Summary: A species of gram-negative, non-spore-forming bacteria isolated from the natural cavities of man and other animals and from necrotic lesions, abscesses, and blood.
Publications191 found, 100 shown here
- [Lemierre's syndrome: literature review]C A Righini
Service d ORL et de Chirurgie Cervico faciale
Ann Otolaryngol Chir Cervicofac 123:179-88. 2006..Our aim was to recall the pathogenesis, clinic aspects and therapeutic options for Lemierre's syndrome...
- The evolution of Lemierre syndrome: report of 2 cases and review of the literatureJulio A Chirinos
Department of Medicine, University of Miami School of Medicine, FL, USA
Medicine (Baltimore) 81:458-65. 2002..A high degree of clinical suspicion is necessary for diagnosis. Fusobacterium necrophorum is the usual etiologic agent. The disease progresses in several steps...
- Lemierre's syndromeDavid Kirsch
Department of Radiology, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, USA
Ear Nose Throat J 83:806. 2004
- Human infection with Fusobacterium necrophorum (Necrobacillosis), with a focus on Lemierre's syndromeTerry Riordan
Microbiology Department, Royal Devon and Exeter Foundation Trust, Exeter, United Kingdom
Clin Microbiol Rev 20:622-59. 2007Human infection with Fusobacterium necrophorum usually involves F. necrophorum subsp. funduliforme rather than F. necrophorum subsp. necrophorum, which is a common pathogen in animals...
- Activation of the contact system at the surface of Fusobacterium necrophorum represents a possible virulence mechanism in Lemièrre's syndromeKarin Holm
Department of Clinical Sciences, Division of Infection Medicine, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Infect Immun 79:3284-90. 2011b>Fusobacterium necrophorum causes Lemièrre's syndrome, a serious disease with septic thrombophlebitis of the internal jugular vein, pulmonary involvement, and systemic inflammation...
- Similar recovery rates of Fusobacterium necrophorum from recurrently infected and non-infected tonsilsTejs Ehlers Klug
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Aarhus University Hospital, Noerrebrogade 44, 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
Dan Med Bull 58:A4295. 2011Recent studies implicate the presence of Fusobacterium necrophorum (FN) in recurrent tonsillitis (RT), acute tonsillitis and peritonsillar abscess...
- Immunogenicity and protective effects of truncated recombinant leukotoxin proteins of Fusobacterium necrophorum in miceSanjeev Kumar Narayanan
Department of Diagnostic Medicine Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Kansas State University, 305 Coles Hall, Manhattan, KS 66506 5606, USA
Vet Microbiol 93:335-47. 2003b>Fusobacterium necrophorum, a gram-negative, anaerobic and rod-shaped bacterium, is generally an opportunistic pathogen and causes a wide variety of necrotic infections in animals and humans...
- Variation in Fusobacterium necrophorum strains present on the hooves of footrot infected sheep, goats and cattleHuitong Zhou
Agriculture and Life Sciences Division, PO Box 84, Lincoln University, Lincoln 7647, New Zealand
Vet Microbiol 135:363-7. 2009..nodosus) and Fusobacterium necrophorum (F. necrophorum) are thought to be involved in the etiology of this disease...
- An indirect ELISA for serodiagnosis of cattle footrot caused by Fusobacterium necrophorumD H Guo
College of Animal Science and Veterinary Medicine, Heilongjiang Bayi Agricultural University, Daqing High tech Industrial Development Zone, Daqing, PR China
Anaerobe 16:317-20. 2010A serodiagnostic ELISA (rL-ELISA) using recombinant truncated leukotoxin protein PL2 (aa 311-644) of Fusobacterium necrophorum as antigen was developed for detection of antibodies against F. necrophorum from cattle footrot...
- Frequency, microbial interactions, and antimicrobial susceptibility of Fusobacterium nucleatum and Fusobacterium necrophorum isolated from primary endodontic infectionsRogerio C Jacinto
Department of Restorative Dentistry, Endodontic Division, Piracicaba Dental School, University of Campinas, UNICAMP, Piracicaba, SP, Brazil
J Endod 34:1451-6. 2008This study assessed the prevalence and microbial interactions of Fusobacterium nucleatum and Fusobacterium necrophorum in primary endodontic infections from a Brazilian population and their antimicrobial susceptibility to some ..
- A 21-year-old man with fever and sore throat rapidly progressive to hemoptysis and respiratory failure. Diagnosis: Lemierre syndrome with Fusobacterium necrophorum sepsisMatthew Jankowich
Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine, Rhode Island Hospital, Brown Medical School, Department of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine, Providence, RI 02903, USA
Chest 132:1706-9. 2007
- Detection of Fusobacterium necrophorum subsp. funduliforme in tonsillitis in young adults by real-time PCRA Jensen
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Viborg Hospital, Viborg, Denmark
Clin Microbiol Infect 13:695-701. 2007..with non-streptococcal tonsillitis (NST) and 92 healthy controls were examined for the presence of Fusobacterium necrophorum DNA using a novel TaqMan-based real-time quantitative PCR assay for F. necrophorum subspecies...
- Fusobacterium necrophorum- detection and identification on a selective agarSteffen Bank
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Viborg Hospital, Denmark
APMIS 118:994-9. 2010Within the last decade, Fusobacterium necrophorum subsp. funduliforme has been considered a clinically important pathogen causing pharyngitis especially in adolescents and young adults. F...
- Lemierre's syndrome and other disseminated Fusobacterium necrophorum infections in Denmark: a prospective epidemiological and clinical surveyL Hagelskjaer Kristensen
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Viborg Hospital, Heibergs Alle 4, Viborg, Denmark
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 27:779-89. 2008In a 3-year prospective study, all cases of disseminated Fusobacterium necrophorum infections found in Denmark from 1998 to 2001 were analysed, with the aim of describing the epidemiology and clinical features of the variants of Lemierre'..
- Human infections with Fusobacterium necrophorumJon S Brazier
Anaerobe Reference Laboratory, National Public Health Service for Wales Microbiology Cardiff, University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff, UK
Anaerobe 12:165-72. 2006b>Fusobacterium necrophorum is a Gram-negative anaerobic bacillus that can be a primary pathogen causing either localised abscesses and throat infections or systemic life-threatening disease. Systemic infections due to F...
- Acute phase response in lame cattle with interdigital dermatitisS Nazifi
Department of Clinical Studies, School of Veterinary Medicine, Shiraz University, Shiraz, Iran
World J Microbiol Biotechnol 28:1791-6. 2012..None of the colonies on enriched blood agar was identified as Fusobacterium necrophorum. Four (26...
- Prevalence of Fusobacterium necrophorum and other upper respiratory tract pathogens isolated from throat swabsA Batty
Department of Clinical Microbiology, University College London Hospitals, Windeyer Institute of Medical Sciences, 46 Cleveland Street, London W1T 4JF
Br J Biomed Sci 62:66-70. 2005b>Fusobacterium necrophorum, an anaerobic, Gram-negative rod, has been identified recently as a significant cause of persistent sore throat syndrome (PSTS)...
- Respiratory failure and hypercoagulability in a toddler with Lemierre's syndromeTal Schmid
Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, Shaare Zedek Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel
Pediatrics 115:e620-2. 2005..Blood cultures were positive for Fusobacterium necrophorum. Screening for hypercoagulability revealed 2 known risk factors: a mutation in the prothrombin gene and ..
- Detection of antibodies against Fusobacterium necrophorum and Porphyromonas levii-like species in dairy cattle with papillomatous digital dermatitisKyaw Kyaw Moe
Laboratory of Veterinary Public Health, Department of Veterinary Science, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Miyazaki, 1 1 Gakuenkibanadai nishi, Miyazaki 889 2192, Japan
Microbiol Immunol 54:338-46. 2010..Moreover, 16S rRNA genes of Fusobacterium necrophorum and Porphyromonas levii-like species were detected in the lesions...
- Dichelobacter nodosus, Fusobacterium necrophorum and the epidemiology of footrotGrant Bennett
Agriculture and Life Sciences Division, P O Box 84, Lincoln University, Lincoln 7647, New Zealand
Anaerobe 15:173-6. 2009..nodosus) or Fusobacterium necrophorum (F. necrophorum) species were present on each swab...
- Increased diagnosis of Lemierre syndrome and other Fusobacterium necrophorum infections at a Children's HospitalSusan Ramirez
Department of Internal Medicine, Medical College of Wisconsin and Children s Hospital of Wisconsin, Milwaukee 53226, USA
Pediatrics 112:e380. 2003To assess the apparent increase in the diagnosis of Lemierre syndrome (LS) and other Fusobacterium necrophorum infections at a large children's hospital...
- Complicated otitis media caused by Fusobacterium necrophorumW Giridharan
Department of Otolaryngology, Alder Hey Children s Hospital, Liverpool, UK
J Laryngol Otol 118:50-3. 2004b>Fusobacterium necrophorum is implicated as an aetiological agent in a variety of necrotic diseases, such as Lemièrre's syndrome (LS) in humans...
- Real-time PCR investigation into the importance of Fusobacterium necrophorum as a cause of acute pharyngitis in general practiceS H Aliyu
Clinical Microbiology and Public Health Laboratory, Health Protection Agency, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, UK
J Med Microbiol 53:1029-35. 2004b>Fusobacterium necrophorum is recognized as the cause of a severe life-threatening illness characterized by bacteraemia with metastatic abscesses following an acute sore throat (Lemierre's disease). However, the importance of F...
- Fusobacterium necrophorum infection associated with portal vein thrombosisMichelle R Redford
Department of Medicine, South Tyneside NHS Foundation Trust, South Tyneside District Hospital, Harton Lane, South Shields, Tyne and Wear NE34 0PL, UK
J Med Microbiol 54:993-5. 2005..upper respiratory tract or gastrointestinal infection who developed portal vein thrombosis secondary to Fusobacterium necrophorum septicaemia. The patient responded well to systemic antibiotic therapy. The implications of F...
- Factor H binding as a complement evasion mechanism for an anaerobic pathogen, Fusobacterium necrophorumNathalie Friberg
Department of Bacteriology and Immunology, Haartman Institute, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
J Immunol 181:8624-32. 2008b>Fusobacterium necrophorum subspecies funduliforme is an obligate anaerobic Gram-negative rod causing invasive infections such as the life-threatening Lemierre's syndrome (sore throat, septicemia, jugular vein thrombosis, and disseminated ..
- Fusobacterium necrophorum-induced sepsis: an unusual case of Lemierre's syndromeP M Kuduvalli
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Liverpool, UK
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 49:572-5. 2005..The causative organisms are the anaerobic fusobacteria, most commonly Fusobacterium necrophorum. We describe the evaluation, therapeutic interventions and management of a patient with Lemierre's ..
- Update on the taxonomy and clinical aspects of the genus fusobacteriumDiane M Citron
R M Alden Research Laboratory, Santa Monica, CA, 90404, USA
Clin Infect Dis 35:S22-7. 2002..Two subspecies have been described for Fusobacterium necrophorum, and a new species, Fusobacterium equinum, which is related to F...
- A six-month audit of the isolation of Fusobacterium necrophorum from patients with sore throat in a district general hospitalJ A Amess
Department of Medical Microbiology, District General Hospital, Eastbourne, East Sussex, UK
Br J Biomed Sci 64:63-5. 2007b>Fusobacterium necrophorum is an obligate anaerobe believed to be a member of the normal flora of the human oropharangeal and urogenital tract...
- Fusobacterium necrophorum as the cause of recurrent sore throat: comparison of isolates from persistent sore throat syndrome and Lemierre's diseaseAntonia Batty
Department of Clinical Microbiology, University College London Hospitals, Windeyer Building of Medical Sciences, 46, Cleveland St, London W1T 4JF, UK
J Infect 51:299-306. 2005b>Fusobacterium necrophorum is a well established cause of Lemierre's disease (LD); a syndrome characterised by severe sore throat, septicaemia, multiple abscesses and jugular vein thrombosis...
- Fusobacterium necrophorum infections in England and Wales 1990-2000J S Brazier
Department of Medical Microbiology, University of Wales College of Medicine, Heath Park, Cardiff
J Med Microbiol 51:269-72. 2002In response to a marked increase in both the number of Fusobacterium necrophorum bacteraemia reports to the PHLS Communicable Disease Surveillance Centre and the number of F...
- A 12-year-old girl with pharyngitis, meningitis and sinovenous thrombosisJacob L Jaremko
University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alta
CMAJ 169:811-2. 2003
- [Septic thrombophlebitis of the internal jugular vein due to Fusobacterium necrophorum (Lemierre's syndrome): case report and review of literature]F Ianniello
, Presidio Ospedaliero di Dolo VE, Azienda Sanitaria Locale n 13, Riviera del Brenta
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 18:332-7. 1998..It is usually due to Fusobacterium necrophorum. Although Lemierre's syndrome is rare, it is potentially fatal...
- Cerebral infarct and meningitis secondary to Lemierre's syndromeJamie R Bentham
Department of Paediatrics, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, United Kingdom
Pediatr Neurol 30:281-3. 2004The case is reported of a young man with Fusobacterium necrophorum septicemia who developed cavernous sinus thrombosis, meningitis, carotid artery stenosis and stroke...
- Lemierre's syndrome associated with consumption coagulopathy and acute renal failure: a case reportS Georgopoulos
ENT Department, Elpis General Hospital, Athens, Greece
J Laryngol Otol 122:527-30. 2008..Respiratory deficiency and renal impairment are often reported in patients suffering from Lemierre's syndrome...
- Chron's disease, rare association with selective IgA immunodeficiency, and development of life-threatening bacterial infectionsRoberto Manfredi
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Bologna Alma Mater Studiorum, S Orsola Hospital, Bologna, Italy
Scand J Infect Dis 36:523-4. 2004Life-threatening necrotizing fasciitis and relapsing Lemierre syndrome associated with Fusobacterium necrophorum septicaemia occurred in young adults with a moderate Chron's disease and a missed profound IgA deficiency...
- A case of the otogenic variant of Lemierre's syndrome with atypical sequelae and a review of pediatric literatureTami Masterson
Department of Pediatrics, The Stollery Children s Hospital, Edmonton, Alta, Canada
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 69:117-22. 2005..The literature indicates that pediatric cases are a minority and enforces that successful management rests on awareness of the condition, vigil and promptness of communication of a multidisciplinary pediatric team...
- Lemierre syndrome: two cases and a reviewMohammed Iqbal Syed
Department of Otolaryngology, Royal Alexandra Hospital, Paisley, United Kingdom
Laryngoscope 117:1605-10. 2007..The usual organism is Fusobacterium necrophorum. Lemierre syndrome, not so long ago labeled as the "forgotten disease," is on the rise...
- Lemierre's syndrome: three cases and a reviewHans Dool
Department of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 262:651-4. 2005..The causative microorganism is most often Fusobacterium necrophorum. We present three patients with Lemierre's syndrome who presented to the Leiden University Medical ..
- Lemierre's syndrome: how a sore throat can end in disasterPetros D Karkos
Department of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Leighton Hospital, Crewe, UK
Eur J Emerg Med 11:228-30. 2004..We present a case report and review the literature...
- Cerebral infarctions and brain abscess due to Lemierre syndromeYoko Shibasaki Warabi
Department of Neurology, Niigata City General Hospital
Intern Med 44:653-6. 2005....
- [Sepsis caused by Fusobacterium necrophorum (Lemierre syndrome): a rare complication of acute pharyngotonsilitis]Marta Perović
Klinika za infektivne bolesti Dr Fran Mihaljević, Zagreb, Hrvatska
Acta Med Croatica 60:509-12. 2006..The patient was treated with clindamycin for five weeks and recovered completely...
- Lemierre syndrome complicated by cavernous sinus thrombosis, the development of subdural empyemas, and internal carotid artery narrowing without cerebral infarction. Case reportFranklin Westhout
Department of Neurosurgery, School of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, USA
J Neurosurg 106:53-6. 2007..Cultures of samples from the blood proved positive for the presence of Fusobacterium necrophorum. The patient underwent unilateral tonsillectomy, drainage of the peritonsillar abscess, and a ..
- Lemierre's syndrome and genetic polymorphisms: a case reportJean Michel Constantin
Adult Intensive Care Unit, Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, University Hospital of Clermont Ferrand, Hotel Dieu Hospital, F 63058 Clermont Ferrand, France
BMC Infect Dis 6:115. 2006..Lemierre's syndrome presents a classic clinical picture, the pathophysiology of which remains obscure. Attempts have been made to trace genetic predispositions that modify the host detection of pathogen or the resultant systemic reaction...
- Outcome of pulmonary function in Lemierre's disease-associated acute respiratory distress syndromeJill M Cholette
University of Rochester, Rochester, New York, USA
Pediatr Pulmonol 42:389-92. 2007..We describe convalescent pulmonary function in two survivors of Lemierre's disease-associated ARDS, suggesting that the subset of Lemierre's syndrome induced ARDS survivors have an excellent long-term pulmonary prognosis...
- Lemierre's--the sinister sore throatL M Brown
Department of ENT Surgery, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Brisbane, Australia
J Laryngol Otol 121:692-4. 2007..Discussed are aspects of clinical presentation, diagnosis and management issues...
- [Lemierre's syndrome and Mycoplasma pneumoniae]M Rivero Marcotegui
Servicio de Medicina Interna, Clinica Ubarmin, Elcano
An Med Interna 22:541-3. 2005..A 16-year-old girl with trombophlebitis of the left jugular vein, Fusobacterium necrophorum bacteremia and septic emboli in the lung requiring mechanical ventilation due to severe respiratory ..
- Lemierre's syndrome: an unusual manifestation of spinal infectionD Park
The Royal Hospital, Brockley Hill, London, England
J Bone Joint Surg Br 88:261-2. 2006..We report a case of Lemierre's syndrome complicated by an epidural abscess. This manifestation of Lemierre's syndrome has not been described previously...
- Lemierre's syndromeMing Yieh Peng
Division of Infectious Diseases and Tropical Medicine, Tri Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan
J Formos Med Assoc 104:764-7. 2005..Intravenous ceftriaxone and metronidazole were given empirically. Fusobacterium necrophorum was isolated from the blood culture with susceptibility to metronidazole...
- [The Lemierre syndrome: a complicated oropharyngeal infection]C Libeer
Acta Clin Belg 60:173-9. 2005..This syndrome is caused by the strictly anaerobic gram-negative pathogen Fusobacterium necrophorum, sometimes in combination with other pathogens...
- Lemierre syndrome: presentation of three casesPaul Hong
Faculty of Medicine, The University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario
J Otolaryngol 34:352-8. 2005
- [Lemierre's syndrome. An unusual variant]Lina Rosique López
Servicio de Otorrinolaringologia, Hospital Universitario Virgen de la Arrixaca, El Palmar, Murcia, Espana
Acta Otorrinolaringol Esp 58:217-8. 2007..In most cases the syndrome is caused by Fusobacterium necrophorum. This disease usually occurs in young healthy individuals with an oropharyngeal infection, implying high ..
- Lemierre's and Lemierre's-like syndromes in children: survival and thromboembolic outcomesNeil A Goldenberg
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, The Children s Hospital, Denver, Colorado, USA
Pediatrics 116:e543-8. 2005....
- Lemierre syndrome with jugular thrombophlebitis and cavitary pneumoniaF Deridder
Department of Radiology, Leiden University Hospital, Leiden, The Netherlands
JBR-BTR 88:128-9. 2005
- Lemierre syndrome: an all-but-forgotten diseaseWilliam T O'Brien
David Grant U S Air Force Medical Center Travis AFB, CA 94535, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 187:W324. 2006
- Lemierre's syndrome: a forgotten complication of oropharyngeal infectionShahid Ali Shah
Department of ENT, Head and Neck Surgery, Ayub Medical College, Abbottabad
J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad 17:30-3. 2005..b>Fusobacterium necrophorum is the usual etiologic agent. Lemierre's syndrome is not widely known by clinicians...
- Lemierre's syndrome: the controversy of anticoagulationK Sarah Hoehn
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Pediatrics 115:1415-6. 2005
- [Sore throat and a swollen neck: Lemierre's syndrome until proven otherwise]A J H M Fleskens
afd Chirurgie, Maxima Medisch Centrum, locatie Veldhoven, Postbus 7777, 5500 MB Veldhoven
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 150:2461-6. 2006..Spread of organisms may lead to sepsis and organ failure. The main pathogen is Fusobacterium necrophorum. Early recognition is essential, since prompt antibiotic treatment is usually effective...
- Images in clinical medicine. Lemierre's SyndromeClinton Lai
Cannock Chase Hospital, Cannock WS11 2XY, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 350:e14. 2004
- Lemierre's syndrome following infectious mononucleosisKatja Garimorth
Abteilung für Allgemeine Innere Medizin, Universitatsklinik fur Innere Medizin, Innsbruck, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 120:181-3. 2008..Cultures of pleural fluids were positive for Fusobacterium necrophorum. In addition to multiple organ dysfunction syndrome (acute lung injury, acute renal failure, ..
- A case of Lemierre's syndromeMarek Ma
University Hospital, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267 0769, USA
Eur J Emerg Med 10:139-42. 2003..Its incidence appears to be increasing. We present a case of Lemierre's syndrome, most notable for the patient's essentially benign physical examination and lack of clinical improvement with penicillin...
- [Diagnostic image (111). A dyspnoeic man with fever and a sore throat. Lemierre's syndrome]P L van Haelst
Academisch Ziekenhuis, afd Interne Geneeskunde, Intensive Care Beademing, Postbus 30 001, 9700 RB Groningen
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 146:2027. 2002..An 18-year-old man was admitted because of high fever, a sore throat and dyspnoea. Additional investigations revealed tonsillitis, lung abscesses and thrombophlebitis of the internal jugular vein. Lemierre's syndrome was diagnosed...
- [A throat infection with rapid deterioration]Ulf K Zätterstrøm
Øre nese hals avdelingen, Rikshospitalet 0027 Oslo
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 122:1896-9. 2002
- Lemierre's syndrome: an unusual cause of sepsis and abdominal painSarah Hoehn
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, and the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104 4399, USA
Crit Care Med 30:1644-7. 2002..To describe a patient with Lemierre's syndrome who presented with acute abdominal findings and to describe the evaluation and treatment of this syndrome...
- A critically ill young man with septic emboli to the lungsSteven T Dorsey
Department of Emergency Medicine, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
J Emerg Med 22:415-7. 2002
- Necrobacillosis--a resurgence?Andrea C Y Liu
Department of Paediatric Radiology, Southampton General Hospital, Southampton, UK
Clin Radiol 57:332-8. 2002Necrobacillosis is a rare life threatening illness caused by Fusobacterium necrophorum. It usually affects previously healthy adolescents and presents as symptomatic pharyngeal infection followed by bacteraemia and metastatic abscesses...
- Clinical problem solving: radiology. Radiology quiz case 2: Lemierre syndromeMark A Zacharek
Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 128:597-9. 2002
- A previously healthy 15-year-old girl with high fever and progressive dyspnoeaEveline van Delft
Paediatrics, Jeroen Bosch Hospital, s Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands
Eur J Pediatr 167:711-3. 2008..Computed tomography (CT) scan showed progressive infiltrates in both lungs and pleural effusion. Blood culture led to the diagnosis. After changing antibiotics the patient slowly improved. Antibiotics were continued for several weeks...
- Lemierre's syndromeA Singhal
Department of Surgery, Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, NY 10029-6574, USA
South Med J 94:886-7. 2001..7 degrees F to 104.0 degrees F. She had an upper respiratory infection and swelling of the left side of the neck. She was diagnosed with Lemierre's syndrome...
- [Lemierre syndrome: unusual, but still possible]Matthieu Monge
Service de Pneumologie et Unité de Réanimation Respiratoire, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, Amiens
Ann Med Interne (Paris) 154:263-6. 2003..The most frequent causal germ on blood cultures is Fusobacterium necrophorum but other anaerobial bacteries can be found...
- Lemierre's syndrome: a forgotten diseaseMichael Joseph Monteiro
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 46:324. 2008
- Serious consequences of a sore throatM G Clarke
Department of Intensive Care, Taunton and Somerset Hospital, Taunton, Somerset, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 85:242-4. 2003Lemierre's syndrome, caused by Fusobacterium necrophorum, is a potentially fatal sequelae of a sore throat characterised by septicaemia, internal jugular vein thrombophlebitis and metastatic abscesses...
- Lemierre's syndrome: a case reportMartin R Velez
Oral and Maxilofacial Surgery, Dwight D Eisenhower Army Medical Center, US Army DETAC, Fort Gordon, GA, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 61:968-71. 2003
- Hyperbaric oxygen (HBO2) in the treatment of Lemierre syndromeR Hodgson
Spectrum Health Wound Healing Program, Spectrum Health, Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Undersea Hyperb Med 30:87-91. 2003..Subsequent to invasion and thrombophlebitis of the internal jugular vein, Fusobacterium necrophorum septicemia occurs, with rigors, high fever, and septic thromboembolism to peripheral sites, especially ..
- [Lemierre's syndrome from necrotizing pneumonia treated with extracorporeal CO2 removal]V Blasco
Département d anesthésie et de réanimation, CHU de Nord, Chemin des Bourrely, 13915 Marseille Cedex 20, France
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 27:244-8. 2008..An extracorporeal CO(2) removal was then carried out for 34-days duration. The patient was weaned from mechanical ventilation on day 68. He was then transferred to the chest surgery unit on day 83...
- Critical care nurses be aware: Lemierre's syndrome is on the riseRoseanne Jane
Clinical Educator ICU, Gold Coast Hospital, QLD
Aust Crit Care 16:126-32. 2003..A case study of a young woman is presented to illustrate the complexity of the condition, and highlight how early diagnosis and prompt initiation of appropriate intravenous antibiotic therapy ensured a favourable clinical outcome...
- Lemierre's syndrome with septic shock caused by Fusobacterium necrophorumD Wang
Children s Hospital of Western Ontario, University of Western Ontario, Schulich School of Medicine, London, Ontario, Canada
Anaesth Intensive Care 35:796-801. 2007b>Fusobacterium necrophorum infections are rare. We report a 15-year-old male who presented with tachycardia, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea and ankle pain. He rapidly deteriorated requiring ventilation and vasopressors...
- Internal jugular vein thrombophlebitis secondary to oropharyngeal infection with Fusobacterium necrophorumM B Khakhar
Anaesthesia 59:302-3. 2004
- Lemierre's syndromeJohn Venglarcik
Northeastern Ohio Universities, College of Medicine and Tod Children s Hospital, Youngstown, Ohio, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 22:921-3. 2003
- [A case of Lemierre syndrome]Mitsutoshi Hayashi
Department of Internal Medicine, Tokyo Women s Medical University, Daini Hospital, 2 1 10 Nishiogu, Arakawa ku, Tokyo, Japan, 116 8567
Nihon Kokyuki Gakkai Zasshi 41:651-4. 2003..Although Lemierre syndrome is a relatively uncommon disease with the potentially life-threatening complication of acute pharyngotonsillitis, this syndrome should be considered in cases of severe tonsillitis or pharyngitis...
- Clinical and bacteriological aspects on the use of oxytetracycline and flunixin in primiparous cows with induced retained placenta and post-partal endometritisK Konigsson
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Centre for Reproductive Biology in Uppsala, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, SLU
Reprod Domest Anim 36:247-56. 2001..The predominant bacteria were Escherichia coli alpha-haemolytic streptococci, Fusobacterium necrophorum, Arcanobacterium (Actinomyces) pyogenes, Bacteroides spp., Pasteurella spp. and Proteus spp...
- In vitro activity of gemifloxacin (SB 265805) against anaerobesE J Goldstein
R M Alden Research Laboratory, Santa Monica University of California at Los Angeles Medical Center, Santa Monica, California 90404, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 43:2231-5. 1999..06; for Clostridium ramosum (14), 0.25 and 8; for Fusobacterium nucleatum (12), 0.125 and 0.25; for Fusobacterium necrophorum (11), 0.25 and 0.5; for Fusobacterium varium (13), 0.5 and 1; for Fusobacterium spp...
- Activities of gemifloxacin (SB 265805, LB20304) compared to those of other oral antimicrobial agents against unusual anaerobesE J Goldstein
The R M Alden Research Laboratory, Santa Monica UCLA Medical Center, Santa Monica, California 90404, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 43:2726-30. 1999..Fusobacterium naviforme and Fusobacterium necrophorum were also susceptible to </=2 microgram of gemifloxacin per ml, while Fusobacterium varium strains ..
- Effects of adding polyclonal antibody preparations on ruminal fermentation patterns and digestibility of cows fed different energy sourcesC T Marino
Department of Animal Breeding and Nutrition, São Paulo State University FMVZ UNESP, Botucatu, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Anim Sci 89:3228-35. 2011..polyclonal antibody preparation (PAP-MV) against the specific ruminal bacteria Streptococcus bovis, Fusobacterium necrophorum, Clostridium aminophilum, Peptostreptococcus anaerobius, and Clostridium sticklandii and monensin (MON) ..
- Rapid identification of non-sporing anaerobes using nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy and an identification strategyS Menon
Department of Microbiology, Grant Medical College and Sir J J Hospital, Mumbai 400 008, Maharashatra, India
Indian J Med Microbiol 25:330-5. 2007....
- Ammonia-hyperproducing bacteria from New Zealand ruminantsG T Attwood
AgResearch, Grasslands Research Centre, Palmerston North, New Zealand
Appl Environ Microbiol 64:1796-804. 1998..genus Peptostreptococcus, that D4 and D5 belonged to the family Bacteroidaceae, where D4 was similar to Fusobacterium necrophorum; and that C2 was most similar to an unidentified species from the genus Eubacterium...
- Effects of supplemental fat source on nutrient digestion and ruminal fermentation in steersS P Montgomery
Department of Animal Sciences and Industry, Kansas State University, Manhattan 66506 1600, USA
J Anim Sci 86:640-50. 2008..Fat supplementation increased (P < 0.09) ruminal concentrations of Fusobacterium necrophorum. Duodenal flow of C18:3n-3 was greater (P < 0...
- Bacterial isolates associated with dystocia and retained placenta in iraqi buffaloesO I Azawi
Department of Surgery and Obstetrics, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Mosul, Mosul, Iraq
Reprod Domest Anim 43:286-92. 2008..Among the isolates, Archanobacterium pyogenes, Fusobacterium necrophorum, Prevotella melaninogenicus and Staphylococcus aureus were the most prevalent isolates after 48 h of RP ..
- Fusobacterial brain abscess: a review of five cases and an analysis of possible pathogenesisXiang Y Han
Department of Laboratory Medicine, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Neurosurg 99:693-700. 2003..The cases of five patients with fusobacterial brain abscess are presented. The authors discuss their attempt to determine the pathogenesis...
- [Clinical evaluation of lung abscess diagnosed by transtracheal aspiration]M Konishi
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Nara Medical University
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 72:1193-6. 1998..Streptococcus pneumoniae, Streptococcus intermedius and other in aerobes, and Peptostreptococcus micros, Fusobacterium necrophorum, Prevotella melaninogenica and others in anaerobes...
- Susceptibilities of bovine summer mastitis bacteria to antimicrobial agentsH Jousimies-Somer
Anaerobe Reference Laboratory, National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 40:157-60. 1996..acidominimus isolates, 2 Streptococcus spp., 15 Peptostreptococcus indolicus isolates, 10 Fusobacterium necrophorum isolates, and 12 isolates of anaerobic gram-negative rods) was determined by the agar dilution method...
- Fusobacterium nucleatum increases collagenase 3 production and migration of epithelial cellsVeli Jukka Uitto
University of Helsinki, Institute of Dentistry, PL 41, FIN 00014 University of Helsinki, Finland
Infect Immun 73:1171-9. 2005..Of the 13 anaerobic oral bacterial species, F. nucleatum and Fusobacterium necrophorum were among the best inducers of collagenase 3 mRNA levels, a powerful matrix metalloproteinase...
- The effect of statherin and its shortened analogues on anaerobic bacteria isolated from the oral cavityB Kochanska
Department of Conservative Dentistry, Medical University of Gdansk, Poland
Acta Microbiol Pol 49:243-51. 2000..5 mg/ml), whereas the most susceptible to the peptides investigated were Fusobacterium necrogenes and Fusobacterium necrophorum strains: QYQQYTF, YQQYTF, QQYTF, QYTF (MIC < or = 12.5 microg/ml)...
- Severe musculoskeletal infection variant in Lemierre's syndromeJoshua D Harris
Ohio State University Medical Center Department of Orthopedics, Division of Sports Medicine, Columbus, OH 43221 3502, USA joshua harris osumc edu
Orthopedics 33:774. 2010Lemierre's syndrome is a severe complication of Fusobacterium necrophorum oropharyngeal infection associated with metastatic foci of infection, internal jugular vein thrombosis, and septicemia...
- Infection by Panton-Valentine leukocidin-producing Staphylococcus aureus clinically mimicking Lemierre's syndromeGirish H Shivashankar
Erne Hospital, Enniskillen, Fermanagh BT74 6AY, UK
J Med Microbiol 57:118-20. 2008..It is usually caused by Fusobacterium necrophorum, a Gram-negative obligate anaerobe...
- Necrobacillosis in humansGunnar Dahlen
Department of Oral Microbiology and Immunology, Institute of Odontology, Sahlgrenska Academy at University of Gothenburg, PO Box 450, SE 405 30 Gothenburg, Sweden
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 9:227-36. 2011..in the peritonsillar area associated with a thrombophlebitis and caused by the strict anaerobic species Fusobacterium necrophorum. The thrombosis formed affects the internal jugular vein, from which the bacteria are seeded out in the ..
- Clinical, bacteriological, and histopathological study of toxic puerperal metritis in Iraqi buffaloO I Azawi
Department of Surgery and Obstetrics, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Mosul, Mosul, Iraq
J Dairy Sci 90:4654-60. 2007..bacteria in uterine lumen were Escherichia coli, Arcanobacterium pyogenes, Staphylococcus aureus, and Fusobacterium necrophorum (18.5, 16.7, 13.0, and 9.3%, respectively)...
- Review of the in vitro activity of gemifloxacin against gram-positive and gram-negative anaerobic pathogensE J Goldstein
R M Alden Research Laboratory, Santa Monica UCLA Medical Center, Santa Monica, CA 90494, USA
J Antimicrob Chemother 45:55-65. 2000..and fusobacteria (Fusobacterium nucleatum, Fusobacterium necrophorum) and moderate but variable potency against Gram-negative anaerobes...
- Impact of systemic antimicrobials combined with anti-infective mechanical debridement on the microbiota of generalized aggressive periodontitis: a 6-month RCTDébora Heller
Division of Graduate Periodontics, School of Dentistry, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro RJ, Brazil
J Clin Periodontol 38:355-64. 2011..To compare the effects of systemic amoxicillin (AMX) plus metronidazole (MET) or placebos combined with anti-infective mechanical debridement on the sub-gingival microbiota of generalized aggressive periodontitis (GAP)...
- Some morphological, biochemical and immunological blood parameters in European bison with or without lesions in the digestive, respiratory, urinary and reproductive tractsK Anusz
Department of Food Hygiene and Public Health, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Warsaw Agricultural University, Nowoursynowska 159, 02 776 Warsaw, Poland
Pol J Vet Sci 10:137-42. 2007..Bacillus spp., Fusobacterium necrophorum, Staphylococcus spp. (coagulase negative) and Staphylococcus hyicus)...
- Clinical spectrum of bacteraemic Fusobacterium infections: from septic shock to nosocomial bacteraemiaElina Nohrström
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Haartmaninkatu, Helsinki, Finland
Scand J Infect Dis 43:463-70. 2011..Fusobacterium species are anaerobic bacteria that relatively rarely cause sepsis with a variable clinical presentation...
- Liver abscess caused by periodontal bacterial infection with Fusobacterium necrophorumMasato Yoneda
Division of Gastroenterology Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Yokohama City University Graduate School of Medicine, Yokohama Department of Pharmacology, Osaka University, Graduate School of Dentistry, Suita, Osaka, Japan
Hepatol Res 41:194-6. 2011..Here, we report a case of liver abscess associated with periodontal bacterial infection by Fusobacterium necrophorum, which is commonly found in the oropharyngeal flora...
- CHARACTERIZATION OF VIRULENCE FACTORS OF F. NECROPHORUMHENRY BJORNSON; Fiscal Year: 1980..To isolate and chemically characterize the hemolytic, leukocidal, and lethal factor or factors from Fusobacterium necrophorum K4 culture supernatants. 2. To determine if the hemolytic, leukocidal, and lethal factors in the F...
- Measuring Quality - The Impact of Patient ComplexityRobert Centor; Fiscal Year: 2007..Finally, we hope to present an economical research agenda to the research community and AHRQ at the national meeting. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Clinical Investigation in Pediatric ThrombosisNeil Goldenberg; Fiscal Year: 2007..Additionally, translational studies will seek to identify novel candidate protein risk factors and prognostic markers for venous thrombosis in children. ..
- Clinical Investigation in Pediatric ThrombosisNeil Goldenberg; Fiscal Year: 2008..Additionally, translational studies will seek to identify novel candidate protein risk factors and prognostic markers for venous thrombosis in children. ..