Genomes and Genes
Summary: An amidinopenicillanic acid derivative with broad spectrum antibacterial action.
- de Pedro M, Donachie W, Holtje J, Schwarz H. Constitutive septal murein synthesis in Escherichia coli with impaired activity of the morphogenetic proteins RodA and penicillin-binding protein 2. J Bacteriol. 2001;183:4115-26 pubmed..V. Höltje, and H. Schwarz, J. Bacteriol. 179:2823-2834, 1997). Inactivation of these proteins either by amdinocillin treatment or by mutations in the corresponding genes, pbpA and rodA, respectively, leads to the generation of ..
- Pas E, Einav M, Woldringh C, Zaritsky A. Perpendicular planes of FtsZ arcs in spheroidal Escherichia coli cells. Biochimie. 2001;83:121-4 pubmed..J. Bacteriol. 176 (1994) 6030-6038) that nucleoids, forced during replication to segregate in the length axis of the cell by the rigid bacillary envelope, induce assembly of FtsZ to division rings in between them. ..
- Ekwall E, Svenungsson B. Pivampicillin/pivmecillinam in the treatment of shigella carriers. Scand J Infect Dis. 1990;22:623-4 pubmed..It is concluded that pivampicillin/pivmecillinam is effective for patients excreting shigella bacteria. ..
- Storey C, Chopra I. Affinities of beta-lactams for penicillin binding proteins of Chlamydia trachomatis and their antichlamydial activities. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2001;45:303-5 pubmed..1 microg/ml) and minimum bactericidal concentration (0.25 microg/ml). Although the other beta-lactams inhibited a wider range of PBPs than mecillinam, their antichlamydial activities were inferior to that of mecillinam. ..
- Dosogne H, Hoeben D, Burvenich C, Lohuis J. Effect of cephapirin and mecillinam on the phagocytic and respiratory burst activity of neutrophil leukocytes isolated from bovine blood. J Vet Pharmacol Ther. 1998;21:421-7 pubmed..Inhibitory effects of cephapirin were stronger than mecillinam. In conclusion, cephapirin and mecillinam did not seem to affect antibacterial activity of PMN isolated from bovine blood in vitro at therapeutic concentrations. ..
- Zhanel G, Karlowsky J, Schwartz B, Jensen S, Hoban D. Mecillinam activity compared to ampicillin, trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole, ciprofloxacin and nitrofurantoin against urinary tract isolates of gram-negative bacilli. Chemotherapy. 1998;44:391-6 pubmed..9% of ampicillin-resistant E. coli and 95.9% of trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole-resistant E. coli. We conclude that mecillinam should be reevaluated for potential use in the treatment of community-acquired urinary tract infections. ..
- Canepari P, Signoretto C, Boaretti M, Lleo M. Cell elongation and septation are two mutually exclusive processes in Escherichia coli. Arch Microbiol. 1997;168:152-9 pubmed
- Vinella D, Joseleau Petit D, Thevenet D, Bouloc P, D Ari R. Penicillin-binding protein 2 inactivation in Escherichia coli results in cell division inhibition, which is relieved by FtsZ overexpression. J Bacteriol. 1993;175:6704-10 pubmedAminoacyl-tRNA synthetase mutants of Escherichia coli are resistant to amdinocillin (mecillinam), a beta-lactam antibiotic which specifically binds penicillin-binding protein 2 (PBP2) and prevents cell wall elongation with concomitant ..
- Gratia J. Effects of Ca2+ ions on survival, growth, and cell size in Serratia marcescens SMG40 exposed to mecillinam. Arch Physiol Biochem. 1998;105:347-57 pubmed..A physiological activity of calcium is suggested for this bacterial strain, resulting in a RodA-like mecillinam resistant phenotype. ..
- Poulsen H, Johansson A, Granholm S, Kahlmeter G, Sundqvist M. High genetic diversity of nitrofurantoin- or mecillinam-resistant Escherichia coli indicates low propensity for clonal spread. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2013;68:1974-7 pubmed publisher..coli genetic diversity spectrum with little association of antibiotic resistance to specific clonal groups. The results of this study indicate a low probability of a future clonal spread of resistance to mecillinam and nitrofurantoin. ..
- Satta G, Cornaglia G, Canepari P, Pompei R. Evaluation of bactericidal activity of cefotaxime and other beta-lactams by a novel method. Drugs. 1988;35 Suppl 2:35-40 pubmed
- Jernelius H, Zbornik J, Bauer C. One or three weeks' treatment of acute pyelonephritis? A double-blind comparison, using a fixed combination of pivampicillin plus pivmecillinam. Acta Med Scand. 1988;223:469-77 pubmed..Three weeks' treatment is effective in uncomplicated cases, but even longer treatment or low-dose prophylaxis is indicated in certain patients with predisposing factors. ..
- Antón D. Induction of the cysteine regulon of Salmonella typhimurium in LB medium affects the response of cysB mutants to mecillinam. Curr Microbiol. 2000;40:72-7 pubmed..The behavior of cysB mutants agrees with the hypothesis that, under some conditions, mecillinam action would be dependent on expression of the cysteine regulon. ..
- D Ari R, Jaffe A, Bouloc P, Robin A. Cyclic AMP and cell division in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1988;170:65-70 pubmed
- Walberg M, Gaustad P, Steen H. Rapid flow cytometric assessment of mecillinam and ampicillin bacterial susceptibility. J Antimicrob Chemother. 1996;37:1063-75 pubmed
- Wootton M, Walsh T, Macfarlane L, Howe R. Activity of mecillinam against Escherichia coli resistant to third-generation cephalosporins. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2010;65:79-81 pubmed publisher..coli exhibiting beta-lactamase activity, some with the production of multiple beta-lactamases. It is time to further evaluate the clinical utility of mecillinam in the treatment of infections caused by such organisms. ..
- Lilic M, Jovanovic M, Jovanovic G, Savic D. Identification of the CysB-regulated gene, hslJ, related to the Escherichia coli novobiocin resistance phenotype. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2003;224:239-46 pubmed..Finally, we found that inactivation of hslJ does not affect the increased resistance to mecillinam in cysB mutants. ..
- Vinella D, D Ari R. Thermoinducible filamentation in Escherichia coli due to an altered RNA polymerase beta subunit is suppressed by high levels of ppGpp. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:966-72 pubmed..We propose that the rpoB369(Fts) mutation alters the specificity of the polymerase and that the mutant enzyme can recover normal activity in the presence of high salt concentrations or via interaction with the nucleotide ppGpp. ..
- Costa C, Pettinari M, Méndez B, Antón D. Null mutations in the essential gene yrfF (mucM) are not lethal in rcsB, yojN or rcsC strains of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2003;222:25-32 pubmed..Thus, the lethal effect caused by inactivation of gene yrfF appears to be mediated by a function that is dependent on the rcsC-yojN-rcsB phosphorelay system but does not involve synthesis of colanic acid. ..
- Sternon J. [New drugs]. Rev Med Brux. 2001;22:A394-400 pubmed..Presentation of six drugs: clopidogrel, raloxifene, mecillinam, natiglinide and repaglinide, pneumococcal conjugate vaccine. For each, positive and negative arguments, questions on hold and rating. ..
- Hanberger H, Nilsson L, Maller R, Nilsson M. Pharmacodynamics of beta-lactam antibiotics on gram-negative bacteria: initial killing, morphology and postantibiotic effect. Scand J Infect Dis Suppl. 1990;74:118-23 pubmed..In contrast, aztreonam and piperacillin produced a short (less than or equal to 1 h) PAE. This was seen concomitantly with the production of filaments and weak initial killing. ..
- Mortimer O, Wiholm B. Oesophageal injury associated with pivmecillinam tablets. Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 1989;37:605-7 pubmed..Further galenical development of the tablets and better patient information should reduce the number of patients injured. ..
- Sougakoff W, Jarlier V. Comparative potency of mecillinam and other beta-lactam antibiotics against Escherichia coli strains producing different beta-lactamases. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2000;46 Suppl 1:9-14; discussion 63-5 pubmed
- Licht J, Gally D, Henderson T, Young K, Cooper S. Effect of mecillinam on peptidoglycan synthesis during the division cycle of Salmonella typhimurium 2616. Res Microbiol. 1993;144:423-33 pubmed..Other antibiotics added at equivalent activities did not show an increase in cross-linking. ..
- Stewart J, Riley D, Lang S, Morris A. Mecillinam susceptibility of Auckland urinary isolates. N Z Med J. 2002;115:57 pubmed
- Cronberg S, Banke S, Bruno A, Carlsson M, Elmrud H, Elowsson S, et al. Ampicillin plus mecillinam vs. cefotaxime/cefadroxil treatment of patients with severe pneumonia or pyelonephritis: a double-blind multicentre study evaluated by intention-to-treat analysis. Scand J Infect Dis. 1995;27:463-8 pubmed..Epigastric complaints were equally frequent in both groups, but there was a tendency for a higher frequency of exanthema in the A+M group, and for antibiotic-associated diarrhoea and fungal superinfections in the cephalosporin group. ..
- Zhanel G, Karlowsky J, Harding G, Carrie A, Mazzulli T, Low D, et al. A Canadian national surveillance study of urinary tract isolates from outpatients: comparison of the activities of trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, ampicillin, mecillinam, nitrofurantoin, and ciprofloxacin. The Canadian Urinary Isolate Study Group. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2000;44:1089-92 pubmed..0, 18.9, 7.4, 0.1, and 1.2%, respectively. The majority of E. coli isolates resistant to ampicillin, trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, or ciprofloxacin were susceptible (MIC, <16 microg/ml) to mecillinam. ..
- Raponi G, Keller N, Rozenberg Arska M, Hoepelman I, Verhoef J. The influence of cefepime on opsonophagocytosis of bacteria. Drugs Exp Clin Res. 1989;15:141-4 pubmed..coli was compared to that of two other beta-lactam antibiotics, mecillinam and ceftriaxone. Exposure of E. coli to sub-MICs of mecillinam and ceftriaxone enhanced phagocytosis by PMNs. ..
- Jonsson M, Englund G, Norgard K. Norfloxacin vs. pivmecillinam in the treatment of uncomplicated lower urinary tract infections in hospitalized elderly patients. Scand J Infect Dis. 1990;22:339-44 pubmed..5% of the 96 patients in the pivmecillinam group (p less than 0.001). Adverse drug reactions, mostly gastrointestinal disturbances, were noticed in single cases. ..
- Kahlmeter G, Ã…hman J, Matuschek E. Antimicrobial Resistance of Escherichia coli Causing Uncomplicated Urinary Tract Infections: A European Update for 2014 and Comparison with 2000 and 2008. Infect Dis Ther. 2015;4:417-23 pubmed publisher..urinary tract infections (UTIs) in France, Germany, Spain, Sweden, and the United Kingdom (UK) to mecillinam [amdinocillin (United States Adopted Name)], amoxicillin-clavulanic acid, cefadroxil, nitrofurantoin, ciprofloxacin, and ..
- Canepari P, Di Stefano C, Lleo M, Satta G. Peptidoglycan synthesis and its fine chemical composition in dividing and not dividing Klebsiella pneumoniae cocci. New Microbiol. 1993;16:165-70 pubmed..These results confirm our previous claim that septum formation and lateral wall elongation are mutually exclusive in normal rods and that septum formation requires the synthesis of a peptidoglycan of different chemical composition. ..
- de Pedro M, Grünfelder C, Schwarz H. Restricted Mobility of Cell Surface Proteins in the Polar Regions of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:2594-602 pubmed..Our results indicate that the mobility of at least some cell envelope proteins is restrained at regions in correspondence with underlying areas of inert murein. ..
- Nachamkin I, Gibson G, Sawyer K, Samel C, Skalina D. In vitro activity of amdinocillin in combination with other beta-lactam antibiotics against aminoglycoside-susceptible and resistant gram-negative bacteria. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 1988;9:87-96 pubmedb>Amdinocillin alone and in combination with other beta-lactam antibiotics was tested for in vitro activity against aminoglycoside-susceptible and resistant gram-negative bacteria...
- Li X. [Chemosensitivity of MGc 80-3 human gastric adenocarcinoma cells and its clinical significance]. Zhonghua Zhong Liu Za Zhi. 1989;11:332-4 pubmed..This cell line could be useful in screening for new compounds with activity against this disease. ..
- Maioli E, Debbia E, Gualco L, Marchese A. In vitro interaction between mecillinam and piperacillin-tazobactam in the presence of azithromycin against members of the Enterobacteriaceae family and Pseudomonas aeruginosa. New Microbiol. 2008;31:37-46 pubmed..Only systematic in vivo studies may establish the clinical significance and benefits of the present observations. ..
- Iwai N, Nagai K, Wachi M. Novel S-benzylisothiourea compound that induces spherical cells in Escherichia coli probably by acting on a rod-shape-determining protein(s) other than penicillin-binding protein 2. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2002;66:2658-62 pubmed..These results suggest that the target molecule(s) of A22 was not penicillin-binding protein 2. A22 may act on a rod-shape-determining protein(s) other than penicillin-binding protein 2, such as RodA or MreB. ..
- See W, Taylor T, Mack L, Tartaglione T, Opheim K, Berger R. Bacterial epididymitis in the rat: a model for assessing the impact of acute inflammation on epididymal antibiotic penetration. J Urol. 1990;144:780-4 pubmed..Serum and epididymal drug concentrations were assayed following a single dose of the antibiotic amdinocillin. Fifteen minutes following the peak serum level, the drug concentration in infected epididymis was 2...
- Whelton A, Spilman P, Stout R, Delgado F. The influence of renal functional changes on the intrarenal distribution and urinary kinetics of amdinocillin. Ren Fail. 1987;10:101-6 pubmed..of acid-base balance upon the intrarenal distribution and urinary clearance of the semisynthetic penicillin amdinocillin. Renal physiologic activity significantly modulates the intrarenal distribution pattern of this compound...
- Eng R, Liu R, Smith S, Johnson E, Cherubin C. Amdinocillin: interaction with other beta-lactam antibiotics for gram-negative bacteria. Chemotherapy. 1988;34:18-26 pubmedb>Amdinocillin was studied alone and in combination with three other beta-lactam antibiotics (aztreonam, cefoperazone, and ceftriaxone) for activity against gram-negative bacilli...
- Pettersson B, Tiselius H. Are prophylactic antibiotics necessary during extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy?. Br J Urol. 1989;63:449-52 pubmed..All patients had a bladder catheter during ESWL. It was concluded that prophylactic treatment with antibiotics during ESWL treatment is unnecessary in all situations where an infectious aetiology is unlikely...
- Vinella D, Albrecht C, Cashel M, D Ari R. Iron limitation induces SpoT-dependent accumulation of ppGpp in Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 2005;56:958-70 pubmed
- Prosser B, Taylor D, Dix B, Cleeland R. Method of evaluating effects of antibiotics on bacterial biofilm. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1987;31:1502-6 pubmed..g., 8 and 24 h). Viable bacterial counts decreased from 10(3) to 10(4) CFU/cm2 in 24 h with 400 micrograms of amdinocillin or cefamandole per ml...
- Tamaki S, Matsuzawa H, Matsuhashi M. Cluster of mrdA and mrdB genes responsible for the rod shape and mecillinam sensitivity of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1980;141:52-7 pubmed..P1 transduction suggested that the most plausible gene order is leuS-mrdA-mrdB-lip. The rodA mutation reported previously seems to be similar to the mrdB murations, but the identities of the two have not yet been proven. ..
- Wachi M, Doi M, Okada Y, Matsuhashi M. New mre genes mreC and mreD, responsible for formation of the rod shape of Escherichia coli cells. J Bacteriol. 1989;171:6511-6 pubmed..In vitro, the coding frames of mreC and mreD produced proteins with Mrs of 40,000 and 15,000, respectively, as judged by sodium dodecyl sulfate-polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis. ..
- Svenungsson B, Ekwall E, Hansson H. Efficacy of the combination pivampicillin/pivmecillinam compared to placebo in the treatment of convalescent carriers of nontyphi Salmonella. Infection. 1990;18:163-5 pubmed..No abnormalities could be found in those patients who did not respond to therapy except for earlier cholecystectomy in two patients, both in the pivampicillin/pivmecillinam group. ..
- Ogura T, Bouloc P, Niki H, D Ari R, Hiraga S, Jaffe A. Penicillin-binding protein 2 is essential in wild-type Escherichia coli but not in lov or cya mutants. J Bacteriol. 1989;171:3025-30 pubmed..In a cya mutant lacking PBP2, the restoration of a Cya+ phenotype by addition of cyclic AMP caused lethality and a block in cell division. These results show that in wild-type cells, PBP2 is essential for growth and division. ..
- Kerrn M, Struve C, Blom J, Frimodt Møller N, Krogfelt K. Intracellular persistence of Escherichia coli in urinary bladders from mecillinam-treated mice. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2005;55:383-6 pubmed..This is the first in vivo study indicating that during mecillinam treatment E. coli cells can penetrate the mouse bladder epithelium and persist. ..
- Hanberger H, Nilsson L, Svensson E, Maller R. Synergic post-antibiotic effect of mecillinam, in combination with other beta-lactam antibiotics in relation to morphology and initial killing. J Antimicrob Chemother. 1991;28:523-32 pubmed
- Neela F, Nonaka L, Suzuki S. The diversity of multi-drug resistance profiles in tetracycline-resistant Vibrio species isolated from coastal sediments and seawater. J Microbiol. 2007;45:64-8 pubmed..In addition, the cross-resistance patterns suggested that the resistance determinants among Vibrio spp. are acquired differently within the sediment and seawater environments. ..
- Gant V, Warnes G, Phillips I, Savidge G. The application of flow cytometry to the study of bacterial responses to antibiotics. J Med Microbiol. 1993;39:147-54 pubmed..The FACScan is a useful and sensitive tool for the study of the morphology and physiology of bacterial populations in suspension, and is especially applicable to the study of antibiotic action. ..
- Costa C, Antón D. Round-cell mutants of Salmonella typhimurium produced by transposition mutagenesis: lethality of rodA and mre mutations. Mol Gen Genet. 1993;236:387-94 pubmed
- Seitz L, Brun Y. Genetic analysis of mecillinam-resistant mutants of Caulobacter crescentus deficient in stalk biosynthesis. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:5235-9 pubmed..We describe two mutations that confer resistance to mecillinam and that prevent stalk elongation. These mutations are probably allelic, and they map to a locus previously not associated with stalk synthesis. ..
- Bouloc P, Jaffe A, D Ari R. The Escherichia coli lov gene product connects peptidoglycan synthesis, ribosomes and growth rate. EMBO J. 1989;8:317-23 pubmed