Genomes and Genes
gynecologic surgical procedures
Summary: Surgery performed on the female genitalia.
- Lee D, Kim M, Lee Y, Lee H. Does intraabdominal pressure affect development of subcutaneous emphysema at gynecologic laparoscopy?. J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2011;18:761-5 pubmed publisher..To estimate the effect of intraabdominal pressure and risk factors related to the occurrence of subcutaneous emphysema during laparoscopic surgery...
- Escobar P, Bedaiwy M, Fader A, Falcone T. Laparoendoscopic single-site (LESS) surgery in patients with benign adnexal disease. Fertil Steril. 2010;93:2074.e7-10 pubmed publisher..The LESS surgery for benign adnexal disease is feasible in patients with or without earlier surgery. Additional investigation is needed to evaluate the safety and long-term outcomes of this new approach. ..
- Tsolakidis D, Amant F, Van Gorp T, Leunen K, Neven P, Vergote I. Diaphragmatic surgery during primary debulking in 89 patients with stage IIIB-IV epithelial ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol. 2010;116:489-96 pubmed publisher..In patients with thick (>0.3 cm) or large (>4 cm) lesions stripping the diaphragm or full thickness resection of the diaphragmatic muscle is preferred. ..
- Enskog A, Johannesson L, Chai D, Dahm Kähler P, Marcickiewicz J, Nyachieo A, et al. Uterus transplantation in the baboon: methodology and long-term function after auto-transplantation. Hum Reprod. 2010;25:1980-7 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates the feasibility of UTx by vascular anastomosis in a non-human primate species. The low success rate demonstrates the complexity involved in UTx surgery and the need for further methodological developments. ..
- Fader A, Cohen S, Escobar P, Gunderson C. Laparoendoscopic single-site surgery in gynecology. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2010;22:331-8 pubmed publisher..LESS represents the latest innovation in minimally invasive surgery but comparative data and prospective trials are required to determine the clinical impact of LESS in treatment of gynecologic conditions. ..
- Woelber L, Kock L, Gieseking F, Petersen C, Trillsch F, Choschzick M, et al. Clinical management of primary vulvar cancer. Eur J Cancer. 2011;47:2315-21 pubmed publisher..This article discusses the current literature to elaborate recommendations for the management of primary vulvar cancer in clinical routine...
- Tinelli A, Malvasi A, Guido M, Tsin D, Hudelist G, Hurst B, et al. Adhesion formation after intracapsular myomectomy with or without adhesion barrier. Fertil Steril. 2011;95:1780-5 pubmed publisher..To show the prevention of adhesion formation by placing an absorbable adhesion barrier after intracapsular myomectomy...
- Chang W, Chou L, Chang D, Huang P, Huang S, Chen S, et al. Simultaneous laparoscopic uterine artery ligation and laparoscopic myomectomy for symptomatic uterine myomas with and without in situ morcellation. Hum Reprod. 2011;26:1735-40 pubmed publisher..The LUAL + myomectomy, either by enucleation or ISM, is acceptable in the management of symptomatic uterine fibroids. However, the LUAL + ISM technique might be more feasible, as it requires less operative time. ..
- Cho J, Liu C, Gossner G, Nezhat F. Laparoscopy and gynecologic oncology. Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2009;52:313-26 pubmed publisher..Significant progress has been made in the last 2 decades in gynecologic malignancy. In this study, the application of laparoscopy in cervical, endometrial, and ovarian cancer will be presented. ..
- Fanning J, Shah M, Fenton B. Reduced-force closed trocar entry technique: analysis of trocar insertion force using a mechanical force gauge. JSLS. 2011;15:59-61 pubmed publisher..Our reduced-force trocar entry technique decreases trocar insertion force by 50%, requires no additional instruments or cost and is fast and safe. Reduced-entry force pressure may decrease the risk of trocar insertion injury. ..
- Ratchanon S, Phaloprakarn C, Traipak K. Pain control in laparoscopic gynecologic surgery with/without preoperative (preemptive) parecoxib sodium injection: a randomized study. J Med Assoc Thai. 2011;94:1164-8 pubmed..Preoperative parecoxib sodium significantly reduced postoperative meperidine requirement and consumption, while insignificantly declined the pain scores. Serious adverse events were not encountered ..
- Vonk Noordegraaf A, Huirne J, Brolmann H, Emanuel M, van Kesteren P, Kleiverda G, et al. Effectiveness of a multidisciplinary care program on recovery and return to work of patients after gynaecological surgery; design of a randomized controlled trial. BMC Health Serv Res. 2012;12:29 pubmed publisher..Netherlands Trial Register (NTR): NTR2087. ..
- Escobar P, Starks D, Fader A, Catenacci M, Falcone T. Laparoendoscopic single-site and natural orifice surgery in gynecology. Fertil Steril. 2010;94:2497-502 pubmed publisher..The main limitation is the availability of instrumentation to successfully accomplish the task. Single port and natural orifice surgery offers the potential for advancing the minimally invasive approach to gynecologic surgery. ..
- Vonk Noordegraaf A, Huirne J, Brolmann H, Van Mechelen W, Anema J. Multidisciplinary convalescence recommendations after gynaecological surgery: a modified Delphi method among experts. BJOG. 2011;118:1557-67 pubmed publisher..To generate structured detailed uniform convalescence recommendations after gynaecological surgery by a modified Delphi method amongst experts and a representative group of physicians...
- Uppal S, Frumovitz M, Escobar P, Ramirez P. Laparoendoscopic single-site surgery in gynecology: review of literature and available technology. J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2011;18:12-23 pubmed publisher..Although LESS surgery provides another option in the arena of minimally invasive gynecologic surgery, the ultimate role of this approach remains to be determined. ..
- Wright J, Shah M, Mathew L, Burke W, Culhane J, Goldman N, et al. Fertility preservation in young women with epithelial ovarian cancer. Cancer. 2009;115:4118-26 pubmed publisher..05 for all). In a multivariate model, uterine preservation had no effect on survival (HR, 0.87; 95% CI, 0.62-1.22). Ovarian and uterine-conserving surgery were safe in young women who had stage IA and IC epithelial ovarian cancer. ..
- Trew G, Pistofidis G, Pados G, Lower A, Mettler L, Wallwiener D, et al. Gynaecological endoscopic evaluation of 4% icodextrin solution: a European, multicentre, double-blind, randomized study of the efficacy and safety in the reduction of de novo adhesions after laparoscopic gynaecological surgery. Hum Reprod. 2011;26:2015-27 pubmed publisher..The study provides direction for future research into adhesion reduction strategies in site specific surgery. ..
- Fader A, Escobar P. Laparoendoscopic single-site surgery (LESS) in gynecologic oncology: technique and initial report. Gynecol Oncol. 2009;114:157-61 pubmed publisher..Further studies are needed to better define the ideal gynecologic procedures for single-site surgery and to assess the benefits of LESS compared with more conventional minimally invasive approaches. ..
- Andikyan V, Rezk Y, Einstein M, Gualtiere G, Leitao M, Sonoda Y, et al. A prospective study of the feasibility and acceptability of a Web-based, electronic patient-reported outcome system in assessing patient recovery after major gynecologic cancer surgery. Gynecol Oncol. 2012;127:273-7 pubmed publisher..Poor performance status, nausea, and fatigue were the most common distressing patient-reported symptoms. ..
- Altman D, Väyrynen T, Engh M, Axelsen S, Falconer C. Anterior colporrhaphy versus transvaginal mesh for pelvic-organ prolapse. N Engl J Med. 2011;364:1826-36 pubmed publisher..Funded by the Karolinska Institutet and Ethicon; ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT00566917.). ..
- Yeung P, Sinervo K, Winer W, Albee R. Complete laparoscopic excision of endometriosis in teenagers: is postoperative hormonal suppression necessary?. Fertil Steril. 2011;95:1909-12, 1912.e1 pubmed publisher..These data have important implications in the overall care of teenagers, regarding pain management, but also potentially for fertility. Further large comparative trials are needed to verify these results. ..
- Ferland R, Campbell P. Pre-clinical evaluation of a next-generation spray adhesion barrier for multiple site adhesion protection. Surg Technol Int. 2009;18:137-43 pubmed
- Minig L, Trimble E, Sarsotti C, Sebastiani M, Spong C. Building the evidence base for postoperative and postpartum advice. Obstet Gynecol. 2009;114:892-900 pubmed publisher..for postdischarge instructions related to physical activity after the most common obstetric and gynecologic surgical procedures, we conclude that the available data do not support many of the recommendations currently provided...
- Rettenmaier M, Abaid L, Erwin M, John C, Micha J, Brown J, et al. A retrospective review of the GelPort system in single-port access pelvic surgery. J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2009;16:743-7 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the specialized design augments a surgeon's versatility and access to complicated anatomic regions without compromising the peritoneum. ..
- Maher C, Feiner B, Decuyper E, Nichlos C, Hickey K, O Rourke P. Laparoscopic sacral colpopexy versus total vaginal mesh for vaginal vault prolapse: a randomized trial. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011;204:360.e1-7 pubmed publisher..006). At 2 years, the laparoscopic sacral colpopexy had a higher satisfaction rate and objective success rate than the total vaginal mesh with lower perioperative morbidity and reoperation rate. ..
- Kim T, Lee Y, Kim M, Kim C, Kang H, Choi C, et al. Single port access laparoscopic adnexal surgery. J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2009;16:612-5 pubmed publisher..The single port access laparoscopic adnexal surgery was safe and feasible and provided almost no visual scar. ..
- Stanford E, Cassidenti A, Moen M. Traditional native tissue versus mesh-augmented pelvic organ prolapse repairs: providing an accurate interpretation of current literature. Int Urogynecol J. 2012;23:19-28 pubmed publisher..An understanding of the published literature and knowledge of individual surgeon factors are important in deciding which surgical approach to use and how to best counsel patients during informed consent. ..
- Brannstrom M, Wranning C, Altchek A. Experimental uterus transplantation. Hum Reprod Update. 2010;16:329-45 pubmed publisher..Several aspects of the procedure have been optimized but some remain to be solved. It is predicted that the research will soon reach a stage that could merit introduction of human UTx as an experimental procedure. ..
- Nieminen K, Hiltunen R, Takala T, Heiskanen E, Merikari M, Niemi K, et al. Outcomes after anterior vaginal wall repair with mesh: a randomized, controlled trial with a 3 year follow-up. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010;203:235.e1-8 pubmed publisher..The use of mesh was not associated with an increase in dyspareunia. ..
- Nezhat F, DeNoble S, Liu C, Cho J, Brown D, Chuang L, et al. The safety and efficacy of laparoscopic surgical staging and debulking of apparent advanced stage ovarian, fallopian tube, and primary peritoneal cancers. JSLS. 2010;14:155-68 pubmed publisher..To describe our experience with laparoscopic primary or interval tumor debulking in patients with presumed advanced ovarian, fallopian tube, or peritoneal cancers...
- Vollebregt A, Fischer K, Gietelink D, van der Vaart C. Primary surgical repair of anterior vaginal prolapse: a randomised trial comparing anatomical and functional outcome between anterior colporrhaphy and trocar-guided transobturator anterior mesh. BJOG. 2011;118:1518-27 pubmed publisher..Primary cystocele repair with trocar-guided transobturator mesh resulted in a statistically significant better anatomical outcome compared with the anterior colporrhaphy. However, functional outcome was similar between groups. ..
- Zhang W, Yuan J, Kan Q, Zhang L, Chang Y, Wang Z. Study of the OPRM1 A118G genetic polymorphism associated with postoperative nausea and vomiting induced by fentanyl intravenous analgesia. Minerva Anestesiol. 2011;77:33-9 pubmed..OPRM1 A118G has no effect on the individual variation of postoperative nausea and vomiting, the side effects of fentanyl analgesia, in Chinese women undergoing gynecologic surgery. ..
- Hong J, Choi J, Lee J, Son C, Jeon S, Bae J. Laparoscopic management of large ovarian tumors: clinical tips for overcoming common concerns. J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2012;38:9-15 pubmed publisher..Laparoscopic management of large ovarian tumors is feasible and efficient with appropriate patient selection and experience of surgeons. ..
- Withagen M, Milani A, den Boon J, Vervest H, Vierhout M. Trocar-guided mesh compared with conventional vaginal repair in recurrent prolapse: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol. 2011;117:242-50 pubmed publisher..Symptom decrease and improvement of quality of life were equal in both groups. ClinicalTrials.gov, www.clinicaltrials.gov, NCT00372190. I. ..
- Palva K, Nilsson C. Effectiveness of the TVT procedure as a repeat mid-urethra operation for treatment of stress incontinence. Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2009;20:769-74 pubmed publisher..A retropubic mid-urethra sling operation can be considered after failed mid-urethra sling surgery. ..
- Healey M, Ang W, Cheng C. Surgical treatment of endometriosis: a prospective randomized double-blinded trial comparing excision and ablation. Fertil Steril. 2010;94:2536-40 pubmed publisher..Nonsignificant trends suggest that a larger study may find a difference in outcomes looking at dyspareunia or dyschezia. ..
- Ruiz León M, Fernández Montarroso L, Pérez Romero N, Galante Romo I, Resel Folkersma L, Moreno Sierra J. Robotic colposacropexy. Arch Esp Urol. 2017;70:385-399 pubmed..Considering that comparative studies are necessary, it is reasonable to assume that RALCS is a feasible and secure technique for the treatment of POP. ..
- Meghelli L, Narducci F, Mariette C, Piessen G, Vanseymortier M, Leblanc E, et al. Reporting adverse events in cancer surgery randomized trials: A systematic review of published trials in oesophago-gastric and gynecological cancer patients. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2016;104:108-14 pubmed publisher..5%, 1.1%, 7.8%, and 7.2% of the studies, respectively. Reporting of AEs did not improve over time nor better in high-impact factor journals. The reporting of AEs in cancer trials investigating surgery needs to be improved. ..
- Yang J, Yang S, Huang W, Tzeng C. Matched-pair analyses of resting and dynamic morphology between Monarc and TVT-O procedures by ultrasound. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2013;169:402-7 pubmed publisher..Despite flatter resting tape angulations in women following Monarc procedures, both Monarc and TVT-O tapes had equivalent dynamic patterns and changes assessed by 4D ultrasound. ..
- van Dijk J, Dedden S, Geomini P, Meijer P, van Hanegem N, Bongers M. POstLAparoscopic Reduction of pain By combining intraperitoneal normal salinE And the pulmonary Recruitment maneuver (POLAR BEAR trial). RCT to estimate reduction in pain after laparoscopic surgery when using a combination therapy of intraperitoneal . BMC Womens Health. 2017;17:42 pubmed publisher..Secondary outcomes are postoperative use of analgesics, nausea, vomiting and pulmonary complications. This study may reduce post-laparoscopic pain in women undergoing laparoscopy. Dutch trial register, number NTR4812 . ..
- Oseledchyk A, Zivanovic O. Intraoperative Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy in Patients With Advanced Ovarian Cancer. Oncology (Williston Park). 2015;29:695-701 pubmed..However, prospective data are limited and an outcomes benefit has yet to be shown. Here we discuss the advantages and pitfalls of HIPEC, as well as current data and ongoing prospective trials. ..
- Frati A, Thomassin Naggara I, Bazot M, Darai E, Rouzier R, Chereau E. Accuracy of diagnosis on CT scan of Surgicel® Fibrillar: results of a prospective blind reading study. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2013;169:397-401 pubmed publisher..Oxidized regenerated cellulose is a differential diagnosis for abscess or collection. The radiologist should be informed about its presence to increase appropriate evaluation of CT scans and avoid inappropriate treatment. ..
- Bogani G, Uccella S, Cromi A, Casarin J, Donadello N, Ghezzi F. Primary mammary-like ductal carcinoma of the vulva: a case report and analysis of the literature. Am J Dermatopathol. 2013;35:685-7 pubmed publisher..The patient is alive, 24 months after surgery, with no clinical and radiological evidence of disease. To provide a better insight in to the clinical approach for this rare disease, a review of the available literature was performed. ..
- Jasonni V, Matonti G. [Management of iatrogenic gynecologic injuries with urologic relevance. Causes and prevention of complications: the gynecologist's opinion]. Urologia. 2013;80 Suppl 22:24-7 pubmed publisher..To detect and prevent urinary tract injuries in gynecological surgery...
- Rauh Hain J, Clemmer J, Clark R, Bradford L, Growdon W, Goodman A, et al. Racial disparities and changes in clinical characteristics and survival for vulvar cancer over time. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2013;209:468.e1-468.e10 pubmed publisher..62; 95% CI, 0.41-0.95) and 2000-2009 (HR, 0.46; 95% CI, 0.30-0.72) but not earlier. AA presented at a significantly younger age compared with white women and had better survival compared with whites. ..
- Kalogera E, Bakkum Gamez J, Jankowski C, Trabuco E, Lovely J, Dhanorker S, et al. Enhanced recovery in gynecologic surgery. Obstet Gynecol. 2013;122:319-28 pubmed publisher..Implementation of enhanced recovery was associated with acceptable pain management with reduced opioids, reduced length of stay with stable readmission and morbidity rates, good patient satisfaction, and substantial cost reductions. II. ..
- Olajumoke T, Afolayan J, Fashanu A, Adekunle M. Single dose of dexamethasone for prevention of nausea and vomiting after major gynaecological surgery. Niger J Med. 2013;22:207-11 pubmed..Dexamethasone when given prophylactically at induction reduces incidence of postoperative nausea and vomiting after gynaecological surgeries. ..