and its relation with Astylus variegatus activity (Germar 1824)Maria Emilia P F Silva
Programa de Pós graduação em Entomologia e Conservação da Biodiversidade, Universidade Federal da Grande Dourados, Faculdade de Ciências Biológicas e Ambientais, MS, Brasil
An Acad Bras Cienc 83:1251-8. 2011Tropaeolum majus L. (nasturtium) is a culture popularly known by its medicinal, ornamental and culinary utility...
- Antioxidant efficacy of Nasturtium officinale extracts using various in vitro assay systemsSeifollah Bahramikia
Institute of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
J Acupunct Meridian Stud 3:283-90. 2010b>Nasturtium officinale R. Br. (watercress), of the family Brassicaceae, has been long used as a home remedy or a medicinal plant by the people of southeastern Iran. The aim of this study was to investigate the antioxidant activity of N...
- Scurvy and cloudberries: a chapter in the history of nutritional sciencesLuigi M De Luca
Center for Human Nutrition, Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Nutr 141:2101-5. 2011..As medication for gums and teeth, Rhodius recommended rosemary, hyssop, bistort, sage, nasturtium, waterweed, creeping Jenny, and scurvy grass...
- An efficient protocol for genetic transformation of watercress (Nasturtium officinale) using Agrobacterium rhizogenesNam Il Park
Department of Crop Science, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Chungnam National University, 220 Gung Dong, Yuseong Gu, Daejeon 305 764, Korea
Mol Biol Rep 38:4947-53. 2011Watercress (Nasturtium officinale) is a member of the Brassicaceae family and a rich source of glucosinolate, which has been shown to possess anticancer properties. To extract these compounds from N...
- EXAFS speciation and phytoavailability of Pb in a contaminated soil amended with compost and gypsumYohey Hashimoto
Department of Bioresource Science, Mie University, 1577 Kurima machiya, Mie 514 8507, Japan
Sci Total Environ 409:1001-7. 2011..the effects of surface applications of compost and gypsum amendments on Pb availability to a watercress plant (Nasturtium officinale W.T. Aiton) and molecular-scale speciation of Pb in soil solid phases...
- Effect of the label of oligosaccharide acceptors on the kinetic parameters of nasturtium seed xyloglucan endotransglycosylase (XET)Ondřej Kosík
Institute of Chemistry, Centre for Glycomics, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Dubravska cesta 9, 84538 Bratislava, Slovakia
Carbohydr Res 346:357-61. 2011..XLLG) were used as glycosyl acceptors in assays of xyloglucan endotransglycosylase (XET) from germinated nasturtium (Tropaeolum majus) seeds...
- Nickel accumulation and its effect on biomass, protein content and antioxidative enzymes in roots and leaves of watercress (Nasturtium officinale R. Br.)Fatih Duman
Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Department of Biology, Erciyes University, Kayseri 38039, Turkey
J Environ Sci (China) 22:526-32. 2010In order to understand its response towards nickel stress, watercress (Nasturtium officinale R. Br.) was exposed to nickel (1-25 mg/L) for 1, 3, 5 and 7 days...
- In vivo modulation of 4E binding protein 1 (4E-BP1) phosphorylation by watercress: a pilot studySharifah S Syed Alwi
Cancer Sciences Division, School of Medicine, Cancer Research UK Centre, Southampton General Hospital, The Somers Cancer Research Building MP824, University of Southampton, Southampton SO16 6YD, UK
Br J Nutr 104:1288-96. 2010....
- Xyloglucan endotransglycosylases (XETs) from germinating nasturtium (Tropaeolum majus) seeds: isolation and characterization of the major formEva Stratilová
Institute of Chemistry, Center for Glycomics, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Dubravska cesta 9, SK 84538 Bratislava, Slovakia
Plant Physiol Biochem 48:207-15. 2010..XTH) differing in their isoelectric points (pI) were detected in crude extracts from germinating nasturtium seeds...
- Decontamination of aquatic vegetable leaves by removing trace toxic metals during pickling process with acetic acid solutionWenbiao Wu
College of Food Science, Southwest University, People s Republic of China
Ecol Food Nutr 50:368-74. 2011..0% Ag or 96.1% Al were removed. For Watercress leaves, almost all Cd, Hg, Ba, or Sb and 99.0% Pb or 99.7% Ag were removed. For Water Hyacinth leaves, almost all Cd, Ba, or Sb and 99.0% Hg, 98.5% Pb, 95.0% Ag, or 98.7% Al were removed...
- Chemosensory basis of behavioural plasticity in response to deterrent plant chemicals in the larva of the Small Cabbage White butterfly Pieris rapaeD S Zhou
State Key Laboratory of Integrated Management of Pest Insects and Rodents, Institute of Zoology, The Chinese Academy of Sciences, 1 Beichen West Road, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100101, PR China
J Insect Physiol 55:788-92. 2009..exposed to different rearing diets: an artificial diet or one of two host-plants, cabbage, Brassica oleracea, or nasturtium, Tropaeolum majus...
- Characterization and expression of transcripts induced by oxygen deprivation in maize (Zea mays L.)V M Peschke
Department of Biology, Washington University, St Louis, Missouri 63130
Plant Physiol 104:387-94. 1994..predicted protein sequence of one gene, wusl1005, is similar to that of several other plant genes, including a nasturtium (Tropaeolum majus L.) xyloglucan-endo-transglycosylase...
- Interspecific variation in defense secretions of Malaysian termites from the genus BulbitermesCheng Hock Chuah
Chemistry Department, University of Malaya, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
J Chem Ecol 31:819-27. 2005..germanus and B. sarawakensis contain tricyclic trinervitene; Bulbitermes sp. B contains a mixture of kempane and trinervitene. The mono- and diterpenoid compositions are species-specific...
- [Watercress and other dangerous foods]Juan Antonio Barcat
Medicina (B Aires) 65:277-9. 2005
- [A focus study from a case of human fascioliasis in Neuquén]Diana Rubel
Unidad Ecología de Reservorios y Vectores de Parásitos, Departamento de Ecologia, Genetica y Evolucion, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Argentina
Medicina (B Aires) 65:207-12. 2005..3, 1.7) (p < 0.01). Local veterinary control programs were apparently not effective in this case. Anthelmintics used and treatment schedule should be revised and small herds raised at households should also be included and treated...
- Broccoli and watercress suppress matrix metalloproteinase-9 activity and invasiveness of human MDA-MB-231 breast cancer cellsPeter Rose
Department of Biochemistry, National University of Singapore, 8 Medical Drive, Singapore 117597, Singapore
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 209:105-13. 2005..italica) and watercress (Rorripa nasturtium aquaticum) extracts on 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate (TPA)-induced cancer cell invasion and matrix ..
- Folk phytotherapeutical plants from Maratea area (Basilicata, Italy)Paolo Maria Guarrera
Museo Nazionale Arti e Tradizioni Popolari, Piazza Marconi 8 10, 00144 Rome, Italy
J Ethnopharmacol 99:367-78. 2005..The most important findings in ethnomedicine relate to Nasturtium officinale (renal colic, liver diseases), Foeniculum vulgare subsp...
- Evolution of the trnF(GAA) gene in Arabidopsis relatives and the brassicaceae family: monophyletic origin and subsequent diversification of a plastidic pseudogeneMarcus A Koch
Heidelberg Institute of Plant Science, Heidelberg University, Heidelberg, Germany
Mol Biol Evol 22:1032-43. 2005..for phylogeographic reconstructions and phylogenetic analysis among the genera Arabidopsis, Boechera, Rorippa, Nasturtium, and Cardamine...
- The contamination of wild watercress with Fasciola hepatica in central France depends on the ability of several lymnaeid snails to migrate upstream towards the bedsD Rondelaud
UPRES EA n 3174 associée à l INRA, Facultes de Medecine et de Pharmacie, 87025 Limoges, France
Parasitol Res 95:305-9. 2005..hepatica. One of the factors which may explain this variability is the occurrence of showers in spring, so that a few snails are able to reach watercress beds after their upstream migration...
- Accumulation of perchlorate in aquatic and terrestrial plants at a field scaleKui Tan
Department of Civil Engineering, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX 79410, USA
J Environ Qual 33:1638-46. 2004..This study examined uptake of ClO(-)(4) in smartweed (Polygonum spp.) and watercress (Nasturtium spp.) as well as more than forty trees, including ash (Fraxinus greggii A. Gray), chinaberry (Melia azedarach L...
- Mechanical effects of plant cell wall enzymes on cellulose/xyloglucan compositesElisabeth Chanliaud
Unilever Research Colworth, Colworth House, Sharnbrook, Bedford MK44 1LQ, UK
Plant J 38:27-37. 2004..Tomato pericarp xyloglucan endo transglycosylase (tXET) and nasturtium seed xyloglucanase (nXGase) were produced heterologously in Pichia pastoris...
- Sequestration of glucosinolates by harlequin bug Murgantia histrionicaAlireza Aliabadi
Illinois State University, Normal 61790, USA
J Chem Ecol 28:1749-62. 2002..titers of cabbage glucosinolates than bugs that were fed on a cabbage diet and then switched to a diet of garden nasturtium. This indicates that M. histrionica immediately sequesters chemicals from whichever plant it feeds upon...
- Watercress has no Importance for the elimination of ethanol by CYP2E1 inhibitionJean Pierre Desager
Department of Gastroenterology and Clinical Pharmacology Unit, Saint Luc University Clinics, Catholic University of Louvain, Bruxelles, Belgium
Pharmacol Toxicol 91:103-5. 2002..Ethanol absorption is also delayed by single ingestion of watercress immediately preceding ethanol consumption...
- Changes in human fasciolosis in a temperate area: about some observations over a 28-year period in central FranceD Rondelaud
Laboratoire d Histopathologie Parasitaire, Faculte de Medecine, Limoges, France
Parasitol Res 86:753-7. 2000..of persons, with infections being attributed to four watercress species before 1980 versus only two species of Nasturtium sp. after 1981...
- Sugar-nucleotide-binding and autoglycosylating polypeptide(s) from nasturtium fruit: biochemical capacities and potential functionsA Faik
McGill University, Department of Biology, 1025 Av Dr Penfield, Montreal, QC, H3A 1B1, Canada
Biochem J 347:857-64. 2000..kDa) have been detected by SDS/PAGE in particulate membranes and soluble extracts of developing cotyledons of nasturtium (Tropaeolum majus L.)...
- Xyloglucan sidechains modulate binding to cellulose during in vitro binding assays as predicted by conformational dynamics simulationsS Levy
University of Colorado, Boulder 80309 0347, USA
Plant J 11:373-86. 1997..this question is addressed directly by analyzing to what extent the different sidechains of pea cell wall XG and nasturtium seed storage XG affect their binding to cellulose microfibrils...
- Eight cases of fascioliasis: clinical and microbiological featuresF A Dauchy
Service de médecine interne C, service du Docteur Lifermann, Centre hospitalier de Dax, boulevard Yves du Manoir, 40100 Dax, France
Med Mal Infect 36:42-6. 2006..Fascioliasis is a parasitic infection caused by the ingestion of food contaminated with Fasciola hepatica...
- Influence of pH on lead uptake, chlorophyll and nitrogen content of Nasturtium officinale R. Br. and Mentha aquatica LSaadet Saygideger
Department of Biology, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, University of Gaziantep, Gaziantep, Turkey
J Environ Biol 26:753-9. 2005..5, 10, 25, 50 and 100 microg mL(-1)) were investigated on uptake of lead, content of chlorophyll and nitrogen in Nasturtium officinale and Mentha aquatica...
- Germination and seedling growth of the water cress Rorippa sp. exposed to the chelant [S,S]-EDDSAli Temara
Product Safety and Regulatory Affairs, Temselaan 100, Procter and Gamble, B 1853 Strombeek Bever, Belgium
Chemosphere 65:716-20. 2006..we have developed a seed germination and root elongation toxicity test with the freshwater aquatic plant Rorippa nasturtium-aquaticum (water cress) to confirm the low environmental risk of the chelant [S,S]-EDDS...
- Toxicity of Anllóns River sediment extracts using microtox and the zucconi phytotoxicity testR Devesa-Rey
Dpto Edafología y Química agrícola, Facultad de Farmacia, USC, Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 80:225-30. 2008..water cress (Nasturtium officinalis L.) and annual rye-grass (Lolium multiflorum L.) seeds...
- The glucosinolate-myrosinase system in nasturtium (Tropaeolum majus L.): variability of biochemical parameters and screening for clones feasible for pharmaceutical utilizationMaik Kleinwächter
Institute for Plant Biology, TU Braunschweig, Germany
J Agric Food Chem 56:11165-70. 2008..The screening of several hundred Tropaeolum plants resulted in the selection of eight high-yield varieties, from which in vitro plants had been generated and propagated as a source for large field trials...
- Integration among the different aspects of the phenotypic plasticity in Aphis fabae, black bean aphidGazi Gorur
Department of Biology, Faculty of Science and Arts, Nigde University, 51100 Nigde, Turkey
Pak J Biol Sci 10:2719-23. 2007..Host plant conditions affected types of phenotypic plasticities in a different way. However, particularly plasticity in ultimate rostral segment positively integrated with plasticity in fitness on novel host plant...
- Activity against drug resistant-tuberculosis strains of plants used in Mexican traditional medicine to treat tuberculosis and other respiratory diseasesMaria Del Rayo Camacho-Corona
Laboratorio de Quimica de Productos Naturales, Facultad de Ciencias Quimicas, Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Leon, Mexico
Phytother Res 22:82-5. 2008..b>Nasturtium officinale showed the best activity (MIC = 100 microg/mL) against the sensitive Mycobacterium tuberculosis...
- Transformation of Nasturtium officinale, Barbarea verna and Arabis caucasica for hairy roots and glucosinolate-myrosinase system productionMarzena Wielanek
Department of Plant Physiology and Biochemistry, University of Łódź, 12 16 Banacha, 90 237 Lodz, Poland
Biotechnol Lett 31:917-21. 2009Hairy roots of Nasturtium officinale, Barbarea verna and Arabis caucasica with active glucosinolate-myrosinase system were obtained after transformation with Agrobacterium rhizogenes. Hairy roots of N...
- A gene from the cellulose synthase-like C family encodes a beta-1,4 glucan synthaseJean Christophe Cocuron
Department of Energy Plant Research Laboratory, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:8550-5. 2007..the gene(s) responsible for synthesizing the beta-1,4 glucan backbone of XyG, we exploited a property of nasturtium (Tropaeolum majus) seed development...
- Assessment of the anti-genotoxic, anti-proliferative, and anti-metastatic potential of crude watercress extract in human colon cancer cellsLindsay A Boyd
Northern Ireland Centre for Food and Health, Centre for Molecualr Biosciences, University of Ulster, Northern Ireland
Nutr Cancer 55:232-41. 2006..In conclusion, the watercress extract proved to be significantly protective against the three stages of the carcinogenesis process investigated...
- Predatory behavior of Polistes dominulus wasps in response to cardenolides and glucosinolates in Pieris napi caterpillarsLinda S Rayor
Dept of Entomology, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
J Chem Ecol 33:1177-85. 2007..host plants were: wormwood mustard, (Erysimum cheiranthoides: Brassicaceae), which contains cardenolides; nasturtium (Tropaeolum majus: Tropaeolaceae) with high concentrations of chlorogenic acid; and black mustard (Brassica ..
- Species-specific and leaf-age dependent effects of ultraviolet radiation on two BrassicaceaeKerstin Reifenrath
Universitat Wurzburg, Julius von Sachs Institut fur Biowissenschaften, Julius von Sachs Platz 3, D 97082 Wurzburg, Germany
Phytochemistry 68:875-85. 2007..but mainly by leaf-age in Nasturtium officinale L...
- Behavior of glucosinolates in pickling cruciferous vegetablesChise Suzuki
National Institute of Livestock and Grassland Science, 2 Ikenodai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
J Agric Food Chem 54:9430-6. 2006..As a model pickling experiment, fresh watercress (Nasturtium officinale) and blanched watercress were soaked in 3% NaCl solution for 7 days...
- Characterization of a new xyloglucan endotransglucosylase/hydrolase (XTH) from ripening tomato fruit and implications for the diverse modes of enzymic actionMontserrat Saladie
Department of Plant Biology, 228 Plant Science Building, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Plant J 47:282-95. 2006..2 XTHs predominantly exhibit XET activity, to date the activity of only one member of Group 3 has been reported: nasturtium TmXH1, which has a highly specialized function and hydrolyses seed-storage xyloglucan rather than modifying cell ..
- Pectic homogalacturonan masks abundant sets of xyloglucan epitopes in plant cell wallsSusan E Marcus
Centre for Plant Sciences, Faculty of Biological Sciences, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, UK
BMC Plant Biol 8:60. 2008..Xyloglucan is the major hemicellulose or cross-linking glycan of the primary cell walls of dicotyledons although little is known of its occurrence or functions in relation to cell development and cell wall microstructure...
- Fasciola hepatica and Paramphistomum daubneyi: field observations on the transport and outcome of floating metacercariae in running waterD Rondelaud
UPRES EA no 3174, Facultés de Pharmacie et de Médecine, 2 rue du Docteur Raymond Marcland, 87025 Limoges Cedex, France
J Helminthol 78:173-7. 2004..metacercariae of two digenean species by running water and to determine the outcome of larvae which settled on Nasturtium officinale (watercress). The frequencies of larvae found after their transport by water ranged from 33% to 49...
- Differing mechanisms of simple nitrile formation on glucosinolate degradation in Lepidium sativum and Nasturtium officinale seedsDavid J Williams
The University of Queensland, School of Biological Sciences, Brisbane, QLD 4072, Australia
Phytochemistry 70:1401-9. 2009..BITC) present in garden cress (Lepidium sativum), and phenylethyl isothiocyanate (PEITC) present in watercress (Nasturtium officinale)...
- [Removal pathway and influence factors of hydroponic bio-filter method for nitrogen and phosphorus]Xian Ning Li
Department of Environmental Science and Engineering, Southeast University, Nanjing 210096, China
Huan Jing Ke Xue 28:982-6. 2007..9% respectively. The optimal HLR of HBFM ranges from 3.0 to 4.0 m3/(m x d). The intension of secateur for Nasturtium officinale has some effect on its uptake rate, thus the length of cut when harvesting should be less than 10 cm...
- Beta-phenylethyl and 8-methylsulphinyloctyl isothiocyanates, constituents of watercress, suppress LPS induced production of nitric oxide and prostaglandin E2 in RAW 264.7 macrophagesPeter Rose
Department of Biochemistry, National University of Singapore, 8 Medical Drive, Singapore 117597, Singapore
Nitric Oxide 12:237-43. 2005..isothiocyanates (MSO) represent two phytochemical constituents present in watercress Rorripa nasturtium aquaticum, with known chemopreventative properties...
- A simple shoot multiplication procedure using internode explants, and its application for particle bombardment and Agrobacterium-mediated transformation in watercressShinjiro Ogita
Laboratory of Plant and Cell Engineering, Department of Biotechnology, Toyama Prefectural University, Imizu, Toyama 939 0398, Japan
J Plant Res 122:455-63. 2009..from internode explants was investigated with the aim of improving genetic characteristics of watercress (Nasturtium officinale R. Br.). Internodes of ca...