Summary: Family of gram-positive, facultatively anaerobic bacteria, in the order Bacillales. Genera include Gemella, Macrococcus, Salinicoccus, and STAPHYLOCOCCUS.
Publications138 found, 100 shown here
- Subacute endocarditis caused by Gemella haemolysans and a review of the literatureRaymond Khan
Department of Medicine, New York Hospital of Queens, Flushing, New York, USA
Scand J Infect Dis 36:885-8. 2004..The patient was treated with ampicillin for 6 weeks with significant clinical improvement. This case highlights the fact that endocarditis prophylaxis should be considered in denture fixation for high risk patients...
- Isolation and initial characterization of the tellurite reducing moderately halophilic bacterium, Salinicoccus sp. strain QW6Mohammad Ali Amoozegar
Department of Microbiology, School of Biology, University College of Science, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
Microbiol Res 163:456-65. 2008..5 to 0.005 mM) after 6 days and the color of the medium changed to black due to the formation of less toxic elemental tellurium...
- Gemella haemolysans infectious crystalline keratopathyWuqaas M Munir
Cornea 27:258; author reply 258. 2008
- Antibiotic resistance in lactic acid bacteria and Micrococcaceae/Staphylococcaceae isolates from artisanal raw milk cheeses, and potential implications on cheese makingP Rodríguez-Alonso
Dairy Science and Technology Laboratory, Agricultural Research Center of Mabegondo CIAM, Xunta de Galicia, 15080 A Coruña, Spain
J Food Sci 74:M284-93. 2009..However, isolates showing resistance to less than 2 antibiotics were mainly those with properties of greatest technological interest (acidifying activity, proteolytic/lipolytic activities, or diacetyl production)...
- Gemella haemolysans infectious crystalline keratopathyMohammed K Elmallah
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Illinois Medical Center, Chicago Eye and Ear Infirmary, Chicago, IL, USA
Cornea 25:1245-7. 2006..To report a case of infectious crystalline keratopathy caused by Gemella haemolysans...
- Infectious crystalline keratopathy caused by Gemella haemolysansAnusha Kailasanathan
Southampton University Hospitals Trust, Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Cornea 26:643-4. 2007..To report a novel case of infectious crystalline keratopathy after penetrating keratoplasty caused by Gemella haemolysans...
- [Susceptibility to betalactam antibiotics, glycopeptides and aminoglycosides in commensal strains of erythromycin-resistant alpha-hemolytic streptococci and Gemella spp]Paula Cerdá-Zolezzi
Departamento de Microbiologia, Medicina Preventiva y Salud Pública, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Zaragoza, Zaragoza, Espana
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 26:4-9. 2008..Susceptibility to seven betalactam antibiotics, glycopeptides and aminoglycosides was investigated in 190 erythromycin-resistant alpha-hemolytic streptococci and 30 Gemella spp, mainly from normal flora...
- Salinicoccus iranensis sp. nov., a novel moderate halophileMohammad Ali Amoozegar
Extremophiles Laboratory, Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Biology, College of Science, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 58:178-83. 2008..nov...
- Gemella morbillorum septic arthritis of the knee and infective endocarditisAndrew Czarnecki
Faculty of Medicine, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 36:E7-9. 2007
- An unusual case of brain abscess by Gemella morbillorumMaria Carla Liberto
Department of Medical Sciences, Institute of Microbiology, University of Catanzaro, Catanzaro, Italy
Jpn J Infect Dis 59:126-8. 2006..Gemella spp. should not be considered as trivial commensals of the mucous membranes, but appear as emerging pathogens involved in endocarditis, septic shock, and necrotizing pneumonia, as well as in serious intracranial infections...
- Gemella bacteraemia characterised by 16S ribosomal RNA gene sequencingP C Y Woo
Department of Microbiology, The University of Hong Kong, University Pathology Building, Queen Mary Hospital Compound, Hong Kong
J Clin Pathol 56:690-3. 2003..To define epidemiology, clinical disease, and outcome of gemella bacteraemia by 16S rRNA gene sequencing. To examine the usefulness of the Vitek, API, and ATB systems in identifying two gemella species...
- [Diversity of culturable bacteria associated with the sea urchin Hemicentrotus pulcherrimus from Naozhou Island]Ke Huang
Key Laboratory of Plant Resources Conservation and Utilization of Hunan Province, College of Biological Resource and Environment Science, Jishou University, Jishou 416000, China
Wei Sheng Wu Xue Bao 49:1424-9. 2009....
- Microbiological characteristics of "androlla", a Spanish traditional pork sausageMaría C García Fontán
Area de Tecnologia de los Alimentos, Facultad de Ciencias de Orense, Universidad de Vigo, 32004 Orense, Spain
Food Microbiol 24:52-8. 2007..Of the 200 isolates obtained from SPC agar + 7.5% NaCl, only 56 strains belonged to the Staphylococcaceae or Micrococcaceae families...
- Changes in bacterial communities accompanied by aggregation in a fed-batch composting reactorKeiko Watanabe
Graduate School of Engineering, Soka University, 1 236, Tangi cho, Hachioji, Tokyo 192 8577, Japan
Curr Microbiol 56:458-67. 2008..In contrast, populations of the family Staphylococcaceae considerably increased after aggregation and accounted for 53% of the total...
- Inference of the transcriptional regulatory network in Staphylococcus aureus by integration of experimental and genomics-based evidenceDmitry A Ravcheev
Sanford Burnham Medical Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
J Bacteriol 193:3228-40. 2011..network reconstruction for the human pathogen Staphylococcus aureus and six related species from the family Staphylococcaceae. The resulting reference set of 46 transcription factor regulons contains more than 1,900 binding sites and ..
- [Effects of various antibiotic treatments of lactating cows with subclinical mastitis]G M Friton
Ambulatorischen und Geburtshilflichen Tierklinik, Veterinärmedizinischen Fakultät, Universitat Leipzig
Tierarztl Prax Ausg G Grosstiere Nutztiere 26:254-60. 1998..With respect to bacterial species found in the subclinically infected milk probes, elimination rates in Streptococcaceae and in Enterococcaceae was evident higher than in Staphylococcaceae. The results are discussed.
- The skin microbiome of caspase-14-deficient mice shows mild dysbiosisMalgorzata Kubica
Inflammation Research Center, VIB, Ghent, Belgium Department of Biomedical Molecular Biology, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium
Exp Dermatol 23:561-7. 2014..Although both wild-type and caspase-14(-/-) skin were dominated by the Firmicutes phylum, the Staphylococcaceae family was reduced in caspase-14(-/-) mice...
- Recurrent upper airway infections and bacterial biofilmsJ Galli
Institute of Otorhinolaryngology, Rome, Italy
J Laryngol Otol 121:341-4. 2007....
- Salinicoccus kekensis sp. nov., a novel alkaliphile and moderate halophile isolated from Keke Salt Lake in Qinghai, ChinaMiao Gao
State Key Laboratory of Agrobiotechnology, China Agricultural University, Beijing 100193, People s Republic of China
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek 98:351-7. 2010..nov. is proposed. The type strain is K164(T) (=CGMCC 1.10337(T) = DSM 23173(T))...
- Aortic and mitral valve endocarditis caused by Gemella morbillorum in a haemodialysis patientM Zheng
Department of Emergency Medicine, Alexandra Hospital, 378 Alexandra Road, and Department of Medicine, National University Singapore, Singapore 159964
Singapore Med J 49:e385-7. 2008..Most cases of Gemella morbillorum endocarditis have satisfactory outcomes with antibiotics or surgical treatment...
- Gemella species-associated late-onset endophthalmitis after trabeculectomy with adjunctive mitomycin CAkira Sawada
Department of Ophthalmology, Gifu University Graduate School of Medicine, Gifu shi 501 1194, Japan
J Glaucoma 18:496-7. 2009..To report 2 cases of delayed-onset, bleb-related endophthalmitis induced by Gemella species...
- Predominance of Gram-positive bacteria in house dust in the low-allergy risk Russian KareliaJaakko Pakarinen
Department of Applied Chemistry and Microbiology, University of Helsinki, PO Box 56, 00014 Helsinki, Finland
Environ Microbiol 10:3317-25. 2008..low-allergy Russian Kareliarepresented Gram-positive bacteria (Firmicutes and Actinobacteria), predominantly Staphylococcaceae and Corynebacteriaceae...
- Streptococci dominate the diverse flora within buccal cellsJ D Rudney
Department of Diagnostic and Biological Sciences, School of Dentistry, University of Minnesota, 17 252 Moos Tower, 515 Delaware St SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
J Dent Res 84:1165-71. 2005..adiacens). This is similar to what is observed in oral biofilms, where diverse species interact in complex communities that often are dominated by streptococci...
- The battle against multi-resistant strains: Renaissance of antimicrobial essential oils as a promising force to fight hospital-acquired infectionsPatrick H Warnke
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Kiel, Germany
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 37:392-7. 2009..As proven in vitro, essential oils represent a cheap and effective antiseptic topical treatment option even for antibiotic-resistant strains as MRSA and antimycotic-resistant Candida species...
- Characterization of bacterial populations recovered from the teat canals of lactating dairy and beef cattle by 16S rRNA gene sequence analysisJason J Gill
Department of Food Science, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 56:471-81. 2006..The dairy sample contained a cluster (20/80 clones) of Staphylococcaceae members, seven of which were identifiable as coagulase-negative Staphylococcus species...
- Comparing the anterior nare bacterial community of two discrete human populations using Illumina amplicon sequencingAmélia Camarinha-Silva
Microbial Interactions and Processes Research Group, Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research, Braunschweig, Germany
Environ Microbiol 16:2939-52. 2014..comprising species of Propionibacteriaceae, Clostridiales Incertae Sedis XI, Corynebacteriaceae and Staphylococcaceae. Thus, age was a stronger factor for accounting for differing bacterial assemblages than the origin of the ..
- The routine use of atypical cultures in presumed aseptic revisions is unnecessaryAnthony T Tokarski
The Rothman Institute of Orthopedics at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, 925 Chestnut Street, 5th Floor, Philadelphia, PA, 19107, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 471:3171-7. 2013..Currently no guidelines exist for the routine use of acid-fast bacillus (AFB) and fungal cultures in this setting...
- Carbonate-dissolving bacteria from 'miliolite', a bioclastic limestone, from Gopnath, Gujarat, Western IndiaGangavarapu Subrahmanyam
Department of Microbiology and Biotechnology Centre, Faculty of Science, The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, Vadodara 390002, Gujarat, India
Microbes Environ 27:334-7. 2012..decipher that the majority of carbonate-dissolving bacteria were affiliated to phyla Firmicutes (Families Bacillaceae and Staphylococcaceae) and Actinobacteria (Family Promicromonosporaceae) indicating their role in miliolite weathering.
- Duodenal-mucosal bacteria associated with celiac disease in childrenEster Sanchez
Microbial Ecology and Nutrition Research Group, Institute of Agrochemistry and Food Technology, National Research Council IATA CSIC, Valencia, Spain
Appl Environ Microbiol 79:5472-9. 2013..Members of the families Enterobacteriaceae and Staphylococcaceae, particularly the species Klebsiella oxytoca, Staphylococcus epidermidis, and Staphylococcus pasteuri, were ..
- Gemifloxacin mesylate (GFM) stability evaluation applying a validated bioassay method and in vitro cytotoxic studyClesio S Paim
Programa de Pós Graduação em Ciências Farmacêuticas, Faculdade de Farmacia, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul UFRGS, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Talanta 83:1774-9. 2011..The results indicated that the GFM RS and photodegraded GFM RS were potentially more cytotoxic than the synthetic impurity under the conditions of analysis applied...
- Analysis of intestinal bacterial community diversity of adult Dastarcus helophoroidesZ Q Zhang
1 Laboratory of Forestry Pests Biological Control, College of Forestry, Northwest Agriculture and Forestry University, Yangling, Shaanxi, 712100, China
J Insect Sci 14:114. 2014..bacteria, whereas those isolated by the culture-dependent technique belonged to Staphylococcus (Bacillales: Staphylococcaceae), Pectobacterium Enterobacteriales: Enterobacteriaceae), and Enterobacter (Enterobacteriales: ..
- Analysis of intestinal bacterial community diversity of adult Dastarcus helophoroidesZ Q Zhang
Laboratory of Forestry Pests Biological Control, College of Forestry, Northwest Agriculture and Forestry University, Yangling, Shaanxi, 712100, China
J Insect Sci 14:114. 2014..bacteria, whereas those isolated by the culture-dependent technique belonged to Staphylococcus (Bacillales: Staphylococcaceae), Pectobacterium Enterobacteriales: Enterobacteriaceae), and Enterobacter (Enterobacteriales: ..
- Evaluation of five selective media for isolation of catalase-negative gram-positive cocci from bulk tank milkAshish A Sawant
Department of Veterinary Science, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park 16802, USA
J Dairy Sci 85:1127-32. 2002..5 mg/L) can be used as a selective medium for the isolation of streptococci and streptococci-like organisms from bulk tank milk...
- Effects of glass ionomer and microfilled composite subgingival restorations on periodontal tissue and subgingival biofilm: a 6-month evaluationVanessa Renata Santos
Department of Periodontics, Dental Research Division, Guarulhos University, Guarulhos, SP, Brazil
J Periodontol 78:1522-8. 2007..This 6-month study evaluated the effects of resin-modified glass-ionomer cement (RMGI) and microfilled composite (MC) subgingival restorations on periodontal tissues and subgingival biofilm...
- New heparinizable modified poly(carbonate urethane) surfaces diminishing bacterial colonizationLuigi De Nardo
BioMatLab, Bioengineering Department, Politecnico di Milano, Piazza L da Vinci 32, 20133 Milan, Italy
J Mater Sci Mater Med 18:2109-15. 2007....
- Cloning, expression, and purification of a new antibacterial substance gene from larvae of Musca domestica (Diptera: Muscidae)Zhihua Pei
College of Animal Science and Technology, Jilin Agricultural University, Xincheng Street No 2888, Changchun 130118, People s Republic of China
J Insect Sci 14:253. 2014..Streptococcus bovis (Streptococcaceae: Streptococcus), Streptococcus suis, and Staphylococcus aureus (Staphylococcaceae: Staphylococcus) inÂ vitro...
- Salinicoccus sesuvii sp. nov., isolated from the rhizosphere of Sesuvium portulacastrumP Kampfer
Institut fur Angewandte Mikrobiologie, Justus Liebig Universitat Giessen, D 35392 Giessen, Germany
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 61:2348-52. 2011..We propose that strain CC-SPL15-2(T) be assigned to a novel species, with the name Salinicoccus sesuvii sp. nov. The type strain is CC-SPL15-2(T) ( = DSM 23267(T) = CCM 7756(T))...
- The role of bacterial pathogens in coliform mastitis in sowsNicole Kemper
Institute of Agricultural and Nutritional Science, Martin Luther University, Halle Saale, Germany
Berl Munch Tierarztl Wochenschr 126:130-6. 2013..0% positive samples from healthy animals. Furthermore, other Enterobacteriaceae, Staphylococcaceae, Streptococcaceae and Enterococcaceae were isolated both from CM-affected and non-affected animals...
- Bioterrorism: toxins as weaponsPeter D Anderson
Forensic Pharmacologist, Private Practice, Adjunct Associate Professor of Pharmacy Practice, University of Rhode Island, Randolph, MA, USA
J Pharm Pract 25:121-9. 2012..Mycotoxins include aflatoxins and trichothecenes. Aflatoxins are carcinogens. Trichothecenes inhibit protein and nucleic acid synthesis. Nicotine produces numerous nicotinic effects in the nervous system...
- Evaluation of different storage methods to characterize the fecal bacterial communities of captive western lowland gorillas (Gorilla gorilla gorilla)Klára Vlčková
Department of Botany and Zoology, Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic
J Microbiol Methods 91:45-51. 2012..Sequences of amplicons obtained from PCR-DGGE belonged to the families Clostridiaceae, Lactobacillaceae, Staphylococcaceae, and Lachnospiraceae, phylum Firmicutes; however most amplicons showed sequence similarity to previously ..
- Salinicoccus qingdaonensis sp. nov., isolated from coastal seawater during a bloom of green algaeZhe Qu
College of Marine Life Sciences, Ocean University of China, Qingdao, PR China
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 62:545-9. 2012..nov., with the type strain ZXM223(T) (=LMG 24855(T) =CGMCC 1.8895(T))...
- Broad diversity and newly cultured bacterial isolates from enrichment of pig feces on complex polysaccharidesCherie J Ziemer
USDA, Agricultural Research Service, National Laboratory for Agriculture and the Environment, Ames, IA 50010, USA
Microb Ecol 66:448-61. 2013..Within the Firmicutes isolates, most were classified in the families of Lachnospiraceae, Enterococcaceae, Staphylococcaceae, and Clostridiaceae I...
- Biochemical characterization and FAD-binding analysis of oleate hydratase from Macrococcus caseolyticusYoung Chul Joo
Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Konkuk University, 1 Hayang dong Gangjin gu, Seoul 143 701, Republic of Korea
Biochimie 94:907-15. 2012..Among the five variants, G29A, G31A, and E56A showed no interaction with FAD and exhibited no activity. These results indicate that G29, G31, and E56 are essential for FAD-binding...
- Peritoneal dialysis-related peritonitis caused by Gemella morbillorum in a patient with systemic lupus erythematosus receiving steroid therapyChih Cheng Lai
Division of Critical Care Medicine, Department of Emergency and Critical Care Medicine, Lotung Poh Ai Hospital, Yi Lan, Taiwan
J Microbiol Immunol Infect 41:272-4. 2008..morbillorum in a patient with systemic lupus erythematosus receiving steroid therapy. The patient responded well to antibiotics, without removal of the peritoneal catheter...
- [Gemella morbillorum endocarditis]Jesús Javier Castellanos Monedero
Med Clin (Barc) 130:717-8. 2008
- Salinicoccus salitudinis sp. nov., a new moderately halophilic bacterium isolated from a saline soil sampleYi Guang Chen
Yunnan Institute of Microbiology, Key Laboratory for Conservation and Utilization of Bio Resources, Yunnan University, Kunming, Yunnan 650091, People s Republic of China
Extremophiles 12:197-203. 2008..analysis based on 16S rRNA gene sequences indicated that the strain YIM-C678T belonged to the family Staphylococcaceae and was most closely related to the eight described species of the genus Salinicoccus with sequence ..
- Salinicoccus kunmingensis sp. nov., a moderately halophilic bacterium isolated from a salt mine in Yunnan, south-west ChinaYi Guang Chen
Yunnan Institute of Microbiology and Key Laboratory for Conservation and Utilization of Bio resources, Yunnan University, Kunming, Yunnan 650091, PR China
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 57:2327-32. 2007..7 %). Together with the phenotypic differences, these results supported the proposal of a novel species of the genus Salinicoccus, Salinicoccus kunmingensis sp. nov., with YIM Y15(T) (=DSM 17847(T) =CGMCC 1.6302(T)) as the type strain...
- Gemella bergeriae endocarditis in a boyLatania K Logan
Division of Infectious Diseases, Children s Memorial Hospital, Department of Pediatrics, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60614, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 27:184-6. 2008..Blood cultures revealed Gram-positive cocci that failed to type with Lancefield group antiserum. The identification of the organism was confirmed by 16S rRNA gene sequencing...
- [Phylogenetic diversity of culturable bacteria in the ancient salt deposits of the Yipinglang Salt Mine, P. R. China]Yi Guang Chen
Yunnan Institute of Microbiology and Laboratory for Conservation and Utilization of Bio resources, Yunnan University, Kunming 650091, China
Wei Sheng Wu Xue Bao 47:571-7. 2007..Planococcaceae, Pseudomonadaceae, Rhodobacteraceae, Dietziaceae, Saccharospirillaceae, Sphingomonadaceae, Staphylococcaceae, Streptomycetaceae) in four major phylogenetic groups (Actinobacteria, Bacteroidetes, Firmicutes, ..
- [Necrotizing pneumonia due to Gemella morbillorum in an immunocompetent patient]M Estivals
Service de Pneumologie, CHT G Bourret, Noumea, Nouvelle Calédonie
Rev Mal Respir 24:1143-6. 2007..However severe infections are reported like endocarditis, septic shock and septic arthritis, more often in immunocompromised hosts. It is an infrequently isolated organism and a rare cause of pulmonary or pleural infections...
- [Liver abscesses due to Gemella morbillorum]C Corchado Berjano
Gastroenterol Hepatol 30:507-8. 2007
- Gemella morbillorum in primary and secondary/persistent endodontic infectionsBrenda P F A Gomes
Endodontic Division, Department of Restorative Dentistry, Piracicaba Dental School, State University of Campinas, Piracicaba, Brazil
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 105:519-25. 2008..To investigate the presence of Gemella morbillorum by culture or nested PCR in primary and secondary/persistent endodontic infections...
- Frequency, microbial interactions, and antimicrobial susceptibility of Fusobacterium nucleatum and Fusobacterium necrophorum isolated from primary endodontic infectionsRogerio C Jacinto
Department of Restorative Dentistry, Endodontic Division, Piracicaba Dental School, University of Campinas, UNICAMP, Piracicaba, SP, Brazil
J Endod 34:1451-6. 2008..Amoxicillin is a useful antibiotic against F. nucleatum and F. necrophorum in endodontic infections and has been prescribed as the first choice in Brazil...
- Novel chiral skeletons for drug discovery: antibacterial tetramic acidsChloe A Holloway
Department of Chemistry, Chemistry Research Laboratory, University of Oxford, 12 Mansfield Road, Oxford OX1 3TA, UK
Chem Biol Drug Des 78:229-35. 2011....
- rpoB gene sequence-based identification of aerobic Gram-positive cocci of the genera Streptococcus, Enterococcus, Gemella, Abiotrophia, and GranulicatellaMichel Drancourt
Unite des Rickettsies, IFR 48, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de la Mediterranee, Marseille, France
J Clin Microbiol 42:497-504. 2004..pneumoniae-S. oralis-S. mitis group and the S. agalactiae-S. difficile group. These signatures allowed us to design a S. pneumoniae-specific PCR and sequencing primer pair...
- Terminal olefin (1-alkene) biosynthesis by a novel p450 fatty acid decarboxylase from Jeotgalicoccus speciesMathew A Rude
LS9, Inc, 600 Gateway Blvd, South San Francisco, CA 94080, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 77:1718-27. 2011..Olefin-forming fatty acid decarboxylation is a novel reaction that can now be added to the catalytic repertoire of the versatile cytochrome P450 enzyme family...
- Bacteriologic culture of excised intervertebral disc from immunocompetent patients undergoing single level primary lumbar microdiscectomyVijay Agarwal
Division of Neurosurgery, Duke University Medical Center, 1000 Trent Drive, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Spinal Disord Tech 24:397-400. 2011..A consecutive case series from a single center of patients undergoing primary microdiscectomy for lumbar herniated nucleus pulposus (HNP) who received microbiologic laboratory culture of excised disc material...
- Jeotgalicoccus nanhaiensis sp. nov., isolated from intertidal sediment, and emended description of the genus JeotgalicoccusZhu Xiang Liu
College of Biology and Environmental Sciences, Jishou University, Jishou 416000, PR China
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 61:2029-34. 2011..nov. is proposed. The type strain is JSM 077023(T) ( = DSM 23006(T) = KCTC 13714(T)). An emended description of the genus Jeotgalicoccus is also presented...
- Evaluation of the bacterial community and intestinal development of different genetic lines of chickensB S Lumpkins
Southern Poultry Research Inc, Athens, GA 30607, USA
Poult Sci 89:1614-21. 2010..The results indicate that the different genetic lines of broilers have varying rates of intestinal development, which may affect performance and the bacterial community...
- Detection of Jeotgalicoccus spp. in poultry house airElena Martin
Bundesanstalt für Arbeitsschutz und Arbeitsmedizin, Nöldnerstrasse 40 42, 10317 Berlin, Germany
Syst Appl Microbiol 33:188-92. 2010..These results indicated the remarkable proportion (1-39%) of total cell counts and the hitherto unknown wide distribution of Jeotgalicoccus spp. in the poultry rearing industry...
- Acute postoperative endophthalmitis by Gemella haemolysansSuma Nalamada
Jhaveri Microbiology Centre, Hyderabad Eye Research Foundation, LV Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad, India
Indian J Ophthalmol 58:252-3. 2010..The patient was successfully treated with vitrectomy and intravitreal antibiotics like vancomycin, along with topical cefazolin...
- [Lethal aortic endocarditis due to Gemella morbillorum in a Djiboutian khat user]P L Massoure
Hôpital Bouffard, SP 85024 00812 Armées, Djibouti, Djibouti
Rev Med Interne 31:e7-9. 2010..The portal of entry was dental with multiples caries and a periodontitis attributed to khat chewing. The patient died within few days. Diagnosis, severity and management of endocarditis due to this rare bacterium are discussed...
- Molecular methodology to assess the impact of cancer chemotherapy on the oral bacterial flora: a pilot studyJoel J Napenas
Department of Oral Medicine, Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, NC 28232, USA
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 109:554-60. 2010..This pilot study determined the profile of the oral bacterial flora in an outpatient cancer population before and after chemotherapy using molecular techniques...
- Development of a novel PCR method to comprehensively analyze salivary bacterial flora and its application to patients with odontogenic infectionsTomonori Akiyama
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Saga University, Saga, Japan
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 109:669-76. 2010..The objective of this study was to develop a novel polymerase chain reaction (PCR) method to comprehensively analyze salivary bacterial flora...
- Molecular and biochemical characterization of three bacterial symbionts of fruit fly, Bactrocera tau (Tephritidae: Diptera)Chandra Prabhakar
Department of Entomology, CSK Himachal Pradesh Krishi Vishvavidyalaya, Himachal Pradesh, India
J Gen Appl Microbiol 55:479-87. 2009..into family Staphylococcaceae. 16S rDNA gene sequence comparison with the available NCBI database sequences further confirmed the ..
- Jeotgalicoccus marinus sp. nov., a marine bacterium isolated from a sea urchinYi Guang Chen
Key Laboratory for Conservation and Utilization of Plant Resources of Hunan Province, College of Biology and Environmental Sciences, Jishou University, Jishou, Hunan 416000, PR China
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 59:1625-9. 2009..nov. is proposed. The type strain is JSM 076033(T) (=CCTCC AA 207028(T) =DSM 19772(T) =KCTC 13189(T))...
- [Phylogenetic diversity of cultivable bacteria associated with a sea anemone from coast of the Naozhou island in Zhanjiang, China]Huaidong Xiao
Key Laboratory of Plant Resources Conservation and Utilization, Hunan Province, College of Biological Resource and Environment Science, Jishou University, Jishou 416000, China
Wei Sheng Wu Xue Bao 49:246-50. 2009..To understand the diversity of cultivable bacteria isolated from a sea anemone collected from the coastal water of the Naozbou island in the Leizhou Bay on South China Sea...
- RegPredict: an integrated system for regulon inference in prokaryotes by comparative genomics approachPavel S Novichkov
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 38:W299-307. 2010..An interactive web interface of RegPredict integrates and presents diverse genomic and functional information about the candidate regulon members from several web resources. RegPredict is freely accessible at http://regpredict.lbl.gov...
- Complete genome sequence of Macrococcus caseolyticus strain JCSCS5402, [corrected] reflecting the ancestral genome of the human-pathogenic staphylococciTadashi Baba
Department of Microbiology and Infection Control Science, Juntendo University, 2 1 1 Hongo, Bunkyo, Tokyo 113 8421, Japan
J Bacteriol 191:1180-90. 2009..aureus...
- Microbiological quality of Pecorino Siciliano "primosale" cheese on retail sale in the street markets of Palermo, ItalyGiovanni M Giammanco
Dipartimento di Scienze per la Promozione della Salute G D Alessandro, Universita di Palermo, Palermo, Italy
New Microbiol 34:179-85. 2011..and Staphylococcus aureus and indicator microorganisms, such as Escherichia coli, Enterobacteriaceae and Staphylococcaceae. In our study, 4% and 44% of the samples, respectively, did not comply with the acceptability levels fixed ..
- Gemella bergeriae endocarditis diagnosed by sequencing of rRNA genes in heart valve tissueSameer Elsayed
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
J Clin Microbiol 42:4897-900. 2004..Diagnosis was confirmed by sequencing of 16S rRNA genes in heart valve tissue. This is the first report of Gemella endocarditis confirmed by molecular detection of bacterial genes in heart valve tissue...
- Macrococcus brunensis sp. nov., Macrococcus hajekii sp. nov. and Macrococcus lamae sp. nov., from the skin of llamasSylva Mannerová
Czech Collection of Microorganisms, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University, Tvrdeho 14, 602 00 Brno, Czech Republic
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 53:1647-54. 2003..nov. (type strain CCM 4809(T)=LMG 21711(T)), Macrococcus brunensis sp. nov. (type strain CCM 4811(T)=LMG 21712(T)) and Macrococcus lamae sp. nov. (type strain CCM 4815(T)=LMG 21713(T)) are proposed...
- Endocarditis caused by Gemella morbillorum resistant to beta-lactams and aminoglycosidesDiamantis P Kofteridis
Department of Internal Medicine, Infectious Disease Unit, University Hospital of Heraklion, Crete, Greece
Scand J Infect Dis 38:1125-7. 2006..G. morbillorum is usually sensitive to beta-lactams and aminoglycosides. The present 2 cases raise concern that appropriate prophylaxis and empirical treatment may be more complicated than believed in the past...
- [Cerebral abscess due to Gemella haemolysans]Carmen Díaz-Pedroche
Unidad de Enfermedades Infecciosas, Hospital 12 de Octubre, Madrid, Spain
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 23:385-6. 2005
- Evidence of active endocarditis, caused by Gemella morbillorum, related to acute embolic strokeMotonobu Murai
Int J Cardiol 112:e17-8. 2006
- Acute renal failure associated with Gemella haemolysans pneumoniaMichael Eisenhut
Royal Liverpool Children s Hospital, Eaton Road, Liverpool, L122AP, UK
Pediatr Nephrol 19:448-50. 2004..We believe that tubular damage due to hematuria rather than the glomerular changes was the most likely cause of renal failure...
- Design, synthesis and structure-activity relationship studies of novel indazole analogues as DNA gyrase inhibitors with Gram-positive antibacterial activityAkihiko Tanitame
Chemistry Research Laboratories, Dainippon Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd, 33 94, Enoki, Suita, Osaka 564 0053, Japan
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 14:2857-62. 2004....
- Identification of sulfoquinovosyl diacylglycerol as a major polar lipid in Marinococcus halophilus and Salinicoccus hispanicus and substitution with phosphatidylglycerolG Dennis Sprott
Institute for Biological Sciences, National Research Council, Canada
Can J Microbiol 52:209-19. 2006..A comparison of 16S rRNA established a close similarity between Planococcus sp. H8 and M. halophilus...
- A case of septic arthritis due to infection with Gemella morbillorumM Roche
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Beaumont Hospital, P O Box 1297, Beaumont Road, Dublin 9, Ireland
J Infect 51:e187-9. 2005..We describe a case of septic arthritis due to G. morbillorum occurring in an otherwise healthy 42-year old man and review previous reports of infection in the literature...
- Cerebral abscess due to Gemella morbillorumD Spagnoli
Department of Neuroscience, University of Milano Ospedale Maggiore of Milano, IRCCS, Via Francesco Sforza 35, 20122, Milan, Italy
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 22:515-7. 2003
- Bacterial and fungal bloodstream isolates from 796 hematopoietic stem cell transplant recipients between 1991 and 2000Mar Ortega
Infectious Diseases Unit, Hospital Clinic, C Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Ann Hematol 84:40-6. 2005..CoNS were the leading pathogen during the 10 years of study and during the three phases of immune recovery after HSCT. Crude mortality of HSCT patients with BSI was low except for infections caused by Candida spp...
- Phenotypic and molecular characterization of erythromycin resistance in four isolates of Streptococcus-like gram-positive cocci causing bacteremiaPatrick C Y Woo
Department of Microbiology, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
J Clin Microbiol 42:3303-5. 2004..All four isolates possessed mef genes, whereas none possessed ermT, ermTR, or ermB genes...
- Molecular basis of resistance to macrolides and other antibiotics in commensal viridans group streptococci and Gemella spp. and transfer of resistance genes to Streptococcus pneumoniaePaula Cerdá Zolezzi
Department of Microbiology, Zaragoza University School of Medicine, C Domingo Miral s n, 50009 Zaragoza, Spain
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:3462-7. 2004..The mef(E) and mel genes were successfully transferred from both groups of bacteria to Streptococcus pneumoniae R6 by transformation. Viridans group streptococci and Gemella spp. seem to be important reservoirs of resistance genes...
- [Liver abscess caused by Gemella morbillorum]Hyo Jung Nam
Department of Internal Medicine, Eulji University School of Medicine, Daejeon, Korea
Korean J Gastroenterol 46:56-9. 2005..morbillorum is very rare, and only a few cases were reported. We experienced a case of liver abscess by G. morbillorum in a 56-year-old woman presented with fever. We report this case with a review of literatures...
- Mitral bioprosthetic valve endocarditis caused by an unusual microorganism, Gemella morbillorum, in an intravenous drug userRamzan M Zakir
Department of Medicine, New Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey 07103, USA
J Clin Microbiol 42:4893-6. 2004..This is only the second reported case of Gemella morbillorum endocarditis in a patient with a prosthetic valve...
- Soft tissue infection caused by Gemella morbillorum in two intravenous drug usersClaude Bachmeyer
J Am Acad Dermatol 52:704-5. 2005
- Gemella morbillorum endocarditis in a childFabrizio Gimigliano
Pediatr Infect Dis J 24:190. 2005
- [Liver abscess in Crohn's disease due to Gemella morbillorum]A Calvo
Rev Esp Enferm Dig 95:440-1. 2003
- Gemella endocarditis: consider the colonSusan F Fitzgerald
Department of Clinical Microbiology, St Vincent s University Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
J Heart Valve Dis 15:833-5. 2006..It is suggested that colonic investigation should be considered in patients with Gemella endocarditis, in whom no other source is apparent...
- [Acute Gemella haemolysans spondylodiscitis in an immunocompetent patient]Benoit Martha
Service de Pneumologie, CHU Bocage, Dijon
Presse Med 32:1273-5. 2003..Gemella is a commensal bacterium of the upper respiratory tract responsible for rare infections such as acute endocarditis and meningitis. We report the case of an acute Gemella haemolysans spondylodiscitis...
- Salinicoccus jeotgali sp. nov., isolated from jeotgal, a traditional Korean fermented seafoodZubair Aslam
Department of Biological Sciences, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, 373 1 Guseong dong, Yuseong Gu, Daejeon 305 701, Republic of Korea
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 57:633-8. 2007..analysis based on 16S rRNA gene sequences indicated that strain S2R53-5(T) belongs to the family Staphylococcaceae and was most closely related to Salinicoccus roseus DSM 5351(T) (96...
- Microbial community structure and dynamics of dark fire-cured tobacco fermentationMichele Di Giacomo
British American Tobacco Italia, Via Cinthia, 80126 Naples, Italy
Appl Environ Microbiol 73:825-37. 2007..At this stage, Staphylococcaceae (Jeotgalicoccus and Staphylococcus) and Lactobacillales (Aerococcus, Lactobacillus, and Weissella) are the ..
- Salinicoccus luteus sp. nov., isolated from a desert soilYu Qin Zhang
Institute of Medicinal Biotechnology, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing 100050, PR China
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 57:1901-5. 2007..The name Salinicoccus luteus sp. nov. is proposed with strain YIM 70202(T) (=CGMCC 1.6511(T)=KCTC 3941(T)) as the type strain...
- Bacterial diversity in aphthous ulcersL Marchini
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics and Genomics, University of Vale do Paraiba, Sao Jose dos Campos, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Oral Microbiol Immunol 22:225-31. 2007..This study aimed to estimate the bacterial diversity in the lesions and in control mucosa in pooled samples using a culture-independent molecular approach...
- Pulmonary nodules associated with Gemella bacteremia: CT findings in two children with osteosarcomaNetta M Blitman
Department of Radiology, Children s Hospital at Montefiore, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10467, USA
J Thorac Imaging 22:182-4. 2007..To our knowledge, this manifestation of Gemella infection has not been previously reported. In the setting of malignancy, infectious pulmonary nodules must be distinguished from metastatic nodules in order to treat appropriately...
- Gemella morbillorum deep brain abscess successfully treated with combined stereotactic, medical, and imaging approachAnna Messori
Neuroradiological Clinic, General Hospital Umberto I and University of Ancona, Via Conca 1, Torrette di Ancona, 60020, Ancona, Italy
Eur J Radiol 44:143-51. 2002....
- Gemella morbillorum liver abscessChen Yang Hsu
Emergency Department, Shin Kong Wu Ho Su Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Scand J Infect Dis 39:637-8. 2007..The patient recovered uneventfully after catheter drainage and treatment with cefmetazole. This is the first case report of liver abscess caused by G. mobillorum in the English literature...
- Nosocomial meningitis caused by Staphylococcus other than S. aureus in children: multicentre studyF Bauer
School of Medicine and School of Health, Department of Neurology, Neurosurgery, Bratislava, Kosice, Banska Bystrica, Nitra, Slovakia
Neuro Endocrinol Lett 28:34-5. 2007..Ten of 101 cases were caused by glycopeptide intermediate resistant strains in patients pretreated with multiple combination of antibiotics including vancomycin and shunt exchanges: 76% of strains were also oxacillin resistant...
- Gemella morbillorum mediastinitis and osteomyelitis following transesophageal endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration of a posterior mediastinal lymph nodeT J Savides
Division of Gastroenterology, University of California, San Diego, California, USA
Endoscopy 39:E123-4. 2007
- Jeotgalicoccus halotolerans gen. nov., sp. nov. and Jeotgalicoccus psychrophilus sp. nov., isolated from the traditional Korean fermented seafood jeotgalJung Hoon Yoon
Korea Research Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology KRIBB, PO Box 115, Yusong, Taejon, Korea
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 53:595-602. 2003..nov. and Jeotgalicoccus psychrophilus sp. nov. are proposed. The type strains are YKJ-101T (=KCCM 41448T =JCM 11198T) and YKJ-115T (=KCCM 41449T =JCM 11199T), respectively...
- Meningitis due to Gemella haemolysans in a pediatric caseMurat Anil
Department of Pediatrics, Tepecik Educational and Research Hospital, Yenisehir, Izmir, Turkey
J Clin Microbiol 45:2337-9. 2007..haemolysans in a 17-month-old boy. This is the first reported case of Gemella meningitis in a child. The patient completely recovered following intravenous therapy with linezolid and chloramphenicol...