Genomes and Genes
Summary: A bacteria isolated from normal skin, intestinal contents, wounds, blood, pus, and soft tissue abscesses. It is a common contaminant of clinical specimens, presumably from the skin of patients or attendants.
Publications266 found, 100 shown here
- Propionibacterium acnesA L Perry
Biomedical Sciences, School of Life and Heath Sciences, Aston University, Birmingham, UK
Lett Appl Microbiol 42:185-8. 2006b>Propionibacterium acnes, a common skin organism, is most notably recognized for its role in acne vulgaris...
- Propionibacterium acnes contamination in lumbar disc surgeryA Carricajo
Bacteriology Department, CHU Hospital Bellevue Saint Etienne, France
J Hosp Infect 66:275-7. 2007Previous studies have shown that Propionibacterium acnes may be responsible for low-grade infection of the intervertebral discs of patients with severe sciatica...
- A novel multilocus sequence typing scheme for the opportunistic pathogen Propionibacterium acnes and characterization of type I cell surface-associated antigensAndrew McDowell
Centre for Infection and Immunity, School of Medicine, Dentistry and Biomedical Sciences, Queen s University, 97 Lisburn Road, Belfast BT9 7BL, UK
Microbiology 157:1990-2003. 2011..org/pacnes/) for Propionibacterium acnes based on the analysis of seven core housekeeping genes...
- Comparative genomics and transcriptomics of Propionibacterium acnesElzbieta Brzuszkiewicz
Göttingen Genomics Laboratory, Institute of Microbiology and Genetics, Georg August University of Gottingen, Gottingen, Germany
PLoS ONE 6:e21581. 2011The anaerobic gram-positive bacterium Propionibacterium acnes is a human skin commensal that is occasionally associated with inflammatory diseases. Recent work has indicated that evolutionary distinct lineages of P...
- Genome sequence of Propionibacterium acnes type II strain ATCC 11828Balazs Horvath
Institute for Plant Genomics, Human Biotechnology and Bioenergy, Bay Zoltan Foundation for Applied Research, Szeged, Hungary
J Bacteriol 194:202-3. 2012b>Propionibacterium acnes is an anaerobic Gram-positive bacterium that forms part of the normal human cutaneous microbiota and is occasionally associated with inflammatory diseases (I. Kurokawa et al., Exp. Dermatol. 18:821-832, 2009)...
- Antimicrobial property of lauric acid against Propionibacterium acnes: its therapeutic potential for inflammatory acne vulgarisTeruaki Nakatsuji
Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, California, USA
J Invest Dermatol 129:2480-8. 2009..not been demonstrated whether lauric acid can be used for acne treatment as a natural antibiotic against Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes), which promotes follicular inflammation (inflammatory acne)...
- Localization of propionibacterium acnes in granulomas supports a possible etiologic link between sarcoidosis and the bacteriumMariko Negi
Department of Human Pathology, Tokyo Medical and Dental University Graduate School, Tokyo, Japan
Mod Pathol 25:1284-97. 2012..b>Propionibacterium acnes is the only microorganism, however, found in sarcoid lesions by bacterial culture...
- Propionibacterium acnes: infection beyond the skinAlexandra Perry
Eurofins Agroscience Services Ltd, Slade Lane, Wilson, Melbourne, Derbyshire, DE73 8AG, UK
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 9:1149-56. 2011b>Propionibacterium acnes is a Gram-positive bacterium that forms part of the normal flora of the skin, oral cavity, large intestine, the conjunctiva and the external ear canal. Although primarily recognized for its role in acne, P...
- Population genetic analysis of Propionibacterium acnes identifies a subpopulation and epidemic clones associated with acneHans B Lomholt
Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark
PLoS ONE 5:e12277. 2010The involvement of Propionibacterium acnes in the pathogenesis of acne is controversial, mainly owing to its dominance as an inhabitant of healthy skin...
- The role of Propionibacterium acnes in acne pathogenesis: facts and controversiesClio Dessinioti
Department of Dermatology, Andreas Sygros Hospital, University of Athens, 5, I Dragoumi Street, 16121, Athens, Greece
Clin Dermatol 28:2-7. 2010We have come a long way since 1896, when it was first suggested that Propionibacterium acnes, found in acne lesions, was the cause of acne...
- Characterization and genome sequencing of two Propionibacterium acnes phages displaying pseudolysogenyRolf Lood
Department of Clinical Sciences, Division of Infection Medicine, Lund University, Sweden
BMC Genomics 12:198. 2011b>Propionibacterium acnes is a Gram positive rod inhabiting the human skin that also infects orthopaedic implants and is associated with acne vulgaris. Previously, one lytic bacteriophage, PA6, from P...
- Eradication of Propionibacterium acnes by its endogenic porphyrins after illumination with high intensity blue lightHelena Ashkenazi
Health Sciences Research Center, Faculty of Life Sciences, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan 52900, Israel
FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 35:17-24. 2003b>Propionibacterium acnes is a Gram-positive, microaerophilic bacterium that causes skin wounds. It is known to naturally produce high amounts of intracellular porphyrins...
- Pulmonary granulomas caused experimentally in mice by a recombinant trigger-factor protein of Propionibacterium acnesJunko Minami
Department of Human Pathology, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Japan
J Med Dent Sci 50:265-74. 2003Etiology of sarcoidosis remains unknown. A trigger factor from Propionibacterium acnes causes a cellular immune response in some sarcoid patients but not in nonsarcoid subjects...
- Beneficial or deleterious effects of a preexisting hypersensitivity to bacterial components on the course and outcome of infectionMarina Gumenscheimer
Max Planck Institut fur Immunbiologie, 79 108 Freiburg, Germany
Infect Immun 70:5596-603. 2002Priming with heat-killed Propionibacterium acnes enhances the sensitivity of mice to lipopolysaccharide (LPS) and other biologically active bacterial components. We show that P...
- A new phylogenetic group of Propionibacterium acnesAndrew McDowell
School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen s University, Belfast BT12 6BN, UK
J Med Microbiol 57:218-24. 2008Immunofluorescence microscopy-based identification of presumptive Propionibacterium acnes isolates, using the P. acnes-specific mAb QUBPa3, revealed five organisms with an atypical cellular morphology...
- Activation of toll-like receptor 2 in acne triggers inflammatory cytokine responsesJenny Kim
Division of Dermatology, University of California, Los Angeles, School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Immunol 169:1535-41. 2002One of the factors that contributes to the pathogenesis of acne is Propionibacterium acnes; yet, the molecular mechanism by which P. acnes induces inflammation is not known...
- Histone H4 is a major component of the antimicrobial action of human sebocytesDong Youn Lee
Division of Dermatology, University of California San Diego and VA San Diego Healthcare Center, San Diego, California, USA
J Invest Dermatol 129:2489-96. 2009..aureus and Propionibacterium acnes. In addition, histone H4 enhanced the antimicrobial action of free fatty acids in human sebum...
- Characterization of Propionibacterium acnes isolates from sarcoid and non-sarcoid tissues with special reference to cell invasiveness, serotype, and trigger factor gene polymorphismAsuka Furukawa
Department of Human Pathology, Graduate School of Medicine, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Japan
Microb Pathog 46:80-7. 2009Sarcoidosis is a systemic granulomatous disease of unknown etiology. Propionibacterium acnes is the only microorganism so far isolated from sarcoid lesions. To examine whether P...
- In situ localization of Propionibacterium acnes DNA in lymph nodes from sarcoidosis patients by signal amplification with catalysed reporter depositionTetsuo Yamada
Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
J Pathol 198:541-7. 2002Sarcoidosis is a systemic granulomatous disease of unknown aetiology. Many genomes of Propionibacterium acnes and P. granulosum have been detected in lymph nodes from patients with sarcoidosis...
- Propionibacterium acnes is the most common bacterium commensal in peripheral lung tissue and mediastinal lymph nodes from subjects without sarcoidosisIkuo Ishige
Department of Human Pathology, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis 22:33-42. 2005In studies of the unknown etiology of sarcoidosis, Propionibacterium acnes (a possible agent) was found in the lungs and lymph nodes of many sarcoidosis patients and some control subjects. P...
- Modulation of integrins and filaggrin expression by Propionibacterium acnes extracts on keratinocytesV Jarrousse
INSERM U601, 9 quai Moncousu, 44093 Nantes Cedex 01, France
Arch Dermatol Res 299:441-7. 2007b>Propionibacterium acnes plays an important role in the pathogenesis of acne and it is established that this bacteria is involved in the induction and maintenance of the inflammatory phase of acne...
- Propionibacterium acnes and Staphylococcus epidermidis isolated from refractory endodontic lesions are opportunistic pathogensSadia A Niazi
Dental Institute, King s College London, London, England
J Clin Microbiol 48:3859-69. 2010..from 20 refractory endodontic lesions (9 with abscesses and 11 without abscesses) were determined, and Propionibacterium acnes and Staphylococcus epidermidis were among the most predominant organisms...
- Genetic diversity of Propionibacterium acnes strains isolated from human skin in Japan and comparison with their distribution in EuropeItaru Dekio
Skin Microbe Laboratory, Department of Dermatology, Faculty of Medicine, Shimane University, Izumo, Japan
J Med Microbiol 61:622-30. 2012b>Propionibacterium acnes, a commensal of human skin, is also an opportunistic pathogen of common acne and certain infectious diseases...
- An expanded multilocus sequence typing scheme for propionibacterium acnes: investigation of 'pathogenic', 'commensal' and antibiotic resistant strainsAndrew McDowell
Centre for Infection and Immunity, School of Medicine, Dentistry and Biomedical Sciences, Queen s University, Belfast, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 7:e41480. 2012The Gram-positive bacterium Propionibacterium acnes is a member of the normal human skin microbiota and is associated with various infections and clinical conditions...
- A microbial aetiology of acne: what is the evidence?B Shaheen
Department of Dermatology, Cardiff University School of Medicine, Cardiff CF14 4XN, UK
Br J Dermatol 165:474-85. 2011..There is considerable evidence, circumstantial at best, which suggests that micro-organisms, particularly Propionibacterium acnes, are important in the pathogenesis of acne vulgaris. However, it is still unclear whether P...
- Indigenous pulmonary Propionibacterium acnes primes the host in the development of sarcoid-like pulmonary granulomatosis in miceTetsu Nishiwaki
Department of Molecular Preventive Medicine and Solution Oriented Research for Science and Technology, The University of Tokyo School of Medicine, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Am J Pathol 165:631-9. 2004..We report here that extrapulmonary sensitization to Propionibacterium acnes, which is one of the candidates to date, induced pulmonary Th-1 granulomas mainly in the subpleural and ..
- Mutagenesis of Propionibacterium acnes and analysis of two CAMP factor knock-out mutantsMeike Sörensen
Max Planck Institute for Infection Biology, Department of Molecular Biology, D 10117 Berlin, Germany
J Microbiol Methods 83:211-6. 2010..acnes. The here presented insertional mutagenesis approach will facilitate future studies on P. acnes...
- Innate, antigen-independent role for T cells in the activation of the immune system by Propionibacterium acnesSandrine Tchaptchet
Max Planck Institute for Immunobiology, Freiburg, Germany
Eur J Immunol 40:2506-16. 2010b>Propionibacterium acnes is a human commensal but also an opportunistic pathogen. In mice, P. acnes exerts strong immunomodulatory activities, including formation of intrahepatic granulomas and induction of LPS hypersensitivity...
- Complete genome sequences of three Propionibacterium acnes isolates from the type IA(2) clusterAndrea Vörös
Bay Zoltán Nonprofit Ltd, Szeged, Hungary
J Bacteriol 194:1621-2. 2012b>Propionibacterium acnes is an anaerobic Gram-positive bacterium that has been linked to a wide range of opportunistic human infections and conditions, most notably acne vulgaris (I. Kurokawa et al., Exp. Dermatol. 18:821-832, 2009)...
- Prevalence of Propionibacterium acnes in diseased prostates and its inflammatory and transforming activity on prostate epithelial cellsLina Fassi Fehri
Department of Molecular Biology, Max Planck Institute for Infection Biology, Chariteplatz 1, D 10117 Berlin, Germany
Int J Med Microbiol 301:69-78. 2011..Recent work has detected the anaerobic Gram-positive bacterium Propionibacterium acnes in cancerous prostates, but with wide-ranging detection rates...
- TLR2 expression is increased in rosacea and stimulates enhanced serine protease production by keratinocytesKenshi Yamasaki
Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, VA San Diego Health Care System, San Diego, California, USA
J Invest Dermatol 131:688-97. 2011..These observations show that abnormal TLR2 function may explain enhanced inflammatory responses to environmental stimuli and can act as a critical element in the pathogenesis of rosacea...
- Effect of Garcinia mangostana on inflammation caused by Propionibacterium acnesMullika Traidej Chomnawang
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Mahidol University, Rachathevi, Bangkok, Thailand
Fitoterapia 78:401-8. 2007The present study was aimed to investigate the activity of Thai medicinal plants on inflammation caused by Propionibacterium acnes in terms of free radical scavenging and cytokine reducing properties. P...
- Rapid detection and quantification of PropionibacteriaceaeP Goldschmidt
Laboratoire du Centre National d Ophtalmologie des Quinze Vingts, 28 rue de Charenton, Paris, France
Br J Ophthalmol 93:258-62. 2009..The PCR cycling programme consisted of one cycle at 95 degrees C, 20 s and 45 cycles at 95 degrees C, 3 s and 30 s at 60 degrees C. DNA extraction yields were assessed in the same tube...
- Resveratrol inhibition of Propionibacterium acnesJohn J Docherty
Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Biochemistry, Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine, Rootstown, OH 44272, USA
J Antimicrob Chemother 59:1182-4. 2007To evaluate the effects of the anti-inflammatory hydroxystilbene, resveratrol, on Propionibacterium acnes growth.
- An increased incidence of Propionibacterium acnes biofilms in acne vulgaris: a case-control studyA C Jahns
Department of Medical Biosciences Pathology, Umea University, Umeå S 90185, Sweden
Br J Dermatol 167:50-8. 2012Acne vulgaris is a disorder of the sebaceous follicles. Propionibacterium acnes can be involved in inflammatory acne.
- Multilocus sequence typing and phylogenetic analysis of Propionibacterium acnesMogens Kilian
Department of Biomedicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, Aarhus University, DK 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
J Clin Microbiol 50:1158-65. 2012b>Propionibacterium acnes is a commensal of human skin but is also implicated in the pathogenesis of acne vulgaris, in biofilm-associated infections of medical devices and endophthalmitis, and in infections of bone and dental root canals...
- Porphyrin sensitization and intracellular calcium changes in the prokaryote Propionibacterium acnesS Ramstad
Department of Physics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Dragvoll, Norway
J Photochem Photobiol B 40:141-8. 1997..We have investigated whether or not similar changes can be induced in prokaryotes. The skin bacterium Propionibacterium acnes was sensitized using protoporphyrin IX (PP IX) or 5-aminolevulinic acid (ALA)...
- Propionibacterium acnes stimulates pro-matrix metalloproteinase-2 expression through tumor necrosis factor-alpha in human dermal fibroblastsJee Young Choi
Department of Dermatology, Chonnam National University Medical School, Gwangju, Korea
J Invest Dermatol 128:846-54. 2008b>Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes) is a commensal microorganism found in sebum-rich skin and plays a role in acne inflammation by stimulating keratinocyte to produce a number of proinflammatory cytokines. However, the role of P...
- Sebum free fatty acids enhance the innate immune defense of human sebocytes by upregulating beta-defensin-2 expressionTeruaki Nakatsuji
Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, San Diego, California 92161, USA
J Invest Dermatol 130:985-94. 2010..The supernatant of FFA-incubated sebocyte culture showed antimicrobial activity against Propionibacterium acnes, whereas the enhanced antimicrobial activity of human sebocytes was neutralized by anti-hBD-2 IgG...
- Inducible Siphoviruses in superficial and deep tissue isolates of Propionibacterium acnesRolf Lood
Department of Clinical Sciences, Division of Infection Medicine, BMC B14, Lund University, SE 221 84 Lund, Sweden
BMC Microbiol 8:139. 2008b>Propionibacterium acnes is a commensal of human skin but is also known to be involved in certain diseases, such as acne vulgaris and infections of orthopaedic implants...
- Review of the innate immune response in acne vulgaris: activation of Toll-like receptor 2 in acne triggers inflammatory cytokine responsesJenny Kim
Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California Los Angeles, 90095, USA
Dermatology 211:193-8. 2005..One of the factors that contributes to the pathogenesis of acne is Propionibacterium acnes; yet, the molecular mechanism by which P. acnes induces inflammation is not known...
- Pathogenesis of acneM Toyoda
Department of Dermatology, Faculty of Medicine, Toyama Medical and Pharmaceutical University, 2630 Sugitani, Toyama 930-0194, Japan
Med Electron Microsc 34:29-40. 2001..of sebaceous gland secretion by androgens, and microbial colonization of pilosebaceous units by Propionibacterium acnes, which promotes perifollicular inflammation...
- Pathological mechanisms of acne with special emphasis on Propionibacterium acnes and related therapyUta Jappe
Department of Dermatology and Venereology, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Acta Derm Venereol 83:241-8. 2003..b>Propionibacterium acnes releases pro-inflammatory cytokines as well as antigens and mitogen(s), with cellular and non-cellular ..
- Sarcoidosis and NOD1 variation with impaired recognition of intracellular Propionibacterium acnesTsuyoshi Tanabe
Age Dimension Research Center, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, Tsukuba 305 8566, Japan
Biochim Biophys Acta 1762:794-801. 2006..We found that intracellular Propionibacterium acnes, a possible causative agent of sarcoidosis, activated NF-kappaB in both NOD1- and NOD2-dependent manners...
- Induction of toll-like receptors by Propionibacterium acnesS Jugeau
INSERM U601, CHU, Pl A Ricordeau, 44095 Nantes, France
Br J Dermatol 153:1105-13. 2005The bacterium Propionibacterium acnes is involved in the induction and maintenance of the inflammatory phase of acne. Recent studies have found that keratinocytes express toll-like receptors (TLRs) implicated in immediate immunity...
- Cloning of a new cytokine that induces IFN-gamma production by T cellsH Okamura
Department of Bacteriology, Hyogo College of Medicine, Nishinomiya, Japan
Nature 378:88-91. 1995..Administration of anti-IGIF antibodies prevents liver damage in mice inoculated with Propionibacterium acnes and challenged with lipopolysaccharide, which induces toxic shock...
- The complete genome sequence of Propionibacterium acnes, a commensal of human skinHolger Bruggemann
Göttingen Genomics Laboratory, Institute of Microbiology and Genetics, Georg August University Gottingen, Grisebachstrasse 8, 37077 Gottingen, Germany
Science 305:671-3. 2004b>Propionibacterium acnes is a major inhabitant of adult human skin, where it resides within sebaceous follicles, usually as a harmless commensal although it has been implicated in acne vulgaris formation...
- In vitro activities of three synthetic peptides derived from epinecidin-1 and an anti-lipopolysaccharide factor against Propionibacterium acnes, Candida albicans, and Trichomonas vaginalisChieh Yu Pan
Department of Aquaculture, National Taiwan Ocean University, Keelung, Taiwan
Peptides 30:1058-68. 2009..We studied the in vitro activities of epinecidin-1(22-42), csSALF(55-76), and lsSALF(55-76) against Propionibacterium acnes, Candida albicans, and Trichomonas vaginalis...
- Proteomic identification of secreted proteins of Propionibacterium acnesCarsten Holland
Department of Molecular Biology, Max Planck Institute for Infection Biology, Berlin, Germany
BMC Microbiol 10:230. 2010The anaerobic Gram-positive bacterium Propionibacterium acnes is a human skin commensal that resides preferentially within sebaceous follicles; however, it also exhibits many traits of an opportunistic pathogen, playing roles in a ..
- Sebocytes express functional cathelicidin antimicrobial peptides and can act to kill propionibacterium acnesDong Youn Lee
J Invest Dermatol 128:1863-6. 2008
- Skin microbiota: a source of disease or defence?A L Cogen
Department of Bioengineering, Division of Dermatology, School of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
Br J Dermatol 158:442-55. 2008..Specifically, the review will discuss our current understanding of the cutaneous microbiota as well as shifting paradigms in the interpretation of the roles microbes play in skin health and disease...
- Vaccination targeting a surface sialidase of P. acnes: implication for new treatment of acne vulgarisTeruaki Nakatsuji
Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, University of California San Diego, San Diego, California, USA
PLoS ONE 3:e1551. 2008..people in the United State and the severity of this disorder is associated with the immune response to Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes). Systemic therapies for acne target P...
- Biofilm formation by Propionibacterium acnes is a characteristic of invasive isolatesA Holmberg
Department of Clinical Sciences, Division of Infection Medicine, Lund University, 221 84 Lund, Sweden
Clin Microbiol Infect 15:787-95. 2009b>Propionibacterium acnes is a common and probably underestimated cause of delayed joint prosthesis infection. Bacterial biofilm formation is central in the pathogenesis of infections related to foreign material, and P...
- MALDI-TOF MS fingerprinting facilitates rapid discrimination of phylotypes I, II and III of Propionibacterium acnesElisabeth Nagy
Hungarian Anaerobe Reference Laboratory, Institute of Clinical Microbiology, University of Szeged, 6725 Szeged, Semmelweis u 6, Hungary
Anaerobe 20:20-6. 2013..b>Propionibacterium acnes is frequently referred to as an anaerobic skin commensal of relatively low pathogenicity...
- Propionibacterium acnes-induced hepatic granuloma formation is impaired in mice lacking tetraspanin CD9Hiroyuki Yamane
Department of Molecular Medicine, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
J Pathol 206:486-92. 2005..When intrahepatic granulomas were induced by intravenous injection of Propionibacterium acnes, hepatocyte CD9 was extensively upregulated, while inflammatory cells constituting granulomas were mostly ..
- Propionibacterium acnes host cell tropism contributes to vimentin-mediated invasion and induction of inflammationTim N Mak
Department of Molecular Biology, Max Planck Institute for Infection Biology, Berlin, Germany
Cell Microbiol 14:1720-33. 2012The contribution of the human microbiota to health and disease is poorly understood. Propionibacterium acnes is a prominent member of the skin microbiota, but is also associated with acne vulgaris...
- Draft genome sequence of an antibiotic-resistant Propionibacterium acnes strain, PRP-38, from the novel type IC clusterAndrew McDowell
Centre for Infection and Immunity, School of Medicine, Dentistry and Biomedical Sciences, Queen s University, Belfast, United Kingdom
J Bacteriol 194:3260-1. 2012b>Propionibacterium acnes, a non-spore-forming, anaerobic gram-positive bacterium, is most notably recognized for its association with acne vulgaris (I. Kurokawa et al., Exp. Dermatol. 18:821-832, 2009)...
- Effect of Lactobacillus reuteri on the proliferation of Propionibacterium acnes and Staphylococcus epidermidisMi Sun Kang
Department of Microbiology, School of Medicine, Chonnam National University, Gwangju, 501 746, Republic of Korea
J Microbiol 50:137-42. 2012While it is generally accepted that Propionibacterium acnes is involved in the development of acne, other bacteria including Staphylococcus epidermidis have also been isolated from the acne lesion...
- Antibiotics for the eradication of Propionibacterium acnes biofilms in surgical infectionRoger Bayston
Biomaterials Related Infection Group, School of Medical and Surgical Sciences, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 60:1298-301. 2007b>Propionibacterium acnes is increasingly recognized as a cause of delayed infection after spinal instrumentation or shunting for hydrocephalus. Biofilm development by this organism has recently been demonstrated...
- Time series community genomics analysis reveals rapid shifts in bacterial species, strains, and phage during infant gut colonizationItai Sharon
Department of Earth and Planetary Science, UC Berkeley, Berkeley, California 94720, USA
Genome Res 23:111-20. 2013..At the species level, we observed the decline of an early-colonizing Propionibacterium acnes strain similar to SK137 and the proliferation of novel Propionibacterium and Peptoniphilus species late ..
- A descriptive study of bacterial load of full-thickness surgical wounds in dermatologic surgeryKarim Saleh
Division of Dermatology and Venereology, Department of Clinical Sciences, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Dermatol Surg 37:1014-22. 2011..The pathogenesis of wound infections is complex and is dependent on bacterial load and diversity, among several factors...
- The antimicrobial activity of liposomal lauric acids against Propionibacterium acnesDarren Yang
Department of NanoEngineering, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Biomaterials 30:6035-40. 2009This study evaluated the antimicrobial activity of lauric acid (LA) and its liposomal derivatives against Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes), the bacterium that promotes inflammatory acne...
- The evolving role of Propionibacterium acnes in acneJ J Leyden
Department of Dermatology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Semin Cutan Med Surg 20:139-43. 2001b>Propionibacterium acnes is a member of the resident cutaneous flora. Sebaceous follicles involved in acne are characterized by the accumulation of abnormally desquamated corneocytes and excess sebum-the microcomedo...
- A mouse model of chronic prostatic inflammation using a human prostate cancer-derived isolate of Propionibacterium acnesDebika Biswal Shinohara
Department of Environmental Health Sciences, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Prostate 73:1007-15. 2013..To study this potential link in an in vivo system, we developed a mouse model of long-term bacteria-induced chronic inflammation of the prostate using a human prostatectomy-derived strain of Propionibacterium acnes.
- Propionibacterium acnes infection induces upregulation of inflammatory genes and cytokine secretion in prostate epithelial cellsJohanna B Drott
Department of Clinical Microbiology Virology, Umea University, SE 901 87 Umea, Sweden
BMC Microbiol 10:126. 2010The immune stimulating bacterium Propionibacterium acnes is a frequent colonizer of benign and malignant prostate tissue. To understand the pathogenesis of the earliest phase of this infection, we examined the P...
- Role of monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 in Propionibacterium acnes-induced pulmonary granulomatosisH Ichiyasu
First Department of Internal Medicine, Kumamoto University School of Medicine, Kumamoto, Japan
Microsc Res Tech 53:288-97. 2001..we developed a model using sensitized rabbits for T cell-mediated pulmonary granulomatosis induced by Propionibacterium acnes (P...
- Glycolic acid chemical peeling improves inflammatory acne eruptions through its inhibitory and bactericidal effects on Propionibacterium acnesYuko Takenaka
Department of Dermatology, Tokyo Women s Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
J Dermatol 39:350-4. 2012..To assess growth inhibitory and bactericidal effects of glycolic acid on Propionibacterium acnes in vitro, we used an agar diffusion method and a time-kill method...
- Multilocus sequence typing (MLST) analysis of Propionibacterium acnes isolates from radical prostatectomy specimensTim N Mak
Department of Biomedicine, Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark
Prostate 73:770-7. 2013..The pro-inflammatory anaerobe, Propionibacterium acnes, is ubiquitously found on human skin and is associated with the skin disease acne vulgaris...
- Quantitative PCR of Propionibacterium acnes DNA in samples aspirated from sebaceous follicles on the normal skin of subjects with or without acneYuriko Miura
Fukasawa Dermatology Clinic, Kanagawa, Japan
J Med Dent Sci 57:65-74. 2010To elucidate whether people with hair follicles containing many Propionibacterium acnes cells are prone to acne, we developed a novel method to count the number of P. acnes in hair follicles...
- Intratumoral injection of Propionibacterium acnes suppresses malignant melanoma by enhancing Th1 immune responsesKenshiro Tsuda
Department of Dermatology, Graduate School of Medicine, Mie University, Tsu, Mie, Japan
PLoS ONE 6:e29020. 2011..b>Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes) is an aerotolerant anaerobic gram-positive bacteria that causes acne and inflammation...
- Anti-inflammatory effects of erythromycin and tetracycline on Propionibacterium acnes induced production of chemotactic factors and reactive oxygen species by human neutrophilsA Jain
Department of Microbiology, King George s Medical College, Lucknow 226003, India
Dermatol Online J 8:2. 2002b>Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes), an anaerobic pathogen, plays an important role in the pathogenesis of acne and seems to initiate the inflammatory process by producing neutrophil chemotactic factors (NCF)...
- Clinical significance of Propionibacterium acnes recovered from blood cultures: analysis of 524 episodesHyun Jung Park
Department of Infectious Diseases, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul 138 736, Republic of Korea
J Clin Microbiol 49:1598-601. 2011Of 522 patients with Propionibacterium acnes bacteremia (PAB), 18 (3.5%) had clinically significant PAB. Of these 18 patients, 10 (55.6%) had hospital-acquired bacteremia and 6 (33...
- Modulatory effect of killed Propionibacterium acnes and its purified soluble polysaccharide on peritoneal exudate cells from C57Bl/6 mice: major NKT cell recruitment and increased cytotoxicityR Z Ananias
Disciplina de Imunologia, Departamento de Microbiologia, Imunologia e Parasitologia, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Scand J Immunol 65:538-48. 2007b>Propionibacterium acnes has been described as a potent adjuvant to immune responses in vitro and in vivo. Presently, we analysed the modulation of peritoneal exudate cells (PEC) by heat-killed P...
- Susceptibilities of Propionibacterium acnes ophthalmic isolates to ertapenem, meropenem, and cefepimeRobert Shames
Division of Infectious Disease, Long Island Jewish Medical Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New Hyde Park, New York 11042, USA
J Clin Microbiol 44:4227-8. 2006We investigated the in vitro susceptibilities of 23 Propionibacterium acnes ophthalmic isolates to ertapenem, meropenem, and cefepime by utilizing the Etest. The MICs ranged from 0.094 microg/ml to 0.75 microg/ml, 0.094 microg/ml to 1...
- TNF-alpha hyper-responses to Gram-negative and Gram-positive bacteria in Propionibacterium acnes primed or Salmonella typhimurium infected miceT Merlin
, Freiburg, Germany
J Endotoxin Res 7:157-63. 2001..Using Lps(n) BALB/c and Lps(d) BALB/c/l mice, primed with Propionibacterium acnes or infected with Salmonella typhimurium, we show that concurrently to hypersensitivity to LPS, a ..
- Propionibacterium acnes DNA detected in bronchoalveolar lavage cells from patients with sarcoidosisJun ichi Hiramatsu
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Okayama University Medical School, Okayama, Japan
Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis 20:197-203. 2003The causes of sarcoidosis are unknown. Propionibacterium acnes is so far the only bacterium to be found in sarcoid lymph nodes. We attempted to detect P...
- Propionibacterium acnes biotypes and susceptibility to minocycline and Keigai-rengyo-toShuichi Higaki
Department of Dermatology, Faculty of Medicine, Toyama Medical and Pharmaceutical University, 2630 Sugitani, Toyama shi 930 0194, Japan
Int J Dermatol 43:103-7. 2004b>Propionibacterium acnes is the predominant organism in acne lesions, but the sensitivity of different biotypes of P. acnes to therapeutic agents has seldom been reported.
- Heterologous expression of linoleic acid isomerase from Propionibacterium acnes and anti-proliferative activity of recombinant trans-10, cis-12 conjugated linoleic acidEva Rosberg-Cody
Teagasc, Moorepark Food Research, Biotechnology Centre, Fermoy, Co Cork, Ireland
Microbiology 153:2483-90. 2007The linoleic acid isomerase enzyme from Propionibacterium acnes responsible for bioconversion of linoleic acid to trans-10, cis-12 conjugated linoleic acid (t10, c12 CLA) was cloned and overexpressed in Lactococcus lactis and Escherichia ..
- Alleviation of lipopolysaccharide-induced acute liver injury in Propionibacterium acnes-primed IFN-gamma-deficient mice by a concomitant reduction of TNF-alpha, IL-12, and IL-18 productionH Tsuji
First Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, Kanazawa University, Ishikawa, Japan
J Immunol 162:1049-55. 1999..was designed to investigate the role of IFN-gamma in LPS-induced liver injury following priming with Propionibacterium acnes. At 1 week after priming BALB/c mice with P...
- Propionibacterium acnes vaccination induces regulatory T cells and Th1 immune responses and improves mouse atopic dermatitisHiroshi Kitagawa
Exp Dermatol 20:157-8. 2011Atopic dermatitis (AD) is a chronic disease characterized by a polarized Th2 immune response. Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes) has been shown to elicit strong Th1 immune responses. We hypothesized that the host immune response to P...
- Neolitsea aciculata essential oil inhibits drug-resistant skin pathogen growth and Propionibacterium acnes-induced inflammatory effects of human monocyte leukemiaSang Suk Kim
Department Department of Chemistry, Cheju National University, Ara l dong, Jeju 690 756, Korea
Nat Prod Commun 6:1193-8. 2011..NAE exhibited moderate to strong antibacterial activity against drug-susceptible and -resistant Propionibacterium acnes and Staphylococcus epidermidis, which are known as acne-causing bacteria. In addition, NAE reduced the P...
- Roles of CD14 in LPS-induced liver injury and lethality in mice pretreated with Propionibacterium acnesYoshihiro Shuto
Department of Immunonology and Allergy, Oita University Medical School, Hasama machi, Oita 879 5593, Japan
Immunol Lett 94:47-55. 2004The mechanism of the liver damage and lethality in Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes)-LPS system remains obscure...
- Propionibacterium acnes brain abscess appearing 10 years after neurosurgerySarah M Kranick
Hospital of University of Pennsylvania, Department of Neurology, 3 W Gates, 3400 Spruce St, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Arch Neurol 66:793-5. 2009To describe a case of Propionibacterium acnes infection arising 10 years after neurosurgery and to review the literature regarding similar cases and their treatment.
- Antibodies elicited by inactivated propionibacterium acnes-based vaccines exert protective immunity and attenuate the IL-8 production in human sebocytes: relevance to therapy for acne vulgarisTeruaki Nakatsuji
Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, California 92161, USA
J Invest Dermatol 128:2451-7. 2008b>Propionibacterium acnes is a key pathogen involved in the progression of inflammation in acne vulgaris. We examined whether vaccination against P. acnes suppressed P. acnes-induced skin inflammation. Inactivation of P...
- Bioengineering a humanized acne microenvironment model: proteomics analysis of host responses to Propionibacterium acnes infection in vivoTeruaki Nakatsuji
Department of Medicine, Division of Dermatology, University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
Proteomics 8:3406-15. 2008..Unlike humans, most animals produce little or no triglycerides in hair follicles to harbor Propionibacterium acnes a fact that has encumbered the development of novel treatments for acne lesions...
- Protective effects of radix Rosa laevigata against Propionibacterium acnes and lipopolysaccharide-induced liver injuryRong rong He
School of Traditional Chinese Materia Medicine, Shengyang Pharmaceutical University, Shengyang, China
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 73:1129-36. 2009We investigated the effects of an extract of Radix Rosa laevigata (R. R. laevigata) on Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes) and lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced acute liver injury...
- Antimicrobial susceptibilities of Propionibacterium acnes isolated from patients with acne vulgarisNatsumi Ishida
Department of Microbiology, School of Pharmacy, Tokyo University of Pharmacy and Life Science, Hachioji, Tokyo, Japan
Microbiol Immunol 52:621-4. 2008Antibiotic susceptibilities of Propionibacterium acnes in Japan were determined. Erythromycin-resistance was found in 10.4% (5/48) of the strains, and four of these were cross-resistance to clindamycin...
- Propionibacterium acnes: an under-appreciated cause of post-neurosurgical infectionM Nisbet
Infectious Disease Department, Auckland City Hospital, Private Bag 92024, Auckland, New Zealand
J Antimicrob Chemother 60:1097-103. 2007b>Propionibacterium acnes is increasingly recognized as a cause of post-neurosurgical infection. This review of patients with P...
- The Propionibacterium acnes genome: from the laboratory to the clinicTed Rosen
Dermatology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
J Drugs Dermatol 6:582-6. 2007The genome of Propionibacterium acnes, the microbe presumed to be at least partially etiologic for the development of acne, has recently been decoded...
- Inhibition of propionibacterium acnes by bacteriocin-like inhibitory substances (BLIS) produced by Streptococcus salivariusWhitney P Bowe
Department of Dermatology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Drugs Dermatol 5:868-70. 2006We report the in vitro inhibition of Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes) by a bacteriocin-like inhibitory substance (BLIS-like substance) produced by Streptococcus salivarius (S. salivarius)...
- Propionibacterium acnes as an etiological agent of arthroplastic and osteosynthetic infections--two cases with specific clinical presentation including formation of draining fistulaeB Soderquist
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Clinical Microbiology, Orebro University Hospital, Orebro, Sweden
Anaerobe 16:304-6. 2010..b>Propionibacterium acnes was isolated in multiple cultures in both cases...
- Antimicrobial activity of enterocins from Enterococcus faecalis SL-5 against Propionibacterium acnes, the causative agent in acne vulgaris, and its therapeutic effectBong Seon Kang
Department of Dermatology, Kangnam St Mary s Hospital, Seoul 137 040, Republic of Korea
J Microbiol 47:101-9. 2009..antimicrobial activity against Gram-positive pathogens assayed, especially the highest activity against Propionibacterium acnes. The antimicrobial substance was purified and verified as a bacteriocin (named ESL5) of E...
- Effect of adjunctive treatment with intravenously administered Propionibacterium acnes on reproductive performance in mares with persistent endometritisBarton W Rohrbach
Department of Comparative Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37996, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 231:107-13. 2007To determine whether treatment with a preparation of Propionibacterium acnes would improve pregnancy and live foal rates in mares with persistent endometritis.
- Effect of konjac glucomannan hydrolysates and probiotics on the growth of the skin bacterium Propionibacterium acnes in vitroF H Al-Ghazzewi
Glycologic Limited, c o Glasgow Caledonian University, Glasgow, U K
Int J Cosmet Sci 32:139-42. 2010..of probiotic bacteria and konjac glucomannan hydrolysates (GMH) to inhibit acne-inducing bacterium, Propionibacterium acnes growth was studied in vitro...
- The effect of Propionibacterium acnes on maturation of dendritic cells derived from acne patients' peripherial blood mononuclear cellsAnna Michalak-Stoma
Department of Clinical Immunology, Medical University of Lublin, Poland
Folia Histochem Cytobiol 46:535-9. 2008b>Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes) has been implicated in the pathogenesis of acne vulgaris which is the most common cutaneous disorder...
- On the mechanism of a polyunsaturated fatty acid double bond isomerase from Propionibacterium acnesAlena Liavonchanka
Department for Plant Biochemistry, Albrecht von Haller Institute for Plant Sciences, Goettingen, Germany
J Biol Chem 284:8005-12. 2009The catalytic mechanism of Propionibacterium acnes polyunsaturated fatty acid isomerase (PAI) is explored by kinetic, spectroscopic, and thermodynamic studies...
- Heat shock proteins and inflammatory acne vulgaris: molecular cloning, overexpression and purification of a propionibacterium acnes GroEL and DnaK homologueM D Farrar
Skin Research Centre, Division of Microbiology, School of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Leeds, LS2 9JT, Leeds, UK
FEMS Microbiol Lett 191:183-6. 2000b>Propionibacterium acnes is associated with inflammatory acne. The genes encoding two putative mediators of inflammation, the heat shock proteins GroEL and DnaK, were cloned from this organism and sequenced...
- Propionibacterium acnes resistance: a worldwide problemE A Eady
University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
Dermatology 206:54-6. 2003Antibiotic therapy directed against Propionibacterium acnes has been a mainstay of treatment for more than 40 years. Despite years of widespread use of systemic tetracyclines and erythromycin, change in P...
- Antibiotic resistance of Propionibacterium acnes in acne vulgarisJil K Swanson
Department of Dermatology, University of Pittsburgh Physicians, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Dermatol Nurs 15:359-62. 2003..Antibiotics remain the most common prescribed agent for the treatment of acne. Improper use of antibiotics in the dermatological setting needs to be evaluated to prevent the increasing prevalence of antibiotic resistance...
- Increases in cytokine and antimicrobial peptide gene expression in horses by immunomodulation with Propionibacterium acnesElizabeth G Davis
Department of Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS, 66506, USA
Vet Ther 4:5-11. 2003Immunomodulation with Propionibacterium acnes is used for prophylaxis of respiratory disease or in horses suffering from chronic pulmonary inflammation; however, the mechanism for this response is poorly understood...
- The potential use of Echinacea in acne: control of Propionibacterium acnes growth and inflammationM Sharma
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Phytother Res 25:517-21. 2011Acne is a chronic inflammatory disorder of skin follicles caused by the gram-positive bacterium Propionibacterium acnes. The possibility was investigated that a standardized preparation of Echinacea purpurea (Echinaforce®), with known ..
- 5-Naphthoylsalicylanilides as improved anti-acne agentsRichard Evans; Fiscal Year: 2007..These include: 1) a broad spectrum of antibacterial activity, with exceptional activity against Propionibacterium acnes (a significant factor in the progression of acne) as well as other dermal pathogens such as ..
- GRANULYSIN: ANTIMICROBIAL/ANTI-INFLAMMATORY ROLE IN ACNERobert Modlin; Fiscal Year: 2007..The increase in antibiotic-resistant strains of Propionibacterium acnes, the bacterium that contributes to the pathogenesis of acne, has hastened research for development of ..
- GRANULYSIN: ANTIMICROBIAL/ANTI-INFLAMMATORY ROLE IN ACNERobert Modlin; Fiscal Year: 2009..The increase in antibiotic-resistant strains of Propionibacterium acnes, the bacterium that contributes to the pathogenesis of acne, has hastened research for development of ..
- Transfusion Medicine/Hemostasis Clinical Trials NetworkMark Brecher; Fiscal Year: 2007..Two TMH CTN protocols are ongoing at UNC, and it is the intention of the investigators at this site to support new network protocols in the future. UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA CHAPEL HILL CRITIQUES ..
- Innate Immunity in Acne VulgarisJenny J Kim; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Innate and Adaptive Immunity in Acne VulgarisJenny Kim; Fiscal Year: 2006..In inflammatory acne, Propionibacterium acnes plays a key role in eliciting host inflammatory response that is thought to be important for the ..
- Effect of Zinc in Attaching and Effacing E. coli InfectionJOHN K contact CRANE; Fiscal Year: 2010..Zinc inhibits the virulence of both of these groups of E. coli, and we wish to study zinc further to see if it could be used as a treatment for these infections. ..
- Host Cell Killing by EPEC: Central Role in PathogenesisJOHN CRANE; Fiscal Year: 2005..coli (RDEC-1) and rabbit EPEC (REPEC). ..
- Enteropathogenic and Toxigenic E.coli InteractionsJOHN CRANE; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Effect of Zinc in Enteropathogenic E. coli InfectionJOHN CRANE; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Immunological Secretomes of the Early Anthrax InfectionChun Ming Huang; Fiscal Year: 2010..This protein will thus serve as a positive control to evaluate novel antigens identified in the proposed studies. ..
- Secretomes captured in vivo via ultrafiltration probesChun Ming Huang; Fiscal Year: 2007..We believe that using CUF probes/Mass spectrometry will be a powerful tool which can be applied to other animal models and other human diseases. ..
- Anthrax vaccination by targeting spore germinationChun Ming Huang; Fiscal Year: 2005..This unprecedented study will elicit the pathological mechanisms and vaccination capabilities of immune inhibitor A and camelysin expressed in Bacillus anthracis. ..
- Immunological Secretomes of the Early Anthrax InfectionChun Ming Huang; Fiscal Year: 2007..This protein will thus serve as a positive control to evaluate novel antigens identified in the proposed studies. ..
- OCULAR MELANOMAPaul Finger; Fiscal Year: 2003..Standardized clinical and data collection procedures will be employed, and standardized forms will be used in all centers. Central training and certification of all study staff will be required. ..
- Physical Activity, Aging and Immune FunctionJeffrey Woods; Fiscal Year: 2005..In addition, the biobehavioral approach inherent in our aims will allow us to determine the complexity of the relationship between exercise and immune function. ..