Summary: A species of gram-negative bacteria in the genus HAEMOPHILUS, causing respiratory tract disease in CHICKENS known as infectious coryza.
- Infectious coryza: overview of the disease and new diagnostic optionsP J Blackall
Animal Research Institute, Moorooka 4105, Australia
Clin Microbiol Rev 12:627-32. 1999..and commonly encountered upper respiratory tract disease of chickens that is caused by the bacterium Haemophilus paragallinarum. The occurrence of recent outbreaks in North America has emphasized that the disease can be significant ..
- Virulence of South African isolates of Haemophilus paragallinarum. Part 1: NAD-dependent field isolatesR R Bragg
Department of Microbiology and Biochemistry, University of the Free State, Bloemfontein, South Africa
Onderstepoort J Vet Res 69:163-9. 2002The virulence of four South African field isolates of NAD-dependent Haemophilus paragallinarum, representing the four serovars known to occur in that country, was investigated...
- Virulence of South African isolates of Haemophilus paragallinarum. Part 2: naturally occurring NAD-independent field isolatesR R Bragg
Department of Microbiology and Biochemistry, University of the Free State, Bloemfontein, South Africa
Onderstepoort J Vet Res 69:171-5. 2002Naturally occurring NAD-independent variants of Haemophilus paragallinarum, which have been isolates from poultry showing clinical signs of infectious coryza, were used to determine their virulence using a newly developed challenge model ..
- Effects of differences in virulence of different serovars of Haemophilus paragallinarum on perceived vaccine efficacyR R Bragg
Department of Microbial, Biochemical and Food Biotechnology, University of the Free State, P O Box 339, Bloemfontein, 9300, South Africa
Onderstepoort J Vet Res 72:1-6. 2005The virulence of four South African field isolates of NAD-dependent Haemophilus paragallinarum and two field isolates of NAD-independent H. paragallinarum has previously been tested in unvaccinated chickens...
- Immunogenicity and haemagglutination of recombinant Avibacterium paragallinarum HagAYuan Man Hsu
Department of Biological Science and Technology, China Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan
Vet Microbiol 122:280-9. 2007..These results suggested that HagA is a moderate immunogen and might not be a major haemagglutinin in vivo. However, HagA might be involved in haemagglutination when treated serovar C aggregates fixed RBCs in vitro...
- Co-infection of Staphylococcus aureus or Haemophilus paragallinarum exacerbates H9N2 influenza A virus infection in chickensN Kishida
Laboratory of Microbiology, Department of Disease Control, Graduate School of Veterinary Medicine, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan
Arch Virol 149:2095-104. 2004..On the other hand, chickens co-infected with H9N2 virus and either Staphylococcus aureus or Haemophilus paragallinarum showed clinical signs severer than those shown by birds infected only with the virus alone or each of ..
- Simultaneous typing of nine avian respiratory pathogens using a novel GeXP analyzer-based multiplex PCR assayZhixun Xie
Guangxi Key Laboratory of Animal Vaccines and Diagnostics, Guangxi Veterinary Research Institute, 51 You Ai North Road, Nanning 530001, China Electronic address
J Virol Methods 207:188-95. 2014..infectious laryngotracheitis virus (ILTV), Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG), Mycoplasma synoviae (MS) and Haemophilus paragallinarum (HPG)...
- Virulence of South African isolates of Haemophilus paragallinarum. Part 3: experimentally produced NAD-independent isolateM Taole
Department of Microbiology, Biochemistry and Food Science, University of the Free State Bloemfontein, South Africa
Onderstepoort J Vet Res 69:189-96. 2002A NAD-dependent isolate 46 (C-3) of Haemophilus paragallinarum, which was previously demonstrated to be of high virulence, was transformed to NAD independence using a plasmid isolated from a naturally occurring NAD-independent isolate of ..
- Molecular analysis of a haemagglutinin of Haemophilus paragallinarumRhonda I Hobb
Department of Microbiology and Parasitology, School of Molecular and Microbial Sciences, University of Queensland, St Lucia, QLD 4072, Australia
Microbiology 148:2171-9. 2002..paragallinarum haemagglutinin was confirmed by haemagglutination of chicken red blood cells and reactivity, in a Western blot, with the monoclonal antibody specific for the serovar A haemagglutinin...
- Development of a multiplex PCR and PCR-RFLP method for serotyping of Avibacterium paragallinarumRyuichi Sakamoto
Division 2, Second Research Department, The Chemo Sero Therapeutic Research Institute, Kikuchi Research Center, 1314 1 Kawabe Kyokushi, Kikuchi, Kumamoto 869 1298, Japan
J Vet Med Sci 74:271-3. 2012..These results indicate that PCR and PCR-RFLP using the hypervariable region of HMTp210 are alternative methods to identify the serovar of A. paragallinarum...
- Development of an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for the measurement of antibodies against infectious coryza vaccineRyuichi Sakamoto
The Chemo Sero Therapeutic Research Institute, Kikuchi Research Center, 1314 1 Kawabe Kyokushi, Kikuchi shi, Kumamoto, 869 1298, Japan
Avian Dis 56:65-72. 2012..Taken together, the ELISA technique developed in this study is a valuable tool for the measurement of antibodies produced against the infectious coryza vaccine or in response to an infection with A. paragallinarum...
- AvxA, a composite serine-protease-RTX toxin of Avibacterium paragallinarumEliane Küng
Institute of Veterinary Bacteriology, University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
Vet Microbiol 163:290-8. 2013..paragallinarum serotypes A, B and C. This indicates that AvxA is a common major virulence attribute of all A. paragallinarum serotypes...
- Identification and characterization of Ornithobacterium rhinotracheale isolates from MexicoV E Soriano
Departamento de Investigación y Desarrollo Avícola, Biosíntesis Laboratorios SA, Toluca, Mexico
Avian Dis 46:686-90. 2002..No cross-reactions were observed when O. rhinotracheale isolates were tested with Haemophilus paragallinarum antisera, and vice versa...
- Serovar identification, antimicrobial sensitivity, and virulence of Avibacterium paragallinarum isolated from chickens in ThailandKridda Chukiatsiri
Avian Health Research Unit, Faculty of Veterinary Science, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok 10330, Thailand
Avian Dis 56:359-64. 2012..No correlation between serovar and severity of clinical signs was found...
- Development of a recombinant vaccine against infectious coryza in chickensRyuichi Sakamoto
The Chemo Sero Therapeutic Research Institute, Kikuchi Research Center, 1314 1 Kawabe Kyokushi, Kikuchi shi, Kumamoto 869 1298, Japan
Res Vet Sci 94:504-9. 2013..These results demonstrate that the recombinant fusion peptide derived from HMTp210 could be useful for producing effective and safe vaccines against infectious coryza in chickens...
- Antimicrobial susceptibility, plasmid profiles and haemocin activities of Avibacterium paragallinarum strainsYuan Man Hsu
Department of Biological Science and Technology, China Medical University, 91, Hsueh Shih Road, Taichung 404, Taiwan
Vet Microbiol 124:209-18. 2007..The putative virulence plasmid pA14 and haemocin-like activity in A. paragallinarum indicate two possible mechanisms which might be responsible for the pathogenesis...
- Identification and immunogenicity of an immunodominant mimotope of Avibacterium paragallinarum from a phage display peptide libraryHongjun Wang
Key Laboratory of Preventive Veterinary Medicine of Ministry of Agriculture, College of Veterinary Medicine, China Agricultural University, Beijing 100094, China
Vet Microbiol 119:231-9. 2007..coli showed significant protection against challenge with A. paragallinarum 0083. These results indicated a potential for the use of the mimotope in the development of molecular vaccines for infectious coryza...
- Evaluation of the protection conferred by a disinfectant against clinical disease caused by Avibacterium paragallinarum serovars A, B, and C from ArgentinaYosef D Huberman
Instituto Nacional de Tecnologia Agropecuaria INTA, Estación Experimental Agropecuaria EEA Balcarce, Argentina
Avian Dis 49:588-91. 2005..According to these results, in order to diminish the clinical signs of infectious coryza in birds vaccinated against A. paragallinarum, it is recommended to administer this disinfectant in drinking water and by environmental spraying...
- Haemophilus paragallinarum haemagglutinin: role in adhesion, serotyping and pathogenicityT G Barnard
Department of Microbial, Biochemical and Food Biotechnology, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Science, University of the Free State, P O Box 339, Bloemfontein 9301, South Africa
Onderstepoort J Vet Res 75:11-6. 2008It is suggested that Haemophilus paragallinarum requires at least three haemagglutinins for adhesion during infection. This paper reports the partial purification and characterization of the HA-L haemagglutinin from H...
- Protection conferred by bivalent and trivalent infectious coryza bacterins against prevalent serovars of Avibacterium (Haemophilus) paragallinarum in MexicoR P Fernández
Centro de Investigación y Estudios Avanzados en Salud Animal, Facultad de Medicina Veterinaria y Zootecnia, Universidad Autonoma del Estado de Mexico, Instituto Literario No 100, Toluca, Mexico
Avian Dis 49:585-7. 2005..The results confirmed that in poultry areas where serovar B-1 is prevalent, the inclusion of this serovar in bacterins is needed to confer protection against infectious coryza caused by A. (H.) paragallinarum isolates of serovar B-1...
- Haemophilus paragallinarum secretes metalloproteasesP C Rivero-García
Carrera de Biologia, Facultad de Estudios Superiores Iztacala, UNAM, Los Reyes Iztacala, Tlalnepantla, Mexico
Can J Microbiol 51:893-6. 2005b>Haemophilus paragallinarum secretes metalloproteases into different culture media lacking serum...
- Investigations of the occurrence of Avibacterium paragallinarum infections in UgandaD K Byarugaba
Department of Veterinary Microbiology and Parasitology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Makerere University, P O Box 7062, Kampala, Uganda
Avian Dis 51:534-9. 2007..paragallinarum, isolated. A high seroprevalence observed in free-range chickens seems to indicate a subclinical infection under extensive village management conditions...
- A comparison of a blocking ELISA and a haemagglutination inhibition assay for the detection of antibodies to Avibacterium (Haemophilus) paragallinarum in sera from artificially infected chickensH Sun
Institute for Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science, Beijing Academy of Agriculture and Forestry Science, Haidian, Beijing, People s Republic of China
Biologicals 35:317-20. 2007..The highest rate of serovar C HI antibodies was 20% at the fifth and sixth weeks post-infection. The results have provided further evidence of the suitability of the serovar A and C B-ELISAs for the diagnosis of infectious coryza...
- Prevalence of Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae, Actinobacillus suis, Haemophilus parasuis, Pasteurella multocida, and Streptococcus suis in representative Ontario swine herdsJanet I MacInnes
Department of Pathobiology, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario N1G 2W1
Can J Vet Res 72:242-8. 2008..multocida and a move to less virulent A. pleuropneumoniae serovars. As well, there appears to be an increase in prevalence of S. suis serovar 2, 1/2, but this may be a reflection of the use of a more sensitive detection method...
- Phylogenetic relationships of unclassified, satellitic Pasteurellaceae obtained from different species of birds as demonstrated by 16S rRNA gene sequence comparisonHenrik Christensen
Department of Disease Biology, University of Copenhagen, Frederiksberg C, Denmark
Res Microbiol 160:315-21. 2009..to as the V-factor or NAD requirement, have mainly been classified with Avibacterium paragallinarum (Haemophilus paragallinarum), Avibacterium avium (Pasteurella avium), Avibacterium volantium (Pasteurella volantium) and ..
- Analysis of the biosynthesis genes and chemical components of the capsule of Avibacterium paragallinarumJin Ru Wu
Graduate Institute of Microbiology and Public Health, National Chung Hsing University, No 250, Kuokuang Road, Taichung 402, Taiwan
Vet Microbiol 145:90-9. 2010..This is the first report on the existence of different genotypes of capsule biosynthesis genes in Av. paragallinarum and the presence of chondroitin and heparosan as chemical components of the capsule of Av. paragallinarum...
- Identification of Avibacterium paragallinarum serovar B-1 from severe infectious coryza outbreaks in PanamaE N Calderón
Productos Toledano S A, Panama, 0834 00174, Republica de Panama
Avian Dis 54:1095-7. 2010..Disease outbreaks were characterized by an up to 45% drop in egg production and increased mortality. Use of a commercial trivalent bacterin and a strengthened biosecurity program prevented outbreaks in susceptible flocks in the farm...
- Hemagglutinin serotyping of Avibacterium paragallinarum isolates from EcuadorArturo Cabrera
LAVETEC CIA LTDA, Av Diego de Vásquez N75 290 y Av Occidental, Quito, Ecuador
Trop Anim Health Prod 43:549-51. 2011..This is the first report of A. paragallinarum serovar A-3 outside Brazil and serovar C-1 outside Japan...
- Study on the efficacy and safety of different antigens and oil formulations of infectious coryza vaccines containing an NAD-independent strain of Avibacterium paragallinarumB Dungu
Onderstepoort Biological Products, Private Bag X07, Onderstepoort, 0110 South Africa
Onderstepoort J Vet Res 76:299-309. 2009..vaccine, which contain an NAD-independent strain of Avibacterium paragallinarum (previously known as Haemophilus paragallinarum), and a commercial IC vaccine, not containing an NAD-independent strain, for their safety and ability to ..
- Unusual growth variants of Avibacterium paragallinarumP J Blackall
Animal Research Institute, Agri Science Queensland, DEEDI, Yeerongpilly, QLD, Australia
Aust Vet J 89:273-5. 2011..The unusual growth requirements of these two isolates reinforces the need for careful interpretation by diagnostic laboratories examining chickens showing signs of upper respiratory tract disease...
- Intraspecies genetic variability of Ornithobacterium rhinotracheale in commercial birds in PeruYsabel Koga
Department de Microbiologia, Escuela Profesional de Medicina Veterinaria, Universidad Alas Peruanas, Lima 33, Peru, y Bioservice SRL, Lima 35, Peru
Avian Dis 49:108-11. 2005..the identification of ORT produced a specific fragment of 784 base pair (bp), which did not appear in Haemophilus paragallinarum or Pasteurella multocida, microorganisms with similar morphologic and biochemical characteristics that ..
- In vitro investigation of the indirect pathogenicity of beta-lactamase-producing microorganisms in the nasopharyngeal microfloraSatoru Kaieda
Division of Otorhinolaryngology, Department of Translational Medical Science, Nagasaki University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Nagasaki 852 8501, Japan
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 69:479-85. 2005..In this study, we investigated in vitro on the indirect pathogenicities of Haemophilus parainfluenzae (H. parainfluenzae) and Moraxella catarrhalis (M. catarrhalis) against the antipneumococcul activities of some beta-lactams...
- Efficacy of a new tetravalent coryza vaccine against emerging variant type B strainsAnton A C Jacobs
Intervet International BV 5830 P O Box 31 AA Boxmeer, The Netherlands
Avian Pathol 32:265-9. 2003..have been reported in vaccinated flocks in different countries, indicating that new serotype(s) of Haemophilus paragallinarum may have evolved...
- Occurrence of conjunctivitis, sinusitis and upper region tracheitis in Japanese quail (Coturnix coturnix japonica), possibly caused by Mycoplasma gallisepticum accompanied by Cryptosporidium sp. infectionS Murakami
Toubu Animal Health and Hygiene Service Center, 1105 3 Kawaba, Togane, Chiba 283 0064, Japan
Avian Pathol 31:363-70. 2002..negative outcomes, were carried out concerning microbes that are known to cause swollen heads in birds (Haemophilus paragallinarum, Newcastle disease virus and turkey rhinotracheitis virus)...
- Isolation of serovar C-3 Haemophilus paragallinarum from Zimbabwe: A further indication of the need for the production of vaccines against infectious coryza containing local isolates of H. paragallinarumR R Bragg
Department of Microbiology and Biochemistry, University of the Free State, Bloemfontein, South Africa
Onderstepoort J Vet Res 69:129-32. 2002Various isolates of Haemophilus paragallinarum, collected from a severe outbreak of infectious coryza in poultry from Zimbabwe, were serotyped and were found to belong to serovar C-3...
- Targetted localisation and imaging of a murine lymphoma using 131I-labelled monoclonal antibodyK Subbiah
Clinical Research Division, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Indian J Exp Biol 39:993-7. 2001..monoclonal antibody (mAb), DLAB was generated to the Dalton's lymphoma associated antigen (DLAA) from Haemophilus paragallinarum-induced spontaneous fusion...
- Gallinacin-3, an inducible epithelial beta-defensin in the chickenC Zhao
Department of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
Infect Immun 69:2684-91. 2001..expression of gallinacin-3 increased significantly after experimental infection of chickens with Haemophilus paragallinarum, whereas its expression in the tongue, esophagus, and bursa of Fabricius was unaffected...
- Efficacy of a commercially available coryza vaccine against challenge with recent South African NAD-independent isolates of Haemophilus paragallinarum in chickensA A Jacobs
Bacteriological R and D, Intervet International BV, Boxmeer, The Netherlands
J S Afr Vet Assoc 71:109-10. 2000..The results after challenge show that the coryza vaccine induces good protection against challenge with the different South African NAD-independent isolates of H. paragallinarum, including serotype C-3...
- Genetic analysis of a plasmid encoding haemocin production in Haemophilus paragallinarumTamsin D Terry
Department of Microbiology and Parasitology, School of Molecular and Microbial Sciences, The University of Queensland, St Lucia, Queensland 4072, Australia
Microbiology 149:3177-84. 2003The full sequence of plasmid p250, isolated from Haemophilus paragallinarum strain HP250, has been obtained...
- Antigenic secreted proteins from Haemophilus paragallinarum. A 110-kDa putative RTX proteinErika Mena-Rojas
Centro de Investigaciones en Ciencias Microbiológicas, BUAP, Apdo Postal 1622, Puebla 72560, Mexico
FEMS Microbiol Lett 232:83-7. 2004b>Haemophilus paragallinarum is the causal agent of infectious coryza, an economically important disease for the poultry industry...
- Infectious coryza due to Haemophilus paragallinarum serovar B in ChinaP J Zhang
Institute for Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science, Beijing Academy of Agricultural and Forestry Sciences, Beijing, China
Aust Vet J 81:96-7. 2003
- Typing of Haemophilus paragallinarum strains by using enterobacterial repetitive intergenic consensus-based polymerase chain reactionV E Soriano
Centro de Investigación y Estudios Avanzados en Salud Animal, Facultad de Medicina Veterinaria y Zootecnia, Universidad Autonoma del Estado de Mexico, Toluca, 50000, Mexico
Avian Dis 48:890-5. 2004..reaction (ERIC-PCR) technique was used for fingerprinting of reference strains and Mexican isolates of Haemophilus paragallinarum. A total of nine ERIC patterns were given by the nine serovar reference strains of this bacteria...
- Virulence of the nine serovar reference strains of Haemophilus paragallinarumV E Soriano
Centro de Investigación y Estudios Avanzados en Salud Animal, Facultad de Medicina Veterinaria y Zootecnia, Universidad Autonoma del Estado de Mexico, Instituto Literario No 100, Col Centro, Toluca, 50000, Mexico
Avian Dis 48:886-9. 2004The virulence of the reference strains of the nine currently recognized Kume serovars of Haemophilus paragallinarum was investigated. The capacity of the H...
- Reclassification of Pasteurella gallinarum, [Haemophilus] paragallinarum, Pasteurella avium and Pasteurella volantium as Avibacterium gallinarum gen. nov., comb. nov., Avibacterium paragallinarum comb. nov., Avibacterium avium comb. nov. and Avibacterium Patrick J Blackall
Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries, Animal Research Institute, Yeerongpilly, Queensland 4105, Australia
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 55:353-62. 2005....
- Cross-protection study of the nine serovars of Haemophilus paragallinarum in the Kume haemagglutinin schemeEdgardo V Soriano
Centro de Investigación y Estudios Avanzados en Salud Animal, Facultad de Medicina Veterinaria y Zootecnia, Universidad Autonoma del Estado de Mexico, Toluca 50000, Mexico
Avian Pathol 33:506-11. 2004..present in chickens vaccinated with one of the nine currently recognized Kume haemagglutinin serovars of Haemophilus paragallinarum were investigated...
- Genetic organisation of the capsule transport gene region from Haemophilus paragallinarumO De Smidt
Department of Microbial, Biochemical and Food Biotechnology, University of the Free State PO Box 339, Bloemfontein, 9300 South Africa
Onderstepoort J Vet Res 71:139-52. 2004The region involved in export of the capsule polysaccharides to the cell surface of Haemophilus paragallinarum was cloned and the genetic organisation determined...
- The testing and modification of a commercially available transport medium for the transportation of pure cultures of Haemophilus paragallinarum for serotypingR R Bragg
Department of Microbial, Biochemical and Food Biotechnology, University of the Free State P O Box 339, Bloemfontein, 9300 South Africa
Onderstepoort J Vet Res 71:93-8. 2004b>Haemophilus paragallinarum, the causative agent of infectious coryza in poultry, is an extremely fastidious organism requiring specific growth conditions for isolation...
- The presence of nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide-independent Haemophilus paragallinarum in MéxicoA J Garcia
Laboratorios Avilab, Porcicultores 80 Tepatitlan, Jalisco, CP 47600, Mexico
Avian Dis 48:425-9. 2004Two isolates of Haemophilus paragallinarum were obtained from a layer chicken in Mexico. The isolates were confirmed as H. paragallinarum by polymerase chain reaction and conventional biochemical identification...
- Evidence of possible evasion of protective immunity by NAD-independent isolates of Haemophilus paragallinarum in poultryR R Bragg
Department of Microbial, Biochemical and Food Biotechnology, University of the Free State, P O Box 399, Bloemfontein, 9300 South Africa
Onderstepoort J Vet Res 71:53-8. 2004An indication of the ability of NAD-independent variants of Haemophilus paragallinarum to evade the immune system has been obtained from data obtained from several experiments...
- Limitation of the spread and impact of infectious coryza through the use of a continuous disinfection programmeR R Bragg
Department of Microbial, Biochemical and Food Biotechnology, University of the Free State, P O Box 339, Bloemfontein, 9300 South Africa
Onderstepoort J Vet Res 71:1-8. 2004..the non-toxic disinfectant Virukill, in layers, on the spread and impact of infectious coryza, caused by Haemophilus paragallinarum was evaluated...
- Transferrin binding protein two interacts with both the N-lobe and C-lobe of ovotransferrinJ Alcantara
Department of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Microb Pathog 20:73-85. 1996..identify the region(s) of ovotransferrin involved in binding to the bacterial transferrin receptors from Haemophilus paragallinarum and Haemophilus avium...