Genomes and Genes
Summary: A species of parasitic nematodes widely distributed throughout central Africa and also found in northern South America, southern Mexico, and Guatemala. Its intermediate host and vector is the blackfly or buffalo gnat.
Publications183 found, 100 shown here
- Immunopathogenesis of Onchocerca volvulus keratitis (river blindness): a novel role for endosymbiotic Wolbachia bacteriaEric Pearlman
Center for Global Health and Diseases, Case Western Reserve University, 2109 Adelbert Rd, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Med Microbiol Immunol 192:57-60. 2003..These observations have led to a new understanding of the pathogenesis of this disease..
- Feasibility of onchocerciasis elimination with ivermectin treatment in endemic foci in Africa: first evidence from studies in Mali and SenegalLamine Diawara
Ministère de Santé et de Prévention Médicale, Dakar, Senegal
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 3:e497. 2009....
- Macrofilaricidal activity after doxycycline only treatment of Onchocerca volvulus in an area of Loa loa co-endemicity: a randomized controlled trialJoseph D Turner
Filariasis Research Laboratory, Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Liverpool, United Kingdom
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 4:e660. 2010..could be used without subsequent ivermectin administration to effectively deliver sustained effects on Onchocerca volvulus microfilaridermia and adult viability...
- The Ov20 protein of the parasitic nematode Onchocerca volvulus. A structurally novel class of small helix-rich retinol-binding proteinsM W Kennedy
Division of Infection and Immunity, Institute of Biomedical and Life Sciences, Joseph Black Building, University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 272:29442-8. 1997Ov20 is a major antigen of the parasitic nematode Onchocerca volvulus, the causative agent of river blindness in humans, and the protein is secreted into the tissue occupied by the parasite...
- Criteria for the differentiation between young and old Onchocerca volvulus filariaeSabine Specht
Institute for Medical Microbiology, Immunology and Parasitology, University Hospital Bonn, 53105, Bonn, Germany
Parasitol Res 105:1531-8. 2009..long-lasting inhibition of embryogenesis and microfilaria production or macrofilaricidal activity against Onchocerca volvulus. Therefore, the patients have to be followed-up for several years...
- The nematode parasite Onchocerca volvulus generates the transforming growth factor-beta (TGF-beta)Simone Korten
Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine, Bernhard Nocht Str 74, 20359, Hamburg, Germany
Parasitol Res 105:731-41. 2009..Adult Onchocerca volvulus, Onchocerca gibsoni, Onchocerca ochengi, Onchocerca armillata, Onchocerca fasciata, Onchocerca flexuosa, ..
- Gene structure of the extracellular glutathione S-transferase from Onchocerca volvulus and its overexpression and promoter analysis in transgenic Caenorhabditis elegansS Krause
Department of Biochemical Parasitology, Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine, Bernhard-Nocht-Str. 74, 20359 Hamburg, Germany
Mol Biochem Parasitol 117:145-54. 2001..unique extracellular, glycosylated glutathione S-transferases (GSTs) of the human-pathogenic nematode, Onchocerca volvulus (Ov-GST1a and Ov-GST1b), have been isolated and characterised...
- Identification of the lipid mediator prostaglandin E2 in tissue immune cells of humans infected with the filaria Onchocerca volvulusNorbert W Brattig
Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine, D 20359 Hamburg, Germany
Acta Trop 112:231-5. 2009..We identified PGE(2) in host immune cells adjacent to Onchocerca volvulus in subcutaneous onchocercomas and the affected skin...
- The peroxidoxin 2 protein of the human parasite Onchocerca volvulus: recombinant expression, immunolocalization, and demonstration of homologous molecules in other speciesP F Zipfel
Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine, Hamburg, Germany
Parasitol Res 84:623-31. 1998The peroxidoxin protein of the filarial parasite Onchocerca volvulus (OvPXN-2) belongs to a group of highly conserved antioxidant molecules...
- Molecular and immunological characterization of hr44, a human ocular component immunologically cross-reactive with antigen Ov39 of Onchocerca volvulusG Braun
Department of Pathology, University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
J Exp Med 182:1121-31. 1995..The unique eye pathology associated with Onchocerca volvulus infection, particularly the development of posterior segment lesions, may be promoted by such autoreactive ..
- The variant Arg110Gln of human IL-13 is associated with an immunologically hyper-reactive form of onchocerciasis (sowda)Achim Hoerauf
Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine, 20359 Hamburg, Germany
Microbes Infect 4:37-42. 2002b>Onchocerca volvulus infection usually results in a predominantly immunopermissive reaction called generalized onchocerciasis and characterized by high microfilarial burden and immunological tolerance to the worms...
- Impact of combined large-scale ivermectin distribution and vector control on transmission of Onchocerca volvulus in the Niger basin, GuineaP Guillet
Centre ORSTOM, Montpellier, France
Bull World Health Organ 73:199-205. 1995..The combined use of ivermectin and vector control has opened up new prospects for carrying out OCP operations with, notably, the possibility of reducing larviciding operations...
- Wolbachia endosymbiont levels in severe and mild strains of Onchocerca volvulusTarig B Higazi
Division of Geographic Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, BBRB 203, 1530 3rd Avenue South, Birmingham, AL 35294-2170, USA
Mol Biochem Parasitol 141:109-12. 2005Epidemiological, clinical and genetic data have all suggested that the filarial parasite Onchocerca volvulus, the causative agent of onchocerciasis (or river blindness) exists as two strains in West Africa...
- Onchocerca volvulus and O. lienalis: the microfilaricidal activity of moxidectin compared with that of ivermectin in vitro and in vivoS K Tagboto
International Institute of Parasitology, St Albans
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 90:497-505. 1996The activity of the veterinary drug moxidectin against Onchocerca volvulus and On. lienalis microfilariae (mf), both in vitro and in experimentally infected CBA/Ca mice, was compared with that of ivermectin...
- Efficacy of ivermectin against Onchocerca volvulus in GhanaEd Cupp
Lancet 370:1123; author reply 1124-5. 2007
- Efficacy of ivermectin against Onchocerca volvulus in GhanaJan H F Remme
Lancet 370:1123-4; author reply 1124-5. 2007
- Human genetic resistance to Onchocerca volvulus: evidence for linkage to chromosome 2p from an autosome-wide scanChristian Timmann
Department of Molecular Medicine, Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine, Hamburg, Germany
J Infect Dis 198:427-33. 2008Human infections with the tissue nematode Onchocerca volvulus show strong interindividual variation in intensity, which cannot be explained by differences in exposure alone...
- Identifying sub-optimal responses to ivermectin in the treatment of River BlindnessThomas S Churcher
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Imperial College London, Norfolk Place, London, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:16716-21. 2009..The variability in the rate at which Onchocerca volvulus microfilariae repopulate host's skin following ivermectin treatment is quantified using an individual-based ..
- Phenotypic evidence of emerging ivermectin resistance in Onchocerca volvulusMike Y Osei-Atweneboana
Institute of Parasitology, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 5:e998. 2011..a reexamination of its microfilaricidal and suppressive effects on reproduction in the adult female Onchocerca volvulus. In an initial study, we demonstrated the continued potent microfilaricidal effect of IVM...
- The Onchocerca volvulus cysteine proteinase inhibitor, Ov-CPI-2, is a target of protective antibody response that increases with ageFidelis Cho-Ngwa
Laboratory of Molecular Parasitology, Lindsley F Kimball Research Institute, New York Blood Center, New York, New York, United States of America
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 4:e800. 2010Despite considerable efforts, a suitable vaccine against Onchocerca volvulus infection has remained elusive. Herein, we report on the use of molecular tools to identify and characterize O...
- Induction of protection against divergent H5N1 influenza viruses using a recombinant fusion protein linking influenza M2e to Onchocerca volvulus activation associated protein-1 (ASP-1) adjuvantGuangyu Zhao
State Key Laboratory of Pathogen and Biosecurity, Beijing Institute of Microbiology and Epidemiology, Beijing 100071, China
Vaccine 28:7233-40. 2010Our previous studies have shown the adjuvanticity of an Onchocerca volvulus recombinant protein, Ov-ASP-1 (ASP-1), when administered in an aqueous formulation with bystander vaccine antigens or commercial vaccines...
- Interruption of transmission of Onchocerca volvulus in the Oaxaca focus, MexicoMario A Rodríguez-Pérez
Centro de Biotecnología Genómica, Instituto Politecnico Nacional, Reynosa, Tamaulipas, Mexico
Am J Trop Med Hyg 83:21-7. 2010..09%). These meet the criteria for absence of morbidity and parasite transmission in the Oaxaca focus. As a result mass treatments with ivermectin were halted in 2009...
- The Onchocerciasis Elimination Program for the Americas (OEPA)M Sauerbrey
Onchocerciasis Elimination Program for the Americas OEPA, 14 Calle 3 51 Zona 10, Edificio Murano Center, Oficina 1401, Guatemala City, Guatemala
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 102:25-9. 2008..communities that are distributed within the 13 regional foci); (2) eliminate new morbidity caused by Onchocerca volvulus infection by 2007; and (3) eliminate transmission of the parasite wherever feasible...
- Immunohistological studies on neoplasms of female and male Onchocerca volvulus: filarial origin and absence of Wolbachia from tumor cellsN W Brattig
Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine, Bernhard Nocht Str 74, D 20359 Hamburg, Germany
Parasitology 137:841-54. 2010Up to 5% of untreated female Onchocerca volvulus filariae develop potentially fatal pleomorphic neoplasms, whose incidence is increased following ivermectin treatment...
- Transforming growth factor-beta expression by host cells is elicited locally by the filarial nematode Onchocerca volvulus in hyporeactive patients independently from WolbachiaSimone Korten
Institute of Medical Microbiology, Immunology and Parasitology IMMIP, University Clinic Bonn, Sigmund Freud Str 25, D 53105 Bonn, Germany
Microbes Infect 12:555-64. 2010..in subcutaneous nodules from highly infected, hyporeactive onchocerciasis patients, harbouring adult Onchocerca volvulus. Since many cell types produce TGF-beta, we elucidated the cellular source, distribution and dependency on ..
- Efficacy of 2- and 4-week rifampicin treatment on the Wolbachia of Onchocerca volvulusSabine Specht
Institute for Medical Microbiology, Immunology and Parasitology, University Hospital Bonn, Sigmund Freud Str 25, 53105 Bonn, Germany
Parasitol Res 103:1303-9. 2008..The loss of Wolbachia results in sterilization of Onchocerca volvulus and macrofilaricidal effects...
- Doxycycline in the treatment of human onchocerciasis: Kinetics of Wolbachia endobacteria reduction and of inhibition of embryogenesis in female Onchocerca wormsAchim Hoerauf
Department of Helminthology, Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine, Bernhard Nocht Strasse 74, 20359 Hamburg, Germany
Microbes Infect 5:261-73. 2003..Extension of the existing registration will not require much time or high cost. Treatment of individual patients can be considered immediately...
- Neutrophil accumulation around Onchocerca worms and chemotaxis of neutrophils are dependent on Wolbachia endobacteriaN W Brattig
Department of Clinical Chemistry, Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine, Bernhard Nocht Strasse 74, D 20359 Hamburg, Germany
Microbes Infect 3:439-46. 2001..treatment) are direct and indirect sources of signals accounting for neutrophil accumulation around adult Onchocerca volvulus filariae...
- Eliminating onchocerciasis after 14 years of vector control: a proved strategyJ M Hougard
Institut de Recherche pour le Developpement, Département Société et Santé, 911 Av Agropolis, BP 5045, 34032 Montpellier Cedex 1, France
J Infect Dis 184:497-503. 2001....
- Cystatins of filarial nematodes up-regulate the nitric oxide production of interferon-gamma-activated murine macrophagesSusanne Hartmann
Molecular Parasitology, Humboldt University, Philippstrasse 13, 10115 Berlin, Germany
Parasite Immunol 24:253-62. 2002..Recombinant cystatin of the human pathogenic filaria Onchocerca volvulus and of the rodent filaria Acanthocheilonema viteae significantly enhanced the NO production of interferon (..
- Studies on the macrofilarial population of Onchocerca volvulus in hyper-endemic villages of the Central province of CameroonM Boussinesq
Laboratoire mixte IRD CPC d Epidémiologie et de Santé publique, Centre Pasteur du Cameroun, B P 1274, Yaounde, Cameroon
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 95:379-88. 2001The population structure of Onchocerca volvulus macrofilariae was studied in villages of central Cameroon where onchocerciasis is hyper-endemic...
- Onchocerca volvulus microfilariae avoid complement attack by direct binding of factor HTaru Meri
Department of Bacteriology and Immunology, Haartman Institute and Helsinki University Central Hospital, University of Helsinki, FIN 00014 Helsinki, Finland
J Infect Dis 185:1786-93. 2002The filarial parasite Onchocerca volvulus is the causative agent of river blindness...
- Wolbachia- and Onchocerca volvulus-induced keratitis (river blindness) is dependent on myeloid differentiation factor 88Illona Gillette-Ferguson
Department of Ophthalmology, Case Western Reserve University, 10900 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, OH 44106 7286, USA
Infect Immun 74:2442-5. 2006Endosymbiotic Wolbachia bacteria that infect the filarial nematode Onchocerca volvulus were previously found to have an essential role in the pathogenesis of river blindness...
- Regional genetic variation in the major sperm protein genes of Onchocerca volvulus and Mansonella ozzardi (Nematoda: Filarioidea)R M Hojas
Department of Entomology, The Natural History Museum, London, UK
Int J Parasitol 30:1459-65. 2000b>Onchocerca volvulus and Mansonella ozzardi are two human filarial parasites present in South and Central America...
- Towards a recombinant antigen vaccine against Onchocerca volvulusSara Lustigman
Laboratory of Molecular Parasitology, Lindsley F Kimball Research Institute, New York Blood Center, 310 E 67th Street, New York, NY 10021, USA
Trends Parasitol 18:135-41. 2002..The approaches used to clone potential protective antigens and the successful vaccination of animals with some of the antigens are summarized here...
- Large-scale entomologic assessment of Onchocerca volvulus transmission by poolscreen PCR in MexicoMario A Rodríguez-Pérez
Centro de Biotecnología Genómica, Instituto Politecnico Nacional, Cd Reynosa, Tamaulipas, Mexico
Am J Trop Med Hyg 74:1026-33. 2006To study the impact of mass Mectizan treatment on Onchocerca volvulus transmission in Mexico, entomological surveys were carried out in the endemic foci of Oaxaca, Southern Chiapas, and Northern Chiapas...
- Can ivermectin mass treatments eliminate onchocerciasis in Africa?M Winnen
Department of Public Health, Erasmus University, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Bull World Health Organ 80:384-91. 2002To elucidate the conditions in which mass treatment with ivermectin reduces the transmission of Onchocerca volvulus sufficiently to eliminate infection from an African community.
- Effects of standard and high doses of ivermectin on adult worms of Onchocerca volvulus: a randomised controlled trialJacques Gardon
Institut Pasteur de la Guyane, Cayenne Cedex, , France
Lancet 360:203-10. 2002..to compare the effect of higher doses, more frequent doses, or both with the standard regimen on adult Onchocerca volvulus. METHODS: We randomly allocated 657 patients who had onchocerciasis to 150 microg/kg ivermectin yearly (..
- Ov-ASP-1, the Onchocerca volvulus homologue of the activation associated secreted protein family is immunostimulatory and can induce protective anti-larval immunityA J MacDonald
Laboratory of Molecular Parasitology, Lindsley F Kimball Research Institute, New York Blood Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Parasite Immunol 26:53-62. 2004Vaccination of mice with a recombinant protein, Ov-ASP-1, the Onchocerca volvulus homologue of the activation associated secreted gene family stimulated very high titres of both IgG1 and IgG2a without adjuvant...
- The safety, tolerability and pharmacokinetics of levamisole alone, levamisole plus ivermectin, and levamisole plus albendazole, and their efficacy against Onchocerca volvulusK Awadzi
Onchocerciasis Chemotherapy Research Centre OCRC, Hohoe Hospital, P O Box 144, Hohoe, Ghana
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 98:595-614. 2004..the safety of the same treatment regimens and their efficacy against the adult worms and microfilariae of Onchocerca volvulus were investigated in 66 infected subjects of both sexes...
- Immunoglobulin E and eosinophil-dependent protective immunity to larval Onchocerca volvulus in mice immunized with irradiated larvaeDavid Abraham
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Kimmel Cancer Center, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107, USA
Infect Immun 72:810-7. 2004Mice immunized with irradiated Onchocerca volvulus third-stage larvae developed protective immunity...
- Density-dependent parasite establishment suggests infection-associated immunosuppression as an important mechanism for parasite density regulation in onchocerciasisH P Duerr
Department of Medical Biometry, Institute of Tropical Medicine, University of Tubingen, Westbahnhofstr 55, 72070 Tübingen, Germany
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 97:242-50. 2003..We address the unresolved question of acquisition, establishment and accumulation of Onchocerca volvulus by using a modelling approach that relates computer simulations to cross-sectional data concerning parasite ..
- Co-infection with Onchocerca volvulus and Loa loa microfilariae in central Cameroon: are these two species interacting?S D S Pion
Laboratoire mixte IRD, Institut de Recherche pour le Developpement, CPC, Centre Pasteur du Cameroun d Epidémiologie et de Santé publique, Centre Pasteur du Cameroun, BP 1274, Yaounde, Cameroun
Parasitology 132:843-54. 2006..This hampers the implementation of mass ivermectin treatment against onchocerciasis in areas where Onchocerca volvulus and L. loa are co-endemic...
- The co-administration of ivermectin and albendazole--safety, pharmacokinetics and efficacy against Onchocerca volvulusK Awadzi
Onchocerciasis Chemotherapy Research Centre, Hohoe Hospital, P.O. Box 144, Hohoe, Ghana
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 97:165-78. 2003..determine whether the co-administration of ivermectin with albendazole is safe and more effective against Onchocerca volvulus than ivermectin alone, and whether a significant pharmacokinetic interaction occurs...
- Cloning, characterization and DNA immunization of an Onchocerca volvulus glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase (Ov-GAPDH)Klaus D Erttmann
Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medecine, Bernhard Nocht Str 74, D 20359 Hamburg, Germany
Biochim Biophys Acta 1741:85-94. 2005In the search for Onchocerca volvulus antigens possibly involved in protection against human onchocerciasis, partial amino acid sequence analysis of one of the O...
- Detection of Onchocerca volvulus infection in low prevalence areas: a comparison of three diagnostic methodsB A Boatin
Onchocerciasis Control Programme, World Health Organization, B.P. 549, Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Parasitology 125:545-52. 2002..As the DEC test is non-invasive, simple and cheap, it may provide a good alternative to skin snipping alone for surveillance in low prevalence areas...
- Short report: impact of ivermectin community-level treatments on elimination of adult Onchocerca volvulus when individuals receive multiple treatments per yearEddie W Cupp
Department of Entomology and Plant Pathology, Auburn University, Auburn, Alabama 36849 5413, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 73:1159-61. 2005..The effect is particularly obvious on adult male worms and suggests that this gender is susceptible to repetitive treatment after transmission has been blocked or greatly reduced as a result of community treatment...
- Antibody detection tests for Onchocerca volvulus: comparison of the sensitivity of a cocktail of recombinant antigens used in the indirect enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay with a rapid-format antibody card testMario A Rodríguez-Pérez
Centro de Biotecnología Genómica, Instituto Politecnico Nacional, Boulevard del Maestro Esquina Elías Piña, Reynosa, Tamaulipas, Mexico
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 97:539-41. 2003..The sensitivity of the ELISA and ICT was 97% and 86%, respectively...
- Depletion of wolbachia endobacteria in Onchocerca volvulus by doxycycline and microfilaridermia after ivermectin treatmentA Hoerauf
Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine, 20359, Hamburg, Germany
Lancet 357:1415-6. 2001....
- The mitochondrial genome of Onchocerca volvulus: sequence, structure and phylogenetic analysisE M Keddie
Department of Microbiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 35294, USA
Mol Biochem Parasitol 95:111-27. 1998The complete DNA sequence of the mitochondrial genome of Onchocerca volvulus is described. The O...
- Wolbachia endobacteria depletion by doxycycline as antifilarial therapy has macrofilaricidal activity in onchocerciasis: a randomized placebo-controlled studyAchim Hoerauf
Institute for Medical Microbiology, Immunology and Parasitology, University Clinic, Bonn, Sigmund Freud Strasse 25, Bonn, Germany
Med Microbiol Immunol 197:295-311. 2008..Doxycycline may be developed as second-line drug for onchocerciasis, to be administered in areas without transmission, in foci with IVM resistance and in areas with Loa co-infections...
- Effects of 6-week azithromycin treatment on the Wolbachia endobacteria of Onchocerca volvulusAchim Hoerauf
Institute for Medical Microbiology, Immunology and Parasitology, University Hospital Bonn, Sigmund Freud Str 25, 53105, Bonn, Germany
Parasitol Res 103:279-86. 2008..on the presence of Wolbachia endobacteria and on the embryogenesis and microfilariae production of Onchocerca volvulus were studied...
- Chitinase genes expressed by infective larvae of the filarial nematodes, Acanthocheilonema viteae and Onchocerca volvulusY Wu
Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, UK
Mol Biochem Parasitol 75:207-19. 1996..Primers based on the A. viteae sequence were used to amplify a related sequence from a cDNA library of Onchocerca volvulus infective larvae. The O...
- Effect of single-dose ivermectin on Onchocerca volvulus: a systematic review and meta-analysisMaria Gloria Basanez
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Imperial College London, London, UK
Lancet Infect Dis 8:310-22. 2008..in 1987, yet the mechanisms by which it exerts a fast decrease and long-lasting suppression of Onchocerca volvulus microfilaridermia, and inhibition of microfilarial release by female worms remain largely unknown...
- Onchocerca volvulus: comparison of field collection methods for the preservation of parasite and vector samples for PCR analysisL Toe
Onchocerciasis Control Programme, Bouake, Cote d Ivoire
Bull World Health Organ 75:443-7. 1997In recent years, methods for the identification of the filarial worm Onchocerca volvulus and its vector, blackflies of the Simulium damnosum complex (S. damnosum sensu lato (s.l...
- Mast cell distribution in nodules of Onchocerca volvulus from untreated patients with generalized onchocerciasisG Wildenburg
Department of Helminthology, Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine, Hamburg, Germany
Parasitology 116:257-68. 1998..appeared singly or in diffuse accumulations perivascularly and in inflammatory infiltrates between adult Onchocerca volvulus and in the capsular area. No mast cells were detected in cystic parts...
- Toll-like receptor 2 regulates CXC chemokine production and neutrophil recruitment to the cornea in Onchocerca volvulus/Wolbachia-induced keratitisIllona Gillette-Ferguson
Department of Ophthalmology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106 7286, USA
Infect Immun 75:5908-15. 2007The filarial nematode Onchocerca volvulus is the causative organism of river blindness...
- Successful vaccination against Onchocerca ochengi infestation in cattle using live Onchocerca volvulus infective larvaeM D Achukwi
Institute of Agricultural Research for Development, Wakwa Regional Centre, PO Box 65, Ngaoundere, Cameroon
Parasite Immunol 29:113-6. 2007..l. in sub-Saharan Africa could lead to the protection of humans against onchocerciasis caused by Onchocerca volvulus (zooprophylaxis). To gain support for this hypothesis, we investigated whether exposure to O...
- P-glycoprotein-like protein, a possible genetic marker for ivermectin resistance selection in Onchocerca volvulusCatherine Bourguinat
Institute of Parasitology, McGill University, 21 111 Lakeshore Road, Sainte Anne de Bellevue, Quebec, Canada H9X3V9
Mol Biochem Parasitol 158:101-11. 2008..A reduction in response to IVM in Onchocerca volvulus could have significant consequences for the onchocerciasis control programs...
- Ivermectin selection on beta-tubulin: evidence in Onchocerca volvulus and Haemonchus contortusJ K L Eng
Institute of Parasitology, McGill University, Sainte Anne-de-Bellevue, Quebec, Canada
Mol Biochem Parasitol 150:229-35. 2006..the only drug approved for mass administration to control onchocerciasis caused by the nematode parasite, Onchocerca volvulus. In parts of West Africa up to 18 rounds of ivermectin treatment have been administered to communities and ..
- The Onchocerciasis Control Programme in West Africa (OCP)B Boatin
UNICEF UNDP World Bank WHO Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases, 20 Avenue Appia, CH 1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 102:13-7. 2008..was initially based successfully interrupted the transmission of the parasite causing human onchocerciasis, Onchocerca volvulus, in many areas...
- Prenatal immune priming in onchocerciasis-onchocerca volvulus-specific cellular responsiveness and cytokine production in newborns from infected mothersP T Soboslay
Institute of Tropical Medicine, University of Tubingen, Germany
Clin Exp Immunol 117:130-7. 1999This study investigated the effect of maternal Onchocerca volvulus infection on humoral and cellular responsiveness in newborn children and their mothers...
- [Ivermectin]M Boussinesq
L Institut de Recherche pour le Développement IRD Département Sociétés et Santé, Paris, France
Med Trop (Mars) 65:69-79. 2005Initial clinical trials in 1980 showed that ivermectin was remarkably effective against Onchocerca volvulus. Some 25 years after more than 50 million people are treated annually with Mectizan mainly within the framework of the African ..
- Population dynamics of onchocerca volvulus microfilariae in human host after six years of drug controlK N Opara
Department of Zoology, University of Uyo, Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria
J Vector Borne Dis 45:29-37. 2008..The aim of this study was to evaluate the population dynamics (dispersion patterns, distribution, prevalence and intensity) of Onchocerca volvulus microfilariae in their human host after six years of ivermectin treatment.
- Impact of four years of large-scale ivermectin treatment with low therapeutic coverage on the transmission of Onchocerca volvulus in the Mbam valley focus, central CameroonS D S Pion
Laboratoire Mixte IRD CPC Institut de Recherche pour le Développement Centre Pasteur du Cameroun d Epidémiologie et de Santé Publique, Centre Pasteur du Cameroun, BP 1274, Yaounde, Cameroon
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 98:520-8. 2004..study suggest that the specific vectorial competence of Simulium squamosum cytotype B, the vector of Onchocerca volvulus in the Mbam valley, allows a significant decrease in onchocerciasis transmission after several years of ..
- A comparison of genetic polymorphism in populations of Onchocerca volvulus from untreated- and ivermectin-treated patientsJ K L Eng
Institute of Parasitology, McGill University, 21, 111 Lakeshore Road, Sainte Anne-de-Bellevue, Que, Canada H9X 3V9
Mol Biochem Parasitol 142:193-202. 2005An analysis of the polymorphism of 16 genes from Onchocerca volvulus was undertaken, in two populations of worms from either ivermectin-naÃ¯ve patients or patients who had been repeatedly treated with ivermectin, in Ghana...
- Evidence for macrofilaricidal activity of ivermectin against female Onchocerca volvulus: further analysis of a clinical trial in the Republic of Cameroon indicating two distinct killing mechanismsB O L Duke
River Blindness Foundation, 2 Hillside, Lancaster LA1 1YH, UK
Parasitology 130:447-53. 2005During a 3-year trial of the effects of ivermectin (Mectizan) on adult worms and microfilariae of Onchocerca volvulus in the Republic of Cameroon, comparison was made between the percentages of calcified and uncalcified moribund (M) and ..
- Onchocerciasis control: biological research is still neededM Boussinesq
Institut de Recherche pour le Developpement, UR 024, 911, Avenue Agropolis, BP 64501, 34394 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Parasite 15:510-4. 2008....
- Vector competence of Simulium oyapockense s.l. and S. incrustatum for Onchocerca volvulus: Implications for ivermectin-based control in the Amazonian focus of human onchocerciasis, a multi-vector-host systemMaría Eugenia Grillet
Laboratorio de Biologia de Vectores, Instituto de Zoologia Tropical, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad Central de Venezuela, Caracas, Venezuela
Acta Trop 107:80-9. 2008..We discuss the implications of our findings for the control and elimination of onchocerciasis with mass administration of ivermectin in this focus, where the three main anthropophagic species often co-occur...
- The life and times of ivermectin - a success storySatoshi Omura
Kitasato Institute, 5 9 1 Shirokane, Minato ku, Tokyo 108 8642, Japan
Nat Rev Microbiol 2:984-9. 2004..The drug is now being used, free of charge, in two global disease-elimination programmes that are benefiting millions of the world's poorest people...
- The effects of long-term community level treatment with ivermectin (Mectizan) on adult Onchocerca volvulus in Latin AmericaEddie W Cupp
Department of Entomology and Plant Pathology, Auburn University, Auburn, AL 36849 5413, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 71:602-7. 2004..collected over a one-year period (2001) to determine the effects of semi-annual ivermectin treatments on Onchocerca volvulus macrofilarial populations...
- Satoshi Omura: in pursuit of nature's bountyAndy Crump
Research Centre for Tropical Diseases, The Kitasato Institute, 5-9-1 Shirokane, Minato-ku, Tokyo 108-8642, Japan
Trends Parasitol 21:126-32. 2005..It has also improved the health of pets and livestock around the globe, and encouraged development of a community-based delivery mechanism that could herald a revolution in public health care in Africa...
- Prevalence of antibodies to onchocerca volvulus in residents of Oaxaca, Mexico, treated for 10 years with ivermectinAlberto Gómez-Priego
Laboratorio de Helmintos Tisulares, Instituto de Diagnostico y Referencia Epidemiologicos, Secretaria de Salud, Carpio 470, Santo Tomas, Miguel Hidalgo, México D F 11340
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 12:40-3. 2005Studies to determine the prevalence of antibodies to Onchocerca volvulus, prior to and after actions carried out to interrupt transmission, are scarce in Mexico...
- Spatial and temporal variation in biting rates and parasite transmission potentials of onchocerciasis vectors in EcuadorJ C Vieira
Programa de Control de Oncocercosis en Ecuador, , Calle Villalengua # 267 y 10 de Agosto, HCJB Casilla 17-17-691, Hospital Vozandes, Quito, Ecuador
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 99:178-95. 2005..We recommend protocols that may maximize detection of parasite transmission. Infection rates thus obtained must be linked with vector density estimates to assess meaningfully host exposure as treatment progresses...
- Rapid suppression of Onchocerca volvulus transmission in two communities of the Southern Chiapas focus, Mexico, achieved by quarterly treatments with MectizanMario A Rodríguez-Pérez
Centro de Biotecnología Genómica, Instituto Politecnico Nacional, Blvd Del Maestro esq Elias Piña, Cd Reynosa, Tamaulipas, Mexico
Am J Trop Med Hyg 79:239-44. 2008..The data suggest that Onchocerca volvulus transmission has been suppressed after elimination of microfiladermia in these two communities...
- Status of forest onchocerciasis in the Lower Cross River basin, Nigeria: entomologic profile after five years of ivermectin interventionKenneth N Opara
Department of Zoology, University of Uyo, Uyo, Nigeria
Am J Trop Med Hyg 73:371-6. 2005In the Lower Cross River basin in Nigeria, no pre-control entomologic profile of Onchocerca volvulus infection in the local Simulium damnosum population was available prior to the initiation of an ivermectin control program in 1995...
- [Molecular approaches to the control of onchocerciasis in Mexico]Mario A Rodríguez-Pérez
Centro de Biotecnología Genómica, Instituto Politecnico Nacional, Reynosa, Tamaulipas
Rev Latinoam Microbiol 47:112-29. 2005..is by the detection of microfilariae by skin biopsy and transmission is evaluated by detection of Onchocerca volvulus larvae in the vector. Classically, this was carried out by manual dissection of Simuliumn ochraceun s.l...
- [Vector capacities of Similium damsnosum s.l and risk for Onchocerca volvulus transmission in Inga (Democratic Republic of Congo)]Soungalo Traoré
African Programme for Onchocerciasis Control APOC, P O Box 549, Ouagadougou 01 Burkina Faso
Sante 16:77-82. 2006..The vector capacity of similium shows that the risk of transmission of Onchocerca volvulus to the human population was not only reduced in time (2-3 months), but was also negligible all year round.
- Recent updates on onchocerciasis: diagnosis and treatmentDon N Udall
University of California San Diego, Dermatology Clinical Trials Unit, La Jolla, CA 92037 1300, USA
Clin Infect Dis 44:53-60. 2007Recent progress in onchocerciasis research has led to improved understanding of the immunopathology of Onchocerca volvulus, as well as improvements in diagnosis and treatment of this morbid disease...
- Control of onchocerciasisBoakye A Boatin
TDR, World Health Organization, CH-1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland
Adv Parasitol 61:349-94. 2006..A search for a second-line treatment or as an additional drug to ivermectin as well as a search for a macrofilaricide are issues that need to be addressed in the future...
- Towards the elimination of onchocerciasisB Thylefors
The Mectizan Donation Program, 750 Commerce Drive, Suite 400, Decatur, GA 30030, USA
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 100:733-46. 2006..Research is needed to define the optimal approaches with the existing tools and to intensify the development of alternative strategies, such as macrofilaricidal drugs for wide-scale use...
- Transmission of Onchocerca volvulus and prospects for the elimination of its vector, the blackfly Simulium neavei in the Mpamba-Nkusi focus in Western UgandaT L Lakwo
Vector Control Division, Ministry of Health, Kampala, Uganda
Med Vet Entomol 20:93-101. 2006The transmission of Onchocerca volvulus Leuckart (Spirudida: Onchocercidae) and the prospects of Simulium neavei Roubaud (Diptera: Simuliidae) vector elimination through ground larviciding were investigated in the Mpamba-Nkusi focus, ..
- [African Program for Onchocerciasis Control (APOC): Onchocerca volvulus transmission by Simulium damnosum s. l. in two regions of the Central African Republic]P Enyong
Tropical Medicine Research Station, Kumba, Cameroon
Parasite 13:35-44. 2006..However, some of the infective larvae found, maybe of animal origin, need identification to better determine the real level of endemicity...
- Reduction in the prevalence and intensity of infection in Onchocerca volvulus microfilariae according to ethnicity and community after 8 years of ivermectin treatment on the island of Bioko, Equatorial GuineaJ Mas
Departament de Microbiologia i Parasitologia Sanitaries, Universitat de Barcelona Hospital Clinic, C Casanova 146, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Trop Med Int Health 11:1082-91. 2006..to evaluate the impact of 8 years of vertical ivermectin distribution on the prevalence and intensity of Onchocerca volvulus infection in the rural population by means of pre- (1989) and post-long term treatment (1998) ..
- Onchocerca volvulus-specific antibody and cytokine responses in onchocerciasis patients after 16 years of repeated ivermectin therapyC S Mai
Institute for Tropical Medicine, University of Tubingen, Tubingen, Germany
Clin Exp Immunol 147:504-12. 2007..for decades, and it remains unknown how repeated ivermectin therapy might affect immunity against Onchocerca volvulus in the long term. O...
- Rapid assessment method for prevalence and intensity of Loa loa infectionInnocent Takougang
Department of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University of Yaounde I, Yaounde, Cameroon
Bull World Health Organ 80:852-8. 2002..To assess the validity of observations on eye worm and Calabar swellings for the rapid assessment of the prevalence and intensity of loiasis at the community level...
- Reduced genetic variation of an Onchocerca volvulus ABC transporter gene following treatment with ivermectinB F Ardelli
Institute of Parasitology, Macdonald Campus, McGill University, 21 111 Lakeshore Road, Ste Anne de Bellevue, Quebec H9X 3V9, Canada
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 101:1223-32. 2007..Genetic variation of an Onchocerca volvulus ABC transporter homologue (OvABC-3) from several populations in Africa was examined to determine whether an ..
- Onchocerciasis-associated limb swelling in a traveler returning from CameroonKhaled Ezzedine
Department of Dermatology, University Hospital Center, , Brussels, Belgium
J Travel Med 13:50-3. 2006Travelers to West Central Africa are at risk for infection with Onchocerca volvulus. We describe the case of an adventurous traveler who became infected with O volvulus after a 10-day stay in rural Cameroon...
- No depletion of Wolbachia from Onchocerca volvulus after a short course of rifampin and/or azithromycinFrank O Richards
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 77:878-82. 2007Endosymbionic Wolbachia bacteria inside adult Onchocerca volvulus worms (causing river blindness) are necessary for female worm fertility. We evaluated whether rifampin and/or azithromycin used in a five-day course could kill Wolbachia...
- Genetic polymorphism of the beta-tubulin gene of Onchocerca volvulus in ivermectin naÃ¯ve patients from Cameroon, and its relationship with fertility of the wormsC Bourguinat
Institute of Parasitology, McGill University, Sainte Anne-de-Bellevue, Quebec, Canada H9X3V9
Parasitology 132:255-62. 2006Observations of low response of patients infected with Onchocerca volvulus to ivermectin suggest that the parasite may be under a selection process toward potential resistance...
- Evidence for suppression of Onchocerca volvulus transmission in the Oaxaca focus in MexicoMario A Rodríguez-Pérez
Centro de Biotecnología Genómica, Instituto Politecnico Nacional, Boulevard del Maestro Esquina Elías Piña, Col Narciso Mendoza, Reynosa, Tamaulipas, Mexico
Am J Trop Med Hyg 78:147-52. 2008..in the Oaxaca focus in southern Mexico to assess the level of transmission and exposure incidence to Onchocerca volvulus. All communities have been receiving ivermectin mass treatment twice per year since 1997...
- Microfilarial distribution of Loa loa in the human host: population dynamics and epidemiological implicationsS D S Pion
Laboratoire mixte IRD Institut de Recherche pour le Développement CPC Centre Pasteur du Cameroun d Epidémiologie et de Santé publique, Centre Pasteur du Cameroun, BP 1274, Yaounde, Cameroun
Parasitology 133:101-9. 2006..loa in relation to that of Onchocerca volvulus and predict the prevalence of heavy infections...
- Identification of variant ABC-transporter genes among Onchocerca volvulus collected from ivermectin-treated and untreated patients in Ghana, West AfricaB F Ardelli
Institute of Parasitology, McGill University, 21-111 Lakeshore Road, Ste. Anne de Bellevue, Quebec H9X 3V9, Canada
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 98:371-84. 2004..The genetic variation of four ABC-transporter homologues from Onchocerca volvulus was therefore investigated, to determine if any change in genetic polymorphism occurs in these genes ..
- Combined benefits of annual mass treatment with ivermectin and cattle zooprophylaxis on the severity of human onchocerciasis in northern CameroonR Seidenfaden
Department of Parasitology, Zoological Institute, University of Hohenheim, Stuttgart, Germany
Trop Med Int Health 6:715-25. 2001..the effect of 10 annual distributions of ivermectin for control of human onchocerciasis on the reduction of Onchocerca volvulus transmission by Simulium vector flies...
- Entomological evaluation by pool screen polymerase chain reaction of Onchocerca volvulus transmission in Ecuador following mass Mectizan distributionAngel G Guevara
Laboratory of Clinical Investigation, Community Services Vozandes, Quito, Ecuador
Am J Trop Med Hyg 68:222-7. 2003..exiguum is a more-competent vector for Onchocerca volvulus than S. quadrivittatum...
- Immune responses directed against microfilariae correlate with severity of clinical onchodermatitis and treatment historyMagdi M Ali
Tropical Medicine Research Institute, University of Khartoum, Sudan
J Infect Dis 187:714-7. 2003The induction of pathological changes in Onchocerca volvulus infections is directly related to the presence of the microfilarial stage of this filarial nematode. Patients with either of the 2 major forms of the clinical disease (i.e...
- Transmission intensity and the patterns of Onchocerca volvulus infection in human communitiesMaria Gloria Basanez
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Imperial College School of Medicine, St Mary s Campus, London, United Kingdom
Am J Trop Med Hyg 67:669-79. 2002We focus on possible constraints upon Onchocerca volvulus establishment in humans in relation to exposure rates to infective larvae (L3) as measured by the annual transmission potential (ATP)...
- Macrofilaricides and onchocerciasis control, mathematical modelling of the prospects for eliminationW S Alley
Onchocerciasis Control Programme, World Health Organization, Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
BMC Public Health 1:12. 2001..In view of the impact of control efforts preceding the introduction of macrofilaricides on the success of elimination, it is important to sustain current control efforts...
- Neoplastic change in Onchocerca volvulus and its relation to ivermectin treatmentB O L Duke
River Blindness Foundation, Lancaster, UK
Parasitology 125:431-44. 2002A pleomorphic neoplasm (PN) is described from sections of Onchocerca volvulus worms in nodules excised from Cameroonian patients. PN is confined to older, non-fecund, female worms, and those classed as moribund/dead...
- Immunocompetence may be important in the effectiveness of Mectizan (ivermectin) in the treatment of human onchocerciasisMagdi M M Ali
Tropical Medicine Research Institute, National Center for Research, Khartoum, Sudan
Acta Trop 84:49-53. 2002..The reason for the reduced ability of Mectizan to maintain low levels of dermal microfilariae and early recurrent pruritus can only be speculated upon. Here, we report our own findings to address this particular issue...
- Onchocerciasis in West Africa after 2002: a challenge to take upJ M Hougard
Parasite 9:105-11. 2002..the control of this filariasis is not over because OCP never aimed at eradication, neither of the parasite (Onchocerca volvulus), nor of its vector (Simulium damnosum s.l.)...
- The Role of Wolbachia Endobacteria in River BlindnessEric Pearlman; Fiscal Year: 2007..are essential symbionts of the major pathogenic filarial nematode parasites of humans, including the Onchocerca volvulus, which causes river blindness...
- The Role of Wolbachia Endobacteria in River BlindnessEric Pearlman; Fiscal Year: 2007..are essential symbionts of the major pathogenic filarial nematode parasites of humans, including the Onchocerca volvulus, which causes river blindness...
- The molecular basis of bacteria-host interaction Drosophila melanogasterLAURA SERBUS; Fiscal Year: 2007..Wolbachia have recently been shown cause blindness in humans upon release from their nematode host Onchocerca volvulus. Wolbachia have also been shown to infect the well-established model organism Drosophila melanogaster...
- EOSINOPHILS IN ONCHOCERCA VOLVULUS-MEDIATED KERATITISEric Pearlman; Fiscal Year: 2000..These studies are intended to enhance the understanding of the immunopathology of onchocercal keratitis and other eosinophil mediated forms of keratitis. ..
- Spacial modeling of onchocerciasis foci in Africa by remote sensingThomas R Unnasch; Fiscal Year: 2010Onchocerciasis is a debilitating disease caused by infection with the parasite Onchocerca volvulus. The public health importance of onchocerciasis has been recognized by the international community, which has sponsored several programs ..
- NEUTROPHILS AND EOSINOPHILS IN ONCHOCERCA KERATITISEric Pearlman; Fiscal Year: 2003..for immune-complex mediated recruitment of neutrophils and eosinophils to the cornea in a murine model for Onchocerca volvulus keratitis (river blindness). The proposed studies will assess the role of C5a, and...
- CYSTEINE PROTEASES & INHIBITORS IN NEMATODE DEVELOPMENTSara Lustigman; Fiscal Year: 2005..This will provide the basis for developing effective drugs, targeting cysteine proteases, to control onchocerciasis and filariasis in the future. ..
- The development of a recombinant vaccine against human onchocerciasisSara Lustigman; Fiscal Year: 2010Human onchocerciasis is a serious neglected tropical disease caused by Onchocerca volvulus (Ov) and an important cause of blindness and chronic disability in the developing world...
- A Helminth-Derived Immune Potentiator for BiodefenseSara Lustigman; Fiscal Year: 2006..immune mechanisms initiated in mice by a strongly immunostimulant protein cloned from the human parasite, Onchocerca volvulus. In our proof-of-principle studies, the LPS-free recombinant O...
- The development of a recombinant vaccine against human onchocerciasisSara Lustigman; Fiscal Year: 2009Human onchocerciasis is a serious neglected tropical disease caused by Onchocerca volvulus (Ov) and an important cause of blindness and chronic disability in the developing world...
- PROTECTIVE IMMUNITY IN HUMANS AGAINST O VOLVULUS LARVAESara Lustigman; Fiscal Year: 2001An estimated 18 millions are infected with Onchocerca volvulus which will result in visual impairment in one million and blindness in more than 400,000...
- Host Defense in Oral CandidiasisAmy G Hise; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- HOOKWORM LARVAL INFECTIVITY AND DEVELOPMENTPeter Hotez; Fiscal Year: 2002..The pharmacologic manipulation of parasite-derived protein kinases may offer a new approach to chemotherapy by taking larvae out of arrest. ..
- Host Defense in Oral CandidiasisAMY HISE; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Innate immune responses in lymphatic filariasisAMY HISE; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Host Defense in Oral CandidiasisAMY HISE; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- ROLE OF EOSINOPHILS IN IMMUNITY TO S STERCORALISDavid Abraham; Fiscal Year: 2005..stercoralis and in addition we will determine the role of these cells in the transition from the innate to the adaptive immune response to this infection. ..
- Research for the Elimination of Lymphatic FilariasisGary Weil; Fiscal Year: 2007..Lessons learned in Egypt will benefit PELFs around the world. ..