Summary: The procedure established to evaluate the health status and risk factors of the potential DONORS of biological materials. Donors are selected based on the principles that their health will not be compromised in the process, and the donated materials, such as TISSUES or organs, are safe for reuse in the recipients.
- Jansen N, Haase Kromwijk B, Van Leiden H, Weimar W, Hoitsma A. A plea for uniform European definitions for organ donor potential and family refusal rates. Transpl Int. 2009;22:1064-72 pubmed publisher..To be able to learn from well-performing countries, it is necessary to establish uniform definitions regarding organ donation and registration of all intensive care deaths. ..
- Van Raemdonck D, Neyrinck A, Verleden G, Dupont L, Coosemans W, Decaluwe H, et al. Lung donor selection and management. Proc Am Thorac Soc. 2009;6:28-38 pubmed publisher..This article aims to update the current evidence from the literature to identify and select potential lung donors and to manage cadaveric donors to maximally increase the organ yield for lung transplantation. ..
- Fishman J, Strong D, Kuehnert M. Organ and tissue safety workshop 2007: advances and challenges. Cell Tissue Bank. 2009;10:271-80 pubmed publisher..Commitment of resources and improved coordination of efforts are required to develop essential tools to enhance safety for allograft recipients. ..
- Riley W, Schwei M, McCullough J. The United States' potential blood donor pool: estimating the prevalence of donor-exclusion factors on the pool of potential donors. Transfusion. 2007;47:1180-8 pubmed..It is recommended that a method similar to the one described in this study be utilized to additionally exclude potential donors not meeting AABB donation standards to improve accuracy of eligible blood donor estimations. ..
- Basavaraju S, Mwangi J, Nyamongo J, Zeh C, Kimani D, Shiraishi R, et al. Reduced risk of transfusion-transmitted HIV in Kenya through centrally co-ordinated blood centres, stringent donor selection and effective p24 antigen-HIV antibody screening. Vox Sang. 2010;99:212-9 pubmed publisher..recommendations including: organizing the Kenya National Blood Transfusion Service (NBTS), stringent blood donor selection, and universal screening with fourth-generation p24 antigen and HIV antibody assays...
- Schellekens J, Rozemuller E, Petersen E, van den Tweel J, Verdonck L, Tilanus M. Patients benefit from the addition of KIR repertoire data to the donor selection procedure for unrelated haematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Mol Immunol. 2008;45:981-9 pubmed..In conclusion, it is feasible and clinically relevant to add the KIR repertoire to the unrelated donor selection procedure.
- Gluckman E, Rocha V. Donor selection for unrelated cord blood transplants. Curr Opin Immunol. 2006;18:565-70 pubmed..Methods of improving engraftment are currently under investigation. ..
- Young M, Potter V, Kulasekararaj A, Mufti G, Marsh J. Haematopoietic stem cell transplantation for acquired aplastic anaemia. Curr Opin Hematol. 2013;20:515-20 pubmed publisher..Further research is needed to advance our understanding of the role HSCT has to play in SAA with particular emphasis on alternative donor sources and identifying optimal conditioning regimens. ..
- Davison K, Conti S, Brailsford S. The risk of transfusion-transmitted HIV from blood donations of men who have sex with men, 12 months after last sex with a man: 2005-2007 estimates from England and Wales. Vox Sang. 2013;105:85-8 pubmed publisher..Poorer compliance of MSM with a 12-month deferral would be expected to increase the estimated risk, whereas improved compliance could decrease risk by up to 29·1%. ..
- Burgos D, Gonzalez Molina M, Ruiz Esteban P, Gutierrez C, Rodriguez M, Fuentes L, et al. Rate of long-term graft loss has fallen among kidney transplants from cadaveric donors. Transplant Proc. 2012;44:2558-60 pubmed publisher..005). In conclusion, both short- and long-term graft survival increased significantly at our center. ..
- Arnau A, Rodrigo E, Minambres E, Ruiz J, Ballesteros M, Piñera C, et al. Prediction of kidney transplant outcome by donor quality scoring systems: expanded criteria donor and deceased donor score. Transplant Proc. 2012;44:2555-7 pubmed publisher..DDS and ECD scoring systems are based on donor information available at the time of transplantation that predict 1-year graft function. Moreover in our center, DDS was better to predict DGF and death-censored graft survival than ECD. ..
- La Raja M, Barcobello M, Bet N, Dolfini P, Florean M, Tomasella F, et al. Incidental finding of monoclonal gammopathy in blood donors: a follow-up study. Blood Transfus. 2012;10:338-43 pubmed publisher..Permanent deferral of blood donors with stable MGUS causes about a 1% loss of potential blood donations and it represents a "precautionary measure" that needs to be substantiated and validated. ..
- Arcese W, Mangione I, Picardi A. Algorithm for donor selection in 2011. Curr Opin Hematol. 2011;18:401-7 pubmed publisher..The therapeutic policy following the concept of 'donor versus no donor' should presently be changed according to the concept of 'transplant versus no transplant'. ..
- Fargione R, Channa P. Cornea donors who have had prior refractive surgery: data from the Eye Bank Association of America. Curr Opin Ophthalmol. 2016;27:323-6 pubmed publisher..Multiple objective methods of tissue identification have been investigated to avoid the use of these corneas in penetrating or anterior keratoplasty surgeries. ..
- Singhal D, Pribaz J, Pomahac B. The Brigham and Women's Hospital face transplant program: a look back. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2012;129:81e-88e pubmed publisher..They discuss the process of establishing a face transplant program, the clinical case, and the lessons learned. ..
- Yamanaka Okumura H, Urano E, Kawaura A, Imura S, Utsunomiya T, Shimada M, et al. Treatment of rapid weight loss in a donor with hepatic steatosis in living donor liver transplantation: a case report. Hepatogastroenterology. 2012;59:869-71 pubmed publisher..Therefore, energy metabolism and NEFA levels represent important biomarkers for short-term intensive treatment by restricted diet and exercise in donors with hepatic steatosis. ..
- Dorwal P, Gautam D, Sharma D, Singh D, Raina V. Donor biopsy in living donor liver transplantation: is it still relevant in a developing country?. Malays J Pathol. 2015;37:39-43 pubmed..We conclude that the liver biopsy still continues to be relevant especially in a developing country and does add additional information to the diagnostic work-up of a liver donor. ..
- Jalanko H, Mattila I, Holmberg C. Renal transplantation in infants. Pediatr Nephrol. 2016;31:725-35 pubmed publisher..The overall outcome of infant RTx has dramatically improved, with long-term patient and graft survivals of over 90 and 80Â %, respectively. ..
- Pandanaboyana S, Longbotham D, Hostert L, Attia M, Baker R, Menon K, et al. Transplantation of liver and kidney from donors with malignancy at the time of donation: an experience from a single centre. Transpl Int. 2016;29:73-80 pubmed publisher..The risk of transmission from donors with CNS and low-grade renal malignancy remains extremely low. ..
- Eris C, Akbulut S, Sakçak I, Kayaalp C, Ara C, Yilmaz S. Liver transplant with a marginal donor graft containing a hydatid cyst--a case report. Transplant Proc. 2013;45:828-30 pubmed publisher..The cyst may be resected on the back table with a successful treatment outcome. ..
- Ferla F, Mariani A, Di Sandro S, Buscemi V, Lauterio A, Mangoni J, et al. Do Older Liver Grafts Have Worse Survival? The Niguarda Experience. Transplant Proc. 2016;48:362-5 pubmed publisher..026). Therefore, the present study suggests that elderly livers should be allocated to hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) patients and should be avoided in HCV+ recipients. ..
- Ortiz J, Gunselman J, Javed I, Campos S, Khanmoradi K, Zaki R. Are hepatitis C-positive allografts in simultaneous pancreas-kidney transplantation underutilized?. Ann Transplant. 2012;17:39-44 pubmed..Aggressive use of HCV(+) organs for SPKT could potentially lead to earlier transplantation for HCV(+) recipients and allow HCV(-) organs to be available more quickly for HCV(-) recipients additional research of this topic is warranted. ..
- Kaur G, Kumar N, Nandakumar R, Rapthap C, Sharma G, Neolia S, et al. Utility of saliva and hair follicles in donor selection for hematopoietic stem cell transplantation and chimerism monitoring. Chimerism. 2012;3:9-17 pubmed..This study shows that DNA obtained post-HSCT from hair follicles can be used to generate pre-transplant patient specific fingerprints while the STR profiles obtained in saliva samples cannot as these display a mixed state of chimerism. ..
- Heng W, Seck T, Tay C, Chua A, Song C, Lim C, et al. Homograft banking in Singapore: two years of cardiovascular tissue banking in Southeast Asia. Cell Tissue Bank. 2013;14:187-94 pubmed publisher..More than half of these recipients were children. Post-operative outcomes had been encouraging, with no report of adverse events attributed to implanted homografts. ..
- Nguyen M, Goff T, Gibble J, Steele W, Leiby D. Analyzing actual risk in malaria-deferred donors through selective serologic testing. Transfusion. 2013;53:1736-43 pubmed publisher..S. donors who travel to Quintana Roo and other low-risk areas in Mexico. A more effective approach to preventing TTM would be to defer all donors with a history of malaria, even if remote. ..
- Song G, Lee S. Living donor liver transplantation. Curr Opin Organ Transplant. 2014;19:217-22 pubmed publisher..Further technical refinement and investigation to overcome the disadvantages of partial grafts will broaden the applicability of LDLT. ..
- Al Mohaissen M, Ignaszewski A, Cheung A, Kaan A, Chiu W, Kealy J, et al. A successful 4S heart transplantation. Can J Cardiol. 2011;27:679-81 pubmed publisher..The success of this case gives hope to patients and provides insights into the treatment of sensitized patients. ..
- Lee W, Chan K, Chou H, Wu T, Lee C, Soong R, et al. Feasibility of split liver transplantation for 2 adults in the model of end-stage liver disease era. Ann Surg. 2013;258:306-11 pubmed publisher..Split liver transplantation for 2 adults is still feasible in the MELD era. ..
- Simforoosh N, Basiri A, Tabibi A, Javanmard B, Kashi A, Soltani M, et al. Living Unrelated Versus Related Kidney Transplantation: A 25-Year Experience with 3716 Cases. Urol J. 2016;13:2546-51 pubmed..It seems that the outcome of LURD and LRD is comparable in terms of patient and graft survival. Therefore, transplants from LURDs may be proposed as an acceptable management for patients with end stage renal disease. ..
- Mandelbrot D, Pavlakis M. Living donor practices in the United States. Adv Chronic Kidney Dis. 2012;19:212-9 pubmed publisher..In this article, we review the current knowledge about living donor practices in the United States. ..
- O Brien S, Scalia V, Goldman M, Fan W, Yi Q, Dines I, et al. Selective testing for Trypanosoma cruzi: the first year after implementation at Canadian Blood Services. Transfusion. 2013;53:1706-13 pubmed publisher..Most positive donors were born in a risk country, with a concentration of German-speaking immigrants from Paraguay. Residency or travel alone were not clear risk factors. ..
- Jawitz O, G Jawitz N, Yuh D, Bonde P. Impact of ABO compatibility on outcomes after heart transplantation in a national cohort during the past decade. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2013;146:1239-45; discussion 1245-6 pubmed publisher..Blood type O donor grafts, however, were associated with decreased survival. This has important implications for current graft allocation policies, particularly for type B recipients. ..
- Sharma R, Madan N, Venkatesh S, Ichhpujani R, Lal S. Factors influencing blood donations and the rational use of blood. J Commun Dis. 2010;42:185-90 pubmed..A total of 10% were not aware about the blood donation while 15% said that donation time was inconvenient. Of the 50 clinicians, a quarter of them were not aware of the rational use of blood. ..
- Maccarini J, Nazario C, Ferreira J, Ceglio W, Serpa R, Ferreira V, et al. Positive serology for viral hepatitis and donor self-exclusion in Southern Brazil. Rev Soc Bras Med Trop. 2013;46:403-10 pubmed publisher..01). No variables were independently associated with self-exclusion. A history of blood transfusion, repeated donations, and self-exclusion are factors that should be considered during viral hepatitis screenings in blood banks. ..
- Woodward M, Ross K, Requard J, Sugar A, Shtein R. Impact of surgeon acceptance parameters on cost and availability of corneal donor tissue for transplantation. Cornea. 2013;32:737-40 pubmed publisher..Tissue criteria restrictions would affect corneal surgeons and eye banks. Restrictions on donor age and ECD would decrease the availability of surgically suitable tissue and increase the costs of cornea transplant tissue. ..
- Lim W, McDonald S, Coates P, Chapman J, Russ G, Wong G. Maternal compared with paternal donor kidneys are associated with poorer graft outcomes after kidney transplantation. Kidney Int. 2016;89:659-65 pubmed publisher..Hence, clinicians and patients should be cognizant of this association when determining which of the 2 parental donors is most suitable for transplantation. ..
- Ferrari P, Hughes P, Cohney S, Woodroffe C, Fidler S, D Orsogna L. ABO-incompatible matching significantly enhances transplant rates in kidney paired donation. Transplantation. 2013;96:821-6 pubmed publisher..Acceptance of blood group-incompatible donors for patients with low to moderate anti-blood group antibody significantly increases transplant rates for highly sensitized recipients. ..
- Croome R, Bartl B. Cain v Australian Red Cross Society: the case for universal blood donation reform. J Law Med. 2013;20:671-91 pubmed
- Patel H, Kute V, Ghelani G, Vanikar A, Shah P, Gumber M, et al. Outcome of deceased donor renal transplantation - a single-center experience from developing country. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl. 2013;24:403-7 pubmed..57% and 86.8%, respectively, with mean SCr of 1.42 ± 0.66 mg%. DDRTx achieves acceptable graft function with patient/graft survival, encouraging the use of this approach in view of organ shortage. ..
- Briceno J, Ciria R, De la Mata M. Donor-recipient matching: myths and realities. J Hepatol. 2013;58:811-20 pubmed publisher..All of them, with their pros and cons, offer an exciting controversial topic to be discussed. All of them together define D-R matching today, turning into myth what we considered a reality in the past. ..
- ..Overall success for living donor kidney transplantation is better than conventional cadaver transplant without imposing a high level of risk to the donor. The kidney can be removed by laparoscopic surgery or by traditional open surgery. ..
- Oikawa M, Hatakeyama S, Narita T, Yamamoto H, Hosogoe S, Imai A, et al. Safety and Effectiveness of Marginal Donor in Living Kidney Transplantation. Transplant Proc. 2016;48:701-5 pubmed publisher..No significant differences were observed between the groups regarding donor renal function. Careful marginal donor selection can be safe and feasible for donors and recipients of living kidney transplantation; however, it may have a ..
- Zambudio N, Fundora Y, Muffak K, Villegas T, Becerra A, Garrote D, et al. Experience of the transplant unit from Virgen de las Nieves Hospital in using liver grafts from asystolic donors. Transplant Proc. 2013;45:3573-4 pubmed publisher..After the analysis we conclude that, despite the limited number of cases in our series, the results are compatible with larger series and permit us to continue to value this method as a resource for broadening the donor pool. ..
- Kitchen A, Hewitt P, Chiodini P. The early implementation of Trypanosoma cruzi antibody screening of donors and donations within England: preempting a problem. Transfusion. 2012;52:1931-9 pubmed publisher..cruzi was developed and has been used successfully for over 10 years that includes donor selection and donation screening. Donor selection criteria to identify specific risk of T...
- Sage E, De Wolf J, Puyo P, Bonnette P, Glorion M, Salley N, et al. Real-Time Computed Tomography Highlights Pulmonary Parenchymal Evolution During Ex Vivo Lung Reconditioning. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017;103:e535-e537 pubmed publisher..The aim of this study was to analyze the feasibility of real-time computed tomographic (CT) imaging to improve the evaluation of the lung during EVLP procedures. ..