urogenital surgical procedures
Summary: Surgery performed on the urinary tract or its organs and on the male or female genitalia.
- Tebeu P, Fomulu J, Mbassi A, Tcheliebou J, Doh A, Rochat C. Quality care in vesico-vaginal obstetric fistula: case series report from the regional hospital of Maroua-Cameroon. Pan Afr Med J. 2010;5:6 pubmed..These factors must be taken into consideration when preparing patients for surgery or when assigning them to a surgeon within the surgical team. ..
- Martan A, Masata J, Svabik K. [TVT SECUR System--tension-free support of the urethra in women suffering from stress urinary incontinence--technique and initial experience]. Ceska Gynekol. 2007;72:42-9 pubmed..In the group of patients with less mobility of the urethra it seems that to use the tape in the "U" position is the better option, this procedure is longer and slightly more difficult. ..
- Zanaboni S, Krauss B, Buscaglia R, Montagnini C, Gratarola A, Gualino J, et al. Changes in respiratory and hemodynamic parameters during low-dose propofol sedation in combination with regional anesthesia for herniorrhaphy and genitourinary surgery in children. Paediatr Anaesth. 2007;17:934-41 pubmed..The presence of PEEPi is a relative contraindication to the use of this regimen in children with asthma or history of upper airway infections. ..
- Bojahr B, Tchartchian G, Waldschmidt M, Schollmeyer T, De Wilde R. Laparoscopic sacropexy: a retrospective analysis of perioperative complications and anatomical outcomes. JSLS. 2012;16:428-36 pubmed publisher..05) for those patients treated with simultaneous or previous hysterectomy. Laparoscopic sacropexy shows good short-term results with low reprolapse and complication rates. ..
- Liang C, Tseng L, Lo T, Lin Y, Lin Y, Chang S. Sexual function following outside-in transobturator midurethral sling procedures: a prospective study. Int Urogynecol J. 2012;23:1693-8 pubmed publisher..TOT procedures for correcting USI had favorable clinical outcomes and did not alter overall sexual function; however, climax during sexual intercourse and emotional response worsened postoperatively. ..
- Matsuyama H, Hirata H, Tomimatsu T, Yamakawa G, Tatsumura M, Naito K. Follow up of surgical repair of female pelvic floor disorders by a mailed questionnaire. Int J Urol. 2006;13:389-94 pubmed..Longer follow up with adequate assessment of patients' QOL may be crucial for the management of postoperative patients, in particular those having basic comorbidity and aged 70 years or more at surgery. ..
- Kunkle D, Lebed B, Mydlo J, Pontari M. Evaluation and management of gunshot wounds of the penis: 20-year experience at an urban trauma center. J Trauma. 2008;64:1038-42 pubmed publisher..Additional studies are needed to prospectively evaluate techniques for management of gunshot urethral injuries. ..
- Vardy M, Brodman M, Olivera C, Zhou H, Flisser A, Bercik R. Anterior intravaginal slingplasty tunneller device for stress incontinence and posterior intravaginal slingplasty for apical vault prolapse: a 2-year prospective multicenter study. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2007;197:104.e1-8 pubmed..For anterior intravaginal slingplasty, the rates of perforation and retention are low, but early extrusions are seen. Patients showed improvements in the Pelvic Floor Impact Questionnaire, regardless of extrusion. ..
- Vaos G. Circumcision with the Nd:YAG laser contact technique compared with conventional surgery. Photomed Laser Surg. 2004;22:318-22 pubmed..05, respectively). These results indicate that the Nd:YAG laser contact technique is an effective laser-assisted procedure alternative to the conventional technique in circumcision with virtually no significant postoperative morbidity. ..
- Dalela D, Ranjan P, Sankhwar P, Sankhwar S, Naja V, Goel A. Supratrigonal VVF repair by modified O'Connor's technique: an experience of 26 cases. Eur Urol. 2006;49:551-6 pubmed..Retropubic dissection and drainage of the retropubic space is also not required. ..
- Abdel Karim A, Moussa A, Elsalmy S. Laparoendoscopic single-site surgery extravesical repair of vesicovaginal fistula: early experience. Urology. 2011;78:567-71 pubmed publisher..The technique has significant low morbidity; however, it requires advanced laparoscopic skills. ..
- Mathers M, Sperling H, Rubben H, Roth S. The undescended testis: diagnosis, treatment and long-term consequences. Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2009;106:527-32 pubmed publisher..Successful treatment before age 13 appears not to lessen the risk of testicular cancer, but it does facilitate early detection by enabling physical examination of the testicle. ..
- Drahoradova P, Masata J, Martan A, Svabik K, Pavlikova M. Can the preoperative value of VLPP and MUCP predict the postoperative quality of life?. Prague Med Rep. 2009;110:42-50 pubmed..8 for VLPP > 60 cmH20, for MUCP < or =20 cmH2O 79.5, and 86.4 for MUCP >20. Low preoperative values of MUCP and VLPP did not correlate with QOL. Preoperative VLPP and MUCP do not predict the QOL after anti-incontinent surgery. ..
- Pena A, Levitt M. Surgical management of cloacal malformations. Semin Neonatol. 2003;8:249-57 pubmed..All patients must be followed on a long-term basis in order to evaluate sexual function and care for obstetric issues. ..
- Vaidyanathan S, Hughes P, Soni B. A simple radiological technique for demonstration of incorrect positioning of a foley catheter with balloon inflated in the urethra of a male spinal cord injury patient. ScientificWorldJournal. 2006;6:2445-9 pubmed..Such documentation proves valuable in planning future treatment, education of health professionals, and settlement of malpractice claims. ..
- Wong C, Lam P, Lucente V. Laparoscopic transabdominal transvesical vesicovaginal fistula repair. J Endourol. 2006;20:240-3; discussion 243 pubmed..We describe a laparoscopic transvesical technique that minimizes operative morbidity while adhering to the principles of transabdominal repair as described by O'Conner...
- Keys C, Barbour L, O Toole S, Sabharwal A. Laparoscopic surgery for varicoceles in children: an audit in a single centre. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2009;19 Suppl 1:S107-9 pubmed publisher..Laparoscopic management of varicoceles is safe and effective at our institute. The indications and timing of surgery remain varied. The surgery is performed by both consultants and trainees. ..
- Hanash K, Al Zahrani H, Mokhtar A, Aslam M. Retrograde vaginal methylene blue injection for localization of complex urinary fistulas. J Endourol. 2003;17:941-3 pubmed..This technique should be reserved for cases of urinary fistulae when all standard diagnostic methods have failed. ..
- Dietz H, Wilson P. Laparoscopic colposuspension versus urethropexy: a case-control series. Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2005;16:15-8; discussion 18 pubmed..Significant differences were observed regarding anatomical appearances, with urethropexies showing more recurrent bladder neck hypermobility and cystocele. ..
- Fadeyibi I, Ikuerowo S, Coker A, Disu E, Akinola R, Onakoya J, et al. Delayed diagnosis of intersex state: surgical outcome of cases seen and review of current concepts. Nig Q J Hosp Med. 2011;21:106-13 pubmed..Expert examination shortly after birth would allow an early and definite decision, avoiding more serious problems with sexual ambiguity in later life. ..
- Paick J, Ku J, Kim S, Oh S, Son H, Shin J. Tension-free vaginal tape procedure for the treatment of mixed urinary incontinence: significance of maximal urethral closure pressure. J Urol. 2004;172:1001-5 pubmed..88 to 0.99, p = 0.030). Our findings suggest that low maximal urethral closure pressure may be associated with persistent urge incontinence after the tension-free vaginal tape procedure in patients with mixed urinary incontinence. ..
- Wall L. Where should obstetric vesico-vaginal fistulas be repaired: at the district general hospital or a specialized fistula center?. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2007;99 Suppl 1:S28-31 pubmed..Without external funding, these prerequisites are almost impossible to meet at rural district hospitals. ..
- Ramalingam M, Senthil K, Pai M, Renukadevi R. Laparoscopic repair of vesicouterine fistula--a case report. Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2008;19:731-3 pubmed..There were no intraoperative or postoperative complications. Follow up CT scan of abdomen and cystoscopy revealed good healing of the repaired area. Laparoscopic repair of vesicouterine fistula is a feasible procedure. ..
- Kollmannsberger C, Bokemeyer C. Salvage chemotherapy after failure of first-line chemotherapy in patients with metastatic testicular cancer. Curr Opin Support Palliat Care. 2008;2:167-72 pubmed publisher..The treatment of these patients requires a close cooperation of experienced medical oncologists, urologists and radiation oncologists. ..
- Arndt C, Hammond S, Rodeberg D, Qualman S. Significance of persistent mature rhabdomyoblasts in bladder/prostate rhabdomyosarcoma: Results from IRS IV. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2006;28:563-7 pubmed..Sequential biopsies are subject to sampling error and should only be performed in the context of protocol-directed therapy to avoid unnecessary radical surgeries. ..
- Hirabayashi T, Ueno S, Hirakawa H, Tei E, Mori M. Surgical Treatment of Inguinal Hernia with Prolapsed Ovary in Young Girls: Emergency Surgery or Elective Surgery. Tokai J Exp Clin Med. 2017;42:89-95 pubmed
- Oguzkurt P, Ince E, Ezer S, Temiz A, Demir S, Hicsonmez A. Primary vaginal calculus secondary to urethrovaginal fistula with imperforate hymen in a 6-year-old girl. J Pediatr Surg. 2009;44:e11-3 pubmed publisher..This is a unique case of a vaginal calculus with a congenital urethrovaginal fistula associated with an imperforate hymen...
- Natale F, Weir J, Cervigni M. Pelvic floor reconstructive surgery: which aspects remain controversial?. Curr Opin Urol. 2006;16:407-12 pubmed..Recurrence rates, particularly in the anterior wall, are still unacceptably high. Evidence is urgently needed to decide whether the use of prosthetic materials may provide the answer, if so, which material and which method? ..
- Pratap A, Agrawal C, Kumar A, Bhatta N, Agrawal B, Tiwari A, et al. Modified posterior sagittal transanorectal approach in repair of urogenital sinus anomalies. Urology. 2007;70:583-7 pubmed..The modified posterior sagittal transanorectal approach is a safe and effective technique in the treatment of UGS anomalies and can be performed without the need for a protective colostomy. ..
- Finley D. Basis for the use of localized hypothermia during radical pelvic surgery. Nat Rev Urol. 2011;8:345-50 pubmed publisher..Localized hypothermia during radical prostatectomy has demonstrated improved recovery of urinary continence and erectile function, and similar benefits might be observed in other types of radical pelvic surgery. ..
- Sanghvi Y, Shastri P, Mane S, Dhende N. Prepubertal presentation of Herlyn-Werner-Wunderlich syndrome: a case report. J Pediatr Surg. 2011;46:1277-80 pubmed publisher..Long-term outcome is quite good with expectation of normal fertility. ..
- Rajamaheswari N, Bharti A, Seethalakshmi K. Vaginal repair of supratrigonal vesicovaginal fistulae--a 10-year review. Int Urogynecol J. 2012;23:1675-8 pubmed publisher..7% and 100%, respectively (p value = 0.26). Overall, 91.8% supratrigonal VVF were cured at our first attempt. Majority of supratrigonal VVF can be approached vaginally with success rate comparable to abdominal approach. ..
- Samplaski M, Lo K, Grober E, Zini A, Jarvi K. Varicocelectomy to "upgrade" semen quality to allow couples to use less invasive forms of assisted reproductive technology. Fertil Steril. 2017;108:609-612 pubmed publisher..Even for low TMSCs, a varicocelectomy may reduce the need for IVF. Varicocele repair (by embolization or microsurgery) potentially reduces the need for IVF and IUI. ..
- Sohn M, Bosinski H. Gender identity disorders: diagnostic and surgical aspects. J Sex Med. 2007;4:1193-207; quiz 1208 pubmed..Best results are to be expected when using multidisciplinary teams of plastic surgeons, urologists, gynecologists, and experts in sexual medicine in large volume centers. ..
- Tamaki M, Saito R, Ueda T. [Clinical statistics of the operations during a 10-year period at the Department of Urology, Kouga Public Hospital: 1993-2002]. Hinyokika Kiyo. 2003;49:631-5 pubmed..Operations for bladders made up the greatest portion of all the surgeries and especially transurethral resection of bladder tumor and hydrodistention have been increasing. ..
- Sasuga M, Matsukawa T, Ookawa I, Tamaki F, Masamune T, Kumazawa T. [Anesthetic management of three patients with myotonic dystrophy in a family]. Masui. 2004;53:269-72 pubmed..Because severity of the myotonic dystrophy varies among the patients, the strategy for anesthesia should be planned on each patient. Generally speaking, regional anesthesia including spinal and epidural anesthesia is preferable. ..
- Domany B, Kopan M, Bodis J. Experience with combined surgical treatment in cases of prolapse of pelvic organs. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2004;191:1505-6 pubmed
- Kafali H, Verit A, Verit F, Demir N. Expeditious method of urethrovesical junction determination in retropubic colposuspension with intraballoon illumination of Foley catheter. Urol Int. 2003;70:262-4 pubmed..Intraballoon illumination for determination of UVJ is simple, safe, effective and precludes an invasive approach such as cystoscopy and cystotomy. ..
- Argirovic R, Likic I, Kadija S, Milenkovic V, Ilic Mostic T, Arsenijevic L. [Outcome of Burch retropubic urethropexy and the effect of concomitant abdominal hysterectomy]. Acta Chir Iugosl. 2006;53:77-81 pubmed..In the 1 year follow-up 81,4% were subjectively cured or improved in the Burch group and 76,4% in the hysterectomy group. No statistically significant difference in the frequency of any subgroup of complications was found. ..
- Stoĭkov S, Emin A, Stambolov B. [Paraurethral cysts--diagnosis, differential diagnosis and treatment (a case report)]. Akush Ginekol (Sofiia). 2004;43:57-60 pubmed..It was fully described on the basis of clinical case from the gynecological practice on a patient with paraurethral cyst, which was removed surgically with good outcome and result. ..
- Kondoh N, Kun K, Ueda Y, Suzuki T, Higuchi Y, Maruyama T, et al. [Results of microsurgical varicocelectomy in the adolescent]. Nihon Hinyokika Gakkai Zasshi. 2009;100:519-24 pubmed..6 months. As with adults, microsurgical subinguinal and inguinal varicocelectomy procedures are safe and effective, and can be considered one of feasible treatment for varicoceles in adolescents. ..
- Link G, van Dooren I, Wieringa N. The extended reconstruction of the pubocervical layer appears superior to the simple plication of the bladder adventitia concerning anterior colporrhaphy: a description of two techniques in an observational retrospective analysis. Gynecol Obstet Invest. 2011;72:274-80 pubmed publisher..Compared with the plication of the bladder adventitia, the reoperation rate after reconstruction of the pubocervical layer is diminished. However, because of potential risks of ureteral injury, the procedure demands serious precaution. ..
- Appell R. Use of bone anchors in surgery for stress urinary incontinence: pro. Urology. 2004;64:849-50 pubmed
- De Maria C, Santoro V, Vozzi G. Biomechanical, Topological and Chemical Features That Influence the Implant Success of an Urogynecological Mesh: A Review. Biomed Res Int. 2016;2016:1267521 pubmed publisher..To increase the success of the implant and to help choice of optimal mesh for a clinical need, two indexes have been proposed for comparing, in an easier way, the mechanical performance of different commercially available meshes. ..
- Miyanaga N, Akaza H, Tsukamoto S, Shimazui T, Ohtani M, Ishikawa S, et al. Usefulness of urinary NMP22 to detect tumor recurrence of superficial bladder cancer after transurethral resection. Int J Clin Oncol. 2003;8:369-73 pubmed..We recommend 5.0 U/ml as a cutoff value of NMP22 for detection of recurrence of bladder tumor. ..
- Salonia A, Briganti A, Deho F, Zanni G, Rigatti P, Montorsi F. Women's sexual dysfunction: a review of the "surgical landscape". Eur Urol. 2006;50:44-52 pubmed..Data about the functional outcome after hysterectomy are often contradictory. Adequately powered prospective clinical trials are needed. ..
- Philippe Chomette P, Orbach D, Brisse H, Aigrain Y, Berrebi D, El Ghoneimi A. [Rhabdomyosarcoma of the genitourinary sinus in children]. Ann Urol (Paris). 2006;40:280-96 pubmed..Various combinations of chemotherapy, irradiation and surgery have resulted in a decreased late sequelae in the group of patients with sarcoma arising in the genitourinary tract. ..
- Alam S, Levitt M, Sheldon C, Pena A. The posterior sagittal approach for recurrent genitourinary pathology. J Urol. 2007;178:1668-71; discussion 1671 pubmed..This approach provides an alternative that warrants careful consideration when dealing with the lower genitourinary tract in pediatric patients, especially in the setting of revisional surgery. ..
- Bai S, Roh J, Kim J, Chung K, Kim S, Park K. Outcomes and surgical therapeutic index of Burch colposuspension in stress urinary incontinence. J Reprod Med. 2003;48:102-6 pubmed..19 and 3.53, respectively. Burch colposuspension is a relatively effective and safe surgical procedure for managing stress urinary incontinence. ..
- Azar M, Noohi S, Radfar S, Radfar M. Sexual function in women after surgery for pelvic organ prolapse. Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2008;19:53-7 pubmed..Using various instruments to assess female sexual function and differences in demographic and cultural characteristics of study groups might be the reasons of discrepancy between the reports. ..
- Bech L, Sander P, Lose G. [Bilateral suprapubic abscessses five years after incontinence surgery]. Ugeskr Laeger. 2009;171:310-1 pubmed..Complete sling removal is important in case of IVS-complications. The monitoring of complications related to new medical devices is insufficient in Denmark. ..