Genomes and Genes
trimethyl ammonium compounds
Summary: QUATERNARY AMMONIUM COMPOUNDS containing three methyl groups, having the general formula of (CH3)3N+R.
- Patel K, Albrecht J, Owens E, Dev A, Heaton S, Pianko S, et al. The clinical utility of using Catrimox-14-treated whole blood in detecting hepatitis C virus RNA. Antivir Ther. 2005;10:535-41 pubmed..0 (+/- 0.82) vs 5.5 ((+/- 0.84), respectively, P = 0.12]. Catrimox-14-treated WB assays detect changes in HCV RNA, but do not offer clinical advantage over a conventional serum RT-PCR based assay. ..
- Torde R, Therrien A, Shortreed M, Smith L, Lamos S. Multiplexed analysis of cage and cage free chicken egg fatty acids using stable isotope labeling and mass spectrometry. Molecules. 2013;18:14977-88 pubmed publisher..This multiplexed fatty acid analysis provides an inexpensive and expedited tool for broad-based lipid profiling that will further aid discoveries in the mechanisms of fatty acid action in cells. ..
- Bernal V, Arense P, Blatz V, Mandrand Berthelot M, Canovas M, Iborra J. Role of betaine:CoA ligase (CaiC) in the activation of betaines and the transfer of coenzyme A in Escherichia coli. J Appl Microbiol. 2008;105:42-50 pubmed publisher..coli. A bacterial betaine:CoA ligase has been characterized for the first time, underlining its important role for the production of l-carnitine with Escherichia coli. ..
- Shahir A, Javadian S, Razavizadeh B, Gharibi H. Comprehensive study of tartrazine/cationic surfactant interaction. J Phys Chem B. 2011;115:14435-44 pubmed publisher..Cyclic voltammetry was applied successfully to track all of these species using tartrazine's own reduction peak current for the first time. ..
- Ahumada H, Montecinos R, Tieleman D, Weiss López B. Orientation and dynamics of benzyl alcohol and benzyl alkyl ethers dissolved in nematic lyotropic liquid crystals. 2H NMR and molecular dynamics simulations. J Phys Chem A. 2005;109:6644-51 pubmed..The simulation supports the existence of an H-bond between C0 and the solvent not found in the ethers, which should be responsible for the observed differences. ..
- Rasmussen C, Nielsen H, Andersen J. Analysis of the purity of cetrimide by titrations. PDA J Pharm Sci Technol. 2006;60:104-10 pubmed..The distribution coefficients between chloroform and water of cetrimide and the corresponding iodide species (TTAI) were thus determined as 2150 +/- 50 M(-1) and 68000 +/- 4000 M(-1), respectively. ..
- Lambert R, Johnston M. Disinfection kinetics: a new hypothesis and model for the tailing of log-survivor/time curves. J Appl Microbiol. 2000;88:907-13 pubmed..The model suggested that the reason for the observation of non-linear, log-survivor curves was due to the ability of the microbes, in clean, soil-free conditions, to intrinsically quench the bulk concentration of biocide. ..
- Rodriguez A, Munoz M, Graciani M, Moyá M. Kinetic micellar effects in tetradecyltrimethylammonium bromide-pentanol micellar solutions. J Colloid Interface Sci. 2002;248:455-61 pubmed..This acceleration can be explained considering that micelles accelerate the reactions in which the charge is delocalized in the transition state. ..
- Hilliard L, Osicka T, Clavant S, Robinson P, Nikolic Paterson D, Comper W. Characterization of the urinary albumin degradation pathway in the isolated perfused rat kidney. J Lab Clin Med. 2006;147:36-44 pubmed..This study demonstrates the existence of albumin peptides in IPK urine and suggests that receptor-mediated endocytosis plays a role in urinary albumin degradation. ..
- Delbos A, Pitois O. Foam invasion through a single pore. Phys Rev E Stat Nonlin Soft Matter Phys. 2011;84:011404 pubmed
- Boeris P, Liffourrena A, Salvano M, Lucchesi G. Physiological role of phosphatidylcholine in the Pseudomonas putida A ATCC 12633 response to tetradecyltrimethylammonium bromide and aluminium. Lett Appl Microbiol. 2009;49:491-6 pubmed publisher..putida. The changes in the PL of Ps. putida in the presence of TTAB and AlCl(3) indicate that different responses are utilized by bacteria to maintain optimal PL composition in the presence of such environmental pollutants. ..
- Sanchez L, Romero E, Peña A. Photostability of methidathion in wet soil amended with biosolid and a surfactant under solar irradiation. Chemosphere. 2005;59:969-76 pubmed..Photodegradation products (methidathion oxon GS 13007 and GS 12956) were not detected. ..
- Perger T, Bester Rogac M. Thermodynamics of micelle formation of alkyltrimethylammonium chlorides from high performance electric conductivity measurements. J Colloid Interface Sci. 2007;313:288-95 pubmed..The micellization process is more favourable for surfactants with longer alkyl chain length and larger (less hydrated) counterions. ..
- Holmberg K, Nydén M, Lee L, Malmsten M, Jha B. Interactions between a lipase and charged surfactants--a comparison between bulk and interfaces. Adv Colloid Interface Sci. 2000;88:223-41 pubmed..The difference in behavior of the system cationic surfactant-lipase in bulk and at the interfaces may be due to the change in enzyme conformation that is known to occur at interfaces between water and an apolar phase. ..
- Bhattacharya S, Haldar J. Thermodynamics of micellization of multiheaded single-chain cationic surfactants. Langmuir. 2004;20:7940-7 pubmed..These studies suggest that the micelles are more hydrated with multiheaded surfactants and the micropolarity of micelles increases with the increase in the number of headgroups. ..
- Takata Y, Shimatsu Y, Nagahashi T, Miyayama T, Hyono A, Ohshima H. Effect of ionic surfactants on ion vibration current and colloid vibration current. J Oleo Sci. 2010;59:401-6 pubmed..Employing the fluorocarbon surfactant, on the other hand, there appeared a fairly large change compared to the hydrocarbon surfactant. This implies that the density contrast between medium and micelle is significant for TVI. ..
- Clarke A, Petrou S, Walsh J, Singer J. Site of action of fatty acids and other charged lipids on BKCa channels from arterial smooth muscle cells. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2003;284:C607-19 pubmed..Some channel blockade effects of myr-KPRPK and KPRPK are also described. The sidedness of action suggests that modulation of channel activity by single-chain lipids can occur by their interaction with the channel protein. ..
- Franco I, Lorchat P, Lamps J, Schmutz M, Schroder A, Catala J, et al. From chain collapse to new structures: spectroscopic properties of poly(3-thiophene acetic acid) upon binding by alkyl trimethylammonium bromide surfactants. Langmuir. 2012;28:4815-28 pubmed publisher..Our results show that such features are well suited to design a colorimetric biosensor at small composition ratio, and a fluorescent biomarker at large composition ratio. ..
- Borissova M, Palk K, Koel M. Micellar electrophoresis using ionic liquids. J Chromatogr A. 2008;1183:192-5 pubmed publisher..The practical utilization of a new type of surfactant in MEKC was evaluated by introducing an ionic liquid into the running aqueous buffer to separate neutral analytes-methylresorcinol isomers and benzene derivatives. ..
- Grueso E, Sanchez F. DNA-surfactant interactions: a procedure for determination group contributions. J Phys Chem B. 2008;112:698-702 pubmed..The procedure used in this work could be extended to the measurement of other group/DNA interactions. ..
- Mahajan S, Sharma R, Mahajan R. An investigation of drug binding ability of a surface active ionic liquid: micellization, electrochemical, and spectroscopic studies. Langmuir. 2012;28:17238-46 pubmed publisher..1)H NMR studies along with the conductivity and surface tension measurements help in predicting the possible location of adsorption of these drug molecules in C(14)mimBr and TTAB micelles. ..
- Silva B, Marques E. Thermotropic behavior of asymmetric chain length catanionic surfactants: the influence of the polar head group. J Colloid Interface Sci. 2005;290:267-74 pubmed..Several liquid crystalline phases appear between the solid crystalline phase and the isotropic liquid phase. A qualitative correlation between the observed thermotropic behavior and the chemical nature of headgroup is presented. ..
- Sanchez L, Romero E, Sánchez Rasero F, Dios G, Peña A. Enhanced soil sorption of methidathion using sewage sludge and surfactants. Pest Manag Sci. 2003;59:857-64 pubmed..An anionic surfactant, linear alkylbenzene sulfonate, and the non-ionic Tween 80 only induced a slight modification in the kinetics and adsorption of methidathion. ..
- Gunasekara D, Hulvey M, Lunte S. In-channel amperometric detection for microchip electrophoresis using a wireless isolated potentiostat. Electrophoresis. 2011;32:832-7 pubmed publisher..The application of this microfluidic device for the separation and detection of biomarkers related to oxidative stress is described. ..
- Zhang J, Song A, Li Z, Xu G, Hao J. Phase behaviors and self-assembly properties of two catanionic surfactant systems: C(8)F(17)COOH/TTAOH/H(2)O and C(8)H(17)COOH/TTAOH/H(2)O. J Phys Chem B. 2010;114:13128-35 pubmed publisher..The fluorosurfactant systems prefer to form vesicle bilayers than the corresponding hydrocarbon ones because of the rigid structure, the stronger hydrophobicity, and the larger volume of fluorocarbon chains. ..
- Jiang Y, Lu X, Chen H, Mao S, Liu M, Luo P, et al. NMR study of the dynamics of cationic gemini surfactant 14-2-14 in mixed solutions with conventional surfactants. J Phys Chem B. 2009;113:8357-61 pubmed publisher..In contrast, the anionic surfactant SDS and the cationic surfactant TTAB slowed the process slightly. ..
- Vasicek L, Brodbelt J. Enhanced electron transfer dissociation through fixed charge derivatization of cysteines. Anal Chem. 2009;81:7876-84 pubmed publisher..In addition, the formation of product ions in multiple charge states upon ETD is minimized for the APTA-modified peptides. ..
- Tolentino A, Alla A, Martínez de Ilarduya A, Muñoz Guerra S. Comb-like ionic complexes of hyaluronic acid with alkyltrimethylammonium surfactants. Carbohydr Polym. 2013;92:691-6 pubmed publisher..In the solid state they self-assembled in a biphasic layered structure with the alkyl side chains forming a separate phase that melted in the 50-60 °C range. They were stable to heating up to above 200 °C. ..
- Montecinos R, Ahumada H, Araya Maturana R, Olea A, Weiss López B. Counterion and composition effects on discotic nematic lyotropic liquid crystals I. Size and order. J Colloid Interface Sci. 2007;316:126-31 pubmed..The TTAC aggregate should be more dissociated from counterions and the excess ammonium-ammonium electrostatic repulsions contribute to increase the mobility of the interface components. ..
- Becaud J, Mu L, Karramkam M, Schubiger P, Ametamey S, Graham K, et al. Direct one-step 18F-labeling of peptides via nucleophilic aromatic substitution. Bioconjug Chem. 2009;20:2254-61 pubmed publisher..The results of the one-step [18F]-fluorination of tetrapeptides and bombesin peptides show that the direct 18F-labeling of peptides is feasible under mild conditions and in good radiochemical yields. ..
- Lafitte G, Thuresson K, Soderman O. Diffusion of nutrients molecules and model drug carriers through mucin layer investigated by magnetic resonance imaging with chemical shift resolution. J Pharm Sci. 2007;96:258-63 pubmed..It favors the disintegration of mixed micelles of nonionic and cationic surfactants by stopping the diffusion of cationic surfactants with slightly affecting the diffusion of the nonionic surfactants. ..
- Zhou Q, Wang K, Loo L. Synthesis of novel hybrid films of a layered silicate and alkylammonium cations on rough polymeric surfaces by Langmuir-Blodgett method. J Colloid Interface Sci. 2009;340:249-53 pubmed publisher..6nm. Furthermore, the layered silicate was determined to be on the substrate side and the amphiphilic molecule layer was exposed to the air side. This provides a novel methodology for the surface modification of polymers. ..
- Li H, Hao J, Wu Z. Phase behavior and properties of reverse vesicles in salt-free catanionic surfactant mixtures. J Phys Chem B. 2008;112:3705-10 pubmed publisher..They can trap inorganic ions such as Zn2+ and S2- into their hydrophilic layers. This opens the door for template applications of reverse vesicles to prepare inorganic nanoparticles. ..
- Sevilla A, Schmid J, Mauch K, Iborra J, Reuss M, Canovas M. Model of central and trimethylammonium metabolism for optimizing L-carnitine production by E. coli. Metab Eng. 2005;7:401-25 pubmed..To improve the biotransformation process, resting processes as well as CaiT or ProU knock out mutants would yield a more efficient system for producing L-carnitine from crotonobetaine or D-carnitine. ..
- Trabelsi S, Albouy P, Impéror Clerc M, Guillot S, Langevin D. X-ray diffraction study of the structure of carboxymethylcellulose-cationic surfactant complexes. Chemphyschem. 2007;8:2379-85 pubmed..Furthermore, the structure of the bulk complexes formed just below the precipitation threshold anticipates the structure seen in the precipitated phases. ..
- Xu W, Choi I, Plamper F, Synatschke C, Müller A, Tsukruk V. Nondestructive light-initiated tuning of layer-by-layer microcapsule permeability. ACS Nano. 2013;7:598-613 pubmed publisher..Remarkably, unlike the current mostly destructive approaches, the light-induced changes in microcapsule permeability are completely reversible and can be used for light-mediated loading/unloading control of microcapsules. ..
- Glusac K, Goun A, Fayer M. Photoinduced electron transfer and geminate recombination in the group head region of micelles. J Chem Phys. 2006;125:054712 pubmed..The theory includes important aspects of the topology of the micelle and the diffusion of the donor-acceptors in the micelle head group region. A semiquantitative but nonquantitative agreement between theory and experiments is achieved. ..
- Sanchez L, Romero E, Castillo A, Pena A. Field study of methidathion in soil amended with biosolid and a cationic surfactant under different irrigation regimes. Solute transport modeling. Chemosphere. 2006;63:616-25 pubmed..Otherwise, the lack of fit between the soil water data were attributed to the ceramic devices employed, that could suffer an "ageing process" which would cause bias in the determinations. ..
- Li H, Jia X, Li Y, Shi X, Hao J. A salt-free zero-charged aqueous onion-phase enhances the solubility of fullerene C60 in water. J Phys Chem B. 2006;110:68-74 pubmed..Hopefully, our method can also be extended to solubilize functionalized carbon nanotubes in aqueous solutions. ..
- Martens S, Marta R, Martens J, McMahon T. Tridentate ionic hydrogen-bonding interactions of the 5-fluorocytosine cationic dimer and other 5-fluorocytosine analogues characterized by IRMPD spectroscopy and electronic structure calculations. J Phys Chem A. 2011;115:9837-44 pubmed publisher..Comparison of the calculated relative Gibbs free energies (298 K) for this species and several of the other isomers considered also supports the likelihood of the dominant protonated dimer existing as Cationic-IV. ..
- Liffourrena A, Lopez F, Salvano M, Domenech C, Lucchesi G. Degradation of tetradecyltrimethylammonium by Pseudomonas putida A ATCC 12633 restricted by accumulation of trimethylamine is alleviated by addition of Al 3+ ions. J Appl Microbiol. 2008;104:396-402 pubmed..This effect was alleviated by the addition of AlCl(3). The use of Lewis' acids to sequester intracellular amines offers an alternative to achieve an efficient utilization of TDTMA by Ps. putida. ..
- Suzuki H, Li L, Nakaji Hirabayashi T, Kitano H, Ohno K, Matsuoka K, et al. Carboxymethylbetaine copolymer layer covalently fixed to a glass substrate. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces. 2012;94:107-13 pubmed publisher..The usefulness of the combination of zwitterionic polymer layer and graft chains to afford anti-biofouling properties to a solid surface of metal oxides was shown. ..
- Lin W, Licht S. Polymer-based open-channel blockers for the acetylcholine receptor: the effect of spacer length on blockade kinetics. Biochemistry. 2008;47:9163-73 pubmed publisher..These results provide useful insights into the future design of kinetically tunable open-channel blockers for the AChR. ..
- Ali M, Gull N, Khan J, Aswal V, Khan R, Kabir Ud Din -. Unfolding of rabbit serum albumin by cationic surfactants: surface tensiometry, small-angle neutron scattering, intrinsic fluorescence, resonance Rayleigh scattering and circular dichroism studies. J Colloid Interface Sci. 2010;352:436-43 pubmed publisher..The Rayleigh scattering study shows that TTAB was more skilled to solubilize the serum albumin and may be more convenient than CTAB to isolate proteins from inclusion bodies. ..
- Wang J, Chen Y, Ge X, Yu H. Gamma radiation-induced grafting of a cationic monomer onto chitosan as a flocculant. Chemosphere. 2007;66:1752-7 pubmed..The flocculation capacities of the grafted copolymer were evaluated with 0.25% (w/v) kaolin suspensions using the standard jar test. The results demonstrate the superiority of the grafted copolymer over chitosan as a flocculant. ..
- Ismail Z, Tezel U, Pavlostathis S. Sorption of quaternary ammonium compounds to municipal sludge. Water Res. 2010;44:2303-13 pubmed publisher..Given the fact that approximately 50% of the municipal biosolids are land-applied in the US, the data of this study would help in the assessment of the fate of QACs and their potential effect on human and environmental health. ..
- Tayyari F, Gowda G, Gu H, Raftery D. 15N-cholamine--a smart isotope tag for combining NMR- and MS-based metabolite profiling. Anal Chem. 2013;85:8715-21 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates a unique approach to exploit the combined strength of MS and NMR in the field of metabolomics. ..