Summary: The cause of TETANUS in humans and domestic animals. It is a common inhabitant of human and horse intestines as well as soil. Two components make up its potent exotoxin activity, a neurotoxin and a hemolytic toxin.
Publications160 found, 100 shown here
- Tetanus IgG antibody levels in children aged 12 to 47 months in TurkeyR C Yildirim
Kirikkale University Medical School, Public Health Department, Ankara, Turkey
Am J Infect Control 29:120-3. 2001..Further, it is a must in developing countries where vaccination efforts are hindered by cold-chain problems, underoptimum application practice, and high prevalence of concomitant infections...
- Current concepts in the management of Clostridium tetani infectionItzhak Brook
Georgetown University School of Medicine, 4431 Albemarle Street NW, Washington, DC 20016, USA
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 6:327-36. 2008..Tetanus is an acute toxemic illness caused by Clostridium tetani infection at a laceration or break in the skin...
- BotR/A and TetR are alternative RNA polymerase sigma factors controlling the expression of the neurotoxin and associated protein genes in Clostridium botulinum type A and Clostridium tetaniStephanie Raffestin
Institut Pasteur, Unité des Bactéries anaérobies et Toxines, 25 28 rue du Dr Roux 75724, Paris Cedex 15, France
Mol Microbiol 55:235-49. 2005Clostridium botulinum and Clostridium tetani, respectively, produce potent toxins, botulinum neurotoxin (BoNT) and tetanus neurotoxin (TeTx), which are responsible for severe diseases, botulism and tetanus...
- TetR is a positive regulator of the tetanus toxin gene in Clostridium tetani and is homologous to botRJ C Marvaud
Unité des Toxines Microbiennes, Institut Pasteur, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Infect Immun 66:5698-702. 1998..This supports that TetR positively regulates the TeTx gene in C. tetani and that a conserved mechanism of regulation of the neurotoxin genes is involved in C. tetani and C. botulinum...
- Microbiologic characterization and antimicrobial susceptibility of Clostridium tetani isolated from wounds of patients with clinically diagnosed tetanusJames I Campbell
Oxford University Clinical Research Unit, Hospital for Tropical Diseases, Ho Chi Minh City, Viet Nam
Am J Trop Med Hyg 80:827-31. 2009b>Clostridium tetani is the etiologic agent of the muscle-spasming disease tetanus. Despite an effective vaccine, tetanus is an ongoing problem in some developing countries...
- Tetanus in injecting drug users, United KingdomSusan J M Hahné
Emerg Infect Dis 12:709-10. 2006
- A decade of spore-forming bacterial infections among European injecting drug users: pronounced regional variationVivian D Hope
Health Protection Services, Health Protection Agency, London, UK
Am J Public Health 102:122-5. 2012..Six countries reported 367 cases; rates varied from 0.03 to 7.54 per million people. Most cases (92%) were reported from 3 neighboring countries: Ireland, Norway, and the United Kingdom. This geographic variation needs investigation...
- Oral immunogenicity of tomato-derived sDPT polypeptide containing Corynebacterium diphtheriae, Bordetella pertussis and Clostridium tetani exotoxin epitopesRuth E Soria-Guerra
División de Biologia Molecular, IPICYT, Camino a la Presa San Jose 2055, 78216 San Luis Potosi, Mexico
Plant Cell Rep 30:417-24. 2011..These findings support the concept of using transgenic tomatoes expressing sDPT polypeptide as model for edible vaccine against diphtheria, pertussis, and tetanus...
- Characterization of a heme oxygenase of Clostridium tetani and its possible role in oxygen toleranceHolger Bruggemann
Göttingen Genomics Laboratory, Institute of Microbiology and Genetics, Georg August University Gottingen, Grisebachstrasse 8, 37077 Gottingen, Germany
Arch Microbiol 182:259-63. 2004In order to colonize mammalian wounds, the anaerobic bacterium Clostridium tetani must presumably cope with temporary oxic conditions...
- Immunization against Clostridium perfringens cells elicits protection against Clostridium tetani in mouse model: identification of cross-reactive proteins using proteomic methodologiesSyed Imteyaz Alam
Biotechnology Division, Defence Research and Development Establishment, Gwalior, India
BMC Microbiol 8:194. 2008b>Clostridium tetani and Clostridium perfringens are among the medically important clostridial pathogens causing diseases in man and animals...
- Management and prevention of tetanusRichard F Edlich
Plastic Surgical Research Program, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
J Long Term Eff Med Implants 13:139-54. 2003..Because there is essentially no immunity to tetanus toxoid, the only effective way to control tetanus is by prophylactic immunization...
- Community-based seroepidemiology of tetanus in three selected provinces in TurkeyDemet Kurtoglu
Communicable Diseases Research Directorate, Refik Saydam National Hygiene Center, Ankara 06100, Turkey
Jpn J Infect Dis 57:10-6. 2004....
- The genome sequence of Clostridium tetani, the causative agent of tetanus diseaseHolger Bruggemann
Göttingen Genomics Laboratory and Department of General Microbiology, Institute of Microbiology and Genetics, Georg August University, Grisebachstrasse 8, D 37077 Gottingen, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:1316-21. 2003..The causative agent of tetanus disease is Clostridium tetani, an anaerobic spore-forming bacterium, whose natural habitat is soil, dust, and intestinal tracts of various ..
- Biochemical characterization of the catalytic domains of three different Clostridial collagenasesUlrich Eckhard
Division of Structural Biology, Department of Molecular Biology, University of Salzburg, Billrothstrasse 11, A 5020 Salzburg, Austria
Biol Chem 390:11-8. 2009..These observations have consequences with respect to the topology of the N-terminus relative to the active site as well as possible activation mechanisms...
- Tetanus antitoxin levels among adults over 40 years of age in Central Anatolia, TurkeyA Ozturk
Erciyes Universitesi Tip, Fakültesi Halk Sagligi Anabilim Dali, Kayseri, Turkey
Clin Microbiol Infect 9:33-8. 2003..To determine tetanus antitoxin levels in adults and the aged...
- [Generalized tetanus in a teenager]F V Valla
Service de Réanimation Pédiatrique, Hopital Debrousse, CHU de Lyon, 29 rue Soeur Bouvier, 69005 Lyon, France
Arch Pediatr 14:362-4. 2007..Tetanus has become an exceptional disease in industrialized countries since vaccination...
- Analysis of the case fatality rate of tetanus among adults in a tertiary hospital in TurkeyO Ergonul
Ankara Numune Training and Research Hospital, Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology Clinic, Ankara, Turkey
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 22:188-90. 2003..This suggests a need for adult vaccination programs and/or a plan to educate the public to recognize symptoms early and then rapidly seek medical care...
- Tetanus seroprevalence among farmers: a preliminary studyMary S Hayney
Pharmacy Practice Division, University of Wisconsin School of Pharmacy, Madison 53705, USA
J Rural Health 19:109-12. 2003..We hypothesized that tetanus antibody concentrations would be lower in farmers than in nonfarmers within the rural population...
- By the way, doctor. My doctor told me I'm overdue for a tetanus booster. I'm 60, and I wonder if it's really necessary at my age. Can't I just get one if I get a deep cut?Celeste Robb-Nicholson
Harvard Medical School
Harv Womens Health Watch 11:8. 2004
- Critical prevalence of antibodies minimizing vaccination costs for hepatitis A, hepatitis B, varicella, measles and tetanus in adults and adolescents in Catalonia, SpainPedro Plans-Rubió
Department of Health, General Direction of Public Health, Travessera de les Corts 131 159, 08028 Barcelona, Spain
Vaccine 22:4002-13. 2004..Vaccination strategies based on the critical prevalence of antibodies could maximize the immunity level in the community from available resources...
- Determination of tetanus antibodies by a double-antigen enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay in individuals of various age groupsK Caglar
Department of Medical Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Gazi University, 06500 Besevler, Ankara, Turkey
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 24:523-8. 2005..Preventive measures against tetanus should therefore focus on scheduled booster immunization for adults as well as children...
- [Immunologic tests: Clostridium tetani]Motohide Takahashi
Department of Bacterial Pathogenesis and Infection Control, National Institute of Infectious Diseases
Nihon Rinsho 63:206-9. 2005
- Immunity to tetanus of a rural population in a Greek countyE Mendrinou
Department of Microbiology, St Andrew Hospital
New Microbiol 27:187-9. 2004..In each sample, we estimated IgG antibodies against Clostridium tetani toxin. A protection level of 0.1 IU/ml was set. 15...
- Ulcerated rhabdomyosarcoma as portal of entry for tetanus in a previously nonimmunized childVicente Odone-Filho
Instituto de Tratamento do Câncer Infantil, Instituto da Criança, Departamento de Pediatria da Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade de São Paulo, 05403 900 Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 27:227-8. 2005..Due to an unfavorable evolution, the child underwent a hip disarticulation to provide tetanus control. The ulterior tumor management was successful: the child has been off therapy for more than 108 months with no evidence of disease...
- Improvement in laboratory diagnosis of wound botulism and tetanus among injecting illicit-drug users by use of real-time PCR assays for neurotoxin gene fragmentsD Akbulut
Food Safety Microbiology Laboratory, Health Protection Agency Centre for Infections, London, UK
J Clin Microbiol 43:4342-8. 2005An upsurge in wound infections due to Clostridium botulinum and Clostridium tetani among users of illegal injected drugs (IDUs) occurred in the United Kingdom during 2003 and 2004...
- Antibody response to diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis immunization in preterm infants who receive dexamethasone for chronic lung diseaseMichael J Robinson
Neonatal Department, Hope Hospital, Salford, United Kingdom
Pediatrics 113:733-7. 2004..To study the effect of dexamethasone in preterm infants with chronic lung disease (CLD) on antibody response to routine immunization against diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis (DTP)...
- Tetanus immunity after diphtheria, tetanus toxoids, and acellular pertussis vaccination in children with clinically stable HIV infectionHoward M Rosenblatt
Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 116:698-703. 2005..HIV infection often impairs the immune response to childhood vaccines...
- Impaired immunity against tetanus in type 2 diabetesAli Tamer
Department of Internal Medicine, Izzet Baysal Medical School, Bolu, Turkey
Med Sci Monit 11:CR580-4. 2005..The aim of this study was to compare serum levels of tetanus antibody in diabetic patients over 50 years of age with those of age- and sex-matched non-diabetic controls...
- Protection against tetanus in the aged people in the Czech Republic--cross-sectional studyVladimir Janout
Department of Preventive Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Palacky University Olomouc, Hnevotinska 3, 775 15 Olomouc, Czech Republic
Arch Gerontol Geriatr 40:123-8. 2005....
- Tetanus complicating snakebite in northern Nigeria: clinical presentation and public health implicationsA G Habib
Ahmadu Bello University Hospital, Zaria, Nigeria
Acta Trop 85:87-91. 2003..Snakebite is not uncommon and partly because of lack of effective antivenom, management in inaccessible areas could be complicated with tetanus in unimmunized victims...
- What is your diagnosis? Localised tetanus in a catR M Baral
Paddington Cat Hospital, 183 Glenmore Road, Paddington, NSW, 2021, Australia
J Feline Med Surg 4:221-4. 2002
- The seroepidemiology of tetanus in Catalonia, SpainA Dominguez
General Directorate of Public Health, Generalitat of Catalonia, Barcelona, Spain
Med Microbiol Immunol 196:115-9. 2007..9%) (P < 0.001). These results show that routine vaccination of children is successful. In adults aged > or = 45 years, the prevalence is inadequate and efforts should be made to increase vaccination...
- Coxofemoral luxation in a border collie as a complication of a Clostridium tetani infectionM A Goldhammer
Royal Dick School of Veterinary Studies, University of Edinburgh, Hospital for Small Animals, Easter Bush Veterinary Centre, Roslin, Midlothian EH25 9RG, UK
J Small Anim Pract 49:159-62. 2008..Coxofemoral luxation resulted as a complication of the tetanus and was successfully managed by performing a femoral head and neck excision. This is the first report of joint luxation associated with Clostridium tetani infection in a dog.
- Insufficient tetanus vaccination status in patients with chronic leg ulcers. Results of a prospective investigation in 100 patientsA Korber
Dermatology Clinic and Outpatient Clinic, University Duisburg Essen, Essen, Germany
Dermatology 217:69-73. 2008Tetanus disease is caused by Clostridium tetani and is one of the most common infectious diseases worldwide...
- Prevalence of diphtheria and tetanus antibodies and circulation of Corynebacterium diphtheriae in São Paulo, BrazilK G Divino-Goes
Departamento de Pediatria, Escola Paulista de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 40:1681-7. 2007..8%) were carriers of C. diphtheriae, all non-toxigenic strains. The present results demonstrate the clear need of periodic booster for tetanus and diphtheria vaccine in adolescents and adults after primary immunization in childhood...
- Dysphagia in elderly women: consider tetanusA Rauch
Clinic and Policlinic for Infectious Diseases, University Hospital, Inselspital, Bern, Switzerland
Infection 34:35-8. 2006..In Switzerland, the most recently reported tetanus cases occurred in elderly women with insufficient seroprotection...
- Video NeuroImage: Generalized tetanus in a 70-year-old womanG M De Marchis
Ospedale Regionale di Locarno La Carità, 6600 Locarno, Switzerland
Neurology 70:e70. 2008
- Antitetanus toxoid antibody titer of chronic hemodialysis patients in IranMohammad Mahdi Sagheb
Department of Internal Medicine, Shiraz University of Medical Science, Shiraz, Iran
Iran J Immunol 5:45-50. 2008..Patients with end stage renal disease have higher incidence of infection diseases that is thought to be related to impaired immune system...
- Protection against tetanus by needle-free inoculation of adenovirus-vectored nasal and epicutaneous vaccinesZ Shi
Vaxin, Inc, USA
J Virol 75:11474-82. 2001..Here we show that a protective immune response against live Clostridium tetani infection in mice can be elicited by an adenovirus vector encoding the tetanus toxin C fragment when ..
- The role of cell population kinetics in the efficacy of penicillin--an experimental analysis and stochastic modeling of the tumour tetanus and wound tetanus of the mouseU Schneeweiss
Central Institute of Cancer Research, Academy of Sciences of the GDR
Zentralbl Bakteriol Mikrobiol Hyg A 266:506-21. 1987....
- Prevalence of tetanus immunity in the Egyptian populationel Rashdy M Redwan
Protein Research Department, GEBRI, Mubarak City for Scientific Research and Biotechnology Application, New Borg EL Arab, Alexandria, Egypt
Hum Antibodies 11:55-9. 2002..3% Significantly, more males (23.7%) unprotected against tetanus. Our results suggest that monitoring immunization status and administering the tetanus vaccine as required are essential to insure adequate and long-lasting antibody levels...
- [Tetanus immunity in the elderly in the Czech Republic]I Matouskova
Epidemiol Mikrobiol Imunol 56:10-3. 2007..The sporadic incidence of tetanus cases in the Czech Republic over the last 15 years indirectly indicates the efficacy of the immunization strategy used...
- Pharmacotherapy of tetanus--a reviewVenu Gopal Reddy
Department of Anaesthesia and ICU, College of Medicine, Sultan Qaboos University, P O Box 35, PC 123 SQU, Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Middle East J Anaesthesiol 16:419-42. 2002With adequate immunization, tetanus caused by the gram-positive anaerobic cocci, clostridium tetani, is a preventable disease. In treating C...
- Neonatal tetanus--report of a caseMilena Ilic
Department of Epidemiology, University of Kragujevac Faculty of Medicine, Serbia
Turk J Pediatr 52:404-8. 2010Neonatal tetanus is a severe, often fatal disease caused by the toxin Clostridium tetani. Neonatal tetanus is a generalized tetanus, which occurs in a neonate between 3-28 days of life...
- The genome BLASTatlas-a GeneWiz extension for visualization of whole-genome homologyPeter F Hallin
Center for Biological Sequence Analysis, Department of Systems Biology, The Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby, Denmark
Mol Biosyst 4:363-71. 2008..We provide examples of BLASTatlases, including the Clostridium tetani plasmid p88, where homologues for toxin genes can be easily visualized in other sequenced Clostridium ..
- Cephalic tetanus from penetrating orbital woundEloïse Guyennet
Department of Ophthalmology, CHU Pontchaillou, rue Henri Le Guilloux, 35000 Rennes, France
Case Report Med 2009:548343. 2009Tetanus is a neurologic disorder caused by tetanospasmin, a protein toxin elaborated by Clostridium tetani. Cephalic tetanus is a localized form of the disease causing trismus and dysfunction of cranial nerves...
- Preliminary study of mucosal IgA in the equine small intestine: specific IgA in cases of acute grass sickness and controlsF G Nunn
Medical Microbiology, Centre for Infectious Diseases, University of Edinburgh College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine, The Chancellor s Building, 49 Little France Crescent, Edinburgh EH16 4SB, UAE
Equine Vet J 39:457-60. 2007..Specific mucosal antibodies in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract are likely to be important in protection, and this study was performed to ascertain if such antibodies could be detected and if their levels were related to disease state...
- Tetanus in a parenteral drug abuser: report of a caseM P Francois
Department of Medicine, Harlem Hospital Center, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York
J Natl Med Assoc 86:223-5. 1994Tetanus is an infection caused by Clostridium tetani. In the United States, tetanus remains a significant problem primarily among nonimmunized or inadequately immunized individuals...
- Outbreak of necrotizing fasciitis due to Clostridium sordellii among black-tar heroin usersAkiko C Kimura
Division of Communicable Disease Control, California Department of Health Services, Gardena, California 90248, USA
Clin Infect Dis 38:e87-91. 2004..has resulted in an increased number of cases of wound botulism due to Clostridium botulinum, tetanus due to Clostridium tetani, and necrotizing soft-tissue infections due to a variety of clostridia...
- Transgenic tomatoes express an antigenic polypeptide containing epitopes of the diphtheria, pertussis and tetanus exotoxins, encoded by a synthetic geneRuth Elena Soria-Guerra
División de Biologia Molecular, Instituto Potosino de Investigacion Cientifica y Tecnologica, Camino a la Presa San Jose 2055, 78216 San Luis Potosi, S L P, Mexico
Plant Cell Rep 26:961-8. 2007..often fatal diseases due to the exotoxins produced by Corynebacterium diphteriae, Bordetella pertussis and Clostridium tetani. We are attempting to develop an edible DPT multicomponent vaccine in plants, based on the fusion of ..
- Recently occurring adult tetanus in Korea: emphasis on immunization and awareness of tetanusDong Hyeon Shin
Department of Internal Medicine, Chonnam National University, Medical School, 8 Hak Dong, Dong Gu, Gwangju 501 757, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 18:11-6. 2003..the female who may have a lower immunity against tetanus, and the farmers who are likely to be exposed to Clostridium tetani. In addition, diagnosis of tetanus is often delayed in area where cases are seen infrequently...
- Phylogenetic positions of Clostridium chauvoei and Clostridium septicum based on 16S rRNA gene sequencesP Kuhnert
Institute of Veterinary Bacteriology, University of Bern, Switzerland
Int J Syst Bacteriol 46:1174-6. 1996..Bacteriol. 44:812-826, 1994), which includes Clostridium carnis, Clostridium perfringens, Clostridium botulinum, and Clostridium tetani. We found that 99.3% of the nucleotides in the genes of C. chauvoei and C. septicum are identical.
- Generation of plant-derived recombinant DTP subunit vaccineR Brodzik
Biotechnology Foundation Laboratories at Thomas Jefferson University, 1020 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Vaccine 27:3730-4. 2009..DTP) pediatric vaccine is produced from the corresponding pathogenic bacteria Corynebacterium diphtheriae, Clostridium tetani and Bordetella pertussis; five injected doses of DTaP (acellular) vaccine are required for every child in ..
- Comparative genomic analysis of a neurotoxigenic Clostridium species using partial genome sequence: Phylogenetic analysis of a few conserved proteins involved in cellular processes and metabolismSyed Imteyaz Alam
Biotechnology Division, Defence Research and Development Establishment, Gwalior 474002, India
Anaerobe 16:147-54. 2010..b>Clostridium tetani produces tetanus neurotoxin and is responsible for the fatal tetanus disease...
- Treatment principles in the management of open fracturesWilliam W Cross
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Minnesota Medical School, 2450 Riverside Ave, Ste R 200, Minneapolis, MN 55454, USA
Indian J Orthop 42:377-86. 2008..All open fractures should be addressed for the risk of contamination from Clostridium tetani. When possible, early closure of open fracture wounds, either by primary means or by flaps, can also ..
- [Tetanus in the geriatric population: is it a collective health problem?]L M Pagliuca
Universidade Federal do Ceara
Rev Lat Am Enfermagem 9:69-75. 2001Tetanus is an infectious non-contagious disease caused by the bacillus Clostridium tetani, which penetrates in the organism through wounds...
- Transcription activation of a UV-inducible Clostridium perfringens bacteriocin gene by a novel sigma factorBruno Dupuy
Unite de Genetique Moleculaire Bacterienne, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Mol Microbiol 55:1196-206. 2005..UviA is related to a special class of sigma factors found to date only in Clostridium species and responsible for activating transcription of toxin genes in Clostridium difficile, Clostridium tetani, and Clostridium botulinum.
- A case of clinical tetanus in a patient with protective antitetanus antibody levelAlvaro Beltran
South Med J 100:83. 2007
- Persistence of antibodies against tetanus upon revaccinationI Matouskova
Department of Preventive Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Palacky University, Olomouc, Czech Republic
Cent Eur J Public Health 13:99-102. 2005..This finding together with a favorable epidemiological situation as regards the occurrence of tetanus could eventually enable to prolong the interval for revaccinating adults in the Czech Republic...
- [Inclusion of a rapid test in the current Health Ministry Guidelines with the purpose of improving anti-tetanus prophylaxis prescribed to wounded patients presenting at French Emergency Departments]D Elkharrat
Service SAU adultes, Hopital Ambroise Pare, 9 avenue Charles de Gaulle, 92100 Boulogne Billancourt, France
Med Mal Infect 35:323-8. 2005
- Phylogenomic analyses of clostridia and identification of novel protein signatures that are specific to the genus Clostridium sensu stricto (cluster I)Radhey S Gupta
Department of Biochemistry and Biomedical Science, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario L8N 3Z5, Canada
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 59:285-94. 2009..blastp searches on various proteins in the genomes of Clostridium tetani E88 and Clostridium perfringens SM101 have also identified more than 10 proteins that are found uniquely in ..
- A case of neonatal tetanus presented within 24 hours of lifeSayan Chatterjee
Medinipur Medical College and Hospital, Medinipur, West Bengal, India
Trop Doct 43:43-5. 2013..An ulcer gradually enlarged to 5 × 4 cm and a swab from ulcer showed Clostridium tetani (both on Gram staining and culture)...
- Tetanus prophylaxis for diabetic foot ulcersLee C Rogers
Saint Vincent Catholic Medical Centers, 152 11 89 th Avenue, New York, NY 11432, USA
Clin Podiatr Med Surg 23:769-75, vii-i. 2006The infected or ulcerated diabetic foot is a suitable environment for Clostridium tetani. Tetanus intoxication as a result of foot ulcer has been described in the literature...
- [Immunoenzimatic detection of the Clostridium tetani bacterial toxin: an alternative to mice bioassays]Fernando Chaves
Facultad de Microbiologia, Universidad de Costa Rica, San Jose, Costa Rica
Rev Biol Trop 54:253-6. 2006Cell-free extracts from 20 strains of Clostridium tetani isolated from soil samples, were tested for tetanus toxin production using an enzyme immunoassay...
- Regulation of toxin and bacteriocin gene expression in Clostridium by interchangeable RNA polymerase sigma factorsBruno Dupuy
Unite de Genetique Moleculaire Bacterienne, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Mol Microbiol 60:1044-57. 2006The production of major extracellular toxins by pathogenic strains of Clostridium botulinum, Clostridium tetani and Clostridium difficile, and a bacteriocin by Clostridium perfringens is dependent on a related group of RNA polymerase ..
- Tetanus in a subcutaneous drug abuser: ineffectiveness of intrathecal baclofenR M Thomas
Intensive Care Unit, St James s University Hospital, Leeds, United Kingdom
Anaesth Intensive Care 34:811-5. 2006..The current strategies involved in treating tetanus are discussed...
- [Serological study carried out in Cambodia during a tetanus vaccination in adults]M Schlumberger
Unit4 INSERM U618 protéases et vectorisation pulmonaires, Equipe vecteurs, virus et vaccins, Faculté de pharmacie Philippe Maupas, 31 avenue Gaspard Monge, 37200 Tours, France
Bull Soc Pathol Exot 101:36-42. 2008..Excluding vaccination in at-risk population for such a study would be however ethically unacceptable...
- Therapy and epidemiology of autism--clostridial spores as key elementsSydney M Finegold
Infectious Diseases Section 111 F, VA Medical Center West Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90073, United States
Med Hypotheses 70:508-11. 2008..These latter two hypotheses have major implications with regard to the epidemiology of this important and distressing disease and would encourage research into methods to eliminate clostridial spores from the home and other environments...
- An immunohistochemical study on a tetanus fatal case using toxin fragment C (TTC). Should it be a useful diagnostic tool?Emanuela Turillazzi
Department of Forensic Pathology, University of Foggia, Italy
Neuropathology 29:68-71. 2009..Cultures from the wound were negative for Clostridium tetani; the CSF analysis was negative. On the 9th day after admission, the man died...
- Molecular characterization of Clostridium tetani strains by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis and colony PCRLucile Plourde-Owobi
Research Department, Aventis Pasteur SA, Av Marcel Mérieux, Marcy L Etoile 69280, France
Appl Environ Microbiol 71:5604-6. 2005Pulsed-field gel electrophoresis and PCR were applied for the first time to the molecular characterization of Clostridium tetani. Among five strains tested, one (CN1339) turned out to contain a mixture of two genetically different clones ..
- Immune responses of Asian elephants (Elephas maximus) to commercial tetanus toxoid vaccineWilliam A Lindsay
Ringling Bros and Barnum and Bailey Center for Elephant Conservation, 12850 Old Grade Road, Polk City, FL 33868, USA
Vet Immunol Immunopathol 133:287-9. 2010..Surprisingly older animals mounted a significantly higher response to revaccination than did younger animals...
- Post-traumatic endophthalmitis involving Clostridium tetani and Bacillus sppM N Iyer
Department of Internal Medicine, The Christ Hospital, Cincinnati, Ohio 45219, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 132:116-7. 2001PURPOSE: To report a case of post-traumatic infectious endophthalmitis caused by Clostridium tetani and Bacillus spp. METHODS: Case report...
- Influence of placental malaria infection and maternal hypergammaglobulinaemia on materno-foetal transfer of measles and tetanus antibodies in a rural west African populationB J Okoko
Medical Research Council Laboratories, PO Box 273, Banjul, The Gambia, West Africa
J Health Popul Nutr 19:59-65. 2001..It is concluded that the combined influence of placental malaria infection and maternal hypergammaglobulinaemia is significantly associated with the transfer of impaired measles antibody in this population...
- Synthesis and antimicrobial activity of some new N-substituted quinoline derivatives of 1H-pyrazoleNilesh J Thumar
Department of Chemistry, Sardar Patel University, Vallabh Vidyanagar, Gujarat, India
Arch Pharm (Weinheim) 344:91-101. 2011..All the synthesized compounds were screened, against six bacterial pathogens, namely Bacillus subtilis, Clostridium tetani, Streptococcus pneumoniae, Salmonella typhi, Vibrio cholerae, Escherichia coli, and antifungal activity, ..
- Oncolysis by Clostridium oncolyticum M55 and subsequent enzymatic determination of sialic acid in serumE Marth
Institute of Hygiene, University, Graz
Zentralbl Bakteriol Mikrobiol Hyg A 265:33-44. 1987Since the discovery of the "Clostridium tetani phenomenon", various apathogenic clostridia have been used for tumour lysis. Experiments have been conducted to achieve a tumour diagnosis using radiolabelled antibodies to clostridia...
- Narrative review: tetanus-a health threat after natural disasters in developing countriesMajid Afshar
Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Ann Intern Med 154:329-35. 2011..Collapsing structures and swirling debris inflict numerous crush injuries, fractures, and serious wounds. Clostridium tetani infects wounds contaminated with dirt, feces, or saliva and releases neurotoxins that may cause fatal ..
- Tetanus: pathophysiology, treatment, and the possibility of using botulinum toxin against tetanus-induced rigidity and spasmsBjørnar Hassel
Norwegian Defense Research Establishment, N 2027 Kjeller, Norway
Toxins (Basel) 5:73-83. 2013Tetanus toxin, the product of Clostridium tetani, is the cause of tetanus symptoms. Tetanus toxin is taken up into terminals of lower motor neurons and transported axonally to the spinal cord and/or brainstem...
- Urocanate reductase: identification of a novel anaerobic respiratory pathway in Shewanella oneidensis MR-1Alexander V Bogachev
Department of Molecular Energetics of Microorganisms, A N Belozersky Institute of Physico Chemical Biology, Moscow State University, Moscow 119992, Russia
Mol Microbiol 86:1452-63. 2012..bacterial genera, such as Shewanella, Fusobacterium and Clostridium, the latter including the human pathogen Clostridium tetani. The UrdA activity in S...
- [Gene cloning, optimized expression and immunogenicity evaluation of tetanus toxin fragment C]Ming yong Wang
Department of Immunology, Southern Medical University, Guangzhou 510515, China
Nan Fang Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao 28:731-5. 2008..To obtain highly purified tetanus toxin fragment C (TTC) with good immunogenicity...
- Antitetanus and antidiphtheria immunity in newbornsS Durbaca
Cantacuzino Institute, Bucharest, Romania
Roum Arch Microbiol Immunol 58:267-72. 1999....
- Squeezing at entrance of proton transport pathway in proton-translocating pyrophosphatase upon substrate bindingYun Tzu Huang
Department of Life Science and Institute of Bioinformatics and Structural Biology, National Tsing Hua University, Hsin Chu 30013, Taiwan
J Biol Chem 288:19312-20. 2013..investigation single molecule FRET was employed to dissect the action at the pathway entrance in homodimeric Clostridium tetani H(+)-PPase upon ligand binding...
- Bacterial inhibition of phagocytosisJ D Ernst
San Francisco General Hospital, and Department of Medicine, University of California, 94143 0860, USA
Cell Microbiol 2:379-86. 2000..Clostridium species, for example, make a number of exotoxins of interest. Clostridium botulinum and Clostridium tetani neurotoxins inactivate the regulated secretory machinery by proteolytic cleavage of SNARE proteins, and ..
- Phage display of a human antibody against Clostridium tetani toxinG Esposito
Istituto di Ricerche di Biologia Molecolare P Angeletti IRBM, Pomezia Roma, Italy
Gene 148:167-8. 1994..The nucleotide sequence for the variable domain of both chains has been determined and compared to germline sequences...
- Differential antibody responses to Plasmodium falciparum-derived B-cell epitopes induced by diepitope multiple antigen peptides (MAP) containing different T-cell epitopesNina Maria Vasconcelos
Department of Immunology, Wenner Gren Institute, Stockholm University, SE 10691, Stockholm, Sweden
Vaccine 23:343-52. 2004..T-epitopes employed were from P. falciparum antigens (CS.T3, [T(*)]4 and EBP3) or from the Clostridium tetani toxin (P2)...
- Clostridial neurotoxinsA Goonetilleke
Department of Neurology, Newcastle General Hospital, Regional Neurosciences Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE4 6BE, UK
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 75:iii35-9. 2004
- Distance variations between active sites of H(+)-pyrophosphatase determined by fluorescence resonance energy transferYun Tzu Huang
Department of Life Science and Institute of Bioinformatics and Structural Biology, College of Life Science, National Tsing Hua University, Hsin Chu 30013, Taiwan
J Biol Chem 285:23655-64. 2010..A working model is accordingly proposed elucidating the distance variations of dimeric H(+)-PPase upon substrate binding...
- Tetanus in pregnancyJeanne S Sheffield
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 9032, USA
Am J Perinatol 21:173-82. 2004..It is caused by the release of two toxins produced by Clostridium tetani, a noninvasive gram-positive anaerobic bacillus...
- Use of intrathecal and intravenous clonidine in a case of severe tetanus with acute renal failureAlok Kumar
Senior Resident, Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Maulana Azad Medical College and Associated Lok Nayak Hospital, New Delhi 110002, 3 B S A Hospital, Delhi
Indian J Anaesth 53:204-8. 2009SUMMARY: Tetanus is an acute often fatal disease produced by the Gram-positive, obligate anaerobic bacterium Clostridium tetani. Prolonged intensive care is required in severe tetanus, with the associated complications including ..
- Clostridium novyi, sordellii, and tetani: mechanisms of diseaseDavid M Aronoff
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, The University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, United States Department of Microbiology and Immunology, The University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, United States Reproductive Sciences Program, The University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, United States Electronic address
Anaerobe 24:98-101. 2013..A primary purpose of this manuscript is to provide a succinct review on the mechanisms of disease caused by intoxication by the pathogens Clostridium tetani, Clostridium novyi, and Clostridium sordellii.
- Display of heterologous antigens on the Bacillus subtilis spore coat using CotC as a fusion partnerEmilia M F Mauriello
Dipartimento di Fisiologia Generale ed Ambientale, Sezione di Microbiologia, Universita Federico II, Napoli, Italy
Vaccine 22:1177-87. 2004..Recombinant spores expressing tetanus toxin fragment C (TTFC) of Clostridium tetani or the B subunit of the heat-labile toxin of Escherichia coli (LTB) were used for oral dosing and shown to ..
- Equivalent T cell epitope promiscuity in ecologically diverse human pathogensKirsten E Wiens
Department of Pathology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
PLoS ONE 8:e73124. 2013..To address this question, we compared the in silico HLA binding promiscuity of T cell epitopes from pathogens with distinct infection strategies and outcomes of human exposure...
- Reversible suppression of glutamatergic neurotransmission of cerebellar granule cells in vivo by genetically manipulated expression of tetanus neurotoxin light chainMutsuya Yamamoto
Mitsubishi Pharma Corporation, Discovery Technology Laboratory, Yokohama, 227 0033, Japan
J Neurosci 23:6759-67. 2003..These transgenic mice will serve as an animal model to study the cerebellar function in motor coordination and learning...
- [Development studies of lyophilized standard diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis vaccines]Erkan Ozcengiz
Mikrobiyol Bul 41:165-73. 2007..It was concluded that the formulations prepared in this study can be used as standard vaccines after being calibrated against World Health Organization standards...
- Expression of HLA-DP0401 molecules for identification of DP0401 restricted antigen specific T cellsJunbao Yang
Benaroya Research Institute at Virginia Mason, Seattle, WA, USA
J Clin Immunol 25:428-36. 2005..the influenza A Puerto Rico/8/34 matrix protein (MP) derived peptide MP(41-60) VLMEWLKTRPILSPLTKGIL and the Clostridium tetani Tetanus Toxin (TT) derived peptide TT(634-653) DKISDVSTIVPYIGPALNIV were identified as the DP0401 restricted ..
- Tetanus as cause of mass die-off of captive Japanese macaques, Japan, 2008Tomomi Nakano
Azabu University, Kanagawa, Japan
Emerg Infect Dis 18:1633-5. 2012In 2008 in Japan, 15/60 captive Japanese macaques died. Clostridium tetani was isolated from 1 monkey, and 11 had tetanus-specific symptoms. We conclude the outbreak resulted from severe environmental C. tetani contamination...
- India is on the way forward to maternal and neonatal tetanus elimination!Mohan Bairwa
PGIMS, Community Medicine, PGIMS, Medical Mod, Rohtak, Haryana 124001, India
Hum Vaccin Immunother 8:1129-31. 2012Tetanus is an acute, potentially fatal disease, caused by a bacterium, Clostridium tetani. The disease usually occurs in newborns through infection of the unhealed umbilical stump, particularly when the stump is cut with a non-sterile ..
- [Tetanus prophylaxis after an injury; check the need for vaccination and immunoglobulin]Margreet J M Te Wierik
GGD Midden Nederland, afd AGZ, Zeist
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 157:A5906. 2013Tetanus can occur after an injury and is caused by the exotoxin of Clostridium tetani. Characteristics of generalised tetanus include spasms in the back and other muscles, trismus, risus sardonicus and difficulty in breathing caused by ..
- Serological survey of immunity to tetanus in adult population of Northern Halkidiki, GreeceNikolaos Symeonidis
Paleohori Health Center, G M H Halkidiki, Thessaloniki, Greece
Eur J Epidemiol 18:1147-52. 2003..Because of the increased possibility of Clostridium tetani infection of the Northern Halkidiki population--like any other rural population the evaluation of the ..
- Evaluation of CP Chromo Select Agar for the enumeration of Clostridium perfringens from waterMammad Manafi
The Institute for Hygiene and Applied Immunology, Medical University of Vienna, Austria Electronic address
Int J Food Microbiol 167:92-5. 2013..1%) were indole positive and were identified as Clostridium sordellii, Clostridium bifermentans or Clostridium tetani. Only 3 strains (0...
- Postoperative tetanus after laparoscopic obturator hernia repair for strangulated ileus: report of a caseMitsuo Mori
Shirane Tokushukai Hospital, 2294 2 Nishino, Minami Alps, Yamanashi, 400 0213, Japan
Surg Today 42:470-4. 2012..b>Clostridium tetani organisms residing in the gastrointestinal tract were presumed to have been endogenously inoculated into the ..
- An efficient one-pot synthesis, structure, antimicrobial and antioxidant investigations of some novel quinolyldibenzo[b,e][1,4]diazepinonesNarsidas J Parmar
Department of Chemistry, Sardar Patel University, Vallabh Vidyanagar, District Anand, Gujarat, India
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 22:3816-21. 2012..antimicrobial activity studies it revealed all are active against Gram positive (Streptococcus pneumoniae, Clostridium tetani, and Bacillus subtilis), Gram negative (Salmonella typhi, Vibrio chlolerae and Escherichia coli), M...
- Structures of RNA processing and Silencing Enzymes in ProkaryotesHong Li; Fiscal Year: 2013..Helicobacter pylori, Neisseria meningitides, Vibrio vulnificus, Staphylococcus aureus, Salmonella Typhi and Clostridium tetani. A thorough understanding of the CRISPR immunity has important implications in studies of bacterial pathogen ..
- GENE EXPRESSION DURING SPORULATIONPatrick J Piggot; Fiscal Year: 2012..anthracis, Clostridium tetani, C. perfringens, C. botulinum and C...
- Direct gas sensing and repellent response to toxic gases in anaerobic pathogensCharles W Hespen; Fiscal Year: 2013..were identified through genomic analyses of the obligate anaerobic pathogens Clostridium botulinum and Clostridium tetani. Ubiquitous in biology, H-NOX domains are found in organisms from bacteria to mammals...
- NON-INVASIVE DELIVERY OF SKIN-TARGETED TETANUS VACCINESDE CHU TANG; Fiscal Year: 2002..We have demonstrated that a protective immune response against live Clostridium tetani infection could be elicited in mice by a single topical application of a patch containing an adenovirus ..
- SPRINT- Randomized Trial of Tibial Fracture FixationMarc Swiontkowski; Fiscal Year: 2006..The large size of the trial will reveal a more reliable and precise estimate of the true effect of both treatments. The results from this trial will be useful in guiding clinical practice. ..