Summary: The cause of TETANUS in humans and domestic animals. It is a common inhabitant of human and horse intestines as well as soil. Two components make up its potent exotoxin activity, a neurotoxin and a hemolytic toxin.
Publications142 found, 100 shown here
- Tetanus IgG antibody levels in children aged 12 to 47 months in TurkeyR C Yildirim
Kirikkale University Medical School, Public Health Department, Ankara, Turkey
Am J Infect Control 29:120-3. 2001..Further, it is a must in developing countries where vaccination efforts are hindered by cold-chain problems, underoptimum application practice, and high prevalence of concomitant infections...
- Current concepts in the management of Clostridium tetani infectionItzhak Brook
Georgetown University School of Medicine, 4431 Albemarle Street NW, Washington, DC 20016, USA
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 6:327-36. 2008..Tetanus is an acute toxemic illness caused by Clostridium tetani infection at a laceration or break in the skin...
- TetR is a positive regulator of the tetanus toxin gene in Clostridium tetani and is homologous to botRJ C Marvaud
Unité des Toxines Microbiennes, Institut Pasteur, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Infect Immun 66:5698-702. 1998..This supports that TetR positively regulates the TeTx gene in C. tetani and that a conserved mechanism of regulation of the neurotoxin genes is involved in C. tetani and C. botulinum...
- BotR/A and TetR are alternative RNA polymerase sigma factors controlling the expression of the neurotoxin and associated protein genes in Clostridium botulinum type A and Clostridium tetaniStephanie Raffestin
Institut Pasteur, Unité des Bactéries anaérobies et Toxines, 25 28 rue du Dr Roux 75724, Paris Cedex 15, France
Mol Microbiol 55:235-49. 2005Clostridium botulinum and Clostridium tetani, respectively, produce potent toxins, botulinum neurotoxin (BoNT) and tetanus neurotoxin (TeTx), which are responsible for severe diseases, botulism and tetanus...
- Tetanus in injecting drug users, United KingdomSusan J M Hahné
Emerg Infect Dis 12:709-10. 2006
- A decade of spore-forming bacterial infections among European injecting drug users: pronounced regional variationVivian D Hope
Health Protection Services, Health Protection Agency, London, UK
Am J Public Health 102:122-5. 2012..Six countries reported 367 cases; rates varied from 0.03 to 7.54 per million people. Most cases (92%) were reported from 3 neighboring countries: Ireland, Norway, and the United Kingdom. This geographic variation needs investigation...
- Microbiologic characterization and antimicrobial susceptibility of Clostridium tetani isolated from wounds of patients with clinically diagnosed tetanusJames I Campbell
Oxford University Clinical Research Unit, Hospital for Tropical Diseases, Ho Chi Minh City, Viet Nam
Am J Trop Med Hyg 80:827-31. 2009b>Clostridium tetani is the etiologic agent of the muscle-spasming disease tetanus. Despite an effective vaccine, tetanus is an ongoing problem in some developing countries...
- Oral immunogenicity of tomato-derived sDPT polypeptide containing Corynebacterium diphtheriae, Bordetella pertussis and Clostridium tetani exotoxin epitopesRuth E Soria-Guerra
División de Biologia Molecular, IPICYT, Camino a la Presa San Jose 2055, 78216 San Luis Potosi, Mexico
Plant Cell Rep 30:417-24. 2011..These findings support the concept of using transgenic tomatoes expressing sDPT polypeptide as model for edible vaccine against diphtheria, pertussis, and tetanus...
- Characterization of a heme oxygenase of Clostridium tetani and its possible role in oxygen toleranceHolger Bruggemann
Göttingen Genomics Laboratory, Institute of Microbiology and Genetics, Georg August University Gottingen, Grisebachstrasse 8, 37077 Gottingen, Germany
Arch Microbiol 182:259-63. 2004In order to colonize mammalian wounds, the anaerobic bacterium Clostridium tetani must presumably cope with temporary oxic conditions...
- Immunization against Clostridium perfringens cells elicits protection against Clostridium tetani in mouse model: identification of cross-reactive proteins using proteomic methodologiesSyed Imteyaz Alam
Biotechnology Division, Defence Research and Development Establishment, Gwalior, India
BMC Microbiol 8:194. 2008b>Clostridium tetani and Clostridium perfringens are among the medically important clostridial pathogens causing diseases in man and animals...
- Management and prevention of tetanusRichard F Edlich
Plastic Surgical Research Program, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
J Long Term Eff Med Implants 13:139-54. 2003..Because there is essentially no immunity to tetanus toxoid, the only effective way to control tetanus is by prophylactic immunization...
- Community-based seroepidemiology of tetanus in three selected provinces in TurkeyDemet Kurtoglu
Communicable Diseases Research Directorate, Refik Saydam National Hygiene Center, Ankara 06100, Turkey
Jpn J Infect Dis 57:10-6. 2004....
- The genome sequence of Clostridium tetani, the causative agent of tetanus diseaseHolger Bruggemann
Göttingen Genomics Laboratory and Department of General Microbiology, Institute of Microbiology and Genetics, Georg August University, Grisebachstrasse 8, D 37077 Gottingen, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:1316-21. 2003..The causative agent of tetanus disease is Clostridium tetani, an anaerobic spore-forming bacterium, whose natural habitat is soil, dust, and intestinal tracts of various ..
- Biochemical characterization of the catalytic domains of three different Clostridial collagenasesUlrich Eckhard
Division of Structural Biology, Department of Molecular Biology, University of Salzburg, Billrothstrasse 11, A 5020 Salzburg, Austria
Biol Chem 390:11-8. 2009..These observations have consequences with respect to the topology of the N-terminus relative to the active site as well as possible activation mechanisms...
- Tetanus antitoxin levels among adults over 40 years of age in Central Anatolia, TurkeyA Ozturk
Erciyes Universitesi Tip, Fakültesi Halk Sagligi Anabilim Dali, Kayseri, Turkey
Clin Microbiol Infect 9:33-8. 2003..To determine tetanus antitoxin levels in adults and the aged...
- Impaired immunity against tetanus in type 2 diabetesAli Tamer
Department of Internal Medicine, Izzet Baysal Medical School, Bolu, Turkey
Med Sci Monit 11:CR580-4. 2005..The aim of this study was to compare serum levels of tetanus antibody in diabetic patients over 50 years of age with those of age- and sex-matched non-diabetic controls...
- By the way, doctor. My doctor told me I'm overdue for a tetanus booster. I'm 60, and I wonder if it's really necessary at my age. Can't I just get one if I get a deep cut?Celeste Robb-Nicholson
Harvard Medical School
Harv Womens Health Watch 11:8. 2004
- Dysphagia in elderly women: consider tetanusA Rauch
Clinic and Policlinic for Infectious Diseases, University Hospital, Inselspital, Bern, Switzerland
Infection 34:35-8. 2006..In Switzerland, the most recently reported tetanus cases occurred in elderly women with insufficient seroprotection...
- Tetanus in a subcutaneous drug abuser: ineffectiveness of intrathecal baclofenR M Thomas
Intensive Care Unit, St James s University Hospital, Leeds, United Kingdom
Anaesth Intensive Care 34:811-5. 2006..The current strategies involved in treating tetanus are discussed...
- The seroepidemiology of tetanus in Catalonia, SpainA Dominguez
General Directorate of Public Health, Generalitat of Catalonia, Barcelona, Spain
Med Microbiol Immunol 196:115-9. 2007..9%) (P < 0.001). These results show that routine vaccination of children is successful. In adults aged > or = 45 years, the prevalence is inadequate and efforts should be made to increase vaccination...
- Tetanus immunity after diphtheria, tetanus toxoids, and acellular pertussis vaccination in children with clinically stable HIV infectionHoward M Rosenblatt
Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 116:698-703. 2005..HIV infection often impairs the immune response to childhood vaccines...
- Antibody response to diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis immunization in preterm infants who receive dexamethasone for chronic lung diseaseMichael J Robinson
Neonatal Department, Hope Hospital, Salford, United Kingdom
Pediatrics 113:733-7. 2004..To study the effect of dexamethasone in preterm infants with chronic lung disease (CLD) on antibody response to routine immunization against diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis (DTP)...
- Protection against tetanus in the aged people in the Czech Republic--cross-sectional studyVladimir Janout
Department of Preventive Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Palacky University Olomouc, Hnevotinska 3, 775 15 Olomouc, Czech Republic
Arch Gerontol Geriatr 40:123-8. 2005....
- Ulcerated rhabdomyosarcoma as portal of entry for tetanus in a previously nonimmunized childVicente Odone-Filho
Instituto de Tratamento do Câncer Infantil, Instituto da Criança, Departamento de Pediatria da Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade de São Paulo, 05403 900 Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 27:227-8. 2005..Due to an unfavorable evolution, the child underwent a hip disarticulation to provide tetanus control. The ulterior tumor management was successful: the child has been off therapy for more than 108 months with no evidence of disease...
- Critical prevalence of antibodies minimizing vaccination costs for hepatitis A, hepatitis B, varicella, measles and tetanus in adults and adolescents in Catalonia, SpainPedro Plans-Rubió
Department of Health, General Direction of Public Health, Travessera de les Corts 131 159, 08028 Barcelona, Spain
Vaccine 22:4002-13. 2004..Vaccination strategies based on the critical prevalence of antibodies could maximize the immunity level in the community from available resources...
- Clostridial neurotoxinsA Goonetilleke
Department of Neurology, Newcastle General Hospital, Regional Neurosciences Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE4 6BE, UK
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 75:iii35-9. 2004
- Persistence of antibodies against tetanus upon revaccinationI Matouskova
Department of Preventive Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Palacky University, Olomouc, Czech Republic
Cent Eur J Public Health 13:99-102. 2005..This finding together with a favorable epidemiological situation as regards the occurrence of tetanus could eventually enable to prolong the interval for revaccinating adults in the Czech Republic...
- Tetanus in pregnancyJeanne S Sheffield
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 9032, USA
Am J Perinatol 21:173-82. 2004..It is caused by the release of two toxins produced by Clostridium tetani, a noninvasive gram-positive anaerobic bacillus...
- Immunity to tetanus of a rural population in a Greek countyE Mendrinou
Department of Microbiology, St Andrew Hospital
New Microbiol 27:187-9. 2004..In each sample, we estimated IgG antibodies against Clostridium tetani toxin. A protection level of 0.1 IU/ml was set. 15...
- [Inclusion of a rapid test in the current Health Ministry Guidelines with the purpose of improving anti-tetanus prophylaxis prescribed to wounded patients presenting at French Emergency Departments]D Elkharrat
Service SAU adultes, Hopital Ambroise Pare, 9 avenue Charles de Gaulle, 92100 Boulogne Billancourt, France
Med Mal Infect 35:323-8. 2005
- Determination of tetanus antibodies by a double-antigen enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay in individuals of various age groupsK Caglar
Department of Medical Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Gazi University, 06500 Besevler, Ankara, Turkey
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 24:523-8. 2005..Preventive measures against tetanus should therefore focus on scheduled booster immunization for adults as well as children...
- [Immunologic tests: Clostridium tetani]Motohide Takahashi
Department of Bacterial Pathogenesis and Infection Control, National Institute of Infectious Diseases
Nihon Rinsho 63:206-9. 2005
- Analysis of the case fatality rate of tetanus among adults in a tertiary hospital in TurkeyO Ergonul
Ankara Numune Training and Research Hospital, Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology Clinic, Ankara, Turkey
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 22:188-90. 2003..This suggests a need for adult vaccination programs and/or a plan to educate the public to recognize symptoms early and then rapidly seek medical care...
- [Generalized tetanus in a teenager]F V Valla
Service de Réanimation Pédiatrique, Hopital Debrousse, CHU de Lyon, 29 rue Soeur Bouvier, 69005 Lyon, France
Arch Pediatr 14:362-4. 2007..Tetanus has become an exceptional disease in industrialized countries since vaccination...
- The role of cell population kinetics in the efficacy of penicillin--an experimental analysis and stochastic modeling of the tumour tetanus and wound tetanus of the mouseU Schneeweiss
Central Institute of Cancer Research, Academy of Sciences of the GDR
Zentralbl Bakteriol Mikrobiol Hyg A 266:506-21. 1987....
- Protection against tetanus by needle-free inoculation of adenovirus-vectored nasal and epicutaneous vaccinesZ Shi
Vaxin, Inc, USA
J Virol 75:11474-82. 2001..Here we show that a protective immune response against live Clostridium tetani infection in mice can be elicited by an adenovirus vector encoding the tetanus toxin C fragment when ..
- Improvement in laboratory diagnosis of wound botulism and tetanus among injecting illicit-drug users by use of real-time PCR assays for neurotoxin gene fragmentsD Akbulut
Food Safety Microbiology Laboratory, Health Protection Agency Centre for Infections, London, UK
J Clin Microbiol 43:4342-8. 2005An upsurge in wound infections due to Clostridium botulinum and Clostridium tetani among users of illegal injected drugs (IDUs) occurred in the United Kingdom during 2003 and 2004...
- Insufficient tetanus vaccination status in patients with chronic leg ulcers. Results of a prospective investigation in 100 patientsA Korber
Dermatology Clinic and Outpatient Clinic, University Duisburg Essen, Essen, Germany
Dermatology 217:69-73. 2008Tetanus disease is caused by Clostridium tetani and is one of the most common infectious diseases worldwide...
- Post-traumatic endophthalmitis involving Clostridium tetani and Bacillus sppM N Iyer
Department of Internal Medicine, The Christ Hospital, Cincinnati, Ohio 45219, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 132:116-7. 2001PURPOSE: To report a case of post-traumatic infectious endophthalmitis caused by Clostridium tetani and Bacillus spp. METHODS: Case report...
- [Serological study carried out in Cambodia during a tetanus vaccination in adults]M Schlumberger
Unit4 INSERM U618 protéases et vectorisation pulmonaires, Equipe vecteurs, virus et vaccins, Faculté de pharmacie Philippe Maupas, 31 avenue Gaspard Monge, 37200 Tours, France
Bull Soc Pathol Exot 101:36-42. 2008..Excluding vaccination in at-risk population for such a study would be however ethically unacceptable...
- Video NeuroImage: Generalized tetanus in a 70-year-old womanG M De Marchis
Ospedale Regionale di Locarno La Carità, 6600 Locarno, Switzerland
Neurology 70:e70. 2008
- [Immunoenzimatic detection of the Clostridium tetani bacterial toxin: an alternative to mice bioassays]Fernando Chaves
Facultad de Microbiologia, Universidad de Costa Rica, San Jose, Costa Rica
Rev Biol Trop 54:253-6. 2006Cell-free extracts from 20 strains of Clostridium tetani isolated from soil samples, were tested for tetanus toxin production using an enzyme immunoassay...
- Antitetanus toxoid antibody titer of chronic hemodialysis patients in IranMohammad Mahdi Sagheb
Department of Internal Medicine, Shiraz University of Medical Science, Shiraz, Iran
Iran J Immunol 5:45-50. 2008..Patients with end stage renal disease have higher incidence of infection diseases that is thought to be related to impaired immune system...
- Coxofemoral luxation in a border collie as a complication of a Clostridium tetani infectionM A Goldhammer
Royal Dick School of Veterinary Studies, University of Edinburgh, Hospital for Small Animals, Easter Bush Veterinary Centre, Roslin, Midlothian EH25 9RG, UK
J Small Anim Pract 49:159-62. 2008..Coxofemoral luxation resulted as a complication of the tetanus and was successfully managed by performing a femoral head and neck excision. This is the first report of joint luxation associated with Clostridium tetani infection in a dog.
- Tetanus seroprevalence among farmers: a preliminary studyMary S Hayney
Pharmacy Practice Division, University of Wisconsin School of Pharmacy, Madison 53705, USA
J Rural Health 19:109-12. 2003..We hypothesized that tetanus antibody concentrations would be lower in farmers than in nonfarmers within the rural population...
- Prevalence of diphtheria and tetanus antibodies and circulation of Corynebacterium diphtheriae in São Paulo, BrazilK G Divino-Goes
Departamento de Pediatria, Escola Paulista de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 40:1681-7. 2007..8%) were carriers of C. diphtheriae, all non-toxigenic strains. The present results demonstrate the clear need of periodic booster for tetanus and diphtheria vaccine in adolescents and adults after primary immunization in childhood...
- A case of clinical tetanus in a patient with protective antitetanus antibody levelAlvaro Beltran
South Med J 100:83. 2007
- Therapy and epidemiology of autism--clostridial spores as key elementsSydney M Finegold
Infectious Diseases Section 111 F, VA Medical Center West Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90073, United States
Med Hypotheses 70:508-11. 2008..These latter two hypotheses have major implications with regard to the epidemiology of this important and distressing disease and would encourage research into methods to eliminate clostridial spores from the home and other environments...
- [Tetanus immunity in the elderly in the Czech Republic]I Matouskova
Epidemiol Mikrobiol Imunol 56:10-3. 2007..The sporadic incidence of tetanus cases in the Czech Republic over the last 15 years indirectly indicates the efficacy of the immunization strategy used...
- Prevalence of tetanus immunity in the Egyptian populationel Rashdy M Redwan
Protein Research Department, GEBRI, Mubarak City for Scientific Research and Biotechnology Application, New Borg EL Arab, Alexandria, Egypt
Hum Antibodies 11:55-9. 2002..3% Significantly, more males (23.7%) unprotected against tetanus. Our results suggest that monitoring immunization status and administering the tetanus vaccine as required are essential to insure adequate and long-lasting antibody levels...
- Tetanus complicating snakebite in northern Nigeria: clinical presentation and public health implicationsA G Habib
Ahmadu Bello University Hospital, Zaria, Nigeria
Acta Trop 85:87-91. 2003..Snakebite is not uncommon and partly because of lack of effective antivenom, management in inaccessible areas could be complicated with tetanus in unimmunized victims...
- What is your diagnosis? Localised tetanus in a catR M Baral
Paddington Cat Hospital, 183 Glenmore Road, Paddington, NSW, 2021, Australia
J Feline Med Surg 4:221-4. 2002
- Bacterial inhibition of phagocytosisJ D Ernst
San Francisco General Hospital, and Department of Medicine, University of California, 94143 0860, USA
Cell Microbiol 2:379-86. 2000..Clostridium species, for example, make a number of exotoxins of interest. Clostridium botulinum and Clostridium tetani neurotoxins inactivate the regulated secretory machinery by proteolytic cleavage of SNARE proteins, and ..
- Pharmacotherapy of tetanus--a reviewVenu Gopal Reddy
Department of Anaesthesia and ICU, College of Medicine, Sultan Qaboos University, P O Box 35, PC 123 SQU, Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Middle East J Anesthesiol 16:419-42. 2002With adequate immunization, tetanus caused by the gram-positive anaerobic cocci, clostridium tetani, is a preventable disease. In treating C...
- Phylogenomic analyses of clostridia and identification of novel protein signatures that are specific to the genus Clostridium sensu stricto (cluster I)Radhey S Gupta
Department of Biochemistry and Biomedical Science, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario L8N 3Z5, Canada
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 59:285-94. 2009..blastp searches on various proteins in the genomes of Clostridium tetani E88 and Clostridium perfringens SM101 have also identified more than 10 proteins that are found uniquely in ..
- Regulation of toxin and bacteriocin gene expression in Clostridium by interchangeable RNA polymerase sigma factorsBruno Dupuy
Unite de Genetique Moleculaire Bacterienne, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Mol Microbiol 60:1044-57. 2006The production of major extracellular toxins by pathogenic strains of Clostridium botulinum, Clostridium tetani and Clostridium difficile, and a bacteriocin by Clostridium perfringens is dependent on a related group of RNA polymerase ..
- Neonatal tetanus--report of a caseMilena Ilic
Department of Epidemiology, University of Kragujevac Faculty of Medicine, Serbia
Turk J Pediatr 52:404-8. 2010Neonatal tetanus is a severe, often fatal disease caused by the toxin Clostridium tetani. Neonatal tetanus is a generalized tetanus, which occurs in a neonate between 3-28 days of life...
- The genome BLASTatlas-a GeneWiz extension for visualization of whole-genome homologyPeter F Hallin
Center for Biological Sequence Analysis, Department of Systems Biology, The Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby, Denmark
Mol Biosyst 4:363-71. 2008..We provide examples of BLASTatlases, including the Clostridium tetani plasmid p88, where homologues for toxin genes can be easily visualized in other sequenced Clostridium ..
- Cephalic tetanus from penetrating orbital woundEloïse Guyennet
Department of Ophthalmology, CHU Pontchaillou, rue Henri Le Guilloux, 35000 Rennes, France
Case Report Med 2009:548343. 2009Tetanus is a neurologic disorder caused by tetanospasmin, a protein toxin elaborated by Clostridium tetani. Cephalic tetanus is a localized form of the disease causing trismus and dysfunction of cranial nerves...
- Oncolysis by Clostridium oncolyticum M55 and subsequent enzymatic determination of sialic acid in serumE Marth
Institute of Hygiene, University, Graz
Zentralbl Bakteriol Mikrobiol Hyg A 265:33-44. 1987Since the discovery of the "Clostridium tetani phenomenon", various apathogenic clostridia have been used for tumour lysis. Experiments have been conducted to achieve a tumour diagnosis using radiolabelled antibodies to clostridia...
- [Gene cloning, optimized expression and immunogenicity evaluation of tetanus toxin fragment C]Ming yong Wang
Department of Immunology, Southern Medical University, Guangzhou 510515, China
Nan Fang Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao 28:731-5. 2008..To obtain highly purified tetanus toxin fragment C (TTC) with good immunogenicity...
- Preliminary study of mucosal IgA in the equine small intestine: specific IgA in cases of acute grass sickness and controlsF G Nunn
Medical Microbiology, Centre for Infectious Diseases, University of Edinburgh College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine, The Chancellor s Building, 49 Little France Crescent, Edinburgh EH16 4SB, UAE
Equine Vet J 39:457-60. 2007..Specific mucosal antibodies in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract are likely to be important in protection, and this study was performed to ascertain if such antibodies could be detected and if their levels were related to disease state...
- Tetanus in a parenteral drug abuser: report of a caseM P Francois
Department of Medicine, Harlem Hospital Center, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York
J Natl Med Assoc 86:223-5. 1994Tetanus is an infection caused by Clostridium tetani. In the United States, tetanus remains a significant problem primarily among nonimmunized or inadequately immunized individuals...
- Outbreak of necrotizing fasciitis due to Clostridium sordellii among black-tar heroin usersAkiko C Kimura
Division of Communicable Disease Control, California Department of Health Services, Gardena, California 90248, USA
Clin Infect Dis 38:e87-91. 2004..has resulted in an increased number of cases of wound botulism due to Clostridium botulinum, tetanus due to Clostridium tetani, and necrotizing soft-tissue infections due to a variety of clostridia...
- Transgenic tomatoes express an antigenic polypeptide containing epitopes of the diphtheria, pertussis and tetanus exotoxins, encoded by a synthetic geneRuth Elena Soria-Guerra
División de Biologia Molecular, Instituto Potosino de Investigacion Cientifica y Tecnologica, Camino a la Presa San Jose 2055, 78216 San Luis Potosi, S L P, Mexico
Plant Cell Rep 26:961-8. 2007..often fatal diseases due to the exotoxins produced by Corynebacterium diphteriae, Bordetella pertussis and Clostridium tetani. We are attempting to develop an edible DPT multicomponent vaccine in plants, based on the fusion of ..
- An immunohistochemical study on a tetanus fatal case using toxin fragment C (TTC). Should it be a useful diagnostic tool?Emanuela Turillazzi
Department of Forensic Pathology, University of Foggia, Italy
Neuropathology 29:68-71. 2009..Cultures from the wound were negative for Clostridium tetani; the CSF analysis was negative. On the 9th day after admission, the man died...
- Recently occurring adult tetanus in Korea: emphasis on immunization and awareness of tetanusDong Hyeon Shin
Department of Internal Medicine, Chonnam National University, Medical School, 8 Hak Dong, Dong Gu, Gwangju 501 757, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 18:11-6. 2003..the female who may have a lower immunity against tetanus, and the farmers who are likely to be exposed to Clostridium tetani. In addition, diagnosis of tetanus is often delayed in area where cases are seen infrequently...
- Phylogenetic positions of Clostridium chauvoei and Clostridium septicum based on 16S rRNA gene sequencesP Kuhnert
Institute of Veterinary Bacteriology, University of Bern, Switzerland
Int J Syst Bacteriol 46:1174-6. 1996..Bacteriol. 44:812-826, 1994), which includes Clostridium carnis, Clostridium perfringens, Clostridium botulinum, and Clostridium tetani. We found that 99.3% of the nucleotides in the genes of C. chauvoei and C. septicum are identical.
- Generation of plant-derived recombinant DTP subunit vaccineR Brodzik
Biotechnology Foundation Laboratories at Thomas Jefferson University, 1020 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Vaccine 27:3730-4. 2009..DTP) pediatric vaccine is produced from the corresponding pathogenic bacteria Corynebacterium diphtheriae, Clostridium tetani and Bordetella pertussis; five injected doses of DTaP (acellular) vaccine are required for every child in ..
- Comparative genomic analysis of a neurotoxigenic Clostridium species using partial genome sequence: Phylogenetic analysis of a few conserved proteins involved in cellular processes and metabolismSyed Imteyaz Alam
Biotechnology Division, Defence Research and Development Establishment, Gwalior 474002, India
Anaerobe 16:147-54. 2010..b>Clostridium tetani produces tetanus neurotoxin and is responsible for the fatal tetanus disease...
- Treatment principles in the management of open fracturesWilliam W Cross
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Minnesota Medical School, 2450 Riverside Ave, Ste R 200, Minneapolis, MN 55454, USA
Indian J Orthop 42:377-86. 2008..All open fractures should be addressed for the risk of contamination from Clostridium tetani. When possible, early closure of open fracture wounds, either by primary means or by flaps, can also ..
- [Tetanus in the geriatric population: is it a collective health problem?]L M Pagliuca
Universidade Federal do Ceara
Rev Lat Am Enfermagem 9:69-75. 2001Tetanus is an infectious non-contagious disease caused by the bacillus Clostridium tetani, which penetrates in the organism through wounds...
- Use of intrathecal and intravenous clonidine in a case of severe tetanus with acute renal failureAlok Kumar
Senior Resident, Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Maulana Azad Medical College and Associated Lok Nayak Hospital, New Delhi 110002, 3 B S A Hospital, Delhi
Indian J Anaesth 53:204-8. 2009SUMMARY: Tetanus is an acute often fatal disease produced by the Gram-positive, obligate anaerobic bacterium Clostridium tetani. Prolonged intensive care is required in severe tetanus, with the associated complications including ..
- Phage display of a human antibody against Clostridium tetani toxinG Esposito
Istituto di Ricerche di Biologia Molecolare P Angeletti IRBM, Pomezia Roma, Italy
Gene 148:167-8. 1994..The nucleotide sequence for the variable domain of both chains has been determined and compared to germline sequences...
- Transcription activation of a UV-inducible Clostridium perfringens bacteriocin gene by a novel sigma factorBruno Dupuy
Unite de Genetique Moleculaire Bacterienne, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Mol Microbiol 55:1196-206. 2005..UviA is related to a special class of sigma factors found to date only in Clostridium species and responsible for activating transcription of toxin genes in Clostridium difficile, Clostridium tetani, and Clostridium botulinum.
- Expression of HLA-DP0401 molecules for identification of DP0401 restricted antigen specific T cellsJunbao Yang
Benaroya Research Institute at Virginia Mason, Seattle, WA, USA
J Clin Immunol 25:428-36. 2005..the influenza A Puerto Rico/8/34 matrix protein (MP) derived peptide MP(41-60) VLMEWLKTRPILSPLTKGIL and the Clostridium tetani Tetanus Toxin (TT) derived peptide TT(634-653) DKISDVSTIVPYIGPALNIV were identified as the DP0401 restricted ..
- Tetanus as cause of mass die-off of captive Japanese macaques, Japan, 2008Tomomi Nakano
Azabu University, Kanagawa, Japan
Emerg Infect Dis 18:1633-5. 2012In 2008 in Japan, 15/60 captive Japanese macaques died. Clostridium tetani was isolated from 1 monkey, and 11 had tetanus-specific symptoms. We conclude the outbreak resulted from severe environmental C. tetani contamination...
- India is on the way forward to maternal and neonatal tetanus elimination!Mohan Bairwa
PGIMS, Community Medicine, PGIMS, Medical Mod, Rohtak, Haryana 124001, India
Hum Vaccin Immunother 8:1129-31. 2012Tetanus is an acute, potentially fatal disease, caused by a bacterium, Clostridium tetani. The disease usually occurs in newborns through infection of the unhealed umbilical stump, particularly when the stump is cut with a non-sterile ..
- [Tetanus prophylaxis after an injury; check the need for vaccination and immunoglobulin]M J M te Wierik
GGD Midden Nederland, afd AGZ, Zeist
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 157:A5906. 2013Tetanus can occur after an injury and is caused by the exotoxin of Clostridium tetani.- Characteristics of generalised tetanus include spasms in the back and other muscles, trismus, risus sardonicus and difficulty in breathing caused by ..
- Serological survey of immunity to tetanus in adult population of Northern Halkidiki, GreeceNikolaos Symeonidis
Paleohori Health Center, G M H Halkidiki, Thessaloniki, Greece
Eur J Epidemiol 18:1147-52. 2003..Because of the increased possibility of Clostridium tetani infection of the Northern Halkidiki population--like any other rural population the evaluation of the ..
- Evaluation of CP Chromo Select Agar for the enumeration of Clostridium perfringens from waterMammad Manafi
The Institute for Hygiene and Applied Immunology, Medical University of Vienna, Austria Electronic address
Int J Food Microbiol 167:92-5. 2013..1%) were indole positive and were identified as Clostridium sordellii, Clostridium bifermentans or Clostridium tetani. Only 3 strains (0...
- An efficient one-pot synthesis, structure, antimicrobial and antioxidant investigations of some novel quinolyldibenzo[b,e][1,4]diazepinonesNarsidas J Parmar
Department of Chemistry, Sardar Patel University, Vallabh Vidyanagar, District Anand, Gujarat, India
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 22:3816-21. 2012..antimicrobial activity studies it revealed all are active against Gram positive (Streptococcus pneumoniae, Clostridium tetani, and Bacillus subtilis), Gram negative (Salmonella typhi, Vibrio chlolerae and Escherichia coli), M...
- Postoperative tetanus after laparoscopic obturator hernia repair for strangulated ileus: report of a caseMitsuo Mori
Shirane Tokushukai Hospital, 2294 2 Nishino, Minami Alps, Yamanashi, 400 0213, Japan
Surg Today 42:470-4. 2012..b>Clostridium tetani organisms residing in the gastrointestinal tract were presumed to have been endogenously inoculated into the ..
- The effect of magnesium sulfate on uncontrollable contractions in a tetanus caseIsmail Kati
Department of Anaesthesiology and Reanimation, Yuzuncu Yil University, Van, Turkey
Pediatr Emerg Care 28:366-7. 2012Tetanus is a rare disease caused by the exotoxins of Clostridium tetani. Higher mortality rates have been reported among the elderly and in the newborn...
- Radioimmunotherapy with iodine-131 tositumomab in patients with low-grade non-Hodgkin's B-cell lymphoma does not induce loss of acquired humoral immunity against common antigensT Nordøy
Department of Oncology, University Hospital of Tromsø, Tromsø, N 9038, Norway
Clin Immunol 100:40-8. 2001..No significant reduction in antibody concentrations to tetanus or measles could be detected. The data show that acquired humoral immunity against common antigens appears to be preserved despite a temporary loss of B-lymphocytes...
- Safety and immunogenicity of Chiron/Biocine recombinant acellular pertussis-diphtheria-tetanus vaccine in infants and toddlersS B Black
Pediatric Vaccine Study Group, Kaiser Permanente Vaccine Study Center, Oakland, CA, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 16:53-8. 1997..To evaluate the safety and immunogenicity of the recombinant acellular pertussis-diphtheria-tetanus (aPDT) vaccine (C-aPDT, Chiron/Biocine)...
- Lymphocyte proliferative response and subset profiles during extended periods of chloroquine or primaquine prophylaxisD J Fryauff
U S Naval Medical Research Unit No 2, Jakarta, Irian Jaya, Indonesia
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 40:2737-42. 1996..and concanavalin A) and antigens (purified protein derivative of Mycobacterium tuberculosis and Clostridium tetani toxoid) and expressed as a stimulation index, allowed for statistical comparison between groups and sampling ..
- Tetanus: pathophysiology and managementM E Ernst
College of Pharmacy, University of Iowa, Iowa City 52242, USA
Ann Pharmacother 31:1507-13. 1997..To review the epidemiology, pathophysiology, clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and management of tetanus and its complications...
- Immunization with recombinant Streptococcus gordonii expressing tetanus toxin fragment C confers protection from lethal challenge in miceD Medaglini
Laboratorio di Microbiologia Molecolare e Biotecnologia LA M M B, Dipartimento di Biologia Molecolare, Sezione di Microbiologia, Universita di Siena, Policlinico Le Scotte, Viale Bracci, 53100, Siena, Italy
Vaccine 19:1931-9. 2001..These data show that TTFC expressed on the surface of S. gordonii is immunogenic by the subcutaneous and mucosal routes and the immune response induced is capable of conferring protection from the lethal challenge with TT...
- Immunity to tetanus among adults in TurkeyO Ergonul
Clinic of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology, Ankara Numune Training and Research Hospital, Turkey
Scand J Infect Dis 33:728-30. 2001..009). Poor immunity against tetanus is a problem in elderly people in Turkey...
- Studies on a Hib-tetanus toxoid conjugate vaccine: effects of co-administered tetanus toxoid vaccine, of administration route and of combined administration with an inactivated polio vaccineR M Carlsson
Department of Infectious Diseases, Goteborg University, Sahlgrenska University Hospital Ostra, S 416 85, Goteborg, Sweden
Vaccine 18:468-78. 1999..The tetanus antibody response from T as a carrier protein alone was not sufficient for basic tetanus immunization, but should be considered in future use of additional T conjugated vaccines...
- Decline of tetanus antitoxin level with age in taiwanChi Jung Wu
Graduate Institute of Clinical Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, Medical College, and Department of Internal Medicine, National Cheng Kung University Hospital, Tainan, Taiwan
J Formos Med Assoc 108:395-401. 2009Tetanus is caused by Clostridium tetani, and is a vaccine-preventable infectious disease...
- Genetic, immunological and biochemical evidence for a Rnf complex in the acetogen Acetobacterium woodiiEva Biegel
Molecular Microbiology and Bioenergetics, Institute of Molecular Biosciences, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt am Main, Frankfurt, Germany
Environ Microbiol 11:1438-43. 2009..The subunits were present in cells respiring with either carbon dioxide or caffeate. A preparation with NADH dehydrogenase activity was obtained from detergent solubilized membranes that contained RnfC and RnfG...
- Postoperative complications in a lamb after major surgeryEnzo Vettorato
Royal Dick School of Veterinary Studies, The University of Edinburgh, Easter Bush Veterinary Centre, Roslin, Midlothian, EH25 9RG, UK
Vet Anaesth Analg 38:63-9. 2011..The ewe was vaccinated against Clostridium perfringens and Clostridium tetani 5 weeks pre-partum. There were no apparent problems with the lamb's intake of colostrum...
- Na+-translocating membrane pyrophosphatases are widespread in the microbial world and evolutionarily precede H+-translocating pyrophosphatasesHeidi H Luoto
Department of Biochemistry and Food Chemistry, University of Turku, FIN 20014 Turku, Finland
J Biol Chem 286:21633-42. 2011..Four of these enzymes (from Anaerostipes caccae, Chlorobium limicola, Clostridium tetani, and Desulfuromonas acetoxidans) were identified as K(+)-dependent Na(+) transporters...
- Failure of highly active antiretroviral therapy in reconstituting immune response to Clostridium tetani vaccine in aged AIDS patientsRegis M Andrade
Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Parasitology, State University of Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 54:10-7. 2010..The results suggest that successfully highly active antiretroviral therapy-treated aged AIDS patients do not reconstitute the immune response to TT, making them probably more susceptible to tetanus even after vaccination...
- [Production and immunogenicity analysis of conformation-stable fragment-C mutant of tetanus toxin]Rui Yu
State Key Laboratory of Pathogen and Biosecurity, Beijing Institute of Microbiology and Epidemiology, Beijing 100071, China
Sheng Wu Gong Cheng Xue Bao 27:226-32. 2011Tetanus is caused by tetanus toxin synthesized by Clostridium tetani. Fragment C (Hc), the 50 kDa carboxy-terminal portion of tetanus toxin, is nontoxic but has receptor protein binding activities, which has been evaluated as a potential ..
- Reactogenicity and immunogenicity of adult versus paediatric diphtheria and tetanus booster dose at 6 years of ageM L Ciofi Degli Atti
Laboratory of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Reparto Malattie Infettive, Viale Regina Elena 299, 00161, Roma, Italy
Vaccine 20:74-9. 2001..001). The higher antibody response and the comparable reactogenicity indicate that DT should be used as booster at school-entry, particularly if additional booster doses during adolescence or adulthood are not administered...
- Microwave assisted synthesis and antimicrobial evaluation of new fused pyran derivatives bearing 2-morpholinoquinoline nucleusJigar A Makawana
Department of Chemistry, Sardar Patel University, Vallabh Vidyanagar 388120, Gujarat, India
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 21:6166-9. 2011..All the compounds were screened against three Gram positive bacteria (Streptococcus pneumoniae, Clostridium tetani, Bacillus subtilis), three Gram negative bacteria (Salmonella typhi, Vibrio cholerae, Escherichia coli) and ..
- Mechanism of gram variability in select bacteriaT J Beveridge
Department of Microbiology, College of Biological Science, University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada
J Bacteriol 172:1609-20. 1990..bovis, Actinomyces viscosus, Arthrobacter globiformis, Bacillus brevis, Butyrivibrio fibrisolvens, Clostridium tetani, Clostridium thermosaccharolyticum, Corynebacterium parvum, Mycobacterium phlei, and Propionibacterium acnes,..
- A universal strategy for high-yield production of soluble and functional clostridial collagenases in E. coliPaulina Ducka
Department of Molecular Biology, University of Salzburg, Austria
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 83:1055-65. 2009..constructs of collagenase G (ColG) and H (ColH) from Clostridium histolyticum and collagenase T (ColT) from Clostridium tetani, mimicking the isoforms in vivo...
- Quinoline-Based Inhibitors of Botulinum Neurotoxin ANORTON PEET; Fiscal Year: 2007..Together with the tetanus neurotoxin (TeNT), which is produced by Clostridium tetani, the BoNTs comprise the clostridial neurotoxin (CNT) family (8)...
- GENE EXPRESSION DURING SPORULATIONPATRICK PIGGOT; Fiscal Year: 2009..anthracis, Clostridium tetani, C. perfringens, C. botulinum and C...
- GENE EXPRESSION DURING SPORULATIONPatrick J Piggot; Fiscal Year: 2010..anthracis, Clostridium tetani, C. perfringens, C. botulinum and C...
- GENE EXPRESSION DURING SPORULATIONPATRICK PIGGOT; Fiscal Year: 2009..anthracis, Clostridium tetani, C. perfringens, C. botulinum and C...
- NON-INVASIVE DELIVERY OF SKIN-TARGETED TETANUS VACCINESDE CHU TANG; Fiscal Year: 2001..We have demonstrated that a protective immune response against live Clostridium tetani infection could be elicited in mice by a single topical application of a patch containing an adenovirus ..
- NON-INVASIVE DELIVERY OF SKIN-TARGETED TETANUS VACCINESDE CHU TANG; Fiscal Year: 2002..We have demonstrated that a protective immune response against live Clostridium tetani infection could be elicited in mice by a single topical application of a patch containing an adenovirus ..
- Modulation of Lung Innate Immunity by Prostaglandin E2David Aronoff; Fiscal Year: 2007..Successful completion of the studies outlined in the proposal will help to define a relatively understudied component of host defense and may lead to the development of better preventive and therapeutic strategies against pneumonia. ..
- Role of misoprostol in Clostridium sordellii endometritis after medical abortionDavid Aronoff; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Role of misoprostol in Clostridium sordellii endometritis after medical abortionDavid Aronoff; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- Modulation of Lung Innate Immunity by Prostaglandin E2David Aronoff; Fiscal Year: 2008..Successful completion of the studies outlined in the proposal will help to define a relatively understudied component of host defense and may lead to the development of better preventive and therapeutic strategies against pneumonia. ..
- Role of misoprostol in Clostridium sordellii endometritis after medical abortionDavid M Aronoff; Fiscal Year: 2010....