Genomes and Genes
Summary: A sphingosine-derivative and IMMUNOSUPPRESSIVE AGENT that blocks the migration and homing of LYMPHOCYTES to the CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM through its action on SPHINGOSINE 1-PHOSPHATE RECEPTORS. It is used in the treatment of MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS.
- Izquierdo G, Damas F, Páramo M, Ruiz Peña J, Navarro G. The real-world effectiveness and safety of fingolimod in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis patients: An observational study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176174 pubmed publisher..The real-world fingolimod benefits observed in this study seem to be similar than those observed in previous clinical trials. ..
- González Suárez I, Rodriguez de Antonio L, Orviz A, Moreno García S, Valle Arcos M, Matias Guiu J, et al. Catastrophic outcome of patients with a rebound after Natalizumab treatment discontinuation. Brain Behav. 2017;7:e00671 pubmed publisher..A very careful evaluation of benefit-risk should be considered before NTZ withdrawal, and a close monitoring and a short washout period is recommended after drug withdrawal. ..
- Gusman D, Shoemake C. Evaluation and Optimization of in silico designed Sphingosine-1-Phosphate (S1P) Receptor Subtype 1 Modulators for the Management of Multiple Sclerosis. Yale J Biol Med. 2017;90:15-23 pubmed..A rigorous selection process identified two molecules, Molecules 003 and 019, deriving from fingolimod and amiselimod, respectively, which were deemed most suitable for further optimization. ..
- Paroni M, Maltese V, De Simone M, Ranzani V, Larghi P, Fenoglio C, et al. Recognition of viral and self-antigens by TH1 and TH1/TH17 central memory cells in patients with multiple sclerosis reveals distinct roles in immune surveillance and relapses. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2017;140:797-808 pubmed publisher..Thus the selective targeting of TH1/TH17 cells could inhibit relapses without causing John Cunningham virus-dependent progressive multifocal encephalomyelitis. ..
- Lindsey J, Haden Pinneri K, Memon N, Buja L. Sudden unexpected death on fingolimod. Mult Scler. 2012;18:1507-8 pubmed
- Ordoñez Boschetti L, Rey R, Cruz A, Sinha A, Reynolds T, Frider N, et al. Safety and Tolerability of Fingolimod in Latin American Patients with Relapsing-Remitting Multiple Sclerosis: The Open-Label FIRST LATAM Study. Adv Ther. 2015;32:626-35 pubmed publisher..5 mg was well tolerated in RRMS patients from Latin America. The overall safety profile was clinically manageable and consistent with previous fingolimod studies. Novartis. ClinicalTrials.gov #NCT01497262. ..
- Rumah K, Vartanian T, Fischetti V. Oral Multiple Sclerosis Drugs Inhibit the In vitro Growth of Epsilon Toxin Producing Gut Bacterium, Clostridium perfringens. Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 2017;7:11 pubmed publisher..Moreover, inhibition of C. perfringens growth and resulting blockade of epsilon toxin production may contribute to the clinical efficacy of these disease-modifying drugs. ..
- ..It is the first oral disease-modifying drug for the treatment of patients with multiple sclerosis. Here we assess the place of this drug. ..
- Teo T, Chan Y, Lee W, Lum F, Amrun S, Her Z, et al. Fingolimod treatment abrogates chikungunya virus-induced arthralgia. Sci Transl Med. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..These results set the stage for further clinical evaluation of fingolimod in the treatment of CHIKV-induced joint pathologies. ..
- Alsop J, Medin J, Cornelissen C, Vormfelde S, Ziemssen T. Two studies in one: A propensity-score-matched comparison of fingolimod versus interferons and glatiramer acetate using real-world data from the independent German studies, PANGAEA and PEARL. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0173353 pubmed publisher..2% vs 15.2%; worsening: 16.4% vs 30.4%; p < 0.0001). Fingolimod appears to be more effective than BRACE in improving clinical and physician-/patient-reported outcomes in individuals with active MS. ..
- Velmurugan B, Lee C, Chiang S, Hua C, Chen M, Lin S, et al. PP2A deactivation is a common event in oral cancer and reactivation by FTY720 shows promising therapeutic potential. J Cell Physiol. 2018;233:1300-1311 pubmed publisher..All our results suggest that PP2A is frequently deactivated in oral cancer and determines poor outcome, restoring its expression by FTY720 can be an alternative therapeutic approach in OSCC. ..
- King A, Houlihan D, Kavanagh D, Haldar D, Luu N, Owen A, et al. Sphingosine-1-Phosphate Prevents Egress of Hematopoietic Stem Cells From Liver to Reduce Fibrosis. Gastroenterology. 2017;153:233-248.e16 pubmed publisher..Strategies to reduce SIP signaling and increase retention of HSCs in the liver could increase their antifibrotic activities and be developed for treatment of patients with liver fibrosis. ..
- Janes K, Little J, Li C, Bryant L, Chen C, Chen Z, et al. The development and maintenance of paclitaxel-induced neuropathic pain require activation of the sphingosine 1-phosphate receptor subtype 1. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:21082-97 pubmed