- Antimicrobial susceptibility of anaerobic bacteria in New Zealand: 1999-2003
Sally A Roberts
Department of Microbiology, LabPlus, Auckland District Health Board, Auckland, New Zealand
J Antimicrob Chemother 57:992-8. 2006
..This study reports the national trend of antibiotic susceptibility of clinically significant anaerobes in New Zealand...
- Electron transfer in syntrophic communities of anaerobic bacteria and archaea
Alfons J M Stams
Laboratory of Microbiology, Wageningen University, Dreijenplein 10, 6703 HB Wageningen, The Netherlands
Nat Rev Microbiol 7:568-77. 2009
..Anaerobic methane oxidation coupled to sulphate reduction is also carried out by syntrophic communities of bacteria and archaea but, as we discuss, the exact mechanism of this syntrophic interaction is not yet understood...
- Detection of anaerobic bacteria in high numbers in sputum from patients with cystic fibrosis
Michael M Tunney
School of Pharmacy, Medical Biology Centre, Queen s University Belfast, Belfast, United Kingdom
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 177:995-1001. 2008
Pulmonary infection in cystic fibrosis (CF) is polymicrobial and it is possible that anaerobic bacteria, not detected by routine aerobic culture methods, reside within infected anaerobic airway mucus.
- Caldicellulosiruptor kronotskyensis sp. nov. and Caldicellulosiruptor hydrothermalis sp. nov., two extremely thermophilic, cellulolytic, anaerobic bacteria from Kamchatka thermal springs
Margarita L Miroshnichenko
Winogradsky Institute of Microbiology, Russian Academy of Sciences, Prospect 60 letiya Oktyabrya 7 2, 117312 Moscow, Russia
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 58:1492-6. 2008
..The names proposed for these organisms are Caldicellulosiruptor kronotskyensis sp. nov. (type strain 2002(T)=DSM 18902(T)=VKM B-2412(T)) and Caldicellulosiruptor hydrothermalis sp. nov. (type strain 108(T)=DSM 18901(T)=VKM B-2411(T))...
- Besifloxacin, a novel fluoroquinolone, has broad-spectrum in vitro activity against aerobic and anaerobic bacteria
Bausch and Lomb, Inc, 1400 N Goodman St, Rochester, NY 14609, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:3552-60. 2009
..Besifloxacin demonstrated potent, broad-spectrum activity, which was particularly notable against gram-positive and gram-negative isolates that were resistant to other fluoroquinolones and classes of antibacterial agents...
- Metabolism of alkylbenzenes, alkanes, and other hydrocarbons in anaerobic bacteria
A M Spormann
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Stanford University, CA 94305 4020, USA
Biodegradation 11:85-105. 2000
..Diverse strains of anaerobic bacteria have been isolated that degrade toluene anaerobically, using nitrate, iron(III), or sulfate as electron ..
- Potential for using thermophilic anaerobic bacteria for bioethanol production from hemicellulose
Bio Centrum, Technical University of Denmark, Building 227, DK 2800 Lyngby, Denmark
Biochem Soc Trans 32:283-9. 2004
..A total of 86 enrichment cultures and 58 pure cultures were tested and five candidates were selected which successfully fulfilled the criteria defined for the screening test...
- New glycyl radical enzymes catalysing key metabolic steps in anaerobic bacteria
Laboratorium für Mikrobiologie, Philipps Universitat Marburg, D 35032 Marburg, Germany
Biol Chem 386:981-8. 2005
..Finally, the available whole-genome sequences of an increasing number of strictly or facultative anaerobic bacteria revealed the presence of many more hitherto unknown glycyl radical enzyme (GRE) systems...
- The role of anaerobic bacteria in chronic suppurative otitis media in children: implications for medical therapy
Department of Pediatrics, Georgetown University School of Medicine, 4431 Albemarle St NW, Washington, DC 20016, USA
Anaerobe 14:297-300. 2008
..and medical management of chronic suppurative otitis media (CSOM) in children highlighting the role of anaerobic bacteria. In studies that employed adequate method for recovery of anaerobic bacteria polymicrobial aerobic and ..
- Microbiology and management of joint and bone infections due to anaerobic bacteria
Department of Pediatrics, Georgetown University, School of Medicine, 3900 Reservoir Road NW, Washington, DC 20007, USA
J Orthop Sci 13:160-9. 2008
To describes the microbiology, diagnosis, and management of septic arthritis and osteomyelitis due to anaerobic bacteria.
- Reductive debromination of polybrominated diphenyl ethers by anaerobic bacteria from soils and sediments
Lip Kim Lee
Division of Environmental Science and Engineering, National University of Singapore, Singapore, Republic of Singapore 117576
Appl Environ Microbiol 76:794-802. 2010
..g., penta- and tetra-BDEs) detected in the environment...
- The role of anaerobic bacteria in bacteremia
Georgetown University School of Medicine, 4431 Albemarle St NW, Washington, DC 20016, USA
Anaerobe 16:183-9. 2010
b>Anaerobic bacteria remain an important cause of bloodstream infections and account for 1-17% of positive blood cultures...
- Production of phytoestrogen S-equol from daidzein in mixed culture of two anaerobic bacteria
Xiu Ling Wang
School of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University, Seoul 151 742, South Korea
Arch Microbiol 187:155-60. 2007
..Niu-O16. This is the first report in which two metabolic pathways to produce S-equol from daidzein by a mixed culture of bacteria isolated from human and bovine intestinal environments were successfully linked under anaerobic conditions...
- Antimicrobial susceptibility of anaerobic bacteria in Belgium as determined by E-test methodology
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Cliniques Universitaires de Mont Godinne, 5530 Yvoir, Belgium
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 28:261-7. 2009
..Because of the occurrence of resistance to most classes of current anti-anaerobic antibiotics, it is recommended that the antimicrobial resistance patterns be monitored regularly in order to guide empirical therapy...
- The potential of anaerobic bacteria to degrade chlorinated compounds
M H van Eekert
TNO Energy, Environment and Process Innovation, Department of Environmental Biotechnology, Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Water Sci Technol 44:49-56. 2001
..Specific halo-respiring bacteria may be used to increase the dechlorination activities via bioaugmentation in the case that the appropriate microorganisms are not present at the contaminated site or in the sludge...
- Characterization of culturable anaerobic bacteria from the forestomach of an eastern grey kangaroo, Macropus giganteus
Animal Science, Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries DPI and F, Yeerongpilly, Queensland, Australia
Lett Appl Microbiol 41:327-33. 2005
To determine the culturable biodiversity of anaerobic bacteria isolated from the forestomach contents of an eastern grey kangaroo, Macropus giganteus, using phenotypic characterization and 16S rDNA sequence analysis.
- Thermostable lipases from the extreme thermophilic anaerobic bacteria Thermoanaerobacter thermohydrosulfuricus SOL1 and Caldanaerobacter subterraneus subsp. tengcongensis
Institute of Technical Microbiology, Hamburg University of Technology TUHH, Kasernenstrasse 12, 21073, Hamburg, Germany
Extremophiles 13:769-83. 2009
..The observed E values for but-3-yn-2-ol butyrate and but-3-yn-2-ol acetate of 21 and 16, respectively, make these enzymes ideal candidates for kinetic resolution of synthetically useful compounds...
- In vitro activity of levofloxacin against a selected group of anaerobic bacteria isolated from skin and soft tissue infections
H M Wexler
Veterans Administration Medical Center, Department of Medicine, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90024, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 42:984-6. 1998
..The geometric mean MIC of levofloxacin was lower than those of ofloxacin and ciprofloxacin for every group except Veillonella...
- [Anaerobic bacteria of periodontal pockets in course of periodontitis and premature labor]
Zakład Periodontologii Katedry Stomatologii Zachowawczej i Periodontologii, Pomorskiej Akademii Medycznej w Szczecinie
Med Dosw Mikrobiol 60:71-8. 2008
..The microbial investigation for anaerobic bacteria of deepest periodontal pockets was performed in 35 cases of periodontits...
- Antimicrobial susceptibility patterns for recent clinical isolates of anaerobic bacteria in South Korea
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Research Institute of Bacterial Resistance, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 250 Seongsanro, Seodaemun gu, Seoul 120 752, South Korea
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:3993-7. 2010
We determined the antimicrobial susceptibilities of 255 clinical isolates of anaerobic bacteria collected in 2007 and 2008 at a tertiary-care hospital in South Korea...
- Anaerobic bacteria in 118 patients with deep-space head and neck infections from the University Hospital of Maxillofacial Surgery, Sofia, Bulgaria
Department of Microbiology, Medical University of Sofia, University Hospital of Maxillofacial Surgery, Sofia, Bulgaria
J Med Microbiol 55:1285-9. 2006
..In conclusion, the start of empirical treatment could influence the frequency or rate of isolation of Fusobacterium species. The involvement of the Bacteroides fragilis group in some head and neck infections should be considered...
- Urinary tract and genito-urinary suppurative infections due to anaerobic bacteria
Department of Pediatrics, Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington DC 20016, USA
Int J Urol 11:133-41. 2004
..microbiology, diagnosis and management of urinary tract and genito-urinary suppurative infections caused by anaerobic bacteria. The types of infections of the urinary tract in which anaerobes have been involved include para- or ..
- Colonization of lower respiratory tract with anaerobic bacteria in mechanically ventilated patients
Service de Reanimation Medicale, Hopital Jean Bernard CHU, 86021, Poitiers Cedex, France
Intensive Care Med 29:1062-8. 2003
To study lower respiratory tract colonization by anaerobic bacteria in ICU patients on prolonged mechanical ventilation using two types of protected tracheal sampling methods.
- [Incidence of anaerobic bacteria in respiratory tract infections]
Zakładu Mikrobiologii Jamy Ustnej AM w Gdańsku
Pneumonol Alergol Pol 71:68-73. 2003
b>Anaerobic bacteria are predominant components of normal oral cavity, upper respiratory tract, gastrointestinal, genital and skin flora. They are involved in infections such as pneumonia, aspiration pneumonia, lung abscess and empyema...
- Comparative activity of pradofloxacin against anaerobic bacteria isolated from dogs and cats
MB Consult Limited, Lymington, SO41 3TQ, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 60:999-1003. 2007
To compare the intrinsic activity of pradofloxacin, a new fluoroquinolone developed for use in veterinary medicine, with other fluoroquinolones, against anaerobic bacteria isolated from dogs and cats.
- Microbiological analysis of infected root canals from symptomatic and asymptomatic teeth with periapical periodontitis and the antimicrobial susceptibility of some isolated anaerobic bacteria
R C Jacinto
Endodontic Area, Dental School of Piracicaba, University of Campinas, Piracicaba, SP, Brazil
Oral Microbiol Immunol 18:285-92. 2003
..with the presence of clinical signs and symptoms, and to test the antibiotic susceptibility of five anaerobic bacteria mostly commonly found in the root canals of symptomatic teeth against various substances using the E-test...
- Antiparasitic drug nitazoxanide inhibits the pyruvate oxidoreductases of Helicobacter pylori, selected anaerobic bacteria and parasites, and Campylobacter jejuni
Paul S Hoffman
Division of Infectious Diseases and International Health, 409 Lane Road, University of Virginia Health Systems, Charlottesville, VA 22908 1340, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:868-76. 2007
Nitazoxanide (NTZ) exhibits broad-spectrum activity against anaerobic bacteria and parasites and the ulcer-causing pathogen Helicobacter pylori...
- Antibacterial effect of bioactive glasses on clinically important anaerobic bacteria in vitro
Department of Medical Microbiology, University of Turku, Kiinamyllynkatu 13, Turku, Finland
J Mater Sci Mater Med 19:547-51. 2008
..Glass S53P4 had a strong growth-inhibitory effect on all pathogens tested. Glass 13-93 and sol-gel derived material CaPSiO II showed moderate antibacterial properties...
- Octreotide induced prolongation of colonic transit increases faecal anaerobic bacteria, bile acid metabolising enzymes, and serum deoxycholic acid in patients with acromegaly
L A Thomas
Gastroenterology Unit, Division of Medicine, GKT School of Medicine, Kings College, London, UK
Gut 54:630-5. 2005
- In vitro activity of ceftaroline against 623 diverse strains of anaerobic bacteria
D M Citron
R M Alden Research Laboratory, 6133 Bristol Parkway, Suite 175, Culver City, CA 90404, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:1627-32. 2010
..novel, parenteral, broad-spectrum cephalosporin, and four comparator antimicrobials were determined against anaerobic bacteria. Against Gram-positive strains, the activity of ceftaroline was similar to that of amoxicillin-clavulanate ..
- Activities of four frog skin-derived antimicrobial peptides (temporin-1DRa, temporin-1Va and the melittin-related peptides AR-23 and RV-23) against anaerobic bacteria
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Szeged, Szeged, Hungary
Int J Antimicrob Agents 29:317-21. 2007
..draytonii) were evaluated against a range of reference strains and clinical isolates of anaerobic bacteria. These peptides were selected because they show broad-spectrum growth inhibitory activity against reference ..
- Antimicrobial activity of some Pacific Northwest woods against anaerobic bacteria and yeast
W H Johnston
College of Veterinary Medicine, 105 Magruder Hall, Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon 97331, USA
Phytother Res 15:586-8. 2001
..cedar (Thuja plicata) and ponderosa pine (Pinus ponderosa) were tested for antimicrobial activity against anaerobic bacteria and yeast...
- Molecular microbial diversity of an anaerobic digestor as determined by small-subunit rDNA sequence analysis
J J Godon
Laboratoire de Biotechnologie de l Environnement, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Narbonne, France
Appl Environ Microbiol 63:2802-13. 1997
..In contrast, the three other Archaea OTUs are unusual and are related to thermophilic microorganisms such as Crenarchaea or Thermoplasma spp. Five percent of the sequences analyzed were chimeras and were removed from the analysis...
- The susceptibility of anaerobic bacteria isolated from periodontal diseases to photodynamic inactivation with Fotolon (chlorin e6)
Institute of Genetics and Microbiology, University of Wrocław, Poland
Pol J Microbiol 54:305-10. 2005
..the activity of the Fotolon sensitizer, composed of chlorin e6 and polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP), against anaerobic bacteria isolated from periodontal diseases. Over 99...
- Comparison of 3 swab transport systems for direct release and recovery of aerobic and anaerobic bacteria
Kenneth G Van Horn
Focus Diagnostics, Inc, Cypress, CA 90630, USA
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 62:471-3. 2008
- Pericarditis due to anaerobic bacteria
Department of Pediatrics, Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, DC, USA
Cardiology 97:55-8. 2002
This review describes the microbiology, diagnosis and management of pericarditis due to anaerobic bacteria. The predominant anaerobes recovered from patients with pericarditis were: gram-negative bacilli (mostly of the Bacteroides ..
- 6-Oxocyclohex-1-ene-1-carbonyl-coenzyme A hydrolases from obligately anaerobic bacteria: characterization and identification of its gene as a functional marker for aromatic compounds degrading anaerobes
Institute of Biochemistry, University of Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
Environ Microbiol 10:1547-56. 2008
In anaerobic bacteria, most aromatic growth substrates are channelled into the benzoyl-coenzyme A (CoA) degradation pathway where the aromatic ring is dearomatized and cleaved into an aliphatic thiol ester...
- Propagation of anaerobic bacteria within an aerobic multi-species chronic wound biofilm model
Research and Testing Laboratory, Lubbock, TX, USA
J Wound Care 18:426-31. 2009
..In order to better screen antimicrobial and antibiofilm therapeutics, we evaluated the ability of key anaerobes to incorporate and propagate within our aerobic chronic wound biofilm...
- 16S rRNA gene sequencing in routine identification of anaerobic bacteria isolated from blood cultures
Ulrik Stenz Justesen
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Odense University Hospital, Odense, Denmark
J Clin Microbiol 48:946-8. 2010
A comparison between conventional identification and 16S rRNA gene sequencing of anaerobic bacteria isolated from blood cultures in a routine setting was performed (n = 127)...
- Acetate versus hydrogen as direct electron donors to stimulate the microbial reductive dechlorination process at chloroethene-contaminated sites
School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta 30332 0512, USA
Environ Sci Technol 36:3945-52. 2002
..These findings demonstrated that either acetate or H2 alone can be sufficient to promote complete..
- Changes in bacterial profile during amebiasis: demonstration of anaerobic bacteria in ALA pus samples
School of Life Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India
Am J Trop Med Hyg 75:880-5. 2006
..In addition, PCR revealed metronidazole resistance genes in fecal and pus samples of metronidazole-treated individuals. Re-examination of the ameba-bacterium relationship in amebiasis is suggested...
- Third Belgian multicentre survey of antibiotic susceptibility of anaerobic bacteria
Academisch Ziekenhuis Vrije Universiteit Brussel, 1090 Brussels, Belgium
J Antimicrob Chemother 59:132-9. 2007
..To collect recent data on the susceptibility of anaerobes and to compare them with results from previous studies...
- In vitro activities of gatifloxacin, two other quinolones, and five nonquinolone antimicrobials against obligately anaerobic bacteria
Institute for Medical Microbiology and Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases, University of Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 43:2783-6. 1999
..For all strains tested, gatifloxacin MICs at which 50 and 90% of the isolates were inhibited were 0.5 and 2 mg/liter, respectively, and were 3 to 4 dilution steps lower than, e.g., ciprofloxacin...
- The microbial spectrum of brain abscess with special reference to anaerobic bacteria
Department of Microbiology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi, India
Br J Neurosurg 12:127-30. 1998
..These findings indicate the microbial complexity of brain abscess and the need to target antimicrobial therapy against both the aerobic and anaerobic components of infection...
- Differential recognition of obligate anaerobic bacteria by human mannose-binding lectin
Division of Genomic Medicine, University of Sheffield, United Kingdom
Clin Exp Immunol 124:223-8. 2001
..The attachment of MBL to a wide range of anaerobic bacteria associated with human disease and colonization was surveyed...
- Pericarditis caused by anaerobic bacteria
Department of Pediatrics and Medicine, Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, DC 20016, USA
Int J Antimicrob Agents 33:297-300. 2009
This review describes the microbiology, diagnosis and management of pericarditis due to anaerobic bacteria. The predominant anaerobes isolated from patients with pericarditis are Gram-negative bacilli (mostly Bacteroides fragilis group) ..
- Distribution of anaerobic bacteria among pregnant periodontitis patients who experience preterm delivery
Institute of Clinical Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Szeged, H 6701 Szeged, P O Box 427, Hungary
Anaerobe 12:52-7. 2006
- In vitro activities of a new des-fluoro(6) quinolone, garenoxacin, against clinical anaerobic bacteria
Institute of Medical Microbiology and Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases, University of Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 47:3667-71. 2003
..0.25 and 0.5; Clostridium spp., 0.25 and 1; Clostridium difficile, 2 and >64; Bifidobacterium spp., 1 and 2; Eggerthella lenta, 0.25 and 1; Propionibacterium spp., 0.5 and 0.5; gram-positive cocci, 0.125 and 0.25...
- Novel major bacterial candidate division within a municipal anaerobic sludge digester
CNRS UMR 8030, Genoscope, 2, rue Gaston Crémieux, 91057 Evry, France
Appl Environ Microbiol 71:2145-53. 2005
..5% of the clone library, respectively. This inventory expands the known diversity of the latter bacterial division-level lineages...
- Bacterial vaginosis and anaerobic bacteria are associated with endometritis
Catherine L Haggerty
University of Pittsburgh, 130 DeSoto St, 516 Parran Hall, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Clin Infect Dis 39:990-5. 2004
..Chlamydia trachomatis and/or Neisseria gonorrhoeae account for approximately one-third to one-half of pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) cases. Thus, up to 70% of cases have an unknown, nongonococcal/nonchlamydial microbial etiology...
- Detection of potentially novel bacterial components of the human skin microbiota using culture-independent molecular profiling
Department of Dermatology, School of Medicine, Keio University, Tokyo 160 8582, Japan
J Med Microbiol 54:1231-8. 2005
..Culture-independent genetic profiling of 16S rRNA genes for detecting human cutaneous microbiota has allowed us to detect potentially novel components of the cutaneous microbiota in humans...
- Culturing aerobic and anaerobic bacteria and mammalian cells with a microfluidic differential oxygenator
Raymond H W Lam
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Hatsopoulos Microfluids Laboratory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Room 3 246, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Anal Chem 81:5918-24. 2009
..Growth characteristics of the selected species were analyzed as a function of eight discrete DO concentrations, ranging from 0 ppm (anaerobic) to 42 ppm (fully saturated)...
- In vitro activities of ramoplanin, teicoplanin, vancomycin, linezolid, bacitracin, and four other antimicrobials against intestinal anaerobic bacteria
D M Citron
R M Alden Research Laboratory, Santa Monica, California 90404, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 47:2334-8. 2003
- Acidification of methanol-fed anaerobic granular sludge bioreactors by cobalt deprivation: Induction and microbial community dynamics
Fernando G Fermoso
Sub Department of Environmental Technology, Wageningen University, Biotechnion Bomenweg 2, P O Box 8129, 6700 EV Wageningen, The Netherlands
Biotechnol Bioeng 99:49-58. 2008
..The loss of SMA on methanol can thus be used as an accurate parameter to predict reactor acidification of methanol-fed UASB reactors operating under cobalt limiting conditions...
- Membrane lipids of mesophilic anaerobic bacteria thriving in peats have typical archaeal traits
Johan W H Weijers
Royal Netherlands Institute for Sea Research NIOZ, Department of Marine Biogeochemistry and Toxicology, PO Box 59, 1790 AB Den Burg Texel, The Netherlands
Environ Microbiol 8:648-57. 2006
- Thermostable esterase from Thermoanaerobacter tengcongensis: high-level expression, purification and characterization
State Key Laboratory of Microbial Resources and Center for Molecular Microbiology, Institute of Microbiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100080, P R China
Biotechnol Lett 25:1463-7. 2003
..In addition, it was stable for 1 h at 37 degrees C in 1% CHAPS and Triton X-100 but not stable in 1% Tween 20 or SDS...
- Management of anaerobic infection
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 2:153-8. 2004
..Some antimicrobials have poor activity against anaerobic bacteria. The more suitable agents include penicillins, cephalosporins, carbapenems, chloramphenicol, clindamycin, ..
- Serum antibodies to oral anaerobic bacteria in patients with rheumatoid arthritis
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Nazilli State Hospital, Nazilli, Aydin, Turkey
MedGenMed 7:2. 2005
..This study was conducted to determine the component that causes the disease in rheumatoid arthritis (RA), which shows great resemblance to periodontitis in a pathologic context...
- Prevalence of antibiotic resistance in anaerobic bacteria: worrisome developments
David W Hecht
Hines Veterans Affairs Hospital, Hines, USA
Clin Infect Dis 39:92-7. 2004
Antibiotic-resistant anaerobic bacteria have become increasingly recognized as a confounding factor in the selection of therapeutic agents...
- Risk factors for mortality in patients with anaerobic bacteremia
J R Wilson
Departments of Laboratory Medicine and Medicine, University of Washington Medical Center, 1959 Northeast Pacific Street, Box 357110, Seattle, WA 98195 7110, USA
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 23:310-6. 2004
..All patients who had anaerobic bacteria isolated from blood over a 19-month period (from 1 September 1998 to 1 April 2000) at two urban teaching ..
- Dehydration of (R)-2-hydroxyacyl-CoA to enoyl-CoA in the fermentation of alpha-amino acids by anaerobic bacteria
Laboratorium für Mikrobiologie, Fachbereich Biologie, Philipps Unversität, Karl von Frisch Strasse, D 35032 Marburg, Germany
FEMS Microbiol Rev 28:455-68. 2004
..The transfer is catalysed by a membrane-bound NADH-ferredoxin oxidoreductase driven by an electrochemical Na(+)-gradient. This enzyme is related to the Rnf proteins involved in Rhodobacter capsulatus nitrogen fixation...
- Isolation from oil reservoirs of novel thermophilic anaerobes phylogenetically related to Thermoanaerobacter subterraneus: reassignment of T. subterraneus, Thermoanaerobacter yonseiensis, Thermoanaerobacter tengcongensis and Carboxydibrachium pacificum to
Marie Laure Fardeau
IRD, UR101 Extrêmophiles, IFR BAIM, Universités de Provence et de la Méditerranée, ESIL case 925, 163 Avenue de Luminy, 13288 Marseille Cedex 9, France
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 54:467-74. 2004
..comb. nov., Caldanaerobacter subterraneus subsp. yonseiensis subsp. nov., comb. nov., Caldanaerobacter subterraneus subsp. tengcongensis subsp. nov., comb. nov. and Caldanaerobacter subterraneus subsp. pacificus subsp. nov., comb. nov...
- Radical-mediated dehydration reactions in anaerobic bacteria
Laboratorium für Mikrobiologie, Fachbereich Biologie, Philipps Universitat, D 35032 Marburg, Germany
Biol Chem 386:951-9. 2005
..b>Anaerobic bacteria, however, ferment amino acids via alpha- or gamma-hydroxyacyl-CoA, dehydrations of which involve the ..
- The role of anaerobic bacteria in tonsillitis
Department of Pediatrics, Georgetown University School of Medicine, 4431 Albemarlr St NW, Washington, DC 20016, USA
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 69:9-19. 2005
This review summarizes the information that supports the potential importance of anaerobic bacteria in tonsillitis...
- Overcoming the hypoxic barrier to radiation therapy with anaerobic bacteria
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:15083-8. 2003
..The low level of oxygenation within tumors is a major cause of radiation treatment failures. We theorized that anaerobic bacteria that can selectively destroy the hypoxic regions of tumors would enhance the effects of radiation...
- Comparison of agar plate and real-time PCR on enumeration of Lactobacillus, Clostridium perfringens and total anaerobic bacteria in dog faeces
C J Fu
Department of Animal Sciences, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
Lett Appl Microbiol 42:490-4. 2006
To compare agar plate and real-time PCR methods on enumeration of total anaerobic bacteria, Lactobacillus and Clostridium perfringens in dog faeces.
- The incidence of anaerobes in the sputum of patients with cystic fibrosis
L A Jewes
Department of Bacteriology, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield
J Med Microbiol 31:271-4. 1990
..and anaerobic gram-positive cocci. Anaerobes were isolated more often from sputum liquefied by sonication than from unliquefied sputum, suggesting that they were unlikely to be oropharyngeal contaminants...
- The cellulosome and cellulose degradation by anaerobic bacteria
W H Schwarz
Research Group Microbial Biotechnology, Technische Universitat Munchen, Freising Weihenstephan, Germany
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 56:634-49. 2001
..Specific enzymes act in synergy to elicit effective hydrolysis. In contrast, anaerobic bacteria possess a unique extracellular multi-enzyme complex, called cellulosome...
- Elucidation of the pathways of catabolic glutamate conversion in three thermophilic anaerobic bacteria
C M Plugge
Laboratory of Microbiology, Wageningen University, H van Suchtelenweg 4, 6703 CT Wageningen, The Netherlands
Arch Microbiol 176:29-36. 2001
..Glutamate was converted to propionate oxidatively via the intermediates succinyl-CoA and methylmalonyl-CoA. A minor part of the succinyl-CoA was converted to succinate and excreted...
- Clinical review: bacteremia caused by anaerobic bacteria in children
Department of Pediatrics, Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, DC, USA
Crit Care 6:205-11. 2002
This review describes the microbiology, diagnosis and management of bacteremia caused by anaerobic bacteria in children. Bacteroides fragilis, Peptostreptococcus sp., Clostridium sp., and Fusobacterium sp...
- Activity of BMS284756 (T-3811) tested against anaerobic bacteria, Campylobacter jejuni, Helicobacter pylori and Legionella spp
P R Rhomberg
University of Iowa College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA, USA
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 40:45-9. 2001
..jejuni, H. pylori, Legionella spp. and most anaerobes, thus the potential role of this des-fluoro compound for treatment of infections caused by these fastidious species warrants further investigation...
- Current susceptibility patterns of anaerobic bacteria
H M Wexler
Research Services Veterans Administration Medical Center, West Los Angeles, California 90073, USA
Yonsei Med J 39:495-501. 1998
..resources mandate that careful consideration be given to the necessity for routine susceptibility testing of anaerobic bacteria. Determination of appropriate therapy can be based on published antibiograms; however, since patterns may ..
- Random sequence analysis of genomic DNA of an anaerobic, thermophilic, halophilic bacterium, Halothermothrix orenii
B N Mijts
Microbial Discovery Research Unit, School of Biomolecular and Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Science, Griffith University, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Extremophiles 5:61-9. 2001
..orenii as compared to the mesophilic haloanaerobes. This lack may be the result of reduced activity of acidic, halophilic enzymes at high temperatures and intermediate salt concentrations...
- In vitro activities of fourteen antimicrobial agents against obligately anaerobic bacteria
Institute for Medical Microbiology and Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases, University of Leipzig, Liebigstr 24, D 04103, Leipzig, Germany
Int J Antimicrob Agents 16:225-32. 2000
..in vitro activities of fourteen antimicrobial agents were tested against 292 clinical isolates of obligately anaerobic bacteria using the broth microdilution technique...
- Facultative or obligate anaerobic bacteria have the potential for multimodality therapy of solid tumours
Ming Q Wei
Department of Medicine, University of Queensland, Prince Charles Hospital, Brisbane, Qld 4032, Australia
Eur J Cancer 43:490-6. 2007
..This micro-milieu provides a haven for anaerobic bacteria. The strictly anaerobic clostridia have several advantages over other facultative anaerobes such as ..
- Role of Fusobacterium nucleatum and coaggregation in anaerobe survival in planktonic and biofilm oral microbial communities during aeration
D J Bradshaw
Centre for Applied Microbiology and Research, Salisbury SP4 0JG, United Kingdom
Infect Immun 66:4729-32. 1998
..001) in both the planktonic phase and in 4-day biofilms, while the numbers of facultatively anaerobic bacteria increased in these communities. Coaggregation-mediated interactions between F...
- Thermosipho melanesiensis sp. nov., a new thermophilic anaerobic bacterium belonging to the order Thermotogales, isolated from deep-sea hydrothermal vents in the southwestern Pacific Ocean
Laboratoire de Biotechnologie des Microorganismes Hydrothermaux, DRV VP, Center IFREMER de Brest, France
Int J Syst Bacteriol 47:1118-23. 1997
..africanus). On the basis of these observations, we propose that the new organism should be described as a new species, Thermosipho melanesiensis. The type strain of T. melanesiensis is BI429...
- Identification and molecular characterization of the aco genes encoding the Pelobacter carbinolicus acetoin dehydrogenase enzyme system
F B Oppermann
Institut für Mikrobiologie der Georg August Universität zu Göttingen, Federal Republic of Germany
J Bacteriol 176:469-85. 1994
..carbinolicus acetoin dehydrogenase enzyme system to 2-oxo acid dehydrogenase complexes...
- A new family of very long chain alpha,omega-dicarboxylic acids is a major structural fatty acyl component of the membrane lipids of Thermoanaerobacter ethanolicus 39E
Department of Biochemistry, Michigan State University, East Lansing 48824
J Lipid Res 35:1057-65. 1994
- Ocular infections due to anaerobic bacteria in children
Department of Pediatrics, Georgetown University, Washington, DC, USA
J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus 45:78-84. 2008
The recent increased recovery of anaerobic bacteria from children has led to greater appreciation of the role these organisms play in pediatric infections at all body sites, including the eye...
- Anaerobic pleuropulmonary infection
M E Levison
Division of Infectious Diseases, MCP Hahnemann University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19129, USA
Curr Opin Infect Dis 14:187-91. 2001
..Several new drugs that have in-vitro activity against obligate anaerobes have recently become available for empirical treatment of pneumonia...
- Carbon monoxide-dependent energy metabolism in anaerobic bacteria and archaea
Institut für Molekulare Biowissenschaften, Abteilung Molekulare Mikrobiologie und Bioenergetik, Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitat, Max von Laue Str 9, 60438 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Arch Microbiol 190:257-69. 2008
- Anaerobic bacteria in upper respiratory tract and other head and neck infections
Department of Pediatrics, Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, DC, USA
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 111:430-40. 2002
b>Anaerobic bacteria are common in chronic upper respiratory tract and head and neck infections...
- Cutaneous and subcutaneous infections in newborns due to anaerobic bacteria
Department of Pediatrics, Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, DC, USA
J Perinat Med 30:197-208. 2002
..the microbiology and management of the major cutaneous and subcutaneous infections in newborns where anaerobic bacteria predominate: omphalitis, necrotizing fasciitis, breast abscess, and scalp infection following intrauterine ..
- Linearly concatenated cyclobutane lipids form a dense bacterial membrane
Jaap S Sinninghe Damsté
Royal Netherlands Institute for Sea Research NIOZ, Department of Marine Biogeochemistry and Toxicology, PO Box 59, 1790 AB Den Burg, The Netherlands
Nature 419:708-12. 2002
..Our results further illustrate that microbial membrane lipid structures are far more diverse than previously recognized...
- Novel chemolithotrophic, thermophilic, anaerobic bacteria Thermolithobacter ferrireducens gen. nov., sp. nov. and Thermolithobacter carboxydivorans sp. nov
Winogradsky Institute of Microbiology, Russian Academy of Sciences, Prospect 60 letiya Oktyabrya 7 2, 117312, Moscow, Russia
Extremophiles 11:145-57. 2007
..Strain R1(T) is the type strain for the hydrogenogenic, CO-oxidizing Thermolithobacter carboxydivorans sp. nov. (DSM 7242(T), VKM 2359(T))...
- Characteristics of brain abscess with isolation of anaerobic bacteria
Gwenael Le Moal
Service de Medecine Interne et Maladies Infectieuses, CHU La Miletrie, Poitiers, France
Scand J Infect Dis 35:318-21. 2003
..BA due to anaerobic bacteria (group A) were compared with other cases (group B) to determine the frequency and eventual characteristics ..
- Anaerobic bacteria in jaw cysts
I A Iatrou
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Clinic, Dental School, Athens University, Greece
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 26:62-9. 1988
..0%). Antibiotic sensitivity tests of the isolated anaerobic cocci to a group of nine antibiotics revealed chloramphenicol and minocycline as the most effective. All anaerobic rods tested, were sensitive to metronidazole...
- Screening of thermophilic anaerobic bacteria for solid substrate cultivation on lignocellulosic substrates
Mari S Chinn
Department of Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering, University of Kentucky, 215 C E Barnhart Building, Lexington, Kentucky 40546 0276, USA
Biotechnol Prog 22:53-9. 2006
..The production potential of nine thermophilic anaerobic bacteria was examined on corn stover, sugar cane bagasse, paper pulp sludge, and wheat bran in submerged liquid ..
- Bay 12-8039, a new 8-methoxy-quinolone: comparative in-vitro activity with nine other antimicrobials against anaerobic bacteria
A P Macgowan
Bristol Centre for Antimicrobial Research and Evaluation, Southmead Health Services NHS Trust, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 40:503-9. 1997
The in-vitro activity of a new 8-methoxy-quinolone, Bay 12-8039, was assessed against 218 anaerobic bacteria. Ninety-eight per cent of strains belonging to the Bacteroides fragilis group (n = 65) were inhibited by < or = 2 mg/L of Bay ..
- Anaerobic mineralization of stable-isotope-labeled 2-methylnaphthalene
E R Sullivan
Biotechnology Center for Agriculture and the Environment, Cook College, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, New Brunswick, New Jersey 08901, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 67:4353-7. 2001
..Also detected were carboxylated 2-MNAPs, suggesting the presence of an alternative pathway for 2-MNAP degradation...
- New anaerobic process of nitrogen removal
Department of Chemical Enzymology, Chemistry Faculty, Moscow State University, 119992 Moscow, Russia
Water Sci Technol 54:163-70. 2006
..The paper describes also some characteristics of DEAMOX sludge, as well as the preliminary results of its microbiological characterization...
- Long-term, high-rate anaerobic biological treatment of whey wastewaters at psychrophilic temperatures
Microbial Ecology Laboratory, Department of Microbiology, National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland
Bioresour Technol 97:1669-78. 2006
- Oxidative and thermo-oxidative co-treatment with anaerobic digestion of excess municipal sludge
J A Cacho Rivero
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Cincinnati, 765 Baldwin Hall, Cincinnati, Ohio 45221, USA
Water Sci Technol 52:237-44. 2005
..1 and 26.9% respectively was observed. The performances of the different configurations were also evaluated with parameters such as COD, TKN, ammonia, and fecal coliform concentration...
- Comparative study of MBR and activated sludge in the treatment of paper mill wastewater
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa
Water Sci Technol 55:23-9. 2007
- Assessment of electrochemical and chemical coagulation as post-treatment for the effluents of a UASB reactor treating cellulose pulp mill wastewater
A P Buzzini
Department of Hydraulics and Sanitation, School of Engineering of São Carlos, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Water Sci Technol 52:183-8. 2005
..The addition of a high molecular weight cationic polymer enhanced both COD and color removal. Both post-treatment processes are technically feasible...
- Combined biological and physico-chemical treatment of baker's yeast wastewater
Department of Chemical Enzymology, Chemistry Faculty, Moscow State University, 119992 Moscow, Russia
Water Sci Technol 52:175-81. 2005
- The efficacy of ozone as a pre- and post-treatment option for UASB-treated food processing wastewaters
G O Sigge
Department of Food Science, University of Stellenbosch, Private Bag Xl, Matieland, 7602, South Africa
Water Sci Technol 52:167-73. 2005
..Subsequent increases in organic loading rate (OLR) from 2.4 to 3.4 kgCOD m(-3) x d(-1) did not affect reactor performance. By including a final post-ozonation treatment to this UASB effluent a total COD reduction of 99.2% was achieved...
- Study on performance of granular ANAMMOX process and characterization of the microbial community in sludge
Department of Environmental Science and Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
Water Sci Technol 54:197-207. 2006
..The composition of 'aerobic' ammonium-oxidizing bacteria is only 2% of all of bacteria in reactors...
- Thermophilic treatment by anaerobic granular sludge as an effective approach to accelerate the electron transfer and improve the reductive decolorization of azo dyes in bioreactors
A B dos Santos
Sub Department of Environmental Technology, Wageningen University, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Water Sci Technol 52:363-9. 2005
..Furthermore, similar decolorizations were found at 55 degrees C between the AQDS-free and AQDS-supplemented reactors, whereas a significant difference (up to 3.6-fold) on dye reduction occurred at 30 degrees C...
- Fermentative hydrogen production in a system using anaerobic digester sludge without heat treatment as a biomass source
Department of Civil Engineering, University of Toronto, 35 St George Street, Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A4, Canada
Water Sci Technol 52:139-44. 2005
..The operational controls examined were not sufficient to eliminate hydrogen-consuming methanogens for longer than approximately one week, and thus further methods must be developed...