Genomes and Genes
Summary: A species of gram-negative, facultatively anaerobic, rod-shaped bacteria found in humans and other animals including MAMMALS; BIRDS; REPTILES; and AMPHIBIANS. It has also been isolated from SOIL and WATER as well as from clinical specimens such as URINE; THROAT; SPUTUM; BLOOD; and wound swabs as an opportunistic pathogen.
Publications198 found, 100 shown here
- Prevalence of decreased susceptibility to carbapenems among Serratia marcescens, Enterobacter cloacae, and Citrobacter freundii and investigation of carbapenemasesHae Kyung Lee
Department of Clinical Pathology, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Kangnam St Mary s Hospital, Seoul 137 040, Republic of Korea
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 52:331-6. 2005..Between March and July 2002, total of 612 clinical isolates of Serratia marcescens, Enterobacter cloacae, and Citrobacter freundii (201 S. marcescens, 228 E. cloacae, and 183 C...
- Community-onset disease caused by Citrobacter freundii producing a novel CTX-M beta-lactamase, CTX-M-30, in CanadaBaha Abdalhamid
Center for Research in Antiinfectives and Biotechnology, Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, Creighton University School of Medicine, 2500 California Plaza, Omaha, NE 68178, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:4435-7. 2004Strains of Citrobacter freundii intermediate to cefotaxime but sensitive to ceftazidime were isolated from four different patients in Canada...
- Origin and evolution of the AmpC beta-lactamases of Citrobacter freundiiMiriam Barlow
Biology Department, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York 14627, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:1190-8. 2002To determine whether the widespread clinical use of beta-lactams has been selective for Citrobacter freundii-derived alleles of plasmid ampC genes, we generated a Bayesian consensus phylogeny of the published ampC sequences and compared ..
- Isolation and identification of a bacteriocin with antibacterial and antibiofilm activity from Citrobacter freundiiRobert M Q Shanks
Campbell Laboratory of Ophthalmic Microbiology, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Arch Microbiol 194:575-87. 2012..One compound isolated from Citrobacter freundii exhibited antimicrobial activity against a wide range of Gram-negative bacteria and was effective against ..
- Diarrhea-associated biofilm formed by enteroaggregative Escherichia coli and aggregative Citrobacter freundii: a consortium mediated by putative F piliAlex L Pereira
Laboratorio de Microbiologia, Departamento de Biologia Celular, Universidade de Brasilia, Brasilia, DF, Brazil
BMC Microbiol 10:57. 2010..b>Citrobacter freundii is classically considered as an indigenous intestinal species that is sporadically associated with diarrhea.
- First detection of the Ambler class C 1 AmpC beta-lactamase in Citrobacter freundii by a new, simple double-disk synergy testEtienne Ruppe
Universite Paris VII, UFR médicale, EA 3105, Laboratoire d Etudes de Génétique Bactérienne dans les Infections de l Enfant, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Service de Microbiologie, Hopital Robert Debre, Paris, France
J Clin Microbiol 44:4204-7. 2006....
- Prevalence and diversity of qnr alleles in AmpC-producing Enterobacter cloacae, Enterobacter aerogenes, Citrobacter freundii and Serratia marcescens: a multicentre study from KoreaYeon Joon Park
Department of Clinical Pathology, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Kangnam St Mary s Hospital, 505 Banpo Dong, Seocho Ku, Seoul 137 701, Korea
J Antimicrob Chemother 60:868-71. 2007..To investigate the prevalence of qnr determinants, their influence on quinolone susceptibility and their association with other plasmid-mediated genes in AmpC-producing Enterobacteriaceae without any selection criteria...
- Detection of the Klebsiella pneumoniae carbapenemase type 2 Carbapenem-hydrolyzing enzyme in clinical isolates of Citrobacter freundii and K. oxytoca carrying a common plasmidJ Kamile Rasheed
Division of Healthcare Quality Promotion, National Center for the Prevention, Detection and Control of Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
J Clin Microbiol 46:2066-9. 2008The Klebsiella pneumoniae carbapenemase (KPC) was detected in carbapenem-resistant isolates of Citrobacter freundii and Klebsiella oxytoca recovered from different patients in a Michigan hospital...
- Intracellular accumulation of linezolid in Escherichia coli, Citrobacter freundii and Enterobacter aerogenes: role of enhanced efflux pump activity and inactivationAnja Schumacher
Center for Infectious Diseases and Travel Medicine, University Hospital Hugstetter Strasse 55, Freiburg, Germany
J Antimicrob Chemother 59:1261-4. 2007..We hypothesized that the poor activity of linezolid in Gram-negative bacteria is in part caused by relatively low intracellular concentration due to efflux...
- Integration host factor and cyclic AMP receptor protein are required for TyrR-mediated activation of tpl in Citrobacter freundiiQ Bai
Department of Biochemistry, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907, USA
J Bacteriol 180:6173-86. 1998The tpl gene of Citrobacter freundii encodes an enzyme that catalyzes the conversion of L-tyrosine to phenol, pyruvate, and ammonia. This gene is known to be positively regulated by TyrR...
- Gene expression profiling in the skin of zebrafish infected with Citrobacter freundiiAijun Lu
School of Life Sciences, Key Laboratory for Biotechnology on Medicinal Plants of Jiangsu Province, Xuzhou Normal University, Xuzhou 221116, China
Fish Shellfish Immunol 32:273-83. 2012..was used to assess gene expression in the skin of zebrafish (Danio rerio) infected with the bacterium Citrobacter freundii. The results showed that 229 genes were differentially expressed, of which 196 genes were upregulated and ..
- Detection and spread of carbapenem-resistant Citrobacter freundii in a teaching hospital in ChinaShudan Chen
State Key Laboratory of Genetic Engineering, Institute of Genetics, School of Life Sciences, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
Am J Infect Control 39:e55-60. 2011We examined the detection and spread of carbapenem-resistant Citrobacter freundii in Huashan Hospital, Shanghai, China between 2005 and 2008.
- QnrB9 in association with TEM-116 extended-spectrum beta-lactamase in Citrobacter freundii isolated from sewage effluent: first report from ItalyC Forcella
Dipartimento di Scienze e Tecnologie Biomediche, University of L Aquila, Italy
J Chemother 22:243-5. 2010..the present study was to investigate the mechanism of quinolone and beta-lactam resistance in an isolate of Citrobacter freundii PC2/08 collected from sewage effluent from l'Aquila, Italy...
- Occurrence of extended-spectrum beta-lactamases among chromosomal AmpC-producing Enterobacter cloacae, Citrobacter freundii, and Serratia marcescens in Korea and investigation of screening criteriaYeon Joon Park
Department of Clinical Pathology, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Kangnam St Mary s Hospital, Seoul 137 040, Korea
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 51:265-9. 2005..criterion for extended-spectrum beta-lactamases (ESBLs) among AmpC-producing Enterobacter cloacae, Citrobacter freundii, and Serratia marcescens. The 413 isolates (158 E. cloacae, 126 C. freundii, and 129 S...
- Spontaneous Citrobacter freundii infection in an immunocompetent patientJason G Whalen
Arch Dermatol 143:124-5. 2007
- Expression of Vi antigen in Escherichia coli K-12: characterization of ViaB from Citrobacter freundii and identity of ViaA with RcsBH S Houng
Department of Bacterial Immunology, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Washington, D C 20307
J Bacteriol 174:5910-5. 1992..b>Citrobacter freundii, not usually a common human pathogen, also expresses the Vi antigen but expresses it unstably, exhibiting a ..
- Biohydrogen production by Enterobacter cloacae and Citrobacter freundii in carrier induced granulesLiam Jed Thompson
School of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of the Witwatersrand, Private Bag 3, Wits 2050, South Africa
Biotechnol Lett 30:271-4. 2008Carrier induced granular particles comprising Enterobacter cloacae and Citrobacter freundii were used to generate H(2) from sucrose in an anaerobic fluidized bed bioreactor. At a hydraulic retention time of 4.5 h, 95...
- Citrobacter freundii peritonitis and tunnel infection in a patient on continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysisErkan Dervisoglu
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Nephrology, School of Medicine, Kocaeli University, Kocaeli 41380, Turkey
J Med Microbiol 57:125-7. 2008..ambulatory peritoneal dialysis who developed peritonitis and tunnel infection due to an unusual pathogen, Citrobacter freundii, is described...
- High prevalence of qnr and aac(6')-Ib-cr genes in both water-borne environmental bacteria and clinical isolates of Citrobacter freundii in ChinaRong Zhang
Second Affiliated Hospital of Zhejiang University, Zhejiang University, 88 Jiefang Rd, Hangzhou 310009, China
Microbes Environ 27:158-63. 2012..from surface water samples obtained from 10 different locations in Hangzhou City, and clinical isolates of Citrobacter freundii were isolated from several hospitals in four cities in China...
- Resistance to extended-spectrum cephalosporins and mortality in patients with Citrobacter freundii bacteremiaB N Kim
Division of Infectious Diseases, Keimyung University Dongsan Medical Center, Daegu, Korea
Infection 31:202-7. 2003This study was performed to characterize the clinical features and to identify the risk factors for resistance to extended-spectrum cephalosporins (ESCs) and for mortality in patients with Citrobacter freundii bacteremia.
- Shiga toxin-encoding bacteriophages--genomes in motionSylvia Herold
Institut fur Medizinische Mikrobiologie und Hygiene, Medizinische Fakultät Carl Gustav Carus, Technische Universitat Dresden, Fetscherstrasse 74, D 01037 Dresden, Germany
Int J Med Microbiol 294:115-21. 2004..coli isolated from human and non-human sources, Shigella dysenteriae type 1, and sporadically, by Citrobacter freundii, Enterobacter cloacae and Shigella flexneri...
- Evaluation of the immunogenicity and biological activity of the Citrobacter freundii Vi-CRM197 conjugate as a vaccine for Salmonella enterica serovar TyphiSimona Rondini
Novartis Vaccines Institute for Global Health, Via Fiorentina 1, 53100 Siena, Italy
Clin Vaccine Immunol 18:460-8. 2011..Typhi, Vi-CRM(197), where Vi was obtained from Citrobacter freundii WR7011 and CRM(197), the mutant diphtheria toxin protein, was used as the carrier...
- Conversion of tyrosine phenol-lyase to dicarboxylic amino acid beta-lyase, an enzyme not found in natureB Mouratou
, , Switzerland
J Biol Chem 274:1320-5. 1999..001 s-1) were the only reactions observed. Thus, TPL R100T/V283R accepts dicarboxylic amino acids as substrates without significant change in its reaction specificity. Dicarboxylic amino acid beta-lyase is an enzyme not found in nature...
- High-level carbapenem resistance in a Citrobacter freundii clinical isolate is due to a combination of KPC-2 production and decreased porin expressionRong Zhang
Second Affiliated Hospital of Zhejiang University, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, PR China
J Med Microbiol 57:332-7. 2008An imipenem-resistant isolate of Citrobacter freundii ZJ163 (MIC 256 microg ml(-1)) isolated from a Chinese hospital was investigated. The C...
- A gene encoding L-methionine gamma-lyase is present in Enterobacteriaceae family genomes: identification and characterization of Citrobacter freundii L-methionine gamma-lyaseIlya V Manukhov
State Research Institute of Genetic and Selection of Industrial Microorganisms, 1st Dorozhnii pr 1, Moscow 117545, Russia
J Bacteriol 187:3889-93. 2005b>Citrobacter freundii cells produce L-methionine gamma-lyase when grown on a medium containing L-methionine. The nucleotide sequence of the hybrid plasmid with a C. freundii EcoRI insert of about 3...
- Crystals of tryptophan indole-lyase and tyrosine phenol-lyase form stable quinonoid complexesRobert S Phillips
Department of Chemistry, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia 30602, USA
J Biol Chem 277:21592-7. 2002..substrates and inhibitors to wild-type Proteus vulgaris tryptophan indole-lyase and to wild type and Y71F Citrobacter freundii tyrosine phenol-lyase was investigated in the crystalline state by polarized absorption ..
- Structures of apo- and holo-tyrosine phenol-lyase reveal a catalytically critical closed conformation and suggest a mechanism for activation by K+ ionsDalibor Milić
Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, University of Zagreb, Horvatovac 102a, HR 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
Biochemistry 45:7544-52. 2006..Here we describe the crystal structure of the Citrobacter freundii holoenzyme at 1.9 A resolution...
- Enzymatic synthesis of aza-l-tyrosinesE B Watkins
Department of Medicinal Chemistry, University of Mississippi, University, MS 38677, USA
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 11:2099-100. 2001Tyrosine phenol-lyase from Citrobacter freundii synthesizes 2-aza-L-tyrosine and 3-aza-L-tyrosine from 3-hydroxypyridine and 2-hydroxypyridine, respectively, and ammonium pyruvate.
- Insights into the catalytic mechanism of tyrosine phenol-lyase from X-ray structures of quinonoid intermediatesDalibor Milić
Laboratory of General and Inorganic Chemistry, Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, University of Zagreb, Horvatovac 102a, HR 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
J Biol Chem 283:29206-14. 2008..We trapped the quinonoid intermediates of Citrobacter freundii tyrosine phenol-lyase with L-alanine and L-methionine in the crystalline state and determined their ..
- Threonine-124 and phenylalanine-448 in Citrobacter freundii tyrosine phenol-lyase are necessary for activity with L-tyrosineTatyana V Demidkina
Engelhardt Institute of Molecular Biology, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russia
Biochem J 363:745-52. 2002Thr-124 and Phe-448 are located in the active site of Citrobacter freundii tyrosine phenol-lyase (TPL) near the phenol ring of a bound substrate analogue, 3-(4'-hydroxyphenyl)propionic acid [Sundararaju, Antson, Phillips, Demidkina, ..
- Aminoacrylate intermediates in the reaction of Citrobacter freundii tyrosine phenol-lyaseRobert S Phillips
Department of Chemistry, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia 30602 2556, USA
Biochemistry 45:9575-83. 2006Tyrosine phenol-lyase (TPL) from Citrobacter freundii is a pyridoxal 5'-phosphate (PLP)-dependent enzyme that catalyzes the reversible hydrolytic cleavage of l-Tyr to give phenol and ammonium pyruvate...
- KHM-1, a novel plasmid-mediated metallo-beta-lactamase from a Citrobacter freundii clinical isolateJun ichiro Sekiguchi
Department of Infectious Diseases, Research Institute, International Medical Center of Japan, Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:4194-7. 2008A novel gene, bla(KHM-1), encoding a metallo-beta-lactamase, KHM-1, was cloned from a clinical isolate of Citrobacter freundii resistant to most beta-lactam antibiotics...
- Vertical transmission of Citrobacter freundiiT J Malpas
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 89:F280-1. 2004
- Prevalence and characteristics of aac(6')-Ib-cr in AmpC-producing Enterobacter cloacae, Citrobacter freundii, and Serratia marcescens: a multicenter study from KoreaSoo Young Kim
Department of Laboratory Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, St Vincent s Hospital, Paldal Gu, Suwon, South Korea
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 63:314-8. 2009..A total of 479 clinical isolates of Enterobacter cloacae (179), Citrobacter freundii (134), and Serratia marcescens (166) from 12 laboratories between March and July 2005 were examined...
- Three-dimensional structure of tyrosine phenol-lyaseA A Antson
Shubnikov Institute of Crystallography, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow
Biochemistry 32:4195-206. 1993Tyrosine phenol-lyase (EC 22.214.171.124) from Citrobacter freundii has been cloned and the primary sequence deduced from the DNA sequence. From the BrCN digest of the NaBH4-reduced holoenzyme, five peptides were purified and sequenced...
- Binding of phenol and analogues to alanine complexes of tyrosine phenol-lyase from Citrobacter freundii: implications for the mechanisms of alpha,beta-elimination and alanine racemizationH Chen
Department of Chemistry, University of Georgia, Athens 30602
Biochemistry 32:11591-9. 1993We have examined the interaction of Citrobacter freundii tyrosine phenol-lyase with both L- and D-alanine...
- Site-directed mutagenesis of tyrosine-71 to phenylalanine in Citrobacter freundii tyrosine phenol-lyase: evidence for dual roles of tyrosine-71 as a general acid catalyst in the reaction mechanism and in cofactor bindingH Y Chen
Department of Chemistry, University of Georgia, Athens 30602 2556, USA
Biochemistry 34:12276-83. 1995..The PLP binding constant of Y71F TPL is estimated to be 1 mM by spectrophotometric titration, compared to 0.6 microM for wild-type TPL.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Mutational analysis of the catalytic centre of the Citrobacter freundii AmpD N-acetylmuramyl-L-alanine amidaseCatherine Généreux
Center for Protein Engineering, Liege University, Institut de Chimie, B6, Sart Tilman, B 4000 Liege, Belgium
Biochem J 377:111-20. 2004b>Citrobacter freundii AmpD is an intracellular 1,6-anhydro-N-acetylmuramyl-L-alanine amidase involved in both peptidoglycan recycling and beta-lactamase induction...
- Relationships of the Escherichia coli O157, O111, and O55 O-antigen gene clusters with those of Salmonella enterica and Citrobacter freundii, which express identical O antigensGabrielle Samuel
School of Molecular and Microbial Biosciences, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
J Bacteriol 186:6536-43. 2004Escherichia coli O157, Salmonella enterica O30, and Citrobacter freundii F90 have identical O-antigen structures, as do E. coli O55 and S. enterica O50. The O-antigen gene cluster sequences for E. coli O157 and E...
- The crystal structure of Citrobacter freundii tyrosine phenol-lyase complexed with 3-(4'-hydroxyphenyl)propionic acid, together with site-directed mutagenesis and kinetic analysis, demonstrates that arginine 381 is required for substrate specificityB Sundararaju
Department of Chemistry, Center for Metalloenzyme Studies, University of Georgia, Athens 30602, USA
Biochemistry 36:6502-10. 1997..M., & Phillips. R. S. (1988) Biochemistry 27, 7333-7338], and hence Arg 381 is at least partially responsible for the substrate specificity of TPL...
- Inactivation of tyrosine phenol-lyase by Pictet-Spengler reaction and alleviation by T15A mutation on intertwined N-terminal armSeung Goo Lee
Systems Microbiology Research Center, KRIBB, Daejeon, Korea
FEBS J 273:5564-73. 2006....
- Site-directed mutagenesis of His343-->Ala in Citrobacter freundii tyrosine phenol-lyase. Effects on the kinetic mechanism and rate-determining stepH Chen
Department of Biochemistry, University of Georgia, Athens, USA
Eur J Biochem 229:540-9. 1995His343 in Citrobacter freundii tyrosine phenol-lyase is conserved in all known sequences of both tyrosine phenol-lyase and tryptophan indole-lyase; it is located near the active-site Lys257 in C. freundii tyrosine phenol-lyase [Antson, A...
- Cloning and characterization of genes encoding homologues of the B subunit of cholera toxin and the Escherichia coli heat-labile enterotoxin from clinical isolates of Citrobacter freundii and E. coliTadahiro Karasawa
Department of Bacteriology, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kanazawa University, 13 1 Takara machi, Japan
Infect Immun 70:7153-5. 2002..of cholera toxin (CTB) and heat-labile enterotoxin (LTB) of Escherichia coli from a clinical isolate of Citrobacter freundii that was found to produce a factor in the culture supernatant that cross-reacted with antibodies to CTB and ..
- Epidemiological risk factors for isolation of ceftriaxone-resistant versus -susceptible citrobacter freundii in hospitalized patientsPeter W Kim
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 47:2882-7. 2003..Risk factors for the recovery of ceftriaxone-resistant (CRCF) or -susceptible (CSCF) Citrobacter freundii in clinical cultures from hospitalized patients were determined by using a case-case-control study design...
- Effects of an alternative cefepime dosing strategy in pulmonary and bloodstream infections caused by Enterobacter spp, Citrobacter freundii, and Pseudomonas aeruginosa: a single-center, open-label, prospective, observational studyEli N Deal
Department of Pharmacy, Barnes Jewish Hospital, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Clin Ther 31:299-310. 2009....
- Carbohydrate binding specificities and crystal structure of the cholera toxin-like B-subunit from Citrobacter freundiiLena Jansson
Institute of Biomedicine, Department of Medical Biochemistry and Cell Biology, University of Gothenburg, PO Box 440, SE 40530 Goteborg, Sweden
Biochimie 92:482-90. 2010..coli is produced by certain strains of enteropathogenic E. coli and by Citrobacter freundii. This C. freundii B-subunit (CFXB) has now been expressed in V. cholerae, and isolated in high yields...
- Use of microdilution panels with and without beta-lactamase inhibitors as a phenotypic test for beta-lactamase production among Escherichia coli, Klebsiella spp., Enterobacter spp., Citrobacter freundii, and Serratia marcescensK S Thomson
Center for Research in Anti Infectives and Biotechnology, Creighton University School of Medicine, Omaha, Nebraska 68178, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 43:1393-400. 1999..Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Klebsiella oxytoca, Enterobacter cloacae, Enterobacter aerogenes, Citrobacter freundii, and Serratia marcescens possessing well-characterized beta-lactamases...
- Characterization and nucleotide sequence of a Klebsiella oxytoca cryptic plasmid encoding a CMY-type beta-lactamase: confirmation that the plasmid-mediated cephamycinase originated from the Citrobacter freundii AmpC beta-lactamaseS W Wu
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Division of Clinical Microbiology, Karolinska Institute and Karolinska Hospital, 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 43:1350-7. 1999..pneumoniae and the chromosomal AmpC of Citrobacter freundii, with 99.7 and 97...
- Functional analysis of replication and stability regions of broad-host-range conjugative plasmid CTX-M3 from the IncL/M incompatibility groupJolanta Mierzejewska
Institute of Biochemistry and Biophysics, PAS, 02 106 Warsaw, Pawinskiego 5A, Poland
Plasmid 57:95-107. 2007Plasmid CTX-M3 (89 kb) isolated from Citrobacter freundii from a Warsaw hospital is a mosaic plasmid with replication functions 100% identical with those of pMU407...
- Co-production of 16S rRNA methylases and extended-spectrum beta-lactamases in AmpC-producing Enterobacter cloacae, Citrobacter freundii and Serratia marcescens in KoreaYeon Joon Park
J Antimicrob Chemother 58:907-8. 2006
- NMR structure of Citrobacter freundii AmpD, comparison with bacteriophage T7 lysozyme and homology with PGRP domainsEdvards Liepinsh
Department of Medical Biochemistry, Karolinska Institute, S 17177 Stockholm, Sweden
J Mol Biol 327:833-42. 2003..Here, we report the NMR structure of AmpD from Citrobacter freundii (PDB accession code 1J3G)...
- Crystal structure of the Citrobacter freundii dihydroxyacetone kinase reveals an eight-stranded alpha-helical barrel ATP-binding domainChristian Siebold
Departement fur Chemie und Biochemie, Universitat Bern, Freiestrasse 3, CH 3012 Bern, Switzerland
J Biol Chem 278:48236-44. 2003..Here we report the 2.5-A crystal structure of the homodimeric Citrobacter freundii dihydroxyacetone kinase complex with an ATP analogue and dihydroxyacetone...
- Metallo-beta-lactamase-producing Enterobacteriaceae isolates in a university hospital in Taiwan: prevalence of IMP-8 in Enterobacter cloacae and first identification of VIM-2 in Citrobacter freundiiJing Jou Yan
Department of Pathology, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, No 1 University Road, Tainan 70101, Taiwan
J Antimicrob Chemother 50:503-11. 2002..Thirty-six (2.9%) of the 1261 Enterobacter cloacae isolates and one (0.3%) of the 340 Citrobacter freundii isolates were found to carry bla(IMP-8) and bla(VIM-2), respectively, by colony hybridization, PCR and ..
- Evaluation of Phoenix Automated Microbiology System for detecting extended-spectrum beta-lactamases among chromosomal AmpC-producing Enterobacter cloacae, Enterobacter aerogenes, Citrobacter freundii, and Serratia marcescensYeon Joon Park
Department of Laboratory Medicine, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Kangnam St Mary s Hospital, 505 Banpo Dong, Seocho Ku, Seoul 137 701, Korea
Ann Clin Lab Sci 37:75-8. 2007..ESBL) detection test among chromosomal AmpC-producing Enterobacter cloacae, Enterobacter aerogenes, Citrobacter freundii, and Serratia marcescens. The study was conducted on 72 non-repetitive ESBL producers (33 E. cloacae, 13 E...
- Detection of extended-spectrum beta-lactamases among Enterobacteriaceae by use of semiautomated microbiology systems and manual detection proceduresIrith Wiegand
Institute for Medical Microbiology, Immunology, and Hygiene, University of Cologne, Goldenfelsstr 19 21, 50935 Cologne, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 45:1167-74. 2007..Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Klebsiella oxytoca, Enterobacter cloacae, Enterobacter aerogenes, Citrobacter freundii, Serratia marcescens, Proteus mirabilis, Proteus vulgaris, and Morganella morganii were investigated...
- Boronic acid disk tests for identification of extended-spectrum beta-lactamase production in clinical isolates of Enterobacteriaceae producing chromosomal AmpC beta-lactamasesSeok Hoon Jeong
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Int J Antimicrob Agents 31:467-71. 2008..A total of 197 clinical isolates of Enterobacter spp. (n=100), Serratia marcescens (n=62) and Citrobacter freundii (n=35) were analysed...
- Pelvic inflammatory disease caused by citrobacterD D'SOUZA
Obstetrics and Gynaecology Department, South Warwickshire NHS Trust, Warwick, UK
J Obstet Gynaecol 25:520-1. 2005
- CFE-1, a novel plasmid-encoded AmpC beta-lactamase with an ampR gene originating from Citrobacter freundiiRyuichi Nakano
Department of Microbiology, School of Medicine and Environmental Infectious Disease, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kitasato University, Sagamihara, Kanagawa, Japan
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:1151-8. 2004..coli, proved to contain an open reading frame showing 99.8% DNA sequence identity with the ampC gene of Citrobacter freundii GC3. DNA sequence analysis also identified a gene upstream of ampC whose sequence was 99...
- First detection of a VIM-1 metallo-beta-lactamase in a carbapenem-resistant Citrobacter freundii clinical isolate in an acute hospital in GermanyJan Weile
Department of Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, Robert Bosch Hospital, Stuttgart, Germany
Scand J Infect Dis 39:264-6. 2007We report the first detection of a carbapenem-resistant Citrobacter freundii clinical strain in Germany. It was isolated from an abscess of a patient with acute necrotic pancreatitis in an acute hospital...
- Epididymitis after prostate brachytherapyS Christopher Hoffelt
Department of Radiation Oncology, Oregon Health and Sciences University, Portland, Oregon, USA
Urology 63:293-6. 2004..To analyze the incidence, time-course, and potential predisposing factors for what was clinically diagnosed as postimplant epididymitis...
- Dissemination and persistence of a plasmid-mediated TEM-3-like beta-lactamase, TEM-139, among Enterobacteriaceae in BulgariaInes Schneider
MICOER Institute, Hesseloherstrasse 4, 80802 Munich, Germany
Int J Antimicrob Agents 29:710-4. 2007..from 1996 to 2003, a TEM-3-like ESBL was detected in strains of Klebsiella pneumoniae, Escherichia coli, Citrobacter freundii and Klebsiella oxytoca from three centres in three different towns...
- Biochemical characterization of PER-2 and genetic environment of blaPER-2Pablo Power
Catedra de Microbiologia, Facultad de Farmacia y Bioquimica, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:2359-65. 2007..b>Citrobacter freundii 33587 was isolated in 1999 in Buenos Aires and was resistant to all tested beta-lactams except cephamycins ..
- Cefotaxime-resistant Citrobacter freundii in isolates from blood in a tertiary teaching hospital in Northern TaiwanChang Pan Liu
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
J Infect 55:363-8. 2007..2003, 12 patients in a tertiary teaching hospital in northern Taiwan had bloodstream infections caused by Citrobacter freundii. Seven of the 12 isolates were resistant to cefotaxime...
- A Salmonella fim homologue in Citrobacter freundii mediates invasion in vitro and crossing of the blood-brain barrier in the rat pup modelPetra Hess
Institut für Molekulare Infektionsbiologie, University of Wurzburg, Rontgenring 11, 97070 Wurzburg, Germany
Infect Immun 72:5298-307. 2004From the invasive Citrobacter freundii strain 3009, an invasion determinant was cloned, sequenced, and expressed...
- Sepsis in a renal transplant recipient due to Citrobacter braakiiRajiv Gupta
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555 0562, USA
South Med J 96:796-8. 2003..Citrobacter braakii refers to the genomospecies 6 of the Citrobacter freundii complex. There are no detailed studies of infections caused by the newly formed specific genetic species...
- Klebsiella pneumoniae Carbapenemase-2, Buenos Aires, ArgentinaFernando G Pasteran
Emerg Infect Dis 14:1178-80. 2008
- Emergence of a cefepime- and cefpirome-resistant Citrobacter freundii clinical isolate harbouring a novel chromosomally encoded AmpC beta-lactamase, CMY-37Ashraf M Ahmed
Laboratory of Food Microbiology and Hygiene, Graduate School of Biosphere Science, Hiroshima University, Higashi Hiroshima, Japan
Int J Antimicrob Agents 32:256-61. 2008b>Citrobacter freundii strain 4306 was isolated from a urine specimen of a patient in March 2006 in Palestine...
- Spread of novel expanded-spectrum beta-lactamases in Enterobacteriaceae in a university hospital in the Paris area, FranceM F Lartigue
Service de Bacteriologie Virologie, Hopital de Bicetre, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Faculte de Medecine Paris Sud, K Bicêtre, France
Clin Microbiol Infect 11:588-91. 2005..coli, two Enterobacter cloacae, one Enterobacter aerogenes, one Proteus mirabilis and one Citrobacter freundii). Other ESBLs, such as VEB-1 and PER-1, were also detected, but less frequently.
- Plasmid-mediated quinolone resistance determinants among enterobacterial isolates from outpatients in BrazilLuciene A R Minarini
Service de Bacteriologie Virologie, INSERM U914 Emerging Resistance to Antibiotics, Hopital de Bicetre, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Universite Paris XI, 78, rue du General Leclerc, 94275 K Bicêtre, France
J Antimicrob Chemother 62:474-8. 2008....
- Emergence of cefotaxime resistance in Citrobacter freundii causing necrotizing fasciitis and osteomyelitisYu Min Chuang
Department of Internal Medicine, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
J Infect 53:e161-3. 2006We present a diabetic patient with necrotizing fasciitis caused by Citrobacter freundii associated with an injury from the fish fin...
- The effects of bee (Apis mellifera) venom phospholipase A2 on Trypanosoma brucei brucei and enterobacteriaM C F Boutrin
Centre for Parasitology and Infectious Diseases, Biomedical Sciences Research Institute, School of Environment and Life Sciences, University of Salford, The Crescent Salford, Lancs M5 4WT, United Kingdom
Exp Parasitol 119:246-51. 2008..the survival of Trypanosoma brucei brucei, 2h and 12h cultures of Enterobacter cloacae, Escherichia coli, Citrobacter freundii were studied. About 1 mg ml(-1) bvPLA2 was trypanocidal after 30 min...
- Model system to evaluate the effect of ampD mutations on AmpC-mediated beta-lactam resistanceAmber J Schmidtke
Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, Creighton University, Omaha, NE 68178, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:2030-7. 2006..ampD genes were amplified by PCR from strains of E. coli, Citrobacter freundii, and Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Also, carboxy-terminal truncations of C...
- [Transference of extended-spectrum beta-lactamases from nosocomial strains of Klebsiella pneumoniae to other species of Enterobacteriaceae]Magaly Sánchez U
Grupo de Investigación en Resistencia a Antibióticos, Departamento de Microbiologia, Facultad de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidad de Concepcion, Chile
Rev Med Chil 134:415-20. 2006..The resistance to 3GC is mainly due to the synthesis of extended spectrum beta lactamases (ESBL), encoded by conjugative plasmids...
- Four variants of the Citrobacter freundii AmpC-Type cephalosporinases, including novel enzymes CMY-14 and CMY-15, in a Proteus mirabilis clone widespread in PolandElzbieta Literacka
National Institute of Public Health, ul Chełmska 30 34, 00 725 Warsaw, Poland
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:4136-43. 2004..The enzymes were of Citrobacter freundii origin and were closely related to each other, with CMY-4 likely being the evolutionary precursor of the ..
- Citrobacter infections in a tertiary care hospital in Northern IndiaSrujana Mohanty
Department of Microbiology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi 110029, India
J Infect 54:58-64. 2007..This prospective study was carried out to look for the frequency of isolation of Citrobacter species from clinical specimens and study their antimicrobial susceptibility pattern...
- CMY-20, a novel AmpC-type beta-lactamase from South African clinical Escherichia coli isolatesChunderika Mocktar
School of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, University of KwaZulu Natal, 4000 Durban, South Africa
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 60:405-8. 2008..found to be >94% identical to the nucleotide sequences of the plasmid-mediated AmpC-type beta-lactamases originating from Citrobacter freundii. This enzyme differed from CMY-2 by 3 amino acid substitutions and was designated CMY-20.
- Resistance to gram-negative organisms due to high-level expression of plasmid-encoded ampC beta-lactamase blaCMY-4 promoted by insertion sequence ISEcp1Ryuichi Nakano
School of Medicine and Environmental Infectious Diseases, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kitasato University, 1 15 1 Kitasato, Sagamihara, Kanagawa 228 8555, Japan
J Infect Chemother 13:18-23. 2007..Sequence analysis indicated that the promoter element of Citrobacter freundii was conserved, but the insertion sequence ISEcp1 coding with the putative promoter element, was inserted ..
- A sequential study of serum bacterial DNA in patients with advanced cirrhosis and ascitesRubén Francés
Unidad Hepática Sección de Inmunología, Alicante, Spain
Hepatology 39:484-91. 2004..In conclusion, bacterial translocation is a single-species, dynamic process that appears to develop in a subgroup of patients with advanced cirrhosis...
- Intimin-specific immune responses prevent bacterial colonization by the attaching-effacing pathogen Citrobacter rodentiumM Ghaem-Maghami
Centre for Molecular Microbiology and Infection, Department of Biochemistry, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, South Kensington, London SW7 2AZ, United Kingdom
Infect Immun 69:5597-605. 2001..These results show that anti-intimin immune responses can modulate the outcome of a C. rodentium infection and support the use of intimin as a component of a type-specific EPEC or EHEC vaccine...
- Clonal origin of aminoglycoside-resistant Citrobacter freundii isolates in a Danish countyN Nørskov-Lauritsen
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Aalborg Hospital, Denmark
J Med Microbiol 50:636-41. 2001..The source of the strain remains unresolved. Representative isolates were obtained from various specimens from hospitals and general practice throughout the county, with no evidence of patient-to-patient transmission...
- Acute tonsillitis complicated by retropharyngeal and thyroid abscess infected with de-repressed beta lactamase Citrobacter mutansS Maini
Department of ENT, Royal Gwent Hospital, Newport, Gwent, UK
J Laryngol Otol 115:327-9. 2001..Spontaneous rupture of retropharyngeal abscess resulted in necrotic fistulae between the pharyngeal wall and the retropharyngeal space...
- [Characterization and distribution of Citrobacter species in a university hospital]S Manganello
, , , , Universidad de Buenos Aires, Argentina
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 19:11-4. 2001..koseri was isolated from urine principally (p Fisher < 0.0372). CONCLUSIONS: The genus Citrobacter is an important opportunistic pathogen that can be identified in clinical microbiology laboratories using O'Hara's method...
- AmpG, a signal transducer in chromosomal beta-lactamase inductionS Lindquist
Department of Microbiology, University of Umea, Sweden
Mol Microbiol 9:703-15. 1993The chromosomal ampC beta-lactamase in Citrobacter freundii and Enterobacter cloacae is inducible by beta-lactam antibiotics...
- Bacterial invasion and transcytosis in transfected human brain microvascular endothelial cellsM F Stins
Division of Infectious Diseases, Children's Hospital Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Microb Pathog 30:19-28. 2001..freundii are able to invade and transcytose HBMEC and these bacterial-HBMEC interactions are similar between primary and transfected HBMEC. Therefore, our transfected HBMEC should be useful for studying pathogenesis of CNS infections...
- The complexed structure and antimicrobial activity of a non-beta-lactam inhibitor of AmpC beta-lactamaseR A Powers
Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Biological Chemistry, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, Illinois 60611 3008, USA
Protein Sci 8:2330-7. 1999..The structure of the BZBTH2B/AmpC complex provides a starting point for the structure-based elaboration of this class of non-beta-lactam inhibitors...
- CTX-m-3 beta-lactamase-producing Escherichia coli from GreeceA Mavroidi
Laboratory of Bacteriology, Hellenic Pasteur Institute, Athens, Greece
Microb Drug Resist 8:35-7. 2002..PCR assays specific for various bla genes, and DNA sequencing showed that the strain produced TEM-1, a Citrobacter freundii AmpC-related cephalosporinase, and CTX-M-3. The blaCTX...
- Transient neutrophilic thrombophagocytosis associated with Citrobacter freundii septicemiaAnas Jaber
Arch Pathol Lab Med 130:1754-5. 2006
- Clinical features and antimicrobial susceptibility trends in Citrobacter freundii bacteremiaYing Sheng Chen
Department of Medicine, Taipei Veterans General Hospital and National Yang Ming University, Taiwan, ROC
J Microbiol Immunol Infect 35:109-14. 2002..study investigated the clinical characteristics and antimicrobial susceptibilities of 36 cases of Citrobacter freundii bacteremia treated at the Taipei Veterans General Hospital from 1996 through 1999...
- Molecular pathogenesis of Citrobacter rodentium and transmissible murine colonic hyperplasiaS A Luperchio
Division of Bioengineering and Environmental Health, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Room 56-787B, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Microbes Infect 3:333-40. 2001..C. rodentium serves as an important model pathogen for investigating the mechanisms controlling attaching and effacing pathology, epithelial hyperproliferation, and tumor promotion in the distal colon of the mouse...
- Antimicrobial resistance in Gram-negative bacilli isolated from infant formulasLeticia A M Carneiro
Disciplina de Microbiologia e Imunologia, Faculdade de Ciencias Medicas, Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, Avenida 28 de Setembro 87, fundos, 3 degrees andar, 20551 030 Rio de Janeiro, RJ Brazil
FEMS Microbiol Lett 228:175-9. 2003..Klebsiella pneumoniae, Citrobacter freundii, Cedacea davisae, Klebsiella planticola and Enterobacter cloacae were the isolates most commonly identified...
- [Spondylodiscitis and epidural abscess due to Citrobacter freundii]Miguel Angel Hernández
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 20:46-7. 2002
- Central role for B lymphocytes and CD4+ T cells in immunity to infection by the attaching and effacing pathogen Citrobacter rodentiumCameron P Simmons
Centre for Molecular Microbiology and Infection, Department of Biological Sciences, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, South Kensington, London SW6 1SJ, United Kingdom
Infect Immun 71:5077-86. 2003..rodentium infection but that the mechanism through which this occurs requires further investigation. These data are relevant to understanding immunity to enteric attaching and effacing bacterial pathogens of humans...
- CesD2 of enteropathogenic Escherichia coli is a second chaperone for the type III secretion translocator protein EspDBianca C Neves
Centre for Molecular Microbiology and Infection, Flowers Building, Department of Biological Sciences, Imperial College London, London SW7 2AZ, UK
Infect Immun 71:2130-41. 2003..We show specific CesD2-EspD protein interaction which appears to be necessary for proper EspD secretion in vitro and pathogenesis in vivo as demonstrated in the A/E-lesion-forming mouse pathogen Citrobacter rodentium...
- A pathway-specific cell based screening system to detect bacterial cell wall inhibitorsDongyu Sun
Millennium Pharmaceuticals, Inc, Cambridge, MA, USA
J Antibiot (Tokyo) 55:279-87. 2002..A protocol is described for screening samples in high-throughput mode...
- Current implications of drug resistance in spinal cord injuryDouglas P Murphy
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Woodrow Wilson Rehabilitation Center, Fisherville, Virginia 22939, USA
Am J Phys Med Rehabil 82:72-5. 2003....
- Role of the murein precursor UDP-N-acetylmuramyl-L-Ala-gamma-D-Glu-meso-diaminopimelic acid-D-Ala-D-Ala in repression of beta-lactamase induction in cell division mutantsTsuyoshi Uehara
Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
J Bacteriol 184:4233-9. 2002..Hence, in both cases, a high ratio of repressor to inducer presumably prevents induction...
- [Post-marketing surveillance of antibacterial activities of cefozopran against various clinical isolates--II. Gram-negative bacteria]Jun Igari
Department of Clinical Pathology, Juntendo University, School of Medicine
Jpn J Antibiot 55:22-60. 2002..n = 189), Enterobacter aerogenes (n = 93), Serratia marcescens (n = 172), Serratia liquefaciens (n = 24), Citrobacter freundii (n = 177), Citrobacter koseri (n = 70), Proteus mirabilis (n = 113), Proteus vulgaris (n = 89), Morganella ..
- Analysis of polar lipids from some representative enterobacteria, Plesiomonas and Acinetobacter by fast atom bombardment-mass spectrometryH S Aluyi
Department of Cell and Structural Biology, University of Manchester Dental School, UK
J Appl Bacteriol 73:426-32. 1992..The following micro-organisms were tested: Acinetobacter calcoaceticus, Acinetobacter sp., Citrobacter freundii, Enterobacter cloacae (2 strains), Escherichia coli (3 strains), Hafnia alvei, Klebsiella oxytoca, ..
- Occurrence and diversity of integrons and beta-lactamase genes among ampicillin-resistant isolates from estuarine watersIsabel S Henriques
CESAM, Department of Biology, University of Aveiro, 3810 193 Aveiro, Portugal
Res Microbiol 157:938-47. 2006..Klebsiella pneumoniae, K. oxytoca, Raoultella ornithinolytica, R. terrigena, R. planticola, Citrobacter freundii, Morganella morganii and Enterobacter sp...
- Evaluation of antimicrobial susceptibility for β-lactams against clinical isolates from 51 medical centers in Japan (2008)Yoshikazu Ishii
Faculty of Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Toho University School of Medicine, Tokyo 1438540, Japan
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 69:443-8. 2011..462 strains), Enterobacter spp. (459 strains), Citrobacter freundii (358 strains), indole-positive Proteus spp. (386 strains), Serratia spp. (443 strains), Acinetobacter spp...
- [Detection of bla(CTX-M) beta-lactamase genes in extended-spectrum beta-lactamase producing gram-negative bacteria]Banu Bayraktar
Sisli Etfal Egitim ve Arastirma Hastanesi, Klinik Mikrobiyoloji Laboratuvan, Istanbul
Mikrobiyol Bul 44:187-96. 2010..5%) were Enterobacter spp. and one of each (0.5%) Citrobacter freundii, Klebsiella oxytoca and Proteus mirabilis...
- MECHANISMS OF PYRIDOXAL-5'-PHOSPHATE DEPENDENT ENZYMESRobert Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2004..Thus the results of this research are likely to make a significant contribution to the goal of improving health care for Americans in the future. ..
- Plasmid-Mediated Quinolone ResistanceGeorge Jacoby; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..