Genomes and Genes
Summary: A bacteria isolated from normal skin, intestinal contents, wounds, blood, pus, and soft tissue abscesses. It is a common contaminant of clinical specimens, presumably from the skin of patients or attendants.
Publications273 found, 100 shown here
- Propionibacterium acnesA L Perry
Biomedical Sciences, School of Life and Heath Sciences, Aston University, Birmingham, UK
Lett Appl Microbiol 42:185-8. 2006b>Propionibacterium acnes, a common skin organism, is most notably recognized for its role in acne vulgaris...
- Acne: more than skin deepJ Ayer
Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, London, UK
Postgrad Med J 82:500-6. 2006..Severe acne is treated with isotretinoin, and this can lead to permanent remission. With better education and care given by medical profession, acne treatment could be significantly improved...
- A novel multilocus sequence typing scheme for the opportunistic pathogen Propionibacterium acnes and characterization of type I cell surface-associated antigensAndrew McDowell
Centre for Infection and Immunity, School of Medicine, Dentistry and Biomedical Sciences, Queen s University, 97 Lisburn Road, Belfast BT9 7BL, UK
Microbiology 157:1990-2003. 2011..org/pacnes/) for Propionibacterium acnes based on the analysis of seven core housekeeping genes...
- Comparative genomics and transcriptomics of Propionibacterium acnesElzbieta Brzuszkiewicz
Göttingen Genomics Laboratory, Institute of Microbiology and Genetics, Georg August University of Gottingen, Gottingen, Germany
PLoS ONE 6:e21581. 2011The anaerobic gram-positive bacterium Propionibacterium acnes is a human skin commensal that is occasionally associated with inflammatory diseases. Recent work has indicated that evolutionary distinct lineages of P...
- Localization of propionibacterium acnes in granulomas supports a possible etiologic link between sarcoidosis and the bacteriumMariko Negi
Department of Human Pathology, Tokyo Medical and Dental University Graduate School, Tokyo, Japan
Mod Pathol 25:1284-97. 2012..b>Propionibacterium acnes is the only microorganism, however, found in sarcoid lesions by bacterial culture...
- Genome sequence of Propionibacterium acnes type II strain ATCC 11828Balazs Horvath
Institute for Plant Genomics, Human Biotechnology and Bioenergy, Bay Zoltan Foundation for Applied Research, Szeged, Hungary
J Bacteriol 194:202-3. 2012b>Propionibacterium acnes is an anaerobic Gram-positive bacterium that forms part of the normal human cutaneous microbiota and is occasionally associated with inflammatory diseases (I. Kurokawa et al., Exp. Dermatol. 18:821-832, 2009)...
- Antimicrobial property of lauric acid against Propionibacterium acnes: its therapeutic potential for inflammatory acne vulgarisTeruaki Nakatsuji
Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, California, USA
J Invest Dermatol 129:2480-8. 2009..not been demonstrated whether lauric acid can be used for acne treatment as a natural antibiotic against Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes), which promotes follicular inflammation (inflammatory acne)...
- Propionibacterium acnes: infection beyond the skinAlexandra Perry
Eurofins Agroscience Services Ltd, Slade Lane, Wilson, Melbourne, Derbyshire, DE73 8AG, UK
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 9:1149-56. 2011b>Propionibacterium acnes is a Gram-positive bacterium that forms part of the normal flora of the skin, oral cavity, large intestine, the conjunctiva and the external ear canal. Although primarily recognized for its role in acne, P...
- The role of Propionibacterium acnes in acne pathogenesis: facts and controversiesClio Dessinioti
Department of Dermatology, Andreas Sygros Hospital, University of Athens, 5, I Dragoumi Street, 16121, Athens, Greece
Clin Dermatol 28:2-7. 2010We have come a long way since 1896, when it was first suggested that Propionibacterium acnes, found in acne lesions, was the cause of acne...
- Population genetic analysis of Propionibacterium acnes identifies a subpopulation and epidemic clones associated with acneHans B Lomholt
Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark
PLoS ONE 5:e12277. 2010The involvement of Propionibacterium acnes in the pathogenesis of acne is controversial, mainly owing to its dominance as an inhabitant of healthy skin...
- Eradication of Propionibacterium acnes by its endogenic porphyrins after illumination with high intensity blue lightHelena Ashkenazi
Health Sciences Research Center, Faculty of Life Sciences, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan 52900, Israel
FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 35:17-24. 2003b>Propionibacterium acnes is a Gram-positive, microaerophilic bacterium that causes skin wounds. It is known to naturally produce high amounts of intracellular porphyrins...
- Characterization and genome sequencing of two Propionibacterium acnes phages displaying pseudolysogenyRolf Lood
Department of Clinical Sciences, Division of Infection Medicine, Lund University, Sweden
BMC Genomics 12:198. 2011b>Propionibacterium acnes is a Gram positive rod inhabiting the human skin that also infects orthopaedic implants and is associated with acne vulgaris. Previously, one lytic bacteriophage, PA6, from P...
- Beneficial or deleterious effects of a preexisting hypersensitivity to bacterial components on the course and outcome of infectionMarina Gumenscheimer
Max Planck Institut fur Immunbiologie, 79 108 Freiburg, Germany
Infect Immun 70:5596-603. 2002Priming with heat-killed Propionibacterium acnes enhances the sensitivity of mice to lipopolysaccharide (LPS) and other biologically active bacterial components. We show that P...
- Pulmonary granulomas caused experimentally in mice by a recombinant trigger-factor protein of Propionibacterium acnesJunko Minami
Department of Human Pathology, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Japan
J Med Dent Sci 50:265-74. 2003Etiology of sarcoidosis remains unknown. A trigger factor from Propionibacterium acnes causes a cellular immune response in some sarcoid patients but not in nonsarcoid subjects...
- A new phylogenetic group of Propionibacterium acnesAndrew McDowell
School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen s University, Belfast BT12 6BN, UK
J Med Microbiol 57:218-24. 2008Immunofluorescence microscopy-based identification of presumptive Propionibacterium acnes isolates, using the P. acnes-specific mAb QUBPa3, revealed five organisms with an atypical cellular morphology...
- Activation of toll-like receptor 2 in acne triggers inflammatory cytokine responsesJenny Kim
Division of Dermatology, University of California, Los Angeles, School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Immunol 169:1535-41. 2002One of the factors that contributes to the pathogenesis of acne is Propionibacterium acnes; yet, the molecular mechanism by which P. acnes induces inflammation is not known...
- Histone H4 is a major component of the antimicrobial action of human sebocytesDong Youn Lee
Division of Dermatology, University of California San Diego and VA San Diego Healthcare Center, San Diego, California, USA
J Invest Dermatol 129:2489-96. 2009..aureus and Propionibacterium acnes. In addition, histone H4 enhanced the antimicrobial action of free fatty acids in human sebum...
- Characterization of Propionibacterium acnes isolates from sarcoid and non-sarcoid tissues with special reference to cell invasiveness, serotype, and trigger factor gene polymorphismAsuka Furukawa
Department of Human Pathology, Graduate School of Medicine, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Japan
Microb Pathog 46:80-7. 2009Sarcoidosis is a systemic granulomatous disease of unknown etiology. Propionibacterium acnes is the only microorganism so far isolated from sarcoid lesions. To examine whether P...
- A biofilm approach to detect bacteria on removed spinal implantsMarta Fernandez Sampedro
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 35:1218-24. 2010....
- Propionibacterium acnes is the most common bacterium commensal in peripheral lung tissue and mediastinal lymph nodes from subjects without sarcoidosisIkuo Ishige
Department of Human Pathology, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis 22:33-42. 2005In studies of the unknown etiology of sarcoidosis, Propionibacterium acnes (a possible agent) was found in the lungs and lymph nodes of many sarcoidosis patients and some control subjects. P...
- Indigenous pulmonary Propionibacterium acnes primes the host in the development of sarcoid-like pulmonary granulomatosis in miceTetsu Nishiwaki
Department of Molecular Preventive Medicine and Solution Oriented Research for Science and Technology, The University of Tokyo School of Medicine, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Am J Pathol 165:631-9. 2004..We report here that extrapulmonary sensitization to Propionibacterium acnes, which is one of the candidates to date, induced pulmonary Th-1 granulomas mainly in the subpleural and ..
- Innate, antigen-independent role for T cells in the activation of the immune system by Propionibacterium acnesSandrine Tchaptchet
Max Planck Institute for Immunobiology, Freiburg, Germany
Eur J Immunol 40:2506-16. 2010b>Propionibacterium acnes is a human commensal but also an opportunistic pathogen. In mice, P. acnes exerts strong immunomodulatory activities, including formation of intrahepatic granulomas and induction of LPS hypersensitivity...
- Modulation of integrins and filaggrin expression by Propionibacterium acnes extracts on keratinocytesV Jarrousse
INSERM U601, 9 quai Moncousu, 44093 Nantes Cedex 01, France
Arch Dermatol Res 299:441-7. 2007b>Propionibacterium acnes plays an important role in the pathogenesis of acne and it is established that this bacteria is involved in the induction and maintenance of the inflammatory phase of acne...
- A microbial aetiology of acne: what is the evidence?B Shaheen
Department of Dermatology, Cardiff University School of Medicine, Cardiff CF14 4XN, UK
Br J Dermatol 165:474-85. 2011..There is considerable evidence, circumstantial at best, which suggests that micro-organisms, particularly Propionibacterium acnes, are important in the pathogenesis of acne vulgaris. However, it is still unclear whether P...
- Propionibacterium acnes and Staphylococcus epidermidis isolated from refractory endodontic lesions are opportunistic pathogensSadia A Niazi
Dental Institute, King s College London, London, England
J Clin Microbiol 48:3859-69. 2010..from 20 refractory endodontic lesions (9 with abscesses and 11 without abscesses) were determined, and Propionibacterium acnes and Staphylococcus epidermidis were among the most predominant organisms...
- In situ localization of Propionibacterium acnes DNA in lymph nodes from sarcoidosis patients by signal amplification with catalysed reporter depositionTetsuo Yamada
Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
J Pathol 198:541-7. 2002Sarcoidosis is a systemic granulomatous disease of unknown aetiology. Many genomes of Propionibacterium acnes and P. granulosum have been detected in lymph nodes from patients with sarcoidosis...
- Mutagenesis of Propionibacterium acnes and analysis of two CAMP factor knock-out mutantsMeike Sörensen
Max Planck Institute for Infection Biology, Department of Molecular Biology, D 10117 Berlin, Germany
J Microbiol Methods 83:211-6. 2010..acnes. The here presented insertional mutagenesis approach will facilitate future studies on P. acnes...
- Genetic diversity of Propionibacterium acnes strains isolated from human skin in Japan and comparison with their distribution in EuropeItaru Dekio
Skin Microbe Laboratory, Department of Dermatology, Faculty of Medicine, Shimane University, Izumo, Japan
J Med Microbiol 61:622-30. 2012b>Propionibacterium acnes, a commensal of human skin, is also an opportunistic pathogen of common acne and certain infectious diseases...
- An expanded multilocus sequence typing scheme for propionibacterium acnes: investigation of 'pathogenic', 'commensal' and antibiotic resistant strainsAndrew McDowell
Centre for Infection and Immunity, School of Medicine, Dentistry and Biomedical Sciences, Queen s University, Belfast, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 7:e41480. 2012The Gram-positive bacterium Propionibacterium acnes is a member of the normal human skin microbiota and is associated with various infections and clinical conditions...
- Complete genome sequences of three Propionibacterium acnes isolates from the type IA(2) clusterAndrea Vörös
Bay Zoltán Nonprofit Ltd, Szeged, Hungary
J Bacteriol 194:1621-2. 2012b>Propionibacterium acnes is an anaerobic Gram-positive bacterium that has been linked to a wide range of opportunistic human infections and conditions, most notably acne vulgaris (I. Kurokawa et al., Exp. Dermatol. 18:821-832, 2009)...
- Multilocus sequence typing and phylogenetic analysis of Propionibacterium acnesMogens Kilian
Department of Biomedicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, Aarhus University, DK 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
J Clin Microbiol 50:1158-65. 2012b>Propionibacterium acnes is a commensal of human skin but is also implicated in the pathogenesis of acne vulgaris, in biofilm-associated infections of medical devices and endophthalmitis, and in infections of bone and dental root canals...
- Rapid detection and quantification of PropionibacteriaceaeP Goldschmidt
Laboratoire du Centre National d Ophtalmologie des Quinze Vingts, 28 rue de Charenton, Paris, France
Br J Ophthalmol 93:258-62. 2009..The goal of this work was to validate a new rapid and sensitive test for the diagnosis of Propioni infections (endophthalmitis, corneal ulcers and others)...
- Resveratrol inhibition of Propionibacterium acnesJohn J Docherty
Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Biochemistry, Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine, Rootstown, OH 44272, USA
J Antimicrob Chemother 59:1182-4. 2007To evaluate the effects of the anti-inflammatory hydroxystilbene, resveratrol, on Propionibacterium acnes growth.
- Porphyrin sensitization and intracellular calcium changes in the prokaryote Propionibacterium acnesS Ramstad
Department of Physics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Dragvoll, Norway
J Photochem Photobiol B 40:141-8. 1997..We have investigated whether or not similar changes can be induced in prokaryotes. The skin bacterium Propionibacterium acnes was sensitized using protoporphyrin IX (PP IX) or 5-aminolevulinic acid (ALA)...
- TLR2 expression is increased in rosacea and stimulates enhanced serine protease production by keratinocytesKenshi Yamasaki
Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, VA San Diego Health Care System, San Diego, California, USA
J Invest Dermatol 131:688-97. 2011..These observations show that abnormal TLR2 function may explain enhanced inflammatory responses to environmental stimuli and can act as a critical element in the pathogenesis of rosacea...
- Prevalence of Propionibacterium acnes in diseased prostates and its inflammatory and transforming activity on prostate epithelial cellsLina Fassi Fehri
Department of Molecular Biology, Max Planck Institute for Infection Biology, Chariteplatz 1, D 10117 Berlin, Germany
Int J Med Microbiol 301:69-78. 2011..Recent work has detected the anaerobic Gram-positive bacterium Propionibacterium acnes in cancerous prostates, but with wide-ranging detection rates...
- An increased incidence of Propionibacterium acnes biofilms in acne vulgaris: a case-control studyA C Jahns
Department of Medical Biosciences Pathology, Umea University, Umeå S 90185, Sweden
Br J Dermatol 167:50-8. 2012Acne vulgaris is a disorder of the sebaceous follicles. Propionibacterium acnes can be involved in inflammatory acne.
- Effect of Garcinia mangostana on inflammation caused by Propionibacterium acnesMullika Traidej Chomnawang
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Mahidol University, Rachathevi, Bangkok, Thailand
Fitoterapia 78:401-8. 2007The present study was aimed to investigate the activity of Thai medicinal plants on inflammation caused by Propionibacterium acnes in terms of free radical scavenging and cytokine reducing properties. P...
- Sebum free fatty acids enhance the innate immune defense of human sebocytes by upregulating beta-defensin-2 expressionTeruaki Nakatsuji
Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, San Diego, California 92161, USA
J Invest Dermatol 130:985-94. 2010..The supernatant of FFA-incubated sebocyte culture showed antimicrobial activity against Propionibacterium acnes, whereas the enhanced antimicrobial activity of human sebocytes was neutralized by anti-hBD-2 IgG...
- Inducible Siphoviruses in superficial and deep tissue isolates of Propionibacterium acnesRolf Lood
Department of Clinical Sciences, Division of Infection Medicine, BMC B14, Lund University, SE 221 84 Lund, Sweden
BMC Microbiol 8:139. 2008b>Propionibacterium acnes is a commensal of human skin but is also known to be involved in certain diseases, such as acne vulgaris and infections of orthopaedic implants...
- Review of the innate immune response in acne vulgaris: activation of Toll-like receptor 2 in acne triggers inflammatory cytokine responsesJenny Kim
Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California Los Angeles, 90095, USA
Dermatology 211:193-8. 2005..One of the factors that contributes to the pathogenesis of acne is Propionibacterium acnes; yet, the molecular mechanism by which P. acnes induces inflammation is not known...
- Propionibacterium acnes stimulates pro-matrix metalloproteinase-2 expression through tumor necrosis factor-alpha in human dermal fibroblastsJee Young Choi
Department of Dermatology, Chonnam National University Medical School, Gwangju, Korea
J Invest Dermatol 128:846-54. 2008b>Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes) is a commensal microorganism found in sebum-rich skin and plays a role in acne inflammation by stimulating keratinocyte to produce a number of proinflammatory cytokines. However, the role of P...
- Pathogenesis of acneM Toyoda
Department of Dermatology, Faculty of Medicine, Toyama Medical and Pharmaceutical University, 2630 Sugitani, Toyama 930-0194, Japan
Med Electron Microsc 34:29-40. 2001..of sebaceous gland secretion by androgens, and microbial colonization of pilosebaceous units by Propionibacterium acnes, which promotes perifollicular inflammation...
- Pathological mechanisms of acne with special emphasis on Propionibacterium acnes and related therapyUta Jappe
Department of Dermatology and Venereology, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Acta Derm Venereol 83:241-8. 2003..b>Propionibacterium acnes releases pro-inflammatory cytokines as well as antigens and mitogen(s), with cellular and non-cellular ..
- Sarcoidosis and NOD1 variation with impaired recognition of intracellular Propionibacterium acnesTsuyoshi Tanabe
Age Dimension Research Center, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, Tsukuba 305 8566, Japan
Biochim Biophys Acta 1762:794-801. 2006..We found that intracellular Propionibacterium acnes, a possible causative agent of sarcoidosis, activated NF-kappaB in both NOD1- and NOD2-dependent manners...
- Induction of toll-like receptors by Propionibacterium acnesS Jugeau
INSERM U601, CHU, Pl A Ricordeau, 44095 Nantes, France
Br J Dermatol 153:1105-13. 2005The bacterium Propionibacterium acnes is involved in the induction and maintenance of the inflammatory phase of acne. Recent studies have found that keratinocytes express toll-like receptors (TLRs) implicated in immediate immunity...
- Cloning of a new cytokine that induces IFN-gamma production by T cellsH Okamura
Department of Bacteriology, Hyogo College of Medicine, Nishinomiya, Japan
Nature 378:88-91. 1995..Administration of anti-IGIF antibodies prevents liver damage in mice inoculated with Propionibacterium acnes and challenged with lipopolysaccharide, which induces toxic shock...
- Proteomic identification of secreted proteins of Propionibacterium acnesCarsten Holland
Department of Molecular Biology, Max Planck Institute for Infection Biology, Berlin, Germany
BMC Microbiol 10:230. 2010The anaerobic Gram-positive bacterium Propionibacterium acnes is a human skin commensal that resides preferentially within sebaceous follicles; however, it also exhibits many traits of an opportunistic pathogen, playing roles in a ..
- In vitro activities of three synthetic peptides derived from epinecidin-1 and an anti-lipopolysaccharide factor against Propionibacterium acnes, Candida albicans, and Trichomonas vaginalisChieh Yu Pan
Department of Aquaculture, National Taiwan Ocean University, Keelung, Taiwan
Peptides 30:1058-68. 2009..We studied the in vitro activities of epinecidin-1(22-42), csSALF(55-76), and lsSALF(55-76) against Propionibacterium acnes, Candida albicans, and Trichomonas vaginalis...
- The complete genome sequence of Propionibacterium acnes, a commensal of human skinHolger Bruggemann
Göttingen Genomics Laboratory, Institute of Microbiology and Genetics, Georg August University Gottingen, Grisebachstrasse 8, 37077 Gottingen, Germany
Science 305:671-3. 2004b>Propionibacterium acnes is a major inhabitant of adult human skin, where it resides within sebaceous follicles, usually as a harmless commensal although it has been implicated in acne vulgaris formation...
- Sebocytes express functional cathelicidin antimicrobial peptides and can act to kill propionibacterium acnesDong Youn Lee
J Invest Dermatol 128:1863-6. 2008
- Skin microbiota: a source of disease or defence?A L Cogen
Department of Bioengineering, Division of Dermatology, School of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
Br J Dermatol 158:442-55. 2008..Specifically, the review will discuss our current understanding of the cutaneous microbiota as well as shifting paradigms in the interpretation of the roles microbes play in skin health and disease...
- Biofilm formation by Propionibacterium acnes is a characteristic of invasive isolatesA Holmberg
Department of Clinical Sciences, Division of Infection Medicine, Lund University, 221 84 Lund, Sweden
Clin Microbiol Infect 15:787-95. 2009b>Propionibacterium acnes is a common and probably underestimated cause of delayed joint prosthesis infection. Bacterial biofilm formation is central in the pathogenesis of infections related to foreign material, and P...
- Vaccination targeting a surface sialidase of P. acnes: implication for new treatment of acne vulgarisTeruaki Nakatsuji
Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, University of California San Diego, San Diego, California, USA
PLoS ONE 3:e1551. 2008..people in the United State and the severity of this disorder is associated with the immune response to Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes). Systemic therapies for acne target P...
- The temperature dependence of porphyrin production in Propionibacterium acnes after incubation with 5-aminolevulinic acid (ALA) and its methyl ester (m-ALA)Ståle Ramstad
Department of Physics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, N 7491 Trondheim, Norway
Photochem Photobiol Sci 5:66-72. 2006Topical PDT treatment of the common skin disease acne vulgaris is now in clinical use. Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes) is known to play an important role in acne...
- Blockade of secondary lymphoid tissue chemokine exacerbates Propionibacterium acnes-induced acute lung inflammationM Itakura
Department of Molecular Preventive Medicine and Core Research for Evolutional Science and Technology, University of Tokyo School of Medicine, Bunkyoku, Tokyo, Japan
J Immunol 166:2071-9. 2001..MIP-2) in the development of acute pulmonary inflammation induced by an intratracheal injection of Propionibacterium acnes in mice...
- Treating acne with antibiotic-resistant bacterial colonizationThrasivoulos Tzellos
Dessau Medical Center, Departments of Dermatology, Venereology, Allergology and Immunology, Auenweg Dessau, Germany
Expert Opin Pharmacother 12:1233-47. 2011Acne is a chronic skin disorder of the pilosebaceous unit; it has a multifactorial pathogenesis. Propionibacterium acnes within the follicle is considered to be a triggering factor of inflammation in acne...
- CRISPR/cas loci of type II Propionibacterium acnes confer immunity against acquisition of mobile elements present in type I P. acnesHolger Bruggemann
Department of Biomedicine, Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark
PLoS ONE 7:e34171. 2012b>Propionibacterium acnes is a skin commensal that occasionally acts as an opportunistic pathogen. The population structure of this species shows three main lineages (I-III)...
- Influence of histamine in a liver injury model induced by Propionibacterium acnes and lipopolysaccharideHiroshi Kurihara
Institute of Traditional Chinese and Natural Medicine, Jinan University, China
Biol Pharm Bull 26:1393-7. 2003..4+/-10.1 pmol/ml. When 0.1 microg of lipopolysaccharide (LPS) was intravenously injected into Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes)-primed ICR mice, histamine levels increased remarkably to 61.2+/-15.9 pmol/ml (p<0.001)...
- Dual analysis for mycobacteria and propionibacteria in sarcoidosis BALKyra A Oswald-Richter
Department of Pathology, Microbiology and Immunology, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37232 2363, USA
J Clin Immunol 32:1129-40. 2012....
- Glycolic acid chemical peeling improves inflammatory acne eruptions through its inhibitory and bactericidal effects on Propionibacterium acnesYuko Takenaka
Department of Dermatology, Tokyo Women s Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
J Dermatol 39:350-4. 2012..To assess growth inhibitory and bactericidal effects of glycolic acid on Propionibacterium acnes in vitro, we used an agar diffusion method and a time-kill method...
- Propionibacterium acnes-induced hepatic granuloma formation is impaired in mice lacking tetraspanin CD9Hiroyuki Yamane
Department of Molecular Medicine, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
J Pathol 206:486-92. 2005..When intrahepatic granulomas were induced by intravenous injection of Propionibacterium acnes, hepatocyte CD9 was extensively upregulated, while inflammatory cells constituting granulomas were mostly ..
- Propionibacterium acnes infection induces upregulation of inflammatory genes and cytokine secretion in prostate epithelial cellsJohanna B Drott
Department of Clinical Microbiology Virology, Umea University, SE 901 87 Umea, Sweden
BMC Microbiol 10:126. 2010The immune stimulating bacterium Propionibacterium acnes is a frequent colonizer of benign and malignant prostate tissue. To understand the pathogenesis of the earliest phase of this infection, we examined the P...
- Propionibacterium acnes host cell tropism contributes to vimentin-mediated invasion and induction of inflammationTim N Mak
Department of Molecular Biology, Max Planck Institute for Infection Biology, Berlin, Germany
Cell Microbiol 14:1720-33. 2012The contribution of the human microbiota to health and disease is poorly understood. Propionibacterium acnes is a prominent member of the skin microbiota, but is also associated with acne vulgaris...
- Time series community genomics analysis reveals rapid shifts in bacterial species, strains, and phage during infant gut colonizationItai Sharon
Department of Earth and Planetary Science, UC Berkeley, Berkeley, California 94720, USA
Genome Res 23:111-20. 2013..At the species level, we observed the decline of an early-colonizing Propionibacterium acnes strain similar to SK137 and the proliferation of novel Propionibacterium and Peptoniphilus species late ..
- Multilocus sequence typing (MLST) analysis of Propionibacterium acnes isolates from radical prostatectomy specimensTim N Mak
Department of Biomedicine, Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark
Prostate 73:770-7. 2013..The pro-inflammatory anaerobe, Propionibacterium acnes, is ubiquitously found on human skin and is associated with the skin disease acne vulgaris...
- Role of monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 in Propionibacterium acnes-induced pulmonary granulomatosisH Ichiyasu
First Department of Internal Medicine, Kumamoto University School of Medicine, Kumamoto, Japan
Microsc Res Tech 53:288-97. 2001..we developed a model using sensitized rabbits for T cell-mediated pulmonary granulomatosis induced by Propionibacterium acnes (P...
- A mouse model of chronic prostatic inflammation using a human prostate cancer-derived isolate of Propionibacterium acnesDebika Biswal Shinohara
Department of Environmental Health Sciences, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Prostate 73:1007-15. 2013..To study this potential link in an in vivo system, we developed a mouse model of long-term bacteria-induced chronic inflammation of the prostate using a human prostatectomy-derived strain of Propionibacterium acnes.
- Quantitative PCR of Propionibacterium acnes DNA in samples aspirated from sebaceous follicles on the normal skin of subjects with or without acneYuriko Miura
Fukasawa Dermatology Clinic, Kanagawa, Japan
J Med Dent Sci 57:65-74. 2010To elucidate whether people with hair follicles containing many Propionibacterium acnes cells are prone to acne, we developed a novel method to count the number of P. acnes in hair follicles...
- Intratumoral injection of Propionibacterium acnes suppresses malignant melanoma by enhancing Th1 immune responsesKenshiro Tsuda
Department of Dermatology, Graduate School of Medicine, Mie University, Tsu, Mie, Japan
PLoS ONE 6:e29020. 2011..b>Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes) is an aerotolerant anaerobic gram-positive bacteria that causes acne and inflammation...
- Anti-inflammatory effects of erythromycin and tetracycline on Propionibacterium acnes induced production of chemotactic factors and reactive oxygen species by human neutrophilsA Jain
Department of Microbiology, King George s Medical College, Lucknow 226003, India
Dermatol Online J 8:2. 2002b>Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes), an anaerobic pathogen, plays an important role in the pathogenesis of acne and seems to initiate the inflammatory process by producing neutrophil chemotactic factors (NCF)...
- Clinical significance of Propionibacterium acnes recovered from blood cultures: analysis of 524 episodesHyun Jung Park
Department of Infectious Diseases, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul 138 736, Republic of Korea
J Clin Microbiol 49:1598-601. 2011Of 522 patients with Propionibacterium acnes bacteremia (PAB), 18 (3.5%) had clinically significant PAB. Of these 18 patients, 10 (55.6%) had hospital-acquired bacteremia and 6 (33...
- Antibiotics for the eradication of Propionibacterium acnes biofilms in surgical infectionRoger Bayston
Biomaterials Related Infection Group, School of Medical and Surgical Sciences, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 60:1298-301. 2007b>Propionibacterium acnes is increasingly recognized as a cause of delayed infection after spinal instrumentation or shunting for hydrocephalus. Biofilm development by this organism has recently been demonstrated...
- Effect of Lactobacillus reuteri on the proliferation of Propionibacterium acnes and Staphylococcus epidermidisMi Sun Kang
Department of Microbiology, School of Medicine, Chonnam National University, Gwangju, 501 746, Republic of Korea
J Microbiol 50:137-42. 2012While it is generally accepted that Propionibacterium acnes is involved in the development of acne, other bacteria including Staphylococcus epidermidis have also been isolated from the acne lesion...
- A descriptive study of bacterial load of full-thickness surgical wounds in dermatologic surgeryKarim Saleh
Division of Dermatology and Venereology, Department of Clinical Sciences, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Dermatol Surg 37:1014-22. 2011..The pathogenesis of wound infections is complex and is dependent on bacterial load and diversity, among several factors...
- The evolving role of Propionibacterium acnes in acneJ J Leyden
Department of Dermatology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Semin Cutan Med Surg 20:139-43. 2001b>Propionibacterium acnes is a member of the resident cutaneous flora. Sebaceous follicles involved in acne are characterized by the accumulation of abnormally desquamated corneocytes and excess sebum-the microcomedo...
- MALDI-TOF MS fingerprinting facilitates rapid discrimination of phylotypes I, II and III of Propionibacterium acnesElisabeth Nagy
Hungarian Anaerobe Reference Laboratory, Institute of Clinical Microbiology, University of Szeged, 6725 Szeged, Semmelweis u 6, Hungary
Anaerobe 20:20-6. 2013..b>Propionibacterium acnes is frequently referred to as an anaerobic skin commensal of relatively low pathogenicity...
- Draft genome sequence of an antibiotic-resistant Propionibacterium acnes strain, PRP-38, from the novel type IC clusterAndrew McDowell
Centre for Infection and Immunity, School of Medicine, Dentistry and Biomedical Sciences, Queen s University, Belfast, United Kingdom
J Bacteriol 194:3260-1. 2012b>Propionibacterium acnes, a non-spore-forming, anaerobic gram-positive bacterium, is most notably recognized for its association with acne vulgaris (I. Kurokawa et al., Exp. Dermatol. 18:821-832, 2009)...
- The antimicrobial activity of liposomal lauric acids against Propionibacterium acnesDarren Yang
Department of NanoEngineering, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Biomaterials 30:6035-40. 2009This study evaluated the antimicrobial activity of lauric acid (LA) and its liposomal derivatives against Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes), the bacterium that promotes inflammatory acne...
- Modulatory effect of killed Propionibacterium acnes and its purified soluble polysaccharide on peritoneal exudate cells from C57Bl/6 mice: major NKT cell recruitment and increased cytotoxicityR Z Ananias
Disciplina de Imunologia, Departamento de Microbiologia, Imunologia e Parasitologia, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Scand J Immunol 65:538-48. 2007b>Propionibacterium acnes has been described as a potent adjuvant to immune responses in vitro and in vivo. Presently, we analysed the modulation of peritoneal exudate cells (PEC) by heat-killed P...
- Susceptibilities of Propionibacterium acnes ophthalmic isolates to ertapenem, meropenem, and cefepimeRobert Shames
Division of Infectious Disease, Long Island Jewish Medical Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New Hyde Park, New York 11042, USA
J Clin Microbiol 44:4227-8. 2006We investigated the in vitro susceptibilities of 23 Propionibacterium acnes ophthalmic isolates to ertapenem, meropenem, and cefepime by utilizing the Etest. The MICs ranged from 0.094 microg/ml to 0.75 microg/ml, 0.094 microg/ml to 1...
- Roles of CD14 in LPS-induced liver injury and lethality in mice pretreated with Propionibacterium acnesYoshihiro Shuto
Department of Immunonology and Allergy, Oita University Medical School, Hasama machi, Oita 879 5593, Japan
Immunol Lett 94:47-55. 2004The mechanism of the liver damage and lethality in Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes)-LPS system remains obscure...
- Neolitsea aciculata essential oil inhibits drug-resistant skin pathogen growth and Propionibacterium acnes-induced inflammatory effects of human monocyte leukemiaSang Suk Kim
Department Department of Chemistry, Cheju National University, Ara l dong, Jeju 690 756, Korea
Nat Prod Commun 6:1193-8. 2011..NAE exhibited moderate to strong antibacterial activity against drug-susceptible and -resistant Propionibacterium acnes and Staphylococcus epidermidis, which are known as acne-causing bacteria. In addition, NAE reduced the P...
- Alleviation of lipopolysaccharide-induced acute liver injury in Propionibacterium acnes-primed IFN-gamma-deficient mice by a concomitant reduction of TNF-alpha, IL-12, and IL-18 productionH Tsuji
First Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, Kanazawa University, Ishikawa, Japan
J Immunol 162:1049-55. 1999..was designed to investigate the role of IFN-gamma in LPS-induced liver injury following priming with Propionibacterium acnes. At 1 week after priming BALB/c mice with P...
- Heterologous expression of linoleic acid isomerase from Propionibacterium acnes and anti-proliferative activity of recombinant trans-10, cis-12 conjugated linoleic acidEva Rosberg-Cody
Teagasc, Moorepark Food Research, Biotechnology Centre, Fermoy, Co Cork, Ireland
Microbiology 153:2483-90. 2007The linoleic acid isomerase enzyme from Propionibacterium acnes responsible for bioconversion of linoleic acid to trans-10, cis-12 conjugated linoleic acid (t10, c12 CLA) was cloned and overexpressed in Lactococcus lactis and Escherichia ..
- Propionibacterium acnes biotypes and susceptibility to minocycline and Keigai-rengyo-toShuichi Higaki
Department of Dermatology, Faculty of Medicine, Toyama Medical and Pharmaceutical University, 2630 Sugitani, Toyama shi 930 0194, Japan
Int J Dermatol 43:103-7. 2004b>Propionibacterium acnes is the predominant organism in acne lesions, but the sensitivity of different biotypes of P. acnes to therapeutic agents has seldom been reported.
- Propionibacterium acnes DNA detected in bronchoalveolar lavage cells from patients with sarcoidosisJun ichi Hiramatsu
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Okayama University Medical School, Okayama, Japan
Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis 20:197-203. 2003The causes of sarcoidosis are unknown. Propionibacterium acnes is so far the only bacterium to be found in sarcoid lymph nodes. We attempted to detect P...
- Propionibacterium acnes vaccination induces regulatory T cells and Th1 immune responses and improves mouse atopic dermatitisHiroshi Kitagawa
Exp Dermatol 20:157-8. 2011Atopic dermatitis (AD) is a chronic disease characterized by a polarized Th2 immune response. Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes) has been shown to elicit strong Th1 immune responses. We hypothesized that the host immune response to P...
- TNF-alpha hyper-responses to Gram-negative and Gram-positive bacteria in Propionibacterium acnes primed or Salmonella typhimurium infected miceT Merlin
, Freiburg, Germany
J Endotoxin Res 7:157-63. 2001..Using Lps(n) BALB/c and Lps(d) BALB/c/l mice, primed with Propionibacterium acnes or infected with Salmonella typhimurium, we show that concurrently to hypersensitivity to LPS, a ..
- Antibiotic resistance of Propionibacterium acnes in acne vulgarisJil K Swanson
Department of Dermatology, University of Pittsburgh Physicians, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Dermatol Nurs 15:359-62. 2003..Antibiotics remain the most common prescribed agent for the treatment of acne. Improper use of antibiotics in the dermatological setting needs to be evaluated to prevent the increasing prevalence of antibiotic resistance...
- Delayed postoperative intracerebral abscess caused by Proprionibacterium acnes: case report and review of the literatureS A Barazi
Department of Neurosurgery, Charing Cross Hospital, London, UK
Br J Neurosurg 17:336-9. 2003..We propose the inclusion of cerebral abscess by P. acnes in the differential diagnosis of lesions that mimic tumour recurrences, after clean craniotomies...
- Propionibacterium acnes: an under-appreciated cause of post-neurosurgical infectionM Nisbet
Infectious Disease Department, Auckland City Hospital, Private Bag 92024, Auckland, New Zealand
J Antimicrob Chemother 60:1097-103. 2007b>Propionibacterium acnes is increasingly recognized as a cause of post-neurosurgical infection. This review of patients with P...
- Bioengineering a humanized acne microenvironment model: proteomics analysis of host responses to Propionibacterium acnes infection in vivoTeruaki Nakatsuji
Department of Medicine, Division of Dermatology, University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
Proteomics 8:3406-15. 2008..Unlike humans, most animals produce little or no triglycerides in hair follicles to harbor Propionibacterium acnes a fact that has encumbered the development of novel treatments for acne lesions...
- Antibodies elicited by inactivated propionibacterium acnes-based vaccines exert protective immunity and attenuate the IL-8 production in human sebocytes: relevance to therapy for acne vulgarisTeruaki Nakatsuji
Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, California 92161, USA
J Invest Dermatol 128:2451-7. 2008b>Propionibacterium acnes is a key pathogen involved in the progression of inflammation in acne vulgaris. We examined whether vaccination against P. acnes suppressed P. acnes-induced skin inflammation. Inactivation of P...
- The potential use of Echinacea in acne: control of Propionibacterium acnes growth and inflammationM Sharma
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Phytother Res 25:517-21. 2011Acne is a chronic inflammatory disorder of skin follicles caused by the gram-positive bacterium Propionibacterium acnes. The possibility was investigated that a standardized preparation of Echinacea purpurea (Echinaforce®), with known ..
- Increases in cytokine and antimicrobial peptide gene expression in horses by immunomodulation with Propionibacterium acnesElizabeth G Davis
Department of Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS, 66506, USA
Vet Ther 4:5-11. 2003Immunomodulation with Propionibacterium acnes is used for prophylaxis of respiratory disease or in horses suffering from chronic pulmonary inflammation; however, the mechanism for this response is poorly understood...
- Heat shock proteins and inflammatory acne vulgaris: molecular cloning, overexpression and purification of a propionibacterium acnes GroEL and DnaK homologueM D Farrar
Skin Research Centre, Division of Microbiology, School of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Leeds, LS2 9JT, Leeds, UK
FEMS Microbiol Lett 191:183-6. 2000b>Propionibacterium acnes is associated with inflammatory acne. The genes encoding two putative mediators of inflammation, the heat shock proteins GroEL and DnaK, were cloned from this organism and sequenced...
- Phenotypic and genotypic characterization of antibiotic-resistant Propionibacterium acnes isolated from acne patients attending dermatology clinics in Europe, the U.S.A., Japan and AustraliaJ I Ross
The Skin Research Centre, Division of Microbiology, School of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, UK
Br J Dermatol 144:339-46. 2001BACKGROUND: Propionibacterium acnes is the target of antimicrobial treatments for acne vulgaris...
- Propionibacterium acnes resistance: a worldwide problemE A Eady
University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
Dermatology 206:54-6. 2003Antibiotic therapy directed against Propionibacterium acnes has been a mainstay of treatment for more than 40 years. Despite years of widespread use of systemic tetracyclines and erythromycin, change in P...
- Inhibition of propionibacterium acnes by bacteriocin-like inhibitory substances (BLIS) produced by Streptococcus salivariusWhitney P Bowe
Department of Dermatology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Drugs Dermatol 5:868-70. 2006We report the in vitro inhibition of Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes) by a bacteriocin-like inhibitory substance (BLIS-like substance) produced by Streptococcus salivarius (S. salivarius)...
- Molecular diagnosis of a vascular prosthesis infection, due to Propionibacterium acnes, by amplification and sequencing of 16S rDNAL Le Page
Unité mobile de microbiologie clinique, Clinical Microbiology, Hopital Europeen Georges Pompidou, 20 40 rue Leblanc, 75908 Paris Cedex 15, France
Clin Microbiol Infect 9:1125-7. 2003We describe a case of indolent vascular prosthesis infection due to Propionibacterium acnes. The microorganism was identified only by amplification and sequencing of 16S rDNA, while standard cultures remained negative...
- 5-Naphthoylsalicylanilides as improved anti-acne agentsRichard Evans; Fiscal Year: 2007..These include: 1) a broad spectrum of antibacterial activity, with exceptional activity against Propionibacterium acnes (a significant factor in the progression of acne) as well as other dermal pathogens such as ..
- Bacterial fermentation in skin microbiome as probiotics (Bfismp) against S. aureuChun Ming Huang; Fiscal Year: 2013..Everyone carried Propionibacterium acnes (P...
- Characterization of the Lysogenic Pathway in P. acnes BacteriophagesLAURA JANE MARINELLI; Fiscal Year: 2013..proposal it to enhance our understanding of acne, in particular the bacteriophages that infect and kill Propionibacterium acnes - a bacterium that contributes to the pathogenesis of the skin disease acne towards the development an ..
- Metagenomic study of the human skin microbiome associated with acneHuiying Li; Fiscal Year: 2010..In fact, antibiotic therapy targeting Propionibacterium acnes has been a mainstay treatment for more than 30 years...
- Deriving P. acnes Bacteriophages from Skin for Acne TherapyRobert L Modlin; Fiscal Year: 2012..is to develop an effective phage-based antimicrobial therapy for the treatment of acne, targeting Propionibacterium acnes, the bacterium that contributes to the pathogenesis of the skin disease acne. We hypothesize that P...
- Population dynamics of P. acnes and their phages in the human skin microbiomeHuiying Li; Fiscal Year: 2013..health upon its perturbation, we propose to study the population dynamics of a major skin commensal, Propionibacterium acnes, and its phages in pilosebaceous units (hair follicles)...
- EXERCISE AS A MEANS OF ENHANCING IMMUNITY IN THE AGEDJeffrey Woods; Fiscal Year: 2001..responsiveness to activating signals like interferon- gamma (IFN-gamma), lipopolysaccharide (LPS), and Propionibacterium acnes (p...
- CHRONIC ENDOPHTHALMITIS COMPLICATING CATARACT SURGERYRonald Smith; Fiscal Year: 1992b>Propionibacterium acnes-related chronic inflammation after cataract extraction and intraocular lens implantation is emerging as a significant clinical problem in this country...
- GRANULYSIN: ANTIMICROBIAL/ANTI-INFLAMMATORY ROLE IN ACNERobert Modlin; Fiscal Year: 2009..The increase in antibiotic-resistant strains of Propionibacterium acnes, the bacterium that contributes to the pathogenesis of acne, has hastened research for development of ..
- 5-Naphthoylsalicylanilides as improved anti-acne agentsJoseph Dunn; Fiscal Year: 2004..The advantages include: 1) a broad spectrum of antibacterial activity, with excellent activity against Propionibacterium acnes, as well as other secondary dermal pathogens such as diphtheroids, Staphylococcus aureus, and other ..
- Innate and Adaptive Immunity in Acne VulgarisJenny Kim; Fiscal Year: 2006..In inflammatory acne, Propionibacterium acnes plays a key role in eliciting host inflammatory response that is thought to be important for the ..
- Ultraviolet-C Therapy for OnychomycosisMICHAEL HAMBLIN; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Biologic Basis of Refractory Periodontal DiseaseBRUCE PASTER; Fiscal Year: 2006..Eliminating refractory disease would have an enormous impact on the total cost of delivering periodontal therapy. ..
- Macrophage Targeted Photodynamic TherapyMICHAEL HAMBLIN; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Oral microbial associations in HIV+subjectsBRUCE PASTER; Fiscal Year: 2003..The proposed studies may provide insight for the identity of putative pathogens in comparable periodontal infections in HIV negative individuals. ..
- Enteropathogenic and Toxigenic E.coli InteractionsJOHN CRANE; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Host Cell Killing by EPEC: Central Role in PathogenesisJOHN CRANE; Fiscal Year: 2005..coli (RDEC-1) and rabbit EPEC (REPEC). ..
- Effect of Zinc in Enteropathogenic E. coli InfectionJOHN CRANE; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Acne Vaccines Targeting a Surface Sialidase and a Secreted CAMP Factor ToxinChun Ming Huang; Fiscal Year: 2008unreadable] DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Propionibacterium acnes (P...
- Immunological Secretomes of the Early Anthrax InfectionChun Ming Huang; Fiscal Year: 2010..This protein will thus serve as a positive control to evaluate novel antigens identified in the proposed studies. ..
- Anthrax vaccination by targeting spore germinationChun Ming Huang; Fiscal Year: 2005..This unprecedented study will elicit the pathological mechanisms and vaccination capabilities of immune inhibitor A and camelysin expressed in Bacillus anthracis. ..
- Secretomes captured in vivo via ultrafiltration probesChun Ming Huang; Fiscal Year: 2008..We believe that using CUF probes/Mass spectrometry will be a powerful tool which can be applied to other animal models and other human diseases. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- OCULAR MELANOMAPaul Finger; Fiscal Year: 2003..Standardized clinical and data collection procedures will be employed, and standardized forms will be used in all centers. Central training and certification of all study staff will be required. ..
- Physical Activity, Aging and Immune FunctionJeffrey Woods; Fiscal Year: 2005..In addition, the biobehavioral approach inherent in our aims will allow us to determine the complexity of the relationship between exercise and immune function. ..