Genomes and Genes
Summary: Amides composed of unsaturated aliphatic FATTY ACIDS linked with AMINES by an amide bond. They are most prominent in ASTERACEAE; PIPERACEAE; and RUTACEAE; and also found in ARISTOLOCHIACEAE; BRASSICACEAE; CONVOLVULACEAE; EUPHORBIACEAE; MENISPERMACEAE; POACEAE; and SOLANACEAE. They are recognized by their pungent taste and for causing numbing and salivation.
- Dessirier J, Nguyen N, Sieffermann J, Carstens E, O Mahony M. Oral irritant properties of piperine and nicotine: psychophysical evidence for asymmetrical desensitization effects. Chem Senses. 1999;24:405-13 pubmed..This asymmetrical cross-desensitization pattern is similar to that observed between capsaicin and nicotine and constitutes an additional similarity between piperine and capsaicin. ..
- Thenmozhi K, Yoo Y. Enhanced solubility of piperine using hydrophilic carrier-based potent solid dispersion systems. Drug Dev Ind Pharm. 2017;43:1501-1509 pubmed publisher..Results suggest that the piperine solid dispersions prepared with improved in vitro release exhibit potential advantage in delivering poorly water-soluble piperine as an oral supplement. ..
- Uhl R, Roberts T, Papaliodis D, Mulligan M, Dubin A. Management of chronic musculoskeletal pain. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2014;22:101-10 pubmed publisher..However, drug efficacy varies significantly by indication. Orthopaedic surgeons should be familiar with the widely available safe and effective nonnarcotic options for chronic musculoskeletal pain. ..
- Taketo M, Matsuda H. Short-term inhibition of GABAergic IPSCs induced by association of pre- and postsynaptic activation in the neonatal hippocampus. Neuropharmacology. 2017;121:39-48 pubmed publisher..This inhibition is mediated by a mechanism involving mGluRs, mAChRs, and CB1 receptors, and potentiated by NMDA receptor activation. ..
- Lawless H, Stevens D. Responses by humans to oral chemical irritants as a function of locus of stimulation. Percept Psychophys. 1988;43:72-8 pubmed
- Di Scala C, Mazzarino M, Yahi N, Varini K, Garmy N, Fantini J, et al. Ceramide binding to anandamide increases its half-life and potentiates its cytotoxicity in human neuroblastoma cells. Chem Phys Lipids. 2017;205:11-17 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data suggested that ceramide binds to AEA, increases its half-life and potentiates its cytotoxicity. Overall, these mechanisms account for a functional cross-talk between AEA and ceramide apoptotic pathways. ..
- Ma Z, Yuan Y, Zhang X, Xu S, Wang S, Tang Q. Piperine Attenuates Pathological Cardiac Fibrosis Via PPAR-?/AKT Pathways. EBioMedicine. 2017;18:179-187 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, piperine attenuated cardiac fibrosis via the activation of PPAR-? and the resultant inhibition of AKT/GSK3?. ..
- Liu L, Simon S. Similarities and differences in the currents activated by capsaicin, piperine, and zingerone in rat trigeminal ganglion cells. J Neurophysiol. 1996;76:1858-69 pubmed..Their different physiological responses evoked by these compounds can be rationalized, in part, by their very different activation and desensitization kinetics, and perhaps by the existence of different subtypes of vanilloid receptors. ..
- Lykkesfeldt A, Madsen M, Briand P. Altered expression of estrogen-regulated genes in a tamoxifen-resistant and ICI 164,384 and ICI 182,780 sensitive human breast cancer cell line, MCF-7/TAMR-1. Cancer Res. 1994;54:1587-95 pubmed..Our results indicate that treatment with pure antiestrogens may be effective when patients become refractory to tamoxifen therapy. ..
- Berry M, Metzger D, Chambon P. Role of the two activating domains of the oestrogen receptor in the cell-type and promoter-context dependent agonistic activity of the anti-oestrogen 4-hydroxytamoxifen. EMBO J. 1990;9:2811-8 pubmed..We also confirm that the wild type human oestrogen receptor has no ligand independent transcriptional activity. The implications of our results for the variable antagonist/agonist activity of anti-oestrogens in vivo are discussed. ..
- Panahi Y, Khalili N, Sahebi E, Namazi S, Reiner Z, Majeed M, et al. Curcuminoids modify lipid profile in type 2 diabetes mellitus: A randomized controlled trial. Complement Ther Med. 2017;33:1-5 pubmed publisher..Therefore, curcuminoids supplementation could contribute to a reduced risk of cardiovascular events in dyslipidemic patients with T2D. ..
- Stella N, Schweitzer P, Piomelli D. A second endogenous cannabinoid that modulates long-term potentiation. Nature. 1997;388:773-8 pubmed..Our results indicate that 2-AG is a second endogenous cannabinoid ligand in the central nervous system. ..
- Karlsson J, Gouveia Figueira S, Alhouayek M, Fowler C. Effects of tumour necrosis factor ? upon the metabolism of the endocannabinoid anandamide in prostate cancer cells. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185011 pubmed publisher..Further studies are necessary to determine the extent to which inflammatory mediators are involved in the abnormal endocannabinoid signalling system in prostate cancer. ..
- Murtaza G, Mermer P, Goldenberg A, Pfeil U, Paddenberg R, Weissmann N, et al. TASK-1 potassium channel is not critically involved in mediating hypoxic pulmonary vasoconstriction of murine intra-pulmonary arteries. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0174071 pubmed publisher..While there is compelling evidence that TASK-1 is involved in the pathogenesis of pulmonary arterial hypertension in humans, the mouse does not appear to serve as a suitable model to study the underlying molecular mechanisms. ..
- Verma A, Kushwaha H, Srivastava A, Srivastava S, Jamal N, Srivastava K, et al. Piperine attenuates UV-R induced cell damage in human keratinocytes via NF-kB, Bax/Bcl-2 pathway: An application for photoprotection. J Photochem Photobiol B. 2017;172:139-148 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we suggest the applicability of photostable PIP as photoprotective agent for human use. ..
- Gastón R, María Eugenia P, Das U, Eynard A. Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids Differentially Modulate Cell Proliferation and Endocannabinoid System in Two Human Cancer Lines. Arch Med Res. 2017;48:46-54 pubmed publisher..The growth of tumor cells can be differentially modulated by fatty acids and, at least in part, can be attributed to their ability to act on the components of the endocannabinoid system. ..
- Datta A, Kim H, Lal M, McGee L, Johnson A, Moustafa A, et al. Manumycin A suppresses exosome biogenesis and secretion via targeted inhibition of Ras/Raf/ERK1/2 signaling and hnRNP H1 in castration-resistant prostate cancer cells. Cancer Lett. 2017;408:73-81 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that MA is a potential drug candidate to suppress exosome biogenesis and secretion by CRPC cells. ..