Genomes and Genes
Summary: Whitish aromatic crystalline organic compounds made up of two conjoined BENZENE rings.
- Bobrie G. I-ADD study: assessment of efficacy and safety profile of irbesartan/amlodipine fixed-dose combination therapy compared with irbesartan monotherapy in hypertensive patients uncontrolled with irbesartan 150 mg monotherapy: a multicenter, phase III, pr. Clin Ther. 2012;34:1720-34.e3 pubmed publisher..Both treatments were well tolerated throughout the study. ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT00957554. ..
- Jeong J, Lee J, Chang K, Kim H. Honokiol exerts an anticancer effect in T98G human glioblastoma cells through the induction of apoptosis and the regulation of adhesion molecules. Int J Oncol. 2012;41:1358-64 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the results of this study suggest that honokiol exerts an anticancer effect by preventing metastasis and inducing apoptotic cell death of brain tumor cells. ..
- Aranovich A, Liu Q, Collins T, Geng F, Dixit S, Leber B, et al. Differences in the mechanisms of proapoptotic BH3 proteins binding to Bcl-XL and Bcl-2 quantified in live MCF-7 cells. Mol Cell. 2012;45:754-63 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the BH3 mimetic ABT-737 inhibited Bad and Bid but not Bim binding to Bcl-XL and Bcl-2. Thus, the selectivity of ABT-737 also differs markedly from predictions made from in vitro measurements. ..
- Lee Y, Choi D, Lee Y, Lee Y, Han S, Kim Y, et al. 4-O-methylhonokiol prevents memory impairment in the Tg2576 transgenic mice model of Alzheimer's disease via regulation of ?-secretase activity. J Alzheimers Dis. 2012;29:677-90 pubmed publisher..Our results showed that 4-O-methylhonokiol effectively prevented memory impairment by down-regulating ?-secretase activity through inhibition of oxidative stress and neuroinflammatory responses in Tg2576 transgenic mice. ..
- Wang H, Yang Y, Shen H, Gu J, Li T, Li X. ABT-737 induces Bim expression via JNK signaling pathway and its effect on the radiation sensitivity of HeLa cells. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e52483 pubmed publisher..Our data imply that combination of ABT-737 and conventional radiation therapy might represent a highly effective therapeutic approach for future treatment of cervical cancer. ..
- Liu X, Sun Z, Zhang M, Meng X, Xia X, Yuan W, et al. Antioxidant and antihyperlipidemic activities of polysaccharides from sea cucumber Apostichopus japonicus. Carbohydr Polym. 2012;90:1664-70 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that AJP may prove to be a potential candidate of the natural antioxidants as a therapeutic agent for hyperlipidemia...
- Tromp J, Geest C, Breij E, Elias J, van Laar J, Luijks D, et al. Tipping the Noxa/Mcl-1 balance overcomes ABT-737 resistance in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Clin Cancer Res. 2012;18:487-98 pubmed publisher..These data provide a rationale to investigate the combination of drugs which enhance the Noxa/Mcl-1 balance with ABT-737 to eradicate CLL in chemoresistant niches. ..
- Oyedemi S, Afolayan A. Antibacterial and antioxidant activities of hydroalcoholic stem bark extract of Schotia latifolia Jacq. Asian Pac J Trop Med. 2011;4:952-8 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that S. latifolia extract has antibacterial and antioxidants activity and thus could be used as alternative therapy against antibiotic resistance bacteria and to prevent many radical related diseases. ..
- Liu S, Wang K, Lan K, Lee W, Pan H, Wu S, et al. Calpain/SHP-1 interaction by honokiol dampening peritoneal dissemination of gastric cancer in nu/nu mice. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e43711 pubmed publisher..These findings also suggest that honokiol is a novel and potent inhibitor of angiogenesis and peritoneal dissemination of gastric cancer cells, providing support for the application potential of honokiol in gastric cancer therapy. ..
- Yu C, Zhang Q, Zhang H, Zhang X, Huo X, Cheng E, et al. Targeting the intrinsic inflammatory pathway: honokiol exerts proapoptotic effects through STAT3 inhibition in transformed Barrett's cells. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2012;303:G561-9 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest a potential role for targeting the intrinsic inflammatory pathways as a therapeutic strategy to prevent Barrett's carcinogenesis. ..
- al Said M, Mothana R, Al Yahya M, Al Blowi A, Al Sohaibani M, Ahmed A, et al. Edible oils for liver protection: hepatoprotective potentiality of Moringa oleifera seed oil against chemical-induced hepatitis in rats. J Food Sci. 2012;77:T124-30 pubmed publisher..Consequently, BO can be used as a therapeutic regime in treatment of some hepatic disorders. ..
- Kusunoki H, Taniyama Y, Rakugi H, Morishita R. Cardiac and renal protective effects of irbesartan via peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor?-hepatocyte growth factor pathway independent of angiotensin II Type 1a receptor blockade in mouse model of salt-sensitive hypertension. J Am Heart Assoc. 2013;2:e000103 pubmed publisher..In this study, we examined the organ-protective effects of irbesartan in a salt-sensitive hypertension model using AT1aR knockout mice...
- Ishitsuka K, Kunami N, Katsuya H, Nogami R, Ishikawa C, Yotsumoto F, et al. Targeting Bcl-2 family proteins in adult T-cell leukemia/lymphoma: in vitro and in vivo effects of the novel Bcl-2 family inhibitor ABT-737. Cancer Lett. 2012;317:218-25 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the use of an agent targeting anti-apoptotic bcl-2 family proteins, either alone or in combination with other conventional drugs, represents a novel promising approach for ATLL. ..
- Tian W, Deng Y, Li L, He H, Sun J, Xu D. Honokiol synergizes chemotherapy drugs in multidrug resistant breast cancer cells via enhanced apoptosis and additional programmed necrotic death. Int J Oncol. 2013;42:721-32 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate a promising way to circumvent MDR and apoptosis tolerance. ..
- Lin J, Chen J, Hong C, Lin Y, Wang K, Yao C, et al. Honokiol traverses the blood-brain barrier and induces apoptosis of neuroblastoma cells via an intrinsic bax-mitochondrion-cytochrome c-caspase protease pathway. Neuro Oncol. 2012;14:302-14 pubmed publisher..Therefore, honokiol may be a potential candidate drug for treating brain tumors. ..
- Merino D, Khaw S, Glaser S, Anderson D, Belmont L, Wong C, et al. Bcl-2, Bcl-x(L), and Bcl-w are not equivalent targets of ABT-737 and navitoclax (ABT-263) in lymphoid and leukemic cells. Blood. 2012;119:5807-16 pubmed publisher..These results have profound implications for how BH3-mimetics induce apoptosis and how the use of these compounds can be optimized for treating lymphoid malignancies...
- Rahmani M, Aust M, Attkisson E, Williams D, Ferreira Gonzalez A, Grant S. Dual inhibition of Bcl-2 and Bcl-xL strikingly enhances PI3K inhibition-induced apoptosis in human myeloid leukemia cells through a GSK3- and Bim-dependent mechanism. Cancer Res. 2013;73:1340-51 pubmed publisher..They also argue that combining PI3K/AKT/mTOR inhibitors with BH3 mimetics warrants attention in AML, particularly in the setting of basal AKT activation and/or addiction. ..
- Beer C, Blacker D, Bynevelt M, Hankey G, Puddey I. A randomized placebo controlled trial of early treatment of acute ischemic stroke with atorvastatin and irbesartan. Int J Stroke. 2012;7:104-11 pubmed publisher..04). Treatment with atorvastatin and irbesartan, initiated on day 3 after acute ischemic stroke, did not appear to substantially modify infarct growth. ..
- Senatore F, Oliviero F, Scandolera E, Taglialatela Scafati O, Roscigno G, Zaccardelli M, et al. Chemical composition, antimicrobial and antioxidant activities of anethole-rich oil from leaves of selected varieties of fennel [Foeniculum vulgare Mill. ssp. vulgare var. azoricum (Mill.) Thell]. Fitoterapia. 2013;90:214-9 pubmed publisher..The various samples of Florence fennel analyzed did not show any results with FRAP test. The DPPH test showed a weak capacity of the samples to catch the free radicals from the solution, attributable to their content in anethole. ..
- Cusick T, Chen C, Pennypacker B, Pickarski M, Kimmel D, Scott B, et al. Odanacatib treatment increases hip bone mass and cortical thickness by preserving endocortical bone formation and stimulating periosteal bone formation in the ovariectomized adult rhesus monkey. J Bone Miner Res. 2012;27:524-37 pubmed publisher..The drug provided marked increases in periosteal bone formation and cortical thickness in OVX monkeys, suggesting that CatK inhibition may represent a novel therapeutic approach for the treatment of osteoporosis. ..
- Martysiak Zurowska D, Wenta W. A comparison of ABTS and DPPH methods for assessing the total antioxidant capacity of human milk. Acta Sci Pol Technol Aliment. 2012;11:83-9 pubmed
- Doi K, Li R, Sung S, Wu H, Liu Y, Manieri W, et al. Discovery of marinopyrrole A (maritoclax) as a selective Mcl-1 antagonist that overcomes ABT-737 resistance by binding to and targeting Mcl-1 for proteasomal degradation. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:10224-35 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that maritoclax represents a new class of Mcl-1 inhibitors, which antagonizes Mcl-1 and overcomes ABT-737 resistance by targeting Mcl-1 for degradation. ..
- Winkler J, Rand M, Schmugge M, Speer O. Omi/HtrA2 and XIAP are components of platelet apoptosis signalling. Thromb Haemost. 2013;109:532-9 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that platelets have a functional intrinsic apoptotic-signalling pathway including the pro-apoptotic protease Omi/HtrA2 and its target protein XIAP...
- Lucas K, Mohana Kumaran N, Lau D, Zhang X, Hersey P, Huang D, et al. Modulation of NOXA and MCL-1 as a strategy for sensitizing melanoma cells to the BH3-mimetic ABT-737. Clin Cancer Res. 2012;18:783-95 pubmed publisher..Sensitization of tumors to BH3-mimetics by cytotoxic drugs that induce NOXA is a therapeutic strategy worth exploring for the treatment of melanoma and other solid cancers. ..
- Kumar S, Kumar A, Pathania A, Guru S, Jada S, Sharma P, et al. Tiron and trolox potentiate the autophagic cell death induced by magnolol analog Ery5 by activation of Bax in HL-60 cells. Apoptosis. 2013;18:605-17 pubmed publisher..Therefore, Bax seems to play a vital role in trolox and tiron mediated potentiation of autophagic cell death by Ery5 in HL-60 cells. ..
- Ponnurangam S, Mammen J, Ramalingam S, He Z, Zhang Y, Umar S, et al. Honokiol in combination with radiation targets notch signaling to inhibit colon cancer stem cells. Mol Cancer Ther. 2012;11:963-72 pubmed publisher..These studies warrant further clinical evaluation for the combination of honokiol and IR for treating colon cancers. ..
- Sohaib M, Anjum F, Khan M, Arshad M, Shahid M. Enhancement of lipid stability of broiler breast meat and meat products fed on alpha lipoic acid and alpha tocopherol acetate supplemented feed. Lipids Health Dis. 2012;11:57 pubmed publisher..In a nutshell, 150 mg/kg feed dietary supplementation of ALA with constant level of ATA can ameliorate the antioxidant potential, lipid stability and nutritional qualities of broiler breast meat and meat products. ..
- Al Balushi K, Habib J, Al Zakwani I. Comparative efficacy of irbesartan/ hydrochlorothiazide and valsartan/hydrochlorothiazide combination in lowering blood pressure: a retrospective observational study in Oman. Med Princ Pract. 2013;22:265-9 pubmed publisher..001). The irbesartan/HCTZ combination was associated with significant reductions in both SBP and DBP when compared with the valsartan/HCTZ combination. Specifically, the reductions were noted more in diabetics than nondiabetics. ..
- Antoniou T, Camacho X, Yao Z, Gomes T, Juurlink D, Mamdani M. Comparative effectiveness of angiotensin-receptor blockers for preventing macrovascular disease in patients with diabetes: a population-based cohort study. CMAJ. 2013;185:1035-41 pubmed publisher..Telmisartan and valsartan may therefore be the preferred angiotensin-receptor blockers for use in these patients. ..
- Kobayashi R, Tamura K, Wakui H, Ohsawa M, Azushima K, Haku S, et al. Effect of single-pill irbesartan/amlodipine combination-based therapy on clinic and home blood pressure profiles in hypertension with chronic kidney diseases. Clin Exp Hypertens. 2016;38:744-750 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that this single-pill combination-based therapy may exert beneficial effects on clinic and home BP profiles as well as on renal and vascular damages, in hypertension with CKD. ..
- Chen X, Tait A, Kitts D. Flavonoid composition of orange peel and its association with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities. Food Chem. 2017;218:15-21 pubmed publisher..Obtaining "nchenpi" from either Sichuan or Xinhui provided potentially superior health benefits compared to conventional chenpi sources. ..
- Cho S, Kang W, Han J, Min S, Kang J, Lee A, et al. An Integrative Approach to Precision Cancer Medicine Using Patient-Derived Xenografts. Mol Cells. 2016;39:77-86 pubmed publisher..This review summarizes our current knowledge of this field, including methodologic aspects, applications in drug development, challenges and limitations, and utilization for precision cancer medicine. ..
- Fierascu I, Ungureanu C, Avramescu S, Cimpeanu C, Georgescu M, Fierascu R, et al. Genoprotective, antioxidant, antifungal and anti-inflammatory evaluation of hydroalcoholic extract of wild-growing Juniperus communis L. (Cupressaceae) native to Romanian southern sub-Carpathian hills. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2018;18:3 pubmed publisher..The hydroalcoholic extract obtained from wild-growing Juniperus communis native to Romanian southern sub-Carpathian hills has genoprotective, antioxidant, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties. ..
- Zhu J, Yi X, Zhang J, Chen S, Wu Y. Chemical profiling and antioxidant evaluation of Yangxinshi Tablet by HPLC-ESI-Q-TOF-MS/MS combined with DPPH assay. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2017;1060:262-271 pubmed publisher..Meanwhile, it provided a practical strategy for rapid screening and identifying of in vivo antioxidant in traditional Chinese medicine preparations. ..
- Gao D, Qian S, Ju T. Anticancer activity of Honokiol against lymphoid malignant cells via activation of ROS-JNK and attenuation of Nrf2 and NF-?B. J BUON. 2016;21:673-9 pubmed..05). The present study suggests that HK causes considerable induction of apoptosis in lymphoid malignant cells, both in vitro and in vivo, whereas the generation of ROS might serve as an underlying mechanism for inducing apoptosis. ..
- Song T, Chai G, Liu Y, Yu X, Wang Z, Zhang Z. Bcl-2 phosphorylation confers resistance on chronic lymphocytic leukaemia cells to the BH3 mimetics ABT-737, ABT-263 and ABT-199 by impeding direct binding. Br J Pharmacol. 2016;173:471-83 pubmed publisher..Our data also provided a framework to overcome resistance of CLL cells to the ABT compounds by combining pBcl-2 kinase inhibitors with the ABT compounds. ..
- Cheng Z, Xue F, Wang S, Wang F, Liang L, Bai P, et al. [Honokiol inhibits the invasion and angiogenesis of U937 leukemia cells]. Xi Bao Yu Fen Zi Mian Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2014;30:143-6 pubmed..The expressions of VEGF, VEGFR1 and MMP-9 were down-regulated by HNK in a dose-dependent manner. HNK can inhibit the invasion and angiogenesis of U937 cells via down-regulating VEGF, VEGFR1 and MMP-9 expressions. ..
- Pan D, Crull G, Yin S, Grosso J. Low level drug product API form analysis - Avalide tablet NIR quantitative method development and robustness challenges. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2014;89:268-75 pubmed publisher..The speed and efficiency of the NIR method make it a suitable and convenient tool for routine analysis of Avalide tablets for Form B in a QC environment. ..
- Le Pen J, Maillet L, Sarosiek K, Vuillier C, Gautier F, Montessuit S, et al. Constitutive p53 heightens mitochondrial apoptotic priming and favors cell death induction by BH3 mimetic inhibitors of BCL-xL. Cell Death Dis. 2016;7:e2083 pubmed publisher..The acute sensitivity of mitochondrial priming to p53 revealed here is likely to be critical for the clinical use of BH3 mimetics. ..
- Marra A, Rossi D, Pignataro L, Bigogno C, Canta A, Oggioni N, et al. Toward the identification of neuroprotective agents: g-scale synthesis, pharmacokinetic evaluation and CNS distribution of (R)-RC-33, a promising SIGMA1 receptor agonist. Future Med Chem. 2016;8:287-95 pubmed publisher..R)-RC-33 shows a similar pharmacokinetic profile and a better CNS distribution when compared with PRE-084. (R)-RC-33 may be a promising candidate for in vivo studies in animal models of neurodegenerative diseases. ..
- Belkhiri F, Baghiani A, Zerroug M, Arrar L. INVESTIGATION OF ANTIHEMOLYTIC, XANTHINE OXIDASE INHIBITION, ANTIOXIDANT AND ANTIMICROBIAL PROPERTIES OF SALVIA VERBENACA L. AERIAL PART EXTRACTS. Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med. 2017;14:273-281 pubmed publisher..i>S. verbenaca could be considered as a potential source of natural antihemolytic, enzyme modulator, antioxidant and antibacterial agents. ..
- Vucić D, Petković M, Rodić Grabovac B, Stefanovic O, Vasić S, Comic L. Phenolic content, antibacterial and antioxidant activities of Erica herbacea L. Acta Pol Pharm. 2013;70:1021-6 pubmed..herbacea extracts are a rich source of phenolic compounds and also possess a significant antioxidant activity and moderate antibacterial activity. ..
- Zheng Z, Zhao Z, Li S, Lu X, Jiang M, Lin J, et al. Altenusin, a Nonsteroidal Microbial Metabolite, Attenuates Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease by Activating the Farnesoid X Receptor. Mol Pharmacol. 2017;92:425-436 pubmed publisher..In summary, we have uncovered a new class of nonsteroidal FXR agonist that shows promise in treating NAFLD and the associated metabolic syndrome. ..
- Belaqziz M, Tan S, El Abbassi A, Kiai H, Hafidi A, O Donovan O, et al. Assessment of the antioxidant and antibacterial activities of different olive processing wastewaters. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182622 pubmed publisher..It is apparent from the present study that OPW are a rich source of antioxidants suitable for use in food, cosmetic or pharmaceutical applications. ..