Genomes and Genes
transurethral resection of prostate
Summary: Removal of all or part of the PROSTATE, often using a cystoscope and/or resectoscope passed through the URETHRA.
- Mamoulakis C, Efthimiou I, Kazoulis S, Christoulakis I, Sofras F. The modified Clavien classification system: a standardized platform for reporting complications in transurethral resection of the prostate. World J Urol. 2011;29:205-10 pubmed publisher..It may serve as a standardized platform of communication among clinicians allowing for sound comparisons. ..
- Capitanio U. Contemporary management of patients with T1a and T1b prostate cancer. Curr Opin Urol. 2011;21:252-6 pubmed publisher..Further studies focusing on biologic and clinical markers of progression are mandatory to identify those patients who require active treatment after incidental PCa diagnosis. ..
- Rajab R, Fisher G, Kattan M, Foster C, Møller H, Oliver T, et al. An improved prognostic model for stage T1a and T1b prostate cancer by assessments of cancer extent. Mod Pathol. 2011;24:58-63 pubmed publisher..Staging by a four-group subdivision would substantially improve prognostication in patients with early stage disease and also may help to refine management decisions in patients who would do well with conservative treatments. ..
- Ahyai S, Gilling P, Kaplan S, Kuntz R, Madersbacher S, Montorsi F, et al. Meta-analysis of functional outcomes and complications following transurethral procedures for lower urinary tract symptoms resulting from benign prostatic enlargement. Eur Urol. 2010;58:384-97 pubmed publisher..Current results from randomised controlled trials (RCT) and methodologically sound prospective studies suggest that some of the proposed procedures have the potential to replace TURP...
- Simforoosh N, Abdi H, Kashi A, Zare S, Tabibi A, Danesh A, et al. Open prostatectomy versus transurethral resection of the prostate, where are we standing in the new era? A randomized controlled trial. Urol J. 2010;7:262-9 pubmed..Higher peak flow rate improvement, better quality of life, less frequent dysuria, less need to re-operation, and its ease of learning make open prostatectomy a suitable option to be discussed in patients parallel to TURP. ..
- Ozden C, Gunay I, Deren T, Bulut S, Ozdal O, Koparal S, et al. Effect of transurethral resection of prostate on prostatic resistive index. Urol Int. 2010;84:191-3 pubmed publisher..7 +/- 5.7, p < 0.05). Our data demonstrated that prostatic RI of the patients with BPH significantly decreased after TUR-P. We believe that prostatic RI could be a useful parameter for the follow-up of patients who underwent TUR-P. ..
- Chen Q, Zhang L, Fan Q, Zhou J, Peng Y, Wang Z. Bipolar transurethral resection in saline vs traditional monopolar resection of the prostate: results of a randomized trial with a 2-year follow-up. BJU Int. 2010;106:1339-43 pubmed publisher..Bipolar TURIS seems to be a safe and effective procedure, which is associated with significantly less fluid absorption and similar efficacy as traditional monopolar TURP. ..
- Gupta N, Singh P, Nayyar R. Outcomes of robot-assisted radical prostatectomy in men with previous transurethral resection of prostate. BJU Int. 2011;108:1501-5 pubmed publisher..outcomes of robot-assisted radical prostatectomy (RARP) in patients with and without previous transurethral resection of prostate (TURP)...
- Glazener C, Boachie C, Buckley B, Cochran C, Dorey G, Grant A, et al. Urinary incontinence in men after formal one-to-one pelvic-floor muscle training following radical prostatectomy or transurethral resection of the prostate (MAPS): two parallel randomised controlled trials. Lancet. 2011;378:328-37 pubmed publisher..Men are often advised to do pelvic-floor exercises, but evidence to support this is inconclusive. Our aim was to establish if formal one-to-one pelvic floor muscle training reduces incontinence...
- Cuzick J, Berney D, Fisher G, Mesher D, Møller H, Reid J, et al. Prognostic value of a cell cycle progression signature for prostate cancer death in a conservatively managed needle biopsy cohort. Br J Cancer. 2012;106:1095-9 pubmed publisher..For conservatively managed patients, the CCP score is the strongest independent predictor of cancer death outcome yet described and may prove valuable in managing clinically localised prostate cancer. ..
- Zhu G, Xie C, Wang X, Tang X. Bipolar plasmakinetic transurethral resection of prostate in 132 consecutive patients with large gland: three-year follow-up results. Urology. 2012;79:397-402 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the PK-TURP technique could play an important role in the surgical treatment of patients with symptomatic benign prostatic hyperplasia with a large prostate gland. ..
- Muslumanoglu A, Yuruk E, Binbay M, Akman T. Transurethral resection of prostate with plasmakinetic energy: 100 months results of a prospective randomized trial. BJU Int. 2012;110:546-9 pubmed publisher..Level of Evidence 1b. What's known on the subject? and What does the study add? Standard monopolar transurethral resection of prostate (TURP) remains the gold standard surgical treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia-related lower ..
- Chen C, Chiang P, Chuang Y, Lee W, Chen Y, Lee W. Preliminary results of prostate vaporization in the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia by using a 200-W high-intensity diode laser. Urology. 2010;75:658-63 pubmed publisher..However, the postoperative irritative symptoms and sloughing of necrotic tissues remained to be an important issue that needed to be resolved. ..
- Bishop P. Bipolar transurethral resection of the prostate--a new approach. AORN J. 2003;77:979-83 pubmed..A new technology uses bipolar electrosurgery, which creates less risk of electrical shock, and saline irrigation, which eliminates the risk for TUR syndrome. ..
- Rassweiler J, Schulze M, Stock C, Teber D, de la Rosette J. Bipolar transurethral resection of the prostate--technical modifications and early clinical experience. Minim Invasive Ther Allied Technol. 2007;16:11-21 pubmed..e. tissue charring), cheaper irrigation solution, and a shorter catheter time. In addition to already existing phase III-studies, larger randomized mulit-institutional trials will have to substantiate these advantages. ..
- Cimentepe E, Unsal A, Saglam R. Randomized clinical trial comparing transurethral needle ablation with transurethral resection of the prostate for the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia: results at 18 months. J Endourol. 2003;17:103-7 pubmed..It should be considered as an alternative treatment option for younger patients who want to preserve sexual function. ..
- Erturhan S, Erbagci A, Seckiner I, Yagci F, Ustun A. Plasmakinetic resection of the prostate versus standard transurethral resection of the prostate: a prospective randomized trial with 1-year follow-up. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2007;10:97-100 pubmed..It has the advantages of low intraoperative and post-operative complications, short convalescence, excellent intraoperative hemostasis, absence of fluid absorption and TUR syndrome. ..
- Dunsmuir W, McFarlane J, Tan A, Dowling C, Downie J, Kourambas J, et al. Gyrus bipolar electrovaporization vs transurethral resection of the prostate: a randomized prospective single-blind trial with 1 y follow-up. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2003;6:182-6 pubmed..Clot evacuation rates were higher in the TURP group (19% vs 0%). The Gyrus device is safe and produces results that are similar to TURP at 1 y. ..
- Brunken C, Qiu H, Tauber R. [Transurethral resection of bladder tumours in sodium chloride solution]. Urologe A. 2004;43:1101-5 pubmed..Quantity and quality of thermal changes in histology are not different from a conventionally resected control group. ..
- Ahmed H, Thwaini A, Shergill I, Hammadeh M, Arya M, Kaisary A. Greenlight prostatectomy: a challenge to the gold standard? A review of KTP photoselective vaporization of the prostate. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech. 2007;17:156-63 pubmed..This review looks at what makes the traditional transurethral resection of prostate the gold standard and provides the evidence on the evolution of the laser prostatectomy in trying ..
- Agrawal M, Aron M, Goel R. Hemiresection of the prostate: short-term randomized comparison with standard transurethral resection. J Endourol. 2005;19:868-72 pubmed..It is an acceptable surgical option in medically compromised patients with significant cardiac, pulmonary, or renal comorbidity. ..
- Bouchier Hayes D, Anderson P, Van Appledorn S, Bugeja P, Costello A. KTP laser versus transurethral resection: early results of a randomized trial. J Endourol. 2006;20:580-5 pubmed..Long-term follow- up is being undertaken to assess the durability of these results. ..
- O Sullivan M, Murphy C, Deasy C, Iohom G, Kiely E, Shorten G. Effects of transurethral resection of prostate on the quality of life of patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia. J Am Coll Surg. 2004;198:394-403 pubmedThis article investigated the effects of transurethral resection of prostate on quality of life (QOL) and urinary symptoms in patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)...
- Bhansali M, Patankar S, Dobhada S, Khaladkar S. Management of large (>60 g) prostate gland: PlasmaKinetic Superpulse (bipolar) versus conventional (monopolar) transurethral resection of the prostate. J Endourol. 2009;23:141-5 pubmed publisher..It has all the features of gold-standard monopolar TURP, along with added safety and efficacy. It is ready to be included in the urologist's armamentarium. ..
- Mamoulakis C, Trompetter M, de la Rosette J. Bipolar transurethral resection of the prostate: the 'golden standard' reclaims its leading position. Curr Opin Urol. 2009;19:26-32 pubmed publisher..The evidence derived from randomized clinical trials does not support a statistically significant incidence of urethral strictures with bipolar compared with monopolar current. ..
- Alexeyev O, Bergh J, Marklund I, Thellenberg Karlsson C, Wiklund F, Gronberg H, et al. Association between the presence of bacterial 16S RNA in prostate specimens taken during transurethral resection of prostate and subsequent risk of prostate cancer (Sweden). Cancer Causes Control. 2006;17:1127-33 pubmed..17, 95% CI 0.77-6.95). This study has revealed P. acnes as the most common bacteria in the prostate in BPH. Further studies are needed to clarify its role in contributing to the development of prostatic inflammation and prostate cancer. ..
- Jones J, Follis H, Johnson J. Probability of finding T1a and T1b (incidental) prostate cancer during TURP has decreased in the PSA era. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2009;12:57-60 pubmed publisher..Comparison was made of transurethral resection of prostate (TURP) cohorts in the pre-PSA era (1986-1987) and the PSA era (1994-2000), excluding patients with ..
- Mamoulakis C, Ubbink D, de la Rosette J. Bipolar versus monopolar transurethral resection of the prostate: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Eur Urol. 2009;56:798-809 pubmed publisher..Well-designed multicentric/international RCTs with long-term follow-up and cost analysis are still needed. ..
- Fujimoto K, Hosokawa Y, Tomioka A, Yamamoto H, Tanaka Y, Otani T, et al. Variations of transition zone volume and transition zone index after transurethral needle ablation for symptomatic benign prostatic hyperplasia. Int J Urol. 2003;10:392-7 pubmed..Moreover, a slow and lasting decrease in TZI seemed to influence durability of the therapeutic efficacy of TUNA, which was clearly observed in 'severe' cases with a larger prostatic volume than in 'moderate' cases. ..
- Minardi D, Galosi A, Yehia M, Cristalli A, Hanitzsch H, Polito M, et al. Transurethral resection versus minimally invasive treatments of benign prostatic hyperplasia: results of treatments. Our experience. Arch Ital Urol Androl. 2004;76:11-8 pubmed..It is therefore evident that the choice of each method should be performed in consideration of patients' general performance status, of symptoms and of indications and contraindications of each method. ..
- Okeke L. Day case transurethral prostatectomy in Nigeria. West Afr J Med. 2004;23:128-30 pubmed
- Al Singary W, Arya M, Patel H. Bladder neck stenosis after transurethral resection of prostate: does size matter?. Urol Int. 2004;73:262-5 pubmed..Thus, small prostates should be managed by an initial bladder neck incision, even if the bladder neck is not high. ..
- Yoon C, Kim J, Moon K, Jung H, Park T. Transurethral resection of the prostate with a bipolar tissue management system compared to conventional monopolar resectoscope: one-year outcome. Yonsei Med J. 2006;47:715-20 pubmed..Bipolar TURP is a promising new technique that may prove to be a good alternative to conventional TURP in the future. ..
- Källström R, Hjertberg H, Kjölhede H, Svanvik J. Use of a virtual reality, real-time, simulation model for the training of urologists in transurethral resection of the prostate. Scand J Urol Nephrol. 2005;39:313-20 pubmed..A basic construct validity test showed improved performance after repeated practice in the simulated environment. ..
- Iihoshi M, Sakuragi T, Higa K, Hamada T. [Severe hyponatremia during transurethral resection of prostate]. Masui. 2005;54:414-7 pubmed..Twenty-eight hours after the operation, serum sodium level was 132 mEq x l(-1). Postoperative neurological deficit did not occur. ..
- DiSantostefano R, Biddle A, Lavelle J. The long-term cost effectiveness of treatments for benign prostatic hyperplasia. Pharmacoeconomics. 2006;24:171-91 pubmed..TUMT was promising for patients with moderate symptoms and the oldest patients with severe symptoms, but otherwise was dominated. Value of information analysis could be used to determine the net benefit of additional research. ..
- Martino P, Palazzo S, Battaglia M, Lucarelli G, Selvaggi F. Incidental prostatic cancer: repeat TURP or biopsy?. Urol Int. 2004;73:193-7 pubmed..We present a review article on the diagnosis of residual neoplasia following transurethral resection of the prostate. ..
- Lim K, Wong M, Foo K. Transurethral resection of prostate (TURP) through the decades--a comparison of results over the last thirty years in a single institution in Asia. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2004;33:775-9 pubmedThis study was conducted to evaluate the results and complications of transurethral resection of prostate (TURP) over the last 30 years in our institution...
- Zlotta A, Giannakopoulos X, Maehlum O, Ostrem T, Schulman C. Long-term evaluation of transurethral needle ablation of the prostate (TUNA) for treatment of symptomatic benign prostatic hyperplasia: clinical outcome up to five years from three centers. Eur Urol. 2003;44:89-93 pubmed..TUNA treatment stands the test of time at 5-year follow-up with low and acceptable failure rates. More than 75% of the patients do not need additional treatment for BPH on the long run. ..
- Braun M, Mathers M, Bondarenko B, Engelmann U. Treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia through transurethral needle ablation (TUNA). Review of the literature and six years of clinical experience. Urol Int. 2004;72:32-9 pubmed..The lack of long-term data has often been criticized. This review presents an overview of clinical outcomes of TUNA, long-term results and patient selection criteria. ..
- Shishido T, Enomoto K, Fujita N, Suzuki A, Hayashi K, Nomura M, et al. [Comparison of clinical results between TUR-P and holmium laser enucleation of the prostate (HoLEP) based on the initial experience]. Nihon Hinyokika Gakkai Zasshi. 2008;99:543-50 pubmed..HoLEP may be a good alternative to the conventional transurethral electrocautery resection of the prostate for symptomatic BPH. ..
- Starkman J, Santucci R. Comparison of bipolar transurethral resection of the prostate with standard transurethral prostatectomy: shorter stay, earlier catheter removal and fewer complications. BJU Int. 2005;95:69-71 pubmed..The shorter stay after Gyrus TURP can result in cost savings of up to $1200/patient/day at our institution. ..
- Karaman M, Kaya C, Ozturk M, Gurdal M, Kirecci S, Pirincci N. Comparison of transurethral vaporization using PlasmaKinetic energy and transurethral resection of prostate: 1-year follow-up. J Endourol. 2005;19:734-7 pubmed..the efficacy and safety of PlasmaKinetic vaporization of prostate (PKVP) relative to standard transurethral resection of prostate (TURP) in the surgical management of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)...
- De Sio M, Autorino R, Quarto G, Damiano R, Perdonà S, Di Lorenzo G, et al. Gyrus bipolar versus standard monopolar transurethral resection of the prostate: a randomized prospective trial. Urology. 2006;67:69-72 pubmed..The resection time and blood loss were similar between the two groups, but the need for continuous bladder irrigation after surgery and time to catheter removal and hospital discharge were significantly shorter in the PK group. ..
- Fagerström T, Nyman C, Hahn R. Bipolar transurethral resection of the prostate causes less bleeding than the monopolar technique: a single-centre randomized trial of 202 patients. BJU Int. 2010;105:1560-4 pubmed publisher..Bipolar TURP also required fewer erythrocyte transfusions than the conventional monopolar technique. ..
- Yang S, Lin W, Chang H, Hsu J, Lin W, Chow Y, et al. Gyrus plasmasect: is it better than monopolar transurethral resection of prostate?. Urol Int. 2004;73:258-61 pubmed..study was conducted to compare the efficacy and safety of the Gyrus Plasmasect loop bipolar transurethral resection of prostate (TURP) and conventional monopolar TURP in the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)...
- Wei J, Calhoun E, Jacobsen S. Urologic diseases in America project: benign prostatic hyperplasia. J Urol. 2005;173:1256-61 pubmed
- Finley D, Beck S, Szabo R. Bipolar saline TURP for large prostate glands. ScientificWorldJournal. 2007;7:1558-62 pubmed..75 and 0.25, respectively. Bipolar TURP is a feasible alternative to simple open prostatectomy in high-risk patients with massive prostate adenomas. Prostate volume is reduced by approximately 10% due to vaporization. ..
- Zigeuner R, Lipsky K, Riedler I, Auprich M, Schips L, Salfellner M, et al. Did the rate of incidental prostate cancer change in the era of PSA testing? A retrospective study of 1127 patients. Urology. 2003;62:451-5 pubmed
- Hawary A, Mukhtar K, Sinclair A, Pearce I. Transurethral resection of the prostate syndrome: almost gone but not forgotten. J Endourol. 2009;23:2013-20 pubmed publisher..reviewed from inception to April 2009 for the keywords TUR (P), TUR (P) syndrome, and transurethral resection of prostate. There was no language restriction for our search...
- Sharma D. The management of benign prostatic obstruction: a voice from the Third World. BJU Int. 2006;97:671-2 pubmed
- Tefekli A, Muslumanoglu A, Baykal M, Binbay M, Tas A, Altunrende F. A hybrid technique using bipolar energy in transurethral prostate surgery: a prospective, randomized comparison. J Urol. 2005;174:1339-43 pubmed