Genomes and Genes
Summary: PHENOLS carrying nitro group substituents.
- Lucas K, Mohana Kumaran N, Lau D, Zhang X, Hersey P, Huang D, et al. Modulation of NOXA and MCL-1 as a strategy for sensitizing melanoma cells to the BH3-mimetic ABT-737. Clin Cancer Res. 2012;18:783-95 pubmed publisher..Sensitization of tumors to BH3-mimetics by cytotoxic drugs that induce NOXA is a therapeutic strategy worth exploring for the treatment of melanoma and other solid cancers. ..
- Bertin Ciftci J, Barre B, Le Pen J, Maillet L, Couriaud C, Juin P, et al. pRb/E2F-1-mediated caspase-dependent induction of Noxa amplifies the apoptotic effects of the Bcl-2/Bcl-xL inhibitor ABT-737. Cell Death Differ. 2013;20:755-64 pubmed publisher..Thus, caspases contribute to trigger the mitochondrial apoptotic pathway by coupling Bcl-2/Bcl-xL inhibition to that of Mcl-1, via the pRb/E2F-1-dependent induction of Noxa. ..
- Doi K, Li R, Sung S, Wu H, Liu Y, Manieri W, et al. Discovery of marinopyrrole A (maritoclax) as a selective Mcl-1 antagonist that overcomes ABT-737 resistance by binding to and targeting Mcl-1 for proteasomal degradation. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:10224-35 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that maritoclax represents a new class of Mcl-1 inhibitors, which antagonizes Mcl-1 and overcomes ABT-737 resistance by targeting Mcl-1 for degradation. ..
- Wang H, Yang Y, Shen H, Gu J, Li T, Li X. ABT-737 induces Bim expression via JNK signaling pathway and its effect on the radiation sensitivity of HeLa cells. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e52483 pubmed publisher..Our data imply that combination of ABT-737 and conventional radiation therapy might represent a highly effective therapeutic approach for future treatment of cervical cancer. ..
- Ishitsuka K, Kunami N, Katsuya H, Nogami R, Ishikawa C, Yotsumoto F, et al. Targeting Bcl-2 family proteins in adult T-cell leukemia/lymphoma: in vitro and in vivo effects of the novel Bcl-2 family inhibitor ABT-737. Cancer Lett. 2012;317:218-25 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the use of an agent targeting anti-apoptotic bcl-2 family proteins, either alone or in combination with other conventional drugs, represents a novel promising approach for ATLL. ..
- Chen S, Dai Y, Harada H, Dent P, Grant S. Mcl-1 down-regulation potentiates ABT-737 lethality by cooperatively inducing Bak activation and Bax translocation. Cancer Res. 2007;67:782-91 pubmed..These findings provide a mechanistic basis for simultaneously targeting Mcl-1 and Bcl-2/Bcl-xL in leukemia. ..
- Wei Q, Liu H, Zhang J, Wang S, Xiao Y, Zhou N. Characterization of a para-nitrophenol catabolic cluster in Pseudomonas sp. strain NyZ402 and construction of an engineered strain capable of simultaneously mineralizing both para- and ortho-nitrophenols. Biodegradation. 2010;21:575-84 pubmed publisher..strain NyZ215 into strain NyZ402. ..
- Roussos P, Giakoumaki S, Bitsios P. Tolcapone effects on gating, working memory, and mood interact with the synonymous catechol-O-methyltransferase rs4818c/g polymorphism. Biol Psychiatry. 2009;66:997-1004 pubmed publisher..Tolcapone could be potentially useful in the treatment of conditions with deficient sensorimotor gating and working memory such as schizophrenia and prodromal states but only in a genotype-specific manner. ..
- Bitsios P, Roussos P. Tolcapone, COMT polymorphisms and pharmacogenomic treatment of schizophrenia. Pharmacogenomics. 2011;12:559-66 pubmed publisher..It will soon be understood if tolcapone represents one of the first hypothesis-driven, biology-based, genotype-specific, targeted treatments of cognitive and negative symptoms of schizophrenia. ..
- Zhang J, Liu H, Xiao Y, Zhang X, Zhou N. Identification and characterization of catabolic para-nitrophenol 4-monooxygenase and para-benzoquinone reductase from Pseudomonas sp. strain WBC-3. J Bacteriol. 2009;191:2703-10 pubmed publisher..J. Moonen, N. M. Kamerbeek, A. H. Westphal, S. A. Boeren, D. B. Janssen, M. W. Fraaije, and W. J. van Berkel, J. Bacteriol. 190:5190-5198, 2008), suggesting that the genes involved in PNP degradation are physically linked. ..
- Hu T, Kaluzhny Y, Mun G, Barnett B, Karetsky V, Wilt N, et al. Intralaboratory and interlaboratory evaluation of the EpiDerm 3D human reconstructed skin micronucleus (RSMN) assay. Mutat Res. 2009;673:100-8 pubmed publisher..These results indicate the RSMN assay using the EpiDerm 3D human skin model is a promising new in vitro genotoxicity assay that allows evaluation of chromosome damage following "in vivo-like" dermal exposures...
- Vogler M, Dinsdale D, Dyer M, Cohen G. Bcl-2 inhibitors: small molecules with a big impact on cancer therapy. Cell Death Differ. 2009;16:360-7 pubmed publisher..In in vitro studies, primary cells from patients with various B-cell malignancies are exquisitely sensitive to ABT-737, exhibiting novel morphological features of apoptosis including marked outer mitochondrial membrane rupture. ..
- Hauck P, Chao B, Litz J, Krystal G. Alterations in the Noxa/Mcl-1 axis determine sensitivity of small cell lung cancer to the BH3 mimetic ABT-737. Mol Cancer Ther. 2009;8:883-92 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that Noxa expression is the critical determinant of ABT-737 sensitivity and loss of Noxa-mediated regulation of Mcl-1 expression may be an important feature of small cell lung cancer biology. ..
- Malik S, Orhon I, Morselli E, Criollo A, Shen S, Marino G, et al. BH3 mimetics activate multiple pro-autophagic pathways. Oncogene. 2011;30:3918-29 pubmed publisher..These results point to unexpected and pleiotropic pro-autophagic effects of BH3 mimetics involving the modulation of multiple signalling pathways. ..
- Vogler M, Furdas S, Jung M, Kuwana T, Dyer M, Cohen G. Diminished sensitivity of chronic lymphocytic leukemia cells to ABT-737 and ABT-263 due to albumin binding in blood. Clin Cancer Res. 2010;16:4217-25 pubmed publisher..Modification of ABT-263 may yield a BCL2 inhibitor with greater bioavailability and more favorable pharmacokinetics. ..
- Wesarg E, Hoffarth S, Wiewrodt R, Kröll M, Biesterfeld S, Huber C, et al. Targeting BCL-2 family proteins to overcome drug resistance in non-small cell lung cancer. Int J Cancer. 2007;121:2387-94 pubmed..Targeting the MOM permeabilizer BAK appears to have a broader apoptogenic activity than the BH3-only mimetic ABT-737. ..
- Zhang L, Ming L, Yu J. BH3 mimetics to improve cancer therapy; mechanisms and examples. Drug Resist Updat. 2007;10:207-17 pubmed..This review summarizes recent advances in understanding the mechanisms of action of BH3 domains and several classes of BH3 mimetics, as well as the prospects of using these agents to improve cancer therapy. ..
- Paoluzzi L, Gonen M, Bhagat G, Furman R, Gardner J, Scotto L, et al. The BH3-only mimetic ABT-737 synergizes the antineoplastic activity of proteasome inhibitors in lymphoid malignancies. Blood. 2008;112:2906-16 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data suggest that ABT-737 alone or in combination with a proteasome inhibitor represents a novel and potentially important platform for the treatment of B-cell malignancies. ..
- Bray K, Chen H, Karp C, May M, Ganesan S, Karantza Wadsworth V, et al. Bcl-2 modulation to activate apoptosis in prostate cancer. Mol Cancer Res. 2009;7:1487-96 pubmed publisher..Thus, rational targeting of both the Bcl-2 and Mcl-1 mechanisms of apoptosis resistance may be therapeutically advantageous for advanced prostate cancer. ..
- Will B, Siddiqi T, Jorda M, Shimamura T, Luptakova K, Staber P, et al. Apoptosis induced by JAK2 inhibition is mediated by Bim and enhanced by the BH3 mimetic ABT-737 in JAK2 mutant human erythroid cells. Blood. 2010;115:2901-9 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that Bim is a key effector molecule in JAK2 inhibition-induced apoptosis and that targeting this apoptotic pathway could be a novel therapeutic strategy for patients with activating JAK2 mutations...
- Chauhan A, Pandey G, Sharma N, Paul D, Pandey J, Jain R. p-Nitrophenol degradation via 4-nitrocatechol in Burkholderia sp. SJ98 and cloning of some of the lower pathway genes. Environ Sci Technol. 2010;44:3435-41 pubmed publisher..This is one of the first conclusive reports for 4-NC and BT mediated degradation of PNP in a Gram negative organism...
- Lestini B, Goldsmith K, Fluchel M, Liu X, Chen N, Goyal B, et al. Mcl1 downregulation sensitizes neuroblastoma to cytotoxic chemotherapy and small molecule Bcl2-family antagonists. Cancer Biol Ther. 2009;8:1587-95 pubmed..Optimization of compounds with higher Mcl1 affinity, or combination with additional Mcl1 antagonists, may enhance the clinical utility of this approach. ..
- Chen J, Song J, Yuan P, Tian Q, Ji Y, Ren Patterson R, et al. Orientation and cellular distribution of membrane-bound catechol-O-methyltransferase in cortical neurons: implications for drug development. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:34752-60 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that MB-COMT specific inhibitors can be developed and that tolcapone may be less hazardous at low doses and in specific genetic backgrounds. ..
- Zagorodna O, Martin S, Rutkowski D, Kuwana T, Spitz D, Knudson C. 2-deoxyglucose-induced toxicity is regulated by Bcl-2 family members and is enhanced by antagonizing Bcl-2 in lymphoma cell lines. Oncogene. 2012;31:2738-49 pubmed publisher..Bcl-2 inhibition combined with 2DG may be an effective therapeutic strategy for lymphoma. ..
- Bruncko M, Oost T, Belli B, Ding H, Joseph M, Kunzer A, et al. Studies leading to potent, dual inhibitors of Bcl-2 and Bcl-xL. J Med Chem. 2007;50:641-62 pubmed..Compound 2 demonstrated single agent efficacy against human follicular lymphoma cell lines that overexpress Bcl-2, and efficacy in a murine xenograft model of lymphoma when given both as a single agent and in combination with etoposide. ..
- Jayanthan A, Incoronato A, Singh A, Blackmore C, Bernoux D, Lewis V, et al. Cytotoxicity, drug combinability, and biological correlates of ABT-737 against acute lymphoblastic leukemia cells with MLL rearrangement. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2011;56:353-60 pubmed publisher..In addition, identification of the molecular changes that occur in the presence of ABT-737 provides information regarding effective target validation and target modulation analyses in future clinical trials. ..
- Deng J, Carlson N, Takeyama K, Dal Cin P, Shipp M, Letai A. BH3 profiling identifies three distinct classes of apoptotic blocks to predict response to ABT-737 and conventional chemotherapeutic agents. Cancer Cell. 2007;12:171-85 pubmed..BCL-2 dependence correlates with high levels of proapoptotic BIM sequestered by BCL-2. Strikingly, BH3 profiling can also predict sensitivity to conventional chemotherapeutic agents like etoposide, vincristine, and adriamycin. ..
- Yang T, Barbone D, Fennell D, Broaddus V. Bcl-2 family proteins contribute to apoptotic resistance in lung cancer multicellular spheroids. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2009;41:14-23 pubmed publisher..Our study suggests that the balance of Bcl-2 family proteins contributes to the acquired multicellular resistance of spheroids, and suggests a possible target for improving the response of lung cancer to bortezomib therapies. ..
- Howard A, Bridges K, Meyn R, Chandra J. ABT-737, a BH3 mimetic, induces glutathione depletion and oxidative stress. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2009;65:41-54 pubmed publisher..Clinically, redox alterations as a consequence of Bcl-2 inhibition by ABT-737 should be considered in devising combination therapies with this novel agent or its derivatives. ..
- Bardwell P, Gu J, McCarthy D, Wallace C, Bryant S, Goess C, et al. The Bcl-2 family antagonist ABT-737 significantly inhibits multiple animal models of autoimmunity. J Immunol. 2009;182:7482-9 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that treatment with a Bcl-2 family antagonist represents a novel and potentially attractive therapeutic approach for the clinical treatment of autoimmunity. ..
- Mason K, Khaw S, Rayeroux K, Chew E, Lee E, Fairlie W, et al. The BH3 mimetic compound, ABT-737, synergizes with a range of cytotoxic chemotherapy agents in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Leukemia. 2009;23:2034-41 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that combination of ABT-737 with a second anti-leukemic agent would improve response rates and suggest a potential role for combination therapies that include BH3 mimetics for the treatment of this disease. ..
- Carrington E, Vikstrom I, Light A, Sutherland R, Londrigan S, Mason K, et al. BH3 mimetics antagonizing restricted prosurvival Bcl-2 proteins represent another class of selective immune modulatory drugs. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:10967-71 pubmed publisher..These results provide an insight into the selective mechanisms of immune cell survival and how this selectivity avails a different strategy for immune modulation. ..
- Xu H, Krystal G. Actinomycin D decreases Mcl-1 expression and acts synergistically with ABT-737 against small cell lung cancer cell lines. Clin Cancer Res. 2010;16:4392-400 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data suggest the feasibility of combining actinomycin D with BH3-mimetic drugs in the clinical setting. ..
- Kodama T, Takehara T, Hikita H, Shimizu S, Shigekawa M, Li W, et al. BH3-only activator proteins Bid and Bim are dispensable for Bak/Bax-dependent thrombocyte apoptosis induced by Bcl-xL deficiency: molecular requisites for the mitochondrial pathway to apoptosis in platelets. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:13905-13 pubmed publisher..Despite residing in platelets, BH3-only activator proteins Bid and Bim are dispensable for Bax activation and mitochondrial apoptosis. ..
- Arora P, Jain R. Pathway for degradation of 2-chloro-4-nitrophenol in Arthrobacter sp. SJCon. Curr Microbiol. 2011;63:568-73 pubmed publisher..SJCon degraded 2C4NP via formation of CHQ that further cleaved to MA by CHQ dioxygenase. This mechanism of degradation of 2C4NP differs from previously reported degradation pathways of 2C4NP...
- High L, Szymanska B, Wilczynska Kalak U, Barber N, O Brien R, Khaw S, et al. The Bcl-2 homology domain 3 mimetic ABT-737 targets the apoptotic machinery in acute lymphoblastic leukemia resulting in synergistic in vitro and in vivo interactions with established drugs. Mol Pharmacol. 2010;77:483-94 pubmed publisher..Overall, this study supports the inclusion of the clinical derivative of ABT-737, ABT-263 (for structure, see Cancer Res 68:3421-3428, 2008), into clinical trials against relapsed/refractory pediatric ALL. ..
- Koyuncu H, Yildiz N, Salgın U, Köroğlu F, Calimli A. Adsorption of o-, m- and p-nitrophenols onto organically modified bentonites. J Hazard Mater. 2011;185:1332-9 pubmed publisherExperiments were conducted on the adsorption characteristics of o-, m- and p-nitrophenols by organically modified bentonites at different temperatures...
- Gautier F, Guillemin Y, Cartron P, Gallenne T, Cauquil N, Le Diguarher T, et al. Bax activation by engagement with, then release from, the BH3 binding site of Bcl-xL. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:832-44 pubmed publisher..This mechanism might contribute to the clinical efficiency of Bcl-x(L) inhibitors. ..
- Hickman J, Hardwick J, Kaczmarek L, Jonas E. Bcl-xL inhibitor ABT-737 reveals a dual role for Bcl-xL in synaptic transmission. J Neurophysiol. 2008;99:1515-22 pubmed..These observations support the possibility that endogenous proteolysis or a functionally equivalent modification of BCL-xL is responsible for the deleterious effects of hypoxia on synaptic activity. ..
- Song J, Kandasamy K, Zemskova M, Lin Y, Kraft A. The BH3 mimetic ABT-737 induces cancer cell senescence. Cancer Res. 2011;71:506-15 pubmed publisher..Thus, in multiple cancer types in which ABT-737 is incapable of causing cell death, ABT-737 may have additional cellular activities that make its use as an anticancer agent highly attractive. ..
- Cragg M, Jansen E, Cook M, Harris C, Strasser A, Scott C. Treatment of B-RAF mutant human tumor cells with a MEK inhibitor requires Bim and is enhanced by a BH3 mimetic. J Clin Invest. 2008;118:3651-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, the therapeutic efficacy of MEK inhibition requires concurrent unleashing of apoptosis by a BH3 mimetic and represents a potent combination treatment for tumors harboring B-RAF mutations. ..
- Traini R, Ben Josef G, Pastrana D, Moskatel E, Sharma A, Antignani A, et al. ABT-737 overcomes resistance to immunotoxin-mediated apoptosis and enhances the delivery of pseudomonas exotoxin-based proteins to the cell cytosol. Mol Cancer Ther. 2010;9:2007-15 pubmed publisher..Because of its activity in the ER, ABT-737 might be particularly well suited for enhancing the activity of immunotoxins that translocate from the ER to the cell cytosol. ..
- Yecies D, Carlson N, Deng J, Letai A. Acquired resistance to ABT-737 in lymphoma cells that up-regulate MCL-1 and BFL-1. Blood. 2010;115:3304-13 pubmed publisher..This dynamic increase suggests a novel mechanism whereby modulation of antiapoptotic protein function communicates with nuclear transcriptional machinery. ..
- Kim K, Moretti L, Mitchell L, Jung D, Lu B. Combined Bcl-2/mammalian target of rapamycin inhibition leads to enhanced radiosensitization via induction of apoptosis and autophagy in non-small cell lung tumor xenograft model. Clin Cancer Res. 2009;15:6096-105 pubmed publisher..Further investigations are warranted to assess the clinical potential of such strategy in lung cancer patients. ..
- Lieber J, Kirchner B, Eicher C, Warmann S, Seitz G, Fuchs J, et al. Inhibition of Bcl-2 and Bcl-X enhances chemotherapy sensitivity in hepatoblastoma cells. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2010;55:1089-95 pubmed publisher..In Hepatoblastoma (HB) apoptosis regulation contributes to resistance and therapy failure, therefore we modulated apoptosis sensitivity of HB cells for an improved cytotoxic activity of commonly used drugs...
- Shen X, Zhu L, Liu G, Yu H, Tang H. Enhanced photocatalytic degradation and selective removal of nitrophenols by using surface molecular imprinted titania. Environ Sci Technol. 2008;42:1687-92 pubmed..The increased selectivity was mainly attributed to the special interaction between the target molecules and the footprints polymer via the functional groups (-OH and -NO2). ..
- Furuta C, Noda S, Li C, Suzuki A, Taneda S, Watanabe G, et al. Nitrophenols isolated from diesel exhaust particles regulate steroidogenic gene expression and steroid synthesis in the human H295R adrenocortical cell line. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2008;229:109-20 pubmed publisherStudies of nitrophenols isolated from diesel exhaust particles (DEPs), 3-methyl-4-nitrophenol (PNMC) and 4-nitro-3-phenylphenol (PNMPP) have revealed that these chemicals possess estrogenic and anti-androgenic activity in vitro and in ..