Genomes and Genes
Summary: An araliaceous genus of plants that contains a number of pharmacologically active agents used as stimulants, sedatives, and tonics, especially in traditional medicine. Sometimes confused with Siberian ginseng (ELEUTHEROCOCCUS).
Publications341 found, 100 shown here
- Botanical characteristics, pharmacological effects and medicinal components of Korean Panax ginseng C A MeyerKwang tae Choi
Korean Society of Ginseng, Seocho Ku, Seoul 137 862, and Techno Doctor, KOITA, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Acta Pharmacol Sin 29:1109-18. 2008Korean Panax ginseng C A Meyer is mainly used to maintain the homeostasis of the body, and the pharmacological efficacy of Korean ginseng identified by modern science includes improved brain function, pain-relieving effects, preventive ..
- Antidiabetic effects of Panax ginseng berry extract and the identification of an effective componentAnoja S Attele
Tang Center for Herbal Medicine Research, The Pritzker School of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Diabetes 51:1851-8. 2002We evaluated antihyperglycemic and anti-obese effects of Panax ginseng berry extract and its major constituent, ginsenoside Re, in obese diabetic C57BL/6J ob/ ob mice and their lean littermates...
- In vitro anti-cancer activity and structure-activity relationships of natural products isolated from fruits of Panax ginsengWei Wang
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Division of Clinical Pharmacology, Cancer Pharmacology Laboratory, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 59:589-601. 2007b>Panax ginseng and its extracts have long been used for medical purposes; there is increasing interest in developing ginseng products as cancer preventive or therapeutic agents...
- De novo sequencing and analysis of the American ginseng root transcriptome using a GS FLX Titanium platform to discover putative genes involved in ginsenoside biosynthesisChao Sun
Institute of Medicinal Plant Development IMPLAD, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Haidian District, Beijing, China
BMC Genomics 11:262. 2010American ginseng (Panax quinquefolius L.) is one of the most widely used herbal remedies in the world. Its major bioactive constituents are the triterpene saponins known as ginsenosides...
- Isolation and analysis of ginseng: advances and challengesLian Wen Qi
Tang Center for Herbal Medicine Research and Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, The Pritzker School of Medicine, The University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Nat Prod Rep 28:467-95. 2011..The aim of this review is to illustrate the recent advances in the isolation and analysis of ginseng, and to highlight new applications and challenges. Emphasis is placed on recent trends and emerging techniques...
- Ultra-performance LC/TOF MS analysis of medicinal Panax herbs for metabolomic researchGuoxiang Xie
Shanghai Center for Systems Biomedicine, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, P R China
J Sep Sci 31:1015-26. 2008In this study, metabolite profiling of five medicinal Panax herbs including Panax ginseng (Chinese ginseng), Panax notoginseng (Sanchi), Panax japonicus (Rhizoma Panacis Majoris), Panax quinquefolium L. (American ginseng), and P...
- Ginsenoside Re of Panax ginseng possesses significant antioxidant and antihyperlipidemic efficacies in streptozotocin-induced diabetic ratsWilliam C S Cho
School of Chinese Medicine, Hong Kong Baptist University, 7 Baptist University Road, Hong Kong, China
Eur J Pharmacol 550:173-9. 2006..In this study, when diabetic rats were treated with ginsenoside Re of Panax ginseng C.A. Meyer, there was a significant reduction in blood glucose, total cholesterol and triglyceride levels...
- Panax ginseng ginsenoside-Rg2 protects memory impairment via anti-apoptosis in a rat model with vascular dementiaGuizhi Zhang
Department of Physiology, Medical College of Qingdao University, 308 Ningxia Road, Qingdao 266071, PR China
J Ethnopharmacol 115:441-8. 2008Ginsenosides, the major active ingredients of Panax ginseng, produce a variety of pharmacological or physiological responses with effects on the central and peripheral nervous systems.
- An acidic polysaccharide of Panax ginseng ameliorates experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis and induces regulatory T cellsInsun Hwang
College of Veterinary Medicine and Applied Radiological Institute, Jeju National University, Jeju, South Korea
Immunol Lett 138:169-78. 2011An acidic polysaccharide of Panax ginseng (APG), so called ginsan, is a purified polysaccharide...
- Brief introduction of Panax ginseng C.A. MeyerT K Yun
Laboratory of Experimental Pathology, Korea Cancer Center Hospital, Seoul, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 16:S3-5. 2001..In Aisa, particularly, Panax ginseng C.A...
- Panax ginseng enhances cognitive performance in Alzheimer diseaseSoon Tae Lee
Department of Neurology, Clinical Research Institute, Seoul National University Hospital, Seoul, South Korea
Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord 22:222-6. 2008..Thus, we investigated the clinical efficacy of Panax ginseng in the cognitive performance of AD patients in an open-label study...
- Ginsenosides: are any of them candidates for drugs acting on the central nervous system?Seung Yeol Nah
Ginsentology Research Laboratory and Department of Physiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Konkuk University, Seoul, Korea
CNS Drug Rev 13:381-404. 2007The last two decades have shown a marked expansion in the number of publications regarding the effects of Panax ginseng...
- Ginsenoside Rg3 inhibits colorectal tumor growth through the down-regulation of Wnt/ß-catenin signalingBai Cheng He
Department of Pharmacology and the Key Laboratory of Diagnostic Medicine designated by Chinese Ministry of Education, Chongqing Medical University, Chongqing, PR China
Int J Oncol 38:437-45. 2011..Ginsenoside Rg3 is a single compound isolated from American ginseng (Panax quinquefolius L., Araliaceae) and Asian ginseng (Panax ginseng C. A. Meyer)...
- Bioactivity enhancement of herbal supplements by intestinal microbiota focusing on ginsenosidesHuai You Wang
State Key Laboratory of Natural Medicines, China Pharmaceutical University, Nanjing, China
Am J Chin Med 39:1103-15. 2011..In summary, the intestinal microbiota may play an important role in mediating the metabolism bioactivity of herbal medicines...
- Ginsenoside content of berries and roots of three typical Korean ginseng (Panax ginseng) cultivarsYong Kyoung Kim
Division of Plant Science and Resources, Chungnam National University, Daejeon, 305 754, Korea
Nat Prod Commun 4:903-6. 2009..The total amount of ginsenosides (especially Rb1, Re, and Rg1) was greatest in the Yunpoong cultivar...
- Panax ginseng: a systematic review of adverse effects and drug interactionsJoanna Thompson Coon
Department of Complementary Medicine, School of Postgraduate Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Exeter, Exeter, United Kingdom
Drug Saf 25:323-44. 2002b>Panax ginseng C. A. Meyer is a perennial herb native to Korea and China and has been used as an herbal remedy in eastern Asia for thousands of years...
- Ginsenosides from American ginseng: chemical and pharmacological diversityLian Wen Qi
Tang Center for Herbal Medicine Research and Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, The Pritzker School of Medicine, The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Phytochemistry 72:689-99. 2011..The goal is that this article is a useful reference to chemists and biologists researching American ginseng, and will open the door to agents in drug discovery...
- Systematic review of randomized controlled trials evaluating the efficacy and safety of ginsengNam Hun Lee
Liver and Immunology Research Center, Daejeon Oriental Hospital of Daejeon University, Korea
J Acupunct Meridian Stud 4:85-97. 2011..All randomized clinical trials evaluating the clinical effects or safety of the use of ginseng monopreparations (Panax ginseng or P. quinquefolium) were considered for inclusion...
- The memory enhancing effects of a Ginkgo biloba/Panax ginseng combination in healthy middle-aged volunteersK A Wesnes
Cognitive Drug Research Ltd, Reading, UK
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 152:353-61. 2000..containing 60 mg of a standardised extract of Ginkgo biloba (GK501) and 100 mg of a standardised extract of Panax ginseng (G115) on various aspects of cognitive function were assessed in healthy middle-aged volunteers...
- Complete chloroplast genome sequences from Korean ginseng (Panax schinseng Nees) and comparative analysis of sequence evolution among 17 vascular plantsKi Joong Kim
School of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, Korea University, Seoul 136 701, Korea
DNA Res 11:247-61. 2004The nucleotide sequence of Korean ginseng (Panax schinseng Nees) chloroplast genome has been completed (AY582139)...
- American ginseng: potential structure-function relationship in cancer chemopreventionLian Wen Qi
Tang Center for Herbal Medicine Research, Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, The Pritzker School of Medicine, University of Chicago, 5841 South Maryland Avenue, MC 4028, Chicago, IL 60637, United States
Biochem Pharmacol 80:947-54. 2010..Understanding these relationships may produce insights into chemical and pharmacological approaches for enhancing the chemopreventive effects of ginsenoside and for developing novel anticancer agents...
- Radioprotective potential of ginsengTung Kwang Lee
Department of Radiation Oncology, Leo W Jenkins Cancer Center, Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University, Greenville, NC 27858, USA
Mutagenesis 20:237-43. 2005..In general, ginseng refers to the roots of the species of the genus Panax. As a medicinal herb, ginseng has been widely used in traditional Chinese medicine for its wide spectrum of ..
- Ginsenoside Rb1 and its metabolite compound K inhibit IRAK-1 activation--the key step of inflammationEun Ha Joh
Department of Life and Nanopharmaceutical Sciences, Kyung Hee University, Seoul 130 701, Republic of Korea
Biochem Pharmacol 82:278-86. 2011In the preliminary study, ginsenoside Rb1, a main constituent of the root of Panax ginseng (family Araliaceae), and its metabolite compound K inhibited a key factor of inflammation, nuclear transcription factor κB (NF-κB) activation, ..
- Modulating angiogenesis: the yin and the yang in ginsengShiladitya Sengupta
Angiogenesis Laboratory, Department of Pharmacology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
Circulation 110:1219-25. 2004..To elucidate this perplexity, we merged a chemical fingerprinting approach with a deconstructional study of the effects of pure molecules from ginseng extract on angiogenesis...
- Chemistry and cancer preventing activities of ginseng saponins and some related triterpenoid compoundsS Shibata
Shibata Laboratory of Natural Medicinal Materials c/o Minophagen Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd, Tokyo, Japan
J Korean Med Sci 16:S28-37. 2001..than 25 dammarane-type tetracyclic triterpenoid saponins have been isolated from ginseng, the root and rhizome of Panax ginseng C.A. Meyer (Araliaceae)...
- Pharmacological activity of sanchi ginseng (Panax notoginseng)T B Ng
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, Hong Kong, China
J Pharm Pharmacol 58:1007-19. 2006The pharmacological activity and constituents of the sanchi ginseng Panax notoginseng have been reviewed...
- Simultaneous quantification of 14 ginsenosides in Panax ginseng C.A. Meyer (Korean red ginseng) by HPLC-ELSD and its application to quality controlSu Na Kim
Natural Products Research Institute, College of Pharmacy, Seoul National University, Seoul 110 460, South Korea
J Pharm Biomed Anal 45:164-70. 2007..was developed for the simultaneous quantification of 14 major ginsenosides, which are the marker compounds of Panax ginseng C.A. Meyer (Korean red ginseng)...
- Anxiolytic-like effects of ginsenosides Rg3 and Rh2 from red ginseng in the elevated plus-maze modelTae Woo Kim
Gu Jeong High School, Gangnam Ku, Seoul, Korea
Planta Med 75:836-9. 2009The anxiolytic-like effects of red ginseng (RG, the steamed root of Panax ginseng, family Araliaceae), its saponin fraction, and its representative constituents, ginsenosides Rg3 and Rh2, were investigated in mice using the elevated plus-..
- A lipid-soluble red ginseng extract inhibits the growth of human lung tumor xenografts in nude miceSung Dong Lee
Department of Food and Nutrition, College of Health Science, Korea University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Med Food 13:1-5. 2010..This lipid-soluble ginseng extract is a potential nontoxic anticancer supplement for the prevention and intervention of lung tumor growth through an oral administration route...
- Ginsenoside Rh2 reduces ischemic brain injury in ratsEun Kyung Park
College of Pharmacy, Kyung Hee University, Hoegi, Dongdaemun ku, Seoul, Korea
Biol Pharm Bull 27:433-6. 2004..7 cells, but showed no in vitro antioxidant activity. These results suggest that AG and ginsenoside Rh2 can improve ischemic brain injury...
- Enhancement of antitumor effects of paclitaxel (taxol) in combination with red ginseng acidic polysaccharide (RGAP)Han Jae Shin
KT and G Central Research Institute, Daejeon, Korea
Planta Med 70:1033-8. 2004We have recently reported that red ginseng acidic polysaccharide (RGAP), isolated from Korean red ginseng (Panax ginseng C.A...
- Proof of the mysterious efficacy of ginseng: basic and clinical trials: clinical effects of medical ginseng, korean red ginseng: specifically, its anti-stress action for prevention of diseaseHitoshi Kaneko
Kaneko Heart Clinic, Matsuyama, Japan
J Pharmacol Sci 95:158-62. 2004..Furthermore, we confirmed the preventive effects of medical ginseng on the common cold symptom complex, including flu, by clinical observation. Here, we report our experiences...
- Red ginseng root extract mixed with Torilus fructus and Corni fructus improves facial wrinkles and increases type I procollagen synthesis in human skin: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studySoyun Cho
Department of Dermatology, Seoul National University Boramae Hospital, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Med Food 12:1252-9. 2009..These results substantiate the alleged beneficial effects of red ginseng on photoaging and support its use as an effective "beauty food."..
- Effects of Panax ginseng extract on exercise-induced oxidative stressS H Kim
Department of Exercise Science, Chungbuk National University, Cheongju, Korea
J Sports Med Phys Fitness 45:178-82. 2005This study was designed to study the effects of Panax ginseng extract (PGE) on lipid peroxidation and scavenger enzymes induced by an acute exhaustive exercise in sedentary humans.
- Effects of Panax ginseng on tumor necrosis factor-α-mediated inflammation: a mini-reviewDavy C W Lee
Cytokine Biology Group, Department of Paediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong SAR, China
Molecules 16:2802-16. 2011b>Panax ginseng is one of the most commonly used Chinese medicines in China, Asia and Western countries. The beneficial effects of ginseng have been attributed to the biological activities of its constituents, the ginsenosides...
- Expression and functional characterization of three squalene synthase genes associated with saponin biosynthesis in Panax ginsengTae Dong Kim
Division of Forest Resources, Kangwon National University, Chunchon 200 701, Republic of Korea
Plant Cell Physiol 52:125-37. 2011..that PgSS1 overexpression results in the enhanced biosynthesis of both phytosterols and triterpene saponins in Panax ginseng. Here, cDNAs encoding two new SQS homologs (PgSS2 and PgSS3) from a P...
- Effects of Red Ginseng extract on allergic reactions to food in Balb/c miceMaho Sumiyoshi
Division of Functional Histology, Department of Functional Biomedicine, Ehime University Graduate School of Medicine, Shitsukawa, Toon City, Ehime 791 0295, Japan
J Ethnopharmacol 132:206-12. 2010Red Ginseng roots (Panax ginseng C.A. Meyer) have traditionally been thought to have anti-allergic effects, but their influence on food-induced allergic responses is unclear.
- Effects of nonsaponin fraction of red ginseng on learning deficits in aged ratsHiroaki Kurimoto
System Emotional Science, Faculty of Medicine, Toyama Medical and Pharmaceutical University, Sugitani 2630, 930 0194, Japan
Physiol Behav 82:345-55. 2004....
- Antioxidants potentiate American ginseng-induced killing of colorectal cancer cellsBinghui Li
Ben May Department for Cancer Research, The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, United States
Cancer Lett 289:62-70. 2010..These results further suggest that the anti-cancer effect of steamed ginseng can be enhanced by antioxidants or inhibitors of the NF-kappaB pathway...
- American ginseng (Panax quinquefolius L) reduces postprandial glycemia in nondiabetic subjects and subjects with type 2 diabetes mellitusV Vuksan
Department of Nutritional Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, St Michael s Hospital, Ontario, Canada
Arch Intern Med 160:1009-13. 2000..We therefore undertook a preliminary short-term clinical study to assess whether American ginseng (Panax quinquefolius L) affects postprandial glycemia in humans.
- Ginseng and Salviae herbs play a role as immune activators and modulate immune responses during influenza virus infectionFu Shi Quan
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, and Emory Vaccine Center, Emory University School of Medicine, 1510 Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA 30322, United States
Vaccine 25:272-82. 2007..Therefore, these results indicate that both ginseng and Salviae play a role as mucosal adjuvants against influenza virus as well as immuno-modulators during influenza virus infection...
- Regulation of ginsenoside and phytosterol biosynthesis by RNA interferences of squalene epoxidase gene in Panax ginsengJung Yeon Han
Division of Forest Resources, College of Forest and Environmental Sciences, Kangwon National University, Chunchon 200 701, Republic of Korea
Phytochemistry 71:36-46. 2010..the roles of two squalene epoxidase genes (PgSQE1 and PgSQE2) in triterpene and phytosterol biosynthesis in Panax ginseng. PgSQE1 and PgSQE2 encoded deduced proteins of 537 and 545 amino acids, respectively...
- Ginsenoside Rc, an active component of Panax ginseng, stimulates glucose uptake in C2C12 myotubes through an AMPK-dependent mechanismMyoung Su Lee
Biogeron Research Center, Korea Food Research Institute, Bundang Ku, Songnam, Republic of Korea
J Ethnopharmacol 127:771-6. 2010b>Panax ginseng and its major component, ginsenosides, are widely used for the prevention of various disorders in oriental medicine.
- Antiobesity effects of wild ginseng (Panax ginseng C.A. Meyer) mediated by PPAR-gamma, GLUT4 and LPL in ob/ob miceMohammad Lalmoddin Mollah
College of Veterinary Medicine, Kyungpook National University, Daegu, 702 701, Republic of Korea
Phytother Res 23:220-5. 2009The antiobesity effect of wild ginseng (WG; Panax ginseng C.A. Meyer) in male obese leptin-deficient (B6.V-Lepob, 'ob/ob') mice was evaluated. WG was administered orally to mice at doses of 100 mg/kg and 200 mg/kg daily for 4 weeks...
- High-throughput sequencing and characterization of the small RNA transcriptome reveal features of novel and conserved microRNAs in Panax ginsengBin Wu
Institute of Medicinal Plant Development, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, China
PLoS ONE 7:e44385. 2012..However, no information is available for miRNAs from Panax ginseng, an economically significant medicinal plant species...
- Ultra-performance liquid chromatography and time-of-flight mass spectrometry analysis of ginsenoside metabolites in human plasmaChong Zhi Wang
Tang Center for Herbal Medicine Research and Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, University of Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Am J Chin Med 39:1161-71. 2011..4 ng⋅h/ml for C-K, respectively. The gradual decrease of Rb1 levels and the delayed increase in levels of C-K observed in human subjects supported previous reports that enteric microbiota played a key role in transforming Rb1 to C-K...
- Three new dammarane-type triterpene saponins from the leaves of Panax ginseng C.A. MeyerGui Ying Liu
Department of Analytical Chemistry, College of Chemistry, Jilin University, Changchun, China
J Asian Nat Prod Res 12:865-73. 2010..new dammarane-type triterpene ginsenosides, together with six known ginsenosides, were isolated from the leaves of Panax ginseng C.A. Meyer...
- Effects of red ginseng extract on UVB irradiation-induced skin aging in hairless miceTong Ho Kang
Department of Oriental Medicinal Materials and Processing, College of Life Sciences, Kyung Hee University, Global Campus, Seocheon dong, Giheung gu, Yongin si, Gyeonggi Do 446 701, Republic of Korea
J Ethnopharmacol 123:446-51. 2009b>Panax ginseng C.A. Meyer, Korean herb medicine, has been widely used in China and Japan for fatigue and enhancement of resistance to many diseases.
- Korean red ginseng (Panax ginseng) improves insulin sensitivity in high fat fed Sprague-Dawley ratsSeo Hee Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul 120 752, Korea
Phytother Res 26:142-7. 2012..The aim of this study was to determine the effect of Korean red ginseng (KRG, Panax ginseng) and investigate the mechanism of antidiabetic and antiobesity effects in obese insulin resistant animal ..
- Ginsenoside Rp1 from Panax ginseng exhibits anti-cancer activity by down-regulation of the IGF-1R/Akt pathway in breast cancer cellsJu Hee Kang
Division of Cancer Biology, National Cancer Center, Ilsandong gu, Goyang si, Gyeonggi Do, Republic of Korea
Plant Foods Hum Nutr 66:298-305. 2011..One such natural agent is ginseng (Panax ginseng), which is traditionally used in some parts of the world as a popular remedy for various diseases ..
- Ginseng supplementation does not change lactate threshold and physical performances in physically active Thai menOnanong Kulaputana
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok 10330, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 90:1172-9. 2007..Ginseng has been one of the most popular herbs said to improve human exercise performance. Unclear and anecdotal information is known about the effect of ginseng on lactate threshold and aerobic performance in humans...
- Protective effects of total saponins from stem and leaf of Panax ginseng against cyclophosphamide-induced genotoxicity and apoptosis in mouse bone marrow cells and peripheral lymphocyte cellsQiu Hua Zhang
Department of Pharmacology, Shenyang Pharmaceutical University, 110016 Shenyang, PR China
Food Chem Toxicol 46:293-302. 2008..Ginsenosides are biological active constituents of Panax ginseng C.A...
- Panax ginsengDavid Kiefer
Program in Integrative Medicine, University of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, Arizona 85724, USA
Am Fam Physician 68:1539-42. 2003..One of the most commonly used and researched of the ginsengs is Panax ginseng, also called Asian or Korean ginseng...
- Anti-stress effects of Ginkgo biloba and Panax ginseng: a comparative studyDeepak Rai
Division of Pharmacology, Central Drug Research Institute, Lucknow, India
J Pharmacol Sci 93:458-64. 2003..biloba, 30 mg/kg, p.o.) and compared it with that of Panax ginseng (P. ginseng, 100 mg/kg, p.o.) against acute stress (AS) and chronic stress (CS) models in rats...
- Elucidation of the mechanisms underlying the angiogenic effects of ginsenoside Rg(1) in vivo and in vitroPatrick Y K Yue
Hung Lai Ching Laboratory of Biomedical Science, Research and Development Division, School of Chinese Medicine, Hong Kong Baptist University, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Angiogenesis 8:205-16. 2005..Our results suggest that Rg(1) can promote angiogenesis in multiple models, and this effect is partly due to the modulation of genes that are involved in the cytoskeletal dynamics, cell-cell adhesion and migration...
- Detection of Panax quinquefolius in Panax ginseng using 'subtracted diversity array'Linhai Niu
School of Applied Sciences, Health Innovations Research Institute, RMIT University, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia
J Sci Food Agric 91:1310-5. 2011..Further, we used a subtracted diversity array (SDA) to fingerprint the two ginseng species, Panax ginseng and Panax quinquefolius, that are frequently mixed for adulteration.
- Improvement of insulin resistance by panax ginseng in fructose-rich chow-fed ratsT P Liu
Department of General Surgery, Mackay Memorial Hospital, and Mackay Nursing College, Taipei City, Taiwan, R O C
Horm Metab Res 37:146-51. 2005In an attempt to probe a new target for handling insulin resistance, we used Panax ginseng root to screen the effect on insulin resistance induced by fructose-rich chow in rats...
- Inhibition of oxidative DNA damage, 8-OHdG, and carbonyl contents in smokers treated with antioxidants (vitamin E, vitamin C, beta-carotene and red ginseng)B M Lee
Division of Toxicology, School of Pharmacy, Sungkyunkwan University, Suwon, South Korea
Cancer Lett 132:219-27. 1998..3%). These preliminary data suggest that supplementation with antioxidants might protect smokers from oxidative damages and could reduce cancer risk or other diseases caused by free radicals associated with smoking...
- American ginseng preferentially suppresses STAT/iNOS signaling in activated macrophagesTomonaga Ichikawa
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC 29208, USA
J Ethnopharmacol 125:145-50. 2009..Thus, we investigated the effect of a crude extract from Panax quinquefolius (American ginseng) on suppression of pro-inflammatory responses in macrophages with a focus on ..
- Red American ginseng: ginsenoside constituents and antiproliferative activities of heat-processed Panax quinquefolius rootsChong Zhi Wang
Tang Center for Herbal Medicine Research, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Planta Med 73:669-74. 2007Red Asian ginseng ( Panax ginseng C. A. Meyer, Araliaceae) is used in many Oriental countries. In this study, the saponin constituents and anticancer activities of steamed American ginseng ( Panax quinquefolius L.) roots were evaluated...
- Anti-hyperlipidemic effects of red ginseng acidic polysaccharide from Korean red ginsengYi Seong Kwak
Korea Ginseng Corporation Central Research Institute, Daejon 305 805, Korea
Biol Pharm Bull 33:468-72. 2010..Therefore, our data suggest that RGAP may play an additional role in reducing hyperlipidemic conditions, which can be used as a valuable neutraceutical application for the treatment of hyperlipidemia...
- Antiplatelet and anticoagulant effects of Panax notoginseng: comparison of raw and steamed Panax notoginseng with Panax ginseng and Panax quinquefoliumAik Jiang Lau
Department of Pharmacy, National University of Singapore, 18 Science Drive 4, Singapore 117543, Singapore
J Ethnopharmacol 125:380-6. 2009b>Panax notoginseng (Burk.) F. H. Chen (Araliacea) is traditionally used for its hemostatic and cardiovascular effects when raw and as a tonic when steamed.
- Ginseng and diabetesJing Tian Xie
Tang Center for Herbal Medicine Research, The Pritzker School of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Am J Chin Med 33:397-404. 2005..Ginseng has also been commonly used in Oriental medicine to treat diabetes-like conditions. The present review discusses the research on the anti-diabetic effects of ginseng and the possible mechanisms of its anti-diabetic actions...
- Comparison of the pharmacological effects of Panax ginseng and Panax quinquefoliumChieh Fu Chen
Institute of Pharmacology, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, China
Acta Pharmacol Sin 29:1103-8. 2008Medical application of Panax ginseng was first found in "Shen-Nong Herbal Classic"around 200 AD Panax quinquefolium was first introduced in "Essential of Materia Medica" in 1694 in China...
- Anti-fatigue activity of the water-soluble polysaccharides isolated from Panax ginseng C. A. MeyerJia Wang
School of Life Sciences, Northeast Normal University, Changchun, PR China
J Ethnopharmacol 130:421-3. 2010b>Panax ginseng C. A. Meyer (ginseng) is a well-known Chinese herb often used in Asian countries for physical strength development. Ginseng polysaccharides are its active component and have a lot of pharmaceutical activities...
- Steamed American ginseng berry: ginsenoside analyses and anticancer activitiesChong Zhi Wang
Tang Center for Herbal Medicine Research, The Pritzker School of Medicine, University of Chicago, 5841 South Maryland Avenue, MC 4028, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
J Agric Food Chem 54:9936-42. 2006..The steaming of American ginseng berries augments ginsenoside Rg3 content and increases the antiproliferative effects on two human colorectal cancer cell lines...
- Ginseng: potential for the enhancement of cognitive performance and moodDavid O Kennedy
Human Cognitive Neuroscience Unit, Division of Psychology, Northumbria University, Newcastle upon Tyne, RG30 1EA, UK
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 75:687-700. 2003..It is suggested that ginseng would benefit from rigorous research further delineating its acute effects and exploring the relationship between acute effects and those seen during and following chronic administration regimens...
- Asian ginseng extract inhibits in vitro and in vivo growth of mouse lewis lung carcinoma via modulation of ERK-p53 and NF-κB signalingVincent Kam Wai Wong
Centre for Cancer and Inflammation Research, School of Chinese Medicine, Hong Kong Baptist University, Kowloon Tong, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China
J Cell Biochem 111:899-910. 2010..This is the first report demonstrating possible combination of EAG with proteasome inhibitors could be a novel strategy in anti-cancer treatment...
- Pharmacokinetics and bioavailability of ginsenoside Rb1 and Rg1 from Panax notoginseng in ratsQing Fang Xu
Department of Pharmaceutics, School of Pharmacy, Fudan University, 138 Yixueyuan Road, Shanghai 200032, People s Republic of China
J Ethnopharmacol 84:187-92. 2003b>Panax notoginseng is used as a therapeutic agent to stop haemorrhages and a tonic to promote health in Chinese medicine. Currently saponins of P. notoginseng (PNS) are especially given attentions for their hemorheological properties...
- Korean red ginseng (Panax ginseng) improves insulin sensitivity and attenuates the development of diabetes in Otsuka Long-Evans Tokushima fatty ratsHyun Joo Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul 120 752, Korea
Metabolism 58:1170-7. 2009..In this study, we investigated the metabolic effects and putative molecular mechanisms of Korean red ginseng (KRG, Panax ginseng) in animal models for type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) and peripheral insulin-responsive cell lines...
- Free radical scavenging activity of red ginseng aqueous extractsYoo K Kim
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720 3200, USA
Toxicology 172:149-56. 2002This study was performed to investigate the free radical scavenging activity of Panax red ginseng C.A...
- Protective effects of ginsenoside Rg2 against glutamate-induced neurotoxicity in PC12 cellsNa Li
Department of Physiology, Medical College of Qingdao University, Qingdao 266071, PR China
J Ethnopharmacol 111:458-63. 2007..In addition, the inhibitory effect of ginsenoside Rg2 against the formation of Abeta1-40 suggests that ginsenoside Rg2 may also represent a potential treatment strategy for Alzheimer's disease...
- Korean red ginseng (Panax ginseng) improves glucose and insulin regulation in well-controlled, type 2 diabetes: results of a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of efficacy and safetyVladimir Vuksan
Department of Nutritional Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 18:46-56. 2008....
- Oral ginseng formulae for stable chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a systematic reviewXuedong An
Discipline of Chinese Medicine, School of Health Sciences, RMIT University, Bundoora, VIC 3083, Australia
Respir Med 105:165-76. 2011..Ginseng formulae for stable COPD patients show promising evidence of lung functions and Qol improvement. However, the degree of benefit is uncertain due to potential risk of bias of the included studies...
- Characterization of gene expression regulated by American ginseng and ginsenoside Rg3 in human colorectal cancer cellsXiaoji Luo
Molecular Oncology Laboratory, Department of Surgery, The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Int J Oncol 32:975-83. 2008American ginseng (Panax quinquefolius L., Araliaceae) possesses anti-cancer potential and is one of the most commonly used herbal medicines in the United States...
- Antiallergic activity of ginseng and its ginsenosidesMin Kyung Choo
College of Pharmacy, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, Korea
Planta Med 69:518-22. 2003In this study, we measured the antiallergic activities of ginsenosides isolated from the root of Panax ginseng ( Araliaceae), and of their metabolites, as produced by human intestinal bacteria...
- The immunomodulator ginsan induces resistance to experimental sepsis by inhibiting Toll-like receptor-mediated inflammatory signalsJi Yeon Ahn
Laboratory of Radiation Immunology, Korea Institute of Radiological and Medical Sciences, Seoul, Korea
Eur J Immunol 36:37-45. 2006Ginsan, a polysaccharide extracted from Panax ginseng, has multiple immunomodulatory effects. In this study, we show that pretreatment of ginsan (25 mug/kg) protected mice from lethality induced by Staphylococcus aureus challenge...
- Beta-amyrin synthase--cloning of oxidosqualene cyclase that catalyzes the formation of the most popular triterpene among higher plantsT Kushiro
The Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Japan
Eur J Biochem 256:238-44. 1998..A homology-based PCR method was attempted to obtain the cDNA of this enzyme from the hairy root of Panax ginseng which produces oleanane saponins together with dammarane-type saponins...
- Panax notoginseng attenuates LPS-induced pro-inflammatory mediators in RAW264.7 cellsAva Rhule
Department of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Montana, Missoula, MT 59812 1552, USA
J Ethnopharmacol 106:121-8. 2006..Therefore, the immunomodulatory effects of the herbal extract Panax notoginseng on cultured macrophages (RAW264...
- 454 EST analysis detects genes putatively involved in ginsenoside biosynthesis in Panax ginsengS Chen
Institute of Medicinal Plant Development, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Haidian, Beijing 100193, China
Plant Cell Rep 30:1593-601. 2011b>Panax ginseng C.A. Meyer is one of the most highly valued medicinal plants in the world. To analyze the transcriptome of P...
- Ginsenosides inhibit EGF-induced proliferation of renal proximal tubule cells via decrease of c-fos and c-jun gene expression in vitroHo Jae Han
Department of Veterinary Physiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Hormone Research Center, Chonnam National University, Kwangju 500 757, Korea
Planta Med 68:971-4. 2002..Abbreviations. EGF:epidermal growth factor PD:protopanaxadiol PT:protopanaxatriol PTCs:primary cultured renal proximal tubule cells..
- American ginseng suppresses inflammation and DNA damage associated with mouse colitisYu Jin
Department of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences, South Carolina College of Pharmacy, University of South Carolina, SC 29208, USA
Carcinogenesis 29:2351-9. 2008..Results are consistent with this hypothesis. The use of American ginseng extract represents a novel therapeutic approach for the prevention and treatment of UC...
- Saponins composition in American ginseng leaf and berry assayed by high-performance liquid chromatographyChong Zhi Wang
Tang Center for Herbal Medicine Research, The University of Chicago, Chicago, Illnois 60637, USA
J Agric Food Chem 54:2261-6. 2006..was ginsenoside Rb3, while Rb3 only had limited amounts in the root of American ginseng and other species of the Panax genus. Ginsenoside Rb3 was quantified as 4.71% in American ginseng leaves and 5...
- Enhanced triterpene and phytosterol biosynthesis in Panax ginseng overexpressing squalene synthase geneMi Hyun Lee
Korea Ginseng Institute, Chung Ang University, Ansung 456 756, Kyunggi Do, Korea
Plant Cell Physiol 45:976-84. 2004Roots of Panax ginseng, one of the most famous medicinal plants, contain various phytosterols and bioactive triterpene saponins (ginsenosides). In P...
- Dammarenediol-II synthase, the first dedicated enzyme for ginsenoside biosynthesis, in Panax ginsengPimpimon Tansakul
Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, The University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
FEBS Lett 580:5143-9. 2006b>Panax ginseng produces triterpene saponins called ginsenosides, which are classified into two groups by the skeleton of aglycones, namely dammarane type and oleanane type...
- Photoprotective effect of red ginseng against ultraviolet radiation-induced chronic skin damage in the hairless mouseHae June Lee
Korea Institute of Radiological and Medical Science, Seoul 139 240, South Korea
Phytother Res 23:399-403. 2009..2% (topical administration) in the RG treated groups. It is noted that skin that is chronically exposed to UV is subject to photoaging and photocarcinogenesis and the regular use of RG would prevent these photodamaging effects of UV...
- Role of cyclin inhibitor protein p21 in the inhibition of HCT116 human colon cancer cell proliferation by American ginseng (Panax quinquefolius) and its constituentsM L King
Southern Illinois University, School of Medicine, Department of Physiology, Carbondale, IL 62901, USA
Phytomedicine 17:261-8. 2010..This study suggests that p21 functions to arrest HCT116 wild-type cells treated with GE, while p21-deficient cells undergo cell death in a ginseng constituent-dependent manner...
- Immunomodulating activity of CVT-E002, a proprietary extract from North American ginseng (Panax quinquefolium)M Wang
CV Technologies Inc, Alberta, Canada
J Pharm Pharmacol 53:1515-23. 2001..CVT-E002, an aqueous extract containing mainly oligosaccharides and polysaccharides from North American ginseng (Panax quinquefolium), as an immunobooster on murine spleen cells and peritoneal macrophages, was studied in-vitro...
- Dammarane-type Saponins from Panax japonicus and their neurite outgrowth activity in SK-N-SH cellsKun Zou
Research Center for Ethnomedicines, Institute of Natural Medicine, Toyama Medical and Pharmaceutical University, 2630 Sugitani, Japan
J Nat Prod 65:1288-92. 2002..yesanchinosides G-J, together with nine ginsenosides (5-13) were isolated from Ye-Sanchi, the underground part of Panax japonicus collected in the south of Yunnan Province, China...
- In vitro and in vivo anticancer effects of American ginseng berry: exploring representative compoundsJing Tian Xie
Tang Center for Herbal Medicine Research, University of Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Biol Pharm Bull 32:1552-8. 2009b>Panax ginseng roots, including the steamed roots, have been demonstrated to possess anticancer properties. However, there have been limited published studies on the cancer preventive effects of American ginseng...
- Triterpene saponins from Vietnamese ginseng (Panax vietnamensis) and their hepatocytoprotective activityQ L Tran
Institute of Natural Medicine, Toyama Medical and Pharmaceutical University, 2630 Sugitani, Toyama 930-0194, Japan
J Nat Prod 64:456-61. 2001The methanol extract of Vietnamese ginseng (Panax vietnamensis) was found to possess hepatocytoprotective effects on D-galactosamine (D-GalN)/tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha)-induced cell death in primary cultured mouse ..
- Non-organ-specific preventive effect of long-term administration of Korean red ginseng extract on incidence of human cancersTaik Koo Yun
Korea Institute of Cancer Chemoprevention, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Med Food 13:489-94. 2010Previously, two case-control studies and a cohort study strongly suggested that Panax ginseng C.A. Meyer exerted non-organ-specific preventive effects against cancer...
- Effects of heat-processed ginseng and its active component ginsenoside 20(S)-Rg3 on the progression of renal damage and dysfunction in type 2 diabetic Otsuka Long-Evans Tokushima Fatty ratsKi Sung Kang
Institute of Natural Medicine, University of Toyama, Sugitani, Toyama 930 0194, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 33:1077-81. 2010..This study provides scientific evidence that 20(S)-Rg(3) prevents the progression of renal damage and dysfunction in type 2 diabetic rats via inhibiting oxidative stress and advanced glycation endproduct formation...
- Protective effect of sun ginseng against diabetic renal damageKi Sung Kang
Institute of Natural Medicine, University of Toyama, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 29:1678-84. 2006The effect of sun ginseng (SG, heat-processed Panax ginseng C. A. MEYER at 120 degrees C) on diabetic renal damage was investigated using streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats...
- Protective effects of trilinolein extracted from panax notoginseng against cardiovascular diseasePaul Chan
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Taipei Medical College Affiliated Taipei Wan Fang Hospital, Taipei, China
Acta Pharmacol Sin 23:1157-62. 2002Trilinolein is a triacylglycerol purified from a commonly used traditional Chinese medicine Panax notoginseng...
- The mitochondrial pathway is involved in American ginseng-induced apoptosis of SW-480 colon cancer cellsChong Zhi Wang
Tang Center for Herbal Medicine Research, The Pritzker School of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Oncol Rep 21:577-84. 2009..The mitochondrial pathway may play a key role in American ginseng-mediated cancer cell apoptosis...
- Expression and RNA interference-induced silencing of the dammarenediol synthase gene in Panax ginsengJung Yeon Han
College of Pharmacy, Kangwon National University, Chunchon 200 701, Republic of Korea
Plant Cell Physiol 47:1653-62. 2006b>Panax ginseng is one of the most highly valued herbal medicines in the Orient, where it has gained an almost magical reputation for being able to maintain the quality of life...
- Panax ginseng: a role in cancer therapy?Yuan S Chang
School of Pharmacy, China Medical College, Taichung, Taiwan, Republic of China
Integr Cancer Ther 2:13-33. 2003b>Panax ginseng is a plant that has been used in traditional medicine in China for thousands of years...
- A natural compound (ginsenoside Re) isolated from Panax ginseng as a novel angiogenic agent for tissue regenerationYa Chun Huang
Department of Chemical Engineering, National Tsing Hua University, Hsinchu, Taiwan, Republic of China
Pharm Res 22:636-46. 2005..In this study, the feasibility of using a natural compound, ginsenoside Re, isolated from Panax ginseng in stimulating angiogenesis and for tissue regeneration was evaluated.
- High-performance liquid chromatographic method with quantitative comparisons of whole chromatograms of raw and steamed Panax notoginsengAik Jiang Lau
Department of Pharmacy, Faculty of Science, National University of Singapore, Singapore 117543, Singapore
J Chromatogr A 1057:141-9. 2004..with chromatographic pattern matching was developed to differentiate whole chromatograms of raw and steamed Panax notoginseng objectively and quantitatively...
- Analysis of saponins in raw and steamed Panax notoginseng using high-performance liquid chromatography with diode array detectionAik Jiang Lau
Department of Pharmacy, Faculty of Science, National University of Singapore, 18 Science Drive 4, Singapore 117543, Singapore
J Chromatogr A 1011:77-87. 2003..determination of six saponins (notoginsenoside R1, ginsenosides Rg1, Re, Rb1, Rc, Rd) in raw and steamed Panax notoginseng. Linearity (r2 > 0.9988), intra- and inter-day precision (RSD < 4%), limit of detection (0.008-0...
- R21 Project: Anti-diabetic Effects of Panax ginsengChun Su Yuan; Fiscal Year: 2003..This proposal will focus on our studies on anti-diabetic effects of Panax ginseng, and this project is a continuation of our previous ginseng pharmacological studies...
- Development and validation of DNA sequence-based methods of medicinal herb specieDANICA TAYLOR HARBAUGH REYNAUD; Fiscal Year: 2012..each of the following five species: licorice (Glycyrrhiza uralensis), goldenseal (Hydrastis canadensis), ginseng (Panax quinquefolius), rhubarb (Rheum palmatum), and skullcap (Scutellaria lateriflora);these five species were chosen ..
- Nitric oxide as a target for dietary intervention in colitisMichael Wargovich; Fiscal Year: 2007..Here, we postulate that two antioxidant herbal supplements, Ginkgo biloba and American ginseng (Panax quinquefolis), will inhibit colitis through the inhibition of nitric oxide synthase, inhibiting subsequent nitric ..
- Radioprotective Potential of GinsengTung Kwang Lee; Fiscal Year: 2006..Accomplishing these aims will provide an essential prerequisite to the development of NAGE as an effective radioprotector. ..
- Clinical Assessment of Herb-Drug InteractionsBill Gurley; Fiscal Year: 2005..e. CYPIA2, CYP2D6 and CYP3A4); and (3) whether prolonged herb use can modulate P-gp-mediated drug absorption and elimination. ..
- Chemoprevention of prostate cancer by resveratrolTze Chen Hsieh; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Akt activation sustains silica induced inflammationCELINE BEAMER; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- DIETARY FATTY CONTROL OF INFLAMMATIONKevin High; Fiscal Year: 2002..Health relateness: Answering these fundamental questions will shed critical light on the feasibility of utilizing dietary fatty acids to regulate AA metabolism and related clinical disorders. ..
- Functional Senescence of Innate Immunity and PneumoniaKevin High; Fiscal Year: 2003..These data are essential to design meaningful studies using the case-control method, the most effective means of studying the link between immune senescence and infection risk. ..
- Brucella, Aging and Role of IL-17 in Host DefenseKevin High; Fiscal Year: 2005..The data generated in this proposal will form the foundation of future R01 proposals aimed at enhancing immunity vs. intracellular pathogens in our aging population. ..
- T-Cell Responses Predict Influenza Risk in Older AdultsJanet McElhaney; Fiscal Year: 2004..The goal is to define an immunologic test that measures influenza risk, a measure critical to future vaccine development and targeted prophylaxis in older adults. ..
- Anti-Cancer Ginsenosides: Their Interactions and Mechanisms of ActionLaura Murphy; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- CANNABINOIDS AND THE HYPOTHALAMIC-PITUITARY-ADRENAL AXISLaura Murphy; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Integrating Aging and Cancer ResearchRobert Wallace; Fiscal Year: 2007..Remaining activities include program administration, including ongoing planning and evaluation activities, and provision of variously sized pilot grants to promote research in the areas selected for development. ..
- Adjuvant Ginseng Use During Breast Cancer Drug TherapyLaura Murphy; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- T-Cell Responses Predict Influenza Risk in Older AdultsJanet E McElhaney; Fiscal Year: 2010..3) Test heat shock proteins (Hsp) as potential vaccine adjuvants to enhance the CTL response to vaccination. ..
- Herb Drug InteractionsGary Henderson; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..