Genomes and Genes
Summary: A genus of the family Lemuridae consisting of five species: L. catta (ring-tailed lemur), L. fulvus, L. macaco (acoumba or black lemur), L. mongoz (mongoose lemur), and L. variegatus (white lemur). Most members of this genus occur in forested areas on Madagascar and the Comoro Islands.
Publications206 found, 100 shown here
- Forelimb proportions and kinematics: how are small primates different from other small mammals?Manuela Schmidt
Institut fur Spezielle Zoologie und Evolutionsbiologie, Friedrich Schiller Universitat Jena, Erbertstrasse 1, D 07743 Jena, Germany
J Exp Biol 211:3775-89. 2008..The initial changes in forelimb kinematics might, therefore, be explained as solutions to a constraint rather than as adaptations to the particular demands of arboreal locomotion...
- Primate comparative genomics: lemur biology and evolutionJulie E Horvath
Duke Institute for Genome Sciences and Policy, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708, USA
Trends Genet 23:173-82. 2007..Combining research in chromosome evolution, genome evolution and behavior with lemur comparative genomic sequencing will offer insights into many levels of primate evolution...
- Female dominance status and fecal corticoids in a cooperative breeder with low reproductive skew: ring-tailed lemurs (Lemur catta)S A Cavigelli
Department of Psychology and Institute for Mind and Biology, University of Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Horm Behav 43:166-79. 2003..e., where reproduction is not limited to dominant group members): ring-tailed lemurs (Lemur catta)...
- Edge effects and their influence on lemur density and distribution in Southeast MadagascarShawn M Lehman
Department of Anthropology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario M5S 3G3, Canada
Am J Phys Anthropol 129:232-41. 2006..In total, 415 lemur surveys were conducted during June-October 2003 and May-September 2004 along six 1,250-m transects that ran ..
- Life history of Eulemur fulvus rufus from 1988-1998 in southeastern MadagascarD J Overdorff
Department of Anthropology, University of Texas Austin, 78712 1086, USA
Am J Phys Anthropol 108:295-310. 1999....
- Food procurement and tooth use in two sympatric lemur speciesNayuta Yamashita
Department of Cell and Neurobiology, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90089 9112, USA
Am J Phys Anthropol 121:125-33. 2003This study of two lemur species (Lemur catta and Propithecus v. verreauxi) in Madagascar combines observations of food procurement and initial food placement in the mouth with comparisons to food toughness and external properties...
- A comparative analysis of serial ordering in ring-tailed lemurs (Lemur catta)Dustin Merritt
Center for Cognitive Neuroscience, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina 27708 0999, USA
J Comp Psychol 121:363-71. 2007..Lemurs' accuracy and response times were similar to monkeys, thus suggesting that they may share mechanisms for serial organization that dates to a common primate ancestor...
- Adaptive and phylogenetic significance of ontogenetic sequences in Archaeolemur, subfossil lemur from MadagascarS J King
Department of Anthropology, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts 01003 9278, USA
J Hum Evol 41:545-76. 2001..of Archaeolemur to that of living strepsirrhines we collected data on Propithecus verreauxi, Eulemur fulvus, and Lemur catta...
- Assessing flavivirus, lentivirus, and herpesvirus exposure in free-ranging ring-tailed lemurs in southwestern MadagascarKerry Sondgeroth
Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Pathology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado, 80523 USA
J Wildl Dis 43:40-7. 2007The ring-tailed lemur (Lemur catta) is an endangered species found in southwestern Madagascar, and understanding infectious disease susceptibility is an essential step towards the preservation of wild and captive lemur populations...
- Use of total dietary fiber across four lemur species (Propithecus verreauxi coquereli, Hapalemur griseus griseus, Varecia variegata, and Eulemur fulvus): does fiber type affect digestive efficiency?J L Campbell
Interdepartmental Nutrition Program, Department of Animal Science, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
Am J Primatol 64:323-35. 2004In vivo digestibility and transit of two experimental diets were compared across four lemur species for which gastrointestinal morphology and preliminary data on physiology differ:Varecia variegata (VV), Eulemur fulvus (EF), Propithecus ..
- Chemical composition of scent marks in the ringtailed lemur (Lemur catta): glandular differences, seasonal variation, and individual signaturesElizabeth S Scordato
Department of Biological Anthropology and Anatomy, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708 0383, USA
Chem Senses 32:493-504. 2007The apocrine and sebaceous scent glands of ringtailed lemurs (Lemur catta) appear to serve different social functions...
- Spontaneous social orienting and gaze following in ringtailed lemurs (Lemur catta)Stephen V Shepherd
Department of Neurobiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Anim Cogn 11:13-20. 2008..We used a novel telemetric gaze-tracking system to record orienting behavior of ringtailed lemurs (Lemur catta) interacting with a naturalistic environment...
- Diet and nutrition in wild mongoose lemurs (Eulemur mongoz) and their implications for the evolution of female dominance and small group size in lemursDeborah J Curtis
School of Life Sciences, University of Surrey Roehampton, London SW15 3SN, UK
Am J Phys Anthropol 124:234-47. 2004....
- Body mass of wild ring-tailed lemurs in Berenty Reserve, Madagascar, with reference to tick infestation: a preliminary analysisNaoki Koyama
The Center for African Area Studies, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
Primates 49:9-15. 2008In 1999, we measured the body mass of 101 wild ring-tailed lemurs (Lemur catta) inhabiting the Berenty Reserve, Madagascar...
- External genital morphology of the ring-tailed lemur (Lemur catta): females are naturally "masculinized"Christine M Drea
Department of Biological Anthropology and Anatomy, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina 27708 0383, USA
J Morphol 269:451-63. 2008..The subjects for morphological study were 21 reproductively intact, adult ring-tailed lemurs (Lemur catta), including 10 females and 11 males, two of which (one per sex) subsequently died of natural causes and also ..
- A molecular approach to comparative phylogeography of extant Malagasy lemursJennifer Pastorini
Anthropologisches Institut, Universitat Zurich, Winterthurerstrasse 190, 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:5879-84. 2003..This study investigates genetic divergence among most extant lemur taxa in relation to potential geographical boundaries to gene flow...
- Analysis of chromosome conservation in Lemur catta studied by chromosome paints and BAC/PAC probesMaria Francesca Cardone
Sezione di Genetica, DAPEG, Via Amendola 165/A, 70126 Bari, Italy
Chromosoma 111:348-56. 2002..in situ hybridization (FISH) experiments to investigate the chromosome conservation of the ring-tailed lemur (Lemur catta, LCA) with respect to human...
- Smelling right: the scent of male lemurs advertises genetic quality and relatednessMarie J E Charpentier
Department of Biological Anthropology and Anatomy, Duke University, 108 Biological Sciences Bldg, Science Drive, Box 90383, Durham, NC 27708 0383, USA
Mol Ecol 17:3225-33. 2008..Beyond showing that semiochemicals could underlie kin recognition and nepotism, we provide a putative olfactory mechanism to guide male-male competition and female mate choice...
- A composite molecular phylogeny of living lemuroid primatesMassimiliano Delpero
Dipartimento di Biologia Animale e dell Uomo, Universita di Torino, Torino, Italia
Folia Primatol (Basel) 77:434-45. 2006..3,600 bp to investigate the controversial relationships within the family Lemuridae. Here our analysis was more successful; only the position of Eulemur coronatus remained uncertain...
- Divergence dates for Malagasy lemurs estimated from multiple gene loci: geological and evolutionary contextAnne D Yoder
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Yale University, 21 Sachem Street, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Mol Ecol 13:757-73. 2004..For the mitochondrial DNA data set, we investigate the effects of sampling density within the mouse lemur radiation (genus Microcebus)...
- Decoding an olfactory mechanism of kin recognition and inbreeding avoidance in a primateMarylène Boulet
Department of Evolutionary Anthropology, 108 BioSci BLDG, Box 90383, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina, 27708, USA
BMC Evol Biol 9:281. 2009..approach that combined analyses of biochemical and microsatellite markers in 17 female and 19 male ring-tailed lemurs (Lemur catta), we describe odor-gene covariance to establish the feasibility of olfactory-mediated kin recognition.
- Reappraisal of the postcranium of Hadropithecus (Primates, Indroidea)L R Godfrey
Department of Anthropology, University of Massachusetts, Amherst 01003, USA
Am J Phys Anthropol 103:529-56. 1997Hadropithecus stenognathus (Lorenz von Liburnau  Anz. Akad. Wiss. Wien 36:255-257), a giant extinct lemur from Madagascar, has been reconstructed as primarily terrestrial and probably cursorial on the basis of its postcranial ..
- Even adult sex ratios in lemurs: Potential costs and benefits of subordinate males in Verreaux's sifaka (Propithecus verreauxi) in the Kirindy Forest CFPF, MadagascarPeter M Kappeler
Department of Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology, German Primate Center, 37077 Gottingen, Germany
Am J Phys Anthropol 140:487-97. 2009..Verreaux's sifakas (Propithecus verreauxi), a diurnal lemur, form multimale multifemale groups with the tendency toward even adult sex ratios despite a small average number ..
- Mating first, mating more: biological market fluctuation in a wild prosimianIvan Norscia
Centro Interdipartimentale Museo di Storia Naturale e del Territorio, Universita di Pisa, Calci PI, Italy
PLoS ONE 4:e4679. 2009..prosimians, the most ancestral primate group? To answer the question, we studied a scent-oriented and gregarious lemur, Propithecus verreauxi (sifaka), showing female dominance, promiscuous mating, and seasonal breeding...
- Adult play fighting and potential role of tail signals in ringtailed lemurs (Lemur catta)Elisabetta Palagi
Centro Interdipartimentale Museo di Storia Naturale e del Territorio, Universita di Pisa, Italy
J Comp Psychol 123:1-9. 2009..I focused on adult play fighting and the role of tail-play as a signal in ringtailed lemurs (Lemur catta)...
- A transitional endogenous lentivirus from the genome of a basal primate and implications for lentivirus evolutionRobert J Gifford
Division of Infectious Diseases, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:20362-7. 2008..Here, we report the discovery of an endogenous lentivirus in the genome of the gray mouse lemur (Microcebus murinus), a strepsirrhine primate from Madagascar, demonstrating that lentiviruses are capable of ..
- Evidence of early butchery of giant lemurs in MadagascarVentura R Perez
Department of Anthropology, 240 Hicks Way, University of Massachusetts Amherst, MA 01003 9278, USA
J Hum Evol 49:722-42. 2005..We compared these to the bones (also from Taolambiby) of butchered Propithecus verreauxi, a lemur still living in the region...
- New wrist bones of the Malagasy giant subfossil lemursM W Hamrick
Department of Anthropology and Division of Biomedical Sciences, Kent State University, Kent, OH 44242, USA
J Hum Evol 38:635-50. 2000..Comparative analysis of subfossil lemur wrist morphology complements and expands upon prior inferences based on other regions of the postcranial skeleton, ..
- Sociality in the gray mouse lemur (Microcebus murinus) in northwestern MadagascarU Radespiel
Institute of Zoology, Tierarztliche Hochschule Hannover, Germany
Am J Primatol 51:21-40. 2000The mating system and social organization of the gray mouse lemur (Microcebus murinus) was investigated in two three-month field studies (covering a period before, during, and after the first mating season) in Ampijoroa, northwestern ..
- Beyond odor discrimination: demonstrating individual recognition by scent in Lemur cattaElisabetta Palagi
Centro Interdipartimentale Museo di Storia Naturale e del Territorio, Universita di Pisa, Via Roma 79, 56011 Calci, Pisa, Italy
Chem Senses 31:437-43. 2006..the basis of this framework, we analyzed by gas chromatography 35 brachial secretions collected from 10 males of Lemur catta...
- Mating season aggression and fecal testosterone levels in male ring-tailed lemurs (Lemur catta)S A Cavigelli
Department of Psychology, University of Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Horm Behav 37:246-55. 2000..tested predictions of the hypothesis in a nonpaternal, seasonal breeding, prosimian primate (ring-tailed lemurs, Lemur catta)...
- Olfactory signals and the MHC: a review and a case study in Lemur cattaLeslie A Knapp
Primate Immunogenetics and Molecular Ecology Research Group, Department of Biological Anthropology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, United Kingdom
Am J Primatol 68:568-84. 2006..To explore the relationship between individual odor profiles and MHC alleles, we are studying ring-tailed lemurs (Lemur catta)...
- Mass change, environmental variability and female fertility in wild Propithecus verreauxiA F Richard
Department of Anthropology, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut, 06520, USA
J Hum Evol 39:381-91. 2000..these links is a necessary step toward explaining the function and evolution of distinctive features of lemur biology and behavior...
- Description of the gastrointestinal tract of five lemur species: Propithecus tattersalli, Propithecus verreauxi coquereli, Varecia variegata, Hapalemur griseus, and Lemur cattaJ L Campbell
Interdepartmental Nutrition Program and Department of Animal Science, North Carolina State University, Raleigh 27695 7621, USA
Am J Primatol 52:133-42. 2000..of this project was to better define the similarities and differences in gastrointestinal morphology present in lemur species...
- A chronology for late prehistoric MadagascarDavid A Burney
Department of Biological Sciences, Fordham University, Bronx, NY 10458, USA
J Hum Evol 47:25-63. 2004..cf. edwardsi) may have survived until the middle of the Second Millennium A.D. One specimen of Hippopotamus of unknown provenance dates to the period of European colonization...
- Ancient DNA from giant extinct lemurs confirms single origin of Malagasy primatesK Praveen Karanth
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Yale University, P.O. Box 208105, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:5090-5. 2005..By correlating the geographic location of subfossil specimens with relative amplification success, we reconfirm the global trend of increased success rates of ancient DNA recovery from nontropical localities...
- Unexpected species diversity of Malagasy primates (Lepilemur spp.) in the same biogeographical zone: a morphological and molecular approach with the description of two new speciesMathias Craul
Institute of Zoology, University of Veterinary Medicine Hannover, Hannover, Germany
BMC Evol Biol 7:83. 2007..biogeographic models by exploring the genetic and morphological divergence among populations of a widely distributed lemur genus, the sportive lemur (Lepilemur ssp.) along a 560 km long transect from western to northern Madagascar.
- Sex and seasonal differences in aggression and steroid secretion in Lemur catta: are socially dominant females hormonally 'masculinized'?Christine M Drea
Department of Biological Anthropology and Anatomy, Duke University, 08 Biological Sciences Bldg, Box 90383, Durham, NC 27708 0383, USA
Horm Behav 51:555-67. 2007..Consequently, I examined endocrine profiles and social interaction in the ringtailed lemur (Lemur catta) to search for a potential source of circulating androgen in adult females and an endocrine correlate ..
- Genetic assessment of a white-collared x red-fronted lemur hybrid zone at Andringitra, MadagascarYael M Wyner
Department of Entomology, American Museum of Natural History, New York, New York 10024, USA
Am J Primatol 57:51-66. 2002We examined a purported lemur (Eulemur fulvus rufusxE...
- Remarkable species diversity in Malagasy mouse lemurs (primates, Microcebus)A D Yoder
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:11325-30. 2000..This taxonomic revision doubles the number of recognized mouse lemur species...
- Development and application of a phylogenomic toolkit: resolving the evolutionary history of Madagascar's lemursJulie E Horvath
Institute for Genome Sciences and Policy, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina 27708, USA
Genome Res 18:489-99. 2008..Moreover, the methods applied will be broadly applicable to other taxonomic groups where phylogenetic relationships have been notoriously difficult to resolve...
- Multimodal signaling in wild Lemur catta: economic design and territorial function of urine markingElisabetta Palagi
Museo di Storia Naturale e del Territorio, Universita di Pisa, 56011, Calci PI, Italy
Am J Phys Anthropol 139:182-92. 2009Urine marking has been neglected in prosimian primates. Captive studies showed that the Malagasy prosimian Lemur catta scent marks with urine, as well as via specialized depositions. L...
- Biomedical evaluation of two sympatric lemur species (Propithecus verreauxi deckeni and Eulemur fulvus rufus) in Tsiombokibo Classified Forest, MadagascarRandall E Junge
Saint Louis Zoological Park, 1 Government Drive, St. Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Zoo Wildl Med 36:581-9. 2005..Enteric bacterial flora included Escherichia coli, Citrobacter ssp., Enterococcus faecalis, Bacillus cereus, Klebsiella ozaenae, Acinetobacter lwofii, and Enterobacter amnigenus...
- Improved recruitment of a lemur-dispersed tree in Malagasy dry forests after the demise of vertebrates in forest fragmentsK H Dausmann
Department of Animal Ecology and Tropical Biology, Biozentrum, Am Hubland, Julius Maximilians University Würzburg, Wurzburg, Germany
Oecologia 157:307-16. 2008..the dry forest of Madagascar, where the usual seed dispersers and vertebrate seed predators were absent, using a lemur-dispersed tree species (Strychnos madagascariensis; Loganiaceae) as an example...
- DNA from extinct giant lemurs links archaeolemurids to extant indriidsLudovic Orlando
Universite de Lyon, Institut de Génomique Fonctionnelle de Lyon, Institut Fédératif Biosciences Gerland Lyon Sud, Universite Lyon 1, CNRS, INRA, Ecole Normale Superieure de Lyon, 69364 Lyon Cedex 07, France
BMC Evol Biol 8:121. 2008....
- Severe wear and tooth loss in wild ring-tailed lemurs (Lemur catta): a function of feeding ecology, dental structure, and individual life historyFrank P Cuozzo
Department of Anthropology, University of North Dakota, Box 8374, Grand Forks, ND 58202 8374, USA
J Hum Evol 51:490-505. 2006..The relationship between tooth loss, feeding ecology, dental structure, and individual life history in this population has implications for interpreting behavior based on tooth loss in the hominid fossil record...
- Biomedical evaluation of free-ranging red ruffed lemurs (Varecia rubra) within the Masoala National Park, MadagascarChristopher J Dutton
Toronto Zoo, 361A Old Finch Avenue, Scarborough, Ontario M1B 5K7, Canada
J Zoo Wildl Med 39:76-85. 2008....
- Microbat paraphyly and the convergent evolution of a key innovation in Old World rhinolophoid microbatsEmma C Teeling
Department of Biology, University of California, Riverside, CA 92521, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:1431-6. 2002..An important implication of rhinolophoid polyphyly is independent evolution of key anatomical innovations associated with the nasal-emission of echolocation pulses...
- Biomedical evaluation of black lemurs (Eulemur macaco macaco) in Lokobe Reserve, MadagascarRandall E Junge
Saint Louis Zoo, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Zoo Wildl Med 38:67-76. 2007..Enteric bacterial flora included Enterococcus sp., Staphylococcus sp., Escherichia coli, Streptococcus sp., Klebsiella ozaenae and Bacillus cereus...
- Coprophagy by wild ring-tailed lemurs (Lemur catta) in human-disturbed locations adjacent to the Beza Mahafaly Special Reserve, MadagascarKrista D Fish
Department of Anthropology, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado 80301, USA
Am J Primatol 69:713-8. 2007..the 2003-2004 dry seasons at the Beza Mahafaly Special Reserve, Madagascar, we observed wild ring-tailed lemurs (Lemur catta) consuming dried fecal matter from three different species...
- Lateral bias to the leading limb in an olfactory social signal by male ring-tailed lemursAnne S Mertl-Millhollen
Department of Anthropology, University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon, USA
Am J Primatol 69:635-40. 2007Because ring-tailed lemurs (Lemur catta) show handedness during feeding, I investigated whether they also show lateral preference in the limbs used by males during scent marking...
- Rapid nonsynonymous evolution of the iron-sulfur protein in anthropoid primatesJeffrey W Doan
Center for Molecular Medicine and Genetics, Wayne State University School of Medicine, 540 E Canfield Avenue, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
J Bioenerg Biomembr 37:35-41. 2005..Nevertheless, we find that the catalytically active ISP has an accelerated rate of amino acid replacement in anthropoid primates whereas the catalytically inactive subunit 9 does not...
- Troop fission in wild ring-tailed lemurs (Lemur catta) at Berenty, MadagascarShinichiro Ichino
Graduate School of Asian and African Area Studies, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
Am J Primatol 68:97-102. 2006A detailed fission process in a wild ring-tailed lemur (Lemur catta) troop was observed at Berenty Reserve, Madagascar...
- Lemur responses to edge effects in the Vohibola III classified forest, MadagascarShawn M Lehman
Department of Anthropology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Am J Primatol 68:293-9. 2006..In this study, data are presented regarding how the densities of six lemur species (Avahi laniger, Cheirogaleus major, Eulemur rubriventer, Hapalemur griseus griseus, Microcebus rufus, and ..
- Attacks on a wild infant ring-tailed lemur (Lemur catta) by immigrant males at Berenty, Madagascar: interpreting infanticide by malesShinichiro Ichino
Graduate School of Asian and African Area Studies, Kyoto University, Japan
Am J Primatol 67:267-72. 2005An orphaned infant ring-tailed lemur (Lemur catta) was attacked persistently by immigrant males and disappeared with severe wounds at Berenty Reserve, Madagascar. Prior to the attacks, two troop members disappeared...
- Morphometrics of wild black-and-white ruffed lemurs [Varecia variegata; Kerr, 1792]Andrea L Baden
Interdepartmental Doctoral Program in Anthropological Sciences, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, New York 11794 4364, USA
Am J Primatol 70:913-26. 2008..g., unusually high lemur population densities, limited food resources, ecological isolation) of this introduced population...
- Effects of reproductive and social variables on fecal glucocorticoid levels in a sample of adult male ring-tailed lemurs (Lemur catta) at the Beza Mahafaly Reserve, MadagascarLisa Gould
Department of Anthropology, University of Victoria, Victoria, Canada
Am J Primatol 67:5-23. 2005..Males that live in a group with only a few (two or three) males may experience less physiological stress than those that live in groups with more males...
- Long-term changes in dominance ranks among ring-tailed lemurs at Berenty Reserve, MadagascarNaoki Koyama
Kyoto University, Ohtsu, Japan
Primates 46:225-34. 2005..was conducted between 1989 and 2001 to monitor changes in the dominance ranks among adult ring-tailed lemurs (Lemur catta) at Berenty Reserve, Madagascar. Adult females were observed to be dominant over adult males...
- The value of small size: loss of forest patches and ecological thresholds in southern MadagascarOrjan Bodin
Department of Systems Ecology, Stockholm University, 106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
Ecol Appl 16:440-51. 2006..production of, for example, beans, and (2) seed dispersal services based on the presence of ring-tailed lemurs (Lemur catta)...
- Large rivers do not always act as species barriers for Lepilemur spMathias Craul
Institute of Zoology, University of Veterinary Medicine Hannover, Buenteweg 17, 30559, Hannover, Germany
Primates 49:211-8. 2008Sportive lemurs constitute a highly diverse endemic lemur family (24 species) for which many biogeographic boundaries are not yet clarified...
- Aligning conservation priorities across taxa in Madagascar with high-resolution planning toolsC Kremen
Department of Environmental Sciences, Policy and Management, 137 Mulford Hall, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720 3114, USA
Science 320:222-6. 2008..Our findings further suggest that high-resolution multitaxonomic approaches to prioritization may be necessary to ensure protection for biodiversity in other global hot spots...
- Spatial variations in Eulemur fulvus rufus and Lepilemur mustelinus densities in MadagascarShawn M Lehman
Department of Anthropology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Folia Primatol (Basel) 78:46-55. 2007..Spatial characteristics of food abundance and quality may explain lemur density patterns in Vohibola III. Low E. f...
- Biomedical evaluation of free-ranging ring-tailed lemurs (Lemur catta) in three habitats at the Beza Mahafaly Special Reserve, MadagascarDavid S Miller
Animal Population Health Institute, 300 West Drake, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523, USA
J Zoo Wildl Med 38:201-16. 2007..physical examinations and biomedical sample collection were performed on 70 free-ranging ring-tailed lemurs (Lemur catta) from three different habitats in the Beza Mahfaly Special Reserve (BMSR), in southern Madagascar, to assess ..
- Divergent expression of cellular prion protein on blood cells of human and nonhuman primatesKarel Holada
Department of Immunology and Microbiology, 1st Medical Faculty, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
Transfusion 47:2223-32. 2007..Nonhuman primates are the most relevant models of human prion diseases...
- Survey and comparison of major intestinal flora in captive and wild ring-tailed lemur (Lemur catta) populationsLynne M Villers
Indianapolis Zoo, Indianapolis, Indiana 46222, USA
Am J Primatol 70:175-84. 2008..of aerobic bacteria, protozoa and helminths was conducted on captive and wild populations of ring-tailed lemurs (Lemur catta). Samples were collected from 50 captive lemurs at 11 zoological institutions in the United States...
- Predation by Eulemur fulvus fulvus on a nestling of Terpsiphone mutata (Aves: Monarchidae) in dry forest in North-Western MadagascarT Mizuta
Department of Zoology, Graduate School of Science, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
Folia Primatol (Basel) 73:217-9. 2002
- Pollical oblique ligament in humans and non-human primatesMarvin Shrewsbury
Professor Emeritus, San Jose State University, California, USA
J Anat 202:397-407. 2003..the following species examined: chimpanzee, orangutan, gibbon, anubis baboon, hamadryas baboon, squirrel monkey, lemur and marmoset...
- Population and social dynamics changes in ring-tailed lemur troops at Berenty, Madagascar between 1989 - 1999Naoki Koyama
The Center for African Area Studies, Kyoto University, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
Primates 43:291-314. 2002..When males joined such a female-group, a new troop was formed. Although promoted by an increase in population, frequent emigrations of females from original troops are the characteristics of ring-tailed lemurs at Berenty...
- LemursAnne D Yoder
Department of Biology, Duke University, Box 90338, Durham, North Carolina 27708, USA
Curr Biol 17:R866-8. 2007
- Host range of poliovirus is restricted to simians because of a rapid sequence change of the poliovirus receptor gene during evolutionM Ida-Hosonuma
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute for Neuroscience, Tokyo, Japan
Arch Virol 148:29-44. 2003..Domain 1 of the PVR orthologs for the ring-tailed lemur and rabbit, which are not susceptible to PV, show only 51 and 61% amino acid sequence identity to that of human ..
- Somatic variation in living, wild ring-tailed lemurs (Lemur catta)Michelle L Sauther
Department of Anthropology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309, USA
Folia Primatol (Basel) 79:55-78. 2008..Here we provide such information for two distinct wild populations of Lemur catta. Variants observed include microtia, athelia, and female virilization...
- The relationship between female rank and reproductive parameters of the ringtailed lemur: a preliminary analysisYukio Takahata
School of Policy Studies, Kwansei Gakuin University, 2 1 Gakuen, Sanda, 669 1337, Japan
Primates 49:135-8. 2008..Between-group competition should lower the values of their reproductive parameters. In sum, these results fit the expectation from Wrangham's (1980) inter group feeding competition model...
- Demographic and life-history patterns in a population of ring-tailed lemurs (Lemur catta) at Beza Mahafaly Reserve, Madagascar: a 15-year perspectiveLisa Gould
Department of Anthropology, University of Victoria, Victoria, British Columbia V8W 3P5, Canada
Am J Phys Anthropol 120:182-94. 2003..3%. The greatest variability in fecundity is found among old females. We suggest that ring-tailed lemur females follow an "income breeding" strategy, i.e...
- Convergent evolution in primates and an insectivoreDario Boffelli
Genome Sciences Department, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, California 94720, USA
Genomics 83:19-23. 2004..sequence comparisons of multiple species with and without an LPA gene product, such as human, baboon, hedgehog, lemur, and mouse...
- Dental use wear in extinct lemurs: evidence of diet and niche differentiationLaurie R Godfrey
Department of Anthropology, University of Massachusetts, 240 Hicks Way, Amherst, MA 01003, USA
J Hum Evol 47:145-69. 2004..We draw dietary inferences for each of the 16 extinct lemur species in our database...
- Demography, life history, and social structure in Propithecus diadema edwardsi from 1986-2000 in Ranomafana National Park, MadagascarSharon T Pochron
Department of Anthropology, State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, New York 11794, USA
Am J Phys Anthropol 125:61-72. 2004..Specifically, we compare lemur survivorship and fertility patterns to two published composite models: one created for New World and another ..
- A comparison of morphological and chemical fruit traits between two sites with different frugivore assemblagesF A Voigt
Institut fur Zoologie, Abt Okologie, Johannes Gutenberg Universitat Mainz, Becherweg 13, 55099 Mainz, Germany
Oecologia 141:94-104. 2004..This suggests that fruit colour more than other morphological and chemical fruit traits, reflects food selection by the different frugivore assemblages of those two sites...
- A comparison of salivary pH in sympatric wild lemurs (Lemur catta and Propithecus verreauxi) at Beza Mahafaly Special Reserve, MadagascarFrank P Cuozzo
Department of Anthropology, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, North Dakota 58202 8374, USA
Am J Primatol 70:363-71. 2008..time between feeding and collection of pH data (from several minutes to nearly 1 hr), salivary pH for each wild lemur was above the "critical" pH of 5.5, below which enamel demineralization occurs...
- Biodiversity, phylogeography, biogeography and conservation: lemurs as an exampleUrs Thalmann
Anthropological Institute, University Zurich Irchel, and Jane Goodall Institute, Zurich, Switzerland
Folia Primatol (Basel) 78:420-43. 2007....
- High diversity in functional properties of melanocortin 1 receptor (MC1R) in divergent primate species is more strongly associated with phylogeny than coat colorTatjana Haitina
Department of Neuroscience, Division of Pharmacology, Biomedical Center, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Mol Biol Evol 24:2001-8. 2007..MSH binding was lost independently in lemur and New World monkey lineages, whereas high basal levels of MC1R activity occur in lemurs and some New World ..
- Loss of olfactory receptor genes coincides with the acquisition of full trichromatic vision in primatesYoav Gilad
Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology, Leipzig, Germany
PLoS Biol 2:E5. 2004..the howler monkey, have a significantly higher proportion of OR pseudogenes than do other New World monkeys or the lemur (a prosimian)...
- Seroepidemiology of Toxoplasma gondii in zoo animals in selected zoos in the midwestern United StatesSilvia de Camps
Department of Veterinary Preventive Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210 1092, USA
J Parasitol 94:648-53. 2008..antibodies were detected in 1 of 3 blue-eyed black lemurs (Eulemur macaco flavifrons), 1 of 21 ring-tailed lemurs (Lemur catta), 2 of 9 red-ruffed lemurs (Varecia variegata rubra), and 2 of 4 black- and white-ruffed lemurs (Varecia ..
- Comparative aspects of trophoblast development and placentationAnthony M Carter
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Southern Denmark, Winsloewparken 21, DK 5000 Odense, Denmark
Reprod Biol Endocrinol 2:46. 2004..This is also a likely scenario for Xenarthra and the bats. We argue that a definitive epitheliochorial placenta is a secondary specialization and that it evolved twice, once in the Laurasiatheria and once in the lemurs and lorises...
- Evolution of alanine:glyoxylate aminotransferase 1 peroxisomal and mitochondrial targeting. A survey of its subcellular distribution in the livers of various representatives of the classes Mammalia, Aves and AmphibiaC J Danpure
Biochemical Genetics Research Group, MRC Clinical Research Centre, Harrow, United Kingdom
Eur J Cell Biol 64:295-313. 1994..Type II animals include two New World monkeys (common marmoset, cotton-top tamarin), three prosimians (brown lemur, fat-tailed dwarf lemur, pygmy slow loris), five rodents (a hybrid crested porcupine, Colombian ground squirrel, ..
- Cineradiographic study of forelimb movements during quadrupedal walking in the brown lemur (Eulemur fulvus, Primates: Lemuridae)M Schmidt
Institut für Spezielle Zoologie und Evolutionsbiologie mit Museum, Friedrich Schiller Universitat Jena, D 07743 Jena, Germany
Am J Phys Anthropol 111:245-62. 2000Movements of forelimb joints and segments during walking in the brown lemur (Eulemur fulvus) were analyzed using cineradiography (150 frames/sec). Metric gait parameters, forelimb kinematics, and intralimb coordination are described...
- Genetically engineered Mengo virus vaccination of multiple captive wildlife speciesK A Backues
Tulsa Zoo and Living Museum, Oklahoma 74155, USA
J Wildl Dis 35:384-7. 1999..capped mangebey (Cercocebus torquatus), colobus (Colobus guereza), angolan colobus (Colobus angolensis), ruffed lemur (Lemur variegatus ruber and Lemur variegatus variegatus), back lemur (Lemur macaco), ring-tailed lemur (Lemur ..
- Body mass distribution and gait mechanics in fat-tailed dwarf lemurs (Cheirogaleus medius) and patas monkeys (Erythrocebus patas)Jesse W Young
Interdepartmental Doctoral Program in Anthropological Sciences, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY 11794, USA
J Hum Evol 53:26-40. 2007..Dwarf lemur experiments compared individuals with and without a greatly enlarged tail (a feature associated with torpor that ..
- Redistribution of CB1 cannabinoid receptors during evolution of cholinergic basal forebrain territories and their cortical projection areas: a comparison between the gray mouse lemur (Microcebus murinus, primates) and ratT Harkany
Laboratory of Molecular Neurobiology, Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics, Scheeles väg 1 A1, Karolinska Institutet, S 17177 Stockholm, Sweden
Neuroscience 135:595-609. 2005..cholinergic basal forebrain territories and their cortical projection areas in a prosimian primate, the gray mouse lemur. Perisomatic CB1 cannabinoid receptor immunoreactivity was unequivocally present in non-cholinergic neurons of the ..
- Neoplasia in prosimians: case series from a captive prosimian population and literature reviewA K Remick
WIL Biotechnics, LLC, Hillsborough, NC, USA
Vet Pathol 46:746-72. 2009..One hundred twenty-three cases of spontaneous neoplasia were identified in 101 prosimians from the Duke Lemur Center, and 124 cases were reported in 116 prosimians in the literature...
- New hand bones of Hadropithecus stenognathus: implications for the paleobiology of the ArchaeolemuridaePierre Lemelin
Division of Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, T6G 2H7
J Hum Evol 54:405-13. 2008..right hamate, left first metacarpal, and right and left fifth metacarpals) attributed to this rare subfossil lemur. These hand bones were compared to those of extant strepsirrhines and catarrhines in order to infer the positional ..
- A 12-month survey of gastrointestinal helminth infections of lemurs kept in two zoos in MadagascarFidisoa T Rasambainarivo
Madagascar Fauna Group, BP 442 Morafeno Toamasina, Madagascar
J Zoo Wildl Med 41:638-42. 2010..No significant differences were found for parasites from the other orders. No significant differences were noted between sexes or between seasons. No clinical signs of parasitic gastroenteritis were seen in either lemur collection.
- Lice and ticks of the eastern rufous mouse lemur, Microcebus rufus, with descriptions of the male and third instar nymph of Lemurpediculus verruculosus (Phthiraptera: Anoplura)Lance A Durden
Department of Biology, Georgia Southern University, 69 Georgia Avenue, Statesboro, Georgia 30460 8042, USA
J Parasitol 96:874-8. 2010..of 53 sucking lice (Insecta: Phthiraptera: Anoplura) and 28 hard ticks (Acari: Ixodidae) were collected from 36 lemur captures representing 26 different host individuals...
- Flying lemurs--the 'flying tree shrews'? Molecular cytogenetic evidence for a Scandentia-Dermoptera sister cladeWenhui Nie
State Key Laboratory of Genetic Resources and Evolution, Kunming Institute of Zoology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Kunming, Yunnan 650223, People s Republic of China
BMC Biol 6:18. 2008....
- Timely estrus in wild brown mouse lemur females at Ranomafana National Park, southeastern MadagascarMarina B Blanco
Department of Anthropology, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003, USA
Am J Phys Anthropol 145:311-7. 2011..I collected data on wild brown mouse lemur females at Ranomafana between 2004 and 2008 to determine: 1) the timing of estrus and estrous periodicities across ..
- Asynchronous colonization of Madagascar by the four endemic clades of primates, tenrecs, carnivores, and rodents as inferred from nuclear genesCeline Poux
Department of Biochemistry 161, Radboud University Nijmegen, 6500 HB, Nijmegen, PO Box 9101, The Netherlands
Syst Biol 54:719-30. 2005..We estimate that lemurs colonized Madagascar between 60 million years ago (Mya) (split from lorises) and 50 Mya (lemur radiation) (70-41 Mya taking 95% credibility intervals into account), tenrecs between 42 and 25 Mya (50-20 Mya), ..
- Convergent evolution of anthropoid-like adaptations in Eocene adapiform primatesErik R Seiffert
Department of Anatomical Sciences, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, New York 11794 8081, USA
Nature 461:1118-21. 2009..Adapiforms are commonly referred to as the 'lemur-like' primates of the Eocene epoch, and recent phylogenetic analyses have placed adapiforms as stem members of ..
- Molecular phylogeny and evolution of prosimians based on complete sequences of mitochondrial DNAsAtsushi Matsui
Department of Biosystems Science, The Graduate University for Advanced Studies Sokendai, Hayama, Kanagawa 240 0193, Japan
Gene 441:53-66. 2009..0 mya for primates. Furthermore, we reexamined the biogeographic scenarios which have been proposed for the origin of strepsirrhini (lemuriformes and lorisiformes) and for the dispersal of the lemuriformes and lorisiformes...
- Comparative analysis of Alu repeats in primate genomesGeorge E Liu
USDA, ARS, ANRI, Bovine Functional Genomics Laboratory, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
Genome Res 19:876-85. 2009..of the divergence distributions, phylogenies, and consensus sequences for Alu elements in primates including lemur, marmoset, macaque, baboon, and chimpanzee as compared to human...
- Reproductive cycles and contraception of black lemurs (Eulemur macaco macaco) with depot medroxyprogesterone acetate during the breeding seasonCheryl S Asa
Saint Louis Zoo, St Louis, Missouri
Zoo Biol 26:289-98. 2007..Zoo Biol 26:289-298, 2007. (c) 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc...
- Grooming patterns in Verreaux's sifakaRebecca J Lewis
Department of Anthropology, University of Texas, Austin, 78712, USA
Am J Primatol 72:254-61. 2010b>Lemur grooming has received very little attention in the literature. Nevertheless, allogrooming in lemurs has been suggested to be fundamentally different from the grooming of anthropoids...
- H-ras consensus sequence and mutations in primary hepatocellular carcinomas of lemurs and lorisesJ M Cullen
College of Veterinary Medicine, North Carolina State University, 4700 Hillsborough Street, Raleigh, NC 27606, USA
Vet Pathol 48:868-74. 2011..There were 4 silent mutations that did not contain changes in the encoded amino acids, 2 of which were found in nonneoplastic regions of tumor-bearing liver...
- Immune Therapy and Imaging in Mouse and Primate Models of Alzheimer's DiseaseEinar M Sigurdsson; Fiscal Year: 2010..benefits and side effects, in particular T-cell toxicity and cerebral bleeding, of A derivative immunotherapy in lemur primates...
- Immune Therapy and Imaging in Mouse and Primate Models of Alzheimer's DiseaseEinar Sigurdsson; Fiscal Year: 2009..benefits and side effects, in particular T-cell toxicity and cerebral bleeding, of A derivative immunotherapy in lemur primates...
- WITHIN-SPECIES VARIATIONS IN VISUAL CAPACITYGERALD JACOBS; Fiscal Year: 1992..Preliminary results suggest that there may be polymorphic variants leading to protanopia...
- WITHIN-SPECIES VARIATIONS IN VISUAL CAPACITYGERALD JACOBS; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- A Rodent Model of Behavioral InhibitionSONIA CAVIGELLI; Fiscal Year: 2004..This research will provide the basis for future research on the development and long-term consequences of behavioral inhibition / shyness. ..
- WITHIN-SPECIES VARIATIONS IN VISUAL CAPACITYGERALD JACOBS; Fiscal Year: 1980..Finally, a behavioral experiment on squirrel monkeys is proposed that involves an attempt to gain information as to the significance for normal behavior of this within-species variation in visual capacity...
- WITHIN SPECIES VARIATIONS IN VISUAL CAPACITYGERALD JACOBS; Fiscal Year: 2002..Preliminary results suggest that there may be polymorphic variants leading to protanopia. ..
- Animal models for TMJ research: Functional 3-D loadingKATHERINE RAFFERTY; Fiscal Year: 2003..The data we generate will be used in comparison with finite element predictions of mandibular deformations. ..
- Is Basonuclin essential for OogenesisHung Tseng; Fiscal Year: 2004..Sub aim 1 will use an RNAi approach to reduce the amount of basonuclin in oocytes; Sub aim 2 will use the Cre recombinase to knockout [the] basonuclin gene in oocytes. ..