Genomes and Genes
carbonyl cyanide m chlorophenyl hydrazone
Summary: A proton ionophore. It is commonly used as an uncoupling agent and inhibitor of photosynthesis because of its effects on mitochondrial and chloroplast membranes.
Publications115 found, 100 shown here
- Kucera I. Inhibition by phenylglyoxal of nitrate transport in Paracoccus denitrificans: a comparison with the effect of a protonophorous uncoupler. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2003;409:327-34 pubmed..A simplified kinetic model for phenylglyoxalation is proposed to account for the observed nonintegral reaction orders. ..
- Chiaradonna F, Gaglio D, Vanoni M, Alberghina L. Expression of transforming K-Ras oncogene affects mitochondrial function and morphology in mouse fibroblasts. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2006;1757:1338-56 pubmed
- Jung S, Yu J, Shin S, Park K, Jekarl D, Han K, et al. False susceptibility to amikacin by VITEK 2 in Acinetobacter baumannii harboring armA. Ann Clin Lab Sci. 2010;40:167-71 pubmed..baumannii isolate harboring armA. This phenomenon was not observed in the Serratia marcescens isolate harboring armA, but was detected in its transconjugant E. coli J53. ..
- Shafer W, Qu X, Waring A, Lehrer R. Modulation of Neisseria gonorrhoeae susceptibility to vertebrate antibacterial peptides due to a member of the resistance/nodulation/division efflux pump family. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:1829-33 pubmed..These results indicate that such efflux systems may enable mucosal pathogens like gonococci to resist endogenous antimicrobial peptides that are thought to act during infection. ..
- Ward S, Baker S, de Faoite A, Sanders K. Propagation of slow waves requires IP3 receptors and mitochondrial Ca2+ uptake in canine colonic muscles. J Physiol. 2003;549:207-18 pubmed..The data predict that partial loss of or disruptions to ICC networks observed in human motility disorders could lead to incomplete penetration of slow waves through GI organs and, thus, to defects in myogenic regulation. ..
- Kissová I, Deffieu M, Manon S, Camougrand N. Uth1p is involved in the autophagic degradation of mitochondria. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:39068-74 pubmed..These data show that, although the autophagic machinery was fully functional in the absence of Uth1p, this protein is involved in the autophagic degradation of mitochondria. ..
- Musiek E, Gao L, Milne G, Han W, Everhart M, Wang D, et al. Cyclopentenone isoprostanes inhibit the inflammatory response in macrophages. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:35562-70 pubmed..These findings suggest that cyclopentenone IsoPs may serve as negative feedback regulators of inflammation and have important implications for defining the role of oxidative stress in the inflammatory response. ..
- Ewen H, Kaltwasser H, Jahns T. Ammonium and methylammonium uptake in a fertilizer-degrading strain of Ochrobactrum anthropi. Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek. 2000;77:263-70 pubmed
- Tapia J, Jensen R, Garcia Marin L. Rottlerin inhibits stimulated enzymatic secretion and several intracellular signaling transduction pathways in pancreatic acinar cells by a non-PKC-delta-dependent mechanism. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2006;1763:25-38 pubmed..Our results give reasons for a more careful choice of rottlerin for PKC-delta investigation. ..
- Krasinskaya N, Samuilov V. Light-induced generation of electric potential difference in membranes of purple and green sulfur bacteria. J Bioenerg Biomembr. 1977;9:171-80 pubmed..The photoeffects were inhibited by CCCP and gramicidin. The data demonstrate that similar mechanisms of photoelectric generation function in membranes of the different bacteria studied...
- Falsafi T, Ehsani A, Niknam V. The role of active efflux in antibiotic - resistance of clinical isolates of Helicobacter pylori. Indian J Med Microbiol. 2009;27:335-40 pubmed publisher..Difference in the efflux potential of MAR isolates may be related to the presence or absence of functional efflux-pumps in diverse H. pylori isolates. ..
- Gigliobianco T, Lakaye B, Wins P, El Moualij B, Zorzi W, Bettendorff L. Adenosine thiamine triphosphate accumulates in Escherichia coli cells in response to specific conditions of metabolic stress. BMC Microbiol. 2010;10:148 pubmed publisher..Both conditions prevent bacterial growth. There is no obvious link with the stringent response or catabolite repression. ..
- Jan C, Chen L, Lin M. Ca(2+) mobilization evoked by chloroform in Madin-Darby canine kidney cells. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2000;292:995-1001 pubmed..Other solvents, such as ethanol, methanol, and DMSO, did not affect the resting [Ca(2+)](i) at a concentration of 248 mM. ..
- Kito Y, Fukuta H, Yamamoto Y, Suzuki H. Excitation of smooth muscles isolated from the guinea-pig gastric antrum in response to depolarization. J Physiol. 2002;543:155-67 pubmed..The possible involvement of the concentration-dependent differences in the actions of phorbol ester on the translocation of PKC was considered. ..
- Cheng J, Guffanti A, Krulwich T. A two-gene ABC-type transport system that extrudes Na+ in Bacillus subtilis is induced by ethanol or protonophore. Mol Microbiol. 1997;23:1107-20 pubmed
- Schuler D, Baeuerlein E. Iron-limited growth and kinetics of iron uptake in Magnetospirillum gryphiswaldense. Arch Microbiol. 1996;166:301-7 pubmed..Iron incorporation was sensitive to 2,4-dinitrophenol and carbonylcyanide-m-chlorophenylhydrazone, indicating an energy-dependent transport process. ..
- Wasniewska M, Karczmarewicz E, Pronicki M, Piekutowska Abramczuk D, Zablocki K, Popowska E, et al. Abnormal calcium homeostasis in fibroblasts from patients with Leigh disease. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2001;283:687-93 pubmed..Our findings suggest that altered calcium metabolism, apart from severe energy production failure, may also contribute to developing pathological conditions in patients with COX-deficient Leigh disease related to SURF-1 gene mutation...
- Yamagishi S, Edelstein D, Du X, Kaneda Y, Guzman M, Brownlee M. Leptin induces mitochondrial superoxide production and monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 expression in aortic endothelial cells by increasing fatty acid oxidation via protein kinase A. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:25096-100 pubmed..These results suggest that leptin induces ROS generation by increasing fatty acid oxidation via PKA activation, which may play an important role in the progression of atherosclerosis in insulin-resistant obese diabetic patients. ..
- Tinel H, Cancela J, Mogami H, Gerasimenko J, Gerasimenko O, Tepikin A, et al. Active mitochondria surrounding the pancreatic acinar granule region prevent spreading of inositol trisphosphate-evoked local cytosolic Ca(2+) signals. EMBO J. 1999;18:4999-5008 pubmed..When mitochondrial function is inhibited, this barrier disappears and the Ca(2+) signals spread all over the cytosol. ..
- Niederman R. Development and dynamics of the photosynthetic apparatus in purple phototrophic bacteria. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2016;1857:232-46 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled Organization and dynamics of bioenergetic systems in bacteria, edited by Prof Conrad Mullineaux. ..
- Curtis A, Grayless C, Fall R. Simultaneous determination of cyanide and carbonyls in cyanogenic plants by gas chromatography-electron capture/photoionization detection. Analyst. 2002;127:1446-9 pubmed..The method's utility for screening cyanogenic plants is demonstrated, and it should be useful for screening cyanogenic foodstuffs to determine suitability for consumption. ..
- Hassler C, Wilkinson K. Failure of the biotic ligand and free-ion activity models to explain zinc bioaccumulation by Chlorella kesslerii. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2003;22:620-6 pubmed..The presence of an active transport signifies that Zn uptake may function independently of the electrochemical Zn gradient and that, in some cases, both uptake fluxes and receptor-bound Zn may be independent of solution chemistry. ..
- Ganas P, Mihasan M, Igloi G, Brandsch R. A two-component small multidrug resistance pump functions as a metabolic valve during nicotine catabolism by Arthrobacter nicotinovorans. Microbiology. 2007;153:1546-55 pubmed publisher..NepAB may function as a metabolic valve by exporting methylamine, the end product of nicotine catabolism, and, in conditions under which it accumulates, the intermediate gamma-N-methylaminobutyrate...
- Ikonomidis A, Tsakris A, Kanellopoulou M, Maniatis A, Pournaras S. Effect of the proton motive force inhibitor carbonyl cyanide-m-chlorophenylhydrazone (CCCP) on Pseudomonas aeruginosa biofilm development. Lett Appl Microbiol. 2008;47:298-302 pubmed..aeruginosa. These data suggest that inhibition of PMF-dependent trasporters might decrease biofilm formation in P. aeruginosa. ..
- Edinger A, Cinalli R, Thompson C. Rab7 prevents growth factor-independent survival by inhibiting cell-autonomous nutrient transporter expression. Dev Cell. 2003;5:571-82 pubmed..These results suggest that proteins that limit nutrient transporter expression function to prevent cell-autonomous growth and survival. ..
- Sergeant G, Bradley E, Thornbury K, McHale N, Hollywood M. Role of mitochondria in modulation of spontaneous Ca2+ waves in freshly dispersed interstitial cells of Cajal from the rabbit urethra. J Physiol. 2008;586:4631-42 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that spontaneous Ca(2+) waves in urethral ICC are regulated by buffering of cytoplasmic Ca(2+) by mitochondria. ..
- Chien L, Brand M. The effect of chloroform on mitochondrial energy transduction. Biochem J. 1996;320 ( Pt 3):837-45 pubmed..We conclude that chloroform changes the measured H+/O as an artifact by causing mitochondrial breakage and does not cause measurable redox slip, whereas TMPD genuinely lowers H+/O...
- Azarkina N, Konstantinov A. Stimulation of menaquinone-dependent electron transfer in the respiratory chain of Bacillus subtilis by membrane energization. J Bacteriol. 2002;184:5339-47 pubmed..subtilis lacking succinate:quinone reductase as well as for substrates other than succinate. Possible mechanisms of the energy-dependent regulation of menaquinone-dependent respiration in B. subtilis are discussed. ..
- Gathmann S, Rupprecht E, Schneider D. High level expression of a protein precursor for functional studies. J Biochem Mol Biol. 2006;39:717-21 pubmed..coli signal peptidase, and protein processing was followed on Coomassie stained SDS polyacrylamide gels. We are optimistic that the presented method can be further developed and applied. ..
- Aung C, Ye W, Plowman G, Peters A, Monteith G, Roberts Thomson S. Plasma membrane calcium ATPase 4 and the remodeling of calcium homeostasis in human colon cancer cells. Carcinogenesis. 2009;30:1962-9 pubmed publisher..Our studies suggest that the remodeling of the calcium signal in colon cancer is associated with compromised calcium efflux at a level that promotes proliferative pathways while avoiding increased sensitivity to apoptotic stimuli. ..
- Haanes K, Novak I. ATP storage and uptake by isolated pancreatic zymogen granules. Biochem J. 2010;429:303-11 pubmed publisher..This indicates that co-released ATP would regulate P2 receptors in pancreatic ducts and, thus, ductal secretion, and this would aid delivery of enzymes to the duodenum. ..
- Affourtit C, Heaney S, Moore A. Mitochondrial electron transfer in the wheat pathogenic fungus Septoria tritici: on the role of alternative respiratory enzymes in fungicide resistance. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2000;1459:291-8 pubmed..On the basis of the above findings, a conceptual mitochondrial electron transfer chain is presented. Data are discussed in terms of developmental and environmental regulation of the composition of this chain. ..
- Ohgaki R, Nakamura N, Mitsui K, Kanazawa H. Characterization of the ion transport activity of the budding yeast Na+/H+ antiporter, Nha1p, using isolated secretory vesicles. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2005;1712:185-96 pubmed..The ion selectivity and the stoichiometry suggest a unique physiological role of Nha1p which is distinct from that of other known Na+/H+ antiporters. ..
- Ramon Garcia S, Martin C, Aínsa J, De Rossi E. Characterization of tetracycline resistance mediated by the efflux pump Tap from Mycobacterium fortuitum. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2006;57:252-9 pubmed..For all these studies, we produced Tap protein in Mycobacterium smegmatis...
- Barriere H, Bagdany M, Bossard F, Okiyoneda T, Wojewodka G, Gruenert D, et al. Revisiting the role of cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator and counterion permeability in the pH regulation of endocytic organelles. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:3125-41 pubmed publisher..These results have implications in the regulation of organelle acidification in general and demonstrate that perturbations of the endolysosomal organelles pH homeostasis cannot be linked to the etiology of the CF lung disease. ..
- David G, Barrett E. Stimulation-evoked increases in cytosolic [Ca(2+)] in mouse motor nerve terminals are limited by mitochondrial uptake and are temperature-dependent. J Neurosci. 2000;20:7290-6 pubmed..In contrast, the stimulation-induced increases in cytosolic [Ca(2+)] measured in lizard motor terminals showed little or no temperature-dependence over the range 18-33 degrees C. ..
- Koppers A, De Iuliis G, Finnie J, McLaughlin E, Aitken R. Significance of mitochondrial reactive oxygen species in the generation of oxidative stress in spermatozoa. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008;93:3199-207 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the sperm mitochondria make a significant contribution to the oxidative stress experienced by defective human spermatozoa. ..
- Usui M, Uchiyama M, Iwanaka M, Nagai H, Yamamoto Y, Asai T. Intracellular concentrations of enrofloxacin in quinolone-resistant Salmonella enterica subspecies enterica serovar Choleraesuis. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2009;34:592-5 pubmed publisher..The results presented suggest that a decrease in the intracellular concentration of enrofloxacin is related to active efflux pumps and contributes to the emergence of fluoroquinolone resistance. ..
- Li G, Vilcherrez D, Carvajal Arroyo J, Sierra Alvarez R, Field J. Exogenous nitrate attenuates nitrite toxicity to anaerobic ammonium oxidizing (anammox) bacteria. Chemosphere. 2016;144:2360-7 pubmed publisher..We suggest that anammox cells can use a secondary transport system facilitated by exogenous NO3(-) to alleviate NO2(-) toxicity. ..
- Bochkareva E, Girshovich A, Bibi E. Identification and characterization of the Escherichia coli stress protein UP12, a putative in vivo substrate of GroEL. Eur J Biochem. 2002;269:3032-40 pubmed..Therefore, we suggest that UP12 may function as a universal stress protein, interaction of which with GroEL possibly ensures its proper folding state. ..
- Moe M, Bains R, Vinje M, Larsen G, Kampenhaug E, Berg Johnsen J. Sevoflurane depolarizes pre-synaptic mitochondria in the central nervous system. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2004;48:562-8 pubmed..Sevoflurane depolarizes DeltaPsi(m) in rat synaptosomes, and the effect is not dependent on Ca(2+)-influx to the cytosol. Opening of mitoK(ATP) is partly responsible for the depolarizing effect of sevoflurane. ..
- Mozo J, Ferry G, Masscheleyn S, Miroux B, Boutin J, Bouillaud F. Assessment of a high-throughput screening methodology for the measurement of purified UCP1 uncoupling activity. Anal Biochem. 2006;351:201-6 pubmed..We then exemplified its use by generating primary data on a set of compounds screened in this system. These primary data will open new routes for the search of candidate compounds that will help biochemical studies on UCPs. ..
- Yang D, Kao L. Relative contribution of the Na(+)/Ca(2+) exchanger, mitochondria and endoplasmic reticulum in the regulation of cytosolic Ca(2+) and catecholamine secretion of bovine adrenal chromaffin cells. J Neurochem. 2001;76:210-6 pubmed..When Ca(2+) diffuses away from the exocytotic sites, the mitochondrial Ca(2+) uptake becomes the dominant mechanism. ..
- Ladyzhenskaya E, Korableva N. Interaction of jasmonic acid with abscisic acid and gibberelic acid in the regulation of ATP-dependent proton translocation in plasmalemma vesicles from potato tuber cells. Dokl Biol Sci. 2003;389:163-5 pubmed
- Bohnert J, Karamian B, Nikaido H. Optimized Nile Red efflux assay of AcrAB-TolC multidrug efflux system shows competition between substrates. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2010;54:3770-5 pubmed publisher..None of the other tested antimicrobials, including macrolides, fluoroquinolones, and beta-lactams, had any impact on Nile Red efflux, even at concentrations of up to 1 mM. ..
- Mlejnek P. Caspase-3 activity and carbonyl cyanide m-chlorophenylhydrazone-induced apoptosis in HL-60. Altern Lab Anim. 2001;29:243-9 pubmed..Therefore, it is likely that the choice between cell death modalities is not solely a matter of the caspase proteases present. ..
- Wang J, Lee K, Tang K, Lu T, Chang C, Chow C, et al. Effect of the neuroprotective agent riluzole on intracellular Ca2+ levels in IMR32 neuroblastoma cells. Arch Toxicol. 2001;75:214-20 pubmed
- Madej M, Müller F, Ploch J, Lancaster C. Limited reversibility of transmembrane proton transfer assisting transmembrane electron transfer in a dihaem-containing succinate:quinone oxidoreductase. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009;1787:593-600 pubmed publisher..However, here we show that the reverse reaction, the oxidation of succinate by quinone, as catalysed by W. succinogenes QFR, is not electroneutral. The implications for transmembrane proton transfer via the E-pathway are discussed. ..
- Poladian A, Kirakosian G, Trchunian A. [Growth and proton-potassium exchange in Enterococcus hirae: protonophore effect and the role of oxidation-reduction potential]. Biofizika. 2006;51:499-503 pubmed..Dithiothreiol is able to substitute the proton-motive force; however, ferricyanide and dithiothreitol may also directly affect the bacterial membrane. ..
- Kamishima T, Davies N, Standen N. Mechanisms that regulate [Ca2+]i following depolarization in rat systemic arterial smooth muscle cells. J Physiol. 2000;522 Pt 2:285-95 pubmed..The SR Ca2+ pump may contribute to Ca2+ removal over a low [Ca2+]i range in cells where [Ca2+]i remains high for long enough, while mitochondrial Ca2+ uptake may be important when [Ca2+]i is high. ..
- Zgódka D, Milewski S, Borowski E. A diffusible analogue of N(3)-(4-methoxyfumaroyl)-L-2,3-diaminopropanoic acid with antifungal activity. Microbiology. 2001;147:1955-9 pubmed..1 microg ml(-1), 10 microM). These results show that the 'pro-drug' approach can be successfully applied for the enhancement of antifungal activity of glutamine analogues that inhibit GlcN-6-P synthase. ..
- Vallot O, Combettes L, Lompre A. Functional coupling between the caffeine/ryanodine-sensitive Ca2+ store and mitochondria in rat aortic smooth muscle cells. Biochem J. 2001;357:363-71 pubmed..This latter pool is linked to mitochondria through the permeability transition pore and is refilled by both TG-sensitive and insensitive mechanisms. ..
- Cybulska B, Bolard J, Seksek O, Czerwinski A, Borowski E. Identification of the structural elements of amphotericin B and other polyene macrolide antibiotics of the hepteane group influencing the ionic selectivity of the permeability pathways formed in the red cell membrane. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1995;1240:167-78 pubmed..Carboxyl-substituted derivatives of aromatic heptaenes presenting a remarkably high selectivity for K+, had consequently a very poor hemolytic activity. ..
- Beauvoit B, Bunoust O, Guerin B, Rigoulet M. ATP-regulation of cytochrome oxidase in yeast mitochondria: role of subunit VIa. Eur J Biochem. 1999;263:118-27 pubmed..This study opens up new prospects for understanding the feedback regulation of the respiratory chain by ATP. ..
- Lloyd D, Harris J, Biagini G, Hughes M, Maroulis S, Bernard C, et al. The plasma membrane of microaerophilic protists: oxidative and nitrosative stress. Microbiology. 2004;150:1183-90 pubmed..Oxonol uptake thereby provides a sensitive and early indication of plasma-membrane perturbation by agents that may lead to cytotoxicity and eventually to cell death by necrotic or apoptotic pathways. ..
- Lo C, Leake M, Berry R. Fluorescence measurement of intracellular sodium concentration in single Escherichia coli cells. Biophys J. 2006;90:357-65 pubmed
- Jorge C, Fonseca L, Boos W, Santos H. Role of periplasmic trehalase in uptake of trehalose by the thermophilic bacterium Rhodothermus marinus. J Bacteriol. 2008;190:1871-8 pubmed publisher..Trehalose uptake was constitutive, but the activity decreased 60% in response to osmotic stress. The nature of the trehalose transporter and the physiological relevance of these findings are discussed...
- Farrelly E, Amaral M, Marshall L, Huang S. A high-throughput assay for mitochondrial membrane potential in permeabilized yeast cells. Anal Biochem. 2001;293:269-76 pubmed..The fluorescence intensity responded vigorously to specific modulators in UCP1-expressing cells. This method has been adapted as a high-throughput assay to screen for modulators of mitochondrial membrane potential. ..
- Jankowski A, Kim J, Collins R, Daneman R, Walton P, Grinstein S. In situ measurements of the pH of mammalian peroxisomes using the fluorescent protein pHluorin. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:48748-53 pubmed
- Popova I, Bodrova M, Mokhova E, Muntyan M. Uncoupling effect of fatty acids in halo- and alkalotolerant bacterium Bacillus pseudofirmus FTU. Biochemistry (Mosc). 2004;69:1165-9 pubmed..quot;Free respiration" induced by the "mild" uncouplers, the fatty acids, can be considered as possible mechanism responsible for adaptation of the bacteria to a constantly changed environment. ..
- Cha S, Park J, Kwak J, Kim H, Kim J, Lee K, et al. Attenuation of extracellular acidic pH-induced cyclooxygenase-2 expression by nitric oxide. Mol Cells. 2005;19:232-8 pubmed
- Hauser Gerspach I, de Freitas P, Dan Daniels A, Meyer J. Adhesion of Streptococcus sanguinis to glass surfaces measured by isothermal microcalorimetry (IMC). J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2008;85:42-9 pubmed
- Beeson C, Beeson G, Schnellmann R. A high-throughput respirometric assay for mitochondrial biogenesis and toxicity. Anal Biochem. 2010;404:75-81 pubmed publisher..The merger of the RPTC model and multiwell respirometry results in a single high-throughput assay to measure mitochondrial biogenesis and toxicity and nephrotoxic potential. ..
- Dahlseid J, Lill R, Green J, Xu X, Qiu Y, Pierce S. PBP74, a new member of the mammalian 70-kDa heat shock protein family, is a mitochondrial protein. Mol Biol Cell. 1994;5:1265-75 pubmed..Taken together, our data demonstrate that PBP74 is a mammalian mitochondrial hsp70. ..
- Agalakova N, Lapin A, Gusev G. Differential effects of glycolytic and oxidative metabolism blockers on the Na-K pump in erythrocytes of the frog, Rana temporaria. J Comp Physiol B. 1997;167:576-81 pubmed..These results indicate that about one-half of the Na(+)-K(+)-pump activity in frog erythrocytes is tightly functionally coupled to cytochromes via a separate "membrane-associated" ATP pool. ..
- Jan C, Wu S, Tseng C. The ether lipid ET-18-OCH3 increases cytosolic Ca2+ concentrations in Madin Darby canine kidney cells. Br J Pharmacol. 1999;127:1502-10 pubmed..Phospholipase D and phospholipase A2, but not phospholipase C, might be involved in mediating the capacitative Ca2+ entry. La3+ abolished the ET-18-OCH3-induced [Ca2+]i rise presumably by inhibiting PAF receptors...
- Cordano G, Pezoa J, Munoz S, Rivera E, Medina J, Núñez Vergara L, et al. Inhibitory effect of vanillin-like compounds on respiration and growth of adenocarcinoma TA3 and its multiresistant variant TA3-MTX-R. Eur J Pharm Sci. 2002;16:255-63 pubmed..These amine derivatives are better inhibitors than the corresponding imines; probably because they should interact better with the respiratory chain reaction site. ..
- Eldering E, Mackus W, Derks I, Evers L, Beuling E, Teeling P, et al. Apoptosis via the B cell antigen receptor requires Bax translocation and involves mitochondrial depolarization, cytochrome C release, and caspase-9 activation. Eur J Immunol. 2004;34:1950-60 pubmed..Instead, our data show for the first time that the BCR-signal causes Bax translocation, followed by mitochondrial depolarization, and cytC release. Subsequent caspase-9 activation can solely account for events further downstream. ..
- Gray M, Donato G, Jones F, Kim T, Hewlett E. Newly secreted adenylate cyclase toxin is responsible for intoxication of target cells by Bordetella pertussis. Mol Microbiol. 2004;53:1709-19 pubmed..These data establish that delivery of this toxin by intact B. pertussis is not dependent on the surface-associated AC toxin, but requires close association of live bacteria with target cells and the active secretion of AC toxin. ..
- Hemendinger R, Armstrong E, Persinski R, Todd J, Mougeot J, Volvovitz F, et al. Huperzine A provides neuroprotection against several cell death inducers using in vitro model systems of motor neuron cell death. Neurotox Res. 2008;13:49-61 pubmed..These studies are currently being extended to include other inducers and with additional compounds as potential drug therapies that could be used in combination for the treatment of patients with ALS. ..
- Ram n Garc a S, Mart n C, Thompson C, A nsa J. Role of the Mycobacterium tuberculosis P55 efflux pump in intrinsic drug resistance, oxidative stress responses, and growth. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2009;53:3675-82 pubmed publisher..Inhibitors of the P55 efflux pump could help to improve current treatments for tuberculosis...
- Haro R, Rodríguez Navarro A. Molecular analysis of the mechanism of potassium uptake through the TRK1 transporter of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2002;1564:114-22 pubmed..ScTRK1 mediates active K(+) uptake. This is not Na(+)-coupled and direct coupling of ScTRK1 to a source of chemical energy seems more probable than K(+)-H(+) cotransport. ..
- Allen R, Kirk K. The membrane potential of the intraerythrocytic malaria parasite Plasmodium falciparum. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:11264-72 pubmed..The current associated with the efflux of H(+) is countered, in part, by the influx of K(+) via Ba(2+)- and Cs(+)-sensitive K(+) channels in the parasite plasma membrane. ..
- Yang L, Jiang J, Zhang B, Zhao B, Wang L, Yang S. A primary sodium pump gene of the moderate halophile Halobacillus dabanensis exhibits secondary antiporter properties. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;346:612-7 pubmed..coli ANN0222 lacking NADH dehydrogenase. Based on these results, we proposed that Nap possessed both characteristics of secondary Na(+)/H(+) antiporter and primary sodium pump. ..
- Chan C, Zlomislic M, Tieleman D, Turner R. The TatA subunit of Escherichia coli twin-arginine translocase has an N-in topology. Biochemistry. 2007;46:7396-404 pubmed
- Sánchez N, Arreguin R, Calahorra M, Pena A. Effects of salts on aerobic metabolism of Debaryomyces hansenii. FEMS Yeast Res. 2008;8:1303-12 pubmed publisher..An activation of the glyoxylate cycle results from the salt stress, as well as an increased respiratory capacity, when cells are grown with salt, and a 'coupling' effect on respiration when incubated in the presence of salt. ..
- Augstein P, Heinke P, Schober C, Salzsieder E. Impact of cytokine- and FasL-induced apoptosis in the beta-cell line NIT-1. Horm Metab Res. 2009;41:207-12 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, cytokines account for the major part of cell death induced by the simultaneously action of FasL + IL-1beta/IFN-gamma. Caspases are of central importance for beta-cell death. ..
- Ardón F, Rodriguez Miranda E, Beltran C, Hernandez Cruz A, Darszon A. Mitochondrial inhibitors activate influx of external Ca(2+) in sea urchin sperm. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009;1787:15-24 pubmed publisher..As neither CCCP nor dicycloexyl carbodiimide (DCCD), another mitochondrial ATPase inhibitor, eliminate the oligomycin induced increase in [Ca(2+)](i), apparently oligomycin also has an extra mitochondrial target. ..
- Ramos D, Almeida da Silva P. Antimycobacterial activity of usnic acid against resistant and susceptible strains of Mycobacterium tuberculosis and non-tuberculous mycobacteria. Pharm Biol. 2010;48:260-3 pubmed publisher..Further, we did not identify any contribution of efflux in innate resistance to usnic acid. ..
- Vatassery G, Lai J, DeMaster E, Smith W, Quach H. Oxidation of vitamin E and vitamin C and inhibition of brain mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation by peroxynitrite. J Neurosci Res. 2004;75:845-53 pubmed
- Anderson D, Adhikari P, Nowalk A, Chen C, Mietzner T. The hFbpABC transporter from Haemophilus influenzae functions as a binding-protein-dependent ABC transporter with high specificity and affinity for ferric iron. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:6220-9 pubmed
- Varkey J, Nagaraj R. Antibacterial activity of human neutrophil defensin HNP-1 analogs without cysteines. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2005;49:4561-6 pubmed..The generation of defensins without cysteines would be easier than that of disulfide-linked defensins. Hence, linear defensins could have potential as therapeutic agents. ..
- Huang L, Sun L, Xu G, Xia T. Differential susceptibility to carbapenems due to the AdeABC efflux pump among nosocomial outbreak isolates of Acinetobacter baumannii in a Chinese hospital. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2008;62:326-32 pubmed publisher..baumannii in the SICU of our hospital. ..
- Tonkikh A, Carlen P. Impaired presynaptic cytosolic and mitochondrial calcium dynamics in aged compared to young adult hippocampal CA1 synapses ameliorated by calcium chelation. Neuroscience. 2009;159:1300-8 pubmed publisher..These results support the hypothesis that increasing intracellular calcium neuronal buffering in aged rats ameliorates age-related impaired presynaptic Ca regulation. ..
- Yang J, Gross R, Basinger S, Wu S. Apoptotic cell death of cultured salamander photoreceptors induced by cccp: CsA-insensitive mitochondrial permeability transition. J Cell Sci. 2001;114:1655-64 pubmed..This cell model provides an in vitro tool for studying mechanisms of photoreceptor apoptosis in isolated photoreceptors and may provide clues to the etiology of retinal degeneration. ..
- van Dongen J, Laan R, Wouterlood M, Borstlap A. Electrodiffusional uptake of organic cations by pea seed coats. Further evidence for poorly selective pores in the plasma membrane of seed coat parenchyma cells. Plant Physiol. 2001;126:1688-97 pubmed..This pore is thought to be responsible for the unloading of a range of solutes that serve as nutrients for the embryo. ..
- Lim M, Minamikawa T, Nagley P. The protonophore CCCP induces mitochondrial permeability transition without cytochrome c release in human osteosarcoma cells. FEBS Lett. 2001;503:69-74 pubmed..Our findings suggest that MPT is not a sufficient condition, in itself, to effect cytochrome c release. ..
- Soto I, Fontanesi F, Valledor M, Horn D, Singh R, Barrientos A. Synthesis of cytochrome c oxidase subunit 1 is translationally downregulated in the absence of functional F1F0-ATP synthase. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009;1793:1776-86 pubmed publisher..Our findings imply that fully assembled ATPase and its proton pumping function are both required for COX biogenesis in yeast and mammalian cells through a mechanism independent of Cox1p synthesis...
- Bravo C, Chavez E, Rodriguez J, Moreno Sanchez R. The mitochondrial membrane permeability transition induced by inorganic phosphate or inorganic arsenate. A comparative study. Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol. 1997;117:93-9 pubmed..The diminution of external pH did not inhibit the MPT induced by Pi or Asi. The results of this study suggest that the adenine nucleotide translocase does not have an essential role in the MPT induced by Asi+Ca2+...