Summary: A plant genus of the family APOCYNACEAE. It is a very poisonous plant that contains cardioactive agents.
Publications129 found, 100 shown here
- The cardiotonic effect of the crude ethanolic extract of Nerium oleander in the isolated guinea pig heartsR O Adome
Department of Pharmacy, Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda
Afr Health Sci 3:77-82. 2003..One such herb of interest is Nerium oleander...
- Stability of oleander extract and oleandrin in sera stored in plastic serum separator tubesAmitava Dasgupta
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Texas Health Sciences Center in Houston, Houston, Texas, USA
Ann Clin Biochem 44:485-7. 2007....
- Toxicity of Nerium oleander leaf extract in miceM H Haeba
Department of Zoology, Faculty of Science, University of Garyounis, Post Box 9480, Benghazi, Libya
J Environ Biol 23:231-7. 2002Non-lethal dose of 70% ethanol extract of the Nerium oleander dry leaves (1000 mg/kg body weight) was subcutaneously injected into male and female mice once a week for 9 weeks (total 10 doses)...
- Deaths due to absence of an affordable antitoxin for plant poisoningMichael Eddleston
Centre for Tropical Medicine, Nuffield Department of Clinical Medicine, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Lancet 362:1041-4. 2003..Treatments for poisoning and envenoming should be included in the present campaign to increase availability of affordable treatments in the developing world...
- Cytotoxic effects of leaf, stem and root extracts of Nerium oleander on leukemia cell lines and role of the p-glycoprotein in this effectNevruz Turan
Istanbul University, Faculty of Science, Department of Biology, Vezneciler, Istanbul, Turkey
J Exp Ther Oncol 6:31-8. 2006b>Nerium oleander (No), is a toxic plant. In recent studies, it was determined that the extracts of this plant are effective to treat some types of cancer, but these studies are limited and do not include human leukemia...
- New polysaccharide from Nerium indicum protects neurons via stress kinase signaling pathwayMan Shan Yu
Laboratory of Neurodegenerative Diseases, Department of Anatomy, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong
Brain Res 1153:221-30. 2007..Our previous study has demonstrated that polysaccharides (J2, J3 and J4) isolated from the flowers of Nerium indicum (Oleander) exert partial protection in cortical neurons stressed by beta-amyloid (Abeta) peptides or ..
- Taraxasterane- and ursane-type triterpenes from Nerium oleander and their biological activitiesMing Zhao
Graduate School of Science and Technology, Niigata University, Ikarashi, 2 8050, Niigata 950 2181, Japan
J Nat Prod 69:1164-7. 2006..1) and 20beta,28-epoxytaraxaster-21-en-3beta-ol (2), were isolated from an ethyl acetate extract of the leaves of Nerium oleander, together with ursane-type triterpenes, 28-nor-urs-12-ene-3beta,17beta-diol (3) and 3beta-hydroxyurs-12-..
- Characterization of polysaccharides from the flowers of Nerium indicum and their neuroprotective effectsMan Shan Yu
Laboratory of Neurodegenerative Diseases, Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, 21 Sassoon Road, Hong Kong, SAR
Int J Mol Med 14:917-24. 2004..Recently, two pure polysaccharides isolated from the flowers of Nerium indicum were shown to stimulate proliferation and differentiation of PC12 pheochromocytoma cells, an effect ..
- Bioactive cardenolides from the stems and twigs of Nerium oleanderMing Zhao
Graduate School of Science and Technology and Department of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Niigata University, Ikarashi, 2 8050, Niigata, 950 2181, Japan
J Nat Prod 70:1098-103. 2007Four new cardenolide monoglycosides, cardenolides N-1 (1), N-2 (2), N-3 (3), and N-4 (4), were isolated from Nerium oleander, together with two known cardenolides, 5 and 12, and seven cardenolide monoglycosides, 6-11 and 13...
- Characterization of inhibitors of postprandial hyperglycemia from the leaves of Nerium indicumAkiko Ishikawa
Department of Nutritional Science, Okayama Prefectural University, Soja, Okayama 719 1197, Japan
J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 53:166-73. 2007b>Nerium indicum is an India-Pakistan-originated shrub belonging to the oleander family. The ingestion of leaves of N...
- Molluscicidal activity of Nerium indicum Mill, Pterocarya stenoptera DC, and Rumex japonicum houtt on Oncomelania hupensisHong Wang
School of Environmental Science and Engineering, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai 200240, China
Biomed Environ Sci 19:245-8. 2006..To evaluate the molluscicidal activities of three Chinese plants N. indicum Mill, R stenoptera DC, and R. japonicum Houtt, and to clarify the molluscicidal mechanism...
- Bioactive pregnanes from Nerium oleanderLiming Bai
Graduate School of Science and Technology, Department of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Niigata University, Ikarashi, 2 8050, Niigata 950 2181, Japan
J Nat Prod 70:14-8. 2007..2), and 16beta,17beta-epoxy-12beta-hydroxypregna-4,6-diene-3,20-dione (3), were isolated from Nerium oleander, together with two known compounds, 12beta-hydroxypregna-4,6,16-triene-3,20-dione (neridienone A, 4) and ..
- Larvicidal potential of Nerium indicum and Thuja oriertelis extracts against malaria and Japanese encephalitis vectorPreeti Sharma
Applied Entomology and Vector Control Laboratory, Department of Zoology, Faculty of Science, Dayalbagh Educational Institute Deemed University, Dayalbagh, Agra 282 005, India
J Environ Biol 26:657-60. 2005Ethanolic and acetone extracts of Nerium indicum and Thuja orientelis have been studied against III instar larvae of Anopheles stephensi and Culex quinquefasciatus. Ethanolic extract of N...
- A rare cause of complete heart block after transdermal botanical treatment for psoriasisWojciech Wojtyna
Kantonsspital Glarus, Department of Internal Medicine, Glarus, Switzerland
Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 27:1686-8. 2004..implantation of a definitive DDDR pacemaker, the patient reported a transdermal self-medication with an extract of Nerium oleander for the treatment of his psoriasis...
- Clinical and pathological aspects of experimental oleander (Nerium oleander) toxicosis in sheepM R Aslani
Department of Clinical Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, P O Box 91775 1793, Mashhad, Iran
Vet Res Commun 28:609-16. 2004Dried Nerium oleander leaves at single lethal dose of 110 mg/kg body weight were administered orally to six native male sheep...
- Unexpectedly dangerous escargot stew: oleandrin poisoning through the alimentary chainCecilia Gechtman
Dipartimento di Medicina di Laboratorio, AO Ospedale Niguarda Ca Granda, Milano, Italy
J Anal Toxicol 30:683-6. 2006..Cardiac-glycoside-like intoxication symptoms follow the ingestion of leaves or flowers of Nerium oleander. The consumed snails were suspected to be responsible for the intoxication...
- Control of common freshwater predatory fish, Channa punctatus, through Nerium indicum leaf extractsSudhanshu Tiwari
Natural Product Laboratory, Department of Zoology, DDU Gorakhpur University, Gorakhpur 273009 UP, India
Chemosphere 53:865-75. 2003The diethyl ether, chloroform, acetone and methanol extract of Nerium indicum leaf were evaluated for their piscicidal activity against common freshwater air breathing predatory fish Channa punctatus...
- Piscicidal effect of some common plants of India commonly used in freshwater bodies against target animalsDigvijay Singh
National Bureau of Fish Genetic Resources, Lucknow, UP, India
Chemosphere 49:45-9. 2002..Thus, the LC50 values of stem bark extracts of Euphorbia royleana, Jatropha gossypifolia, Nerium indicum and Thevelia peruviana were decreased from 0.050 g/l (24 h) > to 0.020 g/l (96 h); 4...
- Simultaneous determination of cardenolides by sonic spray ionization liquid chromatography-ion trap mass spectrometry--a fatal case of oleander poisoningTomonori Arao
Department of Legal Medicine, School of Medicine, University of the Ryukyus, Nishihara, Okinawa, Japan
J Anal Toxicol 26:222-7. 2002..In order to make identification of oleandrin reliable, LC-MS-MS analysis was performed. The concentrations of oleandrin found in the heart blood and cerebrospinal fluid were 9.8 and 10.1 ng/mL, respectively...
- Toxicity of Nerium indicum Miller seed extract on bandicoot rat, Bandicota bengalensis GrayK Saravanan
PG and Research Dept of Zoology and Wildlife Biology, A V C College Autonomous, Mannampandal 609 305, India
Indian J Exp Biol 42:1003-6. 2004..Crude extract (12.5 ml/kg) of N. indicum seed gave 100% mortality of B. bengalensis. Humanness assessment study revealed that this plant orgin chemical caused low pain and sufferings to the target pests...
- Epidemiology of intentional self-poisoning in rural Sri LankaMichael Eddleston
Department of Clinical Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, PO Box 271, 25 Kynsey Road, Colombo 8, Sri Lanka
Br J Psychiatry 187:583-4. 2005..Although the age pattern of self-poisoning was similar to that of industrialised countries, case fatality was more than 15 times higher and the pattern of fatal self-poisoning different...
- Acute cattle intoxication from Nerium oleander podsB Soto-Blanco
Departamento de Ciências Animais, Universidade Federal Rural do Semi Arido, Mossoró, Brazil
Trop Anim Health Prod 38:451-4. 2006Seven outbreaks of acute intoxication from oleander (Nerium oleander) in cattle were reported in Northeast of Brazil. A total of 92 cattle were poisoned by oleander in 7 different herds; 57 animals died (67% of affected cattle)...
- Suspected Nerium oleander (Oleander) poisoning in a horseK J Hughes
University Veterinary Centre, The University of Sydney, Faculty of Veterinary Science, Camden, New South Wales
Aust Vet J 80:412-5. 2002
- [Nerium oleander poisoning]B Domínguez Fuentes
Rev Clin Esp 207:537. 2007
- Efficacy of activated charcoal in yellow oleander poisoningR J Peiris-John
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Sri Jayewardenepura, Nugeoda, Sri Lanka
Ceylon Med J 53:33-5. 2008
- Ethnopharmacological survey of wild medicinal plants in Showbak, JordanS Al-Qura'n
Mu tah University, Faculty of Science, Department of Biology, P O Box 26, Mu tah, Karak, Jordan
J Ethnopharmacol 123:45-50. 2009..Euphorbia tinctoria Boiss., Glaucium corniculatum (L.) Curt., Hyoscyamus aureus L., Mandragora officinarum L., Nerium oleander L., Ricinus communis L., Solanum nigrum L., Withania somnifera (L.) Dunel...
- Ethnopharmacological survey of plants used in the traditional treatment of hypertension and diabetes in south-eastern Morocco (Errachidia province)A Tahraoui
UFR Physiology Pharmacology, Laboratory of Animal Physiology, Department of Biology, Faculty of Sciences, Dhar El Mehraz, USMBA, BP 1976 Atlas Fez, Morocco
J Ethnopharmacol 110:105-17. 2007..the toxic plants and are very careful in using such plants, which are Citrullus colocynthis, Datura stramonium, Nerium oleander, Nigella sativa, Peganum harmala and Zygophyllum gaetulum...
- Applicability of leachates originating from solid-waste landfills for irrigation in landfill restoration projectsReyhan Erdogan
Department of Landscape Architecture, University of Cukurova, Balcali Kampusu 01330, Yuregir, Adana, Turkey
J Environ Biol 29:779-84. 2008..Stenotaphrum secundatum, Paspalum notatum, Pennisetum clandestinum, Mentha piperita, Rosmarinus officinalis, Nerium oleander, Pelargonium peltatum and Kochia scoparia species...
- Contribution to the knowledge of the veterinary science and of the ethnobotany in Calabria region (Southern Italy)Nicodemo G Passalacqua
Museo di Storia Naturale della Calabria ed Orto Botanico, Universita della Calabria, 87030 Arcavacata di Rende, Italy
J Ethnobiol Ethnomed 2:52. 2006..Until some decades ago the road network was poorly developed and villages were isolated, so that the culture of the "subsistence" and some archaic customs were kept...
- Physiological changes in certain test plants under automobile exhaust pollutionMadhumanjari Mandal
Department of Botany, Scottish Church College, 1 and 3 Urquhart Square, Kolkata 700 006, India
J Environ Biol 27:43-7. 2006..But such roadside plants like Nerium indicum Mill., Boerhaavia diffusa L., Amaranthus spinosus L., Cephalandra indica Naud...
- Autophagic cell death of human pancreatic tumor cells mediated by oleandrin, a lipid-soluble cardiac glycosideRobert A Newman
Department of Experimental Therapeutics, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77054, USA
Integr Cancer Ther 6:354-64. 2007..Past research with oleandrin, a principle cardiac glycoside in Nerium oleander L. (Apocynaceae), has been shown to induce cell death through induction of apoptosis...
- Unripe red fruits may be aposematicSimcha Lev-Yadun
Department of Science Education Biology, Faculty of Science and Science Education, University of Haifa Oranim, Tivon, Israel
Plant Signal Behav 4:836-41. 2009The unripe fruits of certain species are red. Some of these species disperse their seeds by wind (Nerium oleander, Anabasis articulata), others by adhering to animals with their spines (Emex spinosa) or prickles (Hedysarum spinosissimum)...
- Genetic differentiation in Tetranychus urticae (Acari: Tetranychidae): polymorphism, host races or sibling species?M Navajas
INRA CBGP, Laboratoire de Modélisation et Biologie Evolutive, Montpellier, France
Exp Appl Acarol 24:365-76. 2000..we studied the genetic variation of the two-spotted spider mite Tetranychus urticae Koch collected on rose bay, Nerium oleander L. (Apocynaceae), from several localities around the Mediterranean basin...
- Selection of woody species for wastewater enhancement and restoration of riparian woodlandsM Adrover
Department of Biology, University of Balearic Islands 07122, Palma de Mallorca, Spain
J Environ Biol 29:357-61. 2008..However, growth of Cupressus sempervirens and Populus nigra were inhibited by water sodium concentration. Nerium oleander, Tamarix africana and Vitex agnus-castus were the species with the greatest final biomass...
- Chinese herbs and herbal extracts for neuroprotection of dopaminergic neurons and potential therapeutic treatment of Parkinson's diseaseLiang Wei Chen
Institute of Neurosciences, The Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an 710032, PR China
CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets 6:273-81. 2007..biloba and EGb 761, polygonum, triptolide from tripterygium wilfordii hook, polysaccharides from the flowers of nerium indicum, oil from ganoderma lucidum spores, huperzine and stepholidine are able to attenuate degeneration of ..
- The toxicity of four native Indian plants: effect on AChE and acid/alkaline phosphatase level in fish Channa maruliusDigvijay Singh
Department of Zoology, D D U Gorakhpur University, Gorakhpur 273 009, UP, India
Chemosphere 60:135-40. 2005The latex of four plants viz. Euphorbia royleana, Jatropha gossypifolia (Euphorbiaceae), Nerium indicum and Thevetia peruviana (Apocynaceae) caused significant reduction in acid/alkaline phosphatase activity and anti-acetylcholinesterase ..
- Minimisation of N2O emissions from a plant-soil system under landfill leachate irrigationHou Hu Zhang
State Key Laboratory of Pollution Control and Resources Reuse, Key Laboratory of Yangtze River Water Environment, College of Environmental Science and Engineering, Tongji University, 1239 Siping Road, Shanghai 200092, China
Waste Manag 29:1012-7. 2009..A field investigation, consisting of three plots planted with Cynodon dactylon, Nerium indicum Mill, and Festuca arundinacea Schreb, was then conducted to select plant species...
- Anvirzel, an extract of Nerium oleander, induces cell death in human but not murine cancer cellsS Pathak
Department of Cancer Biology, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030, USA
Anticancer Drugs 11:455-63. 2000..study was to examine the mechanism(s) and differential cell-killing effects of Anvirzel, an extract of oleander (Nerium oleander; family-Apocynaceae), and its derivative compound Oleandrin on human, canine and murine tumor cells...
- Effect of selected insecticides on Homalodisca coagulata (Homoptera: Cicadellidae) and transmission of oleander leaf scorch in a greenhouse studyJ A Bethke
Department of Entomology, University of California, Riverside 92521, USA
J Econ Entomol 94:1031-6. 2001..Wells, Raju, Hung, Weisberg, Mandelco-Paul & Brenner that induces oleander leaf scorch disease in oleander, Nerium oleander L...
- A fatal case of oleandrin poisoningIbrahim A Wasfi
Department of Forensic Evidence, Forensic Science Laboratory, Abu Dhabi, PO Box 253, United Arab Emirates
Forensic Sci Int 179:e31-6. 2008..and oleander leaves were analyzed by LC-MS/MS for oleandrin and related compounds, the main cardiac glycosides of Nerium oleander. Oleandrin was detected by LC-MS/MS in the blood sample at a concentration of approximately 10 ng/ml...
- Microbial metabolism of biologically active secondary metabolites from Nerium oleander LAmany Ibrahim
Department of Pharmacognosy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Suez Canal University, Ismailia, Egypt
Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 56:1253-8. 2008Ursolic acid (1) and kaempferol (3) are two major constituents of the Mediterranean plant Nerium oleander L...
- Minimizing N2O fluxes from full-scale municipal solid waste landfill with properly selected cover soilHouhu Zhang
State Key Laboratory of Pollution Control and Resources Reuse, Tongji University, Shanghai 200092, China
J Environ Sci (China) 20:189-94. 2008..A full-scale sanitary landfill, a full-scale bioreactor landfill and a cell planted with Nerium indicum or Festuca arundinacea Schreb, at the Hangzhou Tianziling landfill in Hangzhou City were the test sites...
- Structural elucidation of a new arabinogalactan from the leaves of Nerium indicumQ Dong
Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica, Chinese Academy of Sciences, People s Republic of China
Carbohydr Res 332:109-14. 2001A polysaccharide fraction, NIB-2, was obtained from the 3% aqueous sodium carbonate extract of Nerium indicum leaves using anion-exchange chromatography and gel-permeation chromatography...
- Functional evidence for physiological mechanisms to circumvent neurotoxicity of cardenolides in an adapted and a non-adapted hawk-moth speciesGeorg Petschenka
Molekulare Evolutionsbiologie, Biozentrum Grindel, Martin Luther King Platz 3, 20146 Hamburg, Germany
Proc Biol Sci 280:20123089. 2013..This may explain the high in vivo resistance to cardenolides observed in some lepidopteran larvae, despite their highly sensitive Na(+)K(+)-ATPases...
- Biosurfactants prevent in vitro Candida albicans biofilm formation on resins and silicon materials for prosthetic devicesAndrea Cochis
Dipartimento di Scienze della Salute, Amedeo Avogadro Università del Piemonte Orientale, Novara, Italy
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol 113:755-61. 2012..The aim of this study was to evaluate in vitro the preventive antiadhesion activity of biosurfactants against Candida albicans biofilm...
- Effect of medicinal and aromatic plants on rumen fermentation, protozoa population and methanogenesis in vitroR Bhatta
Energy Metabolism Laboratory, National Institute of Animal Nutrition and Physiology, Bangalore, India
J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr (Berl) 97:446-56. 2013..protozoa population with PEG when incubating Cardiospermum halicacabum, Clerodendrum inerme, Dioscorea floribunda, Nerium oleander and Selastras paniculatus, which strongly suggested that methane suppression recorded in these samples ..
- A TaqMan-based real time PCR assay for specific detection and quantification of Xylella fastidiosa strains causing bacterial leaf scorch in oleanderWei Guan
Floral and Nursery Plants Research Unit, U S Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
J Microbiol Methods 92:108-12. 2013..fastidiosa should be useful for disease diagnosis, epidemiological studies, management of oleander leaf scorch disease, and resistance screening for oleander shrubs...
- Oleander toxicosis in equids: 30 cases (1995-2010)Anna C Renier
William R Pritchard Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California Davis, Davis, CA 95616, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 242:540-9. 2013..To determine clinical, laboratory analysis, and necropsy findings for equids with oleander toxicosis and to identify factors associated with outcome...
- Plant poisoning in domestic animals: epidemiological data from an Italian survey (2000-2011)F Caloni
Department of Health, Animal Science and Food Safety, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Via Celoria 10, Milan 20133, Italy
Vet Rec 172:580. 2013..Cycas revoluta, Euphorbia pulcherrima, Hydrangea macrophylla, Nerium oleander, Rhododendron species and Prunus species were the plants most frequently involved...
- A hydroalcoholic extract from the leaves of Nerium oleander inhibits glycolysis and induces selective killing of lung cancer cellsJosé Manuel Calderón-Montaño
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Seville, Seville, Spain
Planta Med 79:1017-23. 2013Recent evidence suggests that cardiac glycosides might be used for the treatment of cancer. The ornamental shrub Nerium oleander has been used in traditional medicine for treating several disorders including cancer, and extracts from the ..
- Evaluation of leaf aqueous extract and synthesized silver nanoparticles using Nerium oleander against Anopheles stephensi (Diptera: Culicidae)Mathath Roni
Division of Entomology, Department of Zoology, School of Life Sciences, Bharathiar University, Coimbatore, 641 046, Tamil Nadu, India
Parasitol Res 112:981-90. 2013..carried out to establish the larvicidal activity of synthesized silver nanoparticles (AgNPs) using leaf extract of Nerium oleander (Apocynaceae) against the first to fourth instar larvae and pupae of malaria vector, Anopheles stephensi (..
- Nerium oleander Distillate Improves Fat and Glucose Metabolism in High-Fat Diet-Fed Streptozotocin-Induced Diabetic RatsAhmet Levent Baş
Pharmacology and Toxicology Department, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Selcuk University, 42070 Konya, Turkey
Int J Endocrinol 2012:947187. 2012..Type 2 diabetic Nerium-oleander- (NO-) administered groups received the NO distillate at a dose of 3.75, 37.5, and 375 μg/0...
- Pseudomonas savastanoi pv. savastanoi: some like it knotCayo Ramos
Area de Genetica, Instituto de Hortofruticultura Subtropical y Mediterránea La Mayora, Universidad de Málaga Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas, Malaga, Spain
Mol Plant Pathol 13:998-1009. 2012..Now, the time is right to explore the molecular basis of the P. savastanoi pv. savastanoi-olive interaction and to obtain insights into why some pathovars like it necrotic and why some like it knot...
- Ultrafast, large-field multiphoton microscopy based on an acousto-optic deflector and a spatial light modulatorYonghong Shao
College of Optoelectronics Engineering, Key Laboratory of Optoelectronic Devices and Systems of Ministry of Education and Guangdong Province, Shenzhen University, Shenzhen 518060, China
Opt Lett 37:2532-4. 2012..The two-photon fluorescence image of a neuronal network that was obtained using this system demonstrates that our microscopy permits observation of dynamic biological events in a large field with high-temporal and -spatial resolution...
- Nerium oleander indirect leaf photosynthesis and light harvesting reductions after clipping injury or Spodoptera eridania herbivory: high sensitivity to injuryKevin J Delaney
Department of Biology, Xavier University of Louisiana, New Orleans, LA 70125, United States
Plant Sci 185:218-26. 2012..intensity (% single leaf tissue removal) from clipping or Spodoptera eridania Stoll (Noctuidae) herbivory on Nerium oleander L. (Apocynaceae)...
- Complete atrioventricular block after self-ingestion of Nerium oleander for relief of hemorrhoidal complaintsZekeriya Kucukdurmaz
Department of Cardiology, Medicine Faculty of Cumhuriyet University, Sivas, Turkey
Turk Kardiyol Dern Ars 40:168-70. 2012b>Nerium oleander is a plant native only in the Mediterranean region, but it can also be cultivated worldwide, particularly in warm areas. Biologically active oleander compounds may be used for therapeutic purposes...
- Flavonoid and cardenolide glycosides and a pentacyclic triterpene from the leaves of Nerium oleander and evaluation of cytotoxicityBina Shaheen Siddiqui
HEJ Research Institute of Chemistry, International Center for Chemical and Biological Sciences, University of Karachi, Karachi 75270, Pakistan
Phytochemistry 77:238-44. 2012..and a cardenolide, oleandigoside, together with 11 known compounds, were isolated from the leaves of Nerium oleander. Their structures were elucidated on the basis of spectroscopic analysis...
- Comparison of the suitability of two lichen species and one higher plant for monitoring airborne heavy metalsGiuseppa Grazia Aprile
Dipartimento di Arboricoltura, Botanica, Patologia Vegetale Sez di Botanica, Federico II Facoltà di Agraria, Universita Degli Studi Di Napoli, Via Universita, 100 80055, Portici, Naples, Italy
Environ Monit Assess 162:291-9. 2010..airborne heavy metals of two lichens (Flavoparmelia caperata and Parmotrema chinense) and one higher plant (Nerium oleander) at a very densely populated urban site near Naples...
- Determinants of human and mouse melanoma cell sensitivities to oleandrinYun Lin
Postdoctoral Intramural Research Training Award Program, National Institute of Aging, National Institutes of Health, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
J Exp Ther Oncol 7:195-205. 2008Oleandrin, a cardiac glycoside component of Nerium oleander, has been shown to induce apoptosis in malignant cells. While human tumor cells are very sensitive to growth inhibition by oleandrin, murine tumor cells are extremely resistant...
- New oligosaccharides prepared by acid hydrolysis of the polysaccharides from Nerium indicum Mill and their anti-angiogenesis activitiesKe Hu
Institute of Chinese Materia Medica, Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Shanghai 201203, China
Carbohydr Res 344:198-203. 2009..therapeutics, three galactooligosaccharides (OJ1-OJ3) were prepared by acid hydrolysis of the polysaccharides from Nerium indicum Mill...
- Selectivity of compounds isolated from the leaves of Nerium indicum Mill. on various human cancer cell linesS H W Mae
Faculty of Medicine, Gadjah Mada University, Yogyakarta
Med J Malaysia 63:24-5. 2008The leaves of Nerium indicum Mill. have been utilized traditionally to cure cancer. By Bioassay (BST) guided isolation method, six compounds were isolated from the CHCl3 extract of the leaves. Selectivity of these compounds (in 0...
- Specific detection and identification of Xylella fastidiosa strains causing oleander leaf scorch using polymerase chain reactionQi Huang
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, US National Arboretum, Floral and Nursery Plants Research Unit, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
Curr Microbiol 58:393-8. 2009..fastidiosa, especially in locations where mixed natural infections by oleander and other strains of X. fastidiosa occur...
- Evaluation of indigenous plant extracts against larvae of Culex quinquefasciatus Say (Diptera: Culicidae)A Abdul Rahuman
Unit of Bioactive Natural Products, P G and Research Department of Zoology, C Abdul Hakeem College, Melvisharam, 632 509, Tamil Nadu, India
Parasitol Res 104:637-43. 2009..Sans, Cedrus deodara Roxb, Hibiscus rosa-sinensis L., Mangifera indica L., Nerium indicum Mill., Nicotiana tabacum Linn., Pongamia pinnata (L.) Pierre, and Solanum nigrum Linn...
- Seasonal flight activity of two Homalodisca species (Homoptera: Cicadellidae) that spread Xylella fastidiosa in southern CaliforniaM J Blua
Department of Entomology, University of California, Riverside 92521, USA
J Econ Entomol 94:1506-10. 2001..Likewise, H. lacerta in Riverside was more associated with citrus than oleander, yet H. lacerta in Palm Desert was trapped in greater numbers in oleander than citrus...
- Nematicidal cardenolides from Nerium indicum MillXing Biao Wang
Laboratory for Conservation and Utilization of Bio resource, and Key Laboratory for Microbial Resources of the Ministry of Education, Yunnan University, Kunming, P R China
Chem Biodivers 6:431-6. 2009Three nematicidal cardenolides were obtained from the AcOEt extract of Nerium indicum Mill. by bioassay-guided fractionation...
- A study on the activities of a few free radicals scavenging enzymes present in five roadside plantsM Mandal
Department of Botany, Ballygunge Science College, University of Calcutta, India
J Environ Biol 22:301-5. 2001..Resistance to automobile exhaust pollution was studied with Nerium indicum Mill, Boerhaavia diffusa L., Amaranthus spinosus L., Cephalandra indica Naud...
- Effect of molluscicidal components of Abrus precatorius, Argemone mexicana and Nerium indicum on certain biochemical parameters of Lymnaea acuminataS Singh
Department of Zoology, University of Gorakhpur, U P, India
Phytother Res 13:210-3. 1999..component of Abrus precatorius (abrin and glycyrrhizin), Argemone mexicana (protopine and sanguinarine) and Nerium indicum (oleandrin) caused a significant decrease in the levels of protein, free amino acid, DNA and RNA in the ..
- Oleander intoxication in New World camelids: 12 cases (1995-2006)Tania A Kozikowski
Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 235:305-10. 2009..To characterize the clinical and clinicopathologic effects and evaluate outcome associated with oleander toxicosis in New World camelids...
- Platinum and rhodium associated with the leaves of Nerium oleander L.; analytical method using voltammetry; assessment of air quality in the Palermo (Italy) areaSantino Orecchio
Department of Inorganic and Analytical Chemistry, University of Palermo, S Cannizzaro Viale delle Scienze, Parco d Orleans 2, 90128 Palermo, Italy
J Hazard Mater 174:720-7. 2010..voltammetry (DPV/a) and adsorptive stripping voltammetry (AdSV) were used for the determination of Pt and Rh in Nerium oleander leaves. Pt and Rh concentrations were found in the ranges 0.33-25 and 0.40-4.6 microg/kg d.w...
- The use of mid-trial reviews for design modifications in small scale clinical studiesM R Sooriyarachchi
Department of Statistics, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka
Contemp Clin Trials 31:579-86. 2010....
- In vitro and in vivo neuroprotective activity of the cardiac glycoside oleandrin from Nerium oleander in brain slice-based stroke modelsDenise E Dunn
Center for Drug Discovery and Department of Neurobiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27514, USA
J Neurochem 119:805-14. 2011The principal active constituent of the botanical drug candidate PBI-05204, a supercritical CO(2) extract of Nerium oleander, is the cardiac glycoside oleandrin...
- Acromyrmex octospinosus (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) management. Part 1: Effects of TRAMIL's insecticidal plant extractsIsabelle Boulogne
INRA, UR1321, ASTRO Agrosystèmes tropicaux, Petit Bourg, Guadeloupe
Pest Manag Sci 68:313-20. 2012..people in surveys were tested: (1) maceration of Mammea americana fresh crushed seeds; (2) decoction of Nerium oleander fresh leaves; (3) Nerium oleander dried leaf water juice; (4) decoction of Nicotiana tabacum dried leaves;..
- Hypolipidemic potential of flowers of Nerium oleander in high fat diet-fed Sprague Dawley ratsVeeraraghavan Gayathri
Herbal and Indian Medicine Research Laboratory, Department of Biochemistry, Sri Ramachandra University, Porur, Chennai 600116, India
Nat Prod Res 25:1110-4. 2011b>Nerium oleander Linn. (NO), an evergreen shrub, is used in folklore medicine as a cardiotonic and exhibits a wide spectrum of bioactivities...
- Toxicity of botanical insecticides on golden apple snail (Pomacea canaliculata)W Ruamthum
Department of Zoology, Faculty of Science, Kasetsart University, 50 Phahon Yothin Road, Chatuchak, Bangkok 10900, Thailand
Commun Agric Appl Biol Sci 75:191-7. 2010The molluscicidal activity of crude extracts from five highly potential plants, Annona squamosa seed, Nerium indicum Leaves, Stemona tuberose root, Cyperus rotundus corm and Derris elliptica root was assessed to Pomacea canaliculata. D...
- Evidence for an invasive aphid "superclone": extremely low genetic diversity in Oleander aphid (Aphis nerii) populations in the southern United StatesJohn Scott Harrison
Department of Biology, Georgia Southern University, Statesboro, Georgia, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e17524. 2011..Feeding primarily on Oleander (Nerium oleander) and Milkweed (Asclepias spp...
- Electrocardiographic changes during inhalational oleander toxicitySubramanian Senthilkumaran
Sri Gokulam Hospitals and Research Institute, Salem, India
J Electrocardiol 44:470-2. 2011..Because oleander plant materials are used for burning, people are exposed to inhalational oleander toxicity. Hence, practitioners shall consider such poisonings in them...
- Alterations in blood electrolytes of a freshwater catfish Heteropneustes fossilis in response to treatment with a botanical pesticide, Nerium indicum leaf extractManiram Prasad
Department of Zoology, D D U Gorakhpur University, Gorakhpur 273009, India
Fish Physiol Biochem 37:505-10. 2011The present study aimed at investigating the effects of Nerium indicum leaf extract on the blood electrolytes of Heteropneustes fossilis for short- and long term. Fish were subjected to Nerium indicum leaf extract for short term (11...
- Control of transpiration by radiationRoland Pieruschka
Forschungszentrum Julich GmbH, Institut für Chemie und Dynamik der Geosphäre, 52425 Julich, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:13372-7. 2010..This hypothesis provides a plausible explanation for the regulation of leaf and canopy transpiration by the radiation load and provides a unique framework for studies of the regulation of stomatal conductance by CO(2) and other factors...
- Structural characterization of a pectic polysaccharide from Nerium indicum flowersQun Dong
Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Science, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 555 Zu Chong Zhi Road, 201203 Shanghai, China
Phytochemistry 71:1430-7. 2010A polysaccharide fraction, J6, was isolated from the hot-water extract of flowers of oleander Nerium indicum Mill...
- Cardenolides from the methanolic extract of Nerium oleander leaves possessing central nervous system depressant activity in miceB S Siddiqui
H E J Research Institute of Chemistry, University of Karachi, Pakistan
J Nat Prod 60:540-4. 1997..and 3 beta-O-(D-digitalosyl)-14 beta-hydroxy-5 beta-card-20(22)-enolide (4), have been isolated from the leaves of Nerium oleander following a bioactivity-directed isolation of the MeOH extract, which showed central nervous system (CNS) ..
- Whole-genome comparative analysis of three phytopathogenic Xylella fastidiosa strainsAnamitra Bhattacharyya
Integrated Genomics, Inc, 2201 West Campbell Park Drive, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:12403-8. 2002..This study demonstrates the effectiveness of comparative analysis strategies in the interpretation of genomes that are closely related...
- A non-fatal oleander poisoningJ Pietsch
Institute of Legal Medicine, Medical Faculty Carl Gustav Carus, Dresden Technical University, Fetscherstr 74, 01307, Dresden, Germany
Int J Legal Med 119:236-40. 2005..by electrochemiluminescent immunoassay, and using HPLC/MS/MS analysis for oleandrin, the main cardiac glycoside of Nerium oleander...
- Heavy metals content in N. oleander leaves as urban pollution assessmentM D Mingorance
Department of Earth Science and Environmental Chemistry, Estación Experimental del Zaidín CSIC, Prof Albareda 1, 18008 Granada, Spain
Environ Monit Assess 119:57-68. 2006b>Nerium oleander L. (Oleander) leaves grown in Palermo city (Sicily, Italy) were collected from six sampling sites representing either areas of high traffic and urbanisation density or areas far away from traffic (e.g. city gardens)...
- Phase 1 trial of Anvirzel in patients with refractory solid tumorsTarek Mekhail
Taussig Cancer Center, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, 9500 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Invest New Drugs 24:423-7. 2006Anvirzel is an aqueous extract of the plant Nerium oleander which has been utilized to treat patients with advanced malignancies...
- Rapid detection of oleander poisoning using digoxin immunoassays: comparison of five assaysAmitava Dasgupta
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Texas Houston Medical School, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Ther Drug Monit 26:658-63. 2004..In contrast, the CLIA (no cross-reactivity) should be used for monitoring digoxin in a patient receiving digoxin and self-medicated with a herbal remedy containing oleander...
- Fab antibody fragments: some applications in clinical toxicologyRobert J Flanagan
Medical Toxicology Unit, Guy s and St Thomas NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK
Drug Saf 27:1115-33. 2004..with digoxin, digitoxin, and a range of other structurally related compounds, including cardiotoxins from Nerium and Thevetia sp. (oleander) and Bufo sp. (toads). However, their main use remains treating digoxin poisoning...
- Physical vulnerability and fatal self-harm in the elderlyMichael Eddleston
South Asian Clinical Toxicology Research Collaboration, Centre for Tropical Medicine, Nuffield Department of Clinical Medicine, University of Oxford, UK
Br J Psychiatry 189:278-9. 2006..The high number of suicides in elderly people globally is likely to be due, in part, to the difficulty they face in surviving the effects of both the poisoning and its treatment...
- Liquid chromatography combined with thermospray and continuous-flow fast atom bombardment mass spectrometry of glycosides in crude plant extractsJ L Wolfender
Institut de Pharmacognosie et Phytochimie, Ecole de Pharmacie, , Switzerland
J Chromatogr A 712:155-68. 1995..Cardenolides from Nerium odorum (Apocynaceae) and saponins from Swarzia madagascariensis (Leguminosae), Aster scaber and Aster tataricus (..
- Plant exposures: wilderness medicineSophia Dyer
Department of Emergency Medicine, Boston Medical Center, One Boston Medical Center Place, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Emerg Med Clin North Am 22:299-313, vii. 2004..This article discusses poisonous plants, the symptoms that might arise if they are ingested, and the treatments that should be administered to patients...
- Are saturating pulses indeed saturating? Evidence for considerable PSII yield underestimation in leaves adapted to high levels of natural lightPanagiota Karageorgou
Laboratory of Plant Physiology, Department of Biology, University of Patras, GR 26500 Patras, Greece
J Plant Physiol 164:1331-6. 2007..The possible reasons for the apparent inability of "saturating" pulses to close all PSII centers at high actinic light and the practical implications, especially in field work, are discussed...
- Chemical constituents and energy content of some latex bearing plantsD Kalita
Regional Research Laboratory, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, Jorhat 785 006, India
Bioresour Technol 92:219-27. 2004The latex bearing plants Plumeria alba, Calotropis procera, Euphorbia nerrifolia, Nerium indicum and Mimusops elengi were evaluated as potential renewable sources of energy and chemicals...
- The new enzyme-linked immunosorbent digoxin assay on the ADVIA Integrated Modular System is virtually free from oleander interferenceAmitava Dasgupta
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Texas Houston Medical School, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Ther Drug Monit 28:282-5. 2006..However, we observed no statistically significant change in digoxin concentration when ECLIA digoxin assay was used, indicating that this assay is virtually free from oleander interference...
- Assessment of airborne heavy metal pollution by aboveground plant partsS Rossini Oliva
Department of Plant Biology and Ecology, University of Seville, Adva Reina Mercedes s n, Apto de Correo 1095, E 41080 Seville, Spain
Chemosphere 65:177-82. 2006Italian stone pine (Pinus pinea L.) and oleander (Nerium oleander L...
- Determination of oleandrin in tissues and biological fluids by liquid chromatography-electrospray tandem mass spectrometryElizabeth R Tor
California Animal Health and Food Safety Laboratory System, Toxicology Laboratory, University of California, Davis, California 95616, USA
J Agric Food Chem 53:4322-5. 2005..Oleandrin, the major cardiac glycoside of oleander (Nerium oleander L...
- [Nerium oleander self poisoning treated with digoxin-specific antibodies]B Bourgeois
Samu de Grenoble, CHU de Grenoble, BP 207, 38043 Grenoble, France
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 24:640-2. 2005..44-year-old man was rescued by the French medicalised ambulance service four hours after the ingestion of Nerium oleander leaves in a suicide attempt...
- Multilocus simple sequence repeat markers for differentiating strains and evaluating genetic diversity of Xylella fastidiosaHong Lin
Crop Diseases, Pests and Genetics, U S Department of Agriculture ARS, 9611 S Riverbend Avenue, Parlier, CA 93648, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 71:4888-92. 2005..fastidiosa strains collected from grape, almond, citrus, and oleander. They are well suited for differentiating strains and studying X. fastidiosa epidemiology and population genetics...
- The composition and relationships between trace element levels in inhalable atmospheric particles (PM10) and in leaves of Nerium oleander L. and Lantana camara LA J Fernández Espinosa
Department of Analytical Chemistry, University of Seville, C Profesor Garcia Gonzalez s n, E 41012 Seville, Spain
Chemosphere 62:1665-72. 2006..PM10 and in leaves of two plant species, the amount of Ba, Cu, Fe, Mn, Pb, Ti and V were analysed in PM10 and in Nerium oleander L. and Lantana camara L. leaves from two sites in the city of Seville and one remote control site...
- [We don't beat around the bush anymore]]F Badet
Service médical des urgences, Centre Hospitalier Lyon Sud, Pierre Benite, France
Rev Med Interne 26:S197-9. 2005
- Protein, leucine aminopeptidase, esterase, acid phosphatase and photosynthetic responses of oleander (Nerium oleander L.) during cold acclimation and freezing treatmentsThomas Syros
Department of Biochemistry, School of Chemistry, Aristotle University, Thessaloniki 541 24, Greece
J Plant Physiol 162:886-94. 2005Six-month-old oleander (Nerium oleander L.) pot plants, derived from vegetative propagation by cuttings, were tested for their ability to cold hardening...
- Three new triterpenes from Nerium oleander and biological activity of the isolated compoundsLiwei Fu
Graduate School of Science and Technology, Department of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Niigata University, 2 8050 Ikarashi, Niigata 950 2181, Japan
J Nat Prod 68:198-206. 2005..triterpene 1, oleanane-type triterpene 2, and dammarane-type triterpene 15 were isolated from the leaves of Nerium oleander together with 12 known triterpenes, 3beta-hydroxy-12-ursen-28-oic acid (ursolic acid, 3), 3beta,27-..
- [Accidental poisoning by the pink bay-tree]D Collin-Chavagnac
Ann Biol Clin (Paris) 63:673. 2005
- Oleandrin: A Novel Skin Cancer Chemopreventive AgentHasan Mukhtar; Fiscal Year: 2003..preliminary data and published studies there is a strong possibility that oleandrin, derived from the leaves of Nerium oleander may be developed as a novel chemopreventive agent...
- Relevance of fish oil derived PGE3 to lung cancerRobert Newman; Fiscal Year: 2004..To evaluate the relative efficacy of EPA, DHA and fish oil (containing both fatty acids) in prevention of tumor growth and its correlation to alteration of eicosanoid metabolism in a mouse model of human lung cancer. ..