Genomes and Genes
Summary: Organic compounds with the general formula R-NCS.
- Chorley B, Campbell M, Wang X, Karaca M, Sambandan D, Bangura F, et al. Identification of novel NRF2-regulated genes by ChIP-Seq: influence on retinoid X receptor alpha. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:7416-29 pubmed publisher..In mouse, 3T3-L1 cells' SFN treatment affected Rxra expression early in adipogenesis, and knockdown of Nrf2-delayed Rxra expression, both leading to impaired adipogenesis. ..
- Zhou T, Li G, Cao B, Liu L, Cheng Q, Kong H, et al. Downregulation of Mcl-1 through inhibition of translation contributes to benzyl isothiocyanate-induced cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in human leukemia cells. Cell Death Dis. 2013;4:e515 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings represent a novel mechanism by which agents targeting Mcl-1 potentiate BITC lethality in transformed and primary human leukemia cells and inhibitory activity of tumor growth of Jurkat xenograft model...
- Barrera L, Cassidy A, Johnson I, Bao Y, Belshaw N. Epigenetic and antioxidant effects of dietary isothiocyanates and selenium: potential implications for cancer chemoprevention. Proc Nutr Soc. 2012;71:237-45 pubmed publisher..These beneficial effects are attributed to the glucosinolate breakdown products, isothiocyanates (ITC)...
- Yehuda H, Soroka Y, Zlotkin Frušić M, Gilhar A, Milner Y, Tamir S. Isothiocyanates inhibit psoriasis-related proinflammatory factors in human skin. Inflamm Res. 2012;61:735-42 pubmed publisher..Results from these models indicate the potential of rocket seed ITCs as biological agents in the therapy of psoriasis and inflammation-related skin diseases. ..
- Xiang J, Alesi G, Zhou N, Keep R. Protective effects of isothiocyanates on blood-CSF barrier disruption induced by oxidative stress. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2012;303:R1-7 pubmed publisher..This study examined the effects of isothiocyanates, an abundant component in cruciferous vegetables, on H(2)O(2)-induced BCSFB disruption and CP cell death in ..
- Veeranki O, Bhattacharya A, Marshall J, Zhang Y. Organ-specific exposure and response to sulforaphane, a key chemopreventive ingredient in broccoli: implications for cancer prevention. Br J Nutr. 2013;109:25-32 pubmed publisher..These findings may provide a basis for prioritising organs for further chemopreventive study of SF. ..
- Hsu Y, Chang S, Wang M, Chen Y, Huang T. Growth inhibition and apoptosis of neuroblastoma cells through ROS-independent MEK/ERK activation by sulforaphane. Cell Biochem Biophys. 2013;66:765-74 pubmed publisher..Results were confirmed by MTT assay, which demonstrated the cytotoxic activity of SFN against SH-SY5Y cells (IC50 values of 20 ?M). ..
- Morroni F, Tarozzi A, Sita G, Bolondi C, Zolezzi Moraga J, Cantelli Forti G, et al. Neuroprotective effect of sulforaphane in 6-hydroxydopamine-lesioned mouse model of Parkinson's disease. Neurotoxicology. 2013;36:63-71 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that SFN may potentially be effective in slowing down the progression of idiopathic PD by the modulation of oxidative stress and apoptotic machinery. ..
- Abbaoui B, Riedl K, Ralston R, Thomas Ahner J, Schwartz S, Clinton S, et al. Inhibition of bladder cancer by broccoli isothiocyanates sulforaphane and erucin: characterization, metabolism, and interconversion. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2012;56:1675-87 pubmed publisher..Our objectives are to investigate these observations and determine the role of isothiocyanates in primary or secondary bladder cancer prevention.
- Zanichelli F, Capasso S, Di Bernardo G, Cipollaro M, Pagnotta E, Carteni M, et al. Low concentrations of isothiocyanates protect mesenchymal stem cells from oxidative injuries, while high concentrations exacerbate DNA damage. Apoptosis. 2012;17:964-74 pubmed publisherb>Isothiocyanates (ITCs) are molecules naturally present in many cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, black radish, daikon radish, and cauliflowers)...
- Dufour V, Alazzam B, Ermel G, Thepaut M, Rossero A, Tresse O, et al. Antimicrobial activities of isothiocyanates against Campylobacter jejuni isolates. Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 2012;2:53 pubmed publisher..The sensitivity levels of C. jejuni isolates against isothiocyanates were neither correlated with the presence of a GGT (?-Glutamyl Transpeptidase) encoding gene in the genome, ..
- Dinkova Kostova A. Chemoprotection against cancer by isothiocyanates: a focus on the animal models and the protective mechanisms. Top Curr Chem. 2013;329:179-201 pubmed publisherThe isothiocyanates are among the most extensively studied chemoprotective agents. They are derived from glucosinolate precursors by the action of ?-thioglucosidase enzymes (myrosinases)...
- Wiczk A, Hofman D, Konopa G, Herman Antosiewicz A. Sulforaphane, a cruciferous vegetable-derived isothiocyanate, inhibits protein synthesis in human prostate cancer cells. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1823:1295-305 pubmed publisher..Overexpression of this anti-apoptotic factor protects PC-3 cells against SFN cytotoxicity. Protein synthesis inhibition by SFN is not restricted to prostate cancer cells as we observed similar effect in SKBR-3 breast cancer cell line. ..
- La Marca M, Beffy P, Della Croce C, Gervasi P, Iori R, Puccinelli E, et al. Structural influence of isothiocyanates on expression of cytochrome P450, phase II enzymes, and activation of Nrf2 in primary rat hepatocytes. Food Chem Toxicol. 2012;50:2822-30 pubmed publisher..isothiocynates (ITCs) with different chemical structures (the aromatic benzyl, 4-hydroxybenzyl, phenethyl isothiocyanates and the aliphatic allyl, napin, iberin, raphasatin isothiocyanates and sulforaphane) derived from hydrolyzed ..
- Xiao D, Bommareddy A, Kim S, Sehrawat A, Hahm E, Singh S. Benzyl isothiocyanate causes FoxO1-mediated autophagic death in human breast cancer cells. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e32597 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the present study provides novel insights into the molecular circuitry of BITC-induced cell death involving FoxO1-mediated autophagy. ..
- Gerhauser C. Epigenetic impact of dietary isothiocyanates in cancer chemoprevention. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2013;16:405-10 pubmed publisherThere is growing evidence that cancer chemopreventive agents including isothiocyanates (ITCs) from cruciferous vegetables target epigenetic mechanisms...
- Rajendran P, Kidane A, Yu T, Dashwood W, Bisson W, LOHR C, et al. HDAC turnover, CtIP acetylation and dysregulated DNA damage signaling in colon cancer cells treated with sulforaphane and related dietary isothiocyanates. Epigenetics. 2013;8:612-23 pubmed publisher..Here, we show in human colon cancer cells that dietary isothiocyanates (ITCs) inhibit HDAC activity and increase HDAC protein turnover with the potency proportional to alkyl chain ..
- Kim H, Kim H, Ehrlich H, Choi S, Kim D, Kim Y. Amelioration of Alzheimer's disease by neuroprotective effect of sulforaphane in animal model. Amyloid. 2013;20:7-12 pubmed publisher..While the exact mechanism of interaction of SFN in AD has not yet been ascertained, our results suggest that SFN can aid in cognitive impairment and may protect the brain from amyloidogenic damages. ..
- Tsai S, Huang W, Huang W, Lu C, Chiang J, Peng S, et al. ERK-modulated intrinsic signaling and G(2)/M phase arrest contribute to the induction of apoptotic death by allyl isothiocyanate in MDA-MB-468 human breast adenocarcinoma cells. Int J Oncol. 2012;41:2065-72 pubmed publisher..AITC is a potential agent for applcation in the treatment of human breast cancer. ..
- Barrera L, Johnson I, Bao Y, Cassidy A, Belshaw N. Colorectal cancer cells Caco-2 and HCT116 resist epigenetic effects of isothiocyanates and selenium in vitro. Eur J Nutr. 2013;52:1327-41 pubmed publisher..This study employed a combinatorial chemopreventive strategy to investigate the impact of selenium and/or isothiocyanates on DNA methylation processes in colorectal carcinoma cell lines...
- Benedict A, Mountney A, Hurtado A, Bryan K, Schnaar R, Dinkova Kostova A, et al. Neuroprotective effects of sulforaphane after contusive spinal cord injury. J Neurotrauma. 2012;29:2576-86 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that SF provides neuroprotective effects in the spinal cord after injury, and could be a candidate for therapy of SCI. ..
- Oh C, Kim J, Min A, Park K, Harris R, Kim H, et al. Sulforaphane attenuates hepatic fibrosis via NF-E2-related factor 2-mediated inhibition of transforming growth factor-?/Smad signaling. Free Radic Biol Med. 2012;52:671-682 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results show that SFN elicits an antifibrotic effect on hepatic fibrosis through Nrf2-mediated inhibition of the TGF-?/Smad signaling and subsequent suppression of HSC activation and fibrogenic gene expression. ..
- Jakobsen T, Bragason S, Phipps R, Christensen L, Van Gennip M, Alhede M, et al. Food as a source for quorum sensing inhibitors: iberin from horseradish revealed as a quorum sensing inhibitor of Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2012;78:2410-21 pubmed publisher..Real-time PCR (RT-PCR) and DNA microarray studies showed that iberin specifically blocks expression of QS-regulated genes in P. aeruginosa...
- Schramm K, Vassão D, Reichelt M, Gershenzon J, Wittstock U. Metabolism of glucosinolate-derived isothiocyanates to glutathione conjugates in generalist lepidopteran herbivores. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2012;42:174-82 pubmed publisher..system in plants of the order Brassicales have been attributed to the formation of toxic isothiocyanates generated upon tissue damage...
- Moon D, Kang S, Kim K, Kim M, Choi Y, Kim G. Sulforaphane decreases viability and telomerase activity in hepatocellular carcinoma Hep3B cells through the reactive oxygen species-dependent pathway. Cancer Lett. 2010;295:260-6 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data suggest that ROS are essential for the suppression of SFN-mediated telomerase activity via transcriptional and posttranslational regulation of hTERT. ..
- Kim S, Sehrawat A, Sakao K, Hahm E, Singh S. Notch activation by phenethyl isothiocyanate attenuates its inhibitory effect on prostate cancer cell migration. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e26615 pubmed publisher..Because Notch signaling is implicated in epithelial-mesenchymal transition and metastasis, the present study suggests that anti-metastatic effect of PEITC may be augmented by a combination regimen involving a Notch inhibitor. ..
- Warin R, Chambers W, Potter D, Singh S. Prevention of mammary carcinogenesis in MMTV-neu mice by cruciferous vegetable constituent benzyl isothiocyanate. Cancer Res. 2009;69:9473-80 pubmed publisher..The present study demonstrating efficacy of BITC against mammary cancer in an animal model provides impetus to determine its activity in a clinical setting. ..
- Mizuno K, Kume T, Muto C, Takada Takatori Y, Izumi Y, Sugimoto H, et al. Glutathione biosynthesis via activation of the nuclear factor E2-related factor 2 (Nrf2)--antioxidant-response element (ARE) pathway is essential for neuroprotective effects of sulforaphane and 6-(methylsulfinyl) hexyl isothiocyanate. J Pharmacol Sci. 2011;115:320-8 pubmed
- Rausch V, Liu L, Kallifatidis G, Baumann B, Mattern J, Gladkich J, et al. Synergistic activity of sorafenib and sulforaphane abolishes pancreatic cancer stem cell characteristics. Cancer Res. 2010;70:5004-13 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that SF may be suited to increase targeting of CSCs by SO. ..
- Wu X, Zhu Y, Yan H, Liu B, Li Y, Zhou Q, et al. Isothiocyanates induce oxidative stress and suppress the metastasis potential of human non-small cell lung cancer cells. BMC Cancer. 2010;10:269 pubmed publisherb>Isothiocyanates are natural compounds found in consumable cruciferous vegetables. They have been shown to inhibit chemical carcinogenesis by a wide variety of chemical carcinogens in animal models...
- Konsue N, Kirkpatrick J, Kuhnert N, King L, Ioannides C. Repeated oral administration modulates the pharmacokinetic behavior of the chemopreventive agent phenethyl isothiocyanate in rats. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2010;54:426-32 pubmed publisher..At the higher doses of 1.0 and 5.0 mg/kg, repeated administration led to higher PEITC plasma C(max) concentrations and decreased plasma clearance of the isothiocyanate leading to enhanced bioavailability. ..
- Kim J, Park H, Um S, Sohn E, Kim B, Moon E, et al. Sulforaphane suppresses vascular adhesion molecule-1 expression in TNF-?-stimulated mouse vascular smooth muscle cells: involvement of the MAPK, NF-?B and AP-1 signaling pathways. Vascul Pharmacol. 2012;56:131-41 pubmed publisher..Thus, sulforaphane may have beneficial effects to suppress inflammation within the atherosclerotic lesion. ..
- Bergström P, Andersson H, Gao Y, Karlsson J, Nodin C, Anderson M, et al. Repeated transient sulforaphane stimulation in astrocytes leads to prolonged Nrf2-mediated gene expression and protection from superoxide-induced damage. Neuropharmacology. 2011;60:343-53 pubmed publisher..The findings also demonstrate that part of this response can be built up by repeated transient stimulation, possibly explaining how intermittent intake of sulforaphane can result in long-term protection from radical-induced disease. ..
- Kim S, Nagalingam A, Saxena N, Singh S, Sharma D. Benzyl isothiocyanate inhibits oncogenic actions of leptin in human breast cancer cells by suppressing activation of signal transducer and activator of transcription 3. Carcinogenesis. 2011;32:359-67 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, BITC could potentially be a rational therapeutic strategy for breast carcinoma in obese patients with high leptin levels. ..
- Kang L, Wang Z. Breast cancer cell growth inhibition by phenethyl isothiocyanate is associated with down-regulation of oestrogen receptor-alpha36. J Cell Mol Med. 2010;14:1485-93 pubmed publisherThe dietary isothiocyanates (ITCs) exhibit strong chemopreventive activities for a variety of neoplasms including breast cancer...
- Nakamura Y, Miyoshi N. Electrophiles in foods: the current status of isothiocyanates and their chemical biology. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2010;74:242-55 pubmed..Current knowledge of isothiocyanates (ITCs), representative electrophile compounds from cruciferous vegetables, is discussed also, with ..
- Ho E, Clarke J, Dashwood R. Dietary sulforaphane, a histone deacetylase inhibitor for cancer prevention. J Nutr. 2009;139:2393-6 pubmed publisher..These studies also will provide a strong scientific foundation for future large-scale human clinical intervention studies. ..
- Negi G, Kumar A, Sharma S. Nrf2 and NF-?B modulation by sulforaphane counteracts multiple manifestations of diabetic neuropathy in rats and high glucose-induced changes. Curr Neurovasc Res. 2011;8:294-304 pubmed..This study supports the defensive role of Nrf2 in neurons under conditions of oxidative stress and also suggests that the NF-?B pathway is an important modulator of inflammatory damage in diabetic neuropathy. ..
- Noshita T, Kidachi Y, Funayama H, Kiyota H, Yamaguchi H, Ryoyama K. Anti-nitric oxide production activity of isothiocyanates correlates with their polar surface area rather than their lipophilicity. Eur J Med Chem. 2009;44:4931-6 pubmed publisher..We synthesized a series of isothiocyanates 2b-h based on 6-(methylsulfinyl)hexyl isothiocyanate (6-MITC) found in the pungent spice Wasabia japonica...
- Balasubramanian S, Chew Y, Eckert R. Sulforaphane suppresses polycomb group protein level via a proteasome-dependent mechanism in skin cancer cells. Mol Pharmacol. 2011;80:870-8 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that dietary isothiocyanates may suppress cancer progression by reducing PcG protein level via a proteasome-dependent mechanism, thereby ..
- Wang X, de Rivero Vaccari J, Wang H, Díaz P, German R, Marcillo A, et al. Activation of the nuclear factor E2-related factor 2/antioxidant response element pathway is neuroprotective after spinal cord injury. J Neurotrauma. 2012;29:936-45 pubmed publisher..These results show that activation of the Nrf2/ARE pathway following SCI is neuroprotective and that sulforaphane is a viable compound for neurotherapeutic intervention in blocking pathomechanisms following SCI. ..
- Dash P, Zhao J, Orsi S, Zhang M, Moore A. Sulforaphane improves cognitive function administered following traumatic brain injury. Neurosci Lett. 2009;460:103-7 pubmed publisher..These studies support the use of sulforaphane in the treatment of TBI, and extend the previously observed protective effects to include enhanced cognition. ..
- Hara M, Yatsuzuka Y, Tabata K, Kuboi T. Exogenously applied isothiocyanates enhance glutathione S-transferase expression in Arabidopsis but act as herbicides at higher concentrations. J Plant Physiol. 2010;167:643-9 pubmed publisherb>Isothiocyanates (ITCs) are sulfur-containing compounds that are generated by the glucosinolate-myrosinase system in plants...
- Li Y, Zhang T, Korkaya H, Liu S, Lee H, Newman B, et al. Sulforaphane, a dietary component of broccoli/broccoli sprouts, inhibits breast cancer stem cells. Clin Cancer Res. 2010;16:2580-90 pubmed publisher..Sulforaphane inhibits breast CSCs and downregulates the Wnt/beta-catenin self-renewal pathway. These findings support the use of sulforaphane for the chemoprevention of breast cancer stem cells and warrant further clinical evaluation. ..
- Hanlon N, Coldham N, Gielbert A, Sauer M, Ioannides C. Repeated intake of broccoli does not lead to higher plasma levels of sulforaphane in human volunteers. Cancer Lett. 2009;284:15-20 pubmed publisher..5h, and was characterised by a long terminal elimination phase. Repeated intake of broccoli had no impact on the pharmacokinetic behaviour or plasma levels of sulforaphane, and there was no evidence of accumulation. ..
- Kim M, Lee H. Growth-inhibiting activities of phenethyl isothiocyanate and its derivatives against intestinal bacteria. J Food Sci. 2009;74:M467-71 pubmed publisher..Addition of various functional groups to isothiocyanates resulted in selective inhibitory activity against harmful bacteria with low concentrations of aromatic ..
- Sakao K, Singh S. D,L-sulforaphane-induced apoptosis in human breast cancer cells is regulated by the adapter protein p66Shc. J Cell Biochem. 2012;113:599-610 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the present study provides new insight into the mechanism of SFN-induced apoptosis involving PKC? -mediated S36 phosphorylation of p66(shc). ..
- Bhattacharya A, Tang L, Li Y, Geng F, Paonessa J, Chen S, et al. Inhibition of bladder cancer development by allyl isothiocyanate. Carcinogenesis. 2010;31:281-6 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we show that AITC is a multi-targeted agent against bladder cancer. In conclusion, AITC is selectively delivered to bladder cancer tissue through urinary excretion and potently inhibits bladder cancer development and invasion. ..
- Clarke J, Hsu A, Williams D, Dashwood R, Stevens J, Yamamoto M, et al. Metabolism and tissue distribution of sulforaphane in Nrf2 knockout and wild-type mice. Pharm Res. 2011;28:3171-9 pubmed publisher..These data provide further evidence that sulforaphane is bioavailable and may be an effective dietary chemoprevention agent for several tissue sites. ..
- Mi L, Gan N, Chung F. Aggresome-like structure induced by isothiocyanates is novel proteasome-dependent degradation machinery. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;388:456-62 pubmed publisher..Here we report that small molecule isothiocyanates (ITCs) can induce formation of aggresome-like structure (ALS) through covalent modification of cytoplasmic ..
- Vauzour D, Buonfiglio M, Corona G, Chirafisi J, Vafeiadou K, Angeloni C, et al. Sulforaphane protects cortical neurons against 5-S-cysteinyl-dopamine-induced toxicity through the activation of ERK1/2, Nrf-2 and the upregulation of detoxification enzymes. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2010;54:532-42 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that SFN stimulates the NF-E2-related factor-2 pathway of antioxidant gene expression in neurons and may protect against neuronal injury relevant to the aetiology of Parkinson's disease. ..
- Shin J, Harte B, Ryser E, Selke S. Active packaging of fresh chicken breast, with allyl isothiocyanate (AITC) in combination with modified atmosphere packaging (MAP) to control the growth of pathogens. J Food Sci. 2010;75:M65-71 pubmed publisher..Overall, a release rate of 0.6 microg/h of AITC was found to not affect the color, whereas at 1.2 microg/h of AITC the surface of the chicken was discolored. ..
- Doudican N, Bowling B, Orlow S. Enhancement of arsenic trioxide cytotoxicity by dietary isothiocyanates in human leukemic cells via a reactive oxygen species-dependent mechanism. Leuk Res. 2010;34:229-34 pubmed publisher..Here, we report the identification of three isothiocyanates (sulforaphane, erysolin and erucin) found in cruciferous vegetables as enhancers of ATO cytotoxicity...
- Xiao D, Singh S. Phenethyl isothiocyanate sensitizes androgen-independent human prostate cancer cells to docetaxel-induced apoptosis in vitro and in vivo. Pharm Res. 2010;27:722-31 pubmed publisher..These results offer obligatory impetus to test PEITC-Docetaxel combination for the treatment of AIPC in a clinical setting. ..
- Huong L, Shin J, Choi E, Cho N, Kim H, Leem D, et al. ?-Phenethyl isothiocyanate induces death receptor 5 to induce apoptosis in human oral cancer cells via p38. Oral Dis. 2012;18:513-9 pubmed publisher..We also found that PEITC activated p38 and augmented DR5 to induce apoptosis in other human oral cancer cells. These results suggest that DR5 is a potential molecular target for PEITC-induced apoptosis in oral cancer via p38 MAPK. ..
- Moy K, Yuan J, Chung F, Wang X, Van Den Berg D, Wang R, et al. Isothiocyanates, glutathione S-transferase M1 and T1 polymorphisms and gastric cancer risk: a prospective study of men in Shanghai, China. Int J Cancer. 2009;125:2652-9 pubmed publisherb>Isothiocyanates (ITC) in cruciferous vegetables may be chemopreventive against gastric cancer development. Glutathione S-transferases (GSTs) may modify the chemopreventive effect of ITC...
- Sofrata A, Santangelo E, Azeem M, Borg Karlson A, Gustafsson A, Pütsep K. Benzyl isothiocyanate, a major component from the roots of Salvadora persica is highly active against Gram-negative bacteria. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e23045 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate the need for further investigation into the mechanism of the specific killing of Gram-negative bacteria by S. persica root stick extracts and its active component benzyl isothiocyanate...
- Boreddy S, Sahu R, Srivastava S. Benzyl isothiocyanate suppresses pancreatic tumor angiogenesis and invasion by inhibiting HIF-?/VEGF/Rho-GTPases: pivotal role of STAT-3. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e25799 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results suggest that BITC suppresses pancreatic tumor growth by inhibiting tumor angiogenesis through STAT-3-dependant pathway. ..
- Wu X, Zhou Q, Xu K. Are isothiocyanates potential anti-cancer drugs?. Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2009;30:501-12 pubmed publisherb>Isothiocyanates are naturally occurring small molecules that are formed from glucosinolate precursors of cruciferous vegetables...
- Ping Z, Liu W, Kang Z, Cai J, Wang Q, Cheng N, et al. Sulforaphane protects brains against hypoxic-ischemic injury through induction of Nrf2-dependent phase 2 enzyme. Brain Res. 2010;1343:178-85 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrated that SFN could exert neuroprotective effects through increasing Nrf2 and HO-1 expression. ..
- Kumar A, Sabbioni G. New biomarkers for monitoring the levels of isothiocyanates in humans. Chem Res Toxicol. 2010;23:756-65 pubmed publisherb>Isothiocyanates (ITCs) found in cruciferous vegetables have demonstrated cancer preventive activity in animals, and increased dietary intake of ITCs has been shown to be associated with a reduced cancer risk in humans...
- Mi L, Gan N, Chung F. Isothiocyanates inhibit proteasome activity and proliferation of multiple myeloma cells. Carcinogenesis. 2011;32:216-23 pubmed publisherb>Isothiocyanates (ITCs), including benzyl isothiocyanate (BITC), phenethyl isothiocyanate (PEITC) and sulforaphane, compounds found in cruciferous vegetable, are highly effective in inducing cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in a variety of ..
- Powolny A, Bommareddy A, Hahm E, Normolle D, Beumer J, Nelson J, et al. Chemopreventative potential of the cruciferous vegetable constituent phenethyl isothiocyanate in a mouse model of prostate cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2011;103:571-84 pubmed publisher..In this transgenic model, dietary PEITC suppressed prostate cancer progression by induction of autophagic cell death. Potential biomarkers to assess the response to PEITC treatment in plasma were identified. ..
- Brown K, Hampton M. Biological targets of isothiocyanates. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2011;1810:888-94 pubmed publisherb>Isothiocyanates are phytochemicals with a broad array of effects in biological systems. Bioactivity includes the stimulation of cellular antioxidant systems, induction of apoptosis and interference with cytokine production and activity...
- Fimognari C, Turrini E, Ferruzzi L, Lenzi M, Hrelia P. Natural isothiocyanates: genotoxic potential versus chemoprevention. Mutat Res. 2012;750:107-31 pubmed publisherb>Isothiocyanates, occurring in many dietary cruciferous vegetables, show interesting chemopreventive activities against several chronic-degenerative diseases, including cancer, cardiovascular diseases, neurodegeneration, diabetes...