Genomes and Genes
Summary: A family of softbacked TICKS, in the subclass ACARI. Genera include ARGAS and ORNITHODOROS among others.
Publications157 found, 100 shown here
- Ticks (Acari: Ixodida: Argasidae, Ixodidae) infesting humans in Northwestern Cordoba Province, ArgentinaSantiago Nava
Instituto Nacional de Tecnologia Agropecuaria, Estacion Experimental Agropecuaria Rafaela, Santa Fe, Argentina
Medicina (B Aires) 66:225-8. 2006..Amblyomma neumanni was absent on man from December to April while most specimens of A. parvum and A. tigrinum were collected during summer. Their role as potential vector of tick-transmitted diseases in the area is unknown...
- Variation in genome size of argasid and ixodid ticksNicholas S Geraci
Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
Insect Biochem Mol Biol 37:399-408. 2007..We report the first study to determine genome size in two species of Argasidae (soft ticks) and seven species of Ixodidae (hard ticks) using flow cytometry analysis of fluorescent stained ..
- Borrelia, Coxiella, and Rickettsia in Carios capensis (Acari: Argasidae) from a brown pelican (Pelecanus occidentalis) rookery in South Carolina, USAWill K Reeves
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Road NE, MS G 13, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Exp Appl Acarol 39:321-9. 2006..We partially characterize the novel Coxiella by molecular means...
- Biological and ecological characteristics of soft ticks (Ixodida: Argasidae) and their impact for predicting tick and associated disease distributionL Vial
Centre de Cooperation Internationale en Recherche Agronomique pour le Developpement CIRAD, BIOS UMR15 TA A 15 G, Campus International de Baillarguet, 34398 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Parasite 16:191-202. 2009....
- Detection of Rickettsia, Borrelia, and Bartonella in Carios kelleyi (Acari: Argasidae)Amanda D Loftis
Viral and Rickettsial Zoonoses Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Med Entomol 42:473-80. 2005..turicatae, was detected in one of 31 live ticks. The 16S-23S intergenic spacer region of Bartonella henselae also was detected in one of 31 live ticks. Coxiella or A. phagocytophilum DNA were not detected in these ticks...
- Identification and expression analysis of an actin gene from the soft tick, Ornithodoros moubata (Acari: Argasidae)Mari Horigane
Graduate School of Life and Environmental Sciences, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba Ibaraki, Japan
Arch Insect Biochem Physiol 64:186-99. 2007..In addition, actin expression analyzed by real-time PCR before and after blood feeding was not significantly different indicating OmAct2 is an appropriate internal control for the analysis of gene expression in these ticks...
- Isolation of cell lines and a rickettsial endosymbiont from the soft tick Carios capensis (Acari: Argasidae: Ornithodorinae)Joshua T Mattila
Department of Entomology, University of Minnesota, 1980 Folwell Avenue, Saint Paul, MN 55108, USA
J Med Entomol 44:1091-101. 2007..The rickettsia adds to the growing number of Rickettsia species that have been isolated in tick cell culture, and it is available for characterization...
- Gram-negative bacteria from the camel tick Hyalomma dromedarii (Ixodidae) and the chicken tick Argas persicus (Argasidae) and their antibiotic sensitivitiesAshraf A Montasser
Department of Zoology, Faculty of Science, Ain Shams University, Cairo 11566, Egypt
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 35:95-106. 2005..The results were discussed...
- Molecular and biological characterization of a novel Coxiella-like agent from Carios capensisWill K Reeves
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1063:343-5. 2005..burnetii, but other genes such as the IS1111 transposon, com1, and 5S and 16S rRNA genes were not amplified by conventional PCR. Transovarial and transtadial transmission and environmental shedding of the agent were detected by PCR...
- Ectoparasites in an urban population of big brown bats (Eptesicus fuscus) in ColoradoRoger D Pearce
Department of Biology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523, USA
J Parasitol 93:518-30. 2007..and this appeared to reduce ectoparasitism of S. occidentalis and C. pilosellus present at these buildings. Intensity of S. occidentalis had no influence on annual survival of big brown bats...
- Notes on New World Persicargas ticks (Acari: Argasidae) with description of female Argas (P.) keiransiA Estrada-Pena
Department of Parasitology, Veterinary Faculty, 50013 Zaragoza, Spain
J Med Entomol 43:801-9. 2006The female of Argas (Persicargas) keiransi Estrada-Peña, Venzal & González-Acuña (Acari: Argasidae) is described from specimens collected in the type locality in Chile...
- Tick-bite-induced anaphylaxis in SpainP Fernández-Soto
Departamento de Parasitologia, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad de Salamanca, 37007 Salamanca, Spain
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 95:97-103. 2001....
- Ticks (Acari: Ixodoidea: Argasidae, Ixodidae) of ChileDaniel González-Acuña
Facultad de Medicina Veterinaria, Universidad de Concepcion, Casilla 537, Chillan, Chile
Exp Appl Acarol 35:147-63. 2005..The Chilean Ixodes fauna is unique to the Neotropical Zoogeographic Region, and additional research is needed in order to understand the biological importance of these species...
- Coxiella burnetii in humans and ticks in rural SenegalOleg Mediannikov
URMITE, UMR IRD 198 CNRS 6236, Mediterranean University, Medical Faculty, Marseille, France
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 4:e654. 2010..Q fever is a worldwide zoonotic disease caused by Coxiella burnetii. Epidemiologically, animals are considered reservoirs and humans incidental hosts...
- Bloodmeal size and spirochete acquisition of Ornithodoros hermsi (Acari: Argasidae) during feedingBrandi N McCoy
Rocky Mountain Laboratories, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Hamilton, MT 59840, USA
J Med Entomol 47:1164-72. 2010Ornithodoros hermsi Wheeler (Acari: Argasidae) is the vector of Borrelia hermsii, the primary cause of tick-borne relapsing fever in North America...
- Ecdysteroid hormone titer and its relationship to vitellogenesis in the soft tick, Ornithodoros moubata (Acari: Argasidae)Kazumasa Ogihara
Graduate School of Life and Environmental Sciences, University of Tsukuba, Tennodai 1 1 1, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8572, Japan
Gen Comp Endocrinol 150:371-80. 2007..These observations indicate that physiological elevation of ecdysteroids accelerate Vg synthesis, and may induce egg maturation and stimulate oviposition in fed mated Ornithodoros moubata females...
- Bm86 homologues and novel ATAQ proteins with multiple epidermal growth factor (EGF)-like domains from hard and soft ticksArd M Nijhof
Utrecht Centre for Tick borne Diseases UCTD, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Utrecht University, Yalelaan 1, 3584 CL Utrecht, The Netherlands
Int J Parasitol 40:1587-97. 2010..The vaccine potential of ATAQ proteins against tick infestations is yet to be evaluated...
- Description of adults and nymph, and redescription of the larva, of Ornithodoros marinkellei (Acari:Argasidae), with data on its phylogenetic positionMarcelo B Labruna
Departamento de Medicina Veterinaria Preventiva e Saude Animal, Faculdade de Medicina Veterinaria e Zootecnia, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Avenida Prof Orlando Marques de Paiva 87, Cidade Universitaria, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil 05508 270
J Parasitol 97:207-17. 2011..Phylogenetic analyses revealed O. marinkellei to be distinct from the remaining argasid species available in GenBank, including other bat-associated tick species that are found in sympatry with O. marinkellei in the Neotropical region...
- Pathogenicity of endophytic entomopathogenic fungi to Ornithodoros erraticus and Ornithodoros moubata (Acari: Argasidae)Iñigo Zabalgogeazcoa
Instituto de Recursos Naturales y Agrobiología IRNASA, CSIC, Cordel de Merinas, 40 52, 37008 Salamanca, Spain
Vet Parasitol 158:336-43. 2008....
- An insight into the sialome of the soft tick, Ornithodorus parkeriIvo M B Francischetti
Laboratory of Malaria and Vector Research, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 8132, USA
Insect Biochem Mol Biol 38:1-21. 2008While hard ticks (Ixodidae) take several days to feed on their hosts, soft ticks (Argasidae) feed faster, usually taking less than 1h per meal...
- The ornithodoros (Alectorobius) talaje species group (Acari: Ixodida: Argasidae): description of Ornithodoros (Alectorobius) rioplatensis n. sp. from southern South AmericaJ M Venzal
Department of Parasitology, Veterinary Faculty, University of the Republic, 11600 Montevideo, Uruguay
J Med Entomol 45:832-40. 2008..S. material as O. nr. talaje until further analysis of population variability is conducted using an adequate sample size...
- Isolation and expression of the retinoid X receptor from last instar nymphs and adult females of the soft tick Ornithodoros moubata (Acari: Argasidae)Mari Horigane
Graduate School of Life and Environmental Sciences, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
Gen Comp Endocrinol 156:298-311. 2008..The ecdysteroid/EcR/RXR complex appears to be important in the regulation of molting and vitellogenesis of soft ticks...
- Comparative susceptibility of cypermethrin in Ornithodoros lahorensis Neuman and Argas persicus Oken (Acari: Argasidae) field populationsZ Telmadarraiy
Department of Medical Entomology and Vector Control, School of Public Health and Institute of Public Health Researches, Medical Sciences University of Tehran, Tehran, Islamic Republic of Iran
Pak J Biol Sci 10:4315-8. 2007..7 and 2.4-folds for cypermethrin in O. lahorensis Mesh and A. reflexus West Ap strains, whereas the O. lahorensis West O1 completely susceptible to cypermethrin...
- Ticks feeding on humans: a review of records on human-biting Ixodoidea with special reference to pathogen transmissionA Estrada-Pena
Departamento de Parasitologia, Facultad de Veterinaria, Miguel Servet, Zaragoza, Spain
Exp Appl Acarol 23:685-715. 1999..Finally, despite the fact that most people who are bitten destroy the offending tick in disgust, it is recommended that they preserve specimens in ethanol for taxonomic identification and detection of pathogens by molecular methods...
- Cloning and expression of the ecdysteroid receptor during ecdysis and reproduction in females of the soft tick, Ornithodoros moubata (Acari: Argasidae)M Horigane
Graduate School of Life and Environmental Sciences, University of Tsukuba, Tennodai 1 1 1, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
Insect Mol Biol 16:601-12. 2007..Therefore, OmEcR appears to mediate the regulation of moulting and vitellogenesis by ecdysteroids in O. moubata females as seen in other arthropods...
- Diagnosis and treatment of tick infestation and tick-borne diseases with cutaneous manifestationsAli N Dana
Department of Dermatology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Dermatol Ther 22:293-326. 2009..The recognition of skin manifestations associated with these diseases is paramount to early diagnosis and treatment initiation...
- Asthenes dorbignyi (Passeriformes: Furnariidae) host of Argas neghmei (Acari: Argasidae)Osvaldo Di Iorio
Departamento de Biodiversidad, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Argentina
Exp Appl Acarol 51:419-22. 2010..dorbignyi is probably a source of infestation for animal premises and houses. However, the role of other unknown wild birds may also contribute to the invasion of A. neghmei in chicken houses or residences...
- Acaricidal efficacy of Myrrh (Commiphora molmol) on the fowl tick Argas persicus (Acari: Argasidae)A M Massoud
Department of Tropical Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, El Azhar University, Cairo, Egypt
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 35:667-86. 2005..Consequently, Myrrh can rapidly penetrate the cuticle to body cavity, destroy the epithelial gut cells and finally cause the death of ticks...
- Delayed invasion of the kidney and brain by Borrelia crocidurae in plasminogen-deficient miceA Nordstrand
Department of Molecular Biology, Department of Medical Biosciences, Umea University, S 90187 Umea, Sweden
Infect Immun 69:5832-9. 2001..The results show that invasion of brain and kidney occurs as early as 2 days after inoculation. Also, Plg is not required for establishment of spirochetemia by the organism, whereas it is involved in the invasion of organs...
- Ferruginous pygmy-owl (Glaucidium brasilianum) and eastern screech-owl (Megascopes asio): new hosts for Philornis mimicola (Diptera: Muscidae) and Ornithodoros concanensis (Acari: Argasidae)Glenn A Proudfoot
Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences, Texas A and M University, 2258 TAMU, College Station, Texas 77843, USA
J Wildl Dis 42:873-6. 2006..south Texas during 2004, we recorded Philornis mimicola (Diptera: Muscidae) and Ornithodoros concanensis (Acari: Argasidae) parasitizing nestlings. Inspection of nestlings revealed 54 P. mimicola and one O. concanensis...
- Adaptation of ticks to a blood-feeding environment: evolution from a functional perspectiveBen J Mans
Department of Biochemistry, University of Pretoria, Pretoria 0002, South Africa
Insect Biochem Mol Biol 34:1-17. 2004..Independent adaptation of the main tick families to a blood-feeding environment has several implications for future tick research in terms of tick genome projects and vaccine development...
- Carios mimon (Acari: Argasidae): description of adults and redescription of larvaDarci Moraes Barros-Battesti
Laboratorio de Parasitologia, Instituto Butantan, Av Vital Brasil 1500, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Exp Appl Acarol 54:93-104. 2011..bootstrap value (100%) with other argasid species (mostly bat parasites in the New World), which have been classified into either the genus Ornithodoros or Carios, depending on the Argasidae classification adopted by different authors.
- The Argasidae, Ixodidae and Nuttalliellidae (Acari: Ixodida): a world list of valid tick namesIvan G Horak
Department of Veterinary Tropical Diseases, Faculty of Veterinary Science, University of Pretoria, Onderstepoort, 0110 South Africa
Exp Appl Acarol 28:27-54. 2002..tick fauna comprises 183 species in four genera, namely Argas, Carios, Ornithodoros and Otobius in the family Argasidae. The ixodid tick fauna consists of 241 species in the genus Ixodes and 442 species in the genera Amblyomma, ..
- [Life-threatening complications caused by Argas reflexus (Ixodoidea, Argasidae)]R J Bauch
Referenzlaboratorium für Medizinische Arachno Entomologie der DDR, Bezirks Hygieneinspektion und institut Leipzig
Z Gesamte Hyg 36:308-11. 1990Injuries to health by Argas reflexus (Ixodoidea, Argasidae) are known and have been published since about the middle of 19th century...
- Detection of tick blood parasites in Egypt using PCR assay II- Borrelia burgdorferi sensu latoFatma K Adham
Department of Entomology, Faculty of Science, Cairo University, Giza, Egypt
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 40:553-64. 2010..0-50.0%. Sequence analysis of PCR product of Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato shares high degree of similarity in sequence compared to similar species in GenBank...
- [Ticks (Acarina: Ixodidae) as vectors and reservoirs of pathogen microorganisms in Spain]Francisco José Márquez-Jiménez
Departamento de Biologia Animal, Biología Vegetal y Ecología, Facultad de Ciencias Experimentales, Universidad de Jaen, Campus Las Lagunillas s n, 23071 Jaen, Spain
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 23:94-102. 2005..conorii, R. slovaca, R. aeschlimannii) and Anaplasma phagocytophila...
- Morphology and structural organization of Gene's organ in Argas walkeraeH Schol
Institute for Comparative Tropical Medicine and Parasitology, University of Munich, Germany
Med Vet Entomol 15:422-32. 2001Electron microscopy revealed that Gene's organ in females of Argas walkerae Kaiser & Hoogstraal (Ixodida: Argasidae) is formed as a double-sac structure consisting of an outer epithelial and an inner cuticular sac...
- Effects produced by the feeding of larvae of Ornithodoros aff. puertoricensis (Acari: Argasidae) on laboratory miceJose M Venzal
Departamento de Parasitología Veterinaria, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad de la Republica, Av Alberto Lasplaces 1550, CP 11600, Montevideo, Uruguay
Exp Appl Acarol 42:217-23. 2007..When some infested mice were treated with a solution of Amitraz the larvae were killed and reversion of symptoms was observed. These effects are ascribed to the presence of a toxin in the saliva of the feeding larvae...
- Tick-derived Kunitz-type inhibitors as antihemostatic factorsMaría Angeles Corral-Rodríguez
Institut de Recerca, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Sant Antoni Maria Claret 167, 08025 Barcelona, Spain
Insect Biochem Mol Biol 39:579-95. 2009..The unsurpassed versatility of tick-derived Kunitz inhibitors establishes them as valuable tools for biochemical investigations, but also as lead compounds for the development of novel antithrombotics...
- An overview of systematics and evolution of ticksSantiago Nava
Instituto Nacional de Tecnologia Agropecuaria, Estacion Experimental Agropecuaria Rafaela, CC 22, CP 2300 Rafaela, Santa Fe, Argentina
Front Biosci (Landmark Ed) 14:2857-77. 2009All species of ticks (Acari: Ixodida) are grouped into three families: Argasidae (186 species), Ixodidae (692 species) and Nuttalliellidae (monotypic)...
- The use of the nuclear protein-encoding gene, RNA polymerase II, for tick molecular systematicsQuentin Fang
Department of Biology and Institute of Arthropodology and Parasitology, PO Box 8042, Georgia Southern University, Statesboro, GA 30460 8042, USA
Exp Appl Acarol 28:69-75. 2002..Our study demonstrated that POL II gene sequences contain strong phylogenetic signals in ticks at the generic and higher levels. POL II has proven to be a useful gene for resolving tick phylogeny...
- [The pigeon tick, Argas reflexus, and hazard for human health]Cristina Khoury
Dipartimento di Malattie Infettive, Parassitarie ed Immunomediate, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Roma
Ann Ist Super Sanita 40:427-32. 2004..Among these, Argas reflexus (Acari: Argasidae), the well known pigeon tick, is the most important ectoparasite that can involve also human health...
- Immunohistochemical examination of PDGF-AB, TGF-beta and their receptors in the hemocytes of a tick, Ornithodoros moubata (Acari: Argasidae)Tomohide Matsuo
Division of Tropical Diseases and Parasitology, Department of Infectious Diseases, Kyorin University School of Medicine, Japan
J Vet Med Sci 69:317-20. 2007..The results obtained here add to the elucidation of the functions of tick hemocytes...
- The mechanism of alphaIIbbeta3 antagonism by savignygrin and its implications for the evolution of anti-hemostatic strategies in soft ticksBen J Mans
Department of Biochemistry, University of Pretoria, Pretoria 0002, South Africa
Insect Biochem Mol Biol 34:573-84. 2004..The S2 and S3 loops are not involved in the mechanisms of the related soft tick blood coagulation inhibitors and suggest that this allowed their evolution as integrin targeting motifs...
- Structure, function, and evolution of biogenic amine-binding proteins in soft ticksBen J Mans
Laboratory for Malaria and Vector Research, NIAID, National Institutes of Health, Rockville, Maryland 20852, USA
J Biol Chem 283:18721-33. 2008..The data generated were used to reconstruct the most probable evolutionary pathway for the evolution of biogenic amine-binding in tick lipocalins...
- Ixodid and argasid tick species and west nile virusCharles Henderson Lawrie
Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, Oxford, United Kingdom
Emerg Infect Dis 10:653-7. 2004..moubata ticks co-fed upon uninfected hosts. Although ticks are unlikely to play a major role in WNV transmission, our findings suggest that some species have the potential to act as reservoirs for the virus...
- Mosquitoes and soft ticks cannot transmit Lyme disease spirochetesFranz Rainer Matuschka
Abteilung Parasitologie, Institut fur Pathologie, Charite, Medizinische Fakultat der Humboldt Universitat zu Berlin, Germany
Parasitol Res 88:283-4. 2002
- African swine fever virus infection in Ornithodoros ticksThomas G Burrage
Department of Homeland Security, S and T, Targeted Advance Development, Virus, Cellular and Molecular Imaging, PO Box 848, Plum Island Animal Disease Center, Greenport, NY 11944, United States
Virus Res 173:131-9. 2013..Recently, morphological, classical virology (titration) and recombinant ASFV have been used to study the cellular, molecular and genetic interactions that occur between ASFV and its host tick...
- A new species of Ornithodoros (Acari: Argasidae), parasite of Microlophus spp. (Reptilia: Tropiduridae) from northern ChileJose M Venzal
Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad de la Republica, Uruguay
Ticks Tick Borne Dis 4:128-32. 2013A new species, Ornithodoros microlophi (Acari: Argasidae), belonging to the subgenus Alectorobius is described from larvae collected on the lizards Microlophus atacamensis (Donoso-Barros, 1966) and Microlophus quadrivittatus (Tschudi, ..
- Off-host collection methods of the Otobius megnini (Acari: Argasidae)C N Niebuhr
Department of Animal Science and Wildlife Management, Tarleton State University, Box T 0070, Stephenville, TX 76402, USA
J Med Entomol 50:994-8. 2013..Locating both life stages off the host is the first crucial step toward the management of this tick species at facilities such as FRWC...
- Ornithodoros peropteryx (Acari: Argasidae) in Bolivia: an argasid tick with a single nymphal stageJose M Venzal
Departamento de Parasitología Veterinaria, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad de la Republica, Regional Norte, Salto, Uruguay
Exp Appl Acarol 61:231-41. 2013..We show that O. peropteryx ontogeny is characterized by a single, non-feeding, nymphal stage. This condition has never been reported for ticks...
- The epidemiology and geographic distribution of relapsing fever borreliosis in West and North Africa, with a review of the Ornithodoros erraticus complex (Acari: Ixodida)Jean Francois Trape
Institut de Recherche pour le Developpement, Laboratoire de paludologie et zoologie médicale, Dakar, Senegal
PLoS ONE 8:e78473. 2013..erraticus and O. moubata acting as vectors for Borrelia crocidurae, B. hispanica and B. duttonii, respectively. Our aim was to investigate the epidemiology of the disease in West, North and Central Africa...
- Molecular phylogeny of soft ticks (Ixodida: Argasidae) inferred from mitochondrial genome and nuclear rRNA sequencesThomas D Burger
School of Chemistry and Molecular Biosciences, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD 4072, Australia
Ticks Tick Borne Dis 5:195-207. 2014The genus-level classification of soft ticks (Argasidae) is controversial...
- Transmission dynamics of Borrelia turicatae from the arthropod vectorWilliam K Boyle
Department of Biological Sciences, Mississippi State University, Starkville, Mississippi, United States of America
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 8:e2767. 2014....
- Phylogeny of a relapsing fever Borrelia species transmitted by the hard tick Ixodes scapularisAlan G Barbour
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, University of California Irvine, Irvine, CA 92697, USA Department of Medicine, University of California Irvine, Irvine, CA 92697, USA Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of California Irvine, Irvine, CA 92697, USA Electronic address
Infect Genet Evol 27:551-8. 2014..The genetic differences between LB-2001 and B. miyamotoi sensu stricto justify provisional use of the "sensu lato" designation for LB-2001. ..
- Migration and motility of spermatozoa in the female reproductive tract of the soft tick Ornithodoros moubata (Acari, Argasidae)J H Resler
Department of Biological Sciences, Binghamton University, Binghamton, NY 13902 6000, USA
Parasitology 136:511-21. 2009..This occurs without any apparent assistance from the female's musculature and likely is the prime mechanism of movement of the spermatozoa to the site of fertilization...
- Ornithodoros quilinensis sp. nov. (Acari, Argasidae), a new tick species from the Chacoan region in ArgentinaJose M Venzal
Departamento de Parasitología Veterinaria, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad de la Republica, Regional Norte Salto, Uruguay
Acta Parasitol 57:329-36. 2012Ornithodoros quilinensis sp. nov. (Acari: Argasidae) is described from larvae collected on the small rodents Graomys centralis (Cricetidae: Sigmodontinae) in Argentina...
- Comparative sialomics between hard and soft ticks: implications for the evolution of blood-feeding behaviorBen J Mans
Laboratory for Malaria and Vector Research, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
Insect Biochem Mol Biol 38:42-58. 2008..In conclusion, the ancestral tick may have possessed a simple (few members for each family), but diverse (many different protein families) salivary gland protein domain repertoire...
- Effect of ivermectin on the integument and dorsoventral muscles of the tick Argas (Persicargas) persicus (Oken) (Ixodoidea: Argasidae)Ashraf A Montasser
Department of Zoology, College of Science, Ain Shams University, Abbassia, P O Box 11566, Cairo, Egypt
Parasitol Res 107:975-82. 2010..The results suggest that IVM probably binds to the neurotransmitters or the hormones involved in secretion processes of epidermal cells and dermal glands in the integument or those involved in contraction of dorsoventral muscles...
- Stress response of brown pelican nestlings to ectoparasite infestationLisa M F Eggert
Department of Forestry and Natural Resources and South Carolina Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit, G 27 Lehotsky Hall, Clemson University, Clemson, SC 29634, USA
Gen Comp Endocrinol 166:33-8. 2010..Our results appear to contrast those of previous studies and indicate that the adrenocortical response of the host is likely dependent on the type of ectoparasite and the degree of infestation...
- Argas (Persicargas) persicus (Oken, 1818) (Ixodida: Argasidae) in Sicily with considerations about its Italian and West-Mediterranean distributionR A Pantaleoni
Istituto per lo Studio degli Ecosistemi, CNR, Traversa La Crucca 3, Regione Baldinca, 07100 Li Punti SS, Italia
Parasite 17:349-55. 2010..These findings revalue not only all the old citations for Italy but also the hypothesis that the Mediterranean distribution of this argasid is of a natural origin...
- Ultrastructure of normal and JHA-treated eggs of the soft tick Argas persicus (Oken)Wafaa A Radwan
Entomology Department, Faculty of Science, Ain Shams University, Cairo 11566, Egypt
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 38:823-32. 2008....
- The persistence of African swine fever virus in field-infected Ornithodoros erraticus during the ASF endemic period in PortugalFernando S Boinas
Centro de Investigação Interdisciplinar em Medicina Veterinária, Faculdade de Medicina Veterinária da Universidade Técnica de Lisboa, Lisboa, Portugal
PLoS ONE 6:e20383. 2011..To explore the period for which the European soft tick species Ornithodoros erraticus (Acari: Argasidae) is able to act as a reservoir of African swine fever virus (ASFV) after infected hosts are removed, we ..
- Novel relapsing fever Borrelia detected in African penguins (Spheniscus demersus) admitted to two rehabilitation centers in South AfricaMichael J Yabsley
Daniel B Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources, University of Georgia, Athens, GA, USA
Parasitol Res 110:1125-30. 2012..This represents the fourth report of a relapsing fever Borrelia sp. in an avian species and highlights the need for additional studies of potentially pathogenic organisms infecting the African penguin in South Africa...
- Borrelia in Ethiopian ticksSally Cutler
School of Health and Bioscience, University of East London, Water Lane, Stratford, London E15 4LZ, UK
Ticks Tick Borne Dis 3:14-7. 2012..5%) positive for B. theileri. Collectively, these borrelial species and their tick vectors are likely to have an important economic impact of particular relevance to subsistence farmers in Ethiopia...
- A review of the ticks (Acari: Ixodida) of Turkey: species diversity, hosts and geographical distributionAhmet Bursali
Department of Biology, Faculty of Science and Art, Gaziosmanpasa University, Tasliciftlik, 60250 Tokat, Turkey
Exp Appl Acarol 57:91-104. 2012..The taxonomic records in the literature and our studies on actual tick samples indicated that the tick fauna of Turkey consists of 46 species; 38 species from Ixodidae and 8 species from Argasidae.
- The role of cystatins in tick physiology and blood feedingAlexandra Schwarz
Laboratory of Genomics and Proteomics of Disease Vectors, Institute of Parasitology, Biology Centre, AS CR v v i, Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic
Ticks Tick Borne Dis 3:117-27. 2012..Finally, all the biochemically analyzed tick cystatins are powerful protease inhibitors, and some may be novel antigens for developing anti-tick vaccines and drugs of medical importance due to their stringent target specificity...
- Insects found in birds' nests from Argentina. Pseudoseisura lophotes Reichenbach, 1853 and Anumbius annumbi (Vieillot, 1817) (Aves: Furnariidae), hosts of Triatoma platensis Neiva, 1913 (Hemiptera: Reduviidae: Triatominae)Turienzo Paola
Entomología Departamento de Biodiversidad y Biología Experimental Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales 4º Piso, Pabellon II, Ciudad Universitaria C1428EHA, Buenos Aires, Argentina Email
Zootaxa 3766:1-82. 2014..Other simultaneous infestations of different hematophagous arthropods (Hemiptera: Cimidae; Reduviidae: Triatominae, and Acari: Argasidae) are remarked and discussed.
- Study on Presence of Borrelia persica in Soft Ticks in Western IranA Barmaki
Dept of Medical Entomology and Vector Control, School of Public Health, Tehran University of Medical Sciences TUMS, Tehran, Iran
Iran J Arthropod Borne Dis 4:19-25. 2010..A molecular survey was conducted to investigate the presence of pathogenic Borrelia persica species causing the tick borne relapsing fever (TBRF) in Takistan district Qazvin Province, western Iran...
- The movement of proteins across the insect and tick digestive systemLaura A Jeffers
Department of Entomology, Dearstyne Entomology Building, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27695 7647, USA
J Insect Physiol 54:319-32. 2008..Hemiptera, Lepidoptera, Orthoptera, Neuroptera and Siphonaptera, as well as in two tick families Ixodidae and Argasidae. Protein movement was observed for both normal dietary and xenobiotic proteins, which suggest that the mechanism ..
- A defensin-like gene expressed in the black-legged tick, Ixodes scapularisW L Hynes
Department of Biological Sciences, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, Virginia 23529, USA
Med Vet Entomol 19:339-44. 2005..This is in contrast to the defensins described for the soft tick, Ornithodoros moubata (sensu Walton) (Acari: Argasidae). The role of defensin in the innate immune response of I. scapularis following microbial invasions is discussed.
- Impact of ivermectin on the ultrastructure of the testis of Argas (Persicargas) persicus (Ixodoidea: Argasidae)Ashraf A Montasser
Department of Zoology, Faculty of Science, Ain Shams University, PO Box 11566, Cairo, Egypt
Exp Appl Acarol 36:119-29. 2005..The results suggest that IVM may bind to the neurotransmitter or the hormone involved in the process of sperm development or may be toxic to the germinal cells of A. persicus testis...
- The natural history of ticksJohn F Anderson
Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Med Clin North Am 86:205-18. 2002..They are classified into two major families, Ixodidae (hard-bodies ticks) and Argasidae (soft-bodied ticks). The Ixodidae is the largest and most important family...
- Ticks have R2 retrotransposons but not the consensus transposon target site of other arthropodsJ Bunikis
Department of Microbiology, University of California Irvine, Irvine, CA 92697 4025, USA
Insect Mol Biol 14:465-74. 2005..The substituted region comprises a critical contact point with small subunit rRNA, but in vitro structure probing analysis revealed novel, presumably stabilizing base-pairing...
- Population structure of Argas arboreus (Acari: Argasidae) ticks associated with seasonally abandoned mixed heronries, dominated by cattle egrets (Bubulcus ibis), in South AfricaV N Belozerov
Biological Research Institute, St Petersburg State University, Stary Peterhof, 198504, Russia
Onderstepoort J Vet Res 70:325-30. 2003..Many ticks showed morphological anomalies and malformations, the study of which could possibly be used for monitoring of environmental pollution...
- The high genetic variation of viruses of the genus Nairovirus reflects the diversity of their predominant tick hostsJessica E Honig
Special Pathogens Branch, Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Virology 318:10-6. 2004..Hosts of these viruses include both the hard (family Ixodidae) and soft (family Argasidae) ticks...
- Phylogeny of the hard ticks (Ixodidae) inferred from 18S rRNA indicates that the genus Aponomma is paraphyleticS J Dobson
Department of Parasitology, The University of Queensland, St Lucia, Queensland, 4072, Australia
Mol Phylogenet Evol 11:288-95. 1999..Sequences for 13 hard ticks (Family Ixodidae), 5 soft ticks (Family Argasidae), and 2 mesostigmatid mites were obtained from the GenBank database and we generated sequences for 15 hard ticks ..
- Tick-borne virusesM Labuda
Institute of Zoology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Dubravska cesta 9, 845 06 Bratislava, Slovakia
Parasitology 129:S221-45. 2004..Virus-tick-vertebrate host relationships are highly specific and less than 10% of all tick species (Argasidae and Ixodidae) are known to play a role as vectors of arboviruses...
- Novel rearrangements of arthropod mitochondrial DNA detected with long-PCR: applications to arthropod phylogeny and evolutionR L Roehrdanz
Biosciences Research Laboratory, Red River Valley Agricultural Research Center, Agricultural Research Service, United States Department of Agriculture, Fargo, North Dakota 58105, USA
Mol Biol Evol 19:841-9. 2002..Taxa exhibiting rearrangements can be targeted for DNA sequencing of gene boundaries to establish the details of the mtDNA organization...
- Ticks of Australia. The species that infest domestic animals and humansStephen C Barker
Department of Parasitology, School of Chemistry and Molecular Biosciences, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD, 4072, Australia Email
Zootaxa 3816:1-144. 2014..There are 71 figures and tables, including a glossary character matrices, drawings of life-cycles, drawings of genera, species, and colour photographs of tick biology. ..
- Ornithodoros moubata, a soft tick vector for Rickettsia in east Africa?Sally J Cutler
Bacterial Zoonoses, Department of Statutory and Exotic Bacterial Diseases, Veterinary Laboratories Agency, Woodham Lane, New Haw, Addlestone, Surrey KT15 3NB, UK
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1078:373-7. 2006Omithodoros moubata complex (Argasidae) ticks collected from human dwellings in central Tanzania were found to carry a novel rickettsial species that clustered among the spotted fever group...
- Gluttony and sex in female ixodid ticks: how do they compare to other blood-sucking arthropods?W Reuben Kaufman
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alta, Canada T6G 2E9
J Insect Physiol 53:264-73. 2007..Virgin haematophagous insects, and virgin ticks of the family Argasidae display little, if any, reduction in blood meal size compared to mated females, at least not during the first ..
- Disaggregation of aggregated platelets by savignygrin, a alphaIIbeta3 antagonist from Ornithodoros savignyiBen J Mans
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Biological and Agricultural Sciences, University of Pretoria, Pretoria 0002, South Africa
Exp Appl Acarol 27:231-9. 2002..This is the second mediator of platelet disaggregation found in soft ticks and suggests that disaggregation of aggregated platelets might play an important part in the anti-hemostatic strategy of ticks...
- Molecular divergences of the Ornithodoros sonrai soft tick species, a vector of human relapsing fever in West AfricaL Vial
UMR IRD CNRS 2724, Génétique et Evolution des Maladies Infectieuses, IRD Montpellier, 911 Avenue Agropolis, 34394 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Microbes Infect 8:2605-11. 2006..sonrai and B. crocidurae. However, differences in infection rates were significant, suggesting different vector competences between subgroups of O. sonrai...
- An annotated list of the ticks (Ixodidae and Argasidae) of MississippiJerome Goddard
Mississippi Department of Health, Jackson, MS 39215, USA
J Vector Ecol 31:206-9. 2006
- Ontogeny of tick hemocytes: a comparative analysis of Ixodes ricinus and Ornithodoros moubataBarbara Borovicková
Faculty of Biological Sciences, University of South Bohemia and Institute of Parasitology, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Branisovska 31, 370 05 Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic
Exp Appl Acarol 35:317-33. 2005..moubata. This cell type does not seem to be homologous to any I. ricinus hemocyte and may represent a cell type typical of soft ticks only. Possible ontogenetic lineages of the hemocytes of both tick-species were inferred...
- Experimental transmission of Karshi and Langat (tick-borne encephalitis virus complex) viruses by Ornithodoros ticks (Acari: Argasidae)M J Turell
Virology Division, U S Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, Fort Detrick, Frederick, MD 21702, USA
J Med Entomol 41:973-7. 2004..Therefore, Ornithodoros spp. should be considered as potential vectors and as possible long-term maintenance hosts for Karshi virus and other members of the tick-borne encephalitis virus complex...
- Life cycle of Ornithodoros rostratus (Acari: Argasidae) under experimental conditions and comments on the host-parasite relationship in the Pantanal wetland region, BrazilCarla Carolina Dias Uzedo Ribeiro
Departamento de Parasitologia Animal, Instituto de Veterinaria, Universidade Federal Rural do Rio de Janeiro, Seropedica, RJ 23890 000, Brazil
Exp Appl Acarol 61:139-46. 2013..The overall duration of the life cycle of O. rostratus ranged from approximately 66 to 136 days. Comments on the tick-host relationship in the Pantanal region are offered...
- Antibacterial hemoglobin fragments from the midgut of the soft tick, Ornithodoros moubata (Acari: Argasidae)Yoshiro Nakajima
Institute of Agriculture and Forestry, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, 305 8572, Japan
J Med Entomol 40:78-81. 2003..1999). Similar immune mechanisms in the two major families of ticks, Ixodidae and Argasidae, appear to use the hemoglobin of the host as an antimicrobial agent in midgut defense.
- Tickcidal effect of monoclonal antibodies against hemocytes, Om21, in an adult female tick, Ornithodoros moubata (Acari: Argasidae)Tomohide Matsuo
National Research Center for Protozoan Diseases, Obihiro University of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine, Obihiro, Hokkaido 080 8555, Japan
J Parasitol 90:715-20. 2004..However, the target of Om21 could not be identified in the present study. The antihemocyte mAb produced in this study, Om21, may be useful for the immunological control of ticks...
- Up-regulated humoral immune response in the soft tick, Ornithodoros moubata (Acari: Argasidae)Yoshiro Nakajima
Institute of Agriculture and Forestry, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, 305 8572, Ibaraki, Japan
Parasitol Res 91:476-81. 2003..These findings demonstrate that defensin plays an important role in the up-regulated humoral response of O. moubata...
- Genetic structure of the tick Ornithodoros coriaceus (Acari: Argasidae) in California, Nevada, and OregonMike B Teglas
Department of Pathology, Microbiology and Immunology, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, One Shields Avenue, Davis, CA 95616, USA
J Med Entomol 42:247-53. 2005..Overall, very little evidence of gene flow among tick populations was detected, making it unlikely that widespread tick movement had introduced O. coriaceus and the EBA agent into new regions...
- Determination of an efficient and reliable method for DNA extraction from ticksLénaïg Halos
UMR 956 INRA AFSSA ENVA UVPM, Microbiologie, Ecole Nationale Veterinaire, 7 Avenue du General de Gaulle, 94703 Maisons Alfort, France
Vet Res 35:709-13. 2004..Method 3 was however more adapted to cohort studies than method 2. This technique was validated for cohort tick DNA extraction and applicable to the treatment of small samples such as nymphs and soft ticks with 100% efficiency...
- Subolesin/akirin orthologs from Ornithodoros spp. soft ticks: cloning, RNAi gene silencing and protective effect of the recombinant proteinsRaúl Manzano-Román
Parasitología Animal, Instituto de Recursos Naturales y Agrobiología de Salamanca IRNASA, CSIC, Cordel de Merinas, 40 52, 37008 Salamanca, Spain
Vet Parasitol 185:248-59. 2012..These preliminary results encourage further studies on the use of recombinant subolesins as vaccines for the control of soft tick infestations, either alone or in combination with other specific molecules...
- Larval feeding performance of two Neotropical Ornithodoros ticks (Acari: Argasidae) on reptilesJose M Venzal
Departamento de Parasitología Veterinaria, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad de la Republica, Av Alberto Lasplaces 1550, CP 11600, Montevideo, Uruguay
Exp Appl Acarol 39:315-20. 2006..In O. rostratus detachment begins at 1.5 h and lasts until day 10. These values of feeding on reptiles are different from those obtained on mammals (average 5.6 days for O. puertoricensis and 2.9 for O. rostratus)...
- Mortality caused by experimental infection with the yeast Candida haemulonii in the adults of Ornithodoros moubata (Acarina: Argasidae)G Loosova
Institute of Parasitology, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic and Faculty of Biological Sciences, University of South Bohemia, Ceske Budejovice
Folia Parasitol (Praha) 48:149-53. 2001..Thus phagocytosis seems to be a potent defence reaction against spreading and multiplying of the yeast C. haemulonii within the tick haemocoel...
- Life cycle of Ornithodoros mimon (Acari: Argasidae) under laboratory conditionsGabriel Alves Landulfo
Departamento de Parasitologia Animal DPA, Instituto de Veterinária IV, Universidade Federal Rural do Rio de Janeiro UFRRJ, Seropedica, RJ, 23890 000, Brazil
Exp Appl Acarol 58:69-80. 2012..First nymphal instar (N1) molted to second nymphal instar (N2) without blood meal. The species life cycle was elucidated for the first time...
- [A woman with a biting arthropod]Jaap J van Hellemond
Havenziekenhuis, afd Medische Microbiologie en Infectieziekten, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 156:A3694. 2012..The diagnosis, a bite of a soft tick, was made by determination of the arthropod as a pigeon tick (Argas reflexus). Pigeon ticks only occasionally bite humans and can transmit multiple infectious diseases...
- Maternal care in the soft tick Antricola marginatusM B Labruna
Department of Preventive Veterinary Medicine and Animal Health, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, 05508 270, Brazil
J Parasitol 98:876-7. 2012..Our findings also indicate that maternal care evolved independently in different taxa of Arachnida, since it has been reported for species of Araneae, Scorpiones, and Amblypygi, and here for an Acari species...
- Transovarial transmission of Borrelia spirochetes by Ixodes scapularis: a summary of the literature and recent observationsLindsay Rollend
Yale School of Public Health, 60 College Street, New Haven, CT 06520 8034, USA
Ticks Tick Borne Dis 4:46-51. 2013..although more closely related to the relapsing fever-group Borrelia typically transmitted by soft ticks (Argasidae)...
- The influence of the fasting period on the number of nymphal instars and on the sex ratio of Argas (Persicargas) miniatus (Acari: Argasidae)Huarrisson Azevedo Santos
Curso de Pós Graduação em Ciências Veterinárias, Universidade Federal Rural do Rio de Janeiro UFRRJ, BR 465, Km 7, CEP 23890 000, Seropedica RJ, Brazil
Rev Bras Parasitol Vet 19:164-8. 2010..In conclusion, the nymphal starvation period of 60 days determined the number of nymph instars in the life cycle of A. miniatus under the experimental conditions studied...
- BIOLOGY AND CONTROL OF LYME DISEASE BORRELIAAlan Barbour; Fiscal Year: 2004..burgdorferi, its transmission, and reservoir host immunize responses. The results may also have relevance for the control of other vector-bone zoonotic diseases and perhaps for development of novel methods for vaccine delivery. ..
- MOLECULAR GENETIC MARKERS FOR TICK VECTORSHARRY HUTCHESON; Fiscal Year: 2002..I.) pacificus and I. (Ixodiopsis) woodi using 3 B. burgdorferi strains from the northeastern, southeastern, and western regions of the USA. ..