Summary: Neutral or negatively charged ligands bonded to metal cations or neutral atoms. The number of ligand atoms to which the metal center is directly bonded is the metal cation's coordination number, and this number is always greater than the regular valence or oxidation number of the metal. A coordination complex can be negative, neutral, or positively charged.
- Basu A, Bhattacharjee A, Baral R, Biswas J, Samanta A, Bhattacharya S. Vanadium(III)-l-cysteine enhances the sensitivity of murine breast adenocarcinoma cells to cyclophosphamide by promoting apoptosis and blocking angiogenesis. Tumour Biol. 2017;39:1010428317705759 pubmed publisher..Hence, this study suggested that vanadium(III)-l-cysteine may offer potential therapeutic benefit in combination with cyclophosphamide by augmenting anticancer efficacy and diminishing toxicity to the host. ..
- Zhou C, Liao T, Li Z, Gonzalez Garcia J, Reynolds M, Zou M, et al. Dinickel-Salphen Complexes as Binders of Human Telomeric Dimeric G-Quadruplexes. Chemistry. 2017;23:4713-4722 pubmed publisher..Based on the spectroscopic data, a possible binding mode between complex 2?c and the dimeric G-quadruplex DNA under study is proposed. ..
- Paulpandiyan R, Raman N. Oxovanadium(IV) complexes with Knoevenagel Schiff base condensate as impending chemotherapeutic agents: Synthesis, characterization, biological screening and anti-proliferative assay. Bioorg Chem. 2017;73:100-108 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, complex (2) exhibits more potent cytotoxic activity than the other complex and standard drug (cisplatin). The mode of cell death was assessed by Hoechst 33258 staining morphological studies. ..
- Sut Lohmann M, Raab T. Quick detection and quantification of iron-cyanide complexes using fourier transform infrared spectroscopy. Environ Pollut. 2017;227:64-72 pubmed publisher..Thus, FTIR spectroscopy, in combination with the statistical approach applied here seems to be a feasible and quick method for screening of contaminated sites. ..
- Torres Martin De Rosales R, Tavare R, Paul R, Jauregui Osoro M, Protti A, Glaria A, et al. Synthesis of 64Cu(II)-bis(dithiocarbamatebisphosphonate) and its conjugation with superparamagnetic iron oxide nanoparticles: in vivo evaluation as dual-modality PET-MRI agent. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2011;50:5509-13 pubmed publisher
- Oohora K, Tang N, Morita Y, Hayashi T. Cobalt tetradehydrocorrins coordinated by imidazolate-like histidine in the heme pocket of horseradish peroxidase. J Biol Inorg Chem. 2017;22:695-703 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results indicate that HRP reconstituted with cobalt tetradehydrocorrin is a suitable cobalamin-dependent enzyme model with imidazolate-like His residue. ..
- Vančo J, Trávníček Z, Křikavová R, Gáliková J, Dvorak Z, Chalupová M. Molecular, cellular and pharmacological effects of platinum(II) diiodido complexes containing 9-deazahypoxanthine derivatives: A group of broad-spectrum anticancer active agents. J Photochem Photobiol B. 2017;173:423-433 pubmed publisher
- Zhao A, Howson S, Zhao C, Ren J, Scott P, Wang C, et al. Chiral metallohelices enantioselectively target hybrid human telomeric G-quadruplex DNA. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:5026-5035 pubmed publisher..Further studies show that ?1a can discriminate human telomeric G-quadruplex from other telomeric G-quadruplexes. ..
- Huang X, Huang R, Gou S, Wang Z, Liao Z, Wang H. Platinum(IV) complexes conjugated with phenstatin analogue as inhibitors of microtubule polymerization and reverser of multidrug resistance. Bioorg Med Chem. 2017;25:4686-4700 pubmed publisher..Moreover, complex 10 effectively inhibited the tumor growth in the NCI-H460 xenograft model. ..
- Montel A, Dos Santos R, da Costa P, Silveira Lacerda E, Batista A, Dos Santos W. Neutron activation increases activity of ruthenium-based complexes and induces cell death in glioma cells independent of p53 tumor suppressor gene. Biometals. 2017;30:295-305 pubmed publisher..Neutron activation of ruthenium compounds rendered them more active than their original counterparts suggesting a new strategy to improve the antitumor activity of these compounds. ..
- Nicolas G, Mansi R, McDougall L, Kaufmann J, Bouterfa H, Wild D, et al. Biodistribution, Pharmacokinetics, and Dosimetry of 177Lu-, 90Y-, and 111In-Labeled Somatostatin Receptor Antagonist OPS201 in Comparison to the Agonist 177Lu-DOTATATE: The Mass Effect. J Nucl Med. 2017;58:1435-1441 pubmed publisher..Clinical studies are warranted to confirm the efficacy and advantageous toxicity profile of 177Lu-OPS201. ..
- Vellé A, Maguire R, Kavanagh K, Sanz Miguel P, Montagner D. Steroid-AuI -NHC Complexes: Synthesis and Antibacterial Activity. ChemMedChem. 2017;12:841-844 pubmed publisher..Toxicity profiling was estimated in?vitro versus Gram-positive (Staphylococcus aureus) and Gram-negative (Escherichia coli) bacteria, and in?vivo on Galleria mellonella larvae against E.?coli. ..
- Ross M, Fidai I, Cowan J. Analysis of Structure-Activity Relationships Based on the Hepatitis?C Virus SLIIb Internal Ribosomal Entry Sequence RNA-Targeting GGHYRFK?Cu Complex. Chembiochem. 2017;18:1743-1754 pubmed publisher..Together, the data yielded insights into structure-function relationships that will guide future optimization efforts. ..
- Sousa E Silva F, Tierno A, Wengryniuk S. Hypervalent Iodine Reagents in High Valent Transition Metal Chemistry. Molecules. 2017;22: pubmed publisher..We will cover advancements in both catalysis and high valent complex isolation with a key focus on the subtle effects that oxidant choice can have on reaction outcome, as well as limitations of current reagents. ..
- de Barros M, Perciano P, dos Santos M, de Oliveira L, Costa E, Moreira M. Antibacterial Activity of 7-Epiclusianone and Its Novel Copper Metal Complex on Streptococcus spp. Isolated from Bovine Mastitis and Their Cytotoxicity in MAC-T Cells. Molecules. 2017;22: pubmed publisher..The compounds were not cytotoxic. Based on these results, 7-epi and 7-epi-Cu exhibited desirable antimicrobial properties and could potentially be used in bovine mastitis treatment. ..
- Knape M, Herberg F. Metal coordination in kinases and pseudokinases. Biochem Soc Trans. 2017;45:653-663 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, pseudokinases are present in all kingdoms of life and their specific roles remain enigmatic. More studies are needed to unravel the crucial functions of those interesting proteins. ..
- Bandyopadhyay N, Pradhan A, Das S, Naskar J. Comparative study of an osazone based ligand and its palladium(II) complex with human serum albumin: A spectroscopic, thermodynamic and molecular docking approach. J Photochem Photobiol B. 2017;173:1-11 pubmed publisher..These parameters indicate that the binding processes are spontaneous both for LH2 and 1. Molecular docking analyses reveal that both LH2 and 1 reside in domain-I of HSA. ..
- Farrer N, Salassa L, Sadler P. Photoactivated chemotherapy (PACT): the potential of excited-state d-block metals in medicine. Dalton Trans. 2009;:10690-701 pubmed publisher..Nanoparticles (Ag, Au) and quantum dots (Cd) are also discussed for their photothermal destructive potential. We also discuss the potential held in particular by mixed-metal systems and Ru complexes. ..
- Wilk P, Uehlein M, Kalms J, Dobbek H, Mueller U, Weiss M. Substrate specificity and reaction mechanism of human prolidase. FEBS J. 2017;284:2870-2885 pubmed publisher..The refined structure coordinates as well as the corresponding structure factor amplitudes have been deposited in the PDB under the accession numbers 5M4G, 5M4J, 5M4L, and 5M4Q. ..
- Dalm S, Haeck J, Doeswijk G, De Blois E, de Jong M, van Deurzen C. SSTR-Mediated Imaging in Breast Cancer: Is There a Role for Radiolabeled Somatostatin Receptor Antagonists?. J Nucl Med. 2017;58:1609-1614 pubmed publisher..92 ± 0.43 vs. 0.90 ± 0.17; P = 0.002). Conclusion: SSTR antagonists are promising candidates for BC imaging. ..
- Jbara M, Guttmann Raviv N, Maity S, Ayoub N, Brik A. Total chemical synthesis of methylated analogues of histone 3 revealed KDM4D as a potential regulator of H3K79me3. Bioorg Med Chem. 2017;25:4966-4970 pubmed publisher..Our study enabled us to identify KDM4D lysine demethylase as a potential regulator for trimethylated H3 at Lys79. ..
- Xu J, Medina Rangel P, Haupt K, Tse Sum Bui B. Guide to the Preparation of Molecularly Imprinted Polymer Nanoparticles for Protein Recognition by Solid-Phase Synthesis. Methods Enzymol. 2017;590:115-141 pubmed publisher..Moreover, these water-compatible polymers, targeting different domains of the enzyme, can also function as protective agents (armor), hence preventing the target proteins from denaturation by heat or pH. ..
- Qi J, Deng J, Qian K, Tian L, Li J, He K, et al. Novel 2-pyridinecarboxaldehyde thiosemicarbazones Ga(III) complexes with a high antiproliferative activity by promoting apoptosis and inhibiting cell cycle. Eur J Med Chem. 2017;134:34-42 pubmed publisher..Caspase activation was somewhat mediated by the release of Cyt C from mitochondria after incubation with selected agents. Both types of Ga(III) complexes showed more effective in inhibition of the G1/S transition than the ligand alone. ..
- Yamada Y. Development of Batch and Flow Immobilized Catalytic Systems with High Catalytic Activity and Reusability. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo). 2017;65:805-821 pubmed publisher..This device promoted a variety of organic transformations as a heterogeneous catalyst. The Mizoroki-Heck reaction proceeded with 280?mol?ppb (0.000028?mol%) of the catalyst, affording the corresponding products in high yield. ..
- Yilmaz V, Icsel C, Batur J, Aydinlik S, Sahinturk P, Aygün M. Structures and biochemical evaluation of silver(I) 5,5-diethylbarbiturate complexes with bis(diphenylphosphino)alkanes as potential antimicrobial and anticancer agents. Eur J Med Chem. 2017;139:901-916 pubmed publisher..Mechanistic studies showed that 1 and 2 display effective cell growth inhibition by triggering S and G2/M phase arrest, induce apoptosis via mitochondrial pathways and also damage to DNA due to the overproduction of ROS. ..
- Tesmar A, Wyrzykowski D, Kruszyński R, Niska K, Inkielewicz Stępniak I, Drzeżdżon J, et al. Characterization and cytotoxic effect of aqua-(2,2',2''-nitrilotriacetato)-oxo-vanadium salts on human osteosarcoma cells. Biometals. 2017;30:261-275 pubmed publisher..Thus, the [VO(nta)(H2O)]- containing coordination compounds can be considered as possible antitumor agents in the osteosarcoma model of bone-related cells in culture. ..
- Shiina I. Asymmetric Mukaiyama aldol reactions using chiral diamine-coordinated Sn(II) triflate: development and application to natural product synthesis. Chem Rec. 2014;14:144-83 pubmed..In this Personal Account, the history of the development of this powerful methodology and the application of the asymmetric Mukaiyama aldol reaction in the synthesis of natural products are reviewed. ..
- Wang B, Wang Z, Ai F, Tang W, Zhu G. A monofunctional platinum(II)-based anticancer agent from a salicylanilide derivative: Synthesis, antiproliferative activity, and transcription inhibition. J Inorg Biochem. 2015;142:118-25 pubmed publisher..This study not only enriches the family of monofunctional platinum-based anticancer agents but also guides the design of more potent monofunctional platinum complexes. ..
- Popolin C, Reis J, Becceneri A, Graminha A, Almeida M, Corrêa R, et al. Cytotoxicity and anti-tumor effects of new ruthenium complexes on triple negative breast cancer cells. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183275 pubmed publisher..Complex (4) should be further investigated in vivo in order to stablish its potential to improve breast cancer treatment. ..
- Seibold U, Wängler B, Wängler C. Rational Design, Development, and Stability Assessment of a Macrocyclic Four-Hydroxamate-Bearing Bifunctional Chelating Agent for 89 Zr. ChemMedChem. 2017;12:1555-1571 pubmed publisher..Finally, we performed comparative complex stability tests for 89 Zr-CHT36-c(RGDfK) and 89 Zr-DFO-c(RGDfK), showing improved complex stability for the newly developed chelator CTH36. ..
- Cardoso J, Guerreiro S, Lourenço A, Alves M, Montemor M, Mira N, et al. Ag(I) camphorimine complexes with antimicrobial activity towards clinically important bacteria and species of the Candida genus. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177355 pubmed publisher..The high antibacterial and anti-Candida activities of the here studied camphorimine complexes, especially of complexes 1 and 7, suggests a potential therapeutic application for these compounds. ..
- Sánchez M, Sabio L, Galvez N, Capdevila M, Domínguez Vera J. Iron chemistry at the service of life. IUBMB Life. 2017;69:382-388 pubmed publisher..2017 IUBMB Life, 69(6):382-388, 2017. ..
- Chakraborty I, Jimenez J, Sameera W, Kato M, Mascharak P. Luminescent Re(I) Carbonyl Complexes as Trackable PhotoCORMs for CO delivery to Cellular Targets. Inorg Chem. 2017;56:2863-2873 pubmed publisher..These species hold significant promise as theranostic photoCORMs (photoinduced CO releasing molecules), where the entry of the pro-drug can be tracked within the cellular matrices...
- Mao P, Liu Y, Liu X, Wang Y, Liang J, Zhou Q, et al. Bimetallic AgCu/Cu2O hybrid for the synergetic adsorption of iodide from solution. Chemosphere. 2017;180:317-325 pubmed publisher..g., acidic, alkaline and seawater environments). Therefore, this study is expected to promote the development of Cu2O into a highly efficient adsorbent for the removal of iodide from solution. ..
- Warad I, Awwadi F, Daqqa M, Al Ali A, Ababneh T, AlShboul T, et al. New isomeric Cu(NO2-phen)2Br]Br complexes: Crystal structure, Hirschfeld surface, physicochemical, solvatochromism, thermal, computational and DNA-binding analysis. J Photochem Photobiol B. 2017;171:9-19 pubmed publisher..Absorption and viscosity titration studies concluded that the [Cu(NO2-phen)2Br]Br complex is a very good CT-DNA binder. ..
- Bandyopadhyay N, Basu P, Kumar G, Guhathakurta B, Singh P, Naskar J. Biophysical studies on the interaction of a novel oxime based palladium(II) complex with DNA and RNA. J Photochem Photobiol B. 2017;173:560-570 pubmed publisher..However, the magnitude of the binding constant as determined for RNA interaction with 1 is found to be higher than that for DNA interaction. ..
- Gaur R, Choubey D, Usman M, Ward B, Roy J, Mishra L. Synthesis, structures, nuclease activity, cytotoxicity, DFT and molecular docking studies of two nitrato bridged homodinuclear (Cu-Cu, Zn-Zn) complexes containing 2,2'-bipyridine and a chalcone derivative. J Photochem Photobiol B. 2017;173:650-660 pubmed publisher..2±0. 044?? for complex 2. Complex 2 induces the cell apoptosis at a later-stage as compared to complex 1. The cell apoptosis and topoisomerase inhibition by complexes enable them to be potential candidates as future anticancer drugs. ..
- Li H, Zhou T, Liu H, Xu F, Niu Y, Wang C, et al. Discovery of a cobalt complex with high MEK1 binding affinity. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2017;27:2221-2224 pubmed publisher..02?M) and AZD6244 (2.20?M). Docking study was used to elucidate the binding modes of complex 2 with MEK1. Thus cobalt(II) complex 2 may be further developed as a novel MEK1 inhibitor. ..
- Khan S, Malla A, Zafar A, Naseem I. Synthesis of novel coumarin nucleus-based DPA drug-like molecular entity: In vitro DNA/Cu(II) binding, DNA cleavage and pro-oxidant mechanism for anticancer action. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181783 pubmed publisher..These findings will establish ligand-L as a lead molecule to synthesize new molecules with better copper chelating and pro-oxidant properties against different malignancies. ..
- Nagaj J, Starosta R, JeÅ¼owska Bojczuk M. Acid-base characterization, coordination properties towards copper(II) ions and DNA interaction studies of ribavirin, an antiviral drug. J Inorg Biochem. 2015;142:68-74 pubmed publisher..It proved not to generate plasmid DNA scission products. However, the calf thymus (CT)-DNA binding studies showed that it reacts with ribavirin and its cupric complex. Moreover, the interaction with the complex is much more efficient. ..
- Völker T, Meggers E. Chemical Activation in Blood Serum and Human Cell Culture: Improved Ruthenium Complex for Catalytic Uncaging of Alloc-Protected Amines. Chembiochem. 2017;18:1083-1086 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, alloc-protected doxorubicin, as an anticancer prodrug, could be activated in human cell culture and induced apoptosis with a single low dose (1??m) of the new catalyst. ..
- M Vidal L, Pimentel E, Cruces M, Hernandez S, Ruiz Azuara L. Cytotoxic and genotoxic actions of Casiopeina III-Ea (Cas III-Ea) in somatic and germ cells of Drosophila melanogaster. J Toxicol Environ Health A. 2017;80:365-373 pubmed publisher..Data suggest that Cas III-Ea is a weak genotoxic but selective mutagen. Failure to obtain a dose-related genotoxic response suggests that one of the preferred mechanisms of action of Cas III-Ea is to induce apoptosis. ..
- Pulido Reyes G, Martín E, Gu Coronado J, Leganés F, Rosal R, Fernández Piñas F. Physicochemical and biological interactions between cerium oxide nanoparticles and a 1,8-naphthalimide derivative. J Photochem Photobiol B. 2017;172:61-69 pubmed publisher..The results of this study contribute to expand the knowledge of the interaction between nanoparticles and organic molecules which may be useful for understanding the behavior of nanoparticles in complex matrices. ..