Genomes and Genes
Summary: Organic compounds in which mercury is attached to a methyl group.
- de Wit H, Kainz M, Lindholm M. Methylmercury bioaccumulation in invertebrates of boreal streams in Norway: effects of aqueous methylmercury and diet retention. Environ Pollut. 2012;164:235-41 pubmed publisher..Dietary uptake of bacteria could thus be an important pathway for MeHg-transfer at the bottom of food chains in humic streams...
- Taylor D, Linehan J, Murray D, Prell W. Indicators of sediment and biotic mercury contamination in a southern New England estuary. Mar Pollut Bull. 2012;64:807-19 pubmed publisher..These results have important implications for the utility of estuarine biota as subjects for mercury monitoring programs. ..
- Yu R, Adatto I, Montesdeoca M, Driscoll C, Hines M, Barkay T. Mercury methylation in Sphagnum moss mats and its association with sulfate-reducing bacteria in an acidic Adirondack forest lake wetland. FEMS Microbiol Ecol. 2010;74:655-68 pubmed publisher..Sphagnum, a bryophyte dominating boreal peatlands, and its associated microbial communities appear to play an important role in the production and accumulation of MeHg in high-latitude ecosystems. ..
- Dorea J, Wimer W, Marques R, Shade C. Automated speciation of mercury in the hair of breastfed infants exposed to ethylmercury from thimerosal-containing vaccines. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2011;140:262-71 pubmed publisher..050, 0.10, and 0.10 ng g?¹ for MeHg, Hg(II), and EtHg, respectively, for a 20-mg sample. Specific limits depend on the amount of sample extracted and the amount of extract injected. ..
- Oken E, Bellinger D. Fish consumption, methylmercury and child neurodevelopment. Curr Opin Pediatr. 2008;20:178-83 pubmed publisher..To summarize recent evidence regarding associations of early life exposure to mercury from maternal fish consumption during pregnancy, thimerosal in vaccines and dental amalgam with child neurodevelopment...
- Feng X, Li P, Qiu G, Wang S, Li G, Shang L, et al. Human exposure to methylmercury through rice intake in mercury mining areas, Guizhou province, China. Environ Sci Technol. 2008;42:326-32 pubmed..From our study, we can conclude that the main human exposure to Me-Hg via food consumption is not restricted to fish, but in some cases in mining areas of China to frequent rice meals. ..
- Rice D. Overview of modifiers of methylmercury neurotoxicity: chemicals, nutrients, and the social environment. Neurotoxicology. 2008;29:761-6 pubmed publisher..An understanding of the interactions of the multiple factors that determine the final behavioral outcome of exposure to methylmercury is crucial to risk assessment and risk management decisions. ..
- George G, Singh S, Prince R, Pickering I. Chemical forms of mercury and selenium in fish following digestion with simulated gastric fluid. Chem Res Toxicol. 2008;21:2106-10 pubmed publisherFish is a major dietary source of potentially neurotoxic methylmercury compounds for humans. It is also a rich source of essential selenium...
- Martins R, Braga H, da Silva A, Dalmarco J, De Bem A, dos Santos A, et al. Synergistic neurotoxicity induced by methylmercury and quercetin in mice. Food Chem Toxicol. 2009;47:645-9 pubmed publisher..The present results indicate that under in vivo conditions quercetin and MeHg cause additive pro-oxidative effects toward the mice cerebellum and that such phenomenon is associated with the observed motor deficit. ..
- Farina M, Campos F, Vendrell I, Berenguer J, Barzi M, Pons S, et al. Probucol increases glutathione peroxidase-1 activity and displays long-lasting protection against methylmercury toxicity in cerebellar granule cells. Toxicol Sci. 2009;112:416-26 pubmed publisher..The results bring out new insights on the potential therapeutic strategies for poisonings to MeHg and other pathological conditions related to increased production and/or decreased detoxification of peroxides. ..
- Berzas Nevado J, Rodriguez Martin Doimeadios R, Guzmán Bernardo F, Jiménez Moreno M. Determination of monomethylmercury in low- and high-polluted sediments by microwave extraction and gas chromatography with atomic fluorescence detection. Anal Chim Acta. 2008;608:30-7 pubmed publisher..Both steps can be combined if necessary. MMHg content has been found in good agreement with the certified value for the reference materials (IAEA-405 and ERM-CC580). ..
- Zheng D, Wang Q, Zhang Z, Zheng N, Zhang X. Bioaccumulation of total and methyl mercury by arthropods. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol. 2008;81:95-100 pubmed publisher..For methyl mercury, concentration is proportional to body length for both of these arthropods. Total mercury concentrations vary in different parts of the arthropod body, and increase in the order of: abdomen > thorax > head...
- Cristol D, Brasso R, Condon A, Fovargue R, Friedman S, Hallinger K, et al. The movement of aquatic mercury through terrestrial food webs. Science. 2008;320:335 pubmed publisher..Rivers contaminated with mercury may pose a threat to the many bird species that feed on predatory invertebrates in adjacent riparian habitats...
- Xu S, Zeng B, Daskoulidou N, Chen G, Atkin S, Lukhele B. Activation of TRPC cationic channels by mercurial compounds confers the cytotoxicity of mercury exposure. Toxicol Sci. 2012;125:56-68 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that mercurial compounds are activators for TRPC5 and TRPC4 channels. Blockade of TRPC channels could be a novel strategy for preventing mercury-induced cytotoxicity and neurodevelopment impairment. ..
- Mahaffey K, Sunderland E, Chan H, Choi A, Grandjean P, Mariën K, et al. Balancing the benefits of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and the risks of methylmercury exposure from fish consumption. Nutr Rev. 2011;69:493-508 pubmed publisher..A framework for providing dietary advice for women of childbearing age on how to maximize the dietary intake of n-3 PUFAs while minimizing MeHg exposures is suggested...
- Teisl M, Fromberg E, Smith A, Boyle K, Engelberth H. Awake at the switch: improving fish consumption advisories for at-risk women. Sci Total Environ. 2011;409:3257-66 pubmed publisher..We conclude a well-designed advisory can successfully transform a complex risk/benefit message into one that leads to appropriate knowledge and behavioral changes. ..
- Yu X, Robinson J, Sidhu J, Hong S, Faustman E. A system-based comparison of gene expression reveals alterations in oxidative stress, disruption of ubiquitin-proteasome system and altered cell cycle regulation after exposure to cadmium and methylmercury in mouse embryonic fibroblast. Toxicol Sci. 2010;114:356-77 pubmed publisher..This study suggests that these pathways play a critical role in the development of adverse effects associated with metal exposures. ..
- Grandjean P, Satoh H, Murata K, Eto K. Adverse effects of methylmercury: environmental health research implications. Environ Health Perspect. 2010;118:1137-45 pubmed publisher..Symptoms of methylmercury toxicity, such as tunnel vision, forgetfulness, and lack of coordination, also seemed to affect environmental health research and its interpretation. ..
- Berg K, Puntervoll P, Valdersnes S, Goksøyr A. Responses in the brain proteome of Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) exposed to methylmercury. Aquat Toxicol. 2010;100:51-65 pubmed publisher..The results of the present study aid our understanding of molecular mechanisms underlying MeHg neurotoxicity and defense responses, and provide a large panel of protein biomarker candidates for aquatic environmental monitoring. ..
- Lepak J, Robinson J, Kraft C, Josephson D. Changes in mercury bioaccumulation in an apex predator in response to removal of an introduced competitor. Ecotoxicology. 2009;18:488-98 pubmed publisher..These data provide evidence for a mechanism (diet shift due to reduced competition) by which changes in food web structure can influence MeHg concentrations in top predators. ..
- Schläwicke Engström K, Stromberg U, Lundh T, Johansson I, Vessby B, Hallmans G, et al. Genetic variation in glutathione-related genes and body burden of methylmercury. Environ Health Perspect. 2008;116:734-9 pubmed publisher..035): Individuals with the GCLM-588 TT genotype demonstrated the highest Ery-Hg, but we saw no evidence of effect modification with increasing P-PUFA. These results suggest a role of GSH-related polymorphisms in MeHg metabolism. ..
- Ceccatelli S, Daré E, Moors M. Methylmercury-induced neurotoxicity and apoptosis. Chem Biol Interact. 2010;188:301-8 pubmed publisher..In this paper, we provide an overview of recent findings on methylmercury-induced neurotoxicity and cell death pathways that have been described in neural and endocrine cell systems. ..
- Ralston N, Raymond L. Dietary selenium's protective effects against methylmercury toxicity. Toxicology. 2010;278:112-23 pubmed publisher..Further studies of these relationships are needed to assist regulatory agencies in protecting and improving child health. ..
- Cao Y, Chen A, Jones R, Radcliffe J, Caldwell K, Dietrich K, et al. Does background postnatal methyl mercury exposure in toddlers affect cognition and behavior?. Neurotoxicology. 2010;31:1-9 pubmed publisher..We conclude that at the present background postnatal MeHg exposure levels of US children, adverse effects on children's IQ and behavior are not detectable. ..
- Shimada M, Kameo S, Sugawara N, Yaginuma Sakurai K, Kurokawa N, Mizukami Murata S, et al. Gene expression profiles in the brain of the neonate mouse perinatally exposed to methylmercury and/or polychlorinated biphenyls. Arch Toxicol. 2010;84:271-86 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that co-exposure does not simply exacerbate the toxicity of MeHg alone or PCB alone, but stimulates a protection system. ..
- Grotto D, Vicentini J, Angeli J, Latorraca E, Monteiro P, Barcelos G, et al. Evaluation of protective effects of fish oil against oxidative damage in rats exposed to methylmercury. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2011;74:487-93 pubmed publisher..This protection seems not to be related to antioxidant defenses or mercury re-distribution in rat tissues. It is probably due to the anti-inflammatory effects of fish oil. ..
- Petroni D, Tsai J, Agrawal K, Mondal D, GEORGE W. Low-dose methylmercury-induced oxidative stress, cytotoxicity, and tau-hyperphosphorylation in human neuroblastoma (SH-SY5Y) cells. Environ Toxicol. 2012;27:549-55 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that low-dose MeHg toxicity may be related to an induction of tau phosphorylation through an oxidative stress-dependent mechanism and that blockade of this pathway may attenuate the toxic effects of MeHg. ..
- Fonseca M, Dorea J, Bastos W, Marques R, Torres J, Malm O. Poor psychometric scores of children living in isolated riverine and agrarian communities and fish-methylmercury exposure. Neurotoxicology. 2008;29:1008-15 pubmed publisher..Global strategies for reducing human exposure to MeHg by curtailing fish consumption are unrealistic options for riverine subsistence populations and are not justifiable to prevent low cognitive scores. ..
- Choi A, Cordier S, Weihe P, Grandjean P. Negative confounding in the evaluation of toxicity: the case of methylmercury in fish and seafood. Crit Rev Toxicol. 2008;38:877-93 pubmed..Attention should also be paid to the occurrence of negative confounding in other connections. ..
- Nyland J, Wang S, Shirley D, Santos E, Ventura A, de Souza J, et al. Fetal and maternal immune responses to methylmercury exposure: a cross-sectional study. Environ Res. 2011;111:584-9 pubmed publisher..However, unlike previous data from adult males and non-pregnant females, we found no evidence that antinuclear and antinucleolar autoantibody titer is a reliable biomarker of mercury immunotoxicity in this population. ..
- Gardner R, Nyland J, Silbergeld E. Differential immunotoxic effects of inorganic and organic mercury species in vitro. Toxicol Lett. 2010;198:182-90 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that both organic and inorganic species of Hg can affect the human immune system, but that they may exert different effects on immune function. ..
- Yorifuji T, Tsuda T, Takao S, Harada M. Long-term exposure to methylmercury and neurologic signs in Minamata and neighboring communities. Epidemiology. 2008;19:3-9 pubmed..Long-term exposure to methylmercury has a strong adverse impact on neurologic signs among residents in a local community. ..
- Chen C, Serrell N, Evers D, Fleishman B, Lambert K, Weiss J, et al. Meeting report: Methylmercury in marine ecosystems--from sources to seafood consumers. Environ Health Perspect. 2008;116:1706-12 pubmed publisher..An integrated research and monitoring program is needed to link the processes and mechanisms of MeHg production, bioaccumulation, and transfer with MeHg exposure in humans. ..
- Ni M, Li X, Yin Z, Jiang H, Sidoryk Wegrzynowicz M, Milatovic D, et al. Methylmercury induces acute oxidative stress, altering Nrf2 protein level in primary microglial cells. Toxicol Sci. 2010;116:590-603 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our study has demonstrated that microglial cells are exquisitely sensitive to MeHg and respond rapidly to MeHg by upregulating the Nrf2-mediated antioxidant response. ..
- Hamelin S, Amyot M, Barkay T, Wang Y, Planas D. Methanogens: principal methylators of mercury in lake periphyton. Environ Sci Technol. 2011;45:7693-700 pubmed publisher..This first clear demonstration of methanogens' role in mercury methylation in environmental periphyton samples expands the known diversity of microbial guilds that contribute to the formation of the neurotoxic substance methylmercury. ..
- Mozaffarian D, Shi P, Morris J, Spiegelman D, Grandjean P, Siscovick D, et al. Mercury exposure and risk of cardiovascular disease in two U.S. cohorts. N Engl J Med. 2011;364:1116-25 pubmed publisher..Beneficial effects of the ingestion of fish and selenium may also modify such effects...
- Achá D, Hintelmann H, Yee J. Importance of sulfate reducing bacteria in mercury methylation and demethylation in periphyton from Bolivian Amazon region. Chemosphere. 2011;82:911-6 pubmed publisher..This demonstrates the importance of community variability and complexity of microbial interactions for the overall methylmercury production in periphyton and their response to external stimulus...
- Strain J, Davidson P, Bonham M, Duffy E, Stokes Riner A, Thurston S, et al. Associations of maternal long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids, methyl mercury, and infant development in the Seychelles Child Development Nutrition Study. Neurotoxicology. 2008;29:776-82 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, they indicate that the beneficial effects of LCPUFA can obscure the determination of adverse effects of prenatal MeHg exposure in longitudinal observational studies. ..
- Polunas M, Halladay A, Tjalkens R, Philbert M, LOWNDES H, Reuhl K. Role of oxidative stress and the mitochondrial permeability transition in methylmercury cytotoxicity. Neurotoxicology. 2011;32:526-34 pubmed publisher..Cyt c release was also more extensive in neurons, with less protection afforded by CsA. These data indicate that neuronal differentiation state influences mitochondrial transition pore dynamics and MeHg-stimulated production of ROS. ..
- Grandjean P, Herz K. Methylmercury and brain development: imprecision and underestimation of developmental neurotoxicity in humans. Mt Sinai J Med. 2011;78:107-18 pubmed publisher..The experience obtained with methylmercury should therefore be taken into account when evaluating the evidence for other substances suspected of being neurotoxic. ..
- Tsui M, Finlay J, Nater E. Mercury bioaccumulation in a stream network. Environ Sci Technol. 2009;43:7016-22 pubmed..However, our results show that in the absence of wetlands, substantial spatial variation of Hg bioaccumulation can arise in stream networks due to the influence of in-stream processes. ..