Summary: A large heterogeneous group of mostly alpha-hemolytic streptococci. They colonize the respiratory tract at birth and generally have a low degree of pathogenicity. This group of species includes STREPTOCOCCUS MITIS; STREPTOCOCCUS MUTANS; STREPTOCOCCUS ORALIS; STREPTOCOCCUS SANGUIS; STREPTOCOCCUS SOBRINUS; and the STREPTOCOCCUS MILLERI GROUP. The latter are often beta-hemolytic and commonly produce invasive pyogenic infections including brain and abdominal abscesses.
Publications191 found, 100 shown here
- Viridans streptococci in endocarditis and neutropenic sepsis: biofilm formation and effects of antibioticsE Presterl
Department of Medicine I, Division of Infectious Diseases, Medical University of Vienna, Waehringer Guertel 18 20, 1090 Vienna, Austria
J Antimicrob Chemother 55:45-50. 2005..This study examined the in vitro potency for biofilm formation of clinical VGS bloodstream isolates, and the effects of antibiotics on these biofilms...
- Rapid identification of viridans streptococci by mass spectrometric discriminationC Friedrichs
Institute for Medical Microbiology and Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases, University of Leipzig, Liebigstr 24, D 04105 Leipzig, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 45:2392-7. 2007b>Viridans streptococci (VS) are responsible for several systemic diseases, such as endocarditis, abscesses, and septicemia...
- Development of broad-range polymerase chain reaction (PCR) bacterial identification in diagnosis of infective endocarditisTomasz Hryniewiecki
National Institute of Cardiology, Warsaw, Poland
J Heart Valve Dis 11:870-4. 2002..The study aim was to identify the value of broad-range bacterial PCR in infective endocarditis (IE) of bacterial etiology, and to determine its specificity and sensitivity...
- Recent increase in enterococci, viridans streptococci, Pseudomonas spp. and multiresistant strains among haematological patients, with a negative impact on outcome. Results of a 3-year surveillance study at a single institutionChiara Cattaneo
UO Ematologia, Spedali Civili, Universit à di Brescia, Brescia, Italy
Scand J Infect Dis 42:324-32. 2010..9% of MDI. A significant decrease in Staphylococcus aureus (p < 0.001) and an increase in enterococci, viridans streptococci and Pseudomonas spp. (p = 0.004) were observed during the second period...
- Viridans streptococci bacteremia in children with malignancy: relevance of species identification and penicillin susceptibilityEntesar Husain
Division of Infectious and Immunologic Diseases, BC s Children Hospital, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Pediatr Infect Dis J 24:563-6. 2005Our aim was to determine the significance of species identification and penicillin susceptibility of viridans streptococci in children with malignancies...
- Viridans streptococci causing community acquired pneumoniaM Freitas
Federal University of Para, UFPA, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Arch Dis Child 91:779-80. 2006..of age, presenting to the paediatric emergency room with clinical and radiological findings of pneumonia, viridans streptococci were isolated in 10/33 positive haemocultures as the only microorganism...
- Viridans streptococci isolated by culture from blood of cancer patients: clinical and microbiologic analysis of 50 casesXiang Y Han
Section of Clinical Microbiology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, 77030, USA
J Clin Microbiol 44:160-5. 2006..mitis (P = 0.007). These results suggest that S. mitis is the most common cause of viridans streptococcal bacteremia in cancer patients and is more resistant to antibiotics than other species...
- Glucosyltransferases of viridans streptococci are modulins of interleukin-6 induction in infective endocarditisChia Tung Shun
Graduate Institute of Microbiology, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, No 1 Jen Ai Road, 1st Section, Room 713, Taipei, Taiwan
Infect Immun 73:3261-70. 2005The glucosyltransferases (GTFs) of viridans streptococci, common pathogens of infective endocarditis, are extracellular proteins that convert sucrose into exopolysaccharides and glucans...
- Antimicrobial susceptibility patterns and macrolide resistance genes of beta-hemolytic viridans group streptococci in a tertiary Korean hospitalYoung Uh
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Yonsei University Wonju College of Medicine, Wonju, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 22:791-4. 2007..The resistance rates to erythromycin and clindamycin of beta-hemolytic VGS seemed to be lower than those of non-beta-hemolytic VGS in our hospital, although cMLSB phenotype carrying erm(B) was dominant in beta-hemolytic VGS...
- Identification of clinically relevant viridans streptococci by an oligonucleotide arrayChao Chien Chen
Department of Medical Laboratory Science and Biotechnology, School of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, 1 University Rd, Tainan 701, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Clin Microbiol 43:1515-21. 2005b>Viridans streptococci (VS) are common etiologic agents of subacute infective endocarditis and are capable of causing a variety of pyogenic infections. Many species of VS are difficult to differentiate by phenotypic traits...
- Secretory IgA, salivary peroxidase, and catalase-mediated microbicidal activity during hydrogen peroxide catabolism in viridans streptococci: pathogen coaggregationY Uehara
Department of General Medicine, Kochi Medical School, Kohasu Oko cho Nankoku, Japan
J Infect Dis 194:98-107. 2006b>Viridans streptococci can kill methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) through the production of hydrogen peroxide (H2O2). However, several hundred viridans streptococci cells are necessary to kill 1 cfu of MRSA...
- Macrolide resistance can be transferred by conjugation from viridans streptococci to Streptococcus pyogenesMaria Jonsson
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Microbiology, Uppsala University Biomedical Centre, Box 582, SE 751 23 Uppsala, Sweden
Int J Antimicrob Agents 28:101-3. 2006..We present data indicating conjugative transfer of the mef(E) gene from viridans streptococci to the pathogen Streptococcus pyogenes...
- Accuracy of phenotypic and genotypic testing for identification of Streptococcus pneumoniae and description of Streptococcus pseudopneumoniae sp. novJudy C Arbique
Department of Microbiology, Division of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
J Clin Microbiol 42:4686-96. 2004..pneumoniae. Genetic tests for pneumolysin (ply) and manganese-dependent superoxide dismutase (sodA) and identification tests with a commercial probe, AccuProbe Pneumococcus, do not discriminate between the new species and S. pneumoniae...
- Antimicrobial susceptibility patterns and macrolide resistance genes of viridans group streptococci from blood cultures in KoreaYoung Uh
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Yonsei University Wonju College of Medicine, Ilsan dong 162, Wonju, Kangwon Do, South Korea
J Antimicrob Chemother 53:1095-7. 2004..Our aim was to study the antimicrobial susceptibilities and macrolide resistance mechanisms of viridans group streptococci (VGS) in a Korean tertiary hospital...
- Use of housekeeping gene sequencing for species identification of viridans streptococciPattarachai Kiratisin
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok 10700, Thailand
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 51:297-301. 2005..the sequencing of 2 housekeeping genes, zwf and gki, to identify members of the mitis-sanguinis group of viridans streptococci to the species level, with a better discrimination compared with 16S rDNA sequencing...
- Effect of benzathine penicillin treatment on antibiotic susceptibility of viridans streptococci in oral flora of patients receiving secondary prophylaxis after rheumatic feverEfraim Bilavsky
Department of Pediatrics C, Schneider Children s Medical Center of Israel, Petah Tiqwa, Israel
J Infect 56:244-8. 2008To assess the level of antibiotic resistance of viridans streptococci in the oral flora of children with a history of rheumatic fever, receiving long-term monthly intramuscular benzathine penicillin G prophylaxis.
- Antibacterial activity of yoghurt against viridans streptococci in vitroS Petti
G Sanarelli Department of Public Health Sciences, Sapienza University, Piazzale Aldo Moro 5, I 00185 Rome, Italy
Arch Oral Biol 53:985-90. 2008..It is not clear whether this decrease is due to the bactericidal activity of yoghurt or other mechanisms. The present study investigated the differences in susceptibility to yoghurt between several strains of viridans streptococci.
- [Clinical study and analysis of risk factors for mortality in 86 cases of infectious endocarditis in children and adolescents in Argentina: 1988-2000]Hugo Paganini
Servicio de Control Epidemiológico e Infectología, Hospital de Pediatría Profesor Dr Juan P Garrahan, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 22:455-61. 2004..IE is a rare infection in children. Scarce reports with large number of patients are published...
- Effects of tigecycline, linezolid and vancomycin on biofilms of viridans streptococci isolates from patients with endocarditisE Presterl
Department of Medicine I, Division of Infectious Diseases and Tropical Medicine, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Int J Artif Organs 30:798-804. 2007..We investigate the effects of tigecycline, linezolid and vancomycin on biofilms of viridans group streptococci (VGS) isolated from patients with definite native or prosthetic valve endocarditis...
- Severe mitral regurgitation due to infective endocarditis: do not miss the "hole"Yoav Turgeman
Department of Cardiology, Haemek Medical Center, Afula, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 6:181-2. 2004
- Infective endocarditis from Streptococcus viridans associated with colonic carcinoma: a case reportChih Yuan Lin
Department of Surgery, Tri Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Card Surg 23:263-5. 2008..We describe a 62-year-old male with adenocarcinoma of the sigmoid colon with the presentation of infective endocarditis due to infection by Streptococcus viridans, and we also report on the condition's successful treatment...
- Impact of amoxicillin prophylaxis on the incidence, nature, and duration of bacteremia in children after intubation and dental proceduresPeter B Lockhart
Department of Oral Medicine, Carolinas Medical Center, 1000 Blythe Blvd, PO Box 32861, Charlotte, NC 28232 2861, USA
Circulation 109:2878-84. 2004....
- Antimicrobial susceptibility of viridans group streptococcal blood isolates to eight antimicrobial agentsAndrew Smith
Infection Research Group, Glasgow Dental Hospital and School, 378 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow, UK
Scand J Infect Dis 36:259-63. 2004..These findings are of concern in the light of spread of antibiotic resistance genes from S. oralis and S. mitis to the more invasive pneumococcus...
- Streptococcus sinensis may react with Lancefield group F antiserumPatrick C Y Woo
Department of Microbiology, The University of Hong Kong, University Pathology Building, Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong
J Med Microbiol 53:1083-8. 2004..Among 302 patients with bacteraemia caused by viridans streptococci over a 6-year period, three cases were caused by Streptococcus sinensis (type strain HKU4T, HKU5 and HKU6)...
- [Phenotypes and genetic mechanisms of resistance to macrolides and lincosamides in viridans group streptococci]F Artiles Campelo
Servicio de Microbiologia, Hospital Universitario de Gran Canaria Dr Negrin, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Rev Esp Quimioter 20:317-22. 2007..Coresistance with penicillin was low. These results suggest that screening for macrolide resistance in VGS would be desirable because of the potential transmission of resistance genes to other pathogenic streptococci...
- Jehovah's Witnesses requiring complex urgent cardiothoracic surgeryRichard L Holt
Division of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, University of Florida College of Medicine, Health Science Center, Gainesville, FL 32610 0286, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 78:695-7. 2004..Cardiopulmonary bypass management, meticulous hemostatic operative technique, and pharmacologic support of hemostasis and erythropoiesis permit this complex surgery...
- Distribution of subclasses mefA and mefE of the mefA gene among clinical isolates of macrolide-resistant (M-phenotype) Streptococcus pneumoniae, viridans group streptococci, and Streptococcus pyogenesCarmen Ardanuy
Servicio de Microbiologia Hospital de Bellvitge, Feixa Llarga s n, 08907 L Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona, Spain
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 49:827-9. 2005..mefA gene among 116 M-phenotype streptococci was as follows: pneumococci (38 strains had mefE and 4 mefA), viridans streptococci (49 mefE and 1 mefA), and Streptococcus pyogenes (24 mefA)...
- Prevention of peritransplantation viridans streptococcal bacteremia with early vancomycin administration: a single-center observational cohort studyDana Jaffe
Department of Medicine, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Clin Infect Dis 39:1625-32. 2004..Prevention of this serious complication is therefore a high priority. The objective of this study was to evaluate the effect of early vancomycin administration on rates and outcomes of VSB...
- Characteristics of Streptococcus bovis endocarditis and its differences with Streptococcus viridans endocarditisJ Corredoira
Infectious Disease Unit, Hospital Xeral Calde, Calle Severo Ochoa S N, Lugo 27004, Spain
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 27:285-91. 2008..0001; clindamycin 67% vs. 11%, p < 0.0001; cotrimoxazole 77% vs. 30.5%, p < 0.0001, respectively. IE due to S. bovis is an emergent disease in our environment, presenting different characteristics to those produced by SVG...
- Reduced susceptibility to penicillin of viridans group streptococci in the oral cavity of patients with haematological diseaseK Westling
Division of Infectious Diseases, Karolinska Institutet, Huddinge University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Clin Microbiol Infect 10:899-903. 2004....
- Association between rural residency, group D streptococcal endocarditis and colon cancer?J Corredoira
Clin Microbiol Infect 14:190. 2008
- Infection of the post-pneumonectomy space after dental proceduresC A Dietl
J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 45:521-2. 2004
- [Clinical, echocardiographic and prognostic profile of Streptococcus viridans left-sided endocarditis]Javier Lopez
Servicio de Cardiologia, Instituto de Ciencias del Corazón ICICOR, Hospital Clinico Universitario, Valladolid, Espana
Rev Esp Cardiol 58:153-8. 2005....
- Viridans group streptococcal infections among children with cancer and the importance of emerging antibiotic resistanceLauren Bruckner
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Hematology Oncology HSCT, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, NY, USA
Semin Pediatr Infect Dis 17:153-60. 2006....
- Endocarditis from Staphylococcus aureusMortimer Lorber
JAMA 294:2972; author reply 2972-3. 2005
- Infective endocarditis complicated by large aortic pseudoaneurysm after cardiac surgeryNuno Jorge Pelicano
Cardiology Department, Santa Marta Hospital, Lisbon, Portugal
Eur J Echocardiogr 7:394-7. 2006..Six months later a huge aortic pseudoaneurysm is diagnosed and she is submitted to a second uneventful surgery. A review is done for the significant features with discussion of diagnosis and therapy...
- [Infective endocarditis in an internal medicine ward]Alvaro Hermida Ameijeiras
Servicio de Medicina Interna, Hospital Clinico, Santiago de Compostela A Coruña, Espana
Rev Med Chil 135:11-6. 2007..Due to the increasing number of intravenous drug users, subjects with immune deficiencies or with prosthetic valves, infective endocarditis (IE) continues to be prevalent and to have a high mortality...
- Garenoxacin treatment of experimental endocarditis caused by viridans group streptococciPaloma Anguita-Alonso
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 200 First St SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:1263-7. 2006....
- Controversies in antibiotic choices for odontogenic infectionsPanagiotis K Stefanopoulos
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 101:697-8. 2006
- Clindamycin in dentistry: is it an effective prophylaxis for endocarditis?Inmaculada Tomás
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 101:698-700. 2006
- Conflicting adviceD Shanson
Br Dent J 201:613-4; author reply 615. 2006
- Emergence of quinolone resistance among viridans group streptococci isolated from the oropharynx of neutropenic peripheral blood stem cell transplant patients receiving quinolone antimicrobial prophylaxisR M Prabhu
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 24:832-8. 2005..Quinolone-resistant viridans group streptococci are frequently found in the oropharynx of neutropenic patients after a brief (median, 8 days) exposure to gatifloxacin or moxifloxacin...
- High frequency of isolation of antibiotic-resistant oral Viridans streptococci from children in KuwaitV O Rotimi
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, Safat
J Chemother 17:493-501. 2005..The difference in the susceptibilities between the species underscores the importance of accurate-identification and the need for surveillance of antimicrobial resistance among clinical isolates in our hospitals...
- Macrolide resistance mechanisms and in vitro susceptibility patterns of viridans group streptococci isolated from blood culturesAlper Ergin
School of Health Services, Hacettepe University, 06100, Ankara, Turkey
J Antimicrob Chemother 57:139-41. 2006..Our aim was to study the macrolide resistance mechanisms and antimicrobial susceptibilities of viridans group streptococci (VGS) isolated from blood cultures...
- Perspectives on the 2007 AHA Endocarditis Prevention GuidelinesThomas J Pallasch
University of Southern California School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, USA
J Calif Dent Assoc 35:507-13. 2007..Presented in this article is a summary of the guidelines as well as commentary on the process...
- [Role of some representatives of opportunistic microflora in development of secondary infection in patients with pulmonary tuberculosis]L V Ivushkina
Antibiot Khimioter 49:7-9. 2004..The data on resistance of the strains of Streptococcus viridans group isolated from the pulmonary tuberculosis patients to various antimicrobials including new fluoroquinolones are presented...
- Streptococcus viridans endocarditis from tongue piercingScott D Lick
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555 0528, USA
J Emerg Med 29:57-9. 2005..He was treated with a 6-week course of intravenous antibiotics, but eventually required a Ross procedure for progressive aortic insufficiency...
- Temporal trends in infective endocarditis: a population-based study in Olmsted County, MinnesotaImad M Tleyjeh
Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn, USA
JAMA 293:3022-8. 2005..Limited data exist regarding population-based epidemiologic changes in incidence of infective endocarditis (IE)...
- Clinical features and complications of viridans streptococci bloodstream infection in pediatric hemato-oncology patientsWan Ting Huang
Department of Pediatrics, National Taiwan University Hospital and National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
J Microbiol Immunol Infect 40:349-54. 2007b>Viridans streptococci (VS) are part of the normal flora of humans, but are fast emerging as pathogens causing bacteremia in neutropenic patients...
- Infective endocarditis due to penicillin-resistant viridans group streptococciBettina Knoll
Department of Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Clin Infect Dis 44:1585-92. 2007..Because of the paucity of data, it has been difficult to define optimal treatment regimens for this syndrome. Thus, recommendations for therapy have largely been made on the basis of consensus opinion...
- mef(A), mef(E) and a new mef allele in macrolide-resistant Streptococcus spp. isolates from NorwayMaria Sangvik
Reference Centre for Detection of Antimicrobial Resistance, Department of Microbiology, University Hospital of North Norway, University of Tromsø, N 9037 Tromsø, Norway
J Antimicrob Chemother 56:841-6. 2005To type mef genes in a nationwide collection of clinical isolates of Streptococcus pneumoniae and Streptococcus pyogenes as well as pharyngeal carrier strains of viridans streptococci in Norway.
- Detection of the aminoglycosidestreptothricin resistance gene cluster ant(6)-sat4-aph(3 ')-III in commensal viridans group streptococciPaula Cerdá
Department of Microbiology, Preventive Medicine and Public Health, Zaragoza University School of Medicine, Spain
Int Microbiol 10:57-60. 2007..The presence of this resistance gene cluster in commensal streptococci suggests an exchange of resistance genes between these bacteria and enterococci or staphylococci...
- Successful ceftriaxone therapy of endocarditis due to penicillin non-susceptible viridans streptococciSamuel A Shelburne
Department of Medicine, Section of Infectious Diseases, Baylor College of Medicine, N 1319, BCM 286, 1 Baylor Plaza, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Infect 54:e99-101. 2007b>Viridans streptococci are a major cause of infective endocarditis, and penicillin non-susceptibility is increasing in these organisms...
- Predictors of viridans streptococcal shock syndrome in bacteremic children with cancer and stem-cell transplant recipientsAdam Gassas
Department of Pediatrics, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Oncol 22:1222-7. 2004....
- Nosocomial bloodstream infections due to viridans streptococci in haematological and non-haematological patients: species distribution and antimicrobial resistanceOuti Lyytikainen
Departments of Infectious Disease Epidemiology and Microbiology, National Public Health Institute, Mannerheimintie 166, 00300 Helsinki
J Antimicrob Chemother 53:631-4. 2004We studied the species distribution and antimicrobial susceptibility of viridans streptococci (VS) isolates causing nosocomial bloodstream infections (BSIs) in Finnish hospitals.
- Susceptibility of viridans group streptococci isolated from dento-alveolar infections to eight antimicrobial agentsA J Smith
J Antimicrob Chemother 52:1045-6. 2003
- Visual diagnosis: a 14-year-old male who has fever and rashWilliam M Stauffer
Center for International Health and International Travel Clinic, Regions Hospital, Pediatric Emergency Medicine, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
Pediatr Rev 24:424-9. 2003
- Cardiovascular magnetic resonance imaging demonstrates mitral valve endocarditisBurkhard Sievers
Am J Med 115:681-2. 2003
- Gingivitis and toothbrushes: potential roles in viridans streptococcal bacteraemiaH F Kennedy
Department of Microbiology, Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Yorkhill NHS Trust, Glasgow, UK
J Infect 46:67-70. 2003..from an isolate from his mouth, suggesting that gingivitis may have provided a portal of entry for viridans streptococci into the bloodstream...
- Oral bacteria resistant to mercury and to antibiotics are present in children with no previous exposure to amalgam restorative materialsDerren Ready
Eastman Dental Hospital, University College London Hospitals NHS Trust, 256 Gray s Inn Road, WC1X 8LD, London, UK
FEMS Microbiol Lett 223:107-11. 2003....
- In vitro activity of telithromycin against viridans group streptococci and Streptococcus bovis isolated from blood: antimicrobial susceptibility patterns in different groups of speciesIciar Rodriguez-Avial
Servicio de Microbiologia Clinica, Hospital Clinico San Carlos, Plaza de Cristo Rey s n, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 49:820-3. 2005..Heterogeneity in the susceptibility patterns and macrolide resistance phenotypes and genotypes in the different groups of VGS was detected. We found seven telithromycin-resistant S. bovis isolates all harboring the erm(B) gene...
- Three cases of viridans group streptococcal bacteremia in children with febrile neutropenia and literature reviewVassiliki Danilatou
Department of Paediatric Haematology Oncology, University Hospital of Heraklion, Heraklion, Crete, Greece
Scand J Infect Dis 35:873-6. 2003..Prospective, randomized clinical trials of mouth antiseptics are needed to clarify the usefulness, if any, of such measures in the reduction of viridans group streptococcal bacteremia in this group of patients...
- The relative roles of transthoracic compared with transesophageal echocardiography in children with suspected infective endocarditisTilman Humpl
Department of Pediatrics, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Am Coll Cardiol 41:2068-71. 2003..The study evaluated the additional benefit of transesophageal echocardiography (TEE) versus transthoracic echocardiography (TTE) in pediatric cases with suspected bacterial endocarditis...
- Streptococcus viridans septicaemia: a comparison study in patients admitted to the departments of infectious diseases and haematology in a university hospitalKatarina Westling
Department of Infectious Diseases, Huddinge University Hospital, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Scand J Infect Dis 34:316-9. 2002Infective endocarditis caused by viridans streptococci is a well-described disease. Streptococcus viridans is also an important etiologic agent causing septicaemia in neutropenic patients with haematological diseases...
- Interleukin 1alpha increases the susceptibility of rabbits to experimental viridans streptococcal endocarditisJacob Dankert
Department of Medical Microbiology, Academic Medical Center, Meibergdreef 15, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Infect Immun 74:947-52. 2006..Leaving the catheter in place after challenge with viridans streptococci predisposed for experimental IE...
- Penicillin G-resistant viridans group streptococcal endocarditis and interpretation of the American Heart Association's Guidelines for the Treatment of Infective EndocarditisShigeki Fujitani
University of California Los Angeles UCLA Affiliated Infectious Diseases Fellowship Training Program, Veterans Affairs Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Los Angeles, CA 90073, USA
Clin Infect Dis 46:1064-6. 2008....
- Penicillin resistance in viridans streptococcal bacteremia is related with high mortalityAndrea Docze
Scand J Infect Dis 35:916-7. 2003
- Bacterial endocarditis complicating pregnancy: case report and systematic review of the literatureKatie Campuzano
Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine, FG 048, Farmington, CT 06030, USA
Arch Gynecol Obstet 268:251-5. 2003..We report a pregnancy complicated by a 3.5-cm infected vegetation of the tricuspid valve initially presenting as unilateral hip pain as well as systematic review of this entity...
- Bacteriology of external ocular infections in Aba, South Eastern NigeriaUdo Ahanna Ubani
Optometry, Abia State University, Uturu Abia State, Nigeria
Clin Exp Optom 92:482-9. 2009..Bacteria are microbial agents that frequently cause infections of the eye and possible loss of vision...
- Viridans streptococcal (Streptococcus intermedius) mitral valve subacute bacterial endocarditis (SBE) in a patient with mitral valve prolapse after a dental procedure: the importance of antibiotic prophylaxisBurke A Cunha
Infectious Disease Division, Winthrop University Hospital, Mineola, New York 11501, USA
Heart Lung 39:64-72. 2010..The most common organisms causing SBE are the viridans streptococci. Viridans streptococci differ in their propensity to cause SBE, which is related to the ability to adhere ..
- Optimisation of the prevention and treatment of bacterial endocarditisK A Taubert
Department of Science and Medicine, American Heart Association, Dallas, Texas 75231, USA
Drugs Aging 18:415-24. 2001..For oral, dental, respiratory tract, and oesophageal procedures (most often associated with viridans streptococci) the standard antibacterial regimen is oral amoxicillin...
- Epidemiology and antibiotic susceptibility of bacteria causing skin and soft tissue infections in the USA and Europe: a guide to appropriate antimicrobial therapyMark E Jones
Focus Technologies, Dwarsdijk 30, 3612AP Tienhoven, Netherlands
Int J Antimicrob Agents 22:406-19. 2003..agalactiae (20.7%, Germany to 10%, Italy and Spain), S. pyogenes (19.2%, France to 11.1%, USA) and viridans streptococci (25.7%, France to 14.1%, Germany). Vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus spp...
- Odontogenic bacteria in periodontal disease and resistance patterns to common antibiotics used as treatment and prophylaxis in odontology in SpainJ R Maestre
Department of Microbiology, Hospital Central de la Defensa Gomez Ulla, Madrid, Spain
Rev Esp Quimioter 20:61-7. 2007..38.9% F. nucleatum, 30% Capnocytophaga spp., and 10% Veillonella spp. In this study, amoxicillin-clavulanic acid was the most active antibiotic against all species tested, followed by metronidazole in the case of anaerobes...
- Antimicrobial susceptibility of major pathogens of orofacial odontogenic infections to 11 beta-lactam antibioticsT Kuriyama
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Kanazawa University Graduate School of Medical Science, Kanazawa, Japan
Oral Microbiol Immunol 17:285-9. 2002..The antimicrobial susceptibilities of viridans streptococci (n = 47), Peptostreptococcus (n = 67), Porphyromonas (n = 18), Fusobacterium (n = 57), black-pigmented ..
- Platelet aggregation induced by serotype polysaccharides from Streptococcus mutansJean San Chia
Department of Microbiology, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Infect Immun 72:2605-17. 2004Platelet aggregation plays an important role in the pathogenesis of infective endocarditis induced by viridans streptococci or staphylococci...
- Effect of penicillin resistance on presentation and outcome of nonenterococcal streptococcal infective endocarditisRon Bin Hsu
Department of Surgery, National Taiwan University Hospital, National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Cardiology 105:234-9. 2006..The emergence of strains resistant to penicillin is increasingly recognized worldwide. This study sought to assess the effect of penicillin resistance on presentation and outcome of streptococcal endocarditis...
- Etiology and risk factors of 339 cases of infective endocarditis: report from a 10-year national prospective survey in the Slovak RepublicV Krcmery
Dept of Pharmacology, Univ of Trnava School of Public Health at St Elizabeth s Cancer Institute, Bratislava, Slovak Republic
J Chemother 15:579-83. 2003..0% of cases. The majority of IE were caused by staphylococci (29.2%), 15.0% were due to viridans streptococci, 7.4% due to Enterococcus faecalis, 3.9% due to the HACEK group (Haemophilus spp., Actinobacillus spp...
- Comparative in vitro activity of gemifloxacin, ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin and ofloxacin in a North American surveillance studyD J Hoban
Laboratories International for Microbiology Studies, Rolling Meadows, IL, USA
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 40:51-7. 2001..pneumoniae, S. pyogenes, S. agalactiae, viridans streptococci, Enterococcus faecalis, methicillin susceptible Staphylococcus aureus, methicillin resistant S. aureus, S...
- Identification of clinically relevant viridans streptococci by analysis of transfer DNA intergenic spacer length polymorphismY De Gheldre
Department of Microbiology, Hopital Erasme, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Belgium
Int J Syst Bacteriol 49:1591-8. 1999..spacer length polymorphism (tDNA-ILP) for the identification to the species level of clinically relevant viridans streptococci was evaluated with a collection of reference strains of 15 species of the salivarius, anginosus, mitis and ..
- Prospective vancomycin audit in Auckland healthcare hospitalsD Drinkovic
Green Lane and National Women s Hospitals, Auckland
N Z Med J 112:336-9. 1999..The aim of this study was to audit the use of vancomycin in Auckland Healthcare hospitals...
- Evaluation of an automated culture system for detecting bacterial contamination of platelets: an analysis with 15 contaminating organismsM E Brecher
University of North Carolina Hospitals, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27514, USA
Transfusion 41:477-82. 2001..Approximately 1 in 2000 platelet components are bacterially contaminated. The time to detection of 15 seeded organisms in platelets recovered from an automated culture system was studied...
- Microbiology and management of acute suppurative thyroiditis in childrenItzhak Brook
Department of Pediatrics, School of Medicine, Georgetown University, 4431 Albemarle St NW, Washington, DC 20016, USA
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 67:447-51. 2003..Therapy includes administration of antibiotics effective against the causative pathogen(s). Proper selection of therapy can be guided by culture of the lesion. Surgical drainage may be necessary in case of suppuration...
- Antimicrobial susceptibility of viridans group streptococci in Taiwan with an emphasis on the high rates of resistance to penicillin and macrolides in Streptococcus oralisL J Teng
School of Medical Technology, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei
J Antimicrob Chemother 41:621-7. 1998..The difference in susceptibilities between species of viridans streptococci indicates the importance of accurate identification and the need for continuing surveillance of ..
- Surgical treatment of paraannular aortic abscessKyung Hwan Kim
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Seoul National University Hospital, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Heart Surg Forum 9:E506-10. 2006..The purpose of this study is to evaluate the long-term outcome of surgical intervention for aortic paraannular abscess...
- Mixed infection in adult bacterial meningitisW N Chang
Dept of Neurology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taiwan
Infection 28:8-12. 2000..3%, 1/12) was not higher than that in adult bacterial meningitis. However, complete recuperation was difficult in adult patients with mixed bacterial meningitis...
- Empirical antimicrobial therapy of acute dentoalveolar abscessStevo Matijević
Military Medical Academy, Clinic for Maxillofacial, Oral Surgery and Implantology, Belgrade, Serbia
Vojnosanit Pregl 66:544-50. 2009....
- Septic arthritis due to Streptococcus sanguisInga Mandac
Merkur, University Hospital, Zagreb, Croatia
Coll Antropol 34:661-4. 2010..Although viridans group streptococci and Streptococcus sanguis in particular are rare causes of septic arthritis in native joints, they should be considered in the differential diagnosis of periodontal disease...
- Validation of BacT/ALERT plastic culture bottles for use in testing of whole-blood-derived leukoreduced platelet-rich-plasma-derived plateletsM E Brecher
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27514, USA
Transfusion 44:1174-8. 2004..This study validated the BacT/ALERT for use in testing pooled PRP-derived PLTs with nine contaminating organisms...
- Analysis of microbial etiology and mortality in patients with brain abscessKashi N Prasad
Department of Microbiology, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh 226014, India
J Infect 53:221-7. 2006..In a prospective study we determined the predisposing factors and the microbiological profile of brain abscess. We also analyzed the mortality in patients with the type of infections identified...
- The in vitro activity of daptomycin against 514 Gram-positive aerobic clinical isolatesA King
Department of Infection, KCL, St Thomas Hospital Campus, London SE1 7EH, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 48:219-23. 2001..faecium and L. monocytogenes (MICs = 4 mg/L). Our results indicate that daptomycin MICs are independent of methicillin and vancomycin MICs...
- Paediatric infective endocarditis: 19-year experience at a tertiary care hospital in a developing countryF F Bitar
Department of Pediatrics, American University of Beirut, Lebanon
Acta Paediatr 89:427-30. 2000..Bacterial endocarditis prophylaxis should be emphasized in patients with RHD or pulmonary stenosis...
- Interaction between human polymorphonuclear leukocytes and Streptococcus milleri group bacteriaAnna Wanahita
Medical Service, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Infect Dis 185:85-90. 2002..pooled normal human serum, SMG stimulated less chemotaxis than did Staphylococcus aureus, in contrast to viridans streptococci, which caused greater chemotaxis than did S. aureus...
- Bacterial interference in nasopharyngeal bacterial flora of otitis-prone and non-otitis-prone childrenJ M Bernstein
Department of Otolaryngology, State University of New York at Buffalo SUNYAB
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Belg 48:1-9. 1994..b>Viridans streptococci appeared to be the predominant normal flora in children who are non-otitis prone...
- Endophthalmitis isolates and antibiotic sensitivities: a 6-year review of culture-proven casesMatthew S Benz
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, Florida, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 137:38-42. 2004..To investigate the spectrum of organisms causing culture-proven endophthalmitis and their sensitivities to commonly used antimicrobial agents...
- Comparative in vitro potency of amoxycillin-clavulanic acid and four oral agents against recent North American clinical isolates from a global surveillance studyD J Hoban
Laboratories International for Microbiology Studies, International Health Management Associates Inc, 2122 Palmer Drive, Schaumburg, IL 60173 3817, USA
Int J Antimicrob Agents 21:425-33. 2003..pneumoniae and viridans streptococci. Against Enterobacteriaceae amoxycillin-clavulanic acid in general, displayed weak activity with only ..
- Chronic sinusitis in childrenJ J Daele
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, CHR de la Citadelle, , Belgium
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Belg 51:285-304. 1997....
- Clindamycin versus Unasyn in the treatment of facial cellulitis of odontogenic origin in childrenDemetris E Rush
Children s Hospital of Michigan and Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan, USA
Clin Pediatr (Phila) 46:154-9. 2007..The most common aerobic and facultative organisms were viridans streptococci, Neisseria, and Eikenella species...
- Infective endocarditis in Greece: a changing profile. Epidemiological, microbiological and therapeutic dataC Loupa
Evangelismos General Hospital, Athens, Greece
Clin Microbiol Infect 10:556-61. 2004..Staphylococcus aureus was the most important pathogen, isolated in 22% of cases, followed by viridans streptococci (19%) and coagulase-negative staphylococci (16%). Enterococcus spp...
- Bacteriologic findings in patients with chronic sinusitisLuis Antonio Merino
Laboratory Dr Botello, Corrientes, Argentina
Ear Nose Throat J 82:798-800, 803-4, 806. 2003..Our study is one of the more extensive reports on the type and prevalence of pathogens in chronic sinusitis that has been published to date...
- Antimicrobial prophylaxis in oral surgery and dental proceduresJuan Ramón Maestre Vera
Faculty of Health Sciences, Dentistry Alfonso X el Sabio University, Madrid
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 12:E44-52. 2007....
- Identification of the cpsA gene as a specific marker for the discrimination of Streptococcus pneumoniae from viridans group streptococciHee Kuk Park
Department of Microbiology, Chung Ang University College of Medicine, 221 Heukseok dong, Dongjak Gu, Seoul 156 756, Republic of Korea
J Med Microbiol 59:1146-52. 2010..The primer specificities were evaluated using 49 viridans streptococci including 26 S...
- SALIVARY AMYLASE--ROLE IN DENTAL CARIES PATHOGENESISNarayanan Ramasubbu; Fiscal Year: 2002..g. viridans streptococci) in solution and when bound to hydroxyapatite...
- SALIVARY IMMUNE RESPONSE TO COMMENSAL ORAL BACTERIAMichael Cole; Fiscal Year: 1993..The Specific Aims are as follows: Aim 1: Determine the incidence of pioneer viridans streptococci producing IgA1 protease...
- Microbial Recognition of Sialic Acid Diversity in the Salivary ProteomeStefan Ruhl; Fiscal Year: 2010..are expected to shed additional light on the surprisingly narrow tissue and host tropism of certain viridans streptococci, of which some thrive exclusively within the human oral cavity...
- Distress, Saliva Composition and Saliva FunctionsJOS BOSCH; Fiscal Year: 2006..g., mucin, cystatin); (3) to determine if the saliva-mediated adherence and aggregation of viridans streptococci (as prototypical early colonizers of the dental plaque) is altered in subjects that experience protracted ..
- STREPTOCOCCUS SANGUIS MICROBIAL GENOME PROJECTFRANCIS MACRINA; Fiscal Year: 2002..Moreover, S. sanguis and other viridans streptococci of the mouth are emerging as life-threatening bloodstream pathogens in neutropenic patients...
- GENETIC ANALYSIS OF ORAL STREPTOCOCCAL BIOFILM FORMATIONNADARAJAH GANESHKUMAR; Fiscal Year: 2003Initial colonization of tooth surfaces by oral viridans streptococci, including Streptococcus gordonii, leads to the eventual formation of biofilms called dental plaque...
- Transfusion Medicine/Hemostasis Clinical Trials NetworkMark Brecher; Fiscal Year: 2007..Two TMH CTN protocols are ongoing at UNC, and it is the intention of the investigators at this site to support new network protocols in the future. UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA CHAPEL HILL CRITIQUES ..
- World Workshop in Oral Medicine IVPeter Lockhart; Fiscal Year: 2005..The proceedings will be published as evidence-based recommendations for best clinical practice in Oral Medicine as well as providing suggestions for future basic science and clinical research. ..
- Bacteremia from Dental Extraction vs. Oral HygienePeter Lockhart; Fiscal Year: 2004..Additionally, we will have unique and critical data for the development of both future research and evidence-based guidelines concerning antibiotic prophylaxis for individuals currently felt to be at risk for DSI. ..
- Streptococcal genomics and pathogenesisTodd Kitten; Fiscal Year: 2007b>Viridans streptococci are the leading cause of infective endocarditis, a serious illness which affects about 22,000 people per year in the US and kills over 2,000...
- The oral microbiome during cancer chemotherapy and its role in oral mucositisLinda D Strausbaugh; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results will allow us to develop comprehensive preventive approaches to improve the well-being of patients and cancer treatment outcomes. ..
- Streptococcal virulence factors in extra-oral diseaseTodd Kitten; Fiscal Year: 2003..S. and kills over 2,000. This disease is caused primarily by viridans streptococci, and among viridans streptococci, primarily by Streptococcus sanguis...
- Improved Macaque Safety Model for Topical Microbicides: Post-coital AssessmentsDorothy Patton; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition, we will collect parallel assessments, when mating has occurred with a placebo gel (HEC universal placebo) in place. These studies will provide urgently needed data regarding topical microbicide use with coital activity. ..
- Streptococcal virulence factors in extra-oral diseaseTodd Kitten; Fiscal Year: 2009..The viridans streptococci as a group and Streptococcus sanguis in particular are a leading cause of this disease...
- Effects of Massage on Immune System of Preterm InfantsJocelyn Ang; Fiscal Year: 2007..Data from this study could also impact future explorations on potential effects of MT on the immune responses to childhood vaccinations and susceptibility to bacterial and viral infections. ..
- Analysis Of Group A Streptococcus-Saliva InteractionSAMUEL SHELBURNE; Fiscal Year: 2007..GAS pharyngitis costs an estimated $15 billion/year in the US alone, and as the instigator of rheumatic fever, GAS remains, worldwide, the leading cause of preventable pediatric heart disease. ..
- LOCAL IMMUNE RESPONSE IN CHLAMYDIA SALPINGITISDorothy Patton; Fiscal Year: 2003..trachomatis- induced PID. If one chlamydial antigen is the major cause of the DTH response in PID, diagnostic or immunomodulatory efforts can be directed towards that antigen. ..
- Clinical Research and Mentoring in Infectious DiseaseKent Sepkowitz; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..