Genomes and Genes
Summary: Compounds which contain the methyl radical substituted with two benzene rings. Permitted are any substituents, but ring fusion to any of the benzene rings is not allowed.
- Buck Louis G, Sundaram R, Sweeney A, Schisterman E, Maisog J, Kannan K. Urinary bisphenol A, phthalates, and couple fecundity: the Longitudinal Investigation of Fertility and the Environment (LIFE) Study. Fertil Steril. 2014;101:1359-66 pubmed publisher..65 0.92, respectively). Select male but not female phthalate exposures were associated with an approximately 20% reduction in fecundity, underscoring the importance of assessing both partners' exposure to minimize erroneous conclusions. ..
- Cherney D, Perkins B, Soleymanlou N, Maione M, Lai V, Lee A, et al. Renal hemodynamic effect of sodium-glucose cotransporter 2 inhibition in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus. Circulation. 2014;129:587-97 pubmed publisher..http://www.clinicaltrials.gov. Unique identifier: NCT01392560. ..
- Valvi D, Casas M, Mendez M, Ballesteros Gómez A, Luque N, Rubio S, et al. Prenatal bisphenol a urine concentrations and early rapid growth and overweight risk in the offspring. Epidemiology. 2013;24:791-9 pubmed publisher..The large uncertainties in BPA exposure assessment require that findings be interpreted with caution. ..
- WOLSTENHOLME J, Goldsby J, Rissman E. Transgenerational effects of prenatal bisphenol A on social recognition. Horm Behav. 2013;64:833-9 pubmed publisher..These findings show that BPA exposure has transgenerational actions on behavior and have implications for human neurodevelopmental behavioral disorders. ..
- Lewis R, Meeker J, Peterson K, Lee J, Pace G, Cantoral A, et al. Predictors of urinary bisphenol A and phthalate metabolite concentrations in Mexican children. Chemosphere. 2013;93:2390-8 pubmed publisher..Due to rapid development, children may be susceptible to impacts from exposure to endocrine disrupting chemicals; thus, reduced or delayed use of certain personal care products among children may be warranted. ..
- Hunt P, Lawson C, Gieske M, Murdoch B, Smith H, Marre A, et al. Bisphenol A alters early oogenesis and follicle formation in the fetal ovary of the rhesus monkey. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:17525-30 pubmed publisher..Because effects on both stages of oogenesis were elicited using doses that yield circulating levels of BPA analogous to those reported in humans, these findings raise concerns for human reproductive health...
- Liao C, Kannan K. Determination of free and conjugated forms of bisphenol A in human urine and serum by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. Environ Sci Technol. 2012;46:5003-9 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge, this is the first report on the occurrence of BPAG and BPADS in human serum. ..
- Bae S, Kim J, Lim Y, Park H, Hong Y. Associations of bisphenol A exposure with heart rate variability and blood pressure. Hypertension. 2012;60:786-93 pubmed publisher..When the analyses were restricted to participants who did not report previous history of hypertension (n=258), the odds ratio was increased to 2.35 (95% CI, 1.33-4.17). ..
- Gioiosa L, Parmigiani S, vom Saal F, Palanza P. The effects of bisphenol A on emotional behavior depend upon the timing of exposure, age and gender in mice. Horm Behav. 2013;63:598-605 pubmed publisher..Combined with previous research, our study provides further evidence of the potential risks that even low doses of EDCs may pose to humans, with fetuses and infants being highly vulnerable. ..
- Scoriels L, Barnett J, Soma P, Sahakian B, Jones P. Effects of modafinil on cognitive functions in first episode psychosis. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2012;220:249-58 pubmed publisher..Modafinil selectively enhances working memory in first episode psychosis patients, which could have downstream effects on patients' social and occupational functioning. ..
- Alonso Magdalena P, Ropero A, Soriano S, García Arévalo M, Ripoll C, Fuentes E, et al. Bisphenol-A acts as a potent estrogen via non-classical estrogen triggered pathways. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2012;355:201-7 pubmed publisher..Thus, the purpose of the present review is to analyze with substantiated scientific evidence the strong estrogenic activity of BPA when it acts through alternative mechanisms of action at least in certain cell types. ..
- Tang W, Morey L, Cheung Y, Birch L, Prins G, Ho S. Neonatal exposure to estradiol/bisphenol A alters promoter methylation and expression of Nsbp1 and Hpcal1 genes and transcriptional programs of Dnmt3a/b and Mbd2/4 in the rat prostate gland throughout life. Endocrinology. 2012;153:42-55 pubmed publisher..We speculate that the distinctly different fate of early-life epigenetic marks during adulthood reflects the complex nature of lifelong editing of early-life epigenetic reprogramming. ..
- Ren W, Palazzo E, Maione S, Neugebauer V. Differential effects of mGluR7 and mGluR8 activation on pain-related synaptic activity in the amygdala. Neuropharmacology. 2011;61:1334-44 pubmed publisher..Presynaptic mGluR8 inhibits pain-related enhanced excitatory transmission in the CeLC. ..
- Lacroix M, Puel S, Collet S, Corbel T, Picard Hagen N, Toutain P, et al. Simultaneous quantification of bisphenol A and its glucuronide metabolite (BPA-G) in plasma and urine: applicability to toxicokinetic investigations. Talanta. 2011;85:2053-9 pubmed publisher..With urine samples, the simultaneous quantification appeared to be more suitable than the hydrolysis method for the BPA-G determination. ..
- Chung E, Genco M, Megrelis L, Ruderman J. Effects of bisphenol A and triclocarban on brain-specific expression of aromatase in early zebrafish embryos. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:17732-7 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that exposures to combinations of certain hormonally active pollutants can have outcomes that are not easily predicted from their individual effects...
- Vaidya S, Kulkarni H. Association of urinary bisphenol A concentration with allergic asthma: results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2005-2006. J Asthma. 2012;49:800-6 pubmed publisher..Lastly, urinary BPA independently predicted an asthma episode in the past 12 months in females but not in males. Urinary BPA is significantly associated with allergic asthma in females. ..
- Nelson J, Scammell M, Hatch E, Webster T. Social disparities in exposures to bisphenol A and polyfluoroalkyl chemicals: a cross-sectional study within NHANES 2003-2006. Environ Health. 2012;11:10 pubmed publisher..Differences by race/ethnicity were independent of SEP. ..
- Inagaki T, Frankfurt M, Luine V. Estrogen-induced memory enhancements are blocked by acute bisphenol A in adult female rats: role of dendritic spines. Endocrinology. 2012;153:3357-67 pubmed publisher..Thus, these novel data show that doses of BPA, below the current Environmental Protection Agency safe limit of 50 ?g/kg, rapidly alter neural functions dependent on E2 in adult female rats. ..
- Zhang Z, Alomirah H, Cho H, Li Y, Liao C, Minh T, et al. Urinary bisphenol A concentrations and their implications for human exposure in several Asian countries. Environ Sci Technol. 2011;45:7044-50 pubmed publisher..S. Environmental Protection Agency. This is the first study to document the occurrence of and human exposure to BPA in several Asian countries. ..
- Castro Diaz D, Miranda P, Sánchez Ballester F, Lizarraga I, Arumi D, Rejas J. Dose and aging effect on patients reported treatment benefit switching from the first overactive bladder therapy with tolterodine ER to fesoterodine: post-hoc analysis from an observational and retrospective study. BMC Urol. 2012;12:19 pubmed publisher..This study aimed to assess the effect of aging and dose escalation on patient-reported treatment benefit, after changing their first Overactive Bladder (OAB) therapy with tolterodine-ER to fesoterodine in daily clinical practice...
- Liao C, Liu F, Guo Y, Moon H, Nakata H, Wu Q, et al. Occurrence of eight bisphenol analogues in indoor dust from the United States and several Asian countries: implications for human exposure. Environ Sci Technol. 2012;46:9138-45 pubmed publisher..61, 15.8, and 18.6 ng/kg body weight (bw)/day, respectively, for toddlers and 1.72, 0.78, 2.65, and 3.13 ng/kg bw/day, respectively, for adults. This is the first report on the occurrence of bisphenols, other than BPA, in indoor dust. ..
- Buck Louis G, Peterson C, Chen Z, Croughan M, Sundaram R, Stanford J, et al. Bisphenol A and phthalates and endometriosis: the Endometriosis: Natural History, Diagnosis and Outcomes Study. Fertil Steril. 2013;100:162-9.e1-2 pubmed publisher..The lack of consistency of findings across cohorts underscores the impact of methodology on findings. ..
- Koch H, Kolossa Gehring M, Schröter Kermani C, Angerer J, Bruning T. Bisphenol A in 24?h urine and plasma samples of the German Environmental Specimen Bank from 1995 to 2009: a retrospective exposure evaluation. J Expo Sci Environ Epidemiol. 2012;22:610-6 pubmed publisher..Unconjugated BPA in urine and unconjugated or total BPA in plasma where contamination or breakdown of the glucuronide cannot be ruled out are of no value for human exposure assessment. ..
- Miao M, Yuan W, He Y, Zhou Z, Wang J, Gao E, et al. In utero exposure to bisphenol-A and anogenital distance of male offspring. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2011;91:867-72 pubmed publisher..008). Our findings provide the first epidemiologic evidence that in utero BPA exposure may adversely affect male genital development. ..
- Andersson H, Brittebo E. Proangiogenic effects of environmentally relevant levels of bisphenol A in human primary endothelial cells. Arch Toxicol. 2012;86:465-74 pubmed publisher..These studies demonstrate that environmentally relevant levels of BPA have direct proangiogenic effects on human primary endothelial cells in vitro suggesting that the human endothelium may be an important target for BPA. ..
- Coughlin J, Winnik B, Buckley B. Measurement of bisphenol A, bisphenol A ß-D-glucuronide, genistein, and genistein 4'-ß-D-glucuronide via SPE and HPLC-MS/MS. Anal Bioanal Chem. 2011;401:995-1002 pubmed publisher..While reports of the determination of BPA and genistein independently exist, the simultaneous optimized extraction and detection of BPA, genistein, BPA gluc, and genistein gluc have not previously been reported. ..
- Teeguarden J, Calafat A, Ye X, Doerge D, Churchwell M, Gunawan R, et al. Twenty-four hour human urine and serum profiles of bisphenol a during high-dietary exposure. Toxicol Sci. 2011;123:48-57 pubmed publisher..During these high dietary exposures, (TOT)BPA concentrations in serum were undetectable in 83% of the 320 samples collected and BPA concentrations were determined to be less than or equal to LOD in all samples. ..
- Silver M, O Neill M, Sowers M, Park S. Urinary bisphenol A and type-2 diabetes in U.S. adults: data from NHANES 2003-2008. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e26868 pubmed publisher..Additional studies, especially of a longitudinal design with repeated BPA measurements, are needed to further elucidate the association between BPA and T2DM. ..
- Toth I, Dietz M, Peterlik D, Huber S, Fendt M, Neumann I, et al. Pharmacological interference with metabotropic glutamate receptor subtype 7 but not subtype 5 differentially affects within- and between-session extinction of Pavlovian conditioned fear. Neuropharmacology. 2012;62:1619-26 pubmed publisher
- Quignot N, Arnaud M, Robidel F, Lecomte A, Tournier M, Cren Olivé C, et al. Characterization of endocrine-disrupting chemicals based on hormonal balance disruption in male and female adult rats. Reprod Toxicol. 2012;33:339-52 pubmed publisher..In vinclozolin-treated animals, the decreased estrogen-to-androgen ratios reported might be due to an increase of peripheral (adrenal) steroidogenesis. Thus, measurement of many endpoints is necessary for good risk assessment. ..
- Li M, Bi Y, Qi L, Wang T, Xu M, Huang Y, et al. Exposure to bisphenol A is associated with low-grade albuminuria in Chinese adults. Kidney Int. 2012;81:1131-9 pubmed publisher..There was no significant relationship between bisphenol A and combined micro- and macroalbuminuria. Thus, our study lends support to a potential relation between bisphenol A exposure and an increased risk of low-grade albuminuria...
- Nakajima Y, Goldblum R, Midoro Horiuti T. Fetal exposure to bisphenol A as a risk factor for the development of childhood asthma: an animal model study. Environ Health. 2012;11:8 pubmed publisher..Delayed expression of BPA-metabolizing enzymes may explain, at least in part, the enhanced fetal susceptibility to this common environmental contaminant. ..
- Ye X, Zhou X, Hennings R, Kramer J, Calafat A. Potential external contamination with bisphenol A and other ubiquitous organic environmental chemicals during biomonitoring analysis: an elusive laboratory challenge. Environ Health Perspect. 2013;121:283-6 pubmed publisher..g., clean rooms, biosafety cabinets) as needed; and homogeneous matrix-based quality control materials within the expected concentration ranges of the study samples. ..
- Ferrannini E, Seman L, Seewaldt Becker E, Hantel S, Pinnetti S, Woerle H. A Phase IIb, randomized, placebo-controlled study of the SGLT2 inhibitor empagliflozin in patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Obes Metab. 2013;15:721-8 pubmed publisher..Empagliflozin was well-tolerated with a favourable safety profile. ..
- Van Landuyt K, Nawrot T, Geebelen B, De Munck J, Snauwaert J, Yoshihara K, et al. How much do resin-based dental materials release? A meta-analytical approach. Dent Mater. 2011;27:723-47 pubmed publisher..There is a clear need for more accurate and standardized analytical research to determine the long-term release from resin-based materials. Several guidelines for standardization are proposed. ..
- Khullar V, Amarenco G, Angulo J, Cambronero J, Høye K, Milsom I, et al. Efficacy and tolerability of mirabegron, a ?(3)-adrenoceptor agonist, in patients with overactive bladder: results from a randomised European-Australian phase 3 trial. Eur Urol. 2013;63:283-95 pubmed publisher..Mirabegron, a ?(3)-adrenoceptor agonist, has been developed for the treatment of overactive bladder (OAB)...
- Ehrlich S, Williams P, Missmer S, Flaws J, Ye X, Calafat A, et al. Urinary bisphenol A concentrations and early reproductive health outcomes among women undergoing IVF. Hum Reprod. 2012;27:3583-92 pubmed publisher..The findings and conclusions in this report are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. ..
- WOLSTENHOLME J, Taylor J, Shetty S, Edwards M, Connelly J, Rissman E. Gestational exposure to low dose bisphenol A alters social behavior in juvenile mice. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e25448 pubmed publisher..We propose that BPA affects DNA methylation of Sc1a1 during neural development. Sex differences in juvenile social interactions are affected by BPA and in particular this compound modifies behavior in females. ..
- Batista T, Alonso Magdalena P, Vieira E, Amaral M, Cederroth C, Nef S, et al. Short-term treatment with bisphenol-A leads to metabolic abnormalities in adult male mice. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e33814 pubmed publisher..Thus, our findings support the notion that BPA can be considered a risk factor for the development of type 2 diabetes. ..
- Vandenberg L, Colborn T, Hayes T, Heindel J, Jacobs D, Lee D, et al. Hormones and endocrine-disrupting chemicals: low-dose effects and nonmonotonic dose responses. Endocr Rev. 2012;33:378-455 pubmed publisher..Thus, fundamental changes in chemical testing and safety determination are needed to protect human health. ..
- Ayyanan A, Laribi O, Schuepbach Mallepell S, Schrick C, Gutierrez M, Tanos T, et al. Perinatal exposure to bisphenol a increases adult mammary gland progesterone response and cell number. Mol Endocrinol. 2011;25:1915-23 pubmed publisher..Thus, perinatal exposure to environmentally relevant doses of BPA alters long-term hormone response that may increase the propensity to develop breast cancer. ..
- Xiao S, Diao H, Smith M, Song X, Ye X. Preimplantation exposure to bisphenol A (BPA) affects embryo transport, preimplantation embryo development, and uterine receptivity in mice. Reprod Toxicol. 2011;32:434-41 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate the adverse effects of high doses of BPA on processes critical for embryo implantation: embryo transport, preimplantation embryo development, and establishment of uterine receptivity. ..
- Vandenberg L, Hunt P, Myers J, vom Saal F. Human exposures to bisphenol A: mismatches between data and assumptions. Rev Environ Health. 2013;28:37-58 pubmed publisher..Our conclusions are consistent with the large number of hazards and adverse effects identified in laboratory animals exposed to low doses of BPA. ..
- Trasande L, Attinà T, Blustein J. Association between urinary bisphenol A concentration and obesity prevalence in children and adolescents. JAMA. 2012;308:1113-21 pubmed..Explanations of the association cannot rule out the possibility that obese children ingest food with higher BPA content or have greater adipose stores of BPA. ..
- Snijder C, Heederik D, Pierik F, Hofman A, Jaddoe V, Koch H, et al. Fetal growth and prenatal exposure to bisphenol A: the generation R study. Environ Health Perspect. 2013;121:393-8 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that maternal urinary BPA may impair fetal growth. Because previous studies have shown contradictory findings, further evidence is needed to corroborate these findings in the general population. ..
- Castro B, Sanchez P, Torres J, Preda O, del Moral R, Ortega E. Bisphenol A exposure during adulthood alters expression of aromatase and 5?-reductase isozymes in rat prostate. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e55905 pubmed publisher..Our results may offer new insights into the role of BPA in the development of prostate disease and may be of great value for studying the prostate disease risk associated with exposure to BPA in adulthood. ..
- Wang T, Li M, Chen B, Xu M, Xu Y, Huang Y, et al. Urinary bisphenol A (BPA) concentration associates with obesity and insulin resistance. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012;97:E223-7 pubmed publisher..20-3.14), but this association was not observed in those with BMI of 24 kg/m(2) or higher. BPA was positively associated with generalized obesity, abdominal obesity, and insulin resistance in middle-aged and elderly Chinese adults. ..
- Liao C, Liu F, Kannan K. Bisphenol s, a new bisphenol analogue, in paper products and currency bills and its association with bisphenol a residues. Environ Sci Technol. 2012;46:6515-22 pubmed publisher..Among the paper types analyzed, thermal receipt papers were found to be the major sources of human exposure to BPS (>88%). To our knowledge, this is the first report on the occurrence of BPS in paper products and currency bills. ..
- WOLSTENHOLME J, Edwards M, Shetty S, Gatewood J, Taylor J, Rissman E, et al. Gestational exposure to bisphenol a produces transgenerational changes in behaviors and gene expression. Endocrinology. 2012;153:3828-38 pubmed publisher..Heritable effects of an endocrine-disrupting chemical have implications for complex neurological diseases and highlight the importance of considering gene-environment interactions in the etiology of complex disease. ..
- Shankar A, Teppala S. Relationship between urinary bisphenol A levels and diabetes mellitus. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011;96:3822-6 pubmed publisher..Urinary BPA levels are found to be associated with diabetes mellitus independent of traditional diabetes risk factors. Future prospective studies are needed to confirm or disprove this finding. ..
- Asimakopoulos A, Thomaidis N, Koupparis M. Recent trends in biomonitoring of bisphenol A, 4-t-octylphenol, and 4-nonylphenol. Toxicol Lett. 2012;210:141-54 pubmed publisher..The benefits of solid phase extraction (SPE) and expected developments are demonstrated. Recent results from exposure assessment and epidemiologic studies for BPA, 4-t-OP and 4-NP are summarized and future trends are discussed. ..
- Tharp A, Maffini M, Hunt P, Vandevoort C, Sonnenschein C, Soto A. Bisphenol A alters the development of the rhesus monkey mammary gland. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:8190-5 pubmed publisher..No significant differences were observed in ER expression. Altogether, gestational exposure to the estrogen-mimic BPA altered the developing mammary glands of female nonhuman primates in a comparable manner to that observed in rodents. ..
- Wang F, Hua J, Chen M, Xia Y, Zhang Q, Zhao R, et al. High urinary bisphenol A concentrations in workers and possible laboratory abnormalities. Occup Environ Med. 2012;69:679-84 pubmed publisher..45, p=0.020, and insulin was positively associated with thyroid-stimulating hormone with r=0.57, p=0.009. Higher occupational BPA exposure, reflected in urinary concentrations of BPA, may be associated with thyroid hormone disruption. ..