antimony potassium tartrate
Summary: A schistosomicide possibly useful against other parasites. It has irritant emetic properties and may cause lethal cardiac toxicity among other adverse effects.
- Pathak M, Yi T. Sodium stibogluconate is a potent inhibitor of protein tyrosine phosphatases and augments cytokine responses in hemopoietic cell lines. J Immunol. 2001;167:3391-7 pubmed..Our results provide novel insights into the pharmacological effects of the drug and suggest potential new therapeutic applications. ..
- Faghiri Z, Skelly P. The role of tegumental aquaporin from the human parasitic worm, Schistosoma mansoni, in osmoregulation and drug uptake. FASEB J. 2009;23:2780-9 pubmed publisher..These experiments reveal a heretofore unrecognized role of the schistosome tegument in controlling water and drug movement into the parasites and highlight the importance of the tegument in parasite osmoregulation and drug uptake. ..
- Liarte D, Murta S. Selection and phenotype characterization of potassium antimony tartrate-resistant populations of four New World Leishmania species. Parasitol Res. 2010;107:205-12 pubmed publisher..Although the protocol of induction was the same, the SbIII-resistant populations showed different degrees of tolerance, stability, infectivity in mice and cross-resistance to antileishmanial drugs, depending on the Leishmania species. ..
- Lorico A, Bertola A, Baum C, Fodstad O, Rappa G. Role of the Multidrug Resistance Protein 1 in protection from heavy metal oxyanions: investigations in vitro and in MRP1-deficient mice. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;291:617-22 pubmed..have previously shown that mrp1(-/-) cells are hypersensitive to sodium arsenite, sodium arsenate, and antimony potassium tartrate. We now report that the retroviral vector-mediated overexpression of MRP1 and of the two subunits of ..
- Sarkar A, Saha P, Mandal G, Mukhopadhyay D, Roy S, Singh S, et al. Monitoring of intracellular nitric oxide in leishmaniasis: its applicability in patients with visceral leishmaniasis. Cytometry A. 2011;79:35-45 pubmed publisher..Taken together, this study opens new perspectives of research regarding monocyte function and provides a real time approach for monitoring the effect of anti-leishmanial compounds. ..
- Rosenstein R, Peschel A, Wieland B, G tz F. Expression and regulation of the antimonite, arsenite, and arsenate resistance operon of Staphylococcus xylosus plasmid pSX267. J Bacteriol. 1992;174:3676-83 pubmed..The three ars genes conferred arsenite resistance in E. coli and arsenite as well as arsenate resistance in Bacillus subtilis...
- Salerno M, Petroutsa M, Garnier Suillerot A. The MRP1-mediated effluxes of arsenic and antimony do not require arsenic-glutathione and antimony-glutathione complex formation. J Bioenerg Biomembr. 2002;34:135-45 pubmed..Moreover for the three compounds 50% of the efflux is inhibited by 2 microM MK571. This led us to suggest that As- and Sb-containing species could be cotransported with GSH. ..
- Lecureur V, Le Thiec A, Le Meur A, Amiot L, Drenou B, Bernard M, et al. Potassium antimonyl tartrate induces caspase- and reactive oxygen species-dependent apoptosis in lymphoid tumoral cells. Br J Haematol. 2002;119:608-15 pubmed..These data therefore suggest that PAT may deserve to be evaluated in the treatment of some lymphoid malignancies. ..
- Sudhandiran G, Shaha C. Antimonial-induced increase in intracellular Ca2+ through non-selective cation channels in the host and the parasite is responsible for apoptosis of intracellular Leishmania donovani amastigotes. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:25120-32 pubmed
- Brochu C, Haimeur A, Ouellette M. The heat shock protein HSP70 and heat shock cognate protein HSC70 contribute to antimony tolerance in the protozoan parasite leishmania. Cell Stress Chaperones. 2004;9:294-303 pubmed..Our results are consistent with HSP70 and HSC70 being a first line of defense against SbIII until more specific and efficient resistance mechanisms take over. ..
- Tarabar A, Khan Y, Nelson L, Hoffman R. Antimony toxicity from the use of tartar emetic for the treatment of alcohol abuse. Vet Hum Toxicol. 2004;46:331-3 pubmed..It is important to recognize that foreign alcohol therapies aversive therapy other than disulfiram may be used, the contents of such a foreign product should be identified. ..
- Ruan X, Bhattacharjee H, Rosen B. Cys-113 and Cys-422 form a high affinity metalloid binding site in the ArsA ATPase. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:9925-34 pubmed
- Tirmenstein M, Plews P, Walker C, Woolery M, Wey H, Toraason M. Antimony-induced oxidative stress and toxicity in cultured cardiac myocytes. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 1995;130:41-7 pubmed..Our results also suggest that PAT interacts with thiol-containing compounds. ..
- Ait Oudhia K, Gazanion E, Sereno D, Oury B, Dedet J, Pratlong F, et al. In vitro susceptibility to antimonials and amphotericin B of Leishmania infantum strains isolated from dogs in a region lacking drug selection pressure. Vet Parasitol. 2012;187:386-93 pubmed publisher..Moreover, our data showed that isolates belonging to the relatively rare zymodeme of L. infantum, MON-281, were less susceptible to antimony than MON-1, when at the same time there was no significant difference for amphotericin B...
- Duffin J, Campling B. Therapy and disease concepts: the history (and future?) of antimony in cancer. J Hist Med Allied Sci. 2002;57:61-78 pubmed
- Tirmenstein M, Mathias P, Snawder J, Wey H, Toraason M. Antimony-induced alterations in thiol homeostasis and adenine nucleotide status in cultured cardiac myocytes. Toxicology. 1997;119:203-11 pubmed..Decreases in cellular ATP levels paralleled PAT toxicity put appeared to be secondary to other cellular changes initiated by PAT exposure. ..
- Roberts W, Berman J, Rainey P. In vitro antileishmanial properties of tri- and pentavalent antimonial preparations. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1995;39:1234-9 pubmed..N-Acetylcysteine antagonized the antileishmanial effects of these three drugs against intracellular amastigotes; in contrast, it had minimal effects on the action of sodium stibogluconate. ..
- Chen Z, Mutoh M, Sumizawa T, Furukawa T, Haraguchi M, Tani A, et al. Reversal of heavy metal resistance in multidrug-resistant human KB carcinoma cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1997;236:586-90 pubmed..BSO at 100 microM or PAK-104P at 10 microM enhanced the accumulation of antimony potassium tartrate in C-A120 cells to the level of that in KB-3-1 cells without the agents...
- Sereno D, Holzmuller P, Lemesre J. Efficacy of second line drugs on antimonyl-resistant amastigotes of Leishmania infantum. Acta Trop. 2000;74:25-31 pubmed..These results confirmed that these two drugs (pentamidine and amphotericin B) are good candidates to treat pentavalent antimonial unresponsiveness. ..
- de Melo A, Silva Barcellos N, Demicheli C, Frezard F. Enhanced schistosomicidal efficacy of tartar emetic encapsulated in pegylated liposomes. Int J Pharm. 2003;255:227-30 pubmed..The present work demonstrates that LCL reduce the acute toxicity of TA and effectively deliver this drug to S. mansoni during the late stages of parasite infection. ..
- Vernhet L, Séité M, Allain N, Guillouzo A, Fardel O. Arsenic induces expression of the multidrug resistance-associated protein 2 (MRP2) gene in primary rat and human hepatocytes. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2001;298:234-9 pubmed..Finally, these results confirm that some metals strongly regulate expression of detoxifying proteins, including biliary drug transporters...
- Wyllie S, Fairlamb A. Differential toxicity of antimonial compounds and their effects on glutathione homeostasis in a human leukaemia monocyte cell line. Biochem Pharmacol. 2006;71:257-67 pubmed..Collectively, these findings suggest that Sb(III) seriously compromises thiol homeostasis in THP-1 macrophages and that this may be an early defining event in the mode of action of antimonials against leukaemia cells. ..
- Naredi P, Heath D, Enns R, Howell S. Cross-resistance between cisplatin and antimony in a human ovarian carcinoma cell line. Cancer Res. 1994;54:6464-8 pubmed..DDP-selected cells were 15-fold resistant to DDP and 4.4-fold cross-resistant to antimony potassium tartrate, whereas of the cations tested (Cd2+, Zn2+, Ni2+ and Co2+) cross-resistance was observed only for Cd2+ (..
- Maciel N, Reis P, Kato K, Vidal A, Guimarães H, Frezard F, et al. Reduced cardiovascular alterations of tartar emetic administered in long-circulating liposomes in rats. Toxicol Lett. 2010;199:234-8 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, a liposomal formulation of TA showed a reduced cardiotoxic profile for TA when compared to the free form. ..
- Su J, Mansour J, Mansour T. Purification, kinetics and inhibition by antimonials of recombinant phosphofructokinase from Schistosoma mansoni. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 1996;81:171-8 pubmed..Recombinant PFK is more sensitive to inhibition by the trivalent antimonials, antimony potassium tartrate and Stibophen, than is the mammalian heart muscle enzyme...
- Snawder J, Tirmenstein M, Mathias P, Toraason M. Induction of stress proteins in rat cardiac myocytes by antimony. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 1999;159:91-7 pubmed
- Lecureur V, Lagadic Gossmann D, Fardel O. Potassium antimonyl tartrate induces reactive oxygen species-related apoptosis in human myeloid leukemic HL60 cells. Int J Oncol. 2002;20:1071-6 pubmed
- Poon R, Chu I. Effects of potassium antimony tartrate on rat erythrocyte phosphofructokinase activity. J Biochem Mol Toxicol. 1998;12:227-33 pubmed..The weak effect of Sb on glycolysis in erythrocytes may be due in part to the protective effect of hemoglobin and, to a lesser extent, glutathione on PFK. ..
- Norris M, Madafiglio J, Gilbert J, Marshall G, Haber M. Reversal of multidrug resistance-associated protein-mediated drug resistance in cultured human neuroblastoma cells by the quinolone antibiotic difloxacin. Med Pediatr Oncol. 2001;36:177-80 pubmed..The data demonstrate that difloxacin can reverse drug resistance in unselected human neuroblastoma cells and is therefore a potential candidate for future clinical trials. ..
- Day T, Bennett J, Pax R. Serotonin and its requirement for maintenance of contractility in muscle fibres isolated from Schistosoma mansoni. Parasitology. 1994;108 ( Pt 4):425-32 pubmed
- Nam S, Yang C, An Y. Effects of antimony on aquatic organisms (Larva and embryo of Oryzias latipes, Moina macrocopa, Simocephalus mixtus, and Pseudokirchneriella subcapitata). Chemosphere. 2009;75:889-93 pubmed publisher..In the present study, antimony potassium tartrate (APT), the trivalent inorganic forms of antimony, was selected as a test antimony compound due to its ..
- Gyurasics A, Koszorus L, Varga F, Gregus Z. Increased biliary excretion of glutathione is generated by the glutathione-dependent hepatobiliary transport of antimony and bismuth. Biochem Pharmacol. 1992;44:1275-81 pubmed..b>Antimony potassium tartrate (25-100 mumol/kg, i.v.) and bismuth ammonium citrate (50-200 mumol/kg, i.v...
- Choudhury K, Zander D, Kube M, Reinhardt R, Clos J. Identification of a Leishmania infantum gene mediating resistance to miltefosine and SbIII. Int J Parasitol. 2008;38:1411-23 pubmed publisher..Database mining and karyotyping experiments suggest that in L. infantum this gene is part of a 44-kbp duplicated region that is found on two separate chromosomes, CHR08 and CHR29...
- Genest P, Haimeur A, Legare D, Sereno D, Roy G, Messier N, et al. A protein of the leucine-rich repeats (LRRs) superfamily is implicated in antimony resistance in Leishmania infantum amastigotes. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 2008;158:95-9 pubmed publisher..This work pinpoints a novel protein that can contribute to antimonial resistance in Leishmania. ..
- Mohamed M, Bakr I, El Hoseiny M, Arafa N, Hassan A, Ismail S, et al. HCV-related morbidity in a rural community of Egypt. J Med Virol. 2006;78:1185-9 pubmed
- Subramanian K, Poon R, Chu I, Connor J. Antimony in drinking water, red blood cells, and serum: development of analytical methodology using transversely heated graphite furnace atomization-atomic absorption spectrometry. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol. 1997;32:431-5 pubmed..5 ml) of RBCs and serum derived from rats given Sb-supplemented drinking water. ..
- Walker J, Saravia N. Inhibition of Leishmania donovani promastigote DNA topoisomerase I and human monocyte DNA topoisomerases I and II by antimonial drugs and classical antitopoisomerase agents. J Parasitol. 2004;90:1155-62 pubmed..Nevertheless, the potent direct inhibition of TOPI by SSG and the differential interactions of camptothecin with L. donovani and human TOPI support the possibility of developing parasite-specific derivatives. ..