Summary: An endosymbiont that is either a bacterium or fungus living part of its life in a plant. Endophytes can benefit host plants by preventing pathogenic organisms from colonizing them.
- Ali S, Duan J, Charles T, Glick B. A bioinformatics approach to the determination of genes involved in endophytic behavior in Burkholderia spp. J Theor Biol. 2014;343:193-8 pubmed..Like plant pathogens, endophytes gain entry into their plants hosts through various mechanisms...
- Fujita M, Kusajima M, Okumura Y, Nakajima M, Minamisawa K, Nakashita H. Effects of colonization of a bacterial endophyte, Azospirillum sp. B510, on disease resistance in tomato. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2017;81:1657-1662 pubmed publisher..These indicate that endophytic colonization with Azospirillum sp. B510 is able to activate the innate immune system also in tomato, which does not seem to be systemic acquired resistance. ..
- Long Y, Cui H, Liu X, Xiao Z, Wen S, She Z, et al. Acetylcholinesterase Inhibitory Meroterpenoid from a Mangrove Endophytic Fungus Aspergillus sp. 16-5c. Molecules. 2017;22: pubmed publisher..Compounds 3, 7, and 8 showed acetylcholinesterase (AchE) inhibitory activity with IC50 values of 2.50, 0.40, and 3.00 μM, respectively. ..
- Murali M, Mahendra C, Hema P, Rajashekar N, Nataraju A, Sudarshana M, et al. Molecular profiling and bioactive potential of an endophytic fungus Aspergillus sulphureus isolated from Sida acuta: a medicinal plant. Pharm Biol. 2017;55:1623-1630 pubmed publisher..No fungal endophytes of S. acuta are reported...
- Zaiyou J, Li M, Xiqiao H. An endophytic fungus efficiently producing paclitaxel isolated from Taxus wallichiana var. mairei. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7406 pubmed publisher..936?mg/L, and 20?mg/kg, respectively.An endophytic fungus efficiently producing paclitaxel was isolated from T wallichiana var. mairei. This isolated endophytic fungus can be used as a producing strain for paclitaxel manufacture. ..
- Luo J, Walsh E, Miller S, Blystone D, Dighton J, Zhang N. Root endophytic fungal communities associated with pitch pine, switchgrass, and rosette grass in the pine barrens ecosystem. Fungal Biol. 2017;121:478-487 pubmed publisher..This study also corroborates our previous finding that plant roots in the pine barrens are a rich reservoir of novel fungi. ..
- Nithya A, Babu S. Prevalence of plant beneficial and human pathogenic bacteria isolated from salad vegetables in India. BMC Microbiol. 2017;17:64 pubmed publisher..There is a greater potential to study the native endophytic plant beneficial bacteria for developing them as biocontrol agents against human pathogens that are harboured by plants. ..
- Liu L, Li L, Song Z, Wang S, Zhang J, Zhang X, et al. Parapedobacter deserti sp. nov., an endophytic bacterium isolated from Haloxylon ammodendron stems. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2017;67:2148-2152 pubmed publisher..nov. is proposed. The type strain is N5SSJ16T (=ACCC 19928T=KCTC 52416T). ..
- Glassner H, Zchori Fein E, Compant S, Sessitsch A, Katzir N, Portnoy V, et al. Characterization of endophytic bacteria from cucurbit fruits with potential benefits to agriculture in melons (Cucumis melo L.). FEMS Microbiol Ecol. 2015;91: pubmed publisherb>Endophytes are microorganisms that mainly colonize vegetative parts, but are also found in reproductive and disseminating organs, and may have beneficial characteristics...
- Peng S, Wang B, Xu J, Ding Z, Yuan X. [Effect of different treatment on endophytic bacterial communities in continuous cropping of Chrysanthemum morifoliu]. Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi. 2014;39:4763-8 pubmed..morifolium stays below than that in the rotation of Ch. morifolium, and fertilizer treatment can increase the diversity of continuous cropping so that it could mitigate hindrance in continuous cropping. ..
- Bibi F, Ullah I, Alvi S, Bakhsh S, Yasir M, Al Ghamdi A, et al. Isolation, diversity, and biotechnological potential of rhizo- and endophytic bacteria associated with mangrove plants from Saudi Arabia. Genet Mol Res. 2017;16: pubmed publisher..These bacteria are a source of novel halophilic enzymes and antibiotics that can find industrial and medicinal use. ..
- Fidalgo C, Rocha J, Martins R, Proença D, Morais P, Henriques I, et al. Altererythrobacter halimionae sp. nov. and Altererythrobacter endophyticus sp. nov., two endophytes from the salt marsh plant Halimione portulacoides. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2017;67:3057-3062 pubmed publisher..nov. (type strain CPA5T=CECT 9130T=LMG 29519T) and Altererythrobacter endophyticus sp. nov (type strain BR75T=CECT 9129T=LMG 29518T) are proposed. ..
- Huang Y, Kuang Z, Deng Z, Zhang R, Cao L. Endophytic bacterial and fungal communities transmitted from cotyledons and germs in peanut (Arachis hypogaea L.) sprouts. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int. 2017;24:16458-16464 pubmed publisherSeed-borne endophytes could be transmitted into sprouts. Whether this happened in peanuts and the difference between microbial taxa in peanut germs and cotyledons remain unknown...
- Verstraete B, Janssens S, RÃ¸nsted N. Non-nodulated bacterial leaf symbiosis promotes the evolutionary success of its host plants in the coffee family (Rubiaceae). Mol Phylogenet Evol. 2017;113:161-168 pubmed publisher..some clades of Rubiaceae (coffee family), a specific plant-bacteria interaction exists in which non-pathological endophytes are present in the leaves of their hosts...
- Ibrahim A, Sørensen D, Jenkins H, Ejim L, Capretta A, Sumarah M. Epoxynemanione A, nemanifuranones A-F, and nemanilactones A-C, from Nemania serpens, an endophytic fungus isolated from Riesling grapevines. Phytochemistry. 2017;140:16-26 pubmed publisher..Nemanifuranone A possesses a rare C2 hemiacetal and was active against both Gram-negative and Gram-positive bacteria. ..
- Batista A, Santos Pinto J, Batista J, Souza Moreira T, Santoni M, Zanelli C, et al. The Combined Use of Proteomics and Transcriptomics Reveals a Complex Secondary Metabolite Network in Peperomia obtusifolia. J Nat Prod. 2017;80:1275-1286 pubmed publisher..obtusifolia. However, the polyketide synthases possibly involved in the production of orsellinic acid could not be identified, suggesting that orsellinic acid may be produced by endophytes intimately associated with the plant.
- Subban K, Singh S, Subramani R, Johnpaul M, Chelliah J. Fungal 7-epi-10-deacetyltaxol produced by an endophytic Pestalotiopsis microspora induces apoptosis in human hepatocellular carcinoma cell line (HepG2). BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17:504 pubmed publisher..This is the first report for 7-epi-10-deacetyltaxol (EDT) isolated from a microbial source. ..
- Ntie Kang F, Telukunta K, Döring K, Simoben C, A Moumbock A, Malange Y, et al. NANPDB: A Resource for Natural Products from Northern African Sources. J Nat Prod. 2017;80:2067-2076 pubmed publisher..The current version of NANPDB is available at http://african-compounds.org/nanpdb/ . ..
- Katoch M, Phull S, Vaid S, Singh S. Diversity, Phylogeny, anticancer and antimicrobial potential of fungal endophytes associated with Monarda citriodora L. BMC Microbiol. 2017;17:44 pubmed publisher..ex Lag. (Lamiaceae/Labiatae). Anticancer and antimicrobial potential of isolated endophytes have also been investigated...
- Gutiérrez García K, Neira González A, Perez Gutierrez R, Granados Ramírez G, Zarraga R, Wrobel K, et al. Phylogenomics of 2,4-Diacetylphloroglucinol-Producing Pseudomonas and Novel Antiglycation Endophytes from Piper auritum. J Nat Prod. 2017;80:1955-1963 pubmed publisher..to around 1500 publically available genomes, we obtained and analyzed the sequences of nine novel Pseudomonas endophytes isolated from the antidiabetic medicinal plant Piper auritum...
- Katoch M, Paul A, Singh G, Sridhar S. Fungal endophytes associated with Viola odorata Linn. as bioresource for pancreatic lipase inhibitors. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17:385 pubmed publisher..The inhibition of pancreatic lipase is demonstrated by using the extracts of endophytes isolated from Viola odorata Linn. In addition, endophytes were identified using ITS based rDNA sequencing...
- Martín Sampedro R, López Linares J, Fillat U, Gea Izquierdo G, Ibarra D, Castro E, et al. Endophytic Fungi as Pretreatment to Enhance Enzymatic Hydrolysis of Olive Tree Pruning. Biomed Res Int. 2017;2017:9727581 pubmed publisher..A mild acid pretreatment has been combined with a fungal pretreatment using either two endophytes (Ulocladium sp. and Hormonema sp.) or a saprophyte (Trametes sp. I-62)...
- ..High-throughput technologies are revealing interactions between these complex communities and their hosts in unprecedented detail. ..
- Oliveira V, Gomes N, Almeida A, Silva A, Simões M, Smalla K, et al. Hydrocarbon contamination and plant species determine the phylogenetic and functional diversity of endophytic degrading bacteria. Mol Ecol. 2014;23:1392-1404 pubmed..These results suggest a potential ecological role of bacterial plant symbiosis in the process of plant colonization in urban estuarine areas exposed to PH contamination. ..
- Clayton W, Eaton C, Dupont P, Gillanders T, Cameron N, Saikia S, et al. Analysis of simple sequence repeat (SSR) structure and sequence within Epichloë endophyte genomes reveals impacts on gene structure and insights into ancestral hybridization events. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183748 pubmed publisherEpichloë grass endophytes comprise a group of filamentous fungi of both sexual and asexual species...
- Fidalgo C, Martins R, Proença D, Morais P, Alves A, Henriques I. Zunongwangia endophytica sp. nov., an endophyte isolated from the salt marsh plant, Halimione portulacoides, and emended description of the genus Zunongwangia. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2017;67:3004-3009 pubmed publisher..Overall, the analyses showed that strain CPA58T represents a novel species within the genus Zunongwangia, for which the name Zunongwangia endophytica sp. nov. is proposed, with the type strain CPA58T (=CECT 9128T=LMG 29517T). ..
- Stierle A, Stierle D. Bioactive Secondary Metabolites Produced by the Fungal Endophytes of Conifers. Nat Prod Commun. 2015;10:1671-82 pubmed..Compounds were not included if they were exclusively phytotoxic or if they were isolated from active extracts but were not determined to be the active component of that extract. ..
- Song R, Wang X, Yin G, Liu R, Kong L, Yang M. Isocoumarin derivatives from the endophytic fungus, Pestalotiopsis sp. Fitoterapia. 2017;122:115-118 pubmed publisher..Compound 3 exhibited potent antifungal activity against Candida glabrata (ATCC 90030) with an MIC50 value of 3.49±0.21?g/mL. ..
- Cheplick G. Persistence of endophytic fungi in cultivars of Lolium perenne grown from seeds stored for 22 years. Am J Bot. 2017;104:627-631 pubmed publisher..i>lolii). This research determined whether endophytes could persist and infect seedlings of L. perenne emerging from seeds stored for over two decades...
- Kim D, Abdelaziz M, Ntui V, Guo X, Al Babili S. Colonization by the endophyte Piriformospora indica leads to early flowering in Arabidopsis thaliana likely by triggering gibberellin biosynthesis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;490:1162-1167 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data indicate that P. indica promotes early flowering in Arabidopsis likely by increasing gibberellin content. ..
- Das A, Rahman M, Ferdous A, Amin A, Rahman M, Nahar N, et al. An endophytic Basidiomycete, Grammothele lineata, isolated from Corchorus olitorius, produces paclitaxel that shows cytotoxicity. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178612 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that the fungal endophyte, Grammothele lineata can be an excellent source of taxol and can also serve as a potential species for chemical and genetic engineering to enhance further the production of taxol...
- Gundel P, Rudgers J, Whitney K. Vertically transmitted symbionts as mechanisms of transgenerational effects. Am J Bot. 2017;104:787-792 pubmed publisher..We hope our contribution will spark new lines of research on the transgenerational effects of vertically transmitted symbionts in plants. ..
- Pelizza S, Mariottini Y, Russo L, Vianna M, Scorsetti A, Lange C. Beauveria bassiana (Ascomycota: Hypocreales) Introduced as an Endophyte in Corn Plants and Its Effects on Consumption, Reproductive Capacity, and Food Preference of Dichroplus maculipennis (Orthoptera: Acrididae: Melanoplinae). J Insect Sci. 2017;17: pubmed publisher..1?mg on plants treated with B. bassiana as an endophyte. In summary, we observed that B. bassiana as a corn plant endophyte negatively affected the daily consumption rate, fecundity and food preference of D. maculipennis. ..