Genomes and Genes
Summary: A general name for small, wingless, parasitic insects, previously of the order Phthiraptera. Though exact taxonomy is still controversial, they can be grouped in the orders ANOPLURA (sucking lice), MALLOPHAGA (biting lice), and Rhynchophthirina (elephant-lice).
Publications206 found, 100 shown here
- Critical evaluation of five methods for quantifying chewing lice (Insecta: Phthiraptera)D H Clayton
Department of Biology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City 84112-0840, USA
J Parasitol 87:1291-300. 2001Five methods for estimating the abundance of chewing lice (Insecta: Phthiraptera) were tested. To evaluate the methods, feral pigeons (Columba livia) and 2 species of ischnoceran lice were used...
- Supergroup F Wolbachia bacteria parasitise lice (Insecta: Phthiraptera)Catherine Covacin
Parasitology Section, School of Molecular and Microbial Sciences, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Parasitol Res 100:479-85. 2007We studied six species of lice from three of the four suborders of lice. These lice were infected with Wolbachia bacteria from supergroups A and F. This is the first report of an infection of supergroup F Wolbachia in lice...
- Fossil Liposcelididae and the lice ages (Insecta: Psocodea)David Grimaldi
Department of Entomology American Museum of Natural History Central Park West at 79th Street, New York 10024 5192, USA
Proc Biol Sci 273:625-33. 2006..is an extinct sister group to all other Liposcelididae and the family is the free-living sister group to the true lice (order Phthiraptera, all of which are ectoparasites of birds and mammals)...
- A hitchhiker's guide to parasite transmission: The phoretic behaviour of feather liceChristopher W Harbison
Department of Biology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Int J Parasitol 39:569-75. 2009..For example, feather-feeding lice that parasitise birds disperse to new hosts by hitchhiking on parasitic louse flies, which fly between individual ..
- In vitro screening of anti-lice activity of Pongamia pinnata leavesJohn Samuel Anbu Jeba Sunilson
School of Pharmacy, Masterskill University College of Health Sciences, Taman Kemacahaya 11, Jalan Kemacahaya, Cheras, Selangor, Malaysia
Korean J Parasitol 47:377-80. 2009..of pediculocidal drug resistance towards head louse laid the foundation for research in exploring novel anti-lice agents from medicinal plants...
- Descriptions of eight new species of feather lice in the genus Columbicola (Phthiraptera: Philopteridae), with a comprehensive world checklistSarah E Bush
Natural History Museum, University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas 66045 7163, USA
J Parasitol 95:286-94. 2009Eight new species of lice in the genus Columbicola Ewing are described: C. harbisoni (type host: Phaps histrionica (Gould)), C. koopae (type host: Geophaps scripta (Temminck)), C...
- Differences in straggling rates between two genera of dove lice (Insecta: Phthiraptera) reinforce population genetic and cophylogenetic patternsNoah Kerness Whiteman
Department of Biology, International Center for Tropical Ecology, University of Missouri Saint Louis, Research Building 223, 8001 Natural Bridge Road, Saint Louis, MO 63121, USA
Int J Parasitol 34:1113-9. 2004..abilities have been implicated for causing disparate evolutionary patterns between Columbicola and Physconelloides lice (Insecta: Phthiraptera)...
- Development of a paw paw herbal shampoo for the removal of head liceC M McCage
Nature s Sunshine Products, Spanish Fork, Utah 84660, USA
Phytomedicine 9:743-8. 2002The development and clinical testing of an herbal lice removal shampoo, containing a standardized extract of paw paw, thymol, and tea tree oil, are described...
- Parasite biodiversity and host defenses: chewing lice and immune response of their avian hostsAnders Pape Møller
Laboratoire de Parasitologie Evolutive, CNRS UMR 7103, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Bat A, 7eme etage, 7 quai St Bernard, Case 237, 75252 Paris Cedex 05, France
Oecologia 142:169-76. 2005..While Amblyceran lice tend to occur in contact with host skin, feed on host skin and chew emerging tips of developing feathers to obtain ..
- Real-time PCR duplex assay for Rickettsia prowazekii and Borrelia recurrentisJu Jiang
Naval Medical Research Center, Silver Spring, Maryland 20910 7500, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 990:302-10. 2003..duttonii, B. coriaceae, B. afzelii, B. garinii, B. hermsii, or B. burgdorferi nucleic acid. Both assays detected repeatedly only R. prowazekii or B. recurrentis either when tested alone or together in one test tube...
- Extraordinary number of gene rearrangements in the mitochondrial genomes of lice (Phthiraptera: Insecta)C Covacin
Parasitology Section, School of Molecular and Microbial Sciences, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Insect Mol Biol 15:63-8. 2006..of the small pigeon louse, Campanulotes bidentatus compar, and part of the mt genomes of nine other species of lice. These species were from six families and the three main suborders of the order Phthiraptera...
- Ectoparasitic species from Canis familiaris (Linné) in Buenos Aires province, ArgentinaAlda González
Facultad de Ciencias Naturales y Museo, CEPAVE, UNLP, Calle 2 No 584, 1900 La Plata, Argentina
Vet Parasitol 120:123-9. 2004..The prevalence of fleas, ticks and lice was analyzed, as well as their seasonal variations through the different sites studied...
- Host specialization differentiates cryptic species of feather-feeding liceJael R Malenke
Department of Biology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84112, USA
Evolution 63:1427-38. 2009..In addition, we were able to morphologically separate individual lice from the two experimental lineages using discriminant function analysis...
- Multiple cophylogenetic analyses reveal frequent cospeciation between pelecaniform birds and Pectinopygus liceJoseph Hughes
Department of Environmental and Evolutionary Biology, University of Glasgow, UK
Syst Biol 56:232-51. 2007b>Lice in the genus Pectinopygus parasitize a single order of birds (Pelecaniformes)...
- Molecular evidence for polyphyletic origin of the primary symbionts of sucking lice (phthiraptera, anoplura)Václav Hypsa
Faculty of Biological Sciences, Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic
Microb Ecol 54:242-51. 2007Based on 16S rDNA analyses, the primary symbionts of sucking lice were found to form a polyphyletic assemblage of several distant lineages that have arisen several times within Enterobacteriaceae and at least once within Legionellaceae...
- Prevalence and regional distribution of scab, lice and blowfly strike in Great BritainB Bisdorff
Insect Ecology and Veterinary Parasitology Group, School of Biological Sciences, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 1UG
Vet Rec 158:749-52. 2006..Overall, 9 per cent of the farmers reported at least one outbreak of scab, 10.7 per cent reported an outbreak of lice and 75 per cent reported at least one case of blowfly strike. A mean of 1...
- Phylogenetic analysis of partial sequences of elongation factor 1alpha identifies major groups of lice (Insecta: Phthiraptera)R H Cruickshank
Division of Environmental and Evolutionary Biology, Institute of Biomedical and Life Sciences, University of Glasgow, Graham Kerr Building, Glasgow, G12 8QQ, United Kingdom
Mol Phylogenet Evol 19:202-15. 2001As a first attempt to use molecular data to resolve the relationships between the four suborders of lice and within the suborder Ischnocera, we sequenced a 347-bp fragment of the elongation factor 1alpha gene of 127 lice (Insecta: ..
- The louse-borne human pathogen Bartonella quintana is a genomic derivative of the zoonotic agent Bartonella henselaeCecilia M Alsmark
Department of Molecular Evolution, Evolutionary Biology Center, Uppsala University, and Department of Medical Sciences, Uppsala University Hospital, Sweden
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:9716-21. 2004....
- A new ivermectin formulation topically kills permethrin-resistant human head lice (Anoplura: Pediculidae)Joseph P Strycharz
Department of Veterinary and Animal Science, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003, USA
J Med Entomol 45:75-81. 2008..Permethrin-resistant lice originally obtained from south Florida and maintained on an in vitro rearing system were 100% susceptible to ..
- Identification of a Bartonella species in the harbor seal (Phoca vitulina) and in seal lice (Echinophtirius horridus)Danny Morick
Koret School of Veterinary Medicine, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Rehovot, Israel
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 9:751-3. 2009To explore whether harbor seals (Phoca vitulina) are exposed to Bartonella spp., 35 seal lice (Echinophtirius horridus) were collected from seven seals, during their rehabilitation period in the Seal Rehabilitation and Research Center at ..
- Dramatically elevated rate of mitochondrial substitution in lice (Insecta: Phthiraptera)Kevin P Johnson
Illinois Natural History Survey, 607 East Peabody Drive, Champaign 61820, USA
Mol Phylogenet Evol 26:231-42. 2003..rates of substitution, which incorporate multiple substitutions, and apply these methods to a group of insects (lice, Order: Phthiraptera)...
- The prevalence of lice infesting students of primary, preparatory and secondary schools in Cairo, EgyptT A Morsy
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, Ain Shams University, Cairo 11566, Egypt
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 31:43-50. 2001Human lice (head and body) are among the arthropod-ectoparasites of worldwide distribution. Examining students in primary, preparatory and secondary schools recorded prevalence rates of 21.86%, 30.38% and 12.94% respectively...
- Multiple origins of parasitism in liceKevin P Johnson
Illinois Natural History Survey, 607 East Peabody Drive, Champaign, IL 61820, USA
Proc Biol Sci 271:1771-6. 2004..Understanding this diversity requires information on the origin of parasitism in various insect groups. Parasitic lice (Phthiraptera) are the only major group of insects in which all members are permanent parasites of birds or mammals...
- Jail fever (epidemic typhus) outbreak in BurundiD Raoult
, , Marsaille, France
Emerg Infect Dis 3:357-60. 1997..We also amplified and sequenced from lice gene portions specific for two R...
- A new shampoo based on neem (Azadirachta indica) is highly effective against head lice in vitroJorg Heukelbach
Department of Community Health, School of Medicine, Federal University of Ceara, Fortaleza, Brazil
Parasitol Res 99:353-6. 2006Because topical compounds based on insecticidal chemicals are the mainstay of head lice treatment, but resistance is increasing, alternatives, such as herbs and oils are being sold to treat head lice...
- The body louse as a vector of reemerging human diseasesD Raoult
Universite de la Mediterranee, Faculte de Medecine, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Unité Propre de Recherche de l Enseignement Superieur Associée 6020, Marseille, France
Clin Infect Dis 29:888-911. 1999..A small outbreak was also reported in Russia in 1997. Louse infestation appears to become more prevalent worldwide, associated with a decline in social and hygienic conditions provoked by civil unrest and economic instability...
- Seabird and louse coevolution: complex histories revealed by 12S rRNA sequences and reconciliation analysesA M Paterson
Ecology and Entomology Group, Lincoln University, P O Box 84, Lincoln, New Zealand
Syst Biol 49:383-99. 2000We investigated the coevolutionary history of seabirds (orders Procellariiformes and Sphenisciformes) and their lice (order Phthiraptera)...
- Correlated evolution of host and parasite body size: tests of Harrison's rule using birds and liceKevin P Johnson
Illinois Natural History Survey, Champaign 61820, USA
Evolution 59:1744-53. 2005..We used phylogenetically independent methods to test for Harrison's rule across a large assemblage of bird lice (Insecta: Phthiraptera)...
- Multiple origins of parasitism in lice: phylogenetic analysis of SSU rDNA indicates that the Phthiraptera and Psocoptera are not monophyleticAnna Murrell
Department of Microbiology and Parasitology, Parasitology Section, School of Molecular and Microbial Sciences, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, 4072, Australia
Parasitol Res 97:274-80. 2005..The Paraneoptera (Hemipteroid Assemblage) comprises the orders Thysanoptera (thrips), Hemiptera (bugs), Phthiraptera (lice) and Psocoptera (booklice and barklice)...
- Pubic lice (Pthirus pubis): history, biology and treatment vs. knowledge and beliefs of US college studentsAlice L Anderson
Carol Belk Building, Department of Health Education and Promotion, Environmental Health Program, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC 27858, USA
Int J Environ Res Public Health 6:592-600. 2009Pubic lice (Pthirus pubis) maintain a worldwide parasitic population infesting two to over 10 percent of human populations, continuing a presence that has been constant since early evidence 10,000 years ago...
- A survey of bacterial diversity in ticks, lice and fleas from AustraliaAnna Murrell
Department of Microbiology and Parasitology and Institute for Molecular Bioscience, ARC Special Research Centre for Functional and Applied Genomics, University of Queensland, Brisbane, 4072 QLD, Australia
Parasitol Res 89:326-34. 2003We isolated bacteria from ticks, lice and fleas. Partial small subunit rRNA sequences were obtained for each isolate and the closest matches in the FastA database were determined...
- Grooming site preferences determined by lice infection among Japanese macaques in ArashiyamaKoichiro Zamma
Laboratory of Human Evolution Studies, Department of Zoology, Graduate School of Science, Kyoto University, Kitashirakawa Oiwake cho, Sakyo, Japan
Primates 43:41-9. 2002..Thus, the ecology of lice might affect grooming behavior of Japanese macaques...
- Bartonella and Rickettsia in fleas and lice from mammals in South Carolina, U.S.AWill K Reeves
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Viral and Rickettsial Zoonoses Branch, Mailstop G 13, 1600 Clifton Rd NE, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Vector Ecol 30:310-5. 2005..Thirteen species of lice and fleas were collected from urban animals and screened for the presence of Bartonella and Rickettsia by PCR ..
- Effectiveness of ovide against malathion-resistant head liceAnthony M R Downs
Arch Dermatol 141:1318. 2005
- The population genetics of host specificity: genetic differentiation in dove lice (Insecta: Phthiraptera)Kevin P Johnson
Illinois Natural History Survey, Champaign, IL 61820, USA
Mol Ecol 11:25-38. 2002..this study we examined the genetic structure in the mitochondrial cytochrome oxidase I (COI) gene of two genera of lice (Insecta: Phthiraptera) occurring on multiple sympatric species of doves in southern North and Central America...
- Different genes govern Yersinia pestis pathogenicity in Caenorhabditis elegans and human liceLinda Houhamdi
Unite des Rickettsies, Faculte de Medecine, Institut Federatif de Recherche 48, Centre National de Recherche Scientifique, Unite Mixte de Recherche 6020, Universite de la Mediterranee, 27, Boulevard Jean Moulin, 13385 Marseille Cedex 5, France
Microb Pathog 44:435-7. 2008To assess the role of virulence factors identified in Caenorhabditis elegans in the transmission of plague by lice, we infected 100 lice by feeding them on rabbits and made them bacteremic; the rabbits had been intravenously inoculated ..
- Typing African relapsing fever spirochetesJulie Christine Scott
Department of Cellular and Molecular Biology, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, South Kensington, London, United Kingdom
Emerg Infect Dis 11:1722-9. 2005..and a unique clade, distant from those associated with relapsing fever, possibly equivalent to a novel species in ticks from this region. Clinical significance of this spirochete is undetermined...
- Prevalence and population structure of lice (Phthiraptera) on the Indian Red AvadavatNidhi Gupta
Department of Zoology, Government Raza Postgraduate College, Rampur, India
Zoolog Sci 24:381-3. 2007..amandava. Adults dominated over nymphs in the overall adult-to-nymph ratio. Sex ratios of both species were skewed (female biased)...
- Reduced taxonomic richness of lice (Insecta: Phthiraptera) in diving birdsB Felsõ
Zoological Institute, Faculty of Veterinary Science, Szent Istvan University, Budapest, Rottenbiller st 50, H 1078 Hungary
J Parasitol 92:867-9. 2006Avian lice occupy different habitats in the host plumage that the physical environment outside the host body may affect in several ways. Interactions between host plumage and water may be an important source of such effects...
- Reinterpreting the origins of flamingo lice: cospeciation or host-switching?Kevin P Johnson
Illinois Natural History Survey, 1816 South Oak Street, Champaign, IL 61820, USA
Biol Lett 2:275-8. 2006..Recent unexpected phylogenetic results on the relationships of waterbirds and their lice call for a reinterpretation of the origins of the lice of the enigmatic flamingos...
- An experimental model of human body louse infection with Rickettsia typhiLinda Houhamdi
Unite des Rickettsies, IFR 48 CNRS UMR 6020, Université de la Méditerranée Faculté de Médecine, 13385 Marseilles Cedex 5, France
Ann N Y Acad Sci 990:617-27. 2003..typhi; it remained bacteremic for at least 59 hours. Two hundred body lice infected by feeding on the bacteremic rabbit were compared to 200 uninfected control lice...
- What's in a name: the taxonomic status of human head and body liceJessica E Light
Florida Museum of Natural History, University of Florida, Dickinson Hall, PO Box 117800, Gainesville, FL 32611 7800, USA
Mol Phylogenet Evol 47:1203-16. 2008Human head lice (Anoplura: Pediculidae: Pediculus) are pandemic, parasitizing countless school children worldwide due to the evolution of insecticide resistance, and human body (clothing) lice are responsible for the deaths of millions as ..
- Clinical presentation of louse-borne relapsing fever among Ethiopian refugees in northern SomaliaV Brown
, Paris, France
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 82:499-502. 1988..The clinical picture was less severe than in previous studies on LBRF. This difference might be due to the fact that the present study was community-based as opposed to the previous studies which were hospital-based...
- Lice infestation and lice control remedies in the UkraineI Kurhanova
L viv Research Institute of Epidemiology and Hygiene, Zelena St, 12 L viv, Ukraine
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1078:357-60. 2006A permanent decrease was seen in the prevalence of lice infestation among population of the Ukraine from 1990-2004. The prevalence of lice infestation among children under 14 years of age was 6-27 times more than that in adults...
- Apes, lice and prehistoryRobin A Weiss
University College London, UK
J Biol 8:20. 2009..Such infidelity may account for the survival of certain types of human lice, and it is currently exemplified by viruses such as HIV.
- The addition of tretinoin to permethrin, pyrethrins, and DDT for production of powerful anti-lice agentsM R Namazi
Med Hypotheses 65:992. 2005
- North Spain (Burgos) wild mammals ectoparasitesG Dominguez
Servicio Veterinario Oficial de Salud Pública, Centro de Salud, 09572 Soncillo, Burgos, Spain
Parasite 11:267-72. 2004..8%) harboured some ectoparasites. Ticks were found in 60% of the samples, fleas in 51.4%, chewing-lice in 3.8%, and others (Mesostigmata and hippoboscids) in 3.8%. Moreover, 42.5% were single infestation and 57...
- Preventing parasites in catsMichael W Dryden
Department of Diagnostic Medicine and Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS 66506, USA
Vet Ther 6:260-7. 2005....
- Clinical efficacy of selamectin in the treatment of naturally acquired infection of sucking lice (Linognathus setosus) in dogsLotta Gunnarsson
Department of Parasitology, National Veterinary Institute, Uppsala, Sweden
J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 41:388-94. 2005..in 21 dogs to evaluate the efficacy of selamectin for the treatment of naturally acquired infection of sucking lice (Linognathus setosus [L.setosus]) in dogs. Each dog was randomly assigned to one of two treatment groups...
- Arthropods (Acari, Siphonaptera, Heteroptera, Psocoptera) associated with Nyctalus noctula (Schreber, 1774) (Chiroptera: Vespertilionidae) in Southern PolandRyszard Haitlinger
Department of Zoology and Ecology, Wrocław University of Environmental and Life Sciences, Kozuchowska 5b, 51 630 Wrocław, Poland
Wiad Parazytol 54:123-30. 2008..From 101 specimens of Nyctalus noctula collected in Southern Poland during winter, 2637 arthropods of 13 species were obtained: Siphonaptera (3 species), Acari (8 species), Heteroptera (one species) and one specimen of Psocoptera...
- Patterns of parasite abundance and distribution in island populations of Galápagos endemic birdsDiego Santiago-Alarcon
Department of Biology, University of Missouri St Louis and Whitney R Harris World Ecology Center, St Louis, Missouri 63121, USA
J Parasitol 94:584-90. 2008..We used analyses of variance to estimate the variability of intensity, prevalence, and abundance of 4 species of lice (Insecta: Phthiraptera) infecting Galápagos doves and Galápagos hawks and 1 haemosporidian parasite (Haemosporida:..
- Comparison of two partial least squares infrared spectrometric methods for the quality control of pediculosis lotionsJ Moros
Analytical Chemistry Department, University of Valencia, 50 Dr Moliner Street, 46100 Burjassot, Valencia, Spain
Anal Chim Acta 582:174-80. 2007..Results found for commercial samples compared well with those obtained by a liquid chromatography reference method that evidenced the applicability of the proposed strategy for the analysis of commercial formulations...
- Natural infestation of the chewing lice (Werneckiella equi) on horses and treatment with imidacloprid and phoximN Mencke
Animal Health Division, Bayer Health Care AG, 51368 Leverkusen, Germany
Parasitol Res 94:367-70. 2004..At the final evaluation on day 28, complete control of the lice was obtained for the imidacloprid treated horses and only a single moribund louse was found on two horses treated ..
- Geographical structuring of feather mite assemblages from the Australian brush-turkey (Aves: Megapodiidae)Heather C Proctor
Australian School of Environmental Studies, Griffith University, Nathan 4111, Queensland, Australia
J Parasitol 90:60-6. 2004..We studied feather mites and lice from Australian brush-turkeys (Aves: Megapodiidae: Alectura lathami) and expected to observe geographical ..
- Ectoparasites of Chevrier's field mouse, Apodemus chevrieri, in a focus of plague in southwest ChinaM Xing-Yuan
Department of Biology and Genetics, Shantou University, Shantou, Guangdong Province, China
Med Vet Entomol 21:297-300. 2007..Apodemus chevrieri would appear therefore to be a natural reservoir for plague bacilli and epidemic haemorrhagic fever (Korean haemorrhagic fever) viruses...
- World Association for the Advancement of Veterinary Parasitology (W.A.A.V.P.) guidelines for evaluating the efficacy of ectoparasiticides against biting lice, sucking lice and sheep keds on ruminantsP A Holdsworth
Avcare Limited, Locked Bag 916, Canberra, 2601 ACT, Australia
Vet Parasitol 136:45-54. 2006..and interpretation of studies for the assessment of the efficacy of ectoparasiticides against biting and sucking lice and sheep keds on ruminants...
- New record of Afrimenopon waar (Eichler) (Phthiraptera: Menoponidae) from budgerigar Melopsittacus undulatus (Psittaciformes: Psittacidae) from Karachi, PakistanOldrich Sychra
Department of Biology and Wildlife Diseases, University of Veterinary and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Palackeho 1 3, 61242 Brno, Czech Republic
Parasitol Res 101:505-9. 2007Chewing lice of the species Afrimenopon waar (Eichler) were collected from captive budgerigar Melopsittacus undulatus (Shaw) in Pakistan. This is the first record of amblyceran lice from this host...
- Agitation, pruritus, and ectoparasites on a rat and a mouseWieland Beck
Institute for Comparative Tropical Medicine and Parasitology, Ludwig Maximilians University Munich, Leopoldstrasse 5, D80802 Munich, Germany
Lab Anim (NY) 36:17-9. 2007
- Wild turkey (Meleagris gallopavo) as a host of ixodid ticks, lice, and Lyme disease spirochetes (Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato) in California state parksRobert S Lane
Department of Environmental Science, Policy and Management, 137 Mulford Hall, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720, USA
J Wildl Dis 42:759-71. 2006Rio Grande wild turkeys (Meleagris gallopavo intermedia) were evaluated as potential hosts of ixodid ticks, lice, and Lyme disease spirochetes (Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato [s.l...
- Reconsideration of the longiceps species group of the feather louse genus Columbicola (Phthiraptera: Philopteridae) with descriptions of two new speciesSarah E Bush
Natural History Museum, University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas 66045 7163, USA
J Parasitol 92:949-52. 2006..Columbicola wolffhuegeli (Eichler) is removed from synonymy with Columbicola longiceps (Rudow) and is recognized as a valid species. The true host for Columbicola paradoxus Tendeiro has been determined as Lopholaimus antarcticus (Shaw)...
- Heritability of resistance to infestation with the body louse, Bovicola ovis, in Romney sheep bred for differences in resistance or resilience to gastro-intestinal nematode parasitesA Pfeffer
AgResearch Ltd, Hopkirk Research Institute, AgResearch Grasslands, Tennent Drive, Private Bag 11008, Palmerston North, New Zealand
Int J Parasitol 37:1589-97. 2007..All lambs (n=701) were examined for lice (Bovicola ovis) before artificial infestation; in 2001 the lambs were free of natural infestation, whilst in 2004 ..
- Ectoparasites of the endangered Iberian lynx Lynx pardinus and sympatric wild and domestic carnivores in SpainJ Millan
Department of Conservation Biology, Estacion Biologica de Donana CSIC, Seville, Spain
Med Vet Entomol 21:248-54. 2007..A total of 65% of lynxes were parasitized (50% by ticks, 19% by fleas, 4% by lice, 31% by hippoboscid flies), as were 75% of foxes (58%, 60%, 0%, 19%), 71% of mongooses (50%, 4%, 46%, 0%), 54% of ..
- [Scalp delousing: parents prefer products with short duration of action]Eduard Gerlach
Kinderkrankenschwester 25:341. 2006
- Louse-borne bacterial pathogens in lice (Phthiraptera) of rodents and cattle from EgyptWill K Reeves
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention 1600 Clifton Rd NE, MS G 13, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
J Parasitol 92:313-8. 2006We collected 1,023 lice, representing 5 species, from rats and domestic cattle throughout 13 governorates in Egypt and tested these lice for Anaplasma marginale, Bartonella spp., Brucella spp...
- The presence of quill mites (Gabucinia bicaudata) and lice (Struthiolipeurus struthionis) in ostrich wing feathersR G Cooper
Department of Physiology, University of Central England, Franchise Street, Birmingham B42 2SU, UK
J S Afr Vet Assoc 77:9-11. 2006Quill mites (Gabucinia bicaudata) and lice (Struthiolipeurus struthionis) may infest ostrich feathers, resulting in skin damage, pruritus and excessive feather preening and loss...
- Segregation of ectoparasitic communities of small forest mammals among ecological nichesYu S Balashov
Zoological Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences, Universitetskaya nab 1, St Petersburg, 199034 Russia
Dokl Biol Sci 415:280-3. 2007
- [The inventory of coot (Fulica amra) ectoparasites in the north-west of Algeria]N Rouag-Ziane
Laboratoire d Ecophysiologie Animale, Universite Badji Mokhtar, BP 12, 2300 Annaba Algérie
Parasite 14:253-6. 2007..Results show that mites are the most abundant parasites (65.6%), followed by lice (Pseudomenopon pilosum, Rallicolo fulicae, Fullicofulo lurida, Incidifrons fulicae, Laemobothrion atrum) 34...
- [Trends of faunistic-ecological researches in the Department of Parasitology in Wrocław University]Anna Okulewicz
Zakład Parazytologii, Instytut Genetyki i Mikrobiologii Uniwersytetu Wroclawskiego, ul Przybyszewskiego 63, 51 148 Wrocław
Wiad Parazytol 53:213-8. 2007..Janiszewska), nematodes (A. Okulewicz), lice (J. Złotorzycka, E. Lonc, M. Modrzejewska)...
- Host defence mediates interspecific competition in ectoparasitesSarah E Bush
Department of Biology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
J Anim Ecol 77:558-64. 2008..the impact of host defence (preening) on competitive interactions between two species of feather-feeding lice: 'wing' lice Columbicola columbae and 'body' lice Campanulotes compar...
- Patterns in the distribution of avian lice (Phthiraptera: Amblycera, Ischnocera) living on the great grey shrike Lanius excubitorAnetta Szczykutowicz
Department of Animal Taxonomy and Ecology, Adam Mickiewicz University, Umultowska 89, 61 614, Poznan, Poland
Parasitol Res 98:507-10. 2006The lice parasite community of great grey shrike Lanius excubitor collected in NE Slovakia during 1962-1974 was quantitatively studied...
- Population expansion of the poultry fluff louse, Goniocotes gallinae (De Geer, 1778) (Ischnocera, Phthiraptera)Arun Kumar Saxena
Department of Zoology, Government Raza Postgraduate College, Rampur, India
Zoolog Sci 24:327-30. 2007..059) of G. gallinae were determined. However, doubling-time values recorded during in vivo studies (14 days) was comparatively higher than those during in vitro rearing (11.73 days)...
- The prevalence of lice on sheep and control practices in South AustraliaP J James
South Australian Research and Development Institute, 33 Flemington St, Glenside, South Australia 5065
Aust Vet J 82:563-8. 2004To assess the prevalence of infestations of lice in sheep flocks and to survey control practices for lice in South Australia
- Use of scanning electron microscopy to confirm the identity of lice infesting communally grazed goat herdsP J Sebei
Department of Paraclinical Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Science, University of Pretoria, Private Bag X04, Onderstepoort, 0110 South Africa
Onderstepoort J Vet Res 71:87-92. 2004b>Lice have been described on goats in commercial farming systems in South Africa but not from flocks on communal grazing...
- Arbovirus of marine mammals: a new alphavirus isolated from the elephant seal louse, Lepidophthirus macrorhiniM La Linn
Australian Centre for International and Tropical Health and Nutrition, Queensland Institute of Medical Research and the University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
J Virol 75:4103-9. 2001..The SES virus represents the first arbovirus of marine mammals and illustrates that alphaviruses can inhabit Antarctica and that alphaviruses can be transmitted by lice.
- Ectoparasite infestations of red foxes (Vulpes vulpes) in HungaryT Sréter
Department of Wildlife Diseases and Parasitology, Central Veterinary Institute, Budapest, Hungary
Vet Parasitol 115:349-54. 2003....
- A new species of sucking louse (Insecta, Anoplura) parasitic on Auliscomys (Mammalia, Rodentia) in ArgentinaD D Castro
Facultad de Ciencias Naturales and Museo de La Plata, Paseo del Bosque, Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Parasitol 87:263-6. 2001..The geographical ranges of these 2 species are restricted to the NeuquÃ©n Province in Argentina. A key to the 9 species of the Hoplopleura travassosi species-group recorded in Argentina is also given...
- Parasites of domestic and wild animals in South Africa. XXXIX. Helminth and arthropod parasites of Angora goats in the southern KarooI G Horak
Department of Veterinary Tropical Diseases, Faculty of Veterinary Science, University of Pretoria, Onderstepoort, South Africa
Onderstepoort J Vet Res 68:27-35. 2001..africanus occurred on the kids during the first few months of their lives. The larvae of the nasal bot fly, Oestrus ovis were present in kids at 1 month of age, and infestation took place mainly from spring to late summer...
- A case of pubic lice resistant to pyrethrinsR Speare
School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, James Cook University, Townsville, Queensland
Aust Fam Physician 30:572-4. 2001BACKGROUND: Effective therapeutic protocols for the treatment of pubic lice include application of approved insecticidal products to all body and scalp hair, retreatment at seven days, and use of mechanical removal of lice and eggs...
- Scalp infestation by Phthirus pubis in a 6-week-old infantB S Silburt
Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's, Canada
Pediatr Dermatol 7:205-7. 1990..It is believed this patient is the first reported case in this age group. Treatment is discussed, as are the family dynamics that put this infant at risk. The authors address the possible association between infestation and child abuse...
- Efficacy of selamectin against biting lice on dogs and catsD J Shanks
Pfizer Global Research and Development, Veterinary Medicine, Pfizer, Sandwich, Kent CT13 9NJ
Vet Rec 152:234-7. 2003..The treatment had no adverse effects in either the dogs or the cats. Efficacy was assessed by counting the live lice (adults and nymphs) on each animal by using a coat-parting technique on days -3, 7, 14, 21, 28, 35 and 42 for the ..
- [Structure and seasonal dynamics of the biotic community ectoparasites of the bank vole in the Il'men'-Volkhov lowland]Iu S Balashov
Parazitologiia 36:433-46. 2002..In the Oskuy area, the bank voles are the main and additional hosts of 25 ectoparasite species: fleas--8, lice--1, ixodid ticks--2, gamasid mites--7, acariform mites 7...
- Efficacy of a 1% lambdacyhalothrin cattle Pour-on (Saber) against sucking and biting lice infesting beef cattleRichard G Endris
Schering Plough Animal Health, 1095 Morris Avenue, Union, NJ 07065, USA
Vet Ther 3:387-95. 2002..efficacy of a 1% lambdacyhalothrin pour-on (Saber Pour-on, Schering-Plough Animal Health) for control of sucking lice (Linognathus vituli, Haematopinus eurysternus, Solenopotes capillatus) and biting lice (Damalinia bovis) on beef ..
- Blood-sucking lice may disseminate Trypanosoma cruzi infection in baboonsE R Argañaraz
Chagas Disease Multidisciplinary Research Laboratory, Faculty of Medicine, University of Brasilia, Brazil
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 43:271-6. 2001..We obtained PCR amplification products from DNA extracted from sucking lice collected from the hair and skin of T...
- Short communication serum copper, zinc, and calcium concentrations in lice-infested sheepY Deger
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Yuzuncu Yil, Van, Turkey
Biol Trace Elem Res 88:87-90. 2002..was to investigate changes in serum concentration of copper, zinc, and calcium in sheep naturally infested with lice (Bovicola caprae, Linognathus africanus, Linognatus ovillus, and Linognattus pedalis)...
- The efficacy of formulations of triclabendazole and ivermectin in combination against liver fluke (Fasciola hepatica) and gastro-intestinal nematodes in cattle and sheep and sucking lice species in cattleC R Stevenson
Novartis Animal Health Australasia Pty Ltd, Yarrandoo R and D Centre, 245 Western Road, Kemps Creek, New South Wales 2171
Aust Vet J 80:698-701. 2002..To assess the efficacy of two formulations of triclabendazole and ivermectin in combination against liver fluke (Fasciola hepatica), gastro-intestinal nematodes and sucking louse species in cattle and sheep...
- 100th anniversary of a great victory over typhusJ Schoendorff
Clin Microbiol Infect 9:1256. 2003
- First molecular evidence of new Bartonella spp. in fleas and a tick from PeruPhilippe Parola
Unite des Rickettsies, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de la Mediterranee, Marseille, France
Am J Trop Med Hyg 67:135-6. 2002Fleas, lice, and ticks collected in Peru in a suburban area of Cusco in November 1998 were tested by polymerase chain reaction for the presence of Bartonella DNA using primers amplifying a fragment of the intergenic spacer region (ITS) ..
- Rallicola deckeri n. sp. (Phthiraptera: Philopteridae) from Ruddy Woodcreepers Dendrocincla homochroa (Passeriformes: Furnariidae) collected in Campeche, MexicoR J Adams
Department of Biology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City 84112, USA
J Parasitol 87:118-20. 2001A new species of Rallicola Johnston and Harrison (Phthiraptera: Philopteridae) is described from lice collected from a series of Ruddy Woodcreepers Dendrocincla homochroa (Aves: Dendrocolaptinae) in Campeche, Mexico...
- Comparative survey of the ectoparasite fauna of wild and farm-reared red-legged partridges ( Alectoris rufa), with an ecological study in wild populationsJavier Millan
Instituto de Investigación en Recursos Cinegéticos IREC, CSIC UCLM JCCM, P O Box 535, 13080 Ciudad Real, Spain
Parasitol Res 93:79-85. 2004..Only two louse species (G. obscurus, 8%; C. obscurior, 20%) were found on farmed partridges. Lice prevalence, abundance and species richness were higher in wild birds (44%, 17.0, 1...
- Persistent activity of moxidectin long-acting injectable formulations against natural and experimentally enhanced populations of lice infesting cattleR M Cleale
Fort Dodge Animal Health, P O Box 5366, Princeton, NJ 08543 5366, USA
Vet Parasitol 120:215-27. 2004..to evaluate therapeutic and persistent efficacy of two long-acting injectable formulations of moxidectin against lice populations infesting cattle...
- Path coefficient analysis of correlation between breeding cycles of the common myna Acridotheres tristis (Passeriformes: Sturnidae) and its phthirapteran ectoparasitesRoshani Srivastava
Department of Zoology, Government Raza Postgraduate College, Rampur Uttar Pradesh 244 901, India
Folia Parasitol (Praha) 50:315-6. 2003
- Arthropod-borne diseases in homelessPhilippe Brouqui
Unite des Rickettsies, CNRS UMR 6020, IFR 48, Faculte de Medecine, 27 bd, J Moulin, 13385 Marseille, Cedex 5, France
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1078:223-35. 2006..The living conditions and the crowded shelters provide ideal conditions for the spread of lice, fleas, ticks, and mites...
- Lousicidal, ovicidal and repellent efficacy of some essential oils against lice and flies infesting water buffaloes in EgyptHanem F Khater
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Benha University, Moshtohor, Toukh, 13736, Egypt
Vet Parasitol 164:257-66. 2009..All treated lice were killed after 0.5-2 min, whereas with d-phenothrin, 100% mortality was reached only after 120 min...
- [Cardiotoxicity of lindane, a gamma isomer of hexachlorocyclohexane]Martin Pierre Sauviat
Laboratoire d Optique et Biosciences, INSERM U 451 CNRS UMR 7645 X ENSTA, Ecole Polytechnique, 91128 Palaiseau, France
J Soc Biol 196:339-48. 2002..in agriculture and entered also in the composition of some lotions, creams and shampoos used against parasites (lice and scabies)...
- Fumigant and repellent properties of essential oils and component compounds against permethrin-resistant Pediculus humanus capitis (Anoplura: Pediculidae) from ArgentinaAriel Ceferino Toloza
Centro de Investigaciones en Plagas e Insecticidas CITEFA CONICET, Juan Bautista De La Salle 4397 B1603ALO Villa Martelli, Provincia de Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Med Entomol 43:889-95. 2006The repeated use of permethrin and other insecticides for the control of head lice, Pediculus humanus capitis De Geer (Anoplura: Pediculidae), during past decades has resulted in the development of marked levels of resistance...
- Survey on blood-sucking lice (Phthiraptera: Anoplura) of ruminants and pigs with molecular detection of Anaplasma and Rickettsia sppS Hornok
Department of Parasitology and Zoology, Faculty of Veterinary Science, Szent Istvan University, Istvan u 2, 1078 Budapest, Hungary
Vet Parasitol 174:355-8. 2010b>Lice may serve as biological or mechanical vectors for various infectious agents...
- Comparative efficacy of several insecticides for control of cattle lice (Mallophaga: Trichodectidae and Anoplura: Haematopinidae)J B Campbell
West Central Research and Extension Center, University of Nebraska, 461 West University Drive, North Platte, NE 69101 7756, USA
Vet Parasitol 96:155-64. 2001..at various rates, mixtures, application methods and numbers of treatments and evaluated for control of cattle lice. The insecticides included permethrin at various rates as a pour-on with and without the synergist piperonyl ..
- Outbreak of epidemic typhus associated with trench fever in BurundiD Raoult
WHO Reference Centre for Rickettsial Diseases, Universite de la Mediterranee, Marseille, France
Lancet 352:353-8. 1998..Reports of sutama among the civilian population date back to late 1995 and, in association with body-louse infestation, the disease has subsequently swept across the higher and colder regions of the country...
- Body lice as tools for diagnosis and surveillance of reemerging diseasesV Roux
, CNRS UPRES A 6020, , 13385 Marseille, France
J Clin Microbiol 37:596-9. 1999Body lice are vectors of three bacteria which cause human disease: Rickettsia prowazekii, the agent of epidemic typhus; Bartonella quintana, the agent of trench fever; and Borrelia recurrentis, the agent of relapsing fever...
- [Ectoparasites. Part 1: lice and fleas]P Nenoff
Haut und Laborarzt Allergologie, Andrologie, Laboratorium für medizinische Mikrobiologie, Str des Friedens 8, 04579 Mölbis
Hautarzt 60:663-71; quiz 672-3. 2009..The most common forms world-wide are scabies, lice (Pediculosis capitis, corporis, vestimentorum and pubis), tungiasis and the hookworm-associated Larva migrans ..
- Paranucleospora theridion n. gen., n. sp. (Microsporidia, Enterocytozoonidae) with a Life Cycle in the Salmon Louse (Lepeophtheirus salmonis, Copepoda) and Atlantic Salmon (Salmo salar)Stian Nylund
Department of Biology, University of Bergen, 5020 Bergen, Norway
J Eukaryot Microbiol 57:95-114. 2010..during all known life-cycle stages in salmon, but only in the merogonal stages and early sporogonal stage in salmon lice. All developmental stages of P. theridion are in direct contact with the host cell cytoplasm or nucleoplasm...
- Rapid Detection and Identification of Zoonotic PathogensJohn Dunn; Fiscal Year: 2007..the main catalysts that promoted epidemics of these ancient afflictions, which are normally transmitted by fleas, lice and ticks...
- Optimized Growth Media to Detect Intracellular Bacteria Implicated in Chronic DisPATRICIA MASCARELLI; Fiscal Year: 2011..As Bartonella spp. are transmitted by a large number of arthropod vectors, including fleas, lice, sand flies, ticks, biting flies and potentially others, determining the appropriate bacteria to screen for may be ..
- Bartonella: dissecting niche-specific adaptation in a human pathogenJane E Koehler; Fiscal Year: 2013..In addition, rpoE is necessary for colonization of lice by BQ...
- Epidemic Typhus PathogenesisSanjeev K Sahni; Fiscal Year: 2010..prowazekii, to expand our understanding of in vivo host immune responses, and to test the efficacy of novel antibiotics and vaccine candidates. ..
- The Role of Plasmids in Rickettsia BiologyULRIKE GERTRUD MUNDERLOH; Fiscal Year: 2013..Many Rickettsia species are associated with blood-feeding arthropods (ticks, lice, fleas and mites) that serve as vectors for their transmission to vertebrate hosts...
- GENETIC ANALYSIS OF RICKETTSIA PROWAZEKIIDavid Wood; Fiscal Year: 2013..prowazekii and the development of new detection and isolation techniques will accelerate our gene-by-gene dissection of systems that dictate rickettsial virulence and intracellular growth. ..
- Mutational analysis of the vlp/vsp antigenic variation system of the relapsing feTROY MICHAEL BANKHEAD; Fiscal Year: 2013..When applied, these results are expected to allow the targeting of this system in order to significantly reduce the ability of this pathogen to persist ad cause disease in the mammalian host. ..
- PERMEABILITY OF THE EPIDEMIC TYPHUS RICKETTSIAJONATHON PETER AUDIA; Fiscal Year: 2010..The hypothesis is that activation and/or translocation is required for enzyme activity and rickettsial entry and we will determine if ExoU and patatin play a role in this process. ..
- Identifying Borrelia turicatae genes needed for colonization and transmission froJob E Lopez; Fiscal Year: 2013..These findings will have a broad impact enabling the development of therapeutics blocking transmission of this disease, and will increase our understanding of the adaptation and transmission mechanisms of vector-borne pathogens. ..
- Elucidating the Role of Phospholipase in the Epidemic Typhus RickettsiaJONATHON PETER AUDIA; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Functional and transcriptional profiling of lice defenses against pediculicidesJOHN MARSHALL CLARK; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Human body lice vector a number of deadly bacterial diseases. Resistance to current pediculicides has caused clinical failures...
- Hemin Receptor Gene Family of Bartonella quintanaMICHAEL MINNICK; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Elucidating the Rickettsia prowazekii EnvZ/OmpR RegulonJONATHON AUDIA; Fiscal Year: 2007..prowazekii as the model system. Understanding the role of gene regulation in pathogenesis may be critical to developing countermeasures and novel therapies against obligate intracellular Select Agents. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Global Analysis of the Rickettsia prowazekii ProteomeDavid Wood; Fiscal Year: 2007..Identification of differences in rickettsial protein expression will increase our understanding of this dynamic process as well as identify potentially new targets for vaccines and diagnostic reagents. ..
- Generation of Genetically Attenuated RickettsiaeAbdu Azad; Fiscal Year: 2009..The underlying hypothesis tested is whether recombinant strains with altered genes maintain their immunogenicity within mammals and provide cross protection to subsequent challenge with virulent strains. ..
- Head Louse Resistance and Control of PediculosisJohn Clark; Fiscal Year: 2008..malathion in many pest insects that will allow us to rapidly and efficiently obtain a complete database for head lice and use it to make effective control decisions...
- Ehrlichia chaffeensis protective proteinsDavid H Walker; Fiscal Year: 2010..chaffeensis. ..
- Gammacell-220 Excel Refurbished Research IrradiatorDavid Walker; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Perpetuation of Francisella tularensisSam R Telford; Fiscal Year: 2010..Taken together, these observations will provide a basis for understanding how the agent of tularemia is perpetuated on Martha's Vineyard, and why pneumonic human disease is prevalent there. ..
- INVASION BIOLOGY OF AEDES ALBOPICTUSLEON LOUNIBOS; Fiscal Year: 2009..Blood meal identifications and sugar content of wild-caught specimens will determine vertebrate hosts and nectar feeding, and effects of blood and sugar on adult fitness will be evaluated experimentally. ..
- Molecular Epidemiology of Xenoestrogen ExposureSusan Teitelbaum; Fiscal Year: 2008..Furthermore, data analysis approaches applied in this research project will be applicable to a wide range of environmentally associated diseases. ..
- Gustatory and olfactory receptors of Anopheles gambiaeHugh Robertson; Fiscal Year: 2006..This work will also contribute to our overall understanding of the molecular basis of chemoreception in insects and other animals. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- INSECT PROJECTIN: ROLES IN SARCOMERE ASSEMBLY & FLIGHTAgnes Ayme Southgate; Fiscal Year: 2005..The main goal is to expose them to the research environment, and to teach them the scientific methods including designing, preparing, performing and analyzing their own experiments. ..
- Proximal determinants of risk for tularemia outbreaksSam Telford; Fiscal Year: 2004..tularensis in the environment; and, ultimately, a better understanding of F. tularensis-host interactions. ..
- MARINER TRANSPOSONS OF MAMMALSHugh Robertson; Fiscal Year: 2001..It will also reveal how occasionally particular copies of transposons can become integral parts of their host genetic complements. ..
- LYME DISEASE IN WESTERN USA: ECOLOGY AND EPIDEMIOLOGYRobert Lane; Fiscal Year: 2008..Development of this risk model, which culminates over 2 decades of intensive study, should contribute significantly to our knowledge of the landscape ecology and epidemiology of LD in this region. ..