Genomes and Genes
Summary: The body of a fungus which is made up of HYPHAE.
Publications259 found, 100 shown here
- Cordyceps sinensis mycelium protects mice from group A streptococcal infectionChih Feng Kuo
Department of Nursing, I Shou University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
J Med Microbiol 54:795-802. 2005..sinensis mycelium extract against GAS infection. Force-feeding mice with C...
- Genome-wide gene expression profiling of fertilization competent mycelium in opposite mating types in the heterothallic fungus Podospora anserinaFrédérique Bidard
Univ Paris Sud, Institut de Génétique et Microbiologie UMR8621, Orsay, France
PLoS ONE 6:e21476. 2011..FMR1 and FPR1 are the major regulators of fertilization, and this study presents a genome-wide view of their target genes and analyzes their target gene regulation...
- Intimate bacterial-fungal interaction triggers biosynthesis of archetypal polyketides in Aspergillus nidulansVolker Schroeckh
Department of Molecular and Applied Microbiology, Leibniz Institute for Natural Product Research and Infection Biology Hans Knöll Institute, 07745 Jena, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:14558-63. 2009....
- Nitrogen transfer in the arbuscular mycorrhizal symbiosisManjula Govindarajulu
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, New Mexico 88003, USA
Nature 435:819-23. 2005..fungus outside the roots is incorporated into amino acids, translocated from the extraradical to the intraradical mycelium as arginine, but transferred to the plant without carbon...
- Spatial differentiation in the vegetative mycelium of Aspergillus nigerAna M Levin
Microbiology, Institute of Biomembranes, Utrecht University, Padulaan 8, 3584 CH Utrecht, The Netherlands
Eukaryot Cell 6:2311-22. 2007..the central part of the colony has been (partly) degraded, whereas it is still unexplored at the periphery of the mycelium. We here assessed whether substrate heterogeneity is a main determinant of spatial gene expression in colonies of ..
- Fungal mycelia allow chemotactic dispersal of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon-degrading bacteria in water-unsaturated systemsShoko Furuno
Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research UFZ, Department of Environmental Microbiology, 04318 Leipzig, Germany
Environ Microbiol 12:1391-8. 2010..we studied the movement of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon-degrading Pseudomonas putida PpG7 (NAH7) along a mycelium of Pythium ultimum...
- Production of ectomycorrhizal mycelium peaks during canopy closure in Norway spruce forestsHåkan Wallander
Department of Microbial Ecology, Lund University, SE 223 62 Lund, Sweden
New Phytol 187:1124-34. 2010..The variation in EM biomass production over the rotation period has implications for carbon sequestration rates in forest soils...
- Spatially resolving the secretome within the mycelium of the cell factory Aspergillus nigerPauline Krijgsheld
Microbiology and Kluyver Centre for Genomics of Industrial Fermentation, Utrecht University, Padualaan 8, 3584 CH Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Proteome Res 11:2807-18. 2012..Unexpectedly, protein release was increased by cycloheximide in the intermediate and central zones of the mycelium when compared to nontreated colonies...
- AGS3, an alpha(1-3)glucan synthase gene family member of Aspergillus fumigatus, modulates mycelium growth in the lung of experimentally infected miceD Maubon
Aspergillus Unit, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Fungal Genet Biol 43:366-75. 2006..These results suggest an indirect role for AGS3 in virulence through an adaptive mechanism...
- MVE1, encoding the velvet gene product homolog in Mycosphaerella graminicola, is associated with aerial mycelium formation, melanin biosynthesis, hyphal swelling, and light signalingYoon E Choi
Department of Botany and Plant Pathology, Purdue University, USDA ARS, Crop Production and Pest Control Research Unit, 915 West State Street, West Lafayette, IN 47907 2054, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 77:942-53. 2011..to hypersensitivity to shaking, reduced hydrophobicity, and blindness to light-dependent stimulation of aerial mycelium production. However, pathogenicity was not altered in Δmve1 strains...
- Hyphal differentiation in the exploring mycelium of Aspergillus nigerArman Vinck
Institute of Biomembranes, Microbiology, University of Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Mol Microbiol 58:693-9. 2005..Our findings indicate that a fungal mycelium is highly differentiated, especially when taking into account that hyphae in the exploration zone were exposed to ..
- BLR-1 and BLR-2, key regulatory elements of photoconidiation and mycelial growth in Trichoderma atrovirideSergio Casas-Flores
Instituto de Investigacion en Biologia Experimental, Facultad de Quimica, Universidad de Guanajuato, Apartado Postal 187, Guanajuato 36050, Mexico
Microbiology 150:3561-9. 2004..This response was not altered in the mutants. A novel effect of both red and blue light on mycelial growth was found involving another light receptor, which is compensated by the BLR proteins...
- Deep RNA sequencing improved the structural annotation of the Tuber melanosporum transcriptomeE Tisserant
INRA, UMR INRA Nancy Université Interactions Arbres Micro Organismes, INRA Nancy, Champenoux, France
New Phytol 189:883-91. 2011..melanosporum at different major developmental stages, that is free-living mycelium, fruiting body and ectomycorrhiza. • Sequencing of cDNA libraries generated a total of c...
- Conidiophore stalk-less1 encodes a putative zinc-finger protein involved in the early stage of conidiation and mycelial infection in Magnaporthe oryzaeZhuangzhi Zhou
Institute of Microbiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, P R China
Mol Plant Microbe Interact 22:402-10. 2009..oryzae...
- Anti-tumor and immunomodulating activities of proteoglycans from mycelium of Phellinus nigricans and culture mediumXia Li
Laboratory of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, School of Life Sciences, Northeast Normal University, Changchun 130024, China
Int Immunopharmacol 8:909-15. 2008Two proteoglycans, PNW1 and PNM1, were isolated from the mycelium of Phellinus nigricans through submerged fermentation and culture medium, respectively...
- Isolation and characterization of some mycelia inhabiting Tuber ascomataGiovanni Pacioni
Department of Environmental Sciences, University of L Aquila Italy, Via Vetoio Loc Coppito, I 67010 L Aquila, Italy
Mycol Res 111:1450-60. 2007..truffle-hosted mycelia grew stuck to the hyphal wall of their partner when co-cultivated with the Tuber borchii mycelium, but not when co-cultivated with the test species Agaricus macrosporus...
- Gene expression studies of the dikaryotic mycelium and primordium of Lentinula edodes by serial analysis of gene expressionWinnie Wing Yan Chum
Department of Biology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, N T, Hong Kong SAR, China
Mycol Res 112:950-64. 2008..fruit of the species have been identified, little is known about the process of differentiation from dikaryotic mycelium to primordium...
- Genomic profiling of carbohydrate metabolism in the ectomycorrhizal fungus Tuber melanosporumP Ceccaroli
Dipartimento di Scienze Biomolecolari, Universita degli Studi di Urbino Carlo Bo, Urbino, Italy
New Phytol 189:751-64. 2011..These data indicate a high degree of lifecycle stage specialization for particular branches of carbohydrate metabolism in T. melanosporum...
- Disruption of the alternative oxidase gene in Magnaporthe grisea and its impact on host infectionCruz Avila-Adame
Department of Plant Pathology, Cornell University, New York State Agricultural Experiment Station, Geneva 14456, USA
Mol Plant Microbe Interact 15:493-500. 2002..Rather, alternative respiration provided protection from azoxystrobin during both saprophytic and infectious stages of the pathogen. The nature of similar oxidative stress conditions in the ecology of M. grisea remains an open question...
- Extraradical development and contribution to plant performance of an arbuscular mycorrhizal symbiosis exposed to complete or partial rootzone dryingElke Neumann
Institute of Vegetable and Ornamental Crops, Grossbeeren 14979, Germany
Mycorrhiza 20:13-23. 2009..Controls remained well watered. Low soil moisture generally had a negative effect on the amount of extraradical mycelium of G. intraradices extracted from the fungal tubes...
- Anti-oxidation activity of different types of natural Cordyceps sinensis and cultured Cordyceps myceliaS P Li
Department of Biology and Biotechnology Research Institute, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, China
Phytomedicine 8:207-12. 2001....
- GintAMT1 encodes a functional high-affinity ammonium transporter that is expressed in the extraradical mycelium of Glomus intraradicesAgustín López-Pedrosa
Departamento de Microbiologia del Suelo y Sistemas Simbioticos, Estacion Experimental del Zaidin, CSIC, Profesor Albareda 1, 18008 Granada, Spain
Fungal Genet Biol 43:102-10. 2006..These data suggest that GintAMT1 is involved in NH(4)(+) uptake by the extraradical mycelia from the surrounding media when it is present at micromolar concentrations...
- Fengycin antibiotics isolated from B-FS01 culture inhibit the growth of Fusarium moniliforme Sheldon ATCC 38932Liang Bin Hu
College of Life Sciences, Nanjing Agricultural University, Nanjing, China
FEMS Microbiol Lett 272:91-8. 2007..Further toxic assay of AAC in vitro against F. moniliforme indicated that AAC could strongly inhibit the growth of both mycelia and spores. In addition, treatment with AAC significantly modified the maize seed infection by ATCC 38932...
- A potent sphingomyelinase inhibitor from Cordyceps mycelia contributes its cytoprotective effect against oxidative stress in macrophagesShwu Huey Wang
Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Lipid Res 52:471-9. 2011..7 cells. Results suggest that CME-1 protects RAW264.7 cells against oxidative stress through inhibition of SMase activity and reduction of C16- and C18-ceramide levels...
- Cordyceps sinensis mycelium activates PKA and PKC signal pathways to stimulate steroidogenesis in MA-10 mouse Leydig tumor cellsYung Chia Chen
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan, Republic of China
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 37:214-23. 2005Cordyceps sinensis (CS) mycelium stimulates steroidogenesis in MA-10 mouse Leydig tumor cells, but the mechanisms remain unclear...
- Cordyceps sinensis mycelium induces MA-10 mouse Leydig tumor cell apoptosis by activating the caspase-8 pathway and suppressing the NF-kappaB pathwayH Y Yang
Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biology, College of Life Science, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Arch Androl 52:103-10. 2006..CS blocked NF-?B protein expression in a dose-dependent relationship. CS induces MA-10 cell apoptosis by activating caspase-8-dependent and caspase-9-independent pathways and downregulating NF-?B protein expression...
- Mycelium differentiation and antibiotic production in submerged cultures of Streptomyces coelicolorAngel Manteca
Area de Microbiologia, Departamento de Biologia Funcional and IUBA, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Oviedo, 33006 Oviedo, Spain
Appl Environ Microbiol 74:3877-86. 2008..Spores germinate as a compartmentalized mycelium (first mycelium). These young compartmentalized hyphae start to form pellets which grow in a radial pattern...
- Chemical characterization, antiproliferative and antiadhesive properties of polysaccharides extracted from Pleurotus pulmonarius mycelium and fruiting bodiesIris Lavi
Institute of Biochemistry, Food Science and Nutrition, Faculty of Agricultural, Food and Environmental Quality Sciences, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, P O Box 12, Rehovot 76100, Israel
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 85:1977-90. 2010..Thus, the present study compared polysaccharides extracts produced by Pleurotus pulmonarius from mycelium grown in liquid culture (ME) or fruiting bodies (FBE)...
- Enzyme production by Mycena galopus mycelium in artificial media and in Picea sitchensis F1 horizon needle litterArundhati Ghosh
Division of Life Sciences, King s College, University of London, Franklin Wilkins Building, 150 Stamford Street, London SE1 9NN, UK
Mycol Res 107:996-1008. 2003..Mycena galopus produced water- and buffer-extractable mannases and xylanases when grown on needle litter...
- Interaction of airway epithelial cells (A549) with spores and mycelium of Aspergillus fumigatusZhihong Zhang
Department of Pulmonology, The First Affiliated Hospital of Anhui Medical University, Jixi Road 218, Hefei, Anhui 230022, China
J Infect 51:375-82. 2005To study the interaction of airway epithelial cell line A549 with fragments of mycelium, spores of Aspergillus fumigatus in vitro and to determine if toll-like receptors (TLRs) are involved in the process.
- Two phosphodiesterase genes, PDEL and PDEH, regulate development and pathogenicity by modulating intracellular cyclic AMP levels in Magnaporthe oryzaeHaifeng Zhang
Department of Plant Pathology, College of Plant Protection, Nanjing Agricultural University, and Key Laboratory of Monitoring and Management of Crop Diseases and Pest Insects, Ministry of Agriculture, Nanjing, China
PLoS ONE 6:e17241. 2011..Moreover, microarray data revealed new insights into the underlying cAMP regulatory mechanisms that may help to identify potential pathogenicity factors for the development of new disease management strategies...
- Expression of phenol oxidase and heat-shock genes during the development of Agaricus bisporus fruiting bodies, healthy and infected by Lecanicillium fungicolaMichèle L Largeteau
UR1264, Mycologie et Sécurité des Aliments, INRA, BP81, 33883 Villenave d Ornon, France
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 85:1499-507. 2010..The six strains exhibited a comparable expression in the vegetative mycelium, non-receptive to L. fungicola.
- Regulation of the nitrogen transfer pathway in the arbuscular mycorrhizal symbiosis: gene characterization and the coordination of expression with nitrogen fluxChunjie Tian
Department of Plant Biology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
Plant Physiol 153:1175-87. 2010..The current model of N handling in the AM symbiosis includes the synthesis of arginine in the extraradical mycelium and the transfer of arginine to the intraradical mycelium, where it is broken down to release N for transfer to ..
- MHP1, a Magnaporthe grisea hydrophobin gene, is required for fungal development and plant colonizationSoonok Kim
School of Agricultural Biotechnology and Center for Agricultural Biomaterials, Seoul National University, Seoul 151 742, Korea
Mol Microbiol 57:1224-37. 2005..Taken together, these results indicate that MHP1 has essential roles in surface hydrophobicity and infection-related fungal development, and is required for pathogenicity of M. grisea...
- Prevention of the development of preneoplastic lesions, aberrant crypt foci, by a water-soluble extract from cultured medium of Ganoderma lucidum (Rei-shi) mycelia in male F344 ratsH Lu
Department of Environment and Mutation, Research Institute for Radiation Biology and Medicine, Hiroshima University, Minami-ku, Hiroshima 734-8553, Japan
Oncol Rep 8:1341-5. 2001..In an additional in vitro experiment, MAK inhibited anchorage-independent growth of several colon carcinoma cell lines. The present results thus indicate that dietary MAK could act as a preventive agent for colon carcinogenesis...
- Soil-fungi transfer coefficients: Importance of the location of mycelium in soil and of the differential availability of radionuclides in soil fractionsA Baeza
Department of Physics, Faculty of Veterinary, University of Extremadura, Avda Universidad s n, Caceres 10071, Spain
J Environ Radioact 81:89-106. 2005..The location of the mycelium in the soil profiles of these ecosystems was determined by means of the ergosterol concentration...
- Effects of selenium and light wavelengths on liquid culture of Cordyceps militaris LinkJ Z Dong
Key Laboratory of Biologic Resources Protection and Utilization of Hubei Province, School of Biological Science and Technology, Hubei University for Nationalities, Enshi, China
Appl Biochem Biotechnol 166:2030-6. 2012..by selenium except for 20 ppm; there were significant differences in cordycepin contents, adenosine contents, and mycelium growth caused by light wavelengths: cordycepin, blue light > pink light > daylight, darkness, red light; ..
- Expressed sequence tag analysis of the human pathogen Paracoccidioides brasiliensis yeast phase: identification of putative homologues of Candida albicans virulence and pathogenicity genesGustavo H Goldman
Faculdade de Ciencias Farmaceuticas de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Eukaryot Cell 2:34-48. 2003..brasiliensis. Furthermore, we have analyzed the expression of some of these genes during the dimorphic yeast-mycelium-yeast transition by real-time quantitative reverse transcription-PCR...
- In situ identification of intracellular bacteria related to Paenibacillus spp. in the mycelium of the ectomycorrhizal fungus Laccaria bicolor S238NJ Bertaux
Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, UMR Interactions Arbres Micro Organismes, Centre de Nancy, 54280 Champenoux, France
Appl Environ Microbiol 69:4243-8. 2003..bicolor S238N. They were small (0.5 micro m in diameter), rare, and heterogeneously distributed in the mycelium and were identified as Paenibacillus spp...
- Quantitative detection of Lactarius deliciosus extraradical soil mycelium by real-time PCR and its application in the study of fungal persistence and interspecific competitionJ Parladé
IRTA, Departament de Protecció Vegetal, Ctra Cabrils, Km 2, 08348 Cabrils, Barcelona, Spain
J Biotechnol 128:14-23. 2007Real-Time PCR has been applied to quantify extraradical soil mycelium of the edible ectomycorrhizal fungus Lactarius deliciosus in an interspecific competition experiment under greenhouse conditions...
- Lectin activity of Lentinus edodesO M Tsivileva
Institute of Biochemistry and Physiology of Plants and Microorganisms, RAS, Saratov, Russia
Int Microbiol 4:41-5. 2001The hemagglutinating activity of submerged mycelium and culture liquid for four strains of Lentinus edodes (Berk.) Sing [L. edodes (Berk.) Pegler] was studied in the search for lectins...
- Comparison of culture methods on exopolysaccharide production in the submerged culture of Cordyceps militaris and process optimizationJ D Cui
College of Bioscience and Bioengineering, Hebei University of Science and Technology, Shijiazhang, China
Lett Appl Microbiol 52:123-8. 2011..To improve exopolysaccharides (EPS) production of Cordyceps militaris (C. militaris), effects of different culture method on mycelial biomass and EPS production in the submerged culture of C. militaris were investigated...
- Structural characterization of the cell wall D-glucans isolated from the mycelium of Botryosphaeria rhodina MAMB-05Maria de Lourdes Corradi da Silva
Departamento de Fisica, Química e Biologia, Faculdade de Ciencias e Tecnologia, Universidade Estadual Paulista, CP 467, CEP 19060 900, Presidente Prudente, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Carbohydr Res 343:793-8. 2008Three D-glucans were isolated from the mycelium of the fungus Botryosphaeria rhodina MAMB-05 by sequential extraction with hot-water and hot aqueous KOH (2% w/v) followed by ethanol precipitation...
- Transcriptome and proteome exploration to provide a resource for the study of Agrocybe aegeritaMan Wang
State Key Laboratory of Virology, College of Life Sciences, Wuhan University, Wuhan, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 8:e56686. 2013..Several bioactive extracts from A. aegerita have been found to exhibit antitumor and antioxidant activities. However, limited genetic resources for A. aegerita have hindered exploration of this species...
- Extraradical mycelium of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi radiating from large plants depresses the growth of nearby seedlings in a nutrient deficient substrateMartina Janousková
Department of Mycorrhizal Symbioses, Institute of Botany, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, 252 43 Pruhonice, Czech Republic
Mycorrhiza 21:641-50. 2011..inodorum, were planted in lateral compartments, which were colonised by the extraradical mycelium (ERM) of the pre-cultivated T. inodorum in the inoculated treatments...
- Tolerance to and accumulation of cadmium by the mycelium of the fungi Scleroderma citrinum and Pisolithus tinctoriusRogelio Carrillo-González
Instituto de Recursos Naturales, Edafología, Colegio de Postgraduados, Carr Mexico Texcoco km 36 5 Montecillo, 56230, Texcoco, Edo de Mexico, Mexico
Biol Trace Elem Res 146:388-95. 2012..The mycelium of both Pt strains accumulated more Cd than the Sc mycelium...
- The role of mycelium production and a MAPK-mediated immune response in the C. elegans-Fusarium model systemMaged Muhammed
Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts General Hospital, Division of Infectious Diseases, Boston, MA, USA
Med Mycol 50:488-96. 2012..Interestingly, mycelium production appears to be a major contributor in nematode killing in this model system, and C...
- Production of cordycepin and mycelia by submerged fermentation of Cordyceps militaris in mixture natural cultureChun yan Xie
Department of Food Science and Technology, Nanjing Agricultural University, 1 Weigang street, Nanjing, Jiangsu 210095, China
Appl Biochem Biotechnol 158:483-92. 2009..militaris in shaking flasks. The effects of the ratio of three natural materials on dry mycelium weight (DMW) and on cordycepin yield (CY) were analyzed...
- An optimized method for mycelial compatibility testing in Sclerotinia sclerotiorumMichelle R Schafer
Biology Department, University of Toronto at Mississauga, 3359 Mississauga Road North, Mississauga, ON, L5L 1C6, Canada
Mycologia 98:593-7. 2006..Workers are advised to optimize conditions before screening a new population sample...
- Evidences of high carbon catabolic enzyme activities during sporulation of Pleurotus ostreatus (Florida)Tapas K Chakraborty
Indian Institute of Chemical Biology, 4 Raja S C Mullick Road, Kolkata 700 032, India
J Basic Microbiol 43:462-7. 2003..Concentrations of all the major sugars of the fruiting body (mannitol, glucose and trehalose) decreased in the mature fruiting body and gill tissue. This indicated high catabolic activities at this stage of development...
- Anti-inflammation effects of Cordyceps sinensis mycelium in focal cerebral ischemic injury ratsZhenquan Liu
School of Basic Medical Sciences, Beijing University of Chinese Medicine, Beijing, 100102, China
Inflammation 34:639-44. 2011..To test the neuroprotective efficacy of Cordyceps sinensis mycelium (CSM) in a rat model of focal cerebral IR, ischemic animals were treated with CSM...
- Organic and mineral fertilization, respectively, increase and decrease the development of external mycelium of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi in a long-term field experimentM Gryndler
Institute of Microbiology CAS, Division of Ecology, Videnska 1083, CZ 142 20, Prague 4, Czech Republic
Mycorrhiza 16:159-66. 2006..WCFA) 18:2omega6,9 levels, a biomarker of saprotrophic fungi, indicating that visual measurements of the AMF mycelium were not distorted by erroneous involvement of hyphae of saprotrophs...
- Competitive PCR for quantitation of a Cytophaga-Flexibacter-Bacteroides phylum bacterium associated with the Tuber borchii Vittad. myceliumElena Barbieri
Giorgio Fornaini Institute of Biochemistry, University of Urbino, Pesaro Urbino, Italy
Appl Environ Microbiol 68:6421-4. 2002..The estimated number of bacteria was found to be approximately 10(6) cells per 30-day-old T. borchii mycelium culture...
- Immunological alterations in lupus-prone autoimmune (NZB/NZW) F1 mice by mycelia Chinese medicinal fungus Cordyceps sinensis-induced redistributions of peripheral mononuclear T lymphocytesJiun Liang Chen
Graduate Institute and School of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Chang Gung University, Center for Traditional Chinese Medicine, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taoyuan, Taiwan, ROC
Clin Exp Med 9:277-84. 2009..Our purpose was to investigate the immunological effects of an orally administered hot-water extract cultured mycelium of C. sinensis in lupus-prone (NZB/NZW) F1 hybrids...
- Agrobacterium tumefaciens-mediated transformation of the vegetative dikaryotic mycelium of the cultivated mushroom Flammulina velutipesTomomitsu Okamoto
Division of Applied Biology, Faculty of Textile Science and Technology, Shinshu University, Ueda, Nagano, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 74:2327-9. 2010Agrobacterium tumefaciens was used to transform the vegetative dikaryotic mycelium of Flammulina velutipes using a hygromycin B resistance gene as selectable marker...
- Characterization of glucuronic acid containing glycolipid in Aspergillus fumigatus myceliumThierry Fontaine
Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Carbohydr Res 344:1960-7. 2009..This acidic glycolipid was extracted from the membrane of mycelium and purified by two successive chromatographic steps on DEAE-Sephadex and Silica columns...
- Assessing the risk that Phytophthora melonis can develop a point mutation (V1109L) in CesA3 conferring resistance to carboxylic acid amide fungicidesLei Chen
Department of Plant Pathology, College of Agriculture and Biotechnology, China Agricultural University, Beijing, China
PLoS ONE 7:e42069. 2012..Based on this mutation, an efficient allelic-specific PCR (AS-PCR) method was developed for rapid detection of CAA-resistance in P. melonis populations...
- Apoptosis of human hepatocarcinoma (HepG2) and neuroblastoma (SKN-SH) cells induced by polysaccharides-peptide complexes produced by submerged mycelial culture of an entomopathogenic fungus Cordyceps sphecocephalaJung Young Oh
Department of Biotechnology, Daegu University, Kyungsan 712 714, Korea
J Microbiol Biotechnol 18:512-9. 2008..We conclude that PPC has potential as a novel therapeutic agent for the treatment of both HepG2 and SK-N-SH cancer cells without any cytotoxicity against normal cells...
- Extraction of extraradical arbuscular mycorrhizal mycelium from compartments filled with soil and glass beadsElke Neumann
Institute of Plant Nutrition 330, Hohenheim University, Stuttgart, Germany
Mycorrhiza 15:533-7. 2005This study presents a novel method for the extraction and quantification of extraradical mycelium (ERM) of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi (AMF) from a substrate that simulates soil better than previously used artificial growth media...
- Cordyceps sinensis mycelium extract induces human premyelocytic leukemia cell apoptosis through mitochondrion pathwayQiao Xia Zhang
Department of Applied Biology and Chemical Technology, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 232:52-7. 2007This study was to identify the signaling pathways for the induction of HL-60 cell apoptosis by Cordyceps sinensis mycelium extract (CSME)...
- Differential proteomic analysis of temperature-induced autolysis in mycelium of Pleurotus tuber-regiumBifang Huang
School of Life Sciences, Fujian Agriculture and Forestry University, Fuzhou 350002, China
Curr Microbiol 62:1160-7. 2011..the enzymes secreted by temperature-induced (40°C as treatment versus 10°C as control) autolysis of the mycelium of P. tuber-regium grown in submerged cultivation...
- Nutritional factors determining sclerotial formation of Polyporus umbellatusY Y Liu
Laboratory of Medicinal Fungi, Institute of Medicinal Plants, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, China
Lett Appl Microbiol 49:283-8. 2009..To find out which nutritional condition is the determining factor for sclerotial formation of Polyporus umbellatus...
- Indole compounds in fruiting bodies of some selected Macromycetes species and in their mycelia cultured in vitroB Muszynska
Department of Pharmaceutical Botany, Jagiellonian University, Collegium Medicum, Krakow, Poland
Pharmazie 64:479-80. 2009..Contents of the compounds investigated varied widely, from 0.182 to 2.851 mg/100g d.w. in fruiting bodies and from 0.322 to 2.096 mg/100g d.w. in biomass from in vitro cultures, respectively...
- Role of the fungal mycelium in the retention of radiocaesium in forest soilsMykhaylo M Vinichuk
Department of General Ecology, University of Agriculture and Ecology, Stary Blvd 7, 10001, Zhytomyr, Ukraine
J Environ Radioact 78:77-92. 2005..In fruit bodies of mycorrhizal fungi, 68% of the total 137Cs inventory was found to be water soluble at room temperature and 93% at 80 degrees C...
- Carbohydrate and amino acid metabolism in Tuber borchii mycelium during glucose utilization: a (13)C NMR studyPaola Ceccaroli
Istituto di Chimica Biologica Giorgio Fornaini, Universita degli Studi di Urbino, Via A Saffi, 2, 61029 PU, Urbino, Italy
Fungal Genet Biol 39:168-75. 2003The metabolism of [1-13C]glucose in the vegetative mycelium of the ectomycorrhizal ascomycete Tuber borchii was studied in order to characterize the biochemical pathways for the assimilation of glucose and amino acid biosynthesis...
- A new cytotoxic agent from solid-state fermented mycelium of Antrodia camphorataTzong Huei Lee
Graduate Institute of Pharmacognosy, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Planta Med 73:1412-5. 2007Antroquinonol ( 1), an ubiquinone derivative, was isolated from the solid-state fermented mycelium of Antrodia camphorata (Polyporaceae, Aphyllophorales), a parasitic fungus indigenous to Taiwan...
- Phosphoribosylamidotransferase, the first enzyme for purine de novo synthesis, is required for conidiation in the sclerotial mycoparasite Coniothyrium minitansLi Qin
State Key Laboratory of Agricultural Microbiology, Huazhong Agricultural University, Wuhan 430070, Hubei Province, China
Fungal Genet Biol 48:956-65. 2011..Furthermore, when dual cultured with its host, this mutant produced conidia in the host mycelium and on the sclerotia of S. sclerotiorum, but not in dead mycelium or on dead sclerotia, suggesting that C...
- Secretome of the free-living mycelium from the ectomycorrhizal basidiomycete Laccaria bicolorDelphine Vincent
INRA, UMR1202 BIOGECO, Cestas, France
J Proteome Res 11:157-71. 2012..We analyzed the extracellular proteins secreted in growth medium by free-living mycelium of L. bicolor as a proxy for its saprotrophic phase...
- A quantitative view of the morphological phases of Paracoccidioides brasiliensis using proteomicsTereza C V Rezende
Laboratorio de Biologia Molecular, Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidade Federal de Goias, Goiania, Goias, Brazil
J Proteomics 75:572-87. 2011..The analysis of the functional categories to which these proteins belong provided an integrated view of the metabolic reorganization during the morphogenesis of P. brasiliensis...
- Involvement of an alternative oxidase in oxidative stress and mycelium-to-yeast differentiation in Paracoccidioides brasiliensisVicente P Martins
Departamento de Analises Clinicas, Toxicologicas e Bromatologicas, Faculdade de Ciencias Farmaceuticas de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Av Café, S N, 14040 903 Ribeirao Preto, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Eukaryot Cell 10:237-48. 2011..brasiliensis...
- Gene expression analysis of Paracoccidioides brasiliensis transition from conidium to yeast cellAna M Garcia
Unidad de Biología Celular y Molecular Corporación para Investigaciones Biológicas, Medellin, Colombia
Med Mycol 48:147-54. 2010..This is the first report identifying genes expressed during the C-Y transition process, the initial step required to understand the natural history of P. brasiliensis conidia induced infection...
- Growth, compatible solute and salt accumulation of five mycorrhizal fungal species grown over a range of NaCl concentrationsG Bois
Centre de recherche en biologie forestière, Pavillon C E Marchand, Universite Laval, Quebec, Canada
Mycorrhiza 16:99-109. 2006..The basidiomycete species accumulated mainly mannitol and/or proline in response to increasing concentrations of NaCl...
- The cAMP pathway is important for controlling the morphological switch to the pathogenic yeast form of Paracoccidioides brasiliensisDaliang Chen
Centre for Infectious Diseases, Wolfson Research Institute, School of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, University of Durham Queen s Campus, Stockton on Tees TS17 6BH, UK
Mol Microbiol 65:761-79. 2007Paracoccidioides brasiliensis is a human pathogenic fungus that switches from a saprobic mycelium to a pathogenic yeast...
- Comparison of transcription of multiple genes during mycelia transition to yeast cells of Paracoccidioides brasiliensis reveals insights to fungal differentiation and pathogenesisJuliana Alves Parente
Laboratorio de Biologia Molecular, ICB II, Campus II, Universidade Federal de Goias, 74001 970 Goiania, Goias, Brazil
Mycopathologia 165:259-73. 2008..related to protein synthesis and to protein folding/modification/destination expressed during morphogenesis from mycelium to yeast...
- Phosphorus availability influences elemental uptake in the mycorrhizal fungus Glomus intraradices, as revealed by particle-induced X-ray emission analysisPål Axel Olsson
Department of Plant Ecology and Systematics, Ecology Building, Lund University, SE 223 62 Lund, Sweden
Appl Environ Microbiol 74:4144-8. 2008..We concluded that the availability of P influences the uptake and accumulation of several elements in spores. It is demonstrated that PIXE analysis is a powerful tool for quantitative analysis of elemental accumulation in fungal mycelia...
- The 4-acetylantroquinonol B isolated from mycelium of Antrodia cinnamomea inhibits proliferation of hepatoma cellsYu Wei Lin
Institute of Food Science and Technology, National Taiwan University, No 1 Sec 4 Roosevelt Road, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
J Sci Food Agric 90:1739-44. 2010..In this study, a 5-ton fermenter was used to prepare sufficient mycelium of A. cinnamomea for active compound isolation and identification.
- Prevention of type 1 diabetes by immature dendritic cells treated with an ethanol extract of Paecilomyces hepiali Chen myceliumChengliang Zhang
Department of Pharmacology, Tongji Pharmaceutical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
Methods Find Exp Clin Pharmacol 30:421-9. 2008..Paecilomyces hepiali Chen (PHC) mycelium, as a substitute for Cordyceps, has been used extensively as an immunomodulator to treat numerous diseases...
- Transcriptional profiles of the human pathogenic fungus Paracoccidioides brasiliensis in mycelium and yeast cellsMaria Sueli S Felipe
Departamento de Biologia Celular, Universidade de Brasilia, 70910 900, Brasilia, DF, Brazil
J Biol Chem 280:24706-14. 2005..This report depicts the results of the analysis of 6,022 assembled groups from mycelium and yeast phase expressed sequence tags, covering about 80% of the estimated genome of this dimorphic, thermo-..
- New constituents with iNOS inhibitory activity from mycelium of Antrodia camphorataSien Sing Yang
Department of Internal Medicine, Cathy General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Planta Med 75:512-6. 2009In continuing our investigation on the bioactive constituents of mycelium of Antrodia camphorata, antroquinonol B (1), 4-acetyl-antroquinonol B (2), 2,3-(methylenedioxy)-6-methylbenzene-1,4-diol (3) and 2,4-dimethoxy-6-methylbenzene-1,3-..
- Tit for tat? A mycorrhizal fungus accumulates phosphorus under low plant carbon availabilityEdith C Hammer
Microbial Ecology, Department of Biology, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 76:236-44. 2011..Other elements such as potassium and chorine were also accumulated, but to a lesser extent, while no accumulation of iron or manganese was found. Our results suggest a functional linkage between C and P exchange...
- Microencapsulated mycelium-bound tannase from Aspergillus niger: an efficient catalyst for esterification of propyl gallate in organic solventsXiao Wei Yu
Zhejiang University, College of Life Science, Yuquan Campus, Hangzhou 310027, P R China
Appl Biochem Biotechnol 126:177-87. 2005Microencapsulated Aspergillus niger with mycelium-bound tannase activity was employed to investigate the esterification of propyl gallate from gallic acid and propanol in organic solvents...
- 1,3-β-d-Glucan synthase of Paracoccidioides brasiliensis: recombinant protein, expression and cytolocalization in the yeast and mycelium phasesPatrícia Kott Tomazett
Departamento de Bioquimica e Biologia Molecular, Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidade Federal de Goias, Goiania, GO, Brazil
Fungal Biol 114:809-16. 2010Paracoccidioides brasiliensis is a thermo-dimorphic human pathogenic fungus that in the mycelium phase lives at 23°C in environment and in the yeast phase at 37°C in the host tissues. In P...
- Fine-scale distribution of pine ectomycorrhizas and their extramatrical myceliumDavid R Genney
School of Biological Sciences, Plant and Soil Science, University of Aberdeen, St Machar Drive, Aberdeen AB24 3UU, UK
New Phytol 170:381-90. 2006..to relate their abundance and distribution as mycorrhizas to their abundance and distribution as extramatrical mycelium (EMM). We divided each of four 20 cm x 20 cm x 2 cm slices of pine forest soil into 100 cubes of 2 cm x 2 cm...
- Growth-inhibitory effects of a beta-glucan from the mycelium of Poria cocos on human breast carcinoma MCF-7 cells: cell-cycle arrest and apoptosis inductionMei Zhang
Department of Biology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, P R China
Oncol Rep 15:637-43. 2006..cocos beta-glucan still needs further investigation, this study provides preliminary insights into its mode of action and perspectives of its development as a water-soluble anti-tumor agent...
- The influence of culture conditions on the biosynthesis of secondary metabolites by Penicillium verrucosum DierckBarbara Casellato Elias
Departamento de Ciencias Farmaceuticas, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Avenida do Cafe s n, CEP 14040 903 Ribeirao Preto, SP Brazil
Microbiol Res 161:273-80. 2006..verrucosum, and the extract trypanocidal activities...
- Ecological aspects of mycorrhizal symbiosis: with special emphasis on the functional diversity of interactions involving the extraradical myceliumRoger D Finlay
Department of Forest Mycology and Pathology, Uppsala BioCenter, SLU, Box 7026, Uppsala SE 750 07, Sweden
J Exp Bot 59:1115-26. 2008..In addition to increasing the nutrient absorptive surface area of their host plant root systems, the extraradical mycelium of mycorrhizal fungi provides a direct pathway for translocation of photosynthetically derived carbon to ..
- Implication of mycelium-associated laccase from Irpex lacteus in the decolorization of synthetic dyesK Svobodová
Institute of Microbiology, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Videnska 1083, 142 20 Prague, Czech Republic
Bioresour Technol 99:463-71. 2008..that this type of dye decolorization is mainly related to a laccase-like enzyme activity associated with fungal mycelium. In its bound form, the enzyme detected showed a pH optimum of 3...
- Mycelium-bound lipase production from Aspergillus niger MYA 135, and its potential applications for the transesterification of ethanolVeronica Leticia Colin
PROIMI CONICET, Tucuman, Argentina
J Basic Microbiol 51:236-42. 2011..To this end, the effect of environmental conditions on mycelium-bound lipase production from this strain was studied, when cultured either in the absence or presence of 2% olive ..
- Regulatory mechanism of Cordyceps sinensis mycelium on mouse Leydig cell steroidogenesisChih Chao Hsu
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, 1 Ta Hsueh Road, 701, Tainan, Taiwan
FEBS Lett 543:140-3. 2003We demonstrate the mechanism by which Cordyceps sinensis (CS) mycelium regulates Leydig cell steroidogenesis...
- The North American mushroom competitor, Trichoderma aggressivum f. aggressivum, produces antifungal compounds in mushroom compost that inhibit mycelial growth of the commercial mushroom Agaricus bisporusOliver Albert Krupke
Department of Biological Sciences, Brock University, St Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Mycol Res 107:1467-75. 2003..bisporus growth, is predominant in infested compost and likely has a inhibitory effect on the mycelia present in mushroom compost, resulting in devastating crop loss...
- Tracking mycorrhizas and extraradical mycelium of the edible fungus Lactarius deliciosus under field competition with Rhizopogon sppSara Hortal
Centre de Cabrils, IRTA, Ctra Cabrils, Cabrils, Barcelona, Spain
Mycorrhiza 18:69-77. 2008..luteolus, and control-control. Eight months after transplantation, root colonization and extraradical soil mycelium for each fungal species were quantified...
- In vivo stimulatory effect of Cordyceps sinensis mycelium and its fractions on reproductive functions in male mouseYuan Li Huang
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, 1, Ta Hsueh Road, Tainan, Taiwan 70101, ROC
Life Sci 75:1051-62. 2004..05). In general, CS, F2 and F3 didn't have considerable effect on the weights of reproductive organs. Taken together, these studies illustrate that CS and its fractions significantly stimulated in vivo mouse testosterone production...
- Identifying phase-specific genes in the fungal pathogen Histoplasma capsulatum using a genomic shotgun microarrayLena Hwang
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of California Berkeley, 94720, USA
Mol Biol Cell 14:2314-26. 2003..Unexpectedly, differential regulation of the site of transcript initiation was also observed in the two phases. These findings identify genes that may determine some of the major characteristics of the mycelial and yeast phases...
- Characterization of a protein kinase C gene in Sporothrix schenckii and its expression during the yeast-to-mycelium transitionE Aquino-Piñero
Department of Microbiology and Medical Zoology, University of Puerto Rico, San Juan 00936 5067, USA
Med Mycol 40:185-99. 2002The yeast-to-mycelium transition in Sporothrix schenckii has been shown to respond to protein kinase C (PKC) effectors, indicating the involvement of PKC in this regulation...
- Genomic DNA microarray comparison of gene expression patterns in Paracoccidioides brasiliensis mycelia and yeasts in vitroJomar Patricio Monteiro
California Institute for Medical Research, San Jose, CA, USA
Microbiology 155:2795-808. 2009..These findings expand our knowledge of the different morphological forms of P. brasiliensis during growth in culture...
- A gene repertoire for nitrogen transporters in Laccaria bicolorEva Lucic
Research Unit INRA UHP 1136 Tree microbe Interactions, Nancy University, BP 239, F 54506 Vandoeuvre les Nancy Cedex, France
New Phytol 180:343-64. 2008..This work represents a major advance in the establishment of a transportome blueprint at a symbiotic interface, which will guide future experiments...
- Adjuvant effect of water-soluble polysaccharide (PAP) from the mycelium of Polyporus albicans on the immune responses to ovalbumin in miceYongxu Sun
Department of Pharmacology, Qiqihar Medical University, Qiqihar 161042, China
Vaccine 26:3932-6. 2008In our previous work, a new water-soluble polysaccharide (PAP) from the mycelium of Polyporus albicans was identified for the first time...
- Polysaccharides of basidiomycetes. alkali-soluble polysaccharides from the mycelium of white rot fungus Ganoderma lucidum (Curt.: Fr.) P. KarstM S Evsenko
Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, 119991, Russia
Biochemistry (Mosc) 74:533-42. 2009Two polysaccharides were isolated from submergedly cultured mycelium of the basidiomycete Ganoderma lucidum by extraction with alkali followed by fractionation with Fehling reagent...
- Light accelerates the splicing of srh1 homologue gene transcripts in aerial mycelia of Trichoderma viridePeter Vargovic
Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology, Slovak University of Technology, Bratislava, Slovakia
FEMS Microbiol Lett 254:240-4. 2006..Furthermore, they suggested that mRNA processing could represent another regulation level of gene expression by light during the photo-induced conidiation in T. viride...
- Evidence for the role of calcineurin in morphogenesis and calcium homeostasis during mycelium-to-yeast dimorphism of Paracoccidioides brasiliensisClaudia B L Campos
Instituto de Pesquisa e Desenvolvimento, Universidade do Vale do Paraiba, Urbanova, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Eukaryot Cell 7:1856-64. 2008..The dimorphic transition from mycelium to yeast (M-Y) is triggered by a temperature shift from 25 degrees C to 37 degrees C and is critical for ..
- Photostimulation of Hypocrea atroviridis growth occurs due to a cross-talk of carbon metabolism, blue light receptors and response to oxidative stressMartina A Friedl
Research Area of Gene Technology and Applied Biochemistry, Institute of Chemical Engineering, Vienna University of Technology, Vienna, Austria
Microbiology 154:1229-41. 2008..We further deduce that this process involves oxidative stress response and the two blue light receptor proteins BLR-1 and BLR-2, the former playing the major role...
- Relationship of Antibiotic Production and Development in Streptomyces coelicolorAMY GEHRING; Fiscal Year: 2010..secondary metabolites concurrently with broader developmental events that result in the generation of an aerial mycelium on the colony surface whose filamentous cells ultimately sporulate...
- Ras signaling in C.neoformans virulence and developmentJ Alspaugh; Fiscal Year: 2002..Among fungi, Ras elements regulate many differentiation events including yeast-mycelium transitions...
- Spore Dispersal and Germination in StachybotrysNICHOLAS MONEY; Fiscal Year: 2007..Students involved in this work will benefit by gaining extremely valuable laboratory experience, and by making important contributions to our understanding of the biology of Stachybotrys. ..
- Genetic analysis of Cryptococcus neoformans virulenceJoseph Heitman; Fiscal Year: 2009..These studies will enable a genome-wide definition of the gene set contributing to virulence of this common human fungal pathogen. ..
- GPCR signaling cascades in Cryptococcus neoformansJoseph Heitman; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Genetics of mating and fruiting in Cryptococcus neoformansJoseph Heitman; Fiscal Year: 2010..neoformans and C. gattii applicable to development of treatment approaches, diagnostics, or environmental interventions to reduce exposure to infectious spores. ..
- Role of Calcineurin in Fungal VirulenceJoseph Heitman; Fiscal Year: 2009..Importantly, this pathway can be targeted for therapeutic intervention using non-immunosuppressive calcineurin inhibitors that retain antifungal activity and synergistic drug combinations that we have discovered. ..
- Enzyme Targets-Sterol Synthesis-Opportunistic PathogensWILLIAM NES; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results from these studies will facilitate the design of therapeutic strategies aimed to provide species-specific discrimination of inhibition in the ergosterol biosynthetic pathway. ..