Summary: A method of providing future reproductive opportunities before a medical treatment with known risk of loss of fertility. Typically reproductive organs or tissues (e.g., sperm, egg, embryos and ovarian or testicular tissues) are cryopreserved for future use before the medical treatment (e.g., chemotherapy, radiation) begins.
- Pereira N, Hubschmann A, Lekovich J, Schattman G, Rosenwaks Z. ExÂ vivo retrieval and cryopreservation of oocytes from oophorectomized specimens for fertility preservation in a BRCA1 mutation carrier with ovarian cancer. Fertil Steril. 2017;108:357-360 pubmed publisher..Although she desired to cryopreserve oocytes for fertility preservation, conventional oocyte retrieval was deemed unsafe because follicular puncture would compromise the ..
- Kristensen S, Giorgione V, Humaidan P, Alsbjerg B, Bjørn A, Ernst E, et al. Fertility preservation and refreezing of transplanted ovarian tissue-a potential new way of managing patients with low risk of malignant cell recurrence. Fertil Steril. 2017;107:1206-1213 pubmed publisher..The patient underwent ovarian tissue cryopreservation for fertility preservation and subsequent heterotopic transplantation for fertility restoration 9 years after freezing...
- Codacci Pisanelli G, Del Pup L, Del Grande M, Peccatori F. Mechanisms of chemotherapy-induced ovarian damage in breast cancer patients. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2017;113:90-96 pubmed publisherb>Fertility preservation in breast cancer patients is an increasingly relevant topic...
- Sarais V, Paffoni A, Pagliardini L, Filippi F, Martinelli F, Mangili G, et al. Long-acting recombinant follicle-stimulating hormone in random-start ovarian stimulation protocols for fertility preservation in women with cancer. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2017;96:949-953 pubmed publisher..of the use of long-acting recombinant follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) in a random-start protocol for fertility preservation in women with cancer...
- Liebermann J. Chapter 11 Human Embryo Vitrification. Methods Mol Biol. 2017;1568:141-159 pubmed publisher..may even be used to eliminate fresh embryo transfers for reasons of convenience, uterine receptivity, fertility preservation, preimplantation genetic diagnosis, or emergency management...
- Silber S, Kato K, Aoyama N, Yabuuchi A, Skaletsky H, Fan Y, et al. Intrinsic fertility of human oocytes. Fertil Steril. 2017;107:1232-1237 pubmed publisher..The curve is relatively flat until age 34, and then declines rapidly 10% per year thereafter. ..
- Liebenthron J, Montag M. Chapter 15 Development of a Nationwide Network for Ovarian Tissue Cryopreservation. Methods Mol Biol. 2017;1568:205-220 pubmed publisher..ovarian tissue freezing is a complex requiring a proper approach in order to make this a viable option for fertility preservation of cancer patients...
- Keskin U, Ercan C, Yilmaz A, Babacan A, Korkmaz C, Duru N, et al. Random-start controlled ovarian hyperstimulation with letrozole for fertility preservation in cancer patients: case series and review of literature. J Pak Med Assoc. 2014;64:830-2 pubmed..experience with random-start controlled ovarian hyperstimulation (RS-COH) with the use of letrozole for fertility preservation. GnRH antagonist and letrozole cycles were started in three patients with a diagnosis of cancer and had a ..
- Soares M, Saussoy P, Maskens M, Reul H, Amorim C, Donnez J, et al. Eliminating malignant cells from cryopreserved ovarian tissue is possible in leukaemia patients. Br J Haematol. 2017;178:231-239 pubmed publisher..All isolated and washed follicle suspensions tested negative for leukaemic cells, giving leukaemia patients genuine hope of fertility restoration. ..
- Gandhi G, Kuwayama M, Kagalwala S, Pangerkar P. Appendix A: Cryotech® Vitrification Thawing. Methods Mol Biol. 2017;1568:281-295 pubmed publisher..A detailed protocol has been described with finer tips for the accurate use of the method for perfect survival and safety. ..
- Anspach Will E, Maslow B, Kaye L, Nulsen J. Increasing awareness of age-related fertility and elective fertility preservation among medical students and house staff: a pre- and post-intervention analysis. Fertil Steril. 2017;107:1200-1205.e1 pubmed publisher..and house staff's knowledge and personal and professional perceptions of age-related fertility and fertility preservation before and after an educational intervention. Pre-/post intervention survey...
- Gradishar W, Anderson B, Balassanian R, Blair S, Burstein H, Cyr A, et al. Invasive Breast Cancer Version 1.2016, NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology. J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2016;14:324-54 pubmed..org. ..
- Small W, Bacon M, Bajaj A, Chuang L, Fisher B, Harkenrider M, et al. Cervical cancer: A global health crisis. Cancer. 2017;123:2404-2412 pubmed publisher..Cancer 2017;123:2404-12. © 2017 American Cancer Society. ..
- Martinez F. Update on fertility preservation from the Barcelona International Society for Fertility Preservation-ESHRE-ASRM 2015 expert meeting: indications, results and future perspectives. Fertil Steril. 2017;108:407-415.e11 pubmed publisherWhat progress has been made in fertility preservation (FP) over the last decade? FP techniques have been widely adopted over the last decade and therefore the establishment of international registries on their short- and long-term ..
- Lambertini M, Goldrat O, Toss A, Azim H, Peccatori F, Ignatiadis M, et al. Fertility and pregnancy issues in BRCA-mutated breast cancer patients. Cancer Treat Rev. 2017;59:61-70 pubmed publisher..of a growing amount of data in the general breast cancer population on the feasibility and safety of fertility preservation and pregnancy after diagnosis, numerous challenges remain for BRCA-mutated breast cancer patients in whom ..
- Jasmi V, Samadi F, Eimani H, Hasani S, Fathi R, Shahverdi A. Follicle Development in Grafted Mouse Ovaries after Vitrification Processes Under Static Magnetic Field. Cryo Letters. 2017;38:166-177 pubmedOvarian cryopreservation has emerged as an important method of fertility preservation. Magnetic field enhanced cryopreservation has been considered in recent times as a promising type of ovarian cryopreservation but the effectiveness of ..
- Pais P, Huchon C, Chevrot A, Cohen J, Fauconnier A, Rouzier R, et al. [External multicentric validation of two scores predicting the risk of relapse in patients with borderline ovarian tumors: The nomogram of Bendifallah and the score of Ouldamer]. Bull Cancer. 2017;104:721-726 pubmed publisher..88 (IC 95% [0.78-0.98]) and 0.87 (IC 95% [0.77-0.96]) respectively. This study from an independent population valids the Bendifallah nomogram and Ouldamer score for clinical use in predicting borderline ovarian recurrence. ..
- Park J, Seong S, Kim T, Kim J, Bae D, Nam J. Significance of body weight change during fertility-sparing progestin therapy in young women with early endometrial cancer. Gynecol Oncol. 2017;146:39-43 pubmed publisher..However, pre and posttreatment BMIs of ?25kg/m2 were significant predictors for poor treatment response and high recurrence. Therefore, it is important to maintain patients' normal BMIs during progestin therapy. ..
- Salama M, Woodruff T. Anticancer treatments and female fertility: clinical concerns and role of oncologists in oncofertility practice. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther. 2017;17:687-692 pubmed publisher..of anticancer treatments on female fertility and discusses the current challenges and future directions of fertility preservation options that can be offered to the female patients with cancer...
- Ghafuri D, Stimpson S, Day M, James A, Debaun M, Sharma D. Fertility challenges for women with sickle cell disease. Expert Rev Hematol. 2017;10:891-901 pubmed publisher..Prior to HSCT or gene therapy, we strongly recommend referral to a reproductive endocrinologist to discuss fertility preservation and surrogacy options for all women with SCD.
- KaplanoÄŸlu M, KaplanoÄŸlu D, YÃ¼ce T, Kiran H. Ruptured ipsilateral ectopic pregnancies: a rare emergency case series. Clin Exp Obstet Gynecol. 2015;42:67-8 pubmed..Ipsilateral tube is rare site for ectopic pregnancy. Previous tubal surgery, especially partial salpingectomy, is an important factor in this disease. ..
- Massarotti C, Scaruffi P, Lambertini M, Remorgida V, Del Mastro L, Anserini P. State of the art on oocyte cryopreservation in female cancer patients: A critical review of the literature. Cancer Treat Rev. 2017;57:50-57 pubmed publisher..A proper discussion about fertility preservation options before the use of therapies with potential gonadotoxicity (i.e...
- Jones G, Hughes J, Mahmoodi N, Smith E, Skull J, Ledger W. What factors hinder the decision-making process for women with cancer and contemplating fertility preservation treatment?. Hum Reprod Update. 2017;23:433-457 pubmed publisherAlthough fertility preservation (FP) treatment options have increased, the existing evidence suggests that many women with cancer do not feel well supported in making these decisions, but find them stressful and complex and fail to take ..
- Kim S, Lee J, Samuel Kim S. Chapter 2 Utility of Animal Models for Human Ovarian Tissue Cryopreservation. Methods Mol Biol. 2017;1568:23-31 pubmed publisher..Success in cryopreservation of ovarian tissue (OT) in animal models has led to develop efficient cryo-technologies for human ovarian tissue. In this chapter, cryopreservation protocols developed for animal experiments are described. ..
- Pereira N, Kelly A, Stone L, Witzke J, Lekovich J, Elias R, et al. Gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist trigger increases the number of oocytes and embryos available for cryopreservation in cancer patients undergoing ovarian stimulation for fertility preservation. Fertil Steril. 2017;108:532-538 pubmed publisher..Utilization of a GnRH-agonist trigger increases the number of MII oocytes and 2PN embryos available for cryopreservation in cancer patients undergoing COS for fertility preservation.
- O Donoghue C, Quinn G, Lee M. Fertility Preservation in Breast Cancer. South Med J. 2017;110:621-626 pubmed publisherAs more young women survive breast cancer, fertility preservation (FP) is an important component of care...
- Geravandi S, Azadbakht M. The presence of zinc in the mouse ovary vitrification medium: histological evaluation and follicle growth. Cryo Letters. 2017;38:108-118 pubmed..05). The highest follicle diameter was obtained in the V3 group after 6 days of culture (P < 0.05). Supplementation of the vitrification medium with zinc can improve follicle viability and growth. ..
- Helpman L, Yaniv A, Beiner M, Aviel Ronen S, Perri T, Ben Baruch G, et al. Fertility preservation in women with borderline ovarian tumors - how does it impact disease outcome? A cohort study. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2017;96:1300-1306 pubmed publisher..Fifty patients (24%) developed recurrences; fertility preservation (hazard ratio = 2.57; 95% confidence interval 1.1-6; p = 0.029) and advanced stage (hazard ratio = 4...
- Rusciano G, De Canditiis C, Zito G, Rubessa M, Roca M, Carotenuto R, et al. Raman-microscopy investigation of vitrification-induced structural damages in mature bovine oocytes. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177677 pubmed publisher..Our experimental outcomes also suggest a certain degree of reversibility of the induced transformations, which renders vitrified oocytes more similar to untreated cells after 2 h warming. ..
- Lambertini M, Goldrat O, Clatot F, Demeestere I, Awada A. Controversies about fertility and pregnancy issues in young breast cancer patients: current state of the art. Curr Opin Oncol. 2017;29:243-252 pubmed publisherFor trying to help physicians in counseling their young patients with breast cancer interested in fertility preservation and future reproductive plans, this manuscript aims to perform an overview of the main available data on 10 ..
- Graham J, Lim J, Tucker M. Chapter 14 Establishing an Oocyte Cryobank Network. Methods Mol Biol. 2017;1568:195-203 pubmed publisher..Notably, in addition to elective and medically driven reasons for oocyte cryostorage for fertility preservation, donor oocyte cryobanking is beginning to gain traction, potentially replacing fresh oocyte donation in ..
- Fasano G, DechÃ¨ne J, Antonacci R, Biramane J, Vannin A, Van Langendonckt A, et al. Outcomes of immature oocytes collected from ovarian tissue for cryopreservation in adult and prepubertal patients. Reprod Biomed Online. 2017;34:575-582 pubmed publisher..06) or age (r = -0.033). At present, nine oocytes and one embryo have been warmed in four patients and one biochemical pregnancy obtained. This suggests the combined procedure could be an additional option for fertility preservation.
- Martinelli L, Busatta L, Galvagni L, Piciocchi C. Social egg freezing: a reproductive chance or smoke and mirrors?. Croat Med J. 2015;56:387-91 pubmed
- Fajau Prevot C, Le Gac Y, Chevreau C, Cohade C, Gatimel N, Parinaud J, et al. Ovarian Mucinous Cystadenoma After Ovarian Graft. Obstet Gynecol. 2017;129:1035-1036 pubmed publisher..Ovarian pathology can develop in previously frozen ovarian cortex tissue after transplantation back onto the ovary. This suggests that routine gynecologic surveillance remains important for these women. ..
- Sapy T, Poka R. [Oncofertility and therapeutic modalities. Survey of literature]. Orv Hetil. 2017;158:683-691 pubmed publisher..The term 'oncofertility' has been compounded from two expressions, 'oncology' and attempts to 'fertility preservation'...
- Arav A, Natan Y. Chapter 16 Directional Freezing of Ovarian Tissue and Freeze-Drying of Stem Cells for Fertility Preservation. Methods Mol Biol. 2017;1568:223-229 pubmed publisherb>Fertility preservation is practiced today for women in their fertile years who wish or need to postpone or prolong their reproductive era...
- Kim S, Youm H, Lee J, Suh C. Chapter 4 Role of Antioxidants and Antifreeze Proteins in Cryopreservation/Vitrification. Methods Mol Biol. 2017;1568:45-63 pubmed publisher..In this chapter, the experimental protocols for the use of antioxidants and antifreeze proteins in cryopreservation/vitrification are described. ..
- Hou T, Sun Y, Li J, Liu C, Wang Z, Li Y, et al. The Safety of Ovarian Preservation in Stage I Endometrial Endometrioid Adenocarcinoma Based on Propensity Score Matching. Comb Chem High Throughput Screen. 2017;20:647-655 pubmed publisher..68, P-value=0.611) and cancer-specific (HR=1.65, 95%CI=0.54-5.06, Pvalue= 0.379) survival. Ovarian preservation is safe for young women with stage I EEAC, which is not significantly associated with overall and cancer-specific mortality. ..
- Somers E, Marder W. Infertility - Prevention and Management. Rheum Dis Clin North Am. 2017;43:275-285 pubmed publisher..An understanding of the expanding options for fertility preservation strategies during gonadotoxic medications is essential...
- . Removal of myomas in asymptomatic patients to improve fertility and/or reduce miscarriage rate: a guideline. Fertil Steril. 2017;108:416-425 pubmed publisher..In women with asymptomatic cavity-distorting myomas, myomectomy may be considered to optimize pregnancy outcomes. ..
- Wei J, Zhang W, Feng L, Gao W. Comparison of fertility-sparing treatments in patients with early endometrial cancer and atypical complex hyperplasia: A meta-analysis and systematic review. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e8034 pubmed publisher..Further randomized-controlled studies are warranted to find out a better solution. ..
- Morewood T, Getreu N, Fuller B, Morris J, Hardiman P. The effect of thawing protocols on follicle conservation in human ovarian tissue cryopreservation. Cryo Letters. 2017;38:137-144 pubmedOvarian tissue cryopreservation has the potential to improve fertility preservation for a growing number of patients undergoing sterilising therapy, particularly where oocyte or embryo cryopreservation is not suitable...