Summary: An indicator and reagent. It has been used for several purposes including the determination of serum albumin concentrations
- Kouzuma T, Uemastu Y, Usami T, Imamura S. Study of glycated amino acid elimination reaction for an improved enzymatic glycated albumin measurement method. Clin Chim Acta. 2004;346:135-43 pubmed..995). This new improved method is free of interference by endogenous glycated amino acids and is unaffected by albumin concentration, and enables more accurate analysis of glycated albumin. ..
- White C, Wilson J, Schilling M. An investigation of the use of the MicroFoss as an indicator of the shelf life of pasteurized fluid milk. J Dairy Sci. 2006;89:2459-64 pubmed..This indicates that the PI-GN measurement can be utilized along with PI-TVC detection time to indicate potential shelf-life problems. ..
- Meyer T, Cusanovich M, Tollin G. Transient proton uptake and release is associated with the photocycle of the photoactive yellow protein from the purple phototrophic bacterium Ectothiorhodospira halophila. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1993;306:515-7 pubmed..On the basis of the crystal structure of PYP, we propose that this basic residue is lysine 111...
- Labriola L, Wallemacq P, Gulbis B, Jadoul M. The impact of the assay for measuring albumin on corrected ('adjusted') calcium concentrations. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2009;24:1834-8 pubmed publisher..The two most common assays for measuring albumin yield discordant results in uraemic patients, the Bromcresol purple (BCP) method providing lower albumin values than the Bromcresol green one (BCG)...
- Zemlin A, Burgess L, Engelbrecht A. Two cases of severe hypoalbuminemia (<10 g/L). Nutrition. 2009;25:1006-10 pubmed publisher..These cases describe two different disease states that lead to severe hypoalbuminemia by means of a similar underlying cause, namely severe inflammation or infection. ..
- Kato A, Takita T, Furuhashi M, Fujimoto T, Suzuki H, Hakamada M, et al. Influence of the assay for measuring serum albumin on corrected total calcium in chronic hemodialysis patients. Ther Apher Dial. 2011;15:540-6 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that the type of assay used for albumin measurement has an impact on albumin-corrected Ca levels. ..
- Kim Y, Sathiyanarayanan G, Kim H, Bhatia S, Seo H, Kim J, et al. A Liquid-Based Colorimetric Assay of Lysine Decarboxylase and Its Application to Enzymatic Assay. J Microbiol Biotechnol. 2015;25:2110-5 pubmed publisher..This assay is expected to be applied for monitoring and quantifying the liquid-based enzyme reaction in biotransformation of decarboxylase in a high-throughput way. ..
- Kulakovskaya T, Kulakovskaya E, Golubev W. ATP leakage from yeast cells treated by extracellular glycolipids of Pseudozyma fusiformata. FEMS Yeast Res. 2003;3:401-4 pubmed..The minimal effective glycolipid concentration was 0.13 and 0.26 mg ml(-1) for Cryptococcus terreus and Filobasidiella neoformans, while for Candida albicans and Saccharomyces cerevisiae it was 1.0 and 1.6 mg ml(-1)...
- Uchida Y, Okuzumi Y, Fujishiro M, Kawamura K, Shibasaki M, Shimetani N, et al. [Controversies in the determination of serum albumin concentration in chronic liver diseases]. Rinsho Byori. 2006;54:1008-12 pubmed..of serum albumin, serum albumin levels were measured by the Bromcresol green (BCG) method, the modified Bromcresol purple (BCP) method and immunoassay...
- Al Ghannam S. A simple spectrophotometric method for the determination of beta-blockers in dosage forms. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2006;40:151-6 pubmed..The proposed method was then applied to dosage-forms the percentage recoveries ranges from 99.12-100.95, and the results obtained were compared favorably with those given with the official methods. ..
- Meng Q, Krahn J. Lithium heparinised blood-collection tubes give falsely low albumin results with an automated bromcresol green method in haemodialysis patients. Clin Chem Lab Med. 2008;46:396-400 pubmed publisher..Albumin was measured using Beckman bromcresol purple (BCP) and Roche BCG methods on the Beckman Synchron LX20...
- Zeng F, Zhang Y, Yang Y, Wang Q. Evaluation of the clinical applicability of bromcresol purple method for measuring serum albumin. Di Yi Jun Yi Da Xue Xue Bao. 2003;23:369-71 pubmedTo evaluate the clinical applicability of bromcresol purple (BCP) method in serum albumin measurement, and to investigate the possibility to render the results thus obtained in agreement with those by traditional bromcresol green (BCG) ..
- Mabuchi H, Nakahashi H. Underestimation of serum albumin by the bromcresol purple method and a major endogenous ligand in uremia. Clin Chim Acta. 1987;167:89-96 pubmedIn hemodialyzed patients, the serum albumin concentration determined by the bromcresol purple (BCP) method was lower than that determined by an immunological method...
- Muramoto Y, Matsushita M, Irino T. Reduction of reaction differences between human mercaptalbumin and human nonmercaptalbumin measured by the bromcresol purple method. Clin Chim Acta. 1999;289:69-78 pubmedAlthough the bromcresol purple (BCP) method provides high specificity in measurements of serum albumin concentrations, we discovered a reaction difference between the values for human mercaptalbumin (HMA) and human nonmercaptalbumin (HNA)..
- Evans G, Parsons C. A comparison of two dye-binding methods for the determination of dog, rat and human plasma albumins. J Comp Pathol. 1988;98:453-60 pubmed..These observations reflect differing affinities of the two dyes for albumins of different species. ..
- Shelef L, Firstenberg Eden R. Novel selective and non-selective optical detection of microorganisms. Lett Appl Microbiol. 1997;25:202-6 pubmed
- Kattan M, Al Kassiri H, Daher Y. Using polyvinyl chloride dyed with bromocresol purple in radiation dosimetry. Appl Radiat Isot. 2011;69:377-80 pubmed publisher..The response depends neither on dose rate nor on the irradiation temperature. The effects of post-irradiation storage in the dark and in indirect sunlight are also discussed. ..
- Faizul F, Abdul Kadir H, Tayyab S. Spectroscopic studies on the binding of bromocresol purple to different serum albumins and its bilirubin displacing action. J Photochem Photobiol B. 2008;90:1-7 pubmed..A significant blue shift in the absorption maxima and change in (DeltaAbs)(lambdamax) values of BR-albumin complexes upon addition of increasing concentrations of BCP revealed the BR displacing action of BCP on albumin molecule. ..
- Doumas B, Peters T. Serum and urine albumin: a progress report on their measurement and clinical significance. Clin Chim Acta. 1997;258:3-20 pubmedFor about 25 years, bromcresol green and bromcresol purple have been the basis for most of the measurements of serum albumin in the US and perhaps in the world...
- Chamjangali M, Bagherian G, Ameri S. A new induction period based reaction rate method for determination trace amounts of phenylhydrazine in water samples. J Hazard Mater. 2009;166:701-5 pubmed publisher..0, 5.0 and 7.0 microM of phenylhydrazine were 2.0%, 1.4%, and 0.90%, respectively. The potential interfering substances were studied in the presence of phenylhydrazine. The proposed method was applied to the analysis of water samples. ..
- Klauss A, Krivanek R, Dau H, Haumann M. Energetics and kinetics of photosynthetic water oxidation studied by photothermal beam deflection (PBD) experiments. Photosynth Res. 2009;102:499-509 pubmed publisher..Detailed PBD studies on all S-transitions will contribute to the progress in PSII research by providing insights not accessible by other spectroscopic methods. ..
- Kiyici A, Mehmetoglu I, Karaoğlan H, Atalay H, Solak Y, Turk S. Ischemia-modified albumin levels in patients with end-stage renal disease patients on hemodialysis: does albumin analysis method affect albumin-adjusted ischemia-modified albumin levels?. J Clin Lab Anal. 2010;24:273-7 pubmed publisher..IMA levels increase after hemodialysis, whereas albumin method has no effect on albumin-adjusted IMA levels. ..
- Agrimi G, Di Noia M, Marobbio C, Fiermonte G, Lasorsa F, Palmieri F. Identification of the human mitochondrial S-adenosylmethionine transporter: bacterial expression, reconstitution, functional characterization and tissue distribution. Biochem J. 2004;379:183-90 pubmed..The physiological role of SAMC is probably to exchange cytosolic SAM for mitochondrial S-adenosylhomocysteine. This is the first report describing the identification and characterization of the human SAMC and its gene. ..
- Bae K, Baumgartner J, Nakata T. Development of an anaerobic bacterial leakage model. J Endod. 1998;24:233-5 pubmed..A survey of pH chromogenic substrates revealed that bromcresol purple (pH 5.2 = yellow, pH 6...
- Lo S, Miller W, Doumas B. Laboratory performance in albumin and total protein measurement using a commutable specimen: results of a College of American Pathologists study. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2013;137:912-20 pubmed publisher..Eight of 9 instrument systems (86.5%) had satisfactory total-error performance for total protein measurement. ..
- Ueno T, Hirayama S, Ito M, Nishioka E, Fukushima Y, Satoh T, et al. Albumin concentration determined by the modified bromocresol purple method is superior to that by the bromocresol green method for assessing nutritional status in malnourished patients with inflammation. Ann Clin Biochem. 2013;50:576-84 pubmed publisher..We recommend that the modified BCP assay be used to assess nutritional status, particularly in patients with inflammation. ..
- Yao W, Byrne R. Spectrophotometric determination of freshwater pH using bromocresol purple and phenol red. Environ Sci Technol. 2001;35:1197-201 pubmed..5 < or =pH < or =8.5. The precision of pH measurements using phenol red in well-buffered freshwaters is on the order of +/-0.001 or better. ..
- Austin G, Cuenin M, Hokett S, Peacock M, Sutherland D, Erbland J, et al. Effect of nicotine on fibroblast beta 1 integrin expression and distribution in vitro. J Periodontol. 2001;72:438-44 pubmed..05). Nicotine concentrations of 0.2 and 0.4 microM significantly decrease beta 1 integrin expression in human gingival fibroblasts that may affect cell-cell and cell-substratum adhesion during wound healing. ..
- Gazy A, Mahgoub H, El Yazbi F, el Sayed M, Youssef R. Determination of some histamine H1-receptor antagonists in dosage forms. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2002;30:859-67 pubmed..The product of condensation is measured spectrophotometrically. All the reaction conditions for the proposed methods have been studied...
- Prim N, Pastor F, Diaz P. Zymographic detection of cinnamic acid decarboxylase activity. J Microbiol Methods. 2002;51:417-20 pubmed..The method developed can be used in preliminary approaches to biotransformation processes involving detection of hydroxycinnamic acid decarboxylase activity. ..
- Parikh C, Yalavarthy R, Gurevich A, Robinson A, Teitelbaum I. Discrepancies in serum albumin measurements vary by dialysis modality. Ren Fail. 2003;25:787-96 pubmed..the magnitude of the discrepancy in the serum albumin levels as measured by Bromcresol Green (BCG) and Bromcresol Purple (BCP) dye methods in patients on hemodialysis (HD) and peritoneal dialysis (PD) and to ascertain the ..
- Borucki B, Devanathan S, Otto H, Cusanovich M, Tollin G, Heyn M. Kinetics of proton uptake and dye binding by photoactive yellow protein in wild type and in the E46Q and E46A mutants. Biochemistry. 2002;41:10026-37 pubmed..In all of the systems proton release is synchronized with the decay of I(2). Our results support mechanisms in which the chromophore of PYP is protonated directly from the external medium rather than by the internal donor E46...
- Süslü I, Tamer A. Spectrophotometric determination of enoxacin as ion-pairs with bromophenol blue and bromocresol purple in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2002;29:545-54 pubmed..The data obtained by developed methods were compared with the spectrophotometric method in literature. No differences were found statistically. ..
- Vinay K, Revannasiddappa H, Rajendraprasad N, Ramesh P, Xavier C, Basavaiah K. Use of two sulfonthalein dyes in the extraction-free spectrophotometric assay of tramadol in dosage forms and in spiked human urine based on ion-pair reaction. Drug Test Anal. 2012;4:116-22 pubmed publisher..The methods were successfully applied to the determination of tramadol in tablets and injections and also in spiked human urine with good recoveries. The procedures are simple, accurate, and suitable for quality control application. ..
- Loiseau P, Bories C, Sanon A. A new photometric assay with bromocresol purple for testing in vitro antitrichomonal activity in aerobic environment. Arzneimittelforschung. 1999;49:51-5 pubmed..Minimal lethal concentrations (MLCs) could be read by eye. This test is now routinely used for anti-trichomonas evaluation of various chemical compounds and natural products. ..
- Blagg C, Liedtke R, Batjer J, Racoosin B, Sawyer T, Wick M, et al. Serum albumin concentration-related Health Care Financing Administration quality assurance criterion is method-dependent: revision is necessary. Am J Kidney Dis. 1993;21:138-44 pubmed..the two commonly used methods for determining serum albumin concentration, bromcresol green (BCG) and bromcresol purple (BCP), in normal subjects and in 235 unselected dialysis patients in view of recently established Health ..
- Fournier C, Gaspar A, Boillot F, Villard J. Evaluation of a broth microdilution antifungal susceptibility test with a pH indicator: comparison with the broth macrodilution procedures. J Antimicrob Chemother. 1995;35:373-80 pubmed..The MICs50 obtained were compared with the MICs found by the classical broth macrodilution procedure. In most cases broth micro- and macrodilution MICs were in agreement for amphotericin B, fluconazole, flucytosine and nystatin. ..
- Erstad B. Serum albumin concentrations: who needs them?. Ann Pharmacother. 1992;26:1134-8 pubmed..Serum albumin determinations should be limited to those situations in which the concentrations are likely to provide clinically useful information. Such situations are limited. ..
- Leary N, Pembroke A, Duggan P. Measuring albumin and calcium in serum in a dual test with the Hitachi 704. Clin Chem. 1992;38:1342-5 pubmedWe describe a method for simultaneously determining albumin, by using bromcresol purple, and calcium, by using Arsenazo III, in the same analytical cuvette on the Hitachi 704. Both assays agree well with accepted procedures...
- El Didamony A. Extractive spectrophotometric methods for the determination of oxomemazine hydrochloride in bulk and pharmaceutical formulations using bromocresol green, bromocresol purple and bromophenol blue. Arch Pharm (Weinheim). 2005;338:190-7 pubmed..No interference was observed from common pharmaceutical excipients. Statistical comparison of the results with those obtained by HPLC method shows excellent agreement and indicates no significant difference in accuracy and precision. ..
- Szundi I, Mah T, Lewis J, Jager S, Ernst O, Hofmann K, et al. Proton transfer reactions linked to rhodopsin activation. Biochemistry. 1998;37:14237-44 pubmed..The two forms of Meta-II, Meta-IIa' and Meta-IIb, differ in protonation state from one another as do both from the earlier, 380 nm absorbing form, Meta-I380. ..
- Abdine H, Belal F, Zoman N. Simple spectrophotometric determination of cinnarizine in its dosage forms. Farmaco. 2002;57:267-71 pubmed..In addition, this method was also found to be specific for the analysis of cinnarizine in the presence of some of the co-formulated drugs, such as pyridoxine hydrochloride and digoxin. ..
- Maresova L, Sychrova H. Applications of a microplate reader in yeast physiology research. Biotechniques. 2007;43:667-72 pubmed..The results can be observed in 24-48 h (for growth curves) or in 1-3 h (for pH changes) with minimal hands-on time required. ..
- Nakamaru Y, Sato C. Multivariate analysis of the association of bromocresol purple anion with bovine serum albumin. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1997;1341:207-16 pubmed..The dissociation constants were estimated at K1 = 1.6 x 10(-6) M for the first step and K2 = 1.2 x 10(-5) M for the second step. ..
- Ito S, Yamamoto D. Identification of two bromocresol purple binding sites on human serum albumin. Clin Chim Acta. 2010;411:1536-8 pubmed publisher..5 x 10(4) to 3.3 x 10(4). The n and Ka values for propofol were equivalent to those for native HSA. We postulate that the 2 BCP binding sites include a warfarin-binding site (drug-binding site 1) and 1 of the 2 ibuprofen-binding sites. ..
- Carfray A, Patel K, Whitaker P, Garrick P, Griffiths G, Warwick G. Albumin as an outcome measure in haemodialysis in patients: the effect of variation in assay method. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2000;15:1819-22 pubmed..These differences make comparative audit between nephrology units difficult and have implications for other biochemical variables and other specialties. ..
- Gowda B, Melwanki M, Seetharamappa J. Extractive spectrophotometric determination of ceterizine HCl in pharmaceutical preparations. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2001;25:1021-6 pubmed
- Xu Y, Wang L, Wang J, Liang H, Jiang X. Serum globulins contribute to the discrepancies observed between the bromocresol green and bromocresol purple assays of serum albumin concentration. Br J Biomed Sci. 2011;68:120-5 pubmed..Thus, the authors conclude that serum globulins contribute to the bias seen in the BCG and BCP assays, with the greatest effects observed for a-globulin on the BCG assay where higher concentrations contributed to a higher bias. ..
- Ballal M, Rajeswari -, Bindu A, Shivananda C. Correlation of the suicide phenomenon in Aeromonas species with virulence and enteropathogenicity. Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 2001;44:421-5 pubmed..caviae strains tested, none were lethal. The present data suggest that the suicide phenomenon may explain strain specific [A. veronii biotype sobria, A. hydrophila] and species specific [A. caviae] virulence and enteropathogenicity. ..
- McGinlay J, Payne R. Serum albumin by dye-binding: bromocresol green or bromocresol purple? The case for conservatism. Ann Clin Biochem. 1988;25 ( Pt 4):417-21 pubmed
- Suzuki Y. Influence of pH for the determination of serum albumin by a dye-binding method in the presence of a detergent. Anal Sci. 2008;24:1061-4 pubmed..The characteristics of pH(UL) in the reactions of the four dyes indicated good agreement with that obtained by a calculation. ..
- Wahbi A, Bedair M, Galal S, Gazy A. Spectrophotometric analysis of some guanidino drugs by acid-dye and charge-transfer complexation methods. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 1993;11:639-45 pubmed..4 x 10(4) l mol-1 cm-1 using iodine. The investigated drugs were assayed in tablets. The mean percentage recoveries were found to be 99.8-100.8% by the acid-dye method and around 100.4% by the charge-transfer complexation method. ..
- Aydogmus Z, Aydodmup Z, Barla A. Spectrophotometric determination of doxazosin mesylate in tablets by ion-pair and charge-transfer complexation reactions. J AOAC Int. 2009;92:131-7 pubmed..Statistical comparison of the results with those obtained by a reported method showed good agreement and indicated no significant difference in accuracy and precision. ..