male urologic surgical procedures
Summary: Surgery performed on the male genitalia.
- Ozturk A, Kilinc M, Guven S, Gormus N, Belviranli M, Kaynar M, et al. Penis replantation after self-mutilation. Int Urol Nephrol. 2009;41:109-11 pubmed publisher..In this case report, the procedure of penis replanting and its complications after genital self-mutilation in a male adult are explained. ..
- Shima H. [Cryptorchidism: update on diagnosis and therapy]. Hinyokika Kiyo. 2007;53:503-4 pubmed..Fertility and malignancy are also discussed in cases with cryptorchidism. ..
- Kibar Y, Roth C, Frimberger D, Kropp B. Long-term results of penile disassembly technique for correction of epispadias. Urology. 2009;73:510-4 pubmed publisher..Our experience, with a mean follow-up of nearly 5 years and an overall complication rate of 33.3%, is comparable to that of other published series. ..
- Chiou R, Aggarwal H, Mues A, Chiou C, Broughton F. Clinical experience and sexual function outcome of patients with priapism treated with penile cavernosal-dorsal vein shunt using saphenous vein graft. Urology. 2009;73:556-61 pubmed publisher..It resulted in priapism resolution even in patients who had experienced a previous failed cavernosal-glandular shunt or cavernosal-spongiosal shunt, with a high rate of sexual function preservation. ..
- Bar Yosef Y, Binyamini J, Sofer M, Matzkin H, Ben Chaim J. Ventral plication for repair of pediatric dorsal penile curvature. Urology. 2009;73:787-90 pubmed publisher..The results of our study have shown that ventral plication is a simple and efficient technique for the repair of dorsal penile curvature. ..
- Cansino Alcaide J, Alvarez Maestro M, Martín Hernández M, Cabrera Castillo P, Pérez Utrilla Pérez M, Rodríguez de Bethencourt F, et al. [Paraurethral ballon implantation in the treatment of male urinary incontinence. La Paz University Hospital experience]. Arch Esp Urol. 2007;60:647-55 pubmed..In our experience, we believe that paraurethral balloon implantation could be the first therapeutic option for mild and moderate male urinary incontinence. ..
- Navalón Verdejo P, Pallas Costa Y, Juan Escudero J, Fabuel Deltoro M, Ordoño Domínguez F, Monllor Peidro E, et al. [Dorsal meatoplasty for the treatment of meatal stenosis in patients with balanitis xerotica obliterans]. Arch Esp Urol. 2007;60:1.156-1.160 pubmed
- Deyl R, Averbeck M, Almeida G, Pioner G, Souto C. Appendix interposition for total left ureteral reconstruction. J Pediatr Urol. 2009;5:237-9 pubmed publisher..Surveillance for late operative complications is required, since this is the first case of total left ureteral reconstruction with appendix to connect the renal pelvis of a native kidney to the urinary bladder. ..
- Kutzenberger J. [Neurogenic urinary incontinence. Value of surgical management]. Urologe A. 2008;47:699-706 pubmed publisher..A stable reservoir function is required. If not all methods are possible, the ileum conduit or the suprapubic bladder fistula can be the last resort. ..
- Zhou L, Hwang A, Xie H, Deng C, Li X, Hardy B. Giant prostatic utricle associated with proximal hypospadias: repair by mucosa divesting and muscular tunnel obliteration. J Pediatr Surg. 2007;42:1882-6 pubmed..The technique of the divesting of the prostatic utricle mucosa and closure of the muscular wall is an effective alternative approach for repairing giant prostatic utricles. It is safe and simple. The surgical exposure is very good. ..
- Cornel E, Elzevier H, Putter H. Can advance transobturator sling suspension cure male urinary postoperative stress incontinence?. J Urol. 2010;183:1459-63 pubmed publisher..Significantly improved continence was not observed on pad test but significant improvement in continence and bother was seen on the visual analog scale at 3 months. ..
- Levine L, Strom K, Lux M. Buccal mucosa graft urethroplasty for anterior urethral stricture repair: evaluation of the impact of stricture location and lichen sclerosus on surgical outcome. J Urol. 2007;178:2011-5 pubmed..When lichen sclerosus is present, careful consideration should be given to complete excision of the diseased urethra with multistage repair vs accepting a higher rate of stricture recurrence with 1-stage repair. ..
- Gupta R, Oak S, Parelkar S, Sanghvi B, Kaltari D, Prakash A, et al. Ruptured rectal duplication cyst with classical bladder exstrophy. J Pediatr Surg. 2010;45:1538-41 pubmed publisher..The association of classical bladder exstrophy with ruptured rectal duplication cyst has never previously been described in the literature. ..
- Karabulut A, Sunay M, Erdem K, Emir L, Erol D. Retrospective analysis of the results obtained by using Mathieu and TIP urethroplasty techniques in recurrent hypospadias repairs. J Pediatr Urol. 2008;4:359-63 pubmed publisher..The success of the Mathieu operation diminished proportionally to the number of previous failed surgeries. ..
- Liu Z, Xu Y. [Advances in the treatment of male acquired urinary incontinence]. Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue. 2007;13:647-50 pubmed..Recent progress in the treatment of male acquired urinary incontinence is reviewed in this article. ..
- Deniz N, Kirac M, Camtosun A, Irkilata L, Tan M. Repair of hypospadiac urethral duplication with dismembered urethroplasty. Urol Int. 2008;80:105-7 pubmed publisher..After endoscopic treatment of the stricture in the ventral (dominant) urethra, urethral reconstruction was done anastomosing the ventral (dominant) and dorsal (non-dominant atretic urethra) in a dismembered fashion...
- Marmar J, Sharlip I, Goldstein M. Results of vasovasostomy or vasoepididymostomy after failed percutaneous epididymal sperm aspirations. J Urol. 2008;179:1506-9 pubmed publisher..Vasoepididymostomy was possible when needed. Of the 8 couples 4 achieved pregnancy (50%). Vasovasostomy or vasoepididymostomy is possible after percutaneous epididymal sperm aspiration. ..
- Perovic S, Djinovic R, Bumbasirevic M, Djordjevic M, Vukovic P. Total phalloplasty using a musculocutaneous latissimus dorsi flap. BJU Int. 2007;100:899-905; discussion 905 pubmed..The MLD flap allows the creation of a neophallus of good size and with a good aesthetic appearance; it allows urethroplasty and safe implantation of a penile prosthesis, and it can also be used in children. ..
- Irkilata H, Dayanc M, Kibar Y, Musabak U, Yesilkaya E, Oral E, et al. Effect of scrotal incision orchiopexy on serum inhibin B levels and comparison with classic inguinal orchiopexy. Urology. 2008;72:525-9 pubmed publisher..The serum inhibin B level increases after scrotal incision orchiopexy just as after classic inguinal orchiopexy. The increased level of inhibin B might indicate that the orchiopexy has been beneficial. ..
- Alkan M, Oguzkurt P, Ezer S, Ince E, Hicsonmez A. Evaluation of the results of eccentric circummeatal-based flap with combined limited urethral mobilization technique for distal hypospadias repair. J Pediatr Urol. 2008;4:206-9 pubmed publisher..The absence of fistula formation and short duration of hospital stay are additional advantages. ..
- Hayashi Y, Kojima Y. Current concepts in hypospadias surgery. Int J Urol. 2008;15:651-64 pubmed publisher..Efforts have been made in this decade to improve cosmetic appearance, constructing a slit-like meatus or performing foreskin reconstruction, and to prevent onerous complications. ..
- Hayashi Y, Kojima Y, Mizuno K, Nakane A, Kato T, Kurokawa S, et al. Demonstration of postoperative effectiveness in ventral lengthening using a tunica vaginalis flap for severe penile curvature with hypospadias. Urology. 2010;76:101-6 pubmed publisher..Therefore, lengthening the ventral aspect using a tunica vaginalis flap might be an important alternative for correction of severe penile curvature in hypospadias surgery. ..
- Shirotake S, Horiguchi A, Umeda S, Ohtsuki H, Tobe M, Takahashi M, et al. [Case of pelvic retroperitoneal fibrosis]. Nihon Hinyokika Gakkai Zasshi. 2009;100:550-4 pubmed..We augmented the defected ureter by Boari flap method. We should be noticed that retroperitoneal fibrosis could be a differential diagnosis of retroperitoneal pelvic mass. ..
- Agrawal A, Parelkar S, Shah H, Sanghvi B, Joshi M, Mishra P. Multiple circumferential urethrocutaneous fistulae: a rare complication of circumcision. J Pediatr Urol. 2009;5:240-2 pubmed publisher..Resection of fistulae with anastomosis of the urethra was carried out. Postoperatively, the patient passed urine from a normal meatus with a good stream. ..
- Mancini J, Kizer W, Jones L, Mora R, Morey A. Patient satisfaction after dual implantation of inflatable penile and artificial urinary sphincter prostheses. Urology. 2008;71:893-6 pubmed publisher..Dual implantation produces encouraging outcomes in patient satisfaction, ease of use and functionality that are similar to those found after placement of either IPP or AUS alone. ..
- Engel O, Fisch M. [Urethral reconstruction after failed primary surgery]. Urologe A. 2010;49:822-6 pubmed publisher..It also highlights factors that should be considered to minimize postoperative complications. The concluding discussion describes the individual surgical procedures suitable for revision surgery depending on the previous approach. ..
- Wuethrich P, Kessler T, Panicker J, Curatolo M, Burkhard F. Detrusor activity is impaired during thoracic epidural analgesia after open renal surgery. Anesthesiology. 2010;112:1345-9 pubmed publisher..In contrast to our initial hypothesis, detrusor activity was significantly impaired during TEA after open renal surgery. This resulted in clinically relevant postvoid residuals. ..
- Papouis G, Kaselas C, Skoumis K, Kaselas V. Repair of distal hypospadias and preputioplasty in one operation. Risks and advantages. Urol Int. 2009;82:183-6 pubmed publisher..8%) and foreskin dehiscence presented in 2 patients (2.5%). Preputioplasty together with distal hypospadias repair is feasible without risking the success of the main operation and guaranties a satisfactory cosmetic appearance. ..
- Sugita Y, Ueoka K, Tagkagi S, Hisamatsu E, Yoshino K, Tanikaze S. A new technique of concealed penis repair. J Urol. 2009;182:1751-4 pubmed publisher..Our new method is easy to design and perform to correct concealed penis. It provides a good cosmetic appearance and seems to be applicable in all cases with deficient penile shaft skin. ..
- El Dahshoury Z. Modified annular penile skin flap for repair of pan-anterior urethral stricture. Int Urol Nephrol. 2009;41:889-94 pubmed publisher..To review our experience with a zigzag shape annular penile fasciocutaneous flap (modified McAninch flap) for reconstruction of pan-anterior urethral strictures...
- Zini A, Boman J, Baazeem A, Jarvi K, Libman J. Natural history of varicocele management in the era of intracytoplasmic sperm injection. Fertil Steril. 2008;90:2251-6 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, couples electing not to repair the varicocele are more likely to undergo ART procedures to improve their chances of conception. ..
- Arena F, Scalfari G, Impellizzeri P, Antonuccio P, Romeo C. Case report of congenital fistula of the penile urethra. Minerva Pediatr. 2008;60:255-7 pubmed..Isolated congenital fistula of the penile urethra is extremely rare. A case of congenital urethral fistula with an intact glandular urethra without chordee is reported with a discussion of the possible etiology and management. ..
- Shamsa A, Mohammadi L, Abolbashari M, Shakeri M, Shamsa S. Comparison of open and laparoscopic varicocelectomies in terms of operative time, sperm parameters, and complications. Urol J. 2009;6:170-5 pubmed..Subinguinal method under general anesthesia has intermediate efficacy regarding less complications than laparoscopic method and shorter operative time than the two other methods. ..
- Tuncel A, Sezgin T, Uzum N, Ataoglu O, Atan A. Primary apocrine adenocarcinoma of the scrotum with distant metastasis: a case report. Can J Urol. 2009;16:4860-2 pubmed..Bone scan showed multi metastatic disease of the bone. Complete resection of the scrotal lesion was performed. In histopathological examination, apocrine adenocarcinoma was diagnosed. ..
- Glina S, Burnett A, Becher E, Brock G, Hellstrom W. Priapism: reasons for failure by Frank Hinman Jr. J Sex Med. 2007;4:1539-43 pubmed
- Wickramasuriya N, Muthucumaru M, Hewavithana P. A rare cause of acute urinary retention in a male infant. J Pediatr Urol. 2008;4:243-4 pubmed publisher..Clinical and radiological evaluation and surgical correction are discussed. ..
- Slavov C, Donkov I, Popov E. Case of duplication of the urethra in an adult male, presenting with symptoms of bladder outlet obstruction: part 2. Eur Urol. 2007;52:1521-2 pubmed
- Tyritzis S, Stravodimos K, Mihalakis A, Constantinides C. Complications associated with primary and secondary perforation of the bladder following immediate instillations of epirubicin after transurethral resection of superficial urothelial tumours. Int Urol Nephrol. 2009;41:865-8 pubmed publisher..However, we postulate that a delayed perforation of the bladder might occur due to the cytotoxic effect to the bladder tissue of the instilled drugs. ..
- Trivedi S, Kumar A, Goyal N, Dwivedi U, Singh P. Urethral reconstruction in balanitis xerotica obliterans. Urol Int. 2008;81:285-9 pubmed publisher..3% required multiple auxiliary procedures postoperatively. 34 patients (69.4%) required subsequent urethral reconstruction. A free graft urethroplasty using non-genital skin is recommended for anterior urethral stricture related to BXO. ..
- Cocuzza M, Pagani R, Lopes R, Athayde K, Lucon A, Srougi M, et al. Use of subinguinal incision for microsurgical testicular biopsy during varicocelectomy in men with nonobstructive azoospermia. Fertil Steril. 2009;91:925-8 pubmed publisher..This technique may be an attractive alternative to traditional biopsy because it obviates scrotal violation. ..
- El Gohary M. Duplicate bladder exstrophy: a case report. J Pediatr Urol. 2008;4:310-2 pubmed publisher..The cosmetic result was acceptable and the child has normal control of urine from the normally positioned urethra. ..
- Catti M, Lottmann H, Babloyan S, Lortat Jacob S, Mouriquand P. Original Koyanagi urethroplasty versus modified Hayashi technique: outcome in 57 patients. J Pediatr Urol. 2009;5:300-6 pubmed publisher..Choice of technique for treating severe hypospadias is discussed...
- Moursy E. Outcome of proximal hypospadias repair using three different techniques. J Pediatr Urol. 2010;6:45-53 pubmed publisher..Functional and cosmetic outcomes are satisfactory, with no statistically significant advantage with any technique. ..
- Esposito C, Vallone G, Savanelli A, Settimi A. Long-term outcome of laparoscopic Fowler-Stephens orchiopexy in boys with intra-abdominal testis. J Urol. 2009;181:1851-6 pubmed publisher..The operated testis was always significantly smaller compared to the normal testis but was well vascularized. ..
- Barbagli G, Morgia G, Lazzeri M. Retrospective outcome analysis of one-stage penile urethroplasty using a flap or graft in a homogeneous series of patients. BJU Int. 2008;102:853-60 pubmed publisher..The use of grafts for one-stage penile urethroplasty gave a higher success rate (80%) than flaps (67%). The difference in the success rate between oral mucosal grafts (82%) and skin grafts (78%) was not clinically significant. ..
- Steven M, Broadis E, Carachi R, Brindley N. Sign on the dotted line: parental consent. Pediatr Surg Int. 2008;24:847-9 pubmed publisher..Parents appear satisfied and consenting for procedures is overall performed well. Some areas could be improved and more research is required in this area. ..
- Dutta A, Taneja A. Minimum effective dose of bupivacaine required for transurethral procedures remains uncertain. Anesth Analg. 2007;105:1170; author reply 1170 pubmed
- Zhu Y, Ye D, Yao X, Zhang S, Dai B, Zhang H, et al. The value of squamous cell carcinoma antigen in the prognostic evaluation, treatment monitoring and followup of patients with penile cancer. J Urol. 2008;180:2019-23 pubmed publisher..Squamous cell carcinoma antigen is not a sensitive marker of tumor burden. However, it has prognostic significance for disease-free survival in patients with penile cancer treated with surgery. ..
- Calleary J, Wiseman O, Masood J, Hill J. Definitive identification of a patent processus vaginalis by intraoperative injection of methylene blue into the hydrocoele sac. J Pediatr Urol. 2008;4:218-20 pubmed publisher..Intraoperative injection of a methylene blue solution into a hydrocoele sac will aid identification of a difficult PPV, thus minimising the risk of cord damage. This is especially helpful in cases of recurrent hydrocoele. ..