Summary: A plant genus, in the family AMARANTHACEAE, best known as a source of high-protein grain crops and of Red Dye No. 2 (AMARANTH DYE). Tumbleweed sometimes refers to Amaranthus but more often refers to SALSOLA.
Publications214 found, 100 shown here
- Oil and squalene in amaranthus grain and leafHan Ping He
Department of Botany, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong, People s Republic of China
J Agric Food Chem 51:7913-20. 2003b>Amaranthus grain of 104 genotypes from 30 species was investigated for oil and squalene contents and fatty acid profiles. The overall average oil content in Amaranthus grain was 5.0%, ranging from 1.9 to 8.7%...
- Antioxidant activity of ethanolic extracts of amaranth seedsI Klimczak
University of Economics, Faculty of Commodity Sciences, Al Niepodleglosci 10, PL 60 967 Poznan, Poland
Nahrung 46:184-6. 2002..17 mg/100 g of Amaranthus caudatus to 56.22 mg/100 g of A. paniculatus seeds...
- Radioprotective role of Amaranthus gangeticus Linn.: a biochemical study on mouse brainRajesh Kumar Verma
Radiation Biology Laboratory, Department of Zoology, University of Rajasthan, Jaipur 302004, India
J Med Food 5:189-95. 2002..b>Amaranthus gangeticus Linn...
- Potential anticancer effect of red spinach (Amaranthus gangeticus) extractHuzaimah Abdullah Sani
Department of Nutrition and Health Sciences, Universiti Putra, Malaysia 43400, Serdang, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 13:396-400. 2004The objective of this study was to determine the anti cancer effects of red spinach (Amaranthus gangeticus Linn) in vitro and in vivo...
- In Vitro antioxidant effect and inhibition of alpha-amylase of two varieties of Amaranthus caudatus seedsFilomena Conforti
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Calabria, Rende, Italy
Biol Pharm Bull 28:1098-102. 2005This study reports on the biological properties, antioxidant and antidiabetic, of two varieties of Amaranthus caudatus seeds, Oscar blanco and Victor red. Oil, squalene and phenolic contents were also determined...
- Transcriptomic analysis of grain amaranth (Amaranthus hypochondriacus) using 454 pyrosequencing: comparison with A. tuberculatus, expression profiling in stems and in response to biotic and abiotic stressJohn P Délano-Frier
Unidad de Biotecnología e Ingeniería Genética de Plantas, Cinvestav Unidad Irapuato Km 9 6 del Libramiento Norte Carretera Irapuato León, Apartado Postal 629, C P 36821, Irapuato, Gto, Mexico
BMC Genomics 12:363. 2011b>Amaranthus hypochondriacus, a grain amaranth, is a C4 plant noted by its ability to tolerate stressful conditions and produce highly nutritious seeds...
- Mechanism of resistance of evolved glyphosate-resistant Palmer amaranth (Amaranthus palmeri)Todd A Gaines
Department of Bioagricultural Sciences and Pest Management, Colorado State University, 1177 Campus Delivery, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523, USA
J Agric Food Chem 59:5886-9. 2011..Questions remain related to how the EPSPS amplification initially occurred and the occurrence of this mechanism in other Palmer amaranth populations and other glyphosate-resistant species...
- Characterization of de novo transcriptome for waterhemp (Amaranthus tuberculatus) using GS-FLX 454 pyrosequencing and its application for studies of herbicide target-site genesChance W Riggins
Department of Crop Sciences, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL, USA
Pest Manag Sci 66:1042-52. 2010..To develop further the genomics resources for waterhemp, the transcriptome was sequenced using Roche GS-FLX 454 pyrosequencing technology...
- Gene amplification confers glyphosate resistance in Amaranthus palmeriTodd A Gaines
Department of Bioagricultural Sciences and Pest Management, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:1029-34. 2010..We investigated recently discovered glyphosate-resistant Amaranthus palmeri populations from Georgia, in comparison with normally sensitive populations...
- Hepatoprotective activity of Amaranthus spinosus in experimental animalsHussain Zeashan
Pharmacognosy and Ethnopharmacology Division, National Botanical Research Institute Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, Rana Pratap Marg, Post Box No 436, Lucknow 226 001, Uttar Pradesh, India
Food Chem Toxicol 46:3417-21. 2008The hepatoprotective and antioxidant activity of 50% ethanolic extract of whole plant of Amaranthus spinosus (ASE) was evaluated against carbon tetrachloride (CCl4) induced hepatic damage in rats...
- The effect of exogenous jasmonic acid on induced resistance and productivity in amaranth (Amaranthus hypochondriacus) is influenced by environmental conditionsJohn P Délano-Frier
Centro de Investigación y de Estudios Avanzados del I P N Unidad Irapuato, Km 9 6 del Libramiento Norte Carretera Irapuato León, Apartado Postal 629, C P 36500, Irapuato, Gto, Mexico
J Chem Ecol 30:1001-34. 2004b>Amaranthus hypochondriacus is a C4 pseudocereal crop capable of producing reasonable grain yields in adverse environmental conditions that limit cereal performance...
- Herbicide resistances in Amaranthus tuberculatus: a call for new optionsPatrick J Tranel
Department of Crop Sciences, University of Illinois, 1201 West Gregory Drive, Urbana, Illinois 61801, USA
J Agric Food Chem 59:5808-12. 2011b>Amaranthus tuberculatus is a major weed of crop fields in the midwestern United States. Making this weed particularly problematic to manage is its demonstrated ability to evolve resistance to herbicides. Herbicides to which A...
- In vivo antimalarial activities of extracts from Amaranthus spinosus L. and Boerhaavia erecta L. in miceA Hilou
Laboratoire de Biochimie et de Chimie Appliquée LABIOCA, UFR SVT, Universite de Ouagadougou, 03 BP 7021 Ouaga 03, Burkina Faso
J Ethnopharmacol 103:236-40. 2006Extracts obtained from two Burkinabe folk medicine plants, spiny amaranth (Amaranthus spinosus L., Amaranthaceae) and erect spiderling (Boerhaavia erecta L...
- Cardioprotective activity of Amaranthus viridis Linn: effect on serum marker enzymes, cardiac troponin and antioxidant system in experimental myocardial infarcted ratsG Saravanan
Department of Biochemistry, Centre for Biological Science, K S R College of Arts and Science, Thokkavadi, Tiruchengode, Tamil Nadu, 637215, India
Int J Cardiol 165:494-8. 2013..The current study dealt with the protective role of Amaranthus viridis Linn on isoproterenol (ISO)-induced myocardial infarction (MI) in rats.
- Metabolic and enzymatic changes associated with carbon mobilization, utilization and replenishment triggered in grain amaranth (Amaranthus cruentus) in response to partial defoliation by mechanical injury or insect herbivoryPaula Andrea Castrillón-Arbeláez
Unidad de Biotecnología e Ingeniería Genética de Plantas Cinvestav Irapuato, Km 9, 6 del Libramiento Norte Carretera Irapuato León, Apartado Postal 629, C, P, 36821, Irapuato, Gto, Mexico
BMC Plant Biol 12:163. 2012b>Amaranthus cruentus and A. hypochondriacus are crop plants grown for grain production in subtropical countries...
- Oat (Avena sativa L.) and amaranth (Amaranthus hypochondriacus) meals positively affect plasma lipid profile in rats fed cholesterol-containing dietsJan Czerwinski
Department of Physiology Science, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Warsaw Agricultural University, Nowoursynowska 159, 02 787 Warsaw, Poland
J Nutr Biochem 15:622-9. 2004..It is suggested that amaranth could be a valuable substitute for hypercholesterolemic patients allergic to cereals...
- Specificity of Amaranthus leucocarpus syn. hypocondriacus lectin for O-glycopeptidesPedro Hernandez
Departamento de Bioquimica, Instituto Nacional de Enfermedades Respiratorias, Tlalpan, DF, 14080, Mexico
Biochim Biophys Acta 1674:282-90. 2004b>Amaranthus leucocarpus syn. hypochondriacus lectin (ALL) has been shown to be specific for N-acetyl-D-galactosamine (GalNAc). In this work, we determined a value of 1...
- Variation of polyphenols and betaines in aerial parts of young, field-grown Amaranthus genotypesStine Krogh Steffensen
Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, University of Copenhagen, Universitetsparken 5, DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
J Agric Food Chem 59:12073-82. 2011b>Amaranthus hybridus and Amaranthus mantegazzianus are commonly cultivated and the entire young fresh plants consumed as vegetables in regions of Africa and Asia. A. hybridus and A...
- Antioxidant properties of Amaranthus hypochondriacus seeds and their effect on the liver of alcohol-treated ratsViviana Romina Lucero López
Department of Biochemistry and Biology Sciences, Faculty of Chemistry, Biochemistry and Pharmacy, National University of San Luis, IMIBIO SL, CONICET, Chacabuco and Pedernera, San Luis, 5700, Argentina
Plant Foods Hum Nutr 66:157-62. 2011..This work evaluated the effect of a diet based on Amaranthus hypochondriacus (Ah) seed on oxidative stress and antioxidant status in the liver of rats sub-chronically ..
- Rapid activation of specific phospholipase(s) D by cytokinin in Amaranthus assay systemVolodymir S Kravets
The Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry and Petrochemistry, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Murmanska 1, Kiev 02094, Ukraine
Physiol Plant 138:249-55. 2010..The activity of PLD in the early period of cytokinin action was studied in vivo in derooted Amaranthus caudatus seedlings, using the level of phosphatidylbutanol production as a measure of PLD activity...
- Gastric antisecretory and cytoprotective effects of leaf extracts of Amaranthus tricolor Linn. in ratsVenkatapura C Devaraj
Department of Pharmacology, Bioneeds Laboratory Animals and Preclinical Services, Bangalore, India
Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Xue Bao 9:1031-8. 2011The present study was aimed to evaluate the antiulcer activity of leaf extracts of Amaranthus tricolor Linn. (Amaranthaceae) in rats.
- Supercritical carbon dioxide extraction of oil and squalene from amaranthus grainHan Ping He
Department of Botany, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong, People s Republic of China
J Agric Food Chem 51:7921-5. 2003Supercritical carbon dioxide (SC CO(2)) was used for the extraction of oil and squalene from Amaranthus grain...
- Radiomodulatory influence of Rajgira (Amaranthus paniculatus) leaf extract in Swiss albino miceJ Maharwal
Radiation and Cancer Biology Laboratory, Department of Zoology, University of Rajasthan, India
Phytother Res 17:1150-4. 2003..The results from the present study suggest that Rajgira pretreatment provide protection against gamma irradiation in mice...
- Hexavalent chromium uptake and its effects on mineral uptake, antioxidant defence system and photosynthesis in Amaranthus viridis LDonghua Liu
Department of Biology, College of Chemistry and Life Sciences, Tianjin Normal University, Tianjin 300387, PR China
Bioresour Technol 99:2628-36. 2008..photosynthetic function, and chlorophyll fluorescence characteristics were investigated in hydroponically grown Amaranthus viridis L. Results indicated that chromium was accumulated primarily in roots...
- An antimicrobial peptide Ar-AMP from amaranth (Amaranthus retroflexus L.) seedsAleksey Lipkin
Shemyakin and Ovchinnikov Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow
Phytochemistry 66:2426-31. 2005A 30-residue antimicrobial peptide Ar-AMP was isolated from the seeds of amaranth Amaranthus retroflexus L. essentially by a single step procedure using reversed-phase HPLC, and its in vitro biological activities were studied...
- Hepatoprotective and antioxidant activity of Amaranthus spinosus against CCl4 induced toxicityHussain Zeashan
Pharmacognosy and Ethnopharmacology Division, National Botanical Research Institute, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh 226001, India
J Ethnopharmacol 125:364-6. 200950% ethanolic extract (ASE) of Amaranthus spinosus (whole plant) was evaluated for in vitro antioxidant and hepatoprotective activity.
- Processing stability of squalene in amaranth and antioxidant potential of amaranth extractRohan V Tikekar
Department of Food Science, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey 08901, USA
J Agric Food Chem 56:10675-8. 2008....
- Anti-diabetic, anti-hyperlipidemic and spermatogenic effects of Amaranthus spinosus Linn. on streptozotocin-induced diabetic ratsB Sangameswaran
Vinayaka Mission s College of Pharmacy, Vinayaka Missions University, Kondappanaickan patty, Salem, 636 008, Tamil Nadu, India
J Nat Med 62:79-82. 2008Anti-diabetic, anti-hyperlipidemic and spermatogenic effects were studies with methanolic extract of stem of Amaranthus spinosus Linn (Family: Amaranthaceae) in diabetic rats...
- Dramatic difference in the responses of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase to temperature in leaves of C3 and C4 plantsBhaskarrao Chinthapalli
Department of Plant Sciences, School of Life Sciences, University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad 500 046, India
J Exp Bot 54:707-14. 2003Temperature caused phenomenal modulation of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase (PEPC, EC 126.96.36.199) in leaf discs of Amaranthus hypochondriacus (NAD-ME type C(4) species), compared to the pattern in Pisum sativum (a C(3) plant)...
- Cloning of a cDNA encoding a cystatin from grain amaranth (Amaranthus hypochondriacus) showing a tissue-specific expression that is modified by germination and abiotic stressSilvia Valdes-Rodriguez
Departamento de Biotecnologia y Bioquimica, CINVESTAV, Km 9 6, Libramiento Norte, 36500, A P 629 Irapuato, Gto Mexico, Mexico
Plant Physiol Biochem 45:790-8. 2007..a cysteine protease inhibitor (AhCPI), was isolated from an immature seed cDNA library of grain amaranth (Amaranthus hypochondriacus L.) and characterized...
- Betacyanins and phenolic compounds from Amaranthus spinosus L. and Boerhavia erecta LFlorian C Stintzing
Institute of Food Technology, Section Plant Foodstuff Technology, Hohenheim University, Garbenstrasse 25, 70599 Stuttgart, Germany
Z Naturforsch C 59:1-8. 2004Stem bark extracts of Boerhavia erecta L. (erect spiderling) and Amaranthus spinosus L...
- Mutual stimulation of temperature and light effects on C(4) phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase in leaf discs and leaves of Amaranthus hypochondriacusUday K Avasthi
Department of Plant Sciences, University of Hyderabad, India
J Plant Physiol 165:1023-32. 2008..properties of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase (PEPC) by temperature and light in leaf discs as well as leaves of Amaranthus hypochondriacus. The activity of PEPC increased by 1.7-fold at 45 degrees C over 25 degrees C...
- Relationships between quantum yield for CO2 assimilation, activity of key enzymes and CO2 leakiness in Amaranthus cruentus, a C4 dicot, grown in high or low lightYoushi Tazoe
Department of Biological Sciences, Graduate School of Science, The University of Tokyo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, 113 0033 Japan
Plant Cell Physiol 49:19-29. 2008..dikinase (PPDK), the phosphorylation state of PEPC and the CO(2) assimilation rate using leaves of Amaranthus cruentus (NAD-malic enzyme subtype, dicot) plants grown in high light (HL) and low light (LL)...
- Improvement of lipid profile by amaranth (Amaranthus esculantus) supplementation in streptozotocin-induced diabetic ratsHye Kyung Kim
Department of Food and Biotechnology, Hanseo University, Seosan, Korea
Ann Nutr Metab 50:277-81. 2006..Amaranth has been reported to exhibit a cholesterol-lowering effect in hyperlipidemic animals. The present study was designed to investigate the effect of amaranth on serum glucose and the lipid profile in diabetic rats...
- Cholesterol-lowering properties of amaranth grain and oil in hamstersAlvin Berger
Cytochroma Inc, 330 Cochraine Drive, Markham, ON L3R 8E4, Canada
Int J Vitam Nutr Res 73:39-47. 2003..In the present study, hamsters received hypercholesterolemic diets consisting of a control, 10 or 20% Amaranthus cruentus grain, or 2.5 or 5% crude amaranth oil for four weeks...
- Evaluation of radioprotective effects of Rajgira (Amaranthus paniculatus) extract in Swiss albino miceAnita Krishna
Radiation and Cancer Biology Laboratory, Department of Zoology, University of Rajasthan, Jaipur, India
J Radiat Res 46:233-9. 2005The radioprotective efficacy of aqueous extract of Rajgira (Amaranthus paniculatus) leaves against whole body gamma radiation was studied in Swiss albino mice...
- Molecular basis for multiple resistance to acetolactate synthase-inhibiting herbicides and atrazine in Amaranthus blitoides (prostrate pigweed)Moshe Sibony
Institute of Plant Science and Genetics, Faculty of Agricultural, Food and Environmental Sciences, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 76100 Rehovot, Israel
Planta 216:1022-7. 2003b>Amaranthus blitoides S. Watson (prostrate pigweed) populations resistant to acetolactate synthase (ALS; EC 188.8.131.52)-inhibiting herbicides and triazines (SuR/TR) were found in Israel...
- Use of amaranthus leucocarpus lectin to differentiate cervical dysplasia (CIN)Arturo Santaella-Verdejo
Centro de Investigaciones en Ciencias Medicas y Biológicas, Facultad de Medicina UABJO, Universidad Autonoma Benito Juarez de Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Prep Biochem Biotechnol 37:219-28. 2007..Dolichos Biflorus lectin recognized CIN I dysplasia. Lectin from Amaranthus leucocarpus showed increased reactivity in the presence of CIN II dysplasia, compared with CIN I and CIN III...
- A novel antiproliferative and antifungal lectin from Amaranthus viridis Linn seedsNavjot Kaur
Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar 143 005, India
Protein Pept Lett 13:897-905. 2006A lectin from the seeds of Amaranthus viridis Linn has been purified by affinity chromatography on asialofetuin-linked amino activated silica. Amaranthus viridis lectin (AVL) has a native molecular mass of 67 kDa...
- A mutation in the herbicide target site acetohydroxyacid synthase produces morphological and structural alterations and reduces fitness in Amaranthus powelliiFrançois J Tardif
Department of Plant Agriculture, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, N1G 2W1, Canada
New Phytol 169:251-64. 2006We investigated the effect of a herbicide resistance-conferring mutation on fitness in Amaranthus powellii. Morphological and histological observations were made...
- Bioactive peptides in amaranth (Amaranthus hypochondriacus) seedC Silva-Sánchez
Molecular Biology Division, Instituto Potosino de Investigacion Cientifica y Tecnologica, San Luis Potosi, S L P, Mexico
J Agric Food Chem 56:1233-40. 2008..This is the first study that reports the presence of a lunasin-like peptide and other potentially bioactive peptides in amaranth protein fractions...
- [The effect of diet with the sour-milk product enriched with amaranth on parameters of antioxigen protection at patients with a cardiovascular pathology]Z S Zoblkova
Vopr Pitan 73:21-3. 2004..As a result of a diet were positive dynamic of clinic manifestation, lipid spectrum of blood, coagulogramms and antioxigen status...
- Prevalence of airborne allergenic Amaranthus viridis pollen in seven different regions of Saudi ArabiaSyed M Hasnain
Department of Biological and Medical Research MBC O3 King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Ann Saudi Med 27:259-63. 2007b>Amaranthus pollen grains are known to be highly allergenic and a potential cause of respiratory allergic diseases...
- Antinociceptive activity of Amaranthus spinosus in experimental animalsHussain Zeashan
Pharmacognosy and Ethnopharmacology Division, National Botanical Research Institute Rana Pratap Marg, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India
J Ethnopharmacol 122:492-6. 200950% ethanol extract (ASE) of Amaranthus spinosus (whole plant) has been evaluated for antinociceptive and antiinflammatory activities.
- Extraction and purification of squalene from amaranthus grainHan Ping He
Department of Botany and Department of Zoology, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong
J Agric Food Chem 50:368-72. 2002..Although the oil contents of grain amaranth were low (from 5.1% in Amaranthus tricolor to 7...
- Rapid identification of betacyanins from Amaranthus tricolor, Gomphrena globosa, and Hylocereus polyrhizus by matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization quadrupole ion trap time-of-flight mass spectrometry (MALDI-QIT-TOF MS)Yi Zhong Cai
Department of Botany, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong
J Agric Food Chem 54:6520-6. 2006..MALDI-QIT-TOF MS to rapidly identify, within a few minutes, a great number of betacyanins in crude extracts from Amaranthus tricolor seedlings, Gomphrena globosa flowers, and Hylocereus polyrhizus fruits...
- Expression and characterization of the acidic subunit from 11S Amaranth seed proteinSilvia Luna-Suárez
Departamento de Biotecnologia y Bioquimica, Centro de Investigación y de Estudios Avanzados de IPN, Unidad Irapuato, Irapuato, Guanajuato, Mexico
Biotechnol J 3:209-19. 2008..The expression of the amarantin acidic subunit, together with the one-step purification will facilitate further investigation of this storage protein through site-directed mutagenesis...
- Premature termination of RNA polymerase II mediated transcription of a seed protein gene in Schizosaccharomyces pombeSubhra Chakraborty
National Center for Plant Genome Research, Jawaharlal Nehru University Campus, New Delhi 110067, India
Nucleic Acids Res 30:2940-9. 2002..pombe and in native cells of Amaranthus hypochondriacus...
- Isolation and biochemical characterization of an antifungal peptide from Amaranthus hypochondriacus seedsLina A Rivillas-Acevedo
Departamento de Bioquimica, Instituto de Quimica, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Circuito Exterior, Ciudad Universitaria, Delegación Coyoacán C P 04510, Mexico D F, Mexico
J Agric Food Chem 55:10156-61. 2007An antifungal peptide, Ay-AMP, was isolated from Amaranthus hypochondriacus seeds by acidic extraction and then purified by reverse-phase high-pressure liquid chromatography...
- Expression and characterization of a His-tagged 11S seed globulin from Amaranthus hypochondriacus in Escherichia coliSergio Medina-Godoy
Departamento de Biotecnologia y Bioquimica, Centro de Investigacion y de Estudios Avanzados del IPN, Unidad Irapuato, Apartado Postal 629, Irapuato, Gto 36500, Mexico
Biotechnol Prog 20:1749-56. 2004DNA encoding a His-tagged 11S globulin from Amaranthus hypochondriacus (amarantin) was successfully expressed in Escherichia coli strains BL21 (DE3) and Origami (DE3). The two strains produced different accumulation patterns...
- Influence of a protein concentrate from Amaranthus cruentus seeds on lipid metabolismN L Escudero
Department of Biochemistry and Biological Sciences, National University of San Luis, Chacabuco and Pedernera, 5700 San Luis, Argentina
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 231:50-9. 2006..In this paper we studied the effect of a protein concentrate from Amaranthus cruentus (Ac) on the lipid content in serum and liver tissue of male Wistar rats...
- Inhibitory effect of ragweed (Ambrosia artemisiifolia L)-inflorescence extract on the germination of Amaranthus hypochondriacus L and growth of two soil algaeDénes J Brückner
Department of Botany, Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, University of West Hungary, H 9200 Mosonmagyaróvár, Vár 2, Hungary
Chemosphere 51:515-9. 2003..water extract by low vacuum column chromatography and their biological activity was investigated by Amaranthus hypochondriacus L. cv. Edit (Amaranthaceae) germination bioassay...
- [Activity of oil isolated from Amaranth seeds on energetic functions of rat liver mitochondria after adrenaline introduction]T V Sirota
Ukr Biokhim Zh 79:196-203. 2007It has been shown that a three-week feeding of rats with oil derived from seeds of amaranth (Amaranthus cruentus L...
- Comparison of the chemical composition and nutritional value of Amaranthus cruentus flour and its protein concentrateN L Escudero
Facultad de Quimica, Bioquímica y Farmacia Universidad Nacional de San Luis, Chacabuco y Pedernera, 5700 San Luis, Argentina
Plant Foods Hum Nutr 59:15-21. 2004..Within the framework of a wider research project on the role of Amaranthus cruentus (Ac) in lipid metabolism, in this work the chemical composition and biological value of the Ac flour ..
- Resistance to herbicide and susceptibility to herbivores: environmental variation in the magnitude of an ecological trade-offAaron J Gassmann
Department of Ecology and Evolution, SUNY Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY 11794 5245, USA
Oecologia 145:575-85. 2005..I considered whether resistance to the herbicide triazine in Amaranthus hybridus (Amaranthaceae) imposed the trade-off of increasing susceptibility to herbivorous insects...
- Structural analysis of free and enzyme-bound amaranth alpha-amylase inhibitor: classification within the knottin fold superfamily and analysis of its functional flexibilityO Carugo
International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, Padriciano 99, Trieste Department of General Chemistry, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Protein Eng 14:639-46. 2001..As these proteins fulfil a variety of functional roles and are expressed in very different organisms, we conclude that the structure of the knottin fold, including the propensity of the cis bond, are the result of convergent evolution...
- Untranslated regions from C4 amaranth AhRbcS1 mRNAs confer translational enhancement and preferential bundle sheath cell expression in transgenic C4 Flaveria bidentisMinesh Patel
Department of Biological Sciences, The State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, New York 14120, USA
Plant Physiol 136:3550-61. 2004....
- Inter-relationship between electrophoretic characteristics of pseudocereal and cereal proteins and their microscopic structure for possible substitution based on nutritional evaluationShela Gorinstein
Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Natural Products, School of Pharmacy, The Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School, P O B 12065, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
Int J Food Sci Nutr 54:427-35. 2003..Pseudocereal amaranth can be used as a nutritive substitute of cereal maize in functional foods...
- Amaranth globulin polypeptide heterogeneityAlejandra V Quiroga
Centro de Investigación y Desarrollo en Criotecnología de Alimentos, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata y Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Científicas y Técnicas, Calle 47 y 116, 1900, La Plata, Argentina
Protein J 26:327-33. 2007..Structural differences arising from this behavior could account for the different physicochemical properties of globulin molecules...
- Rapid techniques for the extraction of vitamin E isomers from Amaranthus caudatus seeds: ultrasonic and supercritical fluid extractionRenato Bruni
Department of Chemistry, University of Ferrara, Via Luigi Borsari 42, 1 44100 Ferrara, Italy
Phytochem Anal 13:257-61. 2002Supercritical fluid extraction (SFE) of seeds of Amaranthus caudatus (Amaranthaceae) and the use of ultrasound as a co-adjuvant in the extraction process were compared with methods traditionally used in the extraction of tocopherols and ..
- Mature Amaranthus hypochondriacus seeds contain non-processed 11S precursorsMaría Isabel Molina
Centro de Investigación y Desarrollo en Criotecnología de Alimentos CIDCA, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata, Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Cientificas y Tecnicas CONICET, Calle 47 y 116, 1900 La Plata, Argentina
Phytochemistry 69:58-65. 2008..These results confirm the presence of unprocessed 11S precursors in mature amaranth seeds; this phenomenon cannot, however, be attributed to low VPE activity during developing of amaranth seeds...
- Phytotoxicity of volatile oil from Eucalyptus citriodora against some weedy speciesN Setia
Department of Botany, Panjab University, Chandigarh 160 014, India
J Environ Biol 28:63-6. 2007..against some weeds viz. Bidens pilosa, Amaranthus viridis, Rumex nepalensis, and Leucaena leucocephala in order to assess its herbicidal activity...
- Photosynthesis with single-rooted Amaranthus leaves. II. Regulation of ribuelose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase, phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase, NAD-malic enzyme and NAD-malate dehydrogenase and coordination between PCR and C4 photosynthetic metabolism in Shinichi Sawada
Department of Biofunctional Science, Faculty of Agriculture and Life Science, Hirosaki University, Hirosaki, 036 8561 Japan
Plant Cell Physiol 43:1293-301. 2002..We previously reported that the rate of photosynthesis decreased when C4 model plants prepared from Amaranthus cruentus leaves were subjected to sink-limited conditions by exposure to continuous light for a few days...
- Bundle sheath diffusive resistance to CO(2) and effectiveness of C(4) photosynthesis and refixation of photorespired CO(2) in a C(4) cycle mutant and wild-type Amaranthus edulisOlavi Kiirats
School of Biological Sciences, Washington State University, Pullman, WA 99164 4236, USA
Plant Physiol 130:964-76. 2002A mutant of the NAD-malic enzyme-type C(4) plant, Amaranthus edulis, which lacks phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase (PEPC) in the mesophyll cells was studied...
- Endoplasmic reticulum-retention C-terminal sequence enhances production of an 11S seed globulin from Amaranthus hypochondriacus in Pichia pastorisSergio Medina-Godoy
Departamento de Biotecnologia y Bioquimica, Centro de Investigacion y de Estudios Avanzados del IPN, Unidad Irapuato, Irapuato, Guanajuato, Mexico
Biotechnol J 1:1085-92. 2006The methylotrophic yeast Pichia pastoris was used to express an 11S seed globulin from Amaranthus hypochondriacus. Three different plasmids were tested for expression of amarantin...
- Marked modulation by phosphate of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase in leaves of Amaranthus hypochondriacus, a NAD-ME type C4 plant: decrease in malate sensitivity but no change in the phosphorylation statusJhadeswar Murmu
Department of Plant Sciences, School of Life Sciences, University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad 500 046, India
J Exp Bot 54:2661-8. 2003The effect of Pi on the properties of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase (PEPC) from Amaranthus hypochondriacus, a NAD-ME type C4 plant, was studied in leaf extracts as well as with purified protein...
- Decoupling of light intensity effects on the growth and development of C3 and C4 weed species through sucrose supplementationSultan H Begna
Plant Science Department, McGill University, Macdonald Campus, 21111 Lakeshore Road, Ste Anne de Bellevue, Quebec, Canada H9X 3V9
J Exp Bot 53:1935-40. 2002..shade) and sucrose injection (distilled water or 150 g sucrose l(-1)) on three weed species: redroot pigweed (Amaranthus retroflexus L., C4), lambsquarters (Chenopodium album L., C3) and velvetleaf (Abutilon theophrasti Medic., C3)...
- Effects of growth light and nitrogen nutrition on the organization of the photosynthetic apparatus in leaves of a C4 plant, Amaranthus cruentusYoushi Tazoe
Department of Biology, Graduate School of Science, Osaka University, 1 1 Machikaneyama cho, Toyonaka, Osaka, 560 0043, Japan
Plant Cell Environ 29:691-700. 2006Properties of C4 photosynthesis were examined in Amaranthus cruentus L...
- Amelioration of hexachlorocyclohexane-induced oxidative stress by amaranth leaves in ratsK R Anilakumar
Biochemistry and Nutrition Discipline, Defence Food Research Laboratory, Mysore, 570 011, India
Plant Foods Hum Nutr 61:169-73. 2006..It is concluded that the consumption of AL at 20% level produces reduction in the HCH-induced impairment of antioxidant status in rat liver...
- Changes in beta-carotene and ascorbic acid content of fresh amaranth and fenugreek leaves during storage by low cost techniquePradeep Singh Negi
Division of Fruits and Horticultural Technology, Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi 110 012, India
Plant Foods Hum Nutr 58:225-30. 2003..Low cost storage structure was similar to low temperature storage for retention of beta-carotene, ascorbic acid, chlorophyll content and enhancement of shelf life...
- Irradiance and phenotype: comparative eco-development of sun and shade leaves in relation to photosynthetic CO2 diffusionIchiro Terashima
Department of Biology, Graduate School of Science, Osaka University, 1 1 Machikaneyama cho, Toyonaka, 560 0043, Japan
J Exp Bot 57:343-54. 2006..To increase the mesophyll surface area, the leaf can either be thicker or have smaller cells. Issues of cell size are discussed to understand plasticity in leaf thickness...
- Direct and acclimatory responses of dark respiration and translocation to temperatureJames A Bunce
Crop Systems and Global Change Laboratory, U S Department of Agriculture Agricultural Research Service, Beltsville Agricultural Research Center, 10300 Baltimore Avenue, Beltsville, MD 20705 2350, USA
Ann Bot 100:67-73. 2007..Translocation of carbohydrates out of leaves in the dark requires energy from respiration. In this study relationships between the responses of leaf respiration and translocation to temperature are examined...
- [Expression of two plant agglutinin genes in transgenic tobacco plants]Zhao hua Liu
Institution of Microbiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, National Key Laboratory of Plant Genomics, Beijing 100080, China
Yi Chuan Xue Bao 32:758-63. 2005A plant expression vector pBACG containing the DNA sequence coding for Amaranthus caudatus agglutinin (ACA) and a modified Glanthus nivalis agglutinin (GNA) gene was constructed. Leaf explants of Nicotiana tobacum cv...
- A new paradigm in leaf-level photosynthesis: direct and diffuse lights are not equalCraig R Brodersen
Department of Plant Biology, University of Vermont, 109 Carrigan Dr, 120B Marsh Life Science Building, Burlington, VT 05405, USA
Plant Cell Environ 31:159-64. 2008....
- Phytotoxicity and ultrastructural effects of gymnopusin from the orchid Maxillaria densa on duckweed (Lemna pausicostata) frond and root tissuesN A Valencia-Islas
Facultad de Quimica, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, 04510, Mexico DF, Coyoacan, Mexico
Phytochemistry 61:141-8. 2002..were isolated from an extract of the orchid Maxillaria densa, using phytotoxicity with amaranth (Amaranthus hypochondriacus) to guide fractionation. Gymnopusin and erianthridin inhibited radicle elongation of A...
- Phytotoxic activity of bibenzyl derivatives from the orchid Epidendrum rigidumYanet Hernández-Romero
Departamento de Farmacia, Facultad de Quimica, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Coyoacan, 04510, Mexico City, Mexico
J Agric Food Chem 53:6276-80. 2005A whole plant chloroform-methanol extract of the orchid Epidendrum rigidum inhibited radicle growth of Amaranthus hypochondriacus seedlings (IC50 = 300 microg/mL)...
- Immunological characteristics of PEP carboxylase from leaves of C3-, C4- and C3-C4 intermediate species of Alternanthera--comparison with selected C3- and C4- plantsJ Gayathri
Department of Plant Sciences, School of Life Sciences, University of Hyderabad, India
Indian J Exp Biol 39:643-9. 2001..along with a few other C3- and C4- plants) was studied using anti-PEPC antibodies raised against PEPC of Amaranthus hypochondriacus (belonging to the same family as that of Alternanthera, namely Amaranthaceae)...
- Two short sequences from amaranth 11S globulin are sufficient to target green fluorescent protein and beta-glucuronidase to vacuoles in Arabidopsis cellsSilvana Petruccelli
Centro de Investigación y Desarrollo en Criotecnología de Alimentos, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata, CC553, 1900 La Plata, Argentina
Plant Physiol Biochem 45:400-9. 2007..In this work, the ability of two sequences of the Amaranthus hypochondriacus 11S globulin (amaranthin) to target reporter proteins to vacuoles was studied...
- A new phytotoxic nonenolide from Phoma herbarumJosé Fausto Rivero-Cruz
Departamento de Farmacia, Facultad de Quimica, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Mexico D F 04510, Mexico
J Nat Prod 66:511-4. 2003..The structure of 3 was elucidated by spectroscopic methods and molecular modeling. Compounds 1-3 interacted with bovine-brain calmodulin and inhibited the activation of the calmodulin-dependent enzyme cAMP phosphodiesterase...
- Effect of addition of grit made of crude and expanded amaranth seeds on the quality of canned meatH Ostoja
University of Warmia and Mazury, Department of Meat Technology, Plac Cieszynski 1, PL 10 957 Olsztyn, Poland
Nahrung 46:270-5. 2002..b>Amaranthus cruentus seeds were expanded by the nonpressure method and graded by density (degree of expansion) into three ..
- [Production of pectinases by Penicillium simplicissimum A3263 in an amaranth-seed flour medium]M D Pastor
IMIQA, Instituto de Investigación y Desarrollo en Microbiología y Química Aplicada, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales, UNLPam, Av Uruguay 151, 6 300 Santa Rosa, La Pampa, Argentina
Rev Argent Microbiol 34:15-21. 2002..of pectinases using a strain of Penicillium simplicissimum A3263 and considering the influence of adding Amaranthus cruentus seed meal in a selected medium. We also considered the influence of aeration on enzyme production...
- Effect of diet quality on carbon and nitrogen turnover and isotopic discrimination in blood of a New World nectarivorous batL Leticia Mirón M
Departamento de Zoologia, Instituto de Biologia, UNAM, Apartado Postal 70 153, 04510, Mexico, DF, Mexico
J Exp Biol 209:541-8. 2006....
- Aeroallergens in clinical practice of allergy in India- ARIA Asia Pacific Workshop reportAnand B Singh
Allergy and Aerobiology Laboratory, Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology, Delhi University Campus, Delhi 110007, India
Asian Pac J Allergy Immunol 26:245-56. 2008..Allergenically important airborne pollen identified by clinico-immunologic evaluation are Alnus, Amaranthus, Argemone, Brassica, Cannabis, Cassia, Cedrus, Chenopodium, Cocos, Holoptelia, Mallotus, Morus, Parthenium, ..
- Aeroallergens in clinical practice of allergy in India. An overviewAnand B Singh
Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology, Mall Road, Delhi 110007, India
Ann Agric Environ Med 10:131-6. 2003..important pollen are Prosopis juliflora, Ricinus communis, Morus, Mallotus, Alnus, Querecus, Cedrus, Argemone, Amaranthus, Chenopodium, Holoptelea, Brassica, Cocos, Cannabis, Parthenium, Cassia and grasses...
- Reproduction of Pratylenchus penetrans on 24 Common Weeds in Potato Fields in QuébecG Belair
Horticulture Research and Development Centre, Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, St Jean sur Richelieu, Quebec, J3B 3E6, Canada
J Nematol 39:321-6. 2007..01 to 0.15. Amaranthus powellii, A...
- Role of Myzus persicae (Hemiptera: Aphididae) and its secondary hosts in plum pox virus propagationB Manachini
Institute of Agricultural Entomology, University of Milan, via Celoria 2 1, 20133 Milan, Italy
J Econ Entomol 100:1047-52. 2007..became infected. Although Lupinus polyphyllus Lindley, Taraxacum officinale L., Achillea millefolium L., Amaranthus retroflexus L., and Linum rubrum L. did not become infected, they are hosts of M. persicae...
- Antimalarial herbal remedies of Msambweni, KenyaJ M Nguta
Department of Public Health, Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Nairobi, PO Box 30197, Nairobi 00100, Kenya
J Ethnopharmacol 128:424-32. 2010..Jeffrey (Cucurbitaceae), Grewia hexaminta Burret. (Tiliaceae), Canthium glaucum Hiern. (Rubiaceae), Amaranthus hybridus L. (Amaranthaceae), Combretum padoides Engl and Diels. (Combretaceae), Senecio syringitolius O. Hoffman...
- Traditional leafy vegetables in senegal: diversity and medicinal usesGueye Mathieu
Laboratoire de Botanique, IFAN,
Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med 4:469-75. 2007..The Amaranthus spp. L., Leptadenia hastata Decne., Senna obtusifolia Link., Adansonia digitata L. and Tamarindus indica L...
- Phytoremediation of petroleum-polluted soils: application of Polygonum aviculare and its root-associated (penetrated) fungal strains for bioremediation of petroleum-polluted soilsFariba Mohsenzadeh
Department of Environmental Health Engineering, School of Public Health and Center for Environmental Research, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 73:613-9. 2010..Fabaceae), Amaranthus retroflexus L. var. retroflexus (Amaranthaceae), Convolvulus arvensis L...
- The effects of extracts from anti-diarrheic Thai medicinal plants on the in vitro growth of the intestinal protozoa parasite: Blastocystis hominisNongyao Sawangjaroen
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Science, Prince of Songkla University, Hat Yai, Songkhla 90112, Thailand
J Ethnopharmacol 98:67-72. 2005..and methanol extracts from five anti-diarrheic Thai medicinal plants, Acacia catechu (Fabaceae) resin, Amaranthus spinosus (Amaranthaceae) whole plant, Brucea javanica (Simaroubaceae) seed, Piper longum (Piperaceae) fruit and ..
- [Allelopathic effects of invasive weed Solidago canadensis on native plants]Lingxiao Mei
College of Life Sciences, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310029, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 16:2379-82. 2005..Plantago virginica, Kummerowia stipulacea, Festuca arundinacea, Ageratum conyzoides, Portulaca oleracea, and Amaranthus spinosus. The results showed that the allelopathic inhibitory effect of the extracts from both S...
- Radioprotective Potential of Plants and Herbs against the Effects of Ionizing RadiationGanesh C Jagetia
Department of Radiobiology, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal 576 104, India
J Clin Biochem Nutr 40:74-81. 2007..as Gingko biloba, Centella asiatica, Hippophae rhamnoides, Ocimum sanctum, Panax ginseng, Podophyllum hexandrum, Amaranthus paniculatus, Emblica officinalis, Phyllanthus amarus, Piper longum, Tinospora cordifoila, Mentha arvensis, ..
- Water-soluble chlorophyll protein in Brassicaceae plants is a stress-induced chlorophyll-binding proteinH Satoh
Department of Biomolecular Science, Toho University, Miyama, Funabashi, Chiba, 274 8510 Japan
Plant Cell Physiol 42:906-11. 2001..g., a WSCP from Chenopodium, Atriplex, Polygonum, and Amaranthus species (class I) and that from Brassica, Raphanus, and Lepidium species (class II)...
- Prevention of garlic-induced hemolytic anemia using some tropical green leafy vegetablesGaniyu Oboh
Biochemistry Department, Federal University of Technology, Akure, Nigeria
J Med Food 7:498-501. 2004..This project sought to investigate the ability of some commonly consumed tropical green leafy vegetables-namely, Amaranthus cruentus, Baselia alba, Solanum macrocarpon, Ocimum gratissimum, and Corchorus olitorius-to prevent garlic-..
- Plant growth inhibition by cis-cinnamoyl glucosides and cis-cinnamic acidSyuntaro Hiradate
Department of Biological Safety Science, National Institute for Agro Environmental Sciences, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8604, Japan
J Chem Ecol 31:591-601. 2005..activity of CG and BCG on root elongation of germinated seedlings of lettuce (Lactuca sativa), pigweed (Amaranthus retroflexus), red clover (Trifolium pratense), timothy (Phleum pratense), and bok choy (Brassica rapa var ..
- ASAP: amplification, sequencing & annotation of plastomesAmit Dhingra
Horticultural Sciences Department, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
BMC Genomics 6:176. 2005..Cognate primer pairs were then designed to generate approximately 1 - 1.2 kb overlapping amplicons from the inverted repeat region in 14 diverse genera...
- [Effects of simulated nitrogen deposition on weeds growth and nitrogen uptake]Qiqing Jiang
College of Life Sciences, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310029, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 16:951-5. 2005..mitis, Eleusine indica and Amaranthus spinosus in orchard ecosystem were used test materials, and their above-and underground biomass and nitrogen ..
- Syntheses and herbicidal activity of new triazolopyrimidine-2-sulfonamides as acetohydroxyacid synthase inhibitorChao Nan Chen
Key Laboratory of Pesticide and Chemical Biology, Ministry of Education, College of Chemistry, Central China Normal University, Wuhan 430079, PR China
Bioorg Med Chem 18:4897-904. 2010..5g.ai/ha, 3d showed excellent herbicidal activity against Galium aparine, Cerastium arvense, Chenopodium album, Amaranthus retroflexus, and Rmumex acetasa, moderate herbicidal activity against Polygonum humifusum, Cyperus iria, and ..
- Phytotoxicity evaluation of five pharmaceutical pollutants detected in surface water on germination and growth of cultivated and spontaneous plantsBrigida D'Abrosca
Department of Life Sciences, Second University of Naples, Caserta, Italy
J Environ Sci Health A Tox Hazard Subst Environ Eng 43:285-94. 2008..includes the phytotoxicity assessment of all the selected chemicals on wild species, Avena fatua (wild oats), Amaranthus retroflexus (redroot pigweed), Lolium perenne (perennial ryegrass), Taraxacum officinale (common dandelion), and ..
- Antifungal, phytotoxic and insecticidal properties of essential oil isolated from Turkish Origanum acutidens and its three components, carvacrol, thymol and p-cymeneSaban Kordali
Ataturk University, Department of Plant Protection, 25240 Erzurum, Turkey
Bioresour Technol 99:8788-95. 2008..The oil, carvacrol and thymol completely inhibited the seed germination and seedling growth of Amaranthus retroflexus, Chenopodium album and Rumex crispus and also showed a potent phytotoxic effect against these plants...
- Differential contributions of recognition factors of two plant lectins -Amaranthus caudatus lectin and Arachis hypogea agglutinin, reacting with Thomsen-Friedenreich disaccharide (Galbeta1-3GalNAcalpha1-Ser/Thr)Albert M Wu
Glyco Immunochemistry Research Laboratory, Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Chang Gung University Kwei san, Tao Yuan, Taiwan
Biochimie 90:1769-80. 2008Previous reports on the carbohydrate specificities of Amaranthus caudatus lectin (ACL) and peanut agglutinin (PNA, Arachis hypogea) indicated that they share the same specificity for the Thomsen-Friedenreich (T(alpha), Galbeta1-..