Genomes and Genes
Summary: A broad class of substances containing carbon and its derivatives. Many of these chemicals will frequently contain hydrogen with or without oxygen, nitrogen, sulfur, phosphorus, and other elements. They exist in either carbon chain or carbon ring form.
- Witt G, Lang S, Ullmann D, Schaffrath G, Schulz Bull D, Mayer P. Passive equilibrium sampler for in situ measurements of freely dissolved concentrations of hydrophobic organic chemicals in sediments. Environ Sci Technol. 2013;47:7830-9 pubmed publisher..an equilibrium passive sampling device is introduced that facilitates the in situ measurement of hydrophobic organic chemicals bioavailability in sediments in terms of freely dissolved concentrations...
- Kosters A, Tian F, Wan Y, Wan Y, Karpen S. Gene-specific alterations of hepatic gene expression by ligand activation or hepatocyte-selective inhibition of retinoid X receptor-? signalling during inflammation. Liver Int. 2012;32:321-30 pubmed publisher..Inflammation-mediated reduction of nuclear RXR? levels is a main factor in reduced nuclear receptor (NR)-regulated hepatic gene expression, eventually leading to cholestasis and liver damage...
- Pirovano A, Brandmaier S, Huijbregts M, Ragas A, Veltman K, Hendriks A. QSARs for estimating intrinsic hepatic clearance of organic chemicals in humans. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol. 2016;42:190-7 pubmed publisher..Particularly for hepatocytes the QSAR statistics are encouraging, allowing application of the outcomes in in vitro to in vivo extrapolation. ..
- Shan L, Fan H, Guo H, Ji S, Zhang G. Natural organic matter fouling behaviors on superwetting nanofiltration membranes. Water Res. 2016;93:121-132 pubmed publisher..With a combination of superhydrophilic and superhydrophobic membranes, the NOM rejection (RUV254) and DOC removal rates (RDOC) could be increased to 83.6% and 73.3%, respectively. ..
- GroÃŸeheilmann J, Vanderveen J, Jessop P, Kragl U. Switchable-Hydrophilicity Solvents for Product Isolation and Catalyst Recycling in Organocatalysis. ChemSusChem. 2016;9:696-702 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we optimized the extraction efficiency by working with a microextractor. In addition, with the use of a falling-film microreactor, we obtained the product with high enantioselectivity by working at ambient conditions. ..
- Hayashida M, Jindalertudomdee J, Zhao Y, Akutsu T. Parallelization of enumerating tree-like chemical compounds by breadth-first search order. BMC Med Genomics. 2015;8 Suppl 2:S15 pubmed publisher..For many instances, our previously proposed algorithms were able to enumerate chemical structures faster than other existing methods. ..
- Govarthanan M, Selvankumar T, Manoharan K, Rathika R, Shanthi K, Lee K, et al. Biosynthesis and characterization of silver nanoparticles using panchakavya, an Indian traditional farming formulating agent. Int J Nanomedicine. 2014;9:1593-9 pubmed publisher..The synthesized AgNPs (1-4 mM) extensively reduced the growth rate of antibiotic resistant bacteria such as Aeromonas sp., Acinetobacter sp., and Citrobacter sp., according to the increasing concentration of AgNPs. ..
- Agudo R, Calvo P, Martinez Jimenez M, Blanco L. Engineering human PrimPol into an efficient RNA-dependent-DNA primase/polymerase. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:9046-9058 pubmed publisher..Finally, in support of the biotechnological potential of PrimPol as a DNA primer maker during reverse transcription, mutant Y89R HsPrimPol rendered up to 17-fold more DNA than with random hexamer primers. ..
- Arp H, Brown T, Berger U, Hale S. Ranking REACH registered neutral, ionizable and ionic organic chemicals based on their aquatic persistency and mobility. Environ Sci Process Impacts. 2017;19:939-955 pubmed publisher..This identification and ranking procedure for PMOCs can be part of a strategy to better identify contaminants that pose a threat to drinking water sources. ..
- Rasamimanana S, Lefevre G, Dagnelie R. Adsorption of polar organic molecules on sediments: Case-study on Callovian-Oxfordian claystone. Chemosphere. 2017;181:296-303 pubmed publisher..The oxides/clays contents may be relevant regarding polar molecules, log (apparentPow)<-1. The proposed scheme offers a general methodology for investigation of geo-barriers towards heterogeneous organic plumes. ..
- Terzopoulou E, Voutsa D. Study of persistent toxic pollutants in a river basin-ecotoxicological risk assessment. Ecotoxicology. 2017;26:625-638 pubmed publisher..Performing risk assessment based on passive sampling, more information was obtained about temporal and spatial variation. SPMDs could be applied as a pre-evaluation before chemical monitoring in biota. ..
- Biruk L, Moretton J, Fabrizio de Iorio A, Weigandt C, Etcheverry J, Filippetto J, et al. Toxicity and genotoxicity assessment in sediments from the Matanza-Riachuelo river basin (Argentina) under the influence of heavy metals and organic contaminants. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2017;135:302-311 pubmed publisher..cepa. This study showed that the implementation of different extraction methods together with a battery of bioassays could be suitable tools for detecting toxicity and genotoxicity in sediment samples. ..
- Angenent L, Richter H, Buckel W, Spirito C, Steinbusch K, Plugge C, et al. Chain Elongation with Reactor Microbiomes: Open-Culture Biotechnology To Produce Biochemicals. Environ Sci Technol. 2016;50:2796-810 pubmed publisher..Finally, we ended with an outlook. ..
- Ding H, Chen C, Zhang X. Linear solvation energy relationship for the adsorption of synthetic organic compounds on single-walled carbon nanotubes in water. SAR QSAR Environ Res. 2016;27:31-45 pubmed publisher..The equilibrium concentration would affect the fitness and predictive ability of the model, while the coefficients varied slightly. ..
- Desmet G, Pepermans V, Broeckhoven K, Blumberg L. Optimal mixing rate in reverse phase liquid chromatography. Experimental evaluations. J Chromatogr A. 2017;1513:84-92 pubmed publisher..Experimental evidence is also provided to explain why earlier published less accurate equations for peak capacity and analysis time are not suitable for theoretical prediction of R?,Opt. ..
- RiaÃ±o I, DÃaz E, Uria U, Reyes E, Carrillo L, Vicario J. Organocatalytic enantio- and diastereoselective synthesis of 3,5-disubstituted prolines. Chem Commun (Camb). 2016;52:2330-3 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, these adducts could be easily transformed into N-protected disubstituted prolines through the base-promoted diastereoselective C â†’ N alkoxycarbonyl transfer reaction. ..
- Sonne C, Gustavson K, Eulaers I, Desforges J, Letcher R, RigÃ©t F, et al. Risk evaluation of the Arctic environmental POP exposure based on critical body residue and critical daily dose using captive Greenland sledge dogs (Canis familiaris) as surrogate species. Environ Int. 2016;88:221-227 pubmed publisher..We recommend that PBPK modelled (CBR) and RQBR should be used in the assessment of POP exposure and health effects in Arctic top predators. ..
- Chon K, Lee K, Kim I, Jang A. Performance assessment of a submerged membrane bioreactor using a novel microbial consortium. Bioresour Technol. 2016;210:2-10 pubmed publisher..14) was much slower and less significant than that observed in CMBR (TMP/TMP0: 2.61). These observations imply that the novel microbial consortium can efficiently mitigate membrane fouling by hydrophilic DOM in MBR processes. ..
- Baz Lomba J, Harman C, Reid M, Thomas K. Passive sampling of wastewater as a tool for the long-term monitoring of community exposure: Illicit and prescription drug trends as a proof of concept. Water Res. 2017;121:221-230 pubmed publisher..POCIS is demonstrated to be a valuable and reliable tool for the long-term monitoring of certain drugs and pharmaceuticals within a defined population. ..
- CorrÃªa A, Cotelle S, Millet M, Somensi C, Wagner T, Radetski C. Genotoxicity assessment of particulate matter emitted from heavy-duty diesel-powered vehicles using the in vivo Vicia faba L. micronucleus test. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2016;127:199-204 pubmed publisher..which are commonly used in mutagenicity studies), the Vicia micronucleus test was demonstrated to be appropriate for complementing prokaryotic or in vitro tests on diesel exhaust particulate matter included in risk assessments. ..
- Liu K, Gao Y, Liu J, Wen Y, Zhao Y, Zhang K, et al. Photoreactivity of Metal-Organic Frameworks in Aqueous Solutions: Metal Dependence of Reactive Oxygen Species Production. Environ Sci Technol. 2016;50:3634-40 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the photogeneration of ROS by MOFs may be metal-node dependent, and the application of MIL-53s as drug carriers needs to be carefully considered due to their high photoreactivity. ..
- Taudte R, Roux C, Blanes L, Horder M, Kirkbride K, Beavis A. The development and comparison of collection techniques for inorganic and organic gunshot residues. Anal Bioanal Chem. 2016;408:2567-76 pubmed publisher..The most suitable protocol for combined collection and analysis of IGSR and OGSR involved collection using GSR stubs followed by SEM-EDX analysis and liquid extraction using acetone followed by analysis with UHPLC. ..
- Ma T, Wang M, Gong S, Tian B. Impacts of Sediment Organic Matter Content and pH on Ecotoxicity of Coexposure of TiO2 Nanoparticles and Cadmium to Freshwater Snails Bellamya aeruginosa. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol. 2017;72:153-165 pubmed publisher..Additionally, it should be noted that the potential ecological risk of co-exposure of NPs and coexisting pollutants might be closely species-specific and related to environmental media. ..
- Freitas J, Perestrelo R, Cassaca R, Castillo M, Santos M, Pereira J, et al. A fast and environment-friendly MEPSPEP/UHPLC-PDA methodology to assess 3-hydroxy-4,5-dimethyl-2(5H)-furanone in fortified wines. Food Chem. 2017;214:686-693 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, as far we may know, this is the first time a single methodology can be used to assess both wine aging or premox according to the type of wine. ..
- Woo Y, Lee J, Shim W, Shon H, Tijing L, Yao M, et al. Effect of powdered activated carbon on integrated submerged membrane bioreactor-nanofiltration process for wastewater reclamation. Bioresour Technol. 2016;210:18-25 pubmed publisher..The present results suggest that the addition of PAC in integrated SMBR-NF process could possibly lead to satisfying water quality and can be operated for a long-term duration. ..
- Kamjunke N, von Tümpling W, Hertkorn N, Harir M, Schmitt Kopplin P, Norf H, et al. A new approach for evaluating transformations of dissolved organic matter (DOM) via high-resolution mass spectrometry and relating it to bacterial activity. Water Res. 2017;123:513-523 pubmed publisher..Overall, the approach provided new insights into the transformation of specific molecular DOM components. ..
- Apell J, Tcaciuc A, Gschwend P. Understanding the rates of nonpolar organic chemical accumulation into passive samplers deployed in the environment: Guidance for passive sampler deployments. Integr Environ Assess Manag. 2016;12:486-92 pubmed publisher..Guidance is also given on how to use the timescales to select an appropriate polymer, deployment time, and suite of performance reference compounds. Integr Environ Assess Manag 2016;12:486-492. © 2015 SETAC. ..
- Cai L, Chen T, Gao D, Yu J. Bacterial communities and their association with the bio-drying ofÂ sewage sludge. Water Res. 2016;90:44-51 pubmed publisher..These results implied that the elevated temperature reshaped the bacterial communities, which played a key role in water evaporation, and the high temperature also contributed to the effective elimination of pathogens. ..
- Li W, Jin J, Li Q, Wu C, Lu H, Zhou Q, et al. Developing LED UV fluorescence sensors for online monitoring DOM and predicting DBPs formation potential during water treatment. Water Res. 2016;93:1-9 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that the LED UV fluorescence sensors are very promising for online monitoring DOM and predicting DBPs formation potential during water treatment. ..
- Noman M, Desantis G, Janji B, Hasmim M, Karray S, Dessen P, et al. PD-L1 is a novel direct target of HIF-1?, and its blockade under hypoxia enhanced MDSC-mediated T cell activation. J Exp Med. 2014;211:781-90 pubmed publisher..Simultaneous blockade of PD-L1 along with inhibition of HIF-1? may thus represent a novel approach for cancer immunotherapy. ..
- Ben Bacha A, Moubayed N, Al Assaf A. An organic solvent-stable lipase from a newly isolated Staphylococcus aureus ALA1 strain with potential for use as an industrial biocatalyst. Biotechnol Appl Biochem. 2016;63:378-90 pubmed publisher..S. aureus ALA1 lipase could be considered as an ideal choice for applications in detergent formulations because of its high stability and compatibility with various surfactants, oxidizing agents, and commercial detergents. ..
- Kamyabi M, Aghaei A. Electromembrane extraction and spectrophotometric determination of As(V) in water samples. Food Chem. 2016;212:65-71 pubmed publisher..5ngmL(-1). The proposed method was finally applied to the determination of As(V) in water samples and relative recoveries ranging from 95 to 102% were obtained. ..
- Yang J, Kemps Mols B, Spruyt Gerritse M, Anholts J, Claas F, Eikmans M. The source of SYBR green master mix determines outcome of nucleic acid amplification reactions. BMC Res Notes. 2016;9:292 pubmed publisher..For HRM assays, it is advisable to use master mix from a relatively large vendor. ..
- Hüffer T, Hofmann T. Sorption of non-polar organic compounds by micro-sized plastic particles in aqueous solution. Environ Pollut. 2016;214:194-201 pubmed publisher..A strong relationship between the sorption coefficients of the microplastics and the hydrophobicity of the sorbates suggests that hydrophobic interactions are of major importance. ..
- Zhou X, Naik S, Dakhova O, Dotti G, Heslop H, Brenner M. Serial Activation of the Inducible Caspase 9 Safety Switch After Human Stem Cell Transplantation. Mol Ther. 2016;24:823-31 pubmed publisher..These data support the safety and efficiency of repeated CID treatments for persistent or recurring toxicity from T-cell therapies. ..
- Aumont B, Camredon M, Mouchel Vallon C, La S, Ouzebidour F, Valorso R, et al. Modeling the influence of alkane molecular structure on secondary organic aerosol formation. Faraday Discuss. 2013;165:105-22 pubmed..On a carbon basis, the OOA yields never exceeded 10% regardless of carbon chain length, molecular structure or ageing time. This version of the model appears clearly unable to explain a large production of OOA from alkane precursors...
- Giri S, Reddy G, Jena P. Organo-Zintl Clusters [P7R4]: A New Class of Superalkalis. J Phys Chem Lett. 2016;7:800-5 pubmed publisher..This opens the door to the design and synthesis of a new class of superalkali moieties apart from the traditional ones composed of only inorganic elements. ..
- Kim P, Roh J, Hong Y, Kwon J. Effects of soil water saturation on sampling equilibrium and kinetics of selected polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. Chemosphere. 2017;184:86-92 pubmed publisherPassive sampling can be applied for measuring the freely dissolved concentration of hydrophobic organic chemicals (HOCs) in soil pore water...
- Logue J, Stedmon C, Kellerman A, Nielsen N, Andersson A, Laudon H, et al. Experimental insights into the importance of aquatic bacterial community composition to the degradation of dissolved organic matter. ISME J. 2016;10:533-45 pubmed publisher..Applying techniques that capture the diversity and complexity of both bacterial communities and DOM, our study provides new insight into how the structure of bacterial communities may affect processes of biogeochemical significance. ..
- Torondel B, Ensink J, Gundogdu O, Ijaz U, Parkhill J, Abdelahi F, et al. Assessment of the influence of intrinsic environmental and geographical factors on the bacterial ecology of pit latrines. Microb Biotechnol. 2016;9:209-23 pubmed publisher..As such, it provides useful baseline information for future studies that aim to understand the factors that affect decomposition rates in pit latrines. ..
- Mater G, Paris C, Lavoue J. Descriptive analysis and comparison of two French occupational exposure databases: COLCHIC and SCOLA. Am J Ind Med. 2016;59:379-91 pubmed publisher..Several countries have built databases of occupational hygiene measurements. In France, COLCHIC and SCOLA co-exist, started in 1987 and 2007, respectively...
- Long A, Fawcett J, Clyburne J, Pye C. RADMAP: Simple probes for rapid assessment of complex reactivity: A method and case studies on the reaction of hydrogen atoms with unsaturated organic molecules. J Mol Graph Model. 2016;64:147-152 pubmed publisher..The program presents a way to quickly predict the number of signals anticipated in transverse field muon spin resonance spectra as well as their relative intensities. ..