Summary: Organic mercury compounds in which the mercury is attached to a phenyl group. Often used as fungicides and seed treatment agents.
- Kleinzeller A, Booz G, Mills J, Ziyadeh F. pCMBS-induced swelling of dogfish (Squalus acanthias) rectal gland cells: role of the Na+,K(+)-ATPase and the cytoskeleton. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1990;1025:21-31 pubmed
- Musch M, Chauncey B, Schmid E, Kinne R, Goldstein L. Mechanisms of mercurial and arsenical inhibition of tyrosine absorption in intestine of the winter flounder Pseudopleuronectus americanus. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 1990;104:59-66 pubmed..Direct effects on Na-tyrosine cotransport may play a role in the inhibition observed with HgCl2, but not for PCMBS or OPA. ..
- Pauli M, Stranieri G, Bazerque P. Screening of antiadherent activity on Streptococcus sobrinus culture. Acta Odontol Latinoam. 1997;10:1-9 pubmed..We studied 23 compounds and we demonstrated that phenyl salicylate, phenylmercuric nitrate and potassium iodate are more effective to inhibit adhesion without showing antibacterial activity. ..
- Nyberg P, Heikkilä P, Sorsa T, Luostarinen J, Heljasvaara R, Stenman U, et al. Endostatin inhibits human tongue carcinoma cell invasion and intravasation and blocks the activation of matrix metalloprotease-2, -9, and -13. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:22404-11 pubmed..Our results also suggest that endostatin inhibits tumor progression by directly affecting the tumor cells and not just acting via endothelial cells and blockage of angiogenesis. ..
- Escudero L, Olsina R, Wuilloud R. Polymer-supported ionic liquid solid phase extraction for trace inorganic and organic mercury determination in water samples by flow injection-cold vapor atomic absorption spectrometry. Talanta. 2013;116:133-40 pubmed publisher..This work reports the first polymer-supported IL solid phase extraction approach implemented in a flow injection on-line system for determination of Hg species in mineral, tap and river water samples. ..
- Abbas M. Chemically modified carbon paste electrode for iodide determination on the basis of cetyltrimethylammonium iodide ion-pair. Anal Sci. 2003;19:229-33 pubmed..The electrode has been utilized as an end-point indicator electrode for the determination of Hg(II) and phenylmercury(I) in their aqueous solutions using potentiometric titration with a potassium iodide standard solution. ..
- Nakai Y, Umeda N, Suzuki T, Nakai M, Hayashi H, Watanabe K, et al. Yeast Nfs1p is involved in thio-modification of both mitochondrial and cytoplasmic tRNAs. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:12363-8 pubmed..These results suggest that Nfs1p is involved in the 2-thio-modification of both 5-carboxymethylaminomethyl-2-thiouridine in mt-tRNAs and mcm(5)s(2)U in cy-tRNAs. ..
- Murtaza I, Dutt A, Mushtaq D, Ali A. Molecular cloning and genetic analysis of functional merB gene from indian isolates of Escherichia coli. Curr Microbiol. 2005;51:297-302 pubmed..Further work is going on in our lab to exploit pIAAD3 merB for the bioremediation of mercury-polluted sites. ..
- Lee P, Hwang J, Mead L, Ip M. Functional role of matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) in mammary epithelial cell development. J Cell Physiol. 2001;188:75-88 pubmed..Finally, these drugs were found to enhance MMP secretion from MEC, although the activity of the secreted MMPs was inhibited as long as the drug was present...
- Fagan T, Mayhew S. Effects of thiols and mercurials on the periplasmic hydrogenase from Desulfovibrio vulgaris (Hildenborough). Biochem J. 1993;293 ( Pt 1):237-41 pubmed..This reactivation was followed by a slower irreversible inactivation, as also occurred with native enzyme; the inactivation was O2 dependent and it was partly prevented by catalase, suggesting that H2O2 may be involved. ..
- Roberts J, Kines R, Katki H, Lowy D, Schiller J. Effect of Pap smear collection and carrageenan on cervicovaginal human papillomavirus-16 infection in a rhesus macaque model. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2011;103:737-43 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that cytology screening in women might lead to a transient enhancement of susceptibility to HPV infection and that use of a carrageenan-based gel during the examination might mitigate this enhancement. ..
- Coates A, Tripp E. Comparison of two fluorochromes for flow cytometric assay of cellular glutathione content in human malignant melanoma. Melanoma Res. 1995;5:107-11 pubmed..Tumours metastatic to or beyond regional lymph nodes had significantly more cells with high GSH than primary tumours or regional recurrences. ..
- Kodamatani H, Matsuyama A, Saito K, Kono Y, Kanzaki R, Tomiyasu T. Sensitive determination method for mercury ion, methyl-, ethyl-, and phenyl-mercury in water and biological samples using high-performance liquid chromatography with chemiluminescence detection. Anal Sci. 2012;28:959-65 pubmed..The determination results were in good agreement with the values of the certified reference materials. ..
- Philbert M, Beiswanger C, Waters D, Reuhl K, Lowndes H. Cellular and regional distribution of reduced glutathione in the nervous system of the rat: histochemical localization by mercury orange and o-phthaldialdehyde-induced histofluorescence. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 1991;107:215-27 pubmed..The heterogeneous distribution of GSH and enzymes involved in the detoxification and/or excretion of xenobiotics in the nervous system may form a basis for selective cellular and/or regional expression of neurotoxicity...
- Miller B, Klein T, Opsahl M. The effect of a surgical lubricant on in vivo sperm penetration of cervical mucus. Fertil Steril. 1994;61:1171-3 pubmed..Nevertheless, the results from this study lead us to recommend avoidance of surgical lubricants by couples attempting pregnancy. ..
- Lacampagne A, Duittoz A, Bolaños P, Peineau N, Argibay J. Effect of sulfhydryl oxidation on ionic and gating currents associated with L-type calcium channels in isolated guinea-pig ventricular myocytes. Cardiovasc Res. 1995;30:799-806 pubmed..A participation of thiol functions on the gating of the calcium channel is proposed. ..
- Lee S, Xiao J, Knutson J, Lewis M, Han M. Zn2+ promotes the self-association of human immunodeficiency virus type-1 integrase in vitro. Biochemistry. 1997;36:173-80 pubmed..It should be noted, however, that the content of Zn2+ did not significantly affect the 3'-processing and strand transfer reactions with Mn2+ in vitro. ..
- Tortorella M, Arner E, Hills R, Gormley J, Fok K, Pegg L, et al. ADAMTS-4 (aggrecanase-1): N-terminal activation mechanisms. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2005;444:34-44 pubmed..In conclusion, the pro-form of ADAMTS-4 is not catalytically active and only a limited number of mechanisms mediate its N-terminal activation. ..
- Doulias P, Tenopoulou M, Raju K, Spruce L, Seeholzer S, Ischiropoulos H. Site specific identification of endogenous S-nitrosocysteine proteomes. J Proteomics. 2013;92:195-203 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: Posttranslational Protein modifications in biology and Medicine. ..
- Bizily S, Kim T, Kandasamy M, Meagher R. Subcellular targeting of methylmercury lyase enhances its specific activity for organic mercury detoxification in plants. Plant Physiol. 2003;131:463-71 pubmed..In summary, to maximize phytoremediation efficiency of hydrophobic pollutants in plants, it may be beneficial to target enzymes to specific subcellular environments. ..
- Gordiyenko O, Kovalenko G, Kovalenko I, Kholodnyy V, Linnik T, Gordiyenko E. Permeability of rat and rabbit erythrocyte membranes for a series of amides. Bioelectrochemistry. 2008;73:141-4 pubmed publisher..The differences in permeability between rat and rabbit erythrocyte membranes could arise in particular as a result of the differences in lipid composition. ..
- Fernandez C, Conceição A, Rial Otero R, Vaz C, Capelo J. Sequential flow injection analysis system on-line coupled to high intensity focused ultrasound: green methodology for trace analysis applications as demonstrated for the determination of inorganic and total mercury in waters and urine by cold vapor a. Anal Chem. 2006;78:2494-9 pubmed..The inherent advantages of SIA, FIA, and HIFU applications in terms of high throughput, automation, low reagent consumption, and green chemistry are accomplished together for the first time in the present work. ..
- Kiyono M, Uno Y, Omura T, Pan Hou H. Role of MerT and MerP from Pseudomonas K-62 plasmid pMR26 in the transport of phenylmercury. Biol Pharm Bull. 2000;23:279-82 pubmed..These results clearly demonstrated that the vicinal cysteine residues of MerT are not involved in the transport of C6H5Hg+, but indeed are involved in the transport of Hg2+ as previously reported. ..
- Sato E, Suzuki A, Kanaoka Y, Kimura K. Heterocycles related to nucleotides. XI. An organomercurial column chromatography for thiouridine. J Pharmacobiodyn. 1990;13:487-92 pubmed..Oligonucleotides containing 4-thiouridilic acid were also separated from the ribonuclease-T1 digests of unfractionated transfer ribonucleic acid of E. coli. ..
- Wang Y, Mahler I, Levinson H, Halvorson H. Cloning and expression in Escherichia coli of chromosomal mercury resistance genes from a Bacillus sp. J Bacteriol. 1987;169:4848-51 pubmed..Shortening the cloned fragment to 3.8 kb abolished resistance to PMA but not to HgCl2. In Bacillus subtilis, the 3.8-kb fragment produced mercuric reductase constitutively but did not produce resistance to HgCl2 or to PMA. ..
- Edghill L, Russell A, Day M, Furr J. Rapid evaluation of biocidal activity using a transposon-encoded catechol 2,3-dioxygenase from Pseudomonas putida. J Appl Microbiol. 1999;87:91-8 pubmed
- Vukovic V, Nicklee T, Hedley D. Multiparameter fluorescence mapping of nonprotein sulfhydryl status in relation to blood vessels and hypoxia in cervical carcinoma xenografts. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2002;52:837-43 pubmed..The results of this study indicate differential expression of NPSH levels in regions of hypoxia that are proximal or distal to blood vessels in SiHa tumors. ..
- Liu Z, Zhu Z, Zheng H, Hu S. Plasma jet desorption atomization-atomic fluorescence spectrometry and its application to mercury speciation by coupling with thin layer chromatography. Anal Chem. 2012;84:10170-4 pubmed publisher..7 pg. The combination of TLC with PJDA-AFS provides a simple, cost-effective, relatively high-throughput way for mercury speciation...
- Chiles T, Dudeck Collart K, Kilberg M. Inactivation of amino acid transport in rat hepatocytes and hepatoma cells by PCMBS. Am J Physiol. 1988;255:C340-5 pubmed..These results illustrate the significant differences that exist between normal and transformed liver cells in respect to amino acid transport inactivation by sulfhydryl reagents. ..
- Canfield L. Vitamin K-dependent oxygenase/carboxylase; differential inactivation by sulfhydryl reagents. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1987;148:184-91 pubmed..These data argue that separate active sites are required to support vitamin K-dependent epoxide formation and carboxylation and that the binding site vitamin K oxygenase contains an active thiol group...
- Gombos B, Merva M, Sekula F, Koci M. Phenylmercury and its mobilization in the organism by a metal complex-forming substance: 2,3-dimercapto-1-propane sodium sulfonate. Med Lav. 1996;87:297-304 pubmed..Most probably, it was a case of interpotentiation of the effects of toxic and non-toxic nature. ..
- Zhang Z, Humphreys B, Bonventre J. Shedding of the urinary biomarker kidney injury molecule-1 (KIM-1) is regulated by MAP kinases and juxtamembrane region. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2007;18:2704-14 pubmed..Mutagenesis studies demonstrated that the juxtamembrane secondary structure, not the primary amino acid sequence, was critical to the cleavage of KIM-1. ..
- Pribilincová J, Marettová E, Kosucký J, Maretta M. The effect of phenyl mercury on reproductive performance in laying hens. Acta Vet Hung. 1996;44:377-87 pubmed..The addition of selenium had a protective effect upon residual Hg deposits in the yolk, but not in the egg-white. ..
- Bellet J, Grichnik J. Surgilube as a replacement for oil during dermoscopic examination. Arch Dermatol. 2003;139:389 pubmed
- Pearce R, Owen A, Daniel S, Jenner P, Marsden C. Alterations in the distribution of glutathione in the substantia nigra in Parkinson's disease. J Neural Transm (Vienna). 1997;104:661-77 pubmed
- Frolenkov G, Belyantseva I, Kurc M, Mastroianni M, Kachar B. Cochlear outer hair cell electromotility can provide force for both low and high intensity distortion product otoacoustic emissions. Hear Res. 1998;126:67-74 pubmed..Our results suggest that the OHC electromotility might provide the force for DPOAE generation not only at low, but also at high stimulus intensities. ..
- Brazier D, Hitchings R. Atypical band keratopathy following long-term pilocarpine treatment. Br J Ophthalmol. 1989;73:294-6 pubmed..Symptoms of reduced acuity, visual haloes, and recurrent epithelial erosions were relieved by removal of the opacities. ..
- Brown Galatola C, Hall N. Impaired suppressor cell activity due to surface sulphydryl oxidation in rheumatoid arthritis. Br J Rheumatol. 1992;31:599-603 pubmed..Such a mechanism may be at least partly responsible for the defective immunoregulation seen in rheumatoid patients and thus be a relevant target for thiol containing antirheumatic drugs. ..
- Caputo C, Bolaños P, Gonzalez A. Effects of sulfhydryl inhibitors on depolarizations-contraction coupling in frog skeletal muscle fibers. J Gen Physiol. 1993;101:411-24 pubmed..Furthermore, after loss of the contractile responses by the action of PCMB or PHMPS, addition of 2 mM DTT causes recovery of tension development capacity. ..
- Bizily S, Rugh C, Meagher R. Phytodetoxification of hazardous organomercurials by genetically engineered plants. Nat Biotechnol. 2000;18:213-7 pubmed..An in vivo assay demonstrated that both transgenes are required for plants to detoxify organic mercury by converting it to volatile and much less toxic elemental mercury. ..
- Beck M, McLellan C, Lightle R, Philbert M, Harris C. Spatial glutathione and cysteine distribution and chemical modulation in the early organogenesis-stage rat conceptus in utero. Toxicol Sci. 2001;62:92-102 pubmed..The mobilization of cysteine following chemical insult may influence the ability of conceptal cells to maintain normal GSH status due to reduced availability of cysteine for de novo GSH synthesis. ..
- Azas N, Di Giorgio C, Delmas F, Gasquet M, Timon David P. Leishmania infantum promastigotes: flow cytometry as a possible tool for assessing the effects of drugs on cellular functions. Exp Parasitol. 1997;87:1-7 pubmed..Moreover, the assessment of cellular functions in parasites treated with increasing concentrations of drugs certified the capacity of these techniques to establish dose-response curves and to permit the detection of side effects. ..
- Narita M, Yamagata T, Ishii H, Huang C, Endo G. Simultaneous detection and removal of organomercurial compounds by using the genetic expression system of an organomercury lyase from the transposon Tn MERI1. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2002;59:86-90 pubmed..Organomercurial compounds, such as neurotoxic methylmercury at nanomolar levels, were detected using the biomonitoring system within a few minutes and were removed during the next few hours. ..
- O Connor J, Kimler B, Morgan M, Tempas K. A flow cytometric assay for intracellular nonprotein thiols using mercury orange. Cytometry. 1988;9:529-32 pubmed..Thus a quick, specific technique using mercury orange has been developed for the flow cytometric determination of nonprotein thiols and preferentially for GSH in individual mammalian cells. ..
- Tabatabaie T, Potts J, Floyd R. Reactive oxygen species-mediated inactivation of pyruvate dehydrogenase. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1996;336:290-6 pubmed..A similar mechanism may be responsible for the PDH inactivation during ischemia/reperfusion. ..
- Allen E. Acute iodine ingestion increases intrathyroidal glutathione. J Endocrinol Invest. 1993;16:265-70 pubmed..However, there was no Schiff's staining indicative of lipid peroxidation in the iodine-treated thyroids.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Parkin J. The decomposition of phenylmercuric nitrate in sulphacetamide drops during heat sterilization. J Pharm Pharmacol. 1993;45:1024-7 pubmed..This loss occurs mainly due to the phenylmercuric ion establishing an equilibrium with equimolar amounts of mercuric ion and diphenylmercury. ..
- Shang Z, Liao Y, Wu F, Wu C. Zinc release from Xenopus transcription factor IIIA induced by chemical modifications. Biochemistry. 1989;28:9790-5 pubmed..These results indicate that the two Zn2+ ions in TFIIIA are coordinated with the cysteine and histidine residues and are required for maintenance of the proper conformation of TFIIIA. ..
- Kauvar A, Frew K, Friedman P, Geronemus R. Cooling gel improves pulsed KTP laser treatment of facial telangiectasia. Lasers Surg Med. 2002;30:149-53 pubmed..The application of an aqueous gel during pulsed KTP laser treatment of facial telangiectasia improves treatment associated side effects without affecting vessel clearance. ..
- Duncan G, Emptage N, Hightower K. p-chloro-mercuriphenyl sulphonate activates a quinine-sensitive potassium conductance in frog lens. J Physiol. 1988;404:637-48 pubmed..9. All of these changes in lens voltage and conductance occurred without apparent alteration in the lens internal sulphydryl content. ..
- Uno Y, Kiyono M, Tezuka T, Pan Hou H. Phenylmercury transport mediated by merT-merP genes of Pseudomonas K-62 plasmid pMR26. Biol Pharm Bull. 1997;20:107-9 pubmed..Our results show that bacterial transport of C6H5Hg+ into the cytoplasm is regulated by merT-merP genes. ..